مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : nargis المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Chapter Five
The Mediterranean-style Garrison estate in Bal Harbour should have felt like home, but it didn't.
Still Stephen reflected, even now with John Garrison gone, and his extramarital affair and it’s illegitimate child exposed, not to mention Bonita’s heavy drinking, they all still felt obliged to maintain the illusion of a happy family gathering over Sunday dinner.
Yet it was rare for all the Garrison siblings to be present, and tonight was no exception.
Stephen looked around the room. Bonita sat at the head of the dining room table, and his younger brother Adam, and younger sister Brooke, sat across from him.
Missing were Parker and Anna, and Brookes twin Brittany. Stephen figured the newlyweds had better things to do. Lucky dogs. And since Brittany had recently decided she was in love with Emilio Jefferies she preferred avoiding tense family dinners.
Now as they chewed dinner mostly in silence. Stephen reflected on how an outsider might perceive tonight’s gathering.
Valuable artwork hung on one wall, and in front of the opposite wall sat a china closet displaying various crystal pieces. Potted ferns sat in two corners of the room, and Greek columns flanked an arched entry. Overhead, a magnificent chandelier hung from a painted domed ceiling.
The room, like the rest of the estate, was majestic—and cold as ice.
His gaze came back to his family. Better to bite the bullet, he thought grimly.
"I just found out I have an illegitimate child." he announced into the silence.
Brooke gasped, and Adam froze.
Bonita stopped in mid motion her wineglass halfway to her lips.
Given the shock waves that the discovery of John Garrisons illegitimate child had recently sent through the family, he had no illusions about how his news would be received.
Suddenly Bonita gave a raucous laugh. "Just like your father, except you don't have a wife to trick."
He ignored the outburst, though it was uncharacteristic. He was the only one of the Garrison off-spring that his mother didn't criticize, but he knew his news was a bombshell. "There's a three-year-old little girl named Jade."
"How?" Adam asked, raising the question he knew must be in everyone's mind.
He held his brother's gaze. "I had a relationship with her mother. Megan Simmons, when she did some interior design work at Garrison headquarters."
Bonita shook her head. "Just like your damned father!"
He heard the note of betrayal in his mother's tone, and felt his face tighten. "I'm planning on publicly acknowledging Jade as my daughter as soon as possible."
And marrying Megan, he added silently, if he got his way. He planned to do everything in his power to get his way.
Bonita's hand came down, her glass hitting the table with a thud and sending red wine across the white tablecloth. "You will do no such thing, do you hear me? I will not have the child of another tramp in this family! I will not tolerate another slut getting her hands on the Garrison fortune!"
He faced his mother. "You have no say in the matter." he ground out.
‘I’m disappointed in you. Stephen." Bonita said, her voice frigid despite her inebriated state. "First your father betrays this family, then you do. Don't we have enough turmoil to deal with?"
In fact, he'd been thinking the same thing, but he rebelled at putting Megan in the same category as his father’s faithlessness.
His fling with Megan may have been careless, but it sure as hell hadn't amounted to marital infidelity.
And it wasn't the fact that he had fathered a child out of wedlock that bothered him. It was having a child and not acknowledging her for years that, for him created uncomfortable parallels with his father.
The longtime housekeeper Lisette appeared in the archway, no doubt having heard raised voices.
Bonita knocked a wine bottle to the floor, sending more wine, as well as glass this time, everywhere. Then she rose unsteadily to her feet.
Stephen stood, and Adam did the same.
Immediately Lisette moved to Bonita's side. "Let me help you. Mrs. Garrison."
Stephen watched, along with Adam and Brooke, as Lisette helped Bonita from the room.
His hands bunched at his sides. He figured Lisette as well as the missing Garrison family members, would find out soon enough what caused tonight’s ruckus.
"Well, another rocking Garrison family dinner!" Adam said, then picked up his glass and raised it in a mock salute before taking a swallow.
"Why don't we continue this conversation outside on the patio where the wet bar is?" he said to Adam and Brooke. Outside, they would be away from any prying eyes and open ears among the household staff. "We can let the staff clean up in here."
They'd almost finished with dinner, anyway. He looked down at the spilled wine and broken glass in distaste.
"Sorry." Brooke demurred. "I think I'll pass."
Stephen noticed his sister continued to look pale.
"Is something wrong?" he asked. "Did my news shock you that much?"
"N-no." she stammered.
He searched her face. ''You look upset."
‘I’m concerned about Mothers drinking." She lowered her voice. "Did you notice she drank almost a full bottle of wine at dinner—before she spilled the rest?"
Yeah, he had and he hated to think how much his mother had imbibed before dinner.
Still, he had to admit that sometimes he'd felt the need for a fortifying drink before a Garrison family dinner.
They'd all moved to one end of the dining room, and he gently chucked Brooke under the chin. "Don't worry, kid. Let our mother deal with her own problems. But if it makes you feel better I'm planning on having a talk with her."
Fat lot of good it would do but he'd try. For some reason, today’s dinner aside Bonita usually held her tongue with him and he figured that gave him some leverage. He'd also have to make clear that he wouldn't tolerate his mother taking any more cheap shots at Megan.
After he and Adam had said goodbye to Brooke and had retreated outdoors to the patio, he went to the marble-topped wet bar to pour himself a Scotch on the rocks.
The patio was dominated by an Olympic-size pool and lined with queen palms that swayed in the cool breeze. There was an unobstructed view of the ocean.
Their surroundings were serene, which made the recent tumult inside the mansion seem all the more out of place.
"Drink?" he asked Adam, who'd taken a seat on one of the bar stools.
"Bookers Bourbon, thanks."
From there, the conversation quickly moved to local business and politics. By an unspoken agreement, he and Adam put the ugly scene inside behind them as quickly as possible.
"The president of the Miami Business Council is retiring next year." Stephen found himself observing after several minutes.
"Yeah I know." Adam said. "I've been thinking of running to be his replacement."
Stephen shook his head. "The Business Council wants to uphold a certain image. Only married men have ever won election." He raised his glass and took a sip of his drink. "And you and I little brother, are far from the image they want."
He and his brothers had well-earned reputations as players. Except now Parker was married, and he'd probably be heading the same way soon too though he didn't feel the need to share that news with Adam just yet.
"So what are you going to do about Jade? I'd like to meet her." Adam paused. ‘I’m an uncle, and I didn't even know it!"
"Try finding out that three years ago you became a father." Stephen replied ruefully. "And don't worry, you'll get to meet her."
All the Garrisons would, even if he had to move heaven and earth to make it happen.
His brows snapped together as he recalled Megan's accusation that he'd cheated. He could barely remember the night she'd referred to or the woman who may or may not have tried to come on to him. But he knew he'd never two-timed anyone.
Still, he'd have to jog his memory somehow about the night she was talking about. It infuriated him even now that she had continued to be skeptical even in the face of his denial.
"How did you feel when you found out you had a child?" Adam asked, curiosity lacing his words.
Stephen considered his brothers question. As he looked out at the water Megan’s words came back to him. ‘You wouldn't be thrilled to discover I was pregnant.’
Four years ago he'd been happy to live in the moment. Yes. he'd given a passing thought to the fact that Megan was the one woman he could settle down with, but he hadn't taken any concrete steps in that direction. The truth was he'd have been blown away to discover he was a father.
Now though, he thought about the little girl he'd seen yesterday. She looked like him, and he'd felt an instant connection.
He knew he wanted to be a father to Jade.
"It was unbelievable." he said, his gaze moving from the ocean to his brother. "She looks just like a Garrison, and the protectiveness automatically kicked in."
In fact, he was mad as hell at being shortchanged on the past three years.
"I've heard having a daughter changes everything for guys." Adam commented. "Suddenly you can't look at women the same way."
Tell me about it. Stephen thought, his mind traveling over all the women who'd blended into his past. Adam was right. He wouldn't want Jade to grow up and fall for the kind of smooth operator he'd been for most of his adult life.
"So you're going to publicly acknowledge her?" Adam shook his head doubtfully. "I hope you know what you're getting into. As much as I hate echoing our mother, what do you know about Megan Simmons?"
"Enough." he said shortly.
"I remember meeting her when you dated four years ago." Adam went on. "Think she's one of those women who believes getting knocked up by a rich guy is like hitting the jackpot?"
"Shut up. Adam."
"No. really." his brother pressed.
"You don't know anything about it. She was hiding the kid's existence from me. I found out accidentally when I showed up at her house unannounced."
Adam whistled. "Well, that puts a different spin on things. I won't bother asking why you showed up at her house without an invitation." His brother gave him a sly look. "Still carrying a torch?"
"Shut up." he said, and downed some more of his drink.
It was late Sunday afternoon, and she and Anna Cross—no. Anna Garrison now. Megan corrected herself—sat at her dinette table enjoying some coffee and sinfully good Tres Leches cake.
Jade was playing in the living room, where they could hear and sometimes see her.
The house was big enough for Jade to play in small enough for just two people. Megan was glad now shed taken up Anna’s lease when shed moved back to Miami. At the time Anna had no longer needed the house in Coral Gables because she was marrying Parker Garrison.
Jade's uncle.
Of course, that meant Anna was Jade’s aunt.
She really needed to fess up. Megan thought, looking at her friend.
She steeled herself and took a deep breath. "I have something to tell you."
"Mmm?" Anna responded, cutting off another piece of cake with her fork. "I shouldn't, but this is so—so yummy—"
"Jade is a Garrison."
Anna stilled for a moment, then her fork clattered against her plate. "What?"
Anna stared at her in disbelief, a dozen questions flitting across her face.
Megan rubbed clammy hands against her shorts. "Before you came to Miami four years ago. I dated Stephen Garrison."
"Stephen—?"
Megan nodded.
"I didn't even know the two of you had been together.
"It wasn't a long relationship" Though it had left its permanent mark. "It ended badly, and once it did. I was reluctant for a long time to share the details with anyone."
Now though, she decided to fill in Anna on her past relationship and recent conversations with Stephen. Once she was done, she said. "He's threatened to go public. And he demanded I marry him."
"I can’t believe you didn't tell him about Jade." Anna said. "Not that I'm passing judgment. It's just that I think I'd have found it hard to keep it secret."
And that was why Megan thought, she hadn't confided in her closest friend about the details of Jade’s paternity. She knew Anna would be working at Garrison. Inc headquarters, and she didn't want to burden her friend with an explosive secret about the boss's brother.
Of course, she'd been tripped up by not having confided in Anna.
Anna looked thoughtful now that she seemed to have recovered from the initial shock. "I knew there was something between you and Stephen. I got some hints from Stephen's reaction when I mentioned you at dinner once. You also seemed to have a funny reaction at my wedding when he was heading our way."
"Actually Stephen discovered I was back in Miami when you mentioned it to him." Megan said.
Anna's brow furrowed. "Oh. Megan. I'm so sorry! I didn't know how it would cause problems! All I wanted to do was send some business your way."
"Thanks." She reached out and patted Anna's hand soothingly. "I know you had the best intentions."
"And you know." Anna went on "you can help Stephen. The Jefferieses are pressing hard, helped along by what Parker thinks is a corporate spy within the Garrison organization." Her lips twisted. "For a while Parker—and I guess Stephen, as well—thought I was the spy."
'Yes you explained it to me." She withdrew her hand and waved it around vaguely. "But now look at you. You're the glowing newlywed."
Anna laughed self-consciously, then murmured, "Parker..."
"Believe me, I'm very familiar with the charms of the Garrison men." Megan nodded her head toward the front room. "I have a daughter to prove it."
"But you don't regret Jade, do you?"
"No of course not. She's wonderful. But now I have Stephen to deal with."
"All the Garrison men are alike." Anna observed obliquely. "What are you going to do?"
Megan sighed. "I'm not sure. Any suggestions?"
"Why don't you agree to marry him?"
"Are you serious? I can't!"
Obviously. Anna's eyes were clouded by love. Megan thought.
"Why not?"
Two simple words, and yet they dredged up a wealth of emotion. Megan thought. She was dangerously weak where Stephen was concerned, despite everything.
She’d seen that herself since he'd walked into her life again. It had been the same old feeling of excitement and overwhelming awareness—as if she couldn't stop arguing with him and the only way to deal with it was to give in to the itch to jump his bones.
"He's a cheat." she *******ed herself with saying.
"Are you sure?" Anna pressed.
"You mean, am I sure I saw a woman with disheveled clothing emerging from Stephen's yacht, claiming to have seen more of him than his famous cleft chin?" Megan asked sarcastically. "Then yes. I'm sure."
Anna cocked her head. "Well, even if he did cheat, that was four years ago. Now you have a child together. Think about Jade."
In fact, she had been thinking about Jade. Until now, Jade hadn't had a father in her life—though her own parents and family had been around in Indianapolis to shower her with love.
"You know." Anna went on "being married to Stephen might not be so bad. It would take away some worries. Jade would grow up with everything money has to offer. You wouldn't have to worry about arriving at some complicated arrangement with Stephen for him to see her."
Yes she thought, but she didn't know if she could take living under the same roof with Stephen. Sharing his bed...
Just being in the same room with him made her tense, jittery, and acutely aware of herself as a woman.
And she definitely couldn't risk her heart again. She'd cried for days, heartsick, when she'd discovered his betrayal four years ago.
At the time, she hadn't told him she was pregnant because she was sure a marriage between them would have been a disaster: he'd have cheated—he'd already proven himself capable of it—and she'd have wound up divorcing him to save herself.
There was no way she could marry him.
No way... no way... no way...
Unless...unless, of course, she could marry him without risking her heart again.
She paused.
Now there might be a way out of her dilemma....

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 15-10-07, 07:47 AM   المشاركة رقم: 12
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 6878
المشاركات: 209
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: nargis عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 16

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Six

Stephen stepped out of the elevators at Garrison. Inc.. and the receptionist gave him a wide smile.
"Hi. Sheila."
'Hello, sugar." Sheila batted her eyelashes at him and purred, "Come to make my day?"
He laughed. "I wish I could, honey, but duty calls."
Sheila pretended to pout.
The blue-eyed, blond ex-Playboy bunny was his type, but this time, he knew his heart wasn't in their customary banter.
Damn Megan.
"Parker in his office?" he asked.
Sheila nodded.
"Thanks." he said, then walked down the hall.
He greeted Mario, who was pushing a mail cart and had been with the company since John Garrisons day then a human resources person named Roberta, who was a recent hire.
All the while, he keenly observed every employee he passed. Someone in the firmament at Garrison. Inc. was passing along information to the Jefferies brothers, and until they discovered who it was he and Parker and every other executive had to be careful about what they said and did within range of others.
Just last month, someone had accessed Parkers office computer and forwarded an e-mail they'd planted to Jordan Jefferies.
At his brothers partially closed office door, he rapped with his knuckles.
When he strode in Parker said. "I hear congratulations are in order."
Closing the door Stephen made for one of the leather chairs positioned before his brothers desk. "Thanks, but save it for after the wedding."
He was here because he and Parker had a Monday-morning appointment scheduled with Brandon Washington, the Garrison family lawyer. Brandon was always punctual, so Stephen knew he'd be here soon.
He caught his brothers raised eyebrows as he settled into his chair. "Somehow I knew the news would reach you one way or another."
Parker leaned back in his mesh swivel chair and tapped his fingertips together. "Maybe not the way you expected. Anna."
That caught his attention. "Anna?"
"I guess its all right to disclose this now since I also discovered you've been letting the news be known yourself." His brother paused. "Anna was over at Megan's place yesterday afternoon, and they had a little powwow."
Stephen felt his nostrils flare. "Tell me the wife encouraged Megan to do the sane thing."
Parker chuckled. "Define sane."
"Stuff it Parker."
"Whoa whoa, go easy here. I just discovered I'm an uncle."
Stephen let go with an expletive.
Parker eyed him. "You know. I should have known the minute I hired Megan four years ago that you'd find her irresistible. Of course, a redhead with flashing green eyes would send you down for the count."
"Yeah well. I'm up again, and I intend to win this match. Why the hell didn't you tell me Anna and Megan were friends?"
His brother shrugged. "I had no idea myself until recently. It never came up. In fact, the first time I saw Megan again was at the wedding."
"You haven't reacted to my news with the same suspicion it’s been greeted with in other quarters." Stephen observed.
"Well. I did hire Megan, and I am married to Anna."
Just then a knock sounded, and both brothers turned to look at the door.
"Come in." Parker called.
Brandon walked in. "Good morning." He shut the door behind him. ‘I’m glad to see you're both here."
Stephen and Parker stood, and the men all shook hands.
Brandon took the other chair facing Parker.
"So what do we have Brandon?" Stephen asked, as he and Parker sat back down.
"Cassie Garrison is still refusing to deal." Brandon stated matter-of-factly.
Stephen suppressed a snort of disgust.
At the reading of his fathers will two months ago he along with the rest of the family, had discovered John Garrison had fathered a daughter during an extramarital affair with Ava Sinclair, a local he'd met in the Bahamas.
On top of it all it turned out that the daughter was Cassie Sinclair, the manager of the Garrison Grand-Bahamas hotel, and that she along with the five legitimate Garrison siblings, had inherited shares in the family business.
Stephens lips twisted. Cassie Sinclair now chose to go by the name Cassie Sinclair Garrison.
Something had to be done.
So far Cassie had resisted Parkers overtures and refused to turn over her shares in the Garrison empire.
"She apparently just wants to be left alone to run the Garrison Grand-Bahamas." Brandon said.
"No dice." Parker responded.
Brandon sighed. ‘I’m not getting anywhere by phone. Frankly, our best option is if I go down there and try to negotiate in person for a deal to buy her out."
Parker laced his fingers together. "I have no problem with that plan." Parker glanced over at Stephen for his assent before looking back at Brandon. "Were willing to pay—within reason."
Brandon named what he'd offered as a reasonable price for Cassie's shares, and Stephens hand flexed on his armrest.
"You snowballed her first?" Stephen heard himself ask.
"Of course." Brandon said.
Stephen trusted Brandon like a brother. The Washingtons—Brandon and his father before him—had been the family legal advisors for years. Still, it was vitally important they get this problem with Cassie wrapped up soon and to their satisfaction. They couldn't let the future of the Garrison empire rest with an unknown quantity—a potential loose cannon.
"And if she still refuses to sell after I approach her in person?" Brandon asked, voicing the question on all their minds.
"Everyone has their price." Parker said grimly. "Well have to think about how much more were willing to offer."
Stephen arched a brow. "Or we can borrow a page from the world of celebrity." He looked over at Brandon. "When you get down there, why don't you first see if you can dig up some dirt on Cassie's past? It'll give us some leverage to force her hand."
Parker nodded thoughtfully. "With stakes like this I'll take any ammunition I can get."
When Megan walked into Stephen's office at Garrison Inc she had some design plans in hand. But more importantly, she had a decision.
Stephen stepped around his desk and strode toward her.
"I've drawn up some preliminary plans," she said. "You can take a look at them at your leisure, and then we can discuss them. Anything can be changed, of course."
He took the plans from her and dropped them on a nearby table. Then he shut his office door and braced his arm there. "Well?"
They both knew the real topic of this meeting.
She told herself she wasn't afraid of him. She wasn't afraid of the vast Garrison family wealth and influence. But she had to face reality.
She chewed her lip. "I've thought about your proposal."
His proposal had been a far cry from her girlhood dreams, but those she d buried along with their relationship four years ago.
"Good. I expected you to."
She walked farther into the room, and he followed.
Stephen’s immense office had a view of the beach and endless blue water. His desk stood in front of floor-to-ceiling windows, and off to one side were a sofa and chairs arranged around a low table.
Like the rest of the hotel, the office was light and airy. The only thing she’d change was the abstract artwork. Though she was sure it was all very valuable, she’d prefer to see something less geometrical and more soft, maybe impressionist.
But more importantly, the view from Stephen’s windows said everything, and that she couldn't change. She watched as a toned blonde walked past to head into the hotel.
She turned toward Stephen.
His too-handsome face gave nothing away.
Nervous energy thrummed through her. She rubbed a palm against her taupe linen skirt. "I've decided to accept your proposal."
His eyes shot dark fire, and she could read the triumph in them. "Well have the wedding next weekend."
Her stomach flipped over. "Next weekend? That's not enough time!"
Shed thought she’d have more time to adjust to the idea of being Mrs. Stephen Garrison.
"You've already had four years." he said in a clipped voice, as if he'd read her mind.
"A week is not enough time to plan a wedding—"
A grim smile slashed his face. "It is if we have it here at the Garrison Grand, where conveniently I'm the boss. In fact I just put together Parker and Anna’s wedding in a short time."
"I have a job I just started." she began.
"You won’t need to do anything but show up."
She stared at him doubtfully.
"Let’s seal the deal." He looked at her innocently. "I hope that's okay?"
Then before she could react, he pulled her into his arms, and his lips came down on hers.
First there was the warm pressure of his mouth, then he slipped inside, his tongue touching and coaxing hers.
Hot sweet sensation flooded her and a rainbow of colors danced behind her eyelids.
When he eventually pulled back, he gave her a heavy-lidded look. "Just like I remembered." he murmured.
She touched her fingertips to her lips, feeling him there still.
Ordinarily, the stolen kiss might have sparked her ire but under the circumstances, it reminded her of what she had to do.
She dropped her hand. "I forgot to mention something." she said hoarsely.
"What's that?"
She took a breath. "I have a couple of conditions of my own."
His look turned guarded. "Shoot."
"I want to wait until after the wedding to explain to Jade that you're her biological father."
He looked ready to argue, so she rushed on. "I want to give her time to adjust. It’s enough for the moment that I'm springing this wedding on her."
"Aren't you just drawing this out when it would be better to explain the whole thing at once?"
She shook her head. "I want her to get used to you...get to know and—and like you first, without putting any sense of obligation on her three-year-old shoulders."
"Fine." he said, though she knew he still wasn't thrilled with her idea.
And now for the hard part, she thought.
"I'm agreeing to this marriage for Jade's sake." she said. "I know there'll be lots of advantages to growing up a Garrison and with you there to help raise her."
He nodded, as if he was glad she saw reason.
"That's why." she went on her chin coming up "this will be a marriage in name only. I'm doing this for Jade. I won’t sleep with you. Stephen."
Something in his eyes flared, and his lips curled. "Strong words from a woman who just melted into my kiss."
"Those are my conditions." she repeated.
Their eyes held for one drawn-out moment.
"You'll get your own bedroom." he said finally.
She relaxed. She was thankful for the walls of a bedroom. Now she just had to work on shoring up the ones around her heart.
When she pushed back the tissue paper Megan felt the breath leave her.
A short while ago a messenger had delivered several boxes. She’d taken the delivery, puzzled but knowing from the sender’s information that it came from Stephen. She’d wondered why he hadn't bothered to bring the boxes himself, since he was due to arrive in a short time.
Now Megan let her fingers stroke over the smooth white satin revealed.
She’d opened the first box.
A multitude of conflicting emotions stormed her.
She understood now why Stephen may have chosen to send the boxes by messenger before he arrived. Once shed seen what he'd bought for her he'd known she’d find it hard to resist.
Carefully, she lifted the gown from the box and examined it.
It was a backless sheath dress with a small swallowtail train made of satin overlaid with lace. The bodice, which had a sweetheart neckline, was held up by two spaghetti straps.
Simple but sexy, it would be spectacular with her flaming red hair, as well as show off her generous chest to advantage.
Stephen knew her so well. And that, she realized, was part of the problem.
Shed told Stephen shed be wearing something practical—something she already owned—for the wedding. Instead, he'd overridden her.
He'd sent her this dress, and its message was clear: she was being served up as a delicious dessert he intended to savor.
Still, the dress was so beautiful, it brought tears to her eyes.
Shed once wished for happily-ever-after. Instead, she was getting an illusion.
A sham wedding leading to a fake marriage.
Tamping down a sudden well of emotion, she forced herself to open the rest of the boxes.
One box contained a pair of stylish stiletto sandals. Another held an adorable sleeveless flower girl's dress with a high ribbon waist and matching white sandals.
Her heart squeezed as she thought of Jade and how delighted shed be.
When she opened the last box however, her reaction changed, and she felt heat course through her.
The box contained a white bustier, matching lacy underwear and thigh-high hosiery.
Unbidden, images of modeling the sexy concoction for Stephen went through her mind.
Then, annoyed with herself, she let her hand drop away from the box.
Of course Stephen had no trouble picking out her size. He was a connoisseur of the female form, she reminded herself. A playboy extraordinaire.
She was torn from her thoughts by the sound of the doorbell.
Moments later, she heard the sound of running feet.
"Mommy, there's someone at the door!" Jade called out.
"I'll be right there."
She and Stephen had agreed he'd come over on Wednesday night in order to ease the transition for Jade to the upcoming marriage.
She’d already explained to Jade as well as she could that she’d be getting married to Stephen and they'd be known as Megan and Jade Garrison.
Now she prayed Stephen's get-to-know-you session with his daughter went well.
When she opened the door, with Jade peering around her she was presented with an incongruous sight. Stephen held a bouquet of flowers in one hand, and a large brown-haired, brown-eyed baby doll in the other.
As annoyed as she'd just been with him she couldn't help reacting with a laughing gasp.
His eyes met hers, and she saw laughter lurking within them. "She rode in the front passenger seat."
Wide-eyed. Jade stared at Stephen.
Megan covered her mouth.
Not a word. Stephens eyes mockingly warned her. Then he stepped forward. "Hello, honey."
Megan stared at him—dressed as the consummate corporate executive in a charcoal business suit—before he bent forward and kissed her on the lips.
"We need to make this good for Jade." he murmured as he straightened.
She gave him a startled look, then closed the door behind him. What was he up to?
But Stephen was already looking down at his daughter. He smiled. "Hello. Jade."
Jade edged closer to her and Megan put a comforting arm behind her.
"Hi." Jade said hesitantly.
Megan realized with a start that Jade was uncharacteristically shy.
Apparently, it was one thing to enthusiastically point out a stranger—as Jade had done when Stephen had appeared in their backyard on Saturday—and another to welcome someone more permanent.
Megan prayed again or all their sakes that tonight went well.
Stephen held out the baby doll, which was dressed in pink and purple and wore a headband. "I have a present for you. This is Abby and she's looking for a home."
Jade eyed the doll, then looked back at Stephen.
Megan saw a flicker of uncertainty in Stephens eyes, and her heart went out to him. He was clearly lost.
"Stephen bought a gift for you isn't that nice?" she said to Jade.
They'd agreed Jade would call him Stephen until she got used to him in her life.
Jade stepped forward, then took the doll and hugged it to her. "Thank you."
Megan watched as Stephen's eyes went to her again. "And these are for you."
The bouquet that he held out to her contained lilies mixed with lavender. Her favorite. He’d sent the flowers to her when they'd dated, and he'd remembered still.
"Thank you."
Their hands brushed over the flowers, and a sizzle went through her. And though her mind flashed danger, her heart beat rapidly.
She steadied herself. "Why don't we go into the living room? Dinner is almost ready. Would you like anything to drink Stephen?"
"A beer would be great."
Jade was already playing with her doll, and Stephen planted himself halfway between the kitchen and where the little girl sat.
Megan felt a small smile rise to her lips. Big bad Stephen Garrison was in unfamiliar territory, rendered helpless by a three-year-old.
She could see the headline: Playboy Beaten by Child's Play.
When she came out with Stephen's beer, she noticed Jade looking at him from the corner of her eyes.
The little girl stood, then blurted. "Would you like to see my toys?"
She watched the play of emotions on Stephens face, before he responded casually. "Sure. Let’s see what you got kid."
Her heart constricted as she watched Stephen follow Jade, and a variety of emotions swept over her.
Finally, she headed back to the kitchen. She had chicken Kiev in the oven and potatoes and broccoli on the stove.
Dinner would be a far cry from what Stephen was used to at Miami's top-tier restaurants, including the ones within the Garrison Grand itself. She had to give a nod to kid fare, but she reminded herself that Stephen was better off finding out sooner rather than later what parenthood was about. He was determined to come into her life and Jades, and she wasn't going to sugarcoat it for him.
When shed gotten everything on the table, she went to find them—the most important person in her life, and the one around whom her world had revolved four years ago.
She located them in Jades room.
"...and this is Holly, and that's Caroline." her daughter said.
Megan watched as Stephen nodded. "Quite a crowd."
Jade had all her dolls and stuffed animals lined up and apparently had been introducing them all to Stephen.
"Dinner’s ready." Megan heard herself say.
Stephen and Jade both turned to her.
"But Mommy. I still need to introduce my dolls!"
"Later, sweetie."
Stephen winked. "I promise I’ll come back after dinner, pumpkin."
Jade pulled a face but trudged in the direction of the kitchen.
Pumpkin ?
It was a big turnaround from where Stephen and Jade had been a mere thirty minutes ago and Megan was reminded again of the fact that a three-year-old’s worldview could do a one-eighty in a minute.
She watched Jade leave, then looked back at Stephen. "Quick work there."
He gave her a lazy smile. "Charm upsets you?"
She forced herself to shrug indifferently. "Your legendary charm. Why should I be surprised?"
"Afraid you'll fall under it again?" he challenged.
"I've been inoculated for life."
He chuckled as he sauntered toward her. "Don't worry. I leave my best for someone...special."
She sucked in a breath, but he didn't try to steal a kiss or make a pass.
Instead, he walked out of the room and followed Jade's lead.
She expelled the breath she was holding, then followed him out.
In the house's little dining area, she saw Stephen eyeing the floral display in the center of the table.
She'd set his bouquet there in a clear glass vase.
"Very nice." he commented, "if I do say so myself."
"I put them there so we wouldn't have to stare at each other across the table through dinner." she muttered in a low voice as she went past.
He had the audacity to laugh, which just sent a shiver through her because she remembered how much she'd always liked his laugh.
She felt his arm snake around her and he gave her a quick kiss on the neck.
"Glad you like them so much."
"You know flowers that stand for devotion are my favorite." she retorted.
At dinner Jade kept up a steady stream of conversation with Stephen. She seemed openly curious about him now.
He handled her questions well, simplifying but never talking down to her and it was clear that though he was still feeling his way he was gaining confidence with every passing second.
Megan watched the interaction and thought they could all be any family having dinner together. Except this was a pretend family with an upcoming sham marriage.

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 15-10-07, 08:05 AM   المشاركة رقم: 13
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Seven

So far Stephen thought, things were working out as he'd planned.
Jade was warming to him and while he had further to go with Megan, he knew at least that she was far from being immune to him.
"Want to see the rest of my dolls?" Jade piped up as soon as dinner was over.
"Sure."
Jades face lit up. She ran around the table to grab his hand and tug him forward as he stood.
"Jade, we don't drag guests around like toys." Megan warned. "Stephen isn't Barney."
"Yes. Mommy," Jade responded without looking at her mother.
Stephen felt a smile pull at his lips.
She reminded him of himself when he was a little kid—full of boundless energy and enthusiasm. He wondered which parts of herself Megan saw in Jade.
It was still hitting him that this little girl was his. He wouldn't—couldn't—let her down.
Twenty minutes later, Jade was instructing him on tea party etiquette using her table-and-chair set and toy kitchen when Megan appeared in the doorway.
His eyes ate her up. He'd discarded his jacket and tie before dinner, but she was dressed even more casually in a flower-print short-sleeved blouse, tailored beige cropped pants and espadrille sandals.
Memories tugged and he remembered the way they used to dance together at some of Miami's hottest nightspots.
Their bodies had brushed, swayed and come together again. They'd tantalized each other before heading home to make passionate love on silk sheets.
Realizing he'd been staring at Megan and she’d begun looking back at him questioningly he suddenly felt ridiculous.
It was absurd to be having sexy thoughts about Megan while he was sitting in a girly pink bedroom, waiting to drink pretend tea from a toy cup.
Covering his lapse, he said. "Have you shown Jade her flower girl dress?"
Megan hesitated, but Jade perked up. "Dress? What color?"
"Pink, of course." he informed her.
Jade squealed and clapped her hands. "Can I see? Can I see?"
Megan sighed. "It’s on my bed. Jade."
Stephen noted Megan didn't seem too happy with his gift. He was doubly glad now he'd let the cat out of the bag and gotten the jump on her.
They followed Jade to Megan's bedroom, which was decorated in tropical colors of lime-green, peach and pink. White wicker furniture blended with a couple of antique pieces.
His eyes fell to the bed where some of his purchases from yesterday lay in and out of their boxes. The lingerie he'd sent was nowhere to be seen but a tulle-and-satin flower girl dress with a wide sash and little rosebud embroidery along the neckline lay spread out across the bed.
Jade oohed and aahed over the dress before announcing. "I love it!"
"I wasn't sure of the size, so I had to guess."
"It’s her size." Megan said gloomily from next to him.
He tossed her an amused look, and she raised an eyebrow at him. Clearly there'd be a battle later, but he was more than up for it.
After Megan gave in to Jade’s pleas to try on the dress, and the little girl had twirled around for them. Megan announced it was time for dessert.
They all went back to the dining room to have what Stephen discovered was Jades favorite: mint chocolate chip ice cream with chocolate syrup.
Afterward, the three of them cleared the table and Megan said it was Jades bedtime.
Jade put up some resistance, but gave up the fight when Stephen agreed to read a bedtime story.
Only after he'd read three of Jades favorite stories were he and Megan able to head back to the living room.
Once there. Megan folded her arms. "I can’t accept the gifts you sent."
"Then I suppose you're really not going to like this." He reached into his pocket, then picked up her hand and slid a ring onto her finger.
He heard her breath catch, hitch.
Yesterday, he'd gone to one of Miami's most exclusive jewelers and bought an engagement ring with a large Canadian diamond in the center flanked by two emeralds.
"The stones signify our yesterday, today and tomorrow." he told her. "I chose emeralds for your eyes."
"We're not having much of an engagement." she said, staring at the ring.
"We're just condensing the steps."
She looked up at him then started to pull the ring off, but he stopped her.
Her chin came up. "Do you want a symbolic reminder of our yesterdays Stephen?"
His mouth tightened. "Do you regret having Jade?"
"You know that's not what I meant!"
"Then what did you mean?" he challenged her. "Do I want to remember nights of mind-blowing sex? Do I want to remember the way we were so hot for each other, we couldn't be in the same room without getting turned on?"
Their eyes locked.
He'd opened the door, and their past came flooding back. One touch, one kiss, right now and Stephen knew they'd both be swept away.
"I was waiting to discuss the packages with you but now that you made her aware of the dress. Jade is all excited."
"Yeah well, consider yourself outmaneuvered."
The air between them shimmered with sexual energy.
"And what about that kiss when you first walked in?"
He gave her a rakish smile. "What about it?"
"What did you mean by we need to make this good for Jade?"
He sobered. "I mean, if this marriage is about doing what's best for Jade, then we need to make her believe we're happily married."
She stalked away, then whirled back. "You're just using Jade as an excuse."
Busted. "For what?" he asked innocently.
"You know what. To put the moves on me hoping to get me back in bed."
"When we wind up back in bed it’ll be because you want it as badly as I do."
"You're not even going to try to deny it are you?"
"In fact—" he glanced back toward Jades room "—since Jades asleep now. I'm going to suggest we practice." He took a step toward her.
Her eyes widened. "Definitely not necessary." she said sharply.
"But oh, so enjoyable. Did you like the lingerie I sent?"
She flushed. "Strumpet & Pink. You do know your lingerie, and why am I not surprised?"
He was close enough now to see the pulse jump at the side of her throat.
He smoothed a lock of her hair with the back of his hand, and her eyes sparked before his gaze dropped to her mouth.
He'd always liked her fire. As much as he liked her mouth, in fact. It was full and made for kissing. He remembered all she'd done with that mouth, and nearly groaned aloud.
"You had an amazing collection." he muttered against her lips, "and a fabulous body to go with it."
Then he kissed her sinking into her with a hunger that surprised even him. There was a moment when she didn't react, but then her mouth opened to him.
He deepened the kiss and brought his hand up to cup her breast, feeling the nipple harden through the thin fabric of her bra and top.
Lust slammed into him and just like that he was aroused.
She’d always been able to turn him on faster than any woman ever had and apparently nothing much had changed.
He had to have her. In bed and out. He would have her.
It gave him some satisfaction to be in control—to be calling the shots. It was what he was used to.
But if he didn't stop this make-out session soon, he was in danger of losing it. Tonight wasn't the night for seduction—just for giving her a taste.
Jade was sleeping nearby, and he didn't want to scare Megan off a wedding when he almost had her where he wanted her.
He eased back from their kiss. When he raised his head, he met her lambent gaze.
"Was that kiss supposed to prove something to me?" she asked.
"Yeah. We won’t have any problems convincing Jade." Hell, his body still raged for her and it was only with effort he got it under control.
Her brows drew together. "Of course not. You're a playboy of mythical proportions."
He refrained from gibing about what proportions she was talking about. Instead, he said. "I won’t cheat because my father was a cheater."
That got her attention.
"What?" She stopped, and her brow puckered again. "What do you mean?"
"I mean, my father had an extramarital affair, and we only found out about his twenty-seven-year-old love child at the reading of his will recently. Suffice it to say the news wreaked havoc on the family, particularly my mother."
He filled her in on his family's discovery of the existence of Cassie Sinclair Garrison and her claim on the Garrison fortune.
"You do have problems, don't you?" she said. "The Jefferieses on one hand, and now your father's illegitimate child."
"Don't forget my illegitimate child, but I'm about to fix that situation."
Megan folded her arms. ''So I'm supposed to conclude from the Cassie story that you've reformed?"
Her coolness and continued skepticism ate at him. He picked up his jacket from where he'd thrown it on the back of a chair at the beginning of the evening. "You're supposed to conclude we'll have a real marriage."
He gave her a lingering look—sparks shooting back and forth between them—before he let himself out of the house.
The wedding ceremony was held on a private slice of beach behind the Garrison Grand, where Parker and Anna's wedding had taken place the month before.
A floor had been laid over the sand, and folding chairs had been set up on either side of a makeshift aisle. Off to the side, adjacent to the hotel, was a canopied area that would serve as the location for an indoor-outdoor reception.
Because of the short notice, and the small number of guests, the local media had not caught wind of the pending nuptials.
Now as Megan stood behind Jade and next to her father in the shade of the hotels lobby, waiting for the string quartet to strike up Pachelbels Canon, she was profoundly grateful for the relative privacy.
She was nervous enough as it was.
This week, shed had to break the news to both her family and her employer that she was about to have a hasty wedding to Stephen Garrison.
Her parents and younger sister had known at least that Stephen was the father of her child, though they'd kept a vow of secrecy for the past four years.
Shed simply told them that she and Stephen had reconnected when shed moved back to Miami and that the two of them had realized they were destined to be together.
Her mother had nonetheless worried about whether Megan was making the right decision, but Megan had kept a determined, upbeat front. Her entire immediate family had decided to fly down to Miami for the weekend for the ceremony.
Breaking the news to her coworkers at Elkind. Ross had been a trickier matter. They'd been surprised and even astonished to discover she and Stephen were going to marry. None of them had even been aware that she and Stephen had been involved in the past, because she’d been discreet about her affair with the middle Garrison brother four years before.
She’d had to explain that she and Stephen had reconnected over her work on the Garrison Grand and known immediately they'd made a mistake by parting ways.
Once she’d assured everyone that Elkind Ross would continue to have the Garrison account, and she’d continue to work on it with the utmost professionalism, everyone's initial curiosity at least had been satisfied. Conrad Elkind was even attending the ceremony today along with his wife.
By far the hardest disclosure for her to deal with had been the announcement to the media. She’d helped Stephen draft a public statement that would be released right after the wedding. She’d combed over every word of the announcement of her marriage and the disclosure that Jade was Stephens child.
She was suddenly recalled from her reverie as the instrumentalists struck up Pachelbels Canon.
The assembled guests turned to look at her and she in return surveyed them. Even Bonita Garrison was in attendance, though Stephen had warned her that his mother had drawn unpleasant comparisons between their situation and the hurt caused by her late husbands philandering.
Her eyes drifted to Stephen, and she only had eyes for him as she started down the aisle created by the partitioned guests.
His expression was carved in granite—except for his eyes. As she drew closer, she saw that his eyes shone with sensuous promise.
She had to remind herself it was a well-practiced look for him and she shouldn't attach too much significance to it.
Still, when she reached his side, and they turned to face the officiant, tears pricked her eyes and she trembled.
There were times when shed wished Jade had had a father around, and now Stephen had stepped up to the plate—whether she wanted him to or not.
She handed her round bouquet of tightly packed roses to Jade.
"We have been called here today to witness Megan and Stephen being joined together in holy matrimony..."
As the officiant went on she was very aware of Stephen standing by her side and she stole a look at him. He was steady as a rock, facing forward, his expression serious.
Maybe because he felt her observation, however, he turned his head and glanced down at her.
She blinked rapidly to clear the mist from her eyes.
"Who gives this woman to be wedded to this man?"
"I do!" Jade piped up and the guests laughed.
She and Stephen laughed too and then her breath caught. She hadn't seen Stephen laugh like that in four years.
And all at once, it was time to say her vows.
"I. Megan, take you. Stephen, to be my husband..." Her voice came out a little unsteady, but Stephen held her gaze, refusing to let her look away.
When it was his turn, he looked into her eyes and spoke in a sure and clear voice. "I. Stephen, take you. Megan, to be my wife..."
His words gave her goose bumps, and the goose bumps turned to a fine tremor when it was time to exchange rings.
She wondered if Stephen could feel her unsteadiness as he took her hand and slipped a filigreed platinum band next to her engagement ring.
"Take this ring as an eternal symbol of my love..."
She couldn't look away from him as he said the words and then it was her turn to repeat them back to him.
"...I now pronounce you..."
Married. The word echoed in her head, and she felt the full effect of its heady power.
Stephen had changed the course of her life already, and now he was her husband.
Her husband, and he was bending forward, a dark glimmer in his eyes and lust in his soul.
"Let’s make it good for Jade." he murmured.
His lips touched hers, and before she could react, he'd deepened the kiss to a long and lingering one she felt down to the toes. Her hands curled into his upper arms.
The guests hooted and clapped.
Stephen straightened, and she took a deep breath. Then she hooked her arm through his and they walked past their guests and toward the hotel to the tune of "Ode to Joy."
Fortunately, once the reception started under tents set up on the beach, she was able to mingle among the guests and push aside—at least for the moment—the disturbing feelings Stephen aroused in her.
As she watched Jade dance with Stephen, Anna come over to congratulate her.
Her friend gave her a quick hug. "I'm so glad you married into the family, even if I have selfish reasons. The Garrisons can be intimidating."
"Tell me about it." Megan muttered. She’d met all of the Garrison siblings when she and Stephen had dated, so she had an inkling. Then she thought about how hard a time she had handling just Stephen.
Anna searched her face. "So are you satisfied with your decision?"
"Thanks for dispensing with the word happy," she responded. They both knew this forced marriage was anything but a joyous occasion.
"You should give Stephen a chance. He might surprise you."
"It'll be difficult to surprise me. This time I won’t be shocked if I find another woman in his bed."
Stephen was still dancing with Jade, who was twirling around. It wasn't hard to see how they were related—the dark-haired little girl who was smiling and laughing, and the darkly gorgeous father who somehow managed to look comfortable dancing with an unpredictable partner.
"You shouldn't be such a cynic." Anna admonished.
Megan looked back at her. "It's precisely because I don't think he can be faithful that I made sure this would be a marriage in name only."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean—and this is confidential—we won't be sleeping together."
Anna's eyebrows shot up. "Stephen agreed?"
She recalled Stephen's challenges, then his gambit regarding making things look good for Jade. "He agreed to separate bedrooms."
Anna looked at her shrewdly. "Uh-huh."
Megan glanced over at the man who'd sent her life careening off course ever since he'd stepped into it four years ago. "I won’t lose my heart to him again," she said adamantly.

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 15-10-07, 08:20 AM   المشاركة رقم: 14
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Eight

He was Stephen decided, a masochist.
Looking at Megan in the wedding gown he'd picked out all he wanted to do was spirit her away to a place where they could get naked and find feverish deliverance.
His yacht would serve the purpose well. He kept it nearby, and it was somewhere he could relax and get away from it all. It’s satin-covered bed was his favorite place to make love, rocked by the soothing waves lapping the sides of the boat.
His body had been at a steady hum ever since he'd seen Megan start down the aisle. He hadn't been able to peel his eyes off her. Shed looked incredible in the simple but sexy gown he'd picked up for her at a high-end Miami boutique.
He was getting what he wanted, but he wanted her willing. Despite her attempt to make this a marriage of convenience, he planned to seduce her back into his bed—as the first step toward making them the family unit they should be.
He'd seen tears in her eyes during the ceremony, and had wondered whether they signaled sadness or happiness. When she was in his arms, he'd make sure she was beyond sadness or happiness. They'd just fit, as they had from the very beginning.
He absently twisted the ring on his finger.
"Still getting used to the feel? Don't worry, you will, faster than you can believe."
He turned at the sound of his brother's voice. "Hey, Parker."
"What are you thinking?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing is a lot when you're the groom, and it's your day." his brother commented.
Stephen watched Megan float among the guests. She stopped to speak with Conrad and his wife and accept congratulations.
"Be careful." Parker murmured, following the direction of his gaze. "At this rate, you'll be falling for her all over again, and she'll have you eating out of the palm of her hand."
"Not gonna happen."
He wanted Megan, but he was done with surprises coming out of left field. This time he was in control.
He scanned the guests, then gave his brother a lopsided smile. "I pulled this thing together in a week. I'm getting good at it. Think any of our other siblings wants a spur-of-the-moment wedding?"
Parker groaned. "Don't even think it. It's bad enough Brittany thinks she's getting hitched to a Jefferies."
"Speaking of which." Stephen responded, spying Brittany and her fiance Emilio Jefferies. "Looks like some guests are heading our way."
"Yeah Jefferies" Adam grated as he joined them from where he'd been standing a few feet away.
Parker turned in the direction of their gaze, and watched, too as their younger sister approached with the darker of the Jefferies brothers.
Stephen had gotten a chance to size the man up when Emilio had crashed Parker and Anna's wedding. Unlike his brother Emilio was dark haired and olive skinned, his green eyes a startling contrast to his complexion.
From an investigative report that Parker had ordered Stephen knew Emilio had been adopted. His mother had been the Jefferies nanny, and he'd been born in Cuba.
"Hola." Brittany said, smiling as she came toward them holding Emilio’s hand.
Emilio in contrast, looked as guarded as he and his brothers probably did. Stephen noted.
"We just wanted to say congratulations. Stephen." She stepped forward and brushed his cheek with a quick kiss.
"Thanks kiddo." Then he looked up and said in acknowledgment. "Jefferies."
Emilio held out his hand. "Congratulations."
It was a bold move, and after a split second, he reached out to grasp Emilio’s hand. "Thanks."
He and his brothers had their suspicions, but while signs pointed to corporate espionage by the Jefferieses, they'd yet to uncover the trail and more importantly, find the culprit.
In the meantime, it was clear Emilio was devoted to Brittany, and Stephen figured that had to count for something—at least for a cool but civilized exchange of pleasantries at a wedding. And if there was one thing he'd learned in the corporate world, it was never to let the competition see you sweat.
Parker looked narrow-eyed. "Good to see you, Jefferies."
Adam nodded his head in acknowledgment.
Brittany beamed, and Parker caught the look.
"It's easy to be charitable when this is one wedding Emilio isn't crashing." Parker said to his sister wryly.
Adam coughed to hide a laugh, and. if he wasn't mistaken Stephen thought, a glint of humor appeared in Emilio Jefferies's eyes.
As he turned to say something more to Brittany, however, he spotted one of his hotel employees wheeling in the table with the wedding cake.
He grasped his brothers' arms, and nodded at his sister and Emilio. "You'll excuse me. Business—of the pleasant variety—calls."
She’d visited Stephen's private estate near South Beach four years ago, but this time around it was home—and Megan found herself adjusting to the idea.
She and Stephen had agreed shed give up the lease on the cute little house in Coral Gables and move into his four-bedroom Spanish Mission-style home. She knew the grounds of the estate included a pool, while the house itself had a gym and a home theater.
Even a little girl as active and rambunctious as Jade would have a hard time making a dent in such a place.
Megan consoled herself with that thought now as she prepared to get out of her wedding gown and get ready for bed in the bedroom next to Stephens.
Her room and Stephens were separated only by a connecting bathroom, and Stephen had explained that while his bedroom was the master suite, hers had been set up as a baby's room by the houses previous owners. Since Jade was occupying the third bedroom, which was ideally configured for use as a child's room, and the fourth was being used by Stephen as a guest bedroom upstairs office, there was no place else for her to stay.
She sighed now as she looked around the room, toying with the bouquet she’d held earlier in the day as shed walked down the aisle.
The room was outfitted with Spanish colonial-style furniture, in keeping with the houses architecture. Rich, sturdy wood furniture contrasted with white walls and wrought-iron accent pieces.
Four years ago when shed spent nights at Stephens estate, she’d imagined this room one day being used as a nursery for their child. Now Jade was already past the need for a nursery, and she and Stephen wouldn't have any more children.
The thought inexplicably depressed her, just as the entire day had been an emotional maelstrom for her.
After the wedding reception, she and Stephen had headed back to his estate and put a very tired Jade to bed. Jade had promptly fallen asleep in her new bedroom, down the hall from hers and Stephens.
There hadn't been time to move all their possessions from the Coral Gables house to Stephens place before the wedding, but since shed already paid the current months rent, she knew she had some time to move out though she’d given notice shed be giving up the lease.
With any luck Jade would settle right into their new routine. She’d still drop Jade off at preschool, and Tiffany would pick her up and babysit until Megan or Stephen got home from work.
Her thoughts were interrupted by Stephen’s appearance in the open doorway of the connecting bathroom.
His eyes were shadowed in the low lighting afforded by her bedside lamp, and though she couldn't read his expression, her breath caught.
His tie hung loose around his neck. "Need some help?" he asked.
She dropped the bouquet of roses onto the bed. "Even if I did. asking you would be like asking a wolf to shepherd a lamb."
He flashed a smile and sauntered into the room. "Are you a lamb?" he murmured. "You're dressed in white...but not devoid of sin from what I recall."
She tossed her hair, and moved to the bureau to remove her watch and earrings. "Spoken like a true scholar of the subject."
He laughed. "That's my girl."
"What do you want, Stephen?"
"In a word, you."
A tremor went through her at his words, despite her best attempts to steel herself against him. "Do I already need to remind you this is a marriage in name only?"
‘I’m a patient man. I'm willing to wait for the pleasure of seeing you in that lingerie I sent you earlier in the week."
He moved up behind her and his hands clasped her shoulders. She stared at their image in the mirror in front of her.
She could feel the imprint of his body behind her the male heat emanating from him and branding her. She picked up his masculine scent, one she recognized from four years ago and one which predictably awakened her senses.
He bent his head to nuzzle her neck, and her body reacted to remembered passion, as well as the image of the two of them together in the mirror.
His dark good looks were a perfect foil for her red hair and pale creamy skin.
His hands stroked up and down her arms, his mouth caressing the curve of her neck, then the shell of her ear...and the wisps of hair at her temple. Always teasing her.
Her nipples hardened, thrusting against the fabric of her gown.
She felt herself succumbing to him with mind-numbing ease, pulled under by a seductive undertow.
She turned in his arms, breaking free and intent on telling him off but his mouth claimed hers before she could speak.
His lips moved over hers, taking control of the kiss, slipping past her barriers to touch her tongue with his and invite her to duel with him. Mate with him.
Her defenses came crashing down as the past stormed back to greet them in all its passion and unfettered need.
His mouth moved over hers with greater urgency, and his hands roamed her back, bringing her closer to the flame of his desire.
She felt his erection press against her.
Sexual need ate at her. It was even hotter than before. Even hotter than she remembered.
She felt his hand at her back, tugging the zipper of her gown downward.
With a last desperate effort, she pulled her mouth from his and pushed away from him.
He took deep breaths, his eyes dilated from arousal.
Her breaths matched his and she ached all over. Especially in her heart.
She hugged the sagging bodice of her dress to her.
He reached for her again, and she took a step back.
"You can’t deny we both want it." he said in a quiet voice.
She raised her chin. ‘I’m wise enough to know now that wanting doesn't mean having"
They locked eyes, and she watched his expression shutter.
"One of these days, you're going to realize you're not the only one who's changed in the past four years," he said evenly.
They both stood there for a moment, not moving, before he strode out of the room.
She watched him leave, fighting to slow her pulse. Then she turned toward the vanity table to pick up her brush—and the broken pieces of her shattered four-year-old control.
Stephen arrived home on Monday to relieve the babysitter. He and Megan had decided to try out staggering their workdays as much as possible so that one of them would almost always be with Jade and they'd use their babysitter only to fill in small gaps.
"Hi. Stephen." Tiffany said, giving him a bright smile.
The sitter couldn't be more than twenty-two or twenty-three, he'd concluded when he'd first met her. Today, she wore hip-hugging denim shorts and a sleeveless tee with the words Baby Phat in rhinestones across the chest. Her straight blond hair was pulled back in a ponytail.
He was familiar with Tiffany's type. Women like her roamed at the periphery of his world—through the Garrison Grand's celebrity-hosted events, and at hot spots like his brother's nightclub Estate.
"Hey." he said in acknowledgment. "Everything go okay today?"
Tiffany nodded, looking a little tongue-tied, and Stephen recognized the reaction. In some ways he was even used to it.
He wasn't a movie star or rock sensation, but with his looks and wealth, he d inspired reactions ranging from no-holds-barred come-ons to stolen glances and coy smiles. As the owner of the Garrison Grand, he was considered the epitome of cool—as much as it amused him sometimes.
Like everyone else. Tiffany had reacted with surprise when he and Megan had announced they were getting married. Still, she seemed to accept the explanation Megan had given—that the two of them had realized when they'd reencountered each other that they wanted to be together.
If Tiffany had caught on that he and Megan had begun their marriage sleeping in separate beds, she hadn't said anything. And frankly Tiffany's presence was another reason he'd put Megan in the room next to his—aside from the obvious one of wanting Megan close by. He didn't want the babysitter to be the source of idle gossip. There'd been enough speculation out there among the public and the press about his lifestyle.
He loosened his tie just as Jade bounded into the room, holding what he'd come to know was her Baby Alive doll.
"Hello, gorgeous." He crouched and opened his arms, and Jade threw herself into them.
He'd recently been instructed by his daughter, in a very important voice, about all the cool characteristics of Baby Alive.
He seemed to recall Brittany and Brooke having a similar doll when they were little—one that, as a prank, he'd put in the pool to see if it could swim—so the toy apparently had staying power. Go figure.
He also decided it was best if he didn't mention that particular prank to Jade—though his sisters might rat him out at some point. Old stunts like that could tarnish his budding reputation as a great dad.
After a moment Jade pulled back from his embrace. "Hi." she said, somewhat shyly.
He noticed that, despite her initial exuberance Jade seemed to be hesitant.
One step forward, two steps back, he thought. But he was in this for the long haul.
After Tiffany left, he and Jade played with some puzzles and simple board games in the den until Megan arrived home.
They went out to greet her in the foyer.
One look at Megan, and his body tightened, the way it always did around her.
A short brown skirt showed off her spectacular legs, which were accentuated by stone-embellished spike-heeled sandals. She was wearing a short-sleeved blouse with a tropical print and gold chandelier earrings.
"Mommy!"
"Hi sweetie." Megan's eyes traveled from Jade to him a question in her eyes. "How are you doing?"
"We were just playing board games." he supplied. Games a lot simpler than the one he and Megan were playing.
He reached out to take her upper arm and swept Megan's lips with a kiss. Jade, he noticed, absorbed it all with interest.
"Come on." he said to both of them. "I grill some mean steaks."
"Hamburger." Jade responded.
He feigned a long-suffering sigh. "All right, hamburger for you." He touched her nose. "But only because I feel like playing short-order cook tonight."
"What's a short-order cook?" Jade asked.
He slanted her a look. "Anyone cooking for someone who can barely reach the light switch."
Jade giggled.
He guided the little girl forward with his hand on her shoulder. "Come on. I'll explain."
"I’ll join you as soon as I change." Megan said from behind them.
He turned back to her quirking a brow. "Need some help?"
The air crackled with energy.
"No thank you." she said, looking at him disapprovingly.
He flashed her a wicked smile. "Your choice."
"Yes."
"But I'm hoping to win the lottery one of these days."
She gave him a quelling look before heading for the stairs.
Later, they wound up having dinner on the patio, where they were able to watch the lowering sun. He grilled on his outdoor range, and Jade got her wish when he served up a Cuban-style burger seasoned with chorizo.
Jades questions and requests peppered the dinner conversation, and Stephen realized this was what he should expect from now on.
They were a little family, the three of them, he thought, and it felt good. More than good.
It should have taken him longer to adjust from being a practiced playboy with honed predatory skills to protective father and husband. But instead it felt like coming home.
After dinner, he and Megan sat back and watched Jade explore and play on the patio.
"You're good with her." she remarked.
He leaned back farther in his chair. "She seemed a little hesitant when I came home today, though."
"That's natural."
He looked over at Jade. "Yeah, but I'm wondering whether something more is going on."
When Jade eventually came back over to join them Megan leaned toward her. "Did you have a good day today, sweetie?"
Jade nodded, hopping back into her chair and taking a drink from her cup.
"Did you have fun at preschool?"
"Yes."
"Did something happen at school?" Megan prompted some more.
This time Jade looked at him from the corner of her eyes.
"Jade?"
Jade looked down at her now-empty plate, and said in a rush. "I told Emily I had a daddy because you got married. She said no. I had a stepfather."
Oh, damn, Stephen thought.
He looked at Megan. It seemed as though their conversation with Jade was upon them faster than they'd anticipated.
Megan opened her mouth, but Stephen silenced her with a look.
"Jade. I am your daddy." he explained gently. "I was away for a little while, but I'm here now and will love you forever."
Jade looked up at him such hopefulness in her eyes, it almost killed him.
"Do you understand?" he asked.
The little girl nodded. "Uh-huh."
"And even if I was your stepfather I wouldn't love you any less."
Jade blinked, then blurted. "Can I call you Daddy?"
His heart did a weird twist.
"Of course." he said, his voice coming out unexpectedly hoarse.
"You'll never know how much I regret not being around when you were a baby," he said.
Jade got down from her chair and threw her arms around him.
His eyes met Megan's over Jade's dark head, and he thought he saw a sheen of tears in them.

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 15-10-07, 08:40 AM   المشاركة رقم: 15
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Nine

On Saturday Stephen took them out on his yacht, a sixty-foot Sea Ray.
Jade had pleaded to see the boat, and though Megan had her suspicions about how her daughter had gotten the idea in her head, she gave in.
Stephen had been so good with Jade this past week. The three of them had even toured the Garrison Grand early one evening, seeing the suite that Stephen kept there for his—now their—personal use. She couldn't deny him or her daughter the fun of an outing on Biscayne Bay.
From what she remembered, the yacht, named Wishful Thinking, was Stephen's prized possession. The two of them had spent many carefree hours on it making love and just relaxing and enjoying each other...until shed discovered she wasn't the only woman he'd been entertaining aboard.
Now as she stood in the stateroom, running a brush through her hair near a small mirror, she pushed the uncomfortable thought aside.
Stephen had killed the engine and dropped anchor so that the boat bobbed in the water.
After she and Stephen had taken turns diving and swimming off the side of the boat, they'd had lunch. Then Jade—worn out by the excitement of being on a yacht for the first time—had lain down for a nap.
Her daughter was asleep now on the bunk in the guest stateroom, so there was no innocent little girl around to run interference between her and Stephen. Megan sought to quell the nervousness that seized her.
As if conjured by her thoughts Stephen appeared. He looked relaxed, fit and tanned in swim trunks and a short-sleeved navy T-shirt he'd donned after his swim.
"Hey. there." he said, resting his hand on the top of the door frame.
"Hi." She hated that he looked so at ease when she was a bundle of nerves. Shed intentionally put on a short skirt over her halter-top emerald bathing suit, but she still felt exposed.
It didn't help she'd seen amusement in the depths of Stephen's eyes when she'd done so as if he saw right through her maneuver.
Now as he looked her up and down, her body hummed in reaction. She prayed her nipples wouldn't harden, betraying her even more.
Despite the ease with which he'd assumed a fatherly role in Jades life, she had to remember he was a rat and their relationship was all business, including this marriage.
"What are you doing?" he asked.
"Trying to get some knots out of my hair." Her hair had dried from her dip in the water earlier, but despite having had it in a ponytail it had gotten tangled by the wind and water.
He continued to watch her with the same searing gaze he'd had when shed stripped down to her bathing suit earlier.
"Jade want’s to learn how to swim." she blurted.
His lips curved in the lopsided smile that never failed to send heat shooting through her. "I want to teach her. If she’d grown up here, near the water, she might already know how."
Surprisingly, she couldn't detect a hint of reproach in his voice. "She'd love to learn."
He stepped forward. "Here, let me help you."
She lowered the hand with the brush to her side.
"What?" she asked, though shed heard him perfectly well. Her mind had just stopped at the image of Stephen touching her hair.
He grasped her wrist and gently removed the brush from her nerveless fingers. Then he stepped behind her and she felt the movement of thick bristles from her scalp to the curling edges of her wavy hair.
She also felt his presence as he shifted against her—saw it in the small mirror in front of her—and her pulse picked up.
His skin gave off the scent of fresh air salty water and sunscreen—and healthy male sweat.
They stood in silence. He lifted first one lock of hair, then another, pulling the brush through from root to tip.
She felt the air around her grow hot and heavy, until she had to concentrate on keeping her breathing even.
"Just like a mermaid." he murmured, arranging one curling edge over her shoulder before lifting another section of hair.
"No fins." she said automatically, and couldn't believe how breathless she sounded.
He chuckled, then sobered.
"I've been thinking about your accusation, and I've done some research." he said. "I looked back over my business diary from four years ago to try to ******* my memory about the night you were talking about."
She stiffened. ‘I’m surprised you didn't attempt hypnosis."
He laughed shortly before going on. "We hosted a party that night for an up-and-coming British rock group, and there were plenty of celebrity hangers-on involved. The woman you saw that night was there on a lark. She must have followed me back from the Garrison Grand, or gotten a tip from someone there that I owned a yacht."
"I wonder how she could have gotten the impression you were open to a brief encounter." she remarked acerbically.
He didn't react, apparently refusing to be baited by her sarcasm. "I admit I had a reputation as a player, and since you weren't around that night, someone thought I was fair game."
"I bet." she said unbendingly.
"But I did not sleep with that bottle blonde." he continued inexorably. "She sneaked aboard, but I sent her packing the second it became clear why she was there."
"How do you explain the fact she was still straightening her clothing when I saw her?" Megan asked. She didn't want to give him a chance to clarify things, but curiosity got the better of her.
In the mirror, she saw Stephens lips twist. “I’m betting she saw you coming—maybe even recognized you—and decided to put on a show out of spite."
She finally felt herself relax a little at his words, despite her best intentions.
"You already think I'm a cheater." he said, as if reading her mind. “I’m not about to compound my problems by becoming a liar, too."
"How do I know you won’t cheat now?" she asked, her eyes meeting his in the mirror. "You're still the head of the Garrison Grand and—" she gestured around her"—you've still got this yacht. Women will want to come on to you."
He showed her the hand with his wedding ring. "This is your insurance."
She looked at his plain platinum band. "A wedding ring isn't considered an obstacle by some women."
"I just admitted that at the time you met me I had a reputation—"
She raised her eyebrows. "Really? The fact that you had to jog your memory speaks volumes." Though her words were sharp, it was getting hard to maintain her edge when he was practically giving her a scalp massage. "You couldn't even remember the woman who showed up that night."
"But I could never forget you." he said against her temple. "That's why I turned her away."
She felt his words with shattering force. Her walls where he was concerned—never sturdy to begin with—crumbled some more.
"I want to make love." he stated, and her insides turned to mush.
"That's not a good idea." she managed to say through a constricted throat.
"On the contrary." he responded, tossing the brush aside. "I think it's the best idea I've had in a long time."
He spun her around to face him and her hands fell against his chest.
He dipped his head, and his mouth plundered hers.
Tongues touched and lips moved, shifted, caressed, and just like that, the dam burst.
She moaned low in her throat.
His fingers delved into her hair, undoing his handiwork as he pulled her head back. His mouth skimmed along the side of her neck.
"I want you so damn much," he muttered.
Her hands moved to grip his shoulders, anchoring herself in a world gone topsy-turvy.
When his mouth met the obstacle of her bathing suit, his fingers went to the clasp of the halter top and released the bonds that kept her from him. Her breasts spilled forward, and his hands came up to palm and stroke them, rubbing folds of nylon across sensitized nipples.
The force of their desire came roaring to life, the way it always had.
They couldn't get enough of each other. Mouth fused to mouth, and his hands shot down, skimming under her skirt to grasp her buttocks and bring her flush against him to feel the strength of his need.
The past had been a glorious ride before she’d been thrown, but it had brought her Jade, and now suddenly she wanted to reach out again with both hands to grasp the sunshine, feeling reckless—no. feeling like a gambler.
She felt the strong beat of his heart and felt the thrilling excitement of wanting to be joined with him.
Her skirt hit the floor, and their hands roamed with increasing urgency. Her fingers stroked and delved, retracing every luscious inch of him that had been imprinted on her memory.
During the years they'd been apart, she’d still dreamed about him—fantasized about him. It hadn't mattered that she’d thought he was a cheat. Her heart at night was free to roam where her mind would not allow itself to go when she was awake.
Now he pulled away from her and yanked his shirt over his head, exposing a chest shed itched to touch ever since he'd stripped down to his bathing trunks for their swim earlier.
Her fingers danced over defined muscle, until she gave in to the urge to place openmouthed kisses where her hands had just been. His skin tasted warm. salty and sun-kissed.
With an oath of frustration, he bent and pulled down his swim trunks.
His impressive erection sprang free, exciting her even more.
She quivered, her body tightening—a reaction that echoed those shed felt whenever they were together.
"I've got to have you." he said, and her senses ran riot.
He hooked his thumbs under the fabric of her swimsuit and pulled it off her.
His mouth came down to ravage hers. After a moment, he hooked his foot behind her ankle, sliding her leg forward and throwing her off balance so they both tumbled onto the bed next to them.
He feasted on her breasts, then found all her pleasure points: the hollow behind her ear...the curve of her breast...her inner thigh...her instep. All the while she did a slow slide to mindless desire.
And still he played with her.
He was a master at bringing her vibrantly to life.
She raked her hands down his back as he kissed her hip bone, then the indentation it formed.
When he touched her welcoming wetness with his hand, she sucked in a breath, tensing.
"Relax." he murmured.
How could she relax when she could hear the dark intent in his voice? She could feel his breath against her and her pulse accelerated.
The first touch of his mouth sent waves of sensation surging through her.
"Stephen."
He growled against her damp heat, then delved in to pleasure her with his mouth.
She turned her head toward the mattress, her hands grasping the sheets.
She moaned, sighed and careened toward release. Within moments, she trembled against him before sinking back against the mattress, weak and fulfilled.
Seconds later, she watched as he moved up next to her and looked over at a nearby drawer. "Damn it. I just realized I don't have any protection."
"I haven't been with anyone since our affair." She was desperate for him. therwise she’ never have been so direct. Her body was still wet and wanting.
He looked at her questioningly then his eyes kindled.
"With a small child, there hasn't been time for anything." she explained.
‘I’ealthy." he said.
She nodded.
"But you could get pregnant." he went on holding her gaze.
Her heart flipped. "Or not. It’ the wrong time of the month."
The truth was there were times when shed been sad that Jade might not have any siblings. Shed fore-closed other possibilities when she’ married Stephen. Why not take this? her heart whispered.
"We are married." he said, his erection resting against her. "This time it’s you and me in it together, either way."
"We've already made that bargain." she responded in a low voice, though she knew another child hadn't factored into their arrangement.
Her green light was the last encouragement he needed.
His mouth claimed hers, and with his lead, their need for each other was stoked to a blistering height once more.
When he finally sank into her she expelled a breath on a long sigh.
"I know baby." he murmured, soothing her. "Let me give you what you want—what we both need."
She caught his rhythm as effortlessly as she always had. It was a dance they'd always performed well, moving with primal instinct.
He thrust, sending her higher and higher. She clung to him. moaning, reaching, and leaving herself open to feeling.
Then, just when she thought the tension couldn't build up anymore, the coil within her released, and she shattered.
She felt him strain back, thrust one final time, and with a guttural groan, climax after her.
"Everyone, this is Jade." Stephen said, his hand resting on his daughters shoulder.
Stephen’s siblings stepped forward in turn to greet Jade. Megan wet her lips nervously.
All the Garrisons had gathered, including Parker and Anna. Anna had said she’d show up to give moral support, and now Megan was glad for it.
Though Stephen’s family had seen Jade at the wedding, this Sunday-night dinner at the Garrison estate would be their first opportunity to really interact with her.
This was also her own very first visit to the Bal Harbour estate. Megan reflected. She’d never stepped inside Stephen’s parents’ mansion during their fling, but she was here now as his wife and the mother of their child.
She let her gaze travel over her surroundings with a designers practiced eye. The foyer was designed to impress—intimidate even—as was the entire estate.
The double-height foyer was dominated by an immense stone fireplace, before which were arranged various armchairs and sofas. Thick stone Corinthian columns supported graceful archways. To one side, a wide stone staircase led to a second level, where a gallery, bracketed by more stone columns, ran around the perimeter of the room and gave a glimpse of the rooms on the upper level.
Four years ago she’d met all the Garrison siblings at one event or another. Parker, of course, she’d worked for and she and Stephen had partied at Adams nightclub, where shed also met the twins. Brittany and Brooke.
She wished, however, that she’d also met Stephen’s mother back then. The matriarch of the clan had greeted her stiffly at the wedding and now held back, surveying the scene.
When all of Stephen’s siblings had stopped fussing over Jade. Stephen’s mother looked down at her granddaughter.
"Come here, little girl." Bonita said, and after a slight hesitation. Jade stepped forward.
Megan could feel Stephen tense beside her.
She’d dressed Jade in a sleeveless emerald-green dress, tying her daughters hair back with a ribbon. She’d wanted Jade to make the best impression possible. She could deal with rejection for herself, but she wanted Jade to be accepted—embraced even—by the Garrisons.
So far to her relief, all of Stephens siblings had reacted warmly, surpassing expectations that shed tried to keep in check so as not to be disappointed.
Now though, she held her breath as Bonita grasped Jades chin and tilted her face up so she could examine the little girls face.
Seconds ticked by and Megan felt as if everyone else in the room was holding their breath right along with her.
"There's no mistaking the fact you're a Garrison." Bonita stated finally. "The image of your father, in fact."
Though there was no visible softening of Bonita's features, everyone seemed to relax slightly. The lack of censure in Bonita's voice made it likely this evening at least might pass without incident.
"I'm your grandmother." Bonita said. "You may call me Grandmother."
Bonita dropped her hand, and Jade nodded, wide-eyed.
Megan's shoulders lowered. Stephen had filled her in on the fact that Bonita had a drinking problem that had become exacerbated recently. She'd stated that his mother could prove difficult about accepting what were, in her view, a mistress and out-of-wedlock child into the family.
Yet it seemed Bonita's affection for her son had won the day and Megan felt her tension ebb some more.
As people began to mingle and talk, waiting for dinner to be served in the dining room Stephen moved away to speak with Adam, and Brittany approached her.
Stephen’s sister squeezed her arm. ‘I’m so happy for you and Stephen."
Megan put a smile on her face. "Thanks, and likewise for you and Emilio." She looked over Brittany's shoulder. "Where is he by the way?"
Brittany laughed. "Busy with El Diablo."
Megan nodded. "He must work hard. That restaurant has gotten great reviews for its food and ambience."
Brittany leaned in. "Between you and me I think it’s just as well he isn't here. We’re still easing our way with the family."
"Tell me about it." she responded ruefully. "I was nervous about coming tonight. Everyone had to be on their best behavior for the wedding, but tonight is a different matter."
"You're doing great." Brittany said then looked across the room at Stephen. "You know. I suspected Stephen was carrying a torch for you after your breakup."
Megan felt a flutter, but then reminded herself that Brittany was hardly an impartial party.
"Not our playboy action hero." she said glibly.
"He matured, too." Brittany insisted. "Since you left, he built up the Garrison Grand even more. I think he poured himself into it and in the process, he took a good hotel and made it great."
"I can’t disagree there." Megan murmured, looking across the room now. Stephen had studied her plans for the hotels conference and business center and made some modifications to make the renovation even more state-of-the-art. She had to admit he knew his stuff.
"My only concern was that he was becoming just a little too focused and ruthless." Brittany went on turning to look at her again. "Now that he's married, I can stop worrying."
If only Brittany knew the half of it. Megan thought.
Of course Brittany wanted to believe she and Stephen had found a happily-ever-after—she was in love herself. From what Stephen had told her before the wedding. Megan knew Brittany was newly engaged to Emilio Jefferies and planning a splashy wedding.
But she also knew her own situation was far different. Stephen’s ruthlessness hadn't ebbed a bit and she and Stephen had married for convenience.
She almost blurted out the latter to Brittany, but she *******ed herself with saying. "Jade’s certainly had an effect on him."
After Stephen’s sister had moved off to speak with her twin. Megan found herself mulling over the weekends events.
Yesterday, when they'd gotten home from their outing on the yacht and put Jade to bed she’d fallen asleep herself atop her own bed. After changing into her sleep tee she’d meant to lie down only for a few minutes before doing some work-related reading. Instead, in the morning, she’d woken up under some blankets. She’d realized Stephen must have come in at some point and covered her up and a wave of awareness had washed over her despite her best efforts.
Then today, she and Stephen had both been so busy with Jade, there’d been no time to talk. In many ways, though, shed been grateful for the distraction.
True, yesterday the sex between her and Stephen had been fantastic. Their unbridled need had proven to her once again that, where Stephen Garrison was concerned, she had no self-control.
Yet though she believed Stephen’s explanation of what had happened—or rather, what had not happened—that night four years ago on his boat, she wasn't sure what they had between them now was more than just good sex.
Yes, he wanted her back in his life, but it was because he thought the two of them should raise Jade together. He wanted to be fully involved in his daughter’s life, and the only way to do that was to include Jades mother in a package deal.
Undeniably, on the yacht yesterday, she’d had a moment of recklessness that might have made her pregnant again—though the possibility was unlikely. At least this time, though, she was married and had already committed to raising one child with Stephen.
But she knew better than to risk her heart again. Stephen had never said he loved her and given the long line of women in his life—despite Brittany's claim about his newfound maturity—she doubted he ever would. She might be the most memorable in his long line of conquests, but he'd given her no reason to believe she’d ever been more.
Still, because she’d rejected him four years ago he saw her as a sexual challenge now. She belatedly realized she’d all but waved the red flag in front of him when she’d announced she wouldn't sleep with him.
Stephen had a strong sex drive, and she was his wife. If no longer in name only, she reminded herself, still just out of convenience.

عرض البوم صور nargis  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة