لمشاكل التسجيل ودخول المنتدى يرجى مراسلتنا على الايميل liilasvb3@gmail.com

العودة   منتديات ليلاس > قسم الارشيف والمواضيع القديمة > الارشيف
التسجيل

بحث بشبكة ليلاس الثقافية

الارشيف يحتوي على مواضيع قديمة او مواضيع مكررة او محتوى روابط غير عاملة لقدمها

Take a Chance on ME by Ann Roth

:dancingmonkeyff8: HI GIRLS . I BRING YOU TODAY A NEW NOVEL : TAKE A CHANCE ON ME ]

نسخ الرابط
نسخ للمنتديات

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 06-07-07, 04:39 PM   المشاركة رقم: 1
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 7370
المشاركات: 363
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: lailajilali8 عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 15

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
lailajilali8 غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

المنتدى : الارشيف
Eating Take a Chance on ME by Ann Roth

Take Chance Roth HI GIRLS . I BRING YOU TODAY A NEW NOVEL : TAKE A Chance ON ME ]

Rumor has it that Forest Glen's favorite son — famed movie director Garth Henderson — has come home at long last! Is this Hollywood heavyweight really trying to escape the media glare after his recent divorce from a certain screen siren? Or could it be that he's looking for a second Chance at love with his high school sweetheart, Iris Norton? After all, guess who's just enrolled his canine companion in Iris's obedience school
?

عرض البوم صور lailajilali8  

قديم 07-07-07, 02:35 PM   المشاركة رقم: 2
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : lailajilali8 المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

chapter one

"Iris! Guess what I just found out?"
Iris Norton smiled at her breathless assistant, who'd started talking before she was even halfway out of her late model sedan. "That today is April Fool's Day?"
Queenie, the female mixed breed Iris had rescued from the pound was very attuned to the humans around her. Yipping, her funny little part-spaniel, part-boxer tail quivering, she danced aroundley as they stood in Iris's gravel driveway on the crisp, sunny morning. As if to say, Hurry and tell us, ley.
Iris calmed her dog with hand signs and a voice command. She couldn't do that with ley, who looked ready to hyperventilate. "What happened? Did somebody play a trick on you at the post office, or maybe at Dobson's General Store?"
ley caught her breath at last. "No tricks. This is real. You'll never guess who's back in town." She barely gave Iris time to think before she blurted out the name. "Forest Glen's own golden boy — Garth Henderson."
"Oh?" Though the air seemed to whoosh from Iris's lungs, she managed to hold on to her smile.
Queenie shot her a worried look then whined softly. Iris leaned down to scratch behind her ears. I'm fine, really.
Oblivious, ley grinned. "You two dated in high school, right?" At twenty-four, she was six years younger than Iris, but everyone in tiny Forest Glen knew that Iris had once "gone steady" with the now-famous movie director. "That's so hot."
It certainly had been. She and Garth had loved each other. They'd lost their virginity together in the backseat of his car, and had talked about getting married someday. Then Garth, who was a year older than Iris, left for college. During Christmas break of his freshman year, he'd seemed tense and unhappy, and they fought continuously. When he suggested they take a break from each other, Iris feared he no longer loved her. After a few strained emails and phone calls, she knew she'd been right, and the break had turned into forever. Garth had stayed away from Forest Glen, even to visit.
Until now.
ley popped the trunk of the sedan. "Word is that he divorced that actress. Now he's building a house on the creek, with plans to live in it between movies. How awesome is that?"
Ages ago Iris had stopped reading stories about Garth and his various actress girlfriends. "I hadn't heard about the divorce," she said.
"It's true. Supposedly he's working on a script for a movie he's wanted to make for years. But all the production people are in L.A." ley gave a puzzled frown. "His parents divorced and moved away years ago. Why in the world would he come back to Forest Glen, especially now?"
"I don't know and I really don't care." Iris scooped up two fat, brown paper packets from ley's trunk.
ley grabbed the remaining two and they headed for the remodeled garage Iris used as her classroom, which stood a convenient dozen yards from the small bungalow she'd inherited from her father.
Certainly Garth's moving here had nothing to do with her, Iris mused. Aside from the flowers and sympathy card he'd sent after her father's death three years ago, she hadn't heard from him in close to twelve years. She'd spent a good portion of those years caring for her father and getting over Garth.
He'd gotten over her far more easily.
As they headed into the classroom, ley glanced at Iris. "What are you going to do if you run into him?"
"Well…" Iris considered the question. Given that there was only one general store, one bank, one post office and one restaurant in town, coming face-to-face with Garth was a likely event. Dread filled her at the thought, but she was over the man, and had been for a long time. "I'll probably say 'hello,' the same as I would with anyone." Then we'll go our separate ways.
Unwilling to discuss the subject further, she opened the ]l storage cabinet behind her battered desk. As she stowed the packages, she sniffed the air. "Liver and chicken, right?"
"Yep, and these biscuits are nice and fresh, just the way you like them."
"Not me," Iris corrected with a grin. "The dogs."
Dogs: large and small, mixed and pure breed. Tonight was the first session of the three-week-long dog obedience class she taught. Meantime…
"I promised to take Mrs. Henry to lunch today, and then to see her cardiologist. She's not supposed to get upset, and you know how she worries when I'm late. I'd best leave now. "
Mrs. Henry, a widow with no family, had been Forest Glen's kindergarten teacher for forty years and a friend to all. When Iris's mother had died twenty years ago, the teacher had stepped in to help Iris and her father. She'd quickly become like family, celebrating holidays and birthdays with them, and later helping Iris take care of her father after his stroke. Now long retired and in frail health, the eighty-year-old remained fiercely independent, refusing to move in with Iris or live in an assisted living facility. So Iris stopped by her tiny apartment often — cleaning, ng, running errands and visiting. Mrs. Henry had been the one to teach Iris how to knit, and still enjoyed the hobby herself. She often helped make the dog sweaters Iris sold online. Since business was brisk,ley made them, too.
"You'll set up the room for tonight and check the web site for orders?" Iris asked.
ley nodded. "And finish the sweaters for those firehouse Dalmatians in Minnesota. If all goes well, I'll pack them up and mail them, too. Send my regards to Mrs. H, and see you tonight."
Hours later, back from an enjoyable visit with Mrs. Henry but a worrisome doctor's appointment — the woman needed bypass surgery but stubbornly refused to have it — Iris set aside her concern and prepared to greet her new class of seven humans and their dogs. She always began the one-hour session promptly at seven. By six forty-five, with ley helping, all participants had paid and checked in.
This was a small town. Iris already knew everyone, and they all knew each other. But as was her custom, she welcomed and talked with each human and each animal. Warm conversation and doggie greetings filled the room. At seven sharp, as Iris, ley and Queenie headed for the front of the room to start class, a tall man and his dog stepped through the door.
Iris recognized him immediately — Garth Henderson. Her jaw dropped and her heart seemed to stop.
Abruptly the room quieted, and everyone went still

قديم 08-07-07, 01:54 PM   المشاركة رقم: 3
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Two

Outsider that he was, Garth Henderson stood at the back of the classroom while Iris and everyone else, dogs included, stared at him with open curiosity. As a movie director, he met with stars and bigwigs all the time. Yet he'd never felt so nervous.
He hadn't seen Iris in a very long time, and they hadn't parted on the best terms. That'd been a lifetime ago, yet standing here looking at her, it seemed like yesterday.
She still wore her chin-length, copper-color hair tucked behind her ears, and the familiar smattering of freckles dusted her cheeks. But the slim girl he remembered had become a woman with full, round curves and more natural beauty than any movie actress.
He tried a smile. "Hello, Iris."
The attention in the room shifted again to Iris, who offered a somber nod as she studied him through the same cornflower blue eyes that always had captivated him.
"Garth."
At least she didn't fawn all over him. He was sick of Hollywood grovelers and pleasers, and had come to Forest Glen to get away from that. But he hadn't expected such a chilly welcome, either. Wondering whether he was a fool to be here, Garth shifted his weight and cleared his throat. "It's good to see you."
"What are you doing here?"
"You mean, why did I move back?" He was here to find meaning in what had become a colorless life. He might be rich and famous, but at the ripe old age of thirty-one, something was missing.
"He and that actress got a divorce," a woman said.
Garth squinted at the plump, mature face, trying to recall the name that went with it.
"Missy Jensen, the high school secretary," she reminded him. "Welcome back, and may I have your autograph?"
Everyone laughed — except Iris. Other men and women called out greetings. At least they were glad to see him. He promised them all autographs.
"Iris knows about the divorce," said the blushing young woman standing next to her. "And that you're about to make a movie from your own script."
Her assistant, Garth figured. "That's right," he said. "I'll be commuting back and forth for a while."
"What she wants to know is —"
"I can speak for myself, ley." Iris narrowed her eyes. "Why are you here, in my classroom?"
His marriage had failed, with his ex accusing him of holding something back from their relationship. He was distant, she said — a complaint he'd heard from more than one woman. After much-needed soul-searching, he thought he understood why. He still had feelings for Iris. He was here to find out if that was true, and if she was his key to a meaningful existence. But he couldn't tell her, not this soon, and not in front of these people. At a loss for what to say, he rubbed the back of his neck.
Then Lucky woofed softly, reminding him.
"The vet told me about your class today when I took Lucky in for his shots." He patted his six-month-old pup, a vizsla-golden retriever mixed breed he'd adopted, both for company and because he loved dogs. When he'd found out Iris taught an obedience class, he couldn't believe his luck. That was the reason he'd chosen the name "Lucky" for his dog. "I got Lucky at the pound. He needs to learn a few things, and I don't know how to teach him. I'm counting on you to show us both what to do."
Iris glanced at the pup. Her expression softened, and Garth was certain they were in. Grinning, he tugged Lucky's leash and started forward.
Just like that, the warmth evaporated. Iris tightened her mouth, her closed look stopping him. "You're too late. The class is full."
"No, it isn't,"ley said. "Only seven people signed up. We have room for eight."
Garth didn't miss the dirty look Iris shot her assistant. She didn't want him here. Her rejection made him all the more determined to get back into her good graces. While he searched his brain for some way to persuade her to let him and Lucky into class, his dog sat down on the cement floor and whined, training a mournful look on Iris — the same look had convinced Garth to choose him from the dozens of dogs at the pound.
No one could resist that look, not even Iris.
She sighed. "All right, for Lucky's sake, you can stay." She wouldn't meet Garth's eye, and instead spoke to his shoulder. "You can pay and fill in the needed paperwork after class.ley handles that."
She turned away, effectively dismissing him. Warming that cool attitude wasn't going to be easy, but over the next hour Garth intended to do just that — with Lucky's help. Because he definitely wanted to get to know Iris again, in every way.
"I can't stay after class,"ley whispered in a voice everybody heard. "I have a date with Pete." She sent a longing glance Garth's way. "I wish I could, though."
Iris rolled her eyes. "I'm sure Garth will give you an autograph next time."
Laughter broke out, and Garth offered a good-natured grin.
"You can take the paperwork with you and bring it back Thursday," Iris told him. "Right now, I have a class to teach. This is Beginner Education for dogs ages five months and older with no previous training," she said as her gaze traveled from person to person. "Over the next three weeks, using reward training — that means dog biscuits — you and your dog will learn simple commands and hand signals that will make everyone's life easier. We'll meet Tuesdays and Thursdays at seven, and I expect you and your dog to practice your lessons every day. Questions?"
Garth had only one question, which he'd save until after class. Would Iris give him a second chance?

قديم 08-07-07, 03:33 PM   المشاركة رقم: 4
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jul 2007
العضوية: 33118
المشاركات: 270
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: Mai Ziyada عضو على طريق الابداعMai Ziyada عضو على طريق الابداع
نقاط التقييم: 152

االدولة
البلدSudan

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
Mai Ziyada غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Thanks Laila, waiting for the rest

عرض البوم صور Mai Ziyada  
قديم 14-07-07, 01:25 PM   المشاركة رقم: 5
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Three

During the one-hour class, though Iris made certain to pay equal attention to every person and every dog, she was keenly aware of Garth. Over the years glamorous Hollywood photos had catalogued his transformation from a tall, lanky boy into a solid man, the boyish face honed into strong, masculine features. But no picture adequately captured the lively glint in his chocolate-brown eyes or his irresistible charm. Willingly or not, she was attracted to him.
Even when she turned her back on him, she felt his gaze on her. That made her nervous and self-conscious. The man was rich and famous. He could have any woman in the world, in any glamorous city.
So, what was he really doing back in Forest Glen?
Lucky was adorable, and the fact that Garth had found him at the pound rather than spending piles of money on a pure-breed was particularly endearing. Man and dog worked hard to master "sit" and "down," the two commands the class practiced. She couldn't help but admire them for that.
Also difficult to ignore were the nosy looks from everyone when she stopped to help Garth or compliment Lucky. Iris wished she could control the blood flow to her cheeks, which felt continually flushed. After a while, she let ley work with Garth and Lucky. Trouble was, for some reason — maybe because both dogs came from the pound — Queenie liked Lucky more than the other animals. She kept glancing at the pup and whining softly. Lucky seemed to feel the same fondness for Queenie. The kinship between the animals only fueled the knowing grins.
By the time class ended, Iris was exhausted from pretending she didn't notice or care. So was Queenie, who moved to her favorite spot, the braided oval rug beside the desk, and collapsed.
"See you Thursday, and don't forget to practice every day," Iris reminded the group as they filed through the door — except for Garth, who hung back. She waved atley, who was in a hurry to get home. "Have fun on your date."
"Oh, I will."ley glanced from Iris to Garth, then winked. "You have fun, too."
Iris frowned to let her know what she thought of that idea, but ley was gone. So she frowned at Garth, who hung his thumbs from his belt loops and widened his stance as if he wasn't going anyplace.
"Didn't you hear what I said at the start of class? You can fill out those forms at home and bring them back Thursday. Unless you'll be in Hollywood then. And by the way, how in the world are you going to make it to class if you're busy with your movie?"
"Actual production won't start for a while. We're in preproduction, which is mostly boring meetings."
He offered a crooked grin no woman could ignore. Slightly breathless, Iris eyed him coolly. "What about class?" she repeated.
"Lucky and I plan to show up for most of them," he said, "though we may miss one or two. But I will be here this Thursday with the forms and a check. "
"Good." So what did he want?
He looked straight into her eyes. "I want to talk about us," he said as if he'd read her mind.
Oh, what that look did to her. Her breath caught and time seemed to stop. Unnerved and upset by her pounding heart — she was no more interested in Garth than she was in old Mr. Carlson, who ran the post office — Iris scoffed, "There hasn't been an 'us' since high school."
She was over Garth, and rehashing the past would only open old wounds. Wishing she could escape, Iris glanced longingly at the door.
"Do you have a date, too?" Garth asked, his jaw suddenly tense.
Though she hadn't dated in a long while, she considered making up a boyfriend. But she never had been able to lie. She shook her head.
He exhaled. "Excellent."
Lucky woofed softly and cocked his head as if to ask, "What's going on here?"
Iris wondered, too.
Not to be left out, Queenie rose and sashayed to Garth, nosing his thigh for attention. Flashing his thousand-watt grin, he hunkered down and rubbed the dog's back. A jealous Lucky growled, and Queenie stiffened.
Garth stood up. "Knock that off, Lucky. Sit."
Looking confused, his pet remained standing.
"Use hand signals with your voice, and bribe him with a biscuit, like I showed you," Iris reminded him.
"Sit," he repeated, following her advice.
His dog obeyed. Queenie padded back to the braided rug. Moments later Lucky jumped up and followed. Jealousy forgotten, the dogs stretched out side by side.
"What a cutie," Iris said.
"He knows it, too."
Silence.
Rocking on his heels, hands thrust into the pockets of his jeans, Garth seemed as nervous as she felt, which was ridiculous. They were two adults, acting like…the teenagers they were the last time they faced each other.
"Mind if we sit down?" He nodded toward the circle of chairs the class had used.
They had nothing to say to each other, and the thought of sitting and talking was unsettling. "I don't have that much time," she said.
"Suit yourself."
He shrugged, and she couldn't help noticing how his broad shoulders framed his flannel shirt. Or his long legs. He wore his jeans snug, and her gaze darted to the healthy bulge…
"Like what you see?"
Cheeks hot, she jerked her attention to his teasing grin and gave him a dirty look. "Get to the point, Garth. What do you want?"
He sobered instantly. "For starters, to say how sorry I am about your dad."
"Thank you." Iris dipped her head. "Thanks for the flowers and sympathy card. That was very thoughtful." Biting her lip, she again looked at him. "I'm sorry about your divorce."
"Don't be. Getting married was a mistake for both of us. We parted as friends. It wouldn't be so rough, but with the tabloids and paparazzi chasing the story…" He shook his head.
"So you're here to hide out," Iris guessed, wondering what that had to do with her.
"Partly." Again he shoved his hands into his pockets. "I owe you an apology for the way I treated you that Christmas. I acted like a jerk."
"It was a long time ago, and we were both young and immature." Iris waved her hand in a dismissive gesture. "I got over it."
Mostly. Standing here now, she realized she was still angry over what had happened. At the same time she couldn't help longing for what might have been. Sharing her bed and her life with Garth. Children filling the days with joy. At thirty, she was beginning to wonder whether that dream would ever come true.
"I'm not sure I did. I never explained what happened."
"You said you needed a break," Iris reminded him, pleased with her emotionless tone.
"But I didn't tell you why. If you remember, at the time my parents were still married." He glanced at Iris and she nodded. "When I came home that Christmas things at home were tense. My dad kept picking at my mom, and they screamed at each other all the time. It was especially bad at night, when they drank." He shook his head, then rubbed the space between his eyebrows as if he had a headache. "They should've split up decades ago."
Iris remembered how badly Garth had wanted a close, loving family, and how his parents were too wrapped up in themselves to bother with their only child. She'd never liked them, but this… "I didn't know," she said. "Why didn't you say something?"
His mouth twisted. "Too ashamed. The worst of it was, I started picking at you the same way. I felt like I was turning into my old man, and I didn't know how to stop. I didn't want to put you through the same hell he put my mother through." He blew out a heavy breath. "And there you have it, the ugly, unvarnished truth."
Iris felt his pain, her heart twinging in sympathy. "I never imagined. You're not at all like him."
"I know that now. I never meant for us to break up for good. I only wanted to figure out where I was going wrong and straighten myself out." He gave a humorless laugh. "We both know how that turned out, and here we are."
At least now Iris understood. She wasn't about to forgive and forget, though. There'd been too much pain for that. "Thank you for explaining."
"Thank you for listening."
Something — his tone or that soulful look — had her yearning toward him, primed and ready for whatever happened next. A small voice in her head cautioned, Be careful. She frowned. "Is there something else?"
Garth nodded, his gaze fastened on hers. "I think I still have feelings for you, Iris. I'd like to find out whether you do, too."
Everything, everything hinged on Iris. Garth held his breath.
"Let me get this straight," she said, her voice cool. "After twelve years of silence, after you sleep with countless women and even marry and divorce one, you march back into town, apologize for the past, spotlight your movie-star smile on me, and expect me to swoon." Eyes blazing, she lifted her chin. "I appreciate the apology, but you broke my heart. Frankly, I don't want to suffer like that ever again."
Feeling lower than a dog flea, Garth winced. "I'd give anything go back in time and change my behavior, but all we can do is move forward."
"Exactly. Things change. I've changed. I don't have feelings for you, anymore," Iris said, without quite meeting his eye.
When she fibbed, she never looked a person in the eye. Even after all this time, he remembered that, and it gave him hope. "Letting you go was a terrible mistake. The biggest of my life," he said with sincerity. "You want to know why I move from woman to woman, and why I got a divorce? Because I should have married you. Give me a chance to prove myself."
"There's too much history between us. I could never trust you." Iris fiddled with the sleeve of her turtleneck. "We'd best leave things as they are."
Garth hadn't gotten where he was by backing away from a challenge. "I don't plan to give up. I will win you back."
At last she looked up, glaring at him. "I'm not some prize you can take home and put on your mantel. My life is exactly the way I like it, calm and peaceful. No fights or arguments. I want it to stay that way."
"Who says it won't? Let's get reacquainted, Iris. You'll see that I've changed."
"Don't you listen? I-am-not-interested," she stated, enunciating each word as if he were from another planet.
He knew how to turn that less-than-friendly attitude around — take her in his arms and nibble the sensitive place under her ear until she forgot all about not trusting him. But right now regaining that trust was the most important thing in his life.
So he kept his hands to himself. "Got it. You'll only see me in class."
"I'm glad we understand each other," Iris said, looking relieved. "So that's settled."
Nothing was settled. During the next two and a half weeks there were five more one-hour classes. Surely that was enough time to win her over. Whatever it took

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة