لمشاكل التسجيل ودخول المنتدى يرجى مراسلتنا على الايميل liilasvb3@gmail.com

العودة   منتديات ليلاس > قسم الارشيف والمواضيع القديمة > الارشيف
التسجيل

بحث بشبكة ليلاس الثقافية

الارشيف يحتوي على مواضيع قديمة او مواضيع مكررة او محتوى روابط غير عاملة لقدمها

نسخ الرابط
نسخ للمنتديات

LinkBack (5) أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 15-11-07, 04:12 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. المشاركة رقم: 21
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
التسجيل: May 2006
العضوية: 4708
المشاركات: 12
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: lalah عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 10

االدولة
البلدUnited Arab Emirates

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
lalah غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : CUTE ROSE المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Thank you and waiting for the rest

عرض البوم صور lalah  
قديم 15-11-07, 08:00 PM   المشاركة رقم: 22
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Mar 2007
العضوية: 26409
المشاركات: 155
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: CUTE ROSE عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 49

االدولة
البلدQatar

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
CUTE ROSE غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER ELEVEN

MADDISON decided much later that evening that it would be so temptingly easy to pretend they had a normal marriage.

She was lying in the circle of Demetrius’s arms; his body was relaxed in the deep sleep of satiated desire, his long legs interlaced with hers, his chest at her back a solid, comforting warmth.

She could imagine anyone looking in would naturally assume that love was the tie that bound them together when nothing could have been further from the truth.

She was in no doubt of his desire for her, but at no time had he declared any other feeling for her. The reasons for their marriage remained. He’d wanted recompense for the loss of his boat and she had been the payment in lieu of her brother.

It certainly didn’t bode well for a lifetime of happiness, she reflected sadly. Her brother’s guilt was a chasm between them even if she did manage to clear her father’s name.

She hated thinking about her meeting with Jeremy Myalls. It made her feel contaminated, as if his sly nature would somehow rub off on her in her dealings with him. But she didn’t see that she had any choice other than to play his game for a while so she could in the end subvert his devious ends.

She’d reconsidered telling Demetrius about Jeremy’s perfidy but seriously wondered if he’d believe her. Jeremy had worked for him for years, and with the cloud of guilt hanging over her father’s memory, not to mention Kyle’s track record of minor offences, she couldn’t see how he’d be all that convinced.

No, she’d have to show him through other means, even if it meant getting her hands a little bit dirty.

She felt Demetrius stir behind her, his warm breath caressing the bare skin of her shoulder.

‘Aren’t you going to turn off the light?’ he murmured, his lips nibbling at her neck.

‘Can’t I leave it on?’ she whispered back softly, shivering as his mouth moved to her earlobe.

He turned her onto her back in one easy movement, leaning over to trail a pathway of soft kisses .

Her breath caught at the sight of his dark, tousled head buried between the creamy globes of her flesh.

He slid back over her, his warm palm covering her breast as he looked deeply into her passion-slaked eyes.

‘You’re so responsive; I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of making love to you.’

Oh, how she wished she could believe him!

‘What about Elena?’ she asked, before she could stop herself.

His eyes hardened a fraction, but his expression gave absolutely nothing away. ‘I would prefer it if you would decline from discussing my relationship with Elena until we are out of bed.’

‘Three’s a crowd?’

He held her cynical look for a whole lot longer than she could cope with. She felt the sting of tears at the back of her eyes, which made her even more reckless.

‘Don’t tell me you’re feeling a bit guilty?’

‘Not at all.’ His hand on her breast tightened marginally. ‘I told you earlier I would have my cake and eat it too.’

‘Yes.’ Her eyes flashed at him angrily. ‘But I didn’t realise then that I would be the icing on the cake.’

His lower body made its presence felt against the softness of hers. It shamed her that her body had welcomed him so flagrantly, with such wanton abandon and such pressing, desperate need.

She felt herself being pinned backwards under the hastening movements of his body within hers, his own driving need carrying her along in its wake.

There was an element of ruthlessness in his lovemaking. His hands had lost their gentleness, but it did little to stem the flow of rising passion which was threatening to totally consume her.

He made her beg.

For that she almost hated him.

She sobbed out her need for him as he held her just beyond it, drawing out her response until she lost all sense of pride and cried and pleaded with him to let her go over the edge to the paradise she craved.

His answering grunt of satisfaction when it followed so closely on the heels of hers should have been enough consolation to her but somehow wasn’t.

She lay spent in his arms, his dark eyes boring into hers with the light of savage victory in his gaze.

‘I hate you,’ she said, her breasts brushing his chest with every ragged breath she took in.

His lip curled sardonically. ‘I thought you might.’

She ground her teeth, wishing she could deny it. ‘I’d like to sleep in the other room.’

‘No.’

‘I want the light on.’

‘No.’

‘I need the bathroom.’

‘Nice try.’

‘I mean it.’

‘I’ll come with you.’

‘No!’ She glared at him. ‘Am I to have no privacy?’

His eyes held the faint trace of a smile. ‘Go on then.’ He rolled away to lie back with his arms propped behind his head.

She tugged at the sheet to cover herself but it wouldn’t give an inch under his weight. She sent him a furious look and, reaching for the single lamp, snapped it off.

‘Now you can’t see me,’ she said and made her way somewhat blindly towards the door.

‘Maybe not,’ he called after her, his deep voice like velvet. ‘But I can still feel and taste you.’

She closed the door behind her.

Demetrius was awake before her the next morning. She opened her eyes to find him standing beside the bed, dressed in a business suit, no trace of illness about him.

She struggled up into a sitting position, gathering the sheet around her, her eyes widening at the time shown on the bedside clock.

‘Why didn’t you wake me?’

‘I saw no need to.’

She forced herself to meet his studied gaze. ‘Have you recovered?’

‘Remarkably.’

His eyes glinted meaningfully and she lowered her eyes to the sheet edge she was absently plucking between nervous fingers.

‘What will you do today?’ he asked when she didn’t speak.

‘I don’t know.’ She let the sheet go and looked at him. ‘What am I allowed to do?’

‘You know the rules.’

‘No fraternising with the staff, no flirting or sexual encounters… What else is there?’

‘You’re allowed to shop.’

‘Shop?’

‘Yes, that activity where money is exchanged for goods. You might get to like it after a while; most women do.’

‘I’m not most—’ she began but his finger came down and pressed against the soft surface of her lips.

‘I know. I’ve heard it before—you’re not like most women.’

There was an ironic tinge to his tone which made her feel as if he were reminding her she’d given in to his seductive charm as no doubt most women had done in the past, and were very likely to keep on doing in the future.

‘I’ll call you later.’ He dropped a swift kiss to the petulant bow of her mouth before moving away to the door.

She folded her arms across her chest and poked her tongue out at his back.

‘Behave yourself, Maddison. Remember I’m watching you,’ he said without turning around.

A tiny flicker of unease passed through her stomach at his words. Had he some sort of sixth sense where she was concerned?

‘How could I forget,’ she muttered as the door closed behind him.

In the end she decided to do as he suggested and go shopping. She brandished the credit card he’d given her, trying not to wince at the amount of money she was clocking up as the morning progressed.

She sent her packages back to the hotel in a cab and wandered about the city for another hour or two, wondering how she was going to fill the rest of the day.

Eventually she found her way to the National Art Gallery and spent a couple of quiet hours roaming about the priceless works of art, the formal silence of the colonial building a welcome relief after the frenetic pace of the city.

She left the gallery and continued on through the Domain until she came to the Botanic Gardens, stopping at the very place where she’d agreed to become Demetrius’s wife less than a week ago.

How things had changed!

She was his wife in every sense of the word, but for how long?

How could she live with him indefinitely with her brother’s guilt still suspended between them?

How could she continue with a marriage that had only come about through blackmail?

How long would it take before Demetrius called her brother to account for his behaviour even though he’d said Kyle’s slate would be clean upon her marriage to him?

Could she trust him to keep his word? Especially now he’d consummated their relationship after having reassured her he wouldn’t?

She chewed her lip in agitation as she walked through Hyde Park back to town, a hundred worrying thoughts taking up her concentration.

She didn’t see Jeremy until it was far too late to avoid him.

He was on the opposite corner, waiting for the lights to change, his cold blue eyes instantly seeking hers, that loathsome smile curling his thin lips.

She considered making a run for it but knew somehow he’d enjoy the thought of having rattled her in such a way. Instead, she waited where she was as if they’d arranged to meet on that particular corner at that specific time.

‘Hello, Jeremy,’ she got in first.

‘As always it’s a pleasure to see you, Maddison.’ His eyes wandered over her in a leisurely manner. ‘Fancy another coffee?’

‘Only if you are paying,’ she answered.

He ignored her little jibe and took her arm and led her to the café on the edge of the park. She suffered his hold in order to avoid drawing unwanted attention; she wanted this meeting to be over quickly.

She sat on the chair he pulled out for her and, smoothing her irritated features into more passive lines, faced him with the imitation of a smile on her face.

‘How is your plan going?’ she asked.

‘Very well,’ he replied. ‘Demetrius suspects nothing.’

‘Have the funds been relocated?’

‘The transaction will go through in the morning. This time tomorrow you will be a very rich woman, albeit temporarily.’

‘Why not redirect the funds to your own account?’

‘That’s way too obvious.’ He gave her a sly look. ‘That would be the first place Demetrius would look.’

‘How long do you expect the funds to be in my account?’ she asked.

‘Not long.’

‘Aren’t you a little concerned I might take myself on a shopping spree?’

His cold snake-like eyes snared hers. ‘If one cent of that money goes missing Demetrius will be immediately informed of your brother’s exact location to the very last square inch of land he is standing on.’

‘What do I get out of this deal?’ she asked.

‘You get to enjoy making Demetrius regret he ever married you. A suitable reward, don’t you agree?’

It sickened her to have her previous promise to Demetrius thrown back at her via his corrupt second in command.

‘Yes.’ She carefully avoided his gaze. ‘I shall enjoy every minute.’

‘Good girl.’ He touched her hand with one of his. ‘I knew I could trust you. After all, you and I have a lot in common—we both hate Demetrius.’

Oh, how she wanted to deny it!

‘Why do you hate him so much?’ she asked once their coffee had arrived.

He leaned back in his seat, one hand stirring his coffee as he surveyed her face.

‘He took the one woman I loved away from me.’

She hoped she wasn’t going to get a detailed account of yet another of Demetrius’s conquests, but sensed Jeremy was going to give it all the same.

‘He had no need of her.’ His expression soured. ‘He used her like every other woman he’s been involved with.’

She could hardly argue with that; she’d more or less been a pawn in Demetrius’s game of revenge right from the very start.

‘He’ll do the same to you if you fall for his particular version of charm,’ he warned. ‘And when he’s finished playing with you he’ll spit you out the corner of his mouth.’

‘I’m sure I’ll manage to withstand the temptation.’

‘You’d better. If he gets wind of what you’re doing with me there’ll be hell to pay.’

‘He won’t hear about it from me.’

‘No, I imagine not.’

A tiny silence fell between them.

Maddison disturbed a few grains of sugar on the tablecloth in front of her, unable to stop thinking about the very real possibility that Demetrius would somehow come to hear of her supposed duplicity.

She lifted her troubled gaze to meet Jeremy’s briefly.

‘I take it you suffer no fear over Demetrius finding out about your devious plan for revenge?’

‘No fear at all,’ he said. ‘I’ll be thousands of kilometres away by the time he gets wind of it.’

Not if I can help it, she thought.

‘He’s a very astute person,’ she pointed out. ‘He might already suspect something.’

‘He’s been too preoccupied with his mistress.’

That was another point she wished she could argue over but couldn’t.

‘I feel uneasy about all this,’ she admitted, hoping to put him off the scent of her own double dealing.

‘Don’t worry, I’ve got it planned down to the finest detail. All you have to do is pretend everything is normal while I work in the background to bring about our plot for revenge.’

What was normal about any of this? she wondered. She was agreeing to a scheme that could just as easily blow up in her face if it didn’t go according to her plan.

‘I still think you’re underestimating Demetrius,’ she said.

‘You worry too much. He knows nothing, believe me. He leaves all the finer details to me, has been doing so for years. How else did I get away with that little affair with your father?’

A serpent of hatred coiled in her belly at the callous way he’d mentioned her father.

‘You set him up, didn’t you?’

‘He was a sitting duck, Maddison. He thought he knew all the ropes but I had something up my sleeve.’

‘How did you do it?’

‘It was easier than I thought. Your father needed some money in a hurry; I believe it might have been to pay off one of your brother’s numerous debts. I set up a short-term loan from the company.’

‘Without Demetrius’s knowledge?’

He gave her a fabricated smile. ‘Of course.’

‘And you called in the loan before he could repay it.’ It wasn’t a question, more of a statement.

‘He got panicky, thought I might spill the beans.’

‘So you twisted the screws?’

‘Only a bit.’

‘Enough to bring on a heart attack.’

‘Now, now.’ He tapped the back of her hand reprovingly. ‘Don’t forget it was Demetrius who fired your father, not me.’

She couldn’t forget it but she wondered if Demetrius would have done so if he’d known about the loan arrangement.

Compassion wasn’t a quality she readily associated with him, but somehow she couldn’t help thinking he might have done something to ease the financial pressure on her father if he’d known what had been going on.

‘I have to go.’ She got to her feet. ‘Demetrius will be wondering where I’ve got to.’

He followed her out of the café, stopping briefly to throw some money on the counter for the coffees. Maddison wished she could shake him off but knew any sign of her uneasiness would make him suspicious. She was in so deeply now she had no choice but to follow it through, even though everything within her revolted at the thought of what she had committed herself to.

He walked with her to the southern end of the park, throwing her a conspiratorial wink as he darted through the congested traffic to get to where he was going.

Maddison stood staring after him for a few moments, waiting until he was out of sight before turning towards the hotel.

Her packages had arrived earlier and she spent the remainder of the afternoon unpacking the clothes she’d bought into the wardrobe in the spare room.

She hadn’t allowed herself to think about whether Demetrius would want her to move into his room. Better to leave things as they were to avoid disappointment.

He came home just as she was putting the empty packaging in the bin under the sink.

She turned as he entered the room, her hands twisted together in front of her, her expression a lot more flustered than she’d have liked.

‘Hello.’

He put down his briefcase and keys before striding across to where she was standing. ‘Hello to you,’ he said, touching her mouth with his in a brief but heady kiss.

‘How have you been feeling today?’ she asked.

‘Such wifely concern,’ he drawled.

‘If you don’t wish me to act as a wife in private and in public you have only to say,’ she said crossly. ‘I can assure you it won’t matter in the least to me.’

He hitched up her chin with a long and very determined finger. ‘Still mad at me?’

Still mad about you, she wanted to say but knew she couldn’t.

She held his look but knew her eyes were brightening with tears as every pulsing second passed.

After a long moment his thumb rose to the edge of her eye and tracked the pathway of a crystal tear under its warm pad.

‘Don’t cry, Maddison.’

His gentle tone was her undoing. She felt her bottom lip tremble and the tears began in earnest, sliding down her cheeks until she could barely see.

Demetrius pulled her into his chest, his hand resting on the back of her head to hold her close.

‘I wondered when this was going to happen.’ His voice rumbled under her cheek.

‘You push me too far,’ she sobbed.

‘I know I do.’ He threaded his fingers through her hair. ‘I can’t seem to help it.’

He held her from him so he could look down at her.

‘Why don’t we call a temporary truce?’

‘Why temporary?’ she asked with a little sniff.

‘I don’t like long-term promises,’ he said, pulling out his handkerchief and handing it to her. ‘I find them hard to keep.’

She wondered if this was some sort of clue to the family background his cousin Nessa had alerted her to.

‘Well, I don’t like short-term commitments,’ she said with an element of recovered pride. ‘It seems to suggest a lack of trust.’

‘Trust is yet another one of those things one has to earn rather than assume as a given,’ he pointed out. ‘But who knows? Maybe in time I’ll change my mind.’

‘Is there anyone you do trust?’

He thought about it for a long moment.

‘I think it’s imperative to trust the people with whom you work closely. I know you don’t understand it, but that’s one of the reasons I had to let your father go—I no longer trusted him.’

Oh, the agony of not being able to clear up that little detail!

‘So—’ she fiddled with one of his shirt buttons, fastidiously avoiding his eye ‘—Jeremy Myalls has quite clearly earned your trust. How did he manage to do that?’

‘Jeremy has worked for me for years. He’s had more opportunity than most to exploit my faith in him, but so far he has conducted himself in a trustworthy manner.’

‘You say that as if you haven’t quite ruled out the possibility that he might disappoint you at some stage.’

‘I have found from past experience that most people disappoint you in the end. The trick is not to let it show how it gets to you.’

Another clue, she thought.

‘Who has disappointed you the most?’ she asked, lifting her gaze to his.

He put her from him and, moving a few steps away, wrenched at the tie at his throat as if he were trying to get rid of a noose around his neck.

‘Why all the questions?’ He frowned. ‘You’re starting to sound like something out of a how-to-really-talk-to-your-husband manual.’

‘Reading one mightn’t be such a bad idea,’ she retorted. ‘I hardly know you at all.’

‘Did I ask you to get to know me?’ He glared at her. ‘I asked you to marry me for a period of time, that’s all.’

‘I don’t like sleeping with strangers.’

‘You don’t have to sleep with me.’

‘Fine by me.’ She folded her arms across her chest.

He gave her a narrow-eyed look. ‘What’s all this about, Maddison?’

‘What’s all what about?’

‘This.’ He waved his arm to encompass them both. ‘I thought we’d moved beyond taking pot shots at each other.’

‘Just because you’ve had sex with me doesn’t mean I have to automatically agree with everything you say.’

‘I’m not asking you to. I just want you to fulfil your part of the arrangement.’

‘For how long?’

‘For as long as I say.’

‘So once again you get to call all the shots.’

‘If you have a problem with that you know how to fix it.’

‘You said that once I married you Kyle’s slate would be clean as far as you were concerned.’

‘Did I?’ He arched one brow. ‘Why don’t you tell me where he is to see if I’m a man of my word?’

‘I wouldn’t trust you as far as I could smell you.’

‘You’re seriously underestimating the strength of my aftershave, not to mention my determination to see justice served.’

She swung away from his arrogant look and fought with herself to keep control.

‘Go and get dressed in something other than one of those disreputable tracksuits you seem to favour,’ he said after a tense little silence. ‘We have a dinner engagement this evening.’

She turned back round to face him. ‘I’m not going out with you.’

‘I’m sorry to disappoint you, but indeed you are.’

‘You can’t make me.’

‘Do you want to test that little theory of yours?’ he asked. ‘I’m more than willing, and you know from experience I’m more than able.’

‘You are the most arrogant man I’ve ever met!’

‘Maybe, but since we’re trading insults you are the most exasperating woman I’ve ever had to deal with. You go from tears to temper in the matter of seconds.’

‘That’s because you make me so angry!’

‘You make me furious, so at least we’re square.’

‘I detest you.’

‘Right now, you’re not exactly on top of my favourite people list either.’

He had the last word yet again.

His words had stung her rather more than she cared to admit, but even as she turned on her heel and stalked from the room deep down she knew her anger was really directed at herself rather than him.

Her need to know more about him as a person sprang from her love for him. She wanted him to learn to trust her, but she couldn’t see that happening with him becoming so prickly as soon as she began to scratch the surface of his background.

The irony was that he trusted the one man he shouldn’t be trusting. Her desire to inform him of Jeremy’s duplicity was overruled by the thought of what Jeremy would do in retaliation. If only she could be sure Demetrius would leave Kyle alone if he were to be informed of his whereabouts, but could she trust him that far?

She couldn’t risk it, at least not yet.

Once she cleared her father’s name, Demetrius might be more willing to listen and renegotiate regarding Kyle’s future, but until then she had to keep silent.

All she had to do was to wait until the money was deposited in her account tomorrow and withdraw it soon after, ready to hand back to Demetrius. In less than twenty-four hours she would be free of the poison of Jeremy’s threats.

All she could do was wait.

She had no other choice.

عرض البوم صور CUTE ROSE  
قديم 15-11-07, 08:10 PM   المشاركة رقم: 23
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدQatar

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER TWELVE

MADDISON came out of the spare bedroom dressed in her new pink chiffon evening dress, her make-up subtle and her hair on top of her head in a casual but elegant knot.

She felt Demetrius’s gaze sweep over her in unashamed male appraisal, making her stomach instantly free fall in reaction to the raw desire she could see reflected there.

‘Shall we go?’ He hooked up his jacket with one finger as he shouldered open the door.

She stepped past him, conscious of her dress drifting across his hard-muscled thighs as softly and seductively as a caress.

All the way down in the lift she felt as if her air supply had been reduced; each breath she drew in seemed to catch somewhere in the middle of her chest.

Demetrius was silent.

He stood watching the numbers descend, his expression now unreadable although Maddison felt sure she could see a tiny nerve beating at the corner of his mouth.

The lift hissed open and he took her arm and drew her close to his side as they made their way past reception to the waiting car.

He didn’t speak until they were more than halfway across town. ‘I was serious about what I said earlier about a truce.’

She sent him a cautious glance, her hands clasping her evening purse in increasing nervous tension.

‘But only a temporary one, right?’ she asked.

He gave a small shrug as he took the Neutral Bay exit.

‘Neither of us is very good at keeping our responses to each other under control,’ he pointed out wryly. ‘But if we take it a day at a time, who knows? We might actually make it through a week or two without a showdown.’

‘I’m not sure why you want to call a cease-fire.’ Her brow furrowed as she fidgeted with the clasp of her purse.

It was a full minute before he asked, ‘Have you ever considered what our relationship would have been if we hadn’t met under our current circumstances?’

Maddison wasn’t sure how to respond to such an unexpected question. What would she have thought of him without the issue of her father and Kyle to colour her earlier judgement?

‘No,’ she answered flatly, unwilling to commit herself. ‘I’ve never thought about it.’

She felt his glance slant her way but didn’t turn towards him.

‘Why don’t we pretend just for tonight that we’ve just met,’ he said.

‘You can’t be serious.’

‘Why not?’

‘Because…’ She sent him a worried look. ‘I’d feel stupid, that’s why.’

‘Let’s give it a trial run,’ he suggested as he deftly parked the car.

‘How do you mean?’ Her hand hovered uncertainly over the seatbelt fastening as if she wasn’t sure if should get out of the car or not.

He held out a hand to her and somehow her fingers slipped into its warm grasp. ‘Hello, Maddison Jones.’ He smiled that thousand watt smile. ‘My name is Demetrius Papasakis. Would you have dinner with me tonight?’

‘I…’ She swallowed the constriction in her throat and began again. ‘Yes, I will have dinner with you.’

His smile lit his eyes and she felt her mouth curving upwards in spite of her earlier misgivings.

He escorted her to the restaurant without touching her, although she felt as if she’d never been more acutely aware of him. His long stride shortened to match hers, his lean muscled arms loose by his sides, his shoulder as close as it could be without actually making contact.

The waiter seated them in a quiet corner of the restaurant and after taking their drinks order moved away discreetly.

Demetrius leaned back in his chair and surveyed her face for a moment.

‘Tell me about you, Maddison Jones.’

‘Me?’ It came out more of a squeak.

‘Yes.’ He smiled with his eyes. ‘You.’

‘I…’ She sent her tongue out to her dry lips. ‘I’m not sure I’d be all that interesting to someone…like you.’

‘You don’t know me, so how do you know what interests me?’

‘I don’t know. I guess I was thinking someone with your sort of…background would find someone from mine a bit boring.’

‘Why not test me and see?’

She couldn’t hold his intense gaze and lowered her own to the glass of champagne the waiter had just set down in front of her.

‘All right.’ She toyed with the stem of her glass. ‘I guess I had a more or less happy childhood until my mother died when I was ten. After that, things were never quite the same, even though my father was so devoted and did his best to be there for us.’ She lifted her eyes to his and was surprised to find how warm they looked. ‘Us being my brother, Kyle, and I,’ she continued. ‘He’s five years younger than me and, to be truthful, a bit of a handful.’

‘How so?’

She ran her finger around the top of her fizzing glass reflectively.

‘Ever since he got into his mid to late teens he’s run a bit wild. You know, the usual stuff, underage drinking, shoplifting, car stealing and…’

‘And?’

She caught her bottom lip between her small white teeth.

‘You can tell me. I won’t tell anyone,’ he put in.

She let her lip go to smile at his dry sense of humour. ‘Boat sinking.’

‘Boat sinking?’

She gave him a rueful roll of her eyes. ‘Yacht sinking, to be precise.’

‘Even worse.’

‘Definitely much worse.’

There was a funny little silence.

‘What about you?’ she asked, picking up her glass and bringing it towards her mouth. ‘Have you got any brothers or sisters?’

He shook his head as he reached for his own drink.

‘I’m an only child. My parents divorced when I was young.’

‘How young?’

Maddison noticed his fingers tightened around his glass but his expression remained mostly detached, as if he were discussing someone else’s history, not his own.

‘Five.’

‘That’s very young,’ she said softly. ‘Who did you live with?’

‘My father.’

‘Did you see your mother very often?’

His eyes met hers across the table and she was more than a little shocked at the hardness in his tone when he spoke.

‘I never saw her alive again.’

Her eyes widened. ‘Never?’

‘She ran off with another man, a workmate of my father’s.’

‘That’s terrible.’ She bit her lip once more. ‘You must have missed her so much.’

‘I was soon taught not to miss her.’

She knew there was a wealth of information in that simple statement but wondered if it was wise to press him for too much more.

‘I’m so sorry,’ she said instead.

‘Don’t be.’ He lifted his glass and drained it. He put it back down with a definitive clink on the table top and smiled. ‘Now, what about hobbies?’

‘Hobbies?’

‘Things you like to do in your spare time.’

‘I haven’t had a lot of spare time just lately.’

‘What if you had lots of free time and money was no object, what then?’

She tilted her head as she thought about it for a moment.

‘I’d like to learn how to play the guitar.’

‘Is that all?’

‘And the cello and the piano and the flute and trumpet and—’

He laughed and held up a hand to stem her flow.

‘What about your hobbies?’ she asked.

‘Like you, I don’t have a lot of spare time but when I do I like to head into the bush where telephones can’t reach me. I like to wake up to the sounds of birds, not traffic, and I don’t want to hear the hum of electricity or computer terminals. I like the silence. In fact, I crave the silence.’

‘Do you chop your own wood?’

‘Sure do.’

‘Do you ever take people with you?’

He gave her a long, intent look. ‘No, not usually.’

‘No girlfriend…or mistress?’

He shook his head. ‘Most of the women I know would never understand my need for that kind of peace.’

She wasn’t sure what to make of his answer. Was he telling her indirectly that she was the only woman he’d ever taken to his version of paradise?

‘I expect most women would find it a bit daunting without modern conveniences.’ She ran her finger over the rim of her glass once more.

‘What about you?’ he asked. ‘How do you think you’d manage?’

‘Well.’ She lifted her gaze to his with a tremulous smile. ‘I would need to be assured there were no spiders, but if I had access to a torch or candle I think I’d cope.’

‘Are you frightened of the dark?’

It wasn’t the first time he’d asked but she didn’t see any point in avoiding the truth now.

‘I am, actually.’ She looked away, her colour high. ‘I can’t seem to help it. Ever since my mother died I found the dark intimidating. I hate admitting it but I’ve been sleeping with the light on since I was ten.’

‘You should have told me.’

‘How could I?’ she asked. ‘I don’t know you, remember?’

‘Forget about the game.’ He frowned as he reached for her hand across the table. ‘You should have told me about your phobia and about your inexperience.’

‘Game or no game, I hardly knew you,’ she pointed out. ‘You forced me to marry you. A week to ten days is not a good time frame in which to feel comfortable enough to share one’s innermost vulnerabilities.’

‘Why did you marry me, Maddison?’

‘Aren’t we playing the I-don’t-know-you game any more?’

‘Not at the moment. Now answer my question.’

‘You know why I married you,’ she said. ‘I did it to protect Kyle.’

‘No other reason?’

She found it hard to hold his look. ‘What other reason could there be?’

He leant back in his chair, his unwavering gaze unsettling her beyond endurance.

‘I can think of one or two, but you mentioned once that you’d make me regret marrying you. How did you intend to bring that about?’

‘I don’t know.’ She fluttered her free hand agitatedly. ‘It was just a stupid emotion-driven threat. I wouldn’t have the first idea of how to make you regret your actions. You seem to always get the upper hand no matter what I do or say.’

‘You are getting to know me then,’ he observed dryly.

She removed her hand from his and nursed it in her lap.

‘I thought we were having a truce?’ she said with a touch of resentment.

‘We are.’

‘You seem angry.’

‘I can assure you I’m not.’

The waiter came to take their order and Maddison felt as if Demetrius had timed his reappearance just so he could have the last word.

By the time their meals arrived the conversation had drifted to less dangerous topics, much to Maddison’s relief. She didn’t know what to make of him in this mood. On the one hand he seemed to want to lay down all ammunition but a small part of her remained wary of his motives.

‘Would you like to go dancing somewhere?’ he asked after they had eaten.

‘I’m not much of a dancer.’ She lowered her gaze somewhat shyly.

‘I can teach you.’

‘I’ll step on your toes.’

‘I have strong toes.’

‘You’ll need them,’ she said as they got to their feet. ‘I have high heels.’

He glanced down at them and his quick grimace was followed by a smile. ‘We’ll just have to take it one step at a time then, won’t we?’

She gave him an answering smile but she couldn’t help wondering if he was talking about their relationship and not dancing after all.

The nightclub he took her to was crowded but the music was good and Maddison couldn’t help feeling the limited space made her lack of dancing skill largely irrelevant. She was so closely pressed against Demetrius’s body she could feel every ridge of his abdomen along hers.

He turned her on the dance floor by slipping one steely muscled thigh between hers, sending a wave of sensation to the heating core of her body. She could feel the tug of desire deep within her and wondered if he could sense it. His eyes smouldered into hers as he moved with her about the floor, his arms around her waist, hers about his neck, each of their thighs moving as one.

It was hard to concentrate on the rhythm of the music with him so close. She could feel his warm breath caress her face as he looked down at her, a silent communication in his dark gaze.

Afterwards she couldn’t precisely remember how they made it back to the car.

She recalled him whispering to her as the song ended, ‘Let’s get out of here,’ and could still feel the way her spine had loosened at the sound of urgency in his tone.

She followed him out on legs not quite steady, her hand in his, her eyes glazed with a desire that threatened to overwhelm her in its intensity.

He drove the car with a ruthless precision that sent shivers of anticipation right through her. Each determined gear thrust she felt between her thighs as he weaved the powerful vehicle between the clotting traffic, the savage throaty roar of the engine sounding almost primal.

A few minutes later he swung the car into the hotel driveway and the valet parking attendant stepped forward for the keys.

Demetrius opened Maddison’s door and she stepped out with her hand in the firm hold of his.

‘Ready, darling?’ His eyes burned into hers.

‘And waiting,’ she breathed.

The lift soared upwards as if it sensed the need for speed its occupants were silently communicating to each other as they stood shoulder to shoulder, staring at the illuminated lights above their heads.

Demetrius unlocked the penthouse door and she stepped through, turning to face him as he pushed the door closed with a flick of his hand.

He didn’t speak.

He reached for his tie and wrenched it from his neck in such an intoxicatingly male fashion she felt her stomach give an instant somersault.

He only paused to undo a couple of buttons before hauling the shirt over his head and reaching for the buckle of his belt.

Maddison reached for the clip in her hair, shaking out the tresses with a toss of her head as she dropped the clip at his feet.

He stepped over it and, grasping her upper arms in his, pulled her in to him, his mouth coming down and covering hers in a kiss that seared her.

She felt his hands on the back fastener of her dress and heard the soft rustle of fabric as it slithered down her body to the floor as if in a sigh of surrender.

She stepped out of its pink circle, kicking off her shoes as she went.

He lifted his mouth from hers, his eyes drinking in her slim form.

‘Maddison.’ His voice came out as a harsh groan as her mouth moved towards him.

He took her head in his hands and push her to the floor with a rough urgency that secretly thrilled her.

He wanted her and he wanted her now.

She felt it in every hard ridge of his body, she felt it in his lips and tongue.

Her unbridled response to him seemed to only intensify his fervid need, his breathing rate increasing with every movement of his body within hers.

She felt herself tip over the edge, the tumultuous waves carrying her off into oblivion where the mind and thought no longer existed.

She had brought him to this.

Demetrius took his time removing himself.

He loved the feel of her body around him, the way she held on to him as if she never wanted to let him go. It made him feel as if she might care for him in some as yet unconscious way.

He wanted her to care for him.

Damn it! He wanted her to love him.

Maddison reached for the pool of her dress as Demetrius got to his feet, her eyes avoiding his. She heard the slide of his zip and then the sound of him putting his shirt on.

‘Maddison.’

She clutched the dress to her chest like a shield.

‘I need to use the bathroom,’ she said.

‘I need to talk to you.’

‘Can it wait?’ She wrapped her dress around her like a sarong.

He clenched his hands to stop himself from tearing it off her.

‘No, I’d like to discuss something important with you.’

She gave him a guarded look which annoyed him immensely. ‘Well?’

He sent a hand through the wild disorder of his hair in a bid to stall for time. He wasn’t sure of her mood. She’d been so responsive but now her guard was up and he didn’t know if she was angry with him or herself.

‘There’s an important issue we need to discuss in the light of our sexual relationship.’

He saw her tense.

‘You haven’t got…anything…have you?’ she asked.

‘No, damn it! I haven’t got anything but I am fertile.’

‘Fertile?’

‘I’m not shooting blanks.’

Maddison stared at him for a speechless moment as the reality of his words sank in.

‘And, as far as I can tell, you’re not on the pill, nor using any other type of contraceptive,’ he continued.

‘I’m not pregnant.’

‘How can you be sure?’

‘Surely I’d know if my own body got pregnant?’ she threw at him. ‘I’m not completely stupid. I’m expecting my period any day now.’

‘I’m very glad to hear it.’

‘I just bet you are.’

‘What’s that supposed to mean?’

She gave him a haughty look. ‘Don’t worry, Demetrius. I won’t slap a paternity suit on you.’

‘I wouldn’t mind if you did.’

Her mouth fell open in shock. ‘What do you mean?’

He bent to pick up his discarded tie, threading it through his fingers idly. ‘I’m thirty-four years old. I’d not like to be too much older before I father a child or two.’

‘A child or two?’

‘A family.’

‘You’re surely not expecting me to…to…’ She flapped her hands in panic and her dress slipped to the floor.

‘Why not?’ he asked. ‘You’re my wife, aren’t you?’

‘I’m a pretend wife!’

‘So that little routine down here—’ he pointed to where they had just made passionate love ‘—was nothing more than make-believe?’

‘It was a moment of madness, that’s what it was.’ She snatched at her dress once more.

‘You know what it was, so don’t deny it.’

‘What do you want me to say?’ She turned on him. ‘That I care something for you? After all you’ve done?’

He held her fiery look for as long as he could but he had to admit she’d made a very good point. How could he expect her to feel anything but the deepest loathing for him?

‘I want you to think about it,’ he said after a small pause.

‘I’ve thought about it and no.’

‘Is that your final word?’

‘Of course it’s my final word.’

‘How soon will you know?’

‘I know now. I told you—I’m not going to be your stupid breeding machine so—’

‘I meant about your period.’

‘I…’ She did a rough calculation in her head. ‘Today or tomorrow, maybe the next day.’

‘You don’t seem very sure.’

‘I’m not a clock, you know!’ She glared at him. ‘Anyway, I’m often late.’

‘You’ll tell me as soon as you know?’

‘It’s none of your business.’

‘I beg to differ but it is now very much my business. You could already be carrying my child.’

A funny sensation trickled into her belly at the thought of her body stretching to accommodate his baby, her abdomen taut, her breasts swollen, the unmistakable evidence of their passion growing inside her.

‘I’m sure I won’t be.’

‘Just because you don’t want something to happen doesn’t ensure it won’t.’

‘I suppose you’ve done this deliberately?’ she asked. ‘Isn’t this taking the pound of flesh a little too far?’

‘I wasn’t thinking when we made love.’

‘We did not make love.’ She sent him a frosty glance. ‘We had sex.’

‘Both produce babies.’

‘I don’t want to listen to this.’ She turned away.

‘There’s something else I’d like to discuss with you.’

She stalled, a shiver of apprehension running through her at some indefinable element to his tone. ‘What?’

‘I don’t want you to have any further contact with Jeremy Myalls.’

She opened and closed her mouth.

‘May I ask why?’ She finally found her voice.

‘I don’t trust him.’

‘I see.’

He wanted to tell her of his suspicions regarding Jeremy’s handling of the investigation into her father’s misuse of company funds but wasn’t sure she was in the right frame of mind to accept his angle on the matter.

‘Is there anyone else I’m forbidden to have contact with?’ she asked with her usual spirit.

‘No.’ He hooked his jacket over his shoulder and turned for the door.

‘Where are you going?’ she asked before she could stop herself.

He gave her an ironic look as he turned the doorknob.

‘I’m going out. Any objections?’

She ground her teeth. ‘No. I don’t give a damn.’

‘I’m very glad to hear it,’ he said and closed the door behind him.

Maddison shut her eyes against the bitter tears but there was no stopping them. She stumbled blindly for the spare bedroom but it was very close to dawn before she finally fell asleep.

Maddison tried not to notice the fact that Demetrius hadn’t returned to the penthouse overnight. She avoided looking at his smoothly made bed on the way past, and after a solitary breakfast made her way downstairs.

She went to the nearest auto teller machine and checked her balance, her eyes instantly widening at the amount documented there.

Jeremy had deposited the funds so all she had to do now was withdraw them.

She made her way inside the next branch of her bank that she came to but when she handed her withdrawal slip to the teller she gave her an apologetic look.

‘I’m sorry, those funds can’t be withdrawn until they clear.’

‘How long will that take?’

The teller looked at her computer screen for a moment.

‘Five working days for the Australian currency and a month for the international ones.’

‘International?’

‘International cheques take up to one month to clear. I’m sorry.’

Maddison left the bank in a state of agitation. She’d wanted to hand over a bank cheque to Demetrius, not have those funds sitting in her bank account for a month!

She had only moved a few paces back through the hotel foyer when a male voice called out to her.

‘Maddison!’

‘Kyle?’

She turned on her heel and threw herself at him, almost choking him with her arms around his neck.

‘Hey, steady on, old girl.’ He extricated himself with a gruff note of affection in his voice.

‘What are you doing here?’ she asked, her expression instantly clouding.

‘I wanted to see you. Mr Marquis gave me an advance so I could come.’

‘You can’t see me here!’

‘Why not?’

‘You know why not!’

‘Let’s go upstairs then,’ he suggested.

She bit her lip in indecision.

‘Come on, Maddy, I won’t keep you long.’

‘All right,’ she said, leading the way. ‘But I’m warning you if the axe falls on your neck this time I’m not stepping on to the block with you.’

The lift carried them upstairs in a mutually agreed silence.

Maddison shut the penthouse door behind them and faced him.

‘Kyle, you really shouldn’t be here.’

‘I know but I had to tell you something important.’

‘What could be more important than you staying out of jail?’

‘I didn’t sink his boat.’

It took her a moment to grasp his simple statement.

‘What?’

‘I didn’t do it.’

She stared at him in horror. ‘What do you mean you didn’t do it? You told me you did it! You said you sabotaged his boat…I mean his yacht, and it sank!’

‘I admit I was on his yacht that night,’ he said. ‘And I wanted to sink it but I didn’t do it. I couldn’t have.’

‘I’m not following you.’ She lowered herself on to the nearest sofa.

He reached for a newspaper clipping in his pocket and handed it to her. ‘I found this in one of the newspapers at Gillaroo. It says Demetrius’s boat was sabotaged by a diving spear. I pulled the plug out of the centre of his yacht, thinking it would do the trick, but it wasn’t enough to sink it.’

‘You didn’t use a diving spear?’

‘Sis, I can’t swim to save myself. How the hell do you think I’d be able to pull off that sort of stunt?’

‘I thought someone must have helped you…’ She swallowed and stared at the newspaper clipping in her hand. It showed a picture of Demetrius’s yacht after its retrieval from the bottom of Parsley Bay, the underside of it clearly scored by three deep puncture marks.

She lifted her confused gaze to his. ‘But if you didn’t do it, then who did?’

عرض البوم صور CUTE ROSE  
قديم 15-11-07, 08:15 PM   المشاركة رقم: 24
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدQatar

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

‘IDON ’T know, but I have a feeling it won’t be long before they reveal themselves,’ Kyle answered confidently.

‘What makes you say that?’

He gave her a superior male look. ‘Because Demetrius has known almost from the start where I was.’

Her eyes widened in shock.‘What?’

‘He called me the other day.’

She got to her feet in agitation, her tumbled thoughts scrambling her brain.

‘But I don’t understand.’ She gripped the back of the drinks cabinet for support. ‘He kept asking me to tell him where you were.’

‘Maybe he wanted you to trust him.’

‘I don’t know how to deal with this.’ She sat down again. ‘Why did he marry me if he didn’t need to know where you were?’

‘Maybe he fancies you.’

She knew her colour was giving her away but there was nothing she could do about it.

‘Or maybe he felt guilty about what happened to Dad,’ he added more solemnly. ‘He hinted at it on the telephone. It seems he was preoccupied at the time of Dad’s trouble with the unexpected death of his mother.’

‘He told you that?’

‘Yeah, he seemed pretty open about it actually. Said how losing a mother so young through divorce had made him run off the rails a bit.’ He lowered his gaze to stare at his scuffed Blundstone boots. ‘I could really relate to what he was saying.’

Maddison stared at her brother as if seeing someone entirely different.

‘I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused,’ he added. ‘I’ve been a right jerk, I know, but it’s taken till now to see it. Demetrius really helped me to see how the past can have such an impact on your future unless you get some insight.’ He straightened to his full gangling height, determination in his tone as he faced her. ‘I’m going back to the Territory in a few hours. I’ve got a muster to do and once that’s over I’m going back to school.’

‘School?’

‘Don’t look so shocked.’ He grinned. ‘That’s another thing your husband taught me in the space of a single phone call. You can’t get anywhere in life without an education.’

Tears brightened her eyes as she hugged him.

‘Be happy, Maddy,’ he said gruffly.

‘I’ll try,’ she promised.

Kyle had not long left for his return trip to the Northern Territory when Maddison heard Demetrius’s key in the lock. He came into the lounge a few moments later, his brooding expression as his eyes met hers striking a chord of disquiet deep inside her.

‘Hi.’ She tried a smile but it didn’t quite work.

He didn’t answer but his eyes glinted darkly as he unclipped the metal fastener on his briefcase as he laid it down on the coffee table between them. He took out a sheet of paper and handed it to her.

‘Want to tell me about this or am I supposed to guess?’ His cold, terse tone sent a trickle of alarm through her.

She stared at the paper in her hands, her throat closing over when she saw it was a bank statement.

Her bank statement.

‘I…I can explain…’

‘I suggest you do so before you find yourself before a High Court judge.’

She blinked at him in shock. ‘Surely you don’t mean that?’

His eyes were almost black with anger. ‘Do you think that just because you slept with me I would overlook something like this? What sort of fool do you take me for?’

‘I…I can explain—’ The bank statement fluttered to the floor as she twisted her hands in front of her agitatedly. ‘I was only doing it to protect—’

His cynical snort cut off her speech and sent another chill down her back. ‘I suppose this is the payback you had planned all along?’ His mouth twisted bitterly. ‘You promised me you were going to make me regret marrying you, and damn you to hell, you did it.’

‘But you don’t understand!’

‘Oh, I understand.’ He came towards her, stopping just inches away from her trembling form, his eyes raking her mercilessly. ‘I understand that you and Jeremy Myalls had planned this for months.’

She frowned in confusion. Had Jeremy told him that?

He slammed his fist against the wall beside her, making her shrink away in alarm. ‘Do you know what gets me the most? I thought you were different. I thought I had finally found someone I could trust with my life.’

‘Demetrius, I…’ She gulped as his eyes flashed with hatred, the rest of her sentence frozen on her trembling mouth.

‘But you didn’t get away with it, Maddison.’ The line of his mouth was rigid. ‘I made sure of that. I’ve been watching Jeremy for weeks. I knew he was up to something. What I didn’t know was how willing a partner in crime you would turn out to be.’

‘I didn’t do—’

‘Are you going to stand there and lie?’ He almost shouted the words. ‘Damn it, Maddison, I have proof. That is your bank statement, isn’t it?’

Her gaze flicked to the damning paper on the floor beneath their feet. ‘Yes.’

‘And, correct me if I’m wrong, but the funds in there are mine on behalf of foreign investors, are they not?’

‘Yes.’ She swallowed again. ‘I was going to get them out to give to you but the bank wouldn’t release them. I didn’t know that there was international money involved and it takes a month for it to clear. I was hoping to withdraw them immediately and—’

‘You expect me to believe that?’

She stood before him uncertainly. ‘I know it looks bad but…’

‘Why should I believe you?’

It was a good question, she had to grant him that.

‘Demetrius, surely you don’t think I would do something like that. I was trying to help you—’

He tilted her chin so that she had to meet the burning fury in his gaze. ‘You wanted my pride and you nearly got it, God damn you.’ He dropped his hand and stepped back from her. ‘I want you out of here by the time I get back.’

‘What?’ Her stomach caved in at his curt dismissal.

‘You heard.’

‘Demetrius, I—’

‘I’m giving you the chance to get away before I press charges,’ he said, cutting her off again. ‘Jeremy hasn’t been quite so lucky.’

He turned and left the penthouse without another word, the door snapping shut behind him with an ominous stroke of finality.

Maddison fought back tears but it was no good. The choking sobs tore at her chest as she sank to the floor where, through her tears, she saw the bank statement with her name printed clearly on the top.

She left the penthouse a short time later, her head down as she went past reception in case any of the staff noticed her reddened eyes and still wobbling chin.

She slipped into the first cab that came along and when the driver asked for her destination she felt another wave of distress hit her. She choked back a sob and reached for the store of tissues up her sleeve, trying to avoid the driver’s concerned gaze in the rear vision mirror.

‘Where to, lady?’ the driver asked after they’d gone around the block.

She lifted her face out of the wad of sodden tissues and met his eyes in the mirror. ‘Do you know where Black Rock Mountain is?’

The driver frowned. ‘Never heard of it. Is it very far from the city?’

‘Not far enough,’ she said wryly and, giving him some directions, sat back in her seat and pulled out yet another tissue.

Demetrius came back to the penthouse late that night, fully expecting Maddison to still be there in direct defiance of his orders. He knew she wouldn’t be able to resist the opportunity to gloat over her final victory, bringing about the revenge she had promised.

How well she had achieved it!

He slammed the door to announce his arrival, sure it would drive her out for yet another confrontation.

Silence.

He frowned as he searched through the apartment, his throat tightening when he realised she wasn’t there.

He turned and saw something lying on the floor next to the bank statement he’d waved under her nose. He bent down to pick it up, his fingers closing around it just like the invisible tension squeezing around his heart.

It was a very wet tissue…

Maddison paid the cab driver with all the money she had in her purse once they arrived at the hut at Black Rock Mountain.

‘You sure you’ll be all right?’ he asked as he gave the remote hideaway a quick, almost nervous, glance. ‘There doesn’t seem to be too much out here.’

‘There’s not, but I prefer it that way.’ She closed the car door and waved him off, fighting off panic as the darkness of night settled around her like a smothering cloak once the car lights had faded into the distance.

She pushed open the door of the hut and, trying to ignore the fear tiptoeing up her spine, reached for the matches on the mantelpiece.

She struck one and breathed a sigh of relief when the soft glow illuminated the heavy darkness. There were still some pieces of tinder amongst the wood in the basket by the fireplace so she made a rough pile with them and, striking a fresh match, watched as the flames took hold, casting a welcome flickering light to the far reaches of the room.

Once the fire was burning steadily she curled up in front of it with a blanket off the bed and, burying her face in its soft folds, tried not to notice how it still held a trace of Demetrius’s aftershave.

She closed her eyes and listened to the sounds of the night outside—the soft chirrup of crickets, the throaty call of a tree frog looking for a mate and the sound of water trickling through the bed of the creek…

Demetrius threatened to sack the entire staff of the hotel for not being able to tell him where Maddison had gone.

‘She got into a taxi,’ one of the junior porters said, under threat of instant dismissal.

‘Which one?’ Demetrius eyeballed him.

The porter pointed to one of the cabs outside. ‘That was the company; why don’t you ask them to do a trace?’

Demetrius turned on his heel and after a few terse words with the driver came back inside. ‘I want my car and I want it immediately.’

The junior porter gave him a nervous look. ‘Which one, sir?’

‘The four-wheel drive, and if it’s not here in under thirty seconds you’re fired.’

‘Yes, sir.’

A short time later Demetrius was on his way, his hands around the wheel white-knuckled in tension.

He’d thought he had it all worked out, the way Jeremy had conspired with Maddison to bring about the revenge they both sought, but if that was so why had she left his apartment in tears? Had he misjudged her? What if Jeremy was lying? After all, what was one more lie, considering all the others he’d managed to pull off over the years?

He frowned as he drove through the encroaching darkness. How had he got it so wrong? She’d only married him to protect her younger wilful brother. Her threats had been little more than an attempt at salvaging her pride at the way he’d railroaded her into an arrangement that was nothing if not distasteful to her.

His gut clenched at the way he’d broken their agreement. If anyone should be accused of lying it should be him. He’d wanted her from the first day he’d called at her flat, her flashing blue eyes defying him to do his worst. Her innocence had been a total shock to him, and now that he’d had time to think about it, it explained a lot about her that he’d previously overlooked. She wasn’t some grasping opportunist after a fast buck. She was a devoted sister who had been prepared to sacrifice herself so her brother could escape punishment.

The hut was in darkness when he arrived and for a heart-stopping moment he wondered if the information he’d been given had been wrong. But on opening the door he shone his torch around and saw her curled up in front of the now dead fire, her hair across her cheek, her small hand like a starfish where it rested on the blanket.

He sat on the rickety chair and watched her sleep until the sun came over the horizon and shone its warming rays of light through the window.

Maddison opened her eyes to find Demetrius sitting watching her and from what she could tell of his darkly shadowed eyes he’d been doing so for quite a while.

She brushed her hair out of her face as she struggled upright, her eyes skilfully avoiding his.

‘Why did you come here, Maddison?’ he asked, his voice containing no trace of the anger of the evening before.

‘I’m sorry…’ She got to her feet and headed for the door. ‘I’ll leave straight away.’

‘To go where?’

She gave him a nervous glance over her shoulder. ‘I’m not sure…I’ll find somewhere.’

‘On foot?’

She bit her lip. ‘If I have to.’

‘Is my company so distasteful to you?’

She lowered her gaze. ‘No.’

‘Why didn’t you tell me you had nothing to do with Jeremy’s plot to siphon off money from my company?’

‘I tried to tell you but you wouldn’t listen.’

‘I mean right from the start,’ he said. ‘Why didn’t you come to me as soon as you knew what he was up to? You had no need to compromise yourself in such a way.’

Her eyes came back to his. ‘I didn’t know if you would believe me. You hadn’t believed my father; why would you listen to me?’

His expression clouded with guilt. ‘I made a big mistake with my handling of your father’s situation. I can’t change that. I was distracted by the death of my mother and relied too heavily on Jeremy to sort things out.’ He scraped a hand through his hair and continued. ‘I have since learnt the details of the arrangement Jeremy made with your father over the loan. All I can say is that I’m sorry I didn’t see his ruthless behaviour before now; fewer people would have been hurt if I had.’

She gave him a direct look. ‘How long have you known where Kyle was?’

‘I knew where Kyle was within days of him leaving for the Northern Territory.’

‘Why did you pretend you didn’t know? You could have sent him to prison at any time and I wouldn’t have been able to stop you.’

‘I would’ve, except I realised he didn’t sink my yacht.’

She stared at him for a long moment. ‘How did you know?’

‘You said that Kyle couldn’t swim very well and I came to the conclusion he could never have done it, or at least not without considerable help.’

‘Do you know who did it?’

‘Surely you don’t need me to tell you?’

‘Jeremy?’

‘Got it in one.’

Maddison gnawed her lip for a moment as her confused thoughts ran together in a blur. ‘But I don’t understand why you insisted on me marrying you if you already knew where Kyle was. I don’t see the point. What did you hope to gain by it?’

His dark eyes meshed with hers, the corner of his mouth lifting in a wry smile. ‘You can’t guess?’

‘You said it was a smokescreen. I know Elena Tsoulis is your mistress.’

‘I haven’t seen Elena since the day of our marriage.’

‘You haven’t?’ Hope sprang in her chest as she looked up at him.

He shook his head. ‘I had much more important things on my mind. Like trying to get you to fall in love with me so our marriage could be permanent instead of temporary.’

She blinked at him. ‘But…but I thought you had no intention of being tied down. You warned me not to get attached to you. You made it clear you didn’t trust long-term promises.’

‘I’ve learnt a lot about myself over the last few days,’ he confessed. ‘A lot of it I haven’t liked. I’d always insisted my mother’s desertion hadn’t affected me but my pattern of relationships up until now has proved that isn’t the case. I never stayed with any lover long enough for my feelings to become engaged, that is until I met you. Within a few days of meeting you I realised I had met the one woman who could unlock my heart. I fell in love with everything about you—your undivided loyalty to your brother and your unerring defiance even when you were scared. It was a pretty heady mixture, wrapped up in a small but totally desirable body which seemed unable to resist my touch.’

Maddison stared at him, not sure she was hearing him correctly.

‘When I met you that day at your flat it occurred to me I had never met anyone who would go so far out on a limb for someone else. Initially I thought I’d test you, to see how far you’d actually go, but within a very short time I realised I was the one prepared to do anything to keep you, even blackmail.’

‘Why did you ask me to leave last night?’

He grimaced as if the memory of what he’d said still pained him. ‘I was blindingly angry. I didn’t stop to think if I’d misjudged the situation. When Jeremy told me you and he had been in cahoots, plotting revenge, I saw every tone of red. It was only later when I came back to the penthouse and found your damp tissue on the floor that I realised I may have misinterpreted something. I couldn’t understand why you’d be crying if everything Jeremy had said was true.’ He came and stood nearer, his hand going to her chin to lift up her face to meet his eyes. ‘Why were you crying?’

‘I didn’t want to leave you…’

‘Why not?’ His voice was deep and husky, his eyes dark and smouldering as they held hers.

‘I know you told me not to, but I just couldn’t help it. I fell in love with you.’

‘Even though I blackmailed you into marriage?’

‘I think especially because of that. I was so busy fighting you I didn’t realise what was happening until it was too late.’

‘Don’t remind me of how ruthless I was,’ he said. ‘I still cringe to think of how I rushed you into bed.’

‘You regret it?’ Her expression clouded.

‘I don’t regret it one bit.’ He took her hands in his. ‘I do, however, feel as if I railroaded you into a relationship you weren’t quite ready for.’

She looped her arms around his neck, pressing herself closer.

‘What makes you think I’m not ready?’

He smiled down into her sparkling blue eyes, his heart swelling with love.

‘I think I’m going to need a little more convincing,’ he said. ‘Call me suspicious, but I like to be absolutely certain before I make long-term commitments.’

‘What would convince you?’

‘I don’t know.’ He drew her even closer. ‘Any suggestions?’

‘How about this?’ She pressed a soft kiss to his mouth.

‘Not bad,’ he said after a few minutes. ‘But I think it’s going to take a bit more to bring me round completely.’

Maddison’s fingers went to the knot of his tie, loosening it and drawing it through the collar of his shirt to let it fall to the floor at their feet.

‘How about this?’ She trailed a hot blaze of feathery kisses down his neck, opening his shirt button by button to continue on over the flat plane of his abdomen.

‘Convinced yet?’ She looked up at him briefly as her fingers went to the buckle of his leather belt.

‘Not entirely.’ He sucked in a breath as the belt slid to the floor to join his tie.

‘Am I getting close?’

‘Very close,’ he answered and, hauling her upright, scooped her in his arms and carried her towards the bedroom.

‘Shouldn’t you be at work instead of being out here in the wilderness?’ she asked as he shouldered open the door.

His dark chocolate gaze glittered with naked desire as he looked down at her smiling face.

‘I’ve got better things to do right now.’

‘I thought that to billionaires making money was the most important thing.’

‘There is one thing much more important to this particular billionaire than making money,’ he said.

‘Oh?’ She wriggled out of her tracksuit and dimpled up at him. ‘What is that?’

He pressed an open mouthed kiss .

She sucked in a tight little breath. ‘Aren’t…you going to tell me?’

‘No.’ He grinned down at her wolfishly. ‘I’m going to show you instead.’

عرض البوم صور CUTE ROSE  
قديم 15-11-07, 08:54 PM   المشاركة رقم: 25
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات