الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
التسجيل: Aug 2006
العضوية: 11023
المشاركات: 5,556
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: darla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عالي
نقاط التقييم: 758

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : darla المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

CHAPTER FIVE
A SINGLE light burned, otherwise the hospital room was very still. All that day Tarquin had been very low, and Ruan had waited for hours, her every nerve tensed for a footfall, some word that he had rallied again. It was awful to be powerless to do anything but wait, but when accident struck only those of science could help; those who cared could only keep a lonely vigil. Ann and her fiancé were not present this evening; they had gone to London to visit Buck's parents.
'Miss Perry!'
Ruan got to her feet and gazed anxiously at the large figure of Hugh Strathern, all shoulders and a noble head of red hair, but his hands were as fine-boned as a woman's. He came to her and laid those hands on her shoulders.
'You're always here, aren't you, standing by. Well, come with me, young lady, and let's see if your voice can reach that young man. Science can do everything but play the role of woman - do you understand me ?'
*Yes.' She understood that at last she was wanted.
All through the night Ruan sat and talked to Tarquin, of the things of childhood and school; the funny and the sad, half-forgotten and now remembered. Her voice made a soft sound in the quiet room as she talked of the plays she had seen him in, and he lay very still, clinging to the awareness of sound, the feminine softness of her voice. Life, love, a woman at his bedside ... but when at last he murmured a name, it was Nina.
As the morning light drifted into the room and the night lamp was extinguished, Hugh Strathern looked at his patient and nodded to himself. Then he took hold of Ruan and took her from the room.
'The lad is sleeping. Come and drink coffee with me, and then you can go home and sleep.'
'You mean-?' She gazed at him with hopeful eyes.
He nodded. 'I've seen it before. Men can't be born without a woman, and they don't want to die if a woman cares enough to hold them back. He'll be all right now. It was a kind of crisis, and he needed to know that a certain woman was with him.'
'Me?' she asked wistfully, remembering how he had murmured a name that was not hers.
Strathern shook his red head. 'Nina, his wife. He probably blames himself in part for her illness, and last night he believed she was with him. He rallied because of her, not you. D'you understand, my girl?'
'Not fully.' She gazed over her coffee cup at the surgeon. T>o tell me everything. I want to understand.'
'Right!' Three spoonfuls of sugar went into the surgeon's cup of black coffee. Towers has suffered a skull fracture induced by lightning and thunder. They're supernatural things - part of the plays he's often acted in. Ever seen him as Cassius?'
She nodded, a light in her eyes.
'Magnificent portrayal. No other actor gets the character as right as he does - Iscariot - Betrayal - Love - Hatred. Actors are strange people, young woman. They live their parts, on and off the stage. Now take this business of Nina, his wife. He loved her, perhaps he still loves her, but there are times when he wishes her out of his life. This sets up a guilt barrier, and he was at that barrier last night. He had to find Nina - she had to come to him - and so I put you •at his bedside. He thought you Nina, my child. And now there is every chance that when he recovers fully he will have forgotten who you are, and what you meant to him.'
Ruan's heart beat heavily. She was both tired and strung to a pitch of acute awareness. 'You mean that because of this haunting feeling of guilt, he has now put me out of his life?'
'It's something you must be prepared for,' Strathern warned.
'Last night I was his safeguard because he thought me Nina. Now you are saying-' But she couldn't put it into words. It was too much to take. It was too painful.
'If he doesn't know you when he sees you,' said Hugh Strathern, 'then there's little hope that he will remember that he loved you. You've been part of his guilt, now he has slipped free of that guilt, and if there is continued non-acceptance of you - as Ruan - then don't stay around to torment yourself, my child.'
'What will I do?' she asked bleakly. 'Where shall I go? We had planned, Tarquin and I, to be together in Rome.'
'Would you have been truly happy?' asked the blunt surgeon.
She hesitated, for something about the man's honesty compelled the painful truth. She shook her head. 'I love him, that's all I know for sure.'
'If he knows you, then you'll go away with him?'
'Yes - if he wants me.' She met the surgeon's eyes, a blue-green, rather like a balmy sea. 'You think it would be wrong, and that in the end Nina would come between us?'
'Inevitably. I've been in touch with the clinic at Los Angeles. It isn't that she can recover ... it's that she can't that will finally make his guilt intolerable for you.'
Ruan couldn't speak. He was too wise, this man, not to be telling her the blunt facts.
'You're young,' he said. 'Go seek another place to live, another love to help you forget.'
'Where do you suggest?' Her smile was fleeting. 'Land's End?'
'H'm, right now you need some sleep,' he said gruffly. 'Go home and rest, and perhaps I shall think of something for you to do.'
'You, Mr. Strathern?'
'Me, young woman. This crusty, elderly cynic, who was once much in love himself. We were married, Sheik and I, but I lost her when our daughter was born.'
'I ... I had no idea,' Ruan said with sympathy. 'I'm sorry.'
'I don't talk about it. Yseult is at school - the convent sort over in France - and in two weeks she'll come home for the summer holidays. She's a mite delicate. I'd like her to have a long holiday by the sea. Maybe-' 'Maybe what, Mr. Strathern?' "Well, we'll wait a bit. See what develops.' 'No, please go on, now you've gone this far!'
'Well, I was thinking that I'd need someone to be with Yseult - I'm tied by my work, you understand. One of the teachers is bringing her over from Brittany -1 thought you could meet her, and perhaps spend the summer with her.'
'You - you seem very certain that I'll be at a loose end.'
He shrugged his broad shoulders. 'Brain surgery is my business. Has Powers shown any signs yet that he remembers you?'
'No.' The word emerged as a pained whisper.
'I'm sorry, child. But in the long run it could be for the best.'
*No matter how much it hurts ?'
'There's always pain when something needs mending.'
'My foolish heart?'
'You're still in your teens, Ruan Perry. And you've grit. You sat by that bedside last night and talked when it would have been easier to weep. He's quite a man, eh, lass ? Handsome as one of those Greek gods mentioned in books?'
She nodded. 'And kind. That's why it worries him to be happy when Nina can't be. It's been a sad marriage. He's deserved better - warmth, companionship, children. He's more than a gifted actor, Mr. Strathern.'
'You wouldn't love him if he were less.' The blue-green eyes dwelt shrewdly upon her. 'If things don't work out for you, will you be a companion for my girl while she's home for the summertime? Yseult is a nice creature - imaginative. Your son. But it worries me that she has her mother's delicate constitution and not mine. Bull Strathern, they used to call me at medical college.'
'You have a soft heart,' Ruan smiled.
'Aye, soft for those I like, and I like genuine people.'
They parted on those words, and Ruan walked home through the early morning sunshine to the Tudor inn where she had been staying for the past week. St. Cyr had turned up and tried to persuade her to return to the villa, but she had been adamant. There was no more room for her in their lives and she had chosen to go her own way. The room she had booked at the Bard and Harp was a temporary arrangement. She might go and work in London, where she would find more permanent accommodation.
She gazed around at the well-known town in which she had lived for twelve years, and she knew it would be a wrench to leave Avendon. It was an attractive place, but she felt she could no longer stay here - not if Tarquin had forgotten their days on the river, and the love he had vowed.
She tilted her chin bravely. Strathern had warned her very clearly that she might no longer mean anything to Tarquin. In which event she would really be on her own, to choose between London, or a summer job as companion to the young daughter of the man who had saved Tarquin. Every moment they had shared was precious, and something to be always grateful for. He might so easily have died, and that would have been infinitely harder to bear.
Ruan visited the hospital regularly, but upon Strathern's advice she didn't go in to see Tarquin. They must wait and see if he asked for her.
He didn't.
He never mentioned her to Ann, or showed any sign that he had been in love with a girl while starring in plays at the Mask. He remembered the theatre. Knew all the company and every play, right up to the moment when the lightning struck. He spoke vividly of being in the aisle with Valentinova when the dome had cracked and caved in on them. He was clear on every point but one ... when Ann mentioned casually a girl called Ruan, he asked if she were a member of the cast. 'Though I can't recall the name,' he added.
It was over!
Ruan knew it before she received an invitation from
Hugh Strathern to have a meal with him at the Mill Loft. She dressed herself attractively and applied colour to lips set in a plucky smile. No one must know how deep was the hurt that she was the one person Tarquin could not recall. She who loved him had become a stranger to him, shut out of his memories, and his life.
She had to learn how to live without him, arid she was ready to be swayed by the blunt, shrewd surgeon who had mentioned already a plan that would make it easy for her to slip out of Avendon.
She had only ever seen him in a flying white coat, and this evening he wore olive-green tweeds and his thick red hair was brushed smooth. 'You look nice, lass,' he said with appreciation. 'I feel fifteen years younger, taking supper with a pretty girl. Now what will you have to drink? I'm a gin and tonic man. Find it peps me up after a busy day.'
'I'll have the same,' she said. 'It was nice of you, Mr. Strathern, to drive all the way down from London to see me.'
'I count it a pleasure.' He turned to the waiter to order their drinks, and then he sat looking at her, a shrewd light in his sea-green eyes. 'You haven't cried once, have you? It might help.'
'I'm not the weeping sort.' She forced the smile back to her lips. 'And I don't regret knowing Tarquin, and loving him. But I won't pretend that he'll be easy to forget. Unlike me he isn't the forgettable sort.'
'You mustn't believe that what he felt for you was fleeting and casual. On the contrary, child, it's the deep-felt things that sometimes have to be pushed into hiding or they might drive us mad.'
'Then you think - in time-?' She looked both wistful and eager, her eyes grey-violet, shadowed by the lashes that gave her a look that hinted at Celtic mysteries.
'He might one day remember you, Ruan, but you must accept for the present that you're a stranger to him. Have you thought over my suggestion, that you spend the summer with Yseult and keep an eye on her for me ?'
She hesitated to speak as the waiter brought their drinks and asked if they would like to order their meal. They both decided on chilled melon to start, with a steak and salad for Strathern, and a chicken and mushroom omelette for Ruan. They were then alone again and he was looking at her, waiting for her answer.
'I ... I had thought of going to London,' she said. 'I must find a regular job.'
'But surely you intend to take a holiday?'
'These past two weeks were my holiday.'
'It has hardly been a fortnight of relaxation. Look, Ruan, I really need someone to look after my girl for the summer. I'm not suggesting the arrangement out of a sense of pity. God forbid! Being proud myself I can see what sort of a girl you are.' The ice rattled in his glass as he lifted it to his lips. His eyes held hers over the rim. 'It would be conge paye. Six weeks by the sea, and the undemanding friendship of my Yseult. Otherwise I shall have to find someone else for the job - some staid woman, no doubt, who wouldn't be such fun for Yseult to be with.'
'You're very persuasive, Mr. Strathern.' Ruan smiled a little as she took a sip of her drink and felt the ice cool against her lips. It was a rather lovely evening, with the long red shadows of sunset stretching across the fields and touching the watermill to tawny beauty.
'I think you want to be persuaded,' he said bluntly. 'London is a noisy, bustling place, and a stranger to it can feel devilish lonely. Some time in the country will rest you, and prepare you for the city. Being with my youngster might help you to forget the anxiety of these past two weeks. Might make more bearable the heartache you're feeling right now.'
'Do you think Yseult would like me?'
'She's my daughter, Ruan, and I like you. Ah, here comes our supper. I'm ravenous! Had a particularly interesting case to deal with, but I'd better not talk shop. I'm forgetting you aren't one of my nurses.' He glanced up from his melon on ice. 'Have you ever thought of taking up nursing?'
'I've too much imagination,' she smiled. 'Antiques are more my line. Inanimate things that can't feel pain if they happen to get broken.'
'You're very vulnerable, Ruan, child.' He looked directly into her eyes. 'You need someone strong to take care of you. Someone not like that actor man; older, less romantic, more down to earth.'
She shook her head. 'I don't want to fall in love again. It's so wonderful, and then it's over and you're more aware of loneliness than ever before. This is nice melon.'
'Mmmm, lovely and sweet.'
'It should be,' her dimple came and went as she looked at the crusting of brown sugar he had given the melon on his plate.
'You should smile more often, Ruan. That's quite a dimple you have.'
'It's odd. It has no twin,' she rejoined. She wanted to forget that once in a dream she had been asked if it was for pepper or spice. That later on it had held kisses from Tarquin.
'Where will Yseult be spending her holiday?' she asked.
'Ah, in a very lovely and legendary place.' His eyes lit up. 'I have a house there - or rather it's two cottages knocked into one, with a modernized interior, but with the exterior kept intact. You know, time-mellowed stone walls, and a thick tawny thatching. I bought the place a couple of years ago, and now and again I go there for a bit of a rest. I take out my boat, the Saucy Bride, and do some fishing. I have a friend who lives only a few miles from the cottage. Makes it sort of cosy - if you can call such a wild and wonderful place by that term!'
Ruan stared across the table at Hugh Strathern and remembered the boy who had fallen from some high cliffs and been operated on by the surgeon, who happened to be staying in the district.
'You're talking about Cornwall!' she exclaimed.
'That I am, lass. There's no place like it. The land of King Arthur and his Knights. Where the sea folk still believe in the legend of the mermaid, and where the moorland dwellers walk quick across the heather when the sun sets. They say the stone people still dance, and you might hear a footfall on the bracken right behind you.'
Hugh Strathern cut into his steak with appetite. 'Yes, Cornwall. Yseult loves the place. Last year a cousin of mine was able to stay with her at the cottage, but she's since got married and I'm left in a spot.' He glanced up at Ruan. 'You'd find Cornwall much to your liking. It's the perfect place for someone with a lot of imagination, and the bathing can't be bettered - superb beaches, majestic cliffs, and old castle ruins for you and the child to explore. Come, can you resist my sales talk ?'
She met his smile, but her thoughts were confused. Cornwall was a big place, but when you didn't care to run into someone a place could become awfully small. You could expect at any moment to come face to face with the one person you wished to avoid. That person was Eduard Talgarth. She wanted never again to meet the man who thought of love as something to be bought.
'I don't know what to do,' she confessed. 'I keep hoping that Tarquin will remember me, and if I go away-'
'Look,' said Strathern, 'I'll strike a bargain with you. See him tomorrow. Confront him now he's on the mend, see him with that attractive actress, and if he knows you, then forget I ever mentioned Cornwall. On the other hand,' Strathern pursed his lips, 'if you find that you mean no more to him, then do what I ask. Go to Cornwall and meet the boat that will be bringing Yseult home from Brittany. Go with her to the cottage and spend the summer there.'
'You're making it an ultimatum?' she half smiled.
'I am, lass..Someone has to make up your mind for you. Now is it a bargain ?'
She fiddled with the salt pot, and the ring on her hand was a sparkling blue in the dim, romantic light of the Mill. ' Strathern put out his hand and touched it. "Unusual ring. It looks like a flying beetle with gemmed wings.'
'It's a scarab. Tarquin gave it to me. It's a symbol of protection, and is supposed to bring good fortune.'
'You feel very much hurt, don't you, lass?' Strathern spoke with a gentleness that would have amazed his medical colleagues, who knew him as a blunt, brilliant man with little time for women, except as patients who needed his skill. He was reputed to have loved only one woman.
'Yes.' Ruan felt instinctively the kindness beneath his rugged exterior. She could open her heart to him when even with Ann she was reserved, quiet about the extent of her despair. It seemed as if happiness itself had been taken from her. 'He said such lovely things to me. He said he needed me. Now I am the one person he seems to have forgotten, as if I never counted.'
'I've told you, lass, at present for Tarquin Powers you are easier to forget than to remember. He feels torn by guilt because he loves you instead of that poor, nerve-torn creature miles away in Los Angeles. He's a sensitive man, otherwise he'd take you for his own without a scruple. He'd say what other men would say. Nina can't give me love and affection, but Ruan can.'
Tears came into her eyes as Strathern spoke, for how could she forget those perfect days on the river, when each thing they said, each glance they exchanged, had held the excitement of their growing love. He was in her heart, a tenderness and a tempest.
'Tomorrow you will go and see him,' said Strathern. 'It will hurt even more if he looks at you with a stranger's eyes, but there is a remedy.'
'Cornwall?' she murmured.
'Aye, an escape to the sun, Ruan. A chance for you to forget, or for him to remember.' He lifted his wine glass to his lips and took a deliberate sip. 'Your eyes ask me when you must go. It will be next weekend. Yseult is coming home a little earlier than the other pupils because she has had a bad cold and I want her to get some good Cornish air into her lungs as soon as possible.'
He paused and a gruffness came into his voice. 'I don't want anything to happen to the youngster. She's all I've got, apart from my work.'
Ruan was moved by his words. To have someone was not to be alone. Loneliness was so unbearable.
For the remainder of the evening they talked of other things, and it was around ten o'clock when he escorted her to the Bard and Harp. 'Drive home carefully, Mr. Strathern,' she said.
'It would be nice if you'd call me Hugh, though I admit it's a rather villainous name.' He smiled. 'My wife used to tease me about it.'
'Yseult never knew her?' Ruan murmured.
"No, more's the pity. It has always been my regret that Sheik died young and that Yseult was deprived of knowing her. I try to spend as much time as possible with the girl, but as you can understand I'm kept fairly busy. I only wish I could get away before August. Ruan-?'
'Very well,' she committed herself. 'I'll be Yseult's holiday companion - if Tarquin doesn't want me.'
'Good girl!' He pressed her hand, and then slid behind the wheel of his car. 'Au revoir, my lass. You have my phone number, so keep in touch with me.'
'I will. Goodnight, Hugh.'
He flashed her a smile, and then he was gone, leaving her alone beneath the wind-swayed signboard of the inn. Au revoir. The words echoed through her mind. Would she and Tarquin meet again... to love again?

It was early in the morning when Ruan left Avendon. With a gallant tilt to her chin she took a bus to the railway station. 'Off on a holiday?' remarked the conductor, taking note of her suitcase.
*Yes.' She kept on smiling because she didn't dare to stop. Tm going to Cornwall.'
'Lucky you! They say it's better than going abroad. My wife wants to visit Italy. She wants to see the fountain of Trevi. Seems to imagine she's going to toss in a coin and meet that Latin heartbreaker who was in that film all about Rome. You women!' he laughed. 'Aren't you a romantic lot?'
'I suppose we are,' Ruan agreed.
She was on her way to London, to see a little of it with Hugh Strathern and to buy clothes suitable for a beach holiday. She would leave on Friday for Pencarne, to open the cottage, air the bed linen, and buy supplies of food. The boat bringing Yseult home would arrive on Sunday, giving Ruan a little time to get accustomed to the cottage and its picturesque surroundings.
She was met at the station by Hugh, who didn't waste time on sympathetic remarks. What more could be said, what use were words, how could they console her? She and Tarquin had met as planned, but seeing her had made no difference to the lapse of memory which made her a stranger to him. He had not known her for the girl he had fallen in love with.
Strathern drove her to a small hotel where she booked in for three days, then with a smile he told her that he was going to show her London in one fell swoop ... this turned out to be lunch at the G.P.O. tower, which reared its strange shape into the sky above historic Fitzroy Square. An express lift swooped them to the sky lounge, where he ordered drinks and showed her a letter from Yseult, who was thrilled that her Pops had found her a nice young companion for the summertime. She looked forward immensely to showing Ruan all over romantic Cornwall. They would visit Tintagel, and Dozemare Pool on the moors. And they mustn't miss going to St. Avrell.
Ruan glanced at Strathern. 'Is the cottage anywhere near St. Avrell?' she asked, for the name had a significance she couldn't dismiss. It was there that Charme's merchant prince had his chateau!
'St. Avrell is about five miles from Pencarne.' Hugh's eyes searched her face, which revealed some of her dismay. 'There are sheer cliffs, high breakers, a lonely sort of grandeur that cuts it off the map for the ordinary tourist looking for a suntan and souvenir shops. You seem to have heard of it - perhaps in connection with the case of the girl who was discovered in one of the coves, a local beauty, found strangled by her own long dark hair.'
Ruan caught her breath. It seemed as if there had to be something dramatic about the place where Eduard Talgarth lived, master of a house built long ago for a French noble. There had to be a rugged grandeur, dangerous seas, and a girl left strangled by her lover.
"Looking forward to this holiday?' Strathern spoke rather wistfully, as if he wished to run away to Cornwall with Ruan and his schoolgirl daughter.
'Yes, I think I am.' She leaned forward to gaze from the windows of the revolving lounge high over London. Hugh pointed out places of interest, and she forced herself to be attentive. She must look forward now, and try to forget the polite smile of the stranger which Tarquin had given her when she had said goodbye to him. Her only consolation was that he had looked so much better, and could move the long legs which might so easily have been handicapped. His spine was terribly bruised, but X-rays had revealed no permanent damage.
He would stride again across a stage. He would go to Rome, and might never remember that she was the girl to whom he had said: 'Come with me. I can't be alone any more.'
After lunch, Hugh took Ruan out on to the windswept terrace of the tower, and as her hair whipped his cheek she said breathlessly that it was like the high poop deck of a sailing ship. His hand gently nipped her waist. 'You're full of imagination,' he said. 'Yseult will like that. She's of your breed, Ruan - romantic, idealistic, swept by compassions that seem foolish to harder folk. You and she are the fable folk. You need protecting.'
'Oh, I don't know,' she smiled. 'I've stood square on my own feet since my mother died. My stepfather couldn't really be bothered with me, and Charme has never known what to make of someone who prefers messing about on the river to sitting under a drier in a hairdresser's. I've had to be independent, and I think I've coped quite well.'
'You've coped splendidly,' he agreed, 'but you've been lonely, haven't you, lass? Maybe that was why you fell so in love-'
'No,' she shook her head. "Loving Tarquin was not on the rebound from loneliness. It had a magic quality. It was something that happened as if we were spellbound. I don't think I shall ever forget him.'
'Then you'll condemn yourself to future loneliness, Ruan.'
'Can't a woman, or a man, find something other than love to take the place of being lonely?' She met the surgeon's eyes, 'Haven't you?'
'My work is important, to me and to others, but-' he shrugged his shoulders, 'at the end of the day I go home to well-ordered rooms, and I eat alone a meal prepared by my housekeeper. I read, watch a little television - I enjoy those old Hollywood movies scorned by the with-it brigade - and I have a few golfing cronies. No, Ruan! There's little else that can take the place of a loving companion.'
'Then we're a pair!' She smiled with an innocence un-assumed. 'We've loved and lost. Hugh, it was good of you to bring me here to this fascinating place. One must be able to see all over London.'
"There are several more places we must see together, before you leave on Friday for Cornwall. Have you seen much of London?'
'Not a lot. Before Catrina died we lived at Warwick where she worked for a rather crotchety lady writer. Stephen St. Cyr came there one day to discuss the buying of some land owned by Naomi Kane, saw .my mother and fell in love with her. I think she married him more for my sake than her own. She wanted security and was afraid that if she died while I was still a child I'd be put into an orphanage. But I'm afraid I was always a misfit in the St. Cyr household. The only real happiness came with Tarquin ...'
Ruan turned and smiled at Hugh Strathern. 'I'm not sad,' she assured him. 'Only very glad that you were his surgeon and that he'll get well and strong again. He has much to give the world, and I think I always knew that our time together was too lovely, too like a dream to last beyond the time allowed for dreaming.'
There was a little silence, as if Strathern was very moved. And then he said gruffly: 'I'm glad my Yseult will have your company through the summertime. I'm glad you will have hers. It's a good arrangement.'
'I'm happy with it,' Ruan said brightly.
'Aye, a little happier than you were.' He took her by the arm and they left the high terrace of the tower. He paid the bill and they stood waiting to go down in the lift. A young couple stood nearby holding hands, and Ruan had to glance away. She couldn't help but remember the man with a whimsical, teasing light in his eyes who used to hold her hand, pressing into her bones, but gently, the ring with the blue scarab ... the ring he had first put on her left hand and which she had wrenched off, thinking he mocked her.
She would go on remembering vividly all they had said, all the little meanings attached to love. He had forgotten, and might never remember again the girl he had called 'dear nymph'.

In the next couple of days Ruan saw Hugh Strathern whenever he was free, and they explored the London he loved - Parliament Square, so wonderfully gothic, with its clock tower crowned by a steeple that looked key against the blue sky. They walked across the squares dappled by leaf shadows, the bright red buses passing by, the turrets and pinnacles old-gold with age.
They stood on Tower Bridge and gazed down upon the broad, silky waters of the Thames. The Tower stood massive, indestructible, black and grey in the sunlight. Here long ago the royal barges had set out for the other palaces along the river, now the riverbanks were lined with mysterious-looking warehouses, and a merchant ship stood at anchor, its funnels dark with smoke and sea weather. She was called the Lady Erline and men were busy unloading her cargo.
'Have you ever wanted to set sail for far places?' Ruan smiled. 'To see spice islands and seven-storey pagodas?'
"Have you, my lass?'
'Oh, I'm just a dreamer really. I expect if one saw those places in reality they wouldn't be half as exotic as we imagine them. I wonder where that old ship has been and what she carries below her decks ?'
'Something quite ordinary, I expect. Crates of rum or sacks of sugar.'
'Not silks and perfumes and smuggled pearls?'
Hugh studied her with an odd smile. 'You seem very interested in that kind of trading, which still goes on in certain parts of the East.'
'Yes, I gathered as much from someone I once met - a man who was interested in my stepsister. I'm sure he was a pirate of the high seas!' She gave a laugh. 'Hugh, do you think me as young and romantic as Yseult ?'
'In some ways you're young. In others-' He laid his hand over hers on the sun-warmed rail of the bridge. 'Your name suits you well, Ruan. You attract and yet you're elusive as running water. "Well, lass, where shall we go and eat?'
'You choose.' She slipped her hand from his and lifted it to smooth her hair. .There must be no flirting with Hugh. He was a rather lonely man and ready to like her beyond friendship, and she didn't wish to hurt him. He was someone who deserved better than love on the rebound.
He took her to the Square Rigger in the heart of the city, a pub designed to look like the inside of a ship, and over their meal she talked of all the impersonal things she could think of. Tomorrow she would be leaving for Cornwall, and Hugh would soon become immersed again in his important work. He would soon forget that for a few days he had thought of her romantically, and away from him she would not feel this treacherous need to turn to him for comfort.
It was over this last lunch together that she decided to take the midnight train to Cornwall, and he phoned Pad-dington Station and booked her a sleeper. He then drove her to the hotel, where in the lounge they said au revoir.
'I shall be coming down in about a month,' he said. 'The keys to the cottage are with Mrs Lovibond, who looks after the place for me. She and her son, who's a fisherman, live just down the hillside so you won't feel too cut off from people. I've also been in touch with the manager of the Pencarne bank and there'll be ample money on deposit for you and Yseult. Now is there anything we've forgotten?'
'I don't think so. I meet the steamer from Brittany on Sunday morning and Yseult will then be put in my charge by the teacher who is bringing her home.'
'Aye, the teacher is taking leave on account of her sister's illness in a Devon nunnery. Sister Grace will be clad in the robe and wimple, so you'll have no trouble identifying her pupil.'
'I bet Yseult has your hair,' Ruan smiled.
He smiled in return. 'Aye, I plead guilty to branding the child with the foxfire, however she looks like her mother in all other respects, and it worries me - ah, but I'm sure this summer will work wonders. You'll see to it that she gets plenty of sea air and sunshine, and plenty of good Cornish cream.'
'I'll be her big sister in every way,' Ruan assured him. 'I'm used to boats, so have I your permission to take her-'
'No!' The word broke sharply from him. 'Not the two of you alone! Jem Lovibond will take you sailing in the Saucy Bride. The Cornish waters along that part of the coast are too wild and capricious for a girl to cope with. Always go out with Jem. I insist on that.'
'Of course.' She pressed his arm to reassure him, the parent of an only child, afraid of losing what he loved. 'I promise to do whatever you ask of me with regard to Yseult. What of the moors, Hugh? I've heard there are bogs.'
'Yseult will know them, but they're infrequent around Pencarne. It's up near St. Avrell that you have to beware of running into one, especially on a misty day.'
'We won't be going there - at least, no more than once if Yseult wants to visit the place.' Ruan spoke tensely, for she had no wish to run into Eduard Talgarth. But it was strange ... so very strange that he should have said that she would visit his part of the world, where the heather grew high enough to hide a girl. It was as if he had known - yet how could anyone have known, Talgarth least of all, that a bolt from the blue would end things for her and Tarquin, and she would run away to Cornwall to try and forget!
'It's an interesting place,' said Hugh, and then he held her by the shoulders and smiled down at her, a trifle sadly. 'I shall miss you, Ruan. Will you write to me?'
'Yes. You'll want to know how Yseult is faring.'
'I shall want to hear how things are with you, as well.' His eyes were serious. 'You must have guessed that I find you a rare sort of girl, with a very kind heart.'
'Thank you, Hugh.'
'Don't be polite!' He gave her a slight shake. 'I'm not so set in my ways that I can't feel the urge to kiss a girl, and you ask for it when you act all innocent, as if you're with your favourite uncle.'
'I don't want to lose your friendship,' she said gravely.
'You think a kiss would spoil it?'
'It might, Hugh. We're not surface people who can play at love as if it were a game, and you know how I feel about Tarquin. It wasn't just a case of girl meets handsome actor and becomes infatuated. It went deeper than that... these coming weeks in Cornwall will prove how deep.'
He looked into her wide eyes and nodded. 'Born wise, aren't you, Ruan, for all your youth? Yes, you must face the proving time. You must find out by yourself how much of your heart is irretrievably lost to Tarquin Powers.'
A few minutes later they said goodbye and Ruan went to her hotel room to pack the clothes she had bought for the coming weeks at Pencarne. A couple of pretty dresses, one of them the colour of a watermelon. Cotton shirts and crisp blue jeans for the beach. A bathing suit of sunny gold, and a short, swinging green skirt for moorland walking, with
green casuals to match. She had already a suede stormcoat with a lambswool collar in case of tricky weather, the moorland mists Hugh had mentioned.
Quite soon her suitcase was packed and ready, and there was nothing more to do except wait. She had no letters to write, no more telephone calls to make. She had phoned Ann Destry earlier that day and been told that Tarquin was making good progress. She had wanted to say: 'Give him my love,' but the words would have no meaning from the stranger she had become to him.
Ann knew she was off to Cornwall and had wished her luck. 'They say, my dear, that when you cross the Tamar you're in another world. Perhaps you will find Cornwall more your world than ours might have been.'
Ruan wandered to the window of her hotel room and saw that the roofs of the passing buses were wet with rain. It seemed as if it had been raining each time something momentous had happened to her.

In many ways doth the full heart reveal
The presence of the love it would conceal.
E. COLERIDGE

عرض البوم صور darla  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:16 PM   المشاركة رقم: 12
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: darla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عالي

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Part Two
CHAPTER SIX
FALCON'S TOR, a hooded frown of a rock dark against the sky over the wide expanse of the moors above Pencarne, a charming fishing village tucked beneath the craggy wing of the cliffs.
The cottage itself was as if enchanted, tucked away on its own ledge of rock, with a garden spilling down a rocky terrace. The rooms were furnished in a comfortable country style, and the kitchen was equipped with a gas cooker, food cupboards, a heater for the bath, and a small gas fridge.
Jem Lovibond had been as nice as his name and had carried all her groceries from the village stores, and being the only son of his mother had even helped to spread bed linen over the lavender bushes to dry in the wind off the sea. 'You'm a little lass yourself to have the care of doctor's young un,' he said to her, his smile broad and friendly. 'Miss Yseult be coming tomorrer and a bit of a tease she be, for all her frail looks. Now if there's anything else I can be doing for you, Miss Perry, you just let me know.'
'Thank you, Jem.' She smiled back at him. 'Is everyone hereabouts as kind as yourself?'
'We're neighbourly,' he said with gruff shyness. 'You'm not all that foreign, not with your looks and that first name of your'n. Tis Cornish as I am!'
He ambled away in tall seaboots, as rugged as the rocks themselves, with a big, kind, simple heart. Ruan took deep breaths of the Cornish air and felt certain she would like this place. Even from here she could hear the sea, and knew that at night it lapped in its rhythm those who slept in the cottages of Pencame.
The next hour or so passed busily, for she gave the cottage a thorough airing, made a batch of cakes and butter scones, and put flowers in all the rooms. By the time she was finished everything looked bright and welcoming, and smelled of cakes fresh from the oven.
She gazed around her with satisfaction, decided she had earned a cup of tea and one of her own cakes, and sat down to enjoy them in the sunlit kitchen.
She glanced at the clock and saw that it was five-thirty. In a while Ann and Buckley would be going to the hospital to visit Tarquin. They would talk of the theatre, and of his convalescence. They would discuss Ann's wedding, but there would be no mention of the part Ruan had played in the dramatic events of the past few weeks.
Everything blurred and she battled with her quick, lonely tears. She mustn't sit here thinking... she would go for a walk! She jumped to her feet, ran a comb through her hair, grabbed her suede jacket and walked out into the reddening sunlight of evening. A wind had risen from the beach below and it blew cool against her eyes, and revived her with its freshness.
She took the winding path that led down past the Lovibond cottage, its front garden a mass of flowers, growing and clinging together in the rocks and crannies, with fantastic seashells set here and there. Jem's mother was in the garden, cutting some mint from a window box. 'Takin' a walk to the beach?' she called out.
*Yes, it's such a fine evening.' Ruan stood on the path, her hair blowing in the wind. 'I do like your garden, Mrs. Lovibond. It's a picture.'
'You're kind to say so.' The woman shaded her eyes from the blaze of the westering sun. 'The tide will soon be turning, so you mind yourself, girl.'
'I can swim,' Ruan laughed.
'Aye, but are you used to our Cornish swells? They'd toss a dinky piece the likes of you like a cork on the water. You mind, now.'
'Of course,' Ruan said at once, and it was nice of people to be concerned over her. She waved and continued on her way down the cliff path to the shore, smiling to be called 'a dinky piece', and catching her breath at the long sweep of the sands, where the rocks were like sleeping sea-monsters, their snouts in the creaming water. She gazed for a long time, both thrilled and awed by this legendary sea-coast, with the high-flying spray that spoke of a temper to these waters that could be dangerous. Seagulls swooped near, mewing as they flew by, to land on the rocks with perfect grace. They alone shared the beach with Ruan, and she could well imagine how wild and desolate this coast had been in the bad old days when ships had been lured to the rocks by the lanterns of the Cornish wreckers, when the caves had been used for hiding kegs of smuggled brandy, and parcels of fine lace.
Bearing in mind that soon the tide would turn, she went only as far as some stranded rocks, warn smooth by the sea and the wind, and providing a perch so she could watch the spume and tumult of the rising tide, the cliffs rising in craggy tiers behind her, made tawny by the setting sun. It was bold and stirring scenery, and Ruan was held by it as if entranced. It was Byronic, with the sun dipping into the sea and being slowly extinguished in the water.
Everything was quiet, except for the seabirds calling and the waves splashing ever higher over the sea-held rocks. Ruan thought herself entirely alone, and then distinctly she heard a galloping sound along the beach, coming nearer every second, until a dark horse and its rider were outlined against the sunset and the racing waves. She sat very still on her rock, until some instinct, some forewarning, drove her to her feet... just as the horse came splashing close by, sending up spray and sand from its hooves.
Her sudden movement must have startled the animal, for he gave a sudden whinny and reared up on his hind legs, almost throwing his rider out of the saddle.
Who the devil's that?' As quick as he was strong the rider hauled on the bridle and controlled the horse, then he glanced round to see the cause of the trouble. His black hair blew in the wind, and the tossing mane of the horse was just as dark and wild. There was something primeval about the pair, as if they had appeared from one of the great caves, to take sole possession of the beach when the sun went down and the waves rode in from the sea.
Ruan stared at the man, the last of the light caught in the deep blue of his eyes. She would have known him anywhere ... here on this remote Cornish beach, with the waves beating at the rocks, he was in his element, unmistakable, a part of the timeless scene.
'So we meet again,' he said, raising his deep voice above the rising tempo of the tide. 'You came, after all, to see my part of the world. What brought you, Ruan Perry? Not any liking for me, I'm sure.'
He smiled as he spoke and cantered his horse towards her, reining in beside her slim, taut figure. He gazed down at her, a look of challenge in his eyes. 'Will you shake hands with me, so I'll know you're not some imp made out of seaweed and spells, put here to startle my horse so he'd maybe throw me to the rocks?'
'You always said strange things, Mr. Talgarth.' She tossed her hair, which was growing damp from the spray in the air. 'I must go back, and you had better ride on, if you don't want to get caught by the tide.'
'Where are you staying?' he demanded.
She didn't want to tell him, but knew he was obstinate enough to keep her here until the water was around her ankles. 'I'm staying here in Pencarne, as holiday companion to the young daughter of a - a friend of mine.'
He gestured towards the cliffs with his whip. 'At one of the cottages?'
'Yes,' she spoke reluctantly. 'Rock Haven Cottage.'
'Ah, that's interesting. And now you'd better run home to . your haven before I have to snatch you away on the back ' of Sable!'
She gave him a wide-eyed look, then ran in the direction of the cliff steps. His laughter followed her, mingling with the sound of the sea as it washed over the shingle to the sand. Halfway up the steps Ruan felt compelled to turn and gaze after the rider and his horse until they were swallowed up far along the sands. So it was in that direction that St. Avrell lay, and there would be no escape from further meetings with Eduard Talgarth.
Her heart beat fast, for what was it Charme had said? 'He wants someone to share his chateau - he might have proposed to you, if you hadn't shown so plainly that you thought him hateful.'
Suddenly she felt afraid. What if there was some truth in her stepsister's remark? What if he meant to pursue her, now he found her again in this remote part of the country? He had been a trader in deep waters, where men thought nothing of pirating pearls. He looked as if it would amuse him to pursue a girl against her will.
She ran on up the steps, as if already she heard his tread behind her. It was crazy to behave in this way, yet she didn't stop running until she reached the cottage and let herself in. She switched on the light and stood with her back against the closed door. She breathed unevenly, and her spray-damp hair clung in russet tendrils to her wind-flushed cheeks. In a while, her breath regained, she gave a scornful little laugh. As if Eduard Talgarth could gain some hold over her if she didn't wish it! This was not the mysterious East, or Victorian England. In this day and age a girl had no need to fear any man!
She was about to go through to the sitting-room when she noticed a covered dish on the kitchen table. She paused to lift the cover and a delicious aroma of cold pickled pilchards whetted her appetite. There was also an apple pasty and a little jug of cream, and a sunflower plucked from the Lovibond garden to let her know who had called and left her a Cornish supper.
'They're dears,' she whispered, and she sat down to enjoy the food, pushing to the back of her mind a dark face lit by a pair of dangerous blue eyes.
Strange that blue eyes could give that impression, as if a flame burned in them!
She went to bed about nine and read for a while by the light of a fat little brass lamp. Her room was charming, with a door connecting it to the bedroom in which Yseult had books and belongings left over from last year's holiday - boxes of shells and curl-edged photographs pinned to a cupboard door, sea-faded shorts, and an old brass bell picked up from the shore, washed there from a boat that had met disaster, perhaps, on a stormy night.
Ruan could hear the sea as she lay alone in the cottage, but she wasn't nervous. Tonight the sea was calm, lapping the shore in a constant rhythm that was like a long-drawn whisper. 'Sleep and dream. Sleep and dream.'
She put out the lamp and settled down drowsily. Tomorrow she would meet her young charge - a rather ancient taxi from the village was picking her up in the morning -and it would cross the moors and take the road to Port Perryn, where the steamer from Brittany would land her passengers, Ruan was eager to meet Yseult, curious to find out if she had her father's kind nature. Hugh Strathern was very kind once a girl grew used to his bluntness, and it gave Ruan a feeling of security to know she could turn to him if anything really frightened her, or worried her.
She closed her eyes in the darkness and listened to the sea ... and though she didn't want to remember that strange encounter on the beach, she found that each detail of it had imposed itself on her mind. She even seemed to smell again the salt tang of the turning tide and the glossy hide of a healthy, well-exercised horse. She saw the iron-dark head of the rider outlined against the fiery glow of the sunset; the strong, sun-weathered face was one she would like to forget... if she could.
His mouth was etched by deep lines, those of authority, and a rather bold laughter. He had never been a man to dream away the hours; he had been active all his life, and he had been amused by much that he had seen. His nose was dominant, his chin deeply clefted ... as if a devil lurked there. His voice held foreign intonations, a heritage of the Breton in him, intensified by years of travel in faraway places. He ran deep, did Eduard Talgarth, like one of those lonely pools on the moors. Like the sea at his door,
and in his blood.
He was born ruthless, or taught by life to be so, and she was resolved to keep out of his way as much as possible. She wasn't going to be pursued like a doe glimpsed in ft thicket, who might accord him the amusement of a chase. She bad no time for someone who thought of women in that way ... she had known the joy of being loved, and as far as she could see there was no tenderness of heart in the man who was so unlike Tarquin.
Tarquin... she murmured his name as she drifted off to sleep.

Ruan shaded her eyes from the sunlit water of the bay as the steamer tied up at the jetty. In a short time her passengers began to come ashore, where passports and papers were checked by men in dark blue uniforms. Luggage began to appear in stacks on the quay, where cars and taxis stood at the ready. '
There on the quay Ruan watched eagerly for a red-haired schoolgirl accompanied by a nun in a starched white wimple and grey gown. Minutes passed as more and more passengers flocked off the steamer, until as the crowd thinned Ruan caught sight of the tall, thin figure of a grey-clad nun. She half-raised her hand, catching sight of Yseult in the same instant that the girl caught sight of her. She was wearing a Panama hat; but Ruan felt sure she must be Yseult. The girl stared at her, wonderingly, then turned and spoke quickly to Sister Grace. They both looked again in Ruan's direction. The girl was now smiling, but there was a frown on the nun's face as she scanned Ruan from head to foot.
Ruan's dress was the colour of a watermelon, the light, short skirt fluttering in die breeze off the sea. Her russet hair was brushed smoothly back to reveal her slender neck. She was slim, standing there, as insubstantial as if she had drifted out of the heather standing high on the cliffs above the harbour.
As soon as Sister Grace came ashore, and the two pass-in ports were checked, she came beaming down on Ruan, a well strapped leather hat-box in one hand, and her charge firmly held in the other one. Her crisp white wimple seemed to add to her height and her dignity, and to reduce Ruan to almost another schoolgirl.
'You are Miss Perry?' she demanded. 'Who is to be chaperone to the young Yseult?'
'Yes, Sister.' Ruan was on the defensive at once. 'I assure you her father, Mr. Strathern, has complete confidence in me.'
'You're very young, not much older than Yseult herself. How will you cope? The two of you alone in a cottage on the moors?'
'The cottage is not on the moors, Sister.' Ruan smiled, but it was not returned. 'Quite close by is the cottage of a fisherman and his mother, two kind people who work for Mr. Strathern.'
'This woman does the cooking?'
'Why, no, I can cook myself.' Ruan was beginning to feel harassed. 'I'm perfectly capable, Sister. Yseult's father would not have given me the job of looking after her if I •were irresponsible.'
'Men are not always good judges of the female character,' said Sister Grace explicitly. 'They are too often carried away by a charming face.'
'I'm hardly a vamp-' Ruan didn't know whether to feel amused or annoyed. Yseult was looking at her with sparkling green eyes; she thought this a game, but Ruan knew that the earnest. Breton teacher was very reluctant to hand over her pupil to someone so youthful. She could have realized, and dressed her person and her hair with more sedateness. But she had thought only to please Yseult, who had written so eagerly to Hugh about the summer holidays.
'You will forgive me if I am concerned.' Sister Grace shot a fond glance at her pupil. 'Yseult has not been very well, and we at the convent school worry about her. I realize that Monsieur Strathern must be a busy man, but all the same-'
'Mr. Strathern must have written to the school, Sister, to let you know that someone a little younger would be taking care of his daughter? You must allow that a man in his position would be unlikely to choose a companion for Yseult whom he could not trust.' Ruan's smile became coaxing. 'I'm a working girl, Sister Grace, and quite soon I shall be twenty. You mustn't hold my look of youth against me.'
"You feel I am being officious?' For the first time Sister Grace smiled. 'Perhaps I take my duties too seriously and expect it of every person I meet. As you say, Monsieur Strathern is an important man and perhaps more used to judging character than other men. Perhaps you are a nurse, Miss Perry?'
'No, my work is concerned with antiques.'
'Though you look so young.' Sister Grace laughed at her own joke and then became serious again. She turned to Yseult and fussed with her Panama hat. 'You will be a good child, eh? You will keep your hat on in the sunshine and not overtire yourself in the turbulent waters of this Cornwall you are so in love with. Now you will promise me-?'
'Dear Sister Grace, don't be stuffy!' Yseult smiled and her rather pale face took on a puckish charm. 'Ruan looks terribly nice to me, and fun, and I just love that father of mine for giving her to me for the holidays.'
'Then it is settled - child, where is your suitcase?'
'Back there among that lot.' Yseult pointed along the quay, to where the luggage had been piled up.
'Then fetch it this instance! You have all your things in it, with the lace.'
'Lace!' Yseult pulled a face as she went off to find her suitcase.
'A dear child, but a trifle obstinate,' said Sister Grace. 'You will be firm with her, Miss Perry? It isn't good for the young to have all their own way, especially these days, when parents seem to be losing all their authority. Yseult is not one of the strongest, you understand, and she so likes to go into the water. You must watch her^ She is subject to bad chest colds.'
'I promised her father that I'd take the very best care of her. He loves her so much, and wants her to have a lovely holiday.' Ruan watched as Yseult returned carrying her suitcase. She had long coltish legs, and it was probably the school uniform that made her look younger than her sixteen years. Her eyes were her father's, and a red-gold plait was escaping from under that ridiculous hat. Ruan decided to buy her a raffish sunhat as soon as Sister Grace departed. The good Sister meant well, but she seemed to lack a sense of fun and humour, to which the young responded with all their instincts.
The three of them made their way off the quayside, and the Sister asked if they were returning right away to the cottage at Pencarne.
'No, I thought we'd have lunch at some quaint place, and have a look round Port Perryn before going home.' Ruan smiled as she spoke, but her tone was firm. She would take good care of Yseult, but she wasn't going to cosset her in cotton wool. Hugh had ordered plenty of fresh air and Cornish cream, and Ruan was going to see that her charge enjoyed plenty of both.
'Will you join us for lunch, Sister?' she asked politely.
Sister Grace replied with regret that she couldn't. She was anxious to get to her sister's bedside. She looked around for a taxi, and it was a relief when the vehicle rolled away with the good woman inside, still holding on firmly to the leather hatbox that contained her clothing, her books and no doubt a few Breton jams and pies for her sister, who was recovering from an operation.
'She's a good soul, but-' Yseult shot an old-fashioned smile at Ruan - 'why are very good people so very earnest?'
'They see only their duty and are a little afraid of having fun, but without them our world would be terribly wicked.' Ruan took Yseult's suitcase and carried it. 'We'll go and eat at a place I noticed called the Camelot.'
'I rather like wicked people,' Yseult grinned, and removed her hat. Her hair was colourful as old Irish gold, and at once her face took on a piquancy the Panama hat had concealed. 'Nice-wicked, if you know what I mean? Bold but not sold to the devil. There are people like that. Sir Lancelot was one of them ... all this part of the country is teeming with legends about King Arthur and his Knights!'
'I take it Sir Lancelot is your favourite?' Ruan smiled.
'You bet! He was so brave and daring, and it's sad that he couldn't enter the Company of the Grail because he loved the queen. He's more human than Galahad, who's a bit of a prig.' Yseult's green eyes were gemlike as they met Ruan's, and she swung her school hat by its ribbon as they walked along. 'How did you meet my father? It was a thrill when he wrote to say that he'd found someone young and rather lovely-to be my summer companion. You are rather lovely, aren't you? Is Pops taken with you? That would be something"! Men get set in their ways without a woman around to keep the atmosphere alive.'
'Really!' Ruan couldn't help laughing. 'Your father operated on a - a friend of mine and saved his life. That's how we met. I needed a job and he suggested that I chaperone you for the summer.'
'Maybe he thought we could chaperone each other,' Yseult suggested, a gleam of devilment in her eyes. 'Pops is awfully nice, isn't he? The rugged sort. I like men who look as if they could take charge of the world - men with authority. I mean to marry one, that is if I can find one who won't mind that I have red hair.'
'It's red-gold, Yseult, and very unusual.'
'The girls at school say I'm ginger. They call me Ginger-bush.'
'I shouldn't mind that, Yseult. The ginger-bush smells heavenly, and your man of authority will want a girl with spirit.'
'You're nice, Ruan. You talk to me as if I were grown up.'
'You're on the way, aren't you ?'
'Urn, but sixteen is such an awkward sort of age, the end of being a tame schoolgirl who can't do her sums right, and the beginning of being curious about everything. I used to read the tales of the Round Table as if they were fables, now I realize that they're love stories.'
"Doesn't it make life more exciting?' Ruan smiled.
Yseult nodded, and then gave a chuckle of delight. 'This is going to be a super holiday. Cousin Val used to make me feel a complete kid. I couldn't paddle without my rubber shoes on, and she had a fit if I went off with Jem in the boat.'
'Well do our best to make it a holiday to remember,' Ruan promised. 'This is my first visit to Cornwall and I'm very impressed by the great cliffs and the wonderful stretches of beach. It's almost a world apart.'
'"Into Bodmin and out of the world,"' quoted Yseult. 'The Cornish people are a race apart, and some of them look as dark and foreign as Latin men. It's an exciting place, Ruan. Anything could happen.'
'I'm sure of it.' Ruan looked about her with pleasure, in Port Perryn, with its maze of cobbled streets, stout little houses of moorland stone, and long harbour wall draped with fishing nets. The music of the place was the mewing of the gulls, and the singing of a fisherman as he caulked his boat. The air was tangy from the wide Atlantic that surged beyond the tideline, a lion of a sea dabbing at the shingle with paws of velvet this morning.
It delighted Yseult to be lunching at the Camelot, with the figure of a mounted knight above the mullioned windows. And she couldn't get over it when Ruan said she could have a shandy while they waited for their lunch. "You are a sport - um, I think I'll have lobster, though shellfish is inclined to make me feel itchy.'
'Have the celery soup, and then the lamb cutlets with sprouts and potatoes,' Ruan suggested.
'Are you having that?'
"Yes, it sounds nice, and you don't want to feel itchy all the afternoon.'
"No - all right, I'll have the same as you.'
Ruan ordered their meal and felt pleased. The girl was very thin, and she had promised Hugh a more robust daughter by the end of the summer.
It was over lunch that Yseult asked the inevitable question. 'Where do you come from? Did you meet my father in London?'
Ruan shook her head, and then taking a deep breath she talked of Avendon and tried not to think of the man who had made it a heavenly place, until he had looked at her with a stranger's eyes and she had fled from every reminder of him. The river and the swans, the lightning-struck theatre, and the bridge by the watermill. Only this far away from him could she talk of those places.
'Are you fond of the theatre?' asked Yseult^ innocently unaware of the stab to Ruan's heart.
'Yes, I've always enjoyed playgoing. Now what shall we have for dessert? You choose, Yseult.'
'Mmm, we'll have something I bet you've never tasted before - thunder and lightning!'
Ruan stared at Yseult and for a moment her eyes were filled with the pain and shock of seeing the Mask Theatre after it had been struck from the skies.
'It isn't that bad,' laughed Yseult. 'Cornish splits with treacle and cream are heavenly - the people hereabouts call them thunder and lightning.'
'Oh, I see,' Ruan forced a smile to her lips, though a shadow lingered in her eyes. 'Yes, I must try everything Cornish.'
The splits were delectable, and in a while Yseult's chatter eased the awakened throb of pain and loss. By the time they left the inn and wandered down a cobbled lane to where tiny, quaint shops were situated, Ruan was feeling less acutely her longing to see Tarquin; to hear him speak her name, to feel him holding her hand.
They came to a shop with beach things displayed, sand shoes and raffia hats among them. 'You must have a sun-hat,' Ruan said. 'How about the raffish one with the green band to match your eyes ?'
'I'm game, if you'll have one as well, Ruan.'
They emerged laughing from the shop, each dad in a high-crowned straw hat. They were bound for the seashore, having left Yseult's suitcase at the inn to be collected when it was time to go home to the cottage. 'I'm glad Sister Grace can't see me, minus my Panama and my blue blazer.' Yseult caught at Ruan's hand and they went running down the slope to the seashore. A man seated on the keel of an upturned boat turned a lazy dark head to watch them, the smoke of a cheroot drifting past the glint of his blue eyes.
As the two girls reached the sand, Yseult suddenly stood stock still and stared at the man on the boat. 'That's a friend of Pops',' she exclaimed. 'I wonder what he's doing in Port Perryn?'
Ruan wondered as well as she recognized that still, strong figure, like a figurehead outlined by the sea and the sunlight.
'He used to sail all over the seven seas,' Yseult whispered excitedly. 'But now he's given it up to settle down with his first love.'
'She must love him to have waited while he sailed all over the place,' said Ruan, slightly puzzled when she remembered the things Charme had said about him.
'I'm not taking about a girl,' Yseult laughed, a young and musical sound that must have carried to the man who sat alone, smoking. 'If he had ever loved a Cornish girl he would have taken her to sea with him - he's that sort, Ruan.'
'Then what are you talking about?' Ruan was intrigued against her will.
'He was to have been a sculptor, and then his father died bankrupt - he was such a gambler that he was a legend in Cornwall - and Eduard Talgarth had to go away to sea to restore the family fortunes. He succeeded! And he bought back the family home, and even some of the scattered treasures, such as old portraits and furniture made from the timber of Armada ships. He's a terribly determined man, and exciting in a way.'
*Exciting?' Ruan murmured, and she was looking at him as he rose to his feet and began to approach Yseult and herself, his strides long and deliberate across the shingle. He wore well-tailored modern slacks and a white sports shirt, but still he gave the impression of another century, another time, with the smouldering quality of the Cornish added to it. The wind stirred his hair and his shirt sleeves, and his eyes glinted in the sunlight.
'They say there's a devil in him,' whispered Yseult. 'There always is, in the Talgarths.'
'It's young Yseult! I met you last year when you came to St. Avrell with your father.' He held out a hand to Yseult, who was blushing madly as she shook hands with him. His smile was a teasing twist of his lip, as if he knew full well that the two girls had been discussing him.
'Hullo, Mr. Talgarth-'
'Didn't we decide that it would be Eduard?'
'Yes, but I thought you might have forgotten.'
'I never forget the people I want to remember.' He turned a deliberate eye on Ruan, who stood there slim and tense in her soft dress blown by the wind, acutely conscious of the gaze of his vivid blue eyes.
'This is my companion,' said Yseult eagerly. 'Ruan Perry.' '
'Miss Perry and I have met already. What, didn't she tell you?' He laughed and looked at Ruan with a mocking light in- his eyes. 'By a strange twist of fate we meet again, and I'm curious to know why she came to Cornwall of all places.'
'Because my father asked her to,' Yseult was looking from one to the other with inquisitive green eyes. 'Ruan had a friend who was very ill, and Pops did the operation. She was so grateful to him that she agreed to look after his erring daughter for the summer.'
'How generous of you, Miss Perry, and how nice for Yseult to have you to herself for the summer.' His eyes looked right into Ruan's and their blue was like a wicked flame dancing around the dark pupils, amid the black lashes. 'Would this friend of yours be known to me? Someone I might have met during my stay at Avendon?'
'I - I believe you met him at my stepsister's masque. I know you saw him when he played in Shakespeare at the Mask Theatre.'
'Ah, the handsome actor!'
*Yes.' Her heart was beating rapidly, and she felt that uprush of antagonism, that longing to hurt this man who seemed to laugh at her, as if she were the most innocent of all the women he had met during his voyages.
'So he fell ill? Dangerously?'
'He was badly hurt when lightning struck the theatre. Mr. Strathern's great skill saved his life.'
'And you came to Cornwall.'
'As you can see, Mr. Talgarth.' Her chin was tilted, and she braved the searching look she was given by this man who had known of her friendship with Tarquin... who had said that stardust in her eyes would be bound to hurt. It was disturbing to think that Eduard Talgarth could read her eyes and know that she had run away because Tarquin no longer loved her.
'Ruan, you are a dark horse,' Yseult broke in. 'You never let on that you knew Mr. Talgarth!'
'It was a passing acquaintance,' he drawled. 'Perhaps Miss Perry had no wish to renew it. All the same, it's nice to see you two girls just as I was feeling a mite lonesome.'
'You looked it.' Yseult smiled at him. "What are you doing here in Port Perryn today of all days, when I arrive home for my holiday? Did Pops write and tell you?'
'No.' His smile was teasing. 'I haven't been in touch with your father.'
'Then you're a sorcerer! They always have blue eyes.'
'And long white beards,' he drawled.
Yseult laughed. 'Everyone says your grandmother had second sight and could foretell the future. She predicted that the chateau would go out of your family for many years.'
'Only because she knew her son and his fondness for the cards.' He quirked a black eyebrow and shot his blue glance at Ruan. 'Have you told Miss Perry about the Talgarth devil, which can only be exorcized from each male member ' of the clan by the love of a true-hearted girl?'
'It's an intriguing story,' Ruan murmured, and her eyes dwelt briefly on his clefted chin. 'But do you believe it, Mr. Talgarth?'
'Having travelled widely and seen quite a few strange things, I'm willing to wonder if it might be wise of the last of the Talgarths to get himself a bride.' He smiled in his bold way. 'A loving bride, that is.'
'I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding one,' said Yseult, her eyes on his broad shoulders and his skin as tanned as oak against his spotless white shirt. 'I wish I'd known you when you were nineteen, when you won the wrestling cup for beating the champion of Penzance.'
'Do you, my gilly?' He looked indulgent. 'Let me see, I could have pushed you out in your baby carriage, but don't know what that would have done to my wrestling reputation.'
'Don't be a tease,' Yseult pleaded. 'I should like to have been about sixteen.'
'I was just setting sail for the Far East, gilly. We'd have waved good-bye for a long, long time.'
'Wouldn't you have taken me with you, if I'd been your girl?'
'I wasn't master of my own ship in those days, Yseult.'
'Do you miss the sea? Is that why you come to Port Perryn to look at the boats ?'
'Yes, clinging to memories as if tomorrow can never be as good as the days we've already lived through, with their happy hours, and their sad ones.'
Ruan looked at him as he spoke, so tall and dark with the blue horizon behind him and the blue sea in his eyes. So keen-sighted, so aware, making her feel defenceless as he met her look and asked her without words that" they please young Yseult by being friends.
'I must get you two to make up.' Yseult turned to Ruan and there in her green eyes was that look of the young that pleads for love and laughter and no more bitter words. 'Be a good sport, Ruan. We won't get invited to the chateau if you don't shake hands with Eduard and forget whatever silly tiff you've had. The chateau's so strange and marvellous, here in Cornwall.'
'Is it?' Ruan murmured, and on impulse she held out her hand to Eduard Talgarth and braced herself for the touch of those lean fingers that could take stone, silver, or iron, and shape it to his will.
His fingers took hold of hers and it was a tiny shock, the curious gentleness of his touch, as if her hand were a bird. His eyes dwelt on her blue scarab ring. 'That looks like the real thing,' he said. 'Is it inscribed? They sometimes are, in tiny script under the jewelled wings.'
'There are some words,' she admitted, the warmth of his fingers still about hers, 'but I can't make them out.'
'May I try?'
She hesitated, and then catching Yseult's eager look she drew off the ring and handed it to Eduard, who held it to the sun and studied it for several minutes.
'Yes, the script is in Arabic,' he said finally. 'I can't translate the words for you, but the ring is a talisman to guard you against misfortune.'
She looked at him quickly and wondered if he had guessed who had given her the ring. Its possession had not been lucky for her, though she treasured it for the memories it brought.
'May I try it on, Ruan?' Yseult coaxed. 'It's so unusual.'
'No.' Eduard shook his head and reached for Ruan's right hand. He replaced the ring on her middle finger. 'The scarab is like a marriage ring, it might lose its magic if someone else wears it. I have a ring at the chateau which I'll give you, my gilly, when you both come to dine there with me.'
'What sort of ring?' Yseult looked enchanted by the idea of receiving such a gift from him.
'A princess ring, as worn by the lovely Thai dancers when they perform their ritual dances in the temple courtyards.'
'I shall love it.' Yseult hugged Ruan around the waist, as if too smitten by sudden shyness to hug the man who looked at her with lazily amused eyes... blue as Ruan's scarab.
'Have you travelled all over the world?' she asked eagerly. 'Even as far ay the Himalayas?'
'Yes, I've visited the mystic temples which perch among the hills of Katmandu, where the bells ring as if made of silver ice. I've seen golden domes burning in the sun, have lived in a teahouse on a bamboo bridge, slept on a couch of Sumatran tiger pelts, and enjoyed the friendship of an old prince of Manchuria.' He smiled and his nostrils tensed as he breathed the tangy Cornish air, whipped to the shore by the wind. 'Now I've come home to St. Avrell - the last of the Talgarths.'
'You are lucky to be a man and able to do just what you like,' said Yseult.
'Not entirely what I like.' He smiled quizzically. 'Now what are your plans for the afternoon? A laze in the sun, then a cream tea, and home to Rock Haven?'
'You are a wizard!' laughed Yseult. 'You must have learned on your travels how to read minds.'
'Perhaps.' His eyes met Ruan's. 'Shall I read yours?'
She smiled a little. 'I'll read yours, Mr. Talgarth. You're at a loose end and wouldn't mind spending the afternoon with us. I'm sure Yseult will be delighted.'
'Can't I delight you ?' he drawled.
'Being a mind-reader you should know the answer to that,' she said tartly. She turned away from him, biting the smile on her lips. Did he imagine she wanted his company as much as Yseult wanted it?
They lay on the sun-warmed sand, near where the water rippled over the pebbles, and the drowsy deeps of Eduard's voice came in waves to Ruan. She had tilted her straw hat over her eyes and left him to amuse Yseult with his stories, for like all travellers he seemed to have a store of them, and he possessed also a charm for the younger girl that put Ruan on the defensive. Because he had known about Tarquin he made her remember the things she had run away to forget

عرض البوم صور darla  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:17 PM   المشاركة رقم: 13
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER SEVEN
HE knew of a tea-garden where they had delicious clotted cream and chunks of fresh fruit, and it was when they sat replete, enjoying a cool breeze through the acacia trees, that Eduard suggested he drive them home to the cottage.
'I have the jingle with me, if you girls would like to drive back across the moors in the old style?' He held Ruan's gaze with his blue one. 'I'm all for the things of yesterday, with their aura of romance.'
'I've seen you driving the most up-to-date sports car,' she rejoined, though her interest had quickened at his mention of a jingle, one of those spanking, pony-drawn carts which had been so popular in days gone by.
'You've been in my car, haven't you, Miss Perry?' And in a flash there was between them the memory of an evening when she had walked beside the river, across which the theatre had been ablaze with lights. There had been stars in her eyes that evening, and this man had seen them ... and he had seen more, being the sorcerer that Yseult called him. Even then he had known that she would come to the moors, where the heather and the bracken grew high enough to hide a girl.
'A man has to live in today's world,' he said, 'but that doesn't stop him from enjoying the slow boat to the Indies, or a ride in a pony-drawn jingle across the tawny moors.'
'It sounds irresistible.' Yseult stirred out of the daydream in which she had fallen. 'We'd love to come with you!'
'Miss Perry?' He quirked an eyebrow. 'You know you'll enjoy it yourself, so why not give in ?'
His eyes challenged her as he sat there with the leaves overhead dappling his pirate-brown face, but for once she couldn't fight him. She was disarmed by the prospect of a drive across the moors. 'We must call at the Camelot to pick up Yseult's suitcase,' she said. He nodded, settled the bill and escorted them to the inn. Fifteen minutes later they were joggling along the homeward road to the tinkle of small bells on the pony's harness. He was a young grey, all dancing legs and mane, trotting briskly past the cob-walled cottages and the village stream where long ago witches had been ducked for loving the devil.
Ruan felt the magic that pervaded the Cornish air as they wended their way past hedges of stone and windbent trees. Eduard's long whip sang in the air but never touched the pony. He pointed out the ruins of an old abbey on a hill, with a twisted black juniper outlined against the reddening sky. 'It looks haunted, eh?' He spoke quite seriously. 'It's said of the chateau that we have a ghost, a French ancestor of mine who stands on a turret to gaze out to sea, waiting for a ship that never came. Legend says he was waiting for his French sweetheart, but she was caught up in the rebellion and never heard of again.'
'What happened to him?' asked Yseult. 'Was his heart broken?'
'He married a Cornish girl,' Eduard smiled. 'They had a daughter who grew up to become the bride of a Talgarth. That is how the chateau came to us.'
'It's a fabulous place!' Yseult's eyes were shining. 'Ruan, it looks as if it belonged in a tale of knights, and damsels in distress.'
'You and your knights!' smiled Ruan.
'All young things have a dream of Tristan, or Hamlet.' A blue glance seemed to pin Ruan. 'They outgrow it -usually.'
She knew at once what he implied, that her love for Tarquin was based on a dream of someone gallant and handsome, who was destined to remain a dream. "You're wrong, he loved me!' She wanted to fling the words in that dark Cornish face. 'It was love as you could never feel it, you with your sea trader's arrogance, who thinks there is nothing that can't be bought if the right bargain is struck!'
He looked at her as if reading her thoughts, and then with a laugh he stopped the jingle on a high curve of the road. 'Look,' he murmured, and they watched a firetail winging its way across the moors, flying towards a stone monolith that stood dark and sinister there in the gorse and the bracken that curled about it like golden smoke in the dusk light spreading over the moorland.
'They call it the Devil's Harp,' said Eduard. 'Want to go and hear the wind making music?'
They climbed from the jingle and walked through the waist-high gorse to the monolith, and it was true! The wind around the structure, which took the rough shape of a harp, seemed to produce a weird sound of music, as if an invisible hand played over the dark stone.
'Ooh, I shouldn't care to come to this place on my own.' Yseult caught at Eduard's arm. 'I love these moors in the daylight, but when it begins to get dark they seem to change, to become menacing.'
'The fall of night brings out the primeval in all things,' he said. 'A lover's face takes on a different look; a girl's eyes fill with mystery.'
There was a chime of Celtic music in his voice, and as the wind tugged at Ruan's hair, making the roots tingle, she was aware of being deeply disturbed by the moors and by the man. From among the gorse came the cry of a nightjar, and the afterglow was gold with touches of flame. Vivid scents tangled in the wind ... everything was 'moorish and wild, and knotty as a root of heath - hewn in a wild workshop.'
She caught Eduard Talgarth's gaze upon her, and the afterglow seemed to play in his eyes.
'It's dramatic, isn't it?' he said. 'Like a scene set for a play.'
'Must you?' she whispered.
He quirked an eyebrow and glanced at Yseult, who had gone to pet the pony and was out of earshot if they spoke in low voices. 'Tell me something - did Tarquin Powers tell you before or after he made you love him that he had a wife already?'
'How - how did you know he was married?'
'I made it my business to find out.'
'It was never your business!'
'You say that very emphatically.'
'You came to Avendon as a friend of Charme's.'
'Meaning it was not Charme in whom Powers was taking an interest? I suppose if she had been, then my interest would have been valid?'
'I should have thought so. It was she who drew you to Avendon, and few men who came to the villa ever looked at me, with Charme there.'
'Tarquin Powers looked at you.'
'That was different. We met at the theatre, and though I know now that something about me must have reminded him of his wife, there was a certain magic about our meeting.' Her eyes met Eduard's; in the dusk light his face seemed hard. He was all hardness and angles, like the menhirs that stood on the moors. How could he understand how the heart could be touched by a certain look in a pair of eyes; a look that opened the heart because it was somehow lonely. Eduard Talgarth was too self-sufficient to ever need someone as Tarquin had needed her ... if only for a while.
'It was a romantic meeting,' she said quietly.
'Meaning I haven't any romance in me, only a soul of commerce?'
'Am I wrong, Mr. Talgarth?'
'Not entirely. I was never a man to believe in a one and only love, the search for the Grail. There isn't much time for dreaming in the life of a man who trades from port to port, and builds up his own line of ships. The life is too tough, too full of bargaining, as you so rightly guessed. But there is one thing I would never do, rough diamond though I am - I would never make a woman love me knowing I couldn't give her my name ... ah, is that why you ran away, Ruan, because he asked you to be his mistress?'
'I - I loved him. It wouldn't have made me ashamed-'
'Is that why you ran away?' Eduard persisted.
'No - he forgot me after the operation. He didn't know me. He had no recollection of the times we had spent together. Mr. Talgarth, this is rather painful - anyway, why should you be interested?'
'Because you're young, and haven't that shell of self-concern that makes some people safe all their lives. You're like Yseult.'
"Well,' she had to smile, 'it's nice to know that Yseult and myself have your protection - a sort of uncle.'
She heard him catch his breath and knew in an instant that she was in danger from this man who was as much like an uncle as tiger is to tabby cat. With a laugh she ran from him through the gorse to where the jingle stood. Yseult had climbed into the back and fallen asleep, and Ruan held the young, thin figure against her as they jogged home in the dark.
Eduard stopped the jingle at the top of the cliffs, near the path that led down to the cottage. He carried the sleeping Yseult, while Ruan went ahead with the suitcase. She unlocked the front door and switched on the light, and as she turned to Eduard he was framed big and dark in the doorway, a lance of black hair across his forehead, Yseult's red-gold hair spread against his broad shoulder. He looked like a corsair, carrying in his arms his right of plunder. His smile teased Ruan, as if he read her opinion of him in her wide violet eyes.
Yseult stirred as he laid her down on the sofa in the living-room. 'You're home, my gilly,' he said to her.
'Oh, is it all over, our lovely day?'
'There will be others, Yseult, I can promise you.'
She smiled up at him. 'When can we come to the chateau?'
'I'll send word by Medevil. D'you remember him? He's my handyman who used to be a sailor until I left the sea and he came to work for me at the chateau.'
'He told me you saved his life, that he lost part of his left leg to a shark and would have lost the other one if you hadn't dived into the sea with a knife between your teeth,'
Eduard laughed, a bold sound in that cottage room with chintz at the windows. 'Medevil would have managed, somehow. He comes from an island where the people are said to have seven lives. Anyway, he was after pearls when that sea tiger attacked him.'
'The guardian of the pearls,' smiled Yseult.
'Yes, he could well have been that.' Eduard returned her smile and straightened to his great height, so that his dark head seemed about to touch the ceiling beams. 'Goodbye for now, Yseult. Medevil will come with a message when I return from a visit to London. I have to see the captain of one of my cargo ships.'
'Will you see Pops while you're in London?'
'I'm sure of it. I owe him lunch at the Square Rigger.'
'Then you can tell him that I like Ruan very much, and that there's nothing at all for him to worry about.'
Eduard glanced at Ruan. 'You two girls will be okay until I return?'
'Mr. Talgarth, we don't need a tiger couchant at our door. We'll manage perfectly. Tell Hugh so.'
'Hugh?'
'Mr. Strathern,' she said demurely, then gave a gasp as he caught her by the wrist and made her walk with him to the front door. She had but a single thought, that he was going to kiss her! If he did ... well, what would she do? Short of yelling for Jem Lovibond, the only male within reach who measured up physically to this man, who had spent years at sea and who lived by his own rules.
'I can feel you shaking,' he accused. 'What the devil are you thinking - that I want to kiss you in the dark?"
'You're a brute!' she gasped. 'You do your best to embarrass me.'
'You shouldn't show so plainly, young woman, that you don't like me. It acts as a challenge. I keep getting the urge to reverse your opinion of me.' He caught at her chin and tipped up her face so she had to look at him. 'What is it about me you dislike so much - my lack of sweet talk, my craggy face, or the fact that I warned you that Tarquin Powers could be heartache for an innocent like you?'
'It must be very satisfying to be always right,' she retorted.
'Meaning you dislike me for all three reasons? Well, it can't be helped. I never had honey on my tongue, or a handsome face, and you can't keep a kitten away from the fire when it's been a long winter. D'you think I didn't guess from the moment I walked into the St. Cyr household that you were treated as a charity child. I came a little too late-'
'What do you mean?' The words broke from her.
'You might have liked me better, Ruan Perry, if I could have been the first man to show you a bit of kindness.'
'Does it matter whether I like you or not?'
'We're going to see a lot of each other during the coming weeks, and that's why I brought you out here. Things are easier said in the dark, and I've this to say. I need friends as much as you - having been away a long time from St. Avrell and having become a stranger to the folk I used to know. Come, Ruan! I don't often ask someone to like me - a little.'
She gazed up at him and his face was just discernible in the porch light that was dim and needed a new bulb in the small lantern hung on a chain. The sighing of the sea could be heard, and it mingled with Ruan's sigh. 'People are so complicated,' she said.
'You mean it isn't easy to like me ?' 'You - you must give me time.'
'Did Hugh Strathern have to ask for any?'
'Hugh was there when I needed a friend, and he was kind.' She smiled, for how could she take seriously a cry of loneliness from Eduard Talgarth? That imperious, mouth, the deep cleft in his chin, the strong brows bridging the sea-blue eyes, these were the features of a man who held as firmly to his destiny as he had ever held a ship on its course.
He was the last of the Talgarths. He had spent fifteen years of his life earning the money to buy back the family home, and now he must find a girl to marry. There must again be Talgarth children at the chateau, and the line must not be broken as it had been in his father's time. Ruan studied him in the dim light and felt apprehensive of his motive in seeking out a girl like herself. A lonely girl, who had found love and lost it. Who had no family except the St. Cyrs.
She tensed ... a tremor ran all the way down her spine as his hand touched her hair.
'I'll say good night and leave you in peace,' he said. 'It's what you want more than anything else, eh?'
'I'm tired,' she said, shaken. 'It's been a long day.'
'It should be a relief, Ruan, to know I'll be in London for a week.' He laughed and let her go. 'I'll give your regards to Strathern, and maybe I'll bring you a present from my ship, which has just put in from the East with bales of real silk in the hold.'
'I'd find no use for it, Mr. Talgarth, here in Cornwall.'
'Not even for cushion covers?' he drawled. 'I'll be seeing you, Miss Perry. Au revoir.'
He walked away into the night and she heard him mounting the cliff path with long strides. She didn't move until there came the jingle of bells on the pony harness and the clip-clop of hooves, fading away along the road to St. Avrell. The sea murmured far down on the beach and the atmosphere was serene again.
Yseult's voice floated out to her. 'I'm making hot chocolate, Ruan. Do come and drink it before it gets cold.'
Ruan smiled to herself, for hot chocolate and the chatter of her young charge were so normal after her conversation with Eduard Talgarth. Beneath the things they had said to each other there ran undercurrents, a sense of being whirled into a danger she must fight against. He asked for her friendship, offered a gift of silk, yet she couldn't feel at ease with him. His very look made her want to run away from him ... his touch was unbearable because it wasn't Tarquin's. Suddenly she closed the cottage door against the darkness and hastened to join Yseult in the living-room.
'What were you two talking about all that time?' she asked. 'And why didn't you tell me you'd met Eduard already? Why so secretive?
'I didn't think it was important.' Ruan sipped her chocolate. 'We'll go swimming tomorrow, shall we, and have a picnic on the beach?'
'Mmm, super!' Yseult's eyes were a dreamy green over the rim of her cup. 'Do you think Eduard would wait three years for me to grow up ? I do think he's lonely, and I'd love to be the mistress of a chateau. It would be the most romantic thing, to be the bride of the last of the Talgarths.'
'I shouldn't think your father would approve of his fledgling in the keeping of a man double her age,' Ruan said dryly.
'But age isn't important when two people care for each other. Older men are kinder, and more worldly, and they can teach a girl all about life.' Yseult licked chocolate from her lip. 'I bet if I tried I could make Eduard wait for me.'
'You'll do nothing of the sort!' Ruan looked shocked. 'I can't allow you to flirt with Eduard Talgarth. Your father would never forgive me.'
'Are you attracted to Pops?'
'I like him very much.'
'Liking someone isn't the same as being attracted.'
'I don't know where you get all this nonsense from, but it's got to stop.' Ruan spoke firmly. 'Everything is shipshape in your room, and it's time you were in bed.'
'Spoilsport,' said Yseult, and then she looked contrite. 'Does it hurt to talk about romantic things because you can't forget that man you were in love with?'
'I - I won't discuss the subject, Yseult! It's over - I've got to forget about him.'
'Was he terribly handsome?'
'Yes.' Ruan drew Yseult to her feet. 'And now off up the wooden hill to the land of nod, young lady. I'll wash the cups and be up myself in a jiffy.'
'Ruan-'
'What now, Miss Curious?"
'I'm glad Pops asked you to spend the summer with me. It's an awful bind to be treated like a kid, but you and Eduard treat me as if I'm almost grown up. Don't you find him interesting? He's been to so many far places, and there's something about him that makes him exciting. What do you think it is?'
'A dash of the pirate,' said Ruan explicitly. 'He's a man who takes little heed of the rules and conventions other people live by.'
'How did you come to meet him?'
'He came to Avendon to court my stepsister. Charme is very stunning, but too level-headed to be swept off her feet by a bold Cornishman who likes his own way. She chose to become engaged to someone else, but I'm sure Mr. Talgarth's heart wasn't broken, or even a little cracked.'
"You are hard on him,' Yseult protested.
'Oh, I'm sure he can take it,' Ruan smiled. 'It may be salutary for him to meet a female who isn't bowled over by his piratical charm.'
'There, you've admitted he has charm!'
'What man hasn't, when he cares to turn it on? And now to bed, young lady. Your eyes are too big for your face.'
'It's because you're opening them up to drama and mystery, Ruan.' With the sudden affection of the young Yseult put her arms around her youthful chaperone and gave her a warm hug. 'I do like you. You're so different from my teachers, and from Cousin Val. You're like one of those lovelorn damsels who has to be rescued by a knight in armour.'
'From what must I be rescued?' Ruan laughed.
'From being in love with the wrong man.'
Ruan held her breath and then released it. Pain shook her heart. How could the child know that while love had lasted between herself and Tarquin it had been lyrical -
like a song with all the shades and tones just right. But their love had been star-crossed, and something from the sky itself had torn them apart. They had loved one another at the wrong time. They had met too late for their song to last.

Each new day in the week that followed was born with birdsong, the tang of the sea on the air, and its inviting glitter far down the cliffs on which the cottage was perched like the rather precarious nest of a pair of early birds. They would scramble out of bed at the first touch of the sun and be in the water before Mrs. Lovibond had cooked their breakfast.
A wonderful sea of blue dyed with green, with not a cloud in the sky until Saturday morning, when the sea was overcast and the spray was flying high, filling the cove with its clamour. 'Ooh,' Yseult ran out of the waves, 'they grab at you this morning!'
Ruan laughed and munched an apple pasty, sweet with brown sugar. 'Shall we go to Mawgan-in-Vale? We've spent most of the week on the beach and I want to see the tiny smuggling village at the foot of the vale.'
'Yes, let's.' Yseult skipped about on the beach, her hair in a Psyche knot, her face aglow with spray. 'It looks a bit like rain, but we can wear our macs.'
They raced up the cliff path to get ready for their outing. Ruan made ham and tomato sandwiches, filled a flask with coffee, added jam pasties to the pack, and they set off on their hike to Mawgan-in-Vale. The gorse and the bracken shimmered in the wind on the moors, and it took them a couple of hours to reach the village which long ago had been the hideaway of smugglers. Today it looked peaceful enough, with its small colour-washed houses built one below the other, dotting the valley like the dwellings of fairy folk. Narrow crooked streets led downwards, the walls of the houses hung with creepers and fuchsias. Little doors were set aslant in the houses, and cats drowsed on the windowsills among pots of herbs and boxes of pansies, with petals like the wings of moths.
Ruan was enchanted by the place. It was as if time had paused and left it curiously undisturbed. That rugged old Viking smoking a pipe in a doorway might have been a brandy pirate. That girl gaily singing as she hung out washing might have loved a black-haired seaman with bolts of lace hidden beneath the lobster pots in his painted boat.
'I'm glad now,' she thought. 'I'm glad I came to Cornwall.'
The day passed happily. They ate their lunch on a grassy bank, then they explored the village and bought postcards at the little thatched post-office. '
'I'm sending a couple to Brittany,' said Yseult. 'And one is for Pops. Who are you sending yours to?'
Ruan studied the coloured cards and thought of Ann Destry - but Ann might no longer be at Avendon. If Tarquin had left the hospital, then Ann and Buckley would have left with him. They had plans for a play in London. Tarquin had a villa just outside Rome...
'I've bought them as a keepsake,' she conjured a smile. 'Mawgan-in-Vale is such a pretty place. I shall want to remember our day here.'
It was around four o'clock when the clouds seemed to come a little lower, and the fuchsias on the rambling walls took on deeper shades. A bit of a mizzle was blowing by the time they climbed breathlessly to the moors. A weathered villager passed them, his dark eyes flashing from one young face to the other. 'Hurry you home,' he said. 'Them clouds are going to break over the moors before very long and it's soaked you'll be.'
His words were prophetic, but as luck would have it they had come in sight of the stout white curve of an old mill when the first big drops stung their cheeks.
'Race you!' cried Yseult, and they ran long-legged through the quickening rain, reaching a doorway that yawned darkly in the thick wall as the clouds burst and the rain pelted down. It flattened the heather and washed the granite rocks, and the wind howled weirdly as they stood in the shelter of the mill, deserted and ruinous, but a protection against the downpour.
'We'd have been soaked ... drowned,' gasped Yseult, shaking her wet hair away from her neck. 'It's like being under a waterfall... hear how it pounds on the roof of this old place!'
Ruan glanced about her and saw steps leading up to another room, where long ago flour was ground between millstones rotated by sails that had long since perished. Something rustled in a far corner and she tried not to think of bats, or the prowl of spiders. It was better here than getting soaked in that deluge... the moors and the skies seemed blended together by that sheet of rain. It thundered on the roof overhead, and nearby streams could be heard gushing as they filled up and overflowed.
It was awesome, as if the rain meant never to stop, and Ruan tensed herself against a storm such as the one that had hit Avendon. Yseult and herself were alone here, in a derelict mill. What if there was lightning ... she shuddered, and Yseult turned to look at her, with eyes wide and green in the dusky light.
'It's all right,' she soothed. 'Already the rain sounds as if it's easing off.'
And in a while, with a suddenness that brought silence to the moors, the rain ceased. Only the swollen streams gurgled, and the half-drowned gorse and herbage gave off scents that were like a benediction.
Ruan took a deep breath of the wonderful air and smiled at Yseult. 'We'd better make a move while we can,' she said, -and they stepped out bravely into the soaking heather and made off across the moors towards Pencarne. The rain had drained out of the sky, leaving it silvery and translucent and the drops of water on the bracken fronds seemed to glitter like gems. It was all rather lovely, but the two girls were wet to the knees by the time they came in sight of the cliffs where the cottage nestled, with its warm stove, a change of dress, and cups of hot sweet tea.
They hastened towards their small haven, and then were brought up short as they reached the path that led down to the cottage. There was a jagged gap and a wide sluice of mud draining downwards, with clumps of rock and earth mixed in with it. The two girls gasped in unison and stared at the wreck of the cottage, half-buried beneath a great chunk of the cliff side.
'Holy Moses!' Yseult whispered.
Ruan felt the blood leave her face. If Yseult and herself had arrived home before the deluge, then they would have been inside the cottage when the heavy rain had brought down on its roof what a few hours ago had looked like solid rock face.
'What a mess!' Yseult was about to go scrambling down the muddy path when Ruan caught at her arm and held her back. 'No, it's no use going down! Look, someone is there - he's coming up to us!'
They waited as the dark-haired figure climbed towards them, nimble of body and yet curiously awkward.
'It's Medevil!' Yseult exclaimed, and waved her arm excitedly as Eduard Talgarth's servant made his halting way up the dangerously wet and rock-strewn path. As he drew nearer his teak-coloured face was slashed by a wide grin.
'Mon maître say I come bring young ladies to tea - looks like young ladies come to stay at chateau all night, maybe longer. That little house a washout, miss.' He looked directly at Ruan. 'Not nice. Got to be cleared of debris from the landslide.'
'What of the people lower down the cliffs?' she asked anxiously. 'Are they all right?'
'Sure.' His white teeth gleamed in a reassuring smile edged by devilry. 'The fall of rock hit the one cottage, miss. I make sure you young ladies not in it, and now I take you to man maitre'
'But our things are in the cottage,' she said. 'Our clothes and personal belongings. We must have those.'
'Mr. Jem, he bring what he can for you, but right now you both a-shivering, and mon maître angry with Medevil if I don't bring you straight home to the chateau. Come now! The jingle awaiting for us.'
'Yes, let's go to the chateau.' Yseult caught at Ruan's arm and urged her away from the wreckage. 'Mr. Talgarth will see to everything when he learns what has happened to the cottage. He'll take charge.'
Ruan was in no doubt about that, but there was nothing else to be done and she turned away from the sorry sight of the cottage and walked with Yseult and Medevil to the waiting jingle. Medevil had parked the pony and trap in a sheltered bend of the cliffs, and his dark hand caressed the sprightly animal as the girls climbed into the vehicle and took their seats. Ruan couldn't help looking at the islander who had sailed under Talgarth's command until his encounter with a shark. Now, with his limping agility, he stepped into the jingle, shook the reins, and they went jogging away from Rock Haven in the direction of St. Avrell.
'It's exciting, really.' Now Yseult had recovered from her initial shock, her green eyes were shining. 'We'll be guests at the chateau. Just think of it, Ruan!'
Ruan was doing just that. The one thing she had not bargained for was the enforced company of the master of the chateau, but until the cottage was set to rights she would have to accept the situation. Lodgings could have been found in the village, but Yseult would be disappointed. The chateau was a romantic and unusual place in her young eyes, and Ruan didn't want to add to the distress the girl had felt upon finding the cottage half-buried by the landslide.
The moorland sky was now lemon-tinged, streaked by a deep blue like that on the edge of a flame. The moors looked strange, and the menhirs standing here and there had the look of lonely figures entranced by the wand of Merlin.
Ruan felt a small cold hand slide into hers, and she gave Yseult an anxious scrutiny. 'You're going into a hot bath as soon as we reach the chateau,' she said. 'I don't want you catching a cold.'
'I shall be all right...' and there Yseult was shaken by a couple of sneezes.
Medevil turned to look at her. 'You both needs a hot rum toddy, with a dash of cinnamon, lemon and brown sugar.' He urged the pony to a faster pace, and the harness bells tinkled, and the wind sang across the heather, bringing with it the tang of the sea. 'We soon be home, young misses. We soon reach the chateau

عرض البوم صور darla  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:19 PM   المشاركة رقم: 14
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

[COLOR="Purp e"] CHAPTER EIGHT
THERE it stood against the dusky sky, a tumble of roofs and winding walls and pepperpot turrets lanced by narrow windows, with lanterns alight as they drove into the courtyard.
Chateau of sea mists, and the legend of a French noble who had fled from tyranny to find a restless peace with a Cornish bride.
Ruan's first impulse was to be fascinated, and then she saw a tall figure stride out of a door and her every nerve seemed to steel itself as Eduard Talgarth crossed over to the jingle. 'You've been a devilish time bringing my guests,' he said to Medevil, and then in the lantern light he caught sight of their bedraggled appearance.
'Mon dieu!' The Gallic exclamation seemed to come naturally to him, especially within the environs of the chateau. 'You look like a pair of drowned young cats! Did Medevil drive into a moor pool on the way here?'
'There was a landslide right on to the cottage,' Yseult broke in with another sneeze. 'It's in a frightful state and we hope you'll let us stay with you for a while.'
'Were you in the cottage?' His eyes flashed to Ruan and took in her windblown hair around her wide eyes, the tremor of her sensitive mouth.
'We went to Mawgan-in-Vale for the day. We took shelter in an old mill when the rain came down - when we arrived home we found the cottage so damaged that Medevil brought us here. I - I hope you don't mind?'
'Mind?' He looked angry for a moment. 'What do you take me for, Miss Perry, a stone man of the moors? I'm only "too glad to have a sound roof to offer you both.'
'Thank you,' she said politely.
'You're welcome.' He glanced at Yseult and broke into a smile. 'You'll be my rights of wreck, eh? Come, out of the jingle and into the chateau with you. There's a great fire, and Medevil will make a couple of his famous rum toddies for you, while Jancey runs your baths. We'll soon have you warm and snug.'
He lifted Yseult to the ground and she ran into the chateau through the door he had left wide open. He extended a hand to Ruan, but she ignored it - and paid the penalty. The cobbles underfoot were still damp from the rain and as she jumped down she slipped and would have fallen if Eduard had not caught hold of her. In an instant she was close to a strength so masculine that she seemed to lose her identity and to become a piece of flotsam he could break and toss aside. She had never experienced anything like it before, and instinct warned her not to struggle or she would touch off the primitive spark in this man.
She heard him laugh very softly. 'You seem adept at landing in the places you would rather avoid. Now ask me to release you.'
'You mean beg, don't you?' As she spoke she felt her heart beating like the wing of a trapped bird.
'Yes, let me hear how you sound when you plead for a little mercy from the stone man.'
'Mr. Talgarth, I'm worried about Yseult and would like to ensure that she gets to bed as soon as possible. She isn't all that strong and had a bad cold just .before she came home for the summer.'
'Very well, I'll strike a bargain with you. If you'll call me Eduard I'll let you go.'
'You're being adolescent!'
'No more than you, Ruan. You treat me as if I'm dangerous to know, when all the time I'm an ordinary chap with a fairly kind nature.'
'Ordinary, did you say?"
'For a Cornishman with a dash of the Breton. We are inclined to look like black-browed pirates, but you mustn't let that disturb you.' His teeth glimmered in a taunting smile. 'I'm beginning to be curious about the disturbing effect I seem to have on you, Ruan. Perhaps you secretly like me.'
'I can assure you I don't!'
'Dear, dear, how sure you are, and how quick to deny that I can be likeable. Shall I make you like me?'
'You'd be wasting your time!'
'There's a nervous quiver in your voice, Ruan. And your eyes are wide with apprehension. Have you vowed not to fall in love again just because your wings got singed by a brush with your first flame? It happens to all of us at some time.'
'As it happened to you - with Charme?'
'Your beautiful stepsister.' His arms tightened around Ruan's slimness, as if he remembered a more luscious figure in his embrace. 'She'd have made the perfect mistress for a chateau, don't you agree? The many old rooms would have bloomed under her tasteful touch, and in no time at all the chateau would have been a show place. The balls and weekend parties of my grandmother's time would have been revived, and everyone would have applauded my choice of a bride. Such a shame so romantic a story couldn't come true. Would you have liked me for a brother-in-law, Ruan?'
'As I've left the St. Cyrs, I don't suppose it would have mattered to me.'
His arms were hard around her, no hint of release in them. 'So you're not going back to them?'
'Never.'
"Where will you go when the summer ends ?'
'To London - like Dick Whittington.'
He gazed down at her, the glimmer of the lanterns in his eyes, and etching the strong angles of his dark face. 'Hugh Strathern lives there.'
•Yes, Mr. Talgarth.'
'In which case I'd better let you go to his child before you succumb to anxiety neurosis in my arms. There's one more thing.'
'I knew there would have to be.'
A smile flickered at the edge of his mouth. 'Please feel at home in my chateau. I'm sure you have the imagination to appreciate its romantic history and its grace, built high on Cornish granite. Feel free to explore, and don't let this mishap to the cottage spoil your fun.'
As he spoke he freed her from his arms, and she walked with him into his home. It was like stepping into another century. There was a worn grandeur about the hall, lit by lamps and a great fire that reflected on the tawny panelling that rose to a quaint gallery above the winding staircase. The floor was covered by a massive carpet of mellowed colours. Large canvases hung upon the walls, the furniture had a French look, and there was a sideboard . with a wine-holder and glasses. The chimneypiece rose to the ceiling and was carved with figures and masks, and there in a deep armchair Yseult was curled, her feet to the warmth of the flames.
She smiled *******edly at their host. 'I feel like a rescued damsel in the castle of Lancelot,' she said.
He smiled down into her drowsy green eyes. 'I've been telling Ruan that you're welcome to stay at the chateau for as long as you both wish. The house, the gardens, and the beach below are yours to enjoy - though you're not to venture into the water when the seas are riding high. The rocks of St. Avrell are below the surface and rather dangerous.'
He glanced at Ruan, and then drew to the fire a little blue velvet prayer stool. 'Please sit down. Medevil will fix your hot toddies while I have a few words with Jancey, my housekeeper. You'll find her a bit gruff, but she means well.'
He strode from the hall, and Ruan sat down on the stool near the welcome glow of the fire, its flames blue-edged as if driftwood burned among the coals. On such a night, with the sea breezes joining forces with the moorland wind it was good to be within thick, safe walls. The fire crackled cosily, and the ocean could be heard swirling over those hidden rocks down on the shore.
'Isn't this a fascinating place?' Yseult whispered, as if the portraits listened. 'Do you like that silver goblet on the mantel? That's Eduard's wrestling cup. And look at that model of a sailing ship - he carved every piece with his own hands, and the sails are of silk. I never dreamed when I came here with Pops last year that I would ever live here.'
'Only until the cottage is made habitable,' Ruan warned.
'That could take a week or more.' Yseult wriggled her toes in the firelight. 'He called you Ruan. He made your name sound as it should - why don't you like him, when he's so kind to us? Are you pretending not to like him? Grown-ups sometimes act that way.'
'There are some people we have to get used to, others we can know in an hour.' Ruan leaned to the fire and her russet hair fell forward around her slender face and her reflective violet eyes. 'At Avendon he seemed worldly and cynical like my stepsister's friends. Here at St. Avrell he's different, and I can't make up my mind which is the real Eduard Talgarth.'
'Well,' said Yseult, looking wise, 'I should think he'd be more himself in Cornwall than elsewhere.'
'A man who has travelled all over the globe?' Ruan's gaze dwelt on the carved ship with the silken sails, and she visualized him at the helm of a ship in the sunshot waters of the Indies, firing orders at his crew, the wind in his hair that was so black it had the gleam of a raven's wing, his eyes reflecting the vivid blue of the sea. He was elemental, and therein lay his fascination and his danger, for how could you grasp a wave, or a flash of lightning, or the wing of an eagle?
Ruan couldn't visualize a moment when she would feel at ease with him. The elusive essence of her nature had met a dominance it retreated from - as the willow shields itself from the wind in a cloak of leaves.
It came as a relief when Medevil entered the room carrying a pair of steaming tankards on a tray. The air was at once redolent of the mixed aromas of rum, spice, and lemons. 'These take away the chills,' he grinned. 'Now don't you wrinkle your nose at good rum, Miss Yseult. You pretend it a magic potion and drink every drop.'
Ruan smiled as she sipped the potent toddy. 'You must miss your sunny island, Medevil, where the sugar cane and the spice trees grow?'
He reflected on that, the firelight in his black eyes, agleam with his memories of places and experiences all bound up with the man he had served for many years. 'Maybe no sugar cane grow on the moors,' he said, 'but the sea beat like drums under Medevil's window, and he happy to be here for next five lives.'
'Five, Medevil?' She looked intrigued.
'Lose two others, miss. One in a waterfront fight, when mon maître pick me up like sack of taters and carry me aboard with a knife in my ribs. He pull it out, clean the hole with whisky and make Medevil yell so much he come back to life.' The islander grinned, showing his fine white teeth. 'Next time a sea-tiger take me for his lunch, and the cap'n fight off that hungry shark and lug Medevil aboard ship again. Medevil reckon he gotta stay with this man. No safe, without. No smile on sugar, island away from mon maître.'
An earthy loyalty rang in the words, and Ruan was moved despite her own desire to run away from the man to whom everyone else was so attached.
He returned at that moment with Jancey, who took them upstairs to a pair of adjoining rooms. Soon they had bathed, and were given flannelette nightgowns to wear in bed. Yseult decided that her four-poster was too big, and she was nervous of the cavernous cupboards in case they harboured mice.
'Let me sleep with you, Ruan?' she pleaded.
'Jump in then.' Ruan had to smile at the comical picture they made in her own huge bed - Persian, with inlay, to match the furniture with dragons carved all over it. Surely such a bed had never been slept in before by a couple of waifs, their hair plaited above the ribbon-drawn necks of flannelette nighties!
Yseult gave a giggle, and then the door swept open and Jancey marched in with a large tray on which there was a cluster of covered dishes. 'Don't you like your room?' She gave Yseult a stern look.
'It's rather big - and I wouldn't help thinking of the chateau ghost."
'Ghosts won't hurt you, my girl, they're made out of superstition and shadows.' Jancey settled the tray between the two girls. 'It's people cause the trouble and strife.'
" 'I'm sorry our arrival has caused you more work,' Ruan apologized. 'I'll keep our rooms tidy, and help with the meals if you'd like me to.'
'There's no need for you to clutter my kitchen.' Jancey swept a gimlet eye over Ruan, who looked not much older than Yseult in the enveloping nightwear. 'It weren't your fault about the cottage at Pencarne getting damaged by the weather. Act of nature, and we'll have to make the best of it. Now eat your supper afore it gets cold.'
Ruan uncovered the dishes and found a chicken stew with small airy dumplings, and for sweet a custard mousse that looked delicious. She smiled at Jancey. 'Thank you for cooking supper for us. It looks very tasty.'
'Mr. Talgarth gave orders for something hot and substantial, so eat it all up.' The housekeeper departed, and Yseult shot a wide-eyed look at Ruan.
'I don't much care for that woman,' she said. 'And I don't like dumplings.'
'Eat a couple, they're good for the sniffles.' Ruan smiled encouragingly. 'Downstairs you were telling me how much you looked forward to staying here. Have you changed your mind? If so, I'm sure we could get lodgings in Pencarne village.'
'Oh no.' Yseult started to eat her supper. 'I want to stay here very much - it's just that I get a bit nervous at night, and Jancey isn't very friendly. I suppose Eduard keeps her on because she's a good cook.'
'Yes, I suppose he does.' Ruan bent her head to hide the dimple in her cheek, for she couldn't help being amused by Yseult's grown-up airs. 'This stew is nice and warming, isn't it?'
'Mmm. Do you suppose Eduard will come up and say goodnight to us?'
'I hope not!'
Yseult looked at Ruan and laughed. 'I believe you're shy of him.'
'I'm shy of being seen in bed like this by any man. He wouldn't dare-' Ruan broke off and bit her lip. She knew there were many things Eduard Talgarth would dare, and the very thought of being seen by him in plaits and flannelette was enough to make her want to hide under the covers. Those devil-blue eyes of his would never stop smiling!
She was all on thorns, and every movement outside in the gallery seemed to sound like his footsteps. It was such a relief when Jancey came for the depleted tray and brought a verbal message from him. He wished them a comfortable night and would wait until the morning to give them the messages sent by Yseult's father from London.' He had, also, something special to tell Miss Perry.
'Goodnight to you both.' Jancey rustled her way to the door, as lost in time as the house she served in her stiff dark dress, her silvery hair knotted at the nape of her neck, and a bunch of keys rattling on a chatelaine at her narrow waist. 'You have no need to be nervous of the ghost of the chateau. The master sleeps in the rooms that once belonged to Eduard le Valliante. It's the turret above the master suite that he's said to haunt.'
The door closed behind her, and the lamplight glimmered in the large eyes of the two girls as they looked at each other. 'He wouldn't be afraid,' Yseult whispered.
'No,' Ruan agreed, her dimple a small half-moon in her cheek. 'It would take more than a legend and a shadow to unnerve the master of the chateau. I wonder- ?'
'What special thing he has to tell you in the morning?'
'Yes. Ruan couldn't help but wonder who he had seen in London apart from Hugh Strathern. 'Shall I turn out the lamp?'
'If you must,' Yseult said nervously.
'Snuggle down and you'll be sound asleep in no time.* The lamp clicked out and in the darkness of the vast old room the sea far below took on a nearer sound. In a while someone could be heard limping - Medevil putting out the' lights along the gallery. Then a horse whinnied and stamped in the stable, and foliage rustled against the stone walls of the chateau.
The place was two hundred years old and its legends were as much a part of St. Avrell as the granite cliffs on which it was built, and the wide moors surrounding it. It was a house built for a large family, but all that remained was a single man, his few faithful servants, arid the horse he rode along the mottled sands when the sun was setting. He had once warned her that if she ever came to Cornwall she would learn what manner of man he was. But she knew already - he was bold, and he was a little bad, and lonely enough to marry just for the companionship. Perhaps in all his wanderings he had never found someone he could really love.

A golden scatter of early morning sunlight was in the room when she awoke. The clock told her how early it was, but almost at once she wanted to rise, to look about her, to become acquainted with the chateau.
She slipped out of bed and took her clothes into the bathroom so she wouldn't wake Yseult, who would sleep on for another hour or two. It would do her good, for yesterday she had looked as if she were catching a cold. Ruan herself felt active and restless, and after a wash she put on her sweater and glen-plaid skirt, made the best of her rainmarked casuals, and let herself out of the bedroom as quietly as possible.
Last night she had been too confused by the events brought about by the rainstorm to take much heed of her surroundings, but this morning she noticed the dark, historic Armada wood of the staircase, curving down to the hall where the chairs and the prayer-stool were still grouped about the dead fire. She heard in the silence the soft boom of the sea, and saw the sun striking through long windows at the end of the hall. She made for the sun and passed on her way a brassbound ship's clock, and an oriental vase with petals fallen from a cluster of roses. Red roses, adding to the bouquet of the chateau, a mingling of weathered stone, of polished wood, and the salt tang of the ocean. The strong and virile Atlantic beating for ever at the rocks below.
Ruan felt the beating of her heart as she stepped into the large garden of the chateau, which rambled with a will of its own, past arbours and statues and nooks where birds perched upon seats of teak. Quite suddenly she came to a wall, with buds and briars glinting darkly against a scrambling mass of roses. She stood in wonderment, wanting to touch the scarlet cloak but afraid of the briars.
There was a small door and she tried it and entered the walled rose garden. It was entrancing and unexpected to find so lovely a place in the heart of the grounds. The scent was intoxicating, arising from bushes of tea-roses, smothered pergolas, and elegant damasks with a velvet swirling of petals. They grew in a passionate riot of colour, clusters and fountains of the most lovely flower on earth, the garden of a crusader who had come home after long wanderings to buy back from strangers the Talgarth heritage. This place of turrets against a windswept sky, a dream in reality.
Ruan lingered in the rose garden, where the dew still lay on the petals and small gold spiders drowsed in their webs. She wondered if the dark Talgarth came often to this romantic place. She had seen roses in the hall of the chateau, and a man who liked to work with his hands could be a man who tended roses and found them lovely.
Red roses for kindness ... entwined briars for star-crossed lovers.
She let herself out of the door at the opposite side of the enclosure and found herself on a winding footpath.. She followed it and came out upon the turf-covered cliffs that towered from the sea, where large waves were sweeping in over smaller waves, drowning them, their crests shot with sunshine so they gleamed like glass.
There was a bank of gorse and wild fuchsia that formed a soft, musky barrier where Ruan knelt to take in the scene below. The salty wind blew her hair about her slender face, and her lips were stung to coral, and she thought she saw a seal swimming among the breakers until, with a little gasp, she realized that it was a man. She and Yseult had been warned not to swim when the waves were high, but Eduard Talgarth seemed reckless himself of the strength and danger of the St. Avrell waters. He breasted the waves and his black head and lean body could be seen for a moment, then the waters covered him again and it seemed to Ruan that he would never emerge.
She held her breath as she awaited another glimpse of him. He was obviously a strong and seasoned swimmer, but what if he got caught in the undertow around those rocks? What if he knocked his head and never appeared again?
She knelt there, and the clamour of the ocean mingled with the bird cries as she tried to see beneath the froth on the glass waves. She searched for an upraised arm, the strip of navy briefs against the tanned limbs, the seal-blackness of his hair. Her anxiety grew as the minutes ticked by, and then clearly on the morning air she heard a deep-timbred voice singing, coming nearer all the time up the footpath where blackthorn grew, and columbine, and straggles of sea-pinks.

Open the door, my hinny, my heart.
Open the door, my own darling ...

Ruan jumped to her feet as he appeared over the headland and was outlined a moment against the gold and blue of the morning sky. His black hair was wet and tousled; he wore a turtle-neck sweater of white and narrow dark slacks that lengthened his legs even more. A pair of damp swimming briefs swung in his hand, and he stopped singing as he caught sight of her, the words 'my own darling' on his lips as he stared at Ruan.
'Hullo there!' he exclaimed. 'You're an early riser.'
'So are you.' She was confused by the look of him; by the song he had been singing, and by her anxiety for a man who knew the sea too well to let it get the better of him. He had evidently swum underwater to a hidden cove and there he had dressed.
'I'm used to an early swim. I used to dive over the side of the Pandora and swim in the peacock waters. They look so warm, and yet it's amazing how cool they can be.' He came through the gorse to her side and before she knew his intention he took something from a strand of her hair. A rose petal, like a patch of red velvet in his hand. 'You've been in my rose garden, eh?'
'I -I hope you don't mind ?'
'Mind?' His blue eyes looked quizzically into hers. 'You seem to think me a bit of a bluebeard, Ruan. None of my doors are locked against you. Did it come as a pleasant surprise to find the enchanted garden of the ogre?'
He stood grinning at her, too blue-eyed, too sea-clean to frighten her this morning. Fright had come while he was down there, and she gave him an annoyed look for breaking through her defences. 'Isn't it rather unusual for a man of the sea to have a green thumb?' she asked.
He looked at his hand and rubbed his thumb against the velvety rose petal. 'I've always liked the primeval feel of wood, metal, or growing things. I had ambitions to be a sculptor, but it would have taken longer that way to make money.' His eyes held hers. 'Are you shocked by so mercenary a statement?'
'Not in the circumstances,' she had to admit. His hands were lean, hard, tanned by the sun of the tropics. 'I've heard that the chateau fell into the hands of strangers and you had to get it back for the Talgarths.'
'At present there's only the one,' he drawled, and she followed his gaze to the turrets of the chateau, the conical tower at the side, with a gallery over the arched doorway. The lacy ironwork of the narrow windows,- and the ship's pennant blowing in the wind above the fable-like structure that would stand another century because it was built of Cornish stone.
'The standard is off the Pandora, my favourite ship,' he said. 'She's in dry dock at Port Perryn and I may one day sail her again. Who knows ?'
Ruan detected a note of nostalgia in his voice - and something almost reckless, as if there would be nothing to hold him to the land if he failed to make the chateau a family house once again. Did he realize that it took more than the possession of a house to make a home, this man who looked as if he had been ruthless towards the women met in his travels who might have loved him? And then he slowly smiled at her and she was uncertain of her thoughts of him. His mouth seemed almost gentle, and yet a moment before it had looked quite grim.
'Each one of us is a divided personality,' he said. 'We each have a star to follow, but the course is not always set in a straight line. It's like searching for an uncharted island, you can only follow the map a certain part of the way and then you're on your own. Often you never find the island, but if you do it seems like heaven - until a storm strikes.'
She stared at him and felt the quick beating of her heart. 'You said last night that you had something special to tell me. It's about Tarquin, isn't it?'
'Yes. He had to see Hugh Strathern for a final checkup, and Hugh pronounced him fit and asked if he was off to make a film. Powers replied that he was going to America - to see his wife."
There was a tense silence, broken only by the seabirds and the far downbeat of the waves, rhythmic, urgent, like the pain that caught at Ruan and then ebbed away to a dull ache. Knowing Tarquin had been a banquet she had never thought to attend - now the table was cleared, the candles were out, the wine was cold and forgotten in the loving cup. She shivered, and then felt the warm grip of a hand pulling her away from the cliff edge.
'Come and have breakfast with me.' Talgarth spoke crisply. 'I cook it myself in the studio I have in that witch-peaked tower. All the ingredients are there, and for a seaman with a green thumb I cook up a fairly decent meal.'
They walked side by side through the dewy gorse and she preceded him along the winding path that led to the rose garden. She was aware of his tallness behind her, of his gaze upon her as the wind blew her skirt above her knees and whipped her hair into a loop about her throat. She felt that odd irrational urge to break into a run, and he must have sensed it, for he gave a laugh.
'Ruan, you're just like your name,' he taunted. 'You're always running away, even when we seem to find a bit of sympathy to share. You don't like me, and I have a favour to ask of you.'
'A favour?' She swung round from the door in the rose garden wall, and her eyes appealed to him not to ask anything of her. The giving and taking of favours bestowed a certain intimacy and she shied from any sort of closeness to Eduard Talgarth.
His lip quirked as he reached out and pushed open the door of the rose garden, so that once again she was surrounded by the red ramblers, the pastel damasks, and the entwining briars. But this time the dark Talgarth was there to share the beauty of the roses, their intoxicating scent and their symbolism.
'What favour do you imagine I'd ask of you? From the look in your eyes it's something too dire for words. Ruan,' he laughed again, 'it isn't a kiss, nor a proposal of marriage. Did you think it was?'
'Of course not!'
'Then why do you look so apprehensive? You could slap me for taking a kiss, and you can always say no if I ask you to marry me.'
'Please stop the teasing and tell me what you mean by a favour.'
'Teasing, eh?' He cupped a rose in his hand, honey-pink against the deep tan of his skin. 'Don't you think I'd like to kiss you, Ruan Perry? Other men have wanted to.'
'You no doubt find it amusing to talk in this vein, Air. Talgarth, and I believe you're curious. You'd like to find out why Tarquin enjoyed my company, and why Hugh Strathern wants to see me again. I've never kissed Hugh, if you're curious on that score.'
'But matters went a bit further with the charming actor, eh?'
'I - I don't want to discuss it.' Her fingers clenched a rose, then she gave a pained gasp as a thorn stabbed her thumb. At once Eduard caught hold of her hand and before she could stop him he bent his head and drew out the poison. All the time he looked at her with those magnetic blue eyes, and she was aware of the primitive forces in him, the ability to shock with a kindness or a cruelty. There was .no middle way for him; none of the sophistication that made other men seem less formidable. If a snake had bitten her, he would have acted in the same way.
'The rose can be dangerous,' he said quietly. 'I had to have a finger lanced a fortnight ago. There, it didn't hurt being touched by my lips, did it ?'
She flushed, for he had made the incident seem like a moment of lovemaking. 'Th - thank you.' She drew her hand from his and looked at the little mark so she wouldn't have to look at him. 'Now I can't refuse you a favour, can I?'
'Not even if it were a proposal ?'
Her shocked eyes lifted to his, and he laughed outright, a bold sound with a lash of mockery in it. 'Don't swoon, Ruan. I might look a bit of a pirate, with Cornish right-of-wreck instincts not far below the surface, but I'd no more salvage a broken candy cask than I'd want a girl in love with another man. There'd be nothing in it, either way, and Talgarth likes to strike a warmer bargain.'
Ruan slowly smiled, for this was the Talgarth she understood, the tough trader who would have felt himself well rewarded if Charme St. Cyr had agreed to marry him. He smiled with her, a quizzical glint in his eyes, and opened the door that led out of the rose garden. Soon they came in sight of the conical tower in which he had his studio, and as they entered through the arched door and mounted some winding stairs to the room, a large cat brushed past her legs and she gave a gasp of surprise and found Eduard close to her on that narrow stairway.
'It's only Tinker. He used to sail with us on the Pandora and like Medevil he came home with me when I left the sea. He goes to the attic under the tower to hunt for mice." A hand enclosed her elbow, so strong and yet curiously sensitive, as if each nerve was vibrant with life. As if the shape of bones was more beautiful to him than their covering. As if each petal on the rose was more lovely than the complete flower. As if in wood or metal he sought to create the flesh and the petal.
He was a strange, complex being ... an adventurer and a dreamer, and Ruan felt a sense of wonderment as she entered his studio. The air was filled with the tang of wood shavings, and the benches were littered with tools and carvings, and a bronzed head. Strong, almost cruel, a flick of a smile on the bold lips ... a self-sculpture!
'Look at it, pick it up, if you want to.' He strolled to the other side of the circular room, where there was a cupboard, a small brass stove, and cooking utensils.
She studied the head and knew it to be a bold work of art, yet it lacked something that made her turn and look at Eduard, as if for inspiration. He cast her a glance as he broke eggs into a pan and lit the gas jets of the stove ... she met eyes blue as daylight, with lashes dark as night, and knew that was why the carving was dead in comparison to the man.
The thing about Eduard Talgarth that shook a woman was that he was so intensely alive, from his black shock of hair to his broad shoulders, down to his firmly planted feet, as if even yet he stood on the deck of a sailing ship.
'Bacon with the eggs, and fried bread?' he asked.
She nodded and realized how hungry she was. 'You're clever with your hands,' she said. 'This is very good.'
He shrugged. 'I need a more beautiful model... I need the winged look. Do you like that seagull ?'
'Oh yes.' It was in applewood, lighter, as if carved with a more loving touch. 'You like the wild things, don't you?'
'You sound surprised.' He turned to look at her as the eggs sizzled merrily. 'I'm more in touch with the wild than the tame ... I thought you knew, guessed it, at least.'
'It isn't always easy to guess things about you, Mr. Talgarth.' She stroked a wing of the seagull. 'I haven't a clue to this favour you want to ask of me.'
'Haven't you?' He flicked a look over Ruan in her short plaid skirt and lavender sweater, took in her wind tangled hair and her eyes that changed so elusively from grey to violet. 'I believe anyone but you would have guessed ten minutes ago. I want you to model for me.'
She looked at him a stunned half-minute, while he transferred the eggs to a plate and laid slices of bacon in the pan. On the other jet a coffee pot was bubbling, filling the room with the aroma of really good coffee, the sort that didn't come out of a tin. "Why should you want me for a model?' she gasped. 'I'm not beautiful.'
'No, liebchen.' He spoke lazily. 'You aren't like diamonds, iced champagne, and silver orchids.'
'Charme?'
'All those things.'
'Poor man, not to have got her to the chateau as your model, or your wife.' Ruan gave a shaky laugh. 'And what am I, your substitute model ?'
'You are wild violets, Ruan, a running stream in the woods, a piskie pin.' He swung right round, his heavy eyelids lifted and she saw the hint of a tempest in his blue eyes. His scrutiny was that of a ship's captain, a pirate of the high seas, a man who had met many women and knew her for the most innocent of them.
'I'd like to sculpt you,' he said. 'As a haunted young Undine waiting for her prince.'
'No!' The word broke from her. 'I refuse ... utterly.'
'You're being rather childish.'
'And you're being cruel!'
'Ah, you think me cruel, Ruan ?'
'Yes. You want to capture the haunting and the hurt that's in me.'
'I admit you have a certain look that I find intriguing, but it's something you were born with and has nothing to do with the pangs of adolescence.' He quirked that black eyebrow as he spoke, and a wicked little peak formed above his left eye. 'You've a lot to learn about men,^ Ruan. You've a devil of a lot to learn about me.'
Suddenly the bacon was smoking and he turned away to attend to the food. She watched him and felt a smarting in her eyes. She blinked away the tears, for it would be mortifying to cry in front of this man who had never really loved anything except his ships and the ocean and being clever with his hands. He wanted those hands to create a girl of stone to match his heart of stone. All right! She would be his model for the Undine who could never cause him heartache.
'When would you like me to start modelling for you?' she asked.
He dished up the food, poured the coffee, and pulled out a chair at a gateleg table for her. Outside the tower studio birds were whistling in the trees and there was a rattle of a milk van coining up the hill. 'Tomorrow, if you're quite sure you want to go through with it,' he said. 'I never start anything unless I mean to finish it.'
'It will repay you for your hospitality to Yseult and myself.' She bent her head to her plate. 'You like to strike a good bargain.'
'Do you think I bargain for everything, Ruan?'
'Don't you, Mr. Talgarth? I believe you think you can even buy a wife.'
'I know I could, if I chose to. He laughed. 'As a well-seasoned traveller I can assure you that I've seen a woman bought for a pearl, or a flock of goats. How does that strike you?'
She glanced up and found his eyes teasing her over the rim of his coffee cup. 'If I had to be bought, I'd prefer to be bought with a pearl. Anyway this is England, not some barbaric corner of the world.'
'Don't you believe it happens in this civilized country of ours?'
His tone was ironical, and she bit her lip, remembering Charme's determined salesmanship of herself to the highest bidder. 'I prefer to believe in love, Air. Talgarth. I can't visualize any real, lasting happiness without it.'
'Did it make you happy ?'
'For a while I was very happy.'
"You caught a glimpse of heaven, eh ?'
'If you want to put it that way.'
'Maybe one day, Ruan, your eyes will be opened to the real thing.'
'It was real,' she said fiercely.'
'A dream seems real, then we awake and the dream gives way to reality. It's much more satisfying in the end to grasp reality rather than a dream figure.'
'Oh, you wouldn't understand!'
'Wouldn't I?' He chewed bacon and egg, and looked amused. 'I wonder why you think so ?'
"Would you believe anything I told you about Katmandu, when you've been there and I haven't?'
'Meaning I have to fall in love before I dare be wise about it?' His eyes were a brilliant blue as he dabbed a check-patterned napkin against his lips. 'More coffee, Ruan?'
'Please.'
'I'm glad my coffee pleases you.'
'I'm very thirsty.'
'You're asking to be spanked, young lady.' His eyes gleamed as he handed her the cup. 'One of these fine days-'
'You'd have to catch me first, Mr. Talgarth.'
'I intend to,' he drawled. 'You'll be spanked, or kissed.' Her heart missed a beat when he said that, but when she looked at him he was sugaring his coffee and a ray of sunshine slanted across his face and made his expression unreadable. Such a strong, dark, Celtic face ... it sent a tingle all the way down her spine, for it was the face of a man who kept his word!
[/COLOR]

عرض البوم صور darla  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:23 PM   المشاركة رقم: 15
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER NINE
THE roar of the incoming tide, the great swell of the waves, the crash as they climbed the rocks and broke in a great scatter of spray. This was the music of the chateau of St. Avrell, the heartbeat of it, and Ruan never went down to the shore without remembering the boy who long ago had hunted here for shells and thought the rocks like knights at their vigil.
It was strange, as if no matter where she ran she would never escape him. And when she listened to the waves she seemed to hear his voice. 'Do you think I don't get frightened, dear nymph? Do you think I want the pain of saying good-bye to you?'
But there had been no pain for him when he had said good-bye to her... he had said it to a stranger, and now all this ocean separated them.
She ran along the shore pursued by bird calls. She. mustn't think about anything but this holiday, which had taken such a strange turn. Not only was she a guest at the chateau, but each day she posed for the figure of Undine, and to her relief Eduard allowed Yseult to be present at the sittings. It was much like, sitting for an artist, except that he worked in clay, using his mobile fingers to shape her features and the contours of her slim figure reclining on a rock brought up from the beach to the courtyard of his studio.
There had been the question of what to wear. Though Jem Lovibond had salvaged most of their belongings, Eduard had found her dresses too up-to-date and said she must wear something that clung softly to her figure and had the look of sea mist floating around her.
It was upon his orders that Medevil carried a large sandalwood box down from one of the attics, and when it was opened both girls caught their breath in surprise and delight. It was full of silken things that would have pulled through a gold ring.
Ruan felt compelled to look at Eduard, tall by the mantelpiece, a cigar between his teeth, and he half-smiled and made her wonder if there had been a special girl in his life, someone exquisite, on whom such lovely Eastern silks would look stunning.
'There was a planter on one of the coffee islands,' he said, smoke drifting upwards past the glints in his eyes. 'He ordered a trousseau for his bride-to-be, but when we arrived at the island in the Pandora one of the plantation houseboys came running on board to tell me not to unload the cargo ordered by his master. His girl had written to say she was marrying someone else; she couldn't face life on an island after all. Somehow the sandalwood box and ifs *******s remained on the Pandora until I sailed her home to Cornwall. You should find something there, Ruan, to wear for me.'
She flushed at the way he put it and knelt by the box of silks, into which Yseult was delving with all the carelessness of a child. She didn't understand how sad it really was that a lonely man should want to lavish so much loveliness on a girl, only to receive a cool letter saying she didn't care enough to share his island.
'Isn't this gorgeous?' Yseult had draped herself in a shimmering length of sea-green silk.
'That isn't the way to wear a sari.' Cigar clenched in his teeth, Eduard took hold of Yseult and with a couple of deft movements of his hands he draped the silk correctly. 'There, now you look as pretty as a temple dancer.'
Yseult smiled and danced around the room, her gay young reflection caught and held a dozen times in the gilded mirrors of the salon. 'Wouldn't you like me to model for you?' she asked.
'You wouldn't sit still long enough. I'd finish up with a blob of something looking four ways at once, with legs and arms all over the place.' He drew lazily on his cigar.
wait till you're grown up and have a little more repose.'
'Like Ruan?' Yseult shot a took of mischief at her young chaperone, who with her switch of hair to her waist was admiring a length of gossamer tulle.
'I could make a sort of Greek dress with this,' she said. 'Isn't it a beautiful colour, like a silvery grey cloud with tinges of pink and flame ?'
Eduard didn't say anything and she glanced at him for his reaction. Her heart gave a funny little leap, for his eyes were so intensely alive in his craggy face, like two blue flames burning her as he studied her from across the room. She couldn't tell what he was thinking. Perhaps that she wouldn't look half so attractive as the girls who danced in the courtyards of Eastern pagodas.
He smiled lazily. 'Yes, wear that. Make the dress so it has panels of odd lengths, to give the effect of rags and tatters. Undine was a waif of the seashore, in love with a prince from the castle. She shouldn't look too sophisticated ... somehow enchantment has a sort of innocence about it. Those who possess the real thing are often unaware of the fact.'
'I like the story of Undine ... it seems to suit Ruan.' Yseult set the radiogram in motion and a lovely piece by Debussy put an end to conversation until it died softly away. Eduard then rang for Medevil and told him to bring a bottle of wine to the salon. 'It isn't often I have guests and we should celebrate the occasion,' he said.
Medevil nodded and smiled at Yseult in her sea-green drapery. He looked pleased that his 'maître' was being entertained by his young lady guests.
It would be lonely here a good deal of the time, Ruan realized. The chateau was remote from other houses, and Eduard had said himself that he had lost contact with the people he had known in his youth. He had sailed away to distant shores when he was nineteen, and for a long time the chateau had stood empty, unlived in by the stranger who had bought it. Out of the blue Eduard had returned to Cornwall, rich enough to buy back the family home, a sea trading merchant with his friends scattered across the Indies. Planters and sea captains. Men of adventure like himself ... whom he might rejoin if the chateau remained for him but a lonely house on a cliff top.
But this evening there was music. The lamps were alight and the lonely sea and the moors were shut out by long brocade curtains. Soon Medevil returned with the wine and the cobwebs around the neck of the bottle made it appear as if it had been in the cellar since the wild old smuggling days.
'Don't wrinkle your nose,' Eduard said to Yseult, as he poured the wine into a carafe of fine glass, with the tiny faces of fauns, and tiny grapes and leaves etched in a tracery of silver. 'Wine is all the better for being mature, and this batch was put down in my grandfather's time, straight out of a French vineyard. The Talgarths were county in those days. My grandmother used to give large parties and the banquet table in the dining-room used to seat a hundred people. They'd dance all night, breakfast on eggs, bacon and champagne, and then ride out across the moors to whip up an appetite for more dining and dancing.'
'It must have been super, with all the chandeliers aglow, and musicians playing up in the gallery.' Yseult's eyes were shining. 'Couldn't you revive it all, Eduard?'
He shook his head, but for a moment Ruan seemed to glimpse a wistfulness in his eyes, as if he had hoped for some return of the old happy days. But Charme had rejected him, and Ruan had now seen the portrait of his grandmother in the morning-room where she used to write her letters and her party invitations. A smiling, pert-faced creature, with a mass of fair hair and huge blue eyes, jewels glinting against her creamy neck, she was the woman who had made a large hole in the Talgarth fortune. Her son - Eduard's father - had inherited her love of a good time and company, and in the end the chateau and the family jewels had gone to pay off his gambling debts. His son had had to buy back his inheritance.
He poured the wine into small glasses that matched the carafe and handed one to each of the girls. Yseult was thrilled. 'May I say the toast?' she asked him. 'Please let me!'
'Of course you may.' He gave her a bow that revealed his Breton blood. 'I rarely have company, and two such pretty guests have a crusty seaman at their command.'
'I don't think you're a bit crusty,' Yseult protested. 'You're as gallant as that Eduard of long ago.'
'You're very charming to say so.' He smiled, but he was not teasing Yseult. There was no devilish glint in his eye; no wicked arch to his eyebrow. His gaze was gentle as it dwelt upon the red-gold hair of his younger guest, a leggy schoolgirl as yet, but who in a year or two would be grown up enough to turn a man's head with her green-eyed smile. As the daughter of his friend she would often come here; as a man lonely for company he would welcome her.
Ruan was a little shocked by her thoughts, yet they persisted. Yseult made no secret of her fondness for him, and he wouldn't be the first mature man to take a girl-bride. 'And now that toast before the bubbles go out of the wine,' he said to her.
Yseult gave him a curtsy. 'Wine was meant to be, or there would be no grapes on the vines. Love was meant to be, or there would be no women. There!'
This time he did quirk his left eyebrow, and then he raised his wine glass, first to Yseult, and more slowly to Ruan, his eyes brilliant, daring, holding for her a little spark of mockery and not a hint of the gentleness he showed the younger girl. She sipped her wine and turned to study a collection of rare objects he had brought back from his travels and kept in a treasure table. Pieces of jade of unusual colours, a tiny pagoda carved from ivory, an idol with jewelled eyes, and amulets inscribed with tiny letters.
She glanced at her scarab ring with the tiny lettering under the wing ... instead of happiness it seemed as if the ring had brought only misfortune. It was as if some spell lay upon it ... was it possible that a thing so charming could be unlucky.
'Admiring my jade?'
She gave a start as Eduard came to her side. 'Yes - it's very beautiful, and I had no idea it was so vari-coloured.'
'These things are very evocative. They remind me of river festivals and flower boats, of gongs and temple ruins, and pools of golden carp.' He opened the glass top of the table and lifted from its bed a spray of cherry-blossom carved from jade, translucent and delicate as a breath of air. 'This is many years old. Do you see, it has a clip at the back so it can be worn in the hair. Cherry-blossom was the flower of love at the old courts of China, and this pin might have been worn by a Mandarin's sweetheart as she fluttered about him, bringing his tea, soothing him with an ivory fan, or listening at his feet as he read verses to her.'
Ruan glanced at him, for he always surprised her when he talked like this, revealing his love of delicate trifles and his knowledge of old traditions. 'Do you wish women were still like that?' she asked.
'Obedient to a man's every whim?' he drawled. 'It would be rather pleasant to have a loving slave, but I prefer frankly a girl with spirit who enjoys the fireworks of an argument. Who gives me hell ... and promises heaven.'
He replaced the jade, and took from the case a pair of fine chains with a little gold Buddha attached to each' one. 'Please accept this as a keepsake.' He dropped one of the chains into Ruan's hand, then he strolled across to Yseult and fastened the companion chain around her wrist. He did it gallantly, while Ruan stood alone by the table with her fingers clenching slowly on the little Buddha - god of repose and reflection.
'Oh, Eduard, it's lovely!' Yseult flung her arms about his neck and stood on tiptoe to kiss his lean brown cheek.
'You're my favourite man ... please wait for me to grow up, or I shall go into a nunnery!'
He laughed as she toyed with the wrist-chain. 'When you are older, Yseult, I shall remind you of this evening and you'll laugh to remember the young girl who pledged herself to a nunnery. By then you'll have all you dream of.'
'Do dreams come true?' she asked him wistfully.
'For the young in heart, my gilly, and sometimes for those who know the need for love because they've never had it. And now it's time for you and Ruan to trot off to bed.'
'Already?' she protested.
'It's past ten o'clock and you look sleepy.' He glanced at Ruan and a smile lingered at the corner of his mouth though his eyes were a trifle sombre. 'Do you both sleep well under the roof of the chateau? You mustn't let our ghost worry you. According to legend he only haunts a Talgarth, and I occupy the rooms where he's said to wander. He's just a lonely exile, rather like myself.'
'But Cornwall is your home-'
'Cornwall is where I was born, but no place is home unless the heart is there. And now I'll bid you both goodnight - if you'd like some hot milk I'll tell Medevil to bring it up to you.'
Yseult wrinkled her nose. 'Hot milk reminds me of school!'
'Heaven forbid!' He was now lighting one of his thin cigars, as if he meant to smoke alone in the salon or to take a stroll as far as the walled garden where the night air would be redolent of the rambling roses.
'Thank you for the keepsake,' said Ruan awkwardly.
'You're welcome.' His eyes seemed to hold teasing glints through the smoke of his cigar. 'It's said to bring good fortune to a house to give of its treasures to a stranger - do you feel a stranger still ?'
She didn't know how to reply to him. There had been too many times in her life when she had felt the outsider, and a look, a gesture could reawaken the feeling. Giving her a trinket had been but a gesture. She hadn't wanted him to fasten it about her wrist, yet the cool manner of his giving had reminded her vividly of the days of her adolescence, when Charme had been made so much more of; when a gift to herself had been but a tiresome duty so far as her stepfather was concerned.
She wanted nothing from anyone, if it could not be given freely, but already she had thanked Eduard for the trinket, and the firm jut of his chin was always a warning not to tangle with him unless you were well prepared for the fight. Tonight she felt curiously defenceless, and when he took a sudden step close to her she felt as if her knees would give way.
'What's the matter?' he demanded in a low voice. 'Have I done something to hurt you? Surely not, Ruan. You're immune from what I can inflict on you. I'm just that tiresome Cornishman with the odd ability to read your mind. I know right now what you're thinking.'
'You can't know!'
'But I do know, Ruan. You're thinking about Avendon and the humility you were taught there. Always to take a back seat, to sit in the shadows and watch the drama and desire of other people's lives. Then you found a little drama of your own, but the curtain came down on it, and right now you're feeling hurt and rebellious. You don't want to sit out in the cold any more ... you want to be loved, don't you, Ruan?'
'How dare you?' She fought the strange weakness in her legs and backed away from his tall figure and his dark face, his eyes narrowed speculatively against the smoke of his cigar. 'Yseult, I'm off to bed! Are you coming?'
'I was just having another peek in the bride's box. Ruan, will you make me a dress out of some of this gorgeous silk?'
'Yes, my dear, tomorrow.'
'Good night, Ruan,' Eduard said deliberately. 'Sweet dreams.'
'I-' She wanted to protest that she hated him ... it
was shocking to be so transparent to a man, as if she had no secret that was safe from him.
'Don't say it,' he drawled. 'You might regret it.'
'You're incorrigible!' She tossed her head, turned on her heel and marched out of the room. She was halfway up the stairs before Yseult caught up with her.
'You've been quarrelling with him again," the younger girl accused. 'I don't know how you can!'
'It's easy,' said Ruan. 'He's the most presumptuous devil I've ever had the misfortune to meet. He's been a ship's captain so long that he thinks he can boss everyone as he did his long-suffering crew. Poor men! They must have thought they had Captain Bligh on board!'
Yseult giggled, 'You're funny, Ruan.'
'I'm glad you appreciate my humour, only I'm not being funny on purpose. The sooner Rock Haven is set to rights the better I shall like it. We can then pack up and leave this place - and that man.'
'He was kind enough to give us a bangle each. I love mine, with its little gold idol. I shall wear it in bed.' Yseult admired her wrist-chain. 'He was going to give me a ring, but I expect he'll save it for when I'm older. It's very significant for a man to give a girl a ring - though I've heard that in Spain a bangle is a love token. It would be a thrill if Eduard meant one of us for his future bride.'
With deliberation Ruan dropped her own chain on the dressing-table. The tiny idol gleamed in the lamplight, reminding her that anger was foolish and that reflection brought wisdom. Oh, but the man was so-annoying ... not even Charme with her pointed remarks could arouse the spitfire in Ruan as did that tall devil with eyes so blue and deep it was like drowning in them when he looked at her.
Her mind was made up; as soon as Jem brought word that the cottage was fit to live in again, she and Yseult would pack their belongings and leave the chateau. But in the meantime she had to make the best of a situation she found tense and disturbing.
As she undressed she became aware that Yseult had gone to bed in her own room tonight, though she had left the communicating door ajar. 'Good night, Yseult,' she called out. 'Sleep well.'
'Good night,' Yseult mumbled,
Ruan sighed and slipped into her own enormous bed. How did you explain to the young that antagonisms were as natural as affections; that try as she might she couldn't feel at ease with Eduard Talgarth? He made her feel untried and unworldly, as if her love for Tarquin had been but a step into womanhood instead of the most profound happening in her life. She had nothing tolling to if she couldn't believe that Tarquin had loved her in return. His dear nymph, sharing with him those sunlit hours on the river Avon.
When she switched out the lamp her fingers came in contact with the little idol, and she made a vow. She would try to be friends with Eduard. There were times when she found him interesting, especially when he talked about the arts and crafts of the Eastern lands and revealed the side of him that was cultured, even rather gentle.
She was smiling a little as she drifted off to sleep ... gentle was perhaps a word to smile at when applied to the master of the chateau.

When sittings for Undine were over for the day, the two girls were free to enjoy the chateau and its surroundings. They discovered a hard tennis court in spanking condition and played for fun, until their host came along and challenged them to a game. He took on the pair of them and had such a swift forearm swing with the racquet that he had them diving about the court until they were laughingly exhausted and had to be revived with tall cool drinks.
The jingle was also at their command, and Eduard often drove them to see the romantic haunts of Cornwall. They visited the castle ruins of Tintagel, where whispers of the old legends seemed to linger in the air and where at twilight the old ghosts might wander, the swirling of waves around the sharp dark rocks that guarded the ancient ruins.
They saw the little church of the six virtues, and Ruan noticed the smile hovering about Eduard's lips as they studied the figures in the stained glass window. 'Who would you choose?' she asked unexpectedly.
'Hope,' he said. 'She must surely possess all the other virtues.'
'Faith and charity,' Ruan murmured. 'Justice, praise and joy. A woman like that would have to be an angel. I'm sure you don't expect to find for yourself an angel, Mr. Talgarth.'
'The name is Eduard.'
'Eduard,' she said obediently.
He gazed down at her in the spangling of coloured light from the window. 'Don't you think an angel would have me?'
'If she loved you.' Then Ruan drew away from him and went to look at the stone knight who had caught Yseult's attention.
As they drove around the countryside, they were noticed by the people who lived in the moorland cottages. Curtains twitched at the tiny windows and curious eyes watched them go jingling by. Everyone knew that the roving Talgarth had returned, maybe to settle down and take a bride. Would it be one of the young ladies with long, wind-blown hair ... it wasn't quite right for them to be sharing a house with a bachelor, but there had always been a dash of the devil in the Talgarth men!
Speculation was in the wind, carrying across the moors from one cottage to another, and if some of the curiosity reached Eduard, he revealed it only in the deepset twinkle in his eyes.
They drove over the moors to Dozemary Pool, more of a tarn with its still water and the ravens cawing in the stillness. The legend said that from here King Arthur had been rowed to Avalon, the final resting place of Celtic chieftains. Here his great sword had sunk with a last flash of lightning beneath the water of the tarn, and only the ravens and the reeds made any sound as the two girls stood there, awestruck, with Eduard.
'Come!' He took each girl around the waist and the trio hastened away from the haunted pool and scrambled into the jingle with laughter and relief.
'Your Cornwall is very eerie in places,' said Yseult.
'Aye, it's a subtle place with a beauty altogether strange. It's the lover of the sea, whose sons are at once masters of the waves and yet the ocean's loving slaves. You must both come sailing with me in the Halcyone, the small sloop I keep in the bay under the chateau cliffs. She sails like a witch.'
'I was hoping you'd ask us to go sailing with you.'
'Were you, my gilly?' He whistled the pony to a trot and as the jingle carried them over the moorland road the wind tousled Eduard's black hair and stung the girls' cheeks with colour. The sky overhead was a wide arch of silvery blue, and here and there on the moors stood wind-bent trees and splashes of Cornish balm and gold-tipped gorse.
Yes, thought Ruan, this land's beauty was wild and un-tameable, and the subtle charm of the people captivated you before you were aware. The sea was always within sound, beyond a ridge of cliffs, or caught as in a frame at the bottom of a hilly road, its salty tang mingling with the scents of gorse and balm.
Beauty ... and at the same time danger, for more than one ship had broken her back upon the rocks of this coastline, where the luring song of a mermaid seemed to echo in the wind.
Constantine Bay was a picturesque place with its sand towans, and there Eduard told their fortunes in the sand, using his whip-handle and telling them such absurd things that their laughter startled the gulls, the pretty beggars of the scraps left from their lunch of meat pasties.
'Tamarisks.' His eyes were upon them as they swayed in the sea breeze. 'They remind me of the tropics, of walls so sunlit that they took each shadow and etched it into a picture.'
'I believe you would like to go back there and be a lotus-eater, like Gauguin.' Yseult sat near to him, with her knees encircled by her arms.
'He wasn't that entirely, Yseult. He was a primitive, seeking truth beyond the sophistications we have come to regard as necessary. He struck through to the roots of longing deep inside each one of us and created an art almost childlike and yet at the same time as old as creation. He painted people stripped of their finery, which in the end only becomes cobwebs.'
Ruan listened as she stood with her feet in the surf, she watched an oyster-catcher flying low over the water, and she felt again that if Eduard found nothing to hold him to his hard-won heritage he would return to those islands that lay like jewels beyond her reach. She could only imagine their wonder and their peace.
'Look.' He was on his feet in a single supple movement. 'A seal grooming itself on that rock out there!'
'Isn't there a legend that mermaids turn themselves into seals?' Ruan turned her head to look at him, and as his blue eyes flashed over her, taking in her wind-tangled, surf-wet figure, a tingle as from a magnetic charge seemed to run through her. This was a man who had lived on pagan islands and she had a vivid mental picture of him plucking a girl out of the surf - laughing, joyous - and carrying her to a thatched house on stilts.
'You look a mermaid yourself with your dress clinging to your knees, and your hair like a tail.1
'Thanks for the compliment!'
'I'm not being funny.' His drawl was strangely soft. 'Mermaids are creatures of allurement, and sailors are said to be more susceptible to their strange appeal than other men.'
Ruan didn't know what to make of that remark, but she wanted to look away from him - casually - as if she didn't notice how the sea and the sun combined to bring out all that was primitively attractive in the man. His skin was brown in the neck opening of his shirt, and black was his hair, like iron, and broad were the shoulders that had never bowed beneath the tough burdens his life had imposed upon him.
It came as a relief when with a loud splash the seal dived off its perch and swam underwater with a swiftness no human being could match. 'The mermaid is off to her undersea palace,' Ruan laughed, a trifle breathlessly.
'To meet Prince Huldebrand.' Yseult gave a pirouette, her bright hair streaming out from her shoulders. 'This is turning out to be the best holiday I've ever had. Can we go to Camelford tomorrow, where King Arthur had his palace?'
'Anything you wish, my gilly.' Eduard smiled and there was a deep blue light in his eyes that matched the brilliance of the sea ... the two blues burned together.
'You're a super man!' Then in a fit of shyness Yseult bent to pick up a convoluted shell, only to drop it the next instant as something wriggled out of it. It was a tiny crab, scuttling over the sands and diverting Ruan's attention to a pathetic huddle of grey feathers, up near one of the small caves in the cliffside. She went towards it and saw a gull crouched there as if in hiding with a broken wing. Knowing gulls to be notoriously cruel towards injured members of their family, Ruan hurried over to this one to see what she could do to help.
As she was reaching up to the opening, the bird stirred out of its apathy, became alarmed and stabbed at her with its sharp beak.
'Ruan - ' Strong hands seized hold of her, lifted her from the rock on to which she had climbed and set her firmly on the sand.
'That poor bird - it's hurt!'
'I can see that, and I can get hold of it without having an eye pecked out.' All the same Eduard got his wrist gashed as he caught and subdued the gull, which cried like a cat as he carried it to the jingle.
'We'll take it home and Medevil will set the wing. He knows all about wild things ... we once carried an injured pelican on board the Pandora. And another time a baby elephant, which hurt its trunk and had to wear a large bandage on it.'
He held the gull securely, and Ruan took the reins of the pony and drove the jingle home to the chateau. Yseult wanted to hear more about the elephant, a gift from a Thai merchant which they had to give to a zoo when it grew too cumbersome to remain a permanent member of the Pandora's crew. 'A pity, that,' Eduard smiled. 'He was a great help when it came to unloading cargo.'
As soon as they reached home Medevil took charge of the gull, and Ruan suggested that she attend to the gash on Eduard's wrist. It was quite deep and could turn nasty, having come from a wild bird.
'There's a first-aid kit in my studio,' he said, and she walked ahead of him up the winding stairs. Yseult had gone off with Medevil to watch the more interesting operation. The studio was dusky in the late afternoon light and Eduard switched on a lamp and took the kit from a cupboard. He sat on the high stool which he used for his bench modelling, and Ruan was intensely conscious of him as she held his wrist and cleaned the cut with antiseptic. He made no murmur, though it must have stung, and for some odd reason she was the one who winced. She glanced up at him, and he quirked his lip in the lopsided smile she was never quite sure of.
'You have a cool and compassionate touch,' he murmured. 'Have you ever thought of becoming a nurse?'
'Hugh asked me the same thing.' She applied antiseptic plaster to the cut and pressed it gently in place, the strip of pink looking delicate against his- sun-weathered skin. 'Do you think I ought to go in for a career? Maybe nursing might be the answer when this holiday is over and I return to London. Perhaps I could train at the hospital where Hugh operates. I have the feeling he'd like me to-'
'Are you fond of him? Girls are said to be susceptible to medical men.'
'As sailors are to mermaids?' She was smiling, and then her breath caught in her throat as Eduard closed his hands about her waist and pulled her against him. His face looked hard, his eyes were glinting, and a stray lock of hair on his forehead added to his air of recklessness.
'Shall I thank you in the traditional way, Ruan?' His voice was dangerously soft. 'With a kiss after comfort?'

عرض البوم صور darla  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة