مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : nargis المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Chapter Two

Megan stepped past the liveried doorman and into the cool lobby of the Garrison Grand.
The change was a welcome despite from the heat outside. She’d dressed for the hot weather in a lime-green sheath dress with a short matching jacket, her feet encased in strappy sandals.
A couple of men sent appreciative looks her way.
She knew that as a tall redhead in heels, she was hard to overlook—even if she wore her hair tied back and constrained, as it was today.
What she wasn't used to she thought, as she looked around at the hotel guests in the lobby, was the cool sophistication of Stephen’s world.
Shed almost forgotten what this world was like, having spent the past few years variously wiping baby food off her shirt, reading nursery rhymes and teaching Jade how to use the potty.
Now though, as she surveyed the women with lithe tanned bodies dressed in halter tops or less, and the men projecting a chic style in khakis and designer shirts, she knew she had to gird herself for today’s meeting.
Glancing to her left, she noticed Stephen walking toward her from across the lobby.
She watched as he was waylaid by an employee, then as his progress was halted again by someone who appeared to be a familiar hotel guest.
When he finally approached, she said. "I thought I was meeting one of your executives."
"Change of plans." he said, cupping her elbow and gently steering her with a subtle pressure.
He slanted her a look. "That is unless you mind it’s me."
"No." she responded automatically. Since she had been the one to call their relationship strictly professional, she had no choice but to stick to the script. "Of course I don't care."
Of course I care. Just being in the same room with him was enough to make her tense and jittery.
As it was little shock waves coursed through her from the casual contact of his hand at her elbow.
They walked across the majestic soaring lobby toward the elevators. One end of the lobby led to the street, and the other end with columns alternating with billowing white curtains, opened onto the Garrison Grand’s private beach. The smell of surf and sand wafted in.
She hadn't been able to stop herself over the years from reading the occasional news article about Stephen and the Garrison Grand. The hotel had kept a fantastic reputation while she and Stephen had been dating, but it had surpassed itself since then, becoming the ‘it place’ for the rich and famous who flocked to South Beach.
Walking through the lobby now she could understand why. Stephen seemed to keep everything new and cutting edge.
‘I’m looking to redesign some of the meeting rooms on the second floor." Stephen said. "Then we can talk about other changes—what else needs to be revamped and updated."
His deep voice buffeted her like the warm jets of a hot tub.
This is not going to work, she thought. How could she stand to work with him when she couldn't even think straight?
Yet she had no choice. After Stephen had left her office yesterday, she’d gone to see Conrad. The meeting had confirmed everything Stephen had said: everyone else in the office was too busy with other projects to be the lead person on the Garrison Grand, and they were looking to her to be a team player.
Now as Stephen called the elevator and they rode up together, she felt the air between them fairly crackle with tension.
When they stepped out on the second floor, they walked down a hallway with recessed lighting along either side of its carpeted floor.
He gave her a quick tour of the business center and various conference rooms. They ended up at the end of the hall, where Stephen opened a set of double doors and ushered her inside the last empty conference room.
As she walked past him she was careful not to brush against him. She didn't think she could stand it.
This conference room contained a long, rectangular, glass-topped table that looked as if it could seat twenty. Like the others, the decor was modern, with high-backed office chairs and all the proper business amenities: phones, a flat-screen television with a DVD player, and a projection screen that appeared as if it was normally hidden behind a wooden wall panel.
"I find it hard to believe." she observed after looking around and turning back to Stephen, "that anyone can work in paradise’s playground."
It was a thought that had increasingly hit her during their brief tour.
A smile slashed across Stephens face. "I do." he said, then added drily. “That's why you can’t see the beach from this room or the others."
She walked farther into the room, trailing her fingertips along the top of the table before setting her purse down, putting together the thoughts and ideas that had been formulating since the beginning of their tour.
He watched her.
"Very modern." she mused.
"Very." he agreed, "but I'm not looking for merely modern. I want different—unique—and that means changing to stay ahead of our competitors."
She turned to face him. "Are you thinking of the Hotel Victoria?"
"Just back in town, and you've heard of it already." he quipped.
She lifted her shoulders. ‘I’m an interior designer. Of course I'm interested in news of a hotel opening."
"Well, don't be too impressed." he advised. "Jordan Jefferies is an imitator, not an innovator, and I'm more than ready for a fight."
Stephen's comments reminded her of everything she knew about him from four years ago. He was still strong-willed, powerful and competitive.
Seeking to change the direction of the conversation, she said. "The conference rooms are different from the rest of the hotel. They don't have the same white theme—"
His lips quirked. "We were looking for something a little more professional for the business rooms. White is the ultimate indulgence."
"Decadent luxury." she agreed.
It was what his celebrity guests came for. She could only imagine what his cleaning bill amounted to for the hotel. She knew most of the guest rooms were decorated in white, with splashes of color lent mostly by fresh flowers and marble accents.
But then again, given the room rate at the Garrison Grand, she could well imagine Stephen seeing healthy profits.
She thought about the suite at the hotel that Stephen kept for his personal use. It had also been done in white, she recollected. But unlike the other suites in the hotel, the room rate there had been a night of passion in Stephens bed.
She felt herself heat at the thought.
"What are you thinking?" he said, and she jumped.
"I was just mulling the possibilities." she said quickly, trying to cover her lapse. It occurred to me to do a takeoff on the decor in the rest of the hotel. White and dark blue. White leather, midnight-blue velvet. Different textures, different fabrics."
She spoke rapidly, sketching her idea for him the thoughts spilling from her. "White to echo the calming relaxation of the rest of the hotel, midnight-blue for business. Navy is a business color, but we'll subtly undermine it by casting it in sinful velvet and giving it a unique hue."
His long-ago familiar lopsided smile appeared. "Tell me more."
It was easy to think sinful in his presence, she wanted to tell him.
Her heart beat rapidly.
There was a time, four years ago when they'd been so hot for each other, they'd have abandoned their business meeting to sneak away upstairs and have frantic sex in his hotel suite, kissing and holding hands in the elevator as soon as the doors closed.
Or he'd have locked the door, and taken her right here.
Not anymore.
And she shouldn't be having such lascivious thoughts about a client, she reminded herself. Particularly him. She was mommy material now.
She glanced around. "We'll replace the wood paneling with sound-soak material to help with the acoustics and lighting. It comes in an off-white color, but with a suede finish, so it'll blend with the decor."
He smiled. "Sounds good."
"It'll sound even better when I've had time to draw up plans." she responded as she walked back toward him. "We'll need to move the business center, too. It should be convenient but less obtrusive. Right now from what I saw it has too much glass, in my opinion."
"I'm liking it even more." he replied.
"Aren't you lucky, then, that you got me before Jordan Jefferies did?" she joked, then could have bitten off her tongue as Stephens eyes darkened.
She watched as his gaze traveled over her. “Yeah. I got you." he drawled before he met her gaze. "The question is when will I have you again?"
Her stomach flipped. "Never."
"Never is a long time, sweetheart."
"I thought we agreed to keep this relationship strictly professional."
"We did?" he murmured.
"That would put sexual innuendo on the wrong side of the line." she informed him.
"How about dinner?" he asked, his voice flippant even as his look heated her all over. "Would having dinner together be on the wrong side of the line?"
"Mo—" She stopped to clear the catch in her throat. "Most definitely."
"Too bad," he murmured.
Yes, too bad. Then she caught herself.
No, not too bad. He was a lying, cheating vermin, and she’d be three kinds of fool to fall under the spell of his seductive charm—again. What was wrong with her?
He looked at her hair. ''Why is your hair up?"
"It's hot."
Outside, it’s hot outside. But she felt as if she was burning up right in here.
Before she could stop him he reached up, and with an efficient move, released the barrette holding her hair in place.
A cascade of dark red hair followed.
"Much better." he remarked. "I always liked it better down."
"Stop it." She didn't know whom she was angrier with, him for putting the moves on her or herself for her breathless reaction.
"It was good four years ago." he stated.
"Yes, and it’s over now."
"Easily rectified. Have dinner with me."
Stephen being Stephen, it was more a command than a request.
"I can’t. I need to go—"
She clamped her mouth shut. He'd gotten her so discombobuiated. She’d almost said she had to go relieve the babysitter. It was an excuse that came effortlessly to her lips. Shed grown accustomed to using it over the past three years.
"You have to go what?" he asked.
"Nothing." she responded. "When I have something down on paper for this project. I’ll call you."
Then she grabbed her purse and brushed past him in her haste to get out of the room.
Stephen stood looking out his office window, his suit jacket hanging open and bunched above the hands shoved in his pockets. He had a rare moment for calm introspection.
He'd come on strong with Megan earlier. Maybe too strong, he admitted to himself now.
Shed reacted like a deer caught in headlights. It was far different from the way shed reacted to his pursuit four years ago. Then she’d flatly refused to go out with him but the unaccustomed taste of rejection had simply spiked his interest.
He'd made up reasons to show up at Garrison Inc headquarters, even recruiting Parker so he would know when Megan was due to show up there.
He'd engaged her in casual conversation, and eventually discovered they'd both been captains of their high school swim teams and they were both football fans, though she followed her hometown Indianapolis Colts while he was a Miami Dolphins fan.
More importantly, he'd liked the fact she was ambitious without taking herself too seriously. It was something he could relate to.
He'd discovered she'd left her home in Indiana and come down to Florida because of the career opportunities in the interior design field. She dealt with the aesthetics of workplace and hospitality environments, while his aim was to make his hotel the premier accommodation in Miami by focusing on cutting-edge design.
To his chagrin, he'd also discovered his reputation as a player had preceded him and Megan was understandably wary.
"Why won't you go out with me?" he'd asked her one day. bestowing one of his trademark killer smiles. He’d found from experience that the direct approach often worked best. "It’s been rumored I'm actually a reasonable dinner partner, decent arm candy and even a fairly good kisser."
Her lips had twitched. "Yes and that's not all apparently. I know about your reputation."
"Rumors of my prowess have been exaggerated." he parried, not averse to shamelessly self-serving comments.
She laughed. "Can I quote you? It’s rare to hear a guy like you argue for once that his image has outstripped the reality. Still. I noticed you didn't say greatly exaggerated."
"A guy like me?" he repeated, pretending to look wounded.
"Mmm-hmm. Exactly like you." she said archly, turning back to her work.
Still, he’d eventually caught her at a weak moment one day and coaxed her into having an overdue lunch with him at a corner bistro. Shed relented, and their affair had taken off from there.
Yet back then she’d never had that apprehensive quality around him that she’d exhibited earlier today.
People changed, of course, but he wondered what could have triggered it in this case.
Still, he didn't intend to let the pressure off Megan. He wanted her—sooner rather than later.

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 15-10-07, 07:41 AM   المشاركة رقم: 9
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 6878
المشاركات: 209
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: nargis عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 16

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Three

When Stephen showed up at her office two days later, Megan was prepared to act as if their encounter in the Garrison Grand's conference room had never happened.
She gritted her teeth now as she led the way down the hall to Elkind Ross's storage rooms, where they kept fabrics, carpets and wall coverings.
She was determined to keep this an all-business relationship even if it killed her.
She could feel his presence behind her—authoritative, confident, all male—and wished now she’d worn something more severe than a wrap dress and heels to work today.
They stepped into the secluded and very empty storage room, and Megan couldn't help thinking that there were some requirements of her job that she could easily do without right now.
Stephen looked around at the shelves surrounding them. They were all piled high with materials.
"So this is what things really look like around here." he said, his voice tinged with amusement. "I was beginning to think, judging from your austere office, that this was a place where even a paper clip wouldn't dare to be out of place."
"I haven't had a chance to settle in yet." she responded.
Let him think what he liked, she thought. She didn't want him getting any hints of her life as it was now.
She walked toward the back of the room to search for the samples she was looking for and he followed, then stopped beside her. In his dark pin-stripe suit, he pulled off the look of restrained power effortlessly.
Retrieving a small chip from a cardboard box she said "This is a sample of the type of wall covering I'd like to use in the conference rooms."
As he took the chip from her their hands brushed, sending awareness shooting through her.
"As you can see." she went on determined to ignore the sensation, "it's not quite white, but close enough. I think."
"Right," he muttered, but his eyes were focused on her not the sample in his hand.
She scooted over to another shelf. "And these are examples of the fabrics I’d like to use. This is the white leather—" she tapped a bolt of fabric "—and this is the midnight velvet."
She watched him feel the leather, his tanned hands dark against the lightness of the fabric, and an erotic charge went through her.
Cursing her wayward mind, and seeking to distract both him and herself, she yanked the bolt of velvet fabric forward with more force than necessary.
"As you can see the color has a depth and a richness to it that make it more than merely navy-blue. It’s plush, and at the same time, fairly easy to clean thanks to the wonders of new industrial processes."
He reached out and touched the fabric, his hand slowly stroking over it.
She nearly gulped. It was impossible, she belatedly realized, to have this conversation without a sexual subtext.
"You're right." he said, gazing directly at her. "It’s...sinful."
She could see amusement lurking in his eyes. Damn him. He knew exactly the effect this conversation was having on her.
The sudden ring of a phone made her jump and broke the spell.
Stephen arched a brow.
"We keep a phone in the supply room." she explained, hurrying over to a nearby cabinet, "in case anyone needs to be reached while they’re working."
While they’re being seduced by the look in a client's eyes.
Picking up the phone, she said. "Hello?"
"Megan, it's Tiffany."
What a time for her babysitter to call! Maybe it hadn't been such a great idea to tell her secretary to forward any important calls. She cast an involuntary look at Stephen from the corner of her eyes.
"Is anything wrong?" she asked.
"Just checking in."
She groaned inwardly. "Thanks. That's thoughtful."
"Jade wants to go to the park." Tiffany continued, “so we might not be here when you arrive home. I didn't want you to worry, so I thought I'd call now. If we don't beat you back, we’ll be on the way."
'That's fine."
"We might stop for some ice cream."
"Just remember what she's allergic to." she responded in a lowered voice.
"Will do."
When she hung up. Stephen asked. "Is everything okay? I heard you mention the word allergic"
She thought frantically, even as she struggled to appear composed.
"Ah it’s a client I'm taking to lunch." she fibbed. "I was just reminding my secretary to bear in mind what the client is allergic to when making reservations." She waved her hand around. "You know ah ethnic cuisine and all."
"Right."
She cleared her throat. Time to get out of the pressure cooker that the storage room had turned into. "If you follow me back to my office, we can consider the layout of the Garrison Grand redesign in greater detail."
What was Megan hiding? Shed appeared furtive when speaking on the phone in the storage room earlier in the day.
Stephen stared out the window of his office, his fingers steepled his feet crossed on his desk.
He knew she wasn't married. She didn't wear a ring, and he figured Megan would be one to change her surname when she got married.
Maybe there was a boyfriend in the picture.
His lips thinned at the thought of Megan with another man. Still, her reaction to his asking for a date hadn't been to say she was seeing someone. Shed been about to say something, but he was fairly sure it wasn't that. She would have finished her thought otherwise, because a steady boyfriend would have afforded her an easy excuse to turn him down.
Still, he wondered how many lovers she'd had since their breakup. He'd hardly been celibate himself. They're were plenty of beautiful women in South Beach who were only too happy to hook up with the wealthy and good-looking owner of one of the trendiest places in town.
But none of those relationships had gone as deep as the one with Megan. When his mind had slipped it’s leash and he'd compared those women to her they'd come up short.
He thought back to Megan's accusation. No one leaves a Garrison.
Yeah, it had irked him to be dumped. Particularly since, as far as he was concerned, their relationship had been just fine. The sex had been great, and she’d challenged and fascinated him out of bed too.
She was the one woman he'd actually given thought to settling down with.
"You look severe."
He looked at his open office door and noticed his new sister-in-law. Anna, holding on to the doorjamb.
He pushed away from his desk and lowered his feet.
Anna walked into the room. "What were you thinking? I could practically see the storm clouds."
"Nothing." he said, standing. "What brings you to the Garrison Grand?"
He kept his personal life private, including the particulars of his short-lived affair with Megan.
Still, now he knew Anna and Megan were friends, he figured his new sister-in-law could be useful to him. He wasn't averse to doing some subtle digging.
'Parker and I are having dinner at the Opalesce Room." Anna responded.
He flashed a smile that more than one woman had characterized as devilish. "Come to invite me along?"
Anna laughed. "Hardly. Parker and I are still honeymooners."
"Yeah, how can any of us forget?"
The change in his brother had been extraordinary. The guy actually seemed to be in love, which—given the train wreck their own parents1 marriage had been until their father had died—was some feat. It also spoke volumes about the woman before him.
His parents marriage had been marred by Bonita Garrisons drinking. Still, after John Garrisons sudden death from a heart attack, everyone had been shocked to learn he'd fathered a love child.
"Actually" Anna went on. "since your brother is going to be late, I thought Id stop by on the off chance that Megan might be around. I know she's working on the business center renovation."
"She came by yesterday." He didn't add she’d hightailed it out of there after his thwarted pass.
Anna looked momentarily disappointed, then shrugged. ''Oh well. I suppose I’ll catch up with her soon." After a moment, she added impetuously. ‘I’m glad you hired her."
"Yeah." he said, coming around his desk. "I didn't know until you mentioned it that you were close friends with one of Miami's best up-and-coming designers."
"In fact." Anna admitted. "I have Megan to thank for my start at Garrison. Inc. four years ago. She'd gotten to know people in the HR department while she worked on renovations at Garrison headquarters."
"So she said. What are friends for?" he remarked flippantly as he made his way to a side cabinet that held a small refrigerator and beverages.
Recently he'd suspected Anna of corporate espionage, but he'd been proved wrong. Someone, though, was leaking secrets to the damn Jefferies brothers. Last month, editorial coverage and a photo spread in Luxury Traveler that he'd been working hard to negotiate for the Garrison Grand had somehow fallen through, and the magazine had instead—by strange coincidence—decided to
profile Jordan Jefferies's soon-to-be-opened Hotel Victoria.
Fortunately Parker had asked the family's private investigator Ace Martin, to ferret out the traitor. It didn't help matters, though, that one of his younger twin sisters had just decided to get herself engaged to Emilio Jefferies.
"Drink?" he offered.
"No. thanks. Parker should be here any minute."
Stephen poured himself some bottled water. After watching his mother drink herself silly, he was careful with the heavy stuff.
"Anyway I'm glad you hired Megan after I mentioned her for the project here at the hotel." Anna continued. "I'm glad I was able to return the favor she did for me."
"I'm sure she can’t thank you enough." he responded tongue-in-cheek, thinking of Megan's reaction when he'd shown up in her office.
"I also convinced her to take over the cute little house I was leasing in Coral Gables."
He turned back toward Anna, and took a sip of his drink. "You don't say?"
Parker appeared in the doorway behind his wife, and Anna turned.
"Great, you're not as late as I thought you’d be." Anna said.
Parker gave his wife a quick kiss.
"Leave it for dessert." Stephen said to no one in particular.
Parker flashed him a grin, and Anna looked embarrassed.
Stephen raised his glass in salute. "Enjoy your meal."
Thanks to Anna, he had more important matters to attend to. starting with calling over to HR at Garrison headquarters and finding out his sister-in-law's old address.

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 15-10-07, 07:42 AM   المشاركة رقم: 10
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 6878
المشاركات: 209
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: nargis عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 16

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Four

He scanned the house numbers, and when he found the modest little home in Coral Gables, he pulled up at the curb and parked his Aston Martin convertible.
As Stephen strode up the well-kept front lawn, he scanned the home’s facade. It was hard to tell if anyone was home.
The house was painted white, with light blue shutters and trim providing vivid contrast. Flower boxes spilled over from the front windows, and some small bushes dotted the lawn before them.
He pocketed his sunglasses before finding and ringing the doorbell.
It was a late Saturday afternoon, and the temperature hovered modestly in the mid eighties. Megan could be anywhere, he thought. She could be out running errands or seeing friends. If she wasn't home, his plan was to try another time.
He rang the doorbell again.
He knew just calling Megan up and asking for a date wouldn't work. She’d already turned down his invitation to dinner.
So he'd decided to show up on her doorstep unannounced. He figured he could offer his help for what remained to be done moving in and in the process, he might even persuade her about dinner.
She was bound to be more relaxed outside of work.
On top of it all he was more than a little curious about what Megan was hiding. At the Garrison Grand the other day when she’d abruptly cut herself off the alarmed look that had crossed her face had been telling.
Showing up at her house would give him a good opportunity to discover any secrets.
With that thought, he rang a third time.
After waiting for a few moments, and again receiving no response, he resigned himself to trying again another time.
He turned to leave when a distant laugh suddenly stopped him.
The laugh came again, and this time he thought it was coming from the rear of the house.
Changing direction, he cut across the lawn, then turned the corner and walked along the concrete path that ran along the side of the house.
As he neared the backyard, he could tell from the sound of movement that there were definitely people outside.
"Mommy, the green."
"Okay. Jade. Just a minute, honey."
He recognized the second voice as Megan's.
Even as his mind roared to life trying to make sense of the conversation—Megan, a mother—he turned the corner into the backyard.
His eyes rapidly took in Megan, her back to him sitting at a plastic picnic table opposite a little girl. They were finger-painting and wearing matching smocks.
The little girl looked up suddenly and stared at him.
He stared back—and felt the breath leave him.
The girl had dark brown hair, pulled back in a ponytail and her large brown eyes stared at him innocently.
But the characteristic he zeroed in on was her cleft chin.
He was all too familiar with the trait. He viewed it every morning when he shaved, and he saw it in the faces of his siblings.
All the Garrisons had cleft chins.
The girl looked to be around three, which would make her the right age....
His mind froze.
The little girl smiled and pointed. "Mommy, there's a man here."
He watched as Megan looked over her shoulder.
When she saw him her eyes widened and her lips parted. Color drained from her face.
She owed him some answers big time, Stephen thought grimly.
He could read the truth in Megan's reaction, could see it in his daughters face. His daughter.
"Hello. Megan." Given his fury, he was surprised by how even his voice was.
Not in front of Jade, her eyes seemed to beg him as he stepped forward.
"And who is this pretty girl?" he asked, looking over at Jade.
The little girl giggled. ‘I’m Jade."
A door opened and slammed. "Sorry. I'm late—"
Stephen turned to see a woman—a cute blonde who looked to be in her early twenties—stopped in front of Megan's back door.
Megan rose. "That's okay. Tiffany. I was just entertaining Jade with some finger-painting."
Stephen noticed Tiffany gazing at him as if she recognized him.
More likely than not she did. If she and her friends partied at the Garrison Grand or one of the other hot spots among the Garrison properties, chances were good she would have seen him. Or maybe she recognized him from the newspapers.
"My name is Jade, and I like green!"
Despite the charged atmosphere Stephen couldn't help smiling at the little girl's outburst. The tyke had personality.
Megan looked down at her daughter. "Time to clean up sweetie."
"But Mommy, we're not done!"
"Why don't I finish painting with Jade?" Tiffany offered, stepping forward though her eyes remained on him.
Doubtlessly Stephen thought, she was wondering what he was doing standing in Megan's yard.
"Yes. Megan." he drawled, “Why don't you let Tiffany take over, since you and I need to talk."
His tone said she wasn't getting rid of him. He wanted answers now.
Their eyes met and clashed until Megan broke contact.
"All right." she said finally, then raised her arms to untie the smock from behind her neck.
Because Tiffany continued to look at him curiously, he said smoothly. "Aren't you going to introduce us Megan?" Then without waiting for a response, he held out his hand. "Hi. I'm Stephen Garrison."
Jade s father, Megan s former lover. The guy who just found out he has a child.
"I thought I recognized you!" Tiffany exclaimed. "You're the owner of the Garrison Grand, aren't you?"
"Yes." he acknowledged, then shook Tiffany's hand.
He was used to women stating the obvious when meeting him for the first time.
He knew his effect on the opposite sex. He was tall, well-built and rich. Three qualities women loved. When they weren't slipping him their phone numbers or hotel keys, they were finagling an introduction from friends.
His image blended with that of the Garrison Grand: life in the fast lane.
"Get around, don't you?" Megan remarked drily.
He arched a brow as he stepped toward where she stood, waiting for him. "I'm locally known, if that's what you mean."
He could tell Tiffany was following their exchange avidly, which made it all the more imperative that he and Megan find a place where they could speak privately.
"Listen to what Tiffany says, sweetheart." Megan said to her daughter before turning to walk toward the back door.
He followed, watching Megan's hips swing in tailored shorts and a light blue T-shirt, her feet in flip-flops.
She could have been any suburban mother trying to entertain her kid on a hot weekend afternoon.
Except now he knew she was the mother of his kid.
He trailed her through the house to a cozy living room furnished with tropical-print furniture and strewn with toys.
She stopped and turned to face him.
"Why the hell didn't you tell me I had a daughter?" he began without preamble. "And don't bother denying it. She's got the Garrison features, right down to the cleft chin!"
She folded her arms in front of her almost hugging herself. "I thought it was best."
"You...thought...it...was...best?" Fury made him enunciate every word. "Best for whom? You? Because I can already tell you honey, it sure as hell wasn't best for me." He stabbed his finger in the direction of the yard. "And it's questionable whether it was best for that little girl out there to be raised by you alone and denied all the advantages I could have provided for her."
He'd just given voice to her own niggling doubts over the years. Megan thought.
There were times when she'd thought about contacting Stephen. Times when she’d wondered whether she was doing the right thing by not telling him of Jades existence.
And then shed thought about his betrayal and his playboy lifestyle, and realized all over again he wasn't father material. There was no way he'd be happy to learn he'd accidentally fathered a child.
Now though, he'd found out about Jade in the worst possible way.
Still, she rebelled at his judgment of her.
"Why?" he asked.
"It was clear to me our affair was coming to an end."
"Try again." he snapped. "You've used that line before. It may have sufficed as a reason for breaking up but it doesn't explain why you kept my daughter from me."
"What would you have done if I'd told you?" she flung back at him. "Would you have accused me of deliberately getting pregnant? Of trying to trap you?"
He stared at her hard. "My reaction is beside the point. I had a right to know."
"You gave up that right when you proved yourself untrustworthy."
"Untrustworthy? What the hell is that supposed to mean?"
"It means you were seeing other women. Having sex with other women."
He didn't move a muscle.
Just let him deny it she thought angrily.
"You're crazy." he said finally.
"I saw her," she responded, dropping her arms. "I saw her leaving your yacht the night I was coming—"
She cut herself off.
"The night you were coming to tell me you were pregnant?" he finished for her guessing.
"She said you were the best she'd ever had."
"A nice compliment if it had been true," he retorted, "but I wasn't sleeping with anyone else."
She threw up her hands. "What was I supposed to think? She was straightening her dress while she spoke to me! She was leaving your yacht, it was late, and you had a reputation as a player."
A reputation that she’d been well aware of. She’d only gone out with him after he'd pursued her persistently while she’d worked on the renovation of Garrison headquarters. Even then, it had been against her better judgment. Of course, once she’d found out about his cheating, she’d castigated herself for her naivete.
"I can hardly remember who you're talking about! Women have thrown themselves at me—"
"And that's the problem." she retorted. Definitely not Daddy material. Not then, and not now. "You're the Garrison Grand's owner. You operate in a sophisticated world."
A heartless world.
A muscle worked in his jaw. "Even if I'd slept with someone else, it doesn't justify your hiding Jade."
"Oh yes. It does." she responded. "It meant as far as you were concerned, we weren't serious. It confirmed you were still a player. I knew you wouldn't be thrilled to discover I was pregnant."
If she couldn't trust him with her heart, how could she trust him with her baby?
At least, that's what she’d told herself whenever she’d had doubts about keeping Jades existence a secret.
"How can you be so damn sure of my reaction when I'm not even sure what the hell my reaction would have been?" he tossed back, then raked his hand through his hair. "How could you have gotten pregnant? We used protection."
Shed wondered the same thing for a time. Now she shrugged her shoulders. "I took some antibiotics for a sinus infection. They must have interfered with the pill."
He just continued to look at her fixedly.
She steadied herself. "The question is where do we go from here?"
She dreaded raising the issue, but it was a question that had to be asked.
"I'll tell you where were not going, and that's back to you excluding me from Jade's life."
His words chilled her. The thought of Jade somehow, someday, being taken away from her was her biggest fear.
"What do you mean?" she breathed.
"I mean." he said, his expression flinty, "'you're going to marry me and publicly acknowledge I'm Jade’s father."
"What? You can’t be serious!" Even as her heart thudded, she tried to wrap her mind around the idea and couldn't.
"But I am sweetheart" he responded implacably.
"And if I say no?"
His face closed, hardening, and she got a glimpse of Stephen, the ruthless businessman. "Then I’ll take you to court to establish my parental rights. I’ll use every means at my disposal to give you the legal battle of your life and to get access to my daughter."
She knew those means were formidable. Stephen had wealth, power and political influence, not to mention the Garrison empire to back him up.
Still, she managed to find her voice, and say evenly. "I'd probably win a custody battle. The law is on my side as Jade’s mother and the one who's raised her."
"You couldn't afford a fight, and even if you could, would you want to risk it?" he shot back.
No. she acknowledged, if only to herself. She knew Stephen had the money to hire the best lawyers in town, which would make for a protracted and messy battle. He could very well win generous visitation rights, at the least.
"Think about it." he said, seeming to read her mind. "One way or another I'm in your life."
"I could fight you." She wasn't without some means herself. But she knew she was out of her league with Stephen.
And that was the heart of the matter. He'd always been out of her league, in every way.
"Yeah." he acknowledged too quietly, "but think about your career. You just got a new start in Miami. You don't have the time for a legal battle, and your professional reputation will take a hit."
She hated that he was right. Her professional reputation would suffer. Interior design was such a fickle business. Who would want to hire a woman whose personal life was a disaster? Who might be trailed by reporters to their doorstep?
Stephen had influence in this town. He was a trendsetter and more. She knew there would be people who'd want to keep on his good side—and that would include not doing business with the former lover with whom Stephen was involved in a messy child-custody fight.
"Why are you doing this me?" she whispered, distraught.
"Isn't that my line?" he countered. "Why did you do this to me?"
She opened and closed her mouth.
"No matter what." he said flatly, "we're joined at the hip."
"Oops, sorry to intrude!"
Megan turned and saw Tiffany standing in the doorway from the hallway to the living room. She had no idea how long the sitter had been there.
"I didn't realize you were still here. Megan." Tiffany said, "but I thought I'd check because you usually tell me when you're leaving." Then glancing from Stephen back to her she added. "Didn't you say your dinner was at seven?"
Megan closed her eyes. She'd almost forgotten about her business dinner!
Opening her eyes again, she looked at her watch. It was nearing six. She'd have to hurry.
Tiffany looked from her to Stephen, and evidently judging that shed walked in on a heated conversation, she took a step back. "I left Jade in the kitchen. Call me if you need anything."
When the sitter had retreated Megan looked back at Stephen. "I have a business dinner in a little over an hour to court a potential new client. That's why Tiffany came over."
Shed made an exception to her rule not to let business intrude on her weekends with Jade because Conrad had asked her for a favor. She was supposed to meet Conrad and the potential client at a downtown Miami restaurant—and she wasn't even dressed yet.
Stephen looked at her coldly. "I'm giving you until Monday to make up your mind. And I'm only giving you that amount of time because I know you're scheduled to come by the Garrison Grand and we can talk then without having Jade around." He paused. "You already got four years."
Megan watched then as Stephen strode to the front door and slammed out of her house.
But not out of her life, she thought with a pang.

عرض البوم صور nargis  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة