ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
CUTE ROSE ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : CUTE ROSE ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

CHAPTER EIGHT
VOLLEYBALL.., swimming, followed by a barbecue meant layered dressing, and Danielle donned a bikini, added a wrap-around skirt and matching top, then she tossed Lycra gym shorts and top into a gym bag, together with a towel, bra and briefs, minimum make up and sun block.
‘Ready?’
‘As ready as I’ll ever be for a fun afternoon in the sun.’ If Cristina happened to be among the guests, she’d scream.
Rafe added a towel to his gym bag, closed the zip, then led the way down to the garage.
He looked incredibly fit attired in fatigue-style shorts and a chambray shirt, his tall frame and breadth of shoulder emphasised by the casual attire.
He displayed an electric energy, a raw sensuality that made fools of women and reminded some men of their own inadequacies.
Dynamite. In the bedroom and out of it, Danielle accorded as Rafe brought the car to a smooth halt in the driveway leading to their hosts’ stylish home.
Open-plan living, with an abundance of marble floors, modem furniture, and magnificent outdoor accoutrements, for there was a pool, a tennis court, and direct access to the beach.
Guests were already assembled on the spacious terrace, and she summoned a smile as she moved into their midst, greeting acquaintances. Women who had previously ignored her now gave the impression of being her very best friend.
It rankled, perhaps more than it should.
There were cool drinks, bite-size appetizers, and the ambience was casual. Designer gear was deri geur.
‘You’re very quiet.’
She turned to the man at her side, and offered him a stunning smile. ‘Forgive me, I didn’t realise scintillating conversation was required.’
Rafe’s eyes gleamed with musing cynicism. ‘Our host will announce the volleyball event any time soon.,
‘Thus providing the women an opportunity to Cavort with the men, all in the name of sport.’
‘Cavort, querida? I can think of a more pleasing way to expend physical energy than sport.’
Danielle directed him a level glance. ‘I seem to recollect you did that last night.’
His soft, husky laughter almost undid her. ‘Obviously I failed to make much impact.’
They both knew there was no truth to the statement. She’d reacted to his touch like a finely tuned instrument in the hands of a maestro. And barely restrained begging for more.
‘I’m not into ego-stroking.’ A flash of colour, the sound of tinkling laughter caused her to glance to wards the French doors. ‘I’ll leave the lovely Cristina to make up for my loss.’
‘Where do you think you’re going?’
‘Why, to mix and mingle,’ she murmured. ‘I don’t intend to stay and watch her seduction technique.’
‘You’d leave me to cope alone?’
Her mouth curved with wicked humour. ‘Some thing you’ll achieve with one hand tied behind your back,’ she accorded, and turned towards the glamorous blonde. ‘Cristina,’ she acknowledged with pseudo-politeness. ‘If you’ll excuse me?’
‘Of course, darling.’
Danielle wandered towards the bar and had her glass refilled with soda, then she glanced out across the bay, admiring the tranquil scene. Azure sky, blue ocean bearing colourful craft tacking across its surface. Cruisers, motorboats, families enjoying a week end outing.
Inevitably her gaze skimmed back to Rafe, and she examined his features in profile. The strong jaw, the broad cheekbones, and well-groomed dark hair.
Cristina was intent on commanding his attention, arid from here it looked as if the blonde was pulling out all the stops. The beautiful practised smile, the tilt of her head, the light touch of brilliantly lacquered nails against his forearm.
Charm personified, Danielle alluded, and dismissed the faint twinge of jealousy. To experience jealousy you had to care, and she didn’t. So why did it irritate the hell out of her to see Cristina paw the man who’d paid for a child and several years of her life?
Almost as if he sensed her appraisal, he turned his head and slanted her a long, studied glance.
With a deliberate gesture, she took a long sip from
her glass then began an earnest discussion with the person standing close by.
It was perhaps as well their host chose that moment to announce the volleyball would commence.
What wicked wit had thought to place Cristina on the same side as Rafe and Danielle on the opposing side? Worse, the glamorous blonde had stripped down to a bikini. Grr!
This is the beach, Danielle silently chastised. Except fun was one thing; outright flaunting was something else.
Later, the players switched sides and Danielle found herself lined up next to Cristina. Not a good move, proven when she somehow managed to trip and land in the sand, orchestrated by a deliberately placed leg.
Well, two could play at that game. Except during the ensuing ten minutes she didn’t get a chance to return an elbow jab or a stinging kick to a calf muscle.
It was a relief when the first round concluded and they retired to the pool while the remaining guests began their game.
Cristina executed a dive that showcased the perfection of her slender form. Danielle merely slid in from the pool’s ledge.
She trod water as Rafe moved to her side. His eyes were dark, his gaze level, and she almost died as his mouth closed over hers in a kiss that tore the breath from her throat.
‘What do you think you’re doing?’ she demanded the instant he lifted his head.
‘Do I need a reason?’
‘Yes.’ With that she swam away from him, levered her body onto the side, then gathered up her towel, located her gym bag, and made for the guest pool- house.
It didn’t take long to shower and change, and she emerged from the stall into the tiled lobby to discover Cristina waiting her turn.
Pretty little scene you managed to engineer in the pool.’
This was getting tedious. ‘I don’t believe I owe you an explanation,’ Danielle responded as she swept her hair into a careless knot atop her head.
‘Watch your step,’ Cristina warned, and Danielle met the blonde’s gaze via mirrored reflection.
‘All the time.’
‘You don’t stand a chance against me.’.
She turned round to face a woman she knew to be her enemy. ‘Be specific.’
‘Figure it Out, darling.’
‘Are you threatening me?’
‘You mean you need to ask?’
‘Good luck, Cristina.’ Her voice was a silky drawl, and she glimpsed a flash of rage before it was reined in.
‘I never leave anything to chance.’
Danielle had had enough, and without a further word she affected a dignified exit.
The barbecue got under way around seven, with seafood kebabs, prawns, fish, and a variety of salads. Washed down with champagne it was a veritable feast.
The sun began to slip down beyond the horizon,
and dusk turned into dark. Electric lamps sprang to life, illuminating the terraced gardens and pool, and the sea became grey, almost black, as a silvery moon appeared in a star-studded velvet sky.
Coffee was served, and Danielle was conscious of Rafe’s presence as they mingled among fellow guests.
It was after ten when the evening drew to a close, and she sat in silence as Rafe traversed the short distance home.
Indoors he re-set the alarm and followed her up stairs to their room.
‘Nothing to say?’ Rafe drawled as he began discarding his clothes.
‘It was a pleasant afternoon, the food was great,’ Danielle accorded matter of factly. ‘Tomorrow’s another day, I’m tired.’ She shot him a piercing glance. ‘Will that do?’
He crossed to her side, then hunkered down and examined her leg, pressing his fingers into her calf muscle.
‘Must you?’ she demanded, then winced at the sudden pain. ‘That hurt.’
He massaged the muscle lightly, then unbent his length. ‘You’ll have a bruise.’ His hand moved to her ribcage, and she slapped his forearm.
‘Don’t.’ A useless directive, for he didn’t take the slightest notice. ‘Ouch.’
‘I’ll get some cream to reduce the bruising.’
‘I don’t need it.’ She turned away from him, and stepped into the en suite. Within minutes she’d re moved her clothes, donned a T-shirt, removed her make-up and brushed her teeth.
When she emerged into the bedroom he was standing beside the bed, tube in hand.
‘Oh, for heaven’s sake. Give it to me.’ She went to take it from him, only to have him ignore her and apply the cream. ‘Must you play nursemaid?’ she vented angrily. ‘Your ex-mistress is a vicious bitch.’
He finished with the cream, tossed the tube onto a nearby pedestal, then captured her face and lowered his mouth down to hers.
‘That isn’t going to work,’ Danielle said the moment she could speak.
‘I can see it won’t.’ He angled his mouth and took her deep.
When he lifted his head her eyes were glazed with passion, her lips pink and slightly swollen. He re turned for more, grazing the curve of her mouth with the edge of his teeth before trailing to the edge of her neck and nuzzling there.
He sensed the silent groan in her throat, and caressed the vulnerable hollow where her pulse leapt to a quickened beat, then he pulled her gently down onto the bed.
Thursday morning they took a flight to Coolangatta Airport, then rode a taxi to the Palazzo Versace situated at Main Beach overlooking the broad water.
The hotel itself was a draw card for the tourists, and each of the privately owned condominiums provided a luxury only the wealthy could afford.
Italian in design, the mosaic tiles in the foyer were an art form, and Danielle gasped in sheer delight as
she preceded Rafe into a luxurious condominium with views over the water.
Furnished completely by Versace-designed accoutrements, right down to cushions, china, cutlery, crystal.
It was, in a word, beautiful, and she told him so.
‘Enjoy, querida,’ Rafe bade indulgently. ‘If you need to contact me, do so on my cell phone. I’ll book dinner.’
It was a few years since she’d last visited the Coast, and she intended to explore. First priority was the apartment itself, the amenities, then she wandered into the adjacent Marina Mirage shopping complex, lingered in one of the cafés over a latte, and walked to Tedder Avenue at Main Beach, which had remained just as trendy as she remembered.
There was also the knowledge she wasn’t pregnant, and she didn’t know whether to be pleased or peeved at the discovery.
It was almost five when she entered the apartment, and she collected fresh underwear and headed straight for the shower.
Minutes later she gave a startled gasp as the door slid open and Rafe stepped into the tiled stall.
‘Must you?’ Danielle demanded fiercely.
‘Why not relax and enjoy?’
- ‘Forget seduction, it won’t do you any good.’
They’d been intimate every night for almost three weeks. He didn’t need for her to spell out the why of it.
His hands skimmed down over her shoulders and rested on her breasts. ‘There are many ways to indulge one another.’
‘None of which I’m buying.’
A husky laugh left his throat an instant before his mouth captured hers, and the kiss left her wanting, needing more, much more.
It was a while before he lifted his head, and he traced the sensitive curve of her lip, his eyes as dark as her own.
‘So be it.’ He patted the firm cheek of her bottom. ‘Now go.’
She did, and was almost dressed when he entered the bedroom. All she’d packed was a change of clothes and an elegant evening trouser suit in red silk. Black stilettos and matching evening bag completed the outfit, and she swept her hair into a smooth twist.
The restaurant overlooked the broad and the food was to die for, so artistically arranged on the plate it was almost a sin to disturb it.
It was, Danielle decided, nice to be alone with him. No other guests at the table with whom she felt compelled to exchange polite conversation.- And no possibility of Cristina intruding.
‘Did you buy the condominium off the floor plan?’
‘Two,’ Rafe corrected imperturbably. ‘One for my own use, and one to lease as an investment.’
Given the location and design, the value could only escalate.
‘I gather your business meeting this afternoon was successful?’ As if it would be otherwise.
‘Yes.’
She lifted her glass and took a sip of wine. ‘What time is our flight out tomorrow?’
‘Late morning.’
Such a brief stay. Would they return in the not too distant future?
‘Yes. In a few months,’ Rafe drawled, and saw her surprise. ‘You have expressive features.’
‘Not so you.’ It was impossible to read him, and she wondered if she ever would.
‘Coffee?’
They took their time with it, then Rafe settled the bill, and they strolled along the boulevard, enjoying the night sounds. Luxury cruisers lay moored at the marina, and the numerous cafés lining the broad water were busy with the boutique coffee crowd.
Rafe reached for her hand, and she linked her fingers through his.
Less than a month ago she’d sworn to hate this man, yet with each passing day there appeared a subtle shift in her emotions.
He was her husband, her lover. In time he would become the father of her child. Was it possible he could also be her friend?
And when their relationship was reduced to friends, how would she deal with it?
Not well, a tiny voice taunted. The knowledge slammed into her brain and settled there, sending her into contemplative silence.
Fool, she accorded silently. The wine has gone to your head. Rafe Valdez had presented her with a business proposition, which she’d accepted on his terms.
A business proposition their relationship would re main. Even if it killed her.
The days settled into a familiar pattern, and there was a sense of achievement as well as pleasure in seeing La Femme go from strength to strength with increased clue and soaring profits.
At night Danielle dealt with the shimmering passion Rafe was able to evoke. Electrifying and incredibly sensual, it fed a primitive hunger and left her wanting more than just an enjoyment of the physical act.
Planning for Lillian’s proposed fund-raiser took presence as she conferred with Ariane and calculated the extra stock required, ensured the orders were placed in time for delivery,
The day duly arrived, and organisation was the key; that .and lunch on the run, Danielle reflected as she close the boutique, ensured the notice announcing a private showing was clearly visible, then she checked out the seating, adjusting a chair here and there to ensure they were staggered to enable guests seated in the rear row would be able to view the parade with ease.
A magnificent floral arrangement held centre place against the mirrored wall behind the counter... a good luck gift from Rafe.
‘What do you think?’
‘Darling, it looks wonderful,’ Ariane enthused.
The caterers had not long delivered a variety of appetizers, and a large cooler out back held the champagne orange juice.
The afternoon’s programme had been rechecked twice, the lingerie and underwear set out in order.
Three models were due any minute, together with Lillian and a few volunteers to help out.
CDs were ready in the disc player, and it was just a matter of waiting for the guests to arrive.
At that moment Lillian breezed through the door with her volunteers, and two of the models followed close behind.
‘There’s a slight change of plan,’ Lillian informed. ‘The third girl we contacted to model has called in sick, and I’ve managed to find a replacement. It’s so kind of Cristina to fill in at such short notice.’
At that moment the tall blonde entered the boutique and swept towards them.
Cristina? Saving the day, or employing subterfuge? Danielle summoned a smile and subdued the desire to snarl. ‘Kind,’ she agreed, hating the role that forced her to be polite. ‘The other models are in the fitting rooms. Leanne, our assistant, will go through the pro gramme with you.’
Ariane checked her watch and moved with Lillian towards the entrance to greet the first group of guests.
By the appointed time all the chairs were filled, the champagne flowed, and the show was ready to begin.
So much thought and care had gone into its preparation, there was little chance of there being a hitch. Danielle had the programme memorised to the smallest detail, and the tension began to build as the first segment was shown.
After considerable deliberation, it had been decided to begin with s1eepwear then finish with the more daring thong briefs and minuscule bras. Three models, three colours in each category of styles.
La Femme now carried a full and varied stock of top French, German and Belgian labels guaranteed to please the most fastidious buyer.
Silk pyjamas in ivory, pale peach and cream drew murmurs of approval; exquisite full-length night- gowns and negligées were also a hit; the length changed with each round, until the most frivolous al most-there line was shown. Silk wraps in glorious colours followed.
So far, so good, Danielle breathed as there was a brief break while Lillian’s volunteers refilled the guests’ flutes with champagne and proffered appetizers.
‘The feedback so far is excellent,’ Ariane reported as they prepared for the next segment featuring slips in every length, colour and design, silk, satin, lace.
‘Most everyone is marking items off on the programme,’ Leanne informed. ‘If they decide to buy you’ll need to place a huge order for replacement stock.’
Dared she cross her fingers for luck? The temptation was almost irresistible.
The phone rang, and Ariane took the call, spoke a few words quietly, then she replaced the receiver and crossed to her daughter’s side.
‘Rafe, darling. He’s in the area and will call in for a few minutes.’
A solitary man in a woman’s domain? ‘When?’
‘He has just pulled up in the rear parking area.’
Danielle felt the tension headache accelerate. ‘I’ll
go let him in,’ she managed calmly. Quite a feat when she felt anything but calm as she moved through the back room to unlock the door.
Rafe stood framed in the aperture, one hand casually thrust into a trouser pocket of his impeccably tailored business suit.
A dark angel, she accorded silently, and tamped down the slow-burning flame coursing through her body.
He shouldn’t have this effect on her, and she assured herself she didn’t covet it.
‘What are you doing here?’
One eyebrow arched and his eyes assumed a humorous gleam. ‘Is there a reason why I shouldn’t be?’
Oh, hell, she had to marshal some control! ‘It’s unexpected.’ She stood aside, then locked up behind him. ‘The parade is in full swing.’
‘It’s going well?’
‘I think so.’
Firm fingers caught hold of her chin and tilted it. ‘But?’
‘Nothing.’
His gaze raked her features, caught the faint edge of pain evident, and brushed a thumb pad over her mouth. ‘Nothing gives you a headache?’
She managed to free herself from his grasp. ‘Are you staying?’
He hadn’t planned to. His original intention had been to move through the boutique, greet Mane, Lillian, linger a few minutes to provide a little weight to the success of the parade, then leave.
Now he changed his mind. ‘Will it disturb you if I do?’
Oh, my, what a question! ‘I’m sure your appearance out front will disturb a few of the guests.’ And delight one particular model.
His husky laughter sent warmth flooding through her veins. ‘I’ll try to be unobtrusive.’
‘Sure, and pigs might fly,’ she retaliated, .and wasn’t anywhere near quick enough to escape the brief hard kiss he bestowed on her mouth.
She shot him a dark glance as she reached into her bag, extracted a slim tube and took a few seconds to renew her lipstick.
Rafe’s presence had just the effect Danielle anticipated, for the guests sat up a little straighter, smiled a little more brightly, and the models when they took the floor for the next segment seemed to possess a lighter step, their movements noticeably more pro vocative.
His eyes narrowed as he saw Cristina emerge, and his features remained expressionless as be observed the model’s performance.
The blonde was trouble, and he had to wonder what lengths she’d gone to in order to replace the model contracted to appear at this afternoon’s assignment. Somehow he doubted Lillian Stanich would have conspired to the change. It was more likely Cristina had enquired which models had been contracted, then offered one of them a higher fee to call in sick.
Exotic lacy teddies had little effect on his libido, although there was appreciation for the cut and style
and the slender toned bodies of the girls who wore them.
He let his attention rest on his wife’s features, and glimpsed the strain beneath her smile.
The parade was scheduled to conclude at four, and if he left immediately he’d still make his four-thirty appointment.
Danielle did her best to ignore him. Not an easy task when her mouth still tingled from his kiss, and she was battling with a mixture of resignation and anger at his presence.
Why didn’t he go? Or was he deriving vicarious pleasure from watching near-naked young women parade in titillating underwear?
Satin bra and pants sets, briefs that ranged from hipster, bikini, to thong. The latter so minuscule the garment was a mere whisper of lace.
Cristina was in her element playing the role of seductive temptress as she circled the boutique, pausing every few steps to pose. Her gaze deliberately sought Rafe, and the tantalising sweep of her eyelashes, the soft pouting mouth, the witching smile all conspired to give the impression she was bent on reminding him what was on offer.
Danielle failed to see how anyone in the room could miss the blonde’s blatant invitation.
The final segment concluded, Mane relayed a gracious few words in thanks to Lillian for arranging the afternoon’s gathering, and encouraged the guests to utilise their discount vouchers in aid of a worthwhile fund-raiser.
Coffee was served, together with petit fours, and
Rafe lingered only long enough to speak with Lillian, then he took his leave. But not before Cristina way laid him on some nefarious pretext.
Danielle deliberately focused her attention on the guests lining up at the counter with their programmes and their discount vouchers.
Business was brisk. In fact, it was so good, a number of guests were still lingering in the boutique when it came to closing time.
Lillian, an exemplary organiser, had arranged for the hire firm to collect the chairs at five, together with the cooler, and after the final guest had departed Ariane, Leanne and Danielle began cleaning up and restoring order.
Consequently it was almost seven when Danielle entered the house, and she made for the stairs.
Rafe’s car was in the garage, so obviously he was home. Hopefully he’d already eaten and was ensconced in the study.
She reached the bedroom and entered the en suite, intent on filling the spa-bath, then she discarded her clothes, pinned up her hair, and sank into the warm water.
Bliss, she accorded silently as she switched on the jets, then she leant her head back and closed her eyes.
Danielle lost count of time as she reflected on the successful afternoon in terms of stock exposure and sales. The only fly in the ointment had been Cristina.
‘That bad, hmm?’
Her lashes swept upwards at the sound of Rafe’s voice, and her eyes widened as he hunkered down and handed her a flute of champagne.
He touched the rim of his flute to hers. ‘To a successful afternoon.’
He looked vaguely piratical in dark jeans, his shirt unbuttoned and the sleeves turned back. This close he was a threat to her equilibrium.
‘I forgot to thank you for the floral display,’ Danielle offered politely.
‘My pleasure.’
‘It was thoughtful of you to stop by.’
He smiled, at least one step ahead of her. ‘But a severe case of overkill to have stayed for more than an hour, hmm?’
She swept him a killer glance. ‘The guests positively glowed in your presence.’
‘My sole interest was one of support.’
‘Really?’ She wanted to throw something at him. ‘That’s why you stayed? Forgive me for imagining it was just to leer at the semi-nude models.’
His husky laughter was the living end.
‘Querida, I was far more tempted just looking at you, knowing what lay beneath that chic business suit, aware that it’s mine for the taking,’ Rafe drawled, ‘than viewing exotic underwear on women who have no appeal for me whatsoever.’
‘Cristina didn’t seem to think so,’ she shot back.
‘Naturally, as an exhibitionist with an impossible ego.’
‘As far as she was concerned, she was giving a private showing just for you.’
‘Jealous?’
She picked up the sponge and threw it at him.
He fielded it easily, tossed it back into the spa, then he uncurled his lengthy frame. ‘You want I should join you?’
‘if you get in, I’ll get out,’ she offered succinctly, and felt her eyes widen as he pulled off his shirt and reached for the snap fastening on his jeans.
‘I wouldn’t bank on it.’
Danielle scrambled to her feet as he discarded his jeans, briefs, toed off his trainers, and he grasped hold of her arm as she attempted to step out of the tub.
‘Let me go!’
There was something almost pagan about him as he joined her, a raw sexual energy that was infinitely primitive.
‘Don’t.’ She tried to evade him, and found herself pulled down into the cradle of his arms.
‘Relax.’
How could she relax, for heaven’s sake? Even as she struggled, his hands slid up her arms and he began kneading the tight muscles at the base of her nape.
Oh, God, that felt good. So good, she breathed silently, giving in to the magic of his touch.
After a few minutes she couldn’t help herself. ‘You do that very well.’
She felt the brush of his lips against the curve of her shoulder.
‘One hopes it’s not the only thing I do well.’ She could hear the amusement evident in his voice, and her body began to throb as sensation swirled, reaching every nerve-end until she felt as if she was on fire.
‘What do you want? A score on a rating from one to ten?’
Laughter rumbled from his throat. ‘Heaven forbid.’
‘I’d like to get out now.’
‘We’re not nearly done.’
The tactile touch ignited a flame deep within, and she groaned .
All it took was a circling sweep and sensation spiralled, taking her high. His lips caressed her nape, and she arched against the sensual probe of his fingers. She made no protest as he scooped her into his arms and stepped out of the spa.
Rafe snagged a towel and blotted the excess moisture from her skin, then dragged the towel over his body before leading her to the bed.
One tug and the bedcovers slithered onto the floor, then he pulled her down with him.
It was she who began to move, she who dictated the pace, and she exulted in the power a woman could have over a man. Aware of the animalistic passion, and raw intensity that consumed them both as they climaxed, then tumbled in a glorious drift of sensual emotion.
Afterwards she slept, and it was almost midnight when they ventured downstairs to replenish their energy levels with something as prosaic as food.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ CUTE ROSE  
ÞÏíã 03-12-07, 09:12 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 12
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Mar 2007
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 26409
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 155
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: CUTE ROSE ÚÖæ ÈÍÇÌå Çáì ÊÍÓíä æÖÚå
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 49

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏQatar

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

CHAPTER NINE
SHARING breakfast on the terrace was a relaxing way to kick-start the day and Danielle took a generous sip of strong coffee as she let her gaze wanders over the gardens. Antonio’s efforts with the lawns, the plants, showed tremendous care and dedication, and the visual effect was stunning. The couple’s work hours coincided with her own, which meant they entered the house after she left and were gone by the time she returned.
Toorak was a well-established moneyed suburb, with a pleasing mix of modern and old homes, some of which stood in spacious grounds.
Rafe’s home was no exception, and high walls lent an air of privacy and seclusion, despite the suburb’s close proximity to the inner city.
‘I have a week of meetings in Paris and London,’ Rafe informed as he drained the last of his coffee. ‘We fly out tomorrow.’
He rankled. ‘I suppose you’ve already discussed this with Ariane, Leanne is prepared to work, and the whole thing is a fail accompli.’
Rafe inclined his head. ‘Would you have preferred a time-wasting argument?’
‘You won’t give me the option to refuse?’
There was an edge of humour apparent. ‘Do you want to?’
She opened her mouth, then closed it again. Paris. She’d have the opportunity to visit the lingerie houses, revisit a few of her favourite places... A win some smile curved her lips. ‘Who would protest about a trip to Paris?’
Even in the cold, drizzling weather of a northern hemispheric winter, Paris still retained its magic.
Danielle dismissed the misty fog hanging heavily on the air, buttoned her coat and swung the woollen scarf round her neck.
It had been five years since she last visited, and there were places she wanted to explore, an art gallery, the Left Bank, a favoured café she’d haunted during her sojourn in this beautiful city.
The skies might be grey, but her mood was as bright as a rainbow.
She adored the ambience, the sense of history apparent. A place where battles had been fought long before, the generations of Parisians who’d walked these streets, the architecture...
It didn’t matter that Rafe would be tied up in business meetings all day. There was the Louvre, Notre Dame, and no visit to Paris was complete without viewing the city from the Eiffel Tower. St-Germain des-Prés...
Danielle sighed, and quickened her footsteps, intent to make the most of the few days she had here.
There was the thrill of being able to shop, and, although she could have gone crazy with Rafe’s credit card, she resisted the temptation by being selective. Very selective. A gift for Ariane, something small for Leanne, and a token for Elena.
It was after six when she entered their luxury hotel on the Avenue des Champs-E1ys and took the lift up to their suite.
Rafe was already there, his jacket discarded and his tie pulled free as he poured himself a drink.
He took one look at her pink cheeks and sparkling eyes, then he crossed the room and took her mouth in a lingering kiss.
‘Good day?’
‘Wonderful.’ She offered him a smile that curled round his heart and tugged a little. ‘You?’
‘The French like to haggle.’
‘A stand-off, huh?’
‘You could say that’
‘And you won’t give in.’ It was a statement, not a query.
‘No.’ The deal, if it was cut, would be on his terms. Danielle deposited the signature carry-bags onto a chair, and began unbuttoning her coat.
Rafe slid his hands inside its warmth and pulled her close to nuzzle the sweet hollow beneath her ear lobe. ‘Come share my shower.’ His palms slipped low to cup her bottom, drawing her in against his arousal.
He wanted her, needing the sweetness, and more than anything he wanted to lose himself inside her, to hold her close and temporarily forget the frustrations of the day.
Then, he determined, they’d dress and go some where for dinner, eat fine food, drink a little wine, then stroll back to the hotel.
‘I’m not sure that’s a good idea.’
His lips brushed the edge of her jaw and settled on the edge of her mouth. ‘No?’
‘We might not get out of this suite.’
‘And that’s a problem?’ He nipped the soft fullness of her lip, then soothed it with his tongue.
‘This is Paris,’ Danielle said simply, as if that said it all, and he chuckled an instant before he conducted a slow sweep of her mouth.
She kissed him back, and couldn’t help the way her body responded as he deepened the kiss with a hunger that matched her own.
Their clothes were an impossible barrier, and they dispensed with them, letting them drop where they stood.
Rafe took a few seconds to throw back the bed covers, then he tumbled her down onto the bed.
‘Careful, querida,’ he warned softly, and lowered his mouth to hers .
She hadn’t thought it possible to feel like this every time, and she held on in a mutual slaking of desire that swept them high.
Was that her voice crying out? Begging? The thought fled as she became caught up in such a tide of emotion that she shattered into a thousand pieces at the moment of climax.
Dear heaven.
There wasn’t a single word she could utter as he disengaged, then scooped her into his arms and carried her through to the en suite.
Cataclysmic whispered through her brain long minutes later as they soaped each other. Earth- shattering sex, she added silently.
Half an hour later they emerged from the hotel and walked briskly in the cold night air. They could, probably should, have frequented one of the hotel’s restaurants, and not ventured outdoors.
However, fine restaurants lined the streets and avenues radiating off the Champs-Elysées, and they didn’t need to walk far before they ventured into an elite establishment, where Rafe requested, in faultless French, the maître d’ find them a table.
The wine, the food, both were superb; a true gourmet delight, Danielle complimented as she declined dessert and requested coffee.
Rafe had the look of a satisfied cat... a sleek panther, she decided, all too aware of the power beneath the Italian tailoring, the crisp white shirt.
Even thinking what he could do to her set all her nerve-ends on edge, and renewed warmth invaded her body.
lie knew. She could tell from the indolent gleam in those dark eyes, the warm curve of his mouth.
‘Danielle? Danielle d’Alboa?’
The voice was familiar, the man’s features even more so.
‘Jean-Claude?’ There was disbelief in her voice, then soft laughter emerged from her throat as she lifted her face to receive his salutary kiss to each cheek. Her eyes sparkled. ‘I don’t believe it.’
‘It is I who does not believe you are back in Paris, chérie.’ He glanced from her to Rafe, and back again. ‘Are you not going to introduce us?’
‘Of course. Jean-Claude Sebert, Rafael Valdez.’
‘Her husband,’ Rafe drawled, intent on claiming ownership.
Danielle sensed the faint warning edge in his tone, and briefly wondered at it.
‘Jean-Claude is an old friend,’ she explained. It had been years, at least five, and he’d been very good to her. ‘Please, you must join us. We were just about to order coffee.’
‘Chérie, you are sure I am not intruding?’ He glanced towards the man who had put a ring on her finger, and wondered at the wisdom of annoying him.
Rafe gestured towards the vacant chair. ‘Please.’
‘So, tell me, Rafael, how you managed to capture this delightful creature.’
‘By presenting her with an offer she couldn’t re fuse.’
‘I see.’
‘I hope you do, my friend,’ Rafe drawled, and, lifting a hand, he signalled the waiter to bring coffee.
‘It seems so long since I last saw you,’ Jean-Claude declared. His shoulders lifted in a Gallic shrug. ‘Yet not so long.’ His mouth curved into a warm smile. ‘You are even more beautiful now than you were then.’
A mischievous smile widened her lips. ‘And you are even more the flatterer, oui?’
‘Ah, you know me well.’
‘Jean-Claude was an art student at the Sorborine,’ she relayed, aware of Rafe’s watchful gaze. ‘We met whilst taking a tour of the Louvre. He was determined to Set the world on fire with his art.’
‘And have you?’ Rafe queried with deceptive indolence.
‘Not the world. Just a small part of it.’
‘How small, Jean-Claude?’ Danielle teased. ‘You always were incredibly modest.’
‘My work hangs in some of the galleries.’
Coffee was delivered by a waiter, and served. Danielle added cream and sugar to hers, while both men took theirs black.
‘How long are you staying?’
‘Only a few days,’ Rafe informed, and saw the other man’s disappointment.
‘Tell me how things are with you. Have you married?’
‘Briefly. It didn’t work out,’ he relayed with an eloquent shrug. ‘Now I bury myself in my work.’
‘I’m sorry.’
‘Yes, I do believe you are.’ He sipped his coffee, finished it, then rose to his feet and withdrew a note which he placed on the table.
Rafe waved it aside, but the Frenchman didn’t pick it up.
‘If you’ll excuse me?’ He brushed his fingers to her cheek. ‘Au revoir, chérie.’ He turned to her husband. ‘Rafael.’
She watched as he disappeared out onto the pavement, then she picked up her cup and sipped its con tents.
‘No, he wasn’t,’ she offered quietly, challenging Rafe’s level gaze.
He didn’t pretend to misunderstand. ‘Did you love him?’
‘He was there for me when I needed him to be,’ Danielle said quietly. ‘After someone I thought I loved proved to be more interested in the d’Alboa heritage than he was in me.’ Her eyes were clear, with just the merest shadow of remembered pain. ‘Jean- Claude picked up the emotional pieces and helped me put them back together again.’
And fell in love with her, Rafe added silently, wondering if she’d known.
‘It appears I may have misjudged him.’
‘For which you won’t have the opportunity to make amends.’
‘You didn’t maintain contact?’
‘It wouldn’t have been fair,’ she qualified simply.
Rafe summoned the waiter, and paid the bill. ‘Shall we leave?’
They walked a while, pausing every now and then to peruse the shop window-dressing. The night was alive, with people seated in numerous cafés, the aroma of food and strong coffee redolent on the evening air.
There was a sense of timelessness, a vibrancy she hadn’t experienced in any other major city in the world. Perhaps she was just viewing it with new eyes, but it seemed different.
Or maybe it was she who had changed. Fashioned by circumstance and the loss of a lifestyle she’d taken for granted. The realisation that dignity and integrity were more important than possessions and false friends.
It was late when they returned to their hotel suite, and Rafe crossed to the desk, opened his laptop, then set to work. ‘I’ll be a while.’
‘Fine.’ She’d slip into bed, and hopefully be asleep when he joined her.
She was, and an hour later he stood looking down at her features in repose, aware of the inner beauty of her soul. It tugged at him, awakening something deep within.
The following few days passed much too quickly, for there wasn’t sufficient time to fit everything in.
Rediscovering the city was a wonderfully exhilarating experience as Danielle became reacquainted with the familiar and enchanted by the new.
It would have been fantastic to be able to take a month instead of three days to explore. However, she managed to seek out two elite lingerie boutiques and elicit a preview of the new season’s styles.
There was too much to see and do to linger long in any one of the many trendy cafés the boulevards and avenues, and she returned to the hotel each evening in time to shower, change, dine, then explore the city by night with Rafe in attendance.
All too soon they boarded a flight to London, and spent two days and a night there before returning home.
The telephone pealed, and Danielle crossed from the mannequin she was dressing to the counter to take the call. Ariane was engaged in the fitting room with a client.
‘Good afternoon. La Femmé. Danielle,’ she intoned pleasantly.
‘Have you received my replacement brief?’ a feminine voice demanded with autocratic arrogance on identifying herself.
The client from hell. ‘I was able to purchase the same colour, style and size whilst in Paris. It’s here for you to collect at your convenience.’
There was a faint pause as the woman digested the information. ‘I’ll be in tomorrow.’
Great, Danielle perceived with a slight grimace. The woman seemed bent on causing trouble, returning a pair of briefs she’d purchased at the lingerie showing; insisting a small slit in the lace had been there at the time of purchase. Something both Ariane and Danielle knew not to be true, for each garment underwent a rigid check on delivery, and wasn’t added to the stock shelves without inspection.
Which meant the slit had occurred after purchase. Whether it had been deliberate action or the result of an accident was debatable.
A lengthy and very vocal diatribe about careless workmanship, an accusation La Femme was selling falsely labelled goods at highly inflated prices indicated a deliberate attempt to denigrate.
Hence, Danielle had kept the receipt and packaging as proof.
It disturbed her, and made for extra caution. If the client had been Cristina the motive would be clear. But both complaints in the past ten days had come from different women.
It was something of a relief when several days went by with no mlic-up with any special order, no one returned a supposedly flawed garment or lodged a complaint.
The boutique thrived, the catalogue went out, and on a social level it proved to be a very quiet week.
‘Would you mind if I invite Ariane to dinner?’ Danielle queried over breakfast Friday morning, and incurred Rafe’s measured glance.
He had the power to render her helpless with just a look, and she wondered how he could Sit there so calmly when only hours before they’d shared earth- shattering sex. Dammit, she could still feel the power of his possession, the acutely sensitised erogenous zones he was able to play with such innate mastery.
‘Tonight?’
Get a grip. A silent admonishment that was of no help at all!
‘I thought Sunday, unless you have plans.’ She bit into the last morsel of toast, then followed it down with coffee.
‘Sunday’s fine.’
‘I’ll cook.’ She wrinkled her nose at his faintly raised eyebrow. ‘You doubt I can?’
‘Did I imply otherwise?’
Just for that, she’d plan something incredibly exotic!
Rafe drained his coffee and rose to his feet. ‘Don’t wait dinner.’
‘I won’t be home. It’s late-trading night,’ she re minded, and followed him from the room, snagged her jacket, briefcase, then trailed him to the garage.
‘Mmm,’ Rafe murmured appreciatively as he entered the kitchen late Sunday afternoon. ‘Something smells good.’
She looked cute in cut-off denim shorts and a singlet top. Her hair was caught into a pony-tail, she wasn’t wearing a skerrick of make-up, and she had a smear of flour on one cheek.
He moved in and caught her close, only to have her slap his forearm. An action which had no effect at all as he leant down and fastened his mouth on hers.
When he lifted his head he took satisfaction in her slightly glazed look, although she recovered much too quickly for his liking.
‘If you’re going to stay in the kitchen you can be useful.’ She indicated a stack of pots and pans. ‘You want to wash or dry?’
He’d served his time in a few restaurant kitchens in exchange for food. ‘Go freshen up.’
She didn’t need second bidding, and when she returned ten minutes later the kitchen had been restored to its sparkling best.
Ariane arrived at five, presented Rafe with a bottle of chilled wine, and laughingly spread her hands when Danielle refused her help.
It was a fine meal, and well worth the effort. Afterwards they took their coffee out on the terrace.
The air was fresh, the sky a deep indigo with a sprinkling of stars, and Danielle was loath to admit it had been a long time since she’d felt so relaxed.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ CUTE ROSE  
ÞÏíã 03-12-07, 09:20 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 13
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏQatar

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

CHAFFER TEN
‘Are you sure you don’t mind if I leave early?’ Ariane queried with an air of concern,
‘Mid-week, and five o’clock?’ Danielle queried with a smile. ‘The boutique isn’t going to suddenly experience a rush of clients. Now go. I can handle closing up.’
Twenty-five minutes later Danielle checked her watch and switched off the deck with its selection of CDs chosen for subtle background music. In a few minutes she could lock the front door, retrieve the cash float, then close up and leave.
The heat of the day would hit as soon as she exited the boutique’s air-conditioned interior, and she conjured up an image of Rafe’s pool, its cool, silky water. The thought of’ indulging in a few leisurely laps appealed before she showered and changed to attend a sculpture exhibition. An invitation-only affair, it was a private showing for a select coterie of proven clients and collectors of the sculptor’s works.
Her mind strayed to the *******s of her wardrobe. Black always made a statement, but perhaps The sound of the electronic door-buzzer surprised her, for it was rare for anyone to enter the boutique at this hour.
The young man’s motorcycle gear and helmet shouldn’t provide any reason for her sudden instinctive spurt of alarm.
‘Is there anything in particular I can help you with?’ Danielle queried as she moved towards him.
Maybe he was here on behalf of a girlfriend, and had size, colour, style memorised or written down.
He indicated a mannequin to his left. ‘Do you have that in black in a size ten?’
It took only a minute to open the appropriate drawer and extract the briefs. She double-checked the size tab, then crossed to the counter for tissue and ribbon, the carry-bag that was their trademark pack aging.
Hard hands caught hold of her arms, and she cried out in shock as they were wrenched behind her back.
‘What the hell are you doing?’
‘Shut up.’
The motive had to be robbery, but she was damned if she’d accept it without a fight.
Quick reflexive action with the heel of her shoe found purchase, and she heard a grunt as she was pushed down onto the floor.
She struggled in vain, hating the ease ‘ which he held her down. He had her hands in a crushing grip, and she was half-sitting, half-kneeling on the floor.
She didn’t even think, just aimed her head at his leg and sank her teeth into a trouser-clad thigh.
Then she screamed in agony as fingers caught hold of her hair, wrenching her head back, and a resounding slap cracked against the side of her face.
‘Bitch.’
Danielle’s eyes watered with the force of the blow.
‘Take the money and go.’
She heard the sound of masking tape being torn from its roll, followed by a harsh snort of derision, and she fought like a tiger before her captor success fully bound her wrists together.
Her hair, once caught into a sleek twist, now tumbled loose, and her breathing came in ragged gasps from her exertions.
He pushed his face close to hers. ‘Try that again, and you’ll wish you were dead.’
The look she cast him held a mix of disdain and fury.
‘Nothing to say?’ he taunted. His eyes were cold, cruel. With deliberate movements he reached out a hand and cupped her jaw.
‘Don’t... touch me!’ Her anger was very real. His smile held an evil calm. ‘Try to stop me.’ She kicked out at him in a last-ditch attempt to harm as he grabbed hold of her legs. Masking tape at her ankles, then her knees made any further movement impossible, and she swore at him.
She watched as he opened the cash register, stuffed notes and coins into his pocket, then leant down and caught her chin in a punishing grip.
‘By the time you get help I’ll be long gone.’ He swept the briefs off the counter onto the floor, then disappeared out the door.
Danielle wriggled out of her shoes, then inched her way towards the phone. Dammit, who would have thought masking tape could be so effective?
If she could open a drawer and somehow retrieve the scissors, she might be able to cut herself free.
It took time, but she managed it. First her ankles, then her legs, her thighs. Once the scissors slipped, leaving a nasty scratch.
At least she could get to her feet and reach the phone. Dialling wasn’t easy, and she punched in a wrong number, then had to start over.
Rafe picked up on the third ring. ‘Valdez.’
‘Someone has just robbed the boutique,’ she relayed calmly. ‘I need to file a police report’
She heard him swear. ‘Are you OK?’
Shaken, angry, but not hurt. ‘Yes.’
‘I’m on my way.’
He was there in five minutes.
Minutes during which she managed to wrestle with the scissors and slice through the tape binding her wrists.
He took in the scene at a glance, his features a chilling mask as he crossed to her side.
His eyes were impossibly dark as he caught the reddened patch marking her cheek. ‘He hurt you.’
‘It could have been worse.’
Rafe cupped her face. He brushed his fingers gently over her cheeks, then leant down and kissed her. A soft open-mouthed gesture that almost fractured her into a hundred pieces.
‘Tell me.’
She did, quietly, although her voice shook a little as he tucked the hair back from her face.
‘OK, let’s call it in.’
Rafe’s influence ensured an officer was on the scene in record time. Realistically, there was little that could be done other than file a report. The boutique hadn’t been trashed, the money taken comprised a one-hundred-dollar float, and she wasn’t injured. The fact the intruder had worn leather gloves meant there were no fingerprints. By not removing his helmet he’d made recognition and identification impossible.
They’d run a check, question if anyone had seen anything, but the chance of someone memorising a license plate was next to nil, and the entire episode would end as just another incomplete file.
Rafe saw the police officer from the premises while Danielle collected her bag and followed him to the door.
‘I’ll see you at home.’
She incurred his sharp glance. ‘I’d rather you didn’t drive.’
‘Why?’
‘Indulge me, querida.’
‘I’m fine,’ Danielle insisted, and she was. Despite a niggling suspicion the robbery hadn’t been a random act, but a premeditated one with a purpose.
He saw the determination evident, glimpsed some thing beneath it, and made a decision to postpone pursuing it until later. For now, he wanted her out of here.
There were calls he needed to make to step up security. He made the first from his cell phone as he followed her home, and had the satisfaction of knowing his instructions would be implemented the next day.
Both cars eased to a halt into the spacious garage within seconds of each other, and Rafe led her up stairs to their room, filled the spa-bath, then crossed to her side.
He tended to the buttons fastening her jacket, and she batted at his hands.
‘I can undress myself.’
‘So you can,’ he drawled, and slid the jacket from her shoulders before reaching for the zip at her waist.
‘We’ll be late for dinner.’ As a protest, it was feeble.
‘So, we’ll be late.’
The skirt fell to the carpet, closely followed by her half-slip and briefs. He unclasped the clip on her bra, then cupped each breast and brushed a thumb pad back and forth across the nipple.
Her flesh responded, heating to his touch, and sensation quivered deep inside, piercing in its intensity.
She could close her eyes and willingly go wherever he chose to lead.
Without a word he divested his clothes, and her eyes darkened, their dilation almost total.
The breath hissed between his teeth as he caught sight of the long scratch on her inner thigh, and she glimpsed white-hot rage as he sought to bail it down.
‘The scissors slipped when I cut through the tape.’
His eyes narrowed. ‘Did he touch you?’
‘Not in the way you mean.’ The fact he could have sent shivers scudding down her spine.
Rafe led her into the en suite, closed the taps, activated the jets, and stepped into the spa-bath to settle her in front of him.
There was something incredibly sensual in being bathed by a lover. The smooth slide of soap-slicked hands over her skin, the light perfume that rose with the steam, teasing her nostrils, the touch of his lips at the sensitive curve between her neck and shoulder.
It was heaven to lean back against him, to let her lashes drift down, and just be.
She felt him move, then a brush stroked gently through the length of her hair, and she murmured her appreciation.
After he was done he massaged her shoulders, the kinks she hadn’t realised were there, then he turned her round to face him and kissed her.
There was no demand, little hunger.. .just an open- mouthed gentleness that made her want to weep.
Danielle moved in close and wound her arms around his neck, needing the reassurance, the warmth and heat of him.
To be treasured, loved, adored by this man was not something he offered. But for now, what she had was enough. To long for more was a foolishness she couldn’t afford.
Slowly she lifted her head and brushed her lips lightly against his own. Her smile held genuine humour as she rose to her feet and stepped out from the bath. ‘Have you forgotten we’re due to put in an appearance at Daktar’s exhibition?’
‘I’ll phone and cancel.’
Danielle pressed a finger to his mouth. ‘I’d like to attend.’
‘Are you going to tell me why?’
He was too clever by half. ‘I could be wrong.’
‘And if you’re not?’
She snagged a towel and wound it round her slender curves, aware Rafe closely followed her actions.
‘I need to deal with it.’
She would, but with considerable help, he determined as he followed her into the bedroom and began to dress.
Tomorrow there would be security cameras in stalled in front and out back of the boutique. As well as an alert button with direct access to a top security firm. What was more, a guard would be present from the time the boutique opened until it closed.
And he’d plan his own investigation, If someone had it in mind to frighten her, or worse, for whatever devious means.. .they’d pay dearly for their efforts. But first he’d ensure every preventative precaution was in place.
Irrespective of her approval, or otherwise.
It was after eight when they entered the Gallery, and Danielle accepted a flute of champagne from a hovering waiter.
Invitation only ensured the cream of the social elite were in attendance, the women resplendent in fine gowns and displaying jewellery sufficient to warrant the presence of a security guard.
Clever use of concealer beneath her make-up meant the mark on her cheek didn’t show, and she’d chosen her gown with care, aware the blush-rose colour high lighted the texture of her skin, the bias-cut design accenting slender curves. Seeking a sophisticated image, she’d swept her hair into a sleek twist, added a decorative clip, and opted not to wear jewellery.
Danielle wandered at will, pausing here and there to examine the fluidity and style of more than one sculpture which took her eye.
Rafe didn’t leave her side, and he made a mental note as she returned to a particular item, a remarkable bronze eighteen to twenty inches high, set against a background of concave mirrored panels, so that every angle was captured.
‘It’s stunning,’ she accorded simply. She could picture it in the boutique. Standing on a marbled colunm to the left of the counter, set against softly draped silk. It would be a focal point, and capture interest.
She referred to the glossy catalogue and blanched at the price. Perhaps not. She’d need to increase the boutique’s insurance just to cover the sculpture’s replacement value.
‘Rafe, Danielle. How nice to see you again.’
Danielle turned and offered Lillian Stanich a smile in greeting.
‘Lillian,’ Rafe acknowledged with considerable charm. ‘Will you excuse me for a few minutes?’
‘He’s quite something, isn’t he?’ the society doyenne commented musingly.
‘Something,’ Danielle agreed solemnly, and heard Lillian’s tinkling laugh.
‘You make a delightful couple, my dear.’
‘I’ll tell Rafe you said so.’ -
‘I’m arranging another fund-raiser next month. I’ll ensure you receive tickets.’
- ‘You’ll include Ariane in the invitation, I hope?’
‘My dear, of course.’
‘Thank you.’
‘Now, if you’ll excuse me?’
Alone, she cast the sculpture a wistful glance, then moved to the next exhibit. Seconds later instinct caused her to glance across the gallery, and there, a striking figure in red, was Cristina.
if the blonde was surprised to see Danielle she hid it well, and after a few seconds of riveting eye contact Danielle raised her champagne flute a few inches in a silent salute, then watched as Cristina crossed the floor.
‘I didn’t expect to see you tonight.’
As a greeting, it lacked any pretence to gracious ness, and Danielle deliberately widened her gaze. ‘Any particular reason, Cristina?’
‘How was Paris?’
‘Romantic, despite grey skies, cool temperatures, and rain.’
‘A city for lovers.’
‘Yes.’
Cristina took a tentative sip of champagne, then ran a red-lacquered nail round the flute’s rim. ‘Don’t fall in love with him, darling.’ The smile became a brilliant facsimile, although there was icy venom evident in those cold grey eyes. ‘It’s fatal.’
Danielle caught sight of Rafe an instant before the blonde turned slightly and offered him a killer smile.
‘We were just talking about you.’
He curved an arm along the back of her waist, and sensed the tension in her stance. ‘Home, I think.’
‘Cristina would like another champagne.’
‘Would you mind, querido’
‘I’ll summon a waiter.’ He lifted a hand, clicked his fingers, and within seconds a waiter appeared, bearing a tray of drinks.
‘Spoilsport,’ Danielle murmured quietly, and felt the pressure of his fingers increase.
‘Shall we leave?’
‘Good heavens,’ Cristina mocked. ‘So early?’
‘He has seduction in mind,’ Danielle declared with a singularly sweet smile, then tilted her head towards him. ‘Don’t you, querido?’
The Spanish endearment held a certain cynicism that wasn’t lost on the glamorous blonde, and her eyes glittered vengefully for a second before she success fully schooled her expression. ‘In that case, have fun, darlings. No doubt we’ll run into each other again soon.’
Danielle watched as Cristina disappeared across the room. She had the beginnings of a headache, and she felt incredibly fragile.
‘We’ve remained long enough,’ Rafe declared firmly, not fooled in the slightest, and she made no protest as he led her towards the exit.
In the car she leaned back against the head-rest and closed her eyes, glad of the dim interior as Rafe eased into the flow of traffic and headed home.
Fifteen minutes later she entered the bedroom and began to undress, aware of his close scrutiny as he discarded his jacket, his tie, and began unbuttoning his shirt.
‘Would you care to tell me what that was all about?’
‘No,’ she said simply. She walked into the en suite, removed her make-up, her briefs and bra, then pulled on a T-shirt.
When she emerged he offered her a glass filled with water and two tablets. ‘Take these, and get into bed.’
Her head felt as if it didn’t belong to her body, and she swallowed the medication, then slid in between the sheets.
The last thing she remembered was Rafe switching off the light, the room’s darkness, and the relief of blissful oblivion.
Breakfast was a leisurely meal eaten out on the terrace, and, at Rafe’s insistence, Danielle rang her mother and relayed what had happened the previous evening, listened to Ariane’s shocked incredulity, and gave what reassurance she could.
‘Yes, of course I’ll be in this morning,’ she declared before replacing the receiver.
‘I’ve organised for a security firm to install a state- of-the-art system in the boutique,’ Rafe informed as she refilled her glass with juice.
Her hand paused, and she replaced the jug onto the table. ‘Excuse me?’
‘You heard.’
‘There’s no need—’
‘My prerogative, Danielle,’ he declared hardly. ‘No negotiation.’
‘The hell there isn’t!’
‘A team of men are due to arrive early this morning. There should be minimum interruption.’
She felt like stamping her foot in frustration at his high-handedness.
‘Are you sure you’re OK?’ Ariane queried with concern the instant Danielle entered the boutique.
‘I’m fine,’ she reiterated firmly. She felt like a chick with two over-anxious parents, except Rafe’s attention was the antithesis of paternal!
‘A few faxes, darling. One from Paris confirming our enquiry, another from the supplier informing a delay with an order.’
‘Give me a moment and I’ll check the emails.’
‘I’ve just made coffee.’
The electronic buzzer sounded, and Danielle moved forward to greet the man who had just entered the boutique.
His proffered business card confirmed his status with the security firm, and the men had hardly begun work when a smartly dressed young woman entered the boutique, presented her credentials, and insisted she’d been contracted by Rafael Valdez as in-house security officer.
‘I don’t believe this” Danielle declared angrily as she crossed to the phone and dialled Rafe’s cellphone.
He answered on the second ring, listened to her tirade, then directed with controlled calmness, ‘Mans stays. End of story,’
‘I don’t need a damned bodyguard!’
‘Live with it, Danielle.’
‘We’ll discuss this when I get home.’
‘If you wish.’
She had the feeling she could wish all she liked, but the result would be the same, and she cursed him afresh as she cut the call.
‘I’m conversant with your computerised register, and familiar with sales techniques,’ Mans informed with practised efficiency. ‘I can double as a sales assistant, and in this situation I’d advise going for that angle.’
Cut and dried, Danielle concluded, and winced as one of the workmen activated an electric drill.
It was going to be one hell of a day!
She silently seethed through most of it, and by mid day she had the explanatory patter down to a fine art when clients queried the workmen’s presence.
Not only a security system, but cameras positioned out back as well as in the main salon.
The boutique was, she told her mother, more heavily secured than a bank.
‘Darling, Rafe has your best interests at heart. Last night was most unfortunate, but it could have been much worse.’
Dimmit, she knew that. And, beneath the anger, she was grateful in a reluctant sort of way.
However, it didn’t stop her from launching into a verbal attack within minutes of entering the house.
Danielle found him in the study, intent on figures up on the computer screen, and he pressed the save key as she entered the room, then he leaned back in his chair and gave her his full attention.
‘Why didn’t you consult me?’ she demanded with out preamble.
Did she realise how beautiful she looked when she was angry? He banked down his amusement and settled in for the fight.
‘It’s a done deal, querida,’ he drawled, watching as she attempted to rein in her indignation.
‘OK,’ she qualified as she crossed to stand in front of his desk. ‘I’ll go along with the alarm system.’ She placed both hands down onto the polished surface. ‘I’ll even concede to the cameras.’ Her next move was to lean forward and glare at him. ‘But Mans? Really, Rafe. Mans is definite overkill!’
‘She’s in my employ,’ he said succinctly. ‘I pay her salary.’ His gaze locked with hers. ‘End of story.’
Danielle picked up the first thing that came to hand and threw it in his direction, watching with detached fascination as he fielded and palmed it neatly, then placed it down onto the desk.
With easy lithe movements he rose to his feet and crossed round to where she stood glaring at him in open defiance.
‘You have something you want to prove?’
‘Yes. Just for once I’d like to see you diminished in some way.’
He lifted a hand and caught hold of her chin. When had want and lust become love? He couldn’t pinpoint the exact moment. Only that it had.
‘You succeeded,’ he intoned indolently. ‘Last night. Knowing someone had got to you. Imagining how badly you could have been hurt.’
What was he trying to say.. .that he cared? The thought almost destroyed her.
For several seemingly long seconds she couldn’t tear her gaze away from his, and she stood locked into immobility.
There was something unreadable in those dark eyes, and she felt her anger deflate. ‘I’m sorry.’
He smiled, and traced the outline of her mouth with the pad of his thumb. ‘Yes, I do believe you are.’ He dropped his hand and swept it towards a box sitting on the credenza beneath the window. ‘Go open it.’
She stood still for a few seconds, unable to wrench her gaze away from his, then she crossed to the credenza and carefully undid the tape.
There was considerable packing, and she took time to distribute the foam chips, gasping almost sound Lesley as she glimpsed the mirrored panels.
The sculpture she’d admired at the gallery.
‘You bought it?’ she queried with incredulous reverence.
‘I thought it would look good in the boutique.’
Danielle carefully replaced the foam packing, then turned to face him. She didn’t know whether to smile or cry. ‘Thank you.’
‘I shall see that you do.’
He was teasing her, and she knew it. But it didn’t stop the anticipation of the night ahead as she sat through dinner, logged figures into her laptop, then showered and prepared for bed.
It was she who reached for him, and although he revelled in the slide of her fingers, the tentative exploration of her mouth, it was he who took control of the pace, he who led them both towards a tumultuous climax that left them both bathed in sensual heat.
‘Why do you always have to win?’ she demanded huskily, and heard his equally husky reply.
‘Because I can.’

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ CUTE ROSE  
ÞÏíã 03-12-07, 09:23 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 14
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏQatar

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

CHAPTER ELEVEN
‘DARLING, you’re looking pale,’ Ariane voiced with concern a few days later. ‘Are you coming down with something?’
‘I don’t think so. I just feel a bit tired, that’s all.’ ‘Perhaps you’re overdoing things.’ Danielle shot her mother a quizzical look. ‘No more than usual.’ She could hardly confide Rafe kept her awake at night, and most often reached for her in the early dawn hours.
‘Is it possible you might be pregnant?’ She went into instant recall on pertinent dates, then slowly shook her head. ‘I doubt it.’
Yet she visited a pharmacy, bought a home pregnancy test, and sank down in a heap when it showed positive.
How could she be pregnant? Stupid question. A doctor’s appointment confirmed it. ‘Eight weeks.’
‘That can’t be right,’ she protested. ‘My dear, I assure you it is.’
‘But I had a period last month.’ ‘Did you notice any irregularities?’
Her brow furrowed. It had been unusually light, lasting less than half the usual time, and she said so.
She listened in stunned silence as the doctor offered a medical explanation. Registered the need for blood tests, and accepted the request form. Then she got to her feet and left the surgery with an appointment card held in her hand.
Dear heaven. A child. Her child.
The reality hit as she slid in behind the wheel of her car and drove back to the boutique.
She could hardly hide the news from her mother. Ariane had a right to know.
So, too, did Rafe.
Oh, God.
‘It’s a yes,’ Ariane deduced within seconds of Danielle walking in the door. ‘Oh, darling, what wonderful news,’ she enthused, catching her daughter close in a fond embrace. -
Is it? She should be ecstatic at achieving the first stage of the deal. So why wasn’t she?
Because it meant there was now a firm time-limit fixed on the length of her marriage.
‘Are you going to ring and tell Rafe?’ Ariane queried gently, witnessing her daughter’s conflicting emotions.
‘I’ll wait until tonight.’
It would give her some breathing space, although the day was pleasantly busy and allowed her little time to think.
Which was probably just as well, she determined as she entered the house shortly before six.
In normal circumstances, she would have booked a table at a favoured restaurant and relayed the news over fine food, wine and candlelight.
Instead, she mentally tussled with words all through dinner and gave up trying to find the right
ones as she pushed away a half-eaten plate of seafood paella.
‘Not hungry?’ Rafe posed, watchful of her desultory efforts.
‘Not really.’ Tell him.
‘Something is bothering you?’
There was never going to be the right time. ‘I had an appointment with the doctor today. I’m pregnant.’ There, it was done.
Something flared in his dark eyes, then he banked it down. ‘I assume you have a due date?’
Conception had occurred within ten days of their marriage. ‘Mid-July.’ She managed a smile, although it didn’t quite reach her eyes. ‘Stage one is now complete.’
He was silent for a few seemingly long seconds, and his gaze seemed to sear her soul. ‘How do you feel?’
Oh, my. How did she answer that? Flippancy came to mind, but she chickened out at the last second. ‘Fine.’
‘You will, of course, transfer to the care of an obstetrician, and cut down your hours at the boutique.’
‘No.’
He didn’t move, but he assumed a dangerous still ness that succeeded in sending an icy shiver down the length of her spine. ‘No?’
How could a single word have the potential to imitate so much havoc?
‘I’m young and healthy,’ Danielle qualified reason ably. ‘If the OP indicates I require specialist care, then so be it.’ She drew a calming breath and released it.
‘As to the boutique...! Intend working right up to the last few weeks.’ A spark of anger lit her eyes. ‘It’s my body, and my child. At least at this stage we’re inseparable.’ She had to get away from him, albeit temporarily, and she rose to her feet, intent on putting as much distance between them as possible.
His hand snaked out and snagged hers before she had a chance to move more than a single step.
‘Let me go.’ It was a plea wrenched from the depths of her heart, and one he chose to ignore as he pulled her close.
‘Your body, my seed,’ Rafe declared with chilling softness. He brought her hand over her stomach and covered it with his own. ‘Our child.’
How could he say that? Already the fetus was a living entity she’d carry in her womb for another seven months, nurture and love every day of its infant years.. .only to have to step back and share a small part of its life.
As crazy as it seemed, she was already contemn plating her separation from a child who had yet to be born.
And Rafe. . .how could she bear to have him walk away from her, stand by and watch him remarry, pro vide step-siblings for their child, and lead a life totally separate from her own?
Worse, how could she possibly exist without him?
Dear God.
Realisation hit with shattering impact. Love? She couldn’t have fallen in love with him. It wasn’t possible. Dammit, love didn’t form any part of the deal!
It had to be hormones wreaking havoc, one part of her brain rationalised, while another part I silently wept.
‘I’ll cancel out of tonight.’
She heard the words and felt her stomach plummet. Opening night at the theatre where actors would portray their parts in a prominent Australian playwright’s new play. How could she have forgotten?
The thought of dressing up and playing the social game left her less than enthused. However, it was a prestigious ‘event and their absence would be noticed.
‘Why? Pregnancy doesn’t suddenly make me a fragile flower.’
The musing warmth of his smile could have melted her heart, and almost did. Her mouth trembled slightly as he pressed his lips to her forehead.
‘I didn’t imagine for a moment that it would.’ They entered the auditorium ten minutes before the first act was due to commence. Tickets had been sold out well in advance, and it appeared many notable patrons of the arts were in attendance.
Danielle was supremely conscious of Rafe’s close proximity as they mixed and mingled.
‘Rafe. Danielle. I was hoping you’d make it.’ Oh, Lord. Cristina. Looking, Danielle had to admit, absolutely stunning in an ivory silk gown. Her male companion wasn’t someone she’d seen before, arid she banked down the uncharitable thought the blonde might have rented him for the night.
‘I believe we’re seated together.’
No small feat in the manipulation stakes, Danielle accorded silently. Fortunately the electronic buzzer sounded, signalling patrons to take their seats, and she was saved from having to make polite conversation.
Naturally Cristina managed to seat herself next to Rafe, and Danielle stifled murderous thoughts as she took the seat to the left of him.
He caught hold of her hand and threaded his fingers through her own, and didn’t even wince as she dug her nails into his palm.
The orchestra began, the lights dimmed, and the curtain lifted in a majestic sweep.
Danielle attempted to pull her hand free without success, and she fixed her attention on the stage, focusing on the actors who entered it.
Three acts, two intermissions. During the first intermission she excused herself and utilised the powder room. Something for which she seemed to have developed a more frequent need of late.
When she emerged it was to discover Cristina deep in conversation with Rafe. Although, to be fair, the blonde was doing all of the talking.
Danielle joined them, and her eyes widened slightly as Rafe caught her hand and lifted it to his lips.
‘What are you playing at?’ she demanded in a quiet voice as they traversed the carpeted aisle to resume their seats.
‘Reassurance.’
‘Yours, or mine?’
The second act captured her attention. Well, most of it. She was too aware of Cristina’s possible machinations, and pride forbade she check if the blonde’s lacquered nails were resting on any part of Rafe’s anatomy.
A further need to utilise the powder room during the second intermission caused Danielle to wonder if a weak bladder was a pregnant woman’s curse. She would, she decided, have to buy a book and become acquainted with all the facts!
Fortunately there wasn’t much of a queue, and she emerged to discover Cristina making a play at *******ing her make-up in front of the long mirrored wall.
There had to be a purpose for the blonde’s presence, and a single guess at the cause was one too many.
Why waste time? ‘Presumably it isn’t coincidence you followed me in here?’
‘It would be a pity if La Femme suffered a few setbacks.’
‘Is that a threat, Cristina?’ Danielle took a moment to apply colour to her lips, then she capped the tube and tossed it into her bag. ‘If so, I’ll ensure you’re first on the list when the police investigate any further problems.’ She paused fractionally. ‘It might pay you to remember it’s Rafe who owns La Femme, and his connections.’
‘Darling, I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.’
‘No?’
Cristina’s eyes narrowed. ‘You’re a little pale, darling. Not feeling well?’
‘I’ve never felt better.’ An extension of the truth, but she was entitled to bend the rules a little.
‘One might think—’ She came to a halt, her eyes widened, then narrowed down. ‘You’re not pregnant?’
‘Actually, yes.’
Cristina’s features displayed a gamut of emotions, none of which was attractive. ‘Why, you bitch.’
‘Not the most pleasant manner in which to offer congratulations.’ The outer door opened, and Danielle took the opportunity to escape.
Rafe was immersed in conversation with Lillian, and it was something of a relief to hear the buzzer signalling a return to their seats.
‘You were gone a while.’
‘The powder room is a popular place.’
The lights dimmed, the orchestra began, and the final act got underway.
It was late when they returned home, and Danielle smothered a yawn as she ascended the stairs. It had been all she could do to remain awake during the third act, and as soon as she reached their room she shed the elegant amethyst silk evening suit, removed her make-up, and crept into bed.
‘Tired?’ Rafe queried as he drew her close, and at her murmured affirmative he brushed his lips to her temple, then prepared to sleep.
It was a beautiful day, with only the merest drift of cloud to mar the azure sky.
Danielle made a mental note to ring the supplier as she eased the car out of the driveway and headed towards Toorak Road. A newly released style of matching bra and briefs was proving popular, and she needed to increase La Femme’s existing order.
All of a sudden a streak of blue appeared in her peripheral vision, she heard the sickening jolt of metal against metal and she was flung forward.
It happened so unexpectedly, so quickly, she didn’t have a chance to think, let alone brace herself. Although she must have instinctively stamped on the brake, for seconds later the car jumped the kerb and came to a halt a mere whisper away from one of several large trees lining the avenue.
Hell.
She sat there shaken for all of a few seconds, then reality hit, and she reached for the seat belt, released it, and slid out from behind the wheel.
There was concern for the other driver, a need to check damage to her car, and details... she’d need to record details for insurance, log in a call to the police...
‘Are you all right?’
Danielle heard a male voice, had the same query echoed by another, and looked round for the other car. Which was nowhere in sight.
‘Hit and run,’ someone said, adding a vehement, ‘Bastard.’
Disbelief clouded her features. ‘You’re kidding me, right?’
‘I think you should sit down, miss.’
Before I fall down? Heavens, I’m made of stronger stuff than that, she wanted to assure, except shock temporarily robbed her of her voice.
‘I’ll call the police.’
‘And the ambulance.’
‘I don’t need an ambulance,’ Danielle protested, and extracted her cellphone. She should call Ariane and explain she’d be late.
‘Stay exactly where you are,’ her mother instructed after demanding to know of any injuries. ‘I don’t give a damn if the car is driveable. Don’t you dare move.’
‘I’m—’ Fine, she’d been about to add, except Ariane had already cut the connection.
The rear end of the BMW looked incredibly nor mal, and there didn’t even appear to be so much as a scratch on the bumper.
A police car cruised to a halt, its lights flashing, bare seconds ahead of Rafe’s Jaguar, and Danielle momentarily closed her eyes against the sight of him.
A tall, dark angel, she accorded seconds later as he leapt from the car ready to tear someone apart.
As long as it wasn’t her.
Rafe reached her first, uncaring that he’d broken the speed limit getting here, or that he’d pulled to a screeching halt and caused the cop to pause mid- stride, turn, and check him out.
He completely ignored the steely-eyed appraisal, and if there was going to be any verbalised caution he’d deal with it later.
For now his total focus was Danielle. Dear God, if anything had happened to her... He closed his eyes against such an anguished visage.
It helped to put his hands on her. The instinctive reassurance of touch, and he didn’t give a damn who saw him cradle her face and angle his mouth down over her own.
His own reassurance level moved up a notch at her initial response, and it rose a little higher as she pulled out of his grasp. Not that it did her much good, for he merely reined her in again.
‘Must you?’ Danielle hissed in protest.
His eyes were incredibly dark, his features etched as if from stone as he searched her face. A muscle bunched at the edge of his jaw, then relaxed as his mouth partly slightly, and the tension that had wound through his body like a steel coil from the instant he’d taken Ariane’s call began to dissipate.
‘Yes.’
She glimpsed something evident she was afraid to define, and for a heart-stopping second everything around her faded as her gaze locked with his.
Did the world stand still? She was willing to swear that it did.
‘I need some details, miss.’
And the spell was broken. She turned and saw the uniformed cop standing within touching distance, heard the buzz of voices, and in the distance the wail of a siren.
‘I don’t need an ambulance,’ Danielle reiterated, but no one appeared to be listening. Grr!
With a drawn-out sigh she began recounting the lead-up to the moment of impact... which didn’t pro vide much, for there had been no warning.
The cacophonous siren subsided with a growl as the vehicle drew to a halt, and she suffered a string of questions, contradicted Rafe’s assurance he’d en sure she was taken to hospital, then protested volubly as he collected her briefcase, locked her car, and put her in his.
‘Just take me to work.’
Rafe pulled out from the kerb, aware he had five minutes before she realised he wasn’t going anywhere near the boutique.
She reacted pretty much as he expected, and he reached out, caught hold of her hand and lifted her fingers to his lips. ‘Shut up.’
If he thought that gentle salutation was going to win her over, he had another think coming. ‘There is nothing wrong with me!’
He spared her a quick, controlled smile. ‘Humour me.’
Danielle drew in a deep breath, then released it. ‘Where are we going?’
‘We’re nearly there.’
There was an exclusive private hospital, geared in advance to admit Danielle d’Alboa Valdez into a private suite.
‘This is ridiculous,’ she flung in a low undertone as she was instructed to undress and get into bed. She cast Rafe a dark look as he prowled the room, and she checked out the cotton gown. Ties to the front, or back? Dammit, she shouldn’t even be here at all!
‘Here, let me help you.’
He was there, unbuttoning her jacket, easing it off and then tossing it over a chair.
‘I can manage.’
He didn’t take any notice, and she pushed at his hands as he reached for the zip fastening on her skirt.
‘You’re in my face, Rafe. Go away.’
‘Not a chance.’
She was down to her bra and briefs when a nurse bustled in, and she indicated her underwear. ‘Do I get to keep these on?’
‘All of it off,’ the nurse responded far too cheer fully, and pointed to the hospital gown: ‘Ties to the back.’
‘Charming,’ Danielle muttered as she complied. Brisk efficiency resulted in what seemed to be a barrage of tests, questions and an ultrasound, followed by a Visit from the obstetrician.
‘The baby is fine.’
‘Now do I get to go home?’
‘Tomorrow. We’ll keep you in overnight. Rest, observation.’
‘Is that necessary?’
‘It’s a precaution,’ the obstetrician assured, and with a warm smile he turned and left the suite with the nurse following close on his heels.
‘I think I’d like to be alone,’ Danielle voiced quietly. Rafe loomed large in the room, a tall, brooding entity whose presence seemed to swamp her. ‘Would you please leave now?’
Rafe turned away from the window and the scene he’d been studying below. There were questions that needed to be asked; answers he would demand. And calls he had to make.
He crossed to the bed, resisted the urge to cage her in, and satisfied himself with a light, sweeping kiss that left him hard and wanting.
‘I’ll be back later.’
She could only nod in acquiescence, and when he was gone she laid her head back against the nest of pillows and closed her eyes.
Hit and run. An action which meant a deliberate attempt to harm. Cristina? Had the knowledge of Danielle’s pregnancy tipped her from obsession into paranoia?
And if so, could it be proven?
The staff delivered lunch, Ariane rang,. the florist delivered a floral bouquet with an accompanying card signed with Rafe’s slashing signature, and she spent time leafing through a selection of magazines before slipping into a fitful doze.
Ariane visited on her way home from the boutique, presenting a La Femme carry-bag with an exquisite nightgown and negligee set, plus a pair of satin mules.
‘For you,’ her mother revealed, hiding maternal concern behind a warm smile. ‘A hospital gown is not a good look.’
She kept the conversation light, deliberately refrained from mentioning she’d relayed each and every suspicious incident to Rafe together with her own suspicions, and left when staff delivered dinner.
Danielle had just freshened up when Rafe entered the suite, and she didn’t resist when he fastened his mouth over hers in a brief, hard kiss. Then he pulled her close and teased her lips with his own, gently with a lingering softness that brought her hands up to link together at his neck.
‘Have you had dinner?’ A prosaic query which didn’t come close to what she wanted to say.
‘Later.’ He gathered her into his aims, crossed to a nearby chair, then settled her onto his lap.
‘Busy day?’
‘Yes.’ He’d gone into immediate action, called in a few favours, gathered facts, then arranged a meeting with Cristina, who had tried guile, tears, and followed them with an avowal of undying love. His response had been a chilling warning, and the advice to leave town within twenty-four hours or face legal charges.
It was nice, Danielle decided, to rest in his arms. She could feel the reassuring thud of his heartbeat, smell the exclusive cologne he preferred to use, and sense the clean male scent of him mingling with body warmth to create an essence that was uniquely his.
Perhaps it was delayed shock, but she was beginning to feel quite tired, and a night alone in a hospital bed didn’t seem nearly as unattractive as it had a few hours ago.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ CUTE ROSE  
ÞÏíã 03-12-07, 09:25 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 15
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏQatar

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

CHAPTER TWELVE
‘WE NEED to talk.’
Danielle had been home an hour, and in that time she’d been plied with tea and bite-size sandwiches.
They were seated on the terrace, overlooking the gardens.
‘I have only one question.’ Rafe’s voice was deadly quiet, his features expressionless. ‘Why didn’t you confide in me?’
She met and held his gaze. ‘I thought I could handle it on my own. What would you have had me do? Run to you, bleating like a baby with every piece of Cristina’s nastiness? How was I to know she could be dangerous?’
‘if you’d told me of her efforts to cause trouble, her first attempt would have been her last.’ He caught hold of her chin and tilted her face towards him. ‘And you wouldn’t have suffered grief at her hands.’
He finger-combed her hair, lingered at her nape, then he brushed a thumb down the sensitive cord to rest in the hollow at the base of her throat.
The anger left as quickly as it had risen. ‘She wanted what I had,’ Danielle reiterated quietly. ‘You.’
Cristina had been too clever to show her hand, with the exception that the card she’d expected to play as a trump became the joker.
Rafe angled his mouth over hers in a kiss that melted her bones, and it was awhile before he lifted his head.
‘When I think—’
She pressed a finger against his lips. ‘It didn’t hap pen. I’m fine. The baby’s fine. You’ll have your son or daughter.’ And my heart will break when I walk away, she added silently.
His eyes became dark with an emotion she couldn’t define. ‘You think the child you carry is all that matters to me?’ He closed his eyes, then opened them again. ‘Por Dios.’
‘We have an agreement—’ ‘To hell with the agreement.’ ‘What are you talking about?’ ‘You.’
She didn’t get it. Didn’t dare begin to even think he could mean— ‘Do you have any idea what I went through when Ariane rang to say you’d been involved in a car accident?’
‘I imagine you were concerned—’
‘That doesn’t come close.’
Danielle’s heart seemed to leap to a faster beat. ‘Dios. They were the worst minutes of my life.’ He slid his hand to her wrist and captured her hand in his. ‘If I’d lost you—’ He couldn’t bring himself to finish the sentence.
She wasn’t capable of uttering a word as the seconds ticked by. ‘What are you trying to say?’ she managed at last.
He didn’t try to wrap it up in fancy words. There were only three that really mattered. ‘I love you.’
‘Rafe—’
‘You’re more important to me than anything or anyone in my life.’
If only he meant it! ‘I think you’re in shock,’ Danielle said carefully.
‘I have something for you.’ He reached for his briefcase, retrieved a long envelope, and extracted a legal-looking document. ‘Read it.’
She took it from his hand, and skimmed the legalese. There was no need for an explanation. In simple form, it rendered the agreement between them null and void, It already contained his signature and that of his lawyer.
‘Look at the date.’
It was dated a day before the accident.
‘I planned giving it to you at an appropriate moment,’ Rafe declared, and glimpsed the moisture shimmering in her eyes. ‘Don’t,’ he groaned, and watched helplessly a single tear escape and roll slowly down her cheek.
Women’s greatest weapon. He gathered her into his arms, nestling her head into the curve of his throat as he held her close.
‘The obstetrician suggests a holiday.’
He brushed his lips against her temple, then trailed a path to her mouth, savouring it gently as she began to respond.
‘The Gold Coast condominium?’
‘If that’s what you want.’
She lifted her hands and linked them behind his neck, keeping him there, and it was he who carefully broke the contact.
He’d laid his heart on the line, and she hadn’t said a word. For a moment he experienced the agony of her possible rejection. Good sex wasn’t love. Yet he was willing to swear she cared... All he had to do was persuade her it was enough.
‘I think I need to hear you say it again.’
There was no artifice, just a tentative wonderment and a melting softness that touched him in a way nothing else had.
With great care he cupped her face and tilted it so his eyes met hers.
‘1 love you.’
He thought she was going to cry, and he witnessed her effort to control the tears. Her mouth shook a little, then curved to form a tremulous smile. ‘Thank you.,
‘For loving you?’
‘For giving me the most precious gift of all.’
Something twisted in his gut.
She caught the briefest glimpse of his indecision, and pressed her fingers to his lips. ‘You.’ She was sure the warmth in those dark eyes would melt her bones. ‘Your heart, your soul,’ she said gently. ‘I shall treasure them all the days of my life.’
Danielle felt his lips move beneath her touch, and saw the emotion starkly etched on his features.
‘At first, I wanted to hate you. For a while, I thought I did. Then I realised the prospect of a life without you would be no life at all.’ She trailed her fingers along the edge of his jaw, felt a muscle bunch there, then she traced his lower lip and lingered at its edge. ‘I love you.’
His heart, which had been thudding loud in his chest, increased its beat, and for a few seconds he was incapable of speech.
She watched his expression transform, saw the in tense warmth, the passion, the unguarded love, and there was wonderment that it was all for her.
There was also the knowledge she witnessed some thing she doubted he’d allowed anyone to see in a very long time.. .raw emotion that came direct from the heart.
He brushed his mouth to hers, then used his teeth to nip the fullness of her lower lip,’ lingering there before tracing a path to the vulnerable hollow at the base of her neck. And felt the answering kick of her pulse-beat as it moved in tune with his own.
Dear heaven, he had a burning need to hold her, to reassure himself she was alive, and his.
Rafe rose to his feet with her in his arms and carried her upstairs to their bedroom. He undressed her with such care it was all she could do to keep the tears at bay, and she watched unashamedly as he discarded his own clothes before sliding beneath the covers to gather her close.
He *******ed himself with stroking the slender curve of her back, the swell of her buttocks, the toned length of her thigh. His hand lingered at her hip, then covered her stomach, felt the slight thickness at her waist, and he brushed his fingers gently back and forth as if in silent reassurance to the growing foetus nurtured in its mother’s womb.
He moved to her breasts, aware from her faint gasp of their sensitivity. Then he kissed her, with a gentleness that caused the breath to hitch in her throat as he began a slow exploration of her body .
Rafe held her through the night. Whenever she shifted a little he drew her close, simply because he couldn’t bear to let her go.
His wife, the mother of his child. His life. To think he might have lost her...
If he slept, he was unaware of the stolen minutes - throughout the night hours, and it was Danielle who slid carefully from the bed as dawn broke.
She shrugged on a robe and stood looking at him, drinking in the strong features softened in repose. There was the shadow of a night’s growth of beard, and she almost reached down to trace a path across his cheek. Thick dark lashes with their slightly curled edges, and that mouth...
His eyelids swept up in one swift movement, the dark orbs instantly alert, then he saw her and he smiled, a slow, sweet curve that melted her bones.
‘Hi.’ His voice was a deep, husky drawl, and he extended an arm. ‘Come here.’
‘You have that certain look in your eye,’ she teased, and saw his teeth gleam white.
‘And what look is that?’ He reached for her, drawing her gently back onto the bed.
‘Hmm. . .dangerous.’
He buried his mouth against the sweet curve of her throat, and she wove her fingers through his hair, absently finger-combing it as he eased open her robe.
‘I can’t think of a better way to wake each morning,’ Rafe murmured as he bestowed a trail of lingering kisses along her collar-bone.
A delicious warmth invaded her veins. ‘This could become addictive.’
‘Count on it.’
Later they rose, showered, and took breakfast out on the terrace. It was a glorious day, with sunshine, blue skies and moderate temperatures.
Everything, Danielle thought with satisfaction, was right in her world. She had a husband who adored her, and whom she loved with all her heart. Their baby was growing inside her, safe and doing just fine.
Within a few hours they were due to fly to the Coast for a holiday. Their first together that didn’t relate to business.
It would be wonderful, she perceived dreamily as she nibbled toast and sipped from her second cup of herbal tea.
And it was. Lazily spent days spent stretched out on poolside loungers beneath the shade of a beach umbrella. Sometimes they swam in the. pool, or walked along the beach, and at night they had each other.
It had all the elements of a honeymoon, Danielle decided dreamily. And there, beneath the warm summer sun, it was possible to believe the past few months hadn’t existed, and their lives together began from this moment on.
A trial by fire? Maybe, she conceded. But they’d forged something very special, and she’d fight to the death to protect it.
The last night of their Coast sojourn was spent lingering over dinner, followed by a stroll along the beachfront in the moonlight.
‘Happy?’
Danielle tilted her face up to her husband. ‘Yes,’ she said simply, and felt his arm tighten along the back of her waist.
He wanted to kiss her, draw her into him, and never let her go.
She linked her fingers with his. ‘Enjoying the anticipation?’
‘Witch,’ he accorded in teasing remonstrance.
‘It’s part of my charm.’
‘I think we’d better head back to the hotel.’ She laughed, a delightful throaty sound. ‘Are you going to be this protective right through my pregnancy?’
‘Count on it.’
She became serious. ‘You won’t object if I go back to work for a while?’
He’d been waiting for her to pose the question. ‘A few hours a day,’ he conceded. ‘Preferably mornings, then you can take a rest in the afternoon.’
‘OK.’
‘Just—OK?’
She cast him a winsome smile. ‘Yes.’ It was all she wanted, something to keep her hand in. Besides, there was a nursery to plan, baby clothes to buy.
‘Such docility.’
‘Ah,’ she began with teasing mockery. ‘The love of a good man can do wonders for a woman.’
His eyes gleamed with humour. ‘I think I need to take you in hand.’
‘I adore the way you do that.’
‘Adore?’
The teasing fled, and in its place was a sincerity that touched his heart. ‘I love you. So much,’ she added quietly.
‘I know,’ Rafe said gently. ‘Dios ,nediante, querida.’

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ CUTE ROSE  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÇáÑÏ Úáì ÇáãæÇÖíÚ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÑÝÇÞ ãáÝÇÊ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÊÚÏíá ãÔÇÑßÇÊß