مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
نيارااا غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : نيارااا المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي Chapter Four

Chapter Four

‘AND I want the whole place to— know—likebe totally me. So there II have to be plenty of pink and loads of open-plan storage for my shoes. All my fans know that I'm a total shoe-freak.’

Emily was finding it a struggle to focus on what her latest client was saying, and not just because the reality-TV stars views on how she wanted her apartment designed and decorated were depressingly banal, she admitted.

The truth was that her normal professionalism and love of her work had in recent weeks become shadowed by her almost constant tiredness and bouts of sickness that had to be the legacy of a virus that she didn't seem to have entirely thrown off.

The reality-TV star was pouting and looking impatiently at her watch. ‘Do we have to do this?’ she asked the PR executive who was minding her. ‘I thought you said that I’d be doing a TV documentary about me designing my new apartment, not doing boring stuff like listening to some decorator.'

Whilst the PR girl attempted to soothe her charge Emily moved discreetly out of earshot. Marco had left early this morning for his office whilst she had still beenasleep, leaving her a scrawled note on the kitchen counter to say that he had some work he needed to catch up on. There was nothing particularly unusual in his early start. As an entrepreneur he often needed to be at his desk while the Far-Eastern financial markets were dealing.

But today, for some reason Emily was conscious of a deep-rooted emotional need to see him be with him. Why?Surely not just because he had left without waking her to give her a good-morning kiss? A little rueful, she shook her head over her own neediness determined to dismiss it. But it refused to go away, if anything sharpening so that it became a fierce ache of anxious longing. She looked at her watch. It was almost lunchtime.

In the early stages of their relationship before Marco had told her that he wanted her to move in with him she had with some trepidation, and with what she had considered to be great daring, taken him up on what she had believed to be a casual invitation to drop in on him if she was ever passing by his office. Emily’s heart started to go faster in a sudden flurry of excited little beats, the grating sound of the TV stars voice fading, as she recalled how she had Marco's initial greeting of her had not been welcoming. 'You were beginning to annoy me with the way you've been deliberately keeping me waiting.' he told her flatly, after his secretary had shown her into his office and then discreetly left them alone together. 'In fact you were beginning to annoy me so much that if you left it another day to visit, you wouldn't have got past my receptionist.' he added arrogantly.

His verbal attack stunned her into a bewildered silence, which had her shaking her head in mute protest.

‘If you think that by holding me off and making me wait, you'll—'

‘Why on earth should I do that?' Emily interrupted him too shocked by his accusations torecognise what she was giving away until she saw the satisfaction gleaming in his eyes and he came towards her saying softly.

‘Well, in that case, we've got some catching up to dohaven't we?' When he took hold of her hands and drew her towards him she was trembling so much with arousal and excitement that he smiled again. Not that he wasn't equally turned on; he told her with sexy intent in between his kisses how much he wanted her and what that wanting was doing to him.

If his telephone hadn't rung Emily suspected that she would have let him make love to her there and then in his office. She certainly hadn't tried to stop him when he had unfastened her blouse and peeled back the lace of her bra exposing her breast to his glitteringly erotic gaze and the skilled touch of his hand. His lips had been on its creamy slope when his phone had rung. She had tried to straighten her clothes as he'd answered the call, but he had stopped her very deliberately tracing the tight excitement of her nipple with one lazy fingertip whilst he'd spoken to his caller.

Emily could feel her body tightening now as she remembered the effect the highly charged atmosphere between them had had on her and the contrast between the calm, businesslike tone of his voice and the deliberately sensual way in which he had been touching her. By the time he had finished his call she had been aching with longing for him to take their intimacy to its natural conclusion, but instead he had released her fastening her top and then saying calmly.

‘Come on.Lets go out and have some lunch.'

She hadn't known him well enough then, of course, torealise that his deliberate arousal of her had been his way of punishing her for what he believed had been her attempt to control their relationship, and him.

Those had been such achingly sweet times, when they had first met. Suddenly she yearned to recapture them. Impulsively, she went over to the PR girl and told her firmly. ‘I'm afraid I have to go. You've got my e-mail address if you need to contact me.' Emily suspected from the look the TV star was giving her that she wasn't going to get any commission for this project. But then, she told herself, right now being with Marco was more important to her than anything.

Marco stood beside his desk in the sleek modern office suite where he conducted his global financial affairs. When he had leftNiroli vowing to make his own mark in the world without his royal status, his grandfather had laughed at him and warned him that he would be back within six months with his tail between his legs. He could have been. Marco admitted: at twenty-two, his belief in his own abilities had been far greater than his financial astuteness; initially he had lost money as he'd played the international stock markets.

But just when he had begun to fear the worst, his mother's great aunt had died in Italy, leaving him a substantial amount of money. A second stroke of luck had led him to come to the attention of one of the City's richest entrepreneurs, who had taken Marco under his wing, teaching him to use his skills and hone his killer financial instincts. Within a year Marco had doubled his inheritance, and within five years he had become a billionaire in his own right.

Emily had designed Marcos office for him. On the traditionalpartners desk she had given him as a birthday gift, there was a silver-framed photograph of the two of them, taken on the anniversary of their first year together, before the death of his parents. Marco now studied it: he saw Emily looking up at him her expression filled with laughter and desire, whilst his own was shadowed and half hidden. But then Marco knew, his eyes reflected the physical hunger he had seen in hers, just as the positioning of their bodies mirrored one another. Emily was gazing at him with open happiness in her eyes, because she knew he was a wealthy man and a skilled lover.

Niroli’skings receive love. Marco,' his grandfather had told him when he was a young adolescent, ‘they do not give it. They are above other, weaker men and they do not try to turn physical desire into mawkish sentiment like other, lesser men. They do not need to. You are maturing fast and you will discover very soon that your royal status will draw to you your pick of the worlds most beautiful and predatory women. They will give you their bodies but in return, they will try to demand that you give them money and status. They will try to scheme, lie and cheat their way into your bed and if you are foolish enough to let them they will present you with bastard sons who will become permanent reminders of your own folly and permanent dangers toNiroli's throne. It is not so many centuries ago that a newly crowned sultan would order the death or the castration of all his many male half-siblings in order to prevent them from trying to take his place. You're welcome to taste the pleasure of the women who offer themselves to you as much as you wish, but remember what I have told you. Ultimately you will make a necessary dynastic marriage with a young woman of royal and unimpeachable moral virtue, and she will give you your legitimate heirs. Your only heirs, if you are wise. Marco.’

Well, he had been wise, hadn't he? Marco told himself grimly. And he intended to continue to be so. He looked down at the letter on the desk in front of him. It had arrived the previous day its royal crest and theNirolean stamp immediately marking it out as the reason why he was in the office so early this morning. It was from his grandfather, setting out the final details of his abdication plans.

The people ofNiroli King Giorgio had written, were already being encouraged to expect Marcos return and to welcome him as their new ruler. He needed to speak with his grandfather. But protocol meant that, yesterday. Marco had patiently followed an archaic, convoluted procedure, which had ensured that none of the ancient statesmen who surrounded his grandfather would have their pride dented, before finally arranging to speak directly to the king. Marco intended to make a clean sweep of these elderly statesmen once he was on the throne. His plan was to bring a forward-thinking modern mindset to the wayNiroli was ruled, via courtiers of his own generation who shared his way of thinking. In fact, this new regime was something he already had in hand after a few discreet one-to-one telephone calls.

He looked at his watch: in another twenty minutes exactly, the telephone on his desk would ring and the Groom of the Chamber would announce in his quavering voice that he was going to connect him to his grandfather. Marco sighed. The elderly courtier was hard of hearing, as indeed was his grandfather, although King Giorgio denied it! Marco had a rueful fondness for his older relative, and he knew that Giorgio had a grudging respect for him but he also knew that both of them were far too similar to ever be willing to be open about those feelings. Instead they tended to conform to the roles they had adopted in Marcos teenage years, when his grandfather had been the disapproving disciplinarian and he had been the rebellious black sheep.

He checked the time again. All this simply so that he could assure his grandfather that he would be returning toNiroli just as soon as he had dealt with his outstanding business in London, something that should have been a simple matter of a quick phone call rather than this long-drawn-out ceremonial.

The part of Marcos outstanding business that concerned Emily was of course something he did not intend to discuss with the old king. He estimated that it would be a few weeks yet before he would be ready to leave, and he had already decided that there would be no sense in telling Emily their relationship had to end until then. One single clean cut with no possibility of any come-backs,was the best way to deal with the situation. He would tell her they were finished and that he was leaving the country—and that was all. He had taken her to his bed as plain MarcoFierezza and he saw no point in revealing his royal status to her now.

She had known him as her lover and a wealthy entrepreneur, not as the future King ofNiroli . It was true that she might at some future point come to discover who he was—the paparazzi took a keen interest in the Royal House ofNiroli —but by then their lives would be entirely separate. Their relationship had never been intended to end in commitment. He had told her that right from the start. But they had been together for almost three years, when previously he had become bored with his girlfriends within three months.

Marco shrugged away the dry inner voice pointing out things to him he didn't want to acknowledge. So sexually they might have been well suited, or maybe at thirty six the raw heat of his sex drive was cooling and he demanded less stimulation and variety, which made him ******* to accept a familiar physical diet? It would do him good to get out of that kind of sexual rut he told himself coolly.

It would do them both good. Marco started as out of nowhere, a sharply savage spear of sexual jealousy stabbed through him. What was this? Why on earth should he feel such a gut-wrenching surge of fury at the thought of Emily moving on to another man? His mouth compressed. His concern was for Emily, and not for himself. She was afterall the vulnerable one not him. Emily’s sexual past was very different from his own and because of that—and only that, he assured himself—he was now experiencing a completely natural concern that she was not equipped to deal with a lover who might not treat her as well as he had done.

Marco looked at her picture, reluctantly remembering the first time he had possessed her. He’d planned to surprise her but in the end she had been the one who had surprised him...

He had seen how excited shed been when he’d walked into her shop and told her that he was taking her away for a few days, and that she would need her passport. When he'd picked her up later that day he had seen quite plainly in her expression how much shed wanted him.As he had wanted her.

He had been totally—almost brutally, some might have said—honest with her about the fact that he had no time for the emotional foolishness of falling in love. He had informed her calmly that he had ended previous relationships for no other reason than that his girlfriends had told him that they were falling in love with him. Emily had greeted his announcement with equal calm. Falling in love with him wasn't something she planned to do she had assured him firmly. She was as committed to their relationship being based on their sexual need for one another as he was himself, she had smiled, adding that this suited her perfectly, and Marco had felt she was speaking the truth.

He had booked the two of them into a complex on a small private island that catered exclusively for the rich and the childfree. Everything about the location was designed to appeal to lovers and to cocoon them in privacy, whilst providing a discreet service.

The individual villas that housed the guests were set apart from the main hotel block, each withit’s own private pool. Meals could be taken in the villas or in the Michelin-starred restaurant of the hotel, where there was also an elegant bar and nightclub.

Amongst the facilities included for the guests’ entertainment were diving and sailing, and visits to the larger, more built-upneighbouring islands could be arranged by helicopter if guests wished.

They had arrived late in the afternoon, and had walked through the stunningly beautiful gardens. Marco recalled now how Emily had reached out to hold his hand, her eyes shining with awed wonder as they had paused to watch the breathtaking swiftness of the sunset. He remembered, too, how he had been unable to resist taking her in his arms and kissing her, and how that kiss had become so intimate it had left Emily trembling.

They had returned to their villa, undressing one another eagerly and speedily, sharing the shower in the luxuriously equipped bathroom. Emily’s physical response to him had been everything Marco had hoped it would be and more. She had held nothing back, matching him touch for touch and in intimacy until he had started to penetrate her. It had caught him off guard to have her tensing as he thrust fully into her, believing she was as eager to feel the driving surge of his body within hers as he was to feel her hot wet flesh tightening around him.

At first he had assumed she was playing some kind of coy game with him.mistakenly thinking that it would excite him if she assumed a mock-innocent hesitancy. His frustration had made him less perceptive than he might otherwise have been, and more impatient, so he had ignored the warning her body had been giving him and had thrust strongly again. This time it had taken the small muffled sound that had escaped past her rigid throat muscles to make himrealise the truth: she was still a virgin.

His first reaction had been one of savage anger, fuelled by the toxic mingling of male frustration and the blow to his own pride that was caused by the fact that he hadn't guessed the truth. Sex with an inexperienced virgin—and the potential burden of responsibility thatcarried, both physical and emotional—was something he just had not wanted.

‘What the hell is this?’ he swore. Okay. I know about your marriage, but I would have thought that...if only because of that...’

‘That what?That Id jump on the first man I could find?’ Emily retaliated sharply. But beneath that sharpness he caught the quiver of uncertainty in her voice, and his anger softened into something that caught at his throat, startling him with its intensity.

‘Well, it did cross my mind,' she told him. 'But in the end I was too much of a moral coward to go through with it. Blame my grandfather, if you wish, but the thought of having sex with a man I didn't truly want, just to get rid of my virginity, has made it harder rather than easier for me to find a man I did want enough.’

Marco shrugged dismissively not wanting to have to deal with his own unfamiliar feelings, never mind hers!

If you're expecting me to be pleased about this, then let me tell you—'

You don't need to tell me anything. Marco.' she had stopped him determinedly. It's rather obvious what you feel.'

‘I don't know what you'rethinking, or hoping for.' he told her ignoring her comment, but despite what you may want to believe, the majority of sexually mature men do notfantasise about initiating a virgin! I certainly don't. The reason I brought you here was so that we could indulge our need for one another as two people starting from the same baseline. For me thatmeans we share matching physical desires for one another and awareness of our own sexual wants and expectations.'

‘I’m sorry if you feel that I've let you bring me here under false pretences.’ Emily told him. ‘Maybe I should have said something to warn you?’

‘Maybe?’

The scorn in his voice made her flinch visibly. 'I didn't want to play theIm -still-a-virgin card for the reasons you've just mentioned yourself,’ she defended. ‘I didn't want it to be an issue and. besides. I wasn't even sure that you d notice.’

Marco remembered how she hadcoloured up hotly when he had looked at her in disbelief.

‘I really am sorry.’ she told him apologetically.

‘You're sorry? I'm so damn frustrated...’ he began.

‘Me too.’Emily interrupted him with suchcandour that he felt his earlier irritation evaporating.

Frustrated, but virginal and apprehensive?he felt bound to point out.

‘Yes but not one of those has to remain a permanent state, does it?’ she responded.

'You trust me to deal effectively with all three?'

‘I trust you to make it possible for us to deal with all three.she corrected him softly. ‘I'm a woman who believes that participation in a shared event makes for mutual enjoyment, even if right now in this particular venture I am the junior partner.’

He wasn't used to beingteased, or to sharing laughter in an intimate relationship and as he quickly discovered, shared laughter had its own aphrodisiacal qualities.

He made love to her with a slow intimacy which, he was the first to admit, had its own reward when in the end she showed him such a passionate response. It was she who urged him to move faster and deeper, until he was as lost in the pleasure they were sharing as she was. But not so lost that he couldn't witness the shocked look of delight widening her eyes as her orgasm gripped her...

What the hell was he doing, thinking about that now? It was over; they were over; or rather they soon would be.

Someone was knocking gently on his office door. Marco frowned. He wasn't expecting anyone and he had expressly told his PA not to disturb him. He was still frowning when the door opened and Emily stepped through, smiling at him. It wasn't often that Marco was caught off guard by anything or anyone, but on this occasion...

‘My meeting finished early.’ he could hear Emily saying breezily. So I thought Id come over and see if you were free for lunch?’

When he didn't answer her she closed the office door and came towards him.dropping her voice to a playfully soft tone as she told him. Or maybe we could forget the going-out and the lunch. Remember. Marco, how we used to...What's wrong?' she asked him uncertainly.

Her smile disappeared and Marcorecognised that he had left it several seconds too late to respond appropriately to her arrival.

Normally, the fact that his timing was at fault would have been his main concern. But for some reason, he found that, not only was he acutely aware that he had hurt and upset Emily, he was also suppressing an immediate desire to go to her andapologise .Apologise ?Him? Marco was astounded by his own uncharacteristic impulse. He neverapologised to anyone, for anything.

'Nothing's wrong,' he told her flatly, knowing that something was very wrong indeed for him to have felt like that. It couldn't be that he was feeling guilty, could

it? A traitorous, critical inner voice suddenly challenged, pointing out: After all, you've lied to her and you're about to leave her...

She knew the ground rules. Marco answered it inwardly. That his own conscience should turn on him like this increased his irritation and. man-like, he focused that irritation on Emily, rather than deal with its real cause.

‘Yes there is.’ Emily persisted. ‘You were looking at me as though I'm the last person you want to see.’

'Don't be ridiculous. I just wasn't expecting to see you.' He flicked back the sleeve of his suit—handmade, it fitted him in such a way that its subtle outlining of his superb physique was a whispered suggestion caught only by those who understood. ‘Look. I can't do lunch. I've got an important call coming through any time now and after than I've got an appointment.' That wasn't entirely true, but there was no way he wanted Emily to suggest she wait around for him whilst he spoke with his grandfather. For one thing, he had no idea just how long the call would last and. for another...For another, he wasn't ready yet to tell Emily what she had to be told.

Because he wasn't ready yet to deny himself the pleasure of making love to her.hisinner tormentor piped up adding mockingly. Are you sure that you will ever be ready? He dismissed that unwanted thought immediately but its existence increased his ire. ‘MrsLawson should have told you that Id said I didn't want to be disturbed.’ he informed Emily curtly.

She heard the impatience in his voice and wished she hadn't bothered coming. Marcos arrogance made him forget sometimes how easily he could hurt her, and she certainly had too much pride to stay here and let him see that pain.

'MrsLawson wasn't there when I came in.'

'Not there? She's my PA for heaven's sake. Where the hell is she?'

She'd probably just slipped off to the cloakroom. Marco. It isn't her fault.' Emily pointed out quietly. Look. I'm sorry if this isn't a good time.' She gave a small resigned sigh. I suppose I should have checked with you first before coming over.'

Yes you should have.' Marco agreed grimly. Any minute now the phone was going to ring and if he picked it up she was going to hear his grandfather's most senior aide's voice booming out as he tried to compensate for his own deafness. Is that you Your Highness?' The Comte had never really accustomed himself to the effectiveness of modern communication systems and still thought his voice could only travel down the telephone line if he spoke as loudly as he possibly could.

Emilyseyes widened as she registered Marcos rejection and then she stood still staring blankly at him thecolour leaving her face. He was treating her as though she were some casual and not very welcome acquaintance.

'Don't worry about it. I'm sorry I disturbed you.' she managed to say but she could hear the brittle hurt in her own voice. Right now she wanted to be as far away from Marco and his damn office as she could get! She was perilously close to tears and the last thing she wanted was the humiliation of Marco seeing how much he'd wounded her. To her relief, she could hear sounds from the outer office suggesting that his PA had returned, enabling her to use the face-saving fib that she didn't want to haveMrs Lawson coming in to shoo her out. Emily opened the door and left, barely pausing to acknowledge the PA's surprise at seeing her.

Emily hurried out of the office, her head down and her throat thick with unshed tears.

What was it with her?she asked herself wretchedly, five minutes later as she hailed a taxi. She wasn't a young girl with emotions so new and raw that she overreacted to every sucked-in breath! She was in her twenties and divorced, and she and Marco had been together for nearly three years, the intimacy of their sex life having given her an outward patina of radiant sensuality. It had been so palpable in the first year they'd been together, one of her clients had told hersemijokingly . ‘Now that you're with Marco you're going to start losing clients if you aren't careful.'

‘Why?' Emily had asked.

‘Jealousy.' had been the client's succinct answer.

Emily remembered how she had smiled with rueful acknowledgement. You mean, because I'm with Marco and they'd like to change places with me?' she had guessed.

They may very well want to do that, but I was thinking more of their concerns that their husbands might be tempted by the creamy glow of sexual completion you're carrying around with you right now. Emily.'

Emily remembered she had blushed and made some confused denial, but the client had shaken her head and told her wisely. You can't deny or ignore it. That glow shimmers round you like a force-field and men are going to be drawn to you because of it. There is nothing more likely to make a man want a woman than her confident wearing of another man's sexual interest in her.'

She doubted that she still wore that magnetic sexual aura now. Emily admitted sadly. That was the trouble: when you broke the rules, it didn't only make you ache for what you didn'thave, it also damaged what you did.

The taxi driver was waiting for her to tell him where she wanted to go. She leaned forward and gave him the address of Marcos apartment. Marco's apartment, she noted—for that was how she thought of it. Not as their apartment, even though he had invited her to make it over to suit her own tastes and had given her a lavish budget for its renovation. Material possessions, even for ones home that evoked deep-rooted attachments, were nothing without the right kind of emotions to surround them.

Why had it had to happen? Why had she fallen in love with Marco? Why couldn't she have stayed as she was thrillingly aware of him on the most intimate kind of sexual level, buoyed up by the intensity of their desire for one another, overwhelmed by relief and joy because he had brought her from the dark, wretched nowhere she'd inhabited after her divorce to the brilliant glittering landscape of unimaginable beauty that was the intimacy they shared together? Why.why .why couldn't that have been enough? Why had she had to go and fall for him?

Emily shivered, sinking deeper into the seat of the taxi.And why. Having fallen for him did she have to torment herself by hoping that one day things would change, that one day he would look at her and in his eyes she would see his love for her? The hope that, one day it would happen sometimes felt so fragile and so unrealistic that she was afraid for herself, afraid of her vulnerability as a woman who needed one particular man so badly she was prepared to cling to such a fine thread. But what else could she do? She could tell him honestly, how she felt.

Emily bit her lip guiltily aware that she wasn't being open with him. Because she was afraid in case she lost him...Why was she letting herself be dragged down by these uncomfortable, painful thoughts and questions? Why did they keep on escaping from the place where she tried to incarcerate and conceal them? What kind of woman was she to live a lie with the man she loved? What kind of relationship was it when that man stated openly that there was no place for love in the life he wanted to live?

The taxi stopped abruptly, catching her off guard. She didn't really want to go up to the apartment, not feeling the way she was right now but another person was already hurrying purposefully towards the taxi, wanting to lay claim to it.

Emily got out and paid her fare to the driver, shivering as she waited for her change. Her stomach had already begun its familiar nauseous churning this time, it had to be a result of Marco's rejection of her appeal to him, though she had to admit she had also felt too nauseous to want any breakfast this morning. She was definitely beginning to feel slightly dizzy and faint as well as unwell now.

Psychosomatic, she told herself unsympathetically as she headed up to the apartment.

It had started to rain while Emily was getting out of the taxi. Yes the miserable weather was adding to her feelings of lowness. Why couldn't she talk to Marco? They were lovers, after all sharing the closest of physical intimacy. Physical intimacy—but they did not share any emotional intimacy. Emily’s experiences as a child had made her wary of appearing needy. It was now second nature to her to hide the most vulnerable part of her true self. Only in Marcos arms, at the height of their shared passion, did she feel safe enough to allow her body to show him what was in her heart, knowing that he wasn't likely to be able torecognise it.

She let herself into the apartment, mutely aware of how empty and impersonal it felt, for all her attempts to turn it into a shared home.

‘Yes Grandfather. I do understand, but I cannot work miracles. It is impossible for

meto return toNiroli before the end of the month as we had already tentatively agreed.’ Marco managed to hold onto his temper as his grandfathers complaints grew louder, before finally interrupting to say dryly.‘Very well then. I accept that whilst I had talked about the end of the month, you had not agreed to it. But that doesn't alter the fact that I cannot return sooner.’

The sound of his grandfather slamming down the receiver reverberated in Marco’s eardrum. Replacing his own handset, he stood up and turned to look out of the window of his office. It was raining. InNiroli the sun would be shining.

Marcos grandfather was obviously furious that he had refused to give in and alter the timing of his return and bring his arrival onNiroli forward. But his grandfather’s rage did not worry Marco. He was used to it and unaffected by it apart from the fact that he too didn't like having his plans challenged. He looked irritably at his watch. He was hungry and very much in need of the gentle calm ofEmilyscompany . That, plus the natural reserve that made her the kind of woman who was never going to court the attention of the paparazzi, or expose their relationship to the avid curiosity of others, were two other major plus-points about her.But not quite as major as the sensuality that spilled from her like sweetness from a honeycomb, even if she didn'trealise it.

The direction his thoughts were taking surprised him. It was nonsense for him to be thinking about Emily like this when he was about to end their relationship! Far better that he focused on the things he didn't like about her. such as...Such as the way she insisted on keeping professional commitments even when he had made other plans. Is that the only criticism you can make of her?an increasingly voluble and irritating inner voice demanded sardonically. Marco sighed, mentally acknowledging the irony of his own thoughts. Yes it was true that, in many ways. Emily was the perfect mistress for the man he had been whilst he'd lived in London. But he wasn't going to be that man for much longer.

When the time came for him to take a royal mistress, she would have to have qualities that Emily did not possess. Chief amongst those would be an accepting, possibly older husband. This was an example of the kind of protocol at the royal court ofNiroli which, in Marco's opinion, kept it in the Edwardian era. He certainly planned to bring about changes that would benefit the people ofNiroli rather than its king. But perhaps there were certain traditions that were better retained.

No. Emily could not continue to be his lover, but even so he could have responded better to her arrival in his office earlier. Marco admitted. He could, for instance, have suggested that she go ahead to one of theirfavourite restaurants and wait there for him. It had, after all, been predictable that his grandfather would lose his temper and end their conversation so abruptly, once herealised that he wasn't going to get everything that he wanted.

Marco toyed with the idea of calling Emily now and suggesting that she meet him for a late lunch, but then decided against it. She wasn't the kind of woman who sulked or played silly games. But honesty compelled him to accept that some measure of compensatory behaviour on his part would be a good investment.

Ridiculously in many ways, given the length of time they had been together, just thinking about her triggered that familiar sharp ache of his desire for her. He picked up the phone and rang the number of her shop.

Her assistant answered his call, telling him. ‘She isn't here. Marco. She rang a couple of minutes ago to say that she's going to spend the rest of the day working at the apartment. Poor Emily, she still isn't properly over that wretched virus, is she?'

Marco made a noncommittal reply. He himself was never in anything other than the very best of health, but right now his mood was very much in need of the soothing touch that only Emily could give. She had an unexpectedly dry sense ofhumour , which, allied to her intelligence and acute perception, gave her the ability to make him laugh, sometimes when he least felt like doing so. Not that her sense ofhumour or his laughter had been very much in evidence these last few weeks, herecognised , frowning a little over this recognition. It surprised him how sharp the need he suddenly felt to be with her was. It was amazing what a bit of guilt could do he decided as he told his PA that he, too would be spending the afternoon working at home.

The best way to smooth over any upsets, so far as Marco was concerned, was in bed where he knew he could quickly make Emily forget about everything other than his desire for her and hers for him...

Emily scowled as she worried over the message she had just picked up from one of her clients. The lady in question was a good customer, but Emily had still felt slightly wary when shed been asked a while ago to take on the complete renovation of a property in Chelsea.

‘Darling, darling.Emily.’ CarlaMainwearing had trilled. ‘I am so in love with your perfect sense of style that I want you to choose everything and I am going to put the house totally in your hands.

Knowing Carla as she did. Emily had taken this with a pinch of salt and had therefore insisted on having her work approved at every single stage. Now Carla had left her a message saying that she hated thecolour Emily had chosen for the walls of the property's pretty drawing room, and that she wanted it completely redone—atEmilys expense. Emily recalled that Carla had previously sanctioned thecolour of the paint. But discretion was called for in telling her this, so rather than phone Carla back she decided to e-mail instead. Her laptop was in the study she shared with Marco, as were her files, so she made her way there, firmly ignoring the leaden weight of her earlier disappointment at Marcos refusal to join her for lunch.

Five minutes later, she was standing immobile in front of the study's window, her laptop and original purpose of coming to the study forgotten, as she stared in shocked horror at the vellum envelope she was holding. Her hand, actually not just her hand but her whole body, was trembling violently, as she felt unable to move. Waves of heat followed by icy chill surged through her body and somewhere some part of her mind managed to register the fact that what she was suffering was a classic reaction to extreme shock. She could hardly see the address on the envelope now through her blurred vision, but the crest on its left-hand front corner stood out its royal crest, followed by the address: HRH

Prince Marco ofNiroli ...

She didn't hear Marcos key in the apartmentdoor, she didn't even hear him calling out her name. Her shock was so great that nothing could penetrate it. It encased her in a kind of bubble, which only concentrated the torment of what she was suffering and branded it on her brain so that it could never be forgotten. It was only finally pierced by the sudden opening of the study door as Marco walked in. but of course there was no way his arrival could ease her pain. Instead she gripped the envelope even tighter, her voice high and tight as she said thinly.

‘Welcome home.Your Highness. I suppose I ought to curtsey to you.'

She waited, praying that he would laugh and tell her that she had got it all wrong, that the envelope she was holding, addressing him as Prince Marco ofNiroli was some silly mistake.

عرض البوم صور نيارااا  
قديم 22-11-07, 12:24 AM   المشاركة رقم: 107
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 7129
المشاركات: 287
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: نيارااا عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 43

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

LIKE a tiny candle flame shivering vulnerably in the dark, her hope trembled fearfully. And then the look in Marcos eyes extinguished it as cruelly as a hand placed callously over the face of a dying person to stem their last breath. It was over.Now.in this minute, this breath of time, they were finished. Emily knew that without the need for any words, the pain of that knowledge slamming a crippling body-blow into her. Her stomach felt as though she had plunged down a hundred floors in a high-speed lift.

Give that to me; Marco demanded, taking the envelope from her.

‘Itstoo late to destroy the evidence. Marco.’ Emily told him brokenly. ‘I know the truth now. And I know how you’ve lied to me all this time, pretending to be something you aren’t letting me think...’ She dug her teeth in her lower lip to try to force back her own pain. ‘Do you think I haven’t read the newspapers? Do you think the people ofNiroli know that their prince is a liar? Or doesn’t lying matter whenyour’e a member of the Royal House?’ she challenged him wildly.

'You had no right to go through my desk.' Marco shot back at her furiously, his male loathing at being caught off guard and forced into a position in which he was in the wrong making him determined to find something he could accuse Emily of. ‘I thought we had an understanding that our private papers were our personal property and out of bounds.’ he told her savagely. ‘I trusted you...’

Emily could hardly believe what she was hearing.

‘Did you? Is that why you hid this envelope under everything else?’ she challenged him shaking her head in answer to her own question. No. you didn't trust me.Marco, and you didn't trust me because you knew that I couldn't trust you. And you knew that because you are a liar, and liars don't trust people because they know that they themselves cannot be trusted.' She not only felt sick, she also felt as though she could hardly breathe. Everything I thought I knew about you is based on lies, everything. You aren't just MarcoFierezza .you are Prince Marco ofNiroli . You yourself are a lie. Marco...'

‘You are taking this far too personally. The reason I concealed my royal status had nothing whatsoever to do with you. It was a decision I made before I met you. My identity as plain MarcoFierezza is as real to me as though I were not a prince. It has nothing to do with you.' he repeated.

‘How can you say that? It has everything to do with me and if you had any shred of decency or morals you would know that. How could you lie about who you are and still live with me as intimately as we have lived together?’ she demanded brokenly.‘How could you live with yourself, knowing that others, not just me.believed you accepted and gave you their trust, when all the time—‘

‘Stop being so ridiculously dramatic.’Marco demanded fiercely. ‘You are making too much of the situation.’

‘Too much?’Emily almost screamed the words at him. ‘Too much, when I have discovered that you have deceived me for the whole time we've been together? When did you plan to tell me Marco? Perhaps you just planned to walk away without telling me anything? After all what do my feelings matter to you?'

Of course they matter.' Marco stopped her sharply. And it was in part to protect them, and you that I decided not to inform you of the change in my circumstances when my grandfather first announced that he intended to step down from the throne and hand it on to me.'

To protect me?'Emily almost choked on her fury. 'Hand on the throne? Don't bother continuing. Marco. No wonder you told me when you first took me to bed that all you wanted was sex. You knew that was the only kind of relationship there could ever be between us! You knew that one day you would beNiroli's king. No doubt you are expected to marry a princess. Is she picked out for you already, your royal bride?’

‘No.'

Emily shrugged disdainfully. There's no point in replying because, whatever you say.I can’t believe you not now.’

‘Emily, listen to me. This has gone far enough. You are being ridiculous. I know you have had a bit of a shock, but...’

'A bit of a shock?A bit of a shock?'

When she whirled round and headed for the door. Marco demanded. ‘Where are you going?’

‘To pack my things.’Emily told him fiercely. I'm leaving.Marco, right now. I can’t andwont stay here with you. I feel I don't know you any more, and right now I don't really want to.'

‘Don't be stupid. Where will you go? This is your home.'

‘No. this is your apartment, it has never been my home.As to where I will go. I have a home of my own—remember?’ she challenged him.

Marco frowned.‘Your house in Chelsea? But your assistant is living there.’

She was living there, but she moved in with her new partner at the weekend, not that it or anything else in my life is any business of yours Your Highness. Or should it be Your Majesty?’

‘Emily.’ He reached for her but she started to pull away from him a look of angry contempt in her eyes that infuriated him. She had accused him of deceit and duplicity, but what about her actions? What about the fact that she had gone through his private papers behind his back? Her accusations had stung his pride, and now suddenlyrecognising that control of the situation had been taken from him and that she was about to walk out on him awakened all his most deeply held, atavistic male feelings about her. She was his—his until he chose to end their relationship.

Emily’s eyes widened in mute shock as his fingers closed round her wrist, imprisoning her and she saw the familiar look of arousal darkening his eyes. ‘Let go of me; she snapped. Youcant really expect...’

‘Icant really expect what?’ He wasn't going to let her go. Emilyrealised . She felt a quiver of sensation run down her spine—and it wasn't fear.

‘What is it that Icant expect. Emily?' he repeated silkily. Is it that I can't expect to take you to bed any more—is that what you were going to say?That I can't expect to touch you or hold you?'

She had edged towards the study door as he'd advanced, but before she could open it and escape Marco reached past her kicking it shut. Then, he placed his hands on it either side of her so that she was caught between the door and him. A tell-tale spiral of excitement was sizzling through her its presence within her reminding her of the early days of their affair, when just to know that Marco wanted her and intended to have her was enough to leave her quivering on the edges of erotic need and surrender.Just as she was doing now.

She tried tovocalise her denial, not just of her own arousal but also of Marco's intentions, but the words were locked in her throat. Beneath the soft wool of her sweater she could feel the growing hardening of her nipples and the desire-heavy weight of her breasts. How long had it been since she had felt like this? How long had it been since Marco had shown her this side of himself? So long that she couldn't remember? So long that, because it was happening now.she couldn't resist his allure?

Her heart jerked around inside her chest as though it were suspended on a piece of elastic. The ache in her breasts curled down through her belly to taunt her sex and tease from it a throbbing pulse of excitement and longing. Sherealised that she should be horrified by the way she was reacting to him in view of what she had now discovered, horrified and determined not to let him touch he sickened by the thought of him touching her. But she also knew that she wasn't; instead she wanted him with a physical intensity that held her fast in an unfamiliar, almost violent grip.

‘Is that what you wanted to say to me, Emily—that I cant make you want me any more, that I cant arouse you, that I can't do this...? He lifted his hand and stroked a fingertip down the side of her neck and along her collar-bone, making her shudder in violent erotic delight. He had moved closer to her so close that she could smell the familiar scent of his cologne and the aroused heat of his body.

Was it that, with its powerful but subtle message of male sexuality, that was turning her boneless with aching longing for him even while her mind was telling her that she should resist him and that this was no way for her to behave if she truly wanted him to believe what she had said?

She should say something, tell him to stop; tell him that there was no point in this for either of them. But she knew that she wouldn't, just as she knew that some deep-rooted female part of her wanted this show of male dominance from him wanted her own sense of fierce surging excitement, wanted and needed the pure, fierce searing heat of the mutual lust they had conjured up out of nowhere. She could quite easily have pushed past him. Emily knew, and she knew too that Marco would not try to stop her if she did. But the reality was that she didn't want to...The reality was that her body was possessed by an incendiary mix of anger and desire that took fire from Marcos determination to confront her with her own acceptance of his power to arouse her.

‘But that would be a lie.wouldn't it?' Marco challenged her softly as he continued his relentless sensual assault, his lips brushing the bare flesh of her throat in between each word, imprisoning her in her own wild arousal.

‘Wouldn't it?' he insisted as he slid his hand beneath her sweater and freed her breasts from the constriction of her bra. A low moan of unappeased longing bubbled in her throat as he fed her craving for his possession.

‘You want more?' he demanded, his voice thickening and softening.

‘No!' Emily lied. She could feel his hand cupping her breast and his fingertips stroking deliberately against her nipple again. She knew she couldn't hold out much longer against the dammed-up force of her own need. With a low sound of surrender, she reached blindly for him drawing his head down towards her own her lips parting for his kiss and the swift, exultant victory of his tongue.

She could feel the thick hardness of his manhood pressing against her body. In her minds eye shevisualised his naked body, familiar now after their years together, seeing behind her closed eyes the thick sheathing of smooth flesh over rigid muscle, where it rose from the dark silky thickness of hair. She could almost feel the smooth warmth of him so enticingly supple to her touch, and so responsive to the caress of her fingers and her mouth. Fresh longing seized her. Impetuously she reached down between their bodies to touch him spanning his length with the spread of her fingertips, and then stroking his thickness. A deep purr of satisfaction gathered in her throat as she felt him stiffen further and then pulse, becoming a moan of out-of-control urgency when she felt him tugging at the fastening of her skirt.

Not even in their early days together had she experienced this degree of intense need, sherecognised . It was so much bolder than anything she remembered feeling before; bolder, and fiercer and hungrier—the sexual desire of a woman who must be satisfied.

Thedemoralising fear that had in recent weeks sucked from her any delight in their intimacy was as easily sloughed off by their shared passion as were their clothes, unwanted encumbrances that prevented her from taking all that she could. Marco was driving both of them to that place where they had no choice other than to plunge into the turbulent flood of the maelstrom together.

Emilysfingers trembled over and tugged at his shirt buttons and trouser fastenings, herendeavours deliberately interrupted by him when he raked his teeth against the sensitive thrust of her nipple, causing her to gasp and then moan, unable to do anything other than give in to the intensity of the sensation he was inflicting on her. When pleasure was this intense, she thought frantically, it bordered on the almost unendurable. And yet she wouldn't have wanted it any other way wouldn't have wanted any other man wouldn't have been able to reach this lack of inhibition with anyone else.

‘You want me to stop?' Marco demanded. His breath cooled the aching flesh that had been tormented by his erotic caress, whilst the subtle touch of his fingertips continued to play on her nipple, increasing its dark, swollen call for the renewed heat of his mouth.

Emily couldn'tspeak, she could barely stand up any more. But she knew Marco knew she wanted no such thing. She ran her hands along his sweat-dampened naked torso, deliberately bending her head so that she could graze her tongue-tip along his skin and taste the tangy maleness of his flesh, whilst she breathed in his aphrodisiacal Marco-drenched scent. At times like this, just the smell of him was enough to make her go weak with lust.

The ache deep inside her tightened and burned with a heat that could only be slaked by the possession of Marcos hard flesh filling her and completing her. She could feel the small hungry ripples of sensation caused by her muscles as they tightened with the need to have him fill the empty, wanton place inside her.

‘Now.Marco.’ she urged him fiercely. ‘now!’

When he still waited, she looked up at him. She could see the dangerous look in his eyes, the darkness that said he was on the verge of wanting to punish her and that he was challenging her needing to force her to acknowledge his supremacy, his ability to control her desire, arouse it and then satisfy it. It was too late for her to try to play him at his own game and deny him his triumph by pretending that she didn't want him. Her own need was too great and too immediate. She would have to punish herself later for her weakness. Right now no price was too high to pay for the satisfaction her body craved. She had tried to resist...

‘Now!’ she repeated.

For a second, she thought he was going to refuse, but then he was reaching for her lifting her up so that she could wrap her legs tightly round him whilst he thrust firmly into her in one long slow, deliberate movement that made her shudder violently. As he withdrew her muscles tightened, protesting around him not wanting to let him go and were then rewarded for their adoration by the almost mind-altering sensation of his second, stronger, deeper thrust. The sensitive nerve-endings in her flesh wept with joy at the intensity. Instinctively Emily drew in her muscles around himsavouring the sensation.

She could feel his hot breath in her ear the tip of his tongue tracing the curls of flesh. She felt his teeth against the sensitive cord in her neck. Her whole body was being possessed by a pleasure so heightened she thought she might die from it.

‘Marco...’ She moaned his name as a plea, striking a solitary note of female praise as he thrust deeper, harder and faster now.

‘Mmm...more. Marco...morel' she urged him gasping out aloud in delight as he obeyed her and his movements became fast and rhythmic. Then he drove them to their climaxes, and she was left so boneless and weak that she collapsed helplessly against him trembling in the aftermath.

The heat of the fury that had driven him was cooling on his sweat-slicked skin.Where he should have felt satisfaction and triumph at making Emily acknowledge that he could still arouse her. Marco could only feel a dark sense of stark awareness that he had crossed over a boundary he should not have breached. In forcing Emily to give in to the desire he had summoned in her he'd also forcedhimself to acknowledge his need for her. A fleeting need, brought on by his justifiable anger, he assured himself, that was all! It meant nothing in the broader picture of his life.

‘I thinkwe both needed that.' he told her coolly, and perhaps it was a fitting end to our relationship, a tribute to the mutual attraction that brought us together.'

Emily couldn't believe what she had done—and what she might have betrayed. She couldn't bear the thought of Marco thinking now how stupid she had been, maybe guessing she had dreamed that, one day he might fall in love with her as she had done with him. A wave of irritation surged through her—not against him but against herself. What a fool she had been, deliberately blinding herself to reality and fixating on something that her common sense could have warned her wouldn't possibly happen.

If Marco had really loved her he would have told her so. But he hadn't, and he never would. She had deceived herself just as much as Marco had deceived her and if anything her crime against herself was even greater than his. The fierce turbulent, almost torrid heat of their lovemaking had subsided now and her anger had burned down into stark bleakness and grinding pain. Her dreams had been swept aside, shown to be pitifully worthless. Marco was a stranger to her but no more so than she felt at this moment she was to herself.

‘Mutual attraction then, but perhaps mutual contempt now.' she answered Marco pointedly.'I'm not the naive girl that I was when we first became lovers. Marco.'

‘Meaning what?' he challenged her frowning.

‘Meaning that I've learned enough about sex from you to know that it isn't always used asan expression of positive emotions. It's common knowledge these days that couples on the verge of splitting up do sometimes use sex as a way of venting their negative feelings. Some couples say that they had the best sex of their relationship when the emotional side of it was dying. Of course I know that we aren't emotionally intimate with one another.’

What she meant of course. Emily admitted,was that Marco had never been emotionally close with her because he didn't want to be whilst she had had to struggle not to be close when shed wanted to be. ‘But I think both of us would accept that the break-up of any relationship—even one like ours—does bring things to the surface that aren't easy to accept.'

Marco's frown deepened. She was now being far more matter-of-fact about their relationship ending than he had expected—and he didn't like that! But he was being ridiculous. He should feel very relieved that she was being so sensible, especially after her earlier, uncharacteristic outburst...

عرض البوم صور نيارااا  
قديم 22-11-07, 12:27 AM   المشاركة رقم: 108
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

FROM his seat on the royal jet.Marco looked down onto his family's private runway atNiroli's airport to where a group of formally dressed courtiers and officials were waiting to greet him. The ostrich-feather plumes of their dress hats fluttered in the breeze as they stood straight-backed, ignoring the heat of the sun. Marcos lips twisted with irony at the thought of the heavily gold-braided,bemedalled uniform that his grandfather had sent him along with strict instructions that he must wear it when he landed and was greeted by the courtly welcoming committee.

In fact, the uniform, appropriate for the rank of Lieutenant Colonel inNirolis ancient Royal Guard, was lying in its leather dress-trunk in the planes hold, whilst he wore his own handmadeSaville Row suit. His grandfather wouldn't be pleased. But Marco intended to let him.and the court, know right from the word go that he would make his own decisions andjudgements and he wouldn't allow them to force theirs on him.

Emily would have appreciated andunderstood his decision, though she would probably have laughed gently, and teased him as well into wearing that undeniably magnificent, beautifully tailored uniform. Emily...he tried to thrust the thought of her away from him along with the erotic mental image of her alongside him in his bed that was forming inside his head, but it was too late; she was there, smiling at him wanting him as he ached for her. What the hell was this?

He stood up so abruptly that the youngNiroli air force aide-de-camp, who'd been sent to escort him home, was caught off guard, and his own attempt to get to his feet before Marco was severely hampered by his ceremonial sword. The red-faced young man saluted as he semi-stuttered. ‘Highness, if you wish to have more time in order to prepare,then please allow me—'

‘No. I am ready.' Marco told the aide shortly and then relented when he saw his anxious expression. It was not the lad's fault—and he was little more than a boy. A scion of one ofNiroli's foremost titled families. Marco had chosen to be the man he was rather than the grandson his grandfather wanted him to be. Damn Emily for pursuing him like this, insinuating herself into his thoughts where she now had no right to be! Her abrupt departure from his apartment had decided him that he should leave London earlier than he had originally planned—much to his grandfather's delight.

Marco suspected the old king would not have been so cock-a-hoop over his victory if he had known that it owed less to his own power than to his grandson’s loss of his bed-mate.

The aide-de-camp, who was carrying his own plumed hat as protocol demanded, stood beside his king-to-be as the doors to the royal jet were opened. He bowed as Marco walked past him and stepped out onto the gangway steps and intoNirolis sunshine. Just for a few seconds. Marco stood motionless and ramrod-straight at the top of the steps, not because he was the islands future ruler, but because he was one of its returning sons.

He had almost forgotten the unique scent of sunshine and sea mimosa and lemons, all of which hit him on a surge of hot wind. Not even the strong smell of jet fuel and tarmac could detract from them, and Marco felt emotion sting his eyes: this was his home, his country, and the crowds he could see lining the wide straight road that ran from the airport to the main town were his people. Many of them had not had the benefit of being part of a wider, modern world, but he intended to change that. He would give toNirolis young the opportunities hisgrandfathers old-fashioned rule had denied them. Determinedly Marco stepped forward. The waiting military band broke intoNirolis national anthem and the waiting officials removed their hats and bowed their heads. Their faces were familiar to Marco, although more wrinkled and lined than he remembered—the faces of old men.

As he reached his grandfathers most senior minister the elderly gentleman placed his hands on Marcos arms, greeting him with a traditional continental embrace. His voice shook with emotion and Marco could see that beneath his proud, stern expression and the determinedly upright stance there was a very aged, tired man who probably would have preferred to spend his last years with his grandchildren than doing his kings bidding. Tactfully Marco adjusted his own walking pace to that of the courtiers surrounding him as they escorted him unsteadily to the waiting open-topped royal limousine.

At least his grandfather hadn't sent the coronation carriage to collect him. Marco reflected ruefully; its motion was sickeningly rocky and its velvet padded seats unpleasantly hard.

This should be his moment of triumph, the public endorsement of the strength he had gained in becoming his own man. Soon the power of the Royal House ofNiroli would become his.and he would step into his grandfathers shoes andfulfil his destiny. So why didn't he feel more excited, and why was there this sense of emptiness within him this sense of loss, of something missing?

The cavalcade started to move, the waiting crowds began to cheer, children clutchingNiroii flags and leaning dangerously into the road, the better to see him. Marco lifted his hand and began to wave. The cool air-conditioned luxury of the limo protected him from the midday heat.But what about the people? They must be feeling the heat, Marco. As clearly as though she were seated at his side, he could hearEmilys gently reproachful voice. Angrily he banished it. The limousinetravelled a few more yards and then Marco reached forward, rapping on the glass separating him from the driver and an armed guard.

‘Highness?’ the guard queried anxiously.

‘Stop the car!’ Marco ordered. ‘I want to get out and walk.’ As he reached to open his door the guard looked horrified. ‘Sire.’ he protested, ‘the king...it may not be safe.’

Marco’s eyebrow rose.‘Knowing my grandfather as I do. I cannot imagine he has not had ordered that plain-clothes security men be posted amongst the crowd. Besides, these are our people, not our enemy.’

As they saw Marco stepping out of the limousine the crowd fell silent. At no time in living memory had their ruler done anythingso informal as walk amongst them. Marco shook the gnarled hands of working men, his smile causing pretty girls to glow with excitement and older women to feel a reawakening frisson of their youths.

One aged woman pushed her way through the people to reach him. Marco could see from her traditional peasant costume that she came from the mountains ofNiroli . Her back was bent from long years spent working in the orange groves and vineyards that covered their lower slopes, her face as brown and lined as a wrinkled walnut. But there was still a fiery flash of pride in her dark eyes and as she held out to him the clumsy leather purse she had obviously made herself Marco felt as though a giant hand were gripping his heart in a tight vice.

‘Highness, please take this humble gift,' she begged him. May it always be kept full, just like the coffers and the nurseries of the House ofNiroli .: It was plain that the old peasant could ill afford to give himanything. Indeed. Marco felt he should be the one to give something to her. So he was not surprised to see the angry, hostile glower on the face of the shabbily dressed youth at her side.

‘This is your grandson?’ Marco asked her as he thanked her for her gift.

‘Aye.heis.sire , and he shames me with his sullen looks and lack of appreciation for all that we have here on our island.’

‘That is because we have nothing!' the youth burst out angrily, his face now seemingly on fire with emotion. We have nothing, whilst others have everything! We come to the town, and we see foreigners with their expensive yachts and their fancy clothes. Our king bends over backwards to welcome them, whilst we mountain-dwellers do not even have electricity. They look at us as though we are nothing, and that is because, to our king, we are nothing!’

Suddenly, like a cloud passing over the sun the mood of the crowd gathered around Marco had changed. He could see the anger in the faces of the group of rough-looking, poorly dressed young men who had joined the outspoken youth. The first of hisgrandfathers security guards rushed to protect Marco, but very firmly he stepped between them, saying clearly. ‘It is good to know that the people ofNiroli are able to speak their minds freely to me. This issue of getting electricity to the more remote parts of our island is one that has. Iknow, taxed His Majesty's thoughts for a long time.’ Marco put his hand on the angry youths shoulder, drawing him closer to him whilst he gave the hovering guards a small dismissive shake of his head. He could see the grateful tears in the old peasant woman's eyes.

My grandson speaks without thinking.' she told him huskily. But at heart, he is a good boy and as devoted to the king as anyone’

The youth’s friends were hurrying him away and Marco allowed himself to be escorted back to his limo. Once inside, herealised that he was still holding the old woman's carefully made purse. There was anger in his heart now pressing down on him like an unwanted heavy weight.Niroli's royal family was the richest in the world and yet some of its subjects were living lives of utmost poverty. He could well imagine how upset and shocked Emily would have been if she had witnessed what had just happened. The leather purse felt soft and warm to his touch.

He was the one who should be giving to his people, not the other way around. His time away from the island had changed him more than he hadrealised . Marco acknowledged, and somehow he didn't think his grandfather was going to like what he had in mind...

Huddled into an armchair in the sitting room of her small Chelsea house, a prettily embroidered throw wrapped around her like a comfort blanket.Emily let the full rip-tide of her anguish take her over. What was the point in trying to fight it or escape it? The reality was that Marco, no. Prince Marco, soon to be King Marco, she corrected herself miserably, had gone, not just from her life, but from Britain itself, to return to his home, his throne and his people. Ultimately her place in his life would be filled by someone else.

She gave a small low cry as more pain seized her and then reminded herself angrily that the man she loved did not exist; he had been a creation of her own imagination and his deceit. Everything they had shared had been based on lies; every time he had held her or touched her she had been giving the whole of herself to him whilst he had been withholding virtually everything of his true self.

But even knowing this, as the numbing shock of her discovery of the truth rose and retreated, she was left with theagonising reality that she still loved him.

As much as she despised herself for not being able to cease wanting him because she knew just how much he had deceived her, her self-contempt could not drive out her love.

What was he doing now? Was he thinking at all of her? Missing her? Stopit, stop it, all her inner protective instincts demanded in agony. She must not do this to herself! She must accept that he had gone, and that she had to find a way of living without him and the comfort of being able to look back and know that they had shared something very special. It was over, they were over, and her pride was demanding that she accept that and get on with her life.

She was as much a fool for letting him into her thoughts now as she had been for letting him into her life. There was one thing for sure: he would not be thinking about her. He would not have given her a single thought since she had walked out of his apartment, following that dreadful discovery and the bitterly corrosive row that had ended their relationship

What a total fool she had been for deluding herself into thinking that he would ever return her love...

عرض البوم صور نيارااا  
قديم 22-11-07, 12:51 AM   المشاركة رقم: 109
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

SO MARCO, what is this that the Chief of Police tells me about your welcome parade? Aboutyour being threatened by some wretched insurrectionist from the mountains?Probably one of theViallis . Mind you, you have only yourself to blame. Had you not taken it into your head to so rashly get out of the car it would not havehappened. You must remember that you are my heir andNirolis next king. It is not wise to court danger.’

There wasn't any real danger. The boy—for he was little more than that—was simply voicing—‘

‘His hostility to the throne!’King Giorgio interrupted Marco angrily.

His grandfather had aged since he had last seen him but the old patriarch still had about him an awesome aura of power. Marco admitted ruefully. The problem was that it no longer particularly impressed Marco—he had power of his own now power that came from living his life in his own way. He knew that his grandfather sensed this in him and that it irked him. That was why he insisted on taking his grandson to task over the incident at his welcoming parade.

‘My feeling was that the boy was more frustrated and resentful than hostile.’ Marco watched his grandfather. There was a larger issue at stake here than the boys angry words, one which Marco felt was essential, but which he knew wasn't something his grandfather would be happy to discuss.

Nevertheless.Marco had been doing some investigation of his own and what he had discovered had highlighted potential problems withinNiroli that needed addressing before they developed into much more worrying conflicts.

The boy was complaining about the lack of an electricity supply to his village. He resents the fact that visitors to our country have benefits that some of our own people do not. Marco held his ground as hisgrandfathers fist came crashing down on the desk between them.

‘I will not listen to this foolish nonsense. Tourists bring money into the country and naturally, we have to lure them here by providing them with the kind of facilities they are used to.’

‘Whilst some amongst our people go without them?’ Marco challenged him coolly. ‘Angry young men do sometimes behave rashly. But surely it is our duty to equip our subjects with what they need to move into the twenty-first century? Our schoolchildren cannot learn properly without access to computers, and if we deprive them of the ability to do so then we will be maintaining an underclass within the heart of our country.’

‘You dare to lecture me on how to rule?’ the king bellowed.You who turned your back onNiroli to live a life of your own choosing in London?’

'You're the one who has summoned me back.Nonno.' Marco reminded him.lowering his voice and deliberately using his childhood pet name for his grandfather in an attempt to soften the old mans mood. It was easy sometimes to forget his grandfather was ninety, yet still immoveable about what the right thing was forNiroli and its people. Marco didn't want to upset the king too much.

‘Because I had no other choice.'Giorgio growled. You are my direct heir. Marco, for all that you choose to behave like a commoner, rather than a member of the ruling House ofNiroli . At least you had the sense to leave that...that floozy you were living with behind when you returned home.'

Anger flashed in Marco's eyes. It was typical of his grandfather to have found out as much about his private life in London as he could. It also infuriated him that Giorgio should refer to Emily in that way anddismiss their relationship.

Worse, it felt as though, somehow, his grandfather had touched a raw place within him that he didn't want to admit existed, never mind be reminded about. Because, even though he didn't want to own up to it he was missing Emily. Marco shrugged the thought aside. So what if he was? Wasn't it only natural that his body, deprived of the sexual pleasure it had shared with hers, should ache a little?

As to what we agreed, it was simply that I should initially return toNiroli alone.' Marco pointed out.

Immediately the king's anger returned. What do you mean, "initially"?'

When Marco didn't answer him the old man bellowed. You will not bring her here. Marco! I will not allow it. You are my heir, and you have a position to maintain. The people—'

Marco knew that he should reassure his grandfather and tell him he had no intention of bringing Emily toNiroli but instead he said coolly. The people, our people, will. I am sure, have more important things to worry about than the fact that I have a mistress—things like the fact that ten per cent of them do not have electricity.'

‘You are trying to meddle in things that are not your concern.' the king told him sharply. Take care. Marco, otherwise, you will havepeople thinking that you are more fitted to be a dissident than a leader. To rule, you must command respect and in order to do that you must show a strong hand. The people are your children and need to look up to you as their father, as someone wiser than them.’

This was an issue on which he and his grandfather would never see eye to eye. Marco knew...

‘Emily, why don't you call it a day and go home? No one else will come into the shop now and you don't have any more client appointments. I know you hate me keeping on about this, but you really don't look at all well. I can lock up the premises for you.'

Emily forced herself to give her assistant an I'm-all-right smile.Jemma wasn't wrong, though she didn't like the fact that the girl had noticed how unwell she looked, because she didn't want to have to answer questions about the cause. It's kind of you to offer to do that.Jemma .' she answered, but...'

But you're missing Marco desperately, and you don't want to go back to an empty house?'Jemma suggested gently, her words slicing through the barriers Emily had tried so desperately to maintain.

She could feel betraying tears burning the backs of her eyes. She had tried so very hard to pretend that she didn't mind that she and Marco had split up but it was obvious that her assistant hadn't been deceived.

It had to end given Marcos royal status.' she toldJemma trying to keep her voice light. Initially, she had worried about revealing the truth of Marco's real identity. But in the end she'd had no need to do so because her assistant had seen one of many articles appearing in the press about Marco's return toNiroli ; most of them had been accompanied by photographs of his cavalcade and the crowd waiting to welcome him. ‘I just wish that he had told me the truth about himself.Jemma.' Emily said in a low voice, unable to conceal her hurt.

‘I can understand that.'Jemma agreed. But according to what I've read. Marco came over here incognito because he wanted to prove himself in his own right. He had already done that by the time he met you. Yet I suppose he could hardly tell you his real identity—not only would it have been difficult for him to just turn round and say."Oh by the way. perhaps I ought to tell you that I'm a prince." he most probably wanted you to value him for himself, not for his title or position.'

Emily could see the logic ofJemma's argument, and she knew it was one that Marco himself would have used—had they ever got to the stage of discussing the issue.

‘Marco didn't tell me because he didn't want to tell me’ she retorted, trying to harden her heart against its betraying softening. ‘To him, I was just a...a...temporary bed-mate—a diversion he could enjoy, before he left me to get on with the really serious business of his life and return toNiroIi .’

‘I think I know how you must be feeling.’Jemma allowed, ‘but I did read in one article that it wasn't until the death of his parents in an accident that Marco became the next in line to the throne. I'm sure he didn't tell you because he assumed he would continue to live in London with you anonymously.'

‘I meant nothing to him.'

I can't believe that. Emily. You always seemed so happy together, and so well suited.'

‘It's pointless talking about it or him now. It's over.'

‘Is it? I can't help thinking that there's a lot of unfinished business between the two of you.'Jemma told her softly. ‘I know from what you told me that you left the apartment virtually as soon as you discovered the truth. You must have still been in shock when that happened, and my guess is that Marco must have been equally shocked, although for different reasons.’

‘Reasons like being found out you mean, and resenting me being the one to end our relationship, not him?’ Emily asked her bitterly.

‘So you wouldn't be interested if he got in touch with you?:Jemmaprobed quietly.

‘That isn't going to happen.' But she knew from the look in her assistant's eyes thatJemma had guessed her weakness and how much a foolish, treacherous part of her still longed for him.

‘Be fair to yourself. Emily.'Jemma told her. You and Marco have history together, and there are still loose ends for you that need proper closure, questions you need to ask and answers Marco needs to give you. A poisoned wound can't heal.' she pointed out wisely. And until you get that poison of your break-up out of your system, you won't heal.'

‘I'm fine.' Emily lied defensively.

‘No. you aren't.'Jemma responded firmly. ‘Just look at yourself. You aren't eating, you're losing weight and you obviously aren't happy.'

‘It’s just this virus, that's all. I can’t seem to throw it off properly.’ Emily told her. But she knew thatJemma wasn't deceived.

Emily was still thinking about her conversation withJemma more than two hours later as she wandered aimlessly round her showroom, pausing to straighten a line of already perfectly straight sample swatches.Jemma had been right about her not wanting to return to her empty house and correct too about how much she was missing Marco.

It had been all very well telling herself that he had lied to her and that she was better off without him. The reality was very different: the empty space he d left in her life had been taken over by the unending misery of living without him. He had only been gone just a short time, but already she had lost count of the number of times every night she woke up reaching out for him in her bed only to be filled with anguish when the reality that he wasn't there hit her once more. No matter how hard she worked, she couldn't fill her mind with enough things to block out the knowledge that Marco had left; that she wouldn't be going home to him; that never again would he hold her, or touch her or kiss her; never ever again.

It was over, and somehow she must find a way to rebuild her life, although right now she had no idea how she was going to accomplish that. To make matters worse, asJemma had already commented, she was losing weight and felt unable to eat properly. Emily had put it down to a flu bug she had picked up earlier in the year. She just couldn't seem to get rid of it.

Allied to which, she had an even nastier heartache bug. Emilyrecognised . Did Marco think of her at all now he was living his newlife. Emily wondered miserably, or was he far too busy planning his future?A future that was ultimately, and surely, bound to include a wife. Pain seized her ripping at her all herdefences , leaving her exposed to the reality of what loving him really meant.

Marco...Marco...How could this have happened to her? How could she have avoided falling in love with him? What was he doing right now? Who was he with?His grandfather?His family? She mustn't do this to herself. Emily warned herself tiredly. It served no purpose, other than to reinforce what she already knew, and that was that she loved a man who did not love her. She reached for her coat. She might as well go home.

‘What is this I hear about you returning to London? I will not allow you to leaveNiroli to go to London. What possible reason could you have for wanting to be there?'

Marco had to struggle to stop himself from responding in kind to hisgrandfathers angry interrogation.

‘You know why I need to return. I have certain business matters to attend to there.’ he answered suavely instead.

‘I do not permit it.’

‘No? That is your choice. Grandfather, but I still intend to go. You see. I do not need your permission.’

Obstinately they eyed each other, two alpha males who knew that, according to the law of the jungle, only one of them could truly hold the reins of power. Marco had no intention of allowing his grandfather to dominate him. He knew well enough that once he let him have the upper hand, the king would treat him with contempt. Giorgio was the kind of man who would rather die with his sword in his hand, so to speak, than allow a younger rival to take it from him.

The truth was that Marco could have dealt with the business that was taking him to the UK from the island, and that, in part, his decision to go to London in spite of his grandfathers objections had been made publicly to underline his own determination and status. It was more than two weeks since he had first arrived onNiroli and there hadn't been a single day when he and his grandfather hadn't clashed like two Titans. Every attempt he had made to talk to Giorgio about doing something to help the poorer inhabitants of the island had been met with a furious tirade about what a waste of money this would be and a threat to royal rule.

Marco was determined that electricity should be made available to those living in the more remote villages, and his grandfather was equally adamant that he was not prepared to sanction it.

‘Very well then.I shall pay for it myself.’ Marco had told him grimly. But the reality was that things were not as simple as that: the topography of the mountain region meant that they would need to bring in expert outside help, and it was of courseVialli country.

Marco suspected that King Giorgio was being difficult for the sake of being difficult, more than anything else. He could also admit to himself that his years in London running his own life and not having to worry about consulting anyone about his decisions was now making it very difficult for him to conform to the role of king-in-waiting. He was very much the junior partner in this new relationship. He started to walk away.

'Marco, I trust that this visit of yours to London does not have anything to do with that woman you were bedding?'

Marco swung round and looked at his grandfather, his voice flattened by the weight of his fury as he demanded. ‘And if it does?'

‘Then I forbid you to see her’ his grandfather told him fiercely. The future King ofNiroli does not bed some commoner—a divorcee, with no pedigree and no money.’

‘No one tells me who I can and cannot take to my bed.Grandfather, not even you.’

Marco didn't wait to hear what the older man might say in reply. Instead he strode out of the room, fighting to dampen down the heat of the fury burning along his veins. The bright sunshine that had warmed the air earlier that day was turning to vivid dusk as he left the palace. He had refused the offer of a suite of rooms within its walls, preferring instead to stay in the nearby villa he had inherited from his parents. His grandfather hadn't been too pleased about that, but Marco had refused to give in. It was very important to him that he retained his privacy and independence.

However, right now it wasn't the villa he was heading for as he climbed into his personal car. He was bound for the airport, and a flight to London, despite hisgrandfathers opposition. How dared Giorgio attempt to tell him that he couldn't sleep with Emily? He glanced at the clock on the dashboard of his car. It would be early evening in London, just after six o'clock. Emily would most probably have left her shop and be on her way home.

Emily! It hadn't needed hisgrandfathers mention of her to bring her into his thoughts. Indeed, it had surprised and disconcerted him to discover just how much she had been there since they had parted. It was only because he was discovering that he wasn't enjoying sleeping alone, he assured himself. The fact that Emily was so constantly in his thoughts was simply his mind playing tricks and had no personal relevance for him.

He turned his thoughts back to his grandfather; despite his frustration with the older mans arrogant and domineering attitude, he was very aware that the king was not in the best of health. He must continue to temper his reaction to him as much as he could. But it wasn't easy.

‘Emily, why don't you go and see your doctor?'Jemmasuggested,her face shadowed with concern as she studied Emily's wan complexion.

‘There's no need for that. It's as I've said before—it's just that virus hanging around.' Emily explained tiredly. The doctor will only tell me to take someparacetamol , and that it's bound to wear off soon.'

'You've been sick every morning thisweek, and now you've left your lunch. You look exhausted.’

‘I need a holiday, some sunshine to perk me up a bit that's all.' Emily replied lightly. She didn't want to continue this discussion, but she didn't want to hurtJemma's feelings either; she knew her assistant was genuinely concerned about her.

‘You certainly need something—or someone,'Jemma agreed forthrightly, leaving Emily regretting that she had ever allowed her guard to slip and admit that she was missing Marco.

‘Why don't I pop across the road and bring you back a sandwich and a cup of coffee?’Jemma suggested.

‘Coffee?’Emily shuddered with revulsion. The very thought made her feel nauseous. ‘I couldn't face it.’ she protested. Just thinking about the smell makes me feel sick.’

‘I think you're right about you needing a holiday.’Jemma told her firmly.

Emily gave her a forced smile. The truth was what she needed and wanted more than anything else was Marco—Marco's arms—to hold her close.Marcos body next to hers in bed at night and, most of all, Marco's love, and the knowledge that it would last a lifetime. But she wasn't going to be given any of those. She hadn'trealised just how hard it would be for her after their relationship had ended.

The emotional pain she was suffering now was almost unendurable; it tore through her emotions like a fever in her blood, burning up her immunity. Every night when she went to bed she told herself that it couldn't get any worse and that soon she would start to feel better. But every morning when she woke up it was worse. She hated herself for wanting him like this after the way he had deceived her. However, hating herself couldn't stop her from loving him...

The business that had brought Marco to London had been concluded, and the first consignment of the generators he'd bought at his own expense were already on their way to the airport to be flown out by a cargo plane toNiroli . He had been on his way back to his hotel when, for no logical reason he could find, he had leaned forward and told the cab driver he had changed his mind, then given him the address of Emily's small shop in Chelsea. He didn't owe her anything; she had refused to let him fully explain to her that his decision to conceal his real identity had been one he had made long before he had met her. Sleeping dogs were best left to lie and anyway, their relationship would have had to end sooner or later.

Marco’s purchase of the generators would infuriate his grandfather, as would the knowledge that he was seeing Emily, he acknowledged as he paid the cab fare and looked along the pretty Chelseastreet basking in afternoon sunshine. So was that why he was here?To infuriate his grandfather? Marcos mouth curled in sardonic awareness. The days when he had been immature enough to need to infuriate the man he had seen as an unwanted authority figure were long gone.

No. he didn't want to upset his grandfather at all. But he was not quite ready to let go or move on. Therefore a little reinforcement to him of the fact that Marco wasn't going to be dictated to wouldn't do any harm. Plus, he liked the idea of dealing with two separate issues at a single stroke—Emily had walked out on him without giving him the chance to explain his situation to her rationally. She owed him that opportunity and his pride demanded that she retract the contemptuously angry insults she had thrown at him.

That was what had brought him here: his own pride. And no one not his grandfather, and certainly not Emily herself, was going to stop him from seeing her and demanding that his pride was satisfied.And his body, which needed satisfaction so desperately? Any woman could provide him with that! Marco dismissed the throb that was increasing with every step that took him closer to Emily.

No way would he ever allow one woman to dominate his senses to that extent. He could see into the window of her shop-cum-showroom from where he was standing. The simple elegance of the set Emily had created was both immediately *******ing and soothing on his eye. She had a remarkable, indeed an inspired, gift for transforming the dull and utilitarian. HisNiroli villa could certainly do with her skills!

Marco began to frown. Whilst he had to admit how poorly the decor of his villa compared with that of the London apartment Emily had decorated for him. He could well imagine hisgrandfathers reaction if he were to return to the island with her at his side, claiming that he needed an interior designer. His grandfather wouldn't believe him for one moment and he would think that Marco was deliberately flouting his orders. Perhaps he should flout them in this way. Marco reflected ruefully; it would bea sure and certain way of making his grandfather understand that he wasn't going to be pushed around. AndEmilys presence onNiroli and in his life wouldn't directly impact on their subjects.

The more he thought about it the more Marco could see the benefit to himself of Emily's temporary and brief presence on the island as a sharp warning to his grandfather not to trespass into his privacy. Certainly in the unlikely event of Emily being willing to return toNiroli with him he would want her to share his bed. He would be a fool not to given the level of his current sexual hunger. Was that really why he was here now? Not solely because of his pride, but because he still wanted her too?

No!

He was already pushing open the shop door, but then he paused, half inclined to turn round and walk away just to prove how unfounded that motivation was. However, it was too late for him to change his mind: Emily had seen him.

She was sitting behind a desk talking with her assistantJemma and the first thing Marco noticed was how much weight she had lost and how pale and fragile she looked.Because of him? It shocked him to discover that a part of him wanted to believe it was because she was missing him. Why? Why should he feel like this when, in the past, with other women, he had been only too pleased to see them move on to a new partner after he had broken up withthem. But in the past he hadn’t continued to want those other women, had he?

He pushed his thoughts to one side, watchingEmilys eyes widen as she looked up and saw him the blood rushing to her face, turning it a deep pink. He saw her lips frame his name. She pushed back her chair to stand up and then he saw her sway and start to crumple, as though her body were no more than one of the swathes of fabric draped over the back of another chair nearby. That deep pink glow had receded from her cheeks, leaving her so pale that she looked almost bloodless.

He reacted immediately and instinctively, pushing his way through the pieces of furniture, reaching her just in time to hear her saying huskily. ‘It’s all right. I'm not going to faint.’ before she did exactly that.

Through the roaring blur of sick dizziness Emily could hear voices:Jemma’s sharp with anxiety. Marco’s harsher than she wanted it to be their words, moving giddily in and out of one another, weaving through the darkness she was trying to free herself from. Then she felt Marcos arms tightening around her holding her and she exhaled on a small sigh of relief, knowing she was safe and that she didn't have to battle on alone any more. Gratefully she let the darkness take her as she slid into a faint.

‘What the hells going on?' Marco askedJemma abruptly. Any idiotic thought he might have entertained that there was something ego-boosting about Emily’s reaction to him had disappeared now banished by hisrealisation of just how fragile she was. In all the time they had been together he had never once known her faint, or even say that she thought she might be going to which made it all the more shocking that she had done so now.

‘I wish I knew.’Jemma admitted. ‘What I do know is that she hasn't been eating properly. She says it’s because of that flu bug she had earlier in the year. She just can’t seem to throw it off. She isn't the only one of course. I read in a newspaper the other day that many people are still suffering from its after-effects. The health authorities say that the best cures are rest and sunshine to build up the immune system. Emily’s admitted as much herself, although I can’t see her taking a holiday. I'm so glad you're here. I've been really worried about her.'

‘Will you both please stop talking about me as though I don't exist? I'm all right...'

The blackness was receding and with it her nausea. She was sitting on a chair—Marco must have put her there, and no doubt he was the one who had pushed her head down towards her knees as well. She turned her head slightly and saw that he was standing next to her. So close to her in fact, that she could easily have reached out and touched him. Weak tears stung her eyes, causing her to make a small anguished sound of protest.

‘Emily?' She could feel Marco's hand on her shoulder, her flesh responding to its familiar warmth, weirdly both soothed and excited by it. The hardness of his voice lacerated both her pride and her heart. This was not how she would have wanted them to meet for the first time after their split; she must seem so vulnerable and needy, virtually forcing Marco to step in and manage things. Fate wasn't being very kind to her at the moment, she reflected wearily.

She held her breath as Marco crouched down beside her, struggling to lift her head and fight off the swimming sensation within it. She would have given a lot for him not to have seen her like this, not to have witnessed her humiliating loss of consciousness.

‘There's no need to fuss. I'm fine.' she repeated, sounding as steady as she could.

‘Don't listen to her. Marco. She isn't all right at all. She's hardly eating and when she does, she's sick.'

'Jemma!'Emily warned sharply.

‘Jemmais hardly breaking the Official Secrets Act.' Marco defended her assistant dryly. ‘After all she hasn't told me anything I can't see for myself. And, besides, there's no reason why I shouldn't know, is there?'

None, except her pride and her aching heart. Emily admitted inwardly. And of course, those wouldn't matter to Marco, ‘I don't know what you are doing here.Your Highness’, she addressed him deliberately underlining his title.

He couldn't just walk away and leave her like this Marco decided. So what was he going to do? His return flight was already scheduled for later this evening. Emily wasn't his responsibility. She was an adult. There was no good cause for him to involve himself here. But another voice deep inside him told him it was too late for such arguments. He had already made his decision.

‘I came to see you because I've got a business proposition to put to you.' he told Emily levelly. He could see her eyes widening with confusion and disbelief. She was lifting her hand to her head, as though she couldn't take in what he was saying. Seeing her look so thin and unwell touched an unfamiliar chord inside him which he crushed down the instant he felt it.

Emily's head was aching painfully. She was finding it hard enough to grasp that Marco was actually here, never mind anything else. Her thoughts were in complete disarray. She couldn't really comprehend what he was saying. It was difficult enough for her to focus simply on stopping her heart from spinning and shaking her body with the force of its frantic beats, without having to think logically and calmly as well. It had upset her far more than she wanted to admit that the sight of him should have affected her to such an extent that she had collapsed.

Worryingly even now her senses were still clinging possessively to the memory of being held in his arms as he had caught her. Part of her the sensible part, she told herself firmly, wanted to put as much distance between them as she could, to protect herself from making it even more obvious just how intensely aware of him she was. Whilst the other part longed to be as intimately close to him as it was possible to be: body to body, skin to skin, mouth to mouth—heart to heart.

‘A business proposition?’ she repeated uncertainly. What exactly does that mean Marco? I'm an interior designer.’

‘Exactly.’Marco agreed, and a very good one.’

Marco was praising her? Flattering her? Why?she wondered suspiciously. It was totally out of character for him to behave like this.

Since it could be a while before I formally take over from my grandfather, instead of moving into the palace and being cooped up in a suite of rooms there. Marco told her. ‘I’ve moved into a villa I inherited from my parents. It’s in the old part of the town and it’s badly in need ofmodernisation . I want a designer who knows what she's doing and. just as important, one who knows my taste.'

‘It took several seconds for the full meaning of what he was saying to sink in. But once it had. Emily could hardly conceal her disbelief.

‘Are you saying that you want to commission me to be that designer?’ she asked Marco faintly.

‘Yes why not?’ Marco confirmed.

‘Why not?:Emily stared at him as her heart lurched crazily into her ribs. ‘Marco, we were lovers, and now our relationship is over. You must see that I can’t just let you commission me as your designer as though everything that took place between us never happened.’

‘Of course not.Emily. You never let me explain properly to you why I didn't tell you aboutNiroli or my role there.’ Out of the corner of her eye, Emily could seeJemma discreetly edging out of the room to go into the stock room, closing the door after her to give them some privacy.

Emily waited, feeling helpless and weak. She was her own worst enemy, she knew that. She shouldn't even be thinking of listening to him instead of sitting here desperate for every second she could spend with him.

‘As a boy I had a very difficult relationship with my grandfather. I suppose I was something of a black sheep in his eyes. I resented the way he treated my father, who was too gentle to stand up to him and I swore that I would never let him control me the way he did my parents. I came to London determined to prove to him and to myself that I could be a success without the power of the Royal House ofNiroli . It was for that reason that I came here and stayed incognito, and no other’

'But when we met you had achieved that success Marco.’ Emily forced herself to remind him.

‘Yes but I had also grown used to the freedom of living and proving myself as plain MarcoFierezza . It seemed to me then that there was no need for me to live any other way—at least not for many years. My father was still alive and he would have succeeded my grandfather when the time came.’ Marco gave a small shrug. ‘I had no expectation of becoming king until I was much older.’

‘Maybe not.But you would surely have to marry appropriately and produce a son to whom you can pass on the crown.’ Emily couldn't help pointing out quietly.

Marco inclined his head. ‘Yes at some stage. One of the archaic rules that surround the Royal House ofNiroli is that the king cannot marry a woman who is divorced, or of ill repute. The challenge of finding such a paragon in today's world is such that I was more than happy to remain unmarried until necessity directed otherwise.’

Emily had to blink fast to disperse her threatening tears. Marco obviously had no idea just how hurtful his casual words were. It could never have occurred to him to think of her as someone he might love and want to commit to permanently. She should hate him for showing her how indifferent he was to her. Emily told herself, but somehow she felt too sick at heart to do it.

‘Look.’ Marco told her crisply. ‘I don't have much time, and since you obviously need to eat. Why don't we discuss this over an early dinner?'

Emily shuddered and shook her head in instant denial, her reaction making him frown. Shed always had a good appetite, having never needed to worry about what she ate. But now the fact that she had not been eating properly was plain to see in the sharp angles of her cheek-bones and her jaw.

‘Jemma'sright. Emily, you aren't looking after yourself properly.' Marco announced firmly. You need a break. I don't have time to argue with you. I've made up my mind. You're coming back toNiroli with me.'

Was this giddy, soaring feeling inside her really because she was so weak that she was glad that Marco had made up her mind for her? She was an independent woman, for heaven's sake, not some wilting Victorian heroine. She tried to wrench back some control of what was happening.

‘I can’t do that. Marco. For one thing, there's the business—‘

‘Of course you canEm . I can take care of things here.’Jemma piped up from the threshold of the storeroom. WithNiroli's back to her she mouthed to Emily. Go with him. You know you want to...Before announcing to both of them that time was getting on and she had to catch the post with some invoices.

Emily and Marco were alone in the shop now and she wished violently that she were not so all-consuminglyaware of him.

‘You can’t take me back with you. Marco. It wouldn't work. We were lovers—‘

‘And still could be. If that's what you want.' Marco interrupted softly.

Emily didn't dare look at him in case he saw the hope and the longing in her eyes. She struggled between her own helpless awareness of how much she still wanted him and the practicalities of the situation, protesting unsteadily.

‘Marco, we can't. Even if I wanted to...to go back, it isn't possible.'

‘Why not if it's what both of us want?’

What both of themwanted. Her heart lurched, joyously intoxicated by the pleasure of hearing the admission his words contained.

‘But what about the rules of the House ofNiroli ?Surely your grandfather wouldn't approve, or—‘

‘My grandfather doesn't rule my personal life.’ Marco responded with familiar arrogance.

She had no idea how to handle this. She shook her head. ‘ldon't know what to say.: she admitted. How long have I got?’

‘To share my bed?’Marco cut her off smoothly. 'I doubt that my grandfather is really ready to step down, for all that he says he is. We could have the summer together and then reassess the situation.’

Emily could feel her face burning.

‘That wasn't what I meant. When I said how long have Igot. I meant how much time will you give me to think things through before I make up my mind about your business proposition?’ she told him primly.Nothing else.

‘No time.Because you aren't going to think about it. You are coming back with me. Emily—you don't have a choice about that. What you can choose, though, of course, is in what capacity. My flight leaves at eight, so we've just got time to go back to your house and collect your passport, and anything else you might need. And time for me to show you exactly what both of us will be missing if you don't.' he told her giving her a look that was so explicitly sexual that her whole body burned with longing.

And then, as though he had said nothing remotely outrageous to her he continued smoothly. ‘I should warn you. The villa is going to tax even your creative eye. But I'm sure you'll enjoy the challenge.'

He was handing herher handbag and her coat, and somehow or other she was being ushered out of the door, helpless to stop what was happening and not really caring that she couldn't.

‘How many bedrooms does the villa have?' she managed to ask Marco slightly breathlessly, once they were outside on the street.

The look he gave her as he turned to her made her heart thud recklessly. ‘Five, but you will be sleeping in mine—with me.'

‘You're going to beNiroli's next king. Marco!' Emily felt bound to remind him. You can't live openly with me there as your mistress.'

‘No?' he challenged her softly.

عرض البوم صور نيارااا  
قديم 22-11-07, 12:53 AM   المشاركة رقم: 110
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

AT SOME stage during the drive fromNirolis airport, into which they had flown by private jet she must have half fallen asleep. Emilyrealised as the motion of the car ceased and she heard Marcos voice saying through the darkness of the cars interior. ‘We’re here.’

But not before she had seen the impressively straight road leading from the airport, with huge placards attached to lampposts bearing a photograph of Marco, a royal crown hovering severalcentimetres above his head and an ermine-edged cape around his shoulders. Underneath were Italian words, which she could just about translate as. ‘Welcome home.Your Highness’.

It made her shiver slightly now to think about them and to remember how she had felt at seeing them, how very aware they had made her of the gulf between her and Marcos royal status.

The emotional roller-coaster ride of the last few hours had taken its toll on her. Emily knew. It had drained her and left her feeling so exhausted that she barely had the energy to get out of the car, even though Marco opened the door for her and reached out his hand to support her. Just for a moment she hesitated and looked back into the car. Wishing she had not come? She pushed the thought aside and focused instead on the fact that the night air had that familiar scent of Mediterranean warmth that she remembered from her many holidays elsewhere in the region with Marco: a mingling of olfactory textures andtints, ripened by the days sunlight and then distilled by the soft darkness.

Emily breathed it in slowly, trying to steady her own nerves. She was sherealised , standing in the courtyard of what looked like a haphazard jumble of white stone walls, shuttered, arched windows and delicate iron balconies, illuminated by moonlight and lamplight from the surrounding buildings. The courtyard was shielded from the narrow street outside by a pair of heavy wooden doors, and asEmilys senses adjusted themselves to the darkness she could hear from somewhere the sound of water from a fountain falling into a basin.

‘It looks almost Moorish.’ she told Marco.

‘Yes it does, doesn't it?:Marco agreed with her. History does have it that the Moors were here at one time, and its here in the oldest part of the main town that you can see their architectural influence.Although there were alsoNirolians whotravelled as traders to and fromAndalucia in Spain, as well.' He was guiding her towards an impressive doorway as he spoke. Emily hesitated, knowing it was too late now to change her mind about the wisdom of allowing him to bring her here and yet not totally able to overcome her uncertainty.

‘You said that you're living here, instead of at the palace?’ Yes. Are you disappointed? If so I am sure I can arrange for us to have a suite of rooms there—:

‘Us?No...' Emily stopped him hurriedly. ‘Marco..’She stopped, and shivered slightly despite the warmth of the air. She was a fool to have allowed Marco to steamroller her into coming here so that he could have her back in his bed when she knew there was no real future for her with him. But why think of the future when she could have the present?an inner voice urged her.

Every day she could have with Marco, every hour, were things so precious she should reach out and grab them with both hands. Emily squeezed her eyes tightly closed and then opened them again. She wasn't used to this unfamiliar recklessness she seemed to have developed, with its blinkered refusal to acknowledge any-thing other than her determination to be with him. She did love him so much. Emily accepted, but it would be far better for her if she did not.

Fine, the reckless voice told her.So you spend your time trying to stop loving him, and I'll spend mine enjoying being with him. You can't leave—not now. What was this? She felt as though she were being torn in two. The sensible, protective part of her was telling her that it would be better if she spent her time here learning torecognise the huge differences between them; far better if she made herself focus, not on the fact that Marco was her lover and the man she loved, but on the fact that he wasNirolis future king and as such could never be hers. However, this new reckless part of her was insisting that nothing mattered more than squeezing the intimacy and the sweetness out of every extra minute she had with him.regardless of what the future might bring. How could she bring together two such opposing forces? She couldn't.

‘Letsgo inside.’ she heard Marco telling her ‘then I can introduce you to Maria andPietro who look after the villa for me’

Emily still hung back.

‘They are bound to talk about my being here.’

‘I expect they will, but why should that matter?’ Marco knew all too well that they would, and that their talk would very quickly reach his grandfathers ears. There was no need for him to share that knowledge with Emily, though.

'Wouldn't it perhaps be better if...well, you said you wanted me to restyle the villa. Perhaps I should have my own room, for convention's sake, and then you could...’

‘I could what? Sneak you into my bed at dead of night?’ Marco shook his head, his mouth tightening. 'I am a man, Emily, not a fearful boy.’

‘But if we are going to be lovers...’

"If" we are?’ he mocked her softly. ‘There is no "if about it. Emily. You will be sleeping in my bed and I shall be there with you. Make no mistake about that. I know you’re tired, so I shall not make love to you but only for tonight. My people will understand that I am a man as well as their future king, and they will not expect me to live the life of a monk. They will accept that—‘

‘That what?That I am yourmistress, and that you have brought me here to warm your bed?’ When Marco talked like this, she felt as though she were listening to a stranger. Emilyrecognised in sharpening panic. His casual reference to his ‘people and his position as their future king’ set him on a different plane from her and a different life path; already he was someone else from the man she had known...a king-in-waiting...

'Are you saying that you don't want to warm it?' Marco asked her breaking into her thoughts and then adding so seductively, almost like the old Marco that she used to know. ‘Did you know there is something about the smell of your skin that right now is filling my head with the most erotic thoughts—and memories?’ His voice had dropped to a whisper that was almost mesmeric. ‘Can you remember the first time I tasted you?’

Despite the doubts and fears she was experiencing, his words sent a thrill of sensation through her making her body quiver with arousal at the images he was conjuring up. She wanted to tell him that she wasn't a naive virgin any more and that she wasn't going to play his game, but instead she heard herself saying thickly.

‘Yes.'

‘And the first time you tasted me?'

Now she could only nod her head as desire kicked up violently inside her stomach.

Marco's fingers had encircled her wrist and he was stroking her bare skin in a rhythmic, beguiling caress.

‘You didn't care then about the staff of the hotel knowing that we were lovers.’

‘That was different.’ she protested.

‘Why?’

‘Then we were private lovers. But here Marco, as you yourself have just said, in the eyes of the people ofNiroli you are their future king, and I will be your mistress’

'So?'

Could he really not understand how she felt? Was he really already so far removed from ordinary life that he couldn't see that she would a thousand times rather be the lover of plain MarcoFierezza than the mistress of the future King ofNiroli ?

‘I can assure you that you will be treated with courtesy and respect. Emily, if that is what is worrying you.’ he continued when she didn't answer him. ‘And if it should come to my ears that you aren't. I will make sure that is corrected.'

He sounded shockingly, sickeningly aloof and regal.The words he had spoken were the kind of statement that previously she would have laughed openly over and expected him to do the same. But she could tell from his expression that he meant them seriously. Marco's always had been a very commanding presence, but now Emily felt there was a new hauteur to his manner, a coldness and a disdain that chilled her through. The hardening of his voice and the arrogance of his stance betrayed his determination to have his own way.And a belief in his royal right to do so? Emily wasn't sure. But she did feel that the subtle change she could sense in him highlighted her own uncertainties.

In London, despite the financial gap between them, they had met and lived as equals. Here, onNiroli she knew instinctively that things would be different. But right now she was too tired to question how much that difference was going to impact on their new relationship. Right now all she wanted...Marco was still stroking her arm. She closed her eyes and swayed closer to him. Right now sheadmitted, all she wanted was this: the scented darkness, the proximity of their bodies and the promise of pleasure to come...

It was the single, sharp, shrill, animal cry of the victim of a night predator who had come down from the mountains to hunt, cut off along with itslife, that woke Emily from her deep sleep. At first, her unfamiliar surroundings confused her but then she remembered where she was. She turned over in the large bed her body as filled with sharp dread as though the dying creature had passed on its fear to her.

‘Marco?' She reached out her hand into the darkness and to the other side of the bed but encountered only emptiness.

She had been so tired when they had arrived that she had gone straight to bed in the room to which Marco had taken her leaving him to explain the situation to the couple who looked after the villa for him. She suspected she must have fallen asleep within seconds of her head reaching the pillow. She had assumed though, after what he had said to her that he would be joining her in it. She hadn't had the energy to argue, even if she had wanted to.

The door to therooms en suite bathroom opened. A mixture of relief and sexual tension filled her as she watched Marco walk towards her. He always slept naked and there was enough light coming in through the window to reveal the outline of his body. Her memory did the rest, filling in the shadow-cloaked detail with such powerfully loving strokes that she trembled.

‘So you're awake.' she heard him murmur as she lifted her head from the pillow to watch his approach.

‘Yes.' Her response was little more than a terse, exhaled breath, an indication of her impatience at herself at being unable to tear her gaze from his magnificent physique.

‘But still tired?’ Marco was standing at the side of the bed now leaning down towards her.

'A little.But not too tired.’ she whispered daringly. She had known all along, of course, that this would be the outcome of being with him again. How could it not be when you had a man as sexually irresistible as Marco and a woman as desperately in love as she was?

They looked at one another through the semi-darkness; night sounds rustled through the room, mingling with the accelerated sound of their breathing. The darkness had become a velvet embrace, its softness pressing in on them like an intimate caress, stroking shared sensual memories over their minds.

The sudden fiercely intense surge of his own desire caught Marco off guard, as it threatened his self-control. He knew that he had missed their sex but he hadn't been prepared for this raw aching hunger that was now consuming him.

Emily’s skin smelled of his own shower gel in a way that made him frown as his senses searched eagerly for the familiar night-warm, intimate scent that was hers and hers alone, and which he was onlyrecognising now how much he had missed...She moved, dislodging the bedclothes, and his chest muscles

contractedunder the pressure of the pounding thud of his heartbeat. His pulse had started to race and herecognised that the ache of need for her which had begun here in this bed the first night he had spent in it without her had turned feral and taken away his control.

‘Emily.’

The way he said her name turned Emily’s insides to liquid heat. He and this yearning beating up through her body were impossible to resist. She sat up in the bed giving in to her love, pressing her lips to his bare shoulder, closing her eyes with delight as she breathed him into her. She ran the tip of her tongue along his collar-bone, feeling the responsive clench of his muscles and the reverberation of his low groan of pleasure. When he arched his neck, she kissed her way along it.caressing the swell of his Adams apple, whilst his muscles now corded in mute recognition of his arousal. And his desire fedher own intoxicating her.empowering her encouraging her to make their intimacy a slow, sweetly erotic dance spiced with sudden moments of breathless intensity.

It felt good to keep their need on a tight knife-edge, refusing to let him touch her until he couldn't be refused any more, and then giving herself over completely to the touch of his hands and his mouth, crying out her need as he finally covered her and moved into her. But it washis own cry of mingled triumph and release that took them both over the edge, to the sweet place that lay beyond it.

Several minutes later, rolling away from Emily.Marco lay on his back, staring up at the ceiling and waiting for his heartbeat to steady, willing himself not to think about what his body had just told him about the intensity of his need for Emily.

If the way in which Marco was rejecting her in the aftermath of the intimacy they had just shared was hurting her then it served her right for coming here. Emily told herself. She must take her pain and hold onto it, use it to remind herself what the reality of being here with Marco meant. It would do her good to see him in his true role, in his true habitat, because it would show her surely that the man she loved simply did not exist any more, and once she knew that her unwanted love would die. How could it not do so?

عرض البوم صور نيارااا  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

الكلمات الدلالية (Tags)
روايات رومانسية أجنبية, penny jordan
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات