لمشاكل التسجيل ودخول المنتدى يرجى مراسلتنا على الايميل liilasvb3@gmail.com

العودة   منتديات ليلاس > قسم الارشيف والمواضيع القديمة > الارشيف
التسجيل

بحث بشبكة ليلاس الثقافية

الارشيف يحتوي على مواضيع قديمة او مواضيع مكررة او محتوى روابط غير عاملة لقدمها

Loving Eleanor by Natasha Oakley

Loving Eleanor by Natasha Oakley Luke and Susanna Burnett have been married for fifteen months — thirteen of which have been spent at their baby daughter's bedside. Born prematurely with

نسخ الرابط
نسخ للمنتديات

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 03-08-07, 10:01 PM   المشاركة رقم: 1
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 6878
المشاركات: 209
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: nargis عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 16

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

المنتدى : الارشيف
Newsuae2 Loving Eleanor by Natasha Oakley

[Hi , this is my first attempt so i hope you like it
Loving Eleanor[CENTER]
by Natasha Oakley
Luke and Susanna Burnett have been married for fifteen months — thirteen of which have been spent at their baby daughter's bedside. Born prematurely with a condition called Necrotising Enterocolitis, baby Eleanor has spent the majority of her short life in hospital.

While Susanna keeps vigil at their daughter's bedside, Luke deals with his anguish and concern differently, going off to work, barely showing any emotion. His actions convince Susanna even more that Luke only married her because she was pregnant — not because he was in love with her.

Now, desperately in need of a liver transplant, it seems Eleanor has lost her fight for life. Luke and Susanna wait the agonizing hours together while the search for a donor goes on…but in the tumult of their grief, they realize there is more to their relationship than they ever imagined[/CENTER
].

عرض البوم صور nargis  

قديم 03-08-07, 10:07 PM   المشاركة رقم: 2
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : nargis المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Chapter one

Luke Burnett lay flat out on the sand, one arm shading his eyes from the sun. Susanna rolled over and looked at him. He was so sexy. So perfect. And hers.

In two days they'd be married. A lifetime ahead of them. A bubble of pure happiness seemed lodged in the middle of her chest.

His arm moved and his sinful blue eyes opened and glinted across at her. She stirred.

"Where are you going?"

"Nowhere."

He moved swiftly, pinning her beneath him. "I should think not." And then he kissed her. "I'd miss you."

Susanna reached up and smoothed his dark hair back from his forehead.

"Would you? And the baby?"

His mouth twisted into the kind of smile that turned her bones to liquid. "What do you think?"

And then he was kissing her again…and she couldn't think. Her fingers curled into his dark hair and she forgot about everything except how much she loved him. How much she wanted to be with him.

For a few blissful hours while she slept, everything in Susanna's world had been perfect…but now she was back in reality.

She opened her eyes and felt the familiar sense of despair return. As it always did. Day after day.

Eleanor was dying.

Her little girl. Her baby. The knowledge thumped through her head with each beat of her heart and every morning it was the same.

While she slept she had a few hours respite. A brief interlude where she could make-believe she had a life like any other mother of a thirteen-month-old little girl.

But it was make-believe and, in many ways it made it worse when she woke. As soon as she opened her eyes the bleakness closed in around her with fresh impact. She was back in a long dark tunnel that stretched out endlessly before her without the slightest glimmer of daylight.

Today would be like yesterday…and tomorrow like today. She would sit beside Eleanor's tiny bed and try to ignore the tubes that connected her daughter to the ventilator that kept her alive. She would reach out and hold the perfectly formed little hand and pray.

Susanna rubbed at her eyes trying to erase the spike of pain that had settled in the centre of her forehead.

Necrotising Enterocolitis.

Before Eleanor was born she hadn't known such a condition existed. Now she couldn't imagine a day where she didn't think those two words and understand exactly what they meant to her daughter.

They were a death sentence. Probably.

Susanna rolled over and looked at the luminous hands on her alarm clock. There was never any need to set it. She woke with depressing regularity in the early hours of the morning.

"What time is it?" Luke asked beside her, his voice heavy with sleep.

"Just after three."

She heard the slow exhale of breath, his determination to keep calm.

"I'm sorry I woke you." She was always sorry she woke him. There was nothing she'd like better than to be able to sleep through until morning. But…

She rolled out of bed and padded across to her dressing gown, wrapping the long robe around her body.

"What time did you say it was?"

Susanna looked over her shoulder. "Just after three. I'm going to make a cup of tea. Do you want one?"

She watched him struggle to sit up. "Susanna, come back to bed. Get some sleep."

They'd played this scene out over and over. She knew it irritated him but she couldn't just lie there. The thought of Eleanor, so many miles away, tenaciously fighting for her life, crowded in on her. It made her restless.

"I'll sleep better after I've had a hot drink." Which was a lie. She never slept better. Susanna watched the lines furrow his forehead and turned away not wanting to hear anything else he had to say.

"Susanna —"

"I'll be fine." She pulled tight the final knot in her dressing-gown sash. "Go back to sleep."

Luke pushed back the duvet and she caught a glimpse of the athletic physique that had first attracted her. It seemed a lifetime ago now. So much had happened since then; it hardly seemed worth remembering. Their marriage had never stood a chance.

"I'll have a cup of tea."

"What?"

He reached out and picked up his own dressing gown from the rail of the footboard. "If you're making tea, I'll have some."

Susanna looked across at him, shocked. This wasn't the way they played this game. He never said "yes." He always rolled over in the pale blue covered duvet and went back to sleep. "I could bring it up."

She saw the faint shake of his head. "Put the kettle on. I'll come down."

It amazed her how much she resented him joining her. This was her private time. A time she desperately needed.

She was used to the steady tick of the clock, the creak of the floorboards and the sense of peace. In the quiet of the night she always felt she could think. She could remember everything about Eleanor's short life, from her traumatic birth at twenty-eight weeks to the severe liver failure that threatened her now.

In the morning she would need to be strong. Every atom in her body focused on willing their daughter to live. She needed the night to grieve.

"Okay." It didn't seem worth arguing. Luke would do what he wanted to do — he always did.

Susanna hit the landing switch and let the harsh light illuminate the sweeping mahogany staircase. Her bare feet were silent on the thick carpet as she made her way downstairs.

Luke Burnett had been all she'd ever wanted. She'd idolized him since she'd been fourteen. Loved him since her eighteenth birthday party. It was strange, now, to know there was such a chasm between them. Such a gaping hole that now she even resented his company.

Luke had been the golden boy. Handsome, clever and rich. He'd succeeded at anything and everything he'd turned his hand to.

And he'd married her.

She'd thought she'd struck gold. That some mythical fairy had sprinkled some stardust and answered her secret dreams. Luke…and a baby. Their baby. How good could it get? She'd built such dreams around the birth of their first child. The first of three, maybe four.

She'd hoped.

Every foolish daydream mocked her now. She'd skipped into this nightmare, never dreaming of what lay in store for them.

Susanna filled the kettle.

"How long have you been awake?" Luke asked, his hair tousled and his face sleepy in the kitchen doorway.

"Not long."

The silence stretched out between them, awkward and uncomfortable.

Luke walked farther into the room, resting his hand on the granite worktop. "Did Dr. Lane say anything about the search for a suitable liver donor when you spoke to her yesterday?"

"No." Susanna reached for the teapot.

She'd been told what she already knew — that her daughter was a very sick little girl. With infinite care, Susanna knew she was being prepared for the day when they would tell her Eleanor had died.

She knew, without a transplant, it couldn't be long. Day after day, sitting beside Eleanor, with a tiny pink teddy bear she was too ill to notice tucked in at her daughter's side. White tubes pushed up her daughter's nostrils and another taped to her mouth. How could she not know?

"No progress at all?"

"No." She poured in the boiling water.

"I wondered if she'd said something that…upset you?"

"No." There was nothing the doctor could say that would upset her more than the fears already existing in her head. Nothing worse than sitting beside Eleanor, her little face swollen and yellow and her life hanging by a thread.

Susanna turned in time to see Luke rub a hand against the back of his neck.

Just fifteen months after they'd married each other and there was really nothing left to say. It was as though they'd each become locked inside separate worlds and there was no bridging it.

But then Eleanor was all there'd ever been that had connected them. Once Susanna might have tried to convince herself differently, but deep down she knew. Luke would never have married a girl like her if she hadn't been pregnant with his baby.

In the handful of months they'd had together before Eleanor's birth, he'd been incredible. Her knight in shining armor. Everything a husband should be. There was just one thing missing…

He didn't love her. Had never loved her

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 03-08-07, 10:09 PM   المشاركة رقم: 3
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter two

During their short engagement and the early weeks of their marriage, Susanna had allowed herself to hope Luke loved her. He was so passionate and exciting.

She'd told herself no one got married for the sake of a baby, anymore. She'd tried to imagine the night they'd created Eleanor was the result of a mutual and overwhelming desire. Something magical.

But you could only go on lying to yourself for so long.

He'd never once said he loved her. Not on their wedding day. Or during Eleanor's premature birth. Not even when they'd first heard the words Necrotising Enterocolitis.

He'd married her because she was pregnant with his baby. Because he was too good a man to leave her to cope with the consequences alone. Deep down she'd always known that, from the very beginning when he'd slipped the wedding band on her finger.

But she'd hoped and dreamed of the day when he'd realize he'd loved her all along. Only that hadn't happened. Instead, they'd been locked into the nightmare of Eleanor's illness, a huge wedge between them.

Susanna lifted the lid of the teapot and stirred the *******s, acutely aware of Luke watching her. "I think I'll pack a bag and stay at the hospital for the next few nights."

Luke's fingers moved on the worktop.

"You're supposed to be getting some rest."

She shrugged. "I find it easier if I can see her."

"Susanna, she's getting the best possible care. She's — "

"In the best place. I know."

It was what everyone said, but she didn't believe that. The best place would be home with her, well and happy. At thirteen months, she should be getting into everything, starting to walk, making sounds they could both pretend were words…

Susanna focused all her attention on what she was doing. She poured the milk into two cobalt blue mugs and carefully added the tea.

"You'll be ill yourself if you don't pace yourself."

Susanna wanted to scream at him that he didn't understand. That her world had shrunk to the hospital where Eleanor spent her days tied to a ventilator, whereas he still spent his in the outside world pursuing a lucrative career as an investment banker. It was only on evenings and weekends that he touched the agony that was her day-to-day existence.

She said nothing. Instead, her fingers closed around her warm mug and she sipped the hot tea.

"You could get more involved in the campaign to try and find a donor," Luke suggested, reaching out for his own drink. "Do something practical. The local paper is going to run a story on Eleanor and the hope is it'll be picked up by the nationals. They want to print a few pictures —"

"No." The word shot from her mouth.

Luke looked across at her. "What do you mean?"

"I don't want Eleanor's face plastered all over the paper. I don't want people seeing all the tubes and…" She covered her face with a hand and tried to fight back the tears.

Luke watched helplessly. He understood what Susanna was really saying — that she didn't want Eleanor to be ill. But she was…and the best chance, the only chance, Eleanor had was for a liver donor to be found.

"It's an excellent opportunity," he said carefully. "I contacted them last week and I had a phone call yesterday from one of the reporters. I meant to tell you…but you came back from the hospital so late. The idea is to appeal directly to bereaved families. The wider the net, the better our chance of finding a compatible match."

She looked up, her eyes rimmed red. "But why do they need photos?"

"To make it feel personal. It's a difficult decision for anyone to make, and they have to make it at an impossible time."

Luke had struggled with that thought himself. For Eleanor to live, someone else would have had to have died. Another man's child.

But he was desperate. His love for his daughter meant that he'd do anything. Ask anything. He'd happily donate his own liver if it would mean Eleanor could live.

What he couldn't cope with was standing helplessly by, watching her fade away. He hated the feeling of powerlessness, of events being so far outside his control. It was better to focus on the positive, on what could be done, rather than spend hour upon hour, like Susanna did, watching each assisted breath.

It was easier, too, not seeing Susanna cry. He hated that. Her face was red and blotchy from tears and lack of sleep. She looked like someone who was merely existing…which he supposed she was. And there was not a damn thing he could do about it.

"They want to do a real 'tug on the heartstrings' piece. Perhaps, have you looking down at Eleanor?"

Susanna's mouth moved in a soundless "no."

He reached forward to take hold of her hand, but she pulled it away. She tried to make it look as though she needed it to hold her mug. It didn't fool him.

Susanna couldn't cope with him touching her. Not for comfort. Not for anything. Her attention was focused entirely on their daughter. Everyone else had been pushed away and shut out. The only thing that mattered to Susanna was Eleanor. And Eleanor was dying.

"They think a headline like Mother's Vigil might reach the parents of potential donors," he continued tonelessly. "Touch their emotions and make them want to bring something good out of their own tragedy."

"I — I can't

."Susanna's voice was a whisper but he heard it. "We can talk about it later. I haven't said we'll do it." He drained the last of his tea. "I'm going to try and get some sleep. You?"

She shook her head — as he'd known she would. "I'll read down here for a bit." Luke knew she wouldn't. She would curl up in the brown leather armchair and cry. Racking sobs that tore into him and made him hurt with an intensity he hadn't imagined existed.

And there was nothing he could do. Not for Eleanor. Not for Susanna. He set his mug down on the worktop. "I'll leave the landing light on."

"Thanks."

It was easier to pretend. He watched her turn and carefully place her empty mug in the dishwasher, then his own, and knew she didn't want him to see her face.

She'd shut him out.

She always shut him out. Her grief was so overwhelming…so all encompassing. She made him feel guilty when he came home and he hadn't thought about Eleanor for several hours.

There were moments in his working day when he could forget the lead weight settled in his heart. It wasn't like that for Susanna. Whole swathes of her time were spent at the hospital and when she was prized away her mind was still there.

Some days, God help him, it took everything he had not to stay in the car and keep driving. He felt trapped. Angry.

For the first time in his life there was nothing he could do that would change things. He could work on raising the profile of organ donation, but it felt like he was chipping away at a mountain.

It changed very little.

He paused at the doorway, wanting to say something that would help her.

"Eleanor's a determined little thing —"

"She's dying."

He felt like she'd slapped him. "I know."

Susanna turned away, her blond hair dull and lifeless. The soft highlights that had streaked her hair when they'd gotten married had grown out and her layers were overlong.

It was months of not caring. So different from the bright, vivacious woman he'd married.

Not that he'd had much choice. Five months pregnant with his child, he'd felt it was the only thing he could do.

Twenty-six years old, midway through a law degree, Susanna had told him the news. She was pregnant and she was keeping the baby.

His baby.

Her brown eyes had been completely fearless, but he'd known she couldn't have been feeling like that. Both her parents had died, an only child…

There'd been no choice. He'd taken a deep breath and asked her to marry him. And then she'd smiled. It had started in her eyes and spread out from there. Her face had lit up as though a light had switched on inside her…and he'd felt great.

It wasn't what he'd planned. He hadn't felt ready for marriage or children. But making a final commitment was always going to be difficult and, he'd told himself, it might even be better this way.

He hadn't understood what he was doing.

"Go to bed, Luke. I'll be fine." She wrapped her arms about her body. "You need to get some sleep if you're going to work tomorrow."

"What about you?"

Her face twisted. "I'll survive."

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 03-08-07, 10:12 PM   المشاركة رقم: 4
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter three

Even if Luke hadn't been called into the hospital, Susanna would have known it was bad news when Dr. Rosemary Lane shut the door of her office. Susanna glanced across at her husband, glad he was with her if only because it meant she wouldn't have to tell him what had been said.

He stood with his hands in the pockets of his jeans, a small muscle pulsing in his cheek. It was the only sign he gave of any sort of inner turmoil.

It angered her that he could remain so calm. It made her feel so alone. Her mind was pulsing with fear at what the head of the liver transplant unit might be about to tell them, but when she looked at Luke, she saw…nothing. Just that tiny muscle clench and unclench.

"Eleanor is an incredible little girl," Professor Lane said as she sat down. "Mr Burnett…Luke, would you like to take a seat?"

Reluctantly, he sat where she indicated. Susanna tried her best to swallow the hard lump that had settled in her throat as she waited for what would come next.

"Eleanor's a real fighter…"

Susanna heard the scrape of Luke's chair as he pushed it backward, the sound of feet in the corridor outside.

"But…I'm afraid she's also one of the sickest children we've seen in the unit for a very long time." Dr. Lane looked from one parent to the other. "The infection she caught two weeks ago has led to a dramatic deterioration in her condition and I think —" she paused again, her voice kind " —I think we're at the stage where we must now consider using a liver from a different blood type."

Susanna nodded because she knew it was expected. Her eyes fixed on the other woman's as though they were a lifeline.

"Is that possible?" Luke asked beside her.

Dr. Lane turned to look at him. "It's possible, but not ideal. As you know, Eleanor's rare AB blood type is only found in approximately two percent of the population and she is running out of time. If successful, a transplant now, albeit using a less-than-perfect match, will keep her alive until a more suitable donor can be found."

The words were stark in their simplicity. Susanna felt the explosion in her head, the panic and the screaming fear.

Each time, every time, she'd thought she'd heard the worst. It was like facing the sea, with wave after wave crashing down upon her. Unstoppable.

Luke cleared his throat. "There doesn't seem to be any choice."

"Very little," Professor Lane agreed. "We need a donor very quickly. Eleanor is struggling to stay alive. Every day we wait is a risk."

"What are the chances of one being found in time?"

Susanna sat in numbed shock. All she'd really heard was the fact that her baby was running out of time. She'd known that, but hearing the words sent ice coursing through her veins. Then she felt the pain. Long fingers gripping her heart and squeezing tight until she thought it would have to stop beating.

A shadow passed over Dr. Lane's face. "Parents whose children have just died are naturally reluctant to donate the organs of their loved ones and it's difficult for health professionals to approach them."

"So, it's not likely?" Luke's voice sounded overloud in the quiet confines of the small office space.

Susanna glanced across at him, but Professor Lane answered calmly, "We have to hope that there are some very special people out there who can use their own tragedy to save Eleanor."

Luke sat back in his chair and raised a hand to shield his eyes.

"Would you like a cup of tea? A moment together to discuss what I've told you?"

A moment together? Susanna didn't know how to answer that. How did other parents manage in a situation like this? Did they cling to each other, united in their grief?

Their marriage wasn't like that. Had never been like that. She didn't even know how Luke was really feeling. They didn't talk about things like that. Their conversations were entirely practical. If she cried he turned away.

What would it be like now to have Luke hold her? Loving and supportive? Her throat was sore with the effort of not crying, her eyes were smarting and her head ached…and she couldn't tell him how she was feeling.

Couldn't tell him because he didn't seem to care. Or didn't want to care. Luke let his hand fall. "We've got to go to the papers. If the story gets taken up by the nationals there's a small chance it will hit someone's doormat at the right time and they'll act with their hearts. Susanna?"

Her mind seemed like it was full of fog. She couldn't think quickly. Didn't really understand what he was talking about.

"A nationwide appeal would certainly be helpful," Professor Lane said, standing up. "I'll leave you alone to discuss it. Perhaps, you'd like to take a walk together outside in the sunshine? We've a couple of tests we need to run on Eleanor in the next few minutes."

Her shoes clicked against the hospital floor and the door shut with a quiet thud.

"Susanna?"

She turned to look at him, her eyes blind with grief.

"I need to call the local paper now. They need to do the story straightaway."

His words shot at her like bullets from a gun. There was no escape. She nodded.

"Did you hear what I said? We need to do the story now."

Susanna stood up and brushed a hand across her eyes. "Whatever."

Her arms felt heavy and her legs no longer seemed to want to take her weight. She just wanted the night to close in on her so she could shut all of this out. Every hateful moment. The pain was too much. Far, far too much.

Luke caught her as her body swayed, his hands holding her arms and forcing her to look at him. "Susanna, we can do this. Eleanor can do this. Don't give up on her now."

His eyes were bright blue, startling against the dark brown of his hair — and strong.

Why could he do this and she couldn't?

She felt like a shaken rag doll, so punch-drunk she could scarcely stand.

Susanna felt the first tear fall, hot against her cheek. "I'm scared," she whispered.

His right hand slid up her arm and gently held her face, his thumb stroking away the trail of moisture. "I'm scared, too."

His admission surprised her, as did the warm feeling of his fingers against her skin. Susanna ached to curl in against him. Have his strength wrap itself around her. She wanted so much to believe Luke would one day love her. That their marriage might become something beautiful.

"E-Eleanor might die."

"I know." She heard the tremor in his voice and then felt his arms close around her. Her heart hammered against her chest. Nothing had changed. She still wanted him. Loved him. "Eleanor hasn't lost yet." His fingers threaded through her hair and his hand cradled her head.

He hadn't held her for so long. She closed her eyes and let her body relax against his. She'd almost forgotten how wonderful this felt.

The subtle scent of a masculine body spray mingled with something that was entirely Luke. The steady beat of his heart beneath her fingers as they rested against his chest. It felt like she was standing in the eye of the storm. Right here, right now, she was at peace.

It was a dangerous feeling. He made her feel cared for, loved even — but she knew it had no basis in reality. Luke was a good man, a passionate man, a man who would have loved her if he could.

She had to remember that the only reason he was with her was because of Eleanor. And if their daughter died…he would leave her

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 04-08-07, 08:25 PM   المشاركة رقم: 5
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter four
Susanna made herself pull away from the comfort of being held by Luke. It would have been easy to let herself rest against his chest, to feel his arms around her and imagine he really wanted to hold her.

But, it was an illusion. She knew she'd trapped Luke into this marriage. She hadn't meant to. Her pregnancy had been a shock — even the night Eleanor had been created had been a surprise.

She'd loved him for so long…and when he'd kissed her she'd been lost. No part of her mind had thought of anything but how it felt to have his lips on hers, his hands moving over her body.

It might have been a sin, it was certainly wrong, but she'd wanted him…whatever the consequences.

Eleanor was that consequence. And because he was a fantastic man he stayed. She wasn't a fool. She knew she was his second best. Not the woman he would have chosen.

And if Eleanor died…he would be free. Had he thought of that?

Susanna turned and brushed away the tears on her face. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."

"I don't know why!"

"I need to be strong for Eleanor."

She heard the soft expletive he muttered under his breath. "You are strong for her. You're bloody amazing."

He stretched out his hand and she couldn't do anything but hold out her own.

His fingers threaded through hers, so dark against the paleness of her skin.

"Let's make the call to the newspaper. It might not work, but at least we'll know we tried everything we could."

There was no choice. Eleanor's life hung in the balance. "Okay."

"We need to go outside. I can't use the cell phone from here."

Susanna nodded.

He led her out of the office, along the corridors painted in soothing pink and out into a bright May morning. Cocooned inside the hospital walls she'd almost forgotten there was a world outside.

Luke let go of her hand and Susanna sat on the nearest bench. Somewhere on the third floor medical staff was seeing to her baby, replacing tubes and giving her injections they didn't want her to see.

She watched Luke take his cell phone and a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket, and then key in the number he had written down. Even hearing just the one side of the conversation, she understood it all.

Luke's crisp voice explained Eleanor's condition. He talked about timescales and [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]s. He gave directions to the ward Eleanor was on and agreed to meet a man called Brian in the reception area at three o'clock.

As he ended the call, he glanced across at her. "It's settled."

Susanna nodded, and knotted her hands together in her lap.

"They're coming today. This afternoon."

Again she nodded.

"Brian Hartman and a woman called Veronica Lewis. She's the photographer."

Susanna felt the tears well up behind her eyes and bit down hard on her lip.

She'd seen articles like this many times over the years. She'd looked at the pictures of desperately ill children and anguished washed-out women and felt an abstract kind of sympathy. She'd never taken the time to imagine the heartache behind the pictures.

And now she was to be the anguished washed-out woman — and Eleanor the child.

Luke sat down beside her. His eyes fixed on her profile. "Do you want to get a coffee?"

"No."

He glanced down at his wristwatch. "We ought to give them a few more minutes with Eleanor before we go back up."

Susanna nodded and then turned to look at him. "Do you think she's going to die?"

She saw the sudden movement of his throat and watched his eyes skit away.

"Luke?" she prompted.

He turned back to look at her. "I don't know."

"Perhaps, we ought to ring your parents? Ask them to come to the hospital?"

Luke shook his head. "I've telephoned them. They know what's going on…but she's our little girl. She needs us."

Us. Susanna let the word swirl about her mind. Luke had married her because he believed their child needed a mother and a father.

She'd married him because she'd needed him. "Do you remember the day I told you I was expecting Eleanor?"

"I remember." His eyes scanned the sky.

"What did you really think? Honestly?"

Think? He turned back to look at her, trying to understand the question. Think? He wasn't sure he knew what he'd thought.

She was pregnant…and it was his baby.

Susanna leaned over and picked a single stem of lavender. "I nearly didn't tell you. It didn't seem right, though. To just have your baby and not tell you anything about it."

God, no. He swallowed painfully. "What made you change your mind?"

"Arlene Peacock. Do you remember her?"

He nodded.

"She used to help out at the post office on Tuesdays. I felt sick one day and she got me a glass of water. She guessed…"

Luke frowned with the effort of trying to understand where his wife was going with this. Her eyes were fixed on a small spot in the distance, her mind far away.

"Not about you." She glanced across at him, a wavering smile touching her lips. "Just about the baby. She asked me if I'd told the father."

"And you hadn't?"

Susanna shook her head, her fingers picking at the lavender. "Would you have preferred not to know?"

"Of course not." Or would he? Sometimes, during the past few months he'd thought about what it might have been like if Eleanor hadn't been born. If Susanna hadn't cried that night, when their daughter was conceived…

She seemed to read his mind. "I shouldn't have married you." Her eyes turned back to look at the shredded lavender stalk. "I always knew you didn't love me."

And he couldn't speak. His mind, usually so sharp, couldn't think of one single intelligent thing to say.

"I was wrong to do that to you."

Luke swallowed hard. "We made the baby together."

"Yes, but I knew I wasn't taking any precautions."

"So did I."

She shook her head, but then she said, "I was so glad not to have to do the whole baby thing on my own. When you asked me to marry you, I just said yes. I shouldn't have done that."

"Susanna —"

"No, let me finish." She threw the shorn lavender stalk on the ground and plucked at another. "Whatever happens now with Eleanor…" Her voice wavered. "Let's stop pretending. We made a great little girl, and we love her…"

Luke couldn't bear to hear any more. He watched the trembling of her lips and the shimmer that covered her eyes. "This isn't the time —"

"I know. I just wanted you to know…well, for you to know that I know you don't love me."

And Luke felt like he'd been punched in the solar plexus. Hard — with a fist as solid as a cannonball

عرض البوم صور nargis  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة