ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Aug 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 11023
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 5,556
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: darla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáí
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 758

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : darla ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter 15

Always be willing to share your knowledge with common man and nobleman alike. The seeds of wisdom can survive on the rockiest of soil.
A Compleat Guide for
Being a Most Proper Butler
by Richard Robert Reeves

The dinner party was doomed the second they arrived. Not only did the kindly country squire turn out to be far younger than Tristan remembered, but the lout was unmarried as well. Feeling betrayed by Reeves, Tristan had tried to accept the situation as best he could. Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent fate was against him, especially when the handsome young squire had the audacity to practically leer down the front of Prudence’s gown when Tristan helped her remove her cloak. That had not gone well at all. Though Tristan couldn’t blame the man on a purely masculine basis, it had infuriated him nonetheless. Fortunately, the squire caught Tristan’s warning glare and hastily beat a retreat across the room, though not without sending more than one admiring glance Prudence’s way. Tristan thought about dragging the lout outside right then and there and blacking both of the man’s clocks, but there was worse waiting.
He’d no more navigated Prudence through what seemed a gauntlet of lecherous men than they found their pathway blocked by Dr. Barrow. The young doctor was obviously surprised at Prudence’s appearance and spent a good ten minutes doing what he could to monopolize her precious time. The doctor was a more serious threat than the squire, for try as he would, Tristan could not hint the man off.
Well, Tristan would just stand here, at her elbow, and never leave her side. The blasted fool had to eventually catch one of Tristan’s “Black Looks.” Damn it to hell, his glares had frightened Barbary pirates nigh to death! How could a simple-minded doctor not be affected?
Tristan began to wonder if perhaps the doctor possessed poor eyesight. Perhaps the weak-kneed fool couldn’t see well enough to realize he was in dire danger. If that was so, it might take a word or two to get Tristan’s message through to the sapskull. But how to do it without Prudence hearing?
He spent the next fifteen minutes mulling over a plan and by the time the announcement came for dinner, he knew what he was going to do. Unfortunately, he didn’t realize that seating was by social standing. And an earl outranked a mere widow by several degrees, which meant he was captured by a horse-faced woman who had the audacity to practically toss Prudence at the doctor before she yanked Tristan out of the room, her fingers curled into claws on his elbow.
Tristan did not like this bit of maneuvering. No wonder the nobility were always challenging each other to duels and whatnot. The rules that bound society were barbaric, to say the least, especially when they forced a man to sit at the furthest end of the table and watch his woman surrounded by a pack of hungry he-wolves.
It was too much to bear. Every time Prudence laughed, he was torn with jealousy and longing. By the time the men excused themselves to the library for port, Tristan was ready to slit throats, prisoners be damned. However, thanks to the fact he was now unhampered by Prudence’s presence, he was able to do what he’d wanted to from the first.
Tristan made his way to the doctor’s side. That unworthy gentleman stood by the fire, sipping from a large brandy snifter in what Tristan thought was a deplorably effeminate manner.
Deep in thought, the doctor didn’t hear Tristan approach. Tristan leaned forward, near the doctor’s ear, and said in a booming voice, “Doctor!”
Doctor Barrow jumped, the snifter flying from his hand and crashing to the hearth.
Tristan looked down at the shattered glass, moving slightly when a servant rushed up and began to clean the mess.
The doctor’s face blazed red. He shot an embarrassed glare about the room before looking back at Tristan. “Lord Rochester. You surprised me.”
“I shouldn’t have,” Tristan murmured. “Surely you knew I would look you up. You have been quite particular in your attention to Mrs. Thistlewaite. I believe it would be good for you to desist.”
The doctor blinked. “Desist? B—b—but—I never—”
“Never is a lovely word. Let us keep it at that, shall we?” Tristan finished his drink and set it on the mantel.
“My lord! I must protest! My relationship with Mrs. Thistlewaite is—”
“Over.” Tristan leaned closer, his voice low with menace. “I once slit the throat of a rival pirate captain who stole a cargo that was mine. Slit it from here—” Tristan pressed a finger to the doctor’s jaw right below his left ear. “—to here.” He slid his finger across the buffoon’s throat to the same spot on the opposite corner of his jaw.
The doctor’s mouth opened, then closed.
The story wasn’t true, of course. But the oaf seemed to believe it easily enough.
Even now the doctor was blenching as if he might faint. “You—you—you—I—I—I—Must go.”
Tristan shrugged. “You don’t need to leave now. You may wait until after—”
He spoke to empty air; the doctor was already across the room, speaking in an animated voice to the squire, who was looking at Tristan with something akin to astonishment.
Tristan was actually smiling when the gentlemen rejoined the ladies, but his triumph was short lived.
“What have you been doing?” Prudence hissed, not five minutes later.
“Me?”
Her brows lowered even more, her arms crossed beneath her breasts.
“I did nothing but tell the truth.”
“You told Dr. Barrow you would slit him from his throat to his—” Her eyes snapped. “What were you thinking?”
Tristan scowled. He hadn’t really been thinking. Just reacting. Of course, now that he thought about it, perhaps he had overstated his case a tad. But only a tad, and he’d be damned if he’d admit as much to Prudence. Not with her looking at him as if she’d have him split and gutted for a pence.
“He was rude to you.”
She blinked. “Whatever gave you that idea?”
“No one did. I saw it for myself.”
She crossed her arms, which was an unfortunate thing to do as it pressed her breasts upward, even more prominent in the low-cut gown. “You saw it for yourself? When?”
“Before dinner and then during. He was monopolizing your attention. Why, I could barely get a word in edgewise, the lout.”
She closed her eyes and pinched her nose, breathing deeply.
Tristan became concerned. “Prudence? Are you well?”
“No. I am not. I have a headache and I want to go home.”
“Good!” At her outraged look, he added hastily, “I’ll get your cloak.”
They made their excuses and left, much to Tristan’s satisfaction and the seeming relief of their host. Prudence’s manner was strained and unhappy, and Tristan could only suppose her head truly was bothering her.
Silence reigned in the carriage. Prudence looked steadily out the window, her mouth pressed in a mutinous line. Tristan watched her from where he sat in his corner. He supposed he shouldn’t have acted so strongly. But he couldn’t help it. The doctor had been all but pawing Prudence. As for the others, by Neptune, it had been too much to be borne. Tristan was just a man and he could only take so much.
In fact, considering what he could have done but hadn’t, he thought he’d handled the situation rather well.
Prudence looked at him. “I cannot believe you threatened poor Dr. Barrow.”
“That bastard wants to bed you, in case you haven’t noticed.”
She flushed. “We were merely talking. I see him quite frequently at my house as he loves Mrs. Fieldings’s cooking.”
Tristan crossed his arms. “That’s not all he loves. He was annoyingly present, leering over you, staring at you. I’ve never seen such behavior—”
“Haven’t you? In all the taverns you’ve frequented, all the houses of ill repute, you’ve never seen anything so tawdry?”
“I would not wish my behavior to be compared to that of someone who frequents a house of ill repute,” he retorted, and then paused. Good God, was that really him, sounding so priggish? What the hell was wrong with him?
Prudence sniffed. “I would not wish to have such double standards of good and evil. I am not a green girl who needs rescuing. I am over thirty and well capable of taking care of myself.”
“That man was importuning you.”
“No, he was paying attention to me. There is a difference, you know.” Her chin firmed mutinously. “Either way, ‘tis none of your concern. I am well able to deal with my own suitors, thank you.”
Tristan clamped his teeth over the things he wanted to say, none of which would help his case now. Damn it, he was an earl now. Surely earls could do things that sea captains could not.
But no; he would not think like his father. There were rules and there were laws. Since Tristan was no gentleman, he didn’t have to worry about the rules. But laws—not even an earl should be above them.
He leaned his head against the high squab of the carriage, regarding Prudence for a long moment. She sat fuming in the opposite corner, her jaw set mutinously, her eyes sparkling with ire.
She looked… beautiful. Without another thought, Tristan leaned across the carriage, picked her up and set her on the seat opposite his. “Now we can talk.”
She gasped. “What do you think you are doing?”
“Bringing you to a more amenable distance.”
“For whom?”
He managed a grin. “For us both. I cannot hear you from the opposite corner.”
She planted her palms on the seat and scooted even further away than before. “I can hear you just fine from here. If any of those men at the party tonight had treated me the way you are treating me right now, it might well have been within reason to wish to challenge them for their horrid and inconsiderate behavior. But tossing about threats merely because someone said a nice word—I won’t stand for it. Not now. Not ever.”
Tristan raked a hand through his hair, wishing he could explain his feelings. The problem was, he wasn’t sure if he knew exactly what they were himself. “Prudence—”
“That is another thing. When we are in public, it will not do for you to call me Prudence. It is Mrs. Thistlewaite.”
He stared down at his boots, his irritation fading with each moment. Perhaps he had reacted a little too strongly. He sighed. “Did I embarrass you?”
“Drastically!”
He winced. “I apologize. That was not my intent. But I don’t like seeing other men treat you with disrespect.”
“And I don’t like it when you barge in where you are not wanted. I am not one of your crew members injured in the war and in need of rescuing!”
That galled him. A flame of something other than irritation spiked through him. “Prudence, I have apologized. I cannot do more.”
“I do not accept your apology.”
“No?”
“No.” She turned from him, flipping up one corner of the leather curtain that covered the window and staring stonily into the night.
Damn it! This was not how he wanted their night to end. His gaze flickered over her, noting the curve of her breasts through the low-cut neckline, the delicate hollows of her shoulders, the elegant line of her neck. His fingers itched and curled into his palms, his head swirling a bit from the wine and brandy.
Before he knew what he was about, he’d reached across the carriage and picked her up once again, only this time, he placed her firmly in his lap.
She sat still for a stunned moment, her skirts trailing over his knees. “You—you cannot do that!”
“I just did,” he said smugly, placing a kiss on her jaw right where it touched her neck.
She gasped, her eyes widening.
“I’m sorry if I embarrassed you this evening, love,” he murmured against her neck.
She scrambled as if to get out of his lap, but he held her tighter, trailing his lips from her jaw to just below her ear.
“My lord, you—”
“Tristan,” he murmured, nibbling softly on the sensitive lobe of her ear.
Prudence grit her teeth, clinging desperately to her anger. She was furious, and with good reason, she told herself, even as a sensuous shiver traced down her back. His mouth traveled down her neck to her collarbone and, despite her intentions, she caught herself lifting her chin just a bit so he could continue his ministrations.
Waves of delight shivered through her, her breasts peaking. He’d been horrid this evening, she reminded herself, fisting her hands in an effort to maintain coherent thought. But… he had apologized, too. She needed to remember that though she and Reeves had taught the earl manners, they hadn’t managed to civilize him. This was a man who would never be civilized, no matter the circumstances.
His lips brushed her outer ear, then her temple, his breath warm and delicious. A bit more of her previous irritation melted, little by little. His hands were warm on her through the thin silk of her gown, his lips doing magical things to her. She should fight him, she told herself. She should fight him and demand that he return her to her seat. But she couldn’t. She couldn’t because her traitorous body was refusing to pay her any heed. The ability to think and thus frame a reasonable argument was rapidly leaving her. In the place of reason came a flood of emotions so potent, so powerful, that she was enthralled, caught in a net of heat and lust. Drowning in the silken honey of desire. She’d thought giving into her desire once would have slaked her fires. Instead, she wanted him all the more.
What did it matter, anyway? He had embarrassed her this evening, although a little part of her was thrilled at the attention. Truth be known, when she’d caught Tristan glowering at her dinner partners, she’d flirted a good bit more than she usually did.
It was odd how she both enjoyed and detested such behavior. She enjoyed it because for that moment— when he was staring at her with such focused desire— she’d felt powerful and even beautiful. Both were rare emotions, and she’d treasure them. But at the same time, she disliked being so affected by such things.
Tristan’s large, warm hands slid down her back to her waist. His hands tightened and he pulled her closer, settling her against the hard ridge forming in his breeches. Desire tightened her throat, sent her senses careening. Surely he wouldn’t do this, wouldn’t take this any further…
He threaded his hand through her hair, dislodging her pins and scattering them over the floor as her curls tumbled to her shoulders. His other hand slid down her leg and closed about her ankle, his fingers warm through her thin silk stocking. The sight of his large, masculine hand about her ankle was oddly erotic, especially when he slid his hand up beneath her skirt to cup her calf, then her knee.
Prudence quivered, her breasts tightened and she wished with all her heart that his touch would linger. Endure. Grow bolder.
She wanted him, but… she thought of his expression at the dinner party, of how possessive he’d been. Wouldn’t this just make matters worse? Or would it release yet more of the pressure that steamed between them, that pulse of awareness that had been growing since the first time she’d marched to his house ready for battle?
The thoughts chilled her and she caught his hand just as he readied to slide it up to her thigh. “There is one thing we must understand if we are to progress any further.”
His gaze narrowed and Prudence’s heart beat even harder. There was a menace to this man, a dark power that attracted her almost as much as it caught at her senses. But she refused to be cowed.
Ignoring the pounding of her heart, she straightened her shoulders and pushed free of his hold, sliding across the seat to a safer distance. She needed the space—and the time—to gather herself. When he was near, she had to fight to remember who she was, who he was.
Not that such a thing kept her from wanting him. Hardly that. But it was important that neither of them have any doubts as to what their relationship was. She cleared her throat. “I believe we both need to understand that this… dalliance is nothing more than that.” Though her face burned with embarrassment, she managed to meet his gaze levelly. “Do you understand?”
Amusement touched his lips. “You are a conundrum, my lovely Prudence. I thought ladies never—”
“I am no lady.” For the first time since she’d left London, Prudence was unabashedly glad for that fact. And it was true, according to the dictates of polite society.
His brows drew down. “You are a lady. One of the finest I’ve ever met.” He reached over and threaded a lock of her hair through his fingers, lifting the strand to his lips. “But you are also a woman, and therein lays the difference between you and those mewling cats society bows and scrapes before. They are not real, nor do they wish to be.”
Her stomach tightened as he rubbed the strand of her hair over his cheek, his eyes never leaving her. “Prudence, I want you.”
The words washed over her, his voice so deep it drew her toward him. She shivered, a trace of heated passion that rippled over her, across her, inside her. Her breasts peaked and crested, her knees grew weak and unstable. She wanted him, too. And why shouldn’t she? She was no innocent, never before touched. She had been touched. By Phillip.
At one time, the thought of Phillip might have turned her from this moment, made her feel guilty and alone. But now, all it did was send her forth. Phillip would not have wanted her to stop living merely because he’d died.
But now, she faced a choice of a more complex sort. Unlike her relationship with Phillip, there was no future for her with Tristan. No matter the physical attraction between them, it could not be. He was an earl, required by the trustees to be socially acceptable. She, meanwhile, was anything but. They would never approve of her, especially as the trustees were well aware of her public disgrace.
Which left her with what? Over the weeks, she had come to know the sailors in Tristan’s household, and they had become important to her in their own right. There was Toggle, who was a bit confused, but always sweet natured. Gibbons with his missing arm; she worried about him for he was so despondent. Adkins who was horribly scarred, but always found something to laugh at. And Stevens, who always made her feel welcome. She’d come to care for them all. If she encouraged Tristan to pursue their relationship, it would easily jeopardize his chances of winning the fortune. She refused to be the cause of more distress to those who had already suffered.
What she had to do was admit to herself that this attraction was only temporary. A short-term indulgence, one brought on by the yearning this wonderful, intelligent man aroused within her. And once the trustees arrived, it would end, as suddenly and as seriously as it had begun.
Her heart ached as she looked at him in the flickering light of the carriage lamp, admiring his eyes, his fine nose, the cut of his jaw.
He raised a hand to his own cheek. “What is it? You look as if you’ve found something horribly wrong.”
She smiled somewhat mirthlessly, the carriage swaying a little as they rounded a corner of the narrow road. “Perhaps I’ve merely found something terribly right.”
Tristan picked up her hand and held it to his lips. “Prudence, I was a fool this evening. Can you forgive me? I cannot promise I will never again be jealous, but I will at least contain my actions to a more proper time and place.” His breath warmed the skin on the back of her hand. “I can tell I upset you. Let me make it up to you.”
“I might,” she said, smiling a little at the huskiness of her own voice. “But only on my terms.”
His expression darkened, the smile still in place. “You are a warrior at heart, aren’t you, my dear? You’d sooner fight than breathe.”
“I do not like to lose,” she said, the carriage bumping slightly over the uneven road. “Who does?”
“And making love with me would be losing?” A deep chuckle escaped him. “I think you need to redefine what you think ‘losing’ is. Or perhaps…” His gaze dropped to her lips, his eyes darkening, “…perhaps I need to redefine the word for you.”
Her heart sped up a bit at that, her breasts swelling a little. She met his gaze boldly, though she had to fight not to keep her breathlessness from showing. “What do you intend to do?”
His green eyes sparkled then, the thick black lashes lowering. Ever so slowly, he reached over and undid her cloak, his fingers warm against her throat, her shoulders. He caressed every inch of skin as he exposed it, lightly brushing his fingertips over her. His movements were slow, languorous, sensual.
They were going to make love. She knew it with a certainty that held her in thrall. A wave of anticipation clasped her, the intensity of it astounding her. Just the thought of being with this man was a torture and a pleasure unlike any she’d ever had.
Tristan freed the cloak from her and then slid her to his side. Suddenly bereft of his warmth, as well as her cloak, she shivered a little, crossing her arms before her. She watched as Tristan rolled the cloak into a long thick rope.
“What are you doing?”
He flashed a grin that set her heart pounding. “I am marking the line of battle, m’lady.”
The line of battle. She rather thought she liked that.
He moved down the bench a bit and pushed one end of the ‘rope’ over the top of the seat, then slid it down the back of the cushion to tuck it between the cushions. The remainder of the rope he let trail over the seat to the carriage floor.
“There,” he said when he’d finished, leaning back to observe his handiwork.
She looked at the thickly cushioned seat, at the line of her cloak against the plush red velvet. “So… this side of the seat is mine.”
“And this side is mine,” he answered, patting the seat by his thigh.
She really wished he hadn’t done that, drawn her gaze to his thigh. He had the most incredible muscles there, outlined in sharp relief by his breeches. She had to swallow before she could continue. “And we are to wage war? On this carriage seat?”
“I’d prefer to think of it as wrestle. For control.”
Well. That sounded rather promising. Despite her misgivings, Prudence smiled a little. “I don’t believe it would be a fair match. After all, you are quite a bit larger than me.”
“Perhaps ‘wrestle’ is the wrong word. The more correct term would be… ‘entice.’ ” His dark, smoldering gaze raked across her. “The game is to see who can entice whom to cross the line first.”
Entice. Such a tiny word. And yet it held so much promise. Prudence’s heart rang loudly in her ears. “What exactly do you mean when you say ‘entice’? That could mean a lot of different—”
He untied his cravat.
“Oh!” she said breathlessly. She glanced at the carriage windows where the leather curtains were latched into place. “I don’t know if we should—”
He tossed his cravat to one side. He was out of his waistcoat in equal time, tossing it to the opposite seat. “Whoever crosses the line first of their own free will, loses. Although…” His teeth flashed in a grin as he pulled his shirt free from the waistband and pulled it over his head. “In this war, my love, we both win.”

Chapter 16

Even the most cautious of servants will find that surprises happen. The question becomes whether they take you—or you take them.
A Compleat Guide for
by Richard Robert Reeves

It was silliness. It really was. And Prudence knew that. But she was fascinated. Fascinated with the thought of lovemaking in a carriage.
And even more fascinated with the man who sat within arm’s reach, his shirt gone. “What if we get caught?”
“My love, they will have to stop the carriage before they come to open the door. Besides, it is a long ride.”
That was true. It had taken them almost an hour to reach the squire’s. Prudence watched as Tristan’s shirt joined the other articles of clothing on the seat across from them.
He paused, eyeing her up and down. “Well?”
She suddenly realized she hadn’t moved an inch, but was sitting on the edge of her half of the seat, watching Tristan disrobe. Every movement he made fanned the fires banked deep within her.
If she wished to entice him, she had to do something. But what? Almost of their own volition, her fingers found the ribbon at the neckline of her gown. She had just begun to untie it when she caught Tristan’s gaze.
He sat so still as to appear to be a statue, his lips firmly together, his eyes bright and hard. He looked so… tense. As if he was only barely in control.
Ah! He was struggling to maintain his composure. That was interesting, indeed. Perhaps if she slowed things down a bit and made the anticipation work for her…
She dropped her hands back into her lap. “I think I will wait.”
His brows lowered. “Wait?”
“For you to finish disrobing.” She sat back in her corner, watching him from beneath her lashes. “Pray continue. I am vastly enjoying this.”
He eyed her a moment, disbelief in every line of his expression. “I don’t believe that’s fair.”
“Fair?” She smiled. “Who said we had to be fair? I rather thought the purpose was to test one another’s ability to withstand temptation.”
“It is,” he said, though his tone was somewhat grim, which made Prudence’s smile widen.
“Hm. Then perhaps you are just afraid…” She looked at him from beneath her lashes. “Of losing.”
That seemed to goad him enough, for he snapped his mouth closed and yanked off his boots.
Prudence was mesmerized by the site of his broad back, of the muscles that rippled beneath his skin, of the narrowness of his waist and the sinew of his arms. God, but he was a lovely man.
And for this moment, all hers.
The thought buoyed her a bit and she was able to keep her composure even when he tossed aside his boots, and began to undo his breeches. The next moment was one Prudence would remember all of her life. One moment he was before her, resplendent in his black breeches—and then he was naked, every tightly chiseled, sinewy inch of him exposed.
The scar on his leg gleamed white against his muscled sinew. She remembered that she had kissed it, a delicious shiver rippling over her.
Prudence’s pulse pounded behind her ears and eyes. Her skin tightened and tingled.
Tristan turned on the seat to face her, his muscular legs slightly splayed so she could see—
She closed her eyes, hands clenched at her sides, before taking a deep breath. Perhaps this was a dream, a wonderful dream. Slowly, she opened her eyes…he was still there. And still magnificent, every inch of him. She was awash in longing simply by looking at him.
Had there been no line down the center of the seat, she might well have disrobed, slid to his side, and pulled him to her. But this was no longer a moment of sharing, but of winning.
And she refused to do anything else.
Forcing herself to appear calm, Prudence smiled ever so slightly, hoping her lips weren’t trembling as much as her legs. “Well…” She let her breath smooth the word and linger in the smoky darkness of the rocking carriage.
She traced the neckline of her gown with her fingers, noting how his gaze seemed locked on her hands. She slid one hand down her front, over the curve of her breast, to her stomach, and lower.
His expression tightened. “What are you doing?”
She smiled. “Undressing.” This was power, she realized. Real power. He was watching her every move, unable to look away.
Prudence lifted her foot and placed it on the opposite seat. She pulled off her slipper and let it fall to the carriage floor. Then she gathered the hem of her dress in one hand.
She never once looked away from Tristan’s face, from the flash of heat that darkened his eyes when she pulled the hem across her knee and exposed her calf and foot. “My stockings must come off.”
She slid the gown a bit higher, exposing now her thigh all the way to the top. Her chemise hid the top of her stocking ties, but she pulled it aside and began to slowly unlace the satin strings.
Tristan’s gaze never left her leg. Indeed, he seemed mesmerized, his gaze captured by the movement of her hands, his breathing harsh in the silence.
She undid the ties and then began to slowly roll her stocking down her leg. As she did so, she allowed her hands to linger on her own skin, brushing here, touching there.
The sound of his breathing filled the narrow space. Prudence watched Tristan from under her lashes, her own body heating at the sight of his obvious arousal, at the tension that marked his expression, at the desire that burned in his gaze.
She removed the stocking and then took off her other shoe, careful to keep the hem of her skirt on her thigh, high but not too high. Not yet, anyway.
She took her time taking this stocking off as well, lingering on her own curves, using Tristan’s expression to gauge her movements. He seemed particularly heated when she touched her skin, and so she cupped her calf and trailed her fingers up it to the hollow behind her knee.
Tristan leaned forward, his hands touching the cloak line but not moving it. His eyes burned tightly, his body taut. “If you will cross the line, I will kiss you where your fingers touch.”
Prudence found that her own breath was unsteady, her own body burning beneath her fingers. “Everywhere?”
“Everywhere.”
She threw the stocking to the floor and pulled her gown back to her ankles. His gaze was riveted to her. “Tristan, if you cross the line, I will allow you to do more than merely kiss me.”
A white line appeared beside his mouth.
Smiling, Prudence undid the ribbon at her neck. It opened and released her gown. She loosened the shoulders, and pushed it down, off her arms, past her waist. She lifted her hips from the seat and pushed the gown to the floor, where it lay, a puddle of satin and lace.
Tristan had never seen anything so beautiful. She was brazen and yet of a rare and beautiful quality. A respectable woman, and yet a woman of passion and longing that made him want her all the more.
He’d never met anyone who so completely tantalized him, challenged him. Watching her undress was torture and pleasure, both.
She sat now in nothing but her chemise. The thin material clung to the tops of her breasts, casting curious shadows between and beneath them. Pert bows rested at the crest of each breast, begging to be untied.
Tristan was so aroused he ached. Yet still he did not move. He grasped the edge of the seat, totally engaged in watching the woman before him. He regretted the challenge he’d made in drawing a line down the seat.
She undid one of the ties of her chemise. The top draped down over one breast, clinging to the delectable slope. She reached up for the other tie, her fingers hovering.
Her rich brown eyes met his. “What if you invite me to cross the line?”
He set his jaw. “I would lose.”
“I see.”
Tristan heard the desire in her voice, her fascination with her own longing. He felt the same way. But he could not allow her to win this contretemps. He could not.
She undid the other tie and the chemise fell from her breasts, exposing the creamy mounds to his hungry gaze. They were beautiful, full, with rose-kissed nipples that drew his attention and made him even more painfully aware of her.
With a graceful lift of her hips, the chemise went the way of her gown and she was completely nude, her eyes shining, her lips curled in a secret smile, as if she knew very well what she was doing to him.
It was the most arousing, sensual moment of his life.
She lifted her arms and began pulling pins from her hair. “What if we should change the rule?”
Tristan found he could not look away from her breasts. “Yes?”
“It is not crossing the line unless your hips touch the cloak. But hands and else…” Her eyes sparkled. “Hands and else may roam wherever they will go.”
Tristan’s blood roared anew. “Hands and else?”
“Anything but hips.”
“I accept the change in rules.”
Her lips curled into a small smile. “I thought you might.” She withdrew two last pins. Her deep brown hair fell to her shoulders in a silky swath.
Tristan caught his breath. She was glorious.
She leaned back, her legs slightly parting as she did so, the dim light touching her body with intriguing shades. Her hair streamed over her shoulders, covering one breast and leaving the other for his hungry gaze. “What now?”
He reached over the line and placed his hands on her knees, his fingers lingering on her delicate skin. “What now, indeed?”
Her bare skin burned him through the pads of his fingers. His body reacted immediately. Already hard, his erection leaped with the touch.
His mind and imagination was already inflamed, fanned by her tempting disrobing. Now, his skin tingled with delicious sensation, and his body yearned for more. “May I kiss you?”
Her eyes darkened, her chest rising and railing in a way that let him know she was as affected as he. “I suppose we could meet at the line.”
“Indeed we could.”
Prudence leaned forward. Tristan found himself watching her full breasts as she leaned, the sight enrapturing.
And then… she was there. And he was kissing her, his mouth covering hers, his tongue gently slipping through her lips.
The kiss heated, expanded, exploded. Suddenly, kissing was not enough. His hands were everywhere, as were hers.
This was madness. Lovely, sweet, joy-inspired madness. Tomorrow he’d think about the consequences. For right now, he just wanted to get lost in her loveliness.
It seemed to him that Prudence felt the same. He could feel the tumultuous pounding of her heart, smell the clove-scented passion of her breath. She was his. All he had to do was slide forward, pull her into his lap, make her his and—
Something caught at his leg. Tristan looked down at the cloak bundled against his hip.
She moaned and tugged at him.
With the most incredible control he’d ever exhibited, Tristan put a bit more space between himself and the line. “I can’t, sweetheart. I can’t cross the line. Not unless you invite me…” He waited, praying she’d give in, hoping she’d allow him to—
“No.” She leaned toward him, sliding her fingers through his hair, and pulling him forward until his lips were against hers. Her lashes lifted, and her eyes met his as she said against his lips, “Take me.”
He trembled with the need to plunge into her, to bury himself to his loins, and take her over and over and over. But every time he slid in her direction, the cloak stopped him. Reminded him of their game. If she was too proud to lose, he was too stubborn.
He placed his hands on her arms and pushed her from him. “I will not forfeit myself.”
A slow smile curled her lips and she leaned back against the squab, the red velvet making her skin milky white, her breasts begging for his touch. She stretched her arms over her head and shrugged. “Then do not.”
Tristan realized she was being deliberately provocative. And doing a damned fine job of it, too. As if she could read his thoughts, she reached down and cupped her breasts, her lashes low over her eyes, her lips pursed invitingly.
God, but she was delicious. He could not hold out much longer. This called for extreme measures. He reached over the line of battle and placed his hand on her knee.
Her lashes lifted, her eyes such a warm, cinnamon brown. He leaned over the cloak line and placed a kiss on her cheek, the corner of her mouth, her neck… With each progressive kiss, he slid his hand higher. Higher still. When his lips found her shoulder, his hand rested on her thigh. He lightly brushed his fingers over her skin, trailing them up… up… He allowed his fingertips to trace the tight curls that enticed him beyond measure.
He bent to clasp her nipple in his mouth the same moment his fingers found her secret folds, Prudence gasped and arched, bringing herself even more within his reach.
“Say it,” Tristan murmured as she writhed against the seat. “Say you want me to join you.”
“No,” she gasped. “I—Oh, God!”
“Say it,” he ground out. He slipped a finger deep into her wetness, curling it just so. “Say you want me to cross the line.”
“No,” she repeated, shaking her head vehemently, her dark hair spilling over the back of the velvet seat.
Damn, but the woman was determined. She was also intriguing and erotic, and he ached with the desperate need to taste her. He couldn’t remember ever wanting a woman this badly. Ever working this hard to win his way into any woman’s graces. But there was something about Prudence that was just… different. She was more than most women—more caring, more honest, more sensual.
She moaned as his fingers moved in her. She reached down and clutched his wrist, writhing against him.
He could feel the moisture that slipped from her, the fullness of her causing him an agony of need. “Prudence, let me—”
“No,” she gasped and then squirmed, her want growing, the finger tormenting but not satisfying. “Tristan, I want—” She bit her lip, twisting her head this way and that.
He leaned forward and whispered in her ear, “Indeed I can, my love. But you have to ask first. Ask me to cross the line and you will stop wanting, stop needing.”
His entire body was taut with the effort to control his responses. He wanted her, badly. So badly. But he would not be the one to give in. He increased his ministrations, now brushing the pad of his thumb over her most sensitive spot.
She arched almost instantly, growing hotter, more insistent. “Tristan!” It was a cry and a plea.
“Damn it, Prudence,” he said through gritted teeth. “I can’t—” He tried to pull his hand away from her, but she grabbed his wrist and held him fast.
Damn it all. She could neither stop nor leave her pride behind, and neither could he. What in the hell had he been thinking, to suggest the damn line to begin with?
Prudence placed her hands on either side of his face, drawing him near. “Tristan, move with me.”
“What?”
“Move with me. We’ll cross the line at the same time. We’ll make love on top of it.”
He just looked at her. Then, ever so slowly, a smile broke through his lust-clouded mind. “We will both win,” he heard his astonished voice say aloud.
He had to laugh. His Prudence was always the most practical of all women, even in the heat of passion. He reached over and cupped her bottom in his hands and in one smooth movement, slid her beneath him even as he moved over her. She helped, too, her legs splaying to engulf him, welcome him, her feet on the edge of the opposite seat.
The cloak line ran directly beneath her back. “Will this bother you—” He got no further. With a blissful smile, Prudence clasped her legs about his waist and impaled herself on him.
All thought left Tristan’s mind. All he could do was feel. Feel her heat and tightness, feel the warm band that encircled him like a hot, wet glove. He was enthralled, engrossed, and enrapt, all by a woman whose head did not even reach his shoulder.
She wiggled slightly, her breathing as harsh as his. “Tristan,” she managed to say through panting gasps. “More.”
More. What a powerful word. And if it was more she wanted it, it was more she would get. Tristan obligingly began to move, pressing into her, increasing the pressure, the rhythm.
The feelings increased, multiplied. The rocking motion of the carriage pushed them further, adding to the moment. Tristan twisted slightly in an effort to get even better angle, but his bad leg hit the seat behind him.
He winced, gasping in pain.
“What is it?” Prudence asked.
“My leg,” he groaned. “This damned carriage.”
Prudence’s gaze met his, a wicked smile playing about her lush mouth. “Tristan, let me on top.”
For a moment, he could just look into the warm brown of her eyes. Then an answering smile tickled his mouth. “Very well, sweetheart. Hold on to me.”
She clasped her arms about his neck. Tristan put his hands on her waist and then, with a smooth movement, he rolled to one side.
Her gasp filled the air and for a moment, she held completely still, her head thrown back as she savored the feeling of him buried truly deeply in her. Tristan grasped her hips and helped her move, sliding her forward and then backward, rocking her against him. Prudence was soon setting the pace, a hand on each of his shoulders, her hair raking across his neck and chest. The sensations built and grew. Tristan had to fight for control, but fight he did. And he was amply rewarded when suddenly, she stiffened and gasped his name.
Waves of pleasure tightened about his shaft as she fell forward across him. Tristan clasped Prudence to him, holding her tightly as his own desires exploded along with hers.
Moments later, his arms still tight about her, their hearts still thundering loudly, Prudence pushed herself upright. She still encased him in her velvet sheath, the motion making him groan.
She paused, pushed her hair from her eyes, a concerned expression on her face. “Are you—did that hurt?”
He chuckled and pulled her back to his shoulder, then held her in his arms as he returned to his seat. “No, my sweet.” He tugged the cloak free from where it was partially pinned beneath them and spread it over her. “That did not hurt at all. In fact, it felt—” He kissed her nose. “—magnificent—” He kissed her cheek. “—and absolutely wondrous.”
A shy smile touched her lips, her eyes sparkling gently. “I think I have a slight problem.”
He twined a strand of her hair about his finger. He couldn’t seem to stop touching her, stroking her, exploring her softness. “What problem is that?”
“I think I might like this too much.”
He laughed softly. “There is no ‘too much’ where this is concerned.”
“No?”
“No. Indeed, that is the beauty of the thing; there are few limits.”
“Hmmm.” She traced a finger along his jaw. “I suppose neither of us won the war.”
He smiled, sleepily satisfied and ******* somehow. “We both won, sweetheart. We both won.”
Prudence rested her cheek on his shoulder. Had they both won? She was not sorry they’d made love again— it was destined to happen. She knew that with every beat of her heart. This moment was meant to be. What she wasn’t so sure about was what would happen now. Some of the glow left at the thought. “We should get dressed.”
He sighed. “Must we?”
“Yes. As much as I love Stevens, if he came out to meet the carriage and found me like this, I don’t think I could bear to ever face him again.”
“That would be a problem. Very well, my sweet. Let us dress.”
They gathered their clothes and began to dress, though Tristan slowed things down considerably by passionately kissing her while she was attempting to put on her stockings.
It was as she was adjusting her dress and smoothing it back into place that the truth dawned on Prudence with the clarity of the ring of a church bell; she loved him.
The thought sucked all of the strength from her legs and made her sink weakly to the seat. Surely not. Perhaps it was just a warm flicker of enjoyment from their passionate embrace. Or a response to being touched after such a long, long time. Surely it was nothing more…
But it was true. She, Prudence Thistlewaite, loved Tristan Llevanth, the dangerously uncivilized earl of Rochester.
She placed a hand over her mouth, more to still her trembling lips than any other reason. There had to be some mistake. Some lapse in judgment or consideration. Some… error.
“Done,” Tristan said, his cravat once again about his throat, though only knotted this time. “That is much better. Now we will be able to maintain our dignity when Stevens opens the carriage door.”
Prudence managed a faint smile. “That is very important.”
“Keeping one’s dignity? At times, yes.” His teeth flashed in a smile. “And then there are times when it can be quite cumbersome.” Without any more warning than that, he reached over and picked up Prudence and set her back in his lap.
“What are you doing?”
“Staying warm.” He wrapped the cloak about them both and leaned back in the corner.
Enclosed in his arms, Prudence pressed her cheek against his chest. Once the trustees gave their approval, he would be London-bound where the women of the ton would make it their business to match him with someone of his own station.
And that would not be her. She never again wished to return to the heart-rending emptiness that she now felt was London. Never again did she want to walk the halls of the great houses and hear the stirrings of whispers, the cruel mocking laughter, or worse, the superior stares of those who never really cared.
Tristan brushed a strand of hair from her cheek. “I always knew you were a passionate woman. But until tonight, I didn’t really know what passion was.”
Prudence tried to smile, snuggling deeper against him as the coach swayed down the road. “It was wonderful.”
And it had been. And would be. At least, it would be until the realities of their life intruded. For now, at least, she wouldn’t think of that.
She listened to the steady beat of his heart, her cheek resting against the crisp linen of his shirt. His breathing deepened, his body relaxed and she wondered if he slept.
She’d never thought to love again, not after Phillip. But she’d been wrong.
Tristan shifted a little and moved his shoulders, his arm tightening about Prudence as if he wished to hold her closer. The warmth of his embrace soothed her.
Prudence didn’t move. She blinked back tears even as she snuggled against him. The trustees would be coming soon and the reason she was in his life would disappear the second they agreed to grant him the title and funds. It would be time for her to go, soon enough.
Meanwhile, she’d take what she could from this moment, savor it as much as she could, and then, let it go, just as she would let him go. Just as she’d had to let Phillip go—
The carriage lurched to one side, sliding them both against the door. Tristan’s arms tightened and he took the brunt of the force on his shoulder.
“What is that blasted coachman doing?” Tristan muttered as they swayed wildly to the other side.
The coach lurched again, even more wildly this time.
Tristan was thrown toward. He grasped Prudence to him with one arm and used the other to catch his weight, his bad leg hitting the edge of the seat opposite. He grunted with pain.
The carriage careened side to side as if the hounds of hell were at its rear wheels, the single lantern swaying on the ceiling hook and flickering madly.
A shot rang out, the sound reverberating in the silence of the night.
Through the uncertain light, Tristan cursed. “Damn it all! It’s a highwayman!” He pushed Prudence to the floor and reached behind her for a box. Inside were two pistols. He pulled them out and glinted a cold smile. “Do not fear, my love. This is one highwayman who will never again see the light of day.”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 18-01-08, 01:38 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 22
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: darla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáí

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Cheers

Chapter 17

You may discover that your employer’s cantankerous nature hides a true love for a good fight. Do not be surprised. Even the gentry find a scrape or two an amusement.
A Compleat Guide for
by Richard Robert Reeves

Tristan blew out the lamp, sending the inside of the carriage into darkness. He reached farther back beneath the seat, searching until he found another box, this one longer than the other. He opened it and removed a sword.
Prudence grabbed his knee. “Tristan, give me one of the pistols.”
Though he could not see her face now, he could imagine the calm bravery in her brown eyes. “Can you shoot it?”
“Of course. My father taught me when I was a child.”
He shoved the pistol into her hand just as the carriage pulled to a sliding halt, the horses neighing madly. “Hide it in your skirt and don’t—”
The door was wrenched open. Tristan cursed when no figure appeared. With the brightness of the moonlight, it would have been child’s play to shoot their attackers. But whoever planned this was too experienced, and no one appeared in the gap.
“Come out with yer nabbers on yer head!”
Bloody hell, the man sounded huge.
Tristan moved to the door, but just as he reached it, Prudence threw her arms about him and pressed her body to his. He hugged her back, resting his cheek briefly against her hair.
His mind whirled with thoughts and emotions. He remembered how black his life had seemed only a few short weeks ago, so black that he would have welcomed tonight’s fight with a blood thirst unalleviated by thoughts of a future or desires of the present. Now, things had changed. He would fight this fight, and he would win. If he did not, Prudence’s life could well be forfeited.
The thought both invigorated him and frightened him. He had to find a way through this mire. He had to. There were no other options.
With one last look at Prudence, Tristan gathered himself and climbed out of the carriage. A huge, hulking man stood to the right of the door, the moonlight gleaming off his blunderbuss.
“My lord!” the coachman said. He stood beside the coach holding a strip of broken reins. John was one of Reeves’s men and a magician with horses, though not, apparently, with a blunderbuss. “I am sorry, my lord. I didn’t see them until it was too late. I tried to give them the slip and outrun them, but the leathers broke and I couldn’t—”
“I am sure you did the best you could.” Tristan glanced around, trying to discern the number of their attackers. So far, except for the large man, no one else was in sight.
John leaned forward to say in a low voice, “Both of our outriders escaped, my lord, though one was injured. Surely they will reach the cottage and bring the others to help—”
“ ‘Ere now, enough yabbering! Out with yer goods so we can all go home early this evening. ‘Tis cold, ye know. I’ve no wish to take an ague.”
“Of course. That would be most distressing.” Tristan whipped out his pistol and pointed it directly at the man’s heart.
“I wouldn’t do that,” came a cultured voice behind Tristan. Something pressed through his coat, a sharp point resting between his shoulder blades.
The coachman gulped loudly. “They’s two of them, my lord. I meant to tell ye that, but I didn’t have time.”
The sword pressed a bit more painfully into Tristan’s back. “Drop the pistol.”
Tristan grimaced and dropped his pistol to the ground.
“That is right, my good friend,” said the man behind him. “A very wise decision, one that will let you live another day.”
The big ruffian came forward, waving his pistol. “Empty yer pockets, guv’nor. And make it quick-like. We’ve two more culls to tend to this evenin’.”
Fury built inside Tristan s temples. He emptied his pockets, throwing a watch and some coins onto the ground.
“That’s all ye have?” the giant said, disgust in his voice.
“Easy, my friend,” came the more cultured gentleman from behind Tristan. “I daresay there’s more in the carriage. I thought I heard a woman’s voice after they stopped.” The thief’s voice dripped with amusement. “Perhaps we shall have two prizes this night, instead of one.”
Tristan waited no more. He threw himself forward and out of reach of the sword pressed into his back. With every ounce of force he possessed, he lunged toward the large ruffian, knocking the pistol aside and landing squarely on his attacker.
The huge man crashed to the ground with a startled “oof!”, his pistol skittering beneath the coach, the metal clacking on the stones that paved the road. Without giving anyone time to do more than blink, Tristan raised his fist and slammed it into the man’s jaw.
The man grunted and shook his head, but he did not lose consciousness. Tristan cursed loudly. He had large fists and normally one of his blows would black the lights on any man. But not the behemoth. The huge ruffian lifted meaty hands to grab Tristan about the neck.
Breathing suddenly became a luxury. Tristan clawed at the thick fingers, but they remained in place, tightening and tightening. Spots danced before Tristan’s eyes and he struggled for breath. God help him, but was this it? Was he to die on the side of the road in the black of night, in sight of Prudence?
The thought of Prudence gave him new strength. He drew up a knee to hit his attacker in a more exposed area, but the man was too quick, drawing up his own knee to block the blow.
Tristan blinked, struggling to stay conscious. His hands were wrapped around his attacker’s wrists, keeping the grip from being truly lethal.
“I vow,” said the cultured thief, “you have mud all over your clothing. That is a great pity, for I wished to have that coat for myself.”
There was a faint noise and then Prudence materialized out of nowhere.
“Mon dieu!” the thief said, stepping forward, his sword drawn.
But Prudence was not interested in swords. She stood with her pistol leveled at the huge man attacking Tristan. In two short steps, she had the muzzle leveled at his temple. “Let him go.”
The man froze. The huge oaf shot a surprised glance toward the other thief. “Jack?”
“Easy, my lady,” the thief said, all laughter gone from his voice. “Willie, do not move. She looks deadly intent.”
“I am,” Prudence said. “Release him.”
The behemoth slowly loosened his hold on Tristan’s neck. Tristan balled up his fist, lifted up and hit the man in the temple with every ounce of strength he possessed. The last blow hadn’t had the luxury of being so well placed. This time, the man’s eyes rolled back, and then closed as he slumped, unconscious.
Tristan pushed himself to his knees. “Prudence, get back in—”
The tip of a blade flashed to the side of Prudence’s throat. Her eyes widened as a black-clothed arm snaked about her waist. The thief regarded Tristan over her head.
Tristan’s ears rang. All he could do was look at Prudence.
“Drop the pistol, my dear,” the thief said softly into Prudence’s ear. “It looks so unwieldy in those lovely hands.”
Tristan caught her gaze, his heart pounding in his throat. “Do as he says.”
He thought for a moment she would disagree with him, but instead she very, very slowly laid the pistol on the ground. As soon as she stood, the thief kicked the pistol beneath the coach and pulled her flush against him.
Tristan’s vision flamed red. The bastard was holding Prudence, his arm insolently around her waist. No one was allowed to do such a thing. No one.
“Don’t look so glum, man of the ham-like fists,” the thief said, amusement in his voice. “And do not move. Or the lady here will never again smell the sweet scent of jasmine that is so prevalent in this part of the country.”
Tristan grit his teeth. He was halfway up, his weight on his bad leg. He didn’t know how long it would hold. “What if I do move?”
“Then you had best kiss the lovely lady goodbye. Or better yet, watch me do it for you.”
“Bastard,” Tristan snarled. “If you touch her—”
“You will what?” the man said. His teeth flashed whitely in the moonlight, his half mask hiding only the color and shape of his eyes. “Fortunately for you, I am not a man given to violence against the gentle sex. In fact,” the thief used his free hand to lift one of Prudence’s curls, “I rather enjoy women. All of them.”
Fury bolted through Tristan, hot and cold, furious and pounding. “If you harm her, I will kill you.”
“Alas, you cannot. Not only is there your health to consider, but there is that of the lady’s. Now, slowly empty your pockets. And this time, do it all of the way. I will be watching. First the right one, then the left one.”
Tristan’s jaw tightened. The sheer effrontery of the man. Tristan found himself looking at Prudence. She met his gaze steadily before casting her eyes toward the ground.
He frowned. She was trying to tell him something. Tristan slowly removed the remaining funds from his pockets, though in truth, there was lamentably little. Still, it gave him time to try and comprehend Prudence’s minute gestures.
She looked at him again, then down at the ground, only this time, she closed her eyes and let her head fall forward ever so slightly.
Tristan nodded. As he emptied the last bit of coinage in his pocket, he managed to reassure himself that the short sword was still tucked in his waistband.
Prudence gave a gasp and then slumped forward, her body a dead weight. The thief tried to catch her, the sword forgotten a moment as he tried to keep his balance. Prudence collapsed on the ground as if unconscious.
Tristan lunged forward, his sword at the ready. The highwayman stepped back, bringing up his rapier in answer. There was a clang as the two weapons met.
“A short sword against a rapier.” Tristan smiled, though he did not feel like it at all. “I believe I have the advantage.”
“It depends upon your skill, my friend. And mine.” The highwayman lunged forward, his eyes shimmering in the holes in his mask as his blade flashed wickedly in the bright moonlight.
Tristan parried the man’s moves. The short sword was the stronger weapon, for one solid blow above the hilt line could break the rapier in half. But the rapier was faster, more deadly. One slip of his defense, and his opponent would have him skewered on the tip.
The trick was to keep the man moving, which was not easy, especially as the fall with the behemoth had stiffened Tristan’s leg. Every move was painful and growing more so by the second.
The thief made a sudden feint, which Tristan parried, though it carried him back a few steps. To regain ground, Tristan charged, careful to use his good leg for balance. Each step was an agony.
Just one hit, that’s all he needed. Yet as he fought, it became apparent that his opponent was something out of the ordinary with the rapier.
Tristan grimly settled in to defend himself, parrying lunges and feints with such rapidity that it was all he could do to keep abreast. His leg ached and cold sweat beaded on his forehead. He could not spin and leap like his opponent. But he could stand his ground and fight like a demon.
During an especially brutal onslaught, the rapier sliced through Tristan’s coat, leaving a bloody sting to his arm. From the corner of his eyes, Tristan caught movement. Prudence stepped forward as if to stop the fight. “No!” Tristan snapped, his gaze on his attacker.
Prudence stepped back, and he could hear a low murmur as the coachman caught her arm. “Don’t distract him, madam!”
Tristan fought on, his body drenched now with his efforts. The thief’s breath rasped harshly in the cold night air. The light from the moon outlined him in full form, the line of his shoulders, the creases of his greatcoat, the dark hair flowing to his shoulders.
“Look, you,” Tristan growled as he brought the short sword up to catch the sweep of the rapier once again. “Give, and I will let you breathe another day.”
The man chuckled, the sound sending a trigger of alarm through him. That chuckle… Tristan’s brows lowered. He knew it, recognized it from somewhere long ago.
He frowned, knocking away the rapier when his opponent once more stepped forward, the tip of the blade slicing across Tristan’s chin. “Ow!” He touched his chin, the slick wetness of his own blood dripping onto his hand and down his neck. “You little devil!”
His opponent laughed delightedly. “So I am. Let us finish this once and for all.”
A horse sounded down the road. “Ah!” Tristan said, flourishing his sword once more, “my men come. You are a dead man.”
The stranger approached with lightning quickness, his blade whipping in and out. “If I die, then so will you.”
Tristan twisted away, bringing up his own sword in retaliation. Onward they fought, silent but for their labored breathing and the clank of their weapons.
They were evenly matched and it became more a question of who would tire first. Tristan began to think perhaps he had the advantage over his slighter opponent, but just as he stepped to one side to avoid an especially vicious attack, his good foot slipped on a loose rock. He caught himself with his other leg and pain exploded behind his eyes.
Teeth grinding together, Tristan forced himself to remain standing. No. He could not fall. Prudence needed him. She—
A shot rang out, so close it made Tristan start. The thief paused, his eyes widening behind his mask. He wavered on his feet a long moment, looking down at his shirt.
Prudence stepped forward. She held a smoking pistol, the front of her dress covered in mud where she’d crawled beneath the carriage. From where he stood, Tristan could see her pale face, her pulse beating wildly in her throat.
The thief touched a hand to his shirt. It came away black in the moonlight. “Mon dieu,” he said in an oddly detached voice. “I think you have killed me.”
With that, he fell to his knees, the rapier dropping into the mud. A weak laugh bubbled from his lips. “Our last run. We thought it would—” He faltered, his eyes sliding closed as he fell to the ground.
Tristan’s knee buckled at the exact moment and he fell beside the man. Prudence was there in a trice. She threw the pistol to one side and reached for him. “Oh Tristan, can you—”
The horse burst into sight. But it wasn’t MacGrady or Toggle, or even Stevens who’d come at the call to action. It was Reeves. He dismounted and threw the reins to the coachman, and then ran forward, pausing only to remove the lantern from the side of the carriage.
But instead of coming to Tristan’s side, he went to the thief’s and knelt. He pressed his fingers to the man’s throat. “He’s still breathing. Thank the lord!”
Tristan allowed Prudence to help him to his feet, her warm hands holding him in place. He hugged her to him, enveloping her completely. Oh God, to have almost lost her. He didn’t dare think what might have happened if—
The thief moaned softly. Reeves undid the muffler around his neck and pressed it to the man’s wounds. “He will live,” the butler said, relief evident in his quiet voice. “It’s not a deep wound, but it must be cleaned.”
“I am not cleaning the wounds of a man who tried to kill us all.”
Reeves sent Tristan a sharp look. “He didn’t try to kill you, just wound you.”
“He seemed in dead earnest,” Prudence offered.
“Aye,” Tristan said with a sarcastic note in his voice. “It certainly felt as if he was trying to kill me.”
Reeves tied his muffler into place about the man’s side. “He has never killed anyone. Not once in his entire career as a highwayman, and there were plenty of opportunities.”
The thief stirred, then lifted a hand to his head. “What the hell happened?”
Reeves bent over him. “You were wounded. Lie still and I will take you to the cottage.”
“My cottage?” Tristan said, scowling. What the hell was wrong with Reeves? “Surely not—”
The thief pushed himself up on one elbow, pressing a hand to his side. “Reeves?”
From where she stood beneath Tristan’s arm, Prudence gave a start. Her wide brown eyes found his. “He knows Reeves?”
Tristan frowned at the thief. “How do you know Reeves?”
Reeves finished his ministrations and stood, picking up his lamp. “That is quite simple, my lord. I visited him last week.”
“You visited a highwayman? What for—” Tristan looked at the highwayman. “No. It… it cannot be.”
The man managed a weak smile, his mouth barely visible beneath the edge of his mask.
Tristan reached down, wincing when his leg protested, and slowly removed his opponent’s mask.
Reeves lifted the lamp. Light spilled over the thief’s face. Dark hair spilled over his brow; his eyes shimmered a hard green. “I cannot believe it,” Tristan said. “Christian?”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 18-01-08, 01:39 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 23
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Ciao

Chapter 18

To properly starch a cravat, place the linen smooth side down on a marble-top table. Heat is, of course, the crucial element. Without it, all would be a damp, wrinkled mess.
A Compleat Guide for
by Richard Robert Reeves

Reeves took Prudence’s arm and led her to one side. “This is his lordship’s long lost brother.”
Prudence could only stare in wonder. “He is… he was a highwayman.”
“Yes, a dangerous career, one we can only hope he will abandon.”
Prudence found herself nodding absently. She couldn’t seem to get her mind wrapped about that fact. And neither, from the look on his face, could Tristan.
Quietly, Prudence slipped aside, watching as the two brothers regarded each other, amazement and joy warring for expression. For an odd moment, she felt alone, outside.
It was where she belonged, she decided. This was not her home, not her family. Her family was her mother, who would be waiting to hear how the evening went.
Prudence wasn’t sure what she would say, but none of it had to do with what had occurred in the carriage.
The memory of that burned in her mind. The passion she’d felt, the love that even now warmed her in the chill evening—it was all real.
But that did not make it possible.
No, she would end this relationship gracefully. Easily. He need never know her feelings, especially as he did not share them.
Or did he? Her heart leaped at the thought. Was it possible Tristan cared for her? He had been very attentive lately and his reaction to the men at the dinner party had been quite odd, though she’d originally attributed that to his pride. But perhaps… perhaps it was something more.
But did that really resolve the issue? Did it change the fact that he was who he was? She tried to imagine him more settled. Yet all she could remember was his expression when he stared out at the sea, the bitter, intense longing.
What future could their relationship have if Tristan’s main wish was to leave, to sail the seas… away from her? She knew he could not do so because of his injuries. But that did not alter the fact that his heart was already somewhere else. She would not accept being second place in his life. If being with Phillip had taught her one thing, it was that a relationship only worked if both people involved were committed. To each other and their relationship.
She pulled her cloak tighter, watching his face in the light of the lantern. A cut marred his chin and his face was flushed from the cold and the fight.
He looked incredibly dear in that moment and it made Prudence’s heart ache.
Christian struggled to his feet, swaying slightly as he did so. Tristan was there instantly, his strong arm about his brother’s shoulders. It suddenly dawned on her that she had shot Tristan’s brother.
She pressed a shaking hand to her forehead. “Tristan, I did not mean to shoot your brother! I mean, I did, but had I known who he was—”
“Nonsense,” Christian said, flashing her a smile. “You were protecting Tristan. I am glad to see that he fell into such good hands.”
Prudence’s cheeks heated. “You are mistaken. Your brother and I are not—”
“Madam?” Reeves took her arm. “Do not feel badly about shooting Master Christian. The bullet barely grazed him.”
“But… I shot him dead on.”
Tristan grinned, lifting something in his hand. “You hit him squarely in the pocket watch.”
Prudence stared at the mangled watch in Tristan’s palm.
Christian laughed, then winced. “I shall be bloodied and bruised, but I will not die. Besides, you did nothing you should not have. Indeed, I salute you for your bravery, madam.”
He coughed a bit, groaning as he did so. Tristan called for John the coachman to come and assist him in getting his brother on his horse.
Prudence watched them, feeling more miserable by the moment.
“Madam?”
She looked up at Reeves. “Yes?”
“Shall I escort you home? His lordship may be a while. Master Christian wishes to return to his home and not the cottage.”
“Yes. Thank you. That would be very nice.”
Tristan returned to them, wincing with each limping step. “Prudence, I want to talk to you.”
Her heart tight, she managed a smile. “You need to be with your brother now. I will see you tomorrow.”
Tristan took her hand and pulled her close, oblivious to Reeves’s presence. “Do you promise?”
Prudence gently disentangled her hand. “Of course.”
He looked at her a moment, but nodded. “Reeves, please see Mrs. Thistlewaite home. Take the carriage; I shall take your horse.”
“Yes, my lord.”
Smiling, Tristan cupped Prudence’s cheek with a warm hand. “We will talk tomorrow.”
John the coachman asked a question from where he held Christian’s horse; something about the other highwayman. Tristan gave Prudence one last smile, then he was gone, limping off to help John awaken the huge thief.
“Are you ready, madam?”
She straightened. “Yes, I am.” She would go home to Mother and they’d work on their plan to start a school. Mother should hear from her friend in Scotland any day now, and perhaps that would get their endeavors off to a good start.
Yes. That was what she should be thinking about and not the earl next door. She was silent in the carriage on the ride home, wrapped in her own thoughts. Reeves made no effort to engage her attention, though he gave her a long look when he finally escorted her to the door.
Mother was waiting. Prudence brushed off the barrage of questions and hurried to her room, closing the door with a heartfelt sigh. Now, inside the silence of her bedchamber, Prudence threw herself on her bed and cried.

Tristan looked over his mug of ale at his brother. They’d been drinking since the doctor had left.
It had been a bit awkward, calling the doctor to attend his brother after the incident at the party, but it had to be done. Tristan was not about to lose his brother after finally finding him.
The doctor refused to look at Tristan, which was fine with everyone concerned. Still, though Tristan despised the man for flirting with Prudence, he was glad the competent physician took the time to make certain Christian was fine.
Tristan stared into his mug of ale. Prudence had looked at him rather oddly when she’d left. Rather sad, as if… he frowned. As if she meant to say goodbye.
He put the tankard back on the table.
“Tristan?”
He looked up to find Christian regarding him over the rim of his own drink.
Christian set down his own mug. “You’ve developed a dour disposition over the years.”
“You just found me at an ill time.”
Christian’s mouth flickered into a smile. “Not as ill as it was for me.”
Tristan managed a grin. “Perhaps not.” He lifted his mug. “I propose a toast.”
“To what?”
“To the women in our lives.”
“There is not enough ale in this tavern for such an endeavor.”
Tristan managed a painful smile. There had been women before Prudence. He just could not remember any of them. Not a one. His ale tasted suddenly bitter and he set it aside. “All these years and you are still a damn fool.”
Christian grinned, a wicked flicker of humor that made Tristan’s heart tighten.
Damn, but he had missed his brother. All the agony of those painful days and nights following their separation seemed far, far away.
Of course, there were some differences. This Christian was harder, sharper, with an edge beneath a seemingly charming veneer. Tristan could not forget the black-cloaked figure that had lunged across the road at him, the one who had held Prudence at sword point.
That still rankled. “You are fortunate you did not hurt anyone tonight.”
Christian didn’t pretend to misunderstand him. “You are speaking of the lady.”
“Yes.”
“A lovely woman. Is she yours?”
Tristan wished he could answer that. He grabbed the mug and took a drink.
“Ah,” Christian said.
“What do you mean by that?” Tristan snapped.
“Nothing. I only meant… she is lovely. And if she lives nearby—”
“She is a widow.” Tristan wasn’t sure why he’d added that, but it seemed important to tell Christian.
“She looked far too young to be a widow.”
“The light was poor. She is older than she looks.”
“Those are the best kind,” Christian said with a considering nod, not seeming to notice Tristan’s rising ire. “Not too young and a widow. They have enough experience to have lost that shy demeanor I find so annoying. And yet, if they are young enough, they still retain an attractiveness that can be just as enthralling.”
“We should discuss something else.”
“Why?”
“Because I don’t wish to discuss her with you.”
“Hm,” Christian said, his lips pursed thoughtfully. “Do you find her interesting?”
“She annoys the hell out of me.” That, at least, was truthful. When she wasn’t making him lust after her in a most distracting fashion, she was indeed inciting his ire. It was one of her greatest skills. “I went with her to a dinner party this evening. We were on our way back when you found us.”
“How delightful. Did they have dancing? I know the quadrille.”
“How would you know that?”
Christian smiled slyly, reminding Tristan of a million other sly smiles covering everything from putting frogs in their tutor’s bed to suggesting that they slip away from their mother’s watchful eye to play with the village boys.
But that had been far away and long ago. Now Tristan wondered who his brother really was. “There were moments this evening I thought you were determined to kill me.”
Christian’s gaze met his steadily. “I am not a murderer.”
“So Reeves would have me believe.”
“I have not killed anyone… yet.” A secret smile touched Christian’s face. “But there will come a day. I am certain of it.”
Tristan shrugged, moving his leg a bit to one side so that the back of the chair did not press against it. “I cannot make that claim. I’ve fought many sea battles and killed more men than I can count.”
Christian’s green eyes darkened. “Does it bother you?”
“A little. Some were fighting for their country, as was I. Those were more difficult.”
“I can imagine.” Christian raised his hand to garner the attention of the serving maid to his empty tankard, wincing as he did so.
Tristan frowned. “You should be in bed.”
“Nonsense. A mere flesh wound.”
“It was enough to knock you off of your feet.” Just knowing Prudence had been enough to knock Tristan off of his. Tristan raked a hand through his hair, wondering why he felt so hollow, so empty.
Christian’s eyes glowed with admiration. “You wield a sharp sword, my brother. It is not often I am bested.”
“I wasn’t besting anyone. I was struggling to outlast you and failing. Thank goodness Prudence found that pistol—why in the hell are you laughing?”
“Prudence? The lady’s name is Prudence?”
“Indeed it is.”
“That is amusing.”
It was indeed. “A less prudent woman I have yet to know.”
“She charged in not once, but twice, all in an effort to save you. And succeeded, too.” Christian eyed his brother a moment. “She seemed to think you quite worthwhile. But then, so do I. Tristan… I am glad to see you.”
The faintest hint of thickness touched Christian’s voice.
Tristan reached across the table and grasped Christian’s arm. “I never forgot you. Never. When I had to push you from that window—” He couldn’t finish.
Christian squeezed his brother’s arm so hard it hurt them both. Then, grinning sheepishly, he released Tristan and wiped his eyes with his sleeve. “Sand in my eyes,” he mumbled.
“Yes. Me, too.” Tristan cleared his throat. “Did you injure yourself when I pushed you? I always worried about that.”
“I thought I’d broken my arm, but it was just bruised. Tris, our good fortune is amazing. The late earl was a horrible father, but we have finally gained something from the connection.”
“I wonder.” Tristan slid his mug to the center of the table. “Did you know I was at Trafalgar with Nelson? It’s where I injured my leg.”
“So Reeves told me.”
“After the war, I was ordered to London to meet the king. Everyone in society wanted to meet me, as Nelson… Christian, he died in my arms.”
“I didn’t know that. I am sorry.”
“Yes. It was difficult. When I arrived in London, I was treated like a… like a…”
“A war hero?”
“No. Like a curiosity. They wanted to hear about Nelson’s death, but not about the man himself.” Disgust sat heavy on Tristan’s tongue. “They wanted tidbits of gore, hints of weakness, it was as if they wished to pick him to death even though he’d already died.” He met Christian’s gaze. “I never wish to go back. The title will mean nothing to me here. But the funds… That is another story. I need them to help my men.”
“You will get the funds.”
“I hope so, though if what Reeves has told me is true, the trustees are the most shallow, most self-important fops to walk the earth.”
“So? Show them a bit of silk and they will leave you be.”
“Silk is not so easy for me,” Tristan said grumpily. He eyed his brother for a moment. “You always did know how to dress, even as a child.”
“Both Mother and I liked pretty things.” Christian sighed. “I still dream of her, you know.”
“So do I.”
They were silent a moment. Christian leaned back in his chair, careful not to put any pressure on his side. A smile touched his mouth. “You know, I still cannot believe you are here.”
“Nor I.”
They sat a moment in silence, grinning foolishly at each other.
“Christian, I intend on using the funds for my men. What will you do with your portion?”
All levity left Christian’s face and he said in a quiet tone, “I will do the one thing I’ve wished to do since I was ten; find who was responsible for Mother’s imprisonment.” He paused, his green eyes almost luminous in the smoky tavern. “Tristan, I am close to discovering who betrayed Mother.”
Tristan put down his tankard. “Yes?”
“I must go to London. The answers are there.” Christian sighed. “I suppose Father did help us.”
“Twenty years too late.”
Christian caught the serving wench’s eye and winked. “More ale, love.”
She winked back and sashayed off, Christian watching her go with appreciation.
“A skirt chaser, eh?”
Christian pretended to be hurt. “I am not a ‘skirt chaser.’ ”
“No?”
“No. I am, however, a ‘skirt catcher.’ ”
Tristan shook his head. “You were never shy.”
“And you were never slow. I’ve loved women from the time I could appreciate them. The fascination never wanes.”
“It appears you have inherited some tendencies from our father after all.”
Christian’s smile faded. “Never say that again.”
Tristan grinned. “Make me.”
Christian’s eyes narrowed even as he smiled in delight. “Don’t tempt me.”
It was an old game, one they’d played countless times before, a right of passage for most males, Tristan supposed. Suddenly, his heart felt full. Had it not been for the nagging worry over Prudence’s farewell look, he would have been an incredibly happy man.
Christian tilted his head to one side. “Do you sail at all?”
“I cannot keep my balance. A captain who cannot keep his feet when the ship rolls is as useful as an oyster with a cart.”
“I like to eat oysters. I get them from the street vendors in London all of the time.”
“Wonderful. I am reduced to street vendors’ fare.”
Christian flashed a white smile. “It’s your job to develop into an ogre and my job to remind you that you are all too human.”
“Thank you. I don’t know how I lived without you all these years.”
“Poorly, from the sound of it.”
Tristan nodded, though he wondered if perhaps Christian was right. Tristan had been well fed. His house was snug and warm. He’d had the companionship of his men. And when the urge had demanded it, he’d been welcomed by the tavern wenches in town.
Had he more coin to assist the lads, he’d have had a perfect life. Except for one thing… Prudence.
All throughout his home now, there were little touches of Prudence here and there; the chair remained ridiculously close to the settee, the breakfast table was now a permanent fixture in his library, and Stevens had hung a special hook in the front closet for her cloak. Small things and yet they gave the place a sense of something. Of home, perhaps.
His heart tightened. He’d lived in many places. Been to many countries. And lain with many women. But none had the ability to make him feel that one thing— the warmth of home. He set his jaw. He’d had a home once. And it had been ripped from him when his mother had been arrested. The pain of it haunted him still. He did not need another “home.” He needed—
Hell, he didn’t know what he needed any more. At one time, he’d have sworn that being able to sail once more would have completed him. Now… now he was not so sure. His entire life felt empty, useless even. Damn it. What was wrong with him? Could it be… was it Prudence? Was the mere thought of never seeing her again making him feel so wretched?
A strange hollowness filled his chest, stretched his heart. She’d snuck into his life and changed it without him even realizing what had happened.
“Tristan?”
He looked up.
His brother had pulled his chair closer and now sat facing him. “Tristan, what ails you? You keep fading away as if something is on your mind.”
“Prudence.” The word hung between them.
Christian sighed. “You are smitten.”
“I am not. I just… I care for her.”
“You are smitten.”
“Damn it—”
“I can see the signs. You, my dearest brother, are in deep smit. Very deep smit, indeed.”
Tristan raked a hand through his hair. “I care for her, but—”
Christian leaned forward and suddenly, the merriment was lost from his eyes. “There are no buts when love is involved. Tristan, if you love her, you must do something about it.” He slowly stood, rubbing his chest and wincing as he did so. “Life is never certain. If you want the lady, then make her yours. Otherwise…” Christian shrugged. “She will leave and you will be left alone. Again.”
The surety of the words cut Tristan like a knife. But they also built his resolve. Christian was right; there was no reason to tarry. Tomorrow he would call on Prudence and set all of this straight. He grabbed his cane and hefted himself to his feet. “Thank you, Christian. I will do as you say.”
It was wonderful to have his brother back in his life. Now, all he needed to do was convince Prudence that she belonged there, as well.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 18-01-08, 01:41 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 24
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Exclamation

Chapter 19

In an emergency, no proper butler will turn from a course of action that might, under normal circumstances, be repugnant to a man of breeding and class. Extreme instances call for extreme measures.

A Compleat Guide for
by Richard Robert Reeves

Prudence blinked. “I beg your pardon. What did you say?”
Mrs. Fieldings sniffed. “I said ‘tis the captain—or the earl—or whatever he is. He’s here. In the sittin’ room.”
“But—but—” Prudence sat in her own bedchamber, before the mirror, a brush in one hand. She looked down at her nightrail. “He’s here now?”
Mrs. Fieldings crossed her arms. “The cat as chases the yarn best beware the hidden tangles.”
“l don’t care about cats and tangles. It’s only seven thirty in the morning!” Prudence dropped the brush and hurried to twist her hair into a neat knot at the back of her head. With the housekeeper’s help, Prudence was soon dressed and running down the stairs.
What could he want? Perhaps… a faint leap of hope lifted her heart. Perhaps he came to tell her that he loved her.
Her heart thundered at the barely whispered thought. What if he did? Would that mean that he’d given up his dream of going back to sea, of living a free and unfettered life? Could he be happy with such a decision?
Morning light streamed through the windows as Prudence opened the door to the sitting room.
Tristan turned from where he stood beside the fireplace, staring down into the flickering flames. He was dressed in one of the new coats Reeves had ordered for him, his hair neatly tied back, his riding boots so shiny they gleamed like a mirror.
He looked so handsome that Prudence’s step faltered ever so slightly, though she quickly hid it under a bright greeting. “Good morning, my lord. I trust you are feeling no ill effects from last night’s excitement?”
His gaze darkened on seeing her. “Prudence.”
She dipped a curtsy. “Good morning,” she repeated in her firmest tone, praying he would follow her lead and make this easier for both of them. Prudence took a chair by the fire and gestured to the opposite one. “Pray have a seat.”
He paused, his brows lowered as he looked at her.
“Please,” she repeated, a faint rush of desperation tinting her voice. She did not want to cry—would not cry.
Tristan took the seat, setting his cane to one side, his gaze never wavering. He appeared tired this morning, too. Only that and the cut on his chin proved last night’s events.
She touched her own chin. “You might have a scar there.”
“Scars are nothing new.”
Prudence nodded. “How is your arm?”
“Fine, fine. Prudence, we must—”
“And your brother?”
Christian’s expression softened. “I spent over an hour with him last night. I had missed him.”
A million emotions were hidden behind those words. Prudence’s throat tightened. “I am glad you found him.”
“Thank you. But that is not what I came to speak to you about. Last night, we did not have the time to discuss what happened between us. Prudence, I have made a decision. We must marry.”
Prudence didn’t think she was breathing. It certainly felt as if her heart had frozen in place. “Must?”
He straightened his shoulders as if the weight of the world pressed them down. “It is only right.”
She looked at him. There was nothing light or happy in his expression, just the grim determination of a man doing his duty.
Her heart sank. Duty. He merely felt guilty for— “No.”
Tristan scowled. “No?”
“No.” It was a pity love did not solve all problems.
Oh, it made them bearable, but only if both people loved equally.
“Damn it, why not?”
“I was married once. Phillip and I had love, respect, common interests, an understanding of each other— Tristan, we have none of those.”
His brows lowered. “We enjoy being together and—”
“We have passion and nothing more. That is not enough.” She drew a shaky breath and stood. He did the same, leaning on his cane, his brows low.
“It’s enough for me,” he said, his voice low. “I never before had any wish to marry. But now, I can think of no reason not to. Surely that is enough.”
“Is that all you can say?”
Tristan’s jaw worked. “I find your company entertaining.”
How lovely. She thought she would explode from her feelings and he thought she was “entertaining.” Tears welled in her eyes. “Tristan, you should know something. Two of the trustees were harmed by Phillip’s investments. When I left London, it was under a cloud of scandal. Phillip had already died, but the furor over the financial losses was still raging. Tristan, if those two members of the board—Lords Ware and Southerland—see us together, they will not be happy. They will demand you never see me again.”
She waited but after a moment, Tristan just shrugged. “We won’t tell them then. I shall say you’ve been my tutor. Once the funds are mine, I may do as I wish. It would serve them well if I did such a thing.”
She stiffened, her gaze meeting his. “I will not hide from those men. Not now, not ever.”
“I wasn’t suggesting you hide, just—” He rubbed a hand over his face as if struggling with the words.
Prudence didn’t know what to say. It was worse than she thought. He wished to keep their relationship a secret and then, when it no longer mattered, parade it forth like a beacon of rebellion. “I am flattered,” she managed to snap, unable to disguise the hurt.
His brow lowered, puzzlement on his face. “Prudence, I truly mean this.”
“I don’t believe that. Tristan Llevanth, I will not marry you. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.”
He blinked. “What?”
“You heard me. I want no part of such a farce. Now, if you don’t mind, I have things to do. Please do not return. We have nothing more to say to each other.” Heart thudding sickly, she turned on her heel and left, shutting the door behind her. As soon as the latch clicked, she picked up her skirts and ran up the stairs for her room, her feet flying. The tears began before she reached her room, but at least she was spared the embarrassment of weeping before the man she loved.

“Hmm,” Reeves said thoughtfully. He pursed his lips for a long moment, then shook his head. “I can think of no answer, my lord. I would suggest you forget about Mrs. Thistlewaite.”
Tristan blinked. “Forget about her?”
“Yes, my lord. It sounds as though Mrs. Thistlewaite does not care for you as you thought.” Reeves waved a hand. “I would forget about her and find another. With the earldom secured and the fortune in your pocket, you should have your pick of any woman around. In fact, you can have your pick of any woman in the country, I daresay.” Reeves’s blue gaze met Tristan’s. “Why settle for the widow? You can do far, far better.”
Tristan grit his teeth. “I do not wish for another.”
Reeves shrugged, then picked up the tray. “I would suggest you think it through a day or two and then decide. There really is no hurry, for as you told Mrs. Thistlewaite, you cannot claim her until after the trustees leave, anyway. Perhaps the doctor will be available to console her in the meantime.” The butler turned toward the door.
“Reeves.”
“Yes, my lord.”
“I did not mean to insult Prudence when I suggested we not tell the trustees.”
“No, my lord. I am certain you did not. But I cannot but think the words must have been rather… hurtful.”
Tristan rubbed his forehead. “I shall apologize to her. I—I wish her to be in my life.”
“May I ask why, my lord?”
Why? Because he could not imagine life without her? Because it seemed that his happiness was completely bound up in hers? Somehow the words would not come. Tristan looked over at the untouched breakfast table. “I do not like taking breakfast alone.”
Reeves followed Tristan’s gaze. “Indeed, my lord. It is quite unpleasant, having breakfast alone. It is a dilemma, my lord.”
“Damn it, I know that!”
“Yes, my lord. If you see Mrs. Thistlewaite and declare yourself to her now, then you risk losing the fortune. If you wait until after the trustees leave, then you risk making it seem as if you didn’t really care for her so much as you cared for the funds.”
“Exactly.”
“My lord?”
“Yes?”
“I am quite certain you will think of something.” The butler turned, and let himself out of the door.
“Bloody hell!” Tristan muttered. “What good is having a butler if they don’t have better answers than that?”
Tristan leaned back, staring into the fire, feeling completely lost and alone. Good God, he’d made such a muddle of it all. What was he to do now?

The clock ticked loudly in the library. Tristan didn’t notice. The breakfast table had been removed and a luncheon tray had arrived, followed several hours later by a dinner tray. Tristan had not touched either, instead preferring liquid sustenance in the form of his brandy.
Drinking would not solve his problems. He knew that. But it dulled his pain so he could think more clearly. He stood, stretching a bit and then fumbling for his cane. God, but he was stiff and sore from his adventure last night.
Wincing, he took his glass to the sideboard, grumbling when he found the brandy decanter empty. “Blast it all! Stevens!”
There was no answer.
Tristan cursed loudly, then went to the door and out into the hallway. “Damn you, Stevens! Where are you?”
Still no answer.
“Reeves!” Tristan bellowed.
Almost immediately a measured tread could be heard approaching. Reeves entered the hallway, pausing when he saw Tristan. “My lord?”
“I need more brandy, and Stevens is nowhere to be found.”
“He is in the kitchen with some of the men, fixing one of the table legs for the chef.” Reeves came forward and took the decanter. “Will there be anything else, my lord?”
Yes. The starched-up butler could fetch him Prudence. That would be nice. But it was also an impossibility. Tristan knew how stubborn Prudence was. If there was one thing a day and evening of deep thought had made him realize, it was that it would take a significant act to win her attention now that he had made such a mess of things. “Just fetch the damn brandy.”
“Yes, my lord.” Reeves bowed with dignity, then turned and walked down the hallway.
Tristan watched the butler leave, a faint feeling of guilt plaguing him. He was in a foul mood and he knew it. There had to be something he could do to prove himself to Prudence. He sighed and turned back to the library. He entered the room, coming to a halt within two steps. There, sitting by the fire, booted feet stretched out to the flames, was Christian.
He caught Tristan’s shocked expression and grinned. “Good evening, brother.”
Tristan looked at the terrace doors. “How in the hell did you get in here? Those doors were locked.”
“And I opened them.”
“How?”
Christian waved a hand. “I cannot tell you. It would break my oath to the brotherhood of highwaymen.”
Tristan limped to a chair near Christian. “A brotherhood of thieves. Lovely.” He sat heavily. “I would offer you some brandy, but I am out at the moment.”
Christian reached into his pocket and took out a flask. He reached over and took Tristan’s glass from a small table, unscrewed the top of the flask, and poured a generous amount into the cup. “Here. I daresay this is better than what you have, anyway.”
Tristan took a sip. The brandy was rich and smoky. “Where did you get this?”
“A benefit from being in the brotherhood,” Christian said, taking a long pull of the flask, before sighing with satisfaction. “There. ‘Tis damnably cold, you know.”
“Yes,” Tristan answered, his mind mulling over his situation with Prudence once again.
Silence flooded the room for a short time.
Finally, Christian sighed. “As cozy as this is I must ask why you sent for me?”
“I didn’t.”
“But I received a missive. It said you needed me.”
Tristan scowled. “Reeves and his damn interfering.”
Christian’s brows rose. “So you don’t need me?”
“I can handle my own problems.”
“Hm.” Christian’s gaze flickered over Tristan’s rather mussed clothing. “What problems are we talking about?”
“Prudence.”
“Ah.” Christian reached over and took Tristan’s empty glass. “I fear I can be of little help there. But I can, at least, share your misery.” He poured some more brandy into the glass and handed it back to Tristan. “What happened?”
“I made a mull of it. I asked her to marry me.”
“Good God! I didn’t know it was so serious.”
“Well, it is. Or so I thought. But when I asked her to marry me, she refused.”
“Did she tell you why she said no?”
“I don’t think so.”
“She didn’t say a word? Not a hint? Nothing at all?”
Tristan’s face heated. “No. I told her I wished to marry her, but not until the trustees had left.”
Christian picked up the flask and replaced the lid.
“What are you doing?”
“I do not share my brandy with fools.”
“She agreed with me! She said herself that the trustees would not approve of the marriage. Her husband died amid some scandal and she left London in a hotbed of rumor. Some of the trustees were involved and they were not kind to her.”
“ ‘Kind’ is not a word I’d apply to Father’s friends. What did you reply to all of this?”
“That we didn’t have to tell the trustees anything. We could keep it secret.”
“Good God!” Christian put the flask on the floor on the far side, away from Tristan. “I will never bring you another dram for the rest of your life.”
“Then don’t!” Tristan snarled.
“Did you at least mention to her that you loved her? That you could not live another day without her? That the stars ride in her eyes, and the silky wind is blessed by the tumble of her hair?”
Tristan scowled. “That is nonsense.”
“It is poetry,” Christian said smugly. “Women love it.”
“I didn’t get the chance to say much of anything to Prudence, though if I had said that, she would have laughed in my face and then thrown me out, rather than simply thrown me out.”
Christian shook his head sadly. “You, my own brother! To be so foolish in the ways of women.”
“I don’t know why my actions were so horrid! She knows I must care for her to ask to marry her. Why else would I do it?”
“Tristan, put yourself in her slippers a moment. Here comes a man to ask you to marry him. But instead of telling you he loves you, he explains that while he wishes to marry you, he cannot just yet because he fears retribution from the very men who laughed her out of London. Therefore, if she doesn’t mind, he’ll just keep her in the closet until the trustees leave. Then, once there is no price to pay, no fury to face, he will bring her out, dust her off, and plan a marriage.”
Tristan sighed. “You make it sound much worse than it was.”
Christian raised his brows.
Tristan gulped his brandy. “I didn’t mean it to sound so poorly. I just thought I could win the fortune and still have Prudence. She seems to think I will regret marrying her. I won’t of course, but she thinks it’s so.”
“That’s because you didn’t tell her you loved her, you ass.” Christian tilted his head to one side, regarding his brother through narrowed eyes. “You do love her, don’t you?” he asked quietly.
“Yes.” The word rushed through Tristan’s lips as if they’d been just waiting for such a question. An odd pressure tightened his chest. “I love her madly. I once thought I would never again find happiness without the sea. But now that I’ve known Prudence… Christian, something has changed. I will always miss not being able to sail, but if I had the sea and not Prudence, it would not satisfy me. But if I had Prudence, but not the sea…” Tristan shrugged. “I would be the happiest man alive.”
“Why did you not tell her that?”
“Because I didn’t think it would matter. I thought I would marry her and then let her know how I felt.”
Christian sighed. “Men!”
“Hold it right there. You are a man.”
“Yes, but I am exceptional. Unlike you, who have spent your entire life at sea with a group of male companions, I have surrounded myself with females. It has opened my eyes to many things.”
Tristan scowled. “I worry about you sometimes.”
“You are lucky I am here. We must put our minds together and find a way out of this fix.”
“I wish we could. Christian, if I declare myself to her now, I will lose the funds for the men. If I don’t, she won’t ever truly believe I care more for her than the money, which I do. Without her, I don’t want the funds.”
“This is a quandary then.” Christian frowned. “First things first. You must see her and apologize.”
“I already tried.”
“Do it again. And again. And again. Eventually she will see you.”
“Only to tell me nay. She is not the type of woman to forgive lightly. I vow but I did not mean to insult her, though…I can see where it did sound ill. Horrid, even.”
Christian nodded. “Even as a child, you were never very good at expressing yourself.”
Tristan gave his brother a flat stare. “Thank you.”
Christian waved a hand. “It’s what I’m here for. In my life, women are quite different from your Prudence. The bad ones won’t leave and the good ones won’t stay. Usually because of that… what is it called? Ah yes. The need for ‘steady employment.’ Really! Don’t they know I am the son of an earl? Steady employment, indeed.”
Tristan smiled absently. “If you do not enjoy being a viscount, you could always try your hand at life on the stage. You’ve always been—” A distant thought itched. He sat a little straighter. Was there a way to show Prudence how much he loved her? “I wonder…”
“What?” Christian asked absently, retrieving his flask and taking a sip.
Tristan’s mind rang with sudden clarity. A thought began to form, a plan of such scope—could he?
He put down his glass. He needed to think clearly. Very clearly, if this was to work. Slowly, he looked over at his brother. “Christian?” The first real smile of the evening touched his lips. “I need your help. I know just what must be done.”
Christian paused, the flask halfway to his lips. “Do as you will, oh Captain Brother. I am yours to command. Just know this: If your plan does not work, I claim the right to pursue the lovely widow on my own.”
Tristan’s smile faded. “Not while I’m alive. Now stop your posturing, you scurvy cod. We’ve work to do.”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 18-01-08, 01:42 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 25
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Dong

Chapter 20

I have often heard it said that “man does not live by bread alone.” I find myself in full agreement. After all, what is bread without a little wine?
A Compleat Guide for
by Richard Robert Reeves

Prudence threw back the covers and kicked impatiently at the sheets. She hadn’t spoken to Tristan in an entire week. Though he came every day and asked to speak to her, she refused to see him. Which was a very good thing, she told herself repeatedly, as it allowed her time to pace obsessively and mull Tristan’s last words over and over and over.
When she was not pacing, she was either avoiding Mother’s regretful looks and deep sighs, or lying in bed, pretending to sleep. Like now.
“They will consign me to bedlam if I don’t stop this,” she told the chilly air in her bedchamber.
Sighing, she rose and wrapped a shawl about her shoulders, slid her feet back into her shoes, and walked aimlessly to the window. It was actually frightfully early to be in bed. But four hours of listening to Mother wonder aloud yet again why the earl had called today and why her daughter would not receive him had proven too much for Prudence to bear.
Sleep was, of course, an impossibility. And not just because of the early hour. She didn’t think she’d slept more than two hours at a time since the last time she’d seen Tristan.
She leaned against the window frame and pulled the curtain open, then looked out, resting her elbows on the sill. The sun had already set on the horizon, the tree branches etched in dim relief against the moon-flooded sky.
Restless, she hugged herself, pressing her forehead to the glass and stared sightlessly out the window.
How was Tristan? The trustees were to have visited today. Prudence hoped he’d remembered his manners, how to address each of the trustees, how to greet them in his library—all the things that would mark him as a gentleman in the trustees’ rather shallow books.
Of course, they would never see the real Tristan, the one who cared about his men, though he barked at them constantly. The one whose eyes darkened with pain when he spoke of his mother. The one who’d looked at her with so much tenderness…
She moved restlessly. What was she doing, thinking of Tristan? There was no future in it, she told herself miserably. He’d asked her to marry him out of a sense of duty and nothing else. Worse, if the trustees discovered their connection, they could well cut off his income.
She sighed, huddling beneath her shawl. She hadn’t lit any lamps, and all about her was black and still, silent except for the tick of the ormolu clock that rested on the mantel.
The thin sliver of moonlight illuminated the garden below, and she rested her head against the window frame, absently noting the sway of the plants in the night breeze. As she watched, the gate slowly opened…
She blinked. But it was still there, a solitary figure in a cloak backing through the gate, pulling… something tethered on a rope. She leaned forward, squinting against the dark and… she gasped. Tied to the end of the rope was a sheep!
Prudence whirled and grabbed her morning gown from the wardrobe. She changed and ran from her room, passing Mrs. Fieldings on the stairs.
“Where are ye goin’?” the housekeeper asked, her shriveled face pulled into a look of suspicion.
“Someone is in the garden!”
The housekeeper followed. “I just brushed yer cloak. ‘Tis on the peg by the front door.”
Prudence reached the bottom stair. “I don’t need a cloak. I am going to find out once and for all who is putting that sheep into our garden!”
“ ‘Tis a wise man as heeds the hiss of the snake.”
“Yes, well, this snake is wearing a cloak.”
Mrs. Fieldings sniffed. “No thief I know would wear a cloak.”
Prudence stopped by the front door and grabbed her cloak, tossing her shawl to a side table. “Not only was the snake wearing a cloak, but it appeared to be trimmed.”
That gave Mrs. Fieldings pause. She eyed Prudence warily. “Did ye say it was trimmed? How?”
“I only saw it from the upper window for a few seconds, but it looked as if there was trim around the hood—” Prudence’s gaze locked onto the hooks by the door. Mother’s cloak was gone. The red one. The one trimmed in ermine.
Prudence turned to look at Mrs. Fieldings, who had turned a curious shade of red. “Do you know anything about this?”
The housekeeper crossed her arms over her gaunt breast. “A prudent man keeps his knowledge under lock and key, least it fall to the wayside in disarray.”
Homilies. Prudence didn’t have time for homilies. “I suppose I shall just have to find out for myself.” She reached for the doorknob, but Mrs. Fieldings was quicker.
The housekeeper planted herself against the door, arms crossed, chin in the air. “Now, Madam. Better to control your temper than let fly an arrow of harm.”
“Move.”
“The heart of the angry shall—”
“Mrs. Fieldings, do you see my fist? The one inside my glove?”
The woman’s eyes widened. “Are you threatening me?”
Prudence leaned forward. “Yes.”
That seemed to flummox the housekeeper completely. While she was busy searching for a proper homily, Prudence reached past the woman and pulled the door open. The panel hit Mrs. Fieldings soundly in the rump, causing her to gasp and move quickly out of the way. “Well, I never!” she said, huffing as she went.
“I daresay you haven’t, which is a great pity.” Prudence ignored the housekeeper’s shocked protests and entered into the garden.
Walking quietly, Prudence made her way to the gate and crossed her arms. “Good evening, Mother.”
Mother whirled, gasping. On seeing Prudence, she sagged against the garden gate, one hand to her chest, the other still tightly wound about a rope. “Goodness! You frightened me to death!”
“I frightened you? I’m not the one skulking around, leading sheep into the garden!”
Mother glanced over her shoulder. The rope in her hand led to a very fat, very slow-moving, and very disinterested sheep.
“I recognize that sheep,” Prudence said.
The sheep seemed to realize she was the topic of discussion, for she opened her mouth, revealing large, yellowed teeth, and baa’d loudly.
Prudence shook her head. “Mother, you were the one who put the captain’s sheep in our garden all this time. Why would you do such a thing?”
Mother made a helpless gesture. “I know this looks bad, but I didn’t— That is to say, I never thought— I really didn’t want—”
Prudence held up a hand. “We are going inside before we freeze to death. Maybe you can make a coherent sentence then.”
“Yes, but I… I have to feed Daffodil first.”
Prudence raised her brows. “Daffodil?”
“Our sheep. I mean, the earl’s sheep.” Mother had the grace to look slightly shamefaced. “I always feed her a little when she arrives. It’s the only way I can get her to follow me. Usually I just open the gate and she trots in. But for some reason, she has been very, very difficult tonight.” Mother frowned at the sheep that now stood munching on the shrubbery beside the gate. “I wonder if she’s feeling quite the thing. I have not brought her to visit lately, and she has very tender feelings.”
“Sheep do not have feelings.”
Mother looked affronted. “They do, too!”
“Oh for the love of—I cannot believe you!” Prudence shook her head. “I cannot wait to hear your explanation for all of this. Feed your silly sheep and come inside. I’ll have Mrs. Fieldings make us some tea.” With that, Prudence returned to the house, where she found the housekeeper standing glumly in the hallway.
“I warned the missus, I did! ‘Secrets are best kept in the open.’ That’s what I told her all along.”
“You knew Mother was putting the sheep in our garden.”
“Not at first. She was too sly for me then. But the third time, I noticed her cloak was damp and I knew she’d been out.” Mrs. Fieldings smiled with a certain moribund satisfaction. “Didn’t take me long to figure out which way the wind blew then.”
“Mrs. Fieldings, would you please make some tea. Mother and I must talk.”
“It’s already on. I figured ye’d be wanting some tea to calm yer nerves. I started up the fire in the sittin’ room, too, I did. Ye can have yer talk in there, just no yellin’. As soon as yer tea is done, I’m goin’ back to bed.”
With that unsympathetic caveat, Mrs. Fieldings trudged back to the kitchen. Prudence made her way into the sitting room. Her own mother… How could she have done it?
When Prudence thought of all the times she’d stormed over to the captain’s and berated him about his sheep, it was almost more than she could stand. Goodness, what he must have thought of her then. What he must think of her now… She closed her eyes, tears beginning to well.
Mother entered the room, taking off her cloak as she did so. The hem of her gown was damp and bits of straw clung to one of her sleeves. “Prudence, I—I don’t know what to say.”
“Just explain why you went to such trouble.”
Mother wrung her hands. “Oh dear! Do not look at me like that! I didn’t mean any harm. Indeed, I had the best of intentions. I really did!”
“You misled me.”
“Well… a little. I didn’t lure Daffodil through the fence the first time. She appeared on her own.”
Prudence raised her brows.
“Do not look at me as if you think I am lying! I am telling the truth!” Mother took Prudence’s hand and led her to the settee. “Prudence, you must understand.”
“I think I do.”
“No, you don’t.” Mother sat, then pulled Prudence down beside her. “When we moved here, it dawned on me that while this was indeed a new beginning for me, for you it was… well, it was an exile of a sort.”
“I was perfectly happy with my lot.” Or she had been until she’d discovered the magic of being in Tristan’s arms. Arms she’d never again feel clasped about her. A horrid lump grew in her throat.
“Prudence,” Mother said gently, patting her hand, “I knew we were moving to an out-of-the-way place, but when we arrived, it was so desolate. So isolated. It’s not what I wanted for you. But then I saw the earl—well, he wasn’t an earl then, but he seemed so perfect for you.”
“Perfect? He was rude and arrogant and refused to have anything to do with us!”
“Except for that, he was perfect,” Mother amended hastily. “He is not an easy man, is he? But I knew he had to be quite kind to allow all of those wounded sailors into his home. There is something honorable and brave about him. I don’t know what it is, but…” Mother shrugged helplessly.
Prudence knew what it was that made Tristan the one and only person you wanted to be with when things were wretched; it was his heart. He was steadfast and loving, capable of immeasurable caring. And she loved him dearly.
Mother sighed. “I am so sorry to mislead you about the sheep. But I had to do something. The earl is stubborn and wouldn’t visit us. But he was the only man around, except for the doctor, who would not do for you at all—”
“I thought you liked the doctor.”
“Oh, I do. But he is far too weak for you. You’d monopolize the relationship within the hour and that would be that.”
“Mother!”
Mother pinkened. “Well, it’s true. You have a good bit of me in you, and that was ever my problem. Although, to be honest, I was never as outspoken as you, but that is only because I was raised so differently.”
“I am not sure if you’re complimenting me or disparaging me.”
“It is a compliment. Only, it does not lead to a providential marriage unless your partner is of equal strength.”
Prudence had to smile a little at that. “Like Father.”
“Exactly. Thank goodness he was who he was, or the marriage would have been a disaster.” Mother’s eyes grew misty. “I still miss him, you know.”
Prudence nodded. “Sometimes, I think of Phillip, but… Mother, it doesn’t matter. None of this matters. Tristan— I mean, the earl—and I are no longer speaking.”
“That was another thing that made me certain I’d done the right thing, when the captain became an earl! What could have been more perfect then?”
“Mother, I don’t care if he’s an earl.”
“I do. You deserve an earl. Even a duke.” Mother considered this a moment. “I could even see you with a prince, although having witnessed one prince up close when I was in my youth and being thoroughly disgusted—some are monstrously fat—I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.”
Prudence managed a pained sigh. “Thank you for that, at least. I cannot believe you were so secretive. I never knew you to be so.”
“I never had any reason to be before. It is amazing what you will do for your children. I felt badly at first, though poor Daffodil is usually quite docile. All I had to do was tuck a bit of apple into my pocket and let her smell it. She’ll follow you for miles for just one bite, greedy creature.”
Prudence squeezed Mother’s hand. “I am certain Daffodil is a good sheep. Mother, about the earl—our relationship will never be more than it is now. Please, promise me, no more tricks.”
Mother sniffed. “You may have given up on him, but I have not.”
“Mother, one of the trustees is Lord Ware.”
Mother paled. “The one who told everyone you—” Mother’s lips clamped into a white line. After a moment of visible struggle, she said in a clipped voice, “I have a few choice words to tell that man.”
“I am certain he didn’t mean what he said. He lost almost three hundred thousand pounds to Phillips’s scheme and was angry. Still, he would never countenance a connection between Tristan and myself.”
“What does the earl have to say about that?”
“Nothing. I will not let him.”
“Oh, Prudence! You shouldn’t—”
The door opened and Mrs. Fieldings came in with their tea. She plopped the tray on the table. “Well, didn’t hear no screamin’. I suppose ye got things settled, eh?”
Mother smiled gratefully. “Almost. Thank you so much for the tea. We need something warm—”
A knock sounded on the outside door. Prudence and Mother exchanged surprised glances.
“Who’d come at this hour of the night?” muttered Mrs. Fieldings, leaving the room. “No good Christian would come to visit after dark.”
The knock sounded again. Mother stood and crossed to the window. She squinted down into the night, trying to see the front door. “Oh, I can’t see a thing!”
“Mother, come and sit down. Mrs. Fieldings has already let our visitor in. I can hear him in the hallway.” It was not Tristan’s deep voice, but another familiar one. Prudence bit her lip as the door opened.
Mrs. Fieldings entered the room, her usual sour expression gone. Reeves followed closely, smiling a little when the housekeeper announced in a rather impressed voice, “Mr. Reeves to see Mrs. Thistlewaite.”
Reeves bowed. “His lordship sent me. He wishes your attendance at his cottage.”
“Wonderful!” Mother said, clasping her hands together. She turned to her daughter. “Prudence, go and get your cloak—”
“I am not going anywhere.”
Reeves nodded gravely. “Madam, his lordship has made me privy to your disagreement. May I say I am gravely disappointed in him, as he is in himself.”
“I don’t ever want to see him again.”
“Madam, I cannot blame you, but I don’t think you understand. I was sent to fetch you, no matter what it takes.”
Mother gave an excited hop. Reeves turned his head in her direction, his brows raised inquiringly.
Mother colored and smoothed her hair. “Oh dear, but the fire gets a bit warm. I’ll just stand over here.” She moved to the other side of the fire, slightly behind the butler.
Reeves bowed, then turned back to Prudence. “Madam? It would mean a lot to his lordship if you would attend him.”
Prudence wished her heart would stop galloping so. “Did he tell you that?”
“Yes, madam. He was most fervent.”
Fervent. That sounded rather nice. From behind Reeves, Mother waved her hands wildly, gesturing from Prudence to the door, urging her to go. Prudence sent her a quick frown, then said to Reeves, “Did his lordship say why he wished to speak to me?”
From her vantage point behind Reeves, Mother leaned forward, agog.
Reeves nodded. “The trustees, madam. They arrived today. I believe his lordship wishes to tell you the outcome himself, as well as pay you for your efforts.”
Prudence’s’ shoulders slumped. He wished to pay her. The impersonality of it all weighed her down. “I see. Please thank him for me, but I believe it would be better if his lordship just sent his payment here. I don’t wish to see him.”
“Oh!”
Mother’s cry of outrage made both Reeves and Prudence turn.
“Prudence, I have had enough.”
Prudence blinked at her mother’s stern tone. “What—”
“Take your cloak and go with Reeves.”
“But I don’t wish—”
“This is not for you, but for me. Prudence, I know you and the earl had a disagreement, but it is rather selfish of you to let such a paltry thing stand in the way of such a kind invitation.”
Prudence flushed. “It is neither paltry nor selfish.”
“I am dying to know how the visit with the trustees went. If you do not go, it will be a week before we find out. I simply cannot wait that long. So fetch your cloak and go with Mr. Reeves.”
Prudence was on her feet without realizing it. “Mother! I already went to bed once this evening! At least I had until you brought that sheep into the garden.”
“You were not sleeping. You were merely lying abed, tossing and turning. Don’t pretend otherwise.” She crossed the room to her daughter’s side, placed her hands on Prudence’s shoulders and turned her toward the door. “At least this will get you out of the house and stop your moping about.”
Prudence’s cheeks pinkened. “Mother, I don’t think I want to—”
“Nonsense. Of course you do.”
“But—”
“Prudence.” Mother looked directly into her eyes. “If you don’t go, you will spend the rest of your life wondering.”
“Mrs. Crumpton,” Reeves said softly. “His lordship requested your attendance as well.”
Mother exploded into a wreath of smiles. “Well! There you go! Prudence, it looks as if we have an invitation to the earl’s cottage!” Before Prudence could protest again, Mother was off to the front entryway to collect their cloaks.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÇáÑÏ Úáì ÇáãæÇÖíÚ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÑÝÇÞ ãáÝÇÊ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÊÚÏíá ãÔÇÑßÇÊß

BB code is ãÊÇÍÉ