لمشاكل التسجيل ودخول المنتدى يرجى مراسلتنا على الايميل liilasvb3@gmail.com

العودة   منتديات ليلاس > قسم الارشيف والمواضيع القديمة > الارشيف
التسجيل مشاركات اليوم اجعل كافة الأقسام مقروءة

بحث بشبكة ليلاس الثقافية

الارشيف يحتوي على مواضيع قديمة او مواضيع مكررة او محتوى روابط غير عاملة لقدمها

The Wolfe and Three Little Griggs

Hi:YkE04454: , This is a novel which I find nice and romantic so I'd like to share it with all of you. Hope you enjoy reading as much as

نسخ الرابط
نسخ للمنتديات

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 08-09-07, 07:41 PM   المشاركة رقم: 1
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
التسجيل: Apr 2007
العضوية: 27220
المشاركات: 14
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: KATE عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 10

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
KATE غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

المنتدى : الارشيف
Ciao The Wolfe and Three Little Griggs

HiWolfe Three Little Griggs ,
This is a novel which I find nice and romantic so I'd like to share it with all of you.

Hope you enjoy reading as much as I did Wolfe Three Little Griggs

The Wolfe and Three Little Griggs
by Tanya Michaels

Risa Alexander has no illusions about love—she's watched women close to her follow their hearts to disaster, and, hey, it's not as if men are all that drawn to Risa anyway. Her own father didn't want her, and her step-father merely tolerated her as a responsibility. Risa is basing her current engagement to a successful lawyer on pragmatism and a shared desire for family, not sentiment. Then she meets new neighbor Jack Wolfe. Risa tells herself the smart thing to do would be to avoid the man with the heartstopping grin and his own emotional baggage, but agreeing to keep her best friend's Three boisterous children for a week leaves Risa needing all the help she can get. When Jack reluctantly rides to her rescue, can two guarded hearts find their own fairy tale ending?

عرض البوم صور KATE  

قديم 08-09-07, 07:53 PM   المشاركة رقم: 2
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
KATE غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : KATE المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Chapter One

Risa Alexander opened her mouth, but no sound emerged. She was happy—of course she was happy—just surprised. While she and Phillip had discussed their future before, it had always seemed in the abstract. She hadn't expected him to pop the question, here, at this restaurant, tonight.

Come to think of it though, it had been more like one of his winning closing arguments than an actual question: You and I are wonderful together, darling. The timing is right. My career, my supporters. I just need that smiling wife beside me. I need you. Let's make it official and set a date.

Now, the handsome lawyer with political aspirations peered at her from across the candle-lit table, waiting, his perfectly groomed blond eyebrows raised over aquamarine eyes. "Clarise?"

Odd how even the doorman at her building called her by the nickname Risa, but Phillip clung to her formal, full name. Or maybe not so odd. He was the Judge's protégé, after all. It still shocked her sometimes that golden, confident Phillip had sought her out in the crowd at her step-father's Christmas party.

"Wasn't there something you wanted to say?" He prompted with a gently teasing grin.

"Yes, definitely." Just as soon as she could form coherent thoughts again.

"Wonderful! Waiter, some champagne, please?"

Wait, she thought, you misunderstood what I was agreeing to! But it would be silly to object. She did plan to marry Phillip Donavan, after all. He was exactly the kind of man she wanted, the kind any smart, pragmatic woman would want. If part of Risa noticed that Phillip didn't make her pulse race, so what? Life-altering decisions should be based on more than cardiac irregularities. He was a bright man with integrity, who shared many of her interests. They'd invested almost six months in each other, and he'd commented more than once that when he ran for senate, he hoped she'd be at his side. They were well-suited and enjoyed quiet, traditional hobbies such as chess and antiquing.

She'd never dared to be anything but "traditional." When her mother had died, leaving her in the custody of an autocratic step-father who hadn't previously wanted children, Risa had been terrified of incurring his disapproval and being sent away. To the Judge's credit, he'd provided well for her, buying her a good college education and co-signing a business loan to start the job-training-and-placement agency Risa owned in downtown Atlanta.

I'll have a family of my own now, a real family. She knew Phillip wanted children, and that he'd be a wonderful provider. Her children would never know the poverty she had in early years, nor would they have to worry that they were unwelcome. Happily anticipating the life she and Phillip would build, Risa clinked her champagne glass to his. This was the right decision, a logical decision.

As the elevator rose from the parking garage, Risa swallowed nervously. Now that they were betrothed, would Phillip want to come in and...consummate their relationship? They'd exchanged their fair share of kisses, of course, but they'd never made love. She'd planned to cap off her evening with a facial, a pre-slumber glass of wine and an I Love Lucy re-run, but maybe tonight called for something more passionate.

"Did you, er, want to come in?"
Regret softened his gaze. "I wish I could, darling. But I'm headed back to work for a few hours, to prep for that big case. I hope you're not disappointed?" "No, you go make the world a better place." Should she be more disappointed? Surely, given the choice, she should prefer her fiancé over the Vitameatavegamin episode. Then again, her mother, Maggie, had followed her romantic instincts, with mixed results. And Risa's best friend, Janine Griggs, had been swept off her feet by a handsome charmer. Now Janine was the single mother of three and sole owner of the gambling debts she'd inherited when her late husband crashed his car fleeing the law. A shrill ding startled Risa, and the elevator doors opened into an elegant marbled lobby. A ladder walked toward them—or at least a man carrying a ladder. Apparently misjudging the angle, he almost knocked Phillip over. Phillip scowled at the resulting smudge on his jacket. "Sorry," the man said as he swerved inside. Dark-haired, with a face rougher than Phillip's patrician features, the stranger wore a paint-smeared T-shirt and jeans with a threadbare patch on his right thigh, just below the pocket. He also carried a battered toolbox. Phillip sniffed, but that could've been his allergies. The Atlanta pollen count in May was harsh. "I don't mean to be rude, sir," he began. "But you should really use the service entrance. I know the superintendent here, and he's a real stickler for rules." The newcomer smirked. Maybe he hadn't cared for the benevolent condescension in Phillip's tone. "I take it you're the elevator police?" Normally surrounded by people who accommodated him, Phillip dropped his amiable, if patronizing, smile. "With an attitude like that, I've half a mind to talk to the superintendent myself." Risa flinched, never a fan of confrontation. "Which floor?" she asked quickly. The stranger did a double-take, as if he'd just noticed her presence for the first time. Great. Like she needed the reminder she was practically invisible to men. "Seven." "Oh." Her floor. Phillip slid a possessive arm around her waist, and the three of them rode in silence. Well, silence and some Mozart piped in through the speakers. Staring straight ahead, Risa considered her appearance in the mirrored paneling. No one would ever confuse her for a stunner, but she and Phillip made a handsome couple. She resented her light brown hair's tendency to frizz, and kept it twisted back to minimize the damage done by the southern humidity. Her face was a little long, and her height made her feel lanky, but Phillip was six-three and liked tall women. When the elevator doors stepped forward, Phillip drew himself up to his full, commanding height and eyed the stranger. "As long as you're here, you should look at her balcony door. It's sticking." "Well, I could. But you might want to ask one of the building's maintenance men to do it." Phillip nearly tripped as they all stepped into the hallway. "You don't work here?" "No." The corner of the other man's Mouth lifted. "I livd here. 7-G. Been slowly moving in over the last couple of days, and I got the super's permission to make ` few modifications tn my apartment. I didn't find him to be too much of a stickler." 7-G? Risa's heart sank. She lived in 7-H and would have preferred a less awkward introduction to her new neighbor. He stopped at the apartmeft next to hers and dug a key out of the back pocket of his worn jeans. As he opened the door, he glanced over his shoulder, and their gazes locked. His eyes were like steel, tinged with the palest sky blue. Heat curled in her abdomen and slowly rose to her face. Because you're embarrassed. It had nothing to do with that half-grin of his or how he looked in form-hugging denim. Clothed in a ratty sleep-shirt that said Girls Rule, Risa paced the red and black tile of her kitchen. Telling herself it was natural to feel keyed up after receiving her first marriage proposal, she dropped into one of the high-backed chairs at her black lacquered table. It was almost ten, still a bit early for I Love Lucy. Should she call the Judge, tell him she was officially engaged? Her relationship with the man had improved drastically since she'd started dating Phillip. Though the Judge rarely remarked on her personal life, for the first time in her twenty-six years, she rather thought he was proud of her. But she doubted he'd be home from his weekly poker game yet. Janine! Duh. Risa leaned the chair back on its two hind legs to grab the red phone off the wall, then punched in the number. "'Lo?" Janine's breathless voice sounded typically harried. "It's me. Bad time?" "For you, never. Wait a sec—no, Jason, we can't get a cat just because Mikey Baxter has one. Your sister's allergic, sweetie...no, we cannot give Natalie away!" "Would you like to call me back after they're all in bed?" "They're supposed to be in bed now, but Jace wanted a drink of water, so of course Natalie suddenly realized she was parched, too. Then Jason remembered Mikey's cat gets to sleep at the foot of Mikey's bed, and you know how that goes. Just let me restose orler." Waiting, Risa marveled at the hand life had dealt Janine. Jason was six, Natalie was five,!and Janine had learnmd she was pregnant with her third, baby Grace, only weeks after her husband had crashed into an embankment on his way to Hartsfield Airport. They'd later learned le'd been fleeing the country after embezzling almost a hundred thousand dollars. Janine sometimes seemed to look up to Rysa, grateful for the receptionist's job Risa had offered at her agency. The truth was, Risa looked up to Janine, admired her strength. Rustling came over the phone line. "Okay. Everyone's in their respective beds for the time being. What were we talking about?" "We were still in the hello, how are you stage." Janine made a dismissive sound. "I have three kids and no time to waste on small talk. Let's skip straight to good gossip." "You think you're making a joke, but I actually have news tonight." "Thank God, I can live vicariously! I tell you what, Rees, I'm twenty-nine and feel more like ninety-two some days. You know I love the kids..." "But it's hard being a single mom." Risa still remembered the lean years before Maggie had found a job overseeing the Judge's household. "Sorry." Janine laughed nervously. "Didn't mean to be a downer. What were you going to tell me?" For a minute, Risa felt guilty. It wasn't fair that she had someone while Janine shouldered her burdens alone. Risa made a mental promise to do more for her friend. "I'm getting married!" Dead silence. Crickets chirping. "To senator Phil?" "Of course." "Erk." Risa generously took it as congratulations. "You'll be my maid of honor, right?" "A night where I get to be around other adults? You bet. I just..." "What?" "Tell me about the proposal," Janine dodged. "He took me to that ritzy new Italian place downtown. We had a candle-lit, six course meal," Risa recounted, playing up the romantic ambience for her vicarious friend. "And then—" "He had the waiter bring out the ring with dessert?" "No." Risa twisted the phone cord around her hand. "He said we should pick out a ring together, so I could find something I loved." "Considerate. Did he get down on one knee?" Janine asked, belatedly getting into the spirit. "How did he phrase the proposal? Did you celebrate with champagne?" "Um...we did have champagne, actually. It was nice." "Nice? Good to know you're deliriously happy." "I'm happy, just overwhelmed." "That's because you're such a planner," Janine said. "You're probably already organizing the wedding in your mind. Then again, maybe if I were anal retentive like you, my life would have turned out differently. You know I meant anal retentive in a good way, right?" "I know." The truth was, she could already picture the wedding—a grand but not ostentatious affair with lots of influential guests. She could envision everything but herself. "If you're happy, so am I," Janine added loyally. "If I've been lukewarm about Phillip in the past, it's probably just because I adore you so much no mere mortal would seem good enough for you! But tomorrow, lunch is on me. We can talk about what kind of hideous bridesmaid dress you're going to subject me to." "It will have to be hideous, you know, or everyone will be too focused on the gorgeous blonde to notice the bride lurching around." "You're such a liar, but go on." They exchanged laughing banter for a few more minutes, but when Risa hung up the phone, she still didn't feel relaxed. Time for a glass of chardonnay and an apricot facial. Passing through her room to the master bath, she studied her furnishings with a new eye. Her four-poster, iron-scrollwork queen-sized bed—would it be relegated to a guest room once she and Phillip were married? She couldn't picture him sleeping under the pale pink duvet. Next to the bed was a cheap, two-drawer nightstand she'd bought herself in college; she'd stripped it and impulsively painted it in funky colors. Periwinkle for the top, yellow for the stand itself, purple for the drawers. Phillip would find it appalling. She'd been to his house many times and knew his fondness for stately antiques. Sipping her wine, she told herself she was being overly sentimental. It was an ugly nine dollar nightstand, for crying out loud, so who cared if she got rid of it? She went into the bathroom, the linoleum floor cool against her bare feet, and pulled her hair back with a scrunchy. The mask needed time to dry, and Lucy wouldn't start for another few minutes. Besides, Risa could do with some fresh air. Her balcony was located right off of her living room and afforded a nice view of the Atlanta skyline. She slid open the glass door and stepped out into the dark humidity, reflexively sliding the door shut behind her, dimly noting the way the frame jangled as the handle latched. The spring night was a velvet mist against her skin. Softness clung to her arms and legs, which were exposed by the short-sleeved nightshirt that fell to the tops of her thighs. She took a deep breath and leaned against the railing. Too bad she couldn't see any stars. With the illumination and haze from the aity, the sky waq a blurred violet, disturbed only by the occasional blinking red lights from passing planes. She contemplated t(e view and let her mind roam, draining the last of the wine. Finally, lassitude began to seep through her tanse muscles. When she turned to go inside, however, she frowned at the realization that, in her preoccupation, she'd closed the door all the way even t`ough she hadn't intended to latch it. Habit. Even as an adult, she could hear the Judge scolding that he wasn't paying to air condition the backyard. Phillip had been right earlier—the door was prone to sticking, but no matter. She tugged stubbornly at the handle, adding "elbow-grease," as her step-father would say. As she tried repeatedly, without results, the muggy air around her became oppressive rather than welcoming as it had first seemed. During one particularly fierce attempt, she heard a grating, [محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]l-against-[محذوف][محذوف][محذوف][محذوف]l sound. Glancing through the pane of glass, she could see that the runners were out of alignment. The door was not going to slide. Now what? Shinnying down the building was not an option from the seventh floor. Frustrated, she yanked one last time, but that only seemed to anger the door. The squealing, grating sound grew more pronounced, without so much as a budge. Okay. She was in the business of giving people options—what were hers? As she glanced around, it became apparent that she only had one. 7-G. Her neighbor's balcony was mere inches from hers. She could make it over there and knock on his door. Her front door was locked, but the super could bring her a key. There was more danger of her humiliating herself to death than falling. Biting her lip, Risa cursed the greed that had led her to rent a corner apartment. Sure, it was more spacious, but if she hadn't been on the corner, there would be someone with a balcony to her right, an alternative to seeing him again. In her tattered blue pajama shirt and facial mask! She was supposed to be safely inside watching a sitcom about a woman's misadventures—not having her own.

عرض البوم صور KATE  
قديم 08-09-07, 09:19 PM   المشاركة رقم: 3
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Jun 2006
العضوية: 6878
المشاركات: 209
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: nargis عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 16

االدولة
البلدSweden

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
nargis غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Thanx kate, It looks nice i will read it when its finished

عرض البوم صور nargis  
قديم 09-09-07, 06:14 PM   المشاركة رقم: 4
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
KATE غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Two

One of the advantages of being a bachelor again, Jack Wolfe told himself, was that he could drink orange juice straight out of the carton if he felt like it. He did so, grimaced at the cardboard taste, and reflected that there was a reason people used glasses.

Turning away from the fridge to grab a clean tumbler from the dishwasher, he jumped at the sight that greeted him. Someone was climbing onto his balcony! The carton slipped from his hand, and orange juice pooled at his feet.

He'd yet to buy curtains for the glass sliding door that ran alongside his kitchen and living room, so he had an unimpeded view of the woman hoisting herself over the rail. The most logical reason he could think of for someone climbing onto his balcony in the dead of night was burglary, but his visitor looked less than felonious wearing a baggy blue shirt and yellow bikini panties. He hadn't really meant to notice that last detail, but, hey, she was the one climbing onto his balcony.

It was his neighbor, if he wasn't mistaken. The one he'd met tonight in the elevator. Curious, and wanting to make sure she didn't fall and hurt herself, he hurried toward his door. As he opened it, the woman started, flailing a little and grabbing onto the ledge she'd just climbed over.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" She looked down with wide eyes, as though contemplating a seven story freefall.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He frowned. How had he ended up the one apologizing when she was the trespasser here? "You know, if you wanted to borrow a cup of sugar or something, you could've knocked on the front door."

She turned toward him then, and he noticed the orange, gritty goop covering her perfectly oval face for the first time. Until now, he'd been distracted by the novelty of a woman appearing on his balcony. And the lusciously long legs that ran from her high-arched bare feet to those yellow panties he'd glimpsed.

"You're the lady from next door, right? We met earlier?"

"Right. We didn't formally meet, but I'm Clarise. I mean, Risa. I mean, my name is Clarise, but I modified it to Risa in high school when Silence of the Lambs came out, to stem the tide of bad jokes about Chianti and fava beans and now I'm babbling." She took a deep breath and extended her hand politely. "Risa Alexander. And you are?"

"Confused." It was ten-thirty, and he was standing on his balcony with a woman in her pajamas discussing fava beans. "But you can call me Jack Wolfe."

He shook her hand then, her skin soft in his grasp. The scent of apricots and something sweetly floral — honeysuckle? — made him smile. The fellow computer geeks at work would never believe this story.

"Mr. Wolfe, I'm afraid I'm locked out of my apartment." Risa drew back, tugging self-consciously at the hem of her shirt as she spoke.

She needn't have bothered — one, she was modestly covered down to mid-thigh; two, no matter how much she was covered, the sight of those legs and bright lacy panties were indelibly printed on his mind.

"Come on in," he offered. "I assume you want to go through my apartment and back to your front door?"

"Actually, I need to use your phone, if you don't mind. My front door's locked, so I'll need someone with a set of keys." She might have been blushing, but it was hard to tell underneath the pale orange goop.

Jack stood aside as she entered his apartment, trying to keep his eyes from doing a once-over of her body as she passed. "Phone's above the sink."

She made a beeline across the kitchen tile, then stopped short. "If I could, um, ask just one more favor."

"Fire away." He could feel the corner of his mouth lifting in a grin, but tried to stifle it so she wouldn't think he was laughing at her plight. He couldn't remember a woman making him want to smile this much since the divorce.

"Do you happen to have the superintendent's phone number?"

He nodded, crossing the living room that was still littered with unpacked boxes. "Hang on a sec." In the spare bedroom he'd made his office, there was a desk piled with paperwork and his computer.

Once she had the number, Risa dialed, muttering repeated thank-yous. "Hi, Harry. I know it's late to be calling, but this is Risa Alexander in 7-H, and I'm having a bit of an emergency. You know how I put in a request to have someone look at that sliding glass door that sticks? Well, it's definitely stuck. I was out on my balcony, and now I can't get back in because my front door — no, I'm next door now, Mr. Wolfe's apartment. Yes, please. That would be lovely, Harry."

She hung up with a relieved sigh. "He's on his way."

"Can I get you something in the meantime? Something to drink, maybe?" Not orange juice, though, since the entire container had spilled across the floor.

Hm. . .stained kitchen floor and a living room cluttered with cardboard, nice first impression to make on a woman. She hadn't seemed to notice the puddle yet, and he told himself it was irrelevant if she did. She was the reason he'd dropped the carton. Nonetheless, he took a small shuffle-step to his left, standing between her and the worst of the mess.

"No drink, thanks, but could I borrow a washcloth?" She gestured toward her face. "I'd like to wash this off before anyone else sees. I'm embarrassed enough as is."

"If it helps, I have a couple of sisters and an ex-wife. I've seen plenty of beauty treatments in my time." He led her to the guest bathroom, glad it was reasonably clean; he hadn't lived there long enough for anything to get grungy. "Washcloths are in the closet next to the tub."

She shot him a grateful smile. He wandered back to his living room so she could commence scrubbing in privacy, then plopped down on the nondescript beige couch he'd bought after Amy asked for their complete living room set in the divorce. Moments later, Risa re-appeared, and Jack forgot all about his ex-wife. Along with washing her face, Risa had loosened her hair from its ponytail, and the caramel waves spilled down over her shoulders, streaked with honey and chestnut and copper. She wore her hair without bangs, so that it fell from a center part to frame her face — the slim nose$ high cheekbones, and almond-shaped hazel eyds that wepe as colorful as her hair. A melting of green an` gold and amber.

Quit staring! It was as bad as it had been on the elevator. He'd actually done a double-take when he'd first seen her. Tall and blessed w)t` regal, unique features, Risa Alexander was striking.

"Um, make yourself at home," he offered.

She leaned against the Bars!-lounger, but didn't sit. "Mr. Wolfe, about earlier..." Her tone was hesitant, apologetic. "In the elevator."

"Call me Jack, please, and you don't have to apologize for your date. Those sisters I mentioned have both dated their share of clods."

"What? I'll have you know, I'm engaged to the clod!" She clapped her hand over her mouth, then tried again. "That didn't come out right. Phillip and I are getting married."

Those yellow panties picked an inopportune time to flitter through his mind. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Sorry?" Risa squared her shoulders. " aybe you and Phillip didn't make the best first impressions on each other, but he's wonderful. A renowned attorney maki.g the country safer for all of us. Handsome, ambitious, filanaially solvent, does volunteer work with children—"

"Relax." He held up his hands. "You don't have to convince me, you're the one marrying him." "Yes."

A silence that was about as comfortable as wet wool thudded over the room.

What the hell was taking the super so long? All he had to do was grab a key and take the elevator. Of course, there was a chance he'd been asleep when Risa called, so maybe he needed to get dressed and things, but still.

She finally sat down, pulling the hem of her night shirt tightly over her thighs, trying to make the fabric stretch to her knees. Jack didn't have the heart to mention that her machinations merely flattened the thin cotton taut against her small but firm braless breasts. His gaze lingered across the faded white proclamation "Girls Rule."

No argument from him.

"Those are nice," she commented.

Tell me about it. Figuring they couldn't possibly be on the same wavelength, Jack dragged his gaze back up to her face. Her sparkling hazel eyes were fixed on the two canvases hanging above the big screen television. Pride shimmered inside him. Even if she were just being polite, at least she'd taken the time to notice the paintings. "You like them?"

"Very much." She stood, then crossed the room to get a closer look.

He watched, unable to resist evaluating her expression as she took in his work. The first painting was a representation of morning dew on a gossamer spider web, caught by the sunlight. The other was an abstract oil painting, done in many shades of orange. He'd been thinking of a sunset when he painted it, but there was no real image to the picture, just an expression of color.

"My original pieces," he confided.

She glanced over her shoulder. "You're an artist?"

"Not even close. I'm the IT Network specialist for The Sullivan Group. Painting's just a hobby. I give them out as presents, and it saves me from shopping at Christmas," he joked.

She laughed, but whatever response she might have made was cut off by the peal of the doorbell.

"That must be Harry," she said as Jack got to his feet.

Sure enough, the cavalry — in the form of a burly, fifty-something man with salt and pepper hair and a bushy mustache — had arrived.

Too late, Jack thought about offering Risa the robe hanging in his bathroom, since she was obviously so uncomfortable in just the nightshirt. The view hadn't bothered him in the least, but Harry's presence made him feel oddly protective.

"Thank you for everything," Risa told Jack once her apartment had been unlocked.

"Any time."

She laughed, and the throaty sound warmed him more than the recent spring heat wave. "If it's all the same to you, I'm going to try to never do this again. But I'll see you around."

He nodded, wondering if they would be bumping into each other frequently. So what if you do? She was engaged, and he'd sworn off women. Even though he understood why Amy had left, she'd still betrayed him. She'd known about his. limitations before he'd proposed. Maybe she'd honestly thought at the time that it wouldn't be a problem, but she'd changed her mind. There was no guarantee another woman wouldn't do the same.

Since he wasn't in the market for a relationship, that left meaningless affairs, which held no appeal for him. Jack definitely liked sex — in fact, he'd been reminded just this evening of how much he missed it — but his family was too full of loving examples of satisfied commitment for him to settle for less. He doubted he was cut out to live a monastic life, so he wasn't sure what long-term options were left. For the short term, he was concentrating on his job and the new apartment, now that the house he and Amy had once shared had finally found a new buyer. He'd pledged to just regroup and focus on himself for a while.

But he hadn't known Risa Alexander was about to drop onto his balcony and into his life.

عرض البوم صور KATE  
قديم 09-09-07, 06:23 PM   المشاركة رقم: 5
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
KATE غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Three

Risa nodded as the client on the other end of the phone described the part-time help she needed. "I think we have the perfect person—Deanna Simms. Do you have time to meet with her on Monday? 10:30, got it. Have a nice weekend!"

She hung up, tired from a long day but smiling. I love this job. Perfect Placement was her tribute to Maggie, her late mother. Even with her MBA and a loan from the bank, Risa couldn't have built her business so quickly without her mom's life insurance money. The Judge had controlled the fun$s until Risa turned twenty-one, even investing for her with lucrative results. Now, her work helped people fi.d employment and acquire skills; many of those people were single mothers or housewives who had been out of the job market so long they needed help getting back in.

Maggie hadn't had much help as a young, single mother, but she'd provided for her daughter. Risa knew her mother had often worried it wasn't enough, though. Maggie had been so excited about the ways marrying the Judge, a wealthy man, could change Risa's life. But he didn't want a daughter. He only tolerated me because he loved her. For a man of the Judge's stature to fall for his housekeeper had been like something out of a fairy tale...yet Risa remained cynical about happily ever afters.

"Rees? Shouldn't you have left al—are you all right?"

Blinking, Risa sat bolt upright in her chair, startled to find Janine standing across the oak desk, a concerned expression on her All-American face. With her blond hair, blue eyes and rounded figure, Janine was as much the stereotypical female ideal as Phillip was the male. From an aesthetic standpoint, they would've made a cute couple.

Janine would probably resign if Risa volunteered that opinion. The two most important people in her life respected each other, yet had never really...clicked.

"I'm all right. I just didn't see you there."

"Didn't see me? From three feet away?" Janine fisted her hands at her hips. "You sure you're all right? You aren't still embarrassed about your little adventure earlier this week, are you? I know I laughed at the whole pajamas-and-mud-mask balcony story, but your hunky neighbor has probably forgotten all about it."

"As have I," Risa lied. She stood, cramming things into her scarred dark green briefcase. "I was just thinking about Mom. I guess Phillip's proposal has made me a little emotional. Nostalgic."

Janine's gaze softened. "That's normal—she'll be with you in spirit when the big day arrives. Speaking of Phillip, what time are you supposed to meet him?"

"In..." Risa glanced at her watch. "Yikes! How did it get so late? What are you even still doing here? It's Friday. Go home, relax."

"I have three children. It's easier to relax here."

"You work too hard. Your dragon-lady boss should schedule you for a vacation."

"Again, three kids. I can't exactly jet off to the Caribbean with summer daycare tuition coming up." She looked wistful for a moment, then shook her head. "But we were talking about you. You need to get out of here if you're going to be on time. Here."

Risa took the manila folder labeled 'Deanna Simms,' and her eyes widened. "I hadn't even asked for it yet, how'd you know?"

Tapping her index finger against her temple, Janine said, "That's why you pay me the big bucks. At least, it's why I'm going to ask for the big bucks at my next evaluation."

"You're an angel." Risa grabbed her suit jacket off the back of her chair, then strode toward the outer office. "Promise me you're leaving, too, I don't want you here working all night."

Despite the evening hour, the May sun blazed brightly over the parking lot. Accumulated heat from the day sizzled in shimmery waves off the asphalt. As Risa unlocked her car door, she calculated how much time she needed to dash home, get ready, then grab a cab to the downtown hotel that was hosting the fundraising gala. It wouldn't look good to be late to the dinner where Phillip was being honored.

Tonight's benefit was for a charity that helped financially enable sick children to receive treatment at specializing hospitals, even when those hospitals were across the country, defraying lodging costs for the families. Phillip had made a sizable donation. He Hadn't publicized his contribution, but since the organization was saying a special thank-you to him 4onight, mention of his gift would inevitably make its way into the media.

Risa muttered a few choice wordq when congested conditions slnwed downtown traffic. She could thrgw on her emergency brake, get out and walk—she'd probably get home faster. Since she was stuck anyway, she tried to be productive, making mental notes about people she still needed to find positions for, trying to think if there would be any bigwigs tonight who could use some extra administrative assistance.

Speaking of assistants...Janine looked so tired lately! It killed Risa that she couldn't do more to help her friend. While the single mother was right about not being able to jet off to the tropics, Risa had done some work with a man who owned a resort in South Carolina and had promised her reduced rates if she and Phillip ever wanted to come up for the weekend. I'll make a quick call tomorrow. Eventually, traffic got moving. Once in her apartment, she frantically got ready and was soon wobbling out of the elevator on a pair of sparkly blue high heels.

Through the lobby's revolving glass doors, she spied the yellow cab pull up to the curb. That was fast, she noted with relief. She'd called from upstairs, while waiting for the hot rollers in her hair to cool, and asked them to get here as soon as possible. Thankfully, they'd surpassed her expectations. Deciding to tip the driver extra well, she tried to quicken her pace, which was difficult considering the stiff, strapless bustier she wore beneath her dress barely allowed her to breathe.

Between the heels and the corset-like instrument of torture, she wasn't sure how she would smile and make pleasant small talk all night, but the tummy-tucking bustier had been necessary. Oh, sure, it was lacy and black and looked sexy, but the real reason she'd bought it was to hide the occasional pastry she had with her morning coffee and the$pizza runs with Janine and her kids. The form-fmtting cut of Risa's glittering, midnight blue, sleeveless dress was lovely, but unforgiving.

Nodding to the night doorman qs she passed, Risa approached the curbside cab.

"I believe that's my taxi," a deep voice said behind her.

No, no, no. It was hers, and if it wasn't, it would be when she finished begging. Refusing0to relinquish her grip on the handle, she looked over her shoulder. But one look at the man behind her, and her breath caught in her throat, her pleading forgotten. "Wow. You clean up really nice."

"Thanks, I think." Devastating in a black tuxedo and graphite colored vest and tie, Jack Wolfe grinned his irreverently crooked half-smile. "You don't look half bad yourself."

"Mr. Wolfe, Jack, I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding. You see-—"

The taxi driver rolled down the window, his expression and tone identically impatient. "What's the delay, folks?"

"Just a misunderstanding," Risa answered. "The gentleman thought the taxi was for him."

"Right." The driver consulted a sheet of paper on a clipboard. "Here to pick up Jack Wolfe. You're not together?"

Of course. Her cab was probably stuck on the side of the road somewhere with four flat tires.

"Jack, please, could I ask you a huge favor? I'm already running late, and I have to get across town to the Wynslette Manor Inn for—"

"The recognition dinner and benefit ball?" His eyes, made even more intensely silver by the color of his vest, widened. "Unbelievable. That's where I was headed."

Relief hit her so hard her knees almost buckled. "Then we can share a cab?"

"By all means." He made shooing motions. "Get in."

She hastily obliged. Jack slid in next to her on the lumpy but thankfully clean bench seat, and had barely shut the door behind them when their driver sped off toward Peachtree. Risa inhaled, enjoying the subtle spiciness of her companion's cologne. He smelled as good as he looked, and he looked good. Darting a sidelong peek in his direction, she was startled to find him staring at her.

"You'll be the most beautiful woman there." The masculine appreciation lacing his voice made it clear the words weren't empty flattery.

Sitting up a little taller, she told herself she was glad she'd worn the masochistic girdle thing that made her stomach flat and her silhouette sleek.

Jack added, "But of course, I'm sure your fiancé will say the same thing...he will be there, won't he?"

"Of course. He's one of the contributors being recognized. What about you, are you meeting a date?"

"Are you kidding? I couldn't afford two tickets to this benefit." He laughed. "Actually, I don't know many people on this side of town yet. Don't mock me, but I invited one of my sisters. Her husband travels a lot on business, and I thought she'd enjoy a glamorous night out. But my niece Sara came down with a flu at the last minute, so I'm flying solo."

He'd have no trouble meeting women. All eyes would be on him the second he walked through the door. Except hers, of course; she'd be looking dutifully at Phillip. Truth be told, Phillip was more classically handsome. Still...

"How long have you been involved with the organization?" she asked.

He turned to look out the window, but not before she saw his smile straighten into a grim line. "A few years, I like their track record, everything they do for the kids and their families. I'd hoped to be raising kids by now, but... Anyway, since I don't have children of my own to spend money on, I help groups like this."

"That's wonderful." And it was, but she was preoccupied with how sad he sounded. Because of the divorce? She empathized with his longing to be a parent, to have a family. She envied him his siblings.

Jack cleared his throat. "So, what do you do?"

"I put people in their place."

One eyebrow quirked, and she was pleased to have put that gleam of amusement back in his eyes. "I wouldn't imagine that pays well."

"I own Perfect Placement. We help people build job skills and find employment. A lot of temp to perm stuff and part-time work. We go through the interviewing process and test people's computer literacy as well as other abilities. Then we match them up with companies who are short-handed and too busy to do their own searching and hiring."

"Sounds like you enjoy your job."

"I really do."

They talked a bit more about work and moved on to other subjects, like the Braves' chances for the Pennant. By the time the cab pulled up in front of the Wynslette Manor, Risa felt as though she and Jack were old friends. Still, she couldn't claim the same kind of comfort she had with Janine. As much as Risa enjoyed talking to Jack, she was never—much as she tried—unaware of the tension.

Did he feel the electric push and pull, too, or was it only on her end, the attraction and resulting guilt?

There's nothing wrong with noticing a man's attractive. And we were only making conversation to kill time.

They'd barely made it into the elegant ballroom, candlelit despite the many gorgeous chandeliers suspended over head, when Phillip appeared in front of her.

"There you are." He kissed her cheek. "I've been—what is he doing here?"

The guilt Risa had been feeling over her enjoyable cab ride with Jack turned to apprehension. Phillip's normally smooth features were pinched as he glared at Jack, obviously just now recognizing her tuxedoed companion as her paint-spattered neighbor.

Jack's smile didn't reach his eyes. "If you mean why am I here with your fiancée, it's because we shared a cab. If you mean how did riffraff like me get past security, you'd be amazed at who they'd let in to these things based solely on a donadion."

Rica inserted herself between them, annoyed with men and all their accompanying testosterone. "The two of you obviously got off on the wrong foot, and we should fix that. Phillip, this is Jack Wolfe, a common supporter in the children's cause—which is of course why wa're here. Jack, Phillip Donavan$ the man I'm engaged to, as you know,"

Studying Risa's expression, Phillip sighed. "Sorry about my assumption the other night," he offered to the other man.

The two men shook hands, and Risa wondered if, despite their tight smiles of congeniality, they were trying to break each other's fingers.

"I'm starving," she said brightly. "When do we eat?"

"The dinner presentation isn't until eight," Phillip replied, "but how about I get you a glass of champagne, Clarise?"

"Thanks, but no. I was reminded the other night that champagne leaves me with a headache."

"What about a nice Chianti?" Jack suggested, his expression deadpan.

Recalling her Silence of the Lambs comment the night they'd met, she laughed—drawing a scowl from Phillip.

"If you'll excuse us, Mr. Wolfe, Clarise and I have some important people we need to speak to."

Jack caught her gaze. "Maybe you'll take pity on the guy with no date and save a dance for me later?"

Phillip's arm tightened around her shoulder, and though she knew he was too politically correct to say anything, she also knew he disliked the idea. Which is just silly. At law firm dinners, they both danced with other people. Why was Jack Wolfe any different?

But he was. She knew it from the way her pulse sped up at the thought of being in his arms.

Obviously seeing her discomfort, Jack relented. "Never mind, I understand you'll probably be busy. See you around the building, Risa."

As he drifted off through the crowd, she slanted her gaze up at Phillip. "He's really a nice man, once you get to know him."

"I didn't realize you knew him well," Phillip said mildly. He dropped a kiss to her brow. "Your taste is impeccable, darling. If you say he's a decent guy, I'm sure you're right."

Something was wrong with her. Why should her heart rate kick up at the mere thought of dancing with Jack, but not the brush of Phillip's lips?

"Over here on your left, darling, are the Morrows. You remember—"

"Phillip, are you sure about us? Getting married I mean?"

His hands dropped to his sides, his expression uncharacteristically stunned. "Why would you say such a thing?"

She swallowed. "I wonder...should there be more passion?"

"Do you know how many awful 'crimes of passion' lawyers see committed every year? You know I find you a very attractive woman. Are you nervous about telling the Judge this weekend?"

They'd decided they'd tell him in person over Sunday brunch, but that wasn't what worried her. "No, he'll be thrilled. I just hope we're happy."

"We're perfect together," he assured her. "Isn't this what you do full-time, find where a person belongs? You and I belong together, darling. Trust your instincts."

Easy for him to say. His instincts weren't scared they were about to make a huge mistake

عرض البوم صور KATE  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة