áãÔÇßá ÇáÊÓÌíá æÏÎæá ÇáãäÊÏì íÑÌì ãÑÇÓáÊäÇ Úáì ÇáÇíãíá liilasvb3@gmail.com

ÇáÚæÏÉ   ãäÊÏíÇÊ áíáÇÓ > ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ æÇáãæÇÖíÚ ÇáÞÏíãÉ > ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇáÊÓÌíá

ÈÍË ÈÔÈßÉ áíáÇÓ ÇáËÞÇÝíÉ

ÇáÇÑÔíÝ íÍÊæí Úáì ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÏíãÉ Çæ ãæÇÖíÚ ãßÑÑÉ Çæ ãÍÊæì ÑæÇÈØ ÛíÑ ÚÇãáÉ áÞÏãåÇ

äÓÎ ÇáÑÇÈØ
äÓÎ ááãäÊÏíÇÊ

LinkBack (6) ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ ÇäæÇÚ ÚÑÖ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÞÏíã 16-11-07, 01:38 PM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 21
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Jul 2007
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 33118
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 270
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: Mai Ziyada ÚÖæ Úáì ØÑíÞ ÇáÇÈÏÇÚMai Ziyada ÚÖæ Úáì ØÑíÞ ÇáÇÈÏÇÚ
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 152

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSudan

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
Mai Ziyada ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : liilas676 ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Come on Habbobe!! you promised to finish it!! it would be great if you uploaded all three of them as books

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ Mai Ziyada  
ÞÏíã 16-11-07, 03:18 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 22
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Aug 2007
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 35696
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 4,609
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: liilas676 ÚÖæ áå ÚÏÏ áÇÈÇÓ Èå ãä ÇáäÞÇØliilas676 ÚÖæ áå ÚÏÏ áÇÈÇÓ Èå ãä ÇáäÞÇØ
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 128

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏEgypt

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
liilas676 ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

CHAPTER TEN
FOR the next few weeks, Sam was blissfully happy.
Demetrios was an incredible lover. She’d never known a man quite like him. He was fun, he was exciting, he was thoughtful and caring. Just when she thought she’d figured him out, he’d surprise her. He stopped the car to buy her a single rose from a street vendor; he spirited her to Florence for a weekend and bought her a tiny gold charm in the shape of a kitten with emerald eyes because, he said, it reminded him of her. Like her, he got as much pleasure out of spending the evening home as he did from going out.
And when they were alone and in each other’s arms, he made her forget the world and everything in it.
They never talked about the future.
That should have been fine. Sam had always liked living that way. There was a kick in not knowing what you’d be doing a month from now, whether you’d be working in a hatched hut or in a suite at the Georges V. Life wasn’t supposed to be a road map you could read. Living from day to day was far more exciting than having a master plan.
If you knew too much about the future, things would grow dull.
That was what Sam had always thought. Now, she dis covered that it wasn’t true.
She loved knowing she’d go to sleep in Demetrios’s arms and wake to his kisses. She adored the sweet predictability of knowing they’d have their first cups of coffee while he shaved and she put on her makeup, that at night they’d talk over the day’s events, that curling up together to read or watch a movie on the VCR made her every bit as *******

as going out to a party. More *******, maybe, because being alone with him was wonderful.
The only danger was her fear that one of those nights she’d turn to him and blurt out the truth, that she loved him more each day.
Sam knew she must never do anything so foolish.
Demetrios had been brutally honest. He’d told her how he felt about love and what he expected of her, and those expectations surely didn’t include finding himself with a lovestruck woman on his hands. There was a world of difference between being a man’s lover and his beloved.
Or in being his mistress.
The funny thing was that she’d never thought of herself as his mistress until one night, when he took her to the opening of a new restaurant.
“I don’t really want to go,” he said, as they drove along a narrow, twisting road on the rocky hillside overlooking Athens, “but an old friend owns the place. We won’t stay long, sweetheart.”
“Don’t be silly,” Sam said. “We’ll stay as long as you like. It’ll be fun.”
It was, until Demetrios stepped away for a moment and a stunning blonde wearing a dress that left nothing to the imagination wandered up to Sam.
“How nice to finally get a look at you,” she’d said in a throaty purr.
Sam had offered a puzzled smile. “Sorry?”
“Some of us have been wondering what you look like,” the blonde said. “You are Demetrios’s new mistress, aren’t
you?” -
Demetrios had come back just then, put his arm around Sam’s waist, introduced her to the blonde in a way that made it clear, at least, that there’d never been anything between them. The blonde wandered off and Sam got through the evening even though she felt as if everyone was watching her and talking about her. She’d never told Demetrios
what had happened, but she couldn’t forget it—and yet, it was true. That was what she was, wasn’t she? His mistress?
She lived with him. He paid for the roof over her head and the food she ate; he wanted to do more than that, to buy her clothes and jewels. She wouldn’t let him, but that didn’t change the facts. She was his mistress.
The word itself had an old-fashioned feel to it, probably a certain sexy charm in the circles in which he moved. It had a less exalted meaning in Sam’s world. Well, so what? She’d never given a damn for convention. People could call her what they wished. What did words matter, when two people belonged together?
A lot, or so it seemed.
The answer she’d come up with, that all that counted was that she belonged with Demetrios and he belonged with her, began to seem more and more facile as the four, months she’d agreed to work for him rushed towards their inevitable conclusion. Mistresses, by definition, lived uncertain lives. A mistress never knew where she’d be or what man she’d be with next year or even next month, and Sam knew exactly where she wanted to be. She’d found a man, the man, who was the other half of her.
Sometimes, in the late hours of the night, she’d lie in his arms after they made love and think how amazing it was that she’d never even known she was searching for him. ..and wonder when she was going to lose him. The role of mistress came with a beginning and an end. You didn’t have to be a genius to understand that—and if she was foolish enough to harbor any doubts, she had only to recall how bluntly Demetrios had told her he’d had other mistresses before her.
She might be the only one he’d ever asked to live with him, but that didn’t change the basics. There had been women before her; there would be women after her. It was a simple fact of life—and the more she tried not to dwell on it, the more she did.
She began noticing a change in him, too. Was it her imagination, or was he treating her differently? Was he more formal? More removed? Did he spend more time in his study at night and less with her?
As the days passed, she could hardly think about anything else. It didn’t help that she wasn’t feeling well. A nasty flu had gone around Piraeus and Athens; for weeks, people had coughed and sneezed and been nauseous. Everyone was over it—everyone but Sam.
Her body felt heavy; she was tired all the time. Her stomach dId a delicate dance, especially in the mornings. Or maybe it wasn’t flu. Maybe she was already reacting to what was going to happen in less than two weeks, when her term of employment ended.
She was going to leave Greece, and Demetrios. Her job was ending, and so would their affair.
By the last week of her contract, all the parties had agreed to the deal in principle. The lawyers would step in now and put things in language that would be binding. On Friday, Sam sat in the conference room at Karas Lines, listening to the buzz of conversation around her, trying to concentrate on her job—and failing miserably.
For days, she’d waited for Demetrios to talk about what would happen when the contracts were signed. In moments of painful honesty, she knew that she’d waited for him to ask her to stay with him.
He hadn’t.
For the thousandth time, she told herself it was for the best. It eliminated lots of problems. She couldn’t have said yes, even if he’d asked her. She had a life in the States. She had a career. She couldn’t just give it all up and go on being his mistress—could she?
Sam looked down at her notepad, stared blindly at the scribbled words. How could she, of all women, have been reduced to this? She was waiting for a man to ask her a question that would decide her future. No. This was impossible. She couldn’t have put herself in such a humiliating position.
“...doesn’t seem possible, does it?”
She blinked, looked up. The Italian translator was leaning in close, obviously waiting for an answer to whatever question she’d asked. The formal meeting had ended, though Sam had never noticed. Demetrios and the others had risen from their chairs; they stood in a loose circle, the Frenchman and the Italian chatting...
The hair rose on the back of her neck. Demetrios was staring at her, his eyes as cold as she’d ever seen them.
Sam forced herself to look at her Italian counterpart. “Sorry,” she said, “I missed that.”
“I said it seems hard to believe this is almost over and I’ll be in Rome in a few days.” The woman frowned. “Samantha? Are you all right?”
Did her despair show on her face? That would be the ultimate humiliation.
“I’m fine,” Sam said quickly, “just a little tired.” She reached for her briefcase, opened it and began putting her pads and pencils away. “I think I’m coming down with that flu that was going around.”
“Better late than never,” the woman said, smiling, “al though ‘never’ is probably the best time to come down with a bug. Here’s hoping you’re over it before you fly home.” She paused. “Or were you planning to stay on for a while?”
The other translator’s smile was bland but her eyes were bright with questions. It was easy to see what she was thinking. For months, Demetrios had given Sam private little smiles. Those smiles had all but vanished. Sam had been painfully aware of it but she hadn’t considered the others might have noticed. Now she knew that they had, that they might even have whispered about it behind her back.
She jammed another few pieces of paper into the brief case and snapped the clasp shut. “I’m not sure,” she said briskly. “I’m still trying to decide what to do next.”
Damn you, Demetrios, she thought. Damn you for doing this to me!
And yet, she couldn’t blame it all on him. If he held such
power over her, she’d given it to him. She’d never been stupid enough to put herself in a man’s hands before. She’d run her own life, made her own rules, and gone from that to all but groveling to a man who hardly noticed her any more, except in bed—and not even there lately.
When had that happened? When had he stopped turning to her the last thing at night and the first thing in the morning? He still made love to her but it wasn’t the same. She could feel him holding something back and it hurt, so much so that she felt herself holding back, too.
She didn’t come up behind him when he was shaving anymore, slip her arms around him and touch him the way she once had. In the beginning, she’d been completely uninhibited with him. Not anymore. She’d turn into his arms, reach for him—and wonder, suddenly, if he were only accomniodating her, if his response to her was only of the body and not of the heart.
What heart? That part of his anatomy had never been involved in what went on between them.
Sam felt herself tremble with barely suppressed anger. At Demetrios. At herself. She wanted to fly across the room and beat her fists against his chest. Even if she did, what would be the point? Nothing would change. He didn’t love her. He never had and he never would.
She shoved back her chair and rose to her feet. Her vision blurred; the room grayed. She put out a hand, clasped the table edge for support.
“Mademoiselle? Are you ill?”
Sam took a shuddering breath. “I’m okay.” She shook her head, cleared her vision and smiled shakily at the Frenchman. “Well, maybe not. I seem to be coming down with the flu.”
“So late in the season?” The Frenchman’s eyes narrowed. “Why not let me help you to that little settee in Monsieur Karas’s private office? You can lie down, put your feet up—”
“If Miss Brewster needs help,” Demetrios said, “I will
provide it.” Hadn’t he made the same kind of ridiculous statement once before? he thought furiously, as he shouldered past the Frenchman and put his arm around Sam’s waist. Why did he keep making a spectacle of himself over this woman? “Thank you for your assistance,” he said, in a tone that made it obvious that wasn’t what he meant at all. “I am here now.”
The Frenchman shot Sam a sympathetic look. “But of course. Mademoiselle, I hope you feel better soon.”
Sam waited until the room cleared. Then she pulled loose of Demetrios’s embrace and turned her flushed face up to his.
“That was incredibly rude!”
“What happened to you? Are you ill?”
“I’m getting the flu. He was only trying to help me.”
“Help you?” Demetrios snorted. “The man has spent four months trying to get you into bed.”
“That’s so ridiculous it doesn’t deserve a response.”
“Do you think our relationship grants you the right to treat me with disrespect? To let another man put his hands on you while I watch?”
Sam stared at him. Then she grabbed her briefcase and strode towards the door.
“Samantha? Samantha! Come back here. I did not say you could leave!”
She didn’t stop. Demetrios cursed and went after her as she disappeared down the hall. He could feel the adrenaline coursing through his veins like a river in flood. He’d been angry with her for days. Angry? Hell, he’d been furious. How dare she treat him as she’d been doing? The silence. The moodiness. The way she got into bed at night and turned her back to him.
Now she’d made him look like a fool. Why had he ever gotten involved with a woman who didn’t know her place?
He caught her at the foot of the steps and wrapped his hand around her wrist.
“Are you deaf?” he snarled. “Didn’t you hear what I said?”
“I heard you.” Sam glared at him. “If you think we’re going back to the days of sit, stay and heel, you can think again.”
“Crazy, as well as deaf. What the hell are you talking about?”
“Let go of me.”
“I will, when you start to make sense.” He narrowed his eyes at her. “Something is wrong with you lately.”
“You’re what’s wrong with me,” she snapped. “And I’m tired of putting up with it.”
A muscle knotted in his cheek. “This is hardly the place for such a discussion. What I wish to say to you should be said in privacy.”
Sam wanted to weep. Instead, she lifted her chin. “This is private enough.”
“A doorway in my office building is hardly private.” His hand closed on her elbow. Grimly, he marched her out to the street and to his car. He had taken the Ferrari today and he held on to her while he unlocked the door. “Get in.”
“Do you ever say ‘please’?”
“Not often, no. Get in, dammit—or did you intend to wander the streets alone? Perhaps you’ve forgotten what happened the last time you did that.”
“Oh, I remember, all right.” Tears burned in her eyes but she’d sooner have died than let them flow. It was bad enough he thought he could treat her this way, go from days of indifference to out and out hostility. She would never let him steal what little remained of her pride. “How could I forget when I’ve wished that night, and everything that came after it, never happened?”
Demetrios stared at her, his eyes cold and flat. “Get in the car,” he said softly.
What would she gain by not complying? Sam pulled free of his hand and got into the Ferrari. They didn’t exchange a word all the way to the heliport, or to Astra.

The house was unusually quiet. Coslimia was away on a
long weekend and it was the cook’s day off. Sam had forgotten that, just as she’d forgotten how much she’d foolishly looked forward to being completely alone with Demetrios. She’d imagined puttering in the kitchen, cooking for him, making him scrambled eggs and cheese the way she had late one night. He’d acted as if he’d never eaten anything better. Ambrosia, he’d said, fit for the gods, and then he’d
kissed her. -
Now, she wished Cosiniia were present, if only to break the heavy silence.
Demetrios took off his suit jacket and tossed it on a chair. His tie went next. Then he undid the top buttons of his shirt and rolled up his sleeves. It was a break from routine. Normally, they went upstairs, showered together. Sometimes, an hour or more slipped by before they thought about any thing but each other. -
“I’m going to have a drink.” He walked past her to his study. “Scotch, on the rocks. Do you want one?”
That, too, was different. She’d never seen him drink any thing but wine.
“No,” she said carefully, “I don’t.”
Demetrios went to the breakfront and poured an inch of whiskey into a Baccarat tumbler, and knew right away that he’d made a mistake. He was in no hurry to have this talk with Samantha. Wine would have made a better diversion. Choosing a bottle, uncorking it, pouring it would all have taken time. On the other band, wine would not numb his growing anger, once the discussion ended.
Discussion? That was an amazing word to use for a conversation he was certain would leave him empty.
Demetrios looked at the tumbler of Scotch. To hell with it, he thought, and tossed the whiskey down his throat, let it burn its fiery way into his belly, but it did nothing to dispel the chill that had been with him for days now, for weeks, ever since he’d realized the days were rushing past
and Samantha clearly didn’t give a damn that their time together was ending.
He reached for the bottle and thought better of it. There was a delicate balance between the amount of alcohol a man needed to cairn him and the amount it took to make his temper explode. He concentrated instead on how he’d felt when he saw the Frenchman standing with his arm curved protectively around Sam’s shoulders, his face a study in false concern, and the way she’d been looking at him, as if he were Lancelot and she Queen Guinevere.
Demetrios put down the tumbler, took a few seconds to compose himself, and turned to the woman who had shared his bed and his life the past three months. She was standing just inside the door to the study, her posture stiff with removal. Her face was pale and her eyes blazed with anger, though for one incredibly foolish minute, he almost thought that what he saw glittering in her eyes were tears.
She was so beautiful. More beautiful than ever, if that were possible. She had changed, in some subtle way he couldn’t put his finger on. Her body seemed more lush, her breasts still small but with a new roundness, her belly gently convex. Perhaps it was simply that he noticed things differently, now that she’d stopped offering herself to him with such heart-stopping eagerness.
When he made love to her lately, it was he who did the asking with a touch, a kiss, a whisper, and even though she still responded, he knew she held back. That killed him. She had never held anything back, not at the beginning. She’d been open to whatever they did in bed, open to life with an infectious joy that had made him feel renewed. He had never known a woman like her. She could weep at Aida and laugh at a children’s cartoon. She could take as much joy in a seashell as in a jewel, and kiss him with tenderness as well as passion.
Most of all, he’d never known a woman who could make him forget the world and want only her.
How could she leave him, without so much as a backward glance?
He’d never considered what would happen when her four month contract ended. Why should he? Surely, she’d want to stay with him. That was what he’d assumed.
How could he have been so damn stupid?
What they’d had was only an interlude in her pursuit of freedom. She was ready to move on. He could tell by the way she behaved. She was withdrawing from the life they shared, and there was nothing he could do about it except beg her to tell him why she wanted to leave him.. .and he’d sooner have suffered the tortures of Tantalus than do something as stupid as that.
Hell, he thought, and turned back to the whiskey and poured another inch in the glass.
Why was he being so maudlin? How long could an affair last? Maybe the trouble was that he’d let Samantha get the upper hand. He should be the one who was ending things, not she.
He put down the whiskey and turned towards her again. “Samantha...”
She shook her head, silenced him with an upheld hand. “You don’t have to say it.” Her voice was husky. “I know.”
“It’s over,” he said flatly.
“Yes. It is.”
“You are eager to return to your own life.”
He was putting words into her mouth. Was he being gallant, or was he only hoping to avoid a scene? He didn’t have to worry. She’d sooner have died than let him know the truth.
“Yes.”
He cleared his throat. “When will you leave?”
Did he want her gone right away? “Next week. When my contract ends.”
“There’s no rush. I mean, if you wanted to stay on for awhile...”
He could afford to be polite, now that she’d said she was leaving. For the second time that day, she wanted to strike him.
“Thank you,” she said, and managed to smile. “But I think it would be better, all around, if I left next week just as we’d planned. I have—I have some interviews lined up.”
A hot throb of anger beat in his blood. He could feel his composure slipping. As they’d planned? They had planned no such thing. They had never talked of when she would leave him, but it was obvious she had thought about it. She’d even arranged for job interviews. All the times he’d been holding her, trying to figure out how he’d lived without her in his life, she’d been thinking ahead, arranging her future—a future that didn’t involve him.
“Really,” he said, very calmly. “You have job interviews lined up?”
She nodded. It was a lie, but she needed to cloak herself in falsehoods if she were going to get through this.
“Well, one or two.”
He narrowed his eyes. “You are going to work for the Frenchman.”
“For God’s sake, Demetrios—” Sam took a breath. “No. Not for him. I, uh, I sent out some e-mails a couple of weeks ago.”
“A couple of weeks ago,” he said softly, ominously. “While you were still in my—in my employ.”
“Well, yes.” She forced a laugh. “But I did it on my own time.”
“Your time belongs to me. All of it.” He came towards her; she took a step back.. “Until the day you walk out of this house, you are mine.”
“Do you have any idea how silly that sounds?” She wanted to try another laugh but she was afraid it would come out a sob. “You don’t own me.” -
“I have owned you for the past three months,” he said roughly. He reached for her, pulled her into his arms. “You have been mine.”
“That might play well in your country, Demetrios, but not—”
He cupped her face and crushed her mouth beneath his. Sam told herself she wouldn’t let this happen. It was over. What bad existed between them was done.. .but she felt the race of his heart against hers, the hardness of his erect flesh against her belly, and knew that she would take this one last night before leaving him.
She put her arms around him and kissed him back. He lifted her and carried her up the stairs to his bedroom, undressed her slowly, savoring the taste of her mouth, her skin, the nectar that he sought out and found between her thighs. When he entered her, it was with a slowness that almost killed him, but he wanted all of it, all of her, to see the darkness fill her eyes, the color flood her face, to hear the sounds she made, the whispers and sighs that told him how much she wanted him here, if no place else.
“Look at me,” he demanded, when he knew she was nearing climax. He caught her hands, linked their fingers together. “Look at me,” he said again, and when she did he pressed deep inside her, pulled back, rocked into her again and again until she was frantic, bucking against him, begging him for release. “Now,” he whispered, and she convulsed around him as he let go of everything that an chored him to the world and lost himself in this woman who had changed him, forever.
He buried his face in her throat, absorbing her smell, her shudders. Once, he’d always held her like this, after they made love; lately, he’d used every excuse not to, but the time for excuses was over. With Sam in his arms, with their flesh still joined, he knew he’d left her because he was afraid to stay with her, afraid to look into himself and face what she had come to mean to him.
Was it possible she cared for him? That she was only waiting for some sign? He took a deep breath, rolled to his side and scooped her against him. “Sam,” said softly, “kitten...”
She was asleep. That was just as well. He wasn’t sure of what he really wanted to tell her. Perhaps it would be clear, in the morning.
But when he awoke, she was gone. All she’d left behind was a note that said she hadn’t known how to tell him that she’d already accepted one of those job offers. She thought it best if she left now, instead of next week. The deal was concluded. He didn’t actually need her services anymore.
He felt himself turn hot with fury. He shot from the bed, pulled on his clothes and went after his helicopter pilot. White-faced, the man said Miss Brewster had requested transport to the Athens airport. Was there a reason he should have turned her down?
Demetrios stared at the pilot. “No,” he said, after a moment, “none.”
Samantha was gone. The night in his arms had meant nothing to her. And, now that he thought about it, it hadn’t meant anything to him, either. Whatever stupid, sentimental crap had oozed through his veins had been the result of good whiskey and good sex, and the world was full of bottles and women who could provide the same thing.
He smiled at the pilot. Women were unpredictable creatures, he said, and clapped the man on the back. Then he returned to the house, dug out the address book he had not looked at since the night he’d first set eyes on Samantha, and placed a call to a brunette in London. He woke her— it was very early in the morning—but she squealed with delight when she heard his voice.
They made plans for what was surely going to be a memorable weekend.
Hours later, as Demetrios was en route to England, a worried housekeeper in Texas awoke Marta Brewster Baron with a soft knock on the bedroom door and then a whisper.
“Thank you, Carmen,” Marta said. She threw on a robe and hurried down to the big kitchen of the Texas mansion known as Espada. “Sam?” she said to the trembling young woman seated at the kitchen table.
Sam looked up. “Mom,” she said shakily. “I should have phoned first, but—”
“No, no, darling, don’t be silly.” Marta sat down next to her daughter and gently clasped her hand. “What’s happened, sweetie? Are you all right? I thought you were supposed to be in Greece until—”
Sam shot to her feet. “Oh God,” she said, and raced to the powder room down the hail.
Marta rose and hurried after her. “Make some tea,” she called back to Carmen.
Sam was bent over the toilet. Marta held her shoulders while she retched. When the spasms ended, she sat Sam down on the closed commode and sponged her face with cool water while she took in what had just happened, combined it with the subtle changes she saw in her daughter’s face and body and with the experience that came with years of living.
Marta knelt down and took Sam’s icy hands in hers.
“Sam, darling,” she said, very gently, “when were you going to let us know that you were pregnant?”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ liilas676  
ÞÏíã 16-11-07, 03:27 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 23
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: liilas676 ÚÖæ áå ÚÏÏ áÇÈÇÓ Èå ãä ÇáäÞÇØliilas676 ÚÖæ áå ÚÏÏ áÇÈÇÓ Èå ãä ÇáäÞÇØ

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏEgypt

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

CHAPTER ELEVEN
‘PREGNANT?” Sam said. “Me?”
“You,” Marta said gently.
Sam came as close as she could to laughing. “No. Don’t be silly. I have the flu. Half the population of Athens had it. I haven’t felt well for days...” She caught herself, heard what she saying and felt as if she were suddenly standing on the top of a cliff. “I’m not,” she said emphatically. “It’s the flu. And the long flight. And—and—”
She began to weep. Marta put an arm around her. “Do you want to talk about it?” she asked softly.
Sam shook her head. “There’s nothing to talk about.”
“Not even the name of your baby’s father?”
“I told you, I’m not pregnant. And even if! were—which I’m not—I wouldn’t want him to know. I hate him, Mom. I despise him. I—”
Sam put her face in her hands and begin to cry in earnest. Marta murmured words of comfort, took her upstairs and put her to bed. Then she returned to the kitchen and sipped the tea Carmen had brewed while she tried to decide what troubled her most, that her daughter was unmarried and pregnant or that the determinedly independent child who’d grown into an impossibly independent woman, had come home.
Marta would be forever grateful that she had, but that didn’t change the facts. That Sam should have felt desperate enough to come home wasn’t just upsetting, it was frightening.
The next morning, Sam borrowed Maria’s car, drove into
town and bought a home pregnancy test kit.

A waste of time, she kept telling herself. There wasn’t a way in the world she could be pregnant. She took the pill. Besides, wouldn’t she know? A woman would certainly know something like that.
A little while later, she stood at the bathroom sink, clutching it for support while she stared at the little stick that said her life was about to turn upside down.
The stick must be wrong. She couldn’t be pregnant.
“Sam?”
She spun towards the closed door. “I’ll—I’ll be right out, Mother.”
Quickly, she scooped up the stick, the instructions, the box and dumped everything in the trash basket. She was trembling when she opened the door.
“Are you all right, Sam?”
“I’m fine.”
Flushed face. Trembling hands. And, sticking up out of the trash, the edge of a box with the word “Pregnancy” printed across it.
“Well,” Marta said brightly, “that’s good to know. Sam. I was thinking... Why don’t I call my GYN and ask him to take a look at you? I know, it’s only the flu. You’re probably right. You can glare at me afterwards and say you told me so.”
It was ridiculous. The whole thing. The test. Her mother. There was only one way to sort this out. “Go ahead,” Sam said. “Make the appointment.”
The doctor had a cancelation in an hour. Sam almost balked. She hadn’t been prepared to get up on the examining table so soon. On the other hand, the sooner she did, the sooner she’d know how stupid all this was.
“I can’t be pregnant,” she said as she climbed onto the examining table.
The doctor poked and prodded. “Well,” he said with professional good cheer, “I hate to argue with you, young lady, but you are.”
Sam sat up. “I’m not,” she said sharply.
“About three months, I’d say, but we’ll do an ultrasound to make sure. I can have the technician see you right now.”
“It would be a waste of time. I absolutely cannot be—”
“Have the ultrasound,” Marta said softly. “Then you’ll know.”
What was there to know? Sam thought stubbornly. But there was no way out; the doctor was already on the phone. Sam went down the hall to another examining room, climbed on the table and stared straight ahead while the technician rubbed gel over her skin, then skimmed a small transducer over her belly.
“Okay,” she said, “let’s just take a look... There we are. See? Right there, down towards the lower right corner of the screen.”
Sam reached for her mother’s hand and held it in a white- knuckled death grip.
“I don’t see anything.”
“Darling?” Marta squeezed her hand. “Look at the screen.”
“I told you, I don’t...” But she did. A tiny blob of pro toplasm. A fetus. And she remembered what she’d fought against remembering, the weekend she and Demetrios had become lovers, when she’d skipped a pill and tried to make up for it by taking an extra the next day.
One missed pill. One little slip. Could your entire life really be changed by something so inconsequential?
Marta chattered nervously until they were halfway back to Espada, then fell silent. Jonas Baron came sauntering down the steps as they pulled up to the house. He was trying his best to look unconcerned but not succeeding.
“How you doin’, missy?” be asked gruffly.
Sam looked at her stepfather. “I’m doing fine,” she said, and went past him into the house.
Left alone, Jonas and Marta looked at each other.
“Well?” he said.
Marta sighed. “She’s three months pregnant.”
“I hope you told her she can stay with us as long as she wants.”
Marta smiled at her husband. “Thank you.”
“Nothin’ to thank me for. Girl’s like one of my own.” His jaw knotted and Marta thought how remarkable it was that her husband could still look so strong, so resolute, so young. “She tell you who did this?”
“It’s that Greek, ain’t it? The one she was workin’ for.”
“She didn’t tell me, Jonas.”
“Yeah, well, who else could it be? I think what this son of a bitch needs is a talkin’ to.”
“Darling, I know you mean well—”
“What I mean is business.”
“It takes two people to make a baby.”
“I only see one of ‘em on this ranch.”
“Maybe he doesn’t know.” Jonas gave a snort of disbelief. Marta put her hand on his arm. “It’s possible. Sam’s in denial. How would she have told him she’s carrying his child if she didn’t know it herself’?”
“That stuff only happens in books,” he said, “not—”
“Not what?”
Not in real life, he’d been going to say, but a long-buried memory was struggling to the surface, a memory he wasn’t willing to stir up just yet.
“Not very often. Sam’s not stupid. She must have known.”
“Well, she didn’t. Or didn’t want to, i'm not sure which.” Marta looped her arm through her husband’s. Together, they climbed the steps and entered the house. “And she doesn’t want him to know. That much is clear.”
“That’s crazy. The man has to stand up to his responsibilities.”
“It’s Sam’s decision, Jonas.”
“But if she loves him—”
“if,” Marta said gently, “ darling. This is a new world,
remember? There’s love. There’s sex. And the two don’t always go together.”
Jonas sighed. “So, you’re tellin’ me it ain’t his fault he’s not here. Okay. There’s always that possibility. But now she knows. We know. Hell, the world’s gonna know. It’s time he knew, too. A man ought to take responsibility if he has a child.”
Marta lay her head on her husband’s shoulder. Considering his own past, the son he’d refused to acknowledge for more than thirty years and now loved with all his heart, she wasn’t surprised he’d think that. Actually, she agreed with him. Whoever had made her little girl pregnant should know it. And if he already did and he’d turned his back, then he deserved the whipping Jonas was so ready to deliver.
But there was Sam to consider. Her daughter was a grown woman, entitled to make her own choices even if they were poor ones. She’d yet to say she even wanted her baby.
“Let’s give this some time. We’ll let Sam think about her situation and we won’t do anything impetuous while she does.”
“Some time,” Jonas cautioned. “Not too much.”
“No,” Marta said, “not too much.”
She kissed her husband. He went into his study; she con tinued up the stairs to the second floor and paused at Sam’s door.
“Sam?” Marta knocked gently. “Darling, may I come in?” She waited, then opened the door. The blinds were closed, casting the room in artificial twilight. She could see Sam sitting in a rocker, her legs drawn up under her. “Darling? Are you okay?”
“That sounds like the beginning of a bad joke,” Sam said. “Are you okay?’ the doctor said to the woman, and she said, ‘Well, Doc, that depends on your definition of okay.”
“Wouldn’t some sun be nice?” Marta said briskly. She didn’t wait for an answer. Instead, she walked from window
to window, opening the blinds and letting in the light. “There now. Sweetie, I know this is a shock, but—”
“I never even thought of it,” Sam said in a small voice.
“Isn’t that stupid? When I think back on the last few weeks, I don’t know how I missed all the signs. I’d stopped getting my period but I just figured it was the pill. I mean, my periods are light as it is...”
“Darling. You don’t have to talk about it, if you don’t want to.”
“And I was nauseous,” Sam said, as if her mother hadn’t spoken. “I felt like I was riding an elevator that kept making sudden stops. You know?”
“I know,” Marta said, sighing. “I still remember, even after all these years.”
“I was moody, too, and tired all the time...” Sam shook
her head. “Just like Amanda, when she was pregnant, but
I didn’t put two and two together.” She swallowed. “I guess
I didn’t want to.”
“No. Of course you didn’t.” Marta hesitated. “Still, you must have known. In the back of your mind, I mean, or you wouldn’t have...” She hesitated again. “I’m assuming that’s why you left—whoever it is that made you pregnant.”
“Maybe, subconsciously. The truth is, I left him be cause—because...” Because he was tired of me and my heart was breaking, knowing he didn’t really want me any more.
“Because?” Marta prompted.
“Because our relationship had run its course,” Sam said carefully, “the way relationships always do. Why else would I have left him?”
Why, indeed? A woman who left a man for such a logical reason didn’t turn up on her mother’s doorstep looking hollow-eyed with despair, but Marta knew better than to say that.
“And now it turns out I’m pregnant.” Sam took a breath. “I just can’t believe it. I never intended—”
“Lots of pregnancies begin that way, darling.”
“This isn’t lots of pregnancies, Mother. This is my pregnancy.” She took a shaky breath. “I never thought about having children.”
Marta sat down on the edge of the bed. “I know, baby. As I said, lots of—”
“No.” Sam uncurled her legs and leaned forward. “You don’t know. Maybe I’m not saying it right. I really didn’t intend to have kids. Not ever.”
“Sam,” Marta said carefully, “i’ve watched you with your nieces and nephews. You’re wonderful with children.”
“Only because I knew they belonged to someone else,” Sam said bluntly. “It’s lovely to coo to a baby and cuddle it, even to wipe up after it, when you know you can give it a kiss at the end of the day, hand it over to its mother and go back to your own life.”
“I see.”
“Do you?”
Marta nodded. “Yes.” She took a deep breath. “And I’ll support whatever decision you feel you must make, darling.”
“Decision?”
“About what—what’s happening.”
Sam gave a harsh laugh. “I’m pregnant, Mom. You might as well say the word.”
“No. I mean, I’d rather not, if you’ve decided to—to.—”
“Decided to...?” Sam stared at her mother. “You think I’m not going through with it,” she said softly.
“Samantha, you’re my child. I know, I know. You’re an adult, you make your own choices but you’ll always be my little girl. I’ll be there for you, whatever you do. I’d never turn away from you, even if—”
“Mom.” Sam reached for her mother’s hands and clasped them tightly. “I’m going to have my baby.”
Relief shuddered through Marta’s heart. “I thought you were saying—”
“What I was saying,” Sam said, with a little catch in her voice, “is that I really believed I never wanted kids or any
of the rest of it, for that matter. You know. The house—.- puppy—kitten—babies thing. It didn’t interest me.”
“And now it does?”
“Amazing, isn’t it?” She gave a choked laugh. “That I’d suddenly want to trade a—a trip to Morocco for a trip to the maternity ward?”
Marta smiled. “Not so amazing, sweetie. We’re like that, we women. All it takes is the right man and.. .Samantha? Sam, what is it?”
Sam pulled her hands free of her mother’s. “But he wasn’t the right man. Don’t you see? I left him because he’s not for me.”
“He was, though, or you wouldn’t have become involved in the first place.”
“Mom.” Sam gave a little laugh. “I became involved because he’s incredibly sexy. He’s one of those men who-.-- who just steal your breath away.” She knotted her hands together. “He wanted me. I wanted him. It was basic stuff. But he’s not the kind of man who’d ever settle down with one woman.”
“Really,” Marta said, while a cold knot formed in her stomach.
“He’s the kind of man a woman wants to go to bed with, not the kind she’d bring home.”
The cold knot was becoming a fist. “Charming.”
“But he was honest. He—he told me how it would be, that we had no future, and I—I didn’t care.” Sam got to her feet. “Sex is just sex,” she said blithely. “That’s what I’ve always believed. However long our relationship lasted would be enough.”
“And now you feel differently?”
Sam spun towards her mother. “Did I say that?” she demanded. “Why would I feel differently? It was sex. And it’s over.” Her voice broke. “And I’m pregnant.”
“Yes. That changes things.”
“It doesn’t.”
“Samantha, for goodness’ sake, of course it does!”
“He doesn’t know. And I’m not going to tell him.” “Oh, Sam. You have tot”
“No, I don’t.”
“Sam. Darling, this baby is half his.”
“This baby is entirely mine,” Sam said savagely. Marta watched the transformation in her daughter’s face.
Her skin went from pale to pink, her eyes from flat to glittering. All good signs, indications Sam was herself again. Too much so, perhaps. That independent streak didn’t make sense in this situation.
“Sam,” she said, trying to sound reasonable, “no matter what you think this man said about the—the impermanence of your relationship, it’s different now.”
“It isn’t.”
“But it is! This man—dammit, what’s his name? I can’t see myself calling the father of my daughter’s child ‘this man’ forever.”
“You’re not going to call him anything because you’re not going to meet him.” Sam lowered her voice. “His name is Demetrios. Demetrios Karas. And that’s to stay between us, Mother. I don’t want anyone else to know about him.”
• “Sweetie, honestly, you can’t keep a thing like that a secret. Your sisters will—”
“I’ll take care of my sisters.”
This was not the time to argue, Marta told herself. “Have you considered the difficulties of raising a child alone?”
“If you’re saying I’ll need money...”
“Yes. You will. We’ll be more than happy to help but knowing you—”
“Knowing me, you figure I’d turn you down. And you’re right.”
• “But you don’t have a real job.” Marta winced as she said it. This was an old sore point between them. “You can’t bounce around the globe if you have a child to raise.”
“There are lots of good-paying jobs for translators in New York. I just never wanted one before.”
“Then think about the baby. Isn’t he or she entitled to a father?”
“Carin, Amanda and I did fine without one.”
- Marta chose to ignore the tossed gauntlet. “Surely, you’ll admit Mr. Karas has the right to know he’s fathered a child.”
“No!”
“He doesn’t want children. He as much as said so.”
Marta struggled to keep her temper under control. This son of a bitch who’d bedded her daughter was a mother’s worst nightmare. Put bluntly, he was, as the old saying went, a hit-and-run artist. Jonas was right. Someone needed to have a little talk with the man.
“I see,” she said calmly. “He’s not interested in cornmitment. He’s not interested in children. But he’s going to have a child, whether intended or not. And he’s obligated to face up to his responsibilities.”
Sam’s color deepened but her gaze didn’t waver. “It’s my responsibility, not his. He asked me about protection. I told him I was on the pill. And—and I slipped up.”
“So what? Does that mean he gets a free pass? Two people made this baby, Samantha, not one.” Marta made a desperate grab at the last of her composure. “Look, honey, lots of men think they don’t want children until they actually find themselves having them. Isn’t it possible that he has paternal feelings he’s never acknowledged? That he might change his mind if he knew you were pregnant? I’m not talking about his marrying you, Sam. From what you tell me of him, you surely wouldn’t want him for a husband.”
“His parents separated when he was little.”
“So what?” Marta folded her arms. “Don’t tell me you were taken in by some Casanova’s tale of childhood angst!”
“His mother went to live in New York.”
“Yes, well, if the gentleman’s father was anything like him, I don’t blame the lady.”
“His father kept custody of their son. Of Demetrios.”
“Well, if that was the arrangement—”
“There was no arrangement” Sam wrapped her arms around herself. The room was warm, filled with midday Texas sun, but she was chilled to the bone. “There was just what his father wanted. He’s Greek. The rules are different. Men still have rights that we don’t even begin to understand. Wealthy, powerful ones, anyway.”
“And you think that would happen if...? But you just said, Demetrios Karas doesn’t want children.”
“And you just said that things change, when a man knows he’s fathered a baby.” She waited, let the seconds slip by until she was sure she could go on. “His father permitted his mother to spend two weeks a year with Demetrios.”
“Two weeks?” Marta shook her head. “No. I mean, things aren’t like that now. Besides, this is the United States, Samantha. There are laws—”
“Two weeks,” Sam said, her voice rising, “in Athens, where the visits could be supervised. And don’t waste your breath telling me about laws because if there’s one thing the last few months have taught me, it’s that men like Demetrios Karas make their own laws.” She bit her lip’ swung away and stared blindly Out the window. “He is never to know about this baby.”
“But Sam—”
“Never,” Sam said sharply. She turned around. “Promise me, Mom. Swear it.”
Marta looked at her daughter. There was more to this. The story about his father forcing his mother to give up her child was disturbing but it left lots of questions unanswered. Talk about wealth and power were all very good—married to Jonas Baron, Marta knew a bit about the iron will of men like that. But a strong woman could face down a strong man, and Sam surely knew she’d have the support of the entire extended Baron clan in a legal fight.
No. There was more, and as she surreptitiously examined her daughter’s face, she suddenly knew what it was. Sam
had fallen in love. In love with a man who’d made it clear he’d never love her, who’d broken her heart.
“Don’t tell Carin and Amanda.”
“Oh, Sam!”
“Not yet, okay? Just—just give me time to make some plans.”
Marta sighed. “All right.”
“And give me your word you’ll never let Demetrios know he’s fathered my baby.”
Marta took her little girl in her arms. “He doesn’t deserve to know,” she said grimly, and consoled herself by imagining what she’d do to the man if ever she got her hands on him.
A little more than twenty-four hours later, the al Rashids and the Alvareses descended on Espada, their arrivals so closely aligned that the dust of the first Jeep racing in from the ranch’s private landing strip barely concealed the rising plume of the second.
Marta kissed her daughters, hugged her sons-in-law and told herself not to have such a suspicious mind. Then she herded them onto the lower level of the waterfall deck, waited until Carmen brought out lemonade and her children had settled into seats before she got down to business.
“Well.” She looked around, one brow arched in question. “It’s lovely to see you, but I’m too old to believe all of you just happened to pick today to pay a surprise visit.”
Silence. Then Rafe cleared his throat. “How is Samantha?”
“She’s fine, thank you for ask...” Marta stared at her son-in-law. “How did you know she was here?”
“Well,” Amanda said, “she’s not in Greece. At least, she’s not answering her e-mails. So I tried phoning Demetrios, but I could only reach his housekeeper, and she—”
“She doesn’t speak English,” Nick said, taking his wife’s hand. “Amanda told me she was worried about Sam, so I
tried reaching Demeirios at his office. His secretary said he’d gone without leaving a forwarding number, which was strange. He’s never out of touch with his office.”
“Never,” Rafe said.
“His secretary didn’t know anything about Sam, so—”
“So,” said Carin, clearing her throat, “I began calling her apartment in New York, leaving messages on her an swering machine, but she didn’t pick them up.” She smiled at her husband. “I told Rafe that Amanda and I were going crazy—”
“And,” Rafe said, with deceptive carelessness, “I tried this and that and the other thing and finally I spoke to some body who knew somebody at the Athens airport, and they did some checking...”
“And we learned that Samantha left Athens and flew to Austin a few days ago,” Nick said. “So, here we are.”
Maria stared from one innocent face to the other. “Here you are,” she finally said. “Just like that.”
“There’s nothing wrong with us being here.” Amanda’s tone oozed defense. “We love her. And if something happened that upset her...”
“Why would you even think that?” Marta narrowed her gaze on her daughter.
“Well, she left Athens in a hurry,” Carin said carefully. “She hasn’t called us. And she came here, instead of going home. No offense, Mother—”
“None taken,” said Maria, in a voice that would have turned water to ice.
“But we all know Sam. She’d sooner eat nails than admit she needed help.”
“Why would she need help?”
“Mother,” Arnanda said, “for heaven’s sake, must you keep asking ‘why’? All we’re saying is that Sam’s behavior is, well, weird. We love her. We decided to come see if she’s okay.”
“The four of you flew to Espada, rather than make a simple phone call to the ranch?”
Carin and Amanda exchanged looks. “Well,” Carin said, “well—”
“Oh, let’s stop beating around the bush,” Amanda said. “Look, we, uh, we sort of.. .we kind of... We thought Sam and this man—”
“Demetrios Karas,” Marta said coolly.
“Yes. We thought they might hit it off. So we, urn, we tried to introduce them. And then Demetrios told Nick he needed a translator, and I mentioned it to Sam, and—”
“Your sister and Mr. Karas hit if off, all right.” Marta glared at her girls.
“Oh.” Amanda looked at Carin. “We, uh, we weren’t sure how well they—”
“A poor choice of words,” Marta said. “Because it isn’t well at all. Samantha is pregnant. And your Demetrios Karas doesn’t want any part of her.”
Amanda and Carin looked thunderstruck Rafe and Nick surged to their feet, their expressions the same as Jonas’s bad been the prior day.
“Is that right?” Rale growled.
“Doesn’t he?” Nick snarled.
“Daimnit,” Sam said furiously, from the lawn below the deck. “Mother, you promised!”
Everyone rushed to the railing. “Darling,” Marta said, “I swear, I didn’t tell them you were here.”
“Sam?” Amanda stared at her sister. “Oh, Sam,” she whispered, “I’m so sorry. I never meant—”
“Why didn’t you want Mother to tell us?” Carin said. “We love you, Sam. We want to help you.”
“I’ve had enough help from you. All of you.” Sam raised her flushed face and glared at her family. “People shouldn’t meddle in other people’s lives.”
“Well, we’re going to meddle in Karas’s life,” Nick said, his voice taut with fury. “When I find that son of a bitch—”
“When we find him,” Rafe said sharply.
“When we find Karas, he’s going to wish he’d never been born.”
The deck door banged open. “Try it,” a hard male voice said. “I hope to hell you do.”
Demetrios stood in the doorway, face white with rage, eyes hot with it, his fists bunched at his sides.
“Karas,” Nick said, his voice cold. He stepped forward. So did Rafe. “I didn’t think you’d be stupid enough to show up here.”
“Come on.” Demetrios took a wider stance and beckoned the men towards him. “Come on, take a swing. I’d love to take you on, the both of you.” His voice roughened. “Who in hell are you, any of you, to play God with a man’s life?”
“What are you doing here?” Rafe demanded.
“It’s none of your business.”
“It damn well is,” Nick growled. “Answer the question. What are you doing here?”
“I came to talk to Samantha.”
“Yeah, well, if you know what’s good for you—”
“if I did,” Demetrios said gruffly, “I sure as hell wouldn’t...” He hesitated. Some of his belligerence seemed to ease. “Is she here?”
Nobody answered, but they didn’t have to. Five faces turned towards the lawn. Demetrios moved towards the steps that led down from the deck. Rafe and Nick moved, too, and blocked his way, but he’d already seen her, his Sam staring up at him as if he were a ghost, and he wondered how she could do this to him, make him want to love her and hate her in the same heartbeat.
She was going to run. He could see it in her posture, run the way she had the night she’d left him, the way she had when they’d first met, but he wasn’t going to let her get away with it. She had to face him and tell him why she didn’t want him. He’d tell her the same thing. And then— and then— He took a steadying breath and looked at the two men
standing in front of him.
“Get out of my way,” he said softly.
Rafe folded his arms. So did Nick.
“This is between Samantha and me, nobody else.” A muscle knotted in his jaw. “If I have to go through you, I wilL I’ll do whatever it takes to reach Sam. Is that clear?”
Marta moved quickly, placed herself between her sons- in-law and Demetrios. She took a long look at the man she’d been prepared to despise. He probably hadn’t shaved in a couple of days and his hair looked as if he’d spent hours running his hands through it. But he was, just as her daughter had said, sexy and gorgeous—and he was looking past all of them, looking at her little girl in a way that would surely make any woman’s heartbeat quicken.
Sam was looking back at him, her eyes brimming with tears, the only kind of tears a woman should ever cry, Marta thought, and felt her heart lift.
“Of course it’s clear,” she said softly. “It’s as clear as glass. Rafe? Nicholas? Let him pass.”
“Marta. You don’t mean that. This man—”
“I do mean it. Let him pass.” Briskly, she clapped her hands. “Everyone inside.” Her daughters frowned. Their husbands looked at her as if she’d lost her mind. “Trust me. Samantha’s going to be fine.”
She shooed them all through the door, knowing they didn’t believe her, that her daughters would argue with her while her sons-in-law paced the house like attack dogs just waiting for a sign that they were needed.
Marta smiled to herself. Men were so predictable. How come she’d forgotten that?
CHAPTER TWELVE
SAM watched in disbelief as her sisters and her tough-as- nails brothers-in-law went into the house.
“We want to help you,” Carin had said. Amanda had blinked back tears. And when Demetrios appeared, Rafe and Nick made it sound as if they’d never let him get anywhere near her.
Instead, they’d disappeared. Even her mother had walked away.
Wonderful. The very people who’d all but pushed her into Demetrios Karas’s arms had abandoned her. She hadn’t been able to hear what they were saying up on the deck, but everyone’s body language had been simple enough to read. Her mother was upset, her sisters were frantic, their husbands were infuriated.. .and Demetrios had gotten his way. It would have been hard to believe if she hadn’t seen what he was like when he wanted something.
When it came to displays of bad temper and arrogant, pigheaded stubbornness, he’d always be the winner.
Now he was coming down the wide wooden steps, taking his time, looking macho and irate.
“Sam,” he said.
His voice was soft, a whisper of smoke in contrast to the banked anger in his eyes.
“Don’t run, Sam. I’m warning you. I have no intention of letting you get away this time.”
Don’t run? Was that a new command, a variation on “stay”? Sam lifted her chin. He was right, she’d been going to run, though not for whatever reasons his self-conceit would probably dredge up but the choice was hers, not his.
She folded her arms, watched as he came down the last step and started towards her. She’d been stunned to see him but now that the shock was over, she was sure she knew the reason he’d come after her. Women didn’t slip out of Demetrios Karas’s bed and steal away in the middle of the night. Maybe it was a good thing he was here. She hadn’t stolen away; she’d simply left him. There was a difference, and he needed to know it...
But he didn’t need to know she was pregnant. He mustn’t know she was pregnant! Sam felt a stab of panic. In the surprise of the last minutes, she’d forgotten all about that. There were changes in her body, ones she’d finally let her self see—see and love, because her baby had gone from being a nonentity to a new life she longed for.
He stopped a few feet from her and folded his arms. Sam dragged in a breath. Would her baby look like its father? Would it have his eyes? His dark hair? Would looking at her child always remind her of how deeply she’d loved Demetrios?
It was stupid to think about that now. Besides, it wasn’t true. She’d only imagined she loved him. What woman in her right mind would love a man like him? All she had to do was look at that infamous scowl to know that there was nothing the least bit lovable about him.
And even though she felt as if his eyes were burning holes in her, he’d never see that she was pregnant. She was wearing an enormous old T-shirt, a relic of her university days, that hung as shapeless as a tent to her knees. Nobody who looked at her could possibly— “Thee mou,” Demetrios whispered. “You are with child!”
Sam didn’t hesitate. She turned and ran. He was right behind her.
“Sam? Sam, stop!”
She ran harder.
“Sam!” She could hear the whiplash of anger in the way he called out her name. “Samantha, are you crazy? You are pregnant. Pregnant women should not run.”
She raced through the garden, towards the fountain that stood at its hidden heart.
“Are you deaf?” be roared, right on her heels. “I am ordering you to stop “
That’s it, she thought, that was absolutely, positively it. She spun towards him, her blood hot with ftuy and frustration.
i‘am he said, and she did what she had so often longed to do, raised her hand and slapped his face.
“Damn you, Demetrios,” she said...except, to her horror, she didn’t say it. She sobbed it. She was weeping, tears spilling from her eyes like rain from the skies that day, all those months ago, when she’d been stupid enough to let him drag her into his life.
“Kitten,” he whispered, and then she was in his arms and he was kissing her.
“Go away.” She put her arms around his neck and clung to him. “Go back to Greece,” she sobbed between kisses. “Get out of my life.”
“I cannot do that, gataki.” He cupped her face in his hands. He was smiling, she saw, but his eyes were almost as wet as hers. “I am your life, just as you are mine.”
“You see?” Sam pressed a kiss to his mouth. “You always think you know what I’m thinking. And you don’t. How could you possibly know how much—how much—”
“I love you,” he said softly. “That is how I know. I adore you, kitten. Se latrévo. I love you more than words can ever say.” He drew back, just enough so he could lay his hand gently over her belly. “And I will love this child with all my heart, and all the children you and I will have together.”
Sam gave a broken little laugh. “There you go, planning my life for me.”
“No,” he said gruffly, “never that.”
“Demetrios.” She reached up and clasped his wrists. “I was teasing you.”
“And I am serious, sweetheart. I will never make you feel as if your life is mine to control.” He took a deep breath, then expelled it. “My father created a gilded cage for my mother but it was a cage, nevertheless. I will not do that to you. I have a home in New York, Sam. Whenever you wish, we will fly there. If you want to work, you will do so. I love you. I need you. But I do not wish to own you. Do you see?”
“Yes,” she said, “oh yes, my love, I do. I see that you are my heart, my soul, my life.”
Demetrios gathered her close and kissed her again. Sam sighed and leaned back in his anns.
“I didn’t know about the baby when I left you,” she said softly. “Although, to be honest, it wouldn’t have changed anything. I’d have gone anyway. I couldn’t have stayed, not when I thought you wanted to end things between
“I was such a fool, kaldz mou. I should have told you that I loved you. Instead, I hurt us both by trying to convince myself that I didn’t.”
“Samantha?” a man shouted. “Where are you?”
Sam groaned. “It’s Nick.”
“Sam,” another man yelled. “Answer us. Where are you? Are you all right?”
“And that’s Rafe.” Sam smiled at Demetrios. “They probably figured we’ve murdered each other by now.”
“Sam?” a third voice joined in. “Damnation, girl, you let us know if you’re all right, you hear?”
“Oh, hell. Jonas, too.” She sighed as Demetrios leaned his forehead against hers. “They’re going to find us in a couple of minutes.”
“That’s good.” Demetrios cleared his throat. “I wish to speak with Jonas. And with Maria.”
Sam looked up at him in surprise. “Why?”
“I am Greek,” he said, as if that explained everything.
Her eyebrows lifted. “What a surprise,” she said sweetly.
“I am Greek and old world, as you once pointed out. And I wish to ask your mother and stepfather for your hand in marriage.”
“Well,” she said softly, eyes bright with love, “in that case, I think you might keep in mind’that I am American and new world, and you’d better ask me first.”
He knew she was teasing him, that she had already given her answer with her kisses and her tears, but he wanted this moment to be one they would remember all their lives, how they’d admitted what was in their hearts in a garden filled with flowers while water spilled like soft rain from a foun tain and filled the air with its music.
Demetrios dropped to one knee and clasped Sam’s hand.
“Samantha. I love you more than life itself. I’ll be the best husband I can be, if you will marry me and share my life.”
Tears welled in Sam’s eyes and slipped down her cheeks. “Yes. Oh, yes, Demetrios. I will.”
He rose just as footsteps pounded down the path. Jonas Baron burst into the clearing with his wife, his stepdaughters and their husbands on his heels.
“There you are,” he yelled, “you lily-livered, no- account, no-good Greek son of a—”
“Son-in-law,” Marta said, putting her hand on her hus band’s arm. “Isn’t that what you were going to say, Jonas?”
Jonas looked at the man who stood with his arm around Sam’s waist. He was big and hard-looking. And smitten, Jonas thought with delight. Absolutely, totally smitten.
“We have met before,” Demetrios said. He stepped forward and cleared his throat. “Perhaps you recall...”
Smitten and nervous, too. Jonas almost cackled with delight.
“Mr. Baron. Jonas. I ask for the hand of your step daughter. I love her with all my heart, and she loves me. We very much want your blessing. And yours, of course,” he said, flashing a smile at Marta, but steely determination replaced the smile in an instant. “But I should tell you both that if you refuse me the right to marry Sam, I’m going to marry her anyway.”
Marta laughed. Jonas grinned, put his arm around his wife’s shoulders and held out his hand to Demetrios.
“Son,” he said, “welcome to the family.”
The four Baron brothers had been tossed out of the house by their stepmother.
“Out, all of you,” Marta had said. “You’re just in the way here. Go on, take a walk or something until it’s time for the ceremony.”
Travis, Slade, Gage and Tyler had shot each other looks and made a quick break for the door. It wasn’t often a man got away from all the hubbub that went with what their wives insisted on calling a simple little home wedding ‘at Espada.
On the way through the kitchen, they stopped just bug enough to grab a couple of six-packs.. .and to collect three other lost-looking males. Their cousin, Gray, looked as if he was trying to fade into the wall along with Nick and Rafe.
“What are you guys doing in here?” Tyler said in surprise.
“Trying to keep from being caught in the stampede,” Rafe muttered.
“Trying to avoid your old man,” Gray said bluntly. “I don’t think Jonas and I have said more than hello and good bye in the last ten years but every time I turned around today, there he was.”
Slade grinned. “He wants something from you. That’s the old here-I-am and by god, there-you-are routine he’s so good at.”
“Well, that’s the problem. ‘You want to talk to me, Jonas?’ I finally said. And he got this look on his face as if I were crazy. ‘What the hell makes you think so?’ he said, and wandered away.”
“So? Problem solved.”
“Yeah.” Gray sighed. “Except, he looks like a man with something on his mind...” He shook his head and reached for a six-pack. “How about we get out of here for a while?”
Tyler clapped his cousin on the back. “The man’s a genius,” he said. “Is it any wonder he’s a big-shot New York lawyer?”
The little group laughed, went out the back door, almost ran over a pair of gardeners giving a last-minute manicure to some shrubs and made a beeline for the barn.
“We used to hold meetings here, when we were kids,” Travis said. “Well, Slade and Gage and I did. Nobody ever found us.” He looked from one man to the other. They were all wearing tuxes, white shirts with ruffles and the pained expressions of men who knew they looked foolish and couldn’t do a damn thing about it. “Anybody worried about gettin’ dirt on these monkey suits?” He waited, then chuck led. “I didn’t think so.”
Moments later, the men of the Baron clan were sitting in the old hayloft, their backs against the planked walls as they soothed their parched throats with gulps of cold beer.
“Man,” Slade said, “you’d think women would get tired of these things.”
“Weddings?” Gage sighed. “Never.”
“He’s right,” Travis added. “Women love all this stuff. The flowers. The candles. The music. The fuss. And I’ll be damned if I can understand the reason.”
“The reason,” Tyler said smugly, “is because they’re women.” His brothers looked at him. So did Nick, Rule and Gray. “Well, it’s the truth. There are X chromosomes, and Y chromosomes, and—”
“And you can tell the ones that are X’s,” Gray offered, “because they’re dressed in pink.”
“Definitely dressed in pink.” Nick said solemnly. “Yeah, I read about that new scientific discovery.”
They laughed, sighed, drank more beer. Rule cleared his throat.
“The man’s okay, you know.”
They all knew what he meant and they all nodded.
“He’d better be,” Slade said, alter a minute. “Otherwise, we’ll set him straight.”
“You mean, Sam’ll set him straight,” Gage said.
The men chuckled.
“She’s one tough piece of work,” Tyler said, and smiled. “Like my Caiffin.”
“Like all of them,” Travis said. “Baron men don’t marry weak women.”
“And Brewster women don’t marry weak men.”
They mulled that over, looked at Gray who raised his hands as if to say they could count him out. Everybody laughed again, and then Nick raised his beer bottle in salute.
“Here’s to Demetrios. All he needed was a good woman to straighten him out.”
Bottle clinked gently against bottle. “Yeah,” Slade said lazily, “well, some men are like that, I guess.”
Nobody made eye contact. Then someone snickered. Seconds later, they were all laughing. They went on laughing until they heard Caitlin calling from below.
“Club meeting’s over,” she yelled. “Come on down.”
“You wanna come up?” Travis yelled back. “There’s some beer left, and you’re an honorary Los Lobos member.”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Too little, too late.” But her voice had a smile in it that made the men smile, too. “Actually, I’d love to, but they’re about to start.” She stepped back as the men came down the ladder. “Ushers? Best man? Places, gentlemen. It’s time.”
It was time, Demetrios thought as he waited at the altar, time for his new life to start.
He and Sam had talked about eloping, just flying to Las Vegas and getting married, but Marta wanted to make her last unmarried daughter a wedding, a real one, she said. Finally Sam said well, maybe a wedding with flowers and music and things—maybe that would be nice. Didn’t Demetrios think it would?
What he’d thought was that he’d have walked through fire, if it made her happy, so he’d smiled and said yes, sure, the idea of putting on a silly suit and sharing the most wonderful moment of his life with a bunch of strangers was a great idea. Well, of course, he hadn’t said any of that except for the “yes” part...
“Here she comes,” Nick said softly.
Demetrios looked up and felt his heart turn over.
Sam, his beautiful Sam, was floating towards him on her stepfather’s arm, an exquisite vision in white lace. Her hair was gathered high on her head in a loose knot ringed with tiny white and yellow roses. Her gown had a low neckline and tiny sleeves he’d heard her sisters refer to as caps before Marta had noticed he was in the room and shushed them to silence. The skirt was long and slender, and his gaze linfffgered on the beautiful little rounding of her belly, where his child lay in unborn slumber.
Jonas brought her to the altar, kissed her cheek and went to sit down beside Marta in the first row of white chairs that had been arranged in the garden.
“Hello,” she said softly, smiling up at Demetrios.
He smiled back. “Hello, sweetheart,” he whispered and though he knew he wasn’t supposed to do it, he bent his head and brushed his bride’s soft mouth with his.
“1 love you, gataki,” he murmured. “With all of my heart. And I will love you forever.”
Tears of joy glittered in Samantha’s eyes. “Forever,” she whispered.
Moments later, they were husband and wife
THE END

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ liilas676  
ÞÏíã 16-11-07, 06:04 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 24
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏEgypt

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

THE SECOND AND THE THIRD NOVELS "THE RUNAWAY MISTRESS & THE CICILIAN'S CHRISTMASS BRID
Hope you enjoy them......................

ÇáãáÝÇÊ ÇáãÑÝÞÉ
äæÚ ÇáãáÝ: rar sandra marton.rar‏ (745.3 ßíáæÈÇíÊ, ÇáãÔÇåÏÇÊ 274)
ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ liilas676  
ÞÏíã 16-11-07, 07:20 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 25
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Jul 2007
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 33118
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 270
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: Mai Ziyada ÚÖæ Úáì ØÑíÞ ÇáÇÈÏÇÚMai Ziyada ÚÖæ Úáì ØÑíÞ ÇáÇÈÏÇÚ
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 152

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSudan

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
Mai Ziyada ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaanx Habbobe

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ Mai Ziyada  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)

ÇáßáãÇÊ ÇáÏáÇáíÉ (Tags)
ÑæÇíÇÊ ÃÌäÈíÉ ÑæãÇäÓíÉ, sandra marton
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÇáÑÏ Úáì ÇáãæÇÖíÚ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÑÝÇÞ ãáÝÇÊ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÊÚÏíá ãÔÇÑßÇÊß

BB code is ãÊÇÍÉ
ßæÏ [IMG] ãÊÇÍÉ
ßæÏ HTML ãÚØáÉ
Trackbacks are ãÊÇÍÉ
Pingbacks are ãÊÇÍÉ
Refbacks are ãÊÇÍÉ

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.liilas.com/vb3/t59050.html
ÃÑÓáÊ ÈæÇÓØÉ For Type ÇáÊÇÑíÎ
How to Dress in the Professional Dress Code This thread Trackback 03-02-11 02:36 PM
How to pick the right pair of jeans This thread Trackback 03-02-11 02:27 PM
How to Get Soft Lips? This thread Trackback 03-02-11 10:06 AM
Mary Janes - Shoes This thread Trackback 01-02-11 08:57 AM
How to Walk In High Heels? This thread Trackback 01-02-11 06:21 AM
NOVELS BY SANDRA MARTON - منتديات ليلاس - Gturl This thread Refback 17-06-09 04:55 PM

ÇáÓÇÚÉ ÇáÂä 06:23 PM.