ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
nargis ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : nargis ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter Ten

But if Blake was feeling smug, Violet was trying to rein in a totally different emotion. She glanced from Harley’s amused expression to Duke’s shocked one, back to Blake’s arrogance.
“How dare you!” she raged at Blake, pushing to her feet.
It was a mistake. She was already weak from the effects of pregnancy and lack of sleep. She started to fall.
Blake moved like greased lightning to catch her as she slumped. He hefted her in his arms and cradled her close, smiling. “It’s still the first trimester,” he told her gently. “You have to watch making sudden moves like that. You could fall.”
She glared at him, furious and with no way to retaliate.
Duke’s threatening stance had relaxed. He looked at Blake with conflicting emotions. “It’s your baby?” he asked slowly.
Blake gave him a look that could have started a brushfire. “How dare you!” he repeated Violet’s own earlier statement, and managed to look indignant as well as angry. “What sort of woman do you think she is?”
Duke cleared his throat. “Sorry.”
Violet was trying not to smile. It really wasn’t funny. But Blake’s defense of her made her feel warm all over.
Blake relaxed a little, but he wasn’t putting Violet down. “You have to make sure she gets frequent breaks,” he told Duke. “So that she doesn’t get too tired. I’ll come by at lunchtime every day and take her out to a nice restaurant where she can get plenty of protein.” He looked thoughtful. “Nothing with hormones or antibiotics, of course, we have to think of the baby.”
“Blake!” Violet gasped, hitting his shoulder.
“And she positively can’t work late,” Blake added belligerently.
Duke was smiling now, and trying to hide it. “Okay,” he said agreeably.
Harley was [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]l-shocked. He’d really liked Violet. But the way Blake Kemp was looking at her made his feelings almost tangible. And she was pregnant. Harley sighed wistfully. He didn’t have a lot of luck getting women, despite his history for helping crack a major drug ring in the area.
Blake looked back down at Violet. “Feel okay now?” he asked softly, and smiled at her.
She wanted to curl into his strong body and kiss him until she stopped aching. That would never do, of course. “I’m much better,” she said primly, and shifted to let him know that she wanted to be put down.
He eased her onto her feet. “We have to tell your mother.”
“About the baby?” Duke wondered aloud.
“About Janet Collins being arrested in San Antonio,” Blake corrected. “She’s being charged with first degree murder in the death of Violet’s father.”
Duke and Harley both let out a whistle. “I’m sorry, Violet,” Duke said gently. “If you need to leave early, you can. I’ll get a temp out here to fill in for you.”
“No, it’s better if I don’t upset Mama by altering my routine,” Violet said. “I’ll do it when I get off work.”
“I’ll go with you,” Blake said easily.
She met his eyes and it was like lightning striking. She cleared her throat. “Thanks.”
He nodded, lost in that soft, hungry gaze.
Duke whacked Harley with a big fist. “Speaking of routines, we’ve got cattle to move.” He glanced at Blake. “I didn’t realize why you were here. Sorry about the reception.”
Blake shrugged. “No harm done.”
Duke hesitated. “I’ll make sure she gets enough breaks,” he added. “I remember how my wife was, before our son was born.” His face closed up.
“We heard she’s coming down for a visit,” Blake said, fishing.
Duke’s poker face was hard to read. “We’re discussing a revision of the custody rights. She’s spending a lot of time in the air, and the boy stays in a day care center or with a sitter most of the week.” His eyes flashed angrily. “I want to bring him here to live.”
“Will she do it, do you think?” Violet asked gently.
“It was a messy divorce,” he replied. “But I’m just beginning to realize how much of it was my own fault. I ran her off.” He shrugged. “Maybe we can work things out better now.” He stared at Blake. “You tried to tell me that, and I punched you.”
Blake chuckled. “No harm done. I punched back.”
Duke managed a smile. “He was a captain in the special forces, did you know?” he asked Violet. “He and Cag Hart served together.”
“I don’t talk about that,” Blake said curtly.
“Well, excuse me,” Duke said easily. “It wasn’t as if you hid in a foxhole and looked for ways out of combat, you know.”
Violet was looking at Blake curiously.
Duke grinned. “He’ll tell you one day, I suppose,” he said. “Or show you the medals, if he’s in a good mood.”
Blake’s eyes were blazing.
“I’m going!” Duke said, palms out. “Come on, Harley, we’ll go load up that bull your boss wants.”
“Yes, sir,” Harley replied, with a wink at Violet. Blake glared at him. He held his palms out, too, chuckling, and followed Duke out the door.
Violet stared after them, then at Blake. He didn’t look guilty. He looked smug, standing there with a grin on his face and his hands in his pockets. He wasn’t a man who smiled often. He seemed to do it a lot with Violet, she noticed. It eased her embarrassment.
“Now you’ll marry me, won’t you?” he mused with pursed lips.
Her eyes narrowed as she sat back down. “That wasn’t fair.”
His eyes twinkled. “Neither is walking around town with my baby under your heart, smiling at other men. Especially Harley Fowler,” he added, just to make it clear.
She blinked. “I’m not interested in Harley, that way.”
“Well, he’s interested in you. Or he was.”
“You’re not serious.”
“I am.” The smile faded as he looked at her, and felt a new and tender protectiveness for her. “You don’t have much of a self-image. I’ve been a bad influence on you, and I haven’t given you the support you need. That’s going to change.”
“Do you feel all right?” she asked warily.
“Maybe Duke isn’t the only one who’d done some soul-searching lately,” he replied. “I spent weeks putting you down, when you came to work for me. You’d never given me anything except concern and kindness. I resented it. I suppose I knew even that long ago that you were under my skin. I fought it, of course.”
“It might just be the baby,” she began.
“It might not.”
She smiled at him, her eyes softening. “Well, well.”
He smiled back. “I’ll come by when you get off work and follow you home. We’ll both break the news to Mrs. Hardy.”
“Mama’s tough,” she told him. “She seems very frail, but she’s got grit.”
“So have you. I’m afraid you’ll need it, too, when this case goes to trial. It will bring back some painful memories for both of you.”
“We faced all that when Daddy died,” she said sadly. “Including the loss of his money and our home. At least we’ll get some satisfaction at seeing her brought to account for killing him. I hope she’ll go to jail.”
“So do I, but you can’t second-guess a jury. We’ll have to supply the prosecutor with as much ammunition as we can get,” he added. “I don’t want her to slip out of this.”
“Neither do I,” Violet agreed. She smiled at him. “Thanks.”
“I’ll see you at five.” He winked before he went out the door. Violet sat staring after him, sighing, until she realized that she had work to get done.

Mrs. Hardy knew something was wrong when she heard two cars pull up in the driveway, and especially when she saw Blake and Violet come in together looking somber.
She sat up straight in her chair and folded her hands on her lap. “Okay. What’s going on?”
They both started.
“Two cars? Both of you here just after work? It’s something big.”
“Well…” Violet began.
Blake moved closer. “They caught Janet Collins. She’s in jail in San Antonio.”
“Hallelujah!” Mrs. Hardy burst out, grinning.
Blake and Violet exchanged puzzled stares.
“Am I supposed to faint or something?” Mrs. Hardy asked. “Sorry. I’m very happy they got her, and I’ll be more than happy to testify to everything I know.”
“It will be stressful,” Violet began, sitting down on the sofa across from her mother.
“Letting her get away with it would be more stressful.” She looked at Blake solemnly. “And speaking of stress, when are you two getting married?”
Blake’s lips fell open.
“It had better be soon,” she added firmly. “I do not want my daughter waddling down the aisle in maternity clothes.”
“Mama!” Violet exclaimed, horrified.
“She thinks I’m deaf,” Mrs. Hardy told Blake. “I’d have to be, not to hear her throwing up every morning.” She studied him belligerently. “Well?”
Blake actually laughed. “I just told her new boss about the baby.”
“It will be a scandal,” Mrs. Hardy wailed.
“It will be a baby,” Blake corrected, smiling tenderly at Violet. “With two parents who’ll love and want him very much.”
“Indeed they will,” Violet agreed, smiling back at him.
“So?” Mrs. Hardy persisted. “When?”
“I suppose if we hurry, we can manage next week,” Blake said.
“Under the circumstances, the sooner the better. But it won’t be a big wedding. I’ve got cases I can’t postpone, so there won’t be time for a honeymoon just yet.”
“Never mind the honeymoon, you have to legalize my grandchild,” Mrs. Hardy continued.
“I’ll get right to the arrangements,” Blake said. “She can go shopping for a dress and I’ll arrange the flowers and the reception.”
“What about the minister?” Mrs. Hardy asked.
“We could have a civil service,” Violet began, worried.
“We will not,” Blake interrupted. “We’re having a church wedding. Violet,” he continued softly when he saw her face, “it’s not as if we’re being forced into it.” He glanced at Mrs. Hardy and cleared his throat. “Well, we’re sort of being forced into it, and we did jump the gun. But we’re going to have a good marriage, and it needs a good foundation.”
“I’d be self-conscious in church,” she murmured.
“Even the Puritans crossed the line when they were engaged,” Blake said. “God doesn’t expect people to be perfect. Luckily for us all.”
“I suppose so,” Violet replied.
“People will talk,” Mrs. Hardy murmured unhappily.
“They’re already talking, and smiling, and laughing,” Blake told her with a grin. “It’s an open secret all over town. The only thing they’re curious about is where we’re being married.”
“I suppose that’s the beauty of small towns,” Violet agreed, smiling back. “There are no real secrets. We’re all family.”
“Exactly,” Blake replied. “Now to the next important issue.” He watched their faces grow attentive. “Who wants Chinese take-out?” he asked, chuckling.
He went to get the order and brought it back to Mrs. Hardy’s. She and Violet already had the places set at the table and they were all hungry. They talked over the potential case against Janet Collins, and the forthcoming wedding. By the time Blake was ready to leave, Mrs. Hardy was smiling and seemed to have no more misgivings.
Violet walked him out to his car, noticing how bright and clear the night sky was. The stars were brilliant. All around there was the fragrance of the old-fashioned roses Mrs. Hardy grew in her small garden.
Mrs. Hardy had already announced her opinion of living with the newlyweds—and especially Blake’s delinquent Siamese. She said she’d prefer torture. So they’d compromised on having a nurse-companion stay with her. Blake would call an agency and have them send over people for Mrs. Hardy’s approval.
“She’ll be much happier here, I know,” Violet told him on the porch. “She loves puttering in her roses. We can visit her a lot.”
“We’ll come over often and bring supper, too,” he said. “She’ll have someone qualified to look after her, so you don’t have to worry about that.” He looked at her curiously. “See how easily things work out, when they’re meant to happen?”
She nodded. She moved a step closer to him. It was chilly, despite the usually warm spring nights. She looked up at him quietly. “You won’t end up resenting the baby because it forced us into marriage?”
He caught her by the waist and pulled her close. “If I didn’t care about you, I’d make provisions for you and the baby and we wouldn’t get married,” he said surprisingly. “I don’t like the idea of divorce. It’s messy and it leaves a trail of sorrow behind it. You and I have a lot in common. We’re basically the same sort of people. We have the same attitudes. We both love children and animals. There’s enough there to start with, and a physical compatibility that I never expected in a million years. I want to marry you. The baby is going to be a bonus.”
Tears stung her eyes. “You’ve thought about this a lot.”
“I have. That’s why I’m sorry you overheard me talking to Dr. Lou Coltrain,” he added, identifying his confidant for the first time. “I wasn’t choosing my words, and I was confused. I’m not anymore.”
“You’re sure about that?” she asked gently.
He nodded. He traced a line down her soft cheek. “I’ve been alone for a long time. I’m tired of it. I’ll adjust, and so will you.”
She nodded, but she still looked worried.
“What now?” he asked.
“I’m scared.”
“Of getting married?” he asked with a quizzical smile.
“Of the baby,” she replied. “They don’t come with instruction manuals. They’re so tiny, and so fragile…”
He drew her close, laughing softly. “Everybody’s afraid of being parents,” he said easily. “But babies are tougher than they seem, and there’s always Dr. Lou. She’s had lots of experience with pregnant people, and she knows a very good obstetrician.”
“So I heard.”
“Stop worrying,” he told her. “We’re in this together.”
“I suppose we are, at that,” she conceded. “We’ll have company, too—well, about marriage. Libby and Jordan Powell are getting married.”
He grinned. “That’s no surprise. He’s been in and out of the office several times trying to get her to forgive him.”
“Serves him right that she took her time about it,” she pointed out. “He and Julie Merrill were a venomous pair. Will Julie go to prison for that arson charge, do you think?”
“She’ll probably try to let her employee swing in her place. Don’t worry. Chief Grier has another pending charge, one that she won’t escape so easily.”
“Are you going to tell me what it is?” she fished.
He chuckled. “Not now.” He bent and kissed her gently, tugging her close into his arms. They were warm and safe against the chill of the evening. She sighed and kissed him back. His mouth felt as warm as his arms. He was perfect to her.
“Go back in,” he said after a minute, running his lean hands over her arms. “You’re freezing out here.”
“It’s supposed to be spring already,” she pointed out, shivering.
“If you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes,” he repeated the standing local joke.
“I believe that.” She smiled. “Are we really getting married next week, or was that just to placate Mama?”
“It was to placate me, too,” he replied somberly. “I don’t want people making snide remarks about you, the way they’re talking about Tippy Moore moving in with Chief Grier.”
“She was badly hurt,” she stated. “Nobody sane is going to think anything of it. Besides, Mrs. Jewell is staying there around the clock. So is Tippy’s little brother. There are too many chaperones for much to go on.”
“Still, there’s talk,” he countered. “And they’ll have more ammunition with you than they did with Tippy, even considering her miscarriage. It won’t take long for someone to notice that you had prenatal vitamins filled up in Victoria.”
She gasped. “How did you know that?”
“Lou told me,” he said simply, and he smiled. “Well, I am a concerned party,” he reminded her. “It’s my baby, too.” He hesitated, frowning as he looked down at Violet and then at her flat stomach. He felt…odd. He’d never thought about children, except once, long ago, with Shannon. Since then, since the fatal poisoning that had claimed her and her unborn child, he’d been belligerent about not wanting children. But now…
“You’re upset,” Violet said softly, moving a step closer. “What is it?”
He looked worried. “You know that I’ve been adamant about never wanting children. I’m not sure you know why.”
She’d forgotten that, and it made her heart sink. She knew he was making the most of a bad situation, but she hadn’t wanted to remember how he felt about children. “Some men just don’t like them,” she began.
He put his forefinger over her mouth. “Shannon was pregnant when she died,” he said bluntly. “It was my child.”
She didn’t look shocked, as he’d expected. He frowned.
“Small towns,” she explained softly. “Everybody knows everything.”
“You knew that?”
She nodded. “I’m sorry it happened that way.”
He drew in a long breath. “Yes. So am I. It was a blow that I never quite got over. Every time I saw Julie Merrill, it brought it all back. She killed another human being for no more reason than she wanted to be class president. She didn’t even seem to be bothered by it.”
“There are people who feel nothing at all,” she replied. “I don’t understand it, either. But someday, she’ll pay for the evil she’s done.”
“The sooner, the better,” he replied.
She reached up and touched his cheek. “Did you know, about the baby?”
His face went taut. “No. I’m not sure she was comfortable telling me about it. I was more adamant in those days about families than I am now, and that’s saying something. That made the guilt worse. I wondered if she’d been tormented, thinking I wouldn’t want the child. As it is,” he added heavily, “it’s a moot point. The baby died with her.”
“Did Julie know?” she wondered.
“I never asked. It would make no difference now. But I’d still love to see her lining up for payback, for the things she’s done. She shouldn’t be allowed to get away with it.”
“People don’t get away with things, Blake,” she said, sounding much more mature than she was as she looked up at him. “It may take years, even a lifetime. But eventually people who hurt other people get it back, doubled.”
He traced her mouth softly. She made him feel comforted, safe, secure. He was a tough ex-special forces captain and he really did have the medals to prove it. But she melted him. He wondered if she had any idea what he felt for her. It was like what he’d felt for Shannon, years ago. Shannon. He saw her face, in the casket, white and still, her happy blue eyes closed forever. He felt sick.
It wasn’t Violet’s fault, and when he saw her uncertain stare, he felt worse. He bent and kissed her tenderly. He was anguished, but he didn’t want her to think she was responsible for it. He was remembering Shannon, as he’d last seen her, when the light had gone out of the world. He had to get out of here, to have time to himself to come to terms with the past. “Get some rest. I’ll phone you tomorrow,” he told her.
He’d promised lunch, but she could tell that the discussion about Shannon was wounding him. She only smiled. “I’ll look forward to it,” she said. “Drive carefully.”
He nodded absently, turned, and went to his car. He didn’t look back as he drove away.
Violet hesitated before she went back into the house. She wasn’t really worried. He wasn’t lying about their physical compatibility, and he did seem to want their child. But he hadn’t completely settled the past. He needed time, and she was going to give it to him. She wanted him desperately. But he had to want her just as much. He had to let go of the memory of Shannon.
Somehow, she knew, he would manage that.

She and her mother had an early night. She dreamed about the baby, and awoke feeling flushed and excited about the prospect of bringing a new little life into the world. She didn’t care which sex it was. She only wanted a healthy child.
She wondered how she was going to manage to work and raise a family, or if Blake really wanted her to. She liked her job, but she loved the idea of being with her children while they were small, taking them places, reading to them, being with them. Her mother had given up work to be a stay-at-home mother, and she’d never regretted it. Violet knew that she would feel the same. If Blake had been a common laborer, and she had to work to help make their living, she knew she’d cope. But they were in different circumstances. She wanted to try it.
As she walked into Duke Wright’s office the next morning, she noticed that her boss was looking uneasy. He glanced up at her approach, and he didn’t smile.
“Did I do something wrong?” she asked uneasily.
He shook his head. “Beka’s on her way.”
“Excuse me?”
“Beka. My…almost ex-wife. And our son.”
“Oh.” She put down her purse. “Do you need me to do anything?”
“There isn’t much to be done,” he replied. He moved away from the desk with his hands in his jeans pockets. “I hope she meant what she said on the phone, that she’s willing to consider leaving Trent with me.”
“Maybe she did,” Violet said, trying to be reassuring.
He shrugged. “It’s just that she may change her mind if she finds out I’ve got Delene working here in the lab,” he blurted out.
“Does she know Delene?” Violet wanted to know.
He grimaced. “They only met once, at my college reunion. Delene didn’t like her, and it showed. See, Beka had barely graduated high school at the time. It was before she went back to college to get her law degree. Delene was in my graduating class—a science major, at that. She always was brainy.”
Violet’s eyebrows arched. “Well!”
“If she thinks I’m involved with Delene, she may take Trent right back to New York,” he said uncomfortably. “What can I do? I can’t very well fire the best biologist I’ve got!”
“You could have Delene go off on a fact-finding trip to Colorado,” she suggested.
He looked at her blankly. “Colorado?”
“Isn’t the National Cattleman’s Association sponsoring some sort of workshop for artificial insemination experts this week?” she wondered.
He pursed his lips. “Why, so they are! There was a brochure about it in the mail last week, remember?”
“Yes, I do.” She checked her watch. “You could get her on a plane by noon, if you hurry.”
He chuckled. “Violet, you’re a wonder!”
“Just a suggestion, boss.”
He sighed. “Now, if she’ll just go…!”
“Ask her. But you’d better hurry,” she pointed out. “You don’t have much time.”
“I’ll do it right now. Uh, those letters on the desk need answering, but I haven’t got a minute to dictate them right now. Just catch up herd records, okay?”
“Okay.”
He was gone before she had a chance to even answer him. She sat down, amused, and turned on her computer. It was going to be an interesting day.

Two hours later, she was deep in a spreadsheet program, listing daily weight gain quotas and measurements from the new bull yearling crop, when the door opened and a tall, blond woman walked in with a small boy in a suit in tow.
She stopped short when she saw Violet at the desk. She frowned, and peered at the woman. “Do I know you?” she asked slowly.
“Are you Mrs. Wright?” Violet replied politely, and then grimaced, because she was about to be the ex-Mrs. And that might not be a politically correct way of addressing her. Violet flushed.
“I’m Beka Wright,” the other woman replied tersely. She moved forward, with the little boy. “Are you new?”
“Yes, ma’am,” Violet agreed. “I’ve been working for Mr. Wright on and off for just a few weeks.”
“On and off?” Beka queried, while the child at her side fidgeted and leaned against her leg in its elegant black slacks above high heels.
“Mr. Kemp fires me periodically,” she replied. “Or I quit. But I’ll be going back pretty soon, I guess, because we’re sort of engaged,” she added quickly, before the other woman could get the wrong idea about her presence here. She smiled shyly.
“Blake Kemp is getting married?” Mrs. Wright asked. She felt her forehead. “I must feel worse than I thought. Or maybe I’m hearing things.”
“No, it’s true,” Violet assured her. “We’re sort of having a baby.”
“A baby. Now I know I need to sit down.” Mrs. Wright plopped into the chair in front of the desk and hoisted the little boy onto her lap. “Where’s my husb…my ex-husband?” she corrected curtly.
“I think he drove Miss Crane to the airport,” she replied, and then could have bitten her tongue out for mentioning it.
“Delena Crane?” Her face tightened. “What’s she doing here?” Beka demanded.
“Uh, she’s going to a conference in Colorado. She’s a biologist.” She didn’t dare add that she worked for Mr. Wright, too.
Beka relaxed, but just a little. “Does she spend much time here?” she asked suspiciously.
“Not much, no.” Violet hoped she wouldn’t get in trouble for lying.
“Good. I mean, I wouldn’t want my son around her,” Beka qualified. “She has an attitude problem. When will Duke be back?” she continued.
Violet looked past her and grimaced. “Any second,” she murmured uncomfortably.
Beka turned around. Duke Wright was standing in the doorway, his hat cocked low over one eye, his face as rigid as steel. And he wasn’t smiling.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ nargis  
ÞÏíã 30-08-07, 07:36 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 17
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Jun 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 6878
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 209
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: nargis ÚÖæ ÈÍÇÌå Çáì ÊÍÓíä æÖÚå
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 16

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSweden

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
nargis ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : nargis ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter Eleven
Duke moved forward into the room, his expression changing when he saw the blond-headed little boy in his wife’s lap.
“Hey, Trent!” he called, grinning.
“Daddy!” Trent struggled away from his mother and made a beeline to the tall man who waited, stooping, with his arms open. The child launched himself into them and hugged the man for all he was worth. “Daddy, I missed you so much!” he wept. “Why didn’t you come to see us in New York?”
Duke looked tormented. He wouldn’t meet his wife’s eyes. He kissed the little boy. “I’m glad you came to see me,” he replied, smiling at the child. He looked up, meeting Beka’s dark eyes evenly. “Hello, Beka.”
“Hello, Duke,” she replied, not quite meeting his accusing gaze.
“I’m sure you have a motel room by now, but I’d love it if you’d let Trent stay here,” he said quietly. “I have a live-in housekeeper, Mrs. Holmes, who loves children. She’s a wonderful cook.”
Beka seemed uncomfortable. “I…there aren’t…well, there isn’t a motel room vacant in Jacobsville…” She looked up at him.
“You’re welcome to stay here, too,” he replied. “I just didn’t think you’d want to,” he added bitterly.
“I can stand it if you can,” she told him. “Our suitcases are in the car. I’ll just go get them,” she said, rising.
“I’ll have one of the boys bring them in for you,” he returned curtly. “If that’s all right,” he added unexpectedly, and without antagonism.
Her thin eyebrows arched and she looked shocked. “Yes. That would be fine. Thank you.”
“You’re welcome.” He put Trent down and smiled at him. “Want to come with me? I’m going out to the corral to get one of my cowboys. He’s working a new filly on a leading rein.”
“What’s a filly, Daddy?” he asked.
“A filly is a young female horse,” he replied. “She’s an Appaloosa. She has striped hooves and spots on her back,” he added with a grin.
“I thought you sold all the Appaloosas!” Beka exclaimed.
“Not all of them,” he replied. His eyes went over her red silk blouse and down the black slacks to her small feet in high heels. “You’re welcome to join us. It’s pretty dusty out there,” he added.
She moved toward him, a little hesitantly. “Clothes can be cleaned,” she said. She took Trent’s hand. “I’d like to see her.”
Duke’s eyes softened and he smiled. “She’s a beauty.”
Beka smiled back, following the man and the boy out the door.
Violet watched them go with hopeful feelings. She knew it had been a messy divorce, because she’d been working with Blake at the time. Her personal opinion had been that Duke Wright was an overbearing, unreasonable tyrant. She had no sympathy for him at all. A woman who married a man like Duke could expect to be owned like a horse. He never asked anyone else’s opinion; he gave his. He threw out orders like a military commander, and the first day Violet met him, she’d have liked to see him upside down in a barrel of dirty water.
But he’d mellowed just recently. It was obvious that he was trying to be polite to his ex-wife, even if it was only to help his case with his son. Delene certainly seemed to like him. She grimaced. When Mrs. Wright found out who the new biologist was, she wasn’t going to be smiling. It was going to be an explosion of some magnitude…

Blake had gone home in a black mood. Mee and Yow curled up beside him in bed that night and purred while he brooded. He couldn’t get that last vision of Shannon out of his mind, lying so still and beautiful in her white coffin. All the long years, he’d wondered if he could have saved her if he’d just agreed to go to the party with her. She’d asked him to, and he’d wanted to go, because even back then he didn’t trust Julie Merrill.
But he’d had a court case the following Monday and he’d wanted time to work on his defense. While he was writing up gambits for his opening argument, Shannon was drinking a drug that worked like poison. He hadn’t known a thing about it until early the next morning, when her mother had phoned from the hospital to tell him the news.
He’d gone around in a daze for weeks afterward. He hadn’t been able to think, much less work. His reserve unit, like Cag Hart’s, had been called up in 1991 when Operation Desert Storm sent soldiers to Kuwait to liberate it from invasion. He’d volunteered without a second thought, not at all concerned that he might die.
He’d waded right in with his company, in the thick of the fighting, a captain in a forward unit. During a memorable firefight, he’d propelled a tank into the thick of an enemy position and used it like a battering ram to shut down a machine gun nest that was killing his men. He’d been awarded a Purple Heart, because he’d been wounded in the ensuing firefight, and a Silver Star for gallantry in action. Few people around here knew about it. He didn’t talk about his military service. Well, except to Cag Hart, who understood. Cash Grier was rumored to have been in Iraq during the same period, but it was a subject Cash didn’t encourage. He was even more reticent than Blake, and that was saying something.
He tossed and turned all night, finally giving in around daylight. He got up and made coffee and toast and brooded at the table. Shannon, the war, all that was in the past. He couldn’t go back. For all the wonder he’d felt with her, there had never been the spontaneous rush of passion that he felt when he was with Violet. He and Shannon had loved one another, but with a quieter, less tempestuous love. What he felt with Violet was something else again, a whirlpool of delights that left him breathless even in memory.
He thought about the baby. He wondered if it would look like him or like Violet, if it would be a boy or a girl. He could picture himself with a little girl on his lap, reading her bedtime stories, or with a little boy, showing him the telescope and distant planets, and teaching him about rocks. He loved rocks even more than astronomy. He had samples of crystals and meteorites and fossils and all sorts of minerals. He had a [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]l detector, and in his spare time he loved wandering around the property with it, looking for [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]llic meteorites. He’d found several over the years. He’d never told Violet about this odd hobby. He wondered if she liked rocks, too.
He finished his coffee and stretched. The cats sat watching him, puzzled at his change of routine.
“I couldn’t sleep. Don’t you have bad nights?” he asked them.
They blinked. For all the world, they seemed to be listening. Of course, they seemed to watch television, too. Obviously, his lack of sleep was playing tricks on his mind.
“I’m going to marry Violet,” he told them. “And there’s going to be a little tiny human being here in a few months. You’ll both have to adapt.”
They blinked again. But this time they looked at each other and then back at him.
He shook his head. He was doing it again, talking to the cats. Violet and the baby would be good for his mental health. Any day now, he was going to think the cats actually understood him.
He got up and went to the sink. Just as he put his coffee cup and plate under the running water, separate sets of teeth dug into separate ankles.
“Eyoowch!” he burst out, and started cursing.
The two cats moved quickly away, in different directions, with their ears back and their tails as rigid as flags. He rubbed the marks, glaring after them.
“I said, you’ll have to adapt and I meant it!” he yelled after them.
They walked faster.
He wasn’t going to tell Violet about this, he decided as he doctored the small incisions. She’d have him locked up before the wedding!

When Blake went to pick Violet up at Duke’s house for lunch, neither Duke nor his wife and son were around.
“Has she left?” he asked Violet covertly.
She shook her head. “They were stiff and polite at first. Now, they’re walking around each other like wrestlers looking for a good hold.”
He sighed as he tucked her hand into his and they headed toward his car. “I was afraid it might go like that. People don’t really change, you know,” he added thoughtfully. “They hide traits that bother potential mates, but bad habits always show up eventually.”
She stopped walking and looked up at him with twinkling eyes. “Do tell? And what hideous traits are you hiding from me?”
His own eyes twinkled. He bent down. “I’m a rock fanatic.”
Her eyebrows levered up. “You like rock music?”
He shook his head. “I like rocks. Meteorites. Fossils. Crystals. Right now, I’m keen on iron meteorites. I go out looking for them with a [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]l detector on weekends.”
She began to smile. “I’ve got a box of projectile points in my closet,” she said. “I picked them up on my grandfather’s farm when I was a little girl. Some are big and some are little. I don’t even know much about them, but I treasure them just the same. And I’ve got quartz crystals of all sorts, from amethyst to rose quartz…!”
He hugged her close, laughing. “Of all the coincidences,” he burst out.
She hugged him back. “I can see us now, hiking up a mountain with the baby in a backpack and a [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]l detector,” she chuckled.
He drew away so that he could see her face. “We’ll take turns carrying him,” he mused. “Or her.”
“He feels like a boy,” she said. “I don’t know why.”
He bent and kissed her nose tenderly. “We’ll love whatever we get. Maybe he’ll like rocks, too. And astronomy.”
He took her hand again and led her toward the car. He favored his left leg a little and winced as he moved.
“What’s wrong?” she asked immediately. “Did you hurt yourself?”
He paused by the passenger door of his car and studied her.
“Don’t you want to tell me?” she persisted when he hesitated.
“You might want me locked up when I tell you,” he mused.
“Be daring.”
He laughed. “I told the cats we were getting married and expecting an addition to the family. They looked at each other, and at me. One got on either side of me and they bit both ankles at once and flounced off in a huff.”
She didn’t say anything. She gave him an odd look.
He shrugged. “I told you you’d want me locked up.”
“Do they like tuna?”
He shook his head. “Salmon. They’re crazy for it.”
“I know where we can get some fresh salmon,” she murmured dryly.
He pursed his lips thoughtfully. “It might just work.”
“Let’s see!”
“First thing after lunch,” he promised, putting her in the car.

Chief Grier was in Barbara’s Café when they got there, sitting with a somber Leo Hart. They both looked up when Kemp walked in. Grier motioned to him. He left Violet in line to keep his place and paused by their booth.
“Something’s going on, I gather?” he asked.
“Something big,” Grier agreed. “Leo’s brother Simon got some news about Julie Merrill. Remember the drug lord who tried to set up shop here before I came to work on the force?”
“I do,” Blake replied. “He was bad news.”
“Well, a female drug lord has replaced him, and we think Julie Merrill is her lieutenant. I’ve been watching a house out of town on the Victoria road where drug smugglers had a hideout that the DEA busted. There’s some new activity. I think Julie’s involved, along with some prominent local politicians.”
Kemp whistled. “Got her in custody?”
“Chance would be a fine thing,” Grier replied. “She made bail and got out, but a couple of days later, she made bush bond.” In other words, Blake translated, she skipped town.
“If you need help tracking her down, I know a good P.I.”
Grier grinned. “Thanks. But I think my contacts are even better than yours. What I’d like to know from you is something that may be painful,” he added, and the smile faded.
“You want to know about Shannon Culbertson,” Blake said perceptibly. “Julie put something in her drink and she died. But I could never prove it. I tried, believe me!”
“If you have any notes on the case, I’d appreciate a look at them, if it isn’t a confidentiality matter,” he added.
“Not at this late date,” Blake replied solemnly. “Drop by my office in the morning and I’ll have them for you. I’d love nothing better than to see Julie Merrill in stripes.”
“That makes two of us,” Grier agreed. He glanced at Violet, who was looking at Blake with wide, soft, loving eyes. He grinned. “You’ve got good taste in women, I might say,” he told the other man.
“I do, don’t I?” Blake said complacently, smiling at Violet, who blushed.
“I hear she’s taking prenatal vitamins,” Grier murmured wickedly.
Blake didn’t fire from the hip. He actually laughed. “Abundantly,” he agreed, “or she goes to sleep in her plate.” He glanced from Grier to Leo Hart, who was also grinning. “You can both come to the wedding, if you’d like. We decided on the Methodist church. We’re announcing it in the paper. No time for invitations. Mrs. Hardy has loaded her shotgun and made significant threats.”
“As if that would matter to you,” Leo chuckled.
Blake smiled. “I never thought I’d get married, much less be a parent. But it all seems to be falling into place naturally.” He eyed Grier. “I hear you’re already taking Tippy’s brother fishing with you.”
“He’s quite a boy, Rory is,” Grier agreed. “I like having him around. I like having her around, too.”
“So?” Blake prompted.
Grier just shrugged. “We’re waiting for a major complication to resolve itself.”
“I heard the kidnapper was still on the loose,” Blake told him. “You don’t think he’d be crazy enough to show up here in town?”
Grier met his eyes evenly. “Without Tippy, there’s no case. Kidnapping is a federal offense. It means hard time. The guy is a professional contract killer. I don’t have any illusions about Tippy being safe just because she’s in my house. I sleep light these days.”
Blake nodded. “I hope it works out.”
“It will, one way or another,” Grier said grimly.
“What about your cats?” Leo asked curiously.
Blake blinked. “What?”
“We’ve heard some strange stories from people who visited you at home,” Leo replied with a chuckle. “They say most all of them came out running.”
“And bleeding,” Grier added wickedly.
“A few scratches here and there, that’s all.”
“Yes, but Violet will be living with them.”
“She has some ideas that involve fresh salmon,” Blake replied, grinning. “They do take bribes.”
“Good luck,” Grier said.
“Amen,” Leo added.
Blake just smiled and went back to Violet.

He told her on the way out of town about Julie Merrill jumping bail, and about the evidence Grier wanted to see.
She looked at him with soft compassion. “It’s hard for you to look back, isn’t it?” she asked gently. “Shannon meant a lot to you.”
He nodded solemnly. “She did.” His head turned toward her. “But the past is gone, Violet. I’ve made mistakes, trying to live in it. She was a kind woman. She wouldn’t have wanted me to be bitter.”
She smiled. “You were just hurt,” she said. “It takes a lot of time to get over losing people. I know. I still miss Daddy.”
“I miss both of my parents,” he said unexpectedly. “My father died when I was little. I took care of my mother all the way through school. She died of a stroke the week after I graduated from law school. Shannon was there, with food and comfort, kindness. I was almost out of my mind with grief already. Then, just a few months later, I lost Shannon, too.” He glanced at Violet. “I’ve been hiding, I suppose.”
“It isn’t hard to see why.” She leaned back against the seat. “Leo looks different.”
“He’s married,” he said, laughing. “He’s definitely mellowed. All the Hart boys have. It’s just amazing. I’d have bet real money that they’d end up crusty old bachelors.”
“They said the same thing about the Tremayne brothers,” she pointed out. “And look at them!”
He smiled. “Marc Brannon, Judd Dunn, there are two other bachelors I’d have bet on staying single.” He shook his head. “Now Cash Grier’s about to fall.”
“You think Tippy could settle down in a small town?” she asked, aghast.
“You’ve seen them together. What do you think?”
She sighed. “I think they’re crazy about each other, but neither of them is willing to admit it. She’s been through a lot, including the miscarriage. That must have been tough. What if the tabloids find out she’s here and start on her again?”
His eyes twinkled. “Oh, I think Cash can handle the press.”
“Matt Caldwell certainly did, they say, when a reporter targeted his Leslie some years ago, before they were married.”
“This is not a good place for outsiders if they ruffle feelings,” Blake reminded her.
“I’m glad. I like living here.” She sighed worriedly. “Blake, they won’t try to make some big news story out of Janet Collins when her trial comes up, will they? She poisoned Daddy and was suspected in still another murder in a nursing home. There aren’t that many women serial killers. What if the press comes in here and starts making snacks out of me and Mama?”
“Not a chance,” he promised.
His tone was curious. She glanced up at him. “Do you know something I don’t?” she asked slowly.
“Let’s just say, I’m working on something,” he replied. He stopped at the town’s only fish market and parked the car. “Fresh salmon,”
he said as he turned off the engine with a grin. “Let’s hope they take bribes!”

The cats were both sitting in the front window when the car drove up.
“That’s odd,” Blake remarked. “They never wait for me like that unless it’s grocery day.”
“Maybe they smell the salmon!” she teased.
He made a face. “Fat chance.”
Violet picked up the fish and they both went in the front door together.
“Hi, guys,” Violet said, wafting the brown-wrapped fish above their heads. “Hungry?”
They both started yowling, sounding for all the world like crying babies as they stood on their hind legs trying to swat the package out of her hands.
“That has to be a good sign,” Violet told him.
“We’ll see. Come on, girls,” he called to them, leading Violet through the living room and into the spacious kitchen. “I’ll get their bowls.”
He pulled them out of the dishwasher and settled them on the counter. Violet opened the brown package and split the salmon down the middle. The cats were all but climbing the cabinet.
“Here you go, babies,” she said softly, and put the fish down.
They both glanced at her with big blue eyes, but only for a minute. They started eating and growling at the same time, determined that each was going to get her own fair share without having her bowl raided.
Blake and Violet moved away while they ate, watching them. It didn’t take long. The cats licked their bowls clean and then started bathing themselves. They ignored the humans completely.
“Ungrateful wretches.” Blake laughed. He picked up the bowls and put them in the sink, shaking his head.
But Violet had more confidence than before, and she squatted down next to them on the floor. “Beautiful babies,” she said softly, smiling. “I’ll make sure you have salmon any time you want it.”
They stopped bathing and looked at her with those piercing blue eyes.
“Honest,” she added.
Mee called to her, got up, and rubbed against her knees. Yow blinked, hesitated, then moved closer, too, but stopped at one brief head-butt against her thigh.
She looked up at Blake. “It’s a start,” she said optimistically.
He grinned from ear to ear.

They went together to Libby Collins’s wedding. She married Jordan Powell in a beautiful church service, with most of the leading citizens of Jacobsville for witnesses. As her brother Curt led her down the aisle, she glanced at Violet, sitting so close beside Blake Kemp, and grinned. They grinned back.
It was a nice ceremony, brief but poignant, and a reception was held afterwards in Barbara’s Café. Tippy and Cash waved to them from across the room. So did the Ballengers. Calhoun was euphoric after having soundly beaten old Senator Merrill for the Democratic nomination for state senate in his district. His wife, Abby, was there, too, clinging to her husband’s arm. After three children, all boys, they were still very close. Justin Ballenger attended as well, with his [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]by. Like Calhoun and Abby, they had three sons of their own. [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]by was a direct descendant of Big John Jacobs, who’d founded Jacobsville and Jacobs County.
Violet had felt uncomfortable around all the bigwigs at first, but she learned very quickly that they were just ordinary people, and they didn’t put on airs. She liked them. It wasn’t going to be hard to fit in here.
But she worried about the case against Janet Collins. There was DNA evidence, of course, but there were ways a good defense attorney could twist the truth. She didn’t want the woman to get away with what she’d done to Violet’s father.
Blake noticed her distracted expression. “Cheer up,” he whispered. “People will think it’s a wake instead of a wedding!”
She moved, and smiled up at him, clutching her small cup of punch. “Sorry. I was thinking about Mrs. Collins.”
He moved closer, tilting her chin up to his blue gray eyes. “Let me worry about it,” he said softly. “I promise you, she’s not going to get away with it.”
She sighed. “Okay, boss man,” she said. She stood on tiptoe and touched her lips to his hard mouth. “Whatever you say.”
He smiled, pulling her close to kiss her back, very emphatically. When he drew away he was aware of a faint silence around them.
He looked around and discovered that everyone was watching them instead of the newlyweds.
“Better get a ring on her finger by sundown,” Cash Grier whispered as he walked by. “Or you may be the next tabloid centerpiece.”
Blake grinned at him. “The wedding’s next week,” he told the police chief. “You’re invited.”
“I’ll bring my whole department,” Cash promised.
Blake’s eyebrows arched. “All of it?”
Cash nodded thoughtfully. “And I’ll have something very nice planned for your wedding day,” he added.
Marc Brannon overheard him and drew his very pregnant wife, Josie, closer. “Run for the border,” he advised Blake and Violet. “He was waiting for us at my ranch after our wedding, with half the county law enforcement personnel, and I had to threaten him with a shotgun to get rid of him!”
Grier glared at him. “I did not have half of them.” He shifted. “Some people I called refused to come. They didn’t want to impose on newlyweds, can you believe that?”
“We’re leaving town right after our wedding,” Blake promised Violet at once.
Grier really glared then, at Blake and the Brannons. “Hmmmph!” he muttered. “Some people have no sense of humor.”
“Some people have no sense of privacy,” Marc shot right back.
Grier glanced at Josie and grinned. “Didn’t I warn you about him?” he pointed at Marc. “And you didn’t listen!”
Josie leaned closer to her husband’s tall frame. “Oh, he’s not so bad,” she said complacently. “In fact, neither are you,” she added to Cash, “despite your far-reaching reputation.”
“What reputation?” Tippy Moore asked with a soft laugh as she walked to Cash and was gathered against him gently. “He’s as pure as the driven snow,” she drawled with a mischievous flash of green eyes.
Cash bent and kissed the tip of her nose. “Pest.”
She smiled back at him and it was like fireworks. “And I planned to make you beef Stroganoff tonight,” she said. “But here you are calling me names…”
“Nice pest,” Cash qualified.
She shrugged. “Okay. I guess I can live with that. Good to see you,” she added to the others as she let Cash lead her away to the punch. She still had plenty of cuts on her pretty face, and some bruises, and she was a little shaky. But what she’d lived through in New York had gained her a lot of sympathy around Jacobsville. It was pretty much an open secret how Cash felt about her, and vice versa.
“There goes a prospective bride and groom, or I miss my guess,” Marc Brannon mused.
“Same here,” Blake replied. He curled Violet’s fingers into his. “I suppose it’s contagious,” he added, looking warmly into her eyes.
“What about your cat harem?” Marc asked.
“They take bribes,” Violet said before Blake could speak. “Fresh salmon.”
“Way to go, Violet,” Josie chuckled. “Leave it to a woman to find a way around a difficult situation.”
“She’d know,” Marc replied, smiling at his wife. “She’s just joined the local D.A.’s office as a prosecutor. After the baby comes, that is.”
“What do you want?” Blake asked curiously.
“Well, we already have a little boy. I’d love a daughter next. But we’ll settle for whatever we get,” Josie said warmly, smiling up at her husband, who readily agreed. “I can hardly wait.”
Blake looked down at Violet with a softness in his eyes that made her heart float. “Neither can I,” he said gently.
Violet blushed scarlet and nuzzled her cheek against his chest.
“We’re expecting, too,” Blake told the Brannons with a quiet smile. “It’s going to be a wonderful year.”
“You can say that again,” Marc replied. “Congratulations.”
“You, too.”
Violet closed her eyes as the conversation drifted away. She wondered if she could die of happiness.

Twelve
Violet was nervously waiting in the hall for the organ to sound. Her mother was in the front pew. Half of Jacobsville was seated in the rest of the pews. She noticed that big Cag Hart was acting as best man for her husband-to-be. She had nobody to give her away. But it was something of an archaic custom, she tried to remind herself. She wasn’t being given or sold to any man, regardless of how much she loved him.
She plucked nervously at the waistline of her beautiful white satin gown, hoping the slight swell didn’t show too much. It wouldn’t matter a lot. Most people already knew she was pregnant. She smiled. She and Blake would love their child. She had no more doubts about him, or herself. It would work out.
The organ sounded and she jerked her mind back to the occasion, tightening her grip on her bouquet of baby’s breath, white roses, and lily of the valley. She took a deep breath and stepped out on her right foot, just as a big, gentle hand caught her left hand and tucked it into his elbow.
She looked up, startled, into twinkling green eyes.
“I’m not quite old enough to be your father,” Cy Parks said in a loud whisper, “but Blake said you wouldn’t mind.”
She grinned up at him. “I won’t mind at all, Mr. Parks. Thank you!”
“That’s okay. You can do the same for me one day,” he said, tongue-in-cheek.
She started giggling and only stopped when “The Wedding March” was belted out on the piano.
“Straight faces, now,” Cy murmured.
“You bet!” she agreed.
They walked down the aisle, to where Blake was waiting with his heart in his eyes when he saw Violet in that vision of white lace and satin, the veil delicately covering her pretty face. He thought his heart might burst.
The ceremony was brief, poignant, and unforgettable. Blake lifted the veil to kiss his bride, and Violet’s blue eyes brimmed over with tears as she returned the kiss with pure joy.
They walked out of the church into a soft rain of congratulations, confetti and rice.
“The rice is for fertility,” Libby Collins whispered loudly.
“It worked!” Blake exclaimed in a stage whisper, with wicked eyes.
Violet whacked him with her bouquet and winked at Libby.
They climbed into the waiting limousine and sped away to Blake’s house, to change clothes before the reception.

“What a good thing the reception isn’t for another hour,” Blake groaned as he kissed Violet hungrily in the big king-size bed.
“And you think we’ll still make it in time? Optimist!” Violet panted, lifting up to the hard, measured thrust of his body.
He laughed, but the sensations caught him unaware and he arched, groaning with pleasure so deep it felt like pain.
Violet went with him, flying up into the sky like a rocket, exploding in sudden, fierce delight.
He increased the rhythm, and the pressure, and seconds later, he was right there with her, burning up in a fiery satisfaction that was vaguely shocking in its length. It seemed to go on forever.
When he was finally able to breathe again, he was wet with sweat and shaking all over. So was Violet.
“Wow,” she whispered reverently as she met his eyes.
He nodded, bending to kiss her delicately. “See what a week of abstinence does to a normal man?” he murmured against her swollen lips.
“Want me to lock the bedroom door for a week to make it better…?” She jumped and cried out as he pinched her bottom.
He wrinkled his nose at her. “You lock it, I’ll break it down,” he challenged. “I hate abstinence!”
She wreathed her arms around his neck and smiled *******edly, although her heartbeat was still shaking her. She was wet with sweat, too, and working just to breathe.
“It’s better every time,” she said, dazed.
“I improve with practice,” he informed her.
She grinned and slid her legs around his. “Do you, really? Let’s see…!”

They knew the party was already underway before they got out of the shower. They dressed quickly in the clothing they’d laid out for the reception, a lacy pink dress for Violet and slacks with a white shirt, tie, and sports coat for Blake.
They were barely dressed, still smiling at each other in a daze of pleasure, when there was a loud rap on the front door.
They stared at each other. “Are we expecting anybody?” Blake asked curiously.
“I don’t think so.”
They went together to the front door and opened it.
Outside was most of the Jacobsville Police Department, with Chief Cash Grier, in uniform, leading the rest. He had a paper in his hand and he was grinning mischievously.
“Lady and gentleman,” he began, “your friends in the Jacobsville Police Department would like to congratulate you on your recent nuptials and remind you that if you are ever in need of assistance, we are only as far away as your telephone. We have…”
“I’ll call the governor!” Blake began, interrupting the speech.
Grier glared at him. “I have six pages to go.”
“I have ten pages,” Assistant Chief Judd Dunn announced, displaying them.
“I have a loaded shotgun,” Blake told him.
Judd and Cash looked at each other speculatively. “How many years could he get if he pointed it at us?” Judd wondered aloud.
“That wouldn’t be nice, on his wedding day,” Cash agreed, but he gave Blake a rakish grin.
Blake’s eyes narrowed. “Trespassing on private property,” he began, “creating a public nuisance, terroristic threats and acts…”
“I am not a terrorist!” Cash informed him.
“But you are a public nuisance,” Judd told Cash.
“Me?” Cash exclaimed.
Officer Dana Hall cleared her throat and elbowed both superior officers out of her way. She was holding a cake.
“This is the wedding cake from the reception,” she told them, giving it to Violet. “I’m really sorry, but it was all we were able to save.”
Violet was staring at her blankly.
Officer Hall cleared her throat. “Somebody spiked the punch. Harden and Evan Tremayne drank it before they realized. One of the local cattlemen also drank some and made a very loud, unpleasant remark about lunatics who raised organic cattle just as Cy Parks walked in with J. D. Langley.”
Cash cleared his throat. “Judd and I had to, sort of, shut down your wedding reception and lock up a few of your guests. But we saved your cake. There was some punch, too, but Officer Palmer there,” he noted a tall, handsome blond officer with odd-colored highlights in his hair, “is wearing it.”
Blake burst out laughing. Only in Jacobsville, he was thinking.
“Anyway, you’re leaving right away on your honeymoon, right?” Judd asked them. “So you can get all the sandwiches and punch you want where you’re going.”
“Your jail is full, I guess?” Violet teased.
“Uh, yes it is, and he—” Cash indicated Blake “—represents Cy Parks and the Tremaynes. They want him to come down and get them out.”
“That explains the cake,” Blake told Violet.
She grinned at him. “We can detour through town on the way to the airport, can’t we? After all, Mr. Parks did give me away.”
“Good point.” He sighed. “Okay, tell them I’m on the way. And, thanks for the cake.”
“And the punch,” Violet said with a glance at Palmer, who grinned back.
The police force got into its cars and left. Violet put the cake in the freezer. The house was quiet without Mee and Yow, who were being boarded for the honeymoon. Mrs. Hardy was staying at her house with a nurse.
“Would you like your wedding present now?” Blake asked as they were turning off the lights.
She turned and looked at him. “What is it?” she asked, surprised.
He pulled her close and kissed her. “Janet Collins cut a deal with the San Antonio D.A. She pled guilty for a reduced sentence, so there won’t be a trial. You and your mother won’t have the stress of a court trial.”
“Oh, Blake!” She kissed him hungrily. “You had something to do with that, didn’t you?”
He nodded, smiling. “I’ve been working on it for two weeks. It came through yesterday. I saved the news for today.”
“Thank you,” she said, and meant it fervently. She’d dreaded the idea of dredging the painful episode in public.
“I have to take care of my best girl,” he whispered. “And the mother of my child.” His big hand rested softly on her slightly swollen belly. “You were the most beautiful bride who ever walked down an aisle.”
“And you were the handsomest groom.” She kissed him back. “Well, shall we go and rescue some prominent local citizens on our way out of town?”
“Works for me,” he chuckled.
They walked to the car hand in hand.
“Today is the first day of the rest of our lives,” Blake mused.
“The rest of those days will be wonderful,” she said softly.
They were.

THE END!!

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ nargis  
ÞÏíã 30-08-07, 02:29 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 18
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÞÏã

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Jul 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 9031
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 573