لمشاكل التسجيل ودخول المنتدى يرجى مراسلتنا على الايميل liilasvb3@gmail.com

العودة   منتديات ليلاس > قسم الارشيف والمواضيع القديمة > الارشيف
التسجيل مشاركات اليوم اجعل كافة الأقسام مقروءة

بحث بشبكة ليلاس الثقافية

الارشيف يحتوي على مواضيع قديمة او مواضيع مكررة او محتوى روابط غير عاملة لقدمها

TIME OF THE TEMPTRESS

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله اتمنى ان تعجبكم هذه الرواية وهي لفيوليت وينسبير واذا كانت موجودة في القسم ياليت تخبروني 00

نسخ الرابط
نسخ للمنتديات

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 26-08-07, 04:41 PM   المشاركة رقم: 1
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
التسجيل: May 2006
العضوية: 5027
المشاركات: 343
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: ورده قايين عضو على طريق الابداعورده قايين عضو على طريق الابداع
نقاط التقييم: 173

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
ورده قايين غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي TIME OF THE TEMPTRESS

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله

اتمنى ان تعجبكم هذه الرواية وهي لفيوليت وينسبير واذا كانت موجودة في القسم ياليت تخبروني 00

TIME TEMPTRESS

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  

قديم 26-08-07, 08:31 PM   المشاركة رقم: 2
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 6878
المشاركات: 209
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: nargis عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 16

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : ورده قايين المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

الرواية غير موجوده وياريت تنزليها بسرعه

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 26-08-07, 10:04 PM   المشاركة رقم: 3
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

TIME OF THE TEMPTRESS

CHAPTER ONE

There was no doubt about it, the five nurses rescued from the mission must have seats on the aircraft. They were utterly exhausted and the older ones couldn't travel on foot another ten yards, let alone thirty miles through jungle to the coast town of Tanga, still free of rebel occupation . . . so the pilot of the plane informed the man in khaki who had brought the nursing nuns this far to safety.
"The trouble is--" The pilot hesitated, and the dark, unshaven face of the soldier assumed a sardonic expression.
"Yes?"
Hearing the way he said it Eve Tarrant decided that he could put more meaning into a single word than anyone else she had ever encountered.
"As you can see, Major, the plane is loaded with folk already--if I overloaded I'd be risking a lot of lives for the sake of a few."
"You must take the Sisters!" The words had the cutting edge of a jungle knife. "They've had a grim time of it and you can see for yourself that they're on the point of collapse."
The pilot swept his eyes over the nuns, still in their torn and grubby nursing habits, their faces drawn. His eyes settled on Eve, the youngest of them.
"I might manage the older ones," he said, "if some of my passengers agree to discard their baggage. But--"
[5-6] "You take them all !" The words were explicit, the tough jaw was set; the soldier had no intention of being balked.
The pilot ran a troubled hand through his hair and half turned towards the plane as one of the passengers came to the exit.
"We should be on our way," the man called out pompously. "Every second we waste here, arguing, our lives our endangered."
The tall lean soldier, with a shotgun slung on his shoulder by a strap, swept his eyes over the stout passenger in clean white drill. "We can all see how anxious you are," he drawled, "but I must insist that these Sisters come on board."
"But we haven't the room--our pilot has just said so!"
"Please"--Eve caught on impulse at the khaki-clad arm, "if room can be found for Sister Mercy and the others, then I am sure I can trek the rest of the way."
He looked down at her and his face was a leathery mask in which a pair of steel-grey eyes glittered. "It's noble of you to offer, nurse, but I'm not noble enough to take you on. Our pilot friend is going to find room for all of you, even if I have to unload the stout one and all his nicely starched shirts and ducks in their leather cases."
The man heard him and went turkey-red. "I've paid for my seat, you darned mercenary!" he blustered.
The steely eyes raked the overfed face. "Sooner that than a bloated clerk who sits on his rump while women and girls do the grim work out here and nearly lose their lives in the process. I think," the rifle was significantly raised, "we can make room for them by getting shot of you."
[6-7] "Steady on," the pilot whispered fiercely. "He's some sort of an official and I'm duty bound to get him to safety with some important [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]s he's carrying. I'll see if some of the passengers will allow their luggage to be left behind. That will lighten our load."
Eve retreated to the shade of a flame tree on the edge of the forest clearing, and in a sort of tired dream she listened to the voices--like a distant surf--and heard the arguments regarding the baggage. She wanted poor Sister Mercy and the others to take off in the plane; they had endured two years of trouble and dangerous strife, whereas she had only been at the mission a couple of months. She was younger, not so worn out by tension as they. And still she wanted to prove herself that she was more than a social butterfly, deb of the season, darling of the fashionable resorts, and good for nothing except a decorative life and a society marriage.
She had fled from all that, to help out, unpaid, at the mission. She hadn't dreamed that jungle revolt could be so frightening . . . they had hidden in the cellars for days, with barely enough to eat and drink, until the mercenary Major had stormed in and forced them to come this far. There was something tough and unholy about the man . . . he had known that if they could reach here by daybreak there would be a plane ready to take off to safety.
Suddenly his tall shadow fell over her and she glanced up at him, the tangled hair falling across her topaz eyes.
"Could you really trek it?" His voice was as hard as his sunburned features. "I shouldn't relish having to carry you if you wrench one of those patrician ankles."
Eve swallowed the retort that sprang all too readily [7-8] to her lips . . . she had to remember that he had saved the lives of the nuns. "Have you managed to find room for those poor tired women?"
"Just about. It seems there isn't a man on board who will gallantly give up his seat for a darling debutante."
"Stop it--please!" Anger and weariness met in her eyes and they shimmered as if she might cry.
"Right." He swung away from her and called out to the pilot: "Take off now! Don't waste any more time getting those precious people to a hotel for tiffin on the veranda!"
The pilot inclined his head, set his jaw, and saluted the two who must stay behind to face the hazards of the jungle and the rebels. He climbed into the cockpit of his machine and as the engine throbbed, faces were pressed to the windows and Eve met the tired and defeated gaze of Sister Mercy. Then the Sister glanced at the mercenary and she seemed to be saying: "Trust him, child, though he looks in league with the devil himself."
The plane took off, leaving in its wake a curious stillness, and a huddle of suitcases on the grass. Two were of expensive pigskin stamped with initials, one was circular and looked as if it had belonged to a woman, and another was battered with labels all over it.
"Well," drawled Eve's companion, "we shall with luck find you a change of clothing. You look as if you need it."
"And so do you," she retorted. Humour and a slight touch of hysteria joined forces inside her and suddenly she was laughing, leaning there against the tall tree hung with flamy flowers. "You look like Humphrey Bogart in that film about Devil's Island!"
[8-9] "We'll save the compliments for later, if you don't mind." He gazed with a dark frown at the airfield bungalow, utterly deserted now that the last of the refugees had left. For days they had been arriving here and the planes had been flying in to pick them up, but there would be no more planes. This area was now evacuated, and Eve and the man whose name she did not know were the only human beings in the vicinity. The monkeys had drifted back to their treetop perches, and gaudy parrots sat together on a long branch and nagged one another. It was a strange, unreal moment, that breathless interval running and then coming to a halt, with danger held at bay by chance . . . or by the assertive thrust of a masculine chin, and a hard brown hand holding a hunting rifle. Eve knew it wasn't a military weapon by the polished butt of reddish wood and the copper plate with a name inscribed. She had a vision of him snatching it from the wall of an abandoned plantation house, and handling it with the authority of a hunter.
She watched as, like a silent cat, his every nerve a coiled spring of alertness and daring, he mounted the steps of the airfield bungalow and thrust open the wire-meshed door. He stood there looking in, a tall individual, with his skin weathered to a shade of brown that made his eyes arresting, swift and glancing as a rapier tip. The strength of his jaw and the width of his shoulders gave him a formidable air. He made Eve feel hostile, because never had her existence held such a man, a stranger of fortune, who roamed where the rebellions were, and who rescued a weary group of women as if he were pulling kittens out of a stream into which a cruel hand had thrown them.
[9-10] Several words to describe him sprang to her mind, and then the door swung shut and he was inside the bungalow and she knew him to be searching the rooms to make sure no enemy was hiding there. He left her feeling lonely, there in the compound with the jungle behind her, and suddenly she was running towards the steps and panic was at her heels.
"Major . . . !"
"I'm here." He emerged from a doorway and regarded her with cool eyes. "The place is quite deserted, but it has a kitchen and I hope it will yield some food. Are you hungry?"
She thought about it and realised that she was. In their flight appetite had been forgotten, but now she became aware of a gnawing pang at her midriff. "I'm awfully hungry."
"Then let's ransack the kitchen."
"Dare we? Have we . . . time?"
"We must make time and hope for the best. The sound of the plane will have been heard, but for a while this place will be assumed to be deserted. Come along, the kitchen is at the end of this corridor."
There in the dim recesses of a store cupboard they found a few tins containing coffee, corned beef, plum jam, and quite a hoard of beans. They scrambled together some of the beef and beans, heating them over the Primus stove, and made hot, strong coffee, none the less welcome for its lack of milk and sugar.
"Eat hearty," Eve was urged. "You're going to need, young deb, all the strength you can muster for the jungle trek ahead of us. Our thirty miles might turn into forty if we have to make any detours, or the going is particularly tough."
[10-11] "I--I wish you wouldn't call me 'young deb' in that scornful voice." Her cheeks stung. "My name is Eve."
"Is it really? Well, I don't answer to Adam or Humphrey." His grin was so wicked it was satanic. "I'm called Wade."
"Wade?"
"Don't you care for the name?"
"I think it highly suitable, for someone who wades in where angels fear to tread. Do I call you Major Wade?"
"It's my christian name. The surname is O'Mara." He spoke drily and began to pack the tins of food into his knapsack, not forgetting the opener. "It's a pity we can't take the Primus, but it's a trifle too bulky for our trek. Come, let's take a look in the lounge. There may be something that will come in handy."
"I suppose it's all part of your job," she said, "to ransack the places you come across?"
He gave her a silent, steady look out of those keen cool eyes, and her nerves felt agitated by a strange fear of him. Sister Mercy and the huge silver cross that hung around her neck on a chain of tiny prayer beads was no longer there to protect a girl from this type of man. Eve summoned her most defiant look, and saw a slightly derisive smile quirk on his lips. He was equally aware of their isolation together . . . the mercenary and the debutante!
"You've just reminded me that we have those suitcases to . . . ransack. I'll fetch them and we can sort out what we need. I think you will agree, Eve, that we might as well take the best of the pickings before our rebellious friends arrive to tear everything apart and to make a bonfire of it all."
A shiver ran through her and she hastened out with [11-12] him to the compound, and lugged back into the bungalow the circular case that one of the women passengers had allowed to be tossed from the plane. There in the lounge Wade forced open the case with a blade of the all-purpose knife he carried and they set to sorting through the *******s. Eve found cosmetics, some sheer lingerie, a bottle of scent, a couple of illustrated magazines, and a pot of caviare!
She held it up for Wade's inspection. "No champagne to go with it?" he drawled, and he tossed her a pair of slacks and a green silk shirt. "I don't know what kind of a guy wore these togs, but I think I can guess. He was fairly slim anyway, and they should be all right for you. Here's a blazer as well . . . catch!"
She caught the things and knew from the feel of them that they were expensive, probably brought out from England from a shop in Bond Street.
"Don't go too far away to change into them." The order came in that explicit tone of voice, as if she were a trooper at his command.
"Aye, aye, sir. Will the kitchen do?"
"I'd prefer you to go behind that big leather couch. Time is speeding and I'd hate our friends to catch you with your pants down."
"You might remember, Major, that I'm not one of your soldiers!"
"There isn't a moment when I don't regret that you aren't." He glanced up from the more battered suitcase with the labels stuck all over it. "Believe me, dear deb, I look forward to this trek as much as you do."
"I'm not helpless, Major!" she retorted.
"Good at tennis and hockey, no doubt? First rate at a fancy skim round the dance floor or the ice rink? And a smash hit with the boys!"
[12-13] "Oh . . ." Her fingers clenched the clothing which had belonged to the sort of young man she had been accustomed to. "You really enjoy getting at me, don't you? Would you mind telling me why?"
"Because you're a social orchid from the tips of your ears to your tiny toes. The type who's at the root of much of the trouble out here--oh, you mean well, but you'd do better to stay at home adorning the fashion salons and the cocktail bars."
Eve stared at him and went so pale that her eyes took on a denser shade of topaz. "How can you lay the blame on me?"
"Your sort, little one. Born with a jewelled spoon between your lips, sweetly arrogant in your self-approval, and so sure that everything you do for the lower orders is a benefit rather than a bore."
"Thank you very much!"
"You're welcome, Eve." He gave her a sardonic bow, lean and every inch a fighter in his jungle uniform bearing the shoulder crowns of his rank in the mercenary army. "Now, your ladyship, discard that uniform and change into the slacks and shirt, and splash yourself with this insect repellent." He handed her the fat yellow tube. "We're about to take a hike through country where the mosquitoes will just love that milky skin of yours, so be lavish with the cream and cover your limbs as much as possible--and do stop looking as if fate has landed you a wallop round the jaw. I may not be polite company, but I know the jungle and will do my utmost to get you to the Tanga coast."
Grabbing a slip and panties from the circular case, Eve went behind the club couch and removed her torn and grubby uniform, which she soon replaced with the fresh underwear and the male outer garments. Because [13-14] she was tall the slacks weren't a bad fit, and she supposed that Wade O'Mara had selected the green shirt because to him she was such a greenhorn.
"Bring the uniform with you," he ordered.
Eve did so and watched silently as he folded it among the garments they must leave behind. "Show me your footwear," he said, and when she extended a foot he looked rather grim. "Our foppish friend has sandals in his case, but you have aristocratic feet! Come, try one of these."
She obeyed, but the sandal felt like a boat. Suddenly she began to laugh and couldn't stop, and Wade gave her a rough shake. "I'm going to cut some inner soles from the top of this leather case and it's going to waste precious time, but you must have a pair of decent walking shoes or I shall end up carrying you halfway home."
"And neither of us would relish that," she said, pleased that she could sound so definite about it. He gave her a brief look, a shimmer of silvery-grey, then he bent over his task, cutting deeply into the leather with his knife and hacking out a chunk of it. He then stood her worn-out shoes upon it and traced round them with the knife blade . . . his hands were as brown as the leather and as tough, and yet they had a curious dexterity which produced in as short a time as possible a wearable pair of soles for the over-large sandals. He fitted them inside and told her to try the sandals once again. She did so and found them a lot more snug.
"Well, how do they feel?" he asked, snapping shut his knife and thrusting it into the sheath at his belt.
"Not too bad at all." She swallowed her antagonism. "Thank you."
"Now is there anything in that woman's case that you'd like to take along . . . and I don't mean the paint [14-15] and the sheer wear."
"A book might come in handy, also the comb and mirror . . . do you know, Major, that pilot must have thrown off the wrong case. No woman would give up . . ." Eve broke off and looked into the grey eyes. An eyebrow quirked above them and the firm mouth took a dent in it. "You mean he did it on purpose? Because I'd need a few things?"
"Some men can be gallant. I never learned the trick of it."
Sudden tears shimmered in her eyes and she bent closely over the case so that he wouldn't see that she was touched by the pilot's gesture . . . lord help him when he landed the passengers!
"Can we take the little pot of caviare? It won't take up much room, and it's nourishing food."
"Drop it in." He held open his knapsack and she saw that he'd added the food cans, a shaving-gear from the leather case with the labels, a copy of a Penguin thriller, and one of those long silk scarves men wear with evening clothes. She couldn't think why he wanted it, unless he had a secret craving for the minor luxuries. Maybe that was why he was allowing her to have the caviare.
"Have you everything you want?" he asked.
"We might need a rug, and this plaid dressing gown might come in handy as a substitute. I can carry it, Major."
"Okay, but don't overload yourself. The heat in the undergrowth will be near intolerable during the daylight hours. Now we'll stow these cases in a corner, as if they were abandoned there instead of outside, and we'll be on our way."
"Have you remembered to fill your water bottle?" [15-16] Eve felt she had to ask, and to let him know that she was aware of the dangers and discomforts as he was, despite his opinion of her as a flimsy creature of flighty pursuits and efforts that were more of a hindrance than a help.
"Yes, the water bottle is full to the brim," he replied, that droll note in his voice.
"I'll carry it--"
"No, you might lose it. All set?"
"Yes, Major."
"And stay close to me, I don't want to lose you."
"I rather thought it wouldn't worry you," she mumbled.
"I beg your pardon?" He was busy guiding himself, his rifle and knapsack, now full, through the mesh door into the brilliant sunlight flooding across the compound. "What did you say?"
"Nothing important." She followed him and blinked against the sun, still strong and strange to her even after two months. The ceiling fans had still been purring in the bungalow, left on and forgotten by the staff who had left on the final plane. It had been cool in there, and now all at once she felt the impact of the tropical heat burning against her skin and hair. She would welcome their entrance into the jungle itself, where the trees would offer [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]ter from that burning sun, even if at the same time the green canopy closed in the warmth and made the jungle a living greenhouse.
"Come, we must hurry," Wade threw over his shoulder. "We've wasted precious time enough . . . are those sandals quite comfortable? I don't want you breaking an ankle."
[16-17] She followed him towards the trees, and though the sandals were still rather loose the thongs across the instep kept them from falling off, and it was rather like walking in house slippers. "Yes, they're okay," she said, falling unaware into his laconic figure of speech.
He reached the trees and turned to give her a sardonic glance, one that took her in from her feet to her titian hair. He was tall against the trees, the combat jacket straining against the wide bones of his shoulders. The rest of him was lean and long, topped off by a thatch of rough black hair. His very darkness had a danger to it, and the only light thing about him was the steely grey of his eyes.
Eve and he seemed in this moment to assess one another as hostile strangers about to be guests in a strange house; two people who must learn to accept each other's foibles for a short and intimate while. Colour ran beneath her skin and settled on the heights of her cheekbones, and the slight curves of her body hardly disturbed the green silk of the shirt she wore outside the band of the grey-green slacks.
"You could almost pass for a boy," Wade drawled, and his eyes flicked her smooth cap of titian hair. "Did you cut it yourself, or were you actually training to take vows?"
"Don't be funny," she rejoined. "One of the Sisters cut it for me so I'd feel cooler working about the mission. I really did work, Major. I even scrubbed floors."
"Bravo for you. Something to tell the magazine editors when you get home. Should make quite a headline: 'Debutante gets down on her knees to scrub and pray!'" And so saying he turned and entered the [17-18] jungle, and as Eve followed him, actively hating his cynical sense of humour, a bird seemed to sing high above her head: "I was a good little girl . . . I was a good little girl . . ."
It was odd, rather like the opening bars of an old music-hall song, and Eve found herself finishing the line in her head.
". . . till I met you!"

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  
قديم 26-08-07, 10:06 PM   المشاركة رقم: 4
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER TWO

A lot of the country around the mission had been cleared for plantations and livestock, but Eve now found herself in the actual jungle, where wild snaking vines bound the trees together and laid traps for unwary feet, where ropes of convolvulus hung thick as an arm and loaded with the big bell flowers that smelled so primeval. Long, broad banana leaves had to be beaten out of their path, and whiplike bamboos had to be avoided. It was exhausting, the continual avoidance and beating back of jungle growth, all so alive, somehow, as if it would gobble them up. And the heat was cloying, so that Eve could feel the perspiration running down her skin and soaking the clothes that kept her from being badly bitten around the legs and arms. The mosquitoes seemed to lurk in the lower growth, among the enormous ferns and massive leaves around the boles of the trees. All was dim and green and seething with insect noises, broken by the crunch of Wade's boots, breaking down the path as much as possible so that she wouldn't stumble in her cumbersome sandals.

She dared not think of all the miles they must travel until they reaached [sic] the coast. She felt dismayed by the very thought of hours, perhaps days in this living greenhouse, where like a pair of human flies they battled with the giant foliage.
"What happens," she asked suddenly, "if the coast is in rebel hands?"
[19-20] "We make for one of the villages. They're dotted about, and so off the beaten track that it's hard to believe there's a rebellion going on. Often the people are friendly and ready to help . . . but my advice right now is don't waste energy thinking ahead, just keep walking and keep up your spirits."
"I'm trying, but don't you have the feeling we're being watched all the time, every step we take?"
"Monkeys," he said laconically, "high in the trees. Curious about us but not dangerous."
Eve smiled with relief, and wondered if there was anything on earth which could unnerve this Major of mercenaries, shatter the coolness with which he faced this journey and its hazards. Was he so hardened that nothing could make a dent in him?
He paused and his panga gleamed as he hacked a sprawl of lianas from their path. Now and again she had seen him consult a compass so she was free of the fear that they could become lost . . . he might not be the most charming of travelling companions, but he was sure of himself, and a broad-shouldered bulwark against the menace that seemed to simmer behind her, and at every side of her.
She stumbled nervously when a parakeet screeched in the undergrowth, and at once he shot a look over his shoulder. "Mind your step!" he ordered.
"I'm all right--"
"Would it help if I cut you a stick?"
"It might."
"Then stay just where you are and I'll cut a bamboo."
He disappeared into the denseness at the left of them, and Eve took a rest against the trunk of a huge old tree, shutting her mind to what its foliage might be [20-21] hiding, and aware of a longing to slide down into the giant ferns and sleep. It seemed as if she had been on the move for hours, and indeed she had, for it had been some time last evening when the Major had searched the mission and found the Sisters and herself concealed in the cellar. All their patients had fled, or had been carried away by their families.
"We must keep going a while longer." A bamboo stick cut at the joint was placed in her hand. "This should make things a bit easier."
"Thank you." She looked defiantly into his eyes, as if to deny her weariness. He thought she lacked hardihood and she had to show him that she wouldn't be a burden on him. "I know how imperative it is that we keep on going, and I shan't fall behind, Major, or make you wish too fiercely that I were a soldier instead of a stupid society girl who should have stayed at home in her cosy bandbox."
He grinned in that brief and diabolical way of his. "It will be something for you to remember, eh? Always supposing I get you to a boat or plane."
"I assure you this trek will be unforgettable!"
"And uncomfortable." He faced about and they continued on their way, one behind the other, plodding tenaciously through an endless tunnel of green and shirring forest, brightened now and again by flame blossoms or a creamy curtain of wild orchids.
Eve thought of cool, faraway England, and the flaming quarrel she'd had with her guardian, who had been so sure that she would allow herself to become engaged to James Cecil Harringway the Third; heir to a corporation, good-natured and gangling, but not the man for Eve. She had stood out, and then on sheer impulse [21-22] had packed a bag and flown to Tanga because she wished to help, to do something with the pampered life her guardian had made for her, only to expect in return that she marry a man she neither loved nor desired.
She plodded on in the wake of her guide, and felt sure that had her father not been killed when she was three, she would not be here in the steaming jungle, her face hot and shiny, and clad in the shirt and slacks of a man. Not only that, but at the mercy of a jungle mercenary, and a band of rebels who might be stealthily following their trail, or lying in wait for them at the coast.
Half an hour later they halted for a rest on a fallen tree, which Wade searched thoroughly for snakes before allowing her to sit down and relax. He handed her the water bottle and she took several grateful sips.
"More welcome than wine, eh?" He took his own few sips and then screwed the cap firmly into place again. "Fancy a bit of chocolate?"
She shook her head and watched him enjoy some. He seemed quite untired, with an alertness in his eyes that made her think of a prowling animal that never slept or needed to. She felt curious about him and wondered if such a man had a wife, a family, a home in which he behaved like a human being. All she was certain of was his nerve, and that he had done startling and outrageous things. His only law was that of jungle lore!
"What conclusion have you come to?" he drawled.
"That I'm placed in the position of trusting a tiger."
"The swift and silent brute who likes the shadows, eh?"
"The cat who kills for pleasure."
He didn't reply and the jungle enclosed them as if in a green and echoing bell-glass. Eve wondered at her [22-23] temerity in speaking as she had, but she didn't shrink away from him, or allow her eyes to waver from his face. He had been frank enough in his opinion of her!
"A million orchids," he murmured. "Back in England they cost the earth, and after an evening at the dance a girl preserves the orchid she has worn on her dress. So many of them must remind you of the times you've worn one to a concert or a ball?"
"I always preferred a rose," she said quietly. "Orchids have a clutching look about them."
"They have no thorns."
"True," she said with a faint smile. So she had thorns, which meant that she had pricked this man. She congratulated herself, and wriggled her toes in some ferns to cool them.
"You'll get bitten if you don't watch out," he warned. "Mosquito welts are not only irritable, they're painful and they can lead to a fever. I think when we make camp I'll dose you with a quinine tablet."
"When do we make camp, Major?"
"When the sun goes down. The jungle will then be so dark as to be impenetrable, and I guess you need a night's sleep. We'll start at dawn tomorrow and make better time."
"I hope I'm not too much of a hindrance," she said, "but I couldn't take a seat on that plane in preference to one of the Sisters. They had endured more than I . . . oh, I don't want to sound self-righteous, but they were good to me. They understood why I came out here--"
"Were you running away of your life of luxury?"
"Yes, in a manner of speaking. You'd have been far more contemptuous of me had you known me before I worked at the mission."
"Was there a young man involved?"
[23-24] She shrugged and thought of James, who would be horrified, and startled, to see any girl less than immaculate. He was really one of those who believed that girls, like dolls, were kept in boxes in pretty dresses, with not a hair out of place. Girls like herself, who were brought up by nannies, who went to finishing schools, and drank champagne with their eggs and bacon.
"The silence of a woman always tells more than a torrent of words."
Eve came out of her reverie as Wade spoke almost against her ear. She turned, startled, to look at him and found his eyes piercing hers and raking over the smooth, heated skin of her face, and taking in the features that had a Celtic purity to them. Her mother had been a Highland beauty, much painted by all the fashionable artists, and Eve was a true daughter of the isle of Arran, with eyes that reflected the misty lochs.
"So it was a man who sent you running out here to scrub and pray! Did you quarrel with him?"
"Yes," she said, for it was all too true, and it wouldn't do any harm to let this mercenary Major believe that the quarrel had been with a man she loved. In a way it had been. She was fond of her rather arrogant guardian, and when she married she wanted to marry for love's sake. It was upon that issue they had flamed into heated words. "I won't be sold in the marriage market," she had stormed. "I'd sooner work at Woolworth's!" But as it happened she had read about the plight of Tanga in the newspapers, and being impulsive she had decided to be a heroine instead of a counterhand.
"Was he worth the predicament you now find yourself in?" Wade ran a hand down his unshaven jaw, and Eve winced at the rasp of the black bristles. The sound seemed to emphasise his maleness, and her total de-[24-25]pendence upon his skill and his grit.
"I'm not sorry I came," she said, meaning it. "I've been of some use, even if you don't think so. I've seen suffering and courage, and I feel sure I'm a better person for knowing people such as Sister Mercy and the other nursing nuns."
"Time will tell," he drawled. "When you find yourself in the Ritz Bar again, surrounded by admirers, you might soon forget the scent of ether and incense."
"You're abominably cynical, Major!" She gave him a furious look. "I can't imagine you believing in anything, except the chase and the kill."
"Then your imagination will have to be attended to, young lady." He rose to his feet, lean and supple as any tiger. "Siesta is over, so rouse yourself, and get those toes back inside those sandals."
Defiance flickered through her . . . she wanted, as in the old days, to toss her Titian head and turn her back on a man. Her fingers clenched on the thick silk of the shirt he had commandeered for her, and she hated with her eyes that hard, fierce face of his. Heavens, how the tropics had browned his skin, burned his gentler feelings to a tinder, crinkled his eyes! Had he never danced to the last nostalgic waltz? Had wine never left its tears on the rim of a stemmed glass, while the petals drooped on flowers he had given a girl, and the candlelight died on the table?
"I know your feet are hurting and your spirits are wilting," he said roughly, "but this I have to do. On your feet, deb!" He enclosed her shoulder with his sunburned hand and forced her to rise. She wrenched free of him and struggled into the sandals with their leather soles as hard as his soul!
"Ready?"
[25-26] "As I'll ever be, gallant Major!"
"Attagirl." He gave a low, sardonic laugh, almost lost in the depths of his brown throat, and hoisting pack and rifle he stepped among the jungle trees, the webbing vines, the sticky spider nets, the primeval scents, and Eve followed him.
"I feel," she said, "as if I'm training to be a squaw!"
"Yes, you keep thinking along those lines and we'll get along fine, little one. Squaws are humble and obedient creatures."
"Huh!"
"Did you stumble?"
"As if you'd care!" she snapped.
"I might take the trouble to give you a hand."
"The back of it?"
Again he laughed, and a monkey leaped among the interlocking limbs of the trees and its tail seemed to whip at the trumpet flowers, showering petals like a mock confetti. A reluctant smile sprang to Eve's lips. It was good to see the monkeys, for their presence proved that she wasn't entirely alone with a human tiger.
For brief minutes she was amused, and almost secure, and then something dropped on to her and her scream tore the transient peace to shreds. She felt a wet stickiness all down one side of her shirt, and then Wade was beside her and she was giving him a dumb, stricken look.
"What the devil--?"
"W-what is it?" she gasped.
He touched her, and then gave a brief laugh. "A bird's egg, probably tossed down on you by one of those mischievous monkeys. It's made something of a mess."
"Ugh!"
[26-27] "Better a broken egg on you than a palm rat, or a bird-eating spider. Stand still while I clean you up."
She obeyed him, but couldn't quite control a contraction of her nerves as she felt him wiping her off with a khaki handkerchief large enough to cover a coffee tray. His hand brushed her body and she felt a sensation that actually frightened her more than the egg bursting against her. Their aloneness in the jungle was suddenly alive with alarming new meanings, and she was recalling some of the tales about mercenary soldiers which native girls at the mission had imparted to her.
Eve gave Wade O'Mara a quick fearful look, which he answered curtly in words. "You can cut out what you're thinking." He gave his handkerchief a shake. "I don't go in for ravishing my hostages, not even a Titian-haired deb who has probably teased the wits out of the Champagne Charlies at the hunt balls. There, that will soon dry off. You'll feel rather sticky, but it's the best I can do, and I'm not going to waste any of our precious water."
"Th-thanks." Eve flushed hotly at the ease with which he had read her mind. Men believed that it excited a girl, the thought of being at the mercy of a tough and ruthless character, and she didn't dare to look at Wade in case she actually felt a stirring of curiosity about what it would feel like if he suddenly flung her down in the rampant ferns and took her with all the forceful assurance with which he tackled everything.
"What are you waiting for?" There was an edge to his voice. "To find out what it's like to tease a ruffian in jungle cloth?"
"I don't go in for that sort of behaviour," she said indignantly.
"I bet you don't." His eyes swept her up and down. [27-28] What else is there for someone like you, whose virginity had to be preserved for the highest bidder? There's little honesty in it, but a whole lot of tantalisation, only don't try it on with me, lady, or I'll teach you that on the rough side of the tracks we don't cheat."
"How dare you!" Eve itched to slap his hard, cynical face.
"I'd dare, lady."
"I just bet you would," she retorted. "You wouldn't have come within ten miles of the ethics of a gentleman."
"I thought you had a taste of gentlemanly behaviour a few hours ago, when not one of that sort would offer you his seat on that plane, which by now is safely landed while we're standing here steaming in this heat."
Eve flushed again, and hated him for his knack of striking clean to the bone and exposing the painful truth. "The impulse to survive does away with politeness, I suppose," she said.
"Now you're learning, foxfire," he mocked.
"Foxfire?" Her eyes ran enquiringly over his hard face.
"Didn't your elegant young man ever tell you that your hair matches the coat of the vixen as she streaks across the turf pursued by the hounds and the gallant huntsmen?"
James . . . tell her that? Eve doubted if he'd ever noticed anything about her beyond that she dressed, spoke and behaved correctly, and would in due course inherit some sizeable stocks and shares.
"If your nerves have quite settled," Wade drawled, "we'll be falling in line again and might make another mile or so before you wilt and have to be fed."
"I'm not an infant, Major O'Mara. I'll keep up with [28-29] you, don't worry about that. I'm just as eager as you are to reach civilisation."
"Right. And the next time a bird's egg falls on you, don't scream the forest down."
"Did I upset your nerves?" she asked tartly.
"My nerves are iron, lady, but you could have been heard and the female scream can't be mistaken for anything but what it is, probably one of the most primitive sounds on earth."
This time Eve thought it wise to let him have the final word, and taking hold of her bamboo stick and her bits and pieces wrapped in the plaid robe, she fell in behind him and they continued on their way . . . into the very heart of the jungle, or so it seemed.
It was, Eve reflected, like being a pickle in a salad; the vegetation was all shades of green, except when a sudden bract of bougainvillea sprang vividly to life against the foliage, or a great stem of wild orchids burst forth from the trunk of a towering tree. The leaves of the plantain were enormous and could have served as umbrellas should it suddenly start to rain. Branches twisted together in the most erotic shapes, like dark limbs entwined in eternal passion, sometimes modestly veiled by drapes of lacy green fern.
Every now and again a bird would flutter down on large wings and startle Eve, or a parakeet would let out a raucous squawking sound, as if scolding the two human beings for being in a place meant for more primitive creatures.
The Major waded on through the moist, riotous, earthy-scented jungle with all the aplomb of a man taking a hike through Epping Forest with the prospect of a long cool beer awaiting him at the Rising Sun. Hack, hack, went his sharp-bladed panga, shearing [29-30] through the thick stems and tangles of vine, lopping off the great leaves across their path, and tramping down with his boots the thorny growth that could have torn Eve's ankles.
Occasionally he shot a look at her, or flung a question over his khaki-clad shoulder. "How're you coping, lady?"
"I'm having a picnic," she rejoined. "I'm wondering how anyone could join a jungle army to endure this . . . whoever uses your services must pay well."
"They pay sufficiently," he said. "Enough to put my kid through college."
"Y-you have a family?" His casual reference to a child almost sent Eve sprawling into a patch of spiky bamboo, which she avoided just in time.
"A son." He whacked away with his panga at a whip-like branch.
"Aren't you worried that you'll be killed?" she asked that broad back, with the dark patch of sweat between the shoulder-blades. "That wouldn't do him much good, would it?"
"It's the worriers who get the bullet, so I steer clear of worrying."
"What about your wife?" Eve swallowed drily. "Surely she doesn't approve of the way you earn your living."
"She was never the worrying sort," he rejoined. "Larry, the boy, is keen to be a doctor, and I intend to see to it that he gets what he wants."
"How old is he?"
She heard Wade O'Mara emit a sardonic laugh. "Nineteen, which makes him only a year younger than you, eh?"
"Yes," she admitted, and her eyes swept the lean, [30-31] lithe, and forceful figure in front of her and she decided that Major O'Mara was in very good shape for a man with a grown-up son. How old had he been when the boy was born--about twenty? And was his wife attractive? Yes, Eve decided. This tough mercenary would like his woman to be feminine and rather helpless, with big blue eyes and fair hair in contrast to his darkness.
That was the image Eve built in her mind of the woman who waited for Wade O'Mara back in England, while he risked his neck in order to earn sufficient for his son's medical training. Eve thought of some of the men who were contemporaries of her guardian, and the kind of cash they played with on the investment market, able to pick up the phone and give instructions to a stockbroker involving thousands of pounds . . . but the man who was dedicated to getting her safely to the Tanga coast had to kill in order to educate his son.
Eve felt rather shaken, as she had at the age of fifteen when a school friend had enlightened her about the production of babies . . . as if she had learned a fact of life which was amazing and very intriguing. In the large house of her guardian she had been rather [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]tered, and it had never been explained to her that men and women didn't only look and behave differently, but had a function in life that was also very dissimilar and accounted for the fact that men had aggressive ways to which women submitted either willingly or unwillingly.
Eve realised how aggressive was the jungle soldier whom she had to obey, on whose strength and ability she had to rely if she hoped to get to Tanga safe and well.
All around them seethed the forces of nature, and any one of the massive trees or tangled growths of vine [31-32] could have been hiding the kind of menace he was trained to overcome. Without him she would be totally lost and at the mercy of all sorts of danger . . . a cold shiver ran over Eve's moist skin, and never before had she felt so aware of being a woman as in this jungle with a tough mercenary who hunted rebels so that he could provide for his son.
What kind of a man did he become when he was back in England with the woman who was the mother of his son? Eve tried to resist the question, but it took a grip on her thoughts . . . was he a very ardent lover, showing his hard white teeth in a possessive smile as he took into his hard brown arms the woman from whom he was parted for hazardous months on the other side of the world?
Was she aware that he sometimes had to rescue nuns from an endangered mission, and be responsible for escorting a lone girl through rebel-occupied country?
Or didn't he talk about the dangers of his job . . . or the temptations involved?
Eve was shocked by her own thoughts, but they persisted in tormenting her as she tramped along in the wake of this man . . . so mocking and sure of his masculinity . . . and with a son named Larry. What could possibly be tempting in a man who antagonised her as much as this one did? A man who was married and the type she would have avoided in the normal course of events?
It was at that point in her feverish thoughts that Eve suddenly stumbled in her over-large sandals and gave a cry as her left foot turned over painfully. "Damnation!" Wade O'Mara halted instantly and swung round, his [32-33] black brows joined together above his blade of a nose. "What have you done now?"
"N-nothing," she said, but there were tears of pain dampening the edges of her eyes and she was obviously limping. He didn't move and when she drew level with him, he caught hold of her arm.
"I-I'm all right," she insisted.
"Don't be a heroine until you have to be," he growled. "Let me have a look at the damage."
"It's just a wrench--"
"Hoist the leg on this fallen log and let me look!"
It was a definite order and Eve reluctantly obeyed him. He removed her sandal and this added to her feeling of defencelessness, induced by the strength of his shoulders and the feel of his hand massaging her ankle.
He glanced at her and slitted his eyes against a ray of reddish sun coming down through an opening in the trees. "You've done well for a slip of a girl, and this had better be rested for the night. I think we'll make camp, and then get an early start in the morning."
Sympathy from the ruthless was bound to take a girl by surprise, and Eve stared down at her ankle clasped in his tough brown hand. She blinked in an effort to stop the tears from coming. "Thanks," she mumbled. "That sun up there is going all to flame--I hadn't realised how the day was going."
He glanced at the dark-strapped watch on his hairy wrist. "The days start early in this part of the world and the nights come quickly. Yes, we'll now make camp, and I'm going to take a chance and light a small fire so we can have some tea. Fancy that?"
"Oh yes," she said fervently.
A slight smile curled his lips, and for the briefest [33-34] moment his fingers seemed to move in a caress against the fine bones of her slim ankle. Then he put her sandal back on and latched it, and even as Eve was steadying herself with a hand on the hard bone and sinew of his shoulder, her heart was reacting in a most unsteady way.

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  
قديم 26-08-07, 10:08 PM   المشاركة رقم: 5
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER THREE
By the time the Major had settled on their camp site, the sun had slid beyond the trees and dropped away into the gullies of shadow. Eve glanced around her and became aware of the primitive atmosphere of the jungle when the sun faded and the darkness fell like a cloak. The tall trees seemed to come closer and the sounds in the undergrowth grew menacing.
Though she had been at the mission just over two months, Eve had never spent a night in the actual jungle . . . least of all with a man. She felt scared and strung-up, half fascinated by the experience, and yet wary of the man and the reason for the two of them being here, in the shadowy depths of this vast, unnerving and primeval place.
He had said he was going to light a fire, but Eve knew how risky that could be at night when the flickering flames might be seen, bringing upon them a sudden attack from out of the dark, sharp blades swinging in the firelight, doing to them what had been done to a Jesuit priest and several of his flock at a mission not far from the one where Eve had worked with Sister Mercy and the other nuns.
She waited in the deepening dusk, alone for the moment because Wade O'Mara had said he smelled creek water and had gone to investigate. Eve longed to sit down, but didn't dare risk it. Her ankle was aching, but it was the bodily weariness that was making her feel [35-36] so nervous and wan. Oh, how lovely right now to have a bed to fall into, where she could snuggle under the duvet and sink her head into a soft pillow. Sheer luxury! And when she awoke a shower to stand under, lathering herself with a foamy soap, twisting about under the delicious cascade until her skin was glowing.
Eve came out of her reverie to find Wade O'Mara in the clearing. He was carrying some objects which made a thumping noise when he dropped them. "Stones from the creekside," he explained. "I'll build the fire inside them and it won't be so visible."
"Is it wise?" she asked. "Perhaps we shouldn't risk it."
"You need some hot sweet tea, my lady, and so do I as a matter of fact. I'll open a can of corned beef and we have some biscuits. We shan't do too badly, eh?"
"You're very casual about everything, aren't you?" Yet even as she spoke Eve couldn't help wondering what lay behind that imperturbable manner of his; was it military training which induced it, or was he concerned not to let her see just how grim their situation was; two people alone like this in alien country, his nerve and that Breda automatic shotgun all that stood between them and the bloodthirsty vengeance the rebels were wreaking upon anyone who stood in their path.
"What do you mean by casual?" Wade went down on his haunches and started to arrange the fire stones. He glanced up a moment and she caught the glimmer of his teeth and eyes . . . alert as a leopard, she thought, with his vitality still at a high level of voltage despite the hard slogging pace he had set for both of them, all that day.
"Well, as if you did this kind of thing every night of your life."
[36-37] "I do it quite often, make camp in the jungle. The one definite difference is that I don't usually have the debutante of the season to share my bully beef and biscuits."
"I wish you wouldn't keep bringing that up!" she exclaimed. "I'm not a debutante any more--I didn't want to be one in the first place, but my guardian insisted."
"Come now, I'm sure you enjoyed every moment of the admiration and the proposals." His tone of voice was lazily sardonic. "How many did you collect?"
Eve heard the branches of dry wood snapping in his hands as he laid the fire in the compact circle of stones, and she wished he wouldn't be so sarcastic when she was feeling too weary to enjoy answering him back.
"I forget," she sighed. "They were unimportant."
"All but one of them, eh? You said you had a young man in England."
"Did I?" Eve ran her fingers through her sweaty hair and pulled at the collar of her shirt. She wished she could have a wash, and wondered if the creek held sufficient water for a quick plunge.
"I feel so messy," she said. "I-I'm not asking for any of our drinking water, but would it be possible for me to bathe in the creek?"
"Utterly impossible," he replied curtly. "This is nighttime, if you haven't noticed, and I don't know what's swimming about in there. You'll have to wait till the morning and I'll decide then if you can take a wash in it--it will be pretty muddy anyway."
"Mud is good for the complexion," she said flippantly. "What could be in it beside mud?"
"Things with teeth that snap at pink toes and milky-white bottoms," he rejoined. "I know you aren't feeling your usual bandbox self, but it's better to be safe than nipped, wouldn't you say?"
[37-38] "I suppose so." But she said it regretfully and watched as a match flared and was applied quickly to the kindling he had laid. The acrid tang of woodsmoke filled the night air and small flames fluttered upwards, then gradually sank to feed on the dry branches. Wade unbuckled the straps of his knapsack and took out a couple of cans, something tightly rolled, and finally a kettle that would hold about two cups of water. Eve listened as the water gurgled from the leather bottle into the small kettle, and she reflected again how unruffled this man seemed to be. She was glad he was so tough and self-reliant, but at the same time he was so disturbing and awoke in her a feeling of being a helpless and vulnerable female. She should be the one making the tea, yet it was he who placed the kettle on the improvised stove and put chunks of sugar in a large enamel mug.
"We'll have to share this," he said, and the firelight showed her the deep groove in his hard, unshaven cheek. "Like a loving cup in those romantic stories you probably read in bed."
"I'm not a romantic fool," she snapped. "You enjoy getting at me, don't you, just for the fun of it because I'm keeping you from what you really enjoy!"
"And what might that be?" he drawled, busily at work with a can opener, also found in the cavernous depths of his knapsack. "From what I know of men--and at my age, with my experience, I presume to know a little more than you, my lady--this situation has elements to it that most men would enjoy. I'm not so very different from all those guys, but this isn't a regular sort of picnic, honey, and while you and I strike tinder and make sparks, you don't let your thoughts wander where they shouldn't."
[38-39] "And where's that, may I ask?" Eve couldn't control a rush of colour to her cheeks, for he seemed to be implying that she was getting romantic ideas about him.
"All around us, in the jungle," he said explicitly. "We both know what could come out of there if our fire is spotted, and it's best not to think of what I'd have to do rather than see you fall into their hands--presuming it's true what you hinted, that I enjoy the business of killing."
Eve stared at him, a hand clenching her side as the kettle boiled and he dropped into it a handful of tea from a tin.
"Sorry we haven't any milk," he said drily, "but the tea will be hot and sweet and invigorating."
"Do you mean"--she could feel her heart thumping, "you'd kill me?"
"Sure, rather than see happen to you what I've seen elsewhere. My dear deb, I'm not in this man's army for kicks, or completely for the cash. People are being butchered out here, good people on the whole, if a little misguided about how other folks' countries should be run. I've seen nasty things in the last couple of years, and as I said once before, you should have stayed at home and married that smooth young man of yours, then you wouldn't be stuck with me in the middle of a jungle--a guy who may have to blow your pretty head off rather than see it chopped off."
"Ugh!" Eve shuddered all the way to the bottom of her spine. "You don't spare the rod, do you?"
"It had to be said, and now stop thinking about it." He untied the bundle he had taken from his knapsack and it sprang free of its tapes, an army blanket that was waterproofed on one side, which he laid on the ground he [39-40] had firmly trampled down with his boots. "Come on, sit down and try and relax. Do you like corned beef?"
She nodded, and despite his horrific words she wasn't turned off the food, which he handed to her on a chipped enamel plate, with a few digestive biscuits on the side. "Thank you." She glanced up at him, standing very tall in the firelight. "And don't hesitate to do it, if you have to!"
"A proficient soldier never hesitates, and I'm very proficient when I have to be. Also a good shot, if that will set your mind at rest?"
"My mind's at rest." In the shifting glow of the fire, as he poured the tea, his features were distinctly ruthless and above them he had the tousled dark hair of a freebooter. Eve was in no doubt that she could be sure of swift annihilation should the rebels attack them, and even as she felt a sense of relief about it, she still felt that deep-down sense of disturbance at being so alone with Wade O'Mara. She had never met anyone of his type before. Had he always been a soldier, wandering from war to war, and never at home long enough to become tamed and ordinary like so many other husbands? Was his wife so undemanding that she didn't mind being without this tough, resourceful man for months on end?
"Thank you, Major." Eve accepted the big tea mug and set her lips to the brim. The tea was strong, but she was far too thirsty to mind, and she gulped her half of the brew while he sprawled on the blanket and crunched a biscuit while he watched her.
"One thing I'll say for you, young deb, you don't make a fuss about eating and drinking like a soldier. Thanks." He accepted the mug and tipped it to his own [40-41] mouth, and Eve could have sworn that he set his lips exactly where hers had been. Oh heavens, she thought, and came to the realisation that there was an insidious, very masculine charm under the veneer of hardness that this mercenary Major presented to the world in general. She recalled his firmness in getting the nuns aboard the last plane to Tanga, and the way he had briefly smiled at Sister Mercy.
"Are you a Catholic?" she asked him abruptly.
"I was born into the faith," he replied, tossing corned beef into his mouth and munching with appetite. "It isn't often that I get to practise its tenets, as you can see from the uniform I wear. Why do you ask?"
"You were very kind to Sister Mercy and the other nuns, and I noticed that once or twice you used Latin terms that she understood."
"And I don't strike you as being normally kind, eh?"
"I-I wouldn't say that." Eve glanced at the fire and chewed her own supper. "I'm glad we have a fire, but it still scares me in case it gives us away."
"You don't have to be scared," he drawled. "You won't know what's hit you."
"All the same--well, we've both got a lot to live for, haven't we? You have your son, and I--I have my life back in England."
"With the honourable young man who allowed you to come out here to scrub floors and risk your neck?" A black eyebrow arched above cynical grey eyes, which dwelt on the fine gold chain and golden good-luck coin which she wore, glinting in the firelight against the smooth skin of her throat. "Were you testing him, honey? Hoping he'd dash after you and grab you off the airfield before you boarded the plane?"
[41-42] Eve thought bitterly of James the last time she had dined with him, eating expensively at the Charisse before they went on to the theatre . . . she had told him she was thinking of coming here, but he had laughed away the idea. "Don't be a silly girl," he had said, patting her hand as if she were an infant or his doddering aunt, but never a girl he hoped to sweep off her feet with his love-making. "Whatever would you find to do out in the bush? A little orchid-picking, my sweet?"
She could have told Wade O'Mara that she despised James and thought him a useless stick, but wisdom prevailed and she smiled what she hoped was a yearning, romantic smile.
"I wanted to prove that I could be of use, and I have proved it," she replied.
"You've proved to the hilt that you were running away from that exciting life of yours back in England. Of course you were, so don't deny it. If you were so keen to be of use to the community you could have applied for proper training at a hospital or taken a Cordon Bleu course in [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]ng and opened your own bistro . . . both would have offered you the chance to scrub floors and peel potatoes."
"You're a sarcastic devil!" Eve exclaimed. "The cynicism is layers thick on your hide!"
"It probably is," he agreed. "But at least I'm honest about what drives me to do certain things. I don't wrap my motives in a self-deluding veil of sacrifice and service. You were bored to the hilt with being a social butterfly, so you decided to create a flutter by scorching your wings on the edge of a political flare-up. Only it turned out to be more like a forest fire and you didn't bargain for being caught in it with a stinging brute [42-43] like me, did you?" The look he gave her was derisive and knowing. "Hand me your plate, Eve. You've earned a sweet even if it's too late for a spanking."
"No doubt that's how you've dealt with your son," she said, "when you've been at home to deal with his training."
"No doubt," he drawled. "Come on, I've opened a can of pineapple chunks and I'm fairly sure you have a sweet tooth, not having arrived at the stage when you need to trim any surplus fat from that sylph-like figure; and believe me, by the time I've dragged you through the jungle, like Tarzan and Jane, you'll be trim enough to be a model."
Setting her lips and refusing to be humoured, Eve handed him her plate, for the truth was she was still quite hungry but she knew he had to preserve as much of their solid food as he could. She certainly wasn't averse to sharing the pineapple chunks, but his caustic remarks took some swallowing . . . maybe because he struck too close to the truth for comfort. It wasn't until she had arrived at the mission and found there was real need for her services that she had faced the truth of why she had come. It had been her act of rebellion against a cushioned yet controlled life, and she had needed to get far away from England in order to feel free of her guardian's iron hand in the velvet glove. She was fond of him, and grateful to him for the way he had cared for her, but he expected to rule her life and plan her future, and Eve had fled in a sort of revolt a man like Wade O'Mara could never be expected to understand.
She doubted if Major O'Mara, sprawling there in his mercenary khaki, had ever felt a stab of fear in his en-[43-44]tire life. No one had a lead on him, not even his wife. But Eve felt beholden to her guardian, though not yet was she going to be forced into marriage that would suit him far more than it would suit her. She had wanted to test her wings, but she wasn't complaining about the scorch marks, and with a tilt to her chin she accepted her plate of fruit chunks with a stiff murmur of thanks.
"Sorry there's no ice-cream to go with them," he drawled, "but I guess you can whip up enough ice for the two of us when you put on that frosty look."
"Funny, aren't you?" Eve ate her pineapple from her fingers and thoroughly enjoyed doing so . . . maybe in her secret heart she had longed to be a hoyden for a while, her feelings roughed up by a man who would never have been smooth with women. She could just imagine what she looked like with tangled hair, wearing slacks that flapped around her ankles and a shirt that was oily from insect repellent. Her guardian would have a fit, and James would probably swoon.
"That's it, smile." The voice was as rough and purring as if it came from a leopard's throat. "I won't ask you to share the joke, for I'm well aware that naughty thoughts can lurk behind a demure face."
"I expect you presume to know all there is to know about women," she rejoined, licking juice from her fingers. "I don't doubt that in your travels as a warrior you've met every colour and every creed. Your wife must have a mind as broad a Loch Ness."
"Broader," he agreed, and the smile on his firelit face was an inscrutable one, making Eve wonder just how much his marriage meant to him. Like all the other thoughts he aroused it was a disturbing one . . . she didn't want to delve into his private life, but they were [44-45] a man and woman alone in the primeval jungle and it would have been unnatural had she not been curious about him . . . as he was probably curious about her.
Suddenly an ominous snarl came from the depths of the trees and Eve turned her head towards the sound and felt her heart give a leap. "What's that?"
"Probably a leopard on the hunt for its supper," he said casually.
"So long as it doesn't start fancying us," she gasped.
"Let's hope it will soon find its kill. I don't want to use the rifle if I can avoid it, for a gunshot in the dark can carry for miles."
Eve shivered, and realised anew how perilous their situation was. The fire had to be kept low in case the flames were seen and this increased the chance of some dangerous animal leaping upon them.
"Don't start getting jittery," he said. "Leopards are the least of our worries. Have you ever seen one?"
"One or two used to roam about in the vicinity of the mission, but there was a fence of pointed stakes around the compound."
"Lovely creatures," he murmured, "with a spring to them like oiled silk. Too bad they're hunted for their skins."
"I hate real fur coats," she said, recalling with a flash to her eyes a quarrel she had once had with her guardian when he had tried to make her wear a sealskin jacket he had bought for her birthday. "I can't bear the thought of animals being slaughtered just to satisfy the vanity of women and the ego of the men who buy furs for them."
"Do you know how they kill the leopards so the lovely supple skins won't be marked?" Wade was rolling him-[45-46]self a cigarette from his pouch of tobacco, and he shot her a look across the guarded flames of their fire, his brows a single dark slash above his eyes.
"In some beastly cruel way, I expect." Eve met his eyes. "Have you ever hunted them?"
He shook his head. "Would you care for a cigarette?" he asked. "Hand-rolled, but they serve."
"I don't smoke, thank you." She watched as he took a glowing stick from the fire and lit the cigarette between his lips; the flame played a moment over his features and she thought again how ruthless he looked, and yet there was a side to him that was far more subtle and complex, as if cruelty might repel him. "Major, did you fight in Biafra?" she asked on impulse.
"Yes." He slung the stick on to the fire and leaned back on the blanket, his eyes narrowed against the smoke of the cigarette in the corner of his mouth.
"It must have been horrible."
"It was."
"Those fearful massacres! We read about them in the newspapers."
"They weren't a pretty sight," he agreed. "But you don't want nightmares, and in a while we're going to settle down for the night."
Eve glanced around her at the density of the jungle trees, at what might be lying in wait to pounce upon them while they slept.
"I sleep like a cat," he drawled, "with one eye open. You'll be safe enough with me."
"Will I?" The words sprang of themselves to her lips, and for some reason they sounded--provocative, so that instantly Eve could have bitten her tongue.
"The fact that you're an attractive wench cuts little [46-47] ice with me," he said, a trifle cuttingly. "Apart from the fact that you were with those nuns, I don't happen to seduce girls young enough to be my daughter. Does that relieve your girlish apprehensions?"
Eve was grateful for the darkness which concealed the colour that rushed into her cheeks. "I didn't mean--"
"Didn't you?" Smoke curled about his dark head. "I'm a soldier and I fight wars, and when the opportunity offers I relax--with a woman. I don't happen to regard this situation as a very relaxing one, and when we do kip down for the night I'm going to give you a tablet that will relieve any aches and sprains and make you sleep easy, so you'll dream for a few hours that you're back in your cosy canopied bed at the family mansion, which I daresay stands in its own acres, with enough land a man might farm without breaking his back."
"You sound as if you might be a frustrated farmer," she murmured. "Is that your ambition, if you don't get a bullet in your back?"
"Who taught you perception?" he queried, squinting across the fire through his pungent cigarette smoke.
"Maybe I was born with it," she said. "Even debutantes aren't necessarily feather-brained."
"No, the only thing that's feathery about you, lady, is that you're such a fledgling in a hard cruel world. You'll grow up, more's the pity."
"Why is it a pity, Major?"
"Kids I find amusing, even those with plenty of backchat, but women have only one function as far as I'm concerned."
"What ghastly cynicism!" she exclaimed. "How did [47-48] you ever come to get married with your outlook on--love?"
"There are a couple of specific reasons why a man puts his head into that particular noose, so can't you guess? I was doing my National Service and I met this fetching little waitress in the canteen. As I don't happen to believe in abortion I became a husband at the age of nineteen, and a proud father at twenty. Let me add that I've no regrets on that score, and now are you satisfied that you've winkled my secret out of me?"
"I-I wasn't being inquisitive," she denied, and it was curious how unshocked she was by his revelation. Somehow she had guessed that this tough, resilient character had never been romantically in love . . . it was there in his face, in his eyes, that he placed women in two categories, those to be revered like Sister Mercy, and those to be desired like the girl he had got into trouble during his very first year as a soldier. It touched Eve that he had done the honourable thing and was so obviously proud of the son from his enforced marriage. Her fingers clenched in the blanket on which she sat almost as if she were controlling an impulse to reach out and run her fingers down his lean life-clawed face. Heaven help her, it wouldn't be wise to touch him . . . as that other Eve had touched Adam when the serpent whispered.
"You shivered just then," he said. "Beginning to feel cold? That does happen in the jungle at night."
"I-I guess I'm tired," she gave a little yawn. "It's been a long and very unusual day."
"It has, at that." He leapt with agility to his feet and tossed the cigarette butt into the fire. "You'll want to go into the bush to spend a penny, so you'd better take [47-48] my torch. Keep the light trained downwards, won't you?"
"Of course." Romantic he wasn't, but he was certainly to be trusted not to take a girl for a plastic doll without natural functions which needed to be relieved. She accepted the torch with a murmur of thanks, and was so terribly glad he wasn't like James, who went turkey-red when a girl excused herself to go to the powder-room. There in the jungle bush she tried not to think about snakes and knobbly black spiders and concentrated on how James would react if he could see her right now. When she returned to the fireside she was smiling to herself.
"Something tickle your fancy?" Wade enquired drily.
"Oh, I was just wondering how they'd react back home if they could see me now."
"So it amuses you that the guardian and the boyfriend would probably be shocked?" As he spoke he was delving into his knapsack and Eve saw the glimmer of something white in his hands. "The boy-friend might have grounds for breaking off the engagement if he knew you were alone in the primitive jungle with a mercenary, eh?"
"We aren't yet officially engaged," she said, and watched as strong, deft hands unfurled a length of filmy mosquito netting.
"But it's on the cards, eh? The desirable union of the season's deb with a young man capable of handling your inheritance if not your imagination."
"My imagination, Major O'Mara, is no more vivid than anyone else's."
"I beg to differ. You're standing there right now and [49-50] having mental images of sharing this blanket and net with me. Dare you deny it?"
"I-I had come to that conclusion," she admitted, feeling the warmth come into her cheeks as she envisioned herself tucked in close to that lean and ruthless body . . . she had never been that close to a friend, let alone a stranger.
"And as your imagination is female, Eve, you've gone a step further and petrified yourself with the belief that a rough soldier is going berserk the moment he comes in contact with your nubile young body. It could happen, along with a lot of other things that might happen before I get you to Tanga in one piece, but you're going to have to take a chance, like the one you took when you told that pilot you could trek it with me. You knew when you spoke up that I wasn't a weed among the coronets."
"I was aware of the risks I was running," she said, a trifle breathlessly. "It was more important to me that Sister Mercy and her nuns be flown to safety--I happen to mean that! I might be a bit spoiled, but I'm not selfish!"
"There's no need to be on the defensive with me," he drawled. "I know a lot more about women than you'll ever know about men, so let's get something straight. When a man makes love, just about everything else goes out of his head and he becomes almighty vulnerable. I can't afford that happy state of being right now, with leopards and rebels on the prowl. Do I make myself clear?"
"As glass," she said, and could feel her cheeks burning.
"Right." He held out his hand and there on the palm [50-51] of it was a small round object. "Swallow this and you'll sleep through without being worried about me or anything else. Go on, take it."
Eve accepted the tablet and put it against the edge of her tongue. "I-I think I might sleep without it," she said nervously.
"You'll take it," he rejoined. "I want you fighting fit in the morning, with no residue of pain from that ankle you turned over. The tablet has something in it to relax your nerves and ease your aches, and I'd take one myself except that I've got to keep alert and not fall into a deep sleep. D'you want a sip of water to help it go down?"
"Please."
He poured a little of their water into the mug and handed it to her. Eve made no further protest and swallowed the tablet. She had to trust him . . . there was no one else around to see after her, and even to look into the density of the jungle was to feel the nerves crawling in her stomach. The trees were black creaking shapes in the darkness and there were stealthy sounds that made her skin creep.
Wade handed her the netting and told her she was to swathe herself in it. "Like an oriental bride," he drawled wickedly, "right over your head and face. Go on. You won't suffocate, but it will keep out anything that might crawl on you in the night."
"Oh, do you have to be so explicit?" she appealed. "What are you going to use to cover yourself, or don't you care about the crawlies?"
"I can wrap this around my head like granddad's nightcap." He showed her the white silk scarf which he had confiscated at the airfield bungalow.
[51-52] "So that's why you wanted it!"
"Sure. Did you imagine I was saving it for a night out at the country club?"
Eve grinned as she began to twirl the netting about herself. "I can't imagine you at the country club drinking gin slings and talking about the latest polo match. I think that would bore you to distraction."
"And what can you imagine me doing in my spare time?" he asked, and he was down on his haunches banking the fire with half-dried mosses and leaves which he had gathered from the edge of the clearing.
"Riding," she said instantly, "but not in any kind of local pack. And you probably play a lot of squash."
"How come you say that?"
"You haven't a pot, have you?"
He stood up, tall and hard from his chin to his heels. "I'm not quite in my dotage, kitten, but I guess thirty-nine must seem pretty ancient to you."
"No--"
"Come off it," he said derisively. "I have a son not much younger than you, and if I haven't a stomach that's gone to pot, then you can put it down to the hard graft of being a soldier. Oh, sure, I'm called a mercenary, but most of us are hard-bitten characters from the regular army who, for some reason or other, find ourselves fighting in the jungle or the desert. It isn't just the cash, but when you've been a soldier for most of your life, it comes easier to answer a call to action than to sign on at the foundry or the factory. Three years ago I was in Belfast, in charge of a bomb disposal squad. Four of us got blown about one night, and when I came out of hospital they discharged me from the army. I tried to settle down to civvies, but it [52-53] didn't work. And now I'm here in the jungle with you, lady. Funny old life, isn't it?"
She nodded, and wondered how his wife had taken it when he had put away his civvy suit and put on a uniform once again. She supposed it was like a drug, the danger he had lived with all these years. Even the domestic comforts had not been strong enough to hold him.
"You actually enjoy all this, don't you?" she said.
Wade shrugged his shoulders and came over to inspect how efficiently Eve had swathed herself in the netting. He shook his head at her. "You look like a kid dressed up in mother's net curtains," he said. "Come here, I want this stuff over your hair, neck, face and arms, otherwise you'll wake up in the morning with bites and welts all over you, not to mention a dose of incipient malaria."
Eve stood there and allowed herself to be covered up until she did indeed resemble a Persian bride. She gave a throaty little laugh, and tried to ignore his hand as it smoothed the netting down over her body.
"What's so funny?" he asked. "Or are you naturally ticklish?"
"I feel like a novice about to take vows," she said, for it seemed wiser not to refer to a bridal image.
"Vows of chastity?" he drawled. "You're not the type."
"Oh, how come you're so sure?" she asked. "You've only known me a day, yet you presume to judge my character as if we're old--friends."
"It is a safer word, isn't it?" he jeered, adjusting the netting so that her neck was well covered. "Any [53-54] guy who called himself your friend would be a poor stick."
"Thanks!"
"I'm paying you a compliment, you half-child." He gazed down at her, making her aware of his lean height and the total self-assurance of a man who had been to dangerous places and faced all kinds of hazards. "I have reverence for nuns and I admire their courage and dedication, but be thankful you aren't driven by their needs. Your sort will be far more--enjoyable."
With James? The unwelcome thought flashed through her mind even as her eyes measured this man's shoulders and her skin tingled from his touch.
"There, I think you're sufficiently mummified for the night. I haven't wrapped the netting too tightly about your neck, have I? The neck is a particularly vulnerable and tasty part of the anatomy so far as gnats and s'quitoes are concerned." He let go of her and started to search his pockets for something. He brought out a length of string and proceeded to cut it in two with his knife. "Now we'll tie up the cuffs of your trousers in case a snake decides to warm himself inside them."
"Do you have to be so--so precise?" she begged.
"Snakes aren't stupid, you know. They like to warm themselves against soft young skin, so if you feel something snuggling up to you--"
"I'm to presume it's a snake?"
"What else could it be?" Eve knew as he haunched down and tied the flapping cuffs of her pants that his mouth was quirked at one side in a wicked little smile. Oh, he'd look after her to the very best of his ability, and he'd get her to Tanga if he could, but he wasn't [54-55] going to deny himself the pleasure of teasing and tantalising her. She was a new sort of experience for him, and she didn't believe for one moment that he regarded her from a paternal angle. His remarks were a little too risqué for that, and somehow he didn't strike her as the type of man to be all that fatherly, even with his own son.
"There, that should keep you fairly secure from the snakes and other pests," he said.
"Do you include yourself in that list?" she asked.
"Almighty curious about my amorous inclinations, aren't you, lady?" He lifted an eyebrow and gave her a look that was just on the edge of being derisive. "It's partly your age, and partly the situation that we're in, so you thank your stars I realise it and don't take your pert remarks for a come-on."
Eve bit her lip and wondered if there was something about this tough mercenary that appealed to instincts deep within her, stirred into life by the dense tropical night and the untamed forces of the jungle. He was so much a part of those forces, with a danger to him that was intensified by their primitive surroundings.
The uniform he wore, and the alert discipline of his mind and body, were indicative of what he was trained to do . . . to overcome a silent enemy and kill in several savage ways if he had to. It was awful for Eve to contemplate, but at the same time it was exciting.
And because of that sense of excitement she was suddenly very wary of him . . . and of herself.
"Ready for bed?" he asked. "I want to make an early start and try to get to Tanga some time tomorrow."
She nodded and tried not to notice that her feelings [55-56] went a little bleak . . . at Tanga they would part and go their separate ways. She to board a plane for England, while he would rejoin his unit in some other part of this rebel-torn country. And back in England her guardian would reinforce his argument that she marry James and settle down to a cosy, unexciting and predictable life. It wouldn't matter to anyone that she didn't love James. He was from a good family and he was a kind, undemanding young man. As her guardian had said, she ought to regard herself as a very lucky young woman.
Lucky? Eve shut her mind to all that, and glanced down at the army blanket which her present guardian was smoothing out beside the low-burning fire in its nest of stones, wafting into the air the acrid tang of woodsmoke.
Ever afterwards when she smelled leaves burning in a wood somewhere, she would think of her flight through the jungle with a mercenary Major, who placed his knapsack for a pillow and indicated that she settle down for the night.
"Near the fire," he said, "so you'll keep warm."
When she hesitated, he raised an eyebrow and silently watched her until she took the place he indicated. He settled the netting around her and wrapped her lower body in the plaid robe. "Comfortable?" he asked.
"Yes--thank you."
"Right." He stood a long moment looking about him, tensed in every nerve for any sound that might not be made by a natural denizen of the jungle. She heard a sliding movement and saw something steely glint in the firelight . . . it was the broad lethal blade of the [56-57] panga which he drew from its leather sheath and placed at his side when he settled down at her side. His shotgun was actually on the blanket between them . . . like the ancient sword of knightly honour, she thought drowsily, there to defend her as if she were his lady fair.
She felt him stretch out and rest his head on the knapsack beside her own head. The white scarf he had twisted loosely about his neck and face and Eve had to bite on her knuckles to suppress a sudden nervous giggle.
"Go to sleep," he ordered, "and give that vivid imagination of yours a rest for the night."
"I-I was just thinking how odd we must look, Major."
"There's no one to see us except the monkeys," he rejoined, "and they won't tell on us. I hope that young man of yours won't think the worse of you for having to bed down for the night with a rough and ready soldier. Is he the tolerant type?"
Eve suspected that James would be shocked to his marrow to learn of her night in the jungle with a tough mercenary, some of whom had the reputation of being less than honourable when it came to women. He would be bound to suspect the worst, but she didn't mind. She had never wanted to marry him . . . now she could feel herself actively recoiling from the idea of belonging to him. He'd probably find it difficult coping with being lost on Hampstead Heath.
"Well, don't worry." This time the Major had not been able to read her thoughts, maybe because he was lying on his back instead of looking into her eyes. "By the time you get back to good old Blighty, this will [57-58] seem like a dream you had and you can invent a story he'll swallow without being awkward. Goodnight, ndito."
"Goodnight, bwana."
Eve heard him laugh softly to himself, for in the Masai [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف] he had called her his girl, and she had called him her boss.

عرض البوم صور ورده قايين  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة