ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
äíÇÑÇÇÇ ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : äíÇÑÇÇÇ ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇÝÊÑÇÖí CHAPTER FIVE

Chapter Five

THE first thing that struck Saskia about Andreas’s apartment was not the very expensive modern art hanging on the hallway’s walls but its smell—a musky, throat-closing, shockingly overpowering scent which stung her nostrils and made her tense.
That Andreas was equally aware of it she was in no doubt. Saskia could see him pause and lift his head, like a hunting panther sniffing the air.
‘Hell... Hell and damnation,’ she heard him mut ter ferociously beneath his breath, and then, to her shock, he thrust open the door into the huge- windowed living space that lay beyond the lobby and took hold of her. His fingers bit into the soft flesh of her arms, his breath a warning whisper against her lips as his eyes blazed down into the unguarded shocked softness of hers, dark as obsidian, hard as flint, commanding.. .warning...
‘Alone at last. How you have enjoyed teasing me today, my loved one, but now I have you to myself and I can exact what punishment on you I wish...’
The soft crooning tone of his voice as much as his words scattered what was left of her senses, leaving Saskia clinging weakly to him as the shock ripped through her in a floodtide. Then his mouth was cov ering hers, silencing the protest she was trying to make, his lips moulding, shaping, coaxing, seducing
hers with an expertise that flattened her defences as effectively as an atom bomb.
Incoherently Saskia whispered his name, trying to insist on a cessation of what he was doing and an explanation for it. But her lips, her mouth, her senses, unused to so much sensual stimulation, were defying reason and caution and everything else that Saskia’s bemused brain was trying to tell them. Her frozen shock melted beneath the heat of the pleasure Andreas’ s hungry passionate expertise was showing her, and her lips softened and trembled into an un guarded, uninhibited response.
Without being aware of what she was doing Saskia strained to get closer to Andreas, standing on tiptoe so that she could cling ardently to the delicious plea sure of his kiss. Her hands on his arms registered the sheer size and inflexibility of the muscles beneath them whilst her heart pounded in awed inexperienced shock at the intensity of what she was feeling.
Even more than she could smell that musky, over powering female perfume, she could smell’ Andreas himself. His heat...his passion. ..his maleness... And shockingly something in her, something she hadn’t known existed, was responding to it just as her lips were responding to him.. .just as she was responding to him, swaying into his arms compliantly, her body urging him to draw her close, to let her feel the rest of his male strength.
Dizzily Saskia opened the eyes she had closed at the first touch of his mouth on hers, shivering as she saw the sparks of raw sensuality darting like light ning from his eyes as he stared down at her. It was like hanging way above the earth in a dizzying,
death-defying iace where she could feel her danger and yet at the same time know somehow she would be safe.
‘You love like an innocent.. .a virgin...’ Andreas was telling her huskily, and as he did so the sparks glittering in his eyes intensified, as though he found something very satisfying about such a notion.
Helplessly Saskia stared back at him. Her heart was thudding frantically fast and her body was filled with an unfamiliar shocking ache that was a physical need to have him touch her, to have his hand run slowly over her skin and reach right through it to that place where her unfamiliar ache began, so that he could surround and soothe it. Somehow just think ing about him doing such a thing increased the ache to a pounding throb, a wild, primitive beat that made her moan and sway even closer to him.
‘You like that... You want me...’
As he spoke to her she could hear and feel the urgency in his voice, could feel his arousal. Eagerly she pressed closer to him, only to freeze as she sud denly heard a woman’s voice demanding sharply, ‘Andreas? Aren’t you going to introduce me?’
Immediately she realised what she was doing and shame flooded through her, but as she tried to pull away, desperate to conceal her confusion, Andreas held on to her, forcing her to stay where she was, forcing her even more closely into his body so that somehow she was leaning against him, as though...as though...
She trembled as she felt the powerful thrust of his leg between her own, her face burning hotly with embarrassed colour as she realised the sexual con-
notation that their pose suggested. But it seemed that the woman who was watching them was not similarly self-conscious.
Saskia caught her breath as Andreas allowed her to turn her head and look at the woman.
She was tall and dark-haired, everything about her immaculately groomed, but despite the warmth of her olive skin and the ripe richness of her painted mouth and nails Saskia shivered as she sensed her innate coldness.
‘Athena,’ Andreas was demanding shortly, ‘how did you get in here?’
‘1 have a key. Have you forgotten?’ the other woman purred.
The sloe-eyed look she gave Andreas and the way she was managing to totally exclude Saskia lx from their conversation and from her line of vision left Saskia ruefully reflecting on her earlier men picture of a devastated widow being too gri stricken at the loss of her husband to prevent hers from being bullied into a second niarriage.
No one would ever bully this woman into any thing.. .and as for her being grief-stricken—there was only one emotion Saskia could see in those dark eyes and it had nothing to do with grief.
She forced down the sudden surge of nausea that burned in her throat as she witnessed the look of pure condensed lust that Athena was giving Andreas. Saskia had never imagined, never mind seen, a woman looking at a man in such a powerfully and openly predatory sexual way.
Now she could understand why Andreas had felt in need of a mock fiancee to protect himself, but
what she could nct understand was how on earth Andreas could resist the other woman’s desire for him.
She was blindingly sensually attractive, and ob viously wanted Andreas. And surely that was what all men fantasised about—a woman whose sexual ap petite for them could never be satiated.
Naively Saskia assumed that only her own sex would be put off by Athena’s intrinsic coldness and by the lack of any real loving emotion in her make up.
Andreas had obviously kissed Saskia because he had guessed that Athena was in the apartment, and now that the other woman was standing so close to them both Saskia knew how he had known. That perfume of hers was as unmistakable as it was un appealing.
‘Aren’t you going to say how pleased you are to see me?’ Athena was pouting as she moved closer to Andreas. ‘Your grandfather is very upset about your engagement. You know what he was hoping for,’ she added meaningfully, before turning to Saskia and saying dismissively, ‘Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, but I’m sure Andreas must have warned you how difficult it is going to be for all his family, especially for his grandfather, to accept you...,
‘Athena,’ Andreas was saying warningly, and Saskia could well imagine how she would have felt to be confronted by such a statement, if she and Andreas were genuinely engaged.
‘But it’s the truth,’ Athena was continuing unre pentantly, and she shrugged her shoulders, the move-
ment drawing attention to the fullness of her breasts. Breasts which Saskia could quite easily ee were na ked and unfettered beneath the fine cotton shirt she was wearing.
Quickly she averted her gaze from the sight of Athena’s flauntingly erect nipples, not daring to al low herself to look at Andreas. Surely no man could resist the demand that those nipples were making on his attention... his concentration . .his admiration for their perfection and sexuality. Her own breasts were well shaped and firm, but her nipples did not have that flamboyant fullness that the ther woman’s pos sessed and, even if they had, Saskia knew that she would have felt embarrassed about maldng such a public display of them.
But then perhaps Athena’s display was meant only for Andreas...perhaps it was meant to be a reminder to himof intimacies they might already have shared. She did, after all, have the key to his apartment, and she certainly seemed to want to make it plain to Saskia that there was a very special intimacy between the two of them.
As though in confirmation of Saskia’s thoughts, Athena suddenly leaned forward, putting one mani cured hand against Andreas’s face and effectively coming between them. With a sultry suggestiveness she said softly, ‘Aren’t you going to kiss me? You normally do, and I’m sure your fiancée understands that in Greece family relationships.. .family loyalties are very, very important.’
‘What Saskia understands is that I love her and I want her to be my wife,’ Andreas informed Athena curtly, stepping back from her and taking Saskia with
him. As he held her in front of him and closed his arms around her, tucking her head against his shoul der, Saskia reminded herself just why he was doing so and just what her role was supposed to be.
‘How sweet!’ Athena pronounced, giving Saskia an icy look before turning back to Andreas and tell ing him insincerely, ‘I hate to cast a shadow on your happiness, Andreas, but your grandfather really isn’t very pleased with you at all at the moment. He was telling me how concerned he is about the way you’re handling this recent takeover. Of course I understand how important it must be to you to establish your own mark on the business, to prove yourself, so to speak, but the acquisition of this hotel chain really was quite foolhardy, as is this decision of yours to keep on all the existing staff.
‘You’ll never make a profit doing that,’ she scolded him mock sweetly. ‘I must say, though, hav ing had the opportunity to look a little deeper into the finances of the chain, I’m glad I pulled out of putting in my own bid. Although of course I can afford to lose the odd million or so. What a pity it is, Andreas, that you didn’t accept my offer to run the shipping line for me. That would have given you much more scope than working as your grandfather’s errand boy.’
Saskia felt herself tensing as she absorbed the in sult Athena had just delivered, but to her astonish ment Andreas seemed completely unmoved by it. Yet she only had to make the merest observation and he fired up at her with so much anger.
‘As you already well know, Athena,’ he re sponded, almost good-humouredly, ‘It was my
grandfather’s decision to buy the British hotel chain and it was one I endorsed. As for its future profita bility... My research confirms that there is an excel lent market for a chain of luxurious hotel in Britain, especially when it can boast first-class leisure facil ities and a top-notch chef—which is what I am going to ensure that our chain has.
‘And as for the financial implications àf keeping on the existing staff—Saskia is an accountant, and I’m sure she’ll be able to tell you—as ‘ou should know yourself, being a businesswoman—that in the long run it would cost more in redundancy payments to get rid of the staff than it will cost to continue employing them. Natural wastage and pending re tirement will reduce their number quite dramatically over the next few years, and, where appropriate, those who wish to stay on will be given the oppor tunity to relocate and retrain. The leisure clubs we intend to open in each hotel alone will take up vir tually all of the slack in our staffing levels.
‘However, Saskia and I are leaving forAthens to morrow. We’ve had a busy day today and, if you’ll excuse us, tonight is going to be a very special night for us.’
As Saskia tensed Andreas tightened his hold on her warningly as he repeated, ‘A very special night. Which reminds me...’
Still holding onto Saskia with one hand, he reached inside his jacket pocket with the other to remove a small jeweller’s box.
‘I collected this. It should be small enough for you now.,
Before Saskia could say anything he was slipping
the box back into his jacket, telling her softly, ‘We’ll find out later...’
In the living area beyond the lobby a telephone - had started to ring. Releasing her, Andreas went to answer it, leaving Saskia on her own with Athena.
‘It won’t last,’ Athena told her venomously as she waiked past Saskia towards the door. ‘He won’t marry you. He and ‘I were destined to be together. He knows that. It’s just his pride that makes him fight his destiny. You might as well give him up now, because I promise you I shall never do so.’
She meant it, Saslda could see that, and for the first time she actually felt a small shaft of sympathy for Andreas. Sympathy for a man who was treating her the way Andreas was? For a man who had mis judged her the way he had? She must be crazy, Saskia derided herself grimly.
Apprehensively Saslda watched as the new suitcases, which were now carefully packed with her new clothes, were loaded onto the conveyor belt. The air line representative was checking their passports.
On her finger the ring Andreas had given her the previous evening glittered brilliantly.
‘It’s amazing how good fake diamonds can look these days, isn’t it?’ she had chattered nervously when Andreas had taken it from its box. She’d tried to disguise from him how edgy and unhappy she felt about wearing a ring on the finger that she had imag ined would only ever bear a ring given to her by the man she loved, a ring she would wear forever.
‘Is it?’ Andreas had responded almost contemp tuously. ‘I wouldn’t know.’
His comment had set all her inner alarm bells ring ing and she had demanded anxiously, ‘This... It isn’t real, is it?’
His expression had given her her answer.
‘It is!’ She had swallowed, unable to drag her gaze away from the fiery sparkle of the magnificent soli taire.
‘Athena would have spotted a fake diamond im mediately,’ Andreas had told her dismissively when she’d tried to protest that she didn’t want the re sponsibility of wearing something of such obvious value.
‘If she can spot a fake diamond so easily,’ she had felt driven to ask him warily, ‘then surely she will be able to spot a fake fiancee.’
‘Athena deals in hard facts, not emotions,’ had been Andreas’s answer.
Hard facts, Saskia reflected now, remembering that brief conversation. Like the kiss Andreas had given her last night, knowing Athena would witness it. Andreas himself had made no mention of what he had done, but Saskia had known that her guess as to why he had done it was correct when, immediately after he had ended his telephone call, he had switched on the apartment’s air conditioning with the grim comment, ‘We need some fresh air in here.’
Later, Andreas bad gone out, as promised, and, after picking at the meal he had ordered her, Sasida had gone to bed—alone.
‘How long will it take us to reach Aphrodite?’ Saskia asked Andreas as they boarded their flight.
‘On this occasion it will take longer than normal,’
Andreas answered as the stewardess showed them to their seats—first-class seats, Saskia noted with a small frisson of nervous awe. She had never flown first class before, never really done anything that might have equipped her to feel at home in the rar efied stratosphere of the mega-wealthy that Andreas and his family obviously inhabited.
‘Once we arrive in Athens I’m afraid I shall have to leave you to occupy yourself for a few hours be fore we continue with our journey. That was my grandfather who rang last night. He wants to see me.’
‘He won’t be at the island?’ Saskia asked.
‘Not immediately. His heart condition means that he has to undergo regular check-ups-—a precaution ary measure only, thank goodness—and they will keep him in Athens for the next day or so.’
‘Athena told me she doesn’t believe that our re lationship will last. She believes that the two of you are destined to be together,’ Saskia said.
‘She’s trying to intimidate you,’ Andreas re sponded, the smile he had given the attentive stew ardess replaced by a harsh frown. -
Impulsively Saskia allowed the sympathy she had unexpectedly felt for him the previous evening to take precedence over her own feelings. Turning to wards him, she said softly, ‘But surely if you ex plained to your grandfather how you feel he would understand and accept that you can’t be expected to marry- a woman you don’t...you don’t want to marry...’
‘My grandfather is as stubborn as a mule. He’s also one hell of a lot more vulnerable than he thinks...than any of us want him to think. His heart
condition...’ He gave a small sigh. ‘At the moment it’s stable, but it is important that he—and we—keep his stress levels down. If I told him that I didn’t want to marry Athena without producing you as a substi tute he would immediately become very stressed in deed. It isn’t just that by marrying Athena as he wishes I would attach her fortune and assets to our own, my grandfather is also a man to whom male descendants are of paramount importance.
‘My elder sister already has two daughters, and Athena also has two. My grandfather is desperate for me, as his direct male descendent, to produce the next male generation.. .a great-grandson.’
‘But even if you did marry Athena there would be no guarantee that you would even have children, never mind sons,’ Saskia protested.
‘Why are you laughing at me?’ she demanded in chagrin as she saw the mirth crinkling Andreas’s eyes and a gust of warmly amused male laughter filled the small space between them.
‘Saskia, for a woman of your experience you can be very, very nai You should never suggest to any man, and most especially not a Greek one, that he may not be able to father a son I’
As the plane suddenly started to lift into the sky Saskia automatically clutched at her arm-rests, and then tensed in shock as she felt the hard male warmth of Andreas’s hand wrapping around her own.
‘Scared of flying?’ he asked her in amusement. ‘You shouldn’t be. It’s the safest form of transport there is.’
‘I know that,’ Saskia responded waspishly. ‘It’s
just...well, it’s just that flying seems sci...so uñnat ural, and if...’
I ‘If God had intended man to fly he’d have given him wings,’ Andreas offered her wryly. ‘Well, Icarus tried that option.’
‘I always think that’s such a sad story.’ Saskia shivered, her eyes shadowing. ‘Especially for his poor father.’
‘Mnmi...’ Andreas agreed, before asking her, ‘Am I to take it from that comment that you’re a student of Greek mythology?’
‘Well, not precisely a student,’ Saskia admitted, ‘but my grandmother used to read me stories from a book on Greek mythology when I was little and I always found the stories fascinating.. .even though they nearly always made me cry.’
Abruptly she stopped speaking as she realised two things. The first was that they were now completely airborne, and the second was. ..her own bemused awareness of how good it felt actually to have Andreas’s large hand clasping her own. It was enough to make her face sting with self-conscious colour and she hastily wriggled her hand free, just as the stewardess came up to offer them a glass of champagne.
‘Champagne!’ Saslda’s eyes widened as she took a sip from the glass Andreas was holding out to her and she gasped as the delicious bubbles exploded against her taste buds.
It had to be the champagne that was making her feel so relaxed and so.. .so. . .laid-back, Saskia de cided hazily a little later, and when the captain an nounced that they were coming in to land she was
surprised to realise how quicidy the time had flown— and how much she had enjoyed the conversation she and Andreas had shared. She was even more sur prised to discover how easy it was to slip her hand into the reassuring hold of Andreas’s as the.plane’s wheels hit the tarmac and the pilot applied reverse thrust to slow them down. -
• ‘I can either have our driver take you to the family apartment in Athens, where you can rest whilst I see my grandfather, or, if you prefer, I can arrange for him to drive you on a sightseeing tour,’ Andreas of fered, casually lilting their cases off the luggage car ousel.
He was wearing a pair of plain light-coloured trou sers and a cool, very fine white cotton short-sleeved shirt, and for some indefinable reason it did odd things to Saskia’s normally very sensible female senses to witness the way the muscles hardened in his arms as he swung their cases on to the ground. Very odd things, she acknowledged giddily as the discreet smile of flirtatious invitation she intercepted from a solitary woman traveller caused her instinc tively to move possessively closer to him.
What on earth was happening to her? It must be the champagne.. .or the heat.. .or perhaps both! Yes, that was it, she decided feverishly, grateful to have
found a sensible explanation for her unfamiliar be haviour. After all, there was no reason why she should feel possessive about Andreas. Yesterday morning she had hated him.. loathed him... In fact she had been dreading her enforced time as his ‘fi ancée’—and she still was, of course. Of course! It
was just that... -
Well, having met Athena it was only natural that she should feel some sympathy for him. And she had been fascinated by the stories he had told her during the flight—stories which had been told to him by older members of his Greek family and which were a wonderful mix of myth and foildore. And it was a very pleasant experience not to have to struggle with heavy luggage. Normally when she went away she was either with a group of friends or with her grand mother, and...
‘Saskia...?’
Guiltily Saskia realised that Andreas was still wait ing for an answer to his question.
‘Oh, I’d much prefer to see something of the city,’ she answered.
‘Well, you won’t have a lot of time,’ Andreas warned her. ‘Our pilot will already have filed his flight plan.’
Saskia already knew that they would be flying out to the island in a small plane privately owned by Andreas’s grandfather, and what had impressed her far more than Andreas’s casual reference to the plane had been his mention of the fact that he himself was qualified to fly.
‘Unfortunately I had to give it up. I can’t spare the amount of hours now that I believe are needed to keep myself up to speed and in practice, and be sides, my insurance company were extremely wary. about insuring me,’ he’d added ruefully.
‘It’s this way,’ be told her now, placing his hand on her shoulder as he turned her in the right direc tion.
Out of the corner of her eye Saskia caught a
glimpse of their reflections in a mirrored column and immediately tensed. What was she doing leaning against Andreas like that? As though. ..as though she liked being there.. .as though she was enjoying play ing the helpless fragile female to his strong muscular male.
Immediately she pulled away from him and squared her shoulders.
‘Athena would have loved to have seen you do that,’ he told her sharply, the disapproval clear in his voice.
‘We’re supposed to be in love, Saskia. . .re member?’
‘Athena isn’t here,’ she responded quickly.
‘No, thank God,’ he agreed. ‘But we don’t know who might accidentally observe us. We’re a couple—.. very much in love—newly engaged.. .and you’re about to fly to my home to meet my family. Don’t you think it’s natural that—?’
‘That I should feel nervous and intimidat ed...worried about whether or not they’ll think I’m good enough for you.’ Saskia interrupted him an grily, her pride stung by what he was suggesting. ‘And what am I supposed to do? Cling desperately and despairingly to you.. .afraid of their rejec tion.. .afraid of losing you...just because—’
She stopped as she saw the blank impatient look Andreas was giving her.
‘What I was about to say,’ he told her grimly, ‘was don’t you think it’s only natural that I should want to hold you close to me and equally that you should want that same intimacy? That as lovers we should want always to be physically in touch with one an-
other?’ He paused. ‘And as for what you have just said, I’m a man of thirty-five, long past the age of needing anyone’s approval of what I do or who I love.’
‘But you don’t...’ Saskia began, and then stopped as she realised what she had been about to say. Andreas hardly needed her to tell him that he didn’t love her.
‘I don’t what?’ he prompted her, but she shook her head, refusing to answer him.
‘So you want to see the Acropolis first?’ Andreas checked with Saskia before getting out of the lim ousine, having first given the driver some instructions in Greek.
- ‘Yes, Saskia confirmed.
‘I have told Spiros to make sure you are at the airport in time for our flight. He will take care of you. I am sorry to have to leave you to your own devices,’ Andreas apologised formally, suddenly making Saskia sharply aware of his mixed cultural heritage.
She recognised how at home he looked here, and yet, at the same time, how much he stood Out from the other men she could see. He was taller, for one thing, and his skin, whilst tanned, was not as dark, and of course his eyes would always give away his Northern European blood.
Saskia gave a small emotional sigh as she finally turned her back on the Acropolis and started to walk away. She had managed to persuade the driver that she would be perfectly safe on her own, but only
after a good deal of insistence, and she had enjoyed her solitude as she had absorbed the aura of the an cient building in awed appreciation.
Now, though, it was time for her to go. She could see the limousine waiting where she had expected, but to her consternation there was no sign of its driver.
There was a man standing close to the vehicle, though, white-haired and elderly. Saskia frowned as she recognised that he seemed to be in some distress, one hand pressed against his sfde as though he was in pain. A brief examination of the street confirmed that it was empty, apart from the old man and herself. Sasida automatically hurried towards him, anxious for his well-being.
‘Are you all right?’ she asked in concern as she reached him. ‘You don’t look well.’
To her relief he answered her in English, assuring her, ‘It is nothing... the heat—a small pain. I have perhaps walked further than I should...’
Saskia was still anxious. It was hot. He did not look well, and there was certainly no way she could possibly leave him on his own, but there was still no sign of her driver or anyone else who might be able to help, and she had no idea how long it would take them to get to the airport.
‘It’s very hot,’ she told the old man gently, not wanting to hurt his pride, ‘and it can be very tiring to walk in such heat. I have a car... and.. .and a driver... Perhaps we could give you a lift?’ As she spoke she was searching the street anxiously. Where was her driver? Andreas would be furious with her if she was late for their flight, but there was no way
she could leave without first ensuring that the old man was airight.
‘You have a car? This car?’ he guessed, gesturing towards the parked limousine.
‘Well, it isn’t mine,’ Saskia found herself feeling obliged to tell him. ‘It belongs to. ..to someone I know. Do you live very far away?’
He had stopped holding his side now and she could see that his colour looked healthier and that his breathing was easier.
‘You are very kind,’ he told her with a smile, ‘But 1 too have a car... and a driver...’ His smile broad ened and for some reason Saskia felt almost as though he was laughing a little at her.
‘You are a very kind girl to worry yourself so much on behalf of an old man.’
There was a car parked further down the street, Saskia realised, but it was some distance away.
‘Is that your car?’ she asked him. ‘Shall I get the driver?’
‘No,’ he denied immediately. ‘I can walk.’
Without giving him any opportunity to refuse, Saskia went to his side and said gently, ‘Perhaps you will allow me to walk with you to it...’ Levelly she met and held the look he was giving her.
‘Perhaps I should,’ he capitulated.
It took longer to reach the car than Saskia had expected, mainly because the old man was plainly in more distress than he wanted to admit. As they reached the car Saskia was relieved to see the driver’s door open and the driver get out, immedi ately hurrying towards them and addressing some words to her companion in fast Greek. The old man
was now starting to look very much better, holding himself upright and speaking sternly to the driver.
‘He fusses like an old woman,’ he complained tes tily in English to Saskia, adding warmly, ‘Thank you, my dear, I am verj pleased to have met you. But you should not be walldng the streets of Athens on your own,’ he told her sternly. ‘And I shall—’ Abruptly he stopped and said something in Greek to his driver, who started to frown and look anxiously up and down the street.
‘Yannis will walk back with you to your car and wait there with you until your driver returns.’
‘Really, there’s no need for That,’ Saskia protested, but her new-found friend was determinedly insistent.
‘There really is no need for you to come with me,’ she told the driver once they were out of earshot of the older man. ‘I would much rather you stayed with your employer. He looked quite poorly when I saw him in the street.’
To her relief, as she finished spealdng she saw that her own driver was getting out of Andreas’s car.
‘See, there is no need to come any further,’ she smiled in relief, and then frowned a little before say ing anxiously to him. ‘Your employer... It is none of my business I know.. .but perhaps a visit to a doc tor...’ She paused uncertainly.
‘It is already taken care of,’ the driver assured her. ‘But he... What do you say? He does not always take anyone’s advice...’
His calmness helped to soothe Saskia’s concern and ease her conscience about leaving the older man. He was plainly in good hands now, and her own driver was waiting for her.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ äíÇÑÇÇÇ  
ÞÏíã 14-11-07, 06:32 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 52
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Jun 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 7129
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 287
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: äíÇÑÇÇÇ ÚÖæ ÈÍÇÌå Çáì ÊÍÓíä æÖÚå
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 43

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSaudiArabia

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí CHAPTER SIX

Chapter Six

SASKIA darted a brief look at lAndreas, catching back her gasp of pleasure as she stared out of their plane and down at the blue-green of the Aegean Sea be neath them.
He had been frowning and preoccupied when they had met up at the airport, not even asking her if she had enjoyed her sightseeing trip, and now with every mile that took them closer to his home and family Saskia could feel her tension increasing. It seemed ironic, when she reflected on how she had dreamed of one day spending a holiday in this part of the world, that now that she was actually here she was far too on edge to truly appreciate it.
The starkness of Andreas’s expression forced her to ask, more out of politeness than any real concern, she was quick to assure herself, ‘Is something wrong? You don’t look very happy.’
Immediately Andreas’s frown deepened, his gaze sweeping her sharply as he turned to look at her.
‘Getting in some practice at playing the devoted fiancée?’ he asked her cynically. ‘If you’re looking for a bonus payment, don’t bother.’
Saskia felt a resurgence of her initial hostility to wards him.
‘Unlike you, I do not evaluate everything I do by how I can best benefit from it,’ Saskia shot back
furiously. ‘I was simply concerned that your meeting hadn’t gone very well.’
‘You? Concerned for me? There’s only one reason you’re here with me, Saskia, and we both know that isn’t it.’
What did he expect? Saskia fumed, forcing herself to bite back the angry retort she wanted to make. He had, after all, blackmailed her into being here with him. He was using her for his own Sends. He had formed the lowest kind of opinion of her, judged her without allowing her the chance to defend herself or• to explain her behaviour, and yet after all that he still seemed to think he could occupy the higher moral ground. Why on earth had she ever felt any sympathy for him? He and Athena deserved one another.
But even as she formed the stubborn angry thought. Saskia knew that it wasn’t true.iShe had sensed a deep coldness in Athena, a total lack of regard for any kind of emotion. Andreas might have done and said many things she objected to, but there was a warmly passionate side to him... a very passionate side, she acknowledged, trembling a little as she un willingly remembered the kiss he had given her... Even though it had merely been an act, staged for Athena’s benefit he had still made her feel—con nected at a very deep and personal level. So much so, in fact, that even now, if she were to close her eyes and remember, she could almost feel the hard male pressure of his mouth against her own.
‘As a matter of fact my meeting did not go well.’ Saskia’s eyes opened in surprise as she heard Andreas’s abrupt and unexpected admission.
‘For a start my grandfather was not there. There
was something else he had to do that was more im portant, apparently. But unfortunately he did not bother to explain this to me, or to send a message informing me of it until I’d been waiting for him for over half an hour. However, he had left instructions that I was to be informed in no uncertain terms that he is not best pleased with me at the moment.’
‘Because of me.. .us?’ Saskia hazarded.
‘My grandfather knows there is no way I would or could marry a woman I do not love—his own marriage was a love match, as was my parents’, even if my mother did have to virtually threaten to elope before she got his approval. When my father died my grandfather admitted how much he admired him. He was a surveyor, and he retained his independence from my grandfather.’
‘You must miss him,’ Saskia said softly.
‘I was fifteen when he died; that was a long time ago. And, unlike you, at least I had the comfort of knowing how much he loved me.’
At first Saskia thought he was being deliberately unkind to her, and instinctively she stiffened in self- defence, but when unexpectedly he covered her folded hands with one of his own she knew that she had misinterpreted his remark.
‘The love my grandmother has given me has more than made up for the love I didn’t get from my par ents,’ she told him firmly—and meant it.
His hand was still covering hers.. .both of hers.. .and that funny, trembly sensation she had felt inside earlier returned as she looked down at it. Long-fingered, tanned, with well-groomed but not manicured nails, it was very much a man’s hand:
large enough to cover both of hers, large enough, too, to hold her securely to him without any visible effort. It was the kind of hand that gave a woman the con fidence to know that this man could take care of her and their children. Just as he was the kind of man who would always ensure that his woman and his child were sale and secure.
What on earth was she thinking? Agitatedly Saskia wriggled in her seat, snatching her hands from be neath Andreas’s.
‘Are you sure this is a good idea?’ she asked him slightly breathlessly as she tried to concentrate on the reality of why she was sitting here next to him. ‘I mean, if your grandfather already doesn’t approve of our engagement...’
It was so long before he replied that Saskia began to think that her question had annoyed him but when he did answer her she recognised that the anger she could see darkening his eyes wasn’t directed at her but at Athena.
‘Unfortunately Athena claims a blood closeness to my grandfather which he finds flattering. His elder brother, Athena’s grandfather, died some years ago and whilst there is no way at all that Athena would allow anyone, least of all my grandfather, to interfere in the way she runs her own financial empire, she flatters and encourages him to the point where his judgement is sometimes not all that it should be. My mother claims that the truth will out, so to speak, and that ultimately my grandfather will see through Athena’s machinations.’
‘But surely she must realise that you don’t want to marry her,’ Saskia suggested a little bit uncom
fortably. It was so foreign ‘to her own way of beha’ ing to even consider trying to force anyone into a
-relationship with her that it was hard for her ‘to un derstand why Athena should be driven to do so.
‘Oh, she realises it all right,’ Andreas agi-eed grimly. ‘But Athena has never been denied anything she wants, and right now...’
‘She wants you,’ Saskia concluded for him.
‘Yes,’ Andreas agreed heavily. ‘And, much as I would like to tell her that her desires are not recip rocated, I have to think of my grandfather.’
He stopped speaking as their plane started to lose height, a small smile curling his mouth as he saw Saskia’s expression when she looked out of the win dow down at their destination.
‘He can’t possibly be intending to put this plane down on that tiny piece of land,” she gasped in dis belief.’
‘Oh, yes, he can, It’s much safer than it looks,’ Andreas said reassuringly. ‘Look,’ he added, direct ing her attention away from the landing strip and to the breathtaking sprawl of his family villa and the grounds enclosing it.
‘Everything is so green,’ Saskia told him in be musement, her eyes widening over the almost perfect oval shape of the small islan the rich green of its gardens and foliage perfectly shown off by the white ness of its sandy beaches and the wonderful turquoise of the Aegean Sea that lapped them.
‘That’s because the island has its own plentiful supply of water,’ Andreas told her. ‘It’s far too small to be able to sustain either crops or livestock, which is why it was uninhabited—as you can see it is quite
some distance from any of the other islands, the fur thest out into the Aegean.’
‘It looks perfect,’ Saslda breathed. ‘Like a pearl drop.’
Andreas laughed, but there was an emotion in his eyes that made Saskia’s cheeks flush a little as he told her quietly, ‘That was how my grandmother used to describe it.’
Saskia gave a small gasp as the plane suddenly bumped down onto the runway, belatedly realising that Andreas had deliberately distracted her attention away from their imminent landing. He could be so entertaining when he wanted to be, so charming and so easy to be with. A little wistfully she wondered how much difference it would have made to his opin ion of her had they met under different circum stances. Then she very firmly pulled her thoughts into order, warning herself that her situation was un tenable enough already without making it worse by indulging in ridiculous fantasies and daydreams.
There was a bleak look in Andreas’s eyes as he guided Sasida towards the aircraft’s exit. There was such a vast contradiction in the way he was perceiv ing Saskia now and the way he had perceived her the first time he had seen her. For his own emotional peace of mind and security he found himself wishing that she had remained true to his first impression of her. That vulnerability she fought so determinedly and with such pride to conceal touched him in all the ways that a woman of Athena’s coldness could never possibly do. Saskia possessed a warmth, a humanity, a womanliness, that his maleness reacted and re sponded to in the most potentially dangerous way.
Grimly Andreas tried not to allow himself to think about how he had felt when he had kissed her. Initially he had done so purely as an instinctive re sponse to his awareness that Athena was in his apart ment—that appalling overpowering scent of hers was instantly recognisable. Quite how she had got hold of a key he had no idea, but he suspected she must have somehow cajoled it from his grandfather. But the kiss he had given Saskia as a means of reinforc ing his inavailability to Athena had unexpectedly and unwontedly shown him—forced him to acknowl edge—something he was still fighting hard to deny.
He didn’t want to want Sasida. He didn’t want it at all, and he certainly didn’t want to feel his current desire to protect and reassure her.
Athens had been hot, almost stiflingly so, but here on the island the air had a silky balminess to it that was totally blissful, Sasida decided, shading her eyes from the brilliance of the sun as she reached the ground and looked a little uncertainly at the trio of people waiting to greet them.
Andreas’s husky, ‘Here you are, darling, you for got these,’ as he handed her a pair of sunglasses threw her into even more confusion, but nowhere near as much as the warm weight of his arm around her as he drew her closer to him and whispered quite audibly, ‘Our harsh sunlight is far too strong for those beautiful Celtic eyes of yours.’
Saskia felt her fingers start to tremble as she took the sunglasses from him. They carried a’ designer logo, she noticed, and were certainly far more ex pensive than any pair of sunglasses she had ever owned. When Andreas took them back and gently
slipped them on for her she discovered that they fit ted her perfectly.
‘I remembered that we didn’t get any in London and 1 knew you’d need a pair,’ he told her quietly, leaning forward to murmur the words into her ear, one arm still around her body and his free hand hold ing her shoulder as though he would draw her even closer.
To their onlookers they must look very intimate, Sasida recognised, which was no doubt why Andreas had chosen to give them to her in such a manner.
Well, two could play at that game. Without stop ping to think about the implications of what she was doing, or to question why she was doing so, Saskia slid her own arm around his neck, turning her face up to his as she murmured back, ‘Thank you, darling. You really are so thoughtful.’
She had, she recognised on a small spurt of defiant pleasure, surprised him. She could see it in his eyes—and she could see something else as well, something very male and dangerous which made her disengage herself from him hastily and step back. Not that he allowed her to go very far. Somehow he was holding her hand and refusing to let go of it, drawing her towards the small waiting group.
‘Mama. This is Saskia...’ he announced, introduc ing Sasidi first to the older of the two women.
Warily Saskia studied her, knowing that if she and Andreas were really in love and engaged her heait would be in her mouth as she waited to see whether or not she and Andreas’s mother could build a true bond. Physically she looked very much like Athena. although, of course, older. But the similarity ended
once Saskia looked into her eyes and saw the warmth there that had been so markedly lacking from Athena’s.
There was also a gentleness and sweetness about Andreas’s mother, timidity almost, and intuitively Saskia sensed that she was a woman who, having loved only one man, would never totally cease mourning his loss.
‘It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs Latimer,’ Saskia began, but immediately Andreas’s mother shook her head chidingly.
‘You are going to be my daughter-in-law, Saskia, you must call me something less formal. Helena is my name, or if you wish you may call me Mama, as ‘Reas and my daughters do.’ As she spoke she leaned forward and placed her hands gently on Saskia’s up per arms.
‘She is lovely, ‘Reas,’ she told her son warmly.
‘I certainly think so, Mama,’ Andreas agreed with a smile.
‘I meant inside as well as out,’ his mother told himsoffly.
‘And so did I,’ Andreas agreed, equally emotion ally.
Heavens, but he was a wonderful actor, Saskia ac knowledged shakily. if she hadn’t known how he re ally felt about her that look of tender adoration he had given her just now would have.. .could have... A man like him sthuld know better than to give a vulnerable woman a look like that, she decided in dignantiy, forgetting for the moment that so far as Andreas was concerned she was anything but vul nerable. I
‘And this is Olympia, my sister,’ Andreas contin ued, turning Saskia towards the younger of the two women. Although she was as darkly Greek as her mother, she too had light coloured eyes and a merry open smile that made Saskia warm instantly to her.
‘Heavens, but it’s hot down here. Poor Saskia must be melting,’ Olympia sympathised.
‘You could have waited for us at the villa,’ Andreas told her. ‘It would have been enough just to have sent a driver with the Land Rover.’
‘No, it wouldn’t,’ Olympia told him starkly, shrug ging her shoulders as her mother made a faint sound of protest. She looked anxiously at her, saying, ‘Well, he has to know...’
‘I have to know what?’ Andreas began to frown.
‘Athena is here,’ his mother told him unhappily. ‘She arrived earlier and she...’
‘She what?’
‘She said that your grandfather had invited her,’ his mother cntinued.
‘You know what that means, don’t you Andreas?’ Olympia interrupted angrily. ‘It means that she’s bul lied Grandfather into saying she could stay. And that’s not all...’
‘Pia...’ her mother began unhappily, but Olympia refused to be silenced.
‘She’s brought that revolting creep Aristotle with her. She claims that she is right in the middle of an important business deal and that she needs him with her because he’s her accountant. if it’s so important, how come she had time to be here?’ Olympia de manded. ‘Oh, but I hate her so. This morning she went on and on about how concerned Grandfather is
about the business and how he’s been asking her ad vice because he’s worried that you...’
‘Pia!’ her mother protested again, and this time Andreas’s sister-did fall silent, but only for a few
seconds. I -
‘What I can’t understand is why Gramps is so taken in by her,’ she burst out, as though unable to contain herself. ‘It’s obvious what she’s doing. She’s just trying to get at you, Andreas, because you won’t
marry her.’ —
‘I’m sorry about this,’ Helena Latimer was apol ogising gently to Saskia. ‘It can’t be pleasant for you. You haven’t met Athena yet, I know—’
‘Yes, she has,’ Andreas interrupted his mother, ex plaining when both she and Pia looked at him ques tióningly, ‘Somehow or other she managed to get a key for the London apartment.’
‘She’s the worst, isn’t she?’ Pia told Saskia. ‘The black widow spider I call her.’
‘Pia!’ Andreas chided her sharply.
‘Mama hasn’t told you everything yet,’ Pia coun tered, looking protectively at her mother before con tinuing, ‘Athena has insisted on having the room that Mania had arranged to be prepared for Saskia. It’s the one next to your suite—.’
‘I tried to stop her, Andreas,’ Helena intermpted her daughter unhappily. ‘But you know what she’s like.’ -
‘She said that Saskia could have the room right down at the end of the corridor. You know, the one we only use as an overspill when absolutely everyone is here. It hasn’t even got a proper bed.’
‘You’ll have to say something to Athena, Andreas.
Make her understand that she can’t... that she can’t have that room because Saskia will be using it.’
‘No, she won’t,’ Andreas contradicted his mother flatly, sliding his arm vely firmly around Saskia, im prisoningly almost, drawing her right into his body so that her face was concealed from view as he told his mother and sister, ‘Saskia will be sharing my room.. .and my bed...’
Saskia could sense their shock, even though she could not see their faces. Now she knew why he was holding her so tightly, preventing anyone else from seeing her expression or hearing the panicky denial she was tlying to make but which was muffled against the fine cotton of his shirt.
There was just no way that she was prepared for anything like this. No way that she could ever be prepared for it. But her attempts to tell Andreas were bringing her into even more intimate contact with him as she tried to look up into his face.
His response to her efforts to attract his attention made the situation even worse, because when he bent his head, as though anxious to listen to what she was saying, her lips inadvertently brushed against his jaw.
It must be a combination of heat and shock that was sending that melting liquid sensation of weak ness swooshing through her, Saskia decided dizzily. It certainly couldn’t be the feel of Andreas’s skin against her lips, nor the dangerous gleam she could see in his narrowed eyes as they glittered down into hers, The ann he had around her moved fractionally, so that the hand that had been resting on her waist was now somehow just beneath the ‘curve of her
breast, his fingertips splaying against its soft curve and making her... making her...
‘Saskia will be sharing your room!’ Pia was breathing, verbalising the shock that Saskia herself felt and that she suspected his mother was too em barrassed to voice.
‘We are engaged.. .and soon to be married...’ Andreas told his sister smoothly, adding in a much rougher, rawer, spine-tinglingly possessive voice, ‘Saskia is mine and I intend to make sure that every one knows it.’
‘Especially Aristotle,’ Pia guessed. ‘I don’t know how Athena can endure him,’ she continued shud dering. ‘He’s like a snake, Saskia. All cold and slimy, with horrid little eyes and clammy hands...’
‘Athena endures him because of his skill at “cre ative” accounting,’ Andreas informed his sister dryly.
‘You mean he’s dishonest,’ Pia translated pithily.
‘You didn’t hear that from me,’ Andreas warned her as he started to shepherd all three of them to wards the whiting Land Rover.
Whilst they had been talking the driver had loaded their luggage, and as he held the door open for his mother, sister and Saskia to get in Saskia heard Andreas asking him about his family, listening inter estedly whilst the driver told him with pride about his son who was at university.
‘Grandfather was not very pleased at all when Andreas said that he wanted to use the money our father had left him to help pay for the education of our personal household staff,’ Pia told Saskia.
‘Pia, you aren’t being very fair to your grandfa ther,’ her mother objected.
Andreas had done that? Stubbornly Saskia refused to acknowledge that she was impressed by his phi lanthropy.
Had he really meant what he had said about them sharing a room? He couldn’t have done—could he? Personally she didn’t care where she slept, even if it was a normally unused bedless room, just so long as she occupied it on her own.
‘We have both had a long day and I imagine that Saskia is going to want to have a rest before dinner,’ Andreas was saying as the Land Rover pulled up in a cool paved courtyard with a central fountain that sent a musical plume of water up into the air to shower back to earth in millions of tiny teardrops.
‘I’ll make sure everyone knows that you aren’t to be disturbed,’ his mother responded. ‘But perhaps Saskia would like something light to eat and drink...’
Before Saskia could say anything Andreas was an swering for her, telling his mother, ‘I’ll see to that,’ before placing his hand beneath Saskia’s elbow and telling her in a soft voice in which she suspected only she could hear the underlying threat, ‘This way, Saskia...’

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ äíÇÑÇÇÇ  
ÞÏíã 14-11-07, 06:36 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 53
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSaudiArabia

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

‘I CAN’T sleep in this room with you!’
Saskia had been able to feel herself trembling as Andreas had whisked her down a confusing maze of corridors. She had known that he must be able to feel her nervousness as well, but somehow she had man aged to keep her feelings under control until they were both inside the huge elegant bedroom with the door firmly shut behind them.
Right now, though, she was in no mood to appre ciate the cool elegance of her surroundings. Whirling round, she confronted Andreas determinedly. ‘No way was that part of the deal.’
‘The “deal” was that you would aàt as my fian c and that includes doing whatever has to be done to ensure that the act is believable,’ he told her an grily.
‘I won’t sleep here with you,’ Saskia protested wildly. ‘I don’t... I haven’t...’ She could hardly bear to look at the large king-sized bed as panic filled her, flooding out rationality. She had gone through so much, and now she was hot and tired and very, very afraid. Her emotions threatened to overwhelm her.
Quickly she turned away as she heard Andreas saying, almost mundanely, ‘I’m going to have a shower, and if you’ll take my advice you’ll do the same. Then, when we’re both feeling cooler and
calmer, we can discuss this whole situation less emo tively.’
A shower! With Andreas! Saskia stared at him in mute shocked disbelief. Did he really think that she would...that she could...?
‘You can use the bathroom first,’ he told her.
First! So he hadn’t meant;.. Relief sagged through her, quickly followed by a furious burst of toxic an ger.
‘I don’t want to use the bathroom at all,’ she burst out. ‘What I want is to be at home. My own home, with my own bathroom and my own bedroom. What I want is to be free of this stupid... stupid charade... What I want...’ She had to stop as her feelings threatened to overwhelm her, but they refused to be contained, spilling out in a furious fierce torrent of angry words. ‘How could you let your mother and sister think that you.. .that we...?’ She shook her head, unable to put into words what she wanted to say.
Andreas had no such qualms.
‘That we are lovers?’ he supplied dramatically for her. ‘What else should they think? I’m a man, Saskia, and you and I are supposed to be engaged. And if in reality we were, do you think for one minute that I wouldn’t—’
‘Want to test the goods before you bought them?’ Saskia threw wildly at him. ‘Oh, of course, a man like you would be bound to want to do that.. .to make sure...’
She tensed as she saw the way he was looking at her and the bitter anger in his eyes.
‘That kind of comment is typical of a woman like
you,’ he ground out. ‘Reducing everything to terms of money. Well, let me tell you—’
But Saskia wouldn’t lethim finish, defending her self sharply instead as she insisted, ‘You were the one who said...’
But Andreas immediately checked her.
‘What I said, or rather what I was tr to say before you interrupted me,’ he told her grittily, ‘was that if I genuinely loved you there would be no way I would be able to deny myself—or you—the plea sure of showing that love in the most intimate phys ical way there is. There would be no way that I could bear to let you out of my sight or my arms, certainly not for the length of a whole night.’
Saskia discovered that she had started to tremble almost violently as his words struck sharply sensitive chords deep within her body that she had not even known existed. Chords that activated a deep core of feminine longing, that brought her dangerously close to the edge of tears she had no idea why she wanted to cry. Panic raced through her veins, flooding out common sense. She could feel her heart thumping frantically with anxiety.
She opened her mouth to tell Andreas that she had changed her mind, that she wanted to go home, that she was not prepared to stay a minute longer, no matter how much he tried to blackthail her into doing so. But her panic didn’t stem from any fear of him. No. It was herself she feared now, and the way she was beginning to feel, the thoughts she was begin- fling to have. She couldn’t allow herself to feel that way about him. She couldn’t be attracted to him. He wasn’t her type of man at all. She abhorred the way
he had treated her, the way he had misjudged her. But the shocking shaft of self-awareness, of longing she had felt as he’d described his desire for the woman he would love wasn’t going to be dismissed.
‘I can’t...’ she began, stopping as Andreas held up his hand warningly, silencing her as someone knocked on the door.
Dry-mouthed, Saskia waited whilst he went to open it, watching as their cases were brought in— not by the driver of the Land Rover but by another smaller, older man to whom Andreas was talking in Greek, smiling warmly at him as he did so, and then laughing good-humouredly as the older man looked past him at Saskia herself, before clapping him on the shoulders with a wide, beaming smile.
‘What was that all about?’ Saskia demanded cu riously once he had gone and they were on their own again.
‘Stavros was saying that it is high time I had a wife... and that I must lose no time in getting myself a fine boy child,’ he added mercilessly.
Saskia could feel herself colouring to the roots of her hair as she looked everywhere but at the king- sized bed in the centre of the room.
Despite the room’s air conditioning she felt stifled, unable to breathe.. .hunted and desperate to escape.
‘I’m going to have that shower,’ Andreas told her, mundanely brealdng into her thoughts, turning away from her as he did so and heading for one of the three doors that opened off the bedroom.
Once he had disappeared Saskia looked at the door to the corridor, longing to have the courage to walk through it and demand that she be flown back im
mediately to Athens. But if she did she would lose her job would make sure of that!
Fiercely Saskia trie to concentrate on something else, anything else but the appalling situation she was in. She hated what Andreas was doing to her.’.. what he was making her do. And she hated Andreas him self too. ..didn’t she?
Unable to answer her own question honestly, Saskia studied the view beyond the large patio doors that opened out onto an enclosed courtyard, which itself surrounded a tantalisingly tempting swimming pool complete with its own bubbling spa pool.
Small oases of green plants broke up the paving and the brilliant harshness of the sunlight. Comfortable-looking sun loungers complete with umbrellas offered a lazy way to enjoy the sunshine. The whole scene looked like something out of an exclusive holiday brochure, the kind Saskia had only been able to glance at enviously, knowing such a holiday was way beyond her means. But right now the only place she wanted to be was safe in her own home;
Andreas couldn’t really .expect her to share a room—never mind a bed—with him. She couldn’t do it. She wouldn’t.. .she was so...
‘The bathroom’s free...’
Saskia froze. She had been so engrossed in her thoughts she hadn’t realised that Andreas was in the bedroom with her.. .standing right behind her, she recognised as she picked up the clean, warm scent of his newly showered body.
‘I’ll go and sort out something light for you to eat. Dinner won’t be for a few hours yet, and if you’ll
take my advice you’ll try to rest for a while. Greeks eat late and go to bed even later.’
‘But I thought that we’d be having separate rooms,’ Saskia burst out, unable to control her panic any longer. ‘I would never have agreed to come here if I’d thought that I’d— No! Don’t you dare touch me,’ she protested as she felt him moving closer to her, reaching out to her. She wouldn’t be able to bear it if he touched her, if he...
Frantically she turned and ran towards the door, but somehow Andreas managed to get there before her, blocking her access to it, taking hold of her, his fingers biting into the soft flesh of her arms.
‘What the hell do you think you’re doing?’ he ground out savagely. ‘What exactly is it you’re pre tending to be so afraid of? This? A woman like you!’
Saskia gasped and shook from head to foot as his arms closed imprisioningly around her and his mouth came down on hers. He was wearing a robe, but as she struggled to break free it was his bare skin she could feel beneath her flaying hands. Warm, damp.. .hard, his chest roughened by dark hairs. Her hands skittered wildly over his torso, shocked by the intimate unexpected contact with his bare skin, seek ing some kind of purchase to thrust him away and finding none.
He was kissing her with an angry passion that made her feel weak, the blood roaring in her head as her brain recognised her inability to deal with the searing experience of so much furiously male arro gant sensuality.
‘Stop acting like a novice, an innocent,’ Saskia heard him demanding against her mouth. His tongue
forced her lips to part for its entry and the hand that was imprisoning her ui her even de into the sensu heat of his paited thighs as he leaned back against the door, taking her with him. His free hand was on her body, arrogantly stroking its way up past her waist to the curve of her breast. I
Saskia tensed in shock as it cupped her breast, his thumb-pad circling her nipple and somehow enticing it to peak into a shocking bud of delicious wanton pleasure.
She could feel the aroused heat of him like a brand, and beneath her anger she felt a sharp, spi ralling stab of female curiosity and excitement.. .a dangerous surge to conspire with him, to allow her traitorous body to experience even more of the inti inacy of their embrace.
Without knowing she had done so she opened her mouth,ihesitantly allowing him access to its sweet ness, shyly starting to return his kiss and even more shyly allowing her tongue to mesh seductively with his.
‘Aidreas? Are you in there? It’s me, Athena...! need to talk you.’ I
Saskia froze as she heard Athena’s voice from the other side of the door, but Andreas showed no sign whatsoever of any confusion or embarrassmentJ Still holding Saskia against him in a grip she could not break, he opened the door and told Athena flatly, ‘Not now, Athena. As you can see, Saskia and I are busy.’
‘She is with you,’ Athena snapped angrily, darting Saskia a look of icy venom. ‘Why isn’t she in her own room?’ I
‘She is,’ Andreas returned coolly. ‘My room is Saskia’s room. My bed.. .her bed. My body. ..her...’
‘Your grandfather will never allow you to marry her,’ Athena breathed, but Andreas was already clos ing the door, ignoring her insistence that he listen to her.
‘Andreas, let me go,’ Saskia demanded. She couldn’t bear to look at him. Couldn’t bear to do anything, least of all think about the way she had responded to him.. .the way she had encouraged him...
Derisively Andreas watched her.
‘Okay, Saskia, that’s enough,’ he told her. ‘I know I told you I wanted you to act like a faithful fiancee, but that does not mean you have to pretend to be an innocent virgin who has never—’ Abruptly he stopped, frowning as he mulled over the unwanted suspicions that were striking him as he looked at Saskia’s pale face and hunted eyes.
Even though he had let her go she was still shak ing, trembling from head to foot, and he could have sworn just now, when he had held her in his arms and kissed her.. .touched her, that he was the first man to make her feel so...
For a moment he examined what he was thinking, and feeling, and then firmly dismissed his suspicions. There was no way she could be so inexperienced, no way at all. There was enough Greek in him for him to consider that the gift of her virginity, her purity, was one of the greatest gifts a woman could give to the man she loved, but his cultural heritage from his British father and schooling mocked and even de plored such archaic feelings.
Would a woman expect a man to keep himself pure until he met her? No. So why should any different for a woman? As a mature man he accepted and respected a woman’s right to choose how she dealt with her own sexuality. But he knew too that as a lover, a husband, there would be a deeply, darkly passionate and possessive part of him that yearned to be his beloved’s only partner, an ache within him to teach her, show her the delights of sensual love. And right now something about Saskia’s reaction to him was sparking off a reaction he was having to fight to control, a response that was pure prir Greek male. A need!
‘I’m not sleeping in this room with you,’ Sasida reiterated numbly. ‘I’m...’
If she was acting then she deservdd an Oscar, Andreas decided grimly. But a fiaricée looked terrified at the very thought of being with him was the last thing he needed. He had to calm her down, to calm them both down.
‘Come with me,’ he commanded, taking hold of her hand and drawing her towards one of the doors that opened off the bedroom.
When he opened it Saskia could see that the room that lay beyond it was furnished as an office, with all the latest technological equipment.
‘Will it make you feel any better if I ‘tell you that [ to sleep in there?’ Andreas demanded.
‘In there? But it’s an office. There’s no bed,’ Saskia whispered shakily.
‘I can bring in one of the sun loungers and sleep on that,’ Andreas told her impatiently.
‘You mean it...’ Saskia was wary, reluctant to trust or believe him.
Andreas nodded his head grimly, wondering why on earth he was allowing his overactive conscience to force him into such a ridiculous situation. He knew there was no way she could possibly be the naïve, frightened innocent she was behaving as though she was.
‘But surely someone would notice if you removed a sun bed?’ she was asking him uncertainly.
‘Only my room opens out onto this pool area. It’s my private territory. The main pool which everyone else uses is round the other side of the villa.’
His own private pool. Saskia fought not to be im pressed, but obviously she had not fought hard enough, she recognised ruefully as Andreas gave her an impatient look.
‘I’m not trying to make a point, Saskia, one upmanship of that boastful sort is anathema to me. My grandfather may be a millionaire but I most cer tainly am not.’
It wasn’t entirely true, but something about the look in Saskia’s eyes made him want to refute any mental criticism she might have that he was some kind of idle playboy, lounging by a swimming pool all day.
‘It’s just that I happen to like an early-morning swim when I’m here at the villa; my sisters used to claim that I woke them up so I had this pool installed for my own use. Swimming laps helps me to clear my thoughts as well as allowing me to exercise.’
Saskia knew what he was saying, she felt the same about walking. Whenever she was worried about
something, or had a problem to mull over, she walke
As he watched her Andreas asked himself grimly why he was going to so much trouble to calm and reassure her. That frightened heartbeat he had felt thudding so anxiously against his own body just had to have been faked. There was no way it could not have been. Just like that huge-eyed watchfulness.
Saskia bit her,lip as she looked away from him. It was obvious that Andreas meant what he said about sleeping in his office, but right now it wasn’t their sleeping arrangements that were to the forefront of her mind so much as what was happening during their waking hours—and what she herself had just experienced when he kissed her.
Sbecouldn’t have secretly wanted him to kiss her. Surely it was impossible that that could happen with out her being consciously aware of it. But what other explan could there be for the way she had re sponded to him? her conscience demanded grittily.
‘Right,’ she could hear Andreas saying diyly, ‘now that we’ve got that sorted out I’ve got some work to do, so why don’t you have something to eat and then have a rest?’
‘I need to unpack,’ Saskia began to protest, but Andreas shook his head.
‘One of the will do that for you whilst
you’re resting.’ I
When be saw her expression he told her softly, ‘They work for us, Saskia. They are servants and they work to earn their living just as you and I work to earn ours.’
‘Oh, I’m sony, I didn’t wake you, did I?’ Pia said sotto voce. ‘But it will be dinner time soon and I thought you might appreciate some extra time to get ready.’
As Saskia came fully awake and struggled to sit up in the bed she recognised that her unexpected vis itor was Andreas’s sister Olympia.
The arcane grin that crossed Pia’s face as she added, ‘We noi-mally dress down here, not up, but Athena is bound to want to make an impact,’ made Saskia warm to her friendliness.
‘Where’s...?’ she began anxiously, but didn’t get any further than the first word of her enquiry.
‘Where’s Andreas?’ Pia supplied for her, ‘Grand father telephoned to speak to our mother and then he wanted to have a word with Andreas.’ She gave a small shrug. ‘He’s probably still on the phone, and I have to warn you he isn’t in a very good mood.’ As she saw the way Saskia’s eyes became watchful she hastened to assure her. ‘Oh, it isn’t you. It’s Athena. She’s brought her accountant with her and Andreas is fudous. He can’t stand him. None of us can, but Athena insisted that Grandfather invited Aristotle personally.’
As Pia darted about the room, switching on lamps to illuminate the darkness of the Greek evening, Saskia swung her feet to the floor. She had fallen asleep fully dressed and now she felt grubby and untidy. The thought of having to Sit down at a dinner table with Andreas and Athena was not one she was looking forward to, but Pia was right about one thing:
she would need to make an impact. Andreas would no doubt expect it of her. Still, with her suitcase full
of the new clothes he had insisted on buying for her, she had no excuse not to do so.
‘Maria’s already unpacked your cases for you,’ Pia informed her. ‘I helped her,’ she added. ‘I love that little black number you’ve brought with you. It’s to die for. Your clothes are gorgeous. Andreas kept coming in and telling me not to make so much noise in case I woke you up.’ She pulled another face. ‘He’s so protective of you.
‘Mama and I are so glad that he’s met you,’ she added more quietly, giving Saskia a look of warm confidence that immediately made her feel horribly guilty. ‘We both love him to bits, of course,’ she went on, ‘and that hardly makes us impartial. But we were beginning to get so afraid that he might just give in to Grandfather and Athena for Grandfather’s sake—and we both know he could never love her. I suppose he’s told you about what she did when he was younger?’
Without waiting for Saskia to say anything Pia continued in a quick burst of flurried words, ‘I’m not supposed to know about it really. Lydia, my sister, told me, and swore me to secrecy, but of course it’s all right to discuss it with you because Andreas must have told you about it. He was only fifteen at the time—just a boy, really—and she was so much older and on the point of getting married. I know the actual age gap in terms of years would be nothing if it had been between two adults, but Andreas wasn’t an adult. He was still at school and she... I think it was wonderfully brave and moral of Andreas to refuse to go to bed with her—and do you know something else? I think that although Athena claims to love him
a part of her really wants to punish him for not letting her—well, you know!’
Athena had tried to seduce Andreas when he had still been a schoolboy! Saskia had to fight hard to control both her shock and the distaste Pia’s revela tions were causing her.
It was true that in terms of years—a mere seven or so—the age gap between them was not large. But for a woman in her twenties to attempt to seduce a boy of fifteen—surely that was almost sexual abuse? A cold shiver touched Saskia’s skin, icy fingers spreading a chilling message through her.
Would a woman who was prepared to do some thing like that allow a mere bogus fiancée to come between her and the man she wanted? And Athena obviously did want Andreas very badly indeed— even if her motivation for doing so was shrouded in secrecy.
Andreas was such a very male man it was hard to imagine him in the role of hunted rather than hunter. If ever a man had been designed by nature to be proactive, arrogant and predatory that man was, in Saskia’s opinion, Andreas. But there was something so alien to Saskia’s own experience in Athena, a coldness, a greed, almost an obsessiveness that Saskia found it hard to relate to her or even think of her in terms of being a member of her own sex.
Her determination to marry Andreas was chillingly formidable.
‘Of course, if it wasn’t for Grandfather’s health there wouldn’t be any problem,’ Pia was saying rue fully. ‘We all know that. Grandfather likes to think that because he works for him Andreas is financially
dependent on him, but...’ She stopped, shaking her head. I
‘You are going to wear the black, aren’t you? I’m dying to see you in it. You’ve got the colouring for it. I look so drab in black, although you can bet that Athena will wear it. Whoops!’ She grimaced as they both heard male footsteps in the corridor outside the bedroom. ‘That will be Andreas, and he’ll scalp me if he thinks I’m being a pest.’
Saskia tensed as Andreas came into the room, watching as his glance went from the bed to where she was standing in the corner of the room.
‘Pia,’ he began ominously, ‘I told you...’
‘I was awake when she came,’ Saskia intervened protectively. She liked Andreas’s sister, and if she’d been genuinely in love with him and planning to marry him she knew she would have been delighted to have found a potential friend in this warm-hearted, impulsive woman.
Pia launched herself at Andreas, laughing up into his face as she hugged him and told him trium phantly, ‘See? You are wrong, big brother, and you must not be so firm and bossy with me otherwise Saskia will not want to marry you. And now that I have met her I am determined that she will be my sister-in-law. We were just discussing what she is going to wear for dinner,’ she added. ‘I have warned her that Athena will be dressed to kill!’
‘If you don’t take yourself off to your own room so that we can all get ready, Athena is ‘going to be the only one who is dressed for anything,’ Andreas told her dryly.
Kissing his forehead, Pia released him and hurried
to the door, pansing as she opened it to give Saskia an impish grin and remind her, ‘Wear the black!’
‘I’m sony,’ Andreas apologised after the door had closed behind her. ‘I asked her not to disturb you.’
So he hadn’t been deceived by her fib, Saskia rec ognised.
‘I don’t mind; I like her,’ Sasida responded, this time telling him the truth.
‘Mmm... Pia’s likeability is something I’m afraid she tends to trade on on occasion. As the baby of the family she’s a past mistress at getting her own way,’ he told Sasida in faint exasperation, before glancing at his watch and informing her, ‘You’ve got half an hour to get ready.’
Saskia took a deep steadying breath. Something about the revelations Pia had made had activated the deep core of sympathy for others that was so much a part of her nature. Somewhere deep inside her a switch had been thrown, a sea change made, and without her knowing quite how it had happened Andreas had undergone a transformation, from her oppressor and a dictator whom she loathed and feared to someone who deserved her championship and help. She had a role which she was now deter mined she was going to play to the very best of her ability.
‘Half an hour,’ she repeated in as businesslike a manner as she could. ‘Then in that case I should like to use the bathroom first

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ äíÇÑÇÇÇ  
ÞÏíã 14-11-07, 06:42 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 54
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSaudiArabia

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

‘So, SASKIA, how do you think you will adjust to being a Greek wife—if you and Andreas do actually get married?’
Saskia could hear Pia’s indrawn gasp of indigna tion at the way Athena had framed her question, but she refused to allow herself to be intimidated by the other woman. Ever since they had all taken their places at the dinner table Saskia had recognised that Athena was determined to unnerve and upset her as much as she could. However, before she could say anything Andreas was answering the question for her.
‘There is no “if” about it Athena,’ he told her implacably. ‘Saskia will become my wife.’
Now it was Saskia’s turn to stifle her own poten tially betraying gasp of shock, but she couldn’t con trol her instinctive urge to look anxiously across the table at Andreas. What would he do when he ulti mately had to back down and admit to Athena that their engagement was over? That was his problem and not hers, she tried to remind herself steadily.
Something odd had happened to her somehow; she was convinced of it. Andreas had walked out of the office adjoining ‘their’ bedroom earlier this evening and come to a standstill in front of her, saying quietly, ‘I doubt that any man looking at you now could do anything other than wish that you were his, Saskia.’
She had certainly never had any desire to go on the stage—far from it—and yet from that moment she had felt as though somehow she had stepped into a new persona. Suddenly she had become Andreas’s fiancée and, like any woman in love, not only was she proud to be with the man she loved, she also felt very femalely protective of him. The anxiety in her eyes now was for him and because of him. How would he feel when Athena tauntingly threw the comment he had just made back in his face? How must he have felt when he had first realised, as a boy, just what she wanted from him?
‘Wives. I love wives.’ Aristotle, Athena’s accoun tant, grinned salaciously, leaning towards Saskia so that be could put his hand on her arm.
Immediately she turned away from him. Saskia fully shared Pia’s view of Athena’s accountant. Although he was quite tall, the heavy, weighty struc ture of his torso made him look almost squat. His thick black hair was heavily oiled and the white suit he was wearing over a black shirt, in Saskia’s opin ion at least, did him no favours. Andreas, on the other hand, looked sexily cool and relaxed in ele gantly tailored trousers with a cool white cotton shirt.
If she had privately thought her black dress might be rather over the top she had swiftly realised how right Pia had been to suggest that she wore it once she had seen Athena’s outfit.
her slinky skintight white dress left nothing to the imagination.
‘It was designed especially for me,’ Saskia had heard her smirking to Andreas. ‘And it is made to be worn exactly the way I most love—next to my skin,’
she had added, loudly enough for Saskia to overhear. ‘Which reminds me. I hope you have warned your fiancée that I like to share your morning swim so she won’t be too shocked...’ She had turned to Saskia. ‘Andreas is like me, he likes to swim best in his skin,’ she had told her purringly.
In his skin. Saskia hadn’t been able to prevent her self from giving Andreas a brief shocked look which, fortunately, Athena had put down to Saskia’s jeal ousy at the thought of another woman swimming nude with her fiancée.
Whilst Saskia had been digesting this stomach- churning disclosure she had heard Andreas himself replying brusquely, ‘I can only recall one occasion on which you attempted to join me in my morning lap session, Athena, and I recall too that I told you then how little I appreciate having my morning peace interrupted.’
‘Oh, dear.’ Athena had pouted, unabashed. ‘Are you afraid that I have said something you didn’t want your fiancée to know? But surely, Andreas,’ she had murmured huskily, reaching out to place her hand on his arm, ‘she must realise that a man as attractive as you. ..as virile as you.. .will have had other lovers before her...’
Her brazenness had almost taken Saskia’s breath away. She could imagine just how she would be feel ing right now if Andreas had indeed been her fiancée. How jealous and insecure Athena’s words would be making her feel. No woman wanted to be reminded of the other women who had shared an intimate re lationship with her beloved before her.
But Andreas, it seemed, was completely unfazed
by Athena’s revelations. He had simply removed her arm by the expedient of stepping back from her and putting his own arm around Saskia’s shoulders. He had drawn her so close to his body that Saskia had known he must be able to feel the fine tremor of reaction she was unable to suppress. A tremor which had increased to a full-flooded convulsion when his lean fingers had started almost absently to caress the smooth ball of her bare shoulder.
‘Sasida knows that she is the only woman I have ever loved—the woman I want to spend my life with.’
The more she listened to and watched Athena the more Saskia subscribed to Pia’s belief that it wasn’t love that was motivating the other woman. Sometimes she looked at Andreas as though she hated him and wanted to totally destroy him.
Aristotle, or ‘An’ as he had told Saskia he pre ferred to be called, was still trying to engage her attention, but she was deliberately trying to feign a lack of awareness of that fact. There was something about him she found so loathsome that the thought of even the hot damp touch of his hand on her arm made her shudder with distaste. However, good man ners forced her to respond to his questions as politely as she could, even when she thought they were in tolerable and intrusive. He had already told her that were he Andreas’s accountant he would be insisting she sign a prenuptial contract to make sure that if the marriage ended Andreas’s money would be safe.
Much to Saskia’s surprise Andreas himself had thoroughly confounded her by joining in the conver sation and telling Aristotle grimly that he would
never ask the woman he loved to sign such an agree ment.
‘Money is nothing when compared with love,’ he had told Aristotle fIrmly in a deep, implacable voice, his words so obviously genuine that Saskia had found she was holding her breath a little as she listened to him.
Then he had looked at her, and Saskia had remem bered just how they had met and what he really thought of her, and suddenly she had felt the most bitter taste of despair in her mouth and she had longed to tell him how wrong he was.
At least she had the comfort of knowing that his mother and sister liked her, and Pia had assured her that their eIder sister was equally pleased that Andreas had fallen in love, and was looking forward to meeting Saskia when she and her husband and their children came to the island later in the month.
‘Lydia’s husband is a diplomat, and they are in Brussels at the moment, but she is longing to meet you,’ Pia had told her.
She would have hated it if Andreas’s close family had not liked and welcomed her.
Abruptly Saskia felt her face start to burn. What on earth was she thinking? She was only playing the part of Andreas’s fiancée. Their engagement was a fiction, a charade.. .a lie created simply to help him escape from the trap that Athena was tiying to set for him. What she must not forget was that it was a lie he had tricked and blackmailed her into colluding with.
Aristotle was saying something to her about want ing to show her the villa’s gardens. Automatically
Saskia shook her head, her face burning with fresh colour as she saw the way Andreas was watching her, a mixture of anger and warning in his eyes. He couldn’t seriously think she would actually accept Aristotle’s invitation?
‘Saskia has had a long day. I think it’s time we said our goodnights,’ she heard him saying abruptly as he stood up.
Saskia looked quickly round the table. It was ob vious from the expressions of everyone else just what interpretation they were putting on Andreas’s deci sion, and Saskia knew that the heat washing her face and throat could only confirm their suspicions.
‘Andreas...’ she started to protest as he came round to her chair and stood behind her. ‘I don’t...’
‘You’re wasting your breath, Saskia.’ Pia chuck led. ‘Because my dear brother obviously does! Oh, you needn’t put that lordly expression on for me, brother dear.’ She laughed again, before adding mis chievously, ‘And I wouldn’t mind betting that you won’t be lapping the pool at dawn...’
‘Pia!’ her mother protested, pink-cheeked, whilst Athena gave Saskia a look of concentrated hatred.
Hastily Saskia stood up, and then froze as Aristotle did the same, insisting in a thick voice, ‘I must claim the privilege of family friend and kiss the new ad dition to the family goodnight.’
Before Saskia could evade him he was reaching for her, but before he could put his words into action Andreas was standing between them, announcing grimly, ‘There is only one man my fiancée kisses...’
‘If you’ll take my advice, you’ll keep well away from Aristotle. He has a very unsavouxy reputation with
women. His ex-wife has accused him of being vio lent towards her and—’
Saskia turned as she stepped into the bedroom, her anger showing. ‘You can’t mean what I think you mean,’ she demanded whilst Andreas closed the door. How could he possibly imagine that she would even contemplate being interested in a man like the accountant? It was an insult she was simply not pre pared to tolerate.
‘Can’t 1?’ Andreas countered curtly. ‘You’re here for one reason and one reason only, Saskia. You’re here to act as my fiancée. Whilst I can appreciate that, beii the woman you are, the temptation to feather your nest a little and do what you so obvi ously do best must be a strong one, let me warn you now against giving in to it. If you do, in fact...’
if she did... Why, she would rather die than let a slimeball like Ari come anywhere near her, Saskia reflected furiously. And to think that back there in the dining room she had actually felt sympathetic towards Andi had actually wanted to protect him. Now, though, her anger shocked through her in a fierce, dangerous flood of pride.
‘if you want the truth, I find An almost as repul sively loathsome as I do you,’ she threw bitterly at him.
‘You dare to speak of me in the same breath as that reptile? How dare you speak so of me.. .or to me...?’ Andreas demanded, his anger surging to match hers as he reached out to grab hold of her. His eyes smouldered with an intensity of emotion that Saskia could see was threatening to get out of control.
‘That man is an animal—worse than an animal. Only last year he narrowly escaped standing on a criminal charge. I cannot understand why Athena tol erates him and I have told her so.’
‘Perhaps she wants to make you jealous.’
It was an off-the-cuff remark, full of bravado, but Saskia wished immediately she had not said it when she saw the way the smoulder suddenly became a savage flare of fury.
‘She does? Or you do...? Oh, yes, I saw the way he was looking at you over dinner.. .touching you...’
‘That was nothing to do with me,’ Saskia pro tested, but she could sense that the words hadn’t touched him, that something else was fuelling his anger and feeding it, something that was hidden from her but which Andreas himself obviously found in4 tolerable.
‘And as for you finding me loathsome,’ Andreas said through gritted teeth. ‘Perhaps it is unchivalrous ungentlemanly of me to say so, but that wasn’t Ioath ing I could see in your eyes earlier on today. It wasn’t loathing I could hear in your voice, feel in your body.. .was it? Was it?’ he demanded sharply.
Saskia started to tremble.
‘I don’t know,’ she fibbed wildly. ‘I can’t remem ber.’
It was, she recognised a few seconds later, the worst possible thing she could have said. Because immediately Andreas pounced, whispering with soft savagery, ‘No? Then perhaps I should help you to remember...’
She heard herself starting to protest, but somehow the words were lost—not because Andreas was re
fusing to listen, but because her lips were refusing to speak.
‘So when exactly was it that you found me so loathsome Saskia?’ Andreas was demanding as he closed both his arms around her, Iformijig them into a prison from which it was impossible for her to es cape. ‘When I did this...?’ His mouth was feathering over hers, teasing and tantalising it, arousing a hot torrent of sensation she didn’t want to experience. ‘Or when 1 did this...?’
Now his tongue-tip was probing the lips she was trying so desperately to keep firmly closed, stroking them, tracing their soft curves, over and over again, until she could hear herself moaning helplessly as they parted softly for him. But still it seemed he hadn’t extracted his pound of ilesh, because even this victory wasn’t enough for him.
‘What? Still no answer...? I wonder why not,’ he was taunting her, before adding bitingly, ‘Or do I need to wonder at all? You are a woman who is used to giving her body to a man, Saskia, who is used to experiencing pleasure. And right now you want that pleasure from me.’
‘No,’ Saskia moaned in denial, trying to turn her face away from his and to break free of him.
‘Yes,’ he insisted rawly. ‘Yes. Admit it, Saskia... You want me... Your body wants mine. It wants the sexual satisfaction it’s used to.. .it aches and craves for.’
A shudder of shock ripped through her as Saskia recognised the truth of what he was saying. She did want him, but not in the way he was suggesting. She wanted him as a woman wanted the man she loved,
she realised shaidly. She wanted him as her lover, not merely as her sexual partner, someone with whom she could find a release for a basic physical need, as he was so cruelly saying. But how could she love him? She couldn’t... But she did.
She had fallen in love with him virtually the mo ment she had set eyes on him, Saskia acknowledged despairingly, but she had told herself that because of her loyalty to her friend he was out of bounds to her and that she could not, must not allow herself to have such feelings, just as she could not allow herself to have them now. Although for very different reasons. Megan was no longer a barrier to her loving Andreas, but Andreas himself and what he thought about her certainly was.
‘Let me go, Andreas,’ she demanded.
‘Not until you have admitted that I am right and that you want me,’ Andreas refused. ‘Or are you try ing to goad me into proving to you that I am right?’
Saskia flinched as she felt the suffocating, danger ously toxic mix of fear and excitement explode inside her.
She hesitated whilst she tried to formulate the right response, the only sane, sensible response she could give, and then she realised that she had waited too long as Andreas told her rawly, ‘You’ve pushed me too far, Saskia. I want you, but you already know that, don’t you? How could a woman like you not know it? You can feel it in my body, can’t you?’ he demanded. ‘Here...’
Helplessly Saskia leaned against him whilst she tried to absorb the shock of having her hand taken and placed so explicitly ‘against the hard, intimate
throb of his maleness. if only she could find the strength to drag her hand away, to tell him that she didn’t want the intimacy he was forcing on her. But despairingly she knew that she was too weak, that there was no way she co stop herself from aching to use the opportunity he had given her t touch and explore’ him, td know hhnJ. .to know’ his male ness...to- I ‘t H
She have a small moan as her body started to shake with tremors of desire. Andreas’s heart was poundh so savagely that she could feel it almost inside her own body. Ea in the eveni when he had ah absently caressed the ball of her shoul der touch ‘of an established lover for his be loved—she had shuddered in mute delight, but that was nothing to what she was feeling now.
- She ached for him, hungered for him, and when she closed her eyes she could see him as Athena had so tauntingly described him—proud and naked as his body sli the water. She moaned again, a high, sharp sound this time that had Andreas covering her mouth with the hard, hot, demanding pressure of his, the words he was groaning against her lost as his passion sent a kick of shocking voluptuous pleasure searing through her.
Her mouth was properly open beneath his now, her tongue hungry for the sensual melding stroke of his, and the intensity of her own feelings was diz zying and dazzling her.
‘You want me... You need me...’
She could feel him ‘mouthing the words and she couldn’t deny them, her body, her emotions were sat-
urated with the intensity of a response to him so new to her that she had no defences against it.
Everything else was suddenly forgotten, unimpor tant. Everything else and everyone else. All she needed... All she wanted... All she could ever want was here within her reach.
She moaned and trembled as she felt Andreas’s hands on her body and over her dress, their touch bard, hungry.. .excitingly, dangerously male. The un familiar intimacy of his body against hers was de priving her of the ability to think or to reason prop erly. There -was no place for reason to exist in this new world she was inhabiting anyway.
‘I want to see you.. .watch you whilst I make love to you,’ Andreas was saying thickly to her. ‘I want you to see me... My God, but I can understand now just why all those other men fell victim to you. There’s something about you, some witchery, some— What’s wrong?’ he demanded as he felt the abrupt way Saskia had tensed against him in rejec tion.
Saskia could not bear to look at him.
-With those few contemptuous words he had de stroyed everything, totally obliterated her wonderful new world and brought her crashing back to her old one. She felt sick to her soul from her own behav iour, her own folly.
‘No, no, I don’t want this,’ she protested franti cally, pushing Andreas away.
‘What the...?’ She could hear the anger in his voice, feel it almost, but still he released her.
‘If this is some kind of game—’ be began to warn her, and then stopped, shaking his head in disbelief.
‘My God, I must have been out of my mind anyway, to even contemplate... I suppose that’s what too many years of celibacy does for a man,’ he threw at her unkindly. ‘I never thought I’d be idiotic enough...’
He turned back to her, stopping when Saskia froze. ‘You’re quite safe,’ he told her grimly. ‘I’m not
going to touch you. There’s no way—’ He broke off and shook his bead again, and then walked abruptly away from her, telling her brusquely, ‘I’ve got some work to do.’
The bedroom was in darkness when Saskia woke up, and at first she didn’t know what had woken her. Then she heard it again, the rhythmic sound of some one swimming. The patio doors to the pooi area were open, and as she turned her head to look towards them she could see the discreet lights which were illuminating it.
And reas was swimming... She looked at her watch. It was three o’clock in the morning and Andreas was swimming.. .tirelessly up and down the pool. Warily she sat up in bed to get a closer look as his powerful crawl took him to the far side of the pooi. As he executed his turn Saskia lay down again. She didn’t want him to see her watching him.
Beneath the bedclothes she was naked, apart from a tiny pair of briefs. The one thing Andreas had ap parently forgotten to buy for her had turned out to be any kind of nightwear. That discovery had caused her to remain for nearly fifteen minutes in the locked privacy of the bathroom, agonising over what she should do until she had finally found the courage to
open the door and make an undignified bolt for the bed, her body hidden from view by the towel she had wrapped around it. Not that she need have been so concerned. Andreas had remained out of sight in his office.
But he wasn’t in his office now. Now be was swimming in the pooi.
Beneath the protective cover of the bedclothes Saskia’s brain worked feverishly. Should he be swimming alone at night? Was it sale? What 11...? Almost the very second that fear formed her ears registered the fact that she could no longer hear the sound of Andreas swimming. Quickly she lowered the bedclothes and looked anxiously towards the pool area. The water was still, calm—and empty of its sole swimmer.
Andreasi Where—? She gripped hold of the bed clothes as she saw him climbing out of the water— totally naked—totally! She tried to drag her recalci trant gaze away from his body but it was no use; it was refusing to listen to her, refusing to obey her, remaining fixed in hungry female appreciation on the pagan male beauty of Andreas’s nakedness.
Surely any woman would have found the sight of Andreas breathtaking, Saskia thought feiyently, her gaze devouring the pure sensuality of his back view as he walked across the tiles. His skin shone sleekly, still damp from his swim, and beneath it the muscles moved in a way that had a shockingly disconcerting effect on her own body.
Naively Saskia had always previously assumed that there could be little difference in seeing a statue or a painting of a naked man and viewing the real
thing, but now she knew how wrong she had been. Perhaps it was her love for him that made the dif ference, perhaps it was... She gasped as he suddenly turned round. He seemed to be looking right into the bedroom. Could he see her? Did he know that she was watching him? She lay perfectly still, praying that he could not do so, unable to bear the humilia tion of his mockery if he were to come in to her now. If he were to... -
She just managed to suppress the audible sound of her own longing. If he caine to her now and held her, touched her, kissed her.. .took her as she was so ach ing for him to do, it wouldn’t be in love but in lust. Was that really what she wanted? she asked herself sternly. No, of course it wasn’t, was her helpless re sponse. What she wanted was for Andreas to love her the way she did him.
He was turning away from her now, his body sil houetted by the light. Saskia sucked in her breath sharply, every feminine instinct and desire she pos sessed flagrantly ignoring her attempts to control them. He looked... He was... He was perfect she acknowledged, silently whispering the soft accolade beneath her breath as her eyes rounded and she saw that the male reality of him far, far outreached any thing she had ever thought of in her innocent virginal imaginings.
Once again he looked towards the bedroom and Saskia held her breath, praying. ..hoping. . .wairing... She expelled it on a small rush of sound as he reached down and retrieved his robe, shrugging it on before walking not back to the bedroom and to her
but away from it. Where was he going? she won dered. Back to his office?
For what felt like a long time after he had gone Saskia lay where she was, afraid to move, unable to sleep and even more afraid to think. What was the matter with her? How could she possibly love a man who had treated her as Andreas had done, who had blackmailed her, threatened her, refused to allow her to tell him the truth about herself? A man who had the lowest possible opinion of her and yet who, de spite that, had still kissed her. How could she? Saskia closed her eyes. She didn’t know the answer to that question. All she knew was that her emotions, her heart, her deepest self were crying out—how could she not love him?
‘Sunbathing? I never thought I’d see the day when you would just laze around,’ Na teased Andreas as she came hurrying out of the villa in the tiniest little bikini Saskia had ever seen and curled up on the vacant sun bed next to where Sa was lying.
‘Saskia didn’t have a good night. She needs to rest and I didn’t want her overdoing things or lying too long in our strong sun,’ Andreas lied unblushingly to his sister.
‘Oh, poor you,’ Pia immediately sympathised with Saskia as she studied her pale face.
Guiltily Saskia said nothing. After all, she could hardly admit that the reason she was so jaded was because she bad spent so many of the night hours when she should have been sleeping thinking about, fantasising about the man lying right next to her. In daylight Saskia dared not recall the very personal and intimate nature of her fantasies. She knew that if she
did so her face would be as brightly coloured as it was now pale. Mercifully Andreas had put her huge eyes and pale face down to travel tiredness.
‘Well, that’s one improvement you’ve made on my brother’s lifestyle already, Saskia,’ Pia approved with a grin. ‘Normally when he comes to the villa we can’t get him out of the office. When did Grandfather say he is going to arrive?’ she asked Andreas.
‘I must say I’m suiprised that your grandfather in tends to come to the island at all at the moment,’ Athena answered for Andreas as she and her ac countant came out of the villa to join them.
Saskia’s heart sank a little as she saw them. Over breakfast An had been so over-fulsome in his praise of her, and so obviously sexually motivated, that she had been glad to escape from him.
As Pia started to frown Athena added maliciously, He isn’t very happy with you right now, Andreas...’
‘My grandfather is never happy with anyone who takes a different view from his,’ Andreas told her dryly. ‘He has a quick temper and a short fuse and thankfully an even shorter memory—’
Andreas had insisted that Saskia was to lie beneath the protection of a sun umbrella because of her fair skin, but as she watched Athena untying the wrap she was wearing to reveal an even smaller bikini than Pia’s, Saskia felt envious of her rich golden tan.
‘How uncomfortable you must be lying in the shade,’ Athena said, adding bitchily, ‘I would hate to have such a pale skin. It always looks so...’
‘Saskia’s skin reminds me of the purest alabaster,’ Andreas interrupted Athena smoothly..
‘Alabaster—oh, but that is so cold.’ Athena
smiled, giving Saskia an assessing look. ‘Oh, now you are frowning and looking grumpy,’ she told Andreas softly, ‘and I know just the cure for that. Let me put some oil on for you, Andreas, and then...’
Saskia could hardly believe it when she heard her self saying firmly, ‘I’ll do that for you, darling.’ Turning to look at Athena, she added boldly, ‘A fi ancée’s privilege.’ And then, ignoring both the frowning look Andreas was giving her and her own shaking hands, she got up off her sun lounger, took the bottle of oil Pia was offering her with an ap proving smile and walked over to where Andreas was lying.
Very carefully Saskia poured a little of the oil into her cupped hand and then, even more carefully, leaned over Andreas’s prone body, making sure as she did so that she stood between his sun bed and the one Athena was reclining on in a pose carefully designed to flaunt to full effect her generous breasts.
Saskia’s hair swung over her face as she nervously started to smooth the oil over Andreas shoulders. His skin felt warm and sleek beneath her touch. As sleek as it had looked last night. She paused as her hands began to tremble. Last night! She must nor think about that now. But somehow she found herself do ing so; somehow, too, her hands were moving sen sually against his skin, stroking, smoothing, even kneading instinctively when she found that his mus cles were bunching beneath her touch.
He had been lying on his stomach with his eyes closed, but suddenly they opened and he told her abruptly, ‘That’s enough. I was about to go for a swim anyway.’
Even so it was still several seconds before he ac tualiy got up and walked away from her to the end of.the pool, diving in cleanly md then swimming virtually a full length beneath the water before re surfacing and starting to lap the pooi with a hard, fast-paced crawl.
Andreas tried to concentrate on what he was do ing, to empty his head of any thoughts as he always did when he was swimming. It was his favourite way of relaxing—or at least it had been. Right now the last thing he felt was relaxed. Even without closing his eyes he could still remember exactly how it had felt to have Saskia’s hands moving over his body, soft, caressing.. .knowing.
He slid beneath the water, swimming under it as he tried to control his aching body. God, but he wanted her, ached for her, lusted for her. He had never felt like this about anyone before, never needed anyone with such an intensity, never been in a situ ation where he simply could not control himself ei ther physically or emotionally. She must know what she was doing to him, a woman of her experience...a woman who prowled bars at night looking for a man. Of course she must; of course she did. And yet...
And yet he couldn’t stop himself from contrasting what he knew cerebrally about her with the way she had felt in his arms, the soft, hot sweetness of her kiss, the desire hazing her eyes and the shock which had later replaced it. She had caught him off guard just now, when she had refused to allow Athena to touch him—caught him off guard and filled him with a certain hot male triumph and pride that she should feel so possessive about him. But of course she
didn’t—did she? She was simply acting, playing out the role he had forced her into.
Andreas frowned. His own mental use of the word ‘forced’ and the admission which it brought rasped against his conscience like sandpaper. It was wholly out of character for him, against his strongest held beliefs to force anyone to do anything, but he had begun to fear he could find no way out of the present situation without endangering his grandfather’s health. What he was offering was an explanation, not an excuse, he warned himself sternly and if he had now discovered that he had merely exchanged one hazard for another which was even more potentially dangerous then he had no one but himself to blame.
Had Saskia seen that betraying surge of his body before he had turned away from her? Athena had. Athena... Andreas’s mouth hardened.
At fifteen, and still a schoolboy, he had tried to convince himself that he was mature enough to take over his father’s role, strong enough to support and protect his mother and his sisters. But a part of him had still been childish and he had often ended up crying alone at night in his bed, confused and angry and missing his father, wondering furiousiy why he had had to die.
That period had surely been the worst of his life:
the loss of his father and then Athena’s attempt to seduce him. Two events which together had pro pelled him into an adulthood and maturity he had in no way been prepared for.
Athena’s desire for him had held none of the clas sic ‘Mrs Robinson’ allure. She had been coming on to him for weeks, ever since he had returned home
from school for the summer holidays, but he had never dreamed that she was doing anything other than playing some mysterious adult female game that was beyond his ability to comprehend—until the day he had found her in his room—naked!
When she had handed him the vibrator, she was stroking herself with, commanding him to use it on her, it had been all he could do not to turn on his heels and run. But boys ran, and he hadn’t wanted to be a boy, but a man.. .the man his father would have wanted him to be, the man his mother and sis ters needed him to be.
‘I don’t think you should be in here, do you?’ he had asked her woodenly, avoiding looking at her na ked body. ‘You are engaged to be married.’
She had laughed at him then, but she hadn’t beeri laughing later, when he had held open his bedroom door and commanded her to leave, warning her.that if she didn’t he would have no compunction in get ting a couple of members of staff to physically re move her.
She had gone, but not immediately, not until she had tried to change his mind.
‘You have a man’s body,’ she had told him han grily. ‘But like a fool you have no kIx)wledge of what to do with it. Why won’t you let me show you?’ she had coaxed. ‘What is it you are so afraid of?’
‘I’m not afraid,’ he had responded stoically, and truthfully. It hadn’t been fear that had stopr him from taking advantage of what she was offering but anger and loathing. I
But Athena was a woman who couldn’t endure to accept that he didn’t want her. Tough! Her feelings,
if she genuinely had any—which he personally doubted—were her problem. His grandfather was a very different matter, though, and even without the cloud currently hanging over his health, Andreas would have been reluctant to quarrel with him— though he felt that the old man was being both stub born and difficult. How much of the blame for that lay with Athena and how much with his grandfa ther’s fiercely guarded fear of growing old and the future Andreas could only hazard a guess at.
It was ironic, really, that the means he had adopted to help him overcome his problems should have re sulted in causing him even more. An example, per haps, of the modern-day ethos behind the ancient Greek mythology Saskia had expressed a love of. She might love Greek mythology but she most cer tainly did not love him. Andreas frowned, not want ing to pursue such a line of thought.
‘That is a very pretty little ring you are wearing,’ Athena commented disparagingly as she got up off the lounger and came to stand next to Saskia.
They were alone at the poolside, Athena’s accoun tant having gone to make some telephone calls and Pia having left to help her mother, who was prepar ing for the arrival of her father.
‘But an engagement ring is no guarantee of mar riage,’ Athena continued. ‘You look like a sensible girl to me, Saskia. Andreas is a very wealthy. and experienced man. Men like him get so easily bored. You must know that yourself. I suspect that the chances of you actually walking down the aisle and marrying Andreas are very limited indeed, and they
will become even more slender once Andreas’s grandfather arrives. He doesn’t want Andreas to marry you. He is very old-fashioned and very Greek. He has other plans for his only grandson and for the future of the business he has built up.’
She paused, watching Saskia calculatingly, and Saskia knew what she was thinking. Athena too had other plans for Andreas’s future.
‘If you really loved Andreas then surely he would be far more important to you than your own feelings. Andreas is devoted to his grandfather. Oh, I know he may not show it, but I can promise you that he is. Think what it would do to him emotionally, not to mention financially, if there were to be a rift between them. Andreas’s mother and his sisters are both fl. nancially dependent on their grandfather... If he were to banish Andreas from his life then Andreas would be banished from their lives as well.’
Athena gave a deep, theatrical sigh and then asked pseudo-gently, ‘How long do you think he would continue to want you once that had happened? And I can make it happen, Saskia. . .you know that, don’t you. His grandfather listens to me. It is because he wants my business to be joined to his, of course. That is the Greek way of doing things.’ She bared her teeth and gave Saskia an unldnd smile. ‘It is not the Greek way of doing things for a millionaire to allow his heir to many a penniless foreigner.
‘But let’s talk of something more pleasant. There is no reason why we shouldn’t come to a mutually happy arrangement—you and 1. 1 could sit back and wait for Andreas to leave you, but I will be honest with you. I am approaching the age when it may
become less easy for me to give Andreas the sons be will want. So, to make it easy for us both, I have a proposition to put to you. I am willing to pay you one million pounds to remove you from Andreas’s life—permanently.’
Saskia could feel the blood draining out of her face as shock hit her. Somehow she managed to drag her self into a sitting position on the sun lounger and then to stand up, so that she and Athena were fake to face.
‘Money can’t buy love,’ she told her fiercely. ‘And it can’t buy me. Not one million pounds, not one hundred million pounds! No amount.’ Tears stung her eyes and she told herself that shock had put the there. ‘If at any time Andreas wants to end our en gagement then that is his prerogative, but—’
‘You’re a fool—do you know that?’ Athena breathed, her whole face contorted with fury and malice. ‘Do you really think Andreas meant what he said about not insisting on a prenuptial agreement? Ha! His grandfather will make him have you sign one, and when Andreas grows tired of you, as he undoubtedly will, you will get nothing.. .not even any child he may have given you. Greek men do not give up their children. Greek families do not give up their heirs.’
Saskia didn’t want to hear any more. Without even bothering to pick up her wrap she started to walk towards the house, only just managing to prevent herself from breaking into a run.
As Saskia reached the house Pia was coming out of it through the open patio door.
‘Saskia...’ she began in concern, but Saskia shook
her head, knowing she was in no fit state to talk to her-i—to her or indeed to anyone. She felt degraded by whatAthena had said to her, degraded and angiy. How dared Athena believe that her love was for sale...that money mattered more to her than Andreas. ..that she would ever...? Abruptly Sasida stop What w she thinking? She turned round and went back outside, heading not for the pool area but beyónd it.. .to the island and the pathway along the cliffs. She needed to be on her own.
The full irony of what had happened was only just beginning to sink in. She had agreed to come to the island• only because Andreas had blackmailed her into doing so and because she couldn’t afford to lose the income from her job. Yet when she was offered what amounted to financial security for life, not just for herself but more importantly for her beloved grandmother, as well as an immediate escape from her intolerable situation, she turned both down.
Angrily Pia started to hurry towards where Athena was lying sunning herself. After what she had just overheard there was no way she was not going to tell Athena what she thought of her. How dared she treat Saskia like that, trying to bribe her into leaving Andreas?
Andreas!
Na came to an abrupt halt. Perhaps she ought to tell her brother what Athena had been up to and let him deal with her. Saskia had looked so dreadfully upset, and no wonder. Reluctantly Na listened to the
inner voice warning her that Andreas would not thank her for pre-empting his right to be the one to confront Athena. Turning on her heel, she walked back inside the villa in search of Andreas.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ äíÇÑÇÇÇ  
ÞÏíã 14-11-07, 06:50 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 55
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSaudiArabia

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

LESS than a third of the way along the path that cir cumnavigated the island Saskia stopped walking and turned round. She couldn’t go on; she had had enough. Loving Andreas—being so close to him every day in one sense and yet with such an unbridgeable gap between them in all the senses that really mat tered—was more than she could cope with. Her love for him, her longing for him, was tearing her apart.
Slowly she started to walk back to the villa. She had no idea what she was going to do—throw herself onAndreas’s mercy and beg him to release her from their ‘agreement’? There was no paint in trying to tell him what Athena had done. He was hardly likely to believe her, not with his opinion of her, and be sides, she didn’t want him to know. If he did.. .once he did... Andreas was no fool, he was an astute, sharp-minded businessman, it wouldn’t take him long to guess what had happened, how she felt, and that was something she could not endure.
Once she reached the villa Saskia went straight to ‘her’ room which, thankfully, was empty. The maid had been in and the bed was freshly made. Quickly removing her swimsuit, she went to have a shower.
‘Andreas,’ Athena purred seductively as she saw him coming out of his grandfather’s office.
‘Not now, Athena.’ Andreas cut her short. He had spent the best part of the last couple of hours trying to come to terms with feelings he had never expected to have, never mind wanted to have, and now that he had come to a decision he was anxious to act on it without any delay, especially from Athena.
It was no use trying to hide the truth from himself any longer.
He had fallen in love with Saskia. How? Why? When? To his exasperation no amount of analytical self-probing on his part had been able to produce any kind of logical answers to such questions. All his heart, his body, his emotions, his very soul kept in sisting over and over again was they wanted her, loved her craved and needed her. If the logical thinldng part of him that was already fighting a des perate rearguard action should dare to argue, then his emotions would see to it that his life was no longer worth living.
But look at what she is he had tried to remind himself. But his emotions had refused to listen. He loved her as she was, past errors of judgement and all. Errors of judgement? Picking up men in bars...coming as near as darnniit to selling herself to them—if not for money then certainly for the pseudo-love they had offered her.
It wasn’t her fault, his heart had protested in loving defence. She had been deprived of her father’s love as a child. She was simply trying to compensate for that. With love, his love, she could be made whole again. She would forget her past and so would he. What mattered was the here and now and the future
• they would share.. .a future which meant nothing to him without her in it.
And so it had continued, on and on, when he was supposed to be working. In the end he had bad no option other than to give in, and now he was on his way to find Saskia to tell her...ask her...to beg her if necessary.
‘Is Saskia still outside?’ he asked Athena, impa tient to tell Saskia how he felt.
Athena’s eyes narrowed. She knew that look in a man’s eyes, and to see it now, in the eyes of the only man she wanted, was not to be tolerated. If: Saskia couldn’t be induced to leave Andreas then he must reject her, and Athena knew xactly how to make that happen.
‘Oh...’ Immediately she faked a look of concern, ‘Didn’t you know? She’s gone for a walk...with An. I know you won’t like me saying this, Andreas, but—well, we all know how much An likes women, and Saskia has been making it rather obvious that she reciprocates... Not whilst you’re around, of course...’
‘Andreàs—’ Pia tried to stop him several minutes later but he refused to stop or listen.
‘Not now Pia, whatever it is...’ he said brusquely, before striding down the corridor towards his suite.
Goodness, but he looked angry, Pia reflected as she watched his departing back. Well, what she had to tell him wasn’t going to lighten his bad mo but he would have to be told. She knew that.
Andreas could hear the sound of the shower run ning as he walked into the bedroom and slammed the door behind him.
‘Saskia?’ he demanded, striding towards the bath room and puffing open the door.
Sasida blanched as she saw him. She had just that second stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around her damp body—thank goodness.
‘Why are you having a shower?’ Andreas de manded suspiciously.
Saslda stared at him nonpiussed.
‘I’ve just been for a walk and it was hot and...’
Andreas could feel the shock of his jealously jolt right through his body, exploding inside him, almost a physical pain. It furnished him with some very vivid and very sexual images of just why Saskia might want to cool down. Like any man in love, he couldn’t bear the thought of his beloved in the anns of someone else, and he reacted predictably.
Taking hold of her, his fingers gripping painfully into the delicate flesh of her upper arms, he gritted jealously, ‘You just couldn’t wait, could you? Where did he take you?’
‘He...?’ Saskia started to protest, confused by both his words and his actions. ‘What on earth...?’
But Andreas wasn’t listening.
‘Was it out in the open, where anyone could have seen you? Is that what you like, Saskia. . .demeaning yourself so completely that...? But of course you do. I already know that, don’t I? You want to be treated badly, to be used and then discarded like a... Well, then, if that’s the way you like it then let’s see ill can come up to your expectations, shall we? If I can give you what you so obviously want.’
He was a man no longer in control of what he was doing, wanting passionately to stamp his possession
on her—body and soul—to make her his and wipe from her memory all thoughts of any other man!
What on earth had happened to turn Andreas from the cool, remote man she was familiar with into the raw explosion of male fury and passion she was fac ing now? Saskia wondered in bemusement. It was passion she could sense most strongly, she recog nised dizzily. It emanated from him like a heat haze, drawing her into its danger and excitement, melting, burning away her own protective caution.
Wasn’t this secretly what a part of her had wanted to happen? For him to look at her as he was doing now, with the fierce, elemental need of a man no longer able to fight off his own desire.
Somehow, seeing Andreas so close to losing con trol allowed her to give full reign to her own feelings and longings.
‘You’re mine,’ Andreas was telling her rawly as he pulled her hard against his body. ‘Mine, Saskia... And what is mine I mean to have full measure of,’ he added thickly.
Saskia could feel her skin starting to quiver re sponsively where he was touching it. He slid his hands oh, so deliberately up her bare arm and over her shoulder, his fingertips caressing the nape of her neck. Blissfully she arched her spine, offering herself up to his touch, feeling the quiver-raising goose- bumps on her skin moving deeper, growing stronger, as they became a pulse that echoed and then drove her heartbeat.
‘Kiss me, Andreas...’
Had she actually said that? Demanded it in that
unfamiliar husky little voice that sounded so sexy and made Andreas’s eyes glitter even more hotly?
‘Oh, I can promise you that I’m going to do far more than just kiss you,’ Andreas assured her as his hands very deliberately removed the towel from her body. ‘Far, far more,’ he repeated sensually, before adding, ‘But if a kiss is what you want...’
His hands were spread against her collarbone and her throat, his thumbs massaging her fragile bones, his lips brushing just the merest tantalising breath of heat against the pulse that raced so frantically be neath her skin.
‘Where exactly is it you want me to kiss you, Saskia?’ be was asking her. ‘Here...? Here...? Here..?’
As his mouth moved tantalisingly over her throat and then her jaw, covering eve inch of her face but her lips, Saskia heard herself start to moan soffly with longing until, unable to endure any more of his delicious torment, she put her hand against his face and turned his mouth to hers, exhaling in a soft swoon of relief as she finally tasted the hard warmth she had been aching for.
‘Andreas... Andreas...’ She could hear herself whispering his name as she slid her fingers into his hair and clasped his head, probing the hard outline of his lips with small, frantic thrusts of her tongue- tip.
Over her shoulder Andreas caught sight of their entwined reflections in the mirror. Saskia’s naked back view was as perfectly sculpted as that of any classical statue, but her body was composed of liv ing, breathing flesh, and just the feel of her sweetly
firm breasts pressing against him, never mind what the dedicated assault of her honey tongue was doing to him, totally obliterated eveiything but the way he felt about her.
Against the delicate pallor of her Celtic skin his hands looked shockingly male and dark as he Ca ressed her, held her, moulded her so close to his body that he could taste her small gasp of sensual pleasure as she felt his arousal. His clothes were a hindrance he no longer wanted, but he couldn’t make the time to remove them until he had punished that sexily tormenting tongue of hers for the way it was destroy ing his self-control.
He felt the deep, racking shudder of pleasure that ran right through her body as he opened his mouth on hers, taking into his domain full control of their kiss and of her.
Saskia gasped and trembled, yielding the sweet in- timacy of her mouth and the soft-fleshed nakedness
of her body to Andreas’s dominance. What was hap-. pening between them was surely the pinnacle of her whole life, the reason she had been born. Here, in Andreas’s arms, love and desire were coming to gether for her in the most perfect way possible.
Saskia had forgotten what she had been going to tell him, why it was so imperative for her to leave. This was what she had wanted to happen from the very first second she had set eyes on him.
• Unable to bring himself to break the intoxicating sensuality of their shared kiss, Andreas picked Saskia up and carried her over to the bed. Whatever she had been before no longer mattered. From now on she would be his.
The heavy natural linen curtains Saskia had closed over the large windows before taking her shower dif fused the strong sunlight outside, bathing the room in a soffly muted glow that turned her fair skin al most ethereally translucent. As he laid her on the bed Andreas gave in to the temptation to caress the taut quivering peak of one breast with his lips, savouring it in a slow, careful exploration which made Saskia’s whole body shake with sharply intense arousal.
‘No, I don’t want to rush this,’ Andreas denied to her, his voice thick, almost cracking over the words as he refused the frantic pleas of her writhing body. ‘1 want to take my time and savour everything!’ he emphasised as his hand caressed the breast he had just been suckling, his thumb tip etching unbearably erotic circles around the sensitively receptive nub of flesh.
‘I want you so much,’ Saskia whispered achingly. ‘I want you...’ She stopped, her eyes clouding with a mixture of anxiety and uncertainty as she heard her own voice and briefly recognised her own danger.
It was too late. Andreas had heard her. Pausing in the act of removing his clothes, he leaned over her, bracing himself so that the muscles in his arms corded tautly, capturing her awed gaze whilst be asked her rawly, ‘Where do you want rue, Saskia? Tell me... Show me...’
But he already knew the answer to his question because be bad already lifted his hand from the bed and brushed his knuckles in the gentlest of touches the full length of the centre of her body, letting it come to rest palm-down against the soft swelling of her most intimate heart.
‘You haven’t answered my question, Saskia,’ he reminded her softly, as his fingertips drew delicate circles of pleasure against her, so jaw-clenching de sirable that Sasida thought she might actually faint from the heat and intensity of the longing they were arousing.
‘Tell me.. .tell me what you want,’ Andreas was insisting, spacing each word between kisses so rav ishingly tender that Saskia felt as though she was melting.
In the cocoon of her own private world he had become for Saskia the lodestone that drew her, the focus of eveiyihing she was experiencing, of every thing she was and ever wanted to be, the centre of her world.
‘I want you,’ she responded feverishly to him. ‘I want you, Andreas. I...’ She shuddered, unable to say any more because Andreas was kissing her, seal ing her mouth with a kiss that was a hot, passionate brand of possession. As he wrapped his arms around her Saskia clung to him shyly, stroking the side of his face.
‘Look at me,’ he demanded.
Hesitatingly she did so, the melting, soft, languor ous longing of her gaze entrapped by the hot, fierce glitter of his.
Very slowly and tenderly he began to caress her. Sasida felt as though her whole body was going to dissolve with her longing for him, her need of him.
She reached out to touch his bare shoulder, his arm, and made a helpless little sound of taut female need against his throat as she pressed her lips to it.
Beneath his hands her body softened and re
sponded magically, welcomingly, as though his touch was a special key. But he was the key to what she was feeling, Saskia acknowledged hazily, lost fathoms—oceans—-deep in her love for him.
‘There isn’t going to be much time...! want you too much,’ he told her almost bluntly, softening the words with another hotly passionate kiss that made her hips lift achingly against him whilst her whole body writhed in longing for him.
‘Next time we can take things more slowly,’ Andreas gasped harshly against her breast, his voice and actions revealing his increasing need.
Next time... Saskia felt as though she might die from happiness. ‘Next time’ meant that he shared her feelings, that he felt the same way as she did.
It seemed to Saskia almost as though the air be tween them throbbed with the intensity of their shared passion, with the way their bodies synchro nised together with a perfection surely only given to true lovers.
Each sigh, each gasp, each heartbeat served only to bind her closer to him, emotionally as well as physically, until she was captive to him and her de sire, her love, was laid as bare to him as her quiv. ering body.
When he finally whispered to her, ‘Now, Saskia... Oh, God, now!’ she knew her body had given him its most eager assent before her lips could even begin to frame the words she wanted to say. Automatically she was already wrapping the slim length of her legs around his waist, raising up to meet him, to feel him. She heard him cry out as he entered her, a sound of both torment and triumph, and then he was filling
her with his own unique intimate, heavy warmth, and her body, pausing only• to tense briefly in sweetly virginal shock, welcomed each ever deepening thrust of him within her.
Andreas felt her body’s unexpected resistance, his brain and his emotions even registered theft shock at what it meant, but his body refused to react to that knowledge. It loved the hot snug fit of her around him, holding and caressing him, urging him to forget what he had just experienced and to satisfy the age- old demand her femaleness was maldng on his male ness. Deeper, harder, stronger, until you reach the deepest heart of me, each delicately soft contraction of her flesh around his urged him. Deeper, stronger, surer, until you are there. Yes, there... there...
Andreas felt as though his heart and lungs might burst as he drove them both to the place where they could finally fly free.
Saskia cried out in softly sweet awe and relish as she experienced for herself what true completion was...what it truly meant to be a woman, completely fulfilled, elevated to a place, a state.. .an emotion so piercingly intense that it filled her eyes with hot, happy exhausted tears.
Someone was trembling... Was it her.. .or was it bath of them? She had heard Andreas groan in those final unbelievable seconds before he had wrapped his arms securely around her and then sent them both hurtling into infinity, calling out her name in a way that had made her tingle with raw emotion.
As he fought to regain control of his breathing, and himself, Andreas looked down at Saskia.
She was cxying, huge silent tears. Of pain? Because of him.. .because he had...?
Even now his thoughts skidded away from the re ality, the truth that his brain was trying to impose on him. She couldn’t have been a virgin... It was im possible.
But his self-anger and guilt told him that it wasn’t, and she had been. Unforgivably, he had hurt her and made her cry, selfishly taking his pleasure from her at the price of her innocence, so unable to control what he felt for her that he had not been able to stop when he knew that he should have done.
Sickened by his own behaviour, he pulled away from her.
‘Andreas...’ Saskia reached out towards him un certainly. Why was he withdrawing from her? Why wasn’t be holding her, caressing her... loving and re assuring her?
‘What is it.. .what is wrong?’ she begged him.
‘Do you really need to ask?’ Andreas responded tersely. ‘Why didn’t you tell me.. .stop me...?’
The anger in his voice was driving away the sweet mist of her joy and replacing it with anxiety and despair. It was obvious to her now that what had been so wonderful, so perfect, so unique for her had been nowhere near the same kind of experience for Andreas.
Andreas was furious with himself for not some how having had the insight to know. She had been a virgin, and he, damn him, had practically forced himself on her... He was disgusted with himself, his pride scorched not just by his actions but his com plete misreading of her.
‘You should have stopp me,’ he repeated as he got off the bed and went into the bathroom, returning with a towel wrapped around his naked body and his robe, which he handed to Saskia, and sitting down on the bed, turning away from her as she tried to put iton.
What would he say if she were to tell him that the last thing she had wanted was for him to Saskia wondered wretchedly. Her hands were shaking so much she could hardly pull the robe on, never mind fasten it, and when Andreas turned to look at her he gave an impatient, irritated sigh and pushed her hands out of the way, pulling it on projeriy for her.
‘You aren’t sale to be let out alone. You realise that, don’t you?’ he exploded savagely. ‘Even if I hadn’t, Aristotle—.-’
‘Aristotle!’ Saskia picked his name up with loath ing in her voice and in her eyes. She shuddered, and told him fiercely, ‘No He’s loathsome and...’
‘But you went for a walk with him.
‘No, I didn’t,’ Saskia protested.
‘Athena said you’d gone for a walk,’ Andreas in sisted, but Saskia wouldn’t let him finish.
‘Yes, I did.. .on my own. There were things I wanted...’ She stopped, lowering her head and look ing away from him. Then she told him in a tear-filled voice, ‘I want to go home, Andreas. I can’t...’
He knew what she was saying; of course he did, Andreas acknowledged—and why! Of course she wanted to get away from him alter what he had done...the way he had...
‘You should have told me.’ He stopped her sharply. ‘If I’d known that you were a virgin. .
He might be concerned about taking her virginity but he obviously had no compunction at all about breaking her heart, Saskia decided angrily. For her the loss of her emotional virginity was something that hurt far more—and would continue to hurt.
• How could she have been stupid enough to think he felt the same way about her as she did about him? She must have been crazy.. .had been crazy, she rec ognised grimly. Crazy with love for him!
‘I thought...’ she heard him saying, but now it was her turn not to allow him to finish.
‘I know what you thought,’ she cut in with sharp asperity. ‘You’ve already made it very plain what you thought of me, Andreas. You thought I was some cheap, silly woman throwing herself at you because of your money. And when I tried to explain ybu wouldn’t let me. You wanted to believe the worst of me. I suppose that Greek male pride of yours wouldn’t allow you to acknowledge that you might just possibly be wrong...’
Andreas looked at her. His jealousy had led to this.. .had led to his unforgivably appalling treatment of her. He ached to be able to take her in his arms, to kiss away the traces of tears still on her face, to hold her and whisper to her how much he loved her, how much he wanted to protect her and care for her.. .how much he wished he could wipe away the wrong he had done her, the pain he had caused her... He ached too, if he was honest, to lie her down on the bed beside him, to remove the robe she was wear ing and to kiss every silky inch of her adorable body,
to tell her how he felt about her, to show her too. But of course he could do no such thing. ..not now...
To keep his mind off what he was feeling...off the way he wanted her, he told her gruffly, ‘Explain to me now.’
For a moment Saskia was tempted to refuse, but what was the point? She would tell him, and then she would tell him that she intended to leave—but she certainly wouldn’t tell him why.
Just for an irrational silly female heartbeat of time she ached for him to reach for her, to stop hurting her with words she did not want to hear and to caress and kiss her until her poor deluded heart believed once again that he loved her as she did him.
But thankfully she had enough instinct for self- preservation left to stop herself from telling him so.
Instead she began to explain about Megan and Mark and LOrraine.
‘She made you do what?’ Andreas demanded an grily.
She was hesitantly explaining about Lorraine, and her insistence that Saskia make herself look more sexy, when, after a brief rap on the door, Na burst in and told them, ‘Grandfather has arrived. He wants to see both of you.’
‘I’d better get dressed,’ Sasida mumbled self- consciously.
Pia seemed oblivious to her embarrassment, add ing urgently, ‘Oh, and Andreas, there’s something 1 want to talk to you about...before you see Grandfather.’
‘If you’re going to ask for an advance on your
allowance,’ Saskia heard Andreas saying hardily to Pia as he walked with her to the door, allowing Saskia to make her own escape to the bathroom, ‘you haven’t picked a very good time.’

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ äíÇÑÇÇÇ  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)

ÇáßáãÇÊ ÇáÏáÇáíÉ (Tags)
ÑæÇíÇÊ ÑæãÇäÓíÉ ÃÌäÈíÉ, penny jordan
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÇáÑÏ Úáì ÇáãæÇÖíÚ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÑÝÇÞ ãáÝÇÊ