قديم 03-12-07, 06:07 PM   المشاركة رقم: 6
المعلومات
الكاتب:

البيانات
التسجيل: Aug 2007
العضوية: 35696
المشاركات: 4,609
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: liilas676 عضو له عدد لاباس به من النقاطliilas676 عضو له عدد لاباس به من النقاط
نقاط التقييم: 128

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
liilas676 غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : darla المنتدى : الارشيف
Thumbs up

I think it's a brilliant idea , as I was hoping that the forum will provide us with this open discussion section, I think it's gonna be a great hit......and thanks for the novel

عرض البوم صور liilas676  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:09 PM   المشاركة رقم: 7
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
التسجيل: Aug 2006
العضوية: 11023
المشاركات: 5,556
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: darla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عالي
نقاط التقييم: 758

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

Marchmellow

:danci ngmonkeyff8:

GREAT ... Excatly we must have one

now i'll start post the novel

Part One
CHAPTER ONE -
IT was all Taffy's fault - he ran into the theatre through an open side door and Ruan had to chase after him. She called urgently to him to come back, but the poodle ran on, his ears flapping like two small flags and his stump of a tail wagging. Taffy had a dash of the adventurer in him, and Ruan could have skinned him as he darted past some blocks of scenery and scampered right across the vast auditorium, giving a bark as from the stage a voice rang out:
Angels and ministers of grace defend us!
Be thou a spirit of health or goblin...?
There the wonderful voice broke off, and as Ruan stepped over some cables she came in sight of the stage and saw a tall figure peering down at the bundle of curly fur who had dared to interrupt a rehearsal of Hamlet in. this famous theatre.
'I'll be blessed, it's a poodle!' a woman laughed, but Ruan's eyes were fixed on the actor who wore a black sweater to his throat and narrow black trousers that made his legs seem even longer as he' came with a supple stride to the edge of the stage and fixed his eyes not upon the little dog but upon Ruan.
His gaze passed over her, whimsical-and startling. His eyes held hers, a smoky grey in his lean face with its chiselled cheekbones. She felt instantly the grace, the power, the spell of the born actor, and a secret shiver ran all through her. She knew he was Tarquin Powers, and yet there was something very human about his ruffled dark hair and the way he suddenly knelt on one knee to look down at her.
'Your pet, I presume?'
'My stepsister's.' Shy of those quizzical grey eyes, Ruan bent down and tucked the truant poodle under her arm. 'Taffy likes to be let off the lead when we reach the grass verge of the river, and he's inquisitive about half-open doors.'
'Aren't we all?' murmured the actor in his deep, exciting voice. 'I imagine the stage-doorkeeper was picking a winner for the three-thirty and he didn't notice you. The pair of you are breaking one of the rules kid down by actors at rehearsal... no visitors.'
'I - I'm dreadfully sorry!'
'Don't be in too much dread.' His smile was a thing of magic, and for the space of a second her heart seemed to stop beating. It was almost unbelievable that she was talking to the star whom a few nights ago she had seen in a drama from a seat in the stalls. Her stepfather always had a box booked for the season, but Ruan loved the theatre for the acting, not as> a. place where it was the smart thing to attend when a famous company were in residence.
'You were tremendous the other evening, Mr. Powers. I saw you in Othello and loved every minute of it.' She smiled shyly at him, while Taffy wriggled in her arms and there was a restless stirring among the other members of the rehearsal.
'We must continue, tovarish.' A tall woman with a mannish haircut and a strong voice stepped forward. 'Tell the matushka to run along home and not play around the stage door again.'
Ruan felt everyone looking at her, amused as if by a child. She certainly wasn't one, despite a wistful, pointed face, and a pair of eyes that held a rare innocence. Her hair was unruly because she had been chasing Taffy.
'Our director speaks and I must obey,' said Tarquin Powers, but there was a dancing light in his eyes and Ruan had the excited feeling that she shared a secret with him. He would have liked to come and stroll beside the Avon with her and the poodle. It was incredible that she should think so, and yet instinct told her that she was right. She saw in his eyes an intrigued look and it half frightened her. He was the leading actor of the play season, who was said to intrigue all women because he eluded the most determined of them.
He glanced at the tall woman, who had spoken to him, and Ruan saw a look of admiration sweep across her rugged features, making them feminine for a moment - Valentinova, the clever stage director who had fled from Russia some years previously. She had a brilliant reputation, and was also rumoured to be a tartar who could make actresses weep and actors curse.
Tarquin Powers seemed to have her at his mercy. 'I am going to say goodbye to the girl and her dog. We may never meet again, radouchka.'
'You are incorrigible!' Valentinova glowered at the other members of the cast, and a girl with lovely fair hair gave a laugh and reminded Ruan of her stepsister, Charme.
'I'll go now...' Ruan backed away from the stage, and in an instant the actor leapt down with athletic agility to join her. She was very aware of his height as he placed an arm around her and Taffy and swept them along the central aisle, out into the foyer, and across to the main doors that opened upon the green and the river. She blinked, -for the theatre had been dimly lit but for the stage lights. Out here in the open the sun was shining and the scents of spring were in the air. The swans preened themselves on the water, and the great theatre towered above her and the man who on its stage could hold sway over the hearts and emotions of those who loved the works of Shakespeare, Shaw, and Ibsen.
'It's like a scene out of Le Lac des Cygnes,' he smiled. 'In a moment the swans will rise to dance for us.'
Ruan looked at him wonderingly, for no one in her family circle spoke as he did; none of her stepsister's friends had so light a touch with words, and the associates of her stepfather never spoke of anything but money.
'The river and the swans are lovely at this time of the year,' she said, and felt that she was very prosaic and dull compared to the people who awaited him in the theatre - especially the pretty actress with the long fair hair.
'Many things are lovely, a tree, a tower, a face glimpsed in a crowd and never forgotten.' His eyes held hers again and his thick lashes made shadows around the brilliant grey irises. He studied her, and then he smiled and made her smile with him. 'A single dimple in your cheek, eh? Is it for pepper or spice?'
She was both amused and confused. No one had ever bothered to say such things to her - and this was Tarquin Powers saying them!
'Do I make you feel shy?' he asked quite seriously.
•You're a famous actor.' She let Taffy out of her arms and he went to the water's edge, where he peered inquisitively at the white swans. 'I'm sorry we interrupted your rehearsal of Hamlet.'
'Have you ever seen it performed?' He lounged with unstudied grace against the pale stone wall of the theatre, a Hamlet figure all in black, his smile tinged with a little whimsical sadness.
She nodded, and knew that she would see his Hamlet and love it for the special reason that he spoke to her, and teased her a little.
'Do you live here at Avendon-upon-Avon, or are you visiting?'
'I live here. It's a lovely place, and I'm very fond of it.'
•Yes.' He swept his gaze over all that could be seen from the theatre. 'If only, though, we could turn back time for an hour and see it as it was in the sixteenth century. Would you like that?'
'It happens, Mr. Powers, when people like yourself transform a stage and speak the words of Shakespeare.'
'Indeed it does.' His eyes took her in, lazily, from her russet hair to her casual red shoes. 'Have you ever wanted to be an actress?'
'Me?' she laughed. 'I have freckles, and I'm shy.'
'Lots of actors are basically shy, miss.'
•Really?' She looked at him large-eyed. 'You seem very self-assured to me.'
'Ah, but you haven't seen me without my mask,' he quipped.
She looked at him uncertainly. Was that face that held strength and sensitivity only a mask? Was that smile put on with an effort? Was that tinge of sadness a clue to the real Tarquin Powers?
'I ... I mustn't hold up your rehearsal any longer,' she said.
'Before you go you must tell me your name.' Before she could move he took her chin in his fingers and tipped her face to the sunlight. 'Strange eyes, the colour of violette des sorciers. A touch of the Celt, unless I'm very much mistaken?'
'M-my name is Ruan Perry.' Her heart was throbbing with an emotion she dared not give a name to, for he was close to her, this stranger, and he was more attractive than anyone she had ever dreamed of knowing.
'Pierrette,' he said at once. 'How could you be called anything else? I wonder, Pierrette, if we shall ever meet again, to speak like this of swans and towers? Do you think it possible?'
She thought it highly impossible, and how her heart throbbed a sad note. 'I shall see you in Hamlet,' she said quietly.
'Yes, come to see me in my mask, Pierrette.' He let her -go, and even as she murmured good-bye he had gone back into the theatre and she was alone once more. She called to Taffy and he came meekly and let her fasten his lead. They had to cross a main road to reach the terrace where she lived with her stepsister and her stepfather. The big house managed by Charme with the help of a couple of efficient maids and a cook. The smart residence with a Jaguar in the drive, and a drawing-room large enough for the parties Charme loved to arrange.
In a week's time she would preside over another to celebrate her birthday - a masked ball which Stephen St. Cyr would pay for and which Charme would revel in.
As Ruan reached the pavement, with Taffy trotting along beside her, she glanced back at the theatre and saw the glint of the river. They were real, and her conversation with Tarquin Powers had been real. She had actually met the man behind the passionately romantic figure of Othello, clad in desert robes, haunting her by his performance for days afterwards.
Strange, how one thought of actors as being different from other people. Only on the stage were they invulnerable, like gods. In reality they were beset by problems like everyone else; they had tiny fears to overcome, and even their crowded lives could be lonely. She was sure that in the handsome grey eyes of Tarquin Powers she had glimpsed certain loneliness.

The St. Cyr house was situated in a road lined with golden laburnum and purple lilac trees. Their house was detached and quite large, with a halfmoon drive, and steps leading up to the polished front door. Fine lace curtains hung at the long windows, and an air of comfort and shiny smugness pervaded the whole place. Ruan never felt at home here. Not even when her mother had been alive had she been, able to feel settled in surroundings so stylized; so much the symbols of a successful Jones keeping up with all the other Joneses of Melisande Terrace.
Just as Ruan mounted the steps and sought her key in the pocket of her short, full skirt, a low-slung car turned into the drive and there was a swish of wheels on gravel as it came to a halt. Ruan watched from the top step as a young man leapt out and opened the passenger door beside Charme St. Cyr. She emerged with an elegant display of long silken legs, and the smile she gave him was the one especially reserved for good-looking males.
'Are you coming in for a drink, Simon, after being so nice as to take me shopping?'
'I'd like nothing better, honey, but I have to show up at the factory for an hour or Dad will disown me.'
Charme laughed, a gay and golden sound that matched her looks. 'Then I'll see you at the Castles' dinner-party this evening?'
'I'll pick you up, Charme.' He took her hand and a tiny smile quirked on Ruan's lips as this lanky young playboy acted the gallant and kissed the elegant hand of her stepsister. Charme was without doubt the reigning beauty of Avendon, and her golden leopard-skin coat was more symbolic of her nature than Simon Fox ever dreamed. He slid into the car, waved and flashed off into the sunlight. Charme came slowly up the steps towards Ruan, and the poodle gave a bark of welcome.
'Hullo, my pet.' It was to the dog that Charme spoke. There was a look of coolness in her gold-flecked hazel eyes as she glanced at Ruan and took in her untidy russet hair. 'You look about sixteen, Ru. Why don't you make some attempt to be more chic, then attractive creatures like Simon might take some notice of you.'
Ruan's smile held the subtle quality of a secret. What would be Charme's reaction if told that Tarquin Powers had talked to her and suggested that her eyes held certain sorcery?
Ruan unlocked the door and Charme swept in ahead of her. The pale panelled walls of the hall, the carpet of sapphire blue and the tasteful modern prints were there to set off Charme's colouring, as was the Regency furnishing and wallpaper of the sitting-room. She dropped her parcels on to the damask sofa and strolled to the sideboard where she poured herself a drink. She slid the leopard coat off her shoulders and stood revealed in a dress of cool rose-coloured silk.
She didn't invite Ruan to join her in a drink, one of the many subtle hints that the younger girl was not truly welcome in this house.
'I know it's your afternoon off from the shop,' she said sharply, not bothering to waste her velvety tones on her stepsister, 'but you might remember that Father and I have a position to uphold in this town and the clothes you're wearing make you look like Orphan Annie. You earn a fair wage at the Antique Shoppe, and my father has always been very generous to you. I'm really going to insist, Ruan, that you smarten up and get your hair coiffured. My friends think you're a joke!"
'I'm glad I provide them with a little amusement,' Ruan said coolly. I've noticed how bored they look at times.'
'You impertinent little devil!' Charme looked at the younger girl with a real flash of hatred in her eyes. 'If it wasn't for my father's goodness of heart you'd be living in a lodging house!'
'I'm perfectly willing to move out,' Ruan tilted her chin. 'It's your father who is against the idea. Each time I've mentioned it, he's talked of my mother and how upset she'd be if she knew. He's afraid people will think he doesn't care about me ... as if they'd even notice! And my poor mother's been dead for five years.'
'It's proof of my father's generosity that he married your mother, and cared for her and her love-child.'
The words were like little whips and Ruan flinched from them, the weapon Charme had used ever since her discovery that Ruan's lovely Irish mother had loved unwisely, and had married Stephen St. Cyr almost out of desperation when Ruan was seven and there were already signs of the heart trouble that in the end had killed Catrina. She had been so gay and brave. St. Cyr had lost his head over her, a widower with a daughter three years older than Ruan. He had saved Catrina from the drudgery of working as a domestic, and for that Ruan was grateful to him. Because of the few years of ease and comfort he had given her mother, she was willing to live at the villa and bear with Charme's unfriendliness.
Charme couldn't understand someone who liked to be by herself - a Barrie creature of the woods and the river, quiet and self-contained, with no feverish need for the admiration of other people, especially men.
The stepsisters faced each other, and when Ruan's eyes didn't waver, Charme gave a shrug and finished off her drink. 'I hope you're going to make an effort to look attractive at my birthday masque. I've invited everyone who is anyone, and that includes an important business associate of Father's who is coming all the way from Cornwall. I should have liked him to stay here at the villa, but he's booked himself rooms at the Bard and Harp. A very determined man, from all accounts.'
Ruan wasn't really listening. The friends and acquaintances of the St. Cyrs were not her kind of people, and she lost the drift of what Charme was saying as she stood, half-turned to the window, and dwelt on her encounter with the grey-eyed actor who had wondered whimsically if they would ever meet again.
At that moment the telephone rang and she felt a sense of relief as her stepsister left the room to answer it. She could hear her voice in the hall, gay and charming again, as she spoke to someone called Mr. Talgarth. 'So you've arrived already? How nice! Yes, Avendon is an attractive little town, and without a doubt our theatre is very famous and attracts some of the best companies. Oh, I'm sure you would enjoy going ... Father has a box booked for the season and you must join us! Please come to dinner on Friday evening, and we'll go directly to the Mask Theatre afterwards. Yes, a Shakespearean production. Are you a fan of the Bard? But of course I am, Mr. Talgarth. Who isn't?'
A little smile quirked on Ruan's lip as she caught the drift of the conversation. She knew very well that Charme preferred the lighter type of play; the quick thrust and parry of a Coward or a Rattigan. She liked to sit decor-atively in her father's box at the theatre, and her basic lack of response to the magic of the plays was a distraction Ruan couldn't bear. This was one of the reasons why she chose" to sit in the stalls to watch, to enjoy, to become lost hi a world she understood without any effort. It was as if the Celt in her was attuned to the mystery and the wonder of it. Avendon was congenial, and life with the St. Cyrs was bearable, because from April to September of every year this riverbank theatre was transformed into a world of escape for Ruan Perry.
She was on her way upstairs to her room when Charme called up to her: 'Will you be going out Friday evening?' Ruan turned to gaze down at her stepsister, who was a picture of elegance in her deceptively simple dress. 'I have a seat for the Mask. I can eat at the Old Mill Loft if you'd like me to.'
'That would simplify matters, darling.' Charme could always switch on the charm when getting her own way. 'I've invited that Cornish friend of Father's to dine here, and as Simon Fox will be joining us, it will make a neat foursome.'
'Three men to one woman,' Ruan quipped, with that light touch of mischief that made Charme's eyes go narrow, like a pretty cat's.
'You would be in the way," she said pointedly. 'A state of affairs I'm accustomed to.' Ruan continued on her way up the stairs. 'I'll make myself scarce and eat at the Mill. As it happens I'm looking forward to Friday evening.'
'For any particular reason?' Charme's laughter floated up the well of the staircase. 'Don't tell me you have a date?' Charme's definition of a date was an arranged meeting with a young man about town who would take her to the smartest restaurant and then to a show or a party. She wouldn't understand the quiet pleasure it would give Ruan to watch Tarquin Powers on the stage and be ******* to have spoken a few words with him. Charme would scoff and rob the meeting of its magic. 'You must have embarrassed him,' she would say, 'crashing in on their rehearsal like a clumsy schoolgirl. What's he like? Usually these actors are far older off-stage, and not nearly as handsome as they look in make-up and a flattering costume.'
'Yes, I have a date,' she fibbed from the stairs, just for the satisfaction of seeing her stepsister look amazed and curious. Then before Charme could ask his name (she knew everyone in town) Ruan hastened away to her room, her small oasis of books, deep window seats, and a record-player.
She put on a Chopin nocturne and sat in a window seat to listen and to dream a little. She wasn't a girl given to wildly romantic longings, but as she touched her cheek and felt the dimple that had no companion in her other cheek, her smile grew wistful. 'For pepper or for spice?' he had asked.

Ruan had a busy day at the shop on Friday; the tourist season was beginning and people from home and abroad were: beginning to flock to Warwickshire. They came not only for the plays and the actors they could see at Stratford, and at the historical Mask at Avendon, but the wonderful old castle drew them. Avendon lay between Stratford and the castle, so it had become a stopping place for lunch and a stroll round the town with its timbered houses and quaint shops. Americans were particularly fond of buying mementoes of their visit, and of taking pictures with their movie cameras. They brought colour and gaiety into Avendon, and as the antique shop was part of a restaurant, known as the Lemon House and famous for many years for its pastries, Ruan was entertained by their talk, and also kept busy selling them the English antiques that were quite genuine.
Avendon prided itself on being less commercial than Stratford, and it was a fact that the more discerning visitors came here and found not only an attractive town, but a high standard of performance at the theatre that carried over its portal a mask of tragedy looking left, and a mask of comedy looking to the right.
To the right lay the river, where plum trees dripped their blossom over the Weir Bridge. Ruan loved it just there, and was well acquainted with the shady path-^that led to the Old Mill Loft, where she often ate a solitary dinner and watched the water rushing by over the wheel that was part of the charm of the place.
The waiter led her to a table tucked into a window alcove, and she was deciding what to order when her eye was caught by a trio of people seated a few tables away from her. Her heartbeats quickened. There was no mistaking that dark head, held with assurance and something of pride. There was no other profile quite the same as that of Tarquin Powers, no one else would wear a mulberry velvet jacket with such an air of lazy distinction.
She was struck by seeing him; it was somehow fateful, and yet she knew that actors from the Mask came to the Mill to sample its oysters and lager. The tradition was as old as the legend of the Bard.
'Oh-' She found the waiter giving her a grin, as if amused by a young girl's worship of a famous actor; one who had joined the International Company for their eight weeks at Avendon, and who would afterwards make a film in Italy or Greece, or fly to New York for a play directed by one of the giants of Broadway. Like other famous actors he probably found it *******ing and a stimulant to escape from the world of starry glitter to the true theatre, based on the Avon, where he could .learn again some of the lessons and disciplines lost in the modern theatre.
'He's sampling our oysters,' murmured the waiter. 'Not that they're like the ones we sold in the old days. Refrigerated, miss. That's why we can serve 'em out of season.'
The Mill was said to have been a favourite supper haunt of Ellen Terry and Irving, and Ruan smiled, far more understanding of tradition than the usual run of nineteen-year-olds.
'I'll have steak and chips, please,' she decided. 'With a glass of lager.'
'Yes, miss.' The waiter ambled away and Ruan war able, from her alcove, to gaze almost unseen at Tarquin Powers and the two people who dined with him. One of them was the girl of the theatre, who with her tilted nose and long amber eyes had the look of an impish cat. The other man at the table was showing her how to prise an oyster from its shell, and Tarquin Powers watched lazily, the cleft down his cheek indicating that he was amused, perhaps charmed by the pretty actress.
Ruan leaned her chin on her hand and wondered what it felt like to be thought pretty and amusing by a man so favoured by the gods. A little sigh drifted from her lips; she felt sure in that moment that she was one of those destined to be a looker-on, an observer of the loves and dramas of other people.
Strange that she had never cared before; never sighed until lately for the unattainable.
Th6 waiter brought her steak and chips, and a slim glass of lager, and she was eating when the actors arose to leave the Mill to prepare for their evening performance at the Mask. It was then that Tarquin Powers glanced towards the alcove in which Ruan was half hidden. It was then that their eyes met again, as if he had sensed her quiet, unassuming presence - a pierrot of a girl in a beret worn sideways, and a kid jacket with a collar of lambswool.
He was so tall, so dark, standing there. And he recognized her. A smile quirked on his lips and a couple of strides brought him to her table.
'It's Pierrette,' he said. 'The girl with the poodle!'
'Yes.' Her smile was shy; without Taffy to hold like a shield against this man she was helplessly exposed to his attraction, to the wonder that he should speak to her again, remember her.
'Eating all alone?' A black brow arched, as if he failed to understand why she was alone. He glanced at her glass of lager, and when he met her eyes again there was a tiny grave smile in them. 'Do you like your own company, Pierrette?' he asked.
'I'm used to it,' she replied, and hoped she didn't sound too sorry for herself. 'I mean, one's own company is better than feeling de trap among people who don't like or under-stand the same things.'
'Yes, I know what you mean,' he said.
She looked at him, and saw beyond his shoulder the couple he had dined with. 'Do hurry, Quin!' called out the girl, and she stared at Ruan with recognition, while her companion glanced at his wristwatch and muttered something.
'You'd better go or you'll be late on cue,' Ruan smiled brightly, and knew there would always be someone to call Tarquin Powers away from her. 'Are you booked for tonight's play?' he asked. 'Of course,' she said. 'I wouldn't want to miss you as Petruchio.'
'I hope you enjoy the knockabout.' His smile flashed. 'And now I'd better go or my stage Kate will start throwing things at me before the play begins! Au'voir, Pierrette.'
'Good-bye, Mr. Powers.'
He quirked an eyebrow, and then he strode off and a moment later he and his fellow actors had left the Mill, and Ruan felt the sudden loneliness of her own company. She drank her lager and finished her meal, then sat on a while gazing out of the window at the dusky garden where the old wheel turned and the sound of water rippled and ran.
Still she could see his face as he had stood beside her table, gallant enough to remember her. She could from memory have drawn his features, virile, and yet with the added appeal of the ascetic about his temple, jawline and lips. He was a subtle mixture, she thought. Maybe that was why he found time to speak to her; to look at her as if she intrigued him because she was so different from the people with whom he worked and took his leisure.
A little thrill ran through her. He was nice. There was kindness in him, and seeing him close to had not dispelled his fascination.
She paid her bill, and her eyes shone eagerly as she made her way to the theatre. It was agleam with tights that reflected in the river, and over the marquee shone the names of the actors appearing in tonight's production of The Taming Of The Shrew.
Excitement quickened in Ruan. As she hurried towards the foyer of the Mask she had the strangest sensation of walking towards her fate. She laughed low in her throat, a gamine figure in her beret and short kidskin jacket over a slim short skirt. Her legs were long and slender beneath the hem, and her feet were clad in her comfortable scarlet casuals. She was picking up the temperament of stage people, she thought. Seeing symbols in the water; portents in a word, or a glance.
People were emerging out of their cars, and out of the shadows, a stream of gaiety and talk heading for the theatre, some of them pausing to look at the pictures and posters outside the Mask. There was a huge one of Tarquin Powers, clad in the doublet and hose of Petruchio, with a gleam of the devil in his fine eyes.
'Isn't he attractive?' exclaimed a woman.
'H'm, devilish good actor,' grunted a male voice, as if this excused to some extent the gift of a striking face. 'Saw him in that revival of Dear Brutus at that modernized theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue. Liked it, Yes, enjoyed it nearly as much as Coward years ago in The Constant Nymph.'
Ruan listened and smiled and felt that warm sense of being among people who understood good acting and appreciated the people who gave pleasure on the stage. After all, it was supremely hard work. Actors, somehow, had to be stronger, more co-ordinated, and dedicated to their art. If they looked upon acting as just a means of getting rich, then they never ranked really high with playgoers, who sensed instinctively whom to idolize.
Ruan entered the brightly lit foyer, rather antique and exciting with its cupids and its gilt rosettes, its mirrors and little gold chairs set against the walls. To the right and left of the foyer rose the staircases that led to the dress-circle and the boxes, and Ruan had taken her ticket from her pocket and was making for the swing-doors that led into the auditorium when her gaze fell upon a group of people standing and talking near the right-hand staircase. She knew the silver-haired figure who gestured a lot, and the lanky young man who stood admiring Charme in her white dress with its fine tracery of golden leaves, matching the colour of her hair and the half-wrap of soft fur that she carried over her arm. Ruan didn't recognize the man who dominated the group by his height, his darkness, and the formidable strength of his features. He wore his smart dress suit with a bold assurance, and there was a gleam of onyx at his cuff as he lifted his hand and drew upon a cheroot. He must be the visitor from Cornwall, and even as this fact registered, Ruan was aware that the group had noticed her and that Talgarth was looking at her with vivid blue eyes ... like a Celtic twilight. They startled because they were so in contrast to his black lashes and brows. Eyes that saw a great deal ... perhaps too much for the comfort of the person he looked upon.
'Ruan!' It was her stepfather who spoke, and she caught the note of irritation in his voice, saw his nostrils go thin as he surveyed her in her gamine attire, about to enter the theatre through the door that led to the stalls. He beckoned and she couldn't do anything else but obey the command of his thin hand. Stephen St. Cyr was a lean silvery greyhound of a man, whose look of fragility was as deceptive as his daughter's spun-gold charm.
'Child,' St. Cyr caught at her hand and pulled her into the group. There was a strange eagerness about the gesture, though his eyes continued to flash their annoyance that she should be dressed so indifferently. He was a man who set great store by appearances. It gave him intense pleasure that his daughter Charme was so good-looking and had superb dress sense.
His thin fingers tightened on Ruan's as he turned to smile at the man who towered above him, and Simon Fox. Simon was looking at Charme and there was a smile about his lips.
'Eduard, I'd like you to meet my other daughter,' St. Cyr said fulsomely. 'This is the child I was telling you about. Her dear mother was the loveliest Irish girl, and so tragic really. I managed to make her happy for a few short years, but in the end she faded like the wild flower she was. Being a Celt yourself, Eduard, you no doubt believe in destiny?'
'I believe without being devoted to the idea,' said Talgarth dryly. His eyes were upon Ruan, who was impatient to get away, to fly through those swing-doors that led to the stage, where at any moment the curtains would open upon Padua and the magic of the play.
'I am happy to know you, Miss Perry.' The voice was arresting, drawing Ruan's eyes to the rugged face, with a hint of great passion about the mouth. He reminded her of high stony cliffs, she thought, and she hovered beneath his glance and his strong shoulders like a moth on the edge of taking wing.
'I'm pleased to have met you, Mr. Talgarth." She shook his hand hurriedly, cast a rather defiant glance at her stepfather, and then was darting away and calling back over her shoulder ... 'I don't want to miss anything. Perhaps I shall see you all after the play...'
As she breezed through the swing-doors, she noticed that Talgarth took a pull at his cheroot with a look of total unconcern. 'Really!' said Charme, and Ruan knew that later on she would receive a severe scolding from her stepsister. It wasn't that she meant to be impolite, but she wasn't going to miss Tarquin Powers' entrance on stage for the sake of chatting with a friend of Charme's. They rarely noticed that she was alive, anyway.
She found her seat and waited expectantly for the curtain to rise. The auditorium was large and held quite a number of people, and again, as on the other evening she had been here, there was a sense of excitement and tension in the air, only palpable when playgoers anticipated a performance out of the ordinary.
Ruan was secretly thrilled by what she sensed in the atmosphere of the Mask. These rows of people in their red plush seats were tensed up to see Tarquin Powers, attuned to the magic that he possessed as an actor; a power that was also luminous, so that on stage he seemed at once very vital and yet of another world. He could be loved but never possessed. He was alone, and yet he knew the way to touch other people. He could beguile them, and he could hold them at his mercy ... some critics had gone as far as to say that the ghost of Garrick lived in this twentieth-century actor who was only thirty-two; who was of Huguenot descent, and the son born late to Margo Powers, the poetess and clairvoyant.
As people whispered and the tenseness increased with each stirring of the crimson curtains that hung from the proscenium arch, with its Janus mask that wept and smiled at the same time, Ruan glanced up at one of the ornate theatre boxes to the right of the stage.
Charme and the three men had taken their seats, and Ruan noticed that the Cornish visitor to Avendon was looking around the theatre with a great deal of interest. Charme spoke to him, and he smiled briefly in return. He seemed a strange friend for the St. Cyrs to have, and Ruan supposed they had met him during that trip they had taken to Penzance a few weeks ago. Stephen St. Cyr was in business as a land and estate agent, and he travelled quite a bit. Often on his return from one of these trips he was all smiles and redolent of expensive cigar smoke. Around the beginning of the year he had been personally responsible for a sale of land running close to a million pounds. The commission had bought the small cabin-cruiser which he and Charme had gone to Cornwall to view.
Had they bought the boat off Eduard Talgarth? Somehow he had the look of a sailor. Men with penetrating blue eyes always reminded one of the sea.
Then it was that those blue eyes found her in the stalls of the theatre. They were like a stab of blue lightning, raking her face and recognizing her as the girl who had been impolite to him. He looked as if he wouldn't forget it in a hurry, and a little shiver ran through Ruan. She hoped she wouldn't run into him too often at the villa, or around Avendon. He seemed alien to the place; as if he belonged among rocks and the lash of high waves, and was dangerous to cross.
Ruan glanced at Charme, a cool and elegant picture in her expensive dress. Was her stepsister taken with the man?
If so, then it was a surprise to Ruan. Charme usually liked men she could order about, and Eduard Talgarth looked every inch his own master!
Her speculations went no further, for in that moment the music quickened from the orchestra pit, and there was a silken swish as the stage curtains opened and the theatre lights dimmed.
Ruan's heart beat fast. She forgot instantly the dark stranger in the box overhead. She saw only the stage, the scenery, the actors in their colourful costumes. She lived only for the moment when Tarquin Powers would make his appearance as Petruchio; a man apart, more handsome and vital than other men, and yet real to her because he had smiled at her, spoken to her, given her the name of Pierrette.
It hadn't been a dream that there had been a promise in his eyes of finding her again in Avendon.
But it didn't happen that night. After the last curtain call, after the warm applause had died away, the star was besieged at the stage door. Ruan lost sight of him in the crowd of Jans, and with a smile she tucked her lambswool collar about her face and made her way home in a soft rain. In the drive of the house stood a black Lancia, evidently owned by the man she was out to avoid. She stole round to the kitchen entrance and luckily the door was not yet bolted and she had a key. She let herself in very quietly, drank a glass of milk ice cool from the fridge, then tiptoed past the lounge to the staircase.
She heard the rumble of a deep voice, caught the clink of coffee cups and the ripple of Charme's laughter.
Mr. Eduard Talgarth was indeed being made welcome at the villa! Ruan nibbled one of the cream crackers she was taking up to bed, and decided to be soundly asleep when Charme came upstairs. After the magic of seeing Tarquin Powers she didn't feel like being scolded over the stranger from Cornwall

عرض البوم صور darla  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:11 PM   المشاركة رقم: 8
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: darla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عاليdarla عضو ذو تقييم عالي

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

Dancing2

CHAPTER TWO
IT was the evening of Charme St. Cyr's birthday party and all was excitement at the house on Melisande Terrace. Coloured lights were strung out round the drive, and the members of a small orchestra had just arrived with their musical instruments. The buffet was laid in the lounge, where the drinks would also be served. The drawing-room had been denuded of its furniture and the floor prepared for dancing. The french doors were open to the garden, where more fairy lights were strung out round the trees, glimmering on the clusters of lilac and laburnum.
Charme was delighted that it was a fine evening, and enchanted with her costume, which was made in the style of an eighteenth-century court dress. Her mask, which she had just unwrapped, was a genuine antique with a jewelled handle ... a gift from the dark-browed, rather dangerous-looking new friend who had come all the way from Cornwall to attend the party. Each guest had been asked to come in fancy costume. Ruan had helped to send out most of the invitations, but a few more had been dispatched on Saturday and Charme had been rather mysterious about them.
Ruan raised the jewelled mask to her eyes and studied Charme through the openings. She wondered again where Eduard Talgarth fitted into Charme's plans. 'You look odd!' Her stepsister almost snatched the mask from her hand. 'Be a pet and take Taffy for a run. I've been so rushed off my feet I haven't had time to spare" for him.'
Ruan found the poodle under the piano, barking at one of the members of the orchestra. 'That pooch is no lover of music,' growled the young man.
Ruan thought it diplomatic not to remark that Taffy adored Chopin and was also partial to Ivor Novello's music. She tucked him under her arm and was going out of the front door as her stepfather entered.
'Where are you off to, Ruan?'
'Charme asked me to take Taffy for a run.'
'Is she excited?' Stephen St. Cyr broke into a fond smile. •Well, don't be too long. The party begins at eight-thirty.'
She nodded. 'The fairy lights look nice.'
'Yes, child.' A lean hand fondled Taffy. 'Talgarth will be at the party, Ruan. I'd like you to be - friendly. He's rather a personage down there across the Tamar, and I was rather annoyed the other evening by the way you ran away from the chap. You mustn't be frightened of men, Ruan. You mustn't let your mother's mistake ... well, you understand what I mean. We don't want you to end up as a spinster,' he laughed, his eyes flicking the russet hair that hung straight to Ruan's shoulders, the same colour as her mother's had been. 'You aren't unattractive, you know. You have a certain elfin appeal that some men like.'
Ruan was struck a little sideways by this conversation. Her stepfather had never said before that she had any ornamental value. 'I promise not to clutter up any of your shelves, Stepfather,' she said lightly. 'I'll move out if I look like being in the way.'
'Ruan!' His pale-blue eyes took on a glitter. 'Now that's no way to talk to me. I have your best interests at heart.'
He didn't bully her quite as much as Charme, she admitted to herself. 'I'll give Taffy a run by the river and I'll hurry back to the party,' she promised.
He nodded, and she felt him watching her as she ran down the steps with Taffy bounding at her heels. Her stepfather was certainly keen on Eduard Talgarth being made welcome at the villa, which must mean that the Cornish-man was well off and maybe a good prospect as a son-in-law. Charme wouldn't marry for love, in Ruan's estimation. She would place worldly considerations before romantic ones, having always given the impression that love itself was elemental and uncivilized.
Ruan strolled along beside the river and she couldn't help wondering what the dark Cornishman's views were on love... he looked, himself, rather elemental.
From across the river she could see the lighted theatre, and she hoped ardently that she might again have the good fortune to speak to Tarquin Powers. Right now he would be in his dressing-room preparing for Arms And The Man, in which he played the role of Sergius. Ruan would have loved to see him in the Shaw play, but she didn't dare play truant from Charme's party.
It was a little crazy of her to feel so romantically about a charming stranger, but she couldn't fight the magic of it. It was so thrilling that such a man should notice her, smile at her, and say a few kind words. It would be something to remember when he left Avendon ... but right now she had become aware that a sports car had drawn into a nearby kerb, and that the driver was steadily watching her as she stood in the gloaming while Taffy chased a large moth. The man's face was in shadow, but Ruan felt the impact of his gaze.
And then to her dismay Taffy darted towards the parked car and she had to turn and call him. She saw the man fully then. He was leaning slightly forward, talking to Taffy, who was wagging his stumpy tail in friendly recognition.
Ruan's dismay increased, strangely enough, as she recognized that dark and vigorous Celtic face; that iron-dark hair, fitting close like a helmet. Her hair blew against her cheek as she looked at him, and she saw that Taffy was on the step of the car, up on his hind legs and fondling with his nose the lean hand of Eduard Talgarth.
'Good evening, Miss Perry,' he said. 'The Mask Theatre seems to have a fascination for you. Are you stage-struck?'
There was the trace of a smile on his lips, and it seemed to her that he mocked her.
'I bring Taffy here to have a run round the trees,' she said stiffly. 'Avendon is a town and it's a mile or so to the open country.'
'You should see Cornwall - Taffy would go delirious let loose on the moors. Miles of them, covered in heather high • enough to hide a girl, let alone a poodle.'
'I'm afraid I shall never have the pleasure, Mr. Talgarth, of hiding myself in Cornish heather.'
'Who can tell what may happen, Ruan Perry, to make you want things you may never have dreamed of wanting? Life can play strange tricks on people, but you're too young to know about that.'
'I'm nineteen, and I've always known that life can be sad, Mr. Talgarth.'
He nodded, as if he remembered what St. Cyr had said about her mother. 'One finds compensations for the loss of something loved - is yours the theatre? You're fond of it^ aren't you?'
'Yes.' She spoke shortly, for she didn't wish this conver-sation with a friend of Charme's to veer in any way towards Tarquin Powers. What a joke, what an amusing incident to laugh over! Funny little Ruan, all aglow because an actor threw her a smile and a few words ... crumbs from the banquet he probably shared with his lovely leading ladies.
'I must be getting home .... the party will have begun and I'm not even dressed for it!' She bent to fasten Taffy's lead, and as she did so Eduard Talgarth opened the car door and the poodle skipped inside and jumped on the spacious front seat. 'Really!' Ruan glanced up and met the dominating eyes that held hers as he pushed the door a little wider.
'You might as well jump in, child,' he said. 'I'm going to the party and we'll both get there a little quicker if you'll stop disliking me for five or ten minutes. Come on, force yourself!'
She flushed, and at any other time she would have marched off independently and left him to drive the poodle home. But it was growing late, and the habit of conciliating Charme was too strong to be ignored on her birthday. She slipped into the car and felt the give of the leather seat, the brush of Talgarth's arm as he closed the door. He started the Lancia and they swung out of the layby on to the road, and he headed in the direction of Melisande Terrace.
Taffy sat erect between the two of them, and the evening breeze felt cool against Ruan's cheeks. She half-turned to gaze back at the theatre, and then remembered the shrewd glint in Talgarth's eyes when he had asked if she was stage-struck. 'You aren't wearing fancy costume,' she said. 'Charme wanted everyone to come in masquerade-•'
'I'm not the sort for dressing-up,' he drawled. 'Your sister will have to excuse me on the grounds that I'm from the wilds of Cornwall and that I don't go to many parties.'
'She'll make you wear a mask,' Ruan warned. 'We're all to be masked until the stroke of midnight.'
'I'll submit to being masked,' a smile creased his cheek. 'In any case most people wear a sort of "mask" a good deal of the time. It's rare to come across someone who is completely guileless.'
'If people weren't a little secretive,' said Ruan, 'then they'd be much less interesting.'
'Wise child!' He looked directly at her, a look that lasted but a second and yet left her with the vivid impression of a man who was very deep, and capable of many things... including kidnap.
•You've driven past the terrace where I live!' she exclaimed.
'Ah, so I have.' Traffic was quiet along the High Street, so he backed the car and swung it expertly into Melisande Terrace, with its detached villas all looking rather alike until they came to the one with the fairylit drive and several cars already parked there. There was a sound of dance music. The party had begun.
'I'd better go in through the back way.' Ruan pressed the lever that opened the car door and as she slid from the seat she felt Eduard Talgarth's sea-blue eyes upon her. The wind had ruffled his hair and a dark strand was caught upon the peak of his left eyebrow; always raised in that slightly wicked way. A trace of a smile was on the lips that somehow belied the hard, cool authority of the rest of his face,
He wasn't a man who could be called handsome, but the very strength of his features, that touch of the relentless, made him far from easy to forget. He was like the Cornish corsairs of long ago; the smugglers who brought brandy and laces from Brittany, to hide in the water-lashed caves that had stone passages leading to dark old mansions on the cliff tops.
Those dark, lawless seamen had to be part of the history of Talgarth, for he had sailed the oceans of the world himself, a skipper who had dealt in all sorts of wares, some of them exotic, some of them contraband. Charme had told her, 'He's retired from the sea to a house in Cornwall that used to belong in his family years ago. A strange place, they say, the people down in Penzance. A sort of French-styled house called the Chateau of St. Avrell. There was a French prince who fled from a rebellion. He was said to have built it for the French girl he hoped to marry. Eduard's mother came from Brittany.'
'What sort of costume are you wearing for the masquerade?' he asked dryly, as if he thought her a child who would enjoy disguise.
'You mustn't ask, Mr. Talgarth.' She was out of the car, and Taffy came reluctantly to her call. 'That's part of the fun, guessing who is who.'
'Perhaps I should have worn a scarlet scarf around my forehead.' His eyes taunted, as if he knew her thoughts of him. 'Would that have been appropriate ?'
'Yes,' she said frankly. 'You would make a very good pirate.'
'They weren't good, Ruan Perry. They took what belonged to other people.'
She had a mental picture of Simon Fox, who had been courting her stepsister for almost a year, but it was really none of her business if this stranger came all the way from Cornwall with the intention of running off with Charme. When he saw her tonight in her court dress, he would want all the more to install her at the Chateau of St. Avrell. He was probably quite rich, and Charme's evaluation of herself was that she was beautiful enough, and charming enough, to rate a man of means. 'I must go in!' Ruan ran and Taffy chased at her heels.

By eleven-thirty the house was packed with people. They were dancing in a crush in the drawing-room, seated in couples up the staircase, eating sandwiches and cake off paper plates. Some were out in the garden, masked figures laughed among the trees. The party was an enormous success, and many of the costumes were inventive and amusing.
One man stood just inside the open french doors of the lounge. He wore a Hungarian tunic buttoned at the shoulder, narrow dark trousers and topboots. A red-lined cloak hung in dashing folds around his tall lean figure, and a mask of black velvet concealed most of his face.
Ruan couldn't take her eyes from him. She was at the buffet table, a sausage roll in one hand and a Coke in the other. She wore the costume of a pierrette, with her hair tucked under a peaked cap, and a silver mask across her eyes. A little halfmoon of silver was affixed to the dimple in her left cheek.
Slowly she took a bite from her sausage roll. She looked a shy little clown as she stood alone, and her heart began to beat fast as the cloaked figure moved and began to thread his way through the chattering groups of people to where she stood. He came to her, deliberately, inexorably, and she knew him with every nerve in her young body.
'I feel the same as you,' his voice was deep and warm above her head. 'Sausage rolls are irresistible.'
She knew that mobile hand, that bloodstone ring on the middle finger, the magic of his voice. As he took a roll and bit it in half, she broke into a smile. 'It's you!' she whispered, in a kind of wonder. 'At your service, Pierrette.' He gave her a gallant bow. 'Mmmm, excellent sausage rolls. I think I'll have another. Tackling Shaw's verbal acrobatics for a couple of hours always give me an appetite, and along with Ann Destry and her fiancé, and one or two others, I came straight from the theatre without bothering to change. It said on the invitation cards that the party was to be in fancy costume, so here you see me - Sergius!'
The party for Ruan was suddenly lit up with stars and fanfares. She hadn't dreamed that her stepsister had invited Tarquin Powers and other members of the company to her birthday masque, and it was a wonderful surprise. Unintentional, of course, for Charme had no idea that the actor had struck up an acquaintance with Ruan.
'I'm sure you'd like something stronger than a Coke,' she said, and smiling, she led him round the table to where the bottles of wine, vodka and whisky stood in a rather depleted cluster. 'Help yourself, tovarich.'
He laughed and his eyes were upon her as he helped himself to vodka and tossed it back in the appropriate manner. 'I'd better not toss the glass in the fireplace, eh?'
She smiled and shook her head, and her eyes were held by his through the openings of his black velvet mask. 'I just live here,' she said, and then a gasp escaped her as he swept his arm around her waist and suggested that they dance. The drawing-room was packed and all they could do was shuffle about on the same spot. But that in itself was exciting. It meant that she was close to Tarquin, and she was thrilled, shocked, by her response to him. When he spoke to her, his lips close to her ear because of the din, she felt herself defenceless, at the mercy of something she should fight. He was Tarquin Powers, not a boy from Avendon, with whom it would be cosy and right to fall in love.
Love ... even as the word shook her heart, she caught Charme's eye and tried to look as if she hadn't a clue to the identity of her dashing partner. Charme was standing with her Cornish guest, who had permitted himself to be masked but who stood out like a rock in a garden in his sober dark evening suit. He looked directly at Ruan and she knew from the thoughtful raising of his left eyebrow that he recognized her partner. He had a seaman's eyes, penetrating even through a mask, and trained to see further than other people. What did he see right now, a foolish young girl falling in love with a man she could never hope to hold?
'Let's get away from the crowd!' Tarquin danced her through the french doors, thrown wide open to let in the evening air. There was a narrow terrace and three steps to the garden, and his fingers held hers as they strolled down a path and came to a halt beneath a lilac tree, purple-flowered but with a grassy tang.
'It's a lovely spring night, Pierrette.' He drew aside a cluster of lilac so the new moon could shine through. 'Have you ever wanted to swing in the cradle of the moon, for it's there that a pierrot belongs, far above the crowd, a little sad and also rather charming.'
'I'm glad you like my costume, Mr. Powers.'
'You mustn't be formal with me, Pierrette'. His eyes laughed down into hers. 'You must call me Quin, which is what I prefer to be called when I step off the boards.'
The fair girl had called him Quin, and suddenly she remembered what he had said, that Ann Destry had come to the party with her fiancé. Lovely as she was, and Tarquin's stage lover, she had no place in his private life except as a friend!
'Would you very much mind,' Ruan crushed the lilac -in nervous fingers, 'if I called you Tarquin? I... I rather like the name.'
'You may call me whatever you like,' he said amusedly. 'The stage is littered with darlings and pets, and some women have been known to call me a brute.'
'Oh, but why?' Ruan couldn't believe that he could ever deserve such a name.
'For various reasons,' he said, a quirk of a smile on his lips. 'Romantic actors are supposed to be great flirts, on and off the stage.' 'And you are a flirt?'
'No, Ruan.' Now he spoke seriously, and his brilliant eyes held hers with their deep humour, their whimsicality, their love of the acting art itself. Suddenly a laughing couple chased by them, ran around the tree and cut between them. Tarquin raised his hand and slipped his mask from his face; the moonlight was upon it and she saw that his fine features were rather tense.
'Let's get out of this madhouse,' he said. 'Where can we go?'
'Out through the side door ... it's only five minutes' walk to the river.'
'Then come on!'
'Can we go like this?' She was laughing a little as she removed her pierrot's cap and her hair tumbled about her face.
*Yes, why not?' He caught hold of her hand and they fled from Charme's party, leaving behind them the lights and the laughter; walking quickly away from the house, almost with urgency, as if there was so little time for them to be alone; only these brief pauses between their separate lives.
'You don't mind if I kidnap you?' He looked down at her as they paused at a kerb to let a car swish by. It had rained a little, but now the air was soft and cool and moonlit.
She shook her head, and thought briefly of that other man who looked capable of running off with a girl. Other girls, never Ruan, yet here she was at midnight, her hair streaming out behind her as Tarquin ran her across the road towards the silver-dark glint of the river. A lone white swan glided by like a ghost - a restless, lonely swan perhaps, who wasn't sleepy enough to join its mate on the little island where the birds slept.
Ruan shivered a little, with excitement more than cold, and Tarquin took off his cloak and draped it around her, and she didn't dare to meet his eyes. His hands as they touched her seemed like the hands of a lover, but it would be folly to let herself dream that he wanted more than a confidante, someone to talk to of swans and towers. 'There!' He clasped the cloak, and they walked beside the river and the theatre stood dark and silent across the water and they were the only disturbers of the peace. The lone swan made no sound, pale neck bent as it glided, a Pavlova of the moonlight.
'What does it feel like,' she asked, 'to walk out on a stage in front of a thousand people?'
'Terrifying,' he said at once. 'Always in those first few moments it's a kind of hell, like judgment day. Even the most seasoned actor is sure he will forget his lines, stumble over something, be out of accord with the mood of the playgoers. The intense relief when you begin to speak, the joy of it when you begin to feel those first ripples of warmth rising towards you from the auditorium - it's tangible, Ruan, like the salt in sea-air. An actor senses it with his nostrils, and then he knows with all his nerves that he has captured a thousand souls in the net of the play. It's a wonderful feeling then. You want nothing else. You touch the stars."
'It's like Lawrence's description of love,' she smiled. '"Splendour, pride, assumption, glory and lordship."'
'Exactly like that, Ruan.'
They paused to gaze across at the theatre, his world which she could only enter as a visitor, as a lover of the play. Yet when she looked at him in the moonlight, his profile outlined in all its clarity against the deep violet sky, she knew that she loved him beyond the play; from the moment she had heard him speak, touching her heart that yearned for something to love.
Their glances interlocked, and there was no more fighting what she felt for him. She knew she surrendered part of herself during that glance. Something tender - broodingly. tender - stole into his expression.
'You aren't much like your sister,' he said.
'Well, we aren't really related. Her father married my mother, but apart from that we've very little in common.' Ruan smiled. 'Charme is considered the belle of Avendon, and though I admire her beauty, I'm afraid we don't get along all that well. It's a case of a stray kitten sharing the house with everyone's pet. Charme likes cushions and cream, but I'd be ******* with-' Ruan bit her lip, for she had been about to say affection. Since her mother had died she had not been loved, only cared for in a material sense.
Tarquin was listening carefully, and suddenly the floodgates opened and Ruan was telling him everything. 'I'm not really ungrateful to the St. Cyrs. Stephen was good to Catrina, my mother. I never knew my real father. All I know is that he was a soldier and Catrina loved him. She always said he meant to marry her, but suddenly he was posted abroad and the next thing she heard was that he had been killed. She was a maid in his mother's house and she didn't dare to tell anyone her secret. She ran away and for seven poor but happy years we were together, until she married my stepfather. Then while I was at boarding school she became ill and died ... Tarquin, do you think I should feel ashamed because my parents weren't married? Charme thinks so. She finds me a bit of an embarrassment.'
'The showy things of life are often shallow, Ruan, holding but a candle to the sun.' Tarquin traced with his fingertips the fine bones of her face. 'A child of love is a thing of love, Pierrette. Like a goblet chased all over with rare, strange patterns. Filled to its brim with a warm wine. It's what we are, Ruan, what we make of ourselves that counts.'
And with those kindly words he made her feel that she could never again be hurt by her stepsister's remarks. It was strange, holding a dreamlike quality, that she was alone like this with the famous Tarquin Powers. She had the feeling that she answered some transient need in him; a reaching back into his youth, perhaps, for the innocence and trust he saw in her eyes.
"You should have been called Alice,' Charme had once said to her. 'You look one minute as if you're in wonderland, the next instant as if you're at the mad hatter's tea party.'
Ruan smiled to herself. Didn't Charme understand that there was a certain wonder, and a certain craziness to living?
'What are you smiling about?' A lean hand tilted her face to the moonlight, so that it seemed to grow even more wistful.
A tremor ran through her, for she was unused to the touch of a mature and attractive man. 'I'm wondering if my stepsister noticed that we stole away from her party.'
'I hope she did,' he chuckled. 'It will teach her that glamour isn't everything, and that "Ruan" means "deep-running brook".'
Ruan's eyes widened with surprise. 'How did you know that?'
'I looked it up in a book,' he teased. 'As a matter of fact I used long ago to be taken on holiday to Cornwall, that most Celtic of kingdoms. There was a place where the rocks looked like knights at their vigil, where the moors made one think of the romantic stories of Camelot, and one large rock with a complete archway through it which led to a cave I called the Grail. I used to keep there my collection of sea-spoil - shells and pieces of quartz and hanks of seaweed."
He paused and smiled, and his arm slipped around Ruan in a kind of careless camaraderie. 'I'm trying to remember the name of the place - what stands out in my memory is the house that stood way up on the cliffs. It was like a chateau, strangely enough, with turrets and a tangled garden. Nobody lived there, yet a notice on the gate said Trespassers Beware! I suppose that part of it intrigued me more than anything else. I trespassed and found the windows shuttered and ravens nesting on the roof. There wasn't even a caretaker. It was as if the place was haunted and no one dared to live there.'
Ruan caught her breath; for one wild moment she was tempted to tell him the name of the house, and of the man who now lived in it - unafraid of ghosts. Who might take Charme to live there with him. Yet she didn't speak. Almost at once she knew that her revelation would not- be welcomed. Memories were precious things. They shouldn't be brought up to date, their magic distilled with the mundane. He didn't like Charme. Her beauty meant nothing to him because he had seen greater beauty; had held in his arms women who had been far more enchanting.
He would, she was sure of it, have nothing in common with Eduard Talgarth. There was no hint of the sensitive in the Cornish skipper; he had said himself that he had no time for masquerade. He and Tarquin were as unalike as two men could be!
'Have you ever been back?' she asked curiously.
'No.' He smiled thoughtfully, and she felt a slight tightening of his arm around her. The swan glided by on its vigil and he watched it. 'There hasn't been the time, not since so much work caught up with me. There was drama school - I was lucky enough to win a place - and then Rep, where I carried scenery about until the director let me carry a spear. My first speaking part was in Julius Caesar. I played the soldier who has to stab Cassius, and now the role of Cassius is firmly established in my own repertoire. It's one of my favourites. I find the character deeper, more devious, than Antony or even Brutus. One can bring to the tent scene, on the battlefield, a lot of meaning and emotion.'
He gave a slight laugh and glanced down at Ruan. 'Am I boring you, Pierrette ? You're very quiet.'
'I'm enthralled,' she said at once, and could not keep the betraying thrill out of her voice. 'Do go on!'
She heard him laugh again, softly. 'Are you starstruck, Ruan? Despite the freckles - and they're really rather charming - wouldn't you like to be an actress?'
'No.' She glanced up at him, still a little shy of him but unafraid that he would scoff at her ideas and find them unsophisticated. He could not be the actor he was if he didn't have much heart, and a sensitivity that he probably had to bide, even fight against, for the world of acting was a tough one, where hurt feelings had to be borne with a gay laugh, a nonchalant shrug of the shoulder.
'I like to watch,' she said, 'and I love to listen. I think really good actors are born, not made. They even have the right kind of faces - if you know what I mean?'
'Ravaged Greek gods, eh?'
'Yes.' They laughed together. 'Ann Destry is very lovely. The stage lights seem to catch in her hair. I loved that moment in Othello when you covered her throat with her long hair, as if to hide the marks of your fingers.'
'Ah, you noticed that?' He looked pleased. 'Yes, Ann is rather lovely and a good actress. I was lucky to get her for the season. The sandy young man you saw with her at the Mill Loft was Buckley Holt, her fiancé He's making quite a name for himself as a stage designer. He isn't the regular sort of designer, but I won't go into that. Buck is all man, and he's produced some superb sets for our production of Hamlet, which we intend to put on towards the end of our stay at the Mask. It runs over four hours, and we decided on a spectacular staging. I'm not keen on modern variations of the play and great cubes that are meant to represent lord knows what! Our Hamlet will be as Elizabethan as if the author himself might stroll in to watch. It will be a highlight for me, Ruan - the first time I've played Hamlet.'
'I'm sure you will be great, Tarquin.'
'I want to be.' He spoke soberly. 'Just once in a lifetime an actor wants to give a performance that will be his memorial, if you understand me? He wants to know that long afterwards people will say, "Ah yes, I saw him play that part. He was unforgettable!" Actors are vain creatures, Pierrette. They want the adulation to continue even after the final curtain call.'
'Tarquin!' Something in his voice had struck a chill through her, and she saw that in the moonlight his face had a pensive look and his cheekbones seemed more hollowed. She wanted to put her arms around him, to make him safe, somehow. He was as vulnerable as her lonely self.
'Have I frightened you?' Abruptly his arms were holding her. 'Shall I take you home?'
'Yes, I must go home ...' Her voice shook a little.
'And I should say good night and let it be good-bye.' He paused, then added almost savagely, 'But I don't want that! I want to see you again, Ruan, on Sunday. We'll drift in a punt on the river and eat good things from a picnic hamper -is it a date?'
'Yes ... oh, yes!' Her eyes filled with a happy radiance. 'Where shall we meet, and shall I bring the food?'
'We'll meet at noon by the Mill Loft, where we can hire a punt. I'll get a hamper from Lemon's. I seem to remember that they lay on quite a feast of turkey legs, foie gras patties, and a bottle of wine.'
'You like everything done with style.' She smiled and there was a wistfulness in her eyes, as if even yet she couldn't believe that she fitted into his life, even for a few short hours.
'I hope there isn't a boy-friend?' he murmured, half teasingly. 'Some young Romeo-?'
'No.' She spoke quickly, too unworldly to hide her joy in wanting to be with him. 'There is no one - and I'd like very much to go on the river with you.'
'Good, it's settled. Well drift with the tide, Ruan, and let happen whatever is meant to happen.' And then before she could speak he leaned forward and brushed his lips against the little silver moon that clung to her thin young cheek. 'You know, don't you, and you're just a child,' he murmured.
'What do I know, Tarquin?' Her heart was beating quickly, and she knew she could be hurt as never before if she allowed herself to love this man. But she wanted to love him. She would cherish each hour he gave her out of his theatre life; live each day as it came, and if she died a little when he went away, she would have lived as she had never hoped to live.
'That my life has been lonely, Ruan, even in its most crowded moments.' He smiled a little wryly. 'I'm not hand-ing you a "line" and you know that as well. Quelle purete fame. You think with your heart, don't you?'
'Yes.' She thought of Catrina, who had done the same. Only a few hours ago St. Cyr had said that she mustn't be afraid of men because of her mother's mistake. How could she feel afraid in Tarquin's arms when she felt only happiness? She met his eyes fearlessly, and it was as they stood there, speaking with their eyes alone, that the moon was scarred by a cloud.
'I must take you home.' He said it with regret. 'It's going to rain again.'
It caught them as they ran laughing towards the house. Nearly all the cars were gone, several of the fairy lights had flickered out, and all that was left of the music was someone playing a record.
Tarquin's hand gripped Ruan's and then let it go. 'Don't forget,' he murmured.
'No.' Ruan swept off his cloak and handed it to him just as Ann Destry and her fiancé came out of the house.
'Quin - there you are! We'll give you a lift to the hotel.'
'I'm obliged, ma'am.' He swept her a bow, and at the same time Ruan felt the brush of his teasing eyes. Her heart skipped a beat. She hugged to herself the secret that was theirs. No one must know that Tarquin Powers meant to steal away with a girl on Sunday. The curiosity of other people could only spoil what to them was strangely enchanting. Amazement that he could find attractive a girl who was plain but for a pair of violet eyes would burst the bubble, dispel the magic, destroy a tenuous delight.
'Good night, everyone!' She ran indoors, and felt the look that followed her from Ann Destry. She met Charme in the hall, saying good night to someone so tall and dark he was unmistakable.
'Ruan?'
'Lovely party, Charme!' Her smile was gay, mischievous; a warmth for everyone flowed from her heart. 'Did you enjoy yourself, Mr. Talgarth ?'
She half turned on the stairs to look at him. Her hair was rain-straight, her eyes were shining, and still the little moon clung silver to her cheek.
'Did you, Miss Perry?' he countered, and she knew from his eyes - so penetrating - that he had seen her depart with Tarquin.
'Yes, it was fun.' A little flash of defiance lit her eyes, for what right had he, this stranger, to look disapproving? As the little stepsister was she supposed to sit in a corner and have nothing, nobody, no delight but charity from the St. Cyrs? All at once she was shaken by anger. She could have struck at this man's face, with its bones like rocks under the sea-browned skin. She hated him] He was arrogant ... one of those who thought that only the beautiful were meant for love.
'Will you be staying long in Avendon?" she asked coldly. 'Or can't you wait to get back to your chateau?'
His eyes narrowed, and for this brief electrical moment they were alone while Charme was held in conversation by friends of her father's. He stood below Ruan, looking up the white-painted stairs at her slender figure, his brows a black dangerous line, his eyes burning blue in all that darkness.
'There are two kinds of people,' he said softly. 'They are the tame and the wild, and if you ever come to Cornwall, I shall teach you what manner of man I am.'
'I have you summed up already,' she said recklessly. 'And I have no intention of ever coming to visit you and your wife.'
'I have no wife, Miss Perry.'
'But you will have, won't you, Mr. Talgarth?' She swung on her heel and raced up the stairs, aware that he went on standing where she left him, dark, so very dark against the pale woodwork, the blue carpet like a sea pool under his feet, a gleam of onyx at his cuff as he slicked from his eyes that black streak of hair.
She knew what manner of man he was, and she almost pitied Charme who would have to cope with him. He might be generous with his gifts, but he was not the sort to uproot himself for the sake of a woman, even one he might desire. The woman would have to go his way, and Ruan couldn't picture her stepsister in the wilds of Cornwall, even as mistress of a chateau built long ago by a princely rebel.
A storm was in the air, Ruan thought, as she stood at her window and ran her hands through her rain-tousled hair.
'Tarquin.' She murmured his name, and curled down into the window seat. A breeze stole in and kissed her cheek, and remembering his kiss she forgot Eduard Talgarth and the anger he had aroused in her.
In four days' time she would see Tarquin again.

عرض البوم صور darla  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:12 PM   المشاركة رقم: 9
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER THREE
Now each Sunday they were meeting to spend the day together, and there was so much to be discovered, so many things of beauty that took on an added charm because they shared them together. He enjoyed handling the punt they hired, and the Avon wended its way through some of the loveliest country, where they ate their lunch on a river-bank, or strolled as far as one of the Tudor inns with an old-world frontage of plaster and timbering and mullioned windows, where they sat in one of the parlours and ate roast beef and browned potatoes while the sun streamed in past the climbing geraniums.
She was learning how much the theatre took out of him, how much he needed to relax with someone like her, who made no demands on him, who listened and laughed and explored with him the old water-mills, the ruins of castles, the golden heart of England. They wandered in cherry orchards, took footpaths that rambled over the hills and led to tie remains of an old Roman vineyard, or to a creamy-walled cottage topped by a crusty brown thatch. An enchanted cottage with low cobbled garden walls overhung by clumps of greenery spattered with butter-yellow flowers. There was lavender and ice-plant glittering against a burnt-gold plant. A perfect little house. A picture and a dream with its windows fresh with net and little copper jugs.
They didn't speak as they made their way back to the river and the punt, where she looked at him with a smile of grave charm, her hair blowing above her eyes, boyish in her canvas jeans and leaf-green shirt.
He took her hand and kissed it lightly. 'Dear nymph, you read my heart, don't you? You know it's torn two ways.'
She nodded and her smile didn't falter. Though his kiss had not yet touched her lips, she sensed that he was never completely happy; that something stood between them.
He handed her into the punt, lean and agile in fawn trousers and a white shirt, and as she took her seat she watched the way he handled the punt pole, his movements as supple as they were on stage. Everything about him seemed designed to make of a stage role a thing of magic, and when he acted he was someone apart from her - he was Cassius, watching the storm and speaking of 'the strange impatience of the heavens'.
Their punt floated on the sunlit river and everything but the water was still and softly hazy. Their eyes met, and in a moment there was a certain beauty in her smile.
'You're a rare creature, Ruan,' he said. 'Did I ever tell you that nature was kind enough to give you flowers for eyes?'
He often said such things with easy grace, and she didn't dare to let them be a substitute for words of affection. It would be self-delusion to let herself believe that he had fallen in love with a country girl who knew so little of his world. His need was for a companion; someone with whom he could be carefree.
That evening when they parted on the old weir bridge (she kept secret from the St. Cyrs her meetings with Tarquin) he suddenly produced a ring in the shape of a blue scarab, with an inscription under the wing.
'For friendship,' he said, but he slipped it on the finger men choose for their ring of love, and it was unbearable, as if he played a game with her. 'No - I don't want it!' She wrenched the ring from her finger and threw it at his feet, then she turned and ran from him and she meant never to see him again ... to be friends was not enough ... it was not fun any more.
•Ruan?'
She ran on across the bridge and the dying blaze of the sun was in her eyes, and the tears, and before she could save herself she stumbled down the two wide steps at the foot of the bridge and fell headlong into the tall grass and the clumps of wild flowers.
'Ruan!' He was beside her, kneeling in the grass, catching hold of her. His face was grim and concerned, and beside his mouth a nerve beat quickly, visible to her eyes as he pulled her against him, pulled her close to the warmth of his skin where his shirt was open at his throat.
'No - please!' She struggled with him. He wanted only a pal - his dear nymph. 'I'm all right... let me up and let me go home.'
But he went on holding her, and the tang of grass and thyme and crushed petals was an incense all around them. 'No ...' It was a husky whisper, and the next instant she felt the warm crush of his arms and saw his face draw near in the dusk, and it was as if each feature had been etched by the point of a star. The breath caught in her throat and the first light touch of his lips on hers was not to be believed in ... until suddenly the warmth was flame and the caress was gone, to be replaced by the hunger of a man who had waited with pent-up longing for this moment.
The weir rushed on, and her lips, her eyes, the pulse in her throat, all were at the mercy of his kisses. The floodgates had opened and the tide swept over her, until at last she begged, half laughing, and just a little frightened, that he please stop or she would die of the kissing.
He held her strongly and closely to his warmth, and as the sky darkened the stars came out one by one. Ruan watched them and felt a happiness that seemed poised on a waiting edge.
'You're such a sweet thing,' he murmured. 'I knew it from the moment I saw you standing below the stage in that half-dark theatre, holding that absurd little dog in your arms. I saw innocence and trust and I swore to myself that I wouldn't touch you. I meant us to have only these friendly afternoons together. I meant not to break the gentle spell of these hours on the river.'
She couldn't speak, couldn't ask why the kissing was dangerous. She lay looking at him, cradled by his firm arm, and hi the radiance from the river she saw how drawn and tense his face was.
'Pierrette,' he spoke the name in her tumbled hair, 'don't you know, haven't you guessed why I've fought this ... told myself we could be friends but nothing more? It was a bungling thing, to go and put the ring on the one finger that can never wear a ring of mine.'
She listened to the tumbling of the weir, and to the beating of her heart, and all at once the truth began to take torturing shape, spelling out the words before he spoke them.
'I'm married, Ruan.' He said it harshly. 'Didn't you ever wonder? Didn't you ever ask yourself why I never kissed you? Did you think I didn't find you attractive enough?'
Married?
The pealing of evening bells from a nearby church took on the sound of a knell, and the scents of the dying day turned bittersweet on the air as the shock of his revelation spread through her.
'No one - ever mentions your wife, Tarquin.'
'Only my closest friends know I have one.' With a sigh he helped Ruan to her feet and by unspoken consent they returned to the bridge. He took a lighter from his pocket and played the small light over the spot where they had been standing, and after a moment's search he found the ring which she had flung at his feet ... as if warned by some instinct that it was wrong of him to give her a ring.
'Please, Ruan.' He held it out to her. 'On any finger you like. What does it matter? We have to be friends again, even though we care for each other in a deeper sense.'
'Why does no one speak of your wife?' She had to ask; she had to know all the secret. 'Are you separated from her?'
He unclosed her slender fingers and pressed the ring into her hand. 'We don't live together - any more. We married when I was just an aspiring actor, and four years later she became ill and had to be sent away to a home for nervous diseases, a place that looks like a Californian ranch.'
He sighed deeply. 'She's Italian, quite beautiful, and hopelessly beyond the reach of ever becoming my wife again - and yet until one of us dies she is for all time my wife. I was so crazy about her at the time we married that I took her faith. You understand what that means, Ruan?'
'Yes.' It was but a whisper, and her hands were shaking as she slipped the blue scarab ring on to her right middle finger. She would wear it always. It was all she might have of him. 'Yes, I understand all the implications, Tarquin, and I'm so sorry for you. I thought I didn't fit into your world of the theatre - and then again I thought myself too young, too naive,-even too plain-'
'Darling nymph,' he took her by the shoulders and his grip was painful in its intensity, 'how could you be plain with violet eyes ? How could you not bewitch me with your smile that holds none of the artifice I see every day of my life - except on these days with you? These precious' hoarded Sundays. These river trips I shall not forget."
'You talk as if you're going away, Tarquin.' It took all her courage, all her control, not to cry. • 'I belong to the greasepaint and the mask, my dear. I give myself to the crowd like a gladiator to the lions ... and now you know why. Never the twain shall meet, yet we met, and I should have sent you away and tried no more to see you. That foolish party! I couldn't resist the invitation when someone said that Charme St. Cyr had a sister named Ruan. Could there be two girls in Avendon with a name so rare? I had to find out! Then I saw you, in that pierrot outfit, my Ruan, clean and fresh as rain on the young green leaves of springtime. I blighted my own springtime and should have stayed away from you ...'
'I don't regret anything. Not a moment, not an hour.' She smiled into his eyes, for nothing he had said had really blighted the magic of knowing him; it wouldn't just die because there was no future for them together. Why, she asked herself, must they part and walk away from each other, lonely again?
'There are two more weeks before you play Hamlet,' she said softly. 'Two more Sundays for us to be together. Don't let's throw them away.'
'It could now be dangerous,' he warned her. 'I'm only a man and when we're alone - Pierrette, you aren't a child!'
'No.' She shook her head. 'I'm suddenly so much older and wiser, and I couldn't bear to be robbed of one single moment of the time we have left to share. You said we'd go to Stratford next week, remember?'
'I think I was on the way to going to the devil before you came along.' He closed his arms around her and pressed his cheek to her windblown hair. 'I fly to Rome after Hamlet, to make a film. These things I have to do because I need the money for Nina. It will be that way for years, with people wondering why I give a quarter of my time to the theatre when I long to give all of it.'
'My poor Tarquin.' She drew his head down to her and there on the weir bridge they kissed with a passionate sadness, the gems of the scarab ring playing a blue light over his lean cheek.

She arrived home in a pensive mood, to find the house full of Charme's friends. The record-player was belting out the latest dance number, and a couple were swinging their hips to it in the brightly lit hall.
'Isn't it splendid news?' Someone she vaguely knew was smiling all over his face and holding a glass of champagne in his hand ... she could see the bubbles rising to the brim. 'Charme is going to be married I She and the lucky chap made up their minds today.'
Married - Charme?
Ruan glanced round dazedly, her mind and her heart still at the mercy of what Tarquin had revealed ... that he had a wife in America, young, lovely, but an invalid.
'I - I've been out all day. I didn't know about the engagement.' Ruan stood hesitant on the stairs, and heard from the direction of the lounge the merry sounds of laughter and clinking wine glasses. She should go in and add her congratulations, but somehow she couldn't make the effort. She had felt certain that Eduard Talgarth had left Avendon several days ago, but he must have returned for the occasion.
'Simon's always had a silver spoon in his mouth.' There was a laugh, followed by the raising of the champagne glass. 'Here's to them! May they always be the town's leading lights.'
Simon? Simon and Charme!
Ruan leaned weakly against the stair rail and she could have laughed aloud for ever supposing that her stepsister would give up the heir to a flourishing furniture business to go and live in the wilds of Cornwall. It was now so obvious that Charme and Talgarth had never been suited, her stepsister so in love with the good life and the Cornishman so rugged, with a sea light in his eyes and an air about him of being the captain of his own fate.
Her stepsister and Simon Fox had in common their love of gaiety and good times, and in the younger man Charme would have a husband she could lead about by the nose. Ruan couldn't imagine the dark, arrogant Talgarth being led about by anyone. The last time she had seen him had been in the shop where she worked. He had strolled in to buy a porcelain figure of a girl holding to her head a windblown hat with a wide brim, wearing a crinoline and slippers of scarlet. It had been expensive, and Ruan had felt like saying that Charme would prefer a piece of jewellery or an attractive powder-box.
He had stood at the other side of the counter, overpowering among the ornaments, some of which were as delicate as shell. 'I, see you are advertising the Mask plays in the window,' he had drawled. 'You seem to be a regular playgoer. Whenever I call at the villa you are never at home.'
'I've always been fond of the theatre,' she had said, on the defensive as always with the man. 'It's especially exciting when famous actors come for the season.'
'Be careful, Ruan. One of them might throw stardust in your eyes and it could be painful.' With this remark he had left and she had not seen him again. But in the next fortnight she sometimes thought of his words when allowed backstage at the Mask. She became quite friendly with Ann Destry, who didn't mince her words either.
'We meet all sorts,' she said, as she and Ruan stood in the wings together. 'It's a well-known fact that girls in the various towns develop crushes on actors, and we get a laugh out of it, but you're different, Ruan.'
'Well, thanks.' Ruan gazed at the rehearsal on stage. 'I'm not running after Tarquin.'
'Buck and I know that. We know how he feels about you - to the rest of the cast he's the aloof and magnificent Quin Powers, but to us he's a friend. Ruan, you're not the kind of girl to want an affair with a man, and Quin can't legalize what you and he feel for each other. Could you face being his mistress?'
It was a question Ruan winced at. In the privacy of her thoughts she shrank from the answer, but when she was with Tarquin nothing seemed to matter except that she make him happy, be whatever he wished her to be ... his mistress in Rome if he wanted that. He would never ask it of her here in Avendon, where she lived and worked, but as the days drew nearer for his departure from Avendon, she had the feeling that he might ask her to go abroad with him.
It was in his eyes, the clasp of his arms, unspoken in his kiss. He wanted an end to loneliness ... he wanted her.
Their mood was one of a shared tenseness on the day they visited Stratford, stopping off to take lunch at a castle-like inn smothered in ivy. There was an ancient Roman well in the garden where they ate their meal, and he suggested that he take a photograph of her posed against the lichened stone.
'Is it for your album of memories?' she asked, meaning to be gay and bright, but striking the wrong note. His eyes flashed to meet hers, the pupils expanding as he came deliberately to her, took her by the chin and bruised the smile from her lips.
'If I were a Roman of old and you my slave girl, then there would be no talk of memories, or of partings.' He spoke close to her, as savagely as he had kissed her, and she caught at the rim of the Roman well, slim and girlish in a dress patterned with willow green leaves and bronze petals. She gasped, half-frightened, as Tarquin suddenly kissed the curve of her neck.
'Tarquin, let's make a move,' she spoke breathlessly. 'Some other people have come into the garden ... please!'
'Please?' he mocked. 'The rules have to be obeyed, don't they?'
'W-what rules?'
'Those of convention, my sweet. Or are you afraid of my love all of a sudden?'
'You're being cruel!'
'Love is cruel.' He took hold of her and pulled her out of sight of the three people who were taking a table for lunch in this old-world garden. He found for them seclusion near some espalier pear trees, old and twisted. Below the wall, against the ground, ran a drift of wild violets, and for a long moment Tarquin stared at them, and then slowly he looked up and his gaze sank deep into Ruan's eyes that were the colour of the flowers.
'Why pretend that it's easy being friends?' he murmured. 'We look at each other, Ruan, and other people just don't exist. Will you deny it, little witch d'amour, when your violet eyes drown me in them each time I look at you?'
'No ...' She could make no denials when her eyes spoke for her. 'But what I feel frightens me a little, Tarquin.'
'Ah, Ruan.' His hand became caressive on her russet hair. 'Do you think I don't get frightened, dear nymph? Do you think I want to know the pain of saying good-bye to you, someone I have found who seems to belong to no one but me? Someone I must leave who will find love, perhaps, with another man?' He laid his cheek against her hair, and the scent of the wild flowers seemed to add to the poignancy, so that Ruan would never see or breathe them without remembering this moment.
As Tarquin's arms tightened around her, she knew instinctively what he meant to ask of her. There was something fateful about their being here. The old trees, a passing cloud, a little breath of coldness through the garden, all were part of the moment as if the stage were set for his question, and her answer.
'I want you to come to Rome with me,' he said. 'I can't face any more loneliness. The emptiness of not having someone I need, who needs and cares for me as a person rather than a public image. I want you to come with me very much, Ruan.'
It was his use of the word loneliness that touched her heart and melted it. It was another term for being without love, without someone to whom you truly mattered ... her joy in being needed by him would be her armour against the sin of it.
His hand rested near her cheek and she turned her head and shyly pressed her lips to the lean fingers, feeling the pressure of his signet ring with its bloodstone. The silent kiss was her answer without word, catching his sense of symbolism. With a gesture he could express a sadness, a delight, or a surrender.
'My dear!' He swept her close to him, held her against the espalier trees, and the thrill of his kiss ran all through her. His tender words broke in little waves against her throat, and she let herself hear nothing but those words. She strove not to see any face but his ... Catrina's with its reproach would be too much to bear ... and there was another, dark, strong and Celtic, warning her, which she pushed away from her, as if physically. It was her life. There was no one else but Tarquin who really cared about her. It wouldn't matter to the St. Cyrs if she slipped out of their circle, into which she had never fitted.
'Tarquin, we'd better be making a move.'
'Yes - I suppose we must.' But the threat of another kiss shimmered in his eyes, and with a breathless laugh she pulled free of him and ran pursued through the garden.
People gazed after them from the lunch tables.
'Did you see!' someone exclaimed. 'That was the actor we saw the other evening in School For Scandal!'
'The girl as well?' '
"Very likely. They're so-made up on stage.'
Ruan gave a wry smile as Tarquin opened the door of the small car he had hired for their drive to Stratford. 'Scandal,' he said dramatically.
Ruan hung on to her smile as he started the car and they swung out of the lane on to the highway. He was a fast driver and an hour later they were swooping over Clopton Bridge, picturesque with its mellow row of arches. The gleaming river and green trees on its banks followed the road to the Memorial Theatre and soon it towered in sight, like a great liner afloat on the water.
They parked the car and strolled across the lawns towards the cubistic building, so outwardly modern, and yet the home of great language and plays written centuries ago.
'The last time I was here,' mused Tarquin, 'I played Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet.'
'I wish I could have seen you.' Ruan smiled at him, the sun reflecting from the water on to her bright unruly hair. Forgotten for a while were her misgivings. It gave only pleasure that other people gazed after his tall, supple figure, noticing him for somebody out of the ordinary with his fine face. .
Whatever his private torments, he was before anything else an English actor of the first rank, with a dash of the foreign in him from the past, and from his mother who had come from the mystic isles of Arran.
'Tell me more about it,' she coaxed. "Was it exciting to act on one of the great stages here at the Memorial?'
'Wonderful. I enjoyed playing Mercutio, but would have made an unlikely Romeo.' He chuckled. 'Romeo is the eternal boy lover, and actors should cease to play him after the age of twenty-four. Were you aware, Ruan, that I'm thirty-four?'
'I suspected it,' she said lightly.
'Don't you mind?' He gripped her hand in his. 'You're so young, but a mere Juliet. Have you no wish to be wooed by a Romeo?'
'I much prefer Petruchio.'
•You're no Kate for temper.' His grey eyes smiled as they took her in. 'There is a physical resemblance, however. "Kate like the hazel twig is straight and slender and as brown in hue as hazel nuts and sweeter than the kernels."'
'Do you always say such nice things to your Kates?' she asked, with a flash of curiosity.
'There have not been so many, Ruan.'
'I know.' Her fingers curled in among his, for always the shadow of Nina would haunt his happiness, and hers.
The library and picture gallery of the Memorial had escaped the fire that had gutted the old theatre. It remained attached in the old style to the modern, and there they looked at costumes and manuscripts, and paintings of famous performers. A brooding Hamlet holding the skull. Antony in wonderful Roman robes, with an amulet against his chest. There was Olivier as Othello, a passionate and startling portrait.
'The finest performance of this day and age,' said Tarquin with feeling. 'It will go down in theatre history as a portrayal more alive, more intense than anything achieved since Edmund Keane died. Olivier has his memorial. He's a great, great actor.'
A thrill ran through Ruan as Tarquin spoke. He knew so much about his profession, cared so deeply that he give always of his best, longed in his turn to be a great and stirring performer. She was sure that he would be; that one day people would walk through this gallery and worship his portrait.
She looked at him as he regarded the brooding Hamlet in sombre costume, outlined against the battlements of a castle. The play would be Tarquin's farewell performance at the Mask, and then with him she would say good-bye to Avendon. She told herself ardently that they'd be happy -
as happy as possible!
'Come,' he gathered her arm through his, 'let us go and look at Anne Hathaway's cottage, like a proper pair of tourists, and then we'll spend the evening at the Mill Loft with Buckley and his Ann.'
They walked together down the gallery, past Romeo in his deeply open silk shirt, past Macbeth in his strange crown and chain, past the severe and beautiful face of Coriolanus. At the doorway they turned for a last look and the afternoon sunlight fell on the armour and the cloaks. 'It's a world apart,' Ruan murmured.
'It will be your world when you come to me,' said Tarquin, his voice extra deep, his brilliant eyes holding hers in captivity. She nodded, just a little terrified by what he implied. In Rome she would belong completely to Tarquin ... there the die would be cast.
They walked in silence to the car, and drove without haste to see the cottage in which Shakespeare's wife had lived. It had an old-world garden full of hollyhocks and sunflowers. The long timber and plaster front of the house was bent over with age, and the windows were latticed beneath the thatched roof. So still and old, so that even the visitors who wandered in and out of the low-beamed rooms could not spoil completely the peace of a place lived in long ago by those who had known the greatest of all writers.
As the sun dipped lower in the sky Ruan breathed the scent of the flowers, always stronger as day waned, and then she became aware that a group of people had recognized Tarquin and were asking for his autograph. She watched as he exchanged a few easy words with; them and signed his name with a flourish on their Stratford catalogues and car maps.
One young woman was looking at him with eyes that shone with admiration, and Ruan remembered her own first meeting with Tarquin. Had she looked like that, so ready to adore him? Was that why he had been tempted to come to Charme's party? Was that the reason he wanted her, because she was so innocently adoring, and the sort not to intrude into his public life?
Oh, she was being sensitive! She couldn't expect Tarquin to pull her forward and say outright, 'This is the girl I have chosen to share my life.' He could never say it in plain terms. He was not free to do so, and then with his inimitable smile he bade his admirers good-bye and strode to Ruan. She was aware of the women's eyes assessing her dress and her figure, wondering if she could be an actress, one they ought to recognize.
'Sweetheart?'
She smiled up at him. 'What does it feel like to be admired by women wherever you go ?'
'As if they'd like to slice me up, share me out and keep me as a souvenir in serviettes.'
She laughed, and felt his arm twine lightly around her waist as they made for the car. Those people watched and wondered, and she knew with a warm thrill that Tarquin was letting them know that she was someone special... his possession.
His lips brushed her hair as he put her into the car. 'It's like you, Ruan, brave and bright as a sunflower,' he said softly.
She met his eyes and realized that the empathy between them made their thoughts readable to each other. He knew that for a few minutes she had felt forlornly separated from him by the barrier of his fame, and he reassured her with a kiss, a look deep into her eyes. So would it be, time and time again, he silently warned her. She must accept it, if she chose to accept him.
They drove off as the sun was dipping low, a ball of flame in the sky, setting fire with beauty the rolling fields and blossoming hedgerows. Birds called in the branches of the trees, and Ruan was sure she heard a cuckoo calling as they sped along a lane dappled by the red sun and the purpling shadows of evening.
'Make a wish!' she said quickly. 'I hear the cuckoo.'
'You child!' he grinned. 'There, I've made one. Shall I tell you-?'
'No, it won't come true if you reveal it.'
'It's half true already, dear nymph.' She knew at once what he meant, and with a quickly beating, happy-apprehensive heart she snuggled down beside him and rested her cheek against the bristly tweed of his jacket.
Darkness fell before they reached the Mill Loft, where they had arranged to meet Ann and Buckley for supper. Ruan stirred out of the half-dream into which she had fallen, and said drowsily: 'Oh, look at the stars. They're so still, so far away, they frighten me a little.' 'You strange girl,' said Tarquin.
'I bet you wouldn't say that to all your adoring fans.'
'My adoring fans, as you call them, wouldn't be half-asleep in my pocket, tempting a stalled car with unflattering observations about the stars.'
'Are they up there for a special purpose, then?'
'Would you like me to demonstrate ?'
'And keep Ann and Buckley waiting?'
'We can always say the car felt like a rest.' With a smooth braking movement Tarquin stopped the car by the roadside. He turned swiftly to Ruan and gathered to him her slim figure warmed by his own closeness. He kissed her teasingly, as he had spoken, then suddenly his arms tightened to the point of pain, and a little to her alarm a tremor shook him.
'Ruan - Ruan darling, is it fair of me to ask you to give up everything for my sake? Your home, your chance of meeting someone who can give you his name-?'
'I love you,' she touched his lean cheek. 'I'm not afraid of the future, and the St. Cyr house has never been my home in the sense that you mean. I have never truly belonged, as I want to belong to you.'
'And I, little one, would like to bind you to me with a ring of gold.' He kissed her eyes, the' small hollow in her cheek, the lobe of her ear. 'I'm sure of how I feel, Ruan, because I'm older than you, and because of my marriage.
But are you so sure about your own feelings? It isn't just stardust-?'
Her heart thumped ... be careful ... stardust in your eyes could be painful....
*No!' The word broke from her lips. She buried her face in Tarquin's shoulder, held tightly to his warmth and his lean strength. 'I'm sure of nothing except in your arms. You make me welcome, you make me feel needed. There's no one else to whom I mean anything. No one else who wants me-'
'Then are you mistaking loneliness for love, Ruan?'
'Kiss me,' she whispered, 'and find your own answer.'

It was late when Ruan let herself into the St. Cyr house. A lamp glimmered low in the lounge, and as she would have passed by the door on her way to the stairs, a voice called out: 'Is that you, Ruan?' A pause followed, as if Charme glanced at the clock. 'Come in a moment. I want to talk to you.'
Ruan had been expecting the summons for several days, ever since she and Tarquin had been seen by friends of Charme eating pastries at Lemon's. Tarquin had been popping a candied cherry into her mouth at the time, and with a resigned smile she pushed open the door of the lounge and went in to face the inquisition.
Charme sat on one of the twin sofas, smoking a cigarette in a short ivory holder. Even alone she was poised and elegant, a blue cushion behind her head to set off her coronet of pale-gold hair. She wore a short evening dress of blue embroidered with softly sparkling beads.
Ruan had always thought her stepsister beautiful... and had wished so often that her nature matched her looks. If they had, then life at the villa would have been a little happier. But there was a streak of the leopardess in Charme. She didn't like members of her own sex who were uninterested in clothes, looks, and the scandals of a small town. She found in Ruan a woodsy creature on whom it was a secret pleasure to try her claws ... long and polished by the light of the blue-shaded sofa lamp.
'Where have you been?' she asked pleasantly. 'It's very late, and not the first time you've crept in hoping we wouldn't hear you.'
'I don't creep in,' Ruan denied. 'I'd come in through the back way if I wanted to avoid you or your father.'
'You're quite brazen about it, then?'
'What do you mean?' Ruan stood taut in front of her stepsister, her hair a russet glimmer about her face, from which all the colour had suddenly fled.
'You know full well what I mean.' Charme lifted her cigarette and drew deliberately on the ivory mouthpiece. 'I imagine by now that half of Avendon is aware of your relationship with that actor from the Mask Theatre.'
Ruan caught her breath ... Charme made it sound as if she were having an affair with Tarquin ... moved to spite because his interest was centred on someone less decorative than herself. He had come to her party, but only to see Ruan. He had made available to the younger girl the fascinating company at the Mask. He had taken her to lunch at Lemon's, and to supper at the Mill. He had preferred her friendship to that of the more elite of Avendon.
The wide violet eyes of Ruan met the hazel-gold of Charme's, saw they were narrowed like a cat's. She meant to scratch deep, and to make the younger girl suffer for being more attractive to the worldly actor than her elegant self. She wore Simon Fox's diamond ring, and had captured the attention of the dark personage from Cornwall, but still she wanted more.
'Don't you think you're making a little fool of yourself, hanging after a man so much older than yourself?' The words came cuttingly from the red lips that could look thin in anger. 'Everyone knows that actors can turn the heads of plain, silly girls, flattered by a few attentions, and it wouldn't please Father and myself if you brought home any trouble. There's bound to be promiscuity in your blood, but we've tried to keep you from going the way of your mother-'
'I wouldn't say any more, Charme!' Ruan's eyes were brilliant with her own anger. 'I'll black your eye if you say one more nasty thing about Catrina. Say what you like about me': I'm used to it, and I know better than anyone that I haven't done anything wrong in seeing Tarquin and spending with him the most pleasant and interesting hours of my life. He's cultured and kind, and one of our finest actors ... not a slick seducer from some third-rate touring company!'
'You're smitten with the man,' Charme drawled. 'I suppose with someone as naive as a kid of nineteen, with no appeal for younger men, he can play the great actor to perfection. I thought the cream of the profession went to Stratford to act. Isn't he good enough for the Memorial?'
'He appeared at Stratford long before he became famous enough to pick and choose his theatre. The Mask appeals to him for its beauty and the effective way a classical play can be performed on its more intimate stage-' Ruan broke off at the slow, sarcastic raising of her stepsister's eyebrows. Charme had no interest in the theatre, and to her the word intimate meant only one thing.
*What are you going to do when your hero leaves Avendon?' she inquired mockingly. 'He won't marry you. He knows you couldn't fit into his sophisticated world. You'd be a liability. He only wants you while he's here in Avendon because you flatter his ego. What actor could resist being thought wonderful, on and off the stage?'
Oh, what pleasure it would have given Ruan to retort that she was going with Tarquin when he left Avendon, but she kept her lips firmly locked. When the time came she would leave quietly, with few regrets. Charme had shown her tonight that she was more unwanted than ever before. She had become a rival. Though not pretty in the accepted sense, a slim, woodsy thing with eyes that sometimes looked too big for her face, she had attracted a powerfully attractive man... and Charme was jealous.
With her new awareness of life and love, Ruan sensed that her stepsister was not in love with Simon Fox. She was driven to marry a man she could rule, otherwise she would have chosen the dark and dominant stranger from Cornwall. It infuriated her that Ruan was free of ambition; unafraid to let her heart be her guide.
Ruan tensed as Charme came to her feet, a head taller, outwardly lovely in her blue dress, the ring on her left hand flashing with solitaire fire.
'If you get yourself into trouble,' she said spitefully, 'don't come running to me or Father. Little fool, no man of the world would want you for anything else but his amusement. Look at you! Unstyled hair all over the place. No figure to speak of. Lips a schoolgirl pink ... or has it all been kissed off in the back of a car in some country lane?'
This stab in the dark was painfully near the truth, and yet so far removed from the tender torment of those moments in Tarquin's arms, when he had asked her to be sure that she loved him. When he had spoken of stardust in her eyes, blinding her to what she truly wanted. She looked at Charme, and her eyes were wide open to the future, to its possible heartaches, and its promise of happiness. Here at the villa she was treated like a charity child who was in the way.
'You don't have to worry, Charme,' she said quietly. 'If I ever need help or sympathy, I shan't come to you. I'd sooner go to a stranger.'
She turned 'on her heel and as she walked from the lounge the clock on the mantelpiece began to chime. When she reached her room it was midnight. The hour of the witch, and of Cinderella's return to earth with her dress in tatters. Ruan closed the door behind her and switched on the light. Her reflection sprang at her from the dressing-table mirror. Her face was pale, and her hair was tousled by Tarquin's touch.
He had said of her hair that it was brave and bright as a sunflower.
He had surely meant it ... it couldn't be true that she merely flattered him with her youthful worship.
'I want you,' he had said. 'I can't face any more the loneliness of not having someone who needs me ... for myself.'
Was being wanted the same as being loved?

عرض البوم صور darla  
قديم 03-12-07, 06:13 PM   المشاركة رقم: 10
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
سندريلا ليلاس

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدBarbados

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
darla غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

CHAPTER FOUR
FRIDAY was one of those sultry days with a promise of thunder in the air. Ruan came to work in a sleeveless dress of a pale mauve colour, and her hair was looped back in a mauve ribbon. Her eyes held captive a brave, bright smile.
'Looks like we're in for a storm,' remarked the young woman who worked with her in the shop. 'That's the trouble with this country of ours. As soon as we have a run of fine weather we pay for it with lashings of rain. It's bound to come. I can feel a little nerve hammering in my temple - do you get that feeling when there's thunder about, Ruan?'
'Mmm.' Ruan was unpacking some antique items their boss had bought at an auction. 'I hope it rains before tonight. I have a date to go to the theatre.'
The other girl gave her a knowing look. 'It's Hamlet tonight, isn't it?'
'Yes.' Ruan smiled and felt her quickening heart. She dusted a bronze figure of a knight on horseback. 'Leonard is charging well for this item. Do you like it, Kay?'
'It's all right, but I prefer something a bit more up to date. Where did he get that lot?'
'At the sell-up of that big manor house at Henley-in-Arden.'
'It's a shame the way those lovely old places are going up for sale. I suppose their owners can't afford their upkeep. I mean, all those rooms, and girls won't work as housemaids unless they get good wages. Mr. St. Cyr must be quite well-off, Ruan. I mean, you have those two foreign girls and a woman for the cooking. And your sister doesn't go to work.'
'She isn't my sister,' Ruan said, her hands clenching about a green glass goblet.
'No, I forgot. You aren't alike enough to be real sisters. Has she said yet when the wedding is to take place - lucky girl, to have nabbed someone whose father owns a furniture business!'
'I expect I shall read the announcement-in the local paper with everyone else.' Ruan's smile came back. 'We're not exactly on confiding terms.'
'She always strikes me as being a bit haughty,' Kay admitted. 'But I do envy her gorgeous blonde hair. It's natural, of course?'
'Every shining hair - ah, here comes a customer! You serve him, Kay.' Ruan's dimple was spiced. 'I know you're keen on the Texan type!'
The morning passed without event, and still the sun was gilt and sultrily warm. Came lunchtime and Kay went off to her pie and chips while Ruan stayed behind to read a magazine and eat sandwiches. A tourist lunching at Lemon's might notice something in the window of the Antique Shoppe, so they didn't close but took turns working through the lunch hour. Neither of the girls really minded. The shop was a pleasant place, and Lemon's next door always a source of interest with its cavalcade of visitors, bluff Americans with their smart wives, and worldly Europeans. Londoners with their lively eyes, and bronzed Australians who looked slightly awkward, as if about to crack their tall heads on the quaint beams of the famous restaurant.
Ruan was reading idly a story about love on a tropical island, when the bell of the shop tinkled and she glanced up expecting to see a customer. Instead she was confronted by a messenger boy toting an enormous basket of violets, a mass of purple and white scenting out the shop as the' boy grinned at her.
'Miss Perry?' he wanted to know.
'Y-yes.'
'Then you're the lady.' He placed the basket of flowers on the counter and put beside them a smartly wrapped box finished off with a silk bow. 'Happy returns, miss.'
'It isn't my birthday,' she said in bewilderment.
But the boy was gone and she was alone with her tributes. She searched the basket for a card, but couldn't find one.
She opened the ribboned box and found inside a beautiful bottle filled with Violette des sorciers, & French perfume both expensive and exciting. With the perfume there was a small envelope and inside a little card with a flourish of words in an unmistakable hand.
'To the girl whose eyes are more lovely than a garden of violets. I will see you tonight, dear nymph, until then au 'voir, Tarquin.'
Tears sprang into her eyes. How like him! How gallant and kind to remember her today of all days, when the final rehearsal for Hamlet was under way, the most important role of the season for Tarquin, and his farewell salute to Avendon. For three nights he would play the part, and then on Tuesday morning they would drive to the airport, for all the arrangements were now made for their departure. All that remained was for Ruan to tell her stepfather that she was going away.
She dabbed on a little of the cool perfume, and fondled the violets, their petals like velvet, reminding her of the garden at Stratford, where Tarquin had said passionately that love could be cruel.
He had been thinking of Nina, the woman who would like a shadow share their days and their nights. It could not be otherwise, and only Ruan's tender love for Tarquin made it possible for her to go with him to Rome, there to make a little happiness for him.
'What's all this?' Kay had come in suddenly, and she stood gaping at the great spill of violets over the counter of the shop. They lit it up and reflected in the copper surfaces of jugs and bowls. They merged their colour with Ruan's eyes as she gazed over the counter at Kay.
'A friend sent them.' A smile came and went on her lips, for the other girl looked so amazed. 'Lovely, aren't they?'
'Perfume as well?' Kay sniffed appreciatively. 'Mmmm, from Hamlet?'
'Yes.'
'You love him till it hurts, don't you, Ru?' Kay touched the violets. 'Are you wise to keep on seeing him? It'll hurt more when he leaves, you know.'
Ruan had not told anyone, yet, that she was going away with Tarquin. She had given in her notice, but had not given any reason for quitting her job. Leonard Wells had shrugged his shoulders. Shop assistants were easily replaceable in Avendon, but Ruan knew that Kay would be upset to hear she was leaving.
She might at this moment have spoken, but there was a sudden influx of souvenir-hunters, and it wasn't until after four that they found time to catch their breath. 'Ill run next door and get a pot of tea and some cakes,' said Kay. 'Wow, did you see that! Lightning and any minute now ...' Thunder rumbled as Kay laughed and darted out of the door, running the few steps to Lemon's just as the rain came down.
Now the storm had broken it seemed to bring out the full dizzying scent of the violets. Ruan smiled to herself, for one customer had thought they were selling them in small bunches. Her violets, from that darling man who at this very moment was busily at work at the Mask, discussing with Buckley and Valentinova the various aspects of tonight's play. Ruan had seen him in costume, a black and dull-silver doublet, worn with narrow black tights that made his legs even more long and raking as he moved about the stage.
The Mask was an attractive theatre, she thought, wincing as another fork of lightning lit the sky. She liked the Roman frontage, with its columns and stone balustrade, rising to a roof with a raised glass dome, which seen from inside was like a diamond-cut bowl from which hung twelve gilt-copper lamps. Other parts of the ceiling were studded with old-gold stars, and the halfmoon circles were decoratively carved. The scarlet curtains of the boxes matched the sweeping drapery of the proscenium arch.
'No other play opens so excitingly as Hamlet,' Tarquin had said, his hand gripping hers as they had lingered on after supper at the Mill, the candles slowly guttering on the tables. 'The battlements of Elsinore, and the dusk-light stealing over the castle. The guard, alarmed by the presence he can't see.'
Ruan knew with all her heart that the play would be memorable, from the moment Tarquin walked on-stage to become before her eyes the strange prince, brooding and restless, haunted by a ghost.
Now the rain was pouring down, and the sky had darkened over Avendon. Lightning flashes lit the sudden gloom of the shop, and the thunder shook the windows and made ornaments rattle on their shelves. Ruan decided to switch on the light. Kay was probably waiting until the rain eased off before returning with their tea and cakes.
Ruan reached to the switch, and then with stunning intensity the thunder and lightning cracked and flamed together, lighting up the street outside for one incredible moment. It was as if a bomb had fallen, and Ruan cried out and clapped her hands against her ears. The earth shook, and then everything was still except for the pounding of the rain.
She drew a shaky breath. It must have been a thunderbolt and from the sound of it fairly dose to town ... somewhere near the river. She noticed that her band shook as she switched on the light, and her heart was still hammering. It had been a frightening experience, and through the blurred shop windows she saw that people on the opposite side of the road were coming out of doors, macs over their heads, to gaze curiously in the direction from which the intense flash and the noise had come. She hesitated a moment, suppressed a little shiver, and opened the door of the antique shop.
'Do you think something has been struck, Mr. Lyons?' she called out to the bookseller.
'Aye.' He wore a trilby hat but was otherwise in his shirtsleeves. 'That was a nasty one and I'm betting someone has copped it. Listen, girl! That's the fire brigade!'
The racing bells clanged through another rumble of thunder, and people looked at one another uneasily. The sky was still rather sinister, though the rain had eased. The worst of the storm had passed, but everyone knew that something dreadful had happened up by the river; That bolt from the blue had struck a building and firemen were on their way to the scene of the disaster.
'Ruan!' Kay came running through the fine rain, tea and cakes forgotten, a look of concern on her face. 'My dear, they're saying in Lemon's that the theatre has been struck. The Mask!'
'The Mask?' Ruan gazed at the other girl in stunned disbelief. 'No - it couldn't be. Tarquin's there ... the company are in rehearsal. It couldn't be 1'
'Look,' Kay ran into the shop and came out again holding a plastic mac, 'you put this on and run up and see what's happened. You know how these rumours start... anyway, the lightning might only have struck the outside of the theatre-'
'Not the theatre - please God!' Ruan was trembling as she struggled into the mac. 'M-mind the shop, Kay.'
'Yes, don't worry about the shop...'
Already Ruan was running in the direction of the theatre, her hair blowing in the wind, the rain on her face ... or was it tears she didn't feel for the fear in her heart?

The grass verge fronting the theatre was alive with spectators, and swarming about the shattered roof of the building itself were firemen, doing something to the stone balustrade that was cracked and scorchmarked, the debris from it littering the pavement below, along with great lumps of glass from the splintered dome.
There was a sudden crash as more of the stonework broke away, followed by the frantic siren of an approaching ambulance. 'Just like the Blitz,' a man muttered. 'They say someone's been badly hurt - poor devil!'
Ruan heard as she thrust her way through the crowd. There was a smell of wet grass, damp raincoats, and brick-dust, and something else that reminded her of fireworks. Her acute awareness of al| this was mixed in with her frantic desire to get to Tarquin, to see him and hear the blessed sound of his voice. She reached the pavement as the ambulance dashed into sight, and the sight of it, pulling up beyond the cordon around the theatre, was more frightening than anything else had been. It was the symbol of injury and pain, and she stood in silent fear among the shattering groups of onlookers, wanting to dash madly across to the theatre, and yet held back with everyone else by the arm of the law.
'I saw it,' a boy kept saying. 'The sky went dark and this shaft of fire went straight for the dome - straight at it, as if it meant to hit that place and nothing else. I saw it! It smoked, and then came a loud noise and the roof cracked and caved in, and the glass flew about.'
'Please-' Ruan caught at the policeman's arm. 'I have friends in the theatre - can't I go across ?'
He looked at her, took in her pale, worried face, and shook his head regretfully. 'I'm sorry, miss. It's dangerous. Part of the roof keeps falling, and everyone has to stand clear until all the rubble is down.'
'Who - who was hurt?' she pleaded.
'I can't say, missie.' He turned his solid back on her, for others in the crowd were pushing forward, excitedly, as if at a sideshow, and had to be restrained as the ambulance men carried someone out of the theatre on a stretcher, the red blanket across the injured person an ominous clash of colour in the grey light of the rain. So still. Unmoving as the stretcher was lifted into the back of the ambulance. Ruan caught her breath as three more people came out of the shattered foyer, stepping over the stonework that lay about. One of them was Buckley Holt, and he was assisting Valen-tinova to the ambulance. The other person was Ann, looking round dazedly, noticing the crowd, and staring as she caught sight of Ruan in the green plastic mac. She hesitated a few painful seconds, and then came running across the road to where Ruan stood. She was white-faced, shaken, her Ophelia plait a gleam of gold in the rain. She caught at Ruan's hand, and looked pleadingly at the policeman. 'My friend must come with me,' she said. 'It's her fiancé who's been hurt!'
Ruan had known ... perhaps from the moment the lightning had struck. She had felt with her heart and her nerves that a catastrophe had happened in her life, and as the policeman let her pass to walk with Ann to Buckley's car, parked round by the stage entrance and undamaged, she felt as if the ground wavered under her feet. 'Why must it happen to Tarquin?' she wondered bleakly. 'Why must he be the one to suffer when he wouldn't hurt a living thing himself?'
'Ann-?' Her eyes spoke the rest for her.
'It all happened so swiftly.' They stood beside the car, watching as the ambulance sped away, the doors closed against Ruan. 'Quin and Val were down on the aisle, right under the dome with those copper lamps attached. They were studying the stage set for the nunnery scene. Suddenly there was this awful flash, this shattering explosion, and we all went down on all fours, covering our ears as the dome and part of the roof collapsed into the auditorium.'
Ann took a deep breath and tears shone in her eyes. 'Quin is partly the actor he is because of his quick reactions, the way he realizes something ahead of other people. As that flash tore through the theatre he flung himself over Val, protected her as glass, stone and those heavy copper lamps came down on them. Quin - he was caught about the head and the spine. Val was cut and badly shaken up.'
They got into the car in silence and drove away from the shattered theatre, heading in the direction of the hospital. Ruan felt numb with shock, and yet sharply aware of the rain against the windscreen, the heartbeat rhythm of the wiper, and the shine of Ann's knuckles as she gripped the wheel.
Tarquin was very badly hurt. In the midst of the happiness which had prompted him to send her violets; only hours away from his dream of playing Hamlet, he had been struck down by 'the strange impatience of the heavens'.
She sat quiet all through that drive to the hospital, remembering the way he had smiled in the candlelight last night, with a gay teasing and an underlying gravity. That secret sadness in Tarquin had made her love him all the more ... ah, but she mustn't think of their love as over. He would recover! He would smile again, act again, take her in his arms with his kiss shimmering in his grey eyes before he kissed her lips.
'Don't be too anxious,' Ann said gently, as they parked in the hospital grounds, and she turned a moment to look at Ruan. 'Quin is strong as only a superb actor can be, with amazing resources of vitality. I've seen him play Petruchio with a soaring temperature, and you can imagine how the audience raved over that. He's said ever after that he should always play the part half off his head. Come, let's go inside and find Buck. He'll have talked to a doctor by now and will be able to tell us how severely Quin has been hurt.'
The words sent a shudder through Ruan. It seemed as if she were awake in a nightmare, one that increased in terror as she pictured Tarquin at the mercy of surgical knives. The strength she had often felt in his lean hands was no longer at his command. Unconsciously, now, he lay at the centre of a drama that involved his very life, and hers.

Buck awaited them in the visitors' room. He looked pale and very worried, and had too much respect for Ruan's common sense to put on an act. Valentinova had concussion and was being kept in overnight. Poor Tarquin had caught the brunt of the storm. Standing behind Ruan as he helped her off with her mac, he said quietly: 'They're going to operate on him as soon as possible. They've sent to London for the very best man ... Strathern, the brain surgeon.' Buck's hands tightened on her shoulders as a painful shudder swept her slimness. 'Be brave, honey. Dear old Quin can't be brave for himself just at present, so it's up to us.'
'I know.' She bowed her head and spoke huskily. 'There's a small chapel in the grounds - five years ago my mother lay ill in this hospital - and I'll go and sit there for a little while. I -1 suppose none of us can see him?'
Buck shook his head.
'Then I shan't be long.' Ruan walked quietly out of the room and made her way to the mellow little chapel where she used to come and pray that Catrina wouldn't be taken away from her. Its walls on this sad evening took on a strange, beautiful colour, and rain dripped from the tall old fern trees that shaded the path to the oaken door.
She went inside, where there was an air of peace, with white flowers on the altar and a soft speaking light in the eyes of the crucified Christ. Anything could be borne if the love was strong enough. So spoke those eyes as Ruan knelt to pray for the man she so tenderly cared for.
The operation took place at nine o'clock, and it was at midnight when a nurse came to tell them that Mr. Powers had been taken to his room and would remain unconscious throughout the night, and possibly the following day. They were advised to go home, for there was nothing they could do. They could only wait, now, for the surgeon's skill to work its miracle.
'Ruan, come back to the hotel with us,' said Ann. 'You can share my room-'
'You're kind, but I must go home. My stepfather will be wondering what has become of me - I should have telephoned - though if Charme has heard about the accident she'll guess that I've been here, waiting.'
'Are you sure?' Ann looked so anxious. 'Tarquin has said that your stepsister is not a very sympathetic sort-'
'It's best that I go home.'
Ruan wanted to be alone, and at the villa she would be left on her own to brood about Tarquin.
Everything was very quiet when she bade Ann and Buck-ley goodnight and made her way along Melisande Terrace to the villa. A little rain was falling, obscuring the stars, and her memories were poignant as she turned in at the drive and walked to the steps. She seemed to hear Tarquin laughing in the stillness, gripping her hand as they ran off in their masquerade, eager to be alone together by the river, where today that fearful bolt of lightning had struck him down.
She entered the house and closed the door quietly behind her. When she reached her room and switched on the light she found Taffy dozing on the foot of her bed. He lifted his nose from his paws and his fluffy pom-pom of a tail gave a wag as she walked to the bed and stroked him.
'Waiting up for me, Taff ? DO you sense it that tonight there's something amiss with our world?'
The little dog gave a whimper and licked her hand. She hugged him and tears burned in her eyes. His was the only sympathy she could have borne ... not that Charme or her stepfather had bothered to lose any sleep over her.
She carried Taffy to the window seat and he lay on her lap, his presence a comfort as her thoughts dwelt anxiously on that bandaged figure, lying so still in a hospital bed. It was unbearable, for tonight he should have triumphed in the role he had wanted so much to play ... that of Hamlet.
'Goodnight, sweet Prince,' she whispered. 'May you be kept safe through the darkness.'

The following day Ruan was allowed to see Tarquin for just a few minutes. The hospital staff had been told by Buckley Holt that she was the fiancée of the injured actor.
'They'll keep you out otherwise,' Ann whispered, 'Only his nearest is allowed by his bedside ... he has no close relatives, and no one else knows that he has a wife. He needs you, Ruan.'
He had roused a little and the atmosphere in his quiet room was one of hope. A nurse ushered her to his bedside, and behind her reassuring smile there lay a hint of wonder. 'He's such a handsome man,' said the young nurse, and Ruan guessed what she was thinking. Such a man should be engaged to someone madly beautiful. Anxiety had sharpened the contours of her own face, and she was so pale that a kiss would have left a bruise. Her eyes were shadowed from restless sleep, like flowers left out in the rain.
She sat down in the chair beside the bed, knowing she mustn't touch him, though she longed to kiss lightly his lean and hollowed cheek.
Never before had she seen his eyes closed and his face so still. It was not considered the thing to call a man beautiful, but there was in Tarquin's face the aristocratic strength and beauty of fine bones. His lips were moulded as if by the hand of a sculptor. Could she really believe that such a man desired her? Could she hope to hold him ... if when he recovered he took her to Rome, to be with him among smart, worldly people?
Anxiety for him caught her by the throat as her gaze dwelt on the bandages that swathed his head. Hugh Strat-hern was the best, Ann had said. If anyone could make Tarquin well and strong again it was the rather dour surgeon who not so long ago had gone out with a rescue boat to a small island off the coast of Cornwall, to operate on a young boy who had fallen from the cliffs and who might have died but for the skill that had been so fortunately at hand. The surgeon had been staying with a friend who lived in that part of the country.
And then her heart came into her throat as Tarquin's eyes fluttered open. They gazed straight at her, taking in slowly the russet gleam of her hair against the white paintwork of the room. Dwelling on each feature with a gravity that held no glimmer of recognition, Ruan tried not to be alarmed. The nurse had warned her that it would be several days before Mr. Powers regained full awareness of people and of his own identity. He had sustained a fracture of the skull and though the pressure had now been lifted he was still in a state of severe concussion.
*Hullo, darling,' she whispered, but he just went on looking at her with those empty grey eyes, and then he drifted off to sleep again. The nurse came quietly to the bedside and bent over him. 'They always sleep a lot after an operation,' she assured Ruan. 'Sleep will mend him.'
When Ruan left the hospital she wandered by the river. It was sad to look at the Mask, with tarpaulin stretched across the roof and red-lettered banners across the play-boards to announce that the theatre would be closed while repairs were made to the ulterior. Until then the company would take a rest. Some of them might return to London, for actors were superstitious. A theatre struck by lightning took on the aspect of an unlucky house.
Ruan was to meet Ann for tea at Lemon's, but first she called in at the shop to see how Kay was managing and to acquaint her with Tarquin's progress. They couldn't talk for long. Leonard Wells was there serving a customer, and Kay whispered that another girl was taking Ruan's place on Monday. 'I didn't know you were leaving,' she added, looking rather hurt. 'You might have told me.'
'I meant to ...' Ruan remembered with a jolt that all her plans had been geared to going away with Tarquin. Rome had awaited them with its promise of a new life for both of them, but now it might be weeks before Tarquin was fit enough to travel, and in the meantime she was job less. Well, she had her two weeks' holiday money and a little cash saved up. And it would be nice to be free to go and see Tarquin as often as possible.
'Leonard put your basket of violets out in the yard,' Kay said ruefully. 'All that rain in the night has soaked them.'
'It's all right ...' Yet Ruan could have wept, for the violets had been so lovely and everything had seemed so unclouded when the boy had come whistling into the shop with them.
'Here's your perfume.' Kay handed it to her with a quick glance at her employer. 'I'm sorry I can't talk more, Ru. All the best, and I do hope Mr. Powers soon gets well.'
'Everyone is very hopeful." Ruan smiled goodbye at Kay.
'Miss Perry!' Leonard Wells came round to her from his counter and handed her a sealed, buff-coloured envelope. 'I'm sorry you're leaving us. You've always given of your best, and I wish you well in your new position.'
'Thank you, Mr. Wells.' Ruan took the envelope, which she knew contained her stamp-card and her pay cheque, with her fortnight's holiday money added on. 'I've enjoyed working here-'
They both stood hesitant, as if he wished to detain her, as if she half wished he would say the words that would re-employ her.
Then he said, a shade regretfully: 'I've taken on another girl. She's extremely bright and is interested in the antique business.'
'Oh - good.' Ruan smiled. 'I'm sure she'll be just right for you. Goodbye, sir!'
She left quietly, and it was as if a chapter closed in her life. The girl she had been was left behind among the copper ornaments and the porcelain figures. Someone a little older stepped out on to the pavement and walked towards the black and white exterior of Lemon's. Ann awaited her at a corner table, and they shared a pot of tea and ate thinly cut anchovy sandwiches without much appetite. Until Tarquin was quite out of danger they would be anxious, rather listless. Then catching each other's eye they forced themselves to smile and talk of other things.
'Buck is working on the designs for a play to be produced at the Shaftesbury in October,' said Ann. 'It's a mod production of a Greek drama I acted with Tarquin at the Herod Atticus Theatre in Athens. It's a wonderful place, with a great basin of stone seats and a wide, open-air stage with a background of arches all tawny with age. The acoustics are marvellous. Tarquin would stand at the centre of the stage and let his voice ring to the very last rim of seats. "Go tell the king: The laurels are cut down; the fair-wrought halls have fallen to the ground" '
Ann smiled a little sadly. 'Almost prophetic, those words when you come to think of it.'
'Greece must be a wonderful country.' Ruan was pushing a pastry around her plate with a restless hand. Greece, Rome, the world at large. These places were Tarquin's arena, and she felt suddenly that she would never see their reality. They were a dream, as perhaps Tarquin's love was. What if he had forgotten her for good, the girl from Aven-don, so innocently ardent, touching the fringes of the life he shared so actively with people such as Ann and Buckley?
'Athens,' said Ann, 'apart from the temple ruins and the classical drama is the noisiest place on earth. We loved the acting, the bouzouki music played in the tavernas, and the dancing, but we weren't sorry to get away from the traffic and the blaring motor horns. London is peaceful by comparison. We stage people love the limelight, but there are times when we'd give our souls for a little peace.'
'What happens when the novelty of being peaceful wears off?' Ruan smiled, but there was a nervous quiver to her lips. It was as if Ann had revealed unconsciously what it was in Ruan that Tarquin had turned to.
*We dash back madly to the bright lights, like a lot of giddy moths.' Ann broke into a smile, and then gazed solemnly at Ruan. 'You look so worried, my pet - all eyes and heart Hell get well, I just know it. He's a fighter, is Quin, of the stuff that the Arran islanders are made, strong-souled, with much to do before his star sets. Ruan, you mustn't t fret.' Ann patted her hand, and fingered the blue scarab ring with its shining wings. From Quin?'
Yes. It's a friendship ring.'
"Friendship?' Ann looked teasing. 'You're far too humble, my dear. You'd make a poor actress. My outlook on love is that it's to be enjoyed, not treated as if a man does a girl a great honour by wanting to love her. I get the impression that you're rather afraid of what's between you and Quin. He's only a mortal man, you know. He looks like Apollo, but when Zeus hurled die thunderbolt he couldn't deflect it,'
'His nurse looked at me so oddly,' Ruan's eyes met Ann's, a tiny smile in them. 'I think I shocked her sense of propriety by not looking the picture of glamour.'
'Quin sees all the glamour he needs,' Ann rejoined. He's a rather serious person at heart - and then there's Nina, so pretty it must hurt him, and unable to share his life. Her people had no right to let her many him. They must have known she had a nervous illness and that it could get worse.'
"Perhaps they hoped that marriage would cure her.'
'Marriage with an ambitious young actor? He was going places from the moment he stepped on a stage. It was sheer bad hick that he should meet the girl and be so dazzled by her that he couldn't see that she was all wrong for him. Strange about Quin. His public life has been faultless, but in his private life he's been so unlucky. You could be so good for him, Ruan.'
'What if by loving him I brought down the coals of fire on his head?' Ruan asked gravely. 'He belongs to Nina. Nothing can alter that. I am the interloper.'
'You're too introspective,' Ann argued. *You mustn't let yourself believe that you're unlucky for him. He needs someone like you.'
'I... I don't know.' Ruan touched with her fingertips the scarab ring she had been so wary of taking from him. 'Today at the hospital he didn't know me at all. He looked at me as if I were a stranger.'
'For a time we might all be strangers to him. You must be prepared for that, Ruan. Tell me,' Ann studied her slender face with its winged eyebrows and too-sensitive mouth, 'how old are you? I don't mean to sound nosey, but Buck thinks you're about seventeen.'
'Oh no.' Ruan gave a laugh. 'I shall be twenty in September. My mother always said that I was born with the harvest moon. She said it was huge the night I arrived, that I hopped off it.'
'Quin calls you Pierrette, doesn't he?'
Ruan smiled her agreement. 'Do you think I behave as if I were seventeen? I've often thought of myself as being a bit square. I mean, I don't go for pop music or pop idols. I find all that terribly juvenile.'
'You look so young, so untouched,' Ann mused. 'That look of eternal youth will one day make your husband appear a cradle-snatcher.'
'My - husband?' Ruan's gaze drifted past Ann to the window beside their table, and it was a relief when other members of the Mask company came into the restaurant, spotted Ann and came over to inquire after Tarquin, and to talk with animation about the stricken theatre and their plans for the rest of the season.
Ruan listened for a while, and then feeling an onlooker rather than a participant, she slipped away and none of the group noticed that she had gone. Even Ann was absorbed in the theatre talk. It was for these people the breath of life. They lived for the raising of the first curtain and the drama of the play.
Ruan walked slowly home, and later when she telephoned the hospital she was told that Mr. Powers was comfortable and making satisfactory progress. It was all so cool and clinical, and a bleak little light came into her eyes.
'Thank you.' She turned from the phone to find Charme looking at her from the staircase. Her stepsister was on the way out to an appointment She wore a cream suit with a soft ring of fawn-coloured fur around the deep collar. Her heels were high, her nylons sheer, her gaze inquisitive.
'I've heard a funny rumour,' she said casually. 'Simon got it from a reporter on the Avendon Herald. It seems that your Tarquin Powers is a married man - did you know, sweetie, or has he been keeping you in the dark?'
'Yes, I knew,' said Ruan with a sigh. By tomorrow the news would be all over Avendon, and she shrank from the tag 'the other woman' which would be hung around her neck.
'You are your mother's daughter, aren't you?' drawled Charme. 'Soft-hearted and ready to be taken in by the first good-looking man who comes your way. I hope, my dear, that you took heed of what I said to you the other evening. Father and I want no scandal on our doorstep.'
'Don't worry!' Ruan drew herself up very straight, a willow of a girl, with the sunset light in her russet hair making it burn around her pale young face. 'I intend to move out right away. I can get a room at the Bard and Harp - tell your father that he has always been as kind to me as you would allow.'
Charme slowly raised an eyebrow, and then with a cool self-containment she walked to the front door. 'Please yourself! You're no infant or that actor wouldn't want you. I'll say this much for you, Ruan, you have the courage of your foolishness. Don't you know that Father and I could
have arranged a much more suitable match for you?'
Ruan stared at Charme and her heart began to thump in the most alarming fashion. 'Who - who are you talking about?'
•You met him, my pet. He's been abroad for many years and has got out of touch with the people he knew, the girls, he might have courted, and now that he has settled down in a house of his own he wants someone to share it with him.'
'You can't mean Eduard Talgarth?'
•Why not?'
'But I thought-'
'What did you think? That I was going to give up Simon to run a large old mansion down in Cornwall? Not on your life! As I told Eduard, you're the type for cliffs and coves and a draughty chateau. I believe he agreed with me, and he might have proposed if you hadn't shown him so plainly that you thought him unattractive.'
'I ... I disliked his arrogance.' Ruan was shocked by the mere idea of being proposed to by that dark, piratical man from Cornwall. If she had known what the St. Cyrs had in mind she would have left their house several weeks ago. They had actually thought of handing her over to that bold stranger as if she were a bale of goods he might have carried on one of those island-hopping ships of his!
'I'm glad he left Avendon,' she exclaimed.
'No man likes to be shown by a girl that she finds him hateful. I thought he had a certain rugged charm, but a man who wants to live in the wilds, with the sea pounding at his door, is not my glass of champagne.' Charme flicked her hazel-gold eyes over her young stepsister. 'What puzzles me is what you've got. Is it something fey and Celtic for older men only? None of my boy-friends ever found you pretty, though your hair isn't a bad colour, if you'd only have such a mane cut and styled.'
'It suits me.' Ruan tossed back the russet mane with a defiant movement of her head, and the flash to her eyes made Charme look at her with sharp curiosity.
'And the actor, presumably. Is he separated from his wife?'
'No - she happens to be an invalid.'
'Oh, I see.'
'No, Charme, you don't see anything. Tarquin and I like each other, but there has never been a love affair.'
'You were his muse, eh, until the lightning struck. What now, Ruan? Personally speaking I think you'd do better to think about a husband rather than a married boy-friend.'
'Someone like Eduard Talgarth, who thinks love can be bought?'
'The gilt wears off romance quicker than it wears off a bonded security,' Charme drawled. 'We might have been friends, you and I, if you had never been such a dreamer, like a character in a Lewis Carroll book who can't come down to earth. You're like Alice who wandered through the looking glass and found herself at a party where everyone talked of things she couldn't understand. In the end she ran away!'
The door snapped shut. Charme had gone, but her words lingered in the hall with her perfume.
'In the end she ran away... ran away...'

عرض البوم صور darla  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك