ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Aug 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 11023
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 5,556
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: darla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáí
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 758

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : darla ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
Goodnight 12

CHAPTER ELEVEN

BOXED in…Merlina was haunted by those words all night, tossing and turning in between snatches of sleep, which were broken by dreams of being helplessly trapped. This was the punishment for deception, she thought. Jake would never have thought of marriage except for her fake engagement to his grandfather. But what could she do about it?

Her father had been halfway to giving his approval of Jake as a son-in-law before they’d even left together, and no doubt he’d been charmed into proudly accepting him asfamily by the time they’d reached Uncle Georgio’s home in Glebe, probably asking him in for a celebratory drink to round off the evening and brag to his brother about Merlina’s fiancé.

The call she’d made to her mother had spilled into explanations for her absence—explanations that she knew her father would give, fed to him by Jake. They weren’t exactly lies, she’d told herself, though her mother’s happy relief that Merlina was finally off the shelf and getting married, and her delight over the family visit tomorrow, had been stomach-churning.

Expectations had been raised.

Expectations had to be met.

Boxed in.

The only person she could talk it over with was Byron—her partner in crime. He was an early riser in the morning so Merlina had time to discuss the situation with him well before Jake arrived at nine o’clock. She telephoned him at seven o’clock, feeling extremely tense and needing support.

Naturally the butler answered her call, immediately expressing concern. ‘Is everything all right, Ms Rossi? I did feel that Mr Jake was steamrolling you last night, taking matters into his own hands.’

‘He certainly did that, Harold,’ she replied with feeling. Amazing really, how comfortable she was with Byron’s household. She’d been treated so nicely there, everyone caring about her needs.

‘A very compelling young man,’ Harold remarked sympathetically.

‘Yes,’ she agreed. ‘And I have to talk to Byron about it, Harold. Is he available?’

‘I’m sure Mr Byron will be pleased to hear from you. Just a moment, Ms Rossi. I’ll transfer this call to him.’

‘Thank you.’

She took a few deep breaths as she waited, trying to reduce her stress level. It was instant balm to her jumpy nerves when she heard the rolling lilt of Byron’s charming voice.He would understand. He’d understood everything.

‘My dear Merlina, have we been successful in corralling the wild one?’

A hysterical little laugh bubbled out. ‘If you mean marriage, Jake corralled himself in front of my father last night.’

‘Your father?’ Said with fascinated interest.

Merlina needed no further prompting to pour out the whole sequence of events, which had led to her current position as Jake’s fiancée in her family’s eyes.

‘Ah, knight to the rescue,’ Byron remarked with relish. ‘Good boy! Shows he has inherited my gentlemanly instincts.’

‘I don’t want Jake to be a gentleman,’ she wailed. ‘I want him to mean it. Really mean it. And after he involved himself with my family, which believe me, won’t take this as a game, he mentioned divorce as a way out in the future. I know that’s fairly common in your family, Byron, but it isn’t in mine. They’re very Italian.Seriously Italian.’

‘Hmm…’ came the sound of serious pondering.

‘Take today, for instance,’ Merlina ran on, anxiety overflowing. ‘He’s going to land right in it at the family barbecue—all my married brothers and sisters and their children, not to mention uncles and aunts and grandparents and the new baby—the whole tribe hugging and kissing him in welcome, then cross-examining him about his life.’ She heaved a worried sigh.

‘None of them divorced, huh?’ Byron queried.

‘Nor ever likely to be,’ rolled emphatically off her tongue.

‘You know, Jake might like that. The sense of solid family. Never had it himself. It could rope him right in, Merlina.’

‘Or make him run a million miles.’

‘No…no…he won’t do that. He’ll view it as a challenge. Winning them over.’

‘A game,’ she said despairingly.

‘Not necessarily. You’re worrying too much, my dear. Jake would not have brought up marriage if it wasn’t on his mind.’

‘Because you—we—put it there, Byron.’

‘A seed doesn’t grow if it hasn’t been planted in ground that suits it. You and he suit each other very well. That is very, very obvious to me.’

We’re good together. We’re great together.

Her heart thumped with unquenchable hope as she remembered Jake’s words.

‘Give it a chance,’ Byron advised. ‘See how it goes.’

Precisely what Jake had said.

Was she worrying too much?

‘You want this, Merlina,’ Byron reminded her. ‘You wouldn’t have played the game with me if you hadn’t wanted to bring Jake to heel. He’s there now because he wants to be there. Let him be embraced by your family. Go with the flow. Be happy, my dear. A man likes his woman to be happy.’

Difficult to be happy when she felt so agitated, yet Byron was right. She had wanted this outcome, except it had happened upon her so fast, she couldn’t bring herself to trust it, especially when divorce had been mentioned in virtually the same breath as marriage.

‘Okay, I’ll go with the flow today and see how it pans out,’ she said, screwing herself to the sticking point.

‘Good girl! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Got to be in there playing the game,’ Byron cheerfully chanted.

Which brought home to her how very alike grandfather and grandson were. She was probably off her head to be asking advice from Byron. On the other hand, he had given her an insight into where Jake was coming from. People from broken homes didn’t believe in lasting promises. That didn’t mean they didn’t want a commitment to stay solid. Maybe—just maybe—she could work it so the game with Jake never ended.

‘Thank you, Byron,’ she said gratefully. ‘You’ve just bolstered me up for the next round.’

‘Bravo! And the best of luck to you, my dear.’

‘I’ll keep your diamond ring safe until I see you again,’ she promised.

‘Wear Jake’s with pride, Merlina. He’d like that.’

‘Will do. ‘Bye for now.’

‘Happy days!’

She was smiling as she put the telephone receiver down.Happy days …probably a fool’s paradise but why not enjoy what Jake gave her while she could, anyway? Her body clenched at the memory of last night’s sexual pleasure. He was such a great lover and it had felt like being loved—beautifully, wonderfully loved. If he wanted their relationship to last, she had to give it a chance!

There was a happy spring in her step as she raced off to her bedroom to decide on what to wear this morning. Definitely classy elegance for the kind of jewellery shop Jake would take her to if he was intent on putting just as flashy a ring as his grandfather’s on her finger.

She chose one of her new purchases; a form-fitting red dress, printed with abstract splashes of black and white, featuring a wide square neckline, little cap sleeves and a wide woven belt in white. It was simple but quite striking, especially teamed with high-heeled white sandals and a white clutch bag. Class, she had worked out, could be achieved by meticulous attention to detail.

On this principle, she applied a matching red varnish to her toenails and fingernails, took immense care with her make-up, and as a final touch, attached long dangly vintage gold earrings to her lobes. To her mind, these went with the vintage style gold watch—a twenty-first birthday gift from her grandmother—which was the only other jewellery she wore, having hidden Byron’s ring at the bottom of an open bag of peas in the freezer.

The doorbell rang at five minutes to nine. No nervous waiting around for Jake to come, for which she was intensely grateful. Her heart was fluttering wildly enough as it was. She opened the door to find him superbly dressed in a pin-striped grey suit, white shirt, gold silk tie, and looking more dashingly handsome than ever, especially when he smiled at her, his dark eyes dancing with pleasure in her appearance.

‘Wow! When you make up your mind to sock it to me, Merlina, you sure sock it to me. Red is definitely your colour.’

She was instantly reminded of the red rose bikini. Boldness had served her well as the blonde bimbo from the birthday cake, so she impulsively struck a flaunting pose, jutting out one hip and planting her hands on her tightly belted waist. ‘Thought I’d better wear it since you’re into rescuing scarlet women from damnation,’ she flipped at him, lowering her eyelashes for a sizzling veiled look.

He laughed, and with a bold move of his own, scooped her back into the hall, closed the door behind them and wrapped her in a very possessive embrace. ‘So, the real Merlina emerges in a full frontal assault,’ he purred like a big cat presented with a delicious dinner. He grinned from ear to ear as he teasingly added, ‘Am I man enough for her?’

She arched an eyebrow. ‘Depends on whether you got through last night unscathed by my father.’

‘Passed with flying colours,’ he declared with relish. ‘Bring on any challenge you like. I’m up for it.’

‘Mmm…’ In sheer giddy delight at feeling his erection against her stomach, knowing that seeing her had aroused it and madly wanting to stoke his desire for her even further, she brazenly rubbed her lower body against his, smiling as she said, ‘Up for something else, too.’

His answering smile was positively wicked. ‘The only question is…are you? Right this minute!’

He started walking her backwards, his thighs pushing hers, steering her across the living room towards the dining table, which was set beside the window. ‘Where are you taking me?’ she asked, startled by the instant reaction she’d triggered and barely finding breath enough to speak. Her pulse was galloping. Excitement was rushing through her like a freight train.

‘I’d take you anywhere, Merlina Rossi,’ he answered, his eyes smouldering with sexual intent as he propped her against the edge of the table and started gathering up her skirt.

‘Not tonight in my parents’ home, you won’t,’ she flashed at him, momentarily panicking at the thought. ‘We’ll be given separate bedrooms. And you have to respect that, Jake.’

‘Okay. How about now?’

His thumbs were already hooked on the waistband of her panties, ready to pull them down, but he paused teasingly, confident of her consent but also wanting to make her say it out loud.

‘Do we have time?’ she posed coquettishly.

He laughed. ‘For this we make time.’

‘Fine by me,’ she admitted, dying to have him inside her again and exhilarated that he wanted to be there.

She stepped out of the panties as he drew them down. No pantihose today. She’d left her legs bare, wanting her red toenails to show against the white sandals. Which he left on. With her skirt hitched up around her hips, he sat her on the table and moved between her legs, clearly intent on quick action. Only essential undressing this morning.

‘Maybe you’d better tell me our schedule for today,’ she said, watching him unzip, wanting to see what she’d already felt, her inner muscles already pulsing with the anticipation of being stroked and pleasured, wanting to squeeze her own possession of him, feel him fill her so deeply she couldn’t think of anything to worry about.

He shot her his devil-may-care grin. ‘You first.’ He extracted a condom from his wallet and proceeded to roll it on.

Won’t have to use that when we’re married,Merlina thought, which instantly reminded her…What about children?Her heart jiggled uncertainly. Would Jake want to be a father?

‘Then off we go to buy a ring,’ he said, shooting her another grin. ‘For a scarlet woman, I think we should choose a ruby. It can be set with diamonds but we should definitely have a red-blooded ruby at the centre.’

Laughter gurgled from her throat. Jake Devila was a terrible playboy but she loved him. Loved everything about him. ‘It won’t look like the other one,’ she pointed out.

‘Which I hope you’ve taken off.’ He whipped her hand down from around his neck to check. ‘Ah!’ he said with satisfaction.

‘I put it in a safe place,’ she rattled out.

‘This place is mine.’ He stunned her by drawing her ring finger into his mouth, sucking on it as his eyes glittered his own rampant desire to possess her.

It took a few moments to catch her breath enough to say, ‘My father will notice the difference.’

He released her finger and answered with his usual arrogant confidence. ‘Your father thinks I surprised you with that one. You didn’t really like it so today we chose one together. How’s that?’

He’d slid between her thighs, seeking entry, and was teasingly poised to push forward. ‘Fine!’ she approved, finding it extremely erotic to be carrying on a conversation while everything within her was thumping a wild welcome to the sexual connection with him. ‘What’s next?’ she asked, feeling wickedly provocative.

‘Right now I want to feel your flesh ringing mine,’ he said, forging the deeply intimate link, then lowering her back onto the table as she wound her legs around his hips, instinctively compelling the fulfilment of her need for him. ‘My scarlet woman,’ he murmured with relish as his hands glided over the curves of her breasts, still trapped inside the bodice of her dress.

She smiled, loving the possessive pleasure in his voice, revelling in the desire that couldn’t wait. He drove himself in hard, his body slamming against her and she arched up, squeezing him in blissful joy. A wild savagery leapt into his eyes. He leaned over and kissed her, his tongue driving into her mouth, plunging rhythmically to assert complete ownership, hunting for sexual domination which she readily conceded, revelling in the intense physical passion, the climactic urgency of it, moving together, reaching for the same ecstatic release, a fusing frenzy of explosive excitement that peaked exultantly and floated into sweet endearments as he cuddled her close, gruffly whispering, ‘My gorgeous girl…you are unbelievable…so beautiful…awesome…’

She ran her fingers through his hair, adoring every touch of him. ‘So are you,’ she whispered back.

He lifted his head, brushing his lips over hers. ‘What am I going to do with you?’ It sounded as though she was a puzzle to which he had no reference points for resolving.

‘You said you were going to marry me,’ she reminded him.

He laughed, his eyes twinkling at hers. ‘That’s a definite start.’

A start.

But would there be a finish line?

Merlina fiercely clamped down on this negative train of thought. Jake wanted to marry her. Maybe it would work out perfectly. Not to take the chance was unthinkable.

‘We go now and buy the ring,’ he ran on. ‘Then since I feel on top of the world, we’ll have a celebratory lunch at Level 21 and enjoy overlooking Sydney . After which we’ll catch our two-thirty flight toGriffith …’

‘You’ve booked it?’

‘Mmm…’ He flashed his wicked grin. ‘And since we’re doomed to separate bedrooms in your family home, maybe you can take me for a walk in the vineyard your father told me about. Before we retire for the night.’

The instant thrill at this suggestion told Merlina that sex with Jake was already highly addictive and she couldn’t possibly turn her back on it at this juncture. Whatever the future brought, she would never regret having known the best of Jake Devila.

‘There’s no such thing as privacy anywhere near my family, Jake,’ she warned ruefully. ‘You’ll be swamped by them this evening.’

‘I have you as my lifeboat.’

‘Uh-uh.’ She shook her head. ‘You’ll lose respect if you look to me for rescue. It’s sink or swim for you.’

‘I’m a natural born survivor,’ he claimed, not the slightest dint in his confidence.

But it was a different game, Merlina thought, and the rules would be foreign to him. ‘Just take it easy,’ she advised seriously. ‘Don’t try too hard.’ She wanted her family to like him, to accept him into their fold.

He gently stroked the worry lines from her forehead. ‘I’ve got your father onside,’ he reminded her. ‘I promise you, it won’t be a problem, Merlina. Don’t fret over it.’

She couldn’t help it. Jake was into winning but laying a solid foundation with her family required genuine responses that struck harmonious chords. If that didn’t happen…well, she did have the choice of going it alone with him. Though even contemplating that path brought a scary sense of loss. She might have chosen to live apart from her family most of the time but she wanted them there for her. As they’d always been.

‘Have you packed a bag ready to go?’ he asked.

‘Yes. It’s in my bedroom.’

‘Good. Mine’s in the car.’ He sat her up on the table and kissed her again, a very fresh reminder of what they’d just experienced together, ending in a sigh of resignation over the time factor. ‘Guess we’d better move, tidy up and head into the city.’

‘Guess we’d better,’ she agreed, echoing his sigh.

He smiled. ‘No argument from you this morning?’

She cocked her head considering, giving him a look that telegraphed he was flirting with danger as she replied, ‘Not until you do something I don’t like.’

He laughed and set her down on her feet, hugging her close for a few more moments of sweet togetherness. ‘I promise not to be a bad boy in front of your family. Okay?’

‘I live in hope that you can keep that promise,’ she said with dry irony, knowing that any challenge was meat and drink to Jake.

‘Watch me,’ he threw back at her, not the least bit intimidated by the prospect of being measured as an appropriate husband.

Maybe their relationship would thrive if she could just keep throwing out challenges, Merlina thought, as she was scooped along with himto get tidy.

But there was still the burning issue of parenthood.

How would he respond to Mario and Gina’s new baby?

She really would have to watch Jake.

Actions were much more telling than words.
[

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 11-10-07, 07:32 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 22
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: darla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáídarla ÚÖæ Ðæ ÊÞííã ÚÇáí

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Goodnight 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

JAKE had time for some private reflection as he waited for Merlina to emerge from the ladies’ room at the airport. She’d insisted on their changing clothes before boarding their flight to Griffith and he had already swapped his suit for jeans and a green sports shirt—suitable for any barbecue—and was wondering what kind of outfit she would choose for the family party.

He’d learnt a great deal about the real Merlina in the past twenty-four hours, one revelation after another. She’d caught his interest and intrigued him from their very first meeting, but knowing her far more intimately now, being with her, was exhilarating on every level. His proposal of marriage had been impulsive but he didn’t regret it. In fact, it gave him immense satisfaction to seehis ring on Merlina’s finger.

It was weird in a way, since he hadn’t given marriage a thought until last night. He’d always figured it was not worth the trouble; all the fuss of a showcase wedding, a few years of finding out and suffering through incompatibilities, then paying for the mistake in the divorce court.

But he’d stepped up to the plate for Merlina without a second’s hesitation. What’s more, he felt really good about it. The trick now was to make her feel good about it. She didn’t yet. She’d kept glancing at the ruby and diamond ring all through lunch as though she couldn’t really believe it was there, and she was uptight about this meeting with her family, despite the assurances he’d given her about being on his best behaviour.

He had more or less trapped her into this situation and she probably had a lot of doubts about marrying a man she viewed as a playboy. It was true enough that he made a game of life—best way to deal with it, in his opinion—but that didn’t mean he couldn’t stick at something if he wanted to. If he had good reason to.

Thegood reason came sailing out of the ladies’ room dressed in figure-hugging white slacks and a red silky top with an open white collar—sporty and sexy. The tense look on her face eased into a smile of relief as she took in his changed appearance. Jake felt no relief at all. Just the sight of her aroused him again and he didn’t know how he was going to contain this rampant desire until tomorrow. Hopefully her family would provide many distractions.

‘Am I more acceptable now?’ he asked quizzically.

Her smile took on a slight wince. ‘You did look verycity in your suit.’

‘So we’re into images again, are we?’ he teased.

Amazingly she blushed and he caught a glimpse of anxious vulnerability in her eyes as she tried to explain. ‘We are stepping into their world, Jake. I know you don’t fit…won’t fit…’

‘Hey!’ He stepped forward and drew her into his embrace. ‘I’m happy to go with the flow wherever it takes me, Merlina. And I’m perfectly comfortable in this gear, as you very well know. It’s what I wear to work.’

‘Yes. Yes, it is.’ The reminder relaxed her.

Trying to lighten her mood further, he said, ‘You know what your problem is? You didn’t plan this yourself so you don’t have every detail under your control. But sometimes, my bride-to-be, you have to wing it.’

She laughed somewhat nervously. ‘Believe me, I’m winging it, Jake.’

‘Then come fly with me,’ he tossed back at her, smiling to win her compliance and confidence as he retained one arm around her waist and turned her to walk with him to the departure lounge.

Jake had no concern whatsoever overfitting . It was simply a matter of adapting to the circumstances and blending with the environment. He’d been doing it most of his life, having learnt thesink or swim principle at a very early age. His parents’ divorce had messed him around for a while but it had forged a strong sense of independence from how they carried on. In fact, the game ofsurvival of the fittest had always appealed to his competitive nature and he was not about to lose today.

Merlina fell into step with him, biting back the fear that flying with Jake Devila might end in crashing and burning. They rolled their repacked overnight bags along with them to stow in the lockers above their seats on the plane. No waiting for baggage at the other end of the flight. She’d telephoned her mother to give the time of their arrival and had been told that two of her brothers, Danny who was thirty-four, and Joe, thirty-three, would meet them and bring them home.

She knew both of them would have regarded Jake as a city slicker in his classy suit. First impressions were important. Though Jake was right about images. Of course he could seem to fit in. And no doubt he would work at fitting in. He was very skilled at handling people. But what would he be thinking and feeling behind the easy charm he would apply?

She knew he wanted her.

And meant to have her as long as the wanting lasted.

Apart from lust and the will to win, Jake’s feelings were a mystery to her and she needed to know them before they got married. As much as she yearned to be with Jake, she couldn’t really wing marriage. It was too important. A contract for life. Involving children.

She had to watch him.

Had to see.

Not be blinded by her own feelings for him—the need to hold on which was growing stronger by the minute.

Jake used the flight time to pump Merlina for all the names and relationships of the family members who would be attending the party, sorting them out in his mind, making associations and placing them in his memory bank. It was like preparing for a business meeting. The numbers were bigger for this meeting, but by mentally reciting the connections over and over, he felt he had them pegged well enough to facilitate introductions and subsequent conversations.

However, he wasn’t prepared for the sheer exuberance of Danny’s and Joe’s welcome; two big burly men picking Merlina up, swinging her around, hugging and kissing with real affection, clapping him on the back, shaking his hand with both of theirs, shooting happy comments at them.

‘Hey, Merlina! Got yourself a man at last!’

‘Good man, Jake! Thought we’d never get Miss Independence hitched up with anyone.’

‘Mamma’s in seventh heaven what with a birth and a wedding to celebrate.’

‘Going to have us a great party tonight!’

The warmth of their uninhibited joy swirled around Jake, tapping into hollow places in his soul and making him feel strangely uneasy. He wasn’t used to such genuine bonhomie. It wasn’t practised charm. It came from the heart. His own smile felt oddly false in comparison to their delighted grins.

An animated conversation was carried on as the two brothers escorted them out of the airport terminal and to a four-wheel-drive Land Rover in the car-park. Once they were settled in the vehicle and on their way to the Rossi vineyard, more personal attention was focussed on Jake.

‘So you were Merlina’s boss,’ Danny started. ‘Tell us about your business, Jake.’

He explained what Signature Sounds entailed. Aware that some European ringtone companies had earned a bad reputation for hooking in kids and signing them up for contracts that exploited them, Jake took care to let Merlina’s family know that his sales were straightforward, no trickery involved. Customers got only what they wanted and were prepared to pay for and anyone under eighteen had to have a parent countersign a contract.

Both Danny and Joe owned cell-phones and were computer literate—technology that no business could do without in today’s world—but they expressed amazement at what Jake sold.

‘You mean people actually pay to replace the usual beeping with some tra-la-la as a call signal on their cell-phone?’

‘It personalises communication,’ Jake pointed out.

‘What’s wrong with giving your name?’

‘Nothing. This is a novelty. It amuses people.’

‘Probably drives them mad, too.’

‘In that event it gets a very quick response.’

‘Yeah, right! Shut the damned thing off.’

‘Noise pollution.’

‘Not necessarily,’ Jake corrected, feeling uncharacteristically defensive. ‘We market a broad range of sounds, some very pleasant to the ear. More so than beeping.’

‘And you’ve built a business out of this?’

The sense that they thought it was stupid trivia was very strong. Jake had never questioned the value of what he did. He’d thought the idea was marketable and he’d been proven right. Financially it had been a huge success, which he naturally enjoyed. But what he sold had no intrinsic worth. It was ephemeral stuff. Somehow that realisation knocked the shine off his pride in his achievement.

‘The most popular sounds Jake has marketed have made millions of sales worldwide,’ Merlina quietly supplied.

‘You’re kidding!’

‘No. Lots of people get a buzz out of using them,’ she stated matter-of-factly. ‘It gives them a sense of individuality, expressing something about themselves. Don’t knock it just because you’ve never thought of doing it.’

She was defending him.

Or attacking her brothers for being narrow-minded.

Was that why she had left here and come to the city, seeking a broader life?

‘Didn’t mean to knock it, Jake,’ Danny said apologetically. ‘If it works for you, that’s fine.’

‘Guess we find it a strange world out there,’ Joe remarked ruefully.

‘A very diverse world,’ Jake put in, feeling better about his business and giving Merlina’s hand an appreciative squeeze for her support.

They’d headed away from the town ofGriffith , straight into the countryside from the airport, and the brothers now started to point out the vineyards belonging to the family, informing Jake of the different types of grapes they cultivated and what wines they made.

Their pride in the property they owned and in what they produced set off another wave of discomfort in Jake. Merlina was right. He’d stepped into a different world with these people—a more solid, tangible, tactile world—and he was suddenly envious of the belonging they obviously felt to this place.

They’d been born here, raised here, worked here and would probably die here. A narrow existence, Jake told himself, but they exuded a *******ment he hadn’t experienced himself. He’d never become attached to a place. His mother had liked changing houses. The longest he’d stayed anywhere was at boarding school, which had been tolerable enough, though not a home from home. His grandfather’s mansion at Vaucluse had been the one constant in his life, but visiting was not the same as belonging. Even the penthouse apartment he now owned had no emotional tug on him.

‘Here we are!’ Joe announced as the Land Rover was turned towards a gate, which was inhabited by a tribe of children hanging off its cross-bars. Two dogs—aLabrador and a boxer—were prancing around behind them, barking their heads off. Joe leaned out the window to yell, ‘Open up, you kids.’

A boy jumped down to push the gate open while the rest stayed on for the ride, waving and shouting excitedly.

‘Hey, Merlina, we’ve got a new baby brother.’

‘Merlina, we want to see your boyfriend.’

‘He’s her fiancé, not her boyfriend.’

‘I want to meet him first.’

‘No, me, me, me.’

‘Merlina, how about walking down to the house with us?’

A loud chorus of ‘Yeahs,’ had Joe stopping the Land Rover and turning his head towards the back seat to ask, ‘Do you want to walk from here?’

Merlina looked to Jake.

‘Wouldn’t want to disappoint them. Let’s go,’ he said, opening his door, ready to alight.

By the time he rounded the vehicle, Merlina was already out and the mob of children was surging forward to greet and meet, the dogs racing up to sniff and be patted.

Jake had never owned a dog—no pet of any kind—and he wondered what it might have been like to be greeted every day with tail-wagging affection. It would surely have taken away some of the loneliness of his boyhood. These children were lucky, having a big, close-knit family, mixing together with natural ease, having a sense of permanence in their environment which allowed for pets to live with them.

Joe and Danny drove on, having been relieved of escort duty, and Jake enjoyed the new company; the boys’ perky questions, the coy shyness of the little girls, the teasing good humour that flashed around all of them. It was obvious that Merlina was a favourite with her nieces and nephews. He noticed she wasn’t bored by them. They weren’t a nuisance to her. And she didn’t talk down to them, treating everything they said to her with natural interest, drawing them out and giving responses that gave them pleasure or made them laugh.

It struck Jake that she would be a good mother, which jolted him into remembering she wanted children of her own. That was part of the marriage deal for her and he hadn’t given it a thought. He started studying the children milling around him, trying to imagine himself as a father. Was it a role he wanted to play?

His own father had absconded toEurope after his mother had divorced him and Jake hadn’t seen him since. He’d envied the kids at school who had dads come to watch their sporting events. A father should be there, Jake thought, taking an interest, giving encouragement and approval. No one should have children unless they were prepared to do that. Which meant giving a lot of time to them.

A little girl—was it three-year-old Rosa?—tugged at his jeans to gain his attention, looking up at him with big, imploring eyes. ‘My legs are tired,’ she said woefully. ‘Will you carry me on your shoulders, Jake?’

‘I sure will.’ He hoisted her up and she dug her fingers into his hair to hold on. He’d never carried a child like this but she obviously trusted him to do it right and knew how to balance herself. Her father must have made her feel confident about it.

‘If you’re so tired,Rosa , you won’t be able to play soccer after dinner,’ one of the boys remarked.

‘Oh, yes I will,’ she said with emphatic determination. ‘I just need a little rest, that’s all.’

‘You never score a goal anyway,’ he tossed back.

‘I’m going to have Jake on my side tonight,’ she retaliated. ‘He won’t let you take the ball off me.’

‘I think you’ve just been electedRosa ’s champion,’ Merlina said, giving him a rueful smile.

He raised his eyebrows in an appeal for help. ‘What does that mean?’

Everyone rushed in to explain. Poppa had set up a junior soccer field for them behind the house. The adults could play but they were only allowed to trap and pass the soccer ball on to the children, not score a goal. They always had a game after a family barbecue. The two smallest children picked their teams, soRosa was one captain and four-year-old Genarro was the other. The women didn’t play. They sat on the veranda and cheered on the teams.

‘A bit of discrimination here?’ Jake tilted at Merlina.

She rolled her eyes. ‘You can’t beat family tradition.’

‘You played when you were a kid?’

‘I have the record for most goals scored by a girl.’

He laughed. ‘I bet you were a tiger on the field.’

‘It was a challenge.’

‘And you took it on in your usual tenacious manner, refusing to be defeated.’

She gave him an ironic look. ‘You know me too well.’

‘No. But I’m getting there.’

Like learning about where she’d come from; this huge family community, which actually had traditions passed down from generation to generation, a world with different values to those he was familiar with. He’d moved himself past the sense of having been cheated of a family life when he was a boy, yet he was feeling it again now, very strongly, so strongly it stirred a long-suppressed anger at the parental neglect that had left him deprived of all this.

Merlina was right.

He didn’t fit.

All his bearings ran along different tracks.

But something in him longed to fit.

Being here was like looking over a fence at what should have been. It hurt in ways he hadn’t anticipated. The fence was uncrossable. Or was it? He couldn’t change his past but he could determine his future. Maybe, if he had children with Merlina, he could climb over to the other side, sharing it with them.

He turned his gaze to the big sprawling house they were approaching. It was a country house, wide verandas running all around it, trees providing shade and handy branches for children to climb. Garden beds were a profusion of colour with petunias and geraniums mixed in with the greenery of shrubs. It was not a show-place. It looked very much lived in—a real family home.

To one side of it was a huge shed with a row of vehicles parked in front of it; pick-up trucks, four-wheel drives, station wagons, a couple of sedans, nothing that screamed status class. It wasn’t for a lack of money, Jake thought. Properties like this were probably worth a fortune. Any other symbols of prosperity were simply irrelevant. These people weren’t out to impress. They were who they were—the Rossi family.

Merlina’s family.

Joe and Danny were leaning on the veranda railing near the front door, watching their approach. They were joined by another brother.

‘That’s Mario, the father of the new baby,’ Merlina informed him.

Her father emerged from the house, standing at the top of the front steps to welcome them. ‘All you children scoot off and play now,’ he commanded. ‘I’ll be taking Jake and Merlina in to Nonna.’

He was instantly obeyed. No back-chat. Jake liftedRosa down from his shoulders. The little girl thanked him and skipped off after the others, her legs in good working order again.

‘I see my daughter has you twined around her finger already, Jake,’ Danny commented with a wide grin.

Angelo Rossi laughed as he grasped Jake’s hand in greeting. ‘Our littleRosa is a cute one. But wait until you see my new grandson. You’ll be wanting a boy just like him.’

‘Papa, we’re not even married yet,’ Merlina protested.

‘So? What is marriage without children? The two of you will make beautiful bambinos.’

It was expected of him, and not just by Merlina, Jake thought. Was he up for it? Seriously? This whole family thing was part and parcel of marrying her. She had warned him and he could feel her tension mounting as he was introduced to Mario and did his best to warmly congratulate him on his new son.

Angelo steered him inside and down a long hallway to a huge kitchen at the end of it—the biggest kitchen Jake had ever seen with copper pots and pans hanging everywhere and a long table in the centre of it, laden with bowls of salads and baskets of bread. The room seemed crowded with women—big women—all of them looking him over with avid interest.

One of them clapped her hands in delighted approval, opened her arms wide and swooped on him, hugging him to her very ample bosom and kissing him effusively on both cheeks.

‘My wife, Maria,’ Angelo said proudly, adding, ‘Merlina’s mother,’ for good measure.

‘You are so welcome!’ Maria cried. ‘So very welcome! I despaired of Merlina ever marrying anyone and you…’

‘Oh, Mamma,’ Merlina groaned.

Maria ignored her, patting his cheeks. ‘Such a handsome man…’

‘You have a beautiful daughter,’ Jake found wits enough to say.

She released him to clap her hands again. ‘This is so exciting!’

Then recollecting herself she turned to the other women, literally presenting him for more hugs and kisses as he was introduced to Merlina’s aunts, sisters and sisters-in-law. Being welcomed into the bosom of this family took on a very physical meaning. He’d got into the way of it by the last introduction and quite happily succumbed to be being squashed into soft female flesh. It felt surprisingly good, a far cry from the air-kisses of the social set inSydney .

Gina, the new mother, took him over to a bassinet to show off her baby son. ‘He’s asleep now but I’ll let you hold him later when he wakes up,’ she offered as though he would naturally want to.

Jake wasn’t at all sure about that. It was the smallest human being he had ever seen, but its tiny face was sort of endearing, framed as it was by a mass of spiky black hair. ‘I can see he’s going to have lots of personality,’ was the best comment he could come up with.

It seemed to please Gina and the other women laughed their approval. He glanced at Merlina and caught a drowning look of despair in her eyes. It hit him instantly that she didn’t believe his marriage proposal would survive having her family’s expectations pressed upon him. She was twisting his ring around her finger in agitation, as though already thinking of taking it off.

He reacted without a second thought, moving quickly to hug her to his side, stopping the fretting movement by taking her left hand and holding it out for the women to see the ruby and diamond ring. ‘Merlina is not used to wearing this yet. I want you to tell her how great it looks on her finger so she won’t feel nervous about it,’ he said, spreading an appealing smile to all of them.

‘Oh, Merlina! It is beautiful!’ her mother cried, rushing forward for a closer examination.

Angelo laughed and said, ‘Leave Merlina to the women, Jake. It is time we men fired up the barbecue to cook the children’s dinner.’

‘Yes, yes, the meat is on the tray ready for you, Angelo,’ Maria tossed at him. ‘Off you both go.’

No choice, Jake realised.

He had to do what was expected of him.

While he hadn’t thought through all that a marriage with Merlina Rossi would encompass, he knew one thing for certain.

He didn’t want to let her out of his life.

Not at this point.

Possibly not ever.

She was beginning to represent all the good things he’d missed out on.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 11-10-07, 10:43 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 23
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Dong 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

MERLINA watched Jake accompany her father out of the kitchen, stunned that he had just reinforced their engagement by focussing her family’s attention on the ring, which was being volubly admired even as she struggled to understand his action.

Why had he done it?

She knew Danny and Joe had rubbed him up the wrong way with their comments on his business, belittling it, then carrying on about their own. She’d sensed his irritation, his mental withdrawal, though he’d been polite enough to cover it up, smoothly inquiring about the wine-making process, pretending to be impressed bytheir export figures.

Being swamped by the children hadn’t seemed to bother him. The idea of the soccer game tradition had definitely twigged amusement, but she’d almost died on the spot when her father had charged in about havingbambinos . While there could be no escaping the subject—she did want to be a mother—to have it shoved point-blank in Jake’s face…she’d imagined the idea of marriage with her moving straight into a death spiral.

Then his shoulders had stiffened as her mother enveloped him in one of her compelling hugs, invading his personal space like a runaway train. Just prior to that he’d been looking around the women in the kitchen, probably comparing them negatively to the sleek sophisticated women he was used to. She could almost hear the questions in his mind—

Would Merlina blow out to super size in a few years’ time?

Is this what happened when Italian women had children?

Of course, everyone had to get in on the hug/kiss act and Jake had managed to take the poker out of his spine. For a man who’d always preferred skinny women, he had stuck in there accepting the embraces of the plumper variety with a fair show of appreciating their generous welcome, for which Merlina was extremely grateful. Indeed, he hadn’t put a foot wrong, despite being plunged into alien territory.

But what hethought was something else entirely and Merlina acutely felt the strain of wondering what was going on in his mind. And heart. Especially when Gina had put him in the position of having to admire her new son. Coming on top of thebambino comment from her father, Jake’s head must have been spinning with the obligations and responsibilities attached to marrying into the Rossi family.

It was probably the first time in his life he’d wanted to escape from a roomful of women, though being with the men en masse would undoubtedly present other awkward moments. Had he ever been expected to help cook a barbecue in his entire playboy life? To Merlina’s mind it was a case of jumping out of the frying pan, straight into the fire.

And it wasn’t so good for her in the frying pan area, either, having to smile happily while showing off the ruby and diamond ring and field a plethora of questions about Jake and their engagement. She couldn’t feel comfortable about it. Everything had happened too fast, and she suspected Jake had leapt onto this marriage merry-go-round without seeing it as a serious step to take.

In the midst of this emotional turmoil, Sylvana suggested she help her arrange the platters of antipasta, obviously wanting to have her own personal curiosity satisfied. The laser treatment on her eyes had been successful. She wasn’t wearing glasses any more. Which made the inquisitive interest beamed at Merlina far too bright for comfort.

‘Now I know why you cut your hair and wore such revealing clothes,’ she archly remarked.

‘That went with the job, Sylvana.’

Which reminded her that looking for a new job had gone right out of her head and some decisions about her future had to be made very soon.

‘Oh, come on!’ Sylvana chided. ‘A gorgeous man like that! I bet you fell in love with him on the spot and would have done anything to please him.’

She was about to say,It wasn’t like that, then swallowed the words, realising there was more than a grain of truth in them. ‘Perhaps you’re right. I was attracted to him from the start.’

‘Who wouldn’t be? And having the job as his personal assistant certainly gave you anin . Nothing like constant proximity for catching a guy’s interest,’ Sylvana said smugly.

It was more her departure from the job that had triggered Jake’s pursuit of her. Plus his furious frustration over her subsequent attachment to his grandfather. He’d been goaded into chasing after her, and she’d done the goading out of her own frustration with him. They’d both wanted to win, but they should both take a long hard look at what winning meant in case the end result was a terrible mistake.

‘When are you going to get married?’ Sylvana pressed.

‘I don’t know. We haven’t talked about dates yet.’

‘Mamma will want to know. You can’t not have the wedding here.’

Irritated by her sister’s pushiness, Merlina burst out, ‘Stop laying down the law to me. I won’t be boxed in, Sylvana. This is my life. And Jake’s. We’ll marry wherever we want to.’

Shock ran around the kitchen. Everyone stopped doing what they were doing to stare at her—the rebel who had left the nest, rather than fit in like the rest of them.

‘Merlina…’ her mother started, looking apprehensively at her wayward daughter.

‘Mamma, I’m not even sure I do want to marry him,’ she cried, giving vent to her bottled up anxiety.

Her mother frowned. ‘But you love him, don’t you?’

‘That’s not the point!’

‘You have been a career woman too long, Merlina. You are nervous about being a wife.’

She clutched at that straw, feeling she was drowning in this whole situation. ‘Yes. Yes, I am.’

Her mother nodded knowingly. ‘This is why Jake was concerned about your keeping his ring.’

‘I just don’t know, Mamma. He…he surprised me with it.’

‘He is a good man, Merlina. Your father likes him. Give it time. We will not rush you into planning.’

Relief poured through her. ‘Thanks, Mamma. I’m not ready for planning.’

‘Always you think too much, Merlina. With Jake you should go with your heart.’

There was a chorus of fervent agreement around the kitchen. Merlina was inundated with the joys of being a wife and mother, the comfort of having a partner to share everything with, etc etc etc. It was a constant eulogy to marriage, which only stopped when all the prepared food was taken out to the long tressle table on the back veranda and there was nothing more to do until the meat was cooked.

Merlina tried to take her mother’s advice about not thinking too much. However, she did not regret her outburst in the kitchen. At least the family was now warned that the engagement might not last, and Jake would not be subjected to a whole lot of plans about the wedding. Indeed her mother must have had a private word to her father about their unmarried daughter’snerves .

He was relatively subdued over dinner, and when it came time for the toasts to the new baby and the newly engaged couple with prized wine from a very good vintage year, he did not rave on about looking forward to morebambinos , nor did he break into grandiose suggestions for setting out marquees on the soccer field for the wedding reception.

Jake was favoured with much kindly attention.

Merlina was treated warily.

Apparently her father did not want his runaway daughter to become a runaway bride.

To his credit, Jake had settled into a good-humoured groove; smiling, laughing, happily joining in general conversations, listening attentively to whatever her family had to say. Underneath the table his thigh pressed against hers, silently communicating the desire for more intimacy with her. She ached for more intimacy with him and knew she didn’t want to give it up, but if a proper marriage was not to his taste, then she really should break up with him.

After dinner, Rosa and Genarro picked their soccer teams, and off they all trotted to occupy the field and get the game under way. The score was three all in the second half when Jake trapped the ball on the wing and passed it to Rosa who was waiting hopefully in a striking position near the other team’s goal. Two of the boys raced to take it off her but Jake intercepted both of them, hoisting them up against his shoulders as they struggled to get away.

It gaveRosa time to dribble the ball forward and kick it past the oncoming goalie into the corner of the net. In her absolute glee at scoring, she pulled her T-shirt up over her head, held her arms high and ran screaming around the sideline as though she’d just won The World Cup. Everyone collapsed in laughter and the game was abandoned, the decision being made that nothing could top that. Jake,Rosa ’s hero, carried her off the field, triumphantly seated on his shoulders.

‘I’m always going to have you on my team, Jake,’Rosa declared.

Alwayswas another big word, Merlina thought.

‘I’ll try to be here for you, Rosa, but I might not get to every family barbecue,’ Jake replied. ‘Sydneyis a long way away.’

A whole world away.

And Jake had to be as conscious of it as Merlina was, but he grinned at her and said, ‘That was fun,’ as though he really meant it.

She desperately wanted to get him to herself for a while, time alone together so he would not have to keep up the appearance of enjoying himself with her family. If this was simply a game he was playing, she needed to know. She couldn’t bear the confusion much longer. Dealing with the truth would be infinitely better, even if it was a painful truth.

Since it was a school day tomorrow, the party broke up relatively early so the children could still get a good night’s sleep. The long summer’s day was over, twilight darkening the sky to purple. Everyone pitched in to get the cleaning up done before they left. Farewells were not lingered over though no one neglected to express pleasure in meeting Jake and wishing him and Merlina much happiness together. Her face grew stiff from the effort of holding a smile. She wondered if Jake was wishing them gone as much as she was.

Ironically enough, her mother decided to play Cupid. ‘Why don’t you take Jake for a stroll down the wisteria walk to the orchard while there’s still light enough to see, Merlina?’ she said as they stood on the front veranda, waving off the last car to leave.

Surprisingly her father promoted the idea. ‘The wisteria is no longer in bloom,’ he informed Jake. ‘But it’s still a pretty walk. You won’t have a chance in the morning. Have to be at the airport half an hour before your six-forty-five flight.’

Jake hooked her arm around his. ‘Let’s go,’ he said eagerly, his eyes lighting up at the opportunity to do more than stroll.

‘We won’t wait up for you, Merlina,’ her mother hastened to say. ‘Jake, you know where your room is?’

‘Yes, thank you. Danny showed me earlier.’

‘Then sleep well, both of you.’

‘Thanks, Mamma,’ Merlina chimed in quickly. ‘Good night. You, too, Papa.’

‘Oh, to be young again, eh, Maria?’ her father said, hugging her mother as they headed back into the house.

‘You think you are still young, Angelo,’ she tossed back with arch meaning.

Jake chuckled over this sexual allusion as she steered him around the veranda to the south side which faced the orchard. ‘How oldis your father?’ he asked, still amused by the exchange between her parents.

‘Sixty-four.’

Another little laugh. ‘Pop thinks he’s still young at eighty.’

The mention of his grandfather stirred a hornet’s nest in Merlina’s brain and she was instantly stung into saying, ‘There’s one big difference. Papa is devoted to my mother. He’d never leave her for another woman.’ She took a deep breath and spelled out her need. ‘I want my husband to feel the same way about me, Jake.’

‘I can understand that,’ he said easily, as though it didn’t personally relate to him.

They walked down the south veranda steps and onto the path leading to the long pergola, which was covered by wisteria. Merlina silently stewed over Jake’s offhand reply until she could not hold her tongue any longer.

‘I don’t want to get married with the escape clause of divorce hanging over my head,’ she stated vehemently.

‘I understand that, too,’ came the tormenting reply.

It said nothing positive to her and she despaired over continuing any kind of relationship with him. It would inevitably tear her apart because in the end she wanted what her parents and brothers and sisters had, and Jake was not about to commit himself to that path.

‘So it’s best that we stop this right now,’ she forced herself to say, her heart breaking at the need to say it.

‘Stop what?’

Her feet stamped to a halt at his infuriating lack of sensitivity to her stated position. She tore her arm from his and swung to face him. Although it was still twilight beyond the pergola, the overhanging wisteria created a darkness that made it difficult to read his expression.

‘You’ve met my family. You know what they’re like and I’m one of them. So don’t pretend you still want to marry me,’ she threw at him.

He stood straight and tall and seemed to be regarding her seriously. ‘Why do you think I’m pretending?’ he asked quietly.

‘Because you haven’t finished winning what you want yet,’ she cried, gesticulating wildly as she drew the picture that made sense of his persistence. ‘You want to keep having sex with me. Maybe get me back to working with you. Arrange your life how you like it.’

‘Is that what you think of me?’ His tone was pained, which upset her even more.

‘It’s my fault. I know it’s my fault. I brought this upon myself, playing that stupid game with your grandfather. And I’m sorry I did it. Sorry I started this whole ball rolling. I should have just walked away instead of…’

‘Instead of coming out of the cake to thumb your nose at me and my playboy style of conducting my life,’ he supplied matter-of-factly.

‘Yes,’ she admitted, relieved that he took that at face value, not digging deeply enough to uncover her other motive—the mad wish to make him desire her and make him regret not having found her desirable until it was too late to keep her in his life.

‘And your decision to marry my grandfather? Was that to spite me, too, Merlina?’

She shook her head in anguished contrition for her sins. ‘I was never going to marry Byron. Your…your reactions to my denial of any further involvement with you amused him and he wanted to continue the fun to see if you’d respond to it. It was obvious there were…issues…between us, and…’

‘And you fell in with his plan because…?’

‘Because I wanted…’ She couldn’t say it. Some instinctive pride stopped her from confessing she’d loved him for so long, she’d yearned for him to realise he loved her, too. But it wasn’t so. Lust had nothing to do with a forever love. She wildly snatched at the words he’d used. ‘Yes, it was to spite you. I tricked you, deceived you, made a fool of you…so you see, you have every reason to want to walk away from me. Let’s end it now. Please?’

‘Little liar!’ he muttered, stepping closer and scooping her body hard against his. ‘You wanted me to care. To come to you. You wanted this!’ His mouth crashed down on hers, plundering it with an angry passion, wanting to dominate, to drive her into surrendering to him, body and soul.

Her own anger surged into a fierce response, her mind screaming it wasn’t right—wasn’t fair—that he could stir such powerful feelings and not be the man who would bond with her for the rest of their lives. The savage urge tomake him feel as she did had her hands thrusting into his hair, wanting to claw into his brain and change his thinking patterns. It plastered her body to his, seeking to merge so completely he could never be a separate entity from her.

He kissed her until her head was spinning and the primitive fever had melted into a river of desire that turned her bones to water. ‘You can’t deny this, Merlina,’ he murmured against her lips.

No, she couldn’t, but she desperately wanted to hear other things from him. With a heavy sigh, she dropped her head onto his shoulder, hiding her face against his neck, breathing in the scent of him, wishing they belonged together in every sense.

‘As for your engagement to my grandfather…’ he went on in a wry tone, rubbing his cheek over her hair. ‘I realised that had to be a scam soon after I met your family this afternoon. No way would you have introduced Pop to them as your husband-to-be. I am a far more acceptable son-in law.’

‘Only because you worked at it,’ she mocked. ‘You’re not in tune with my family. In the long run—’ she lifted her head, steeling herself to look him straight in the eye and lay the challenge on the line ‘—but you don’t have a long run in mind, do you? All you’ve done since arriving at your grandfather’s home the other night…it’s about coming out on top. Winning the game. Except this game shouldn’t be pushed as far as marriage because that wouldn’t be playing fair. Not with me, Jake. And that’s why it has to stop.’

He did not rush into a reply. Merlina sensed he was assessing her argument, keeping his gaze locked on hers in a tense determination to reach past her judgement of him and find more vulnerable ground for him to attack. He lifted a hand and gently stroked her fringe back from her forehead as though wanting to feel his way intoher mind.

‘I like your family, Merlina,’ he said quietly. ‘I like the way it works. It’s good. Why did you separate yourself from it, going toSydney to work?’

The question surprised her. ‘I wanted to live my life my way,’ she answered without having to think about it. ‘What was here seemed very narrow. Too fixed. I found it stultifying when I was in my teens.’

‘You wanted to fly on your own wings.’

‘Yes.’

‘But you’ve flown the full circle, Merlina, and what it comes down to is you want what they have—the strong family ties, the belonging to each other, the caring and sharing, the security of knowing they’re always going to be there to come to in times of joy or sorrow.’

‘They’re the good things,’ she acknowledged, relieved that he did understand her position, though he wasn’t linking himself to it.

‘I’ve never had the experience of a family like yours,’ he went on. ‘How could I be in tune with it on first meeting, Merlina?’

She’d known it would be impossible. He wasn’t Italian, and his family life had been fractured, probably fostering a lack of trust in any attachment, not believing it would last. She guessed that somewhere along the line he’d instinctively shied away from any deep involvement with anyone.

After all, emotions weren’t torn apart if he stuck to freewheeling so better they were kept contained, controlled, while playboy sex answered any physical need. Being hit with her very demonstrative and veryinvolved family, it was a wonder he had fit in as well as he had.

‘I’d have to say you rose to the challenge at every sticky moment. And I’m grateful to you for…for keeping the evening a happy one, Jake,’ she said sincerely. ‘I know it was a strain at times.’

‘Only at the beginning, Merlina. It took a little while to appreciate the solidity of where you’ve come from. And I can now appreciate where you want to go.’

‘But it’s not your way, is it?’

The words spilled out of a well of sadness. Tears pricked her eyes and she tore her gaze from his, not wanting him to see the sheen of moisture or the despair behind it. She looked back at the house that represented the kind of home she wanted to make with Jake, and her heart was thudding like a funeral drum.

‘I’m here with you,’ he said softly. ‘It’s where I want to be.’

For now,she thought.

‘And I don’t want what we have together to end.’

Not yet. The sex was still red-hot.

‘Neither do you, Merlina.’

She was too choked up to speak.

He curled his hand around her chin and gently turned her face back to his. Merlina quickly lowered her lashes, knowing he would see the truth in her eyes, the yearning for it never to end. He reinforcedhis truth with a kiss that felt like love, so seductive in its soft caring, any resistance to it was impossible.

She didn’t care if it was part of a game-plan in Jake’s mind, the intention being to keep her tied to him for at least the immediate future. She wanted to wallow in the feeling he generated…loving her, wanting her. It wasn’t too wrong to allow herself this much of him for one more night. Tomorrow, when they were back inSydney , she would make the break.

Tomorrow…when she could think clearly again.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 11-10-07, 10:45 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 24
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Captain 14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

HER father drove them to the airport in his much-loved Alfa sedan. ‘It’s a very good family car,’ he said pointedly to Jake.

Bambinos were still on Angelo Rossi’s mind.

Which put them smack in the forefront of Merlina’s again.

Her mother sat beside her father, having decided to accompany them despite the early hour in the morning. Clearly it was a show of support for this marriage to go ahead. At the airport terminal, she gave Merlina a big hug and whispered, ‘You keep that ring on, Merlina, and work things through with Jake. You’re not getting any younger.’

Meaning Jake was possibly her last hope of taking on a proper woman’s role.

She gave him a big hug, too, which he not only happily submitted to, he kissed his mother on both cheeks, as well, having no problem at all with adopting the Italian way now that he’d got the hang of it.

‘You’ll take care of my daughter, Jake?’ she appealed.

‘I will, Maria,’ he promised.

Her parents’ blessing for this union had been bestowed. It persuaded Merlina she should give it more time, not be too hasty in deciding it wouldn’t go the full distance. Jake had said last night he didn’t want it to end. Maybe he did love her and just hadn’t recognised the feeling. She wanted it to be so—too much to turn her back on him at this point.

Once they were in the air, flying back to Sydney , she turned to him and said, ‘I will come back to work with you, Jake.’

His face broke into a grin of delight. ‘Great!’ He reached over and squeezed her hand. ‘No one can take your place, Merlina. The temporary assistant you brought in drove me into irritable impatience in no time flat.’

‘She was a skinny blonde.’

‘I’ve suddenly developed a strong partiality to dark-haired, well-fleshed women.’

She raised her eyebrows. ‘Big turnaround, Jake.’

‘I’ve seen the light.’ His eyes danced wickedly, ‘Or more accurately, I’ve felt the light. Very good feeling. In fact, I can hardly wait to experience it again.’

Which instantly stirred the desire in her to feel him again. Sex with Jake was definitely addictive. Her inner muscles squeezed tight just thinking about it. But since it would be at least another two hours before they reached the privacy of her apartment, she tried to divert her mind into other channels.

‘You know I’ve never met your friends,’ she remarked. ‘You haven’t met mine, either.’

‘Okay, we’ll hit the social scene this coming weekend. See what you can arrange with your friends and I’ll fit mine in with whatever time we have left,’ he suggested, happy to oblige.

She still had almost four weeks of vacation ahead of her, but taking it meant she’d be apart from Jake most of the time. ‘I’ll just take the rest of this week off work, then come back.’ She flashed him a grin. ‘Save you the aggravation of dealing with my replacement. Though you’ll have to pay her off.’

‘No problem!’ he declared with resounding relief. ‘I can even be reasonably civilised toward her if it’s only for a few more days. What do you plan on doing with this week?’

It felt surreal chatting about activities outside of work with Jake. She’d never done it before. It hadn’t even been two full days since their strictly employer/employee relationship had ended and the meeting with her family had dominated most of that time. Now they were on their own, heading into unchartered territory.

Would their lives mesh easily or would there be snags to make sharing difficult?

Give it time, her mother had advised. Work things through.

Her family had been a huge snag and Jake had worked it through. Merlina told herself she had to be open to different experiences, too, and not be so judgemental about his playboy style of having fun. There was nothing wrong with amusing oneself with challenges. She enjoyed rising to them as much as Jake did.

In fact, being with him had opened up her life far more than she would have ever dared to go on her own wings. He had been good for her in lots of ways, spurring her into taking pleasure in her femininity instead of hiding it, giving her tasks that pushed her to work at her full potential, which in turn, had given her confidence in her ability to perform well in any arena. She had grown into the person she’d wanted to be under his influence.

And he’d stopped any alienation from her family, firstly with his timely marriage proposal, then following it up by evading any upsetting ruction at the barbecue party, riding through awkward moments, charming everyone. It meant her family was no barrier in her relationship with him. He’d actually liked being with them. Which was a huge relief.

In fact, the truth was she’d never really hated him. That had simply been a fierce frustration over his playboy approach to everything, including her. But he wasn’t playing with her now and she loved him with every atom of her being. Loved him for all he had done for her, loved him for his generosity, his provocative challenges, even his wicked sense of mischief.

However, she did need the big question of having children settled. Jake had not answered it to her satisfaction. He’d said he understood her desire for a family, but so far he had evaded any commitment to being a father. Was it too soon to pin him down on the subject? What they now had together was very new. Perhaps she should give that critical issue more time, too.

Once the plane landed at Mascot, they quickly made their way to the overnight car-park and headed off to Chatswood in the Ferrari. Being in the sports car together, no longer surrounded by people, created its own sense of physical intimacy. Merlina couldn’t stop herself from glancing at Jake’s hands as they controlled the steering wheel and changed gears, imagining their touch running over her body, so sensitive to her pleasure, so expert in delivering it.

They didn’t talk.

At one red traffic light, Jake shot her a searing look that clearly told her he was tense with anticipation, too, wanting what she wanted. Merlina thought how wonderful it was not to have to pretend indifference any more. The need for each other was real, mutual, and urgent.

As soon as Jake parked the car in front of her apartment, she was out, the door key ready in her hand. Jake paused long enough to get her overnight bag out of the trunk, catching up with her as she opened her front door. He dropped the bag in the living-room. She closed the door and flew into his embrace. They hugged and laughed at the madness that possessed them, the glorious madness of uninhibited desire running rampant between them.

‘Bed this time. Definitely bed,’ Jake declared, sweeping her down the hall in his haste to get there.

They pulled off their own clothes, tossing them away in wild abandonment, then leaping onto the bed and revelling in holding each other, being naked together, feeling the muscled strength and the giving softness as they stretched and rolled and entwined, their mouths avidly connecting in increasingly erotic kisses.

‘Damn!’ Jake muttered as he came up for air. ‘Forgot to get out a condom.’

He started lifting himself away from her and she grabbed him back. ‘Forget it!’ she commanded recklessly, not wanting anything to dull the sensation of his flesh against hers.

‘Is it safe?’ His eyes stabbed his need to know.

‘I don’t know. It doesn’t matter.’

His brows drew together in a sharp V. ‘Of course it matters. You might get pregnant.’

A chill ran through her fevered mind. ‘So what if I did?’ she challenged. ‘We’re getting married, aren’t we?’

He shook his head. ‘We shouldn’t risk it. It’s too soon to be saddled with a baby, Merlina. Be right back.’

He heaved himself out of her grasp and was off the bed, hunting for the wallet he’d left in his jeans. A sick hollowness instantly took up residence in Merlina’s stomach. She couldn’t lie there waiting for him. He didn’t want to risk making a baby with her, didn’t want to be saddled with a child. He wanted a bit of plastic stopping that natural process.

She swung her legs off the other side of the bed and stood up, every muscle quivering at the enforced halt to the excitement that had gripped them just a few moments ago. Her skin shivered from the ice cold shards of reason that clamped over the treacherous heat that Jake had fed with his love-making. Except it wasn’t love. It was sex without any risk of real commitment.

‘What’s wrong?’ he asked, her move having distracted him from his search.

‘We are,’ she said flatly.

He frowned, not understanding.

‘You don’t want children, do you, Jake?’ she stated rather than queried.

‘I didn’t say that, Merlina,’ he swiftly retorted. ‘I just said it was too soon. Better we get married first, then think about it.’

‘How long will you take to think about it?’ she mocked. ‘A year? Two years? Five? Ten? Until I’m too old to have the family I want?’

‘It’s only sensible to plan a family,’ he argued. ‘Not start it with an accidental pregnancy.’

‘I’m thirty years old, Jake. Statistically, I’m on the downhill run for giving birth to healthy babies. The later I leave it, the greater the risk of having a child with some handicap.’

‘But women are having babies in their forties these days,’ he protested as though she was being unreasonable.

‘Women who are desperate to have a child before it’s too late, and more often than not by working through some program to conceive,’ she threw back at him. ‘I don’t want to be in that position.’

‘Fair enough,’ he granted, though he was frowning again, not liking this conversation one bit.

She heaved a sigh to relieve the painful tightness in her chest. The dream of marriage to Jake was over. She couldn’t hold it together any longer. ‘You saidsaddled with a child ,’ she reminded him. ‘You know what that implies, Jake?’

He didn’t answer. His eyes probed hers with sharp intensity, suggesting he was uncertain about which way to jump. He was employing the principle of watch and wait.

‘You see it as a burden, not a wonderful new life we made together. A life for us to nurture and be part of, sharing in the journey it takes, the adventures and challenges of every new experience. LikeRosa scoring her first goal,’ she expounded, sadness sitting on her heart like a lead weight. ‘You think that wasn’t a golden moment for her parents?’

He cocked his head consideringly. ‘I hadn’t thought of it like that. But I wasn’t thinking burden so much as responsibility, Merlina. Being a parent is not something to take on lightly or carelessly.’

‘True. It takes total commitment. And I’m not getting the feeling that you have it in your heart.’

He held up a protesting hand. ‘Now don’t write me off so fast. I’m getting there.’

She couldn’t make herself believe him. It was a delaying tactic. ‘Well, when you get there, let me know,’ she tossed at him, moving to her clothes cupboard, intending to make herself less vulnerable to any physical persuasion Jake might try.

‘What are you doing?’ he asked tersely.

‘Putting more than a condom between us,’ she answered with bitter irony, opening the cupboard and drawing out her scarlet silk dressing gown. ‘You might as well get dressed, Jake. I want you to go now.’

‘You can’t mean that.’

‘Yes, I do.’ She slipped her arms into the gown and tied it tightly around her waist. Her whole body ached but no way was she going to have sex now.

‘Merlina…’ He started walking towards her, his arms lifting out in appeal, his eyes burning with purpose.

She swung on him with tigerish ferocity. ‘I mean it! Don’t come near me, Jake!’

It stunned him into halting.

A torrent of defensive words poured from her mouth. ‘All that time working as your personal assistant…you grew into an obsession. That’s what it was. An obsession! I couldn’t get you out of my mind. I built fantasies around you and when you came for me at your grandfather’s home, I wanted the fantasies to become real. But now I’m facing the realities, Jake, and I’m not going to let myself be blinded by fantasies any more.’

‘What we feel together is no fantasy,’ he shot back at her.

‘But that doesn’t take any commitment, does it? It’s just falling into bed together. Like you did with all the other women in your life. I’m no different.’

‘You are!’ he insisted vehemently.

‘Then prove it to me. Take this ring back.’ She twisted it off her finger and held it out to him, her voice shaking with passionate conviction as she punched home her reality. ‘It means nothing unless you’re committed to having a family with me. You go away and think about it, Jake. Take as long as you like. But don’t offer it to me again unless it comes with total commitment because I will not accept less.’

‘Right!’ he snapped, snatching the ring from her palm. Without another word he turned away and proceeded to dress with sharp, jerky movements. Angry frustration emanated from him so strongly, Merlina stood stock-still, not daring to move.

Game over and he’d lost, she thought.

But the wretched truth was she’d lost, too.

He straightened up from putting on his shoes and subjected her to a long hard stare. ‘I’ll win you in the end,’ he bit out. ‘Don’t think I won’t, Merlina Rossi.’

Only on my terms,she thought with the same savage determination lacing his words.

He tossed the ruby and diamond ring in the air, caught it and clenched his hand around it in a fierce show of possessiveness, then strode out of the bedroom, out of the apartment, and most probably, out of her life.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  
ÞÏíã 11-10-07, 10:46 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 25
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÓäÏÑíáÇ áíáÇÓ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏBarbados

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
darla ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

Dong

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

THE days dragged by.

No word from Jake.

Merlina tried to get her life back on the course she’d set when she’d decided to leave Signature Sounds. Going back to work with Jake was impossible with her ultimatum still hanging fire, and he surely realised that, so she spent hours on her computer, checking out possible positions listed on jobseek.com, jotting down anything that might interest her. She brushed up her résumé, but didn’t have the heart to send it out. Not yet.

The weekend came.

No word from Jake.

Was he expecting her to back down, turn up for work on Monday, unable to resist the lure of being with him again? Merlina told herself she was made of sterner stuff. But the nights were hell, lying in the bed she’d shared with him.

She kept herself busy; went shopping, caught up with her girlfriends—lunch with some, drinks at a favourite bar with others—listened to what was happening in their lives, fended off questions about her own, and felt thoroughly miserable the whole time.

Monday came and went.

No word from Jake.

Obviously she could be replaced since he wasn’t chasing her to resume being his personal assistant. The baby hurdle was too big for him. And she wasn’t about to take it away. If he wanted to be a playboy for the rest of his life, he could take that path all by himself!

She spring-cleaned her apartment, wanting to be so tired she’d drop into deep sleep when she went to bed. It didn’t work. Emotional turmoil overrode physical exhaustion. An elusive Jake plagued her dreams.

She started doubting her decision that having a family of her own was more important to her future happiness than being with him. Maybe there would beno future happiness anyway, not while she yearned to have Jake at her side. And would that ever end?

What if she didn’t have a long life to live? She could be killed in an accident or contract some dreadful illness. There was no guarantee of many years ahead of her. Should she grab what she could have today and not keep thinking about tomorrows? It was tearing her apart, wanting Jake and knowing it would only take a phone call to bring him back to her.

So then he would win.

Did that really matter?

The tormenting questions kept running around her mind. When her telephone rang on Wednesday evening, she pounced on the receiver as though it was a lifeline, hoping it would be Jake calling her.

It wasn’t.

It was his grandfather, whom she’d completely forgotten in her intense brooding over Jake.

‘My dear Merlina, I was just thinking of you, wondering how the family visit panned out.’

Guilt squirmed through her. ‘I’m sorry, Byron. I should have let you know.’

‘Oh, I’m sure you’ve had much more immediate things on your mind,’ he rolled out indulgently. ‘This is just an old man’s curiosity, whetted by the fact I promoted this match with my grandson.’

‘I’m afraid the match has come unstuck, Byron,’ she wearily confessed.

‘No!’ He sounded aghast. ‘I was so sure…What happened? Your family didn’t like him?’

‘That isn’t the problem. He won their stamp of approval.’ She grimaced as she added, ‘I’m the problem.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘I wanted more than he was prepared to give. He isn’t exactly eager about tying himself down with parenthood.’

‘Ah! The stumbling block. Just give him time, Merlina. After all, he knows you’re a woman of steel, not like his bend-with-the-wind mother. Once you took on a responsibility you’d see it through, come what may. He just has to process that knowledge and realise he can trust you to—’

‘It’s me who doesn’t trust him, Byron,’ she cried.

‘Not trust Jake! Take it from me, Merlina, he’s a man of his word. Been like that all his life. Probably because words to him weren’t kept by those who should have kept them.’

‘But he didn’t give his word. He put it off.’

‘Hmm…that could relate to the fact that no one in our family did plan parenthood. It just happened, and more times than not, the children were raised by nannies, then shot off to boarding school, responsibility for them passed on to others. I’m inclined to think Jake would take the responsibility of parenthood very seriously.’

Merlina’s mind whirled through what Byron had just told her, relating it to her showdown with Jake.He had felt his parents had been saddled with him.He had been a burden to them, neither of them taking real responsibility for his upbringing. No sharing ingolden moments . Being born into a silver spoon family did not mean Jake had been handed everything he wanted.

What happened to a child whose need for real loving was never fulfilled? Had Jake armoured himself against the need? Playboys didn’t get hurt. They didn’t get involved enough to expose themselves to hurt.

Yet he had involved himself very much with her, even to meeting her family. And he’d liked the way her family worked. It must have been a revelation to him. Even so, his natural instinct had been to shy away from plunging straight into fatherhood. She should have given him more time. He’d gone away, angry with her ultimatum.

Fear of having lost what she might have had, threaded her voice as she said, ‘I just don’t know where Jake is at, Byron. I told him to think about it but he hasn’t come back to me.’

Panic hit her as she realised she should not have taken his ring off. Nor talked about him being an obsession. Stupid pride! She should have said she loved him, should have cared more abouthis concerns instead of judging, sending him away….

‘I’ve made a total mess of this,’ she muttered despairingly.

‘No, no…I’m sure Jake would be thinking about it,’ Byron said soothingly. ‘Might be a bit of pride involved, but he’s not one to give up on going after what he wants, and there’s no doubt in my mind he wants you, Merlina.’

She sighed, desperately hoping that was true.

‘Just wait a bit longer,’ Byron advised.

She looked down at her very naked left hand and suddenly remembered that Byron’s ring was still in the frozen packet of peas in her refrigerator.

‘Come and have afternoon tea with me on Saturday,’ he invited. ‘We’ll make a new plan. I am, when all’s said and done, a master of manoeuvres.’

She didn’t want to manoeuvre Jake into anything. The thought of any more deception curdled her stomach. She needed to have everything straight with him.

‘I’ll have my chauffeur pick you up in the Rolls-Royce at two o’clock. Agreed?’ Byron pressed.

It was an opportunity to return the diamond engagement ring that had tricked Jake into declaring his desire for her. She wanted to be rid of it. Whatever happened—if anything happened—with Jake in the future, she wanted everything open and aboveboard.

‘Yes. Two o’clock will be fine. I’ll bring your ring with me,’ she said.

‘Splendid! I’ll look forward to seeing you again, my dear.’

‘Thanks, Byron.’

He really was a lovely man. Not only had he given her an insight into Jake’s background and his possible motivations, she knew he would be very kind and caring on Saturday. He might also give her more helpful information about his grandson, but if he came up with any schemes to fix the situation, Merlina decided she would not be a party to them.

No more traps.

No boxing anyone in.

If she and Jake were to come together again it had to be their doing, not anyone else’s.

There was no word from him on Thursday or Friday. Which meant his silence had lasted for ten days. Eleven by Saturday morning. Surely that had to mean he definitely didn’t want to have children. So it was up to her to bridge the ever-widening chasm between them, if she could get her head around giving up on having a family.

In an attempt to cheer herself up a bit, she put on the red dress with the white belt for Byron’s afternoon tea. Of course, it reminded her of being a scarlet woman for Jake and buying the ruby and diamond ring together, but she was going to be reminded of everything anyhow, talking to his grandfather about what had happened.

The Rolls-Royce arrived promptly at two o’clock. She was driven in grand style to the Vaucluse mansion. Parked in the driveway and looking very oddly out of place was a large, luxury tourist coach.

‘Why is the coach here?’ she asked the chauffeur, unable to believe Byron had opened his home and grounds to tourists.

‘I understand Mr Byron has a use for it later this evening,’ came the discreet reply.

Possibly for collecting guests who were to be taken to a party somewhere, Merlina thought. It was the kind of fun thing Byron would think of doing and it certainly avoided any drink driving charges. She dismissed it from her thoughts as they arrived at the front entrance. The chauffeur ushered her out of the Rolls-Royce and with impeccable timing, Byron’s butler opened the front door to welcome her and lead her inside.

‘Good afternoon, Harold,’ she said with as bright a smile as she could manage.

‘A pleasure to see you again, Ms Rossi. Mr Byron is in the main reception room and I am to take you directly there.’

‘Thank you.’

His dignity unbent enough to give her a nod of approval with the comment, ‘May I say your red dress is very becoming.’

‘I’m glad you think so,’ she replied, surprised and pleased by the compliment.

He escorted her down the great foyer to the designated room, remarking, ‘I believe it’s called power dressing, wearing red.’

‘Well I’m not into waving a rag at a bull today, Harold,’ she said dryly.

‘I doubt that will be necessary, Ms Rossi.’ His mouth twitched. ‘The bull has you very much in his sights.’

‘I beg your pardon?’

‘You are awaited,’ he said, opening the double doors to the reception room with a flourish.

Merlina shot the butler a puzzled look as he waved her forward. He gave her a benign nod and accepting that he was not about to explain himself, she walked on into the room.

It was full of people.

Her feet faltered to a halt.

Her heart slammed around her chest.

She could hardly believe what her eyes were seeing.

The entire Rossi family fromGriffith was grouped around Jake and Byron—her parents, her brothers and sisters, their spouses and their children, all of them grinning at her as though this was a surprise party.

Which it most certainly was!

Jake had Mario and Gina’s baby son cradled in his arms.

AndRosa was hugging one of his legs—her champion!

‘Good afternoon, my dear,’ Byron rolled out in his usual charming manner. ‘I thought since you’d already had an engagement party in your family home, you should have one here, as well.’ He turned to his grandson and like a five-star general directing manoeuvres, waved him to take over. ‘You have the floor, Jake.’

‘Thanks, Pop.’ His dark eyes bored into Merlina’s. ‘First things first. Proof I have no objection to having a baby. I can handle a baby just fine as Gina and Mario will testify.’

‘Taken to it like a duck to water,’ Mario chimed in, clapping him on the back.

‘And children have an instinct about adults not liking them.Rosa has no problem with me.’

‘I’m on Jake’s side,’Rosa piped up.

‘I’m having him onmy side for the next soccer game,’ Genarro slung at his little cousin.

‘Hush, children,’ Merlina’s mother commanded.

Jake nodded respectfully to her. ‘Your mother is in agreement with me that you shouldn’t get pregnant until after the wedding, at which time you will have my full cooperation in that particular enterprise.’

There were a few sniggers around the room.

‘Your father says a wedding in September will suit everyone,’ Jake went on. ‘Given you’re happy with that date.’

Merlina was totally speechless, amazed by what she was hearing.

Jake had no speech impediment whatsoever. The words kept coming at her. ‘I don’t know how many children you have in mind for our family, but I figure we should be able to fit in three or four before the healthy birth statistics start worrying you.’

He was willing to have three or four?

Merlina’s mind reeled at this whole-hearted embrace of fatherhood.

‘I have your family gathered here as witnesses to what I am laying out to you, Merlina, and they have given me to believe they trust my word. The only question left is—’ he paused, gathering up a bolt of energy to pierce her heart ‘—willyou trust it?’

There was an impassable lump of emotion in her throat. He had gone to so much trouble—bringing her whole family up fromGriffith —to prove she could trust him to be all she wanted him to be. Shame at having judged him so meanly brought tears to her eyes. She had been so wrong, not giving him time, linking herself to his other women, turning him away, denying him the love she should have declared because it had to be love for her driving all he’d done to organise this moment of truth.

He passed the baby to Mario, then walked towards her, holding out the ring she’d rejected. ‘I’m offering this to you again, Merlina. Will you take it, wear it, knowing that it means all it should mean for our life together?’

Her blurred vision fastened on the glittering engagement ring on his open palm. She reached out, her right hand tremulous as she picked it up, then slid it slowly onto the third finger of her left hand. ‘Thank you,’ she managed to whisper huskily, her gaze turning up to his in an almost blind pleading for forgiveness. ‘I’m sorry I didn’t trust you before, Jake.’

‘Now is what matters,’ he said gruffly, sweeping her into his embrace and holding her tight.

She hid her tear-streaked face on his shoulder as applause broke out and her family gathered around them, throwing out happily approving comments.

‘Good man!’ from her father.

‘And don’t you ever take that ring off, Merlina,’ from her mother.

‘I think I should be appointed master of ceremonies at the wedding,’ Byron slid in. ‘Which reminds me. Afternoon tea awaits us in the banquet room. Come everyone. Let us leave these two lovebirds alone. They can feast with us when they’re ready.’

Merlina heard them all trooping out amidst laughing remarks to each other, heard the doors closing, then heard Jake teasingly murmur, ‘Does this mean I’ve won, Merlina?’

She sucked in a deep breath to ease her choked up feelings, then lifted her head, wanting him to see that she meant every earnest word she said. ‘I won’t ever doubt you again, Jake. That’s a solemn promise.’

He lifted a hand to tenderly brush the trails of moisture from her cheeks. His eyes were soft and warm. ‘Youare different, Merlina. I’ve been obsessed with you, too, always seeking a way to know the person you were behind the barricades you put up. My instincts told me you had something I wanted and when the heart of you was finally open to me, it answered the needs I’d buried in my own heart. I’m sorry it took so long for me to see your light for what it truly was. All I knew for certain was I didn’t want it to go out.’

‘Oh, Jake!’ She heaved a rueful sigh. ‘I was about ready to set aside having a family, I wanted to be with you so much.’

He shook his head. ‘That wouldn’t be you, Merlina, and it’s all of you I love. I don’t want to change anything about you. Not one thing. I want you as my wife, as the mother of my children, as my partner in everything.’ He smiled, his dimples deepening with pleasure in her. ‘Though you could grow your hair long again. I would like that.’

Love…

He’d saidlove .

And all the rest added up to prove it absolutely.

Merlina’s heart swelled with joy as she slid her hands up to link around his neck. ‘I love you, too, Jake. I’ll grow my hair to whatever length you like and do everything I can to make our life together wonderful.’

Jake saw the golden sparks in her amber eyes and knew he would never tire of seeing them. Merlina Rossi was a very special woman, the best fantasy any man could have, and she was very, very real.

His woman.

He gathered her closer, revelling in the blissful reality of having her beautiful body pressed to his, feeling its giving, loving the sense of her heart beating against his chest, reaching out to his heart and encompassing it with her love, holding it with care because that was what Merlina would do. Always.

And he knew how lucky he was that she had come into his life, how lucky he was to have won her trust. He wanted her to lead him down her path—a path he would never have seen as the best one without her to show him how it could be—a path that led to what a home should encompass.

It was right.

It was good.

With Merlina he felt happier than he’d ever felt in his life and there wasn’t a fence in the world that could stop this journey they would take together.

‘This marriage and parenthood game is the big one,’ he said. ‘We’re going to meet every challenge and come out on top. Agreed?’

She laughed, her lovely face alight with pleasure in him as she answered, ‘Team players…right to the end.’

He kissed her.

She kissed him right back.

They made the perfect team.

Unbeatable.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ darla  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ