مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : nargis المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Chapter five

Luke wanted to find words to reassure Susanna. In an ideal world he would have put his arm around her and told her to stop talking nonsense. Told her that, of course, he loved her. That their marriage wasn't a mistake.

But …

She wanted him to know that she knew. Simple. Dignified. Just as Susanna always was.

She smiled, her eyes honest and brave. "We'd better go back in. Are you coming?"

He swallowed. "I-In a moment."

For a second he thought she was going to say something else, but she nodded and turned away.

His wife.

His.

The woman who said she knew he'd never loved her.

Luke's eyes clouded over as he thought about that. He'd been married to Susanna for fifteen months and he'd never known she'd nearly not told him about Eleanor.

He didn't even know why she'd decided to sleep with him that night. The need to be close to someone? Anyone?

He didn't know.

How was it possible you could share your life with someone and know so little about them? Why hadn't he asked those questions?

He'd blithely assumed this was his life. He'd resented it, but he'd never really questioned it. And, there'd seemed to be so much time.

Luke glanced up at the third story window where Susanna and Eleanor were. It was all changing now.

Eleanor was dying, and Susanna…

What?

Susanna had chosen the difficult path. She always did.

She'd chosen to keep their baby when many other women would have terminated the pregnancy without anyone knowing. She'd brought Eleanor home and given her five special weeks. She'd [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]ved the final year of her degree to care for their baby.

She'd told him she knew he didn't love her…

Who was she, this woman he'd married?

Luke stood up and twisted the wedding ring on the third finger of his left hand. There was so much he wanted to know.

How did she feel about him?

In the beginning there'd been moments when he'd wondered if she loved him. If she had, he'd done nothing to foster it.

And suddenly it mattered. He had to know what he'd thrown away so carelessly.

Veronica Lewis, the photographer, knew what she was doing. She waited until Eleanor was sleeping and positioned the small pink teddy bear so its face peaked out of the hospital blanket.

"Mrs Bennett, if you would look down at Eleanor. Perhaps, rest your chin on your hands?"

Susanna leaned forward on the hospital chair and overlapped her hands. It was all so orchestrated and artificial. Luke hated it.

"Can you think about how Eleanor might be feeling now?"

He wanted to shove the photographer aside for such a crass remark. He watched the flicker of pain pass over Susanna's face as she schooled her features to give what was wanted.

Her chin rested next to the narrow wedding band he'd given her. No engagement ring. There hadn't been time.

And he hadn't thought.

Had she wanted one? Had she dreamed of a large white wedding with a four-piece band?

"That's beautiful. Thank you." Veronica Lewis straightened and looked across at her colleague. "I have everything I need."

Brian Hartman nodded and smiled at Luke. "That's it. We'll try and get the pictures in the paper this weekend."

"Thank you."

"No guarantees, of course, but a human interest story…anything we can do to help," he said, stretching out his hand.

Luke went through the motions. Out of the corner of his eye he watched Susanna stand up, her fingers stroking lightly across Eleanor's bare chest. Almost an apology.

He saw the dark smudges beneath his wife's eyes, the exhaustion that hung about her frame.

Veronica packed away her camera and turned to Susanna. "I hope your little girl pulls through."

Susanna's smile wavered, the tears she'd kept back until then slowly formed in her eyes and softly tumbled over.

Luke moved. His hand snaked around her waist and he held her tight against his body.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, her voice muffled.

"You did great." He felt her shudder and heard the first heartrending sob. Luke gathered her closer.

He saw Veronica wave a hand in goodbye, but he kept his arms tightly around his wife. There was nothing more important than this.

Her fingers clutched at his shirt and her tears wet the thin cotton fabric. There was nothing he could do but hold her.

Every sob, every heartrending gulp, tore into him. He felt so helpless, so…impotent…to do anything. His hand moved through her hair feeling the long blond silkiness and he closed his eyes and prayed. He hadn't prayed since he was a child, but everything seemed so overwhelming.

Gradually, her sobs quietened and she stood exhausted in the circle of his arms. Her cheek lay warm against his chest and he felt how right it was she should be there.

It had always felt right. The first time, in his parents' home…

An amazing, sexy night. Beyond anything he'd ever experienced before. It had felt…cosmic. As though the heavens had shifted and, suddenly, everything was right in his world.

Luke rested his chin on the top of her head. What would it have been like if he hadn't left for New York the weekend after? If he'd rung her up and they'd gone out to dinner? Talked?

What if…

Her body felt warm and soft. He let his fingers move across her back, hoping that she would understand what he was trying to convey, even though he wasn't sure of what it was himself.

Susanna sighed and then pulled away, her fingers wiping at her eyes. "I'm sorry to cry all over you."

"It's been a long time since you have." Her eyes flicked up to his and back to Eleanor. Luke moved closer, his hand resting lightly on Eleanor's crib. "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you stop crying in front of me?"

Susanna looked up, her eyes enormous in her white face. "It was all I was doing."

It wasn't the real answer — and she knew it.

Luke reached down and stroked the top of Eleanor's head. "I love her, too."

She didn't doubt that. Had never doubted it. "I know that."

"Then why, Susanna? Why couldn't we have cried together?"

She looked up into his face. Luke's eyes were a murky blue, like a troubled sea.

He really didn't know.

That seemed unbelievable to her. There were so many reasons, but, perhaps, the main one was the shuttered look on his face when he walked through the front door. A masklike control.

And she'd never felt so lonely. She'd poured over photographs of Eleanor and ached for her little girl. She'd suffered with each and every operation her daughter had undergone.

If Luke had loved her, perhaps, they'd have drawn closer. Instead, she'd been alone. Isolated.

"We began wrong," she said gently, aware of the nurse sitting quietly in the corner

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 04-08-07, 08:30 PM   المشاركة رقم: 7
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 6878
المشاركات: 209
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: nargis عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 16

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

chapter six
Susanna saw the whiplash effect her words had. She hadn't meant to hurt him. Luke must have known they'd begun badly.

He must have felt it.

The nurse stood up and checked the monitors. She paused and smiled. "Eleanor is very peaceful. Why don't you take the opportunity to get something to eat?"

Susanna couldn't imagine eating. Everything tasted like cardboard these days. She glanced down at Eleanor's sleeping face.

"If she needs us we can be fetched," Luke said quietly.

Susanna looked from Eleanor to Luke and then back to the nurse. Annie's solid good sense radiated from every pore — and Eleanor liked her.

"I'll be here all the time," Annie said. "And your husband's right. I'll have you called if there's the slightest change."

Reluctantly, Susanna nodded. "I'll be in The Swannery." The sandwich shop was a great alternative to the main cafeteria, as it was a lot quieter.

Vaguely, she was aware of Luke behind her. She went to the locker and pulled out her handbag. She turned to face him. "It's probably a good idea to get some food. It's going to be a long night."

He nodded.

Susanna knew her way to The Swannery blindfolded. She'd spent so many hours there over the past year. It was bright and clean, with emerald green trelliswork trying to give the impression you'd stumbled into a bistro.

"What do you mean 'began wrong'?" Luke asked as soon as they were out in the corridor.

Susanna kept her eyes focused on the double doors ahead. "I'm not a fool. I know how much you gave up for Eleanor."

"I've never said that."

"No." He hadn't. Perhaps, it would have been better if he had.

He'd been twenty-six. The world had been opening up before him. Luke could have done anything. Gone anywhere. Instead, he'd tied himself to a woman he didn't love for the sake of his baby.

It had taken her a while to understand that. She'd wanted to believe the fairytale. Most of her still did.

"But you can't pretend you married me because you wanted to be with me…can you?"

She saw his eyes flick away and then back again. He couldn't say that. Susanna strode on through the double doors and paused at the elevator. She reached inside her handbag and rummaged inside for a pack of tissues.

"Why did you sleep with me that night?" Luke asked abruptly.

The elevator doors opened and Susanna stumbled inside. To answer that question was to bare her soul. She'd slept with him because it was everything she'd ever wanted.

She looked up at him. It had been like being transported from the slums of Calcutta to Buckingham Palace. "I don't know."

"I don't believe you."

The lift doors closed. Susanna stepped forward and pushed the ground floor button. The lift shuddered and started its decent.

Luke laid a hand on her arm. "Susanna, I need to know."

Perhaps, he did. They'd gone from being almost friends…to being lovers…to being parents far too quickly. And Eleanor was his child, too.

"It just happened," she said huskily. Her fingers trembled as she searched for the string that would open the packet.

"That's no answer. I don't even know why you were at my parents' house."

"I was their cleaner. It was my part-time job."Luke shook his head. "Not at nine o'clock at night. Susanna?"

His blue eyes seemed to bore into her soul. Everything he said was true. She shouldn't have been there so late. In fact, she shouldn't have been there at all. Marilyn and Robert had flown to Barcelona for a week's holiday. The house had been left spotless.

But she'd had a key, and Marilyn had told her to use the house as her own. Susanna pulled out a tissue and fiercely blew her nose.

That night she'd really wanted to escape the well-meaning sympathy of friends. It had seemed like such a good idea. If she'd known Luke was going to be there she wouldn't have gone.

Or would she?

"The telephone kept ringing at home. Really nice people wanting to say really nice things about Dad…but I'd got tired of hearing them."

"So you went to escape?"

Susanna nodded. "Your mum said I could. If it all got too much. My aunt had gone back home that morning. She'd stayed for a couple of days after dad's funeral…"

"I remember. You said."

Susanna pushed the door of The Swannery open. "I really missed her when she left. I hadn't realised quite how much she'd been shielding me."

"So you went to my parents' house." Luke picked up a tray.

She glanced across at him, then back at the counter. "Then you came home."

Luke knew that part of the story. He'd opened the front door and had heard a noise. His first thought had been that he'd disturbed burglars.

Only it hadn't been. It had been a beautiful blonde. She'd been dressed in jeans and an oversized sweater that kept slipping off her shoulder. It had been classic student dress, but he'd found it amazingly sexy.

He remembered that.

She'd seemed almost as shocked as he was when he'd walked in, but he'd persuaded her to stay. He'd opened a bottle of wine and they'd sat and talked. Endlessly. She'd told him about her law degree, her ambition to become a lawyer and her failed French 'A' Level. He knew her favorite flowers were lilies of the valley and she'd told him why. It had been the only flower her mother had let her pick in the garden as a child.

He'd forgotten that.

It had been a wonderful evening. He hadn't wanted it to end. When she'd looked at her watch and suggested she ought to leave he'd persuaded her to stay the night. There were plenty of bedrooms…and he'd opened another bottle of wine.

"I just want a coffee," Susanna said at his elbow.

He looked down at her, and for the first time in months he saw the woman he'd met that night. "I'll bring it over. Do you want to pick somewhere to sit?"

She nodded. Luke watched her walk across to a table by the [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف] She put her handbag on the floor and leant forward with her head in her hands, elbows on the table.

This couldn't be the life she'd planned for herself. He felt like he'd been struck over the head with a bat. He'd been so focused on doing the right thing, on how he was feeling…he'd scarcely thought about Susanna.

About how much she'd given up.

He put two coffees on the tray and selected two plastic wrapped sandwiches — one ham, one cheese — and then he lined up to pay.

Luke caught sight of Susanna as she ran her fingers through her hair and fixed unseeing eyes on the view outside.

He'd never asked her how she'd felt when she first discovered she was pregnant. By the time she told him he was going to be a father, all the important decisions had been taken.

The consequences of deciding to keep her baby had been as far-reaching for her as him. Her law degree had been abandoned; all her hopes of being a barrister had been put aside.

And she'd done it freely. It made him feel ashamed at how much he'd resented the changes in his own life.

Luke set the tray down on the table and waited until Susanna looked up. He sat in the chair opposite. "Now tell me why you slept with me
?"

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 06-08-07, 05:48 PM   المشاركة رقم: 8
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jul 2007
العضوية: 33118
المشاركات: 270
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: Mai Ziyada عضو على طريق الابداعMai Ziyada عضو على طريق الابداع
نقاط التقييم: 152

االدولة
البلدSudan

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
Mai Ziyada غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Thanks nargis, it seems to be an interesting novel, I didn't read it yet as i am out of country with limited Internet access and thus will wait till you finish it and read it completemai

عرض البوم صور Mai Ziyada  
قديم 06-08-07, 09:34 PM   المشاركة رقم: 9
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

اقتباس :-   المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة Mai Ziyada مشاهدة المشاركة

Thanks nargis, it seems to be an interesting novel, I didn't read it yet as i am out of country with limited Internet access and thus will wait till you finish it and read it completemai

You are welcome mai and i promise you that it will be finished soon

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 06-08-07, 10:48 PM   المشاركة رقم: 10
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

[

Chapter seven
Luke's choice of words jarred. He wanted to know why she'd slept with him. Susanna would never have described it like that. As far as she'd been concerned, she'd made love. With every fiber of her being. It had been like coming home.

Susanna reached out and tore open a sachet of Demerara sugar. She watched as the brown crystals sank into her coffee and then she picked up her spoon.

"Susanna?" Luke prompted.

She looked up at him. His eyes were fixed on her face. There was obviously going to be no escape. Slowly, she stirred the dark liquid. "Do you remember the summer you came home for your parents' silver wedding?"

"Y-yes. No." He looked confused. "What's that got to do with anything?"

With meticulous care she laid the spoon on the tray. "I was fourteen. My mum was ill by then, but she managed to come to the garden party. We were all there."

He nodded.

"You'd come back from university specially."

"I remember."

Susanna smiled. It had been a beautiful day and the Burnett's garden was a stunning place to spend a summer afternoon.

"I watched you play tennis. You won."

Luke pulled his coffee nearer. "I don't understand …"

"No. Well." She reached out and picked up the cheese sandwich. Without thinking she pulled back the plastic cover. "You were with some girl who had long red hair."

"Kim Grantham."

Susanna looked up. "Was it? I never knew her name. She was the most glamorous person I'd ever seen." She paused while she took a bite of her sandwich. "And I thought you were gorgeous. I spent months imagining what it would be like to be her."

"And that's why you slept with me?"

Susanna hesitated. To say "yes" would be the easy answer. End of interrogation and they could go on as before. It wouldn't be the truth, though. The silver wedding party had been the beginning.

She'd been fourteen and he'd been twenty. She'd not been in love with him then — but it was the first time she'd noticed him. He'd seemed almost godlike. Perfect.

She

hesitated. "Not exactly. Why is this so important?"Luke picked up the ham sandwich. "Because I don't know the answer."

"It doesn't matter."

"It does to me."

Susanna let a beat of silence pass and then she asked, "Why did you…make love to me?" She chose her words carefully, but Luke didn't seem to notice. His long fingers pulled back the cover on his sandwich and he took it out of the wrapper.

"Because you cried." And then, "I think. I think that's why it happened."

It wasn't the answer she'd been expecting. "Because I cried?"

"I think so."

Not because he'd wanted to. Not because he'd been overcome by passion. Just because she'd cried.

Because he'd felt sorry for her. His words twisted a knife inside her.

Susanna felt angry with herself. Even now, after all the heartache she still allowed herself to hope. There'd been a tiny chink of…something that made her dream of a different answer.

It was time for all this to be over. Past time. She placed her half-eaten sandwich back in the plastic triangle it had come in and pushed it away.

Luke put his own sandwich down. "So you fancied me at fourteen? What happened then?"

Susanna looked up and met his eyes for a moment. She saw in them a confusion that didn't match his voice or the words he was using.

Her fingers played with the rim of her mug. This was the moment of no return. If she told him she'd fallen in love with him at her eighteenth birthday party, dreamed about him every night since, she could never unsay the words.

He would know. Always.

But did that matter now? She'd already decided that whatever happened their marriage needed to end. For both of them.

There was something about telling him Eleanor had been made out of her love for him that really appealed to her. A child should be made out of love.

"When I was eighteen…" I fell in love with you. She even remembered the moment. The exact second when she'd looked across the room at him and known she'd never feel like that about anyone ever again.

Luke frowned. "Your birthday?"

"I had a party. Your mum had arranged it because my mum had died by then, and she wanted to look out for her friend's daughter."

He nodded. "You were home for the Christmas holidays."

In his face she saw the first trace of real understanding. As though he remembered the mistletoe.

"I kissed you."

Susanna kept looking at him. She watched his eyes. They seemed to change color, from gray to blue. In the end it was easy to say the words. They'd been locked up inside her for so long it was almost a relief. "I fell in love with you then."

His mouth moved, but he didn't say anything.

"It was as simple as walking from one room to another. One moment I was suffering an adolescent passion and the next…well, the next I knew I was in love. That I'd met the man I wanted to be with."

Luke brushed a hand through his hair. In some distant recess of her mind, Susanna felt sorry for him. He'd obviously had no idea. He'd started this conversation with no inkling of what she'd say.

"The trouble was, you didn't feel like that."

"I —"

"Don't." Susanna stopped him. She didn't want him to feel bad. It wasn't his fault he couldn't love her. "That night…the first night…I slept with you because I loved you."

She saw the flush hit his cheekbones, the uncertainty in his eyes. "It doesn't matter. Not now. Whatever happens with Eleanor…if she lives or…" She couldn't bring herself to say the words. "Whatever happens now, it doesn't matter. Eleanor will always be your little girl. Our baby. Always."

Susanna reached out and took hold of his hand across the table. His fingers closed around hers. "That's why I said, it's time this all stopped. You tried. Really, really hard."

"No. I — "

"I shouldn't have let you marry me. I always knew you didn't love me. You're a kind, passionate, wonderful man…but it's not enough. I want more. Whatever happens, I think we should get a divorce."

Luke's hand gripped hers. "Susanna, I —"

"You're unhappy…and so am I." Gently, she disengaged his fingers. "I ought to go back up and check on Eleanor. I don't like to think of her on her own."

Luke sat as though a tranquilizer gun had hit him. The mother of his child had just told him she loved and wanted a divorce in the same breath. He knew he nodded and he saw her leave. She glanced back at him once, just as she pushed open the double doors.

He didn't understand how he felt. He didn't understand anything. Susanna had slept with him because she loved him.

All those vague suspicions crystallized into something tangible and real. Susanna loved him. Had loved him.

And she wanted a divorce.

His daughter was dying and his wife wanted a divorce

عرض البوم صور nargis  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات