ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Aug 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 11023
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 5,556
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: darla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáí
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 758

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : darla ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
Wink

Chapter 7
T he moon’s glow, the only light in a midnight sky on the lonely two-lane country road, became a beacon of normalcy in a world turned suddenly on end. A cold numbness stole over Emma, and she couldn’t think, couldn’t begin to comprehend what had happened back at Wolvesrain. She clutched herself and hunkered down in the passenger’s seat.

There were so many things she wanted to say, to ask, but she couldn’t seem to form the words. With a mounting roar, the Mercedes picked up speed, accelerating down the road, the smooth suspension hugging the turns. Intent on the road before him, Damien never hesitated, never slowed, hastening them forward as if the devil himself were on their tail.

And perhaps he was.

After what Emma had seen back at the house—and she still didn’t know exactly what it was that she’d seen—she was no longer sure of anything. That man who’d grabbed her…he’d just disappeared. Damien had shoved something into his chest and—poof! Gone. Dust. Not for the first time since they’d left, shivers stole over her, threatening to shake loose what was left of her sanity.

“How’re you holding up?” Damien asked and turned to look at her, the incandescent glow from the dashboard light casting shadows along his cheekbones and honing his jawline to a razor-sharp edge. She stilled, staring at the otherworldly sheen in his luminous eyes.

“Emma?”

The sound of her name emitting from his lips sent a quick thump to her already unsteady heartbeat.

“I don’t know,” she blurted. What could she say? That she was wondering if her tenuous grasp on reality had finally slipped?

He reached over and touched her arm. “It’s okay. For tonight, the worst is over.”

She wished she could believe him. Wished she could trust that things couldn’t possibly get any worse. Unfortunately, she knew only too well that they could. She turned to glance at her father, lying on the backseat. His face was ghostly pale, but his breathing appeared to be steady.

If only he’d wake up and smile at her, and assure her that everything would be all right, then maybe she could stop the trembling in her hands. But he looked so frail, so vulnerable, and she worried he might never wake.

“The Cadre has some of the best doctors in the country working with them,” Damien said. “If something can be done to save him, they’ll find it.”

His words gave her hope. She took a deep breath and turned around to face the front, forcing back the tears that threatened to consume her. She would not cry. Not now. Not while there was still a chance that he was right, and something could be done.

“Why don’t you try and get some rest? We won’t be at St. Yve for a couple more hours.”

Rest. The thought tempted her, and she wished she could, but fear and doubt kept racing around her mind. What was going to happen to them? And how could she place all her faith, her hope in the Cadre? Hadn’t Lucia told her time and again that if it hadn’t been for the Cadre, her mother would be alive and with them today? Any yet here she was, speeding down the road with a virtual stranger, being asked to put her father’s life and her safety in their custody.

Her gaze once more fell to Damien’s hands as they clutched the steering wheel. They weren’t overly large hands. He wasn’t an overly large man. There wasn’t anything about him that was threatening, and yet she wasn’t sure she could trust him. One minute he had her burning with desire and the next, she was quaking with utter fear.

“What happened back there?” she blurted, not wanting to follow the direction her thoughts were taking, not sure she wanted to analyze them too much.

He hesitated, and she could tell he was debating whether or not to tell her.

“Please,” she added. “That was my home, and Lucia—” anxiety grasped her heart as she considered the woman who’d raised her. “She’s still there.”

He looked at her, his gaze serious. “Trust me, Lucia knows exactly what she’s up against, and how to fight them. She’ll be all right.”

“What exactly is she up against?” Emma pressed. “I have a right to know.” She looked over her shoulder into the back seat at her father.

“They won’t bother her,” he hesitated, then said, “It was you they were after.”

The low timbre of his voice, the deadly sincerity of his tone, caught the breath in her throat. Cold fear flushed through her system, dampening her palms and the nape of her neck. “Why?” she choked, the word little more than a whisper.

“Because of your blood.”

“My blood?” She stared at him, not sure she heard him right, but even as she tried to sort it out, to comprehend the meaning behind his words, pain twisted inside her. “You mean because of my family? Because I’m a McGovern?” Her stomach soured. What did her family lineage have to do with anything? “Tell me, please,” she demanded, looking at him through the veil of her hair.

“No. Because of your blood.” He grabbed her arm where the vampire had scratched her with his long nails. “They’re vampires. They want your blood.”

“Vampires,” she said, and something hysterical bubbled inside her. “All my life I’ve been warned by Lucia not to fall in love, that some demented gypsy witch had cursed my family. And every year, I’ve had to live in fear that the devil’s wolves would come back just for me. And now you’re telling me vampires are after me, too? What is this, some kind of freaking nightmare?”

“I’m sorry. But yes, your blood is different. What happened when you were a child, with the wolves, it changed you. It’s made you…different.”

“You mean when the wolves bit me?”

“Yes. We need to know why they bit you. What happened that night?”

She looked at him, at the eeriness in the dashboard lights playing across his face, and the haunting depths of his tone. What happened that night? She remembered her mother’s tight grasp on her arm as she pulled her toward her, toward the wolves.

Bile rose in the back of her throat as memories bombarded her. Blood. Death. And the evil glow of red in her eyes. “Please, stop the car,” she insisted, and clutched the door handle as the car slowed. She remembered Mr. Lausen’s blood, dripping from his clutched fingers and running across the floor, racing toward her.

And something else. Some kind of darkness in her mother’s widened eyes. She’d tried to get away, but the wolves—one of them knocked her down. It had stood over her and growled, baring its fangs.

Her stomach heaved. She covered her mouth as Damien veered the car to the side of the road, and skidded to a top. She practically fell out the door. As she vomited along the side of the road, she knew, without a doubt, that her nightmares weren’t over, they were only just beginning.

The wolves had scarred her, they’d changed her, and now she was different. Yes, she knew that. She’d always known that. Tears spilled down her cheeks. The wolves had changed everything.

Five minutes later, after sitting in the grass on the side of the road trying to reach a state of calm, her stomach had settled enough for her to get back on the road.

“Will you be all right?” Damien asked.

She looked up at him and nodded, then tried to stand, but she couldn’t seem to control the shaking in her legs.

Damien placed a steadying arm around her waist and helped her back to the car. “We won’t let it happen, I promise,” Damien said, and eased her into the seat— gently, as if she were a child, as if she were precious. He reached out and ran a finger along the scars on her cheek. “The Cadre will protect you.”

She looked up into his eyes, so sincere, so full of caring and a dam inside her burst and her tears spilled over, washing down her face. “I wish I could believe you.”

He gave her a solemn nod. “You will.” Then he gently shut the door. He walked around to the driver’s side, silently got in and pulled back out onto the road. “What’s more, we’ll teach you how to protect yourself. The Equinox is only two days away, and with its arrival, all hell will break loose on Wolvesrain.”

Emma’s eyes opened as she felt the car slowing. She’d taken his advice and slept. She’d had to. She couldn’t continue thinking about everything he’d said, and what it had all meant. The trees parted and suddenly a castle perched on a small hill came into view. Moonlight gleaming off a river that flowed through the dense trees cast a preternatural glow on the stone peaks and turrets of the building. “Is that it?”

Damien looked over at her. “That’s it. How are you feeling?”

“As well as can be expected,” she muttered, distracted by the rabbits, at least she thought they were rabbits, chasing one another across the large expanse of lawn before disappearing into a thick forest lit by a rainbow. She blinked and the rainbow was gone. She shook her head, sure she must be mistaken, then gasped. “Is that a…no, it couldn’t be.”

“There’s a lot of old magic in this area,” Damien said, the corners of his mouth twisting into a smirk. “And not all of it is harmless. It’s important to stay within the grounds of the castle. Don’t venture into the woods, no matter how enchanting the paths may look, no matter how strongly you feel the call to wander along the water’s edge. Humans don’t stand a chance in St. Yve Wood after dark.”

“Humans? What do you mean? What will happen?”

“Evil,” he muttered under his breath.

Emma swallowed.

“Mischief. Foul play. Whatever you want to call it. People don’t always come back from St. Yve Wood.”

“Great,” she muttered, as they skirted a large pond, crossed a small stone bridge and followed a pebbled road up toward the castle on the hill. “As if vampires and demon wolves aren’t enough, now I’m driving through haunted woods.”

“Enchanted,” he said softly.

“What?”

“Not haunted. More like enchanted.”

“I see. Thanks for enlightening me.” They turned a bend and stopped before a large iron gate behind which sat a small white cottage covered in thick vines of red roses.

Damien let out a soft curse, then blew the horn.

Emma leaned forward to get a closer look at the cottage’s gingerbread trim through the dim coach lamps on either side of the door. “It’s kind of cute,” she said, not knowing what she expected.

No one answered the blare of their horn, and the gate before them stayed shut. Damien hit the horn again, and held it until finally the door opened. A sweet-looking elderly woman stepped out onto the porch. She held up her hand to shield her eyes from the glare of the headlights.

Damien didn’t turn them off. Emma looked over at him, confused by the hard line of his jaw, and the animosity on his face. He was looking at the sweet old thing with pure hatred in his eyes.

“What’s the matter?” she asked, and was almost afraid of his answer.

“Nothing,” Damien muttered, then said something under his breath she didn’t quite catch.

The woman approached the iron fence beside the cottage and reached high into a tangle of jasmine vines. A small gate opened. She walked through it and toward the car. Damien rolled down his window halfway. The woman stepped right up to the glass and peered inside. Her gaze took in each of them, passing over Damien, her father, before finally resting on Emma. “What is the purpose of your visit?” she asked, looking over the rims of her spectacles.

The poor thing was still in her nightgown and nightcap. “We’re so sorry,” Emma started.

“You know why we’re here,” Damien interrupted. “Nica told you we’d be coming. Now open the gate and let us in.”

The woman’s eyes narrowed, became dark slits in the folds of her face. “Watch your tongue, dark one.” Her spectacled gaze held his for an uncomfortably long moment before she turned to Emma and smiled.

With her soft gray curls and deep crescent-moon dimples, she looked harmless. Almost. “What is your business at St. Yve?” she asked.

“My father needs medical attention,” Emma said and gestured toward her father in the back seat. “The Cadre has offered to help.”

“Yes, he certainly needs it. Has the mark of the devil, he does. In fact, you all do.” She wrinkled her nose. “I can smell it on you.”

Emma frowned. “Excuse me?”

“It’s all right, Ophelia,” a man’s voice called from inside the cottage. He stepped out the door, hunched over a cane, and wobbled toward them. “Ms. Barrows just called and authorized their visit.”

The older woman’s eyes narrowed and, for a second, Emma could have sworn they flashed green. She shook her head. She must be more tired than she thought.

“They’ve made the appropriate accommodations,” the man continued, his voice rasping and barely audible. He stopped as a violent tremble shook him from head to toe. Emma gasped, afraid he might fall, but then the tremors stopped, and he carried on his way again, heading for the small opening in the fence.

“Never tire of the games, eh, Ophelia?” Damien sneered. “You must get awfully bored. I know I am.”

“How is that lady friend of yours, dark one? Still languishing away up there in the stone keep?” She leaned forward, a twinkle in her eye, her tone delightful. “Is your heart still attached to hers, growing weaker day by day, fading with each passing moon until it becomes nothing but a shadow of what-could-have-been?”

Damien didn’t move. Not a muscle, not an eyelash, but his knuckles whitened as he grasped the steering wheel. Emma wondered what “lady friend” the woman was referring to.

The woman laughed and suddenly she didn’t sound so old, nor did she look so frail. “Ah, maybe I’ll start calling you ‘regretful one.’”

“Are you going to let us through or keep wasting our time with useless chitchat?” Damien asked through gritted teeth.

“Come, Ophelia,” the old man said, as he finally reached them. “Let them through. Their troubles have only just begun. Can’t you smell it on them? Death and fear—” he made a breathy noise as he loudly inhaled the air. “Sickly sweet.” He grinned, his skin stretching into something hideous over his large yellow teeth.

“And that one,” he said, gesturing toward Emma with his trembling rheumatic fingers “She has the essence, flowing in her blood.”

She started to shake at his words, a slow tremble that moved up her legs and encapsulated all of her.

“All the more reason to send her packing now,” the woman said with a small rasp.

Emma stiffened, pushing herself back into her seat. Who were these people?

“That’s enough,” Damien barked. “Now, open the gate, or you’ll both be feeling my essence.”

The woman’s paper-thin lips shut tight. “Don’t threaten me, boy. I used to eat your kind for lunch. Bloody parasites. You serve no useful purpose in the world.” She twisted her mouth into a smirk. “You’re not even pretty to look at.”

“Let’s go, Ophelia.” Her husband grabbed her by the arm and turned her back toward the cottage, took two steps then stopped as another bout of shaking took hold of him.

Emma let out a deep breath as Damien rolled up his window. “They are…horrible,” she said, and tried to calm her fluttering nerves.

“They’re the estate’s threshold guardians,” Damien explained. “It’s their job to keep out undesirables.” The word caught on something in his throat.

“Undesirables? Then why were they so interested in us?” Emma asked, and noticed that the man’s shaking suddenly stopped and he stood straighter, growing larger as they drove through the gate. He smiled widely and waved to her, the gesture nearly stopping her heart, as if he’d reached deep inside her chest and crushed it within his frozen bony grasp.

She patted her chest and took a deep breath, then turned to ask Damien to explain why they would be so undesirable, but stopped as they drove through the gates. Her breath caught in her throat and all words escaped her as she took in the magnificence of the estate.

Before them, the moon’s reflection shimmered in a large oval pond surrounded by a lush emerald lawn. A lone swan drifted majestically across the water’s rippled surface. Wonderment filled her as her gaze drank in the beauty. No detail was spared, down to the carvings in the intricate stonework of the castle walls, the peaked roof complete with iron adornments and ornate balustrades surrounding open-air balconies and square towers.

Never in her wild imaginings could she ever have pictured any place more beautiful. “It’s incredible,” she muttered.

“We’re approaching the entrance to the main part of the estate where the family of the Earl of St. Yve lives. The Cadre entrance and the hospital wing is housed around back,” Damien said as they followed a cobblestone road up to the large castle.

They drove up to a porte cochere flanked by two large stone gargoyles whose ribbed wing tips expanded a good ten feet across the road, creating an almost menacing arch for them to pass under. Emma quickly rolled down her window, then stuck her head out and peered up at the gargoyle’s wings as they passed beneath them.

She smiled in amazement at the fine details carved into stone—long veins and sharp bones jutting beneath sinewy muscles stretched taut. She looked up into the beast’s eyes, and they blinked, their inky blackness focusing on her. Emma gasped, and dropped back into the car so fast, she hit her head on the roof.

“What is it?” Damien asked, a trace of a grin twisting his lips.

She glanced behind her, but saw only cold, hard eyes of stone. “Nothing. I’m sorry.”

He looked at her, eyebrows cocked.

“This place is like something out of a Grimm Brothers fairy tale—fantasy with an underbelly of malice.”

He nodded. “That’s one way of putting it.”

“Do you have another?”

“Not one I’d mention in front of a lady.”

She saw amusement twinkling in the corners of his eyes, and wondered if this was all just a dream, a twisted terrible dream.

“Don’t worry, this night will end.”

“And then where will I be tomorrow?”

“Ah, the portrait of tomorrow depends on choices we paint today.”

She stared at him, her mouth twisting into a smirk. “Great, I’ve been rescued from vampires and demon wolves and delivered to an enchanted creepy castle by a very strange poet.”

He took a deep breath, and parked the car. “All in a day’s work. But don’t worry, we won’t let you get too comfortable, your time has only begun.”

Her chest filled with dread. “I’m afraid to ask.”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 22-11-07, 07:04 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 17
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: darla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáí

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter 8
A s they parked the car two footmen, waiting with a gurney for her father, rushed forward. Emma bit her lip and squeezed her dad’s hand as they secured him onto the gurney. Without saying a word to her, they hurried him inside. Emma took a step to follow, but Damien stopped her with a gentle hand on her arm as a tall, exquisitely dressed woman approached.

“Hello, Damien,” the woman said, and leaned in to air-kiss his cheek.

Emma felt him stiffen next to her. She didn’t know what she’d expected on the drive to St. Yve, but it wasn’t this woman with her silk pantsuit, perfectly coiffed hair and impeccable makeup in the middle of the night.

“Welcome to St. Yve,” the woman said and held out a long, slender hand with polished red nails. “I’m Nica Barrows. Anything you need during your visit I’m here to help you with.”

“Thank you,” Emma said, shaking her hand. “But the only thing I need right now is to see to my father.”

“Of course. That’s perfectly understandable. Let’s give the doctors a little time to finish their examination, then we’ll see what we can do.”

Emma stared at her for a moment, feeling slightly off-balanced and confused by her frosty demeanor. “But don’t you need me to talk to the doctors, to give them my father’s medical history? How can they possibly help him, or understand what happened without talking to me first?”

Ms. Barrows clasped her hands in front of her, and straightened her shoulders, making them even squarer than Emma thought possible. “No need,” she said in her ultra-smooth tone. “We’ve already contacted Dr. Callahan and have all his paperwork on file. We’ve also spoken to Ms. Lucia and she filled us in on what happened at Wolvesrain.”

Emma’s heart squeezed painfully in her chest. “Lucia? You talked to Lucia?” Would Lucia talk to the Cadre? The very people she had spent years admonishing? Emma turned to Damien, the question clear on her face. He only shrugged, which didn’t help any. So much for her grand poetic rescuer.

“Don’t be alarmed,” Nica said gently and offered a smile, but the smile didn’t reach her eyes, and didn’t offer Emma a smidgen of comfort. “I know it’s hard to believe or even comprehend,” she continued, “but we’ve been keeping extensive records on your family for years. We have everything we need to help you, to keep you and your father safe.”

Emma stilled. She looked from Damien to the woman, then back to Damien again. But found no answers from him. What did she mean, they’d kept records for years? Had Emma made a mistake? Should she have turned her father over to the Cadre? Should she have even come to this…this place?

She thought of the spiky-haired man pulling her out of Damien’s car, the snarl on his face, the monster sheen in his eyes. Damien had said he was a vampire. A vampire! And what about Ophelia and her whacked-out husband, or the gleam in the gargoyle’s eyes, had she imagined everything? Had she finally lost her mind, or was her world really coming apart and she needed them to help her…to keep her safe?

Her vision darkened around the edges, and her stomach did the flip-flop dance, once more threatening to spill. Her knees buckled. Damien grabbed her around the waist, and easily lifted her into his arms. She leaned against his hard chest, hearing the soft thud of his heartbeat, smelling the richness of his scent, feeling the warmth of his skin. God, she hoped she was right, and she could trust him. She wanted so badly to, more than she’d wanted anything.

“We’ve had a rough night,” Damien said, and stepped forward toward the castle. “Emma needs to rest. Can we do the interrogation in the morning?”

Emma brought her arm up and wrapped it around his neck. Interrogation? Was that what was happening here?

Ms. Barrow’s eyes narrowed. “Please believe that we have your best interest at heart, Emma. We’ve been trying to break Camilla’s curse and help your family for a long time.”

Emma closed her eyes. Instead of helping, the woman’s words sent a cold wave of anxiety washing through her. Camilla’s curse. “I’m okay,” she said to Damien. “You can put me down.”

He did, and she reluctantly let go of him, then followed Ms. Barrows as she turned and walked toward the doorway they had taken her father through, the doorway that led into the bowels of the castle.

Damien pressed his hand to the small of Emma’s back, the slight pressure urging her forward. Against the warning bells clanging in her mind, she allowed him to lead her inside the giant wooden doors and into Cadre headquarters at St. Yve.

The lobby of the castle was luxurious and lined with thick red carpet. The room was sparsely furnished in antique red velvet settees and chairs. Mahogany tables held Tiffany lamps that splashed a multitude of jeweled colors against the gray stone walls. Intricate tapestries were hung everywhere to warm the room, displaying scenes of enchanted forests and magical images of fairies and unicorns.

But Emma’s eyes kept drifting back to the carpet and the overwhelming color of red so deep it seemed to move, to ebb and flow, as if it were an organ, and she were standing in the beating heart of this castle.

She shook her head to try and dispel the image, but it stuck and with one leaden step after another, she followed Ms. Barrows up a wide staircase adorned with sharp pointed wrought-iron rails to the second floor and down another bloodred hallway.

Perhaps Damien was right. Perhaps she needed to rest. More likely she never should have come here in the first place, and she certainly should never have let her father out of her sight.

But before she could ask after him again, Ms. Barrows stopped before a door painted with an exquisite peacock, the delicate brush strokes detailing an array of gold, greens and blues. Breathtaking in its beauty, it would have been enchanting if it weren’t for the bird’s sharply pointed talons and hooked beak piercing a fat green worm.

“You both have been appointed guest suites,” Ms. Barrows said. “Damien, yours is the dragon room, two doors down.” Emma shuddered at the thought of what was painted on that door.

Ms. Barrows opened the door before them, displaying a lavish room unlike anything Emma had ever seen. She gestured them forward, and Emma stepped cautiously into the room, relieved that the dominant colors were blues and greens.

“Thank you, Nica,” Damien was saying, but Emma ignored them as she collapsed into the nearest chair and closed her eyes. “Enchanted,” she whispered. This whole place was an enchanted nightmare.

“We have a long day and a lot of work ahead of us if we’re going to have any chance of beating this thing,” Ms. Barrows was saying. “Try and get some rest.”

Emma opened her eyes, and looked at her through fuzzy bleariness. “I’m sorry? What do you mean?”

“I know you don’t know much about us and what we do, but we didn’t just bring you here to save you from the wolves, or to hide you from the curse. We want to help you fight this evil, and we mean to succeed. To do that, we’re going to need your help, and we’re going to need you on top of your game, not dead on your feet.”

Emma didn’t care for her tone, nor the way the woman was looming over her.

“There’s an old evil lurking at Wolvesrain,” Ms. Barrows continued. “And we mean to capture it and keep it from ever coming back again.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Emma responded, sitting up straighter and crossing her legs. “But I won’t sleep and I won’t help you until I know that my father’s okay.”

“And you will, tomorrow.”

Emma’s fists clenched at her sides. She narrowed her eyes and pinned the woman with a look she hoped would curl her toes. “No, I need to see my father, now. Then, and only then, will I help you.” Emma’s teeth hurt. She unclenched her jaw, but not for a second did she look away from Ms. Barrow’s frozen gaze. She held it steady until at last the woman turned away.

“Very well, then. Follow me.”

Surprised, Emma stood on wobbly legs. That went easier than she’d thought it would.

“Bravo,” Damien whispered in her ear, his praise sending an unexpected flush of warmth to her heart. He patted her shoulder, then stepped forward. “Nica?”

The woman stopped and turned back to him, clearly annoyed.

“I won’t be in need of the dragon room. If you’d call and give me access, I’ll be collecting the demon-containment crystals and be on my way back to Wolvesrain.”

“What?” Emma gasped, and grabbed his arm. “You’re not staying?”

“You’ll be fine,” he said softly. “It’s better that I go back alone. Nothing will happen to you here.”

“Are you kidding? In this place?” She opened her arms wide, her shock raising the tempo of her voice to near shrillness.

He looked at her, the regret clear in his eyes, causing panic to swell in her chest.

“Please,” she said. “This place is like something from a reaper’s twisted dream. Don’t leave me here alone.”

He touched her chin, his thumb caressing her jaw. “I’m sorry. I must go. You will be okay here. I promise.”

She jerked away from him as anger, hurt and betrayal melded and rose in her chest to choke her. He was leaving her in this nightmare alone.

“They will teach you everything you need to know. And I hope that if I do my job right you can go back home to Wolvesrain, and never have to worry about the wolves ever again.”

“Or the vampires?”

He glanced at Nica, then turned back to her. “We can only hope.”

She stared at him, then asked herself why she was so surprised. Why wouldn’t he leave her? His job was to collect her and deliver her to the Cadre. He’d done just that, and anything she might have imagined was between them was just that—her imagination running overtime. Tears burned the back of her eyes. She was such an idiot.

How could she think they had something? That he cared about her? They’d only known each other for one night. One long, eventful night unlike any she’d ever had before. And if she were lucky, unlike any she’d ever have again.

“All right,” Nica said to Damien. “But come with me while I take Emma to her father. Obviously there are some things we need to discuss before you go.”

Damien searched her porcelain face, but couldn’t discern anything from her expression. As usual. In order for her to display an emotion, she’d first have to be able to feel one. Something he’d never seen Nica do, unlike Emma whose every thought shimmered in her exquisite eyes.

Her misplaced trust and open vulnerability ate at him. He knew he could never offer her what she needed—someone to depend on, someone to be there for her. He’d been called a lot of things over the centuries, but a hero wasn’t one of them.

He sighed. It was just as well Emma had become disillusioned with him now, because if she ever found out the truth about him, she’d run as far and as fast from him as she could. He followed Nica down one hallway after another, refusing to look at Emma again, to see the disappointment lingering in her eyes.

As they reached the hospital wing, he and Emma stood outside Mr. McGovern’s door as Nica spoke in hushed tones to the nurse in charge. Emma fidgeted. He could feel her eyes on him, could sense the sadness emanating from her. She needed him to comfort her, to assure her that everything would be all right. And he wanted to give that to her, but didn’t. He had to pull back. He only hoped, for her sake, that her father hadn’t worsened, that the Cadre doctors had been able to determine what the wolves had done to him and how to help him.

Nica and the nurse gestured for them to enter, and they walked into Mr. McGovern’s room. He was lying on the bed, an IV drip in his arm, an oxygen mask over his face. He looked small and vulnerable, a broken man. Emma let out a soft cry and ran toward him. Damien’s legs twitched, but he held back. His first instinct was to move forward and help her, to offer her comfort, but he stopped himself.

He couldn’t be there for her. Depending on him would not help her.

“I’ve called the doctor,” the nurse informed them. “He’ll be back in a moment.”

Emma sat by the bed, her eyes large and wet. She took her father’s hand in hers and squeezed it. It was a simple gesture, and yet it moved Damien. It had been so long since he’d cared for someone that much, and since someone had cared for him.

“Excuse us, Emma?” Nica said. “Will you be all right waiting for the doctor alone?”

Emma nodded and, for a second, her gaze caught his. She wanted him to stay with her. Her longing reached inside him and touched something he’d thought was dead. And as it jerked to life, he realized he wanted to stay with her, to be there for her. But he couldn’t be. He had a job to do, and he would finish it. He wouldn’t stick around and grow close to her only to see the horror in her eyes when she discovered he wasn’t human.

He turned away from her and walked out the door. He and Nica walked down the hall in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Damien knew she wanted to talk about the vampires. He wondered if the Cadre knew it was Nicholai out there, and if they had any idea how powerful he’d become.

Probably not. If they had, they would have gone after him. They’d hunt him down and confine him in their dungeons. While demons could be contained in crystals, or sent back to the dark realm, vampires couldn’t. They had to be placed in stasis, and stored in chambers in the walls and floors.

He’d prefer death any day.

He sighed. One more thing he and the Cadre disagreed about. One more reason he had to leave here as soon as possible. He would go back and deal with Nicholai and Asmos, and he’d do it alone.

Nica turned, and he followed her down another hallway. “This will only take a moment,” she said, and stopped abruptly, opening a door in front of her.

“What is this—?” Damien stopped in midsentence as surprise sucker-punched him.

Cara.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 22-11-07, 07:05 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 18
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

[COLOR="DarkRed"] Chapter 9
P ain, razor-sharp, sliced through him. She didn’t look as he remembered. The image he carried of her in his mind was the way she’d looked the last time he’d seen her. She’d been beautiful, her cheeks full and rosy, her hair long and shining as it rested on her shoulders.

Now, she was pale and emaciated, a broken shell after her internal battle with the demon who had possessed her, and the exorcism that had left her mind shattered.

“Why did you bring me here?” he asked, his voice barely audible over the lump in his throat.

“We need to discuss her,” Nica said matter-of-factly. As if Cara wasn’t a person at all, but a business transaction.

“Why? Has something changed? Other than—” he gestured toward her “—the obvious?” Anger formed a tight ball in his chest.

“I know this is hard for you—”

“Hard for me? You don’t know the half of it.” He turned away from Cara, stepping close to Nica, towering over her. “I told you the demon was too strong, that we wouldn’t be able to contain it, to capture it in the crystal. I told you we had to kill it. But the Cadre fought me every step of the way. And she paid the price.”

Nica didn’t flinch. She waited half a beat, then asked, “Was that demon stronger than Asmos?”

Damien hesitated. He wasn’t so sure.

“Asmos and the demon who did this to Cara are both from the seventh realm, an elusive dimension we’re just now learning about. They’re both ancient demons. Very powerful, very strong. Too strong for you to battle on your own. We’ve learned that from what happened to Cara.”

He turned back to his partner, knowing she’d never open her eyes and look at him again. He sighed. “What do you suggest?”

“You have to wait until Emma’s ready, then take her back with you to fight Asmos.”

He spun back around. “Are you insane? That wisp of a girl wouldn’t stand a chance against Asmos. Hell, we barely made it out of there alive tonight as it is.”

“We have to work together, Damien,” Nica said, her voice unwavering. “The lone gunman routine isn’t going to work this time. Not with Asmos.”

His fingertips hovered over Cara’s hair. The blunt edge of regret beat at him. “And you want me to bring an innocent girl into this fight?”

“She is the last in the McGovern line. She has to be there to draw Asmos out of the wolves, it is the only way you’ll be able to capture him, in that split second between vessels.”

“You know the odds of achieving that are next to impossible.”

“For most demon hunters, but not for you, Damien.”

“And if I mess up? If something goes wrong? He will possess her. If my timing is off, even by a second, her mind will be shattered by the hate, by Asmos’s evil essence. It’s not right to risk it, to risk her. Let me go it alone. I have nothing to lose.”

“Damien, if you try to capture Asmos alone, you will die. And chances are that eventually he will possess her, anyway. This is the only chance you and Emma have. If you want to save her, save yourself, you will not fail.” She turned and left the room, leaving him alone with proof that, in this game, things do go terribly, horribly wrong.

He pulled up a chair next to the bed and sat in it, staring at Cara for a long time. Watching the steady rise and fall of her chest. She’d been so lovely, so full of everything life had to offer. Now she was an empty shell, and it had been his fault. He’d been too late, his timing off. Now, they wanted him to do it again.

If you want to save Emma, save yourself, you will not fail. Her words mocked him.

Leaning forward, he took Cara’s hand in his. Her skin was cool, her touch soft. He almost expected her to turn toward him, to open those beautiful brown eyes and smile. But she didn’t.

Damien dropped his forehead to Cara’s hand. He closed his eyes, as guilt and anguish washed over him. He thought of Emma, targeted by the demon of wrath to be his next vessel. Why? Because she was unlucky enough to be born a McGovern. If he failed again, what would happen to her soul? Would it be cast out, sent to some demon realm leaving her body half-dead yet still alive? Or would it be trapped within her, stuck while some monster used her body for his evil purposes?

His hands fisted as fury fueled him. He wouldn’t let that happen. Not again. There might not be anything he could do to help Cara, but he wasn’t about to stand by and let an innocent woman who hadn’t chosen this fight play victim to Asmos any longer.

He grabbed Cara’s hand again and squeezed it, then leaned close to her ear. “I’m sorry, Cara.” He forced back the emotion stinging his eyes, then turned and, without looking back, walked out the door.

Blood surged like a river, shimmering in the moon’s light as it filled the crevices between the stones, flowing across the stone verandas, seeping down the castle walls, running in rivulets across the stone gargoyles to spew out of their jagged-toothed, snarling mouths.

Emma sat straight up in her bed. Her breath, caught in her throat, choked her. The moonlight, streaming through the window, bathed her in its otherworldly glow. In the distance, she could swear she heard wolves howling, calling to her, beckoning her home.

The scars on her cheek burned.

She rubbed her arms, though there was no chill in the room. She stepped out of the bed, her feet sinking into thick gold carpet as she walked toward the window. She stared into the night, searching for the stealthy movement of the wolves, but saw no sign of them. She’d been dreaming again.

Somehow she’d thought that within the walls of St. Yve Manor she’d be safe, that she’d be free of the Curse, of the dreams. But they were still there, lurking in the deep recesses of her mind.

There was a soft knock at the door. Surprised, she switched on the light, and, pulling on a thick blue terry robe that hung in the closet, walked into the main room toward the door. “Who is it?” she asked softly.

“Damien.”

His voice, soft and velvety, caressed her through the door. Her heart skipped a beat of anticipation as she finger-combed her hair and opened the door.

He stood leaning against the doorjamb, looking a bit worn and frayed around the edges.

“You’re still here,” she said, trying to keep the pleasure from seeping into her voice.

“Did I wake you?”

She gave him a wry grin. “No. Even here the dreams come.”

“That bad, huh?”

She nodded.

“I wanted to let you know that I’ll be staying a little longer. You seemed…upset earlier.” He looked tired, defeated, his eyes not quite reaching hers.

“Is everything all right?” she asked.

“No,” he admitted, surprising her with his honesty.

She stepped back, inviting him in. “What is it? Your lady friend?” she asked, thinking back to what Ophelia had said.

“No. Yes. I mean. Something’s happened to her. She’s in a coma, of sorts.”

“I’m sorry.”

He reached out and touched her hair, pulling it through his fingers as he stepped closer. She didn’t move, though she longed to pull him into her arms and hold him. Not just for her, to feel the warmth of his arms around her, but for him. He seemed as though he needed it, as though he needed her.

Instead, she took a deep breath, inhaling the smell of him, pulling it deep inside her and locking it away. This way, after he was gone, she could think of him, she could remember the way he smelled, and the way he smiled when he looked at her.

But he wasn’t smiling now.

“She was a demon hunter,” he said, interrupting her thoughts. “Her last hunt didn’t go all that well.”

“Demon hunter.” The words caught and tripped across her tongue. “Are there that many out there? Demons, I mean?” Somehow she didn’t like to think about that.

“More than you could imagine.”

“Oh.” Her stomach twisted.

“Not all are evil, some are just plain bothersome. Some take enjoyment from our misery, some feed off our emotions and come when beckoned. Some, though rare, want what we have, a corporeal form, to be able to love, laugh and feel the sun on their face.”

Emma stared at him, not knowing what to think. “And she hunted them? Demons?”

“Yes. Like me. We hunted them together. We were a team, but now…I work alone.” He gestured her toward the sofa. “How much do you know about this place? About what the Cadre does here?”

She sat close and turned toward him. “Not much. They seem to want to help me. Though Lucia always blamed them for my mother’s death, she never really said why.”

“How much do you remember about what happened to your mother?”

Images flashed through Emma’s mind—her mother smiling, grabbing her arm, pulling. Emma’s stomach tightened. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “Not much.”

He took her hand in his. She looked up at him, into his startlingly blue eyes.

“When we arrived at the gate tonight. The old couple—”

She shivered. “They were horrible.”

“As I said before, they are threshold guardians. Their job is to make sure uninvited demons don’t enter the estate.”

“Uninvited.” The word stuck on Emma’s tongue, and soured.

“The man said I had the ‘essence’ flowing in my blood. What was he talking about?”

He took her hands in his, softly caressing them as his gaze locked on hers. His touch danced across her skin, warming her, making her breath quicken. She leaned deeper into the sofa, feeling slightly lightheaded. He scooted closer. She reached out her hand and placed it on his chest, not only to feel his warmth through the thick cable-knit sweater, but to steady herself.

“You can trust me,” he whispered. “I won’t let anything happen to you.” He touched her neck, the softness of his fingertips raising tingles along her skin and to spread throughout her body, bringing a spike of pleasure to her center.

“What kind of spell have you cast on me?” she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

“The same kind you’ve cast on me.” His fingers moved up to her cheek, softly caressing the hardened scars left by the wolves’ vicious bites.

She wanted to pull away, but couldn’t seem to find the strength. More than anything, she wanted to lean into him, to press her lips against his.

“When the wolves bit you, they left something behind.” The rich, warm timbre of his voice penetrated her mind, filling her with a soothing calmness that weakened her limbs.

“An essence,” he continued. “It’s how they always know where you are. It’s how they’ll find you when it’s time.”

What did he mean, an essence? Why did she keep hearing that word?

“The demon of wrath—Asmos. He lives in the wolves. He waits for the night of the Equinox, waiting for you to fulfill the curse and fall in love, to make love. Waiting for you to become his next vessel.”

Her eyes widened as his words penetrated the fog in her mind. “Me? But why?” she whispered.

“It is the curse. You are the last in your family line. You are his only hope to stay in the mortal realm for good.”

She pulled away and stood.

Standing behind her, he placed his hands on her shoulders, and leaned in close to whisper in her ear. “I won’t let him have you. When the time comes, it’s important that you remember to focus on me. On my voice. On my touch. I will save you. I will save us both.”

She spun around. “But how? How can you stop him? How can any man stop a demon?” She wanted to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all, but couldn’t.

“We will stop him together. You have his essence within you. I will teach you how to use it, how to make it your own.”

“I am not a demon. I am not evil,” Emma insisted.

“You’re not evil because you choose not to be. Humans aren’t the only ones given that choice. We are all defined by our actions. That is what makes us who we are.”

“Very well said, Damien,” Nica said, walking through the door.

Emma turned, trying to hide her astonishment at the woman’s arrival. “Doesn’t anyone sleep around here?”

“I hope you don’t mind, it was open,” Nica said, and sat in the wing chair next to the couch.

“We do,” Damien said, with a subtle harshness to his tone. “But don’t let that stop you. So, did you hear every word, or just the ones that interested you?”

“Everything about the two of you interests me. And he’s right, Emma, the choice is yours. You have the power within you to fight Asmos. Your destiny is in your hands alone. All we can do is help you.”

“How?” Emma demanded. “I don’t understand.” Suddenly she was more certain than ever that she should never have come to this place.

“You need to tell us what happened to your mother. We need to know how the curse will be fulfilled, how the transformation will be completed.”

Emma’s stomach turned. “I was just a child. I don’t remember.”

“But you dream about it, no?”

Emma stared at her. “I won’t go back there. I won’t remember. I can’t.”

“You won’t be alone. We’ll be here to help and guide you.”

“What difference does it make? It’s in the past. My mother is dead.”

“We need to know what happened to her before she died. We need to know the exact process. You need to remember, there can’t be any surprises, nothing to trip you up, to distract you when you go after Asmos.” Her voice was flat. No inflection, no emotion touched her face. “Try to remember what happened that night in the cellar. The night the wolves attacked you.”

“No.” Emma’s voice was shrill, her hands clammy.

“Nica, that’s enough,” Damien interrupted. “We should leave. Let Emma get some rest.” He placed an arm around Emma’s waist, the gesture offering more comfort to her than she wanted to admit. She found herself fighting the urge to lean her head against his shoulder, to close her eyes and escape.

“You can’t protect her from this, Damien. She needs to face the truth head-on. We can’t help her if she continues to hide her head in the sand.”

Wearily, he scraped his hands across his face. “I understand. It’s just been a long day. For both of us.”

Nica stood and took a step toward Emma. “I know this is a lot to take in so fast. But if you want to survive, you’re going to have to tear down the walls you’ve hidden yourself behind. You’re going to have to remember.”

No! The protest rang through Emma’s mind, and she squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out Nica and the words she spoke, but she couldn’t stop the memories as they rushed back. So much blood.

“You’re going to have to face the truth. It won’t be as hard as you think. The truth is right here.” Nica touched Emma’s chest, and as she did, something inside Emma broke.

[/COL OR]

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 22-11-07, 07:06 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 19
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter 10
T he next day, Emma woke with a feeling of cautious expectation in her heart, and Damien’s face in her thoughts. Her mind flitted over the way he had looked at her last night, the way he had touched her—caressing and gentle. And then she remembered the things he’d said, and an uneasy tremor moved through her. She turned and looked at the clock—2:12 p.m.

In no hurry to jump up and face what was left of the day, she looked around her at the large four-poster bed, the paintings lining one wall depicting little girls playing on a beach, the large plant in the corner, and the long silk icy-blue draperies shut tight across the windows. A beautiful room, in a beautiful castle, where darkness played in the corners.

For a minute, she wished she could close her eyes, and when she opened them again, she’d be back in her room at Wolvesrain, Lucia would be in the kitchen making breakfast, and she would never have heard anything about a curse or demons or vampires. Or Damien?

“Damien.” She said his name out loud, rolling it around on her tongue, wondering what it would be like to be with him, to lie in his arms, to feel his kiss on her lips. He was the first man who’d ever looked at her with appreciation in his eyes. He didn’t just see the scars on her face, he saw all of her, and whether or not he knew it, he made her feel beautiful.

Her stomach growled. She sighed and got out of bed, then shuffled into the luxurious bathroom. She stood in front of the mirror and looked closely at the three long gashes on her right cheek. Demon essence. She didn’t feel it. Couldn’t see it. And yet, it was there. It made her different. And Damien thought she could use it to stop a demon.

“Wow, must be some stuff,” she muttered aloud to her reflection. She turned and stared longingly at the large oval tub. Thirty minutes in that tub, and she’d feel like a new woman, but it was late, and she needed to check on her dad. With one last look at the gleaming porcelain, she stepped into the shower, quickly bathed and then dressed. Whatever was happening around them, her father’s health was all that mattered to her right now. Damien or no Damien, if the Cadre couldn’t help her dad, then she would pack him up and take him to see Dr. Callahan in London.

Emma didn’t know what she expected when she walked into her father’s room, but seeing him sitting up in bed, a tray filled with his favorite foods on his lap in front of him, and a huge smile on his face, wasn’t it.

A nurse, who’d been sitting by his bed, laughed at something he’d said, and stood as she walked in.

He saw Emma and waved her in. “Good afternoon, Emma.”

“Hello, Dad,” Emma said, feeling slightly confused. There was more color in his cheeks than she’d seen in a very long time. Whatever the Cadre was doing for him, it seemed to be working.

“Hello, Miss McGovern,” the nurse said. “Your father is doing much better.”

“I can see that.”

“We’ll have him back to his old self in no time.” The nurse patted his leg and walked behind him to adjust his pillows.

Somehow Emma didn’t think his heart could be magically healed after one day at St. Yve. “What do you mean, ‘back to his old self in no time’?”

“I’m saying the doctor has ordered physical therapy. As soon as his muscles start working properly again, he should be able to get up and out of this bed and take me dancing.”

“You’d better believe it,” her father crooned.

The nurse smiled and pulled back his hospital gown to reveal a large bandage on his shoulder. Quickly and efficiently, she changed the dressing.

“What’s that?” Emma asked, but as she looked at the suspiciously familiar marks, she already knew. Wolf bite.

“Some kind of scratch,” the nurse said. “Don’t worry, it’s healing nicely.”

“That doesn’t look like a scratch.” Emma walked around the bed to get a closer look.

Quickly, the nurse finished then covered it up, and pulled his dressing gown back into place. “Don’t worry, Miss McGovern, we’re taking excellent care of your dad.” She smiled absently, then left the room.

“Hey, you chased her away,” her dad complained.

Emma stared at him, feeling as though she’d just tripped and fallen down the proverbial well. “Well, I’m sorry, but I don’t quite understand what’s going on. That didn’t look like a scratch to me. Why wouldn’t she let me see it?”

“Who cares? I feel better than I have in years. Maybe just getting out from behind those dank old walls at Wolvesrain was all I needed. Now put a smile on that pretty face, and stop chasing off the nurses. I can’t remember when I last had so much attention.” He winked at her the way he used to when she was younger, and her heart softened.

She sat down in the chair next to him. Whatever the reason for his remarkable recovery, it was good to see him in such high spirits for a change. She leaned forward and spoke softly. “Want me to poke your toes with a needle? Give you a sudden pain, so you can call her back?”

“Ha! Very funny.” He turned back to his food, separating the green peppers and onions from his potatoes. “How are you feeling?” he asked. “You look well. Not so mopey.”

“Mopey? I’m not mopey.” She shook her head and ignored his implication. “I slept well. I think.” Truth was she didn’t know how she felt or what to think. She picked up his orange juice and took a sip.

“Nightmares?”

“Not that I can remember. Though I’m sure that’s about to change.”

“Why?”

She sat quietly for a moment, not knowing where to start, not even sure what she wanted to say. “I’m sorry about what happened last night, Dad.” She placed her hand on his arm. “I should have listened to you. I should have brought you here sooner.” She gestured toward him. “Obviously, it was exactly what you needed.”

But was it the Cadre that had helped him, or something else? She looked at the bandage on his shoulder. If one of the wolves had bitten him, would he now have “the essence,” too? Would that account for his miraculous recovery?

She thought back on her own life. She’d never been sick. Not a cold, not a sniffle, not once. Lucia used to joke that it must have been because they were all so isolated out at Wolvesrain, but now Emma had to wonder.

Her dad picked up a piece of bacon and bit into it. “It’s all right. The important thing is that we’re here now. The Cadre can help us. They understand what we’re dealing with. They’ve offered us a safe haven.” He set down the bacon and looked directly into her eyes. “You’ll be able to find peace here, Emma, if you let them help you.”

The intensity of his gaze made her squirm, she stared down at her hands locked together in her lap. “I don’t know, Dad. Something about all this doesn’t feel right.”

His mouth straightened into a thin line.

“They want me to remember what happened to Mum, to relive that night,” she explained, expecting to see anger flaring in his eyes, but instead they filled with silent desperation.

“You need to cooperate with them. Give them whatever information they want.”

Emma couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “But you’re the one who never wanted me to think about that night, let alone talk about it. Now you want me to open a vein and let it all spill out?” She rose out of her chair, pacing back and forth, as turmoil warred within her. She stopped, and grabbed the back of her chair to steady herself, took a deep breath, and said, “I don’t understand.”

“I’m sorry. I was wrong. I should have let them come all those years ago after your mother died. Especially after what happened to Mr. Lausen. If I had, maybe our lives would have been different.”

“How can you say that? How can you think that after spending only one day in this place?”

“Because I know the truth now. It’s all very clear to me. You can never leave here, Emma. Do you understand? If you do, if you go back to Wolvesrain, he will find you.”

“He, who?” she demanded, her voice growing shrill.

“Sit down, Emma.”

Reluctantly, she sat back in the chair, and wished Lucia was here with her unwavering logic.

Her dad leaned forward and clutched her hand. She flinched when he squeezed too tightly. “Promise me,” he begged. “Promise me you will never leave. If you do, if you go back, one way or another, the curse will be fulfilled and you will die.”

Stunned, Emma stared at him as she finally began to understand. This was all about her. He was scared to death for her. Why? What had changed? Gently, she pulled on her hand, hoping he’d release her. “I can’t spend the rest of my life locked up in this mausoleum.”

“Yes, you can,” he insisted. “You can have a life here. I can’t lose you, too. Do you understand, Emma?”

His words, the dead certainty in his gaze scared her more than anything she’d ever felt before. What did he know?

“What is it really, Dad? What aren’t you telling me?”

He looked down, his face grim, his mouth closed.

“I’m sorry, Dad. I won’t promise I’ll stay here. I’m not going to live my life in hiding.” She stood.

“Wait.”

She took a deep breath, and steeled herself for what was coming next.

“How much of that night do you remember?”

She looked at him, but refused to answer. She wouldn’t go there, not with him, not with anyone.

“Emma, we need to know.”

“Now it’s we?”

“Don’t argue semantics with me, and don’t be stubborn to the point of stupidity.”

“Fine. Not much, okay?”

“But you have your dreams.”

She sighed. “All the time. So much, in fact, that I can’t tell the difference anymore between what are memories and what I’ve dreamed. I can’t tell Nica what happened, because I’m just not sure.”

“Maybe we can remember together,” he said, softly.

For the first time in a long time, she saw the pain in his eyes. And she had to wonder what he thought of what had happened, how much he had seen, how much he knew.

“I do remember Mum speaking to me. I’m not sure when, because I can only see her face, but I think it was right before she died. She told me never to fall in love. She told me to break the curse. She made me promise.”

He nodded. “I remember.”

“Were you there, because I really don’t understand any of it? What does falling in love have to do with anything?”

He sighed and leaned back against the pillows. “Falling in love is the answer to everything. People live for love, they die for love. Love is what makes the world go round.”

She thought of Damien, and immediately pushed him from her mind. What did she know of love? She’d spent her whole life at Wolvesrain and could count on two hands the number of people she knew. It was only natural that she would apply romantic feelings to the first man who had ever shown an interest in her life. Acting on those feelings, or even believing in those feelings, would be a huge mistake, and lead her to nothing but heartache.

“So many people live their lives in fear,” he said. “They’re afraid of love, of letting go and opening their hearts. They try so hard to rationalize and control their emotions that they never allow themselves to be truly happy. Your mother was one of those people. Don’t live like that Emma, take a chance on love.”

Emma’s eyes widened. “But how—”

“Okay, Mr. McGovern,” the nurse said walking back into the room. “It’s time for your physical therapy.”

“Are you going to be the one massaging my poor withered muscles?” he asked with a wicked smile.

She laughed and took the tray from his lap. “You are a devil.” She pulled a wheelchair from the corner of the room and helped him out of bed and into the chair. Before wheeling him out of the room, the nurse turned to Emma. “The dining hall is down the corridor to the left, if you’re hungry.”

Emma nodded. “Thanks.” Though she didn’t think she could eat, she ventured down the corridor, looking for the dining hall just the same, thinking about Damien. She wasn’t sure how she felt about him, but they did have a powerful connection. Perhaps she should take a chance, push it a little to see how far it went. One thing she knew for certain—she wasn’t ready for him to walk away. That alone should tell her something.

“Oh, there you are,” Nica said, rounding a corner and breaking into her thoughts. “I’m glad I found you. Are you ready for your first training session?”

Emma stared at her, her eyes wide. “Training session?”

Emma followed Nica into a grand room, which very well could have doubled for a chapel. The stained-glass windows inset into the walls on either side of the room depicted scenes of various religious beliefs throughout the centuries. In addition, several museum-quality tapestries lined the walls.

Breathless, Emma was particularly drawn to the intricate design and colors of the one titled Wheel of Becoming. She could have stood there for an hour gazing at the fine details and brilliant colors.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Nica said. “The wheel is divided into six realms of existence—the worlds of the gods, demons, humans, animals, ghosts and hell.”

“Fascinating,” Emma murmured, thinking the gods looked more frightening than the demons. The thought chilled her as she moved on to the next tapestry, this one a large disc etched with abstract symbols and various animals.

“This one displays the ancient theme of universal concord uniting heaven and earth and was used a guide for human life,” Nica explained. She moved forward and pointed to another. “The Chinese believe there are five elements—wood, fire, earth, metal and water. The wood kindles the fire as it’s devoured, the fire creating ash and generating earth, the earth producing metal within its rocks, and the metal secreting or attracting dew, which in turn enters the plants to produce wood.”

“I see.” But Emma didn’t see. What did all this have to do with her training?

“It is with these elements that you will learn to fight Asmos. With the earth and water, you will learn to sharpen your focus.” She pulled a beautiful necklace from her pocket. At the end of a long gold chain hung an intricate Celtic amulet carved from wood and in-grained with silver.

Nica placed the necklace into Emma’s hand. “You will use silver and ash wood to protect yourself, and you will use the minerals of the earth in the forms of the crystals. But most of all, you will use your desire to triumph over evil, your determination to succeed, to fight this demon.”

Stunned, Emma stared at the necklace, holding the delicate charm in her palm, then looked up at Nica. “Then I’m a lost cause.”

Nica placed a hand over hers. “No, yesterday you were a lost cause. Today we’re going to teach you how to have a future.” Nica continued her tour of the tapestries until they reached the far end of the room where she turned back and gestured widely. “Everything in this room carries deep historical significance. Our people have been collecting these items through the ages, keeping meticulous records of man’s spiritual journey across the centuries and continents.”

Emma looked up at the soaring ceiling where arched crossbeams, stained dark walnut, crisscrossed the room, but couldn’t find anything to say, other than to ask the question that had been plaguing her since this whole nightmare began. “Why?”

“So we can better understand demons and the role they play in the human realm,” Nica said.

Emma nodded, but the answer didn’t make her feel any better. Why were there demons here in the first place? Where did they come from? What did they want? As she pondered the questions, she realized these must have been the same questions the Cadre asked themselves when they’d started their foundation. The real question, then, the one that really mattered, was why her?

“But how is any of this going to help me fight the demon at Wolvesrain?”

“Everything we have learned since Camilla first summoned Asmos and cursed your family has convinced us that there is a way to fight him. It’s all a matter of timing.”

“But what about the vampires? How can we fight them, too?”

Nica stiffened and paused a second before she said, “Very carefully.”

Emma wanted to say something but had to swallow over the large lump in her throat. “I’m still not quite sure I want to believe there are such things.”

“Don’t be surprised. Vampires are closer than you think,” Damien said, as he walked through the door.

He was smiling at her. Not a big, wide knock-you-off-your-feet smile, but a small, intimate smile that made her feel it was meant only for her.

“What you need to know is how to neutralize one,” Nica said, cocking one perfectly arched brow at Damien.

“Which wouldn’t be nearly as easy as dusting one,” Damien responded, dryly.

“Which would go against the Cadre’s beliefs,” Nica reminded.

“Yes, ‘Do no harm.’ I know. How can I ever forget?” he asked with a vicious undertone of sarcasm.

Emma stared at the two of them, and took a step back. The undercurrent of hostility in the room was making her more than a touch uneasy. If they couldn’t agree on how to handle the vampires, then where did that leave her?

“Damien, perhaps you shouldn’t be here,” Nica said with a touch of a warning in her voice.

“I’ll play by the rules. Promise,” he said with a wink, then turned to Emma.

Drawn to the deep blue of his eyes, Emma felt momentarily mesmerized. She was entranced with the huskiness of his voice, the strength with which he carried himself, his utter confidence that he was right. As she stared at him, the walls around her fell away, and all she could focus on was him.

“Uh-huh.” Nica cleared her throat.

Reluctantly Emma turned her attention back to the woman. She stared at her for a minute, before she realized Nica’s silence was meant for her. “Okay. I get it. Focus.”

Nica rewarded her with a smile, and Emma realized that was the first time she’d ever seen the woman smile.

“Okay, Paul here is going to start by showing you a few basic martial arts self-defense moves,” Nica said. “You don’t have a lot of time, so we’re going to give you the condensed version.”

Emma turned, slightly surprised to see a dark-haired Asian man in loose black clothing standing behind her. Not only had she not heard him approach, she hadn’t even felt his presence.

“Paul,” Damien said, nodding a greeting.

Paul nodded stiffly, then turned back to Emma.

“After that, he will demonstrate how to use the different types of elements shown around the room.” Nica walked over to a display cabinet in the corner filled with various rocks and crystals.

“We’ve found that certain rocks have special abilities. Heliodor, for instance, helps enhance one’s intuition. This one is hematite.” She held up a large black crystal and handed it to Emma. “Ancient superstition says that large deposits of hematite were formed by spilled blood from battles that seeped into the earth. That’s why when hematite is ground into powder, it takes on the color of blood.”

“Lovely,” Emma said, and handed her back the stone.

“We’ve found the best way to stop a spiritual being is with a natural element.” Nica pointed to an odd-looking wand with a triangular bladed quartz for a tip. “That is a P’ur-pa. An ancient ‘magic’ deified dagger used for stabbing demons and exorcising evil.”

“A demon dagger?” Emma asked in amazement.

“Yes. Unfortunately, most possessed humans did not survive the procedure.”

“I can see why.”

Next Nica took a milky-white pyramid-shaped quartz out of the cabinet and held it out to her. “Today, we use a different method.”

Emma took the stone in her hand and stared at it, waiting for something to happen. Nothing did.

“It’s a casting stone. Usually one has to be born with some sort of magic ability to be able to use and control the stones. You will be able to because of the demon essence coursing through your blood. We will show you how to harness that energy, how to make it your own.”

“I still haven’t gotten used to the fact that I have this…essence.”

“It’s a part of you. Don’t turn away from it. Embrace its power. Make it your own.”

Emma nodded, though she really didn’t understand what power she had. She certainly didn’t feel powerful.

“How much do you know about magic?” Paul asked, stepping forward.

“It’s all right, Paul,” Damien said, before Emma could answer. He looked very casual leaning against the wall with one foot kicked over the other, and yet something about his posture, about the way he stroked his jaw deliberately with two long fingers, revealed he was anything but casual. “I will train her.”

Nica looked doubtful. “I don’t think so.”

“I taught Paul everything he knows. He is still only an apprentice. I am a master.”

Master at what? Emma thought, but didn’t ask.

Nica’s gaze narrowed. “Were,” she countered.

“Am.”

“I won’t risk Emma’s life,” Nica countered.

“That’s good to hear,” Emma added.

“I’m the best you have,” Damien argued. “You know that. What’s more, Paul knows it, too.”

They turned to Paul and, reluctantly, he nodded.

“Very well then,” Nica agreed. “As long as you abide by the Cadre’s rules.”

His mouth twisted into a smirk.

“And you’re cognizant of the effect you and Emma seem to be having on one another.”

Emma’s breath caught and her cheeks burned. Were her feelings for Damien that obvious? She didn’t even know the man, and yet, she couldn’t seem to take her eyes off him.

“’Tis only the curse,” Damien argued, which brought a slight frown to Emma’s face.

“Is it?” Nica challenged, her chin lifting. “Not inside the castle walls it isn’t. It’s the two of you, and it will be magnified a hundredfold once you get back to Wolvesrain.”

You can never leave here, Emma. Do you understand? If you do, if you go back to Wolvesrain, he will find you. And you will die. Her father’s words rushed through her mind, and twisted her insides.

“Don’t worry, Nica,” Damien assured her. “We’ll be able to fight it.”

But even as he said it, Emma knew it wasn’t true. He wouldn’t be able to fight the attraction they had for one another any more than she could. There was something powerful drawing them toward one another. Even here within the walls of St. Yve where they were supposed to be safe, she could feel it pulling at her, pushing her toward him.

“What makes you so sure?” Nica asked, as doubt crinkled her forehead.

“Because I, more than anyone else, understand the consequences of this curse. The consequences of love.”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 22-11-07, 07:08 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 20
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter 11
“W hen are you going to tell Emma you’re a vampire?” Nica asked Damien as they stood against the far wall of the room, watching Emma practice her blocks and kicks.

“Wasn’t planning to,” Damien responded. Though perhaps he should. That would definitely kill the attraction they had growing between them. She would look at him as if he was a monster, and she’d be right. He was a monster, made to feed off human blood. He had to fight the beast within him every day. And he was growing weary.

“Do you think that’s a good idea?” Nica asked with one perfect eyebrow arched as her cold gaze drilled him. “I can see it causing nothing but problems for you.”

He pierced her with a penetrating gaze. “Since when does it matter to the Cadre what I think?”

“It does matter, it always has.”

Damien closed his eyes as frustration surged through him.

In an uncustomary gesture, Nica touched his arm. “You have been a part of the Cadre for more than two hundred years, Damien. We understand you’re upset about what happened with Cara, and you have every right to be. We know how much she meant to you, and how much you meant to her. But do you really think she would want you to live like this, in complete isolation? We are your family. We only want what’s best for you.”

Her words surprised him, but even more surprising was the emotion behind them. It was so unlike her, and yet, he could hear the sincerity in her tone, feel it in her heart. He gave her a weak smile. “I appreciate that, Nica.”

“I—we appreciate your help with this matter. More than I think you realize.”

He nodded and, for once, was at a complete loss for words.

“I’m afraid if you don’t tell Emma about yourself, and something goes wrong…” She looked down, then back up into his eyes. “We can’t afford any surprises. The last thing Emma needs is to come face to face with your fangs in the heat of the battle. I don’t think she could handle it.”

He knew she was right. Emma would freeze up, at best. But in this instance, he wasn’t so sure honesty was the best policy. “So you’re agreeing there’s going to be a battle. As in a war, a fight, heads are literally going to roll? That’s a big step for the Cadre.”

“We’re not deluding ourselves about what you’re going up against, and what you both have to lose.”

“That’s good.” He thought of Charles Lausen, her father, and the way he had died. “You more than anyone else should be aware of that.”

Her face fell, but only for a second. “I miss him. And yes, I want Asmos destroyed as much as you do. Make no mistake. It’s just as hard for me as it is for you to trust that the council knows what they’re doing. They’ve been at this for more than four hundred years. Sometimes we have to put our emotions aside and do what’s best for the cause we work for.”

Damien nodded, though he didn’t wholeheartedly agree. He couldn’t. He was the soldier in the field, he was the one fighting the battle. He and the other hunters put their lives on the line, so they could capture these paras and the Cadre could interrogate and study them. It wasn’t the council who put their butts on the line, it was the hunters. And if a para had to die so a hunter could live, then so be it.

“Emma’s beginning to remember what happen to her mother that night,” he told her. “Soon the Cadre will have the answers they need.”

“I hope so. It will eliminate some of the unknown factors and help you both prepare for what’s coming.”

He looked past her and watched Emma and knew Nica was right. As strongly as Emma was resisting remembering, they were in for a hell of a fight, and they couldn’t go in blind.

“I’m sorry about Cara,” Nica said. “There might be a slight chance…”

The old familiar pain twisted his chest. He turned back to her, refusing to let hope rise to the surface.

“Our interrogators have learned that Asmos is from the seventh realm, the same realm as the demon who possessed Cara. If you succeed in capturing him, our interrogators might be able to learn more about this dimension. They might be able to determine if there is any way to help Cara.”

He quashed the fleeting spark of hope in his chest. “Ah, the proverbial carrot.”

“The point is we just don’t know enough about this realm to know for sure.”

“And since we don’t know for sure, it would be best if I follow the council’s rules and not splatter Asmos into a million particles all over Wolvesrain’s walls. Your interrogators could learn a lot from him, couldn’t they?”

Her eyes narrowed. “Yes, they could. And it could also be true that I’m just trying to manipulate you. The question you have to ask yourself is, what do you believe in, Damien? Do you still believe in what the Cadre does? In our philosophy?”

“I believe in myself,” he said, and turned back to Emma. “And in her. I’m not going to let her share Cara’s fate.” He turned and caught Nica’s gaze with his own. “No matter what it takes.”

“I wish…” She didn’t say any more, just shook her head and walked away.

He watched Emma move, and thought of what Nica had said. What if there was even the slightest chance she was right? That Cara could be saved? Emma caught his eye and smiled, and as she did, something moved within him, stealing his breath. She didn’t deserve this. She shouldn’t have to face what had happened to her mother and what was about to happen to her. She shouldn’t be put at risk just so the Cadre could interrogate an elusive, powerful demon.

No matter what they could learn from him.

He walked toward Emma. “You look great.”

“Thank you,” she said, her smile broadening, reaching her eyes. His gaze zeroed in on the soft fullness of her lips, the small dimple in her cheek. More than anything, he wanted to pull her into his arms and crush his lips against hers. But that would be the worst thing he could do, for her, for himself. They both had to stay focused on the job at hand, and that was getting rid of Asmos. One way or another.

Then and only then could they explore whatever this was growing between them. He closed his eyes, knowing it was wishful thinking. As soon as she found out the truth about him, she’d turn and run. The temptation, the passion they felt toward each other would be gone. He should tell her. Now. Before things went even farther. But he couldn’t bear to see the horror in her eyes.

Emma hit the ground hard, landing on her butt and skidding across the mat. “Ouch!”

“You lost your concentration,” Damien said, his mouth twisting into a grin.

She glared as embarrassment flooded through her. “I can’t do this,” she grumbled, rubbing the sting out of her butt.

“Of course, you can.”

“It’s ridiculous. What do I know about martial arts?”

“Nothing. But by the end of today, you will be able to make a reasonable guess what I’m going to throw at you, and you will be able to block it.”

“If you say so,” she said doubtfully, then stood and faced him again.

He came at her. She stood in her stance, watched his eyes, watched the bunching of his muscles, his arms, his legs, where he positioned his weight, and this time she saw the kick coming, pivoted and blocked.

“Yes!” she whooped, smiling, then ended up on her butt again.

“Always expect more than one,” he said and leaned over and offered an outstretched hand.

She took his hand and, as he helped her up, she turned in his arms, smiling, but the smile died on her lips as her eyes connected with his. He was so close his warmth seeped right through her clothing to tease her nerve endings. His raw power and male masculinity seduced her senses until her need for him to touch her, to kiss her was almost palpable.

And all she could think about.

He stepped back. “You’re doing great, Emma.”

Her eyes closed in silent mortification. “Am I?”

“Absolutely.”

She took a deep breath to halt the flood of disappointment surging through her. Was she the only one feeling these emotions? They had a connection. He must feel it, too. “Listen, we’ve been at this more than three hours, I need a break,” she said matter-of-factly.

He cocked an eyebrow.

“Don’t look at me like that,” she protested, and tried to keep the whine out of her voice. “I’m just not used to this much…training.”

“Fine. We can spend some time focusing on techniques using meditation and the magical properties of crystals.”

Emma groaned.

“Or we can start with spells, chants and rituals.”

“I am not going to be able to do this, no matter how much training you give me. I won’t be able to remember it all. I just can’t.”

He stepped closer to her, and her fool heart did a double beat. “Don’t underestimate yourself,” he said. “The first thing you need to learn is the power of positive thinking. You can do this. Now, I want to hear you say it.”

“Oh, yeah, that will do wonders.” She plopped back down on the mat.

“Say it.”

She stared up at him, her mouth twisting into a smirk. “Fine. I can do this. I can become the ultimate supreme demon fighter and clobber anything you throw at me.”

He smiled. “That’s better.”

“I can feel it working already,” she said dryly.

“We’re going to have to do something about that sarcasm of yours.”

“I like my sarcasm.”

He sat cross-legged on the mat in front of her. “Emma, it’s important that we trust each other. We’re a team. We work together and, together, we can fight anything. You have to believe that, if we’re going to make it through the Equinox.”

She nodded, her brow furrowing. She needed to focus. She had to learn. He was right. What was important was their survival. She sat up straighter and wiped the silly pout off her face.

“We need to know exactly what’s going to happen so we can plan our strategy.”

“I’m not psychic.”

“No. But you were there when it happened before.”

She looked down. Not this again.

“Your father told us that he and Lucia heard you screaming. They went into the basement. Your mother was lying in your lap. She was dying. Do you remember that?”

She nodded, her face suddenly feeling as if it were drained of color.

“Emma, this is important. What happened to her?”

“I don’t know,” she whispered.

“Do you remember if she killed Mr. Lausen?”

She nodded. “I think she stabbed him. His blood, it went everywhere.” She grimaced, remembering the image from her dream.

“She must have loved him, Emma, for the curse to have taken hold the way it did. She loved him and consummated that love. As she fulfilled the curse, enough of Asmos transferred into her so that she was compelled to kill him.”

Emma shifted uncomfortably.

“Is that what you remember?”

Emma said, her voice cracking. “She grabbed my arm. I don’t know what she wanted. She said I was the last one. She was pulling me toward the wolves.”

He put his hand on hers. “It’s okay. Go on.”

“I don’t remember anything after that, except before she died, she turned back into my mum again. She told me never to fall in love. To break the curse.”

“Then however much of Asmos was in her, must have retreated back into the wolves. The first step was when she fulfilled the curse, falling for Mr. Lausen, then making love to him.”

Revulsion filled Emma’s face. “And if Asmos doesn’t transfer? If I die before he can possess me?”

“Then it’s over. You are the last. You are the one who has his essence.”

“That’s not quite true.”

He looked at her, his eyes widening slightly.

“So does my father.”

He took a deep breath. “I thought so. He healed too fast.”

“We really don’t know what’s going to happen, do we?”

He shook his head. “No, we don’t know what stopped Asmos twenty years ago. How your mother died. You were the only witness.”

“I’m sorry. I can’t remember.”

“It’s okay. The memories will come. In the meantime, we will have to proceed with what we know.”

“Which is?”

“You already have the essence in you. On the night of the Equinox, we’re going to try and draw him out of the wolves using the crystals.”

The way he was looking at her, with desire alive in his eyes, warmed her, though she knew it shouldn’t. She knew it should make her scared, should make her want to turn tail and run. But she couldn’t help the joy surging within her. He felt the connection between them, too. It wasn’t just her. He wanted her, too. “You think it will work?” she asked.

“I hope so. But we’re both going to need to do it together. Two hands, two hearts, two minds—both focused on pulling him out of the wolves and into the stone. Do you think you can handle it?”

“I suppose. If I have to. After the last couple of days, I think I can handle anything. But tell me, why can’t we train with real weapons? Wouldn’t guns, knives and swords give us a better chance?”

“The Cadre believes in capturing paras. Studying them, isolating them. Which is why I’m not teaching you how to protect yourself using weapons.”

“But how can anyone think they can go against a demon without harming it?”

“Because we’ve been trained in other methods that have been proven more than effective. By using the demon-containment crystals we can capture a demon, then bring it back for the interrogators. They will conduct interviews and try to discover as much information about the demon as they can. Mischievous, troublemaking demons are debriefed, then deported back to the Dark Realm where they came from.”

“And the others? The powerful evil types?”

“They’re placed back in the crystals.”

“Forever?”

He sighed. “Forever is a very long time.”

“So, why do I get the impression that you don’t agree with their choices?”

“I do and I don’t. The problem is that the demons keep evolving and changing. And now it looks like there could be demons coming from a different demon realm, following different rules than the Cadre are used to. Up until recently, the Cadre’s methods have always worked. We’ve been able to gather a lot of information, all to the benefit of mankind, information we wouldn’t have if we had gone at this the way P-Cell does, blasting first, asking questions later.”

“P-Cell?”

“They’re known as death merchants. They’re a secret paranormal task force division of the British Security Service whose sole job is to hunt down evil demons and otherworld entities and eradicate them.”

“Doesn’t sound so bad.”

“Yeah, except sometimes innocent people get caught in the crossfire. Not to mention that once a demon’s dead, there’s nothing useful that can be learned from it.”

“But now things are different?”

He rubbed a hand across his face. “I’ve learned that there has to be a middle ground. Sometimes you have to bring out the heavy guns, or the price is too steep to pay.”

The heaviness in his eyes concerned her. “Is this going to be one of those times?”

“It just might be.”

“But if you go against the Cadre—”

“Then there will be no coming back.”

She nodded, but couldn’t help wondering what that would mean for her father. They’d made such progress with him. Could she chance them sending him away? Risk his recovery?

“Your forehead is creased with worry lines.” He rubbed her skin with the pad of his thumb and smiled at her.

Her heart tripped, as she grasped for something to say.

“Let’s practice our meditation,” he suggested.

She nodded and he began to talk her through the relaxing ritual. Her mind focused on his voice, letting the rich timbre fill her until he was deep within her, and she was lost in his words.

“This is very important, Emma. When you feel you’re coming apart, focus on my voice, on my touch. That will be what pulls you off the edge. You need to trust me, totally and completely. No matter what.”

“I do trust you,” she insisted, but even as she spoke the words, a nagging doubt filled her mind, asking if perhaps her trust wasn’t misplaced.

“You don’t sound so certain,” he said.

“I’m afraid.”

“You should be.”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÇáÑÏ Úáì ÇáãæÇÖíÚ