مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
ورده قايين غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : ورده قايين المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

CHAPTER FOUR
Eve woke suddenly and lay absorbing the strangeness of it all. The fire had died, for no longer did those tendrils of acrid smoke drift upwards. She turned her head very carefully and dragged the mosquito netting away from her face . . . the Major lay deeply asleep, his black hair tousled, his chin and jaws dark with his beard. Eve had a feeling he had kept awake most of the night, but now as dawn crept into the sky he allowed himself the luxury of an hour's sleep.
She didn't intend to wake him, and with extreme care she rose to her feet and disentangled herself from the rest of the net, bundling it and setting it to one side. Then she turned to the small pile of articles she had confiscated from that circular suitcase which the pilot had obligingly left behind. A bar of soap, a sponge and a towel were gathered up, and with a final glance at that sleeping figure to make sure he wasn't foxing her, Eve made for the tree-shadowed path that led in the direction of the creek.
If there was one thing she just had to have it was a plunge into water and a good lathering of soap to help make her feel fresh and human again.
This was like playing truant, as if she were a schoolgirl again, and Eve smiled to herself and reckoned that if she were quick she could be bathed and dressed and back at their camp site before the Major awoke and [59-60] could alarm her with reasons why she shouldn't bathe in the creek.
She breathed the cool morning air and felt the spell of a slumbrous quiet that would last until the sun began to spread its flame across the treetops. She heard rustlings and the occasional bird call, and gazed in wonder at the yards of moss hanging down from the forks of trees, along with ribbons of fern. Several enormous webs glinted with the thick dew that had made their recent occupants retreat into the underbrush. Eve firmly closed he mind to anything unpleasant, and a few minutes later had emerged on to the banks of the creek. A mist lay over the peat-coloured water, and there was a cluster of blue lotus at the edge where she stood, their petals closed into a big bud, waiting for the sun to open them on the big green leaves.
Eve hung her towel on a lower branch of a massive, mottled tree whose roots stretched out into the water, swiftly removed her clothes and hung them with equal care on another of the branches. Then, nude as Phryne, with soap and sponge clutched in her hands, she ran out gleefully into the water and gave herself up to the bliss of bathing and splashing about, lost to everything but the need to feel clean and fresh.
Above the treetops the rising sun had become a ball of flame, and a flock of green birds rose in unison against the red-gold sky. The mud banks, however, had begun to give off a rank smell which Eve ignored, and from the jungle came the chattering and scolding of monkeys in the high crowns of the trees as they swung back and forth on the long chains of creepers thick as an arm.
She'd enjoy a few more minutes in the water, which [60-61] despite its leaf-dyed colour had made her feel tingling clean, then she would have to dress and return to the camp site. Suddenly she felt the nerves knot in her stomach as she spotted a movement beyond the bank where she had left her clothes . . . a figure swung out from among the trees and with long hairy arms grabbed at her belongings and carried them off.
Clad only in the wet sheen of her white skin and auburn hair, Eve realised with dismay that one of the more daring monkeys had decided to find out if her garments were edible . . . oh, lord, now she was in a naked predicament, with only a bar of soap and a sponge to keep her covered . . . unless like that other Eve she got hold of a large leaf to cover herself!
With every passing second the jungle was coming noisily awake, and Eve realised that Wade O'Mara would be waking up as well, and he'd be furious when he found she had slipped away from his side to come and enjoy a forbidden bathe in the creek.
Furious he was . . . she could see that the instant he strode from among the trees on to the mud bank. "You damn little idiot," he yelled across the water. "You'll come out of there without delay, or I'll come in and drag you out!"
When she didn't move, his voice cracked like a whip. "You crazy little fool, Eve! Can't you see this creek mud is crawling with crabs now that the sun is up?"
It was . . . the rotted vegetation was moving and shifting as if alive and Eve felt her stomach turn over.
"I-I can't come out," she half-choked. "I have nothing on!"
"For heaven's sake! I've seen unclad females before [61-62] today, and I'm old enough to be your father! Come on out before the mud crabs make a meal of you!"
"M-my clothes," she whimpered. "A monkey took them--"
"That figures," he said grimly, and as she watched he unbuttoned his khaki shirt and removed it, revealing a torso the colour of copper. He waded out into the water, holding open the shirt so she could dive into it.
"Come on, you little jackass!" he ordered.
Eve had no option but to obey him, and with her skin aflame with mortification she dashed towards him, flinging up water as he gathered her into the shirt and swung her up into his arms, so her bare white legs were out of reach of that mass of scurrying black crabs, clicking and snapping round his booted feet. He strode back with her to their camp site, along the pathway droning with flies. Eve's fingers clenched a warm coppery shoulder and never had she felt so helpless and vulnerable, all but bare in the steely arms of this angry man.
"You damn little jackass!" he said again.
"You're always so complimentary," she mumbled.
"You deserve a good hiding where it would sting . . . so you were going to emerge from the creek like Aphrodite of the foam, eh, glowingly clean and a real sweet meal for the crabs and the gnats?"
"I-I didn't expect a darned monkey to run off with my things," she said. "Whatever will I do?"
"You'll trek through the jungle wrapped in a blanket," he replied, "if I fail to find your shirt and trousers. Hasty little female, aren't you? I told you last night to stay away from the creek, but you had to wash yourself and smell like a lily. As if I care!"
[62-63] "Well, I care," she rejoined. "I'm not one of your soldiers."
"No," he drawled, and she could feel him looking down at her, and again she felt an acute helplessness in his arms, with the dark hair curling down to his wrists, embedding the thick leather strap of his watch. There was such assurance to his strength, a careless male power, a saddle-tanning to his skin that seemed to make him impervious to what would bite her.
"We're quite the knight and the rescued maiden, aren't we?" he jeered. "Lady, you just don't go bathing in a jungle creek as if you were taking a dip in the family pool, and from now on you'll do nothing except on my say-so. Do you hear me?"
"Your voice would carry across a parade ground," she retorted. "I bet the men under your command just love you!"
"Love?" He gave an abrupt laugh that startled a pair of sunbirds from their path. "In this inhuman race to survive, honey, that commodity is now in very short supply. Human beings have become like the bird-eating spiders in this jungle."
"Ugh!" Eve shuddered in his whipcord arms, lashed around her as he ducked beneath a curtain of ragged mosses and they entered the clearing where they had spent the night. "Of course, one occasionally sees a white canary flying in the face of danger."
"The Beauty and the Beast syndrome," she murmured.
"Exactly." He set her down on the khaki blanket. "It's a fact of life."
Eve pushed a damp strand of hair from her forehead and allowed herself a brief look at him. Did he understand that in her hunger to be clean the creek [63-64] had taken on the look of a laguna in the dawn mist, hiding the things that slept in the mud? His eyes flicked the auburn dampness of her hair and fell to the tremulous redness of her mouth.
"I know darn well I can't treat you like a raw recruit," he said, "but I'm afraid you're going to have to smarm yourself in gnat repellent from your ears to your heels, so you'd better start now while I make a fire and cook us up some coffee and sausages."
"Sausages?" she exclaimed, and became aware of another sort of hunger.
"I found a tin of them at the airfield bungalow, so we'll eat a good breakfast before setting off for Tanga."
"What about my clothes, Major?" Eve bit her lip as the grey eyes scanned her slim figure in the khaki shirt that came to her thighs. His mouth quirked into that one-sided smile. "At the moment you look cute in my shirt, lady, but I'd dread to imagine what you'd look like after several hours of slogging through jungle bamboo and flying bitchos. We'll have our breakfast, then I'll make a search for your things--dammit, Eve, we'll lose about an hour of our trek because of your female irresponsibility!"
"I-I'm sorry, Major."
"That's all very well. You women hasten in where angels fear to fly, and then get all dewy-eyed with regret. You do realise that we're on the run from a pack of two-legged animals who would have a glorious time passing you around like candy?"
"You said--you promised--" She glanced significantly at his gun.
"Sure, but you'll recall, you little jackass, that I was taking a snooze when you sneaked off and took a bath in the creek. What would you have done had it not [64-65] been a monkey who grabbed your clothes?"
"Screamed," she said, with a shudder.
"Hoping I'd hear you, no doubt, with a jungle full of animals waking up for their breakfast. Well, come on, get yourself well anointed with insect repellent--and do put on that robe before I start getting ideas!"
"At this time of the morning, Major?" But she turned away instantly in search of the plaid robe, feeling the heat come into her skin. As she grabbed the robe and put it on she heard that short growl of a laugh issue from Wade O'Mara's throat.
"What's the time of day got to do with it?" he asked, as he went in search of wood that when stripped of its bark would be dry enough underneath to ignite without too much trouble.
After he had got the fire going and placed his smoke-blackened kettle on the stones, he opened the can of sausages, which to the delight of both of them were bedded in baked beans in a thick sauce. "Manna from heaven," he growled, and handing Eve a plate he prepared to tip half the *******s of the can on to it.
"Cold?" she exclaimed.
"Can't be helped," he said. "I haven't a pan to heat them."
"Can't you stand the can in the fire?" she asked. "It would be nice to have a warm breakfast."
"No doubt, if you don't mind it smoky?"
"A little smoke won't hurt me."
"Not quite the hothouse orchid I took you for, eh?" He replaced the lid of the sausage can, dug a couple of holes in it with his opener and carefully settled it in the fire. He flicked a look over her and she tilted her chin, standing there in a man's robe trailing round her feet, her hair combed back damply from her temples. [65-66] "You look little more than a kid at the moment."
"I expect I do," she said, but inwardly she didn't feel like one. She was still wearing his shirt under the robe, and he was standing there palming coffee into the kettle, his torso tanned to the toughness of saddle leather, except for a puckered scar about six inches long in the region of his heart. She wanted to ask about it and decided that it had something to do with why he had been discharged from the regular army.
He saw her eyes upon his chest and his mouth gave a sardonic twist. "A bit of [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]l from a bomb," he informed her. "It got bedded in me and spoiled my beauty. "You're flinching, Eve, so it's just as well you can't see the one on the back of my left thigh."
"And yet you enjoy being a soldier and can't stay away from a fight," she said, and she was flinching at the thought of the white-hot [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]l ploughing its way into his body. He was tough, but he was still flesh and blood, and she couldn't understand why his wife had never insisted that he put away his uniform for good. One day . . .
He nodded, reading her thoughts in her eyes. "Sure, one day my luck will run out, but we've all got to go and I don't fancy growing old and weary and dependent. I've always looked out for myself and soldiering becomes a way of life and I'm too steeped in it--I guess like the leopard I can't change my spots."
"What about your wife, doesn't she count?" Eve asked, and it worried her that it was such an effort to mention his wife in a casual tone of voice. "It can't be much of a life for her, surely?"
"It never was," he said briefly. "Do you like your coffee sweet?"
"Please."
[66-67] He dropped lumpy brown sugar in the big mug, poured the strong-looking coffee and handed it to her. "There was one other reason why I didn't want you to go bathing in the creek," he said. "I'm not a spoilsport and I appreciate that a girl likes to be clean, but there could have been a leopard about and you wouldn't have seen him. Those lovely lithe creatures can almost flatten themselves to the ground and be invisible in the tall ferns, and if one of them leapt on you, you wouldn't stand any chance of getting away."
"You're really laying the dangers on the line for me, aren't you, Major?" She sipped her coffee and gave him a challenging look. "Do you reckon our chances of getting to Tanga are fairly good?"
"If you obey orders and don't treat the jungle as if it were a safari park, with big white hunters strolling about."
Eve couldn't suppress a smile as she handed him the lion's share of the coffee, which was abominably strong. "You have the edge of a panga to your tongue, Major O'Mara."
"Do I scare you?" he jeered, taking a deep swig of the coffee. "You surely guessed what you'd be in for when you decided to take this trek. I could have got you on that plane, you know. All I needed to do was sling that fat oaf out of his cushy seat."
"Would you have preferred doing this trek with him?" she asked, looking demure.
Wade gave his lopsided smile. "At least he wouldn't wander off in search of a bath, and lose his pants in the process."
"Don't be mean." Eve turned to the fire. "Shall I dish up the sausage and beans?"
"No, I'd better do it. You might burn your dainty [67-68] little fingers and drop the lot in the flames."
"You always have to be the bwana, don't you?"
"I have to be practical, ndito, and there's a difference. We haven't much food to see us through and it would be a pity to lose the dogs and beans." As he spoke he whipped the can on to an enamel plate with the blade of his knife, and once again Eve had to admit to herself that he was very deft with his hard brown hands.
They ate hungrily and quickly, using biscuits to mop up the beans and sauce. The food was smoky, but somehow that added to the taste and Eve had never enjoyed a meal so much.
"I'll tidy up," she said, when they had finished eating, anxious for him to go and look for her clothes.
"Right." He stood up, flexing his arms. "Leave the fire, lady. I'll see to that when I get back--that monkey swiped the garments from the creek bank, eh?"
"From the limb of one of those big mottled trees, just where the mud crabs appeared, then it darted back into the bush."
"Well, keep your fingers crossed." He loped off among the trees, and Eve set about tidying their camp site, wiping off the plates with handfuls of grass, folding the blanket after giving it a good shake and rolling it as tight as possible. All the while she was conscious of the jungle sounds all around her, and the tunnels of trees where anything might creep and be upon her before she could look around.
She tensed as she caught the rustling of leaves, but it was only one of the gorgeous sunbirds fluttering out on bright wings, pausing on a thick branch as if to [68-69] watch her; and then it flew off again, its wings catching the sun that was now a flame of pure gold above the roof of towering trees.
Wade was at the edge of the clearing before she heard him, and then he called her name so he wouldn't alarm her. Relief caught at her heart that he was back, and with a quizzical look on his face he held out a couple of garments for her inspection. Her shirt, ripped and dirty, and her slacks with a piece of material hanging loose from the backside. "No luck with the lingerie," he said. "I only hope your briefs aren't lying on a bush somewhere, a sure indication that a woman has passed this way."
"I took a spare pair from that woman's suitcase, so I can manage." Eve ruefully examined the torn shirt. "Lord, this is a mess!"
"I expect a pair of monkeys were wrangling over it, until they got bored and went off in search of fresh mischief. I can't spare the time for any mending, Eve, so you'll have to make do--" He broke into a grin at the way she was regarding the backside of her slacks. "We'll have to pin them, and then all you'll need is a dirty face to look like Judy Garland singing that tramp song with Astaire. Did you ever see that movie?"
"I can't somehow picture you as a film fan," she said, watching him open a waterproof pouch in which he had cotton and needles, tablets and matches, a couple of candles, a tin of germicide plasters, and several large safety-pins attached to a piece of string.
"I was a member of the Green Jackets, not part of a holy order," he handed her three of the safety pins. "I went to the cinema when I had a couple of hours to spare, and contrary to popular belief it's a busy life in [69-70] the army, especially if you belong to a regiment famous for its drilling and its marksmanship."
"I'm glad you're a good shot, Major." She accepted the pins and set about pinning her slacks into some sort of order. "I imagine you are?"
"Sure." He stroked a hand along the length of his Breda, almost as if it were part of a woman. "This isn't army issue, but I found it some months ago in an abandoned plantation. It was probably used to hunt with, but these beauties can bring down a lion or an elephant."
"I-I'm going to get dressed," she said. "Do you mind turning your back, Major?"
"Anything to oblige a lady." He swung about as if on the parade ground, but not before she had seen his lips quirk at the edge. She felt the colour mount to the line of her hair, for when he had seen her in the altogether it must seem prudish to him that she hesitated to step into her slacks in front of him. The Major whistled that Garland-Astaire song as she scrambled into her garments--We're a couple of swells, we live in the best hotels . . .
"Are we really going to make it to Tanga today?" she asked, and was brushing at her dirty shirt when he turned to face her once more.
"All being well." He slapped a hand against the mahogany grasp of his shotgun.
"Superstitious, Major?" It was her turn to smile.
"Soldiers are, lady. Have you never walked out on the arm of a dashing guardsman? I thought that was all part of the debutante set-up?"
"I've always preferred sailors," she rejoined. "My father was one."
[70-71] "A Naval Commander, no less?"
"No, he had a rather rakish yacht and he used to take Bahamian tourists out on fishing trips. One of the fools fell overboard on too much bourbon and my father was killed by a barracuda when he dived in to help his client."
"That was a bad stroke of luck." Wade O'Mara looked genuinely sympathetic. "Is your mother still alive?"
Eve nodded and fingered a rent in her sleeve, poking her finger through it. "She married a cotton-mill owner out in Peru. They have children of their own, so I was reared by my godfather. I-I owe him a lot, as you can imagine."
"So it hasn't been all sugar and sunshine for you?"
"Is it ever? One would have to be a romantic optimist to ever believe that life can be like the movies, or one of those cloying novels you accused me of reading in bed. I actually prefer Raymond Chandler."
"Well, that's one for the books." He looked at her in a sort of pleased astonishment. "I really rate that man! His atmosphere--Bogart, of course, was superb as Philip Marlowe. Well, what do you know! A gal who goes for the real thing in thrillers. Have you got a thing about James Bond?"
Eve shook her head, and thought how startlingly alive were his eyes in his unshaven face . . . slithers of steel in much-worn leather. "You sort of put me in mind of Bogart, do you know that?"
"The African Queen," he drawled. "Best movie ever made!"
"We seem to have something in common, then?"
"Anyway, let's hope we don't have to blow up an enemy battleship before we make it to Tanga."
[71-72] "I can't imagine the best hotel letting us in," she smiled. "We're hardly a pair of swells."
She handed him his khaki shirt, but needless to say he didn't turn coyly away in order to put it on. He left it loose around his middle, but buttoned it to his throat. "Just in case a mosquito fancies a piece of my hide," he drawled.
"Put some of this on your neck and face." Eve held out the tube of repellent.
He shook his head. "That won't last much longer and you need it more than I do." He came over and examined the rents in her shirt. "Are your arms well smarmed with the stuff? Those little brutes go for tender meat."
Eve nodded and could feel his fingers stroking against her arm through one of the rents, and for the briefest moment they stood like that in the jungle clearing, eyes meeting, senses suddenly alert to each other.
"I bet you look irresistible in tennis white," he drawled, "with one of those coloured bandeaux around your hair."
Eve couldn't answer him in her usual quick way; she was so aware of him that her heart felt as if it were pounding in her throat. "Afternoon tennis," he went on, "and then out to dine in a silver dress, with a fox fur like snow about your face. A far cry from all this, eh? And you escort a smooth-faced boy instead of a seasoned soldier trained to live by the gun and the panga."
"No smooth-faced boy could get me to Tanga," she said huskily. "We'd better be on our way, hadn't we?"
"Right." Wade released her arm, but where his hand had been Eve could feel her skin tingling . . . electric sparks that seemed to be darting into her very veins. [72-73] Nothing like that had ever happened when James tentatively touched her . . . never before had she felt such an awareness of another human being, and as she tied her bits and pieces into a plaid bundle, she was both sorry and glad that their trek to Tanga was almost over. There was a danger to this man that went beyond the fact that he was a tough mercenary soldier . . . he made her aware of herself as a woman, and that was alarming, because always in the background of his life there hovered a wife and a son, and the last thing Eve wanted was to complicate her life by falling into an infatuation for a married man.
She had seen that happen to a couple of her friends, one of whom had become involved with a married man of fifty, and there had been a terrible scene when his wife found out what was going on. The wife had attempted suicide, and the girl had been discarded, to spend weeks feeling heart-stricken and used.
Eve recoiled from making that kind of mistake . . . better to marry James than to fall for a man she could never call her own. The marriage would make her guardian happy, at least . . . always supposing she could convince James that the mercenary Major had behaved like a perfect gentleman.
"What are you grinning about?"
She glanced somewhat guiltily at Wade . . . then she realised that he was searching his pockets with a rather troubled frown meshing his eyebrows. He tapped each pocket in turn, then proceeded to turn them out, revealing a collection of oddments that included a gold medal on a grimy ribbon. Then he stuffed the things back in his pockets and began to look about on the ground.
"What have you lost?" Eve enquired, and for no good [73-74] reason she began to feel rather nervy.
"I can't find my compass," he replied grimly.
"You mean--you've lost it?"
"Yes dammit to hell. Must have happened when I went looking for your clothes, and the devil knows where it could have dropped out of my blasted pocket. I've gone and done what a raw recruit would have avoided unless he wanted a tongue-lashing!"
"You mean, Major, you need it in order to follow the trail correctly? That we might get lost if--"
He pressed his lips into a grim line and thumbed his jaw, rasping the black bristles. "I should have made sure the compass was safely lodged in my pocket, and now it's lying somewhere in the jungle and I either lose more time searching for it, or we take a chance and plough on and hope to God we don't lose ourselves."
"Do you feel you ought to search for the compass?" she asked worriedly.
He glanced at his watch. "Every hour we spend in this part of the territory is ripe with danger. I'd like to chance our arm, if you're game, Eve?"
She gazed at his strong, irregular features . . . unyielding and unafraid. It was a face that gave her courage; in fact she was prepared to bet that he had chanced his arm on more than one occasion and had beaten the odds.
"Let's take a chance and go on," she said. She glanced about her at the tangled jungle, thirsting under the hot sun, with vapour beginning to rise around them. Suddenly the place took on a menace that made her want to be on the move. "You know the risks better than I, and it does feel risky to remain here any longer."
"Either way it's a risky decision, Eve. I'll be honest [74-75] with you, I could lead you astray."
She met his grey eyes, slivers of pure steel in his hard brown face. "I've trusted your judgment so far, haven't I?"
"You have, lady, but don't burst into tears if we end up in the middle of nowhere instead of the airport at Tanga." Having said that he began to stamp out the fire, brushing big leaves over the ground where it had been, and tossing deep among the big ferns the stones he had used for a stove.
"C'est la vie," he murmured. "I heard a guy say that in a film once--was it Alan Ladd?--and it sounds exactly right for this occasion."
"What will be, will be," she said, hoisting her bundle.
"Right. And if we do lose ourselves, the golden rule is--stay calm. Think you will, lady?"
"Hope I will." She brought a smile to her lips, but remembering it was her fault that the precious compass was lost, her smile melted swiftly away. "I'm sorry, Major."
"Regret is a waste of time, and we've wasted enough of that. All set, and quite comfortable. The sandals okay, and the ankle?"
He had brought her sandals back with him from the creek bank where she had left them, and as she nodded, hope ignited in her eyes. "We could search along by the creek, couldn't we?"
"We're going to, so keep your fingers crossed."
Eve would have crossed all ten toes and fingers if it would have helped, but unfortunately there was no glinting betrayal of the compass in the mounds of rank vegetation, alive with horrible-looking crabs that scuttled away from the kicking movements of Wade's boots. [75-76] Finally he gritted his teeth and gave a resigned shrug. "We can't waste any more time, so let's be moving along. Got your walking stick?"
She nodded and off they set along a path that had to be cleared every step of the way by a hefty swing of the panga in Wade's hand, lopping the rubbery leaves and spiny branches with an ease that formed in Eve's mind a mental image of what that kind of blade could do to human flesh.
It was like walking in a monotonous dream, for everything had a sameness to it . . . the same tangles of trailing vines, curtains of dank moss and fern, plaitings of whiplike tree-limbs. The smells alone had some kind of variation, musky from the clumps of orchids, earthy and almost sinister when they struck a patch of rotted vegetation, almost seductively scented by velvety bells big enough to hide a snake.
Eve could feel the sweat running down her spine, her thighs, and the slight valley between her breasts. There were innumerable flies, gnats and other venomous things flying about in the stripings of sunlight, but she followed on doggedly, blinking her sweat-clustered lashes and wincing at the soreness this produced after a while.
When they paused for a five-minute rest, Wade handed her a few more berries, big as strawberries, squashy and tasteless, but they helped to moisten her mouth and throat.
"We could have boiled some of that creek water, except that even a boiling might not have killed off some of the tougher germs that breed where decay is rampant. We don't want cholera, eh?"
"God, no!"
[76-77] "We might come across some coconut palms, and if the nuts are green we'll have ourselves something to drink, but in the meantime I'm preserving what we have left in the water bottle."
"I bet you wish I was a boy," she said, licking the last remnant of juice from her lips. "Then you wouldn't concern yourself quite so much, would you?"
"Who says I'm concerned about you?" he jeered.
Eve flushed slightly and evaded his eyes, which could look so mocking when he liked. "I don't think you're quite as hard-boiled as you make out."
"Don't kid yourself, lady. In my kind of army you have to be tough in order to survive, and I'd be tough on whoever I had with me--even a creamy-skinned little vixen from the manor."
"Is that sarcasm meant to pepper me up?" she asked, and beneath her shirt her creamy skin felt as if a flame had swept over it.
"What do you reckon?"
She dared to look at him, but his face was imperturbable and her vision was too sweat-blurred to take an accurate reading. "I shouldn't imagine that anyone has ever got into your mind and found out what you're really thinking," she said. "I bet you're an awfully good poker player, aren't you?"
"You wouldn't lose your bet," he drawled. "Shall we make tracks, ndito?"
"Ready when you are, bwana."
"Attagirl!"

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  
قديم 26-08-07, 10:12 PM   المشاركة رقم: 7
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
التسجيل: May 2006
العضوية: 5027
المشاركات: 343
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: ورده قايين عضو على طريق الابداعورده قايين عضو على طريق الابداع
نقاط التقييم: 173

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER FIVE
It was well into the afternoon when they reached the deserted village, a settlement of huts within a broken-down sapling fence, where the foliage was much trampled, as if a number of people had passed this way.
Eve was cautioned to remain among the trees while the Major, shotgun at the ready, went into the compound and made a search of the huts, most of them having been destroyed by fire so that only the palmwood supports remained.
It was at a bend of the clearing that one of the huts stood in dilapidated isolation, with its dark mud-constructed walls and roof thatching still intact. When Wade returned to where Eve was waiting he briskly informed her that the village was quite benighted, as if everyone had fled away from a sudden attack, which had probably taken place at least a month ago.
"One of the huts is in fair condition, so we're going to rest there," he said, shooting his cuff and taking a look at his watch. "We've walked far enough and it will soon grow dark."
"We're lost, aren't we?" she said carefully. She didn't want to sound as if she were blaming him, not when most of the fault weighed on her conscience. "It's all right, I'm not going to have hysterics, but I would prefer to be told the truth."
"Hopelessly lost," he confessed. "These jungle trails are all so much alike without a map or a compass, and we probably branched off unaware some miles back. [78-79] It's a good thing the village is deserted--you can't always be sure if the people are rebel sympathisers, and it would appear from the state of this settlement that the people were burned out and chased off into the bush."
"They weren't killed?" she asked, looking about her and seeing the thickening of the shadows, and hearing the rising crescendo of bird calls and the thrashing sound of monkeys moving high in the trees. A parakeet squawked and her nerves crawled.
Wade shook his head. "They may have been driven off by mercenaries, but there's no sign of any kind of slaughter. They may have even burned the huts themselves and gone off in search of a safer [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]. Anyway, we'll take a chance and sleep beneath a roof tonight. Come along, Eve, let's try and make ourselves comfortable."
"C'est la vie," she smiled shakily, and followed him across the compound on sore and aching feet. How she would have loved to plunge her poor feet into a bowl of water into which a handful of seaweedy salts had been scattered, but instead she had to stand on them in the doorway of a smelly hut while Wade directed his torch around the curving walls. She had to force herself not to cry out when something scuttled across the floor and a heavy army boot crushed the thing to atoms.
"I-I think I'd prefer to sleep in the open," she said. "This place isn't exactly cosy, is it?"
"The trouble is, Eve, I think it's going to rain. I felt a few spots as we crossed the compound and when it rains out here it means business and we'd be soaked to the skin in a matter of minutes. Better to rest here for the night."
"So long as we can have some light." Eve shivered and [79-80] peered into the dark corners of the hut, her nostrils tensing at the smell of smoke, dried mud and rotting leaves that pervaded the place. Wade had dumped his knapsack on the floor and was investigating various objects which had been left behind in the evacuation of the village . . . some abandoned spears with lethal-looking tips, a gourd which emitted a liquid sound when shaken, a wicker fishing-basket with a keen, glinting look in his eyes.
"It could be that we aren't far from a running stream," he remarked. "If so, Eve, we may get ourselves some fish for breakfast."
"That will be nice," she smiled at the prospect of running water rather than the food. She watched as he took the stopper out of the gourd and put the open top to his nostrils, taking a deep sniff at the *******s.
"Honey-beer--intoxicating as the very devil!"
"Are you going to drink it?" she asked.
"Not on your life, lady. I don't fancy a day-long hangover. A long cool Lion beer is more my mark."
"Thank goodness for that!" The prospect of camping in this mud hut was bad enough, but Eve had momentarily quailed at the image of a drunken soldier sharing it with her.
He shot her a quizzical look. "Getting drunk isn't one of my vices," he reassured her. "I like to gamble now and again, and love nothing better than a keen day at the races, but I've never seen much sense in getting a thick head, and a beery pot-belly."
She smiled and ran her eyes down the lean length of him--formidable, and packed with the strength and will to survive against very long odds. They were lost [80-81] in the jungle, but for tonight he'd make the most of this ramshackle dwelling of thatch and hardened mud, its roof woven from big leaves matted over bamboo lathes. Wade's aura certainly wasn't tranquil, but to Eve's eyes he was a bulwark between her and all those hazards that took on a nightmare quality as the darkness crept over the surrounding jungle. He was so sure and capable, and she took hope from the very look of him, especially when he emptied the gourd of beer into the tall shaggy grass outside the hut and remarked that if they were lucky enough to be close to a stream, the gourd could be used for water.
"Nothing ever throws you off balance, does it, Major?"
"You think not?" His eyes quizzed her in the deepening dusk light. "Just as well to go on thinking it, lady. I wouldn't want to disillusion you."
"It isn't fair to harbour too many illusions about people," she said.
"A wise remark which you probably culled from a Shaw play, for he was quite a cynical old guy in his way."
"It isn't cynicism, it's sense." Eve tilted her chin. "I can't imagine that you harbour any illusions about--women."
"You'd be surprised, honey."
Her skin warmed at the way he almost purred that word. It would have been wiser to discontinue the conversation, but she couldn't fight the curiosity which he aroused in her . . . in that side of him that wasn't all soldier.
"Even you, Major?"
"Even I, so try not to shatter my illusions."
[81-82] "They must be very fragile?"
"Spun-glass." He had unstrapped his knapsack and taken from it the waterproof pouch in which he kept his matches and candles. He lit one and held it so the shadows played over his face, giving him a rather devilish look. "I wonder if in normal circumstances we'd talk like this, eh? Right now you'd probably be getting ready for a date at the Ritz Grill or the White House restaurant, slipping your slim legs into sheer hose, worried about what to wear instead of looking like a weary, worn doll I've pushed to the very edge of exhaustion. Yet you stand up to me, don't you, lady? You back-answer me, instead of scratching my eyes out for getting you lost in this neck of the woods. Where did you learn to be so gritty?"
"I-I went to a good finishing school," she said, being flippant because it didn't do to let anything he said get too embedded in her emotions.
"It could have been Sandhurst from the way you're taking all this," he quipped. "They'd have presented you with a jewelled Sword of Honour. I think you get it from your father, eh?"
She nodded. "I very much hope so--as your son probably gets his drive from you."
"Aren't we being nice to each other?" he mocked. "D'you reckon this was the local courting hut?"
"I-I hope not." She backed away from him, and immediately he broke into a gruff laugh.
"Ease up, little one. I'm just damn glad that you aren't a dumb bunny, for amusing as they are, it would be hell right now to be stuck with a gal like that."
"I thought men liked the dumb and compliant type of female?"
[82-83] "It's a myth, Eve. Men like common sense, especially in a tight spot. That's how Mr. Churchill won his war--the women held on and didn't panic, even when the roof caved in and they went on knitting socks under the kitchen table. Quite a people, the Cockneys."
"They're your people, aren't they?" she said.
"On my mother's side. She worked a vegetable barrow on the sunny side of the Chapel Street market in Islington. Tall, vital brunette, with plenty of nerve and lots of friendly chat. Went and married a nogood Irishman with too much charm, who ran out on her and left her with me to bring up. She did okay, until she caught a bad chill one winter day and never recovered from it. I was nine years old and placed in a State home, which is not to be confused with a stately one, and needless to say when the time came I took to the army like a stray duck taking to a millpond. It's all I've ever known--for a good long time, anyway."
"What about--I mean, there's your wife." It dismayed Eve that she always seemed to trip over her tongue whenever she mentioned his wife.
"Sure, but married quarters aren't bad," he drawled. "Soldiers move around a lot, especially ambitious ones who want stripes, and then crowns on the shoulder."
"Did she never mind your way of life?" Eve asked tentatively.
"Mind?" There was a crystal hardness to his voice. "When a woman marries a serving man she had to accept his way of life--it's as simple as that."
It sounded uncompromising and far from tender, and Eve say the adamant set to his jaw as he went across the hut and affixed the candle to one of the fire stones, so that the flame was out of the draught of the doorway.
[83-84] "Let's get ourselves settled," he said curtly. "I'd better get some water boiled for our tea before the rain comes down. You lay out the blanket and take a look at those few cans of food we've got left. I believe one of them has pork and ham in it, and we might as well make a fuss of ourselves--I meant to have got you to Tanga, damn careless fool that I am!"
"No, you can't take all the blame, Wade." Eve caught at his arm before she could prevent herself and there in the flickering shadows cast by the candle they looked at each other . . . she could feel the tension biting into him, and a dark groove had fixed itself between his eyebrows. "I disobeyed an order of yours, Major, and that's why we're in this predicament. I bet I'd be in the glasshouse if this were our barracks."
He smiled briefly. "Female discipline bears no relation to the masculine sort. I can't expect you to think and react like a recruit being trained for the regiment--you're far too female for that."
"All the same, I bet you'd like to give me a good hard shake."
"Sure," he agreed, "until your milk teeth rattle. But what a good thing for you I've had a kid of my own and know how mettlesome the young can be--you'd like him, Eve. He's a good-looking young pup--takes after my mother for his looks."
"Oh, I'd have said--" She broke off almost shudderingly, seeing beneath the dark stubble, the sun-lined skin, the erosion of his own youth, a face that made her heart give a jolt. She felt as if she had just saved herself on the edge of a precipice, and she moved back carefully away from the precipitous edge and bent over his knapsack, taking a deep breath of recovery as she took [84-85] out the army blanket and began to unwind it.
Eve was glad when he went outside and began to gather wood for a fire. Oh Lord, how easy for someone inexperienced to suddenly feel the potent, overpowering charm of a man so much older, who had seen and done things she could only guess at. He had killed, made love, known what it was like to have a child of his own placed in his arms. Eve saw the need to fight against the attraction he had for her, but how was she going to manage it, thrown together as they had been, in the primitive heart of the African jungle?
She flattened the blanket out carefully on the floor she wished she could have swept and scrubbed. There were webs up there in the bamboo lathes of the ceiling, and she knew there were things crawling about in the dark corners of the hut. With resolution, she shut her mind to them and set about laying out biscuits on the plates and opening the tin of pork and ham. It smelled good and she felt her stomach react hungrily, but until Wade brought in the tea she left the meat in the tin and fitted the lid back on, just in case a fly or a crawly came to investigate that delicious aroma.
She went ahead to the knapsack, for in her exploration she had come upon Wade's shaving-mirror and was curious to see how she looked after a day of scrambling about in the jungle. A scarecrow, that was the only word that adequately described her appearance. Dark red hair tangled, a scratch on her forehead where a branch had whipped at her, eyes enormous and filled with a hundred uncertain questions. As for her clothes--they were just about fit for the rag-bag! Oh well, it couldn't be helped, but she had to make her hair a bit tidier before sitting down to supper.
[85-86] Untying her plaid bundle, she found the comb, a good tortoise[محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]l one, thank goodness, and began to tug it vigorously through the sweat-knotted tangles . . . the days of luxury shampoos in a Bond Street salon seemed a thousand moons ago. There she had sat, an idle, smartly clad, bored young debuntante, glancing through a magazine and swinging a well-shod foot . . . undreaming that one dusky night she would find herself sharing a primitive mud hut with a black-haired mercenary twenty years her senior, who wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet through her head if they were fallen upon by bloodthirsty rebels.
Eve stared into her bundle and her fingers closed on the expensive crystal atomiser she had been unable to resist, through Wade had told her not to lumber herself with anything that wasn't necessary. But then Major O'Mara most definitely wasn't a woman!
With a tiny smile she squeezed the atomiser and felt the perfume cool and fragant against her skin . . . mmmm, that was lovely, irresistible, a breath of civilization in the midst of the untamed. Feeling a little tidier, she went outside the hut to see how Wade was coping. The kettle was bubbling away on the homemade hob, but Wade was nowhere in sight and Eve felt a clutch of alarm, her own hand pressing itself to her throat.
What an idiot she was! No one would carry Wade off without one hell of a struggle, so he had probably gone scouting for more wood, and was checking to see that it was safe to camp here for the night. The rain was coming down a little harder now, hitting against the hot fire stones and making them sizzle. The rain was welcome against Eve's skin, and way up there [86-87] in the density of the sky she could see unbelievable groupings of stars. When the rain increased they would be blotted out, but for the moment she could enjoy their beauty . . . she tensed as she caught the sound of someone moving in the bush that crowded to the back of the hut.
"Wade?"
No deep voice answered her, and Eve felt a prickling of her scalp, a sensation of fear like cold bony fingers creeping down her spine. She also smelled an aroma that blotted out the Tabu perfume she had sprayed on herself . . . it was a powerful smell of an alley where cats had freely roamed. It wafted towards Eve and she felt herself gagging, she prepared to flee into the hut . . .
"Don't make a single move!"
Wade's voice was so soft it was almost a whisper, but there was a command in it which she instantly obeyed, freezing into stillness as his tall figure advanced across the compound, with the Breda in a firing position.
Then the rustling sound came again and the next instant that strong ammoniac smell was gone, and Wade was between Eve and whatever lurked in the bush.
"A female leopard on the hunt," he said quietly. "I'm glad you had the nerve to stand perfectly still. Those creatures react very swiftly, and mostly out of fear of the unknown. Your scent was probably as acute to that cat as hers was to you."
"Thanks," Eve said shakily. "I hope I don't smell like a back alley where all the cats have been prowling."
He laughed in his brief way and lowered the Breda. Then he suddenly leaned close to her and sniffed at her hair. "That isn't cat--smells more like the perfume counter at Woolsworths."
[87-88] "It covers up some of the sweat," she said defensively.
"Putting on perfume in the jungle!" he jeered. "Is it for my benefit?"
"No, it isn't! My morale needed a boost."
"What's it called? Seduction?"
"No!" She moved sharply away from his taunting tallness, and went to pass him, only to be blocked by his suddenly flung out arm.
"Scents usually have names, don't they? Put me wise."
"It's called Tabu, if you must know. Now let's have supper."
"Tabu, as in don't touch or the gods will send down thunder?"
"It's raining harder and we're both getting wet--and I'm hungry."
"Don't try anything on with me, Eve, for this is no garden of Eden we're alone in." He grated the words. "We're both made of human stuff, but we've got to keep this strictly on a rescue operations level so that there'll be no regrets on your side or mine when, and if, you make it home to the boy-friend. Understand me?"
"I--I wasn't even thinking about you when I applied the perfume." She was shocked by what he had said, and then she felt her temper flare and she had to say things that would hurt him if possible, the way he had hurt her, turning something innocent into the act of a wanton. "As you've pointed out, Major O'Mara, you're old enough to be my father, and I'd want my head tested if I started throwing myself at you! Sweaty, unshaven, with the brutal tongue of a trooper! [88-89] I should hope I was a bit more fastidious, thank you!"
"That's more like it, girl. You keep on hating my guts and we'll get alone just fine." He gave her a slight push toward the hut, for the rain was whipping at them, plastering their hair into wet jags and running in drops down their faces.
"Don't shove me!" Her eyes flamed into his. "Chauvinistic brute!"
"Right, if you want to get wet, that's your lookout." He swung the kettle off the fire and went inside with it, leaving her to stand fuming in the rain hungry for her supper, but mortified by his assumption that she had scented herself like a tart in order to arouse his sensual feelings. Oh, damn and blast him, why hadn't she let him make room for her on the plane forcibly, so that she could have flown to Tanga with the nuns? Now she was benighted with him in the middle of a jungle, and she had to endure the rough edge of his tongue, and his insults.
Eve blinked the rain off her lashes and felt her shirt clinging to her shoulders . . . letting herself get soaked like this was ridiculous, and she marched into the hut, where an aroma of strong tea mingled with the smell of the pork and ham, which she had sliced and laid on the plates.
"We don't have to quarrel." He indicated that she sit down on the blanket. "Come on, where's your smile?"
"Seems like I've lost it," she rejoined, and she sat down as far away as possible from his lounging figure.
"I hope you haven't lost your appetite." Wade held out her plate and she accepted it with a mutter of thanks. They settled down to eat and drink, while [89-90] the rain hissed on the thatch roof above them, and the trees thrashed and whined in the rising wind outside in the wet night.
"A bit of luck finding this rondavel," he drawled. "It wouldn't have been pleasant having to spend the night in the rain. I have a packet of fruit and nuts if you'd like some?"
"No, thanks." She gazed across the hut away from him. "I've had all I want."
"Sulky females are a pain in the neck." He lounged back on his elbow and picked biscuit crumbs off the blanket. "I can't make you out. Surely you're woman enough to know that this isn't exactly the place or the time to try a bit of teasing? I might be a lot older than you, but I'm still capable."
"I'm sure you are," she said coldly. "But it never entered my head to tease you--I felt scruffy and sticky and scent's a good cover up. They used it enough in the old days, when bathing wasn't all that popular."
Eve still wouldn't look at him, but she could feel his eyes upon her profile, intent and steely.
"Is it possible you're so innocent?" he drawled.
She scorned to answer him, tilting her nose and giving her attention to the persistent sound of the rain. Suddenly she shivered and without comment he arose and placed across the doorway the rather battered leaf-woven screen meant for that purpose. It was primitive but it served, shutting out most of the draught that had been blowing in. The hut had been stuffy at first, but now Eve was glad that the cold had been blocked out.
"That better?" he asked, starting to roll himself a cigarette, the shadows made by the candle flickering [90-91] over his lean face and making his bones seem harshly defined. In order to save a match he bent to the candle flame and lit his cigarette, and Eve resented his air of being at no one's beck and call, least of all a woman's. But she had to accept his orders, and his sardonic reprimands . . . even those she hadn't earned.
"The real trouble with you," he said, "is that you're tired and edgy and just a bit scared."
"Not of you," she assured him, and watching his keen enjoyment of his after-supper smoke she wished she had accepted his offer of a few nuts and raisins. She curled down on the blanket with her head at rest on her plaid bundle, feeling herself go taut when Wade came and stood over her.
"No, not of me, you've too much spirit for that." He gestured towards the doorway and ash fell from his cigarette. "It's all that jungle out there and how we're going to find our way out of it. Look, I'm going to make a suggestion that you may not care for, but I think it's a good one. I believe we're fairly close to a stream or even a river--now listen, every now and again you hear a tree crash in the rain, don't you?"
She nodded and wondered why his suggestion, when it came, wasn't going to appeal to her . . . was it going to be so awful? Was he going to leave her here and go off on his own to look for a way out?
"I--I know I hold you up in these sandals," Eve was up on her knees and her eyes were pleading with him, "but don't leave me here, please! I'd be terrified--"
"What are you talking about?" He leant down and took her by the chin, his eyes searching her scared face. "Leave you here--no, you've got it all wrong, lady. Those trees you hear falling are coming loose from the [91-92] soil, their roots being the sort that travel along the ground instead of under it and some of those trees are all but hollow. If we're near a river than I'm suggesting that I build us a boat and we continue our journey by water. We're bound to land up--"
"A boat?"
"A canoe." He knelt down facing her and his eyes were eager. "I have the panga and the blade is a good sharp one, so I should have no problem shaping out a canoe and making a paddle. It will be better on the water than slogging through the jungle, and there's always a food supply on hand in the shape of fish. The only problem is that it would probably take me about a week to tackle the job, and we'd have to stay here in the rondavel--take a chance on it."
Eve stared at him and could feel her heart pounding. "You're serious, aren't you?" she said.
He nodded. "To be quite frank with you, lady, I don't think you'd last out very much longer in the jungle. When your repellent runs out, you'll be bitten unmercifully, and in those sandals you're feet will soon be wrecked. If I take the time to make us a canoe, you can ride on the water, you can eat fish and keep up your mineral strength--fish is a marvelous food, probably the best, even catfish, who look as ugly as sin but make darn good cod-like steaks, baked over a fire. Well, what do you say? Are you with me?"
"Have I a choice?"
He smiled at the edge of his mouth and had a look of cool-eyed recklessness. "Not really, Eve. For your own sake, you've got to fall in with my idea."
"Even though it will be risky to stay on here?" she asked.
[92-93] "Even so."
Eve let her gaze rest on his hard, determined jaw. She felt his vigorous strength of will . . . his ability to survive against alarming odds. He was right about her, a few more days like today in the jungle and she'd keel over, a bundle of helpless misery he might just manage to carry on his back for a while.
"All this depends on whether we're near a river," she said. "What if we aren't?"
"Then we have no choice but to trek on."
"Then let's keep our fingers crossed, Major."
He nodded and for a moment his teeth were bared in a half-savage smile. "If they taught you prayer at that mission, then say a prayer tonight, before you drop off to sleep. Say a couple, one for each of us."
"Don't you ever pray?" she asked.
"Me?" He ground the stub of his cigarette into one of the empty plates. "The angels don't listen to wicked men like me, lady." And it was as he spoke that a resounding clap of thunder shook the hut, and shook loose something from the overhead lathes. It fell near Eve and ran across her legs, trailing a long thin tail. She shrieked and cowered away, while Wade leapt in pursuit of the rodent, swinging aside the woven screen so the palm rat was able to streak out into the pelting rain, lit by vivid flashes of lightning that illuminated the tall shapes of the trees.
"Oh God!" Eve flung her hands over her face, not so much from fear of the rat but from her own terrified reaction. She had never been one of those females who swooned at the sight of rats, bats or mice, for she had been brought up in the country, and the stables and attics of her guardian's house were harbours for all sorts [93-94] of things that crept and crawled and went bump in the night--Lake House was even supposed to have its own ghost--but just now she had felt her nerves give way and it had frightened her.
She couldn't stop shaking, and abruptly Wade pulled her against him and pressed her head to his shoulder. "I know, kid," he murmured, "you're having a rough time for the first time in your life, but you're doing fine, believe me. Rats aren't pretty, but they're less dangerous than the two-legged variety of bête noire."
"I--I'm not usually so jumpy, a--and I've seen rats before," she said raggedly. "You must think me an awful baby."
"I think you what you are [sic], a young girl caught up in a tricky situation you've never had to face before." He held her and rocked her a little, and right through her shirt Eve could feel the hard warmth of his hand.
"I think I'd go crazy if you weren't here with me," she said, then she jumped again as there came another loud peal of thunder followed by the nerve-wrenching crash as a large tree suddenly lost its grip in the mud and keeled over . . . like a felled giant.
"Want to try a jigger of whisky?" he asked. "I've a small flask of it and I've been saving it for an emergency."
"But this isn't an emergency, Major. I'm just being--childish."
"Well, I fancy a snort, and I insist you join me." He let her go, giving her shoulder a reassuring pat . . . being fatherly, she told herself, even though she felt reactions to his touch that were not those of a daughter.
"I never realised that the jungle could be so--so fearful." She crouched there with her arms about herself, [94-95] while incessant peals of thunder rumbled around the hut, and a cataract of rain drummed down on the roof. Lightning ripped like claws at their doorway and through the chinks she saw a reddish flare as a tree or a bush was struck, breaking into flame that was just as quickly smothered by the downpour.
"The jungle's very much alive, Eve." He unscrewed the flask and measured the spirit into the tea mug. "Anything alive can cause fear, anguish and alarm--here, drink this and let it settle your nerves."
She accepted the mug and took a tentative sip at the whisky. It was strong and she had never cared for the taste, but she knew it would help her get rid of the shakes. He nodded and gave her an intent look when she handed him the empty mug. "It's smoothing out the creases already, eh?"
Eve nodded and watched him toss back his own measure of whisky. His black hair looked as if it hadn't seen a comb for days, and his unshaven jaw gave him the look of a convict on the run. Eve suddenly laughed and couldn't stop herself.
"That's better," he drawled. "I can deal with the giggles, but a woman's tears are someting else."
"You wouldn't be so amused if you knew what I was thinking," she said.
"You're dying to tell me, so why not indulge yourself?"
"You look a fearful roughneck, Major O'Mara. I'm wondering what you look like when you've had a shave."
"I may give you that pleasure in the morning, young Eve." He replaced his flask in the knapsack and began to brush out the blanket so they could settle down for the night. "Tomorrow, all being well, we'll take a look [95-96] around our zona inexplorada and see what it has to offer."
He gnawed a moment on his lip with his firm teeth. "Let's hope I'm right about that river--I've got a feeling I am, for it isn't unusual to find a native settlement within reach of one. Offer up a small prayer to Ngai, just to be on the safe side."
He rolled the mosquito netting around her, for suddenly she had grown very sleepy and was drowsily aware of him leaning over her for a moment. "Sleep deep and forget everything," he advised. "Make pretend you're in your flounced fourposter at the family mansion."
"I'd really need a vivid imagination for that." She smiled, the lids of her eyes weighted with exhaustion. "I never even shared my fourposter with a replica of Humphrey Bogart, though I thought about it after seeing Casablanca."
The white teeth glimmered above her in the dark face, and already half-asleep, she wasn't certain if he brushed at the tumbled hair on her temples.

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  
قديم 26-08-07, 10:15 PM   المشاركة رقم: 8
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER SIX
When Eve crawled out of her warm nest of plaid robe and netting, she saw that the hut was empty and was about to panic when she breathed a drift of woodsmoke and realised that Wade was just outside, probably getting breakfast. Yawning and stretching, she wandered out into the hazy morning sunlight, to find the kettle on the fire, and Wade busily lathering his chin. He had attached his shaving-mirror to a branch and was stripped of his shirt, his trousers belted against his firm brown body.
Eve caught the scrape of the blade through the strong growth of beard and she had a feeling he was watching her through the mirror.
"You had a good night," he said. "Slept sound as an infant in its cot, even though the thunder kept on for quite a while."
"I do feel rested," she said, and glanced about the compound, where moisture was still dripping from the surrounding trees. Over everything there hung the scent of wet foliage, and there was a busy chattering and whistling in the bush. "What are we having for breakfast?"
"How about smoky bacon, with eggs and toast?" he drawled.
"Don't torture me," she groaned. "It looks as if we'll have to make do with smoky beans straight from the can.
[97-98] "Eve," he turned to face her with half his face shaven clean, "aren't you curious that we have water in the kettle? Last night the water-bottle was empty, this morning it's full."
"You mean--?"
He nodded, the sun on the warm coppery gleam of his skin. Eve felt a sudden tumult of her pulses, an awareness of her own scarecrow appearance.
"A river," she breathed. "That means we can bathe and catch fish and be a little civilised!"
"Later on," he agreed. "But right after breakfast I want to explore the village for any useful implements, and I want to take a look at the trees around here. There's also the chance that when the villagers ran off they left behind them a few vegetables in their patches of cultivated ground. Can you see to the tea while I finish off my face?"
"Yes, bwana." Eve was suddenly optimistic, and she liked the feel of the sunlight on her face as she set about making breakfast for them. Wade was tough and tantalising, and he could be diamond-hard when he chose, but given half a chance he'd make that boat and they'd get away on the water without having to take their chance in the jungle. She felt like singing, and compromised by whistling to herself as she opened the beans, replaced the lift halfway and set the can carefully on the fire stones.
This wasn't such a bad place to camp in for a while, not if she kept her mind firmly closed to images of wild-eyed rebels through the bush, coming so suddenly that Wade didn't have time to reach for his Breda. She shot him a look and saw that he was wiping the soap from his face; the shotgun was close at hand, leaning against [98-99] the tree on which his mirror was suspended.
She felt reassured, and then he turned to look at her and as their eyes met across the clearing Eve felt a sudden weakness in her limbs. It was the first time she had seen him clean-shaven and for a moment he was a stranger, the roughneck replaced by a man of lean distinction, who in full officer's uniform would look . . . dashingly attractive.
Suddenly she felt rather shy of him and could feel an irregularity in her breathing as he swung his Breda on to his bare coppery shoulder and began to stroll across to her. Clad only in his khaki trousers there was a supple rippling of hard muscle under the sun-darkened skin, and Eve felt a stab of physical reaction that made her clench her teeth. She hadn't known that awareness of a man could be so potent, like a heady gulp of wine followed by an alarming mixture of weakness and elation; added to which was the scared feeling that he was going to guess how she felt.
With an effort of will she managed to sound insouciant. "Tea's up, and the beans are smoking, and do take a look at those little gold-breasted birds flying about. Are they canaries?"
"Probably a wild species." He rested the shotgun and gazed down at her, his lip quirking. "Well, do you think I look a trifle more civilised now my bristles are gone?"
"Don't tantalise me with your manly beauty," she said demurely. "This isn't the garden of Eden we're lost in."
"Touché." There was a grating amusement in his drawl. "Glad to see you're back on form and aren't letting this situation get you down."
"Sunshine and bird-calls, and hot sweet tea, can do [99-100] wonders for the morale, Major. I'm making believe I'm on a camping trip with a local scoutmaster."
He caught her gaze and made an intent search of her eyes, then he added approvingly, "I wouldn't have taken much of a bet on a high-society gal making much of a companion in adversity, but you're proving me wrong, aren't you?"
"So far," she said, handing him his share of the tea. "Last night I lost a good mark, but the rat took me by surprise. Normally I don't squeal like that, and I've seen plenty of rats and bats at Lake House."
"The guardian's country seat, I take it?"
"Yes, in Essex. I've boated on the lake, so I should be able to do my share of the paddling when you get the canoe ready for launching."
On the smooth waters, perhaps." He leaned down to slide the can of beans off the fire. "But some of these rivers run into rapids--we'll wait and see how things go. Take care with this sauce, it's hot."
They tucked into their beans and only had a couple of biscuits each, for they were fast running out of them and they had to substitute for a longed-for slice of bread.
He had brought back enough water for Eve to be able to wash her face and hands, after which she applied the hateful repellent. Wade washed his shirt in the one-legged iron pot and hung it on a bush to dry in the sun. "Let's hope a monkey doesn't run off with it," he said, and they stood a moment watching the agile chimps flinging themselves about in the high trees, chattering and showing their teeth to the pair of human beings. Suddenly something bounced down hard near Wade's feet, and he bent to pick up the object. It was a large coconut!
[100-101] "Manna from the monkeys," Wade said delightedly. He shook the nut and the liquid inside swished about. "Well, if we can find a few more of these, we'll have coconut meat and milk to supplement our diet. Fancy a piece right now?"
"No, I'll have some later on, but you go ahead."
"No, I'll wait as well. I'm eager to have a look round this place and do some scavenging." He went into the hut and put the nut away with their dwindling supplies of food, and then together they searched the ruins of the other huts but found nothing that was still usable, but they were lucky enough to find some patches of cultivation where upon scraping with his hands Wade unearthed several large, knobbly-looking yams, some wild spinach, and cobs of corn.
They were congratulating themselves on this little crock of eatables, when to their astonishment they heard a gobbling sound from among the bushes and the next instant a turkey came pecking its way into the yard where they were standing. It cocked an eye at them, and then went on thrusting its yellow beak in and out of the dirt, where there must have been some stray corn seed.
Wade caught Eve's glance and his eyes cautioned her not to move and startle the bird, which despite its rather scrawney appearance could provide them with a couple of square meals. Eve wasn't chicken-hearted, but she had never been right on the scene when a bird for the table had had its neck wrung, but she knew from the look on Wade's face that he was about to do just that the instant he got his hands on the turkey.
He leapt, there was a wild squawk, a flutter of feathers, and Eve turned away as the powerful hands did their work. Why would he hesitate? She had to re-[101-102]member all the time that Wade had killed men just as easily and efficiently; that he had given himself to warfare as a monk to religion.
"You can open your eyes," he drawled. "And think of it like this, if I'm going to build a boat I need to have my strength built up."
"It's just that a minute ago the poor thing was pecking away without a care in the world, and now--" Now the limp body hung from Wade's hand and there wasn't even the remotest look of compunction in the steel-grey eyes that met Eve's.
"We have to eat," he said curtly. "There isn't a supermarket round the corner where the frozen poultry is stacked in its container, having come from the battery farm where those poor things never get a chance to peck about in a yard. You'll enjoy your drumstick as much as I shall, along with baked beans and some of these greens. A solid meal will do wonders for both of us."
"I know that, but you're so--"
"Is ruthless the word you're searching for, Eve?"
"Not quite, but you are unmercifully efficient when it comes to the crunch, aren't you?"
"I've had to be, lady. In Malaya, Cyprus, Belfast--and out here. He who hesitates is a goner. Now let's take this helpful hoard of food to the hut and then we'll take a look at some of those trees that fell in the storm last night."
"Can't you take me to the river while you have a look round in the jungle?" she asked, carrying greens and corncobs in her arms as they made their way back to the hut. "It will be cooler there and after all that rain there'll be swarm [sic] of insects among the trees."
"The trouble is, young Eve, when you get near water [102-103] you're inclined to lose your head, not to mention your pants. Can I trust you to be good? Sometimes these rivers run an undertow and I don't want to see you drowned now I've got you this far in one piece."
build a boat I need to have my strengt "I'll be as good as gold," she promised eagerly. "I can read that book you put in your knapsack, and you can get on with your--work."
"Don't we sound domesticated?" he jeered. "Right, if you're going to behave yourself, then you can sit by the river and read. Are you wearing a watch?"
"Yes, but it's stopped. I forgot to take it off when I took a bath in the creek."
"That's what you get for being too eager." He marched ahead of her into the hut and proceeded to tear a chunk of the mosquito netting so he could wrap the turkey until he had time to pluck it. They placed the vegetables in the iron pot, and Eve asked him if she might borrow his book.
"You're welcome," he said. "It's a Carter Dickson, but don't you dare tell me the ending."
"He's good, isn't he? Thanks." She caught the book as Wade tossed it. Then he came over and thrust something else into her hand--a packet of nuts and raisins.
"They'll keep up your vitality." He stood looking down at her, and then, casually, he pushed a stray lock of hair back from her eyes. "You do realise, Eve, that we're in the middle of a revolt and there may come a moment when I shall have to do to a man what I did to that bird? Out here you do it silently if you can, because a shot can be heard a long way off, and you get the stray rebel who breaks away from the rest, pillaging on his own, or attempting to get back to his family. One of those could come along, so I'm warning you to be [103-104] on the alert. I'd really prefer to have you where I can keep my eye on you--"
"I'll be all right," she said quickly. "I'm not going to think about the black side of things, because that only turns my stomach over and makes me feel nervous."
"Right. I want to spend at least a couple of hours in the bush and get in as much work as possible, for I shall have to make a rope to tow the tree to the river bank. I shall need the panga, so I'm going to trust you with the Breda. Here, take hold of it, it shouldn't be too heavy."
Eve hesitated, then took the shotgun and found it warm from Wade's skin. "Am I supposed to use it?" she asked.
"It will give you a feeling of security. If you see anything move, then you get to me as fast as you can. You'll know where I am, for you'll hear me slashing about with the panga, cutting off branches from the tree and chopping down vines to make a rope. Keep alert, Eve. Don't get too carried away by the thriller."
She smiled, and again was struck by the feeling of being so far from all the civilised aspects of her life that they seemed impossibly unreal--lunch with a girlfriend in a Sloane Square bistro, a wander around an art gallery, and maybe a spin into the country for tea-time tennis. None of it bore any relation to what was happening here, two people struggling for existence in a jungle full of dangers that could strike at them without warning.
The river wasn't wide, but it was running at a good pace, and Eve settled down on the plaid robe for a rub, beneath the shade of some canopy banyans. "A little taste of laleia, eh?" Wade said, looking about him with [104-105] keen eyes, though she felt that it wasn't the flamboyant butterflies he was watching.
"Laleia?"
"Paradise--Eden." He spoke quizzically, but when he looked down at her there was something in his eyes she couldn't quite fathom. "But don't let it fool you, remember the story of that other Eve and what she found lurking behind a tree."
He shot a glance at his watch. "You can stay here an hour, and then the sun will be high, right above you, and you'll come to me, do you hear?"
"Yes, bwana," she said meekly.
"And keep your ears peeled."
"I will."
"Um, now I've got to get to work." He weighed the panga in his hand. "What a stroke of luck they taught me carpentry at that orphanage--carpentry and killing, the requisites of the old pioneers. That's what I feel like, right now--a pioneer about to tackle a bit of husbandry."
Eve smiled, but her pulses had given an alarming jump, as if he realised that he had said something a little too meaningful, he turned curtly away from her. "Be careful, be good," he said, and a few seconds later he had gone among the sombre towering trees and the green curtains of foliage that fell into place behind his tall figure, the big leaves folding together to intensify Eve's sudden sense of isolation. She chewed a nut and gazed thoughtfully across the river, listening to the sound of birds . . . feeling her drumming heart as it slowly quietened down.
It could have been laleia, she thought, had there been no rebellion to fear, no other woman to remember, [105-106] she and Wade alone, letting nothing matter except that he had become her world, the vital heart of it, where nothing would exist but the excitement, the heaven and hunger of being in his arms.
It was a tumultuous truth she could only face for a moment, and then she pushed it resolutely out of mind and bent over the paperback, glad to find that the story was set in London of the pre-war days, when parts of Holborn had been very mysterious. In a while Eve became absorbed in the story, carried away by the mastery of the storyteller . . . it was a sudden sense of quiet rather than a sound that touched a warning finger to the base of her spine, sending a shiver through her.
She glanced up slowly, her fingers clenching on the book. The tiny hairs on the nape of her neck were prickling and she sensed instantly that something was standing behind her, ominously still for the moment, but poised to come at her. Her nostrils quivered, but there was no catlike aroma to warn her that a leopard was close to her, so that any sudden movement would be fatal. And she had to turn and look . . . she couldn't just sit here and be pounded upon.
As Eve turned to look, she clutched the Breda and felt the sudden moistness of her hands.
Dark eyes were fixed upon her, raking over her with an intent she understood with sickening clarity . . . then he began to move towards her, and Eve knew she must use the Breda and blast him before he got to her. She raised it and it suddenly felt as heavy as lead . . . he stood still a moment, the thick lips leering back from the white teeth. It was like one of those awful slow-motion dreams, and then she had her finger on the bolt [106-107] and was forcing herself to pull it back and release the lead into his face, for it was his face that was so frightening.
The gun fired and the butt kicked hard against her shoulder, but the bullet had flown wild and before she could fire again he was upon her and was wrenching the Breda away from her. Eve felt a terror beyond anything she had ever known . . . as a scream ripped from her, he had hold of her and she smelled his sour body odour and saw him swinging the butt of the gun at her head, and even as she ducked he gave a strange liquid cry, his eyes seemed to bulge from their sockets, and then he fell as if pole-axed and Eve saw the knife with its steel blade buried deep in his back, high up where his spine was joined to his neck.
"You okay, lady?" Wade was bending over her, helping her to her feet. She swayed from reaction and was caught to Wade's body, gripped so painfully hard that she almost lost her breath. They stayed like that for several long moments, while the flurried movements of the birds and monkeys settled down until the most persistent sound was that of the flies drawn to that silent form that lay face down on the riverbank, the back of the combat jacket darkly stained where the knife jutted.
"I--I'm a rotten shot," Eve said shakily. "But thank God you heard the gun going off."
"I suppose you got lost in that darn thriller." He pressed her to him, as if to instil some of his warmth and strength into her. "Now forget about it, honey, it's over and done with--"
"He came up on me like an animal," she said, shuddering. "He was upon me almost before I could grab the gun, then my shot went wild a--and all I could see [107-108] was that awful, savage face--another second and he'd have split my head open."
Then, driven beyond a force she couldn't control, Eve suddenly flung her arms about Wade's neck and reached for his face with her lips. She felt the tough skin and bone of him, and then he was gripping her hands and forcing her away from him. "There's no need for that," he said, roughly. "I've got to shift this hog out of the way before every fly in the jungle comes buzzing around."
"You saved my life," she said simply.
"It's what I'm paid to do," he rejoined, then bending over the dead body of the insurgent he began to go through his pockets. Eve gnawed her knuckles and gazed down at Wade's dark head . . . there was no way to stop what she was feeling for him, for it was right inside her. She watched as he drew out something from one of the pockets of the stained combat jacket and carefully examined it, then with a smile that slashed lines in his brown face he glanced up at Eve.
"This maverick's been following the river route to the coast--see, his map! It bears out my feeling that we couldn't go far wrong if we continued by canoe, but are you still prepared for that? I need time to build the boat, but now we have this map we could trek it, if that's what you want?"
"It's for you to decide, Wade." She wanted to get away from this place right now, and would have been happy had he decided to pack up then and there. "Are you going to be able to build the canoe?"
"Sure, there's no problem, but I need a few days to do it in, and this nasty customer might have put you off the idea of staying here while I work on the boat."
[108-109] "I'm not that feeble," she protested, and pushed down inside her the urge to get away without any delay. "And you know what's best."
"It would be best for you, Eve, to travel by canoe. And there's food around here, and several wild fruit trees. We can stock up on supplies, and if it's any consolation I'll let you go bathing later on, when the sun cools down a bit."
"Thanks," she said drily, every fly in the jungle and watched as he dragged the rebel into the bush, followed by that gauze of flies. He was gone about ten minutes, and when he returned the knife was back in his belt, and his black hair was damply tousled on his forehead. "I've stripped the body and buried the clothes," he said. "Later on the leopards will make short work of that carcase, and what's left the smaller animals will devour. Now let's see about our own lunch--d'you fancy some baked fish and yams roasted in the fire until their skins crackle?"
Eve stared at him, still deeply shaken herself, but aware that for him the business of killing the enemy was an everyday matter, and her gaze followed him to the river, when he haunched down and cleared his hands in the water, resting there a moment while the sun dried them.
"We'll head back to camp and get the fish basket and I'll bait it with that piece of pork fat out of the beans. We might be lucky enough to entice a catfish into the trap."
"Catfish?" she echoed, pulling a face.
"What were you expecting, blue mountain trout?" He swung the Breda on to his shoulder and they entered the dim tunnel of trees that led in the direction of the hut. "A catfish steak can be very tasty, and you'll [109-110] be asking the head waiter at the Ritz to put it on the menu when you get back to London."
"London seems a million miles away," she murmured. "Only this seems real, and I can't seem to imagine any more what it's like to sit in a restaurant aimlessly eating a lot of high-priced food and talking a lot of flippant nonsense about life. I don't think I shall ever be the sort of person that I was--I don't want to be, not after this experience."
"You say that now, Eve, but when you get back to civilisation you'll soon forget your jungle ordeal with a roughneck soldier of fortune."
"I don't want to forget a single detail," she protested. "Nor do I think of you as a roughneck."
"Come again, lady." The jeering note came back into his voice. "Don't go pinning a medal of good conduct on me because I saved your sweet neck. It's all in the line of duty."
"You can be cynical about it, Wade, but you can't stop me from being grateful to you. You'll never know how frightened I was!"
"Of course I know how you felt, having that brute creep up on you, but don't let the gratitude get all sugared up with hearts and flowers. We're alone together in a dicey situation and I can do without a girl your age getting the idea that it might be romantic to live dangerously with a man in the thousand-tree house."
"The thousand-tree house?" she echoed.
"The jungle, roofed over as it is by the tall trees laced together at their crowns to form almost a solid green ceiling. We aren't Tarzan and Jane, and don't you forget it. I've made no plans to live in the wilds with a high-society girl."
[110-111] "What are your future plans, Wade?" Eve was determined not to let him ruffle her feathers. She was alive because of him, and the very way he talked was an indication that he had a code of honour that made him even more of a hero in her eyes. It made her heart beat fast, admitting to herself that he had come to mean so much to her . . . a man whose way of life and commitments to his family meant that he could never be more than her jungle protector. There was nothing beyond Tanga but a parting of their ways.
"I never make plans," he told her. "A soldier doesn't go in for that kind of dicing with the gods. He just hopes there isn't a bullet with his name on it."
Eve felt a clutch of dismay deep inside her and wished she had the right to hold him fast and be the woman who come stop him from being a soldier.
"Oh, but you must have a dream in your heart," she said. "Everyone has a longing for something that will give them peace or pleasure or a sense of security. I bet you'd love a farm! A place in the country, with a couple of horses in the stable, some pigs and cows, and a few crop acres. Go on, Wade, tell me I'm wrong."
"Dreams are for the young," he rejoined, "and I mean to see that my son gets his dream. He exists because of me. He deserves to have a good life, and it's what I've fought for--killed for."
Wade looked down suddenly at Eve and his eyes were steely and uncompromising as the knife in his belt. "I've waded in slaughter--you just keep remembering that and you'll soon forget any foolish notion that I could reap and sow and be a farmer."
"I bet you'd love it," she argued.
"Love?" His face as hard as nails. "What would a young thing like you know about love? What would a [111-112] mercenary have in common with all the tender delights of loving anything?"
"There's your son--your wife," Eve said quietly. "Wouldn't they like to have you home all the time?"
"What is this?" he demanded. "It's like some damn interview for True Confessions!"
He marched ahead of her into the rondavel and found the fish basket and the piece of pork fat he had saved for bait. "You can stay here and do some tidying up," he said. "I shan't be too long, and this time keep your wits about you and keep the Breda close to hand. I don't think another insurgent can be hanging about or that gunshot would have flushed him out. I'll chop you off some of those big rubbery leaves and you can do a spot of sweeping out with them."
"All right," she said, and couldn't stop herself from casting a nervous look around the compound.
"To hell with it." His hand closed on her shoulder, his fingers pressing into her slight bones. "You can come with me to the river if you promise not to pester me with questions. My private life is none of your business, young lady, and if you'll bear that in mind, we'll get along."
"I'll stay here," she shook free of his hand. "The hut does need a sweep out if we're going to be using it for the next few days."
"Are you sure now?" He handed her the Breda. "If it gives you the willies to be here alone, then you say so."
"It's something I've got to get used to." Eve tilted her chin and gripped the gun. "I can't be at your elbow all the time you're working on the boat--men don't like that, do they? They like to get on with the job."
"What would you know about men, apart from that [112-113] honourable stick you're pledged to marry?" He suddenly smiled, a quirk of the lip and eyebrow. "Keep your pecker up and next time shoot straight at the body and
don't hesitate for a second. In this game, honey, it's them or us. Bye for now."
He marched off leaving her alone, but for several minutes she was unable to relax and just stood there, letting her eyes search every ruined mound where a hut had stood, every tree that cast a shadow in the sun. She listened to the monkeys chattering away, and to the birds calling and flying in the treetops. While there were animal sounds she could be fairly certain that nothing on two legs was creeping through the bush, but all the same it would be a long time before she banished from her mind that incident by the river.
She set to work on the hut, clearing out everything so she could give the floor and walls a thorough brush-down with the big leaves Wade had cut for her. They had thick stems and made quite serviceable brooms, and by the time she was finished quite a bit of the dirt had been swept outside and she had slaughtered several large insects.
During the course of her housework she would pause every so often and listen for those reassuring squeals and thrashings among the trees, and in a while she was actually laughing as one of the monkeys began to hurl big squashy bananas at her, red-skinned things that she didn't much like the look of. However, she decided to try one and found it eatable, if a trifle on the syrupy side.
The sun was really high now and she wiped a sleeve across her moist face. She longed for that bathe Wade had promised her, but she knew she must abide by his [113-114] decision that it would be best when the sun began to decline and the benefits of a bathe would be all the sweeter. To take a plunge while the sun was high would only mean that within a short while they'd both be sweating again.
He was an exasperating man, but he knew his way about in this tough, menacing world, and Eve smiled to herself as she sat on the bundle and chewed sweet banana. Sunshine splashed across the compound like hot rain, and she would have loved a drink of water, but knew it had to be boiled first and their fire was dead.
What would have been her reaction to him had they met in normal circumstances? At a party, say, where he strolled in looking dark and distinctive in a dinner-suit, immaculate poplin shirt and cummerbund, casting casual grey eyes around the room and letting them fasten upon her in a dress all frilled and floaty. Would he have noticed her? Would he have liked the Eve of those days, bandbox-fresh and not unattractive with her gay young mouth, and her skin looking creamy against the Titian glint of her hair?
But even had they met like that, there was still his wife in the background . . . the woman he was bound to, whom he seemed to avoid talking about. Had their marriage gone all wrong from the start, as forced marriages so often did? Was he resentful that she had caught him with the oldest trick in the book, inducing him to lose his head over her, letting herself fall for his child so he'd feel obliged to marry her?
Eve decided that Wade would resent being forced into a corner, but all the same he had stood by the woman he had married, and he obviously cared a great deal for his son. Did he carry a picture of Larry? Eve [114-115] longed to know. She longed to find out for herself if Wade's son resembled him.
She found herself staring at his knapsack, which she had propped against a tree. Had she time to take a look in his crocodile-skin wallet which he kept attached to his pouch of medications and other handy items by means of an elastic band? It seemed a sly thing to do, yet she was driven by a need not only to see a photograph of his son, but possibly one of his wife as well. With a quick-beating pulse she bent over the battered knapsack and undid the straps. Her hand went inside and rapidly located the oilskin pouch and wallet; she detached the wallet and opened the flap, searching inside with fingers that trembled. Her fingertips felt the edge of a snapshot and she drew it out . . . oh yes, this was Larry, and he was good-looking, with a shock of untidy black hair, keen, well-set eyes gazing directly ahead, and the lean, rather serious face of the student.
Wade's son . . . but much as she searched Eve couldn't find a snapshot of Wade's wife.
"What an inquisitive young lady you are, foraging about in a man's belongings when his back is turned! I'm sure you were brought up to be better-mannered than that."
Eve crouched by the knapsack and felt the hot embarrassment sweep over her. She was caught out and no mistake, and as she felt Wade take a stride and halt beside her, her nerves fluttered madly. "Did you find what you were looking for?" he drawled. He leaned down and plucked the photograph of Larry from her nerveless fingers. "Curious to find out if he was as good-looking as I said?"
[115-116] "He's a fine young man," Eve said huskily. "You must be very proud of him."
"He's the best part of me--what else were you searching for, lady? A portrait of my wife?"
Eve quivered as if the tip of a lash had flicked her skin, and involuntarily she glanced up at Wade. His teeth were bared for a moment in a half-savage smile, and as her face grew hot and pink the devil was agitated in his eyes.
"May I have my wallet?" he requested.
Silently she handed it to him and he replaced the snapshot of his son. "I'd have shown it to you had you asked," he said. "Fathers get a kick out of showing off their offspring to people."
"I--it was wrong of me to pry into your wallet," Eve said humbly. "I don't know what came over me."
"I think I know." He tucked the wallet away, and the next instant had hold of Eve by the wrist. "It had something to do with this." As he spoke he dragged her against him and she could feel his other hand gripping her so that her shirt was drawn up to expose her tingling spine. He plucked her close to him and took her shaking lips in a long punishing kiss . . . a kiss like no other she had ever experienced, so unrelenting that she felt her lips going molten under his mouth . . . felt a tumult of her senses that quickened into an excitement that made her clutch at him.
Hard and hungry grew the lips that searched her face, her neck, the strong hand cupping her head while he moved his mouth over her flushed skin, his other hand roaming her shoulders and moving down her back to where her body was bare.
He clasped her slenderness to every hard line of him [116-117] and seemed careless of all danger now he had her in his arms. Eve was shaken to the core by what she felt, and what she had aroused in him. He suddenly lifted her and seemed to be seeking a place to lay her down--coming to his senses the very next instant, his breath raking hot across her face.
"Get away from me!" He thrust her away from him, not roughly or cruelly, but firmly.
"Oh, Wade--" She just managed his name, and found herself leaning against a tree, while he stood dragging a hand across his face.
The static was still alive in her veins. She had felt a deep falling-through-time into a lush, heady sweetness she had wanted with all her body, every inch of her skin, every throb of her heart. Her lips were still burning as she drew her tongue around them.
"You live up to your name, don't you?" he growled. "You had to let yourself be tempted, and couldn't wait to let loose the devil in me. D'you think I'll let it happen a second time? Not on your sweet life I won't! If I get you to Tanga, I'll get you there intact and still innocent enough to fool your bridegroom."
"Y--you kissed me--" she said weakly.
"You were asking for it, and I'm not made of ironwood. Well, now you know what could happen to you, so from now on lay off being curious about my love life."
Eve lowered her eyes from his face and couldn't stop her gaze from dwelling on his hands clenched at his thighs. She had been held to the tempered steel of that lithe, jungle-toughened body . . . her heart was longing for more of him and he was thrusting her away and telling her to keep her distance.
[117-118] The ebbs and flows of passion had swept over her and she felt strangely weak and unlike herself. Her pulses leapt so unsteadily and her heart pounded so furiously, not even when the rebel had crept up on her had she felt this degree of agitation . . . this loss of self-possession, so that she hardly knew what to do with herself.
"What would it matter to anyone," she heard herself say, "if we made love?"
"It would matter, little one, if in your ineffable innocence you fell for a baby. Grow up, Eve!" His voice hardened. "If I made love to you, I'd go every inch of the way--I couldn't stop myself, with you!"
His eyes swept her up and down. "You're made for a youngster, all shining ideals and no dark shadows in his life. A boy you can have fun with, and grow up with eye to eye, without having to wonder about his past. Don't ask me to rob that boy by taking the frosting off his angel cake--I could do it, Eve, and then you'd learn all about the hell of regret."
"I'd regret nothing--with you," she said, her arms flung out at either side of her, her hands gripping the tree, something defenceless and yet enticing in the attitude she had taken, the neck of her green shirt pulled to one side to reveal the whiteness of her skin.
"You don't know what you're saying--you're talking like a foolish, romantic kid on her first date," he said, taking a deep hard breath and thrusting the black hair from his moist brow. "I saved your neck, so you feel you owe me something--you don't owe me a thing, Eve, least of all that sweet, innocent body of yours. Stop flaunting it! We've got other fish to fry--or should I say bake?"
[118-119] He turned away from her and began taking fish from the basket, which he had already cleaned and gutted down by the river. "Will you collect some dry wood so we can start the fire?" he said casually.
But she couldn't move, all she could do was say dreamily: "I don't care about anyone but you."
"What about my wife?" Wade asked, and it was as if he drove a knife into Eve. "What of my son? Don't they count when the pretty deb wants a new kind of toy to amuse herself with?"
"Oh, don't be cruel to me!" She flung out a hand in a gesture of defence against the way he wounded her.
"I'm being realistic. You're just giving way to a romantic urge. It's nothing more than that, but it's dangerous. Were you an experienced woman of the world, I'd probably take you and not care a tinker's curse, but you're half my age and you're in my charge. Sister Mercy knows it. That good nun left you in my keeping and I won't commit a blasphemy by breaking faith with her. Now collect that wood and stop mooning about. I'm darned hungry!"
Aching, desolate, Eve moved about on the edge of the compound collecting small branches of wood. It couldn't be true, could it, that she was never going to know again the passionate delight of finding herself in Wade's fierce embrace?
She wanted it, that sweet shuddering she couldn't control . . . that swooning into such an acute aliveness. She wanted to give herself to him, for there was no shining youth awaiting her in England, only marriage to James because her guardian wanted it. Why couldn't she have Wade for this little time that was left, and know at least what it felt like to belong to a real man?
[119-120] But she had come up against something inexorable in that hard, warrior's nature of his . . . his strange reverence for that big silver cross worn by Sister Mercy.
He'd crucify the pair of them rather than destroy the good nun's faith in him.
He had admitted that he was a Catholic, part of a faith that didn't recognise divorce. Eve was certain he didn't love his wife, but that wouldn't stop him from remaining her husband, no matter what he might feel for someone else.
Eve thought of the way he had kissed her. Passionately . . . madly. But such passion didn't have to be meaningful for a man who probably hadn't been alone with an Englishwoman for some time. She had to face that and couldn't let herself be carried away by a few mad kisses into the realms of fantasy. Wade was very much a man and the touch of a woman would fire him . . . that was all it had been. That was the bleak truth of the matter and she had to accept it.
"Will this be enough?" She dumped the wood on the ground beside him.
"Fine, thanks." He shot a glance at her, then slowly lowered his left eyelid in a wink. "Here's looking at you, kid," he murmured.
Eve turned away from him, her own eyes flooding with the silly emotional tears. Why did he have to be bound to some other woman, this tough and tantalising man who made James seem like a languid, bloodless shadow?
Eve gave a sorrowful, angry shake of her head so that the tears flew off her cheeks. She was a woman and she knew she could make him lose his head if she tried, but that wouldn't solve anything ... it might make him [120-121] despise her, and she would sooner be his jungle pal and have him wink at her in that matey way than have him regard her as no better than those loose women in garrison towns to whom soldiers turned for brief consolation.
Brushing quickly at her cheek, Eve turned back to him. "Can I do anything to help?" she asked.
"Sure, you can go and get the yams. In just a little while, lady, you're going to have a tasty meal inside you. How's that strike you?"
"It couldn't be better at the Ritz," she replied, watching a moment as he laid the fish on the fire stones. "All we need is the wine list."
"You're forgetting the coconut," he said. "We'll open that and make believe it's a vintage wine--a fine white one."
She smiled and knew the game had to be played this way . . . the other way was too dangerous, even though it could have been rather heavenly.

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  
قديم 26-08-07, 10:17 PM   المشاركة رقم: 9
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER SEVEN
On the river earlier it had been cool, but now the sun was like a molten flame about them, and the sweat had plastered Wade's shirt to his body, clinging darkly to his chest and shoulders as he thrust the paddle in and out of the water that glistened like thick oil in the sunlight.
Wade had worked with vandalistic zeal on the boat, spending tireless hours shaping and carving the storm-felled tree which he had dragged to the riverbank by means of a long rope woven from plaited vines.
With each passing day Eve's admiration for his industry, guts and skill had increased until she began to feel an almost frightening idolatry for the man. She had never known anyone like him in her life . . . a life which until now had been filled with ease and comfort provided by well-paid servants. She had never seen her guardian lift a log on to the fire, let alone create a boat from the trunk of a tree.
She had watched Wade at work with a feeling of akin to awe, and on the morning they loaded the canoe and the craft glided out on to the surface of the river, the certainty was strong in her that she could never be persuaded to marry James. She would never marry at all, least of all an effete young stockbroker who could do nothing except sit behind a desk and buy and sell shares for his clients. As his wife she would be no more than an adornment gracing his Maida Vale house, [122-123] there to entertain the wives of his business associates, and to spend the evenings dining with James' relatives, with the occasional weekend in the country for some golf, riding or shooting, according to the season.
The prospect wasn't to be borne, and if she must inevitably say goodbye to Wade, how could she ever forget being with him in the jungle? Sometimes she reflected back on her very first sight of him, when he had seemed so hard and unmerciful in the way he drove the nuns and herself through the bush to the airfield bungalow. She had thought him without sympathy or feeling, but she had learned since that he was rather like an iceberg, with depths to his character she would have loved to explore.
Oh God, sometimes it seemed as if she were thinking and loving like some heroine in a romantic story. She had never believed in that kind of love, but now discovered that it did exist. But she guarded it and was careful not to let it show in her eyes. For her sake and his she acted the boy, never complaining of the enervating heat, ever ready to do his bidding, keeping as bright and perky as his cabin-boy. It amused him, but sometimes there seemed a shadow of concern in his eyes when they played over her, for she had grown thinner, even more fine-boned on their diet of fish, fruit, and the constant tension of what might be lurking around each bend of the river.
They had no way of knowing if Tanga had fallen to rebel hands, and each mile was bringing them closer to their destination.
Now and again on a smooth stretch he allowed her to paddle for a while, so that she kept supple and didn't grow stiff crouched all the time on the low seat which he [123-124] had fashioned, with a bar across so that she could hold on when they ran into the rapids caused by the sudden cascades of water raining down like liquid silver from great escarpments of rock. Some of the river scenery was breathlessly beautiful, where the most exotic flowers grew against the curtains of green foliage; and never had Eve imagined such colourful birds, some of them sheer blue, darting on the water and emerging with big fish flapping in their beaks. It seemed incredible at times that they were two people hurrying towards a refuge . . . or a town already occupied by savage, undisciplined rebels.
"What shall we do," Eve asked Wade, "if Tanga has fallen to the rebels?"
"Cut and run," he had replied. "Get the hell out and head for some place that might still be in Government hands."
It both frightened and excited her, the thought that she and Wade might be alone like this for an indefinite period. She might act the boy, and it might amuse him to let her, but there were underlying currents to the situation that couldn't be ignored. When they camped in the evenings and bathed in the river, it was impossible to pretend that he didn't see her, nude and pale-honey, pulling herself from the water, her limbs dripping in the light of the moon that had risen a few nights ago, to hang in the sky like a globe of witchfire.
It was equally impossible to pretend that she didn't see him, like some weathered figure of bronze, some pagan deity emerging from the river.
There just wasn't room for the modesties of civilised living. They couldn't exist as they did and be unaware of each other.
[124-125] Eve knew exactly how the thick dark hair grew in an arrow straight down Wade's lean, strong body, and she had seen that fearful scar on his thigh, almost deep enough to thrust in her hand. She knew that he must be aware of the velvety mole on her left hip, and her much smaller and neater scar from an appendix removal when she was fourteen years old.
Such an awareness of each other could be borne if it were only for a short while longer, but if it continued, in the moist, musky, sensual jungle, then one dusky evening the inevitable would happen, he would reach for her and Eve would be helpless to resist him. She would submit to the excitement and ruthlessness she had already felt in his embrace, and alone with him in the wild, lush heart of Africa she would give way without reserve to being a woman. The very thought was enough to make her tingle from the nape of her neck to the soles of her feet, and she had to look away from Wade, for the movement of his brown arms, the dark wet clinging of his shirt to his muscular skin was enough to melt her on the inside as the hot sun was wilting her on the outside.
She longed for the evening when they tied up the canoe and rested; ate their supper after their bathe [sic], and lounged beside the fire talking quietly of impersonal things. There was a domesticity to it that could have led easily to the intimacy she both wanted and feared. If he touched her, if he took her, driven to it by all that was primitive in their surroundings, Eve knew it would be a heaven followed by hell when he told her, as adamantly as before, that he wasn't free to keep her.
It had to be everything or nothing. Eve realised that each time she looked at Wade. She couldn't surrender [125-126] herself to him and then give him up with a sweet, sacrificing smile. But she could just endure the parting that must come if she never knew what it was like to be his possession . . . she had come the hard way to that realisation, much as she longed for the feel of his mouth on hers again, the caress of his hands, the loving of his lean body, certain and tireless at his handling of the canoe.
Eve shivered in the heat, torn between the longing and the martyrdom of loving a man who belonged to another woman.
"Your hands keeping all right?" he asked suddenly, for during that early spell of coolness he had allowed her to paddle for a while.
Eve glanced at them and gave a grin. They were brown, nail-torn, and were developing slight callouses across the palms. "They got hardened at the mission," she said. "I told you I did the scrubbing, and also I peeled buckets of vegetables for the patients. I wonder is [sic] Sister Mercy and the others are back in England, or still working out here?"
"My bet is that they're still out here," he replied. "While someone needs them, those saintly creatures will carry on regardless."
Eve's smile deepened, for in that moment she had caught the Irish inflection in Wade's voice, which he must have picked up years ago from his father. Then she turned her head and her smile faded and unaware she trailed her hand in the water . . . were he not a Catholic, would he cut free from his wife?
"Take your hand out of the water," he snapped. "There's no knowing what's under the surface, and if you lost some fingers I'd have one hell of a job keeping you free of infection."
[126-127] "Sorry." She guiltily pulled her fingers free of the water. "I wasn't thinking."
"No, you were miles away in thoughts of England, no doubt, and your fine wedding day at some smart church with lots of guests and bags of rice."
Eve didn't protest that he had it all wrong, and that she'd fight her guardian yet again if he tried to force her into a loveless marriage. Perhaps she'd go into a nunnery herself, train for the life and then return to Africa to work under Sister Mercy for the rest of her days. Why not? It seemed a more worthwhile prospect than settling into a useless rut with a man she didn't care for.
Dusk always came suddenly, after the clashing of colours around the dying sun, and then the clamorous sound of water fowl would follow. Wade pulled into a clearing, and Wade stood a moment against the afterglow in the sky, tall, unbowed despite his long day at the paddle, pulling his sleeve across his forehead. "If I had to do this all over again," he remarked, "surprisingly enough I'd choose to do it with you, Eve. What a trip to remember, eh? If you ever take a world cruise on a luxury liner, think back on these days and nights and you might laugh or weep."
"I shan't laugh," she replied, watching him, letting her gaze travel up the long legs in combat khaki to the hard, inflexible shoulders and the life-hardened face. "I was thinking earlier on that I might decide to train for mission work--"
"What?" he broke in. "What the devil do you mean--be a nun?"
"Why not," she asked. "Others do it, so why not me?"
"You haven't the right temperament." He said it almost scornfully.
[127-128] "Thanks, Major. You're always ready to boost my ego."
"To the devil with it, Eve, you aren't a cold, devout saint, and you know it. Forget such nonsense and do what you were born to do."
"And what's that?" she enquired. "Develop from the season's debutante into the cool and gracious hostess of a house kept spotless by maids, and a kitchen ruled over by some treasure of a cook who won't even allow me to boil an egg."
"That doesn't have to happen," he said, almost curtly. "You have gumption enough not to be forced into marriage if you don't love the man. Find someone you can love, even if he happens to be poor. That way you'll soon learn how to boil an egg."
"Thanks," she said again. "I suppose this little lecture means that we're only a few miles from Tanga?"
"You've guessed it, Eve. This time tomorrow you might be on a plane and on your way home--all being well and if we find the status quo at Tanga."
"What happens if we don't?" Eve could feel the agitation of her pulses, and the sudden twisting pain deep inside her, as if already the strands that had bound her to Wade for this strange journey were now beginning to tear asunder.
"Then we're still up the river, but fortunately with a paddle." He leapt ashore and quickly secured the canoe to the thick roots of a tree. Eve followed him and thought dismally that this might be their last night together, their last bathe in the river, their final supper all smoky from the campfire they dared to light even though it might be a beacon for the enemy. He was fatalistic in some ways, was Wade O'Mara, but he was also too much a soldier to be capable of the kind of fear [128-129] other men might have felt. He had weaned the fear out of Eve, and she was even certain that if a band of insurgents fell upon them and the odds were too great, Wade would turn the Breda upon her and she would die at his hands. It was the way she wanted to die, if she had to.
He got the fire going, and Eve baked some fish, squeezed wild lemon over it and sliced a wild cucumber. For dessert they had big squashy berries with coconut jelly, which was rather delicious from the green nuts which Wade climbed for, cutting them down with his panga. Watching him do certain things Eve wondered at the difference between him and men like her guardian, not all that much older than Wade and yet grown flabby and reliant on other people for every sort of need. Such men would starve in the jungle, go out of their heads, and not be able to tell a suspended hornet's nest from a shaggy fruit. Of course, seated in importance behind their city desks, they were big men, and would regard someone like Wade as a barbarian.
Her dear barbarian, she thought, worth a thousand of the kind of people she must go back to. Oh lord, how to explain all this to the man who had reared her, paid her school fees, sent her abroad to acquire the poise of a young woman expected to marry well? How to convince him that she could never marry anyone chosen by him? They'd fight again, and she had the feeling she might burst into tears the next time; weep wildly for the man she had left behind in Africa.
Somewhere close by the clearing where they camped a parrot bird was still awake and apparently watching them in the glow of the fire. All at once it moved along its branch and squawked what sounded like: "Your dinner . . . your dinner!"
They laughed in unison. "Some dinner," Eve mur-[129-130]mured. "A pity all the yams are used up, they were delicious all hot and crackling on the outside and so white and flavoursome inside."
"You'll be dining at some swanky restaurant in no time at all, gobbling coq au vin and pears in brandy." Wade lay full stretch on the blanket and smoked one of his hand-rolled cigarettes. Overhead spread the branches of a great forest tree, and above them was the sky washed with moonlight, with clusters of stars in the shadowy patches.
"Why do you take it for granted that I shall slot back so easily into my old life?" she asked, seated there in the firelight with her arms about her updrawn knees. They had been lazy tonight and had not yet bathed in the river, as if they were waiting for the moon to ride right over them, casting the river to silver before they plunged in.
"You'll do so, little lady, because you aren't old." His dark brows had a devilish twist to them. "What your sweetie?"
"I wish it was! I could go for a nice sticky caramel, but instead I have to chew on that awful-tasting tablet that's supposed to keep me from getting dried up and saltless."
"You'll never be saltless." He handed her the tablet. "And I never could tolerate sugary females."
"Do I accept that as a compliment?" she asked, chewing the tablet and washing it down with hot smoky coffee, made from wild beans which Wade had roasted and ground to powder between a couple of stones. "And have you taken your own tablet?"
"I'm salty enough," he drawled, blowing a smoke ring. "I want you fighting fit when I get you to Tanga, the [130-131] saints willing. Got your story all prepared for your stern guardian?"
"Did I say he was stern?" Eve forced a smile to her lips, but again she felt that dropping sensation in her stomach, as if very gradually all the elation was going out of her life.
"I have the feeling he expects you to conform, eh? I imagine he's chosen your prospective bridegroom, but don't be bulldozed into the fellow's arms, not if you don't want to run into them."
"James is all right," she said, making her voice casual. "I could do worse, I suppose, but he's the kind who would expect me to drape myself in pretty clothes and chatter with equally useless females and sit on a committee or two, so long as I didn't overtax my bird brains. The upper classes remain very conservative in their ideas--they aren't like you, Wade. They don't go out and do. They couldn't do half the things you're capable of--if I were lost in the jungle with James, I'd be in a pretty poor way by now."
"Are you saying I've spoiled you for other men?" Wade asked sardonically. "In the literal sense, you understand. No one can say I've had more than a nibble of the sweet white frosting."
"Are you cynical about everything?" Eve murmured, her fingers clenching together until they hurt. "Despite the dangers, this has been one of the best experiences of my life. I shall never forget it."
"Nor I, lady." He rolled to one side so he was facing her and their eyes met and held, then broke apart. "There's been a certain alchemy, but don't mistake it for anything else. When you're home again, and you take up the threads of the life meant for you, you'll gradu-[131-132]ally forget all this and in a few month's time you won't even remember my face. I guarantee it, Eve."
"And you'll take up the threads of your life, I suppose?"
"Sure, I shall go on fighting out here until things are in order again, then I shall probably take a holiday with my--family, and then I'll find another war to fight."
"Don't you ever want to settle down?" Eve kept her gaze on the fire because she felt that her eyes were bleak. A holiday with his family, he had said. It made her feel so cut off from him; it underlined what she was, just a girl he had brought through the jungle to the threshold of safety, doing his very best for her, aware that she thought him valorous and daring, and letting her down as lightly as possible. Soldiers must often come up against this kind of hero-worship, Eve supposed. It wouldn't be the first time in his life, but it was the first time in hers, and she saw an awful, lonely future ahead of her . . . if she couldn't forget him.
"I've been too many years a fighting man," he said, tossing the stub of his cigarette into the fire. "Maybe when I'm really decrepit, they'll offer me a cot at the Chelsea Hospital."
"Oh, Wade!" It was a cry from the heart she couldn't suppress. "You make me want to cry when you talk like that. As if your family--"
"It's all right," he soothed, "I'm only jesting. Shall we go and cool off in the river, lady? That moon up there is big as an uncut cheese and I fancy a moon-swim--a sort of pagan farewell to this. Are you game?"
Eve didn't have to be asked twice, and collecting their towels and the soap they shared, and not forgetting the Breda, they hastened to the water that was rip-[132-133]pling silver in the radiance of the moon. A big gauzy moth brushed Eve's cheek and she could feel a primitive response to the night in the very centre of her being. The white fire up there must have confused the cicadas, for they were vibrating madly in the trees, and she breathed the musky scent of a night-flowering plant.
"Get thee behind a tree, temptress," Wade grinned, and planted her behind a huge silk-cotton where she swiftly removed every stitch, but was careful to hang slacks, shirt and briefs on a branch before running eagerly into the water.
Wade was already swimming about, and Eve felt the combined thrill of the cool water and sharing it with him. She rubbed the soap over herself and rinsed off the suds, then swam over to Wade and handed him the depleted bar.
"What a night, eh?" His teeth gleamed in a smile. "We couldn't have asked for more on our last night together, except for music drifting across the river."
"What a romantic idea!" Eve moved her arms in a lazy backstroke, uncaring that the silvery light glimmered on her pale body. Wade was a husband and father; he didn't have to pretend that he didn't know what a woman looked like. Nor did she pretend to herself that she wasn't playing the temptress. This was the last time they'd swim together (if all was well at Tanga) and she knew what she wanted to happen . . . she wanted a lasting memory to take back to England.
Her fingerips touched Wade and she felt the shock of it vibrate through him . . . then he somersaulted with hardly a splash, a gleaming body that was moonlit, with a dark clouding of hair that brushed Eve as he swam up [133-134] beneath her and wrapped his arms all the way around her. It was incredibly sensuous, wonderful, the feel of his hands gliding over her wet curves.
"Eve, you little devil," he groaned. "God, how lovely you feel, like a slim white fish with soft, velvety scales all alight and trembling. I'm mad for you, you wicked child. I want you till you cry the jungle down--but I'm damn well not going to do what Adam did!"
"Scared?" she taunted, slipping her arms around him and feeling his body taut and burning through the cool water. "Is the great big hero a mouse at heart? Oh, love me, love me, Wade, so I'll have something I can't forget!"
"You'd have it all right." He scooped her into his arms and ploughed out of the water with her and dropped her to her feet on the riverbank. His hand slapped out and stung her wet bottom. "Now stop being a pretty strumpet and behave yourself. I've been a gentleman with you for the first time in my inglorious life and I'm not spoiling the sheet."
"Is this what they give medals for?" she jeered. "I've seen it on its grimy ribbon. What did they give it for? Gallant action in the mess?"
"Stop it!" He gripped her slippery shoulders and gave her a hard shake. "It would be the easiest thing in the world to throw you down on my army blanket and love the breath out of you, all the way, Eve, to that moon up there, and then down in the mud. You'd find yourself with a baby in that slim white body, and I'd be the father, and unable to marry you! Have sense. Be realistic. Get dressed!"
"I want a baby." She clung to him like catchweed in the streaming moonlight, her wet skin clinging to his. [134-135] "I want yours--a black-haired boy like the one you gave that other woman. Why not? I'm entitled to something of yours, if she's going to have you till you--till you get what you seem to be after, a bullet in your heart."
Her hand played down his chest and her fingers went into that awful cicatrice in his flesh. "I've never known a real man in my life--oh, Wade, there'll never be another night like this one, and we'll never be alone like this ever again. Someone will make a woman of me, if I ever marry, and I want you to do it. I want you."
He held her, as if lost for words, and Eve loved the rough and tender heaven of his arms. "Right," his voice was low and savage against her neck. "I want you--because you're young and pretty and innocent. I want to make a feast of you, here in the jungle. I want to kiss every bit of you and let my body revel in you--but I'd hate my own guts in the morning, and I might even hate you, my vixen, for letting me do all that to you. Go home to England, Eve, sweet and untroubled, so I can remember you like that. How do you think I could live, not knowing if you were having my kid, or laid out in some clinic having it taken away? Do you think your upper-crust guardian would let his ward have the baby of a mercenary? Think again, my pretty Eve. A girl might hide what's in her heart, but there's no hiding a baby."
"You seem so certain I'd get--that way."
"There's a good chance of it." His eyes slid down the smooth length of her bare body, and she felt the tensing of his forearm muscles under her gripping hand. In the light of the moon his face might have been carved, except for the flicker of a muscle near his mouth. "I've [135-136] been living hard for some time, honey, and I don't think I'd keep a cool head if I had you at my mercy. Come, you're not so innocent that you don't know what I mean?"
"I--I know what you mean," she said huskily. "Doesn't it count, Wade, that I'm ready to take the consequences?"
"Don't talk nonsense." His voice grated. "You're little older than my Larry, a mere girl with all your life ahead of you. Think I'd spoil that for you? My life has made me hard and I've done things I shall never talk about, but I haven't come to robbing the cradle, not yet I haven't, and I'd put the Breda to your head if anyone out here tried it on and I didn't have a chance of protecting you any other way. You know that, so go and put some clothes on and let a guy's blood pressure settle down."
"Oh, Wade--!" Eve raised a hand and pushed the damp rumpled hair back from his brow. "You are merciless, aren't you? Y-you won't let me thank you for all you've done for me."
"I'll have thanks enough when I see you safely on that plane to England." Taking forcible hold of her wrists he held her away from him, and Eve felt the coldness where the warmth had been. Oh God, where else was she going to find a man so exciting, so sure in his strength, so self-reliant? All around them the countless fireflies danced in the air, spots of green fire, and Eve could feel the love inside her, burning away discretion and pride like flame through steel. She trembled and knew that she could dissolve Wade's inflexibility even yet; her wrist tensed in his hand, and her eyes were [136-137] sheerest gold, sensuous as a cat's as they dwelt on his face.
"Your grip is hurting me," she said softly.
He let go at once and her hand was free . . . time seemed to stand still and she knew he was reading her eyes, waiting for her to make her move. Emotion throbbed between them as the jungle throbbed all around them, the air filled with the moist, overpowering incense of forest foliage and milky vines.
He was watching her, daring her to go ahead with what her topaz eyes threatened. He knew, just as she did, that she could tempt him and make him weak as water, and at the same time awesomely strong. The devil whispered in her ear and wild, sweet heaven was only inches from her grasp.
She turned away from him, shudderingly. She couldn't have her heaven and risk him hating her afterwards . . . he had his son to consider, and even if his wife didn't possess his heart, she did have legal rights that he would abide by. That was the kind of man he was. Tenacious and loyal and strong-willed. For these qualities Eve loved him . . . it wasn't just physical, what she felt for the mercenary Major.
Eve suffered a moment, silent and intense, then she walked away to where she had left her clothes, and there behind the silk-cotton tree she rubbed her body with the towel and dressed herself. The magic had ebbed away and now she felt rather tired, and aware of meshes of thorny growth around her, and immense night-hung webs knobbed with hairy black spiders some of them hideously huge and tinged with red on their crooked legs. She shivered and no longer did the jungle seem romantic to her . . . her heart was cold and [137-138] she wanted the final few miles to Tanga to be covered as soon as possible.
She reached for her towel, which she had flung aside on a bush, and as she took hold of it felt a sharp stab of pain as a thorn ripped her thumb, tearing the flesh where it was latched to the nail. The pain was so acute that tears came into her eyes and she felt a salty taste in her mouth.
"You dressed, Eve?" Wade came to her side, dressed himself with his hair slicked back, and forcing herself to ignore the pain of her torn thumbnail, she nodded and walked with him through the moonlight tangled in the trees to where their campfire burned beneath the humming kettle.
"Fancy some more coffee?" he asked. "Or will it keep you awake?"
"I am rather thirsty," she replied, and felt certain her thoughts of him were going to keep her from sleeping. It was unbearable that they were soon to part, and abstractedly she placed her thumb between her lips and sucked the sore place where the thorn had jabbed and torn. She tasted blood, but wouldn't examine the small wound in case Wade noticed. He had warned her more than once that the slightest scratch in the jungle could become infectious if it wasn't treated right away. But she couldn't have borne his concern, his doctoring of her thumb . . . his hands upon her.
She sat down on her plaid bundle and gazed into the fire. Better that they stay polite with each other, thrusting away all personal contact. She wasn't ashamed that she had wanted him to make love to her; she didn't care that she had thrown aside her pride and revealed how she felt about him, but somehow, from somewhere, [138-139] she had to find the courage to walk away from him when the time came, and right now her courage was at such low ebb that the smallest show of sympathy would have reduced her to a weeping heap that would have exasperated him. Men so hated tears, and she didnt want Wade's last memory of her to be a maudlin one.
He made the coffee and they shared the mug, and they were sitting there quietly when both of them caught the sound of something rustling in the bush.
Eve tensed and she saw Wade sit up, turn his head and stare intently into those wicked green shadows. Her heartbeats quickened and her nostrils pulled into them the bitter, nutty tang of the wood fire. She saw Wade's hand grip the Breda and she knew that he was alert in every nerve, making hardly any sound as he climbed to his feet. He moved the shotgun into a firing position and with a tread as wary as a cat's he moved towards the bush, and Eve wanted to cry out to him not to go in there where a black tracery of fronds and branches made it so dark and menacing.
But she couldn't cry out, she could only watch in silence and fear for him. He was gone and there was darkness where he had been, and Eve gazed at the emptiness with stricken eyes, every fibre of her body straining forward, ready to leap and join him should it be a human who had made those stealthy sounds of movement.
The movements passed and the silence was filled in by the low harsh purring of the cicadas, and the trilling and croaking of tree-frogs. So intensely concentrated was Eve's attitude that she could feel herself trembling, and she could feel pain jabbing the nerves of her left hand, where the thick sharp thorn had stabbed her.
[139-140] "It's all right." Wade came back to her, moving without stealth this time. "I couldn't smell cat, so I think it must have been a wild pig roaming about, grubbing for roots, I expect."
Eve couldn't answer him, her teeth were clenched and her body was in the grip of a tension that wouldn't relax. Wade leaned over her and laid his hand on her shoulder, a touch she felt to the bottom of her spine. "Come on," he chided her, "don't get the jitters over a funny old pig--"
"W-what if it had been a human one?" she demanded, and she flung back her head and looked up at him wildly. "How can you be sure? W-we could be surrounded by them!"
"I'd know, Eve." He haunched down, cradled his Breda in one arm, and slung the other about her slim shaking figure. "Little lady, it isn't like you to let go like this--come on, snap out of it."
"Easy for you, Wade," she said chokingly. "You thrive on danger and don't care about anything else, but those savages use knives as well, and I--and I--"
"Here, you stop that!" He drew her against his shoulder and pressed his hard cheek down against her hair, rocking her a little, like an infant in his cradling arm. "I'd smell them as well, don't you realise that? They aren't so fond of bathing as you and I, and there's nothing so penetrating as acrid human sweat. I'm a soldier, honey. I'm trained like the damned tiger to whiff the air, and there was nothing in the bush that wore pants. Only a hungry trotter--"
"Oh, Wade!" Eve flung her arms about his neck and buried her face in his warm skin. "Y-you'll be glad to [140-141] be rid of me, won't you? You'll say goodbye with a great sigh of relief."
"Sure, I'll be relieved when I get you on that plane to London Airport. I made that promise to myself when you had to be parted from the nuns--little lady, haven't I told you before, we're just two people who got mixed up in a revolt and got thrown together for a while. It's like that film, with Bogart and Bergman, we have to say goodbye because that's how the script is written, honey. But don't think I won't miss you--the way you look in the mornings, all ruffled up and warm, like a kid almost, wanting salt and water to brush your teeth, and being so good about eating dried fish instead of scrambled egg and bacon. Drinking that coffee brew of mine as if it were the best Brazilian blend. Believe me, honey, if my Larry ever finds himself a girl like you, then I'll--"
"Don't!" Her arms hugged him fiercely. "Don't talk to me as if I'm a schoolgirl waiting to grow up. If I wasn't grown up properly before I met you, I am now, and it hurts, Wade. It hurts!"
Later, lying with her back to him on the blanket, upper body netted, and her legs wrapped in the plaid robe, Eve let the tears roll silently down her face, heavy and salty across her lips . . . her lips that hungered and must be denied.
Would the hurting get any easier once she was back in England? Would his features and the sound of his voice gradually fade from her memory? This was how the script was written, he had said, but this time he was the married one, and she must fly away from him knowing that he must stay tied to a woman he didn't love.
[141-142] Eve was sure of that . . . it was her only consolation.
All that night she dozed fitfully and kept starting awake, brought out of her sleep just after dawn by the persistent throbbing in her hand. She sat up carefully and took a look at Wade . . . he lay on his back, the Breda by his right hand, his lashes shadowing his cheeks as he slept, so that very briefly he looked vulnerable. Eve studied him for a long moment . . . this was the last time she would awake in the morning to find Wade beside her. The man she had slept with, the tough mercenary soldier, who had treated her with a gallantry she would remember and cherish all her life.
"I love you," she whispered. "I love you, Wade O'Mara, with every scrap of my heart and every bit of my body."
Then, taking care not to disturb him, she drew herself out of her cocoon and taking her dried towel made her way to the river, using it to flip away the big webs that were so heavy with dew that the spiders had vacated them.
A mist lay over the water and over the sun, and everything seemed remote and mysterious. As Eve knelt to wash her face she saw a harmless pepper-and-salt snake glide out from a dark-green bush and slip across the big tree roots. On the far side of the river she could glimpse the brown hadidas flapping on the water, and soon they would be joined by water-fowl and spotted deer and even a tawny lion or two, who this early in the day only wanted to drink cool water before the pink sky turned into a hot golden one.
Eve examined her left hand and caught her lip hard between her teeth when she touched the yellowing sore spot. It had festered, and Wade would be angry with her [142-143] if she showed it to him like this. Taking a corner of her towel, she dipped it in the water and bathed her thumb, flinching as she squeezed out the gathering, feeling a dew of sweat break out on her face.
She wouldn't tell him, for he had enough on his mind. Today they began the last lap of their journey and she knew he would be anxious to get to Tanga before nightfall, in order to get her off his hands, and to report to his senior officer. They'd have held Tanga from the insurgents if possible, and she couldn't selfishly pray that a whole town had fallen just to make it possible for her to remain with the man she loved.
As she walked back to their camp site a speckled dragonfly danced ahead of her on huge gauzy wings, a glorious thing, like a flying jewel. And when she paused a moment to collect her composure, she saw, utterly still on a twig, a praying-mantis like a small green ghoul, waiting on its victim with a patience as terrible as its awful little face. The dragonfly and the mantis seemed to typify for Eve what she had found in the jungle . . . unexpected moments of beauty . . . nerve-wrenching moments of suspense.
Wade had shaved and was pouring coffee when she joined him. He flicked his eyes over her face as he handed her the steaming mug. "You didn't sleep too well, did you?" he said. "I felt you tossing and even heard you muttering when you did drift off to sleep. Worrying about the situation at Tanga?"
She nodded and sipped the coffee, whose sweet smokiness made it palatable. They both knew what was really troubling her, but today they must keep everything impersonal.
"I'll dish up the fish," he said.
[143-144] "Not for me, thanks." Eve couldn't have eaten a bite, for even the hot coffee couldn't dispel that sickish feeling at the pit of her stomach. "I'm not hungry--"
"You should eat something, for once we get on the river I'm going to
keep at it and we shan't be camping again today."
"I--I can eat something in the boat later on." She handed him the mug so he could pour his own coffee. "Don't force me, Wade. I just haven't any appetite at present."
He nodded, but was frowning to himself as he ate his own piece of fish and washed it down with the last of the brew. They packed everything and loaded the canoe, and Eve settled on to the seat, pulling down over her eyes the coolie hat he had made for her from plaited straw and leaves; it was rough and ready, but it shaded her eyes and the lining of leaves kept her head cool. Today it also had the advantage of partly concealing her eyes, which being the servants of her emotions kept straying to Wade as he wielded the paddle. His much-washed shirt was in a faded, torn state by now, and as the sun grew more fierce the khaki began to darken with moisture and his black hair clung in damp strands on his forehead.
Today he wouldn't offer to let her paddle for a while, nor would she ask, for her left hand was hurting badly and the pain seemed to be in her wrist as well. She could feel the pressure of heat like a weight on her shoulders, and it must have been around noon when her head began to feel light, and the occasional sound of Wade's voice seemed to be across the river instead of a few feet across the boat. Her throat was dry as a bone and when she reached for the water-bottle it slipped [144-145] out of her grasp and she fumbled about in a listless way before retrieving it. Her lips shook against the rim when she tilted it to swallow the cooled boiled water, and dry as her throat was, the rest of her body felt sticky with perspiration. Her heart thudded and a feeling of acute dismay swept over her . . . oh God, she couldn't be feverish, could she? Not today, when Wade had made up his mind to reach Tanga and be rid of the responsibility of her.
She had to hold on and not be any more of a burden to him than she had been.
"You okay, Eve?" he asked, and again his voice seemed hollow and far away.
She nodded. "I--I'll have a little nap to make up for last night." She slid down into a small heap, feeling as if her bones were dissolving.
"You do that, honey," she heard him say. "When you wake up, we'll be home and dry."
Those were the last words Eve was conscious of, for when her heavy eyelids sank down over her eyes she fell into the depths of a fever from which she awoke a long time later . . . home and dry, indeed . . . in the cool, ivory-walled bedroom of her guardian's house in Essex, where she had slept as a child and during the school holidays.
She awoke thinking she was home from school; her face was hollowed and her foxfire hair was cut close to her head and the red gleam of it was dimmed.
Eve had no recollection of Major Wade O'Mara, and was not to have any for a long time to come . . . jungle fever, trauma, exhaustion, had taken their toll, and she lay languidly in her fourposter bed at Lakeside and [145-146] believed herself to be recovering from a schoolgirl illness. The nurse who came and went in the lovely, high-ceilinged room didn't make any attempt to put her wise . . . that she had been like this for five weeks, ever since they had carried her off the last plane from Tanga, before the town had been overrun by the rebel army.

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  
قديم 26-08-07, 10:18 PM   المشاركة رقم: 10
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Apr 2007
العضوية: 26920
المشاركات: 283
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: المصلاويه عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه