مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
lailajilali8 غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : lailajilali8 المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Chapter Four

"I hear Garth Henderson is back in town, and that he enrolled his dog in your obedience class," Cora Henry told Iris Thursday afternoon.
They were sitting on the older woman's faded chintz sofa, knitting twin red, white and blue doggie sweaters for a pair of Welsh corgis. Queenie, who adored Mrs. Henry, lay *******edly at her feet. Iris adored her, too, and trusted her completely. Mrs. Henry knew everything about Garth and had spent countless hours comforting Iris after their rocky breakup.
"Why didn't you tell me?" she demanded, her gnarled hands adeptly wielding the knitting needles.
Sometimes she acted like a bossy mother. "I was about to," Iris said, "only you beat me to it. You won't believe what he said…"
Behind bifocals, Mrs. Henry's surprisingly bright, gray eyes winked with excitement. "Try me."
"After all these years he apologized for the way he acted. Now he wants to get together again." Though Iris scoffed, she had considered the idea more times than she could count. But Garth had walked away before. What was to stop him from doing the same thing again? Besides, she was a small-town girl, neither sophisticated nor exciting like the other women he'd dated since. Iris pulled more yarn from the skein on her lap. "Can you believe that?"
Mrs. Henry's knitting needles click-clacked several times before she spoke. "Do you still have feelings for him?"
"No." Over the years Iris had managed to tamp down the hurt and forget Garth for long stretches of time. Today, even though she didn't have the husband or children she longed for, Queenie, friends and work filled her days comfortably enough.
But now…
Mrs. Henry glanced up from her work, eyes narrowed shrewdly. "Are you certain about that?"
She knew Iris all too well. Iris sighed. "I don't know," she admitted. "What I do know is that I don't want to get hurt again." And she didn't want to talk about Garth, anymore. "How are you feeling today?"
"Not bad," her friend replied, her sallow complexion and thin frame at odds with the words.
"I wish you'd reconsider the doctor's suggestion. Bypass surgery will make you feel worlds better…"
"You know I lost my John on the surgeon's table. I won't relegate myself to the same fate."
"But that was a long time ago, and this is a better doctor," Iris reasoned. "I want you to live a long time. Won't you at least think about surgery?"
The older woman pursed her lips stubbornly. "The subject is closed." The cuckoo on the wall chimed. "Don't you have to get ready for class?"
Iris threw up her hands. "All right, I give up. I'll see you later."
Unfortunately,ley had caught the flu and wouldn't be in class that night. Without her, Iris wasn't sure how she'd manage the one-on-one attention she liked to give each owner and dog, but she intended to try. She also needed to set up the room, so after a quick dinner she leashed Queenie and opened the front door. "Come on, girl, let's head for the garage."
The evening air was chill and she strode rapidly across the grass, Queenie clipping beside her. As Iris unlocked the door, a black Jaguar pulled up the drive, wheels crunching over the gravel. No one around here drove such an expensive car, but Iris knew the man behind the wheel as sure as she knew her own reflection — Garth.
As he opened the door and unfolded his long denim-clad legs, her traitorous heart gave a joyous kick. Masking her pleasure at seeing him, she frowned. "Class doesn't start 'til seven. You're way too early."
"I heard about ley." He opened the back door, leashing Lucky before letting him out. "We came to help."
Iris wasn't surprised that he knew about ley. Most likely, so did everyone else in class. What did surprise her was his offer of help — which she didn't want. She shook her head. "No, thank you."
"Aw, Iris, come on," Garth said, with a round-eyed look that was hard to resist. "I'm here, so you may as well put me to work."
He seemed so eager, she gave in. "There's not much to do," she said as she opened the studio and flipped on the lights. "But since we won't be using the chairs tonight, you can push them against the wall."
He nodded. "You want me to help you out during class, the way ley does? "
"I don't know. Can you handle me telling you what to do?"
"I sure can."
The low, intimate tone put her on alert. She shot him a suspicious look. "What do you expect in payment?"
His eyebrows lifted. "I get to decide?" He chuckled, the sound warm and musical — and contagious. "Let me think on that."
She couldn't help smiling. "Just don't ask for something I can't give."
After class Garth helped Iris straighten up, while Lucky and Queenie snoozed on the rug together like old friends.
He nodded at his dog. "You worked him hard tonight."
"I worked you both hard," Iris said. A warm smile curled her lips. "Thanks for being my assistant."
"I enjoyed it." Garth meant it. He also hoped he'd earned a few brownie points.
"It is fun, isn't it? Helping the animals and their owners build on what they learned in the previous class, watching as each pair grows.… I love that. Just think what Lucky has learned so far — 'sit' and 'lie down' and 'heel' and 'halt' — I'm so proud of him."
Excited by her work, with her eyes sparkling and her cheeks rosy, Iris was more beautiful than ever. She'd put shiny stuff on her lips that made them look soft and sexy.
Suddenly Garth knew exactly what he wanted in payment. But that would have to wait until he regained her trust.
"Why didn't some great guy marry you?" he asked as he emptied leftover dog treats into a plastic container.
"Dad was sick for seven years, and I was too busy taking care of him to think about dating," she said. "Then after he died…" She offered a thin smile. "There aren't a lot of single men around here. I've dated a few guys, but nothing serious."
He was glad to hear that. "Where do you keep the broom?"
"In the closet." Iris gestured at the door on the side of the room.
"Why are you doing this?" she asked, holding the dustpan while he swept.
Because she'd finally warmed up and he wasn't ready to leave. "I'm filling in for ley, remember?" He finished the job and returned the broom and dustpan to the closet. Unfortunately, now there was nothing left to do, and he couldn't think of another reason to stick around. He glanced at the door. "Guess I'll be going."
"Wait," Iris said. "I want to pay you. You don't exactly need the cash. What would you like — a week's supply of dog biscuits?"
He hadn't intended to collect any payment, but suddenly a great idea popped into his head. "That's tempting, but I want something else — to take you to dinner tomorrow night. Martini's is still around." The only Italian restaurant around, where he'd first told Iris he loved her, was located at a ski resort fifty miles away. "You still like Italian food, right?"
"I love it. But take me out for dinner, as in you pick up the tab?" She shook her head. "Since I owe you, that won't work."
"Sure it will. If we have a good time, maybe you'll go out with me again. That's payment enough."
Iris shot him a the-hell-you-say frown. "I thought I made myself clear. We're not going to date. Period."
Garth wasn't giving up, but he knew better than to pressure her. "I still want to eat at Martini's and see if the food is as good as I remember. How about it?"
Women never had been able to resist his big-eyed, soulful look, and Iris was no different.
She sighed. "All right, but let's clarify a few things. Dinner's on me. And this is not a date. It's payment for your help tonight."
As long as she went out with him, Garth didn't care who picked up the tab. He wanted to shoot his fist in the air and let out a "Yes!" but settled for a subdued nod. "Great. Pick you up at seven."
"You're okay with me paying?"
She looked impressed, which pleased him. "I know I wouldn't let you do that when we were in high school, but now I'm an enlightened man. If you're sure Martini's isn't out of your budget."
"No problem. Just don't go getting any ideas about us."
"I won't," Garth lied, his head swimming with ideas.
For starters, a call to Federico, owner of the restaurant. To arrange a romantic walk down memory lane, which Garth would pay for on the sly.
Iris might be treating him to the meal, but he planned to fund the extras that would charm and woo her. With any luck, by dessert tomorrow night, she'd be halfway in love with him and ready, willing

عرض البوم صور lailajilali8  
قديم 14-07-07, 01:51 PM   المشاركة رقم: 7
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 7370
المشاركات: 363
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: lailajilali8 عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 15

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Five

Awestruck diners in Martini's restaurant jabbed each other and whispered as they noticed Garth Henderson, but Federico seemed more interested that Garth was with Iris.
"It's been a long time since you two were here together," he said as he smilingly led them to a linen-covered table in front of the mountain-view picture window — the very table where Garth had told her he loved her.
Iris marveled at the sixty-something restaurant owner's memory. During their high school years she and Garth had eaten here exactly twice. After so many years, how could Federico possibly remember? She, however, recalled every moment of the night the very stars seemed to shine on her. The night Garth had pledged his love.
Nostalgia struck, and for one long moment she was back there, her heart warm and full while they happily planned their future together, and later in the backseat of his car, as they sealed their bond in passionate, though clumsy lovemaking.
Less than a year later, Garth had asked for a "break" that effectively ended the relationship and crushed her dreams. He hadn't truly loved her, after all.
Remembering the pain was the key to protecting herself from future heartache. Iris silently renewed her pledge to keep an emotional distance from Garth. They were causal acquaintances now, and after tonight she would see him only in class.
They sat across from each other in comfortable chairs, the flickering candle in the center of the table adding a soft, romantic glow. Garth faced the window so Iris could people watch, a favorite habit of hers he remembered. Tonight every person's attention was focused on Garth, the famous movie director.
Iris understood completely. Despite her best intentions, she didn't want to look at anyone but Garth, either. Dressed in a tailored suit that fit his broad shoulders perfectly, he looked successful and handsome. But for her, his appeal had nothing to do with his clothes or his fame.
"You look wonderful," he said, echoing her very thoughts about him. "That's a great dress." He nodded at the mint green sheath she saved for special occasions, his eyes warm with appreciation.
With that one avid look, she was lost. Breathless and daunted by her intense feelings, she lowered her gaze to the menu. "Thank you."
Federico took their orders, returning shortly with a bottle of wine. "On the house," he said, "because I am glad to see you here together."
He and Garth exchanged looks. What was that about?
"Don't get any ideas," Iris warned them both. "We're only here because I owe Garth this meal."
"Your reasons do not concern me," Federico said. "You are here, and that is enough." He served the wine with a flourish. "I'll be back with the salads."
He left, and Garth raised his glass. "To the future."
His eyes were dark with intent, and for one moment Iris let herself imagine a future with him — a future that easily could turn into a painful repeat of the past. Suddenly frightened, she wanted to rush home. Then maybe she could breathe normally.
But Martini's was a place for leisurely dining, and Federico took his time. While they waited for their salads and later, their veal parmesan, Iris fought to steel herself against Garth's charm. Difficult to do, with him asking questions about her life and listening closely to her every word. So different from high school, when most of the conversations had revolved around him and his dream of making movies.
Iris told him about Mrs. Henry. "She needs a bypass operation but refuses to have surgery. I've tried and tried to convince her and so has her doctor, but no luck." She sighed. "I'm worried sick about her."
"That's a shame," Garth said. "She was one of my favorite teachers, and always seemed so rational. What happened to her common sense?"
"That's still intact. The problem is, her husband died on the operating table, and she's afraid the same thing will happen to her."
"Fear often holds people back," he said, looking straight into her eyes.
Iris agreed. She was scared, all right. Of getting involved with Garth. Resisting the urge to look away, she held his gaze. "Sometimes fear is a good thing." Before he could argue she changed the subject. "Tell me about your new movie."
"It's about a neglected kid who grows up determined to be noticed through fame and wealth, and the mishaps along the way that turn him in a new direction," he said. "In the end, he figures out that love is the key to happiness."
"Sounds interesting." Somewhat biographical, too — at least the part about the neglected boy. She wondered whether Garth was aware of that.
He told her about the actors he wanted, his commitment and boyish enthusiasm contagious and irresistible. Easy to see why he'd become Hollywood's darling.
"I have a lot riding on this movie — money and my reputation," he went on. "At the end of next week I'll sit down with the people involved and move things forward. I plan to stay in L.A. a few days after to tie up loose ends." He shot Iris an apologetic look. "That means Lucky and I will miss two of your classes, but we'll be back for the last one."
That first night he'd mentioned that possibility, so his announcement came as no surprise. Yet Iris couldn't stem her disappointment. "If you miss two in a row, you and Lucky will fall way behind. Can't you postpone the meeting, or teleconference instead?"
"Teleconferencing won't work for this. We need to sit down together and hammer out the details. Sometimes that takes days, or even weeks. You have no idea how rough it's been to schedule even one meeting with all the players at once. My assistants have worked months to set this up." Garth shook his head. "There's no way to postpone it. Maybe you'll give Lucky and me a couple of makeup sessions," he said, raising his eyebrows.
The suggestive warmth in his eyes flustered Iris. The very thought of working alone with Garth with no one else around unnerved her. "Sorry, I don't give private lessons."
"Can't blame a guy for asking," he said, his mouth quirking. "Guess that means Lucky and I will have to learn a few things on our own."
Federico appeared to refill their wine glasses. When he left, Garth turned the conversation to her. "In high school you talked about getting your teaching certificate, just like Mrs. Henry. What happened?"
"Life. I went to college and graduated, but then Dad got sick." Recalling that dismal time, Iris stared at the crystal stem of her wine glass. "I never did use my degree. Instead, I got my dog obedience certification and remodeled the garage so I could run the business from home. That way, if Dad needed me I was close by."
"You could teach now."
"There aren't any teaching jobs around here. I'd have to move away," she said. "This is my home and I don't want to leave. Besides, I am teaching, and I love my work. I also like to knit, and run an online business selling custom-knit sweaters for dogs."
"A woman of many talents." Garth's eyes glinted warmly in the candlelight. "I know more than a few stars who'd pay good money for that sort of thing. Give me your web site address and I'll pass it along."
"I will. Thanks."
"I'm glad you're happy and doing well," he said, "but I still think you sacrificed a lot for your father."
"I don't see it that way. After my mother died, he raised me with love and kindness. Returning the favor was the least I could do."
Now Garth looked impressed. "I hope he appreciated you."
"He did." Bud Norton had let her know he loved and valued her, and that he hoped she'd find her soul mate, get married and be happy.
She had found her soul mate — Garth. Unfortunately, she hadn't been his.
Iris gave a sad smile. "I miss him."
"I'll bet. I always envied your close relationship."
Iris hadn't realized that, but given Garth's self-absorbed mother and father, it made sense. "Are things better with your parents now that you're a big success?"
"Well, they're both sober now, and that's good. Mom lives in Sedona with her second husband, and Dad moved to Florida with his latest girlfriend. We talk on birthdays and holidays, and sometimes when they need money. That's about it."
Life with a loved one was precious, and Iris couldn't imagine not connecting whenever possible. "You don't see them?"
"Not if they can help it."
"I'm sorry to hear that," she said with sincerity.
Garth shrugged. "I'm used to it."
But she saw the pain flit across his face. Her heart ached for him. She wanted to erase the hurt, cup his cheek and smooth back the lock of unruly hair that had fallen over his forehead. She ached to hold him close and…
The strength of her feelings terrified her. She was not getting involved with Garth again. She wasn't.
Tonight was a mistake. She had to go home, before she said or did something foolish. She laid her napkin beside her plate, and within moments Federico appeared.
"Dessert and coffee?" he asked as he collected the plates.
"No, thanks," Iris replied before Garth could. "I need to get home." Where she'd lock herself safely in the house.
By the time they headed back to Forest Glen night had fallen. On the dark, hour-long drive through the curving road that cut through the Cascade Mountains, they made small talk. Even laughed. The air between them was easy and warm. Like old times.
Iris didn't want to feel this good, not with Garth. She lapsed into silence, and during the last twenty minutes of the drive home neither of them spoke. Garth didn't seem to mind the quiet, another surprise. Years before, long stretches of silence had made him uncomfortable. But now…
"We're not talking, and that doesn't bother you," she commented. "You've changed."
In the dark she couldn't see his face, but somehow she knew he was smiling.
"That's what I keep telling you." As he pulled into her driveway, he glanced at her. "I had a great time tonight," he said in a tone as rich as the dinner wine.
"So did I."
Garth slid out of the car. He would have opened her door, but not wanting this to feel more like a date than it already did, she jumped out.
"I didn't get my coffee and dessert," he said as he walked her up the front steps. In the dim porch light, shadows played over his face, masking his expression. "How about a rain check some night soon?"
Fool that she was, she actually wanted to spend another evening with him — the man she ought to avoid. Iris shook her head. "I don't think that would be a good idea." He looked so disheartened, she had to do something. "I'll bake you s, instead," she offered. "Do you still like chocolate chip?"
"Homemade?" Garth brightened immediately. "I sure do. Why don't I pick them up tomorrow night?"
Unnerved at the thought of Garth inside her house on a Saturday night, she said, "I have plans." As in figuring what vegetables to plant in the garden, but he didn't need to know that. "I'll bring them on Tuesday and give them to you after class." After all the other participants had left, so they wouldn't jump to conclusions about her and Garth.
"If that's what you want." He peered past her, into the house. "I haven't been inside this place in years. I could come in…"
Her fear must have shown on her face, for Garth scrubbed his hand through his hair.
"That's right, you don't trust me." Disappointment flitted across his face before he set his jaw. "Guess you need convincing." His eyelids lowered a fraction, making him look dangerously sexy. "I want a kiss."
The sensual warmth in his voice skittered over her skin, making her yearn for him. But giving in would be a huge mistake. "I don't see how kissing you will make me trust you," she said.
"You'll have to take that on faith." His heated gaze dropped to her mouth. "One kiss."
Of their own volition her lips parted, and every nerve in her body tensed with expectation. Unable to fight her need, she gave in. As long as she was in control…
eager to give him a second chance

قديم 14-07-07, 01:53 PM   المشاركة رقم: 8
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Six

"Let's get this over with," Iris said, her bored tone at odds with the promise in her eyes.
She raised her face and puckered her lips slightly, signaling Garth to kiss her. He'd wanted to taste that mouth all evening. Now he would prove to her that in this small way, he could be trusted. Though he itched to haul her tight against his body, he masked his fierce need and reached for her slowly.
Holding her in his arms was a real turn on. She felt the electricity, too — her arms twined around his neck, her eyes drifted to half-mast and she let out a soft sigh.
The instant his lips touched hers, he was home. He'd forgotten how good she tasted, how perfectly her soft body fit his. From her enthusiastic response, he knew she was enjoying this, too.
She wriggled closer, teasing his groin. Desire roared through him. He wanted more, a lot more. But tonight was about trust, not sex. Mustering all his willpower and then some, Garth broke contact and backed up a step.
Iris blinked, her eyes dazed. "What's the matter?"
"Not a thing," he said, his breathing labored. "That was dynamite." They both glanced at the erection straining his pants, Iris flushing, and Garth amazed that one kiss had aroused him so fully.
"But I thought I was in charge," she said, looking as if she wanted more of the same.
He stifled a groan. "You were, but we agreed to one kiss." He couldn't stop himself from touching her cheek, stroking her soft skin with his thumb. "As much as I want you, earning your trust is more important."
When she nodded and offered a sweet smile, he knew he was on his way to a second chance.
"Is it true Garth took you to dinner Friday night?" ley asked the following Tuesday when she stopped by to pick up the six doggie sweaters made by Iris and Mrs. Henry, and boxed by Iris for mailing.
The flu hadn't dampened her nosiness. Iris knew that whatever she told ley would be all over town in no time, so she spoke carefully. "It's not what you think. Garth helped me in class last Tuesday when you were sick. So I took him to dinner as payment."
No need to mention the passionate kiss that had opened an emotional door long closed and had left her restless and confused. She'd never kiss the man again — too dangerous.
ley studied her closely. "I know you, Iris, and I haven't seen you look so mooney-eyed since…never. You like Garth, don't you? I don't blame you. He's a babe." Her eyebrows raised knowingly. "Have you carried a torch for him all these years?"
Before he moved back to town, Iris had thought she was over him. She certainly didn't want to care about him, didn't want to get hurt again. ley was waiting for her answer.
"He's…okay," she hedged.
But oh, that kiss… She touched her lips.
Understanding dawned on ley's face. "He kissed you, didn't he?" Iris opened her mouth, but her friend cut her off with a gleeful sound. "Omigawd, he did!"
"It wasn't anything," Iris said, hoping she sounded convincing. "Just one little kiss."
Later, while she baked chocolate chip s for Garth, she replayed the whole thing in her mind — the feel of his warm, strong arms wrapped around her, the heat of his lips so eager on hers. All the warm, melting feelings rushed back, and she ended up eating tons of chocolate chips. Which, no doubt, went straight to her rear end.
She refused to wonder why one night out and one kiss from Garth had turned her edgy and aching and craving chocolate.
That night in class he didn't act any different than usual. Butley and the others were more obvious, the women sighing and the men smirking.
Iris pretended not to notice. Garth seemed genuinely oblivious. With the same single-minded focus he'd shined on her at Martini's, he concentrated solely on working with Lucky.
At first Iris was relieved. But as the hour wore on, relief morphed into irritation. The way Garth was acting, they might never have shared an evening together, let alone a passionate kiss. Had he changed his mind about her?
She told herself that if he had, that was for the best. All the same, she couldn't help feeling disappointed.
Sensing her low spirits, Queenie bumped against her thigh. Thankful for the dog's concern, she offered a reassuring pat and an extra dog treat. After class, as dogs and humans filed through the door, Garth hung back. Beside him, Lucky wagged his tail.
ley cast a curious look at them. "Um, Pete said he'd drop by later. If you don't mind, I'll be leaving."
Iris nodded and her friend beat a hasty retreat.
All evening Garth had treated her like nothing special. Now his gaze connected with hers, his eyes dark with heat. Her nerves went on red-alert. If he dared try to kiss her, she'd…she'd…let him. Heart pounding, body primed and ready, she waited for him to make his move.
But he didn't touch her. Frustrated and at the same time relieved, and thoroughly disgusted with herself, she pivoted toward the storage cabinet. "Here are your s," she said, taking the foil-wrapped goodies from the f where she'd hidden them.
"Thanks." Garth signaled Lucky to sit, then peeled back the foil and bit into a "Delicious. Want one?"
Iris shook her head. "Now that you have yours you can go. Good night."
Still working on a mouthful, he held up his finger, signaling her to wait. "I thought you should know that Cora Henry called me this afternoon. She invited me to tea tomorrow." He grinned.
Wondering what her meddlesome old friend was up to, Iris bit back a groan. "Why would she do that?"
Garth shrugged. "Said she wanted to see me. I'm supposed to bring you along."
With or without an invitation, Iris would have shown up. She had no idea what Mrs. Henry intended to do or say, but no doubt it involved both her and Garth. The retired teacher always had been blunt, and Iris meant to be there to stop any damage before it happened. "I thought you were flying to L.A. tomorrow."
"Since I own the plane, I can leave anytime. I scheduled an evening flight. After I leave Mrs. H's, I'll drop you off and then drive to Boeing Field." A two-plus-hour drive.
"What time is tea?" Iris asked.
"Four o'clock. I'll pick you up at three forty-five
."

قديم 16-07-07, 01:46 PM   المشاركة رقم: 9
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Seven

Mrs. Henry cast a fond smile at Garth. "So you're leaving tonight to work on your movie."
They were sitting in her tiny living room, Garth in an old maple rocker and Iris and Mrs. Henry on the faded chintz sofa. All three sipping herbal tea in pink flowered, china cups. Iris had warned him that the retired teacher was ill, but he hadn't been prepared for this. Though behind her glasses her gray eyes sparkled with the same intelligence he remembered, her once apple cheeks were sunken and pale.
"Actually, this is a preproduction meeting," he corrected. "A key part of the movie-making process. If things go the way I anticipate, we can get rolling with a production schedule and the actual filming."
"Very interesting." She sipped her tea. "I'm awfully proud of you."
Her approval pleased Garth. He grinned. "You're partly responsible for my success. Way back in kindergarten you told me I could do anything I set my mind on. I took those words to heart." He glanced at Iris to see whether she understood his meaning.
A flush climbed her face and her gaze darted away. She seemed on edge about this afternoon. Probably because of Mrs. Henry's failing health.
"Iris tells me your doctors want you to have surgery," he said, aiming to talk the woman into doing just that. "I think you should listen to them."
Iris gave him a grateful look. "So do I."
Mrs. Henry compressed her lips and sent them both a flinty-eyed stare. "I didn't invite you here to discuss my health. Far more important are your intentions regarding Iris. What exactly are they?"
Iris gasped. "Mrs. Henry!"
"Well, everybody in town knows he kissed you." She winked at Garth. "Personally, I'm glad of it."
He'd found an ally. Garth chuckled. "Thanks, Mrs. H. My intentions are to do everything I can to show Iris I've changed. I hope she'll give me a second chance."
"Hello," Iris said. "I'm sitting right here, pouring more tea." She refilled Mrs. Henry's cup from the matching china pot on the coffee table.
"Thank you, dear," the older woman said, but her attention remained on Garth. She studied him several seconds before giving a satisfied nod. "I believe you're serious about this."
"Never more so," he replied.
Now she trained a shrewd gaze on Iris. "Either you hold your heart safe forever and simply exist, or you take a risk, open your heart and live. Which will it be?" She reached for her cup.
Incredulous but not surprised, Iris gaped at the woman. "This really isn't the time to —"
A groan slipped from Mrs. Henry's lips, cutting off the rest of Iris's words. The teacup fell from her hand and she clutched her chest. "I think…I'm having…a heart attack."
Iris shot Garth a stricken look and scooted toward the woman. "Call 911."
He was on his feet before she finished.
Hours later in the hospital located miles away, Garth sat beside Iris in the waiting room outside intensive care.
Mrs. Henry had suffered a heart attack and at last had consented to the open heart surgery that could save her life — if it wasn't too late. She was weak and her prognosis iffy.
Garth never had seen Iris so upset. He meant to stay by her side for as long as she needed him. Though the situation was grave, he felt more alive than he had in a long time, and he knew why. He was in love with Iris. There was no doubt in his mind that he wanted her in his life forever.
"This reminds me of when my father died," she said. "Only then, Mrs. Henry sat here with me." She bit her lip. "She's like family to me. I hope she makes it."
"Me, too." Garth wished he could have comforted Iris when her father was sick. "I'm sorry I wasn't here for you then," he said. "But I'm here now."
"Thank you," she said, a bleak smile on her face.
He wanted to shield her from everything that could hurt her, but that wasn't possible. What he could do was offer comfort. He put his arm around her shoulders, pulled her close and kissed the top of her head. Her hair smelled clean and fresh, a welcome respite from the antiseptic odors of the hospital.
Iris released a sigh and snuggled closer as if she trusted and needed him. Upset as she was, she probably wasn't aware of her actions. Yet Garth's chest expanded with feeling. "Why don't you get some sleep," he murmured. "I'll wake you when the doctor comes out."
She looked up at him through red-rimmed eyes. "Don't you have to get to that meeting in L.A.?"
He didn't even pause to think about that. "I'd rather stay here with you
."

قديم 16-07-07, 01:48 PM   المشاركة رقم: 10
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدMorocco

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Eight

Five days later, on Monday afternoon, Mrs. Henry went home to private, round-the-clock nurses, courtesy of Garth. He was relieved to see her on the mend, and happy to help in this small way.
But Iris worried him. Despite the quality hospital staff, she'd refused to go home. She'd asked ley to take care of Queenie and Lucky, cancel last Thursday's obedience class and bring her several changes of clothes. She'd slept and showered at the hospital, pushing Garth to go home and rest. After two exhausting nights, he'd done just that, returning ed in the morning. Now, despite the top-notch nurses, despite the shadows of fatigue under her eyes, Iris seemed determined to stay at Mrs. Henry's apartment.
"Stop being a pest," Mrs. Henry insisted, sounding like her old self. She looked healthier, too. Color brightened her cheeks, and every day she seemed stronger. "Garth needs to get to Hollywood. Let him take you home so you can catch up on your rest and he can head for Boeing Field."
Missing his meeting had been Mrs. Henry's big concern, and Garth had reassured her that he planned to leave for Hollywood that day. Though some of the people he needed to meet with no longer were available, his assistants were hard at work, trying to set up another all-inclusive meeting. For now Garth would sit down with those who could make it.
"You're sure you want me to leave?" Iris asked Mrs. Henry.
She nodded. "When you get back from your trip, Garth, come see me. You're a one-in-a-million man. If I were fifty years younger…" She sighed and arched her brows Iris's way. "You're just the right age for him, dear. Have you decided whether to stay safe and exist, or take a risk and live?"
Anxious to know, Garth crossed his arms over his chest and waited.
Iris rubbed the back of her neck. "I —"
"Don't tell me," Mrs. Henry said. "Tell Garth." Eyes twinkling, she waved her hand toward the door. "Now go on, you two. Fill me in later."
"I'm sorry you missed your meeting," Iris said on the drive to her place. "I know how important it was to you."
Missing the meeting had thrown off the production schedule and was costing him a bundle, but he didn't regret staying with Iris when she needed him. "Being here for you was more important," Garth stated.
"I appreciate that." A grateful smile brightened her somber face. "These past few days, I don't know how I'd have survived without you. You've been wonderful."
Her words filled him with hope. He knew Iris cared about him. But trust him enough to try again? As he braked at a four-way stop he glanced at her. "Wonderful enough that you'll give me a second chance?"
"Things are happening so fast." She bit her lip. "I need time to think."
Not what he wanted to hear. His spirits dropped, and neither of them spoke again. As he pulled into her driveway, Garth decided to tell her exactly how he felt. Today, before he left town.
He'd dropped Lucky off earlier, and both dogs were penned in the backyard, enjoying the cool spring air.
Both animals woofed excitedly as Garth and Iris exited the car. Iris let them out, and they raced ecstatically around her and Garth.
While Iris joyously greeted Queenie and Garth rubbed Lucky between the ears, he gathered his thoughts. At last Iris headed for the front door, Queenie at her heels. "Thank you again, Garth. For everything."
Shooting longing looks at Iris and Queenie, Lucky waited with Garth. It was now or never. Garth signaled to his dog and followed Iris. "Wait," he said.
Standing on the front stoop, chin angled a fraction, she eyed him.
Suddenly scared out of his mind — he was about to share his deepest feelings and Iris could reject him for good — his gut clenched. Garth cleared his throat. "Since I came back to Forest Glen, my life has new meaning. The truth is, for the first time in twelve years I feel like a whole man. Because of you." Letting his feelings show, he searched her face. "I love you, Iris. I have since we started dating in high school."
He swore he saw tears in her eyes. Was that good or bad? He didn't want to know. She opened her mouth to speak. Afraid of what she might say, he cupped her face and gently kissed her.
After a long moment she sighed and sank against him. His body roared to life. He ached to deepen the kiss. But now was not the time. Breaking contact but still cupping her face, he hooked his gaze with hers. He saw confusion there, but also warmth. That gave him hope.
"I want a future with you," he said, "but I know you need time to think. Lucky and I will be back in time for the last class on Thursday. Until then, I'll leave you alone."
Graduation from obedience school was always an enjoyable, fun-filled event, complete with punch ands for humans, and biscuits for the dogs. Iris usually handed out diplomas accompanied by short, humorous speeches about each animal and master. Tonight, she wanted only to get through the evening so she could give Garth her answer.
True to his word, he'd left her alone, if you didn't count the fancy collar for Queenie, and the imported cashmere yarn he'd air-expressed to apologize for missing one class. But his warm words of love stayed with her, filling her mind and making her heart sing. She'd fallen in love with him all over again — or maybe she'd loved him all along. Once she admitted the truth, Mrs. Henry's question was easy to answer. Iris wanted to take a chance, open her heart to Garth, and live.
Whether he'd change his mind later…that was a risk worth taking. Tonight she would tell him the truth. That she loved him.
Half an hour before class, she andley met to organize the ments on an oilcloth-covered card table. In high spirits, Iris joked and laughed with her friend. She didn't even object when ley snuck a doggie treat from the platter and tossed it to Queenie.
"Somebody's extra happy." Her friend's brows arched. "Does this have anything to do with Garth?"
Iris wasn't about to admit to anything, not until she talked to Garth. She shrugged and offered her version of a Mona Lisa smile.
"So that's how it is."
By five minutes to seven, the room was crowded with dogs and their masters, everyone except Garth. Since that first class he had always arrived on time, and for one heart-stopping moment, Iris panicked. What if he's changed his mind? No, she trusted him.
"Where's that handsome Garth?" Missy Jensen asked, casting about the room with obvious disappointment. "He missed Tuesday. I thought you said he'd be here for sure."
"He will be," Iris said with certainty.
Suddenly, he strode into the room, Lucky leashed and beside him. His eyes met hers, questioning and loving at the same time. "Sorry we're late."
Iris smiled. "I knew I could trust you to show up."
With a happy heart, she handed out ribbons and diplomas, calling up each adult and dog. Tonight her speeches were especially clever, and everyone laughed.
She saved Garth for last. "I have a special announcement," she told the class. "I'm wild over Garth Henderson." The room grew pin-drop silent. Holding back nothing, she focused on the man she adored, letting the love shine from every pore. "I love you, Garth. I want you in my life as my friend, my partner and my lover."
He blinked, as if he couldn't believe his ears. Then a grin lit up his whole face.
While Lucky and Queenie eyed their owners curiously, and ley and everyone else cheered, Garth pulled Iris into his arms. "I love you right back, Iris, and I swear on my very life, I'll never let you go."
Filled with joy, Iris smiled into his eyes. "That makes two of us
."

the end

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع