ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
nargis ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : nargis ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter Five

Violet folded her hands in front of her, self-consciously. “I really like your house,” she said, for something to break the silence.
He smiled. “I’m glad.”
“I like the cats, too. In spite of everything,” she added. “It’s only a scratch.”
He glowered toward the doorway, where Yow was looking in again. Mee was still twirling around Violet’s ankles. “We’ll have to work on Yow’s social skills. Maybe she lacks proper company. I might buy her a dog.”
“You wouldn’t!” Violet exclaimed, laughing.
He gave her a wicked look. “A big, ugly dog with a bad attitude,” he added.
“You’d turn up in court as a defendant.”
“Not unless Yow can afford legal representation,” he assured her.
She laughed. It was amazing how carefree she felt with him, a man who’d intimidated her from their very first meeting when she’d worked for him. He was another man entirely away from the office.
“Well, there’s still cake,” he pointed out. “We’d better get it while we can, before Yow tries again.”
“What kind is it?” she asked as she seated herself at the table again.
“Pound cake. It’s the only cake I can do myself.”
“My favorite kind, too. I can make a layer cake, but I like these better.”
He put a slice on a plate, and a fork, in front of her. “More coffee?”
“Please,” she replied.
He poured more coffee and they settled down with their cake, but she noticed that Blake kept a careful eye on the doorway in case Yow made another appearance.

He wouldn’t let her help with the dishes, insisting that he could do them later. Instead, he walked her out onto the porch and settled her beside him in the porch swing.
“I love this,” she said. “We used to have a porch swing, before we lost everything,” she mused. “I loved sitting in it, especially in the spring and summer. We had a big yard with pecan trees and a mesquite tree, and Mama had a flower garden, very much like yours.”
He slid his arm behind her head and curled his long fingers comfortably into her hair. “It must be hard for both of you.”
“We’re getting by,” she said softly. “I don’t really mind. I’m just sorry about Daddy, and how he died.” She looked up at him. “You haven’t heard anything about the autopsy yet?”
“Maybe next week,” he replied. “I’ll tell you the minute I know for sure. Then we’ll both break it to your mother.”
“That’s very kind of you,” she said.
He bent and touched his lips to her forehead. “I’m a kind man,” he murmured, laughing softly. “I don’t even kick cats when they deserve it.”
She smiled back, leaning closer. She loved being near him, feeling his breath on her face, his fingers in her hair.
Blake was amazed at how receptive she was to his advances, how hungrily she met them. He hadn’t analyzed his feelings for Violet. He wasn’t going to. Not yet. But she kindled fires in his blood that he hadn’t felt since Shannon Culbertson’s death.
Shannon. His eyes grew dark and quiet as he stared over Violet’s head and memories flooded in on him. He’d loved her. He’d given his heart completely, recklessly, without any thought for the future. Shannon had died, and his life had shattered overnight. He remembered that headlong passion with faint apprehension. It was dangerous to love. Very dangerous.
Violet didn’t know what he was thinking, but she felt a sudden remoteness from him. She noticed that he was staring into space, thinking. Perhaps he was having second thoughts about the direction their relationship was taking. Was he sorry that he’d kissed her?
He felt her intent stare. He turned his head and looked down into her eyes, searching them slowly. The look was more intimate than a kiss. His body began to swell from the intensity of it.
“Is something wrong?” she asked after a minute.
His fingers touched her chin, drawing it up. “I have cold feet.”
“I don’t understand.”
He drew in a long breath. “It’s too quick, Violet,” he murmured, looking at her. “I’m not sure I’m ready for this.”
“For feeding me trout?” she asked, wide-eyed.
He shook his head. “No. For…this.”
He bent and kissed her, very gently. He lifted his head. “I like kissing you.”
She smiled slowly. “I like kissing you, too.”
“To what end?”
She blinked. “Excuse me?”
“I don’t want to get married,” he said bluntly.
She felt all at sea, confused and uncertain.
He stared down into her wide eyes. She looked miserable and he felt confused. “Forget it,” he murmured, dropping his stare to her soft eyes. “I’m just talking. I don’t even know what I’m talking about.”
“I know about her,” she blurted out.
He scowled. “Her?”
“Shannon Culbertson,” she said, averting her gaze to the budding rosebushes. “I’m sorry it happened like that. It must have been devastating for you.”
He couldn’t think of another single person he wouldn’t have cursed for mentioning her name. But it didn’t feel at all uncomfortable to discuss Shannon with Violet. She had a tender heart. He ached for comfort. He’d never had it.
“She was beautiful,” he replied. “Young and full of fun and promise. I loved her until she was an obsession. I didn’t think I could go on living when she died.”
“But you did,” she replied. “You’re stronger than you realize.”
“You have an odd effect on me,” he murmured.
“What sort?” she asked, studying him.
One shoulder lifted and fell. His eyes went back to the landscape as he rocked the swing lazily into motion. “I don’t talk about her. I haven’t in years.”
She sighed and rested her head on his shoulder, staring across his broad chest toward the distant highway. “You can’t bury the past,” she said absently. “It affects everything we do, everything we are.”
He frowned. “Did you lose someone?”
She laughed. “Me? When I was in high school, I weighed even more than I do now. My parents sent me to a private school because they thought I might not get picked on as much. But I did. There are always the beautiful people who feel privileged to comment on the less fortunate. I hated school.”
“I thought schools were cracking down on bullies.”
“If they crack down very hard, they tend to get sued,” she pointed out, with a speaking look in his direction.
He chuckled. “I don’t take frivolous lawsuits,” he reminded her.
“Plenty of other lawyers do. Then they get huge awards, which they keep the lion’s share of. Then insurance, and everything else goes sky high.”
He scowled. “Well, you have got a point.”
“I make up in intelligence for what I lack in looks,” she murmured.
He tilted her face up to his and searched her blue, blue eyes. “Violet,” he said softly, “there’s nothing wrong with the way you look. I had a bad morning and I took it out on you that day. I’ve been trying to find a way to apologize every since. You look like a woman should.”
She studied him with big, curious eyes. He was very handsome. She was fascinated by the way he was looking at her, as if he really did find her enchanting. She smiled slowly.
“Ahh,” he cautioned in a husky tone. “Looking at me like that will get you into trouble.”
“It will?” she asked hopefully.
The humor went right by him. His eyes had dropped to her full, soft mouth and he was feeling a surge of hunger. Some tiny voice was urging caution. He ignored it and pulled Violet closer. His hard mouth curved down against her soft one, teasing lightly until she relaxed and leaned against his chest. His long fingers slid into her thick, soft hair, and tugged her head farther back on his broad shoulder.
His fingers were at her nape, teasing, tracing, while his mouth slowly penetrated the tight line of her lips.
She stiffened, but he persisted. When she still wouldn’t give him what he wanted, his lean hand slid right over her full breast and contracted gently with the nipple trapped between his thumb and his hand. She gasped and shivered, giving him access to the dark inner softness of her mouth. She felt his tongue slide sensuously inside and a curious swelling sensation overtook her body.
His hand became insistent on her breast, searching for buttons. He made an opening and his fingers slid inside it, right onto the warm silkiness of her bare skin. She moaned huskily. Her arms reached up and enclosed his neck while she gave in to the unreality of being in his arms, being desired by him.
The kiss became passionate, demanding. She moaned again. Vaguely, she felt him pulling her up. He bent and lifted her, his mouth still enclosing her yielded, hungry lips. He carried her into the house, kicking the door shut behind him.
He started toward the bedroom, but his body was in agony. Too many years of abstinence had left him powerless with Violet’s mouth promising heaven. He made it to the living room and slid her onto the sofa, but there wasn’t really room for both of them on it. She was as hungry as he was, and their restless movements landed them on the carpet between the sofa and the coffee table.
He started to lift his head, but she pulled his mouth back over hers. The sensations were like waves of pleasure that rocked her in his hard arms, and she didn’t want them to stop. She didn’t want him to stop. She’d never felt such physical delight in all her life, and she wasn’t willing to give it up just yet.
Blake was feeling something similar. It had been a long time since he’d had such a willing, hungry partner. Even Shannon, although she loved him, had been receptive but not eager when he made love to her. Violet was different. She tasted of honey. He loved the feel of her mouth under his. He loved the feverish response of her body to his lightest touch. He loved the soft little noises she made, the tiny gasps that pulsed rhythmically out of her throat as his caresses became quickly more intimate.
She felt cool air on her breasts and opened her eyes just a breath. Her clothes were open all the way down the front, and her bra was unhooked. His eyes were a darkened, passionate blue as they caressed her bare breasts, feeding on their ample curves and the taut mauve rise of her nipples. He bent, his mouth opening as he eased down beside her again and took her into his mouth.
She arched completely off the floor, sobbing. “Yes,” she choked. “Yes!”
What little control he’d had left was gone at once. She was as hungry as he was. He didn’t think about afterward. He was too far gone to care about tomorrow. There was only the painful need that stretched his powerful body like rope over her rippling, soft body. Years of abstinence took control of his will.
His hands were deft and efficient. Within seconds, the barriers were all gone, and his mouth was moving hungrily over Violet’s soft belly, down to the inside of her thighs.
While he kissed her, he touched her, in ways and places she’d only read about. She hadn’t dreamed that the sensations would be so overwhelming. When the first ripples of ecstasy worked their way down her aching body, she was far beyond any sort of protest. She loved him. He wanted her. She was becoming a woman, truly a woman, for the first time. She wanted nothing more than to go on being kissed and touched and caressed to madness in his arms.
Somehow, it never occurred to her that the first time might be uncomfortable; or that he might not know it was her first time. Most women were experienced by the time they reached Violet’s age. But Violet was a late bloomer.
She felt the sudden penetration with a hungry delight that turned quite suddenly to discomfort, and then pain. She stiffened and gasped, her nails digging into his back.
Shivering with desire, he managed to lift his head and look into her wide, shocked eyes.
He felt the barrier. Why hadn’t he realized how difficult this might be? Because he was out of his mind with desire, that was why. And he couldn’t stop. He couldn’t…!
His knee pressed her legs wide apart, despite her silent protests, and his hand went quickly between them. He watched her face the whole time, watched fear and pain slowly give way to sharp pleasure.
Her nails bit into his back again, but not in pain this time. She was shuddering rhythmically with every sharp, deep downward movement of his hips. Her legs widened without any more coaxing. Her hips arched up to meet his. And still he held her eyes, watching her as he took her.
It was the most erotic experience of his entire life. Despite his experience, and he had some, it was new territory for him. He had inhibitions as surely as Violet had. Most of his encounters had been in dark rooms, at night. It was the first time he’d gone this far in broad daylight, and that was as erotic as the sight of Violet’s pink nudity under him on the carpet. He began to shiver with each rough movement as he found his way ever deeper into her soft body.
“I’ve never done this…in broad daylight. And I’ve never watched, Violet,” he bit off, his deep voice strained as he looked into her blue eyes.
She swallowed, hard. Her lips were parted on gasping breaths as the pleasure built and began to funnel up in her. She stared into his eyes, shivering, climbing some invisible ladder of pleasure toward what felt like an unbearable goal.
“I’ve…never,” she choked.
His jaw clenched as the pleasure began to bite into him. “I know,” he groaned harshly. His eyes closed on a wave of ecstasy that arched him above her, his hips pinning hers violently as he drove for fulfillment. “God…I can’t…stop!” he moaned.
Violet’s knees drew up on either side of him, enhancing the madness of delight. She arched again and again, her eyes wide, her mouth wide, as she looked into his eyes. They were almost black with desire.
“I feel you,” she whispered brokenly. “I feel you…in me!”
The anguish tripled at the erotic little whisper. His body ground hers into the carpet with violent, urgent motions that were more desperate than experienced. Her back was going to be raw, he thought in one last burst of sanity. Then he felt her convulse under him and cry out, and contract around him. He exploded, his eyes closed, his body helplessly impaling her in one last furious down ward movement that lifted him to a level of climax he’d never known.
Violet felt him, tasted him, bonded with him in that space of seconds. The pleasure slowly fell to bearable levels and she wanted to weep, because it was so exquisite, and so very brief. She looked at him while he gave in to his own need, her eyes hungry on the length of his body, rippling muscle and thick hair on his chest, down to the flat stomach that was pressed so close to hers, to the long, powerful legs lying between her white thighs.
It should have been embarrassing, to see them like that. But she was only fascinated by the newness of intimacy.
She looked back up to see his face clenched, damp with sweat, as he slowly came back to himself. His eyes opened, dark, somber, sated.
She reached up and touched his mouth. She felt his body shivering in the aftermath, as hers was. He looked…shattered.
He collapsed on her, his forearms catching most of his formidable weight. His face pulsed at her throat, damp and sucking at breath. He shuddered. Her arms slid around him, cradling him. She felt him against every inch of her. She felt him, still inside her, still pulsing softly.
“Gosh,” she whispered, awed. Her legs curved around the back of his and her body lifted in soft entreaty.
“Optimist,” he murmured.
She laughed softly. She knew what he meant. Men spent themselves, and then it took a long time before they were capable again. She’d never indulged, but she’d heard other women talk.
“When I felt you stiffen, I could have shot myself,” he said at her ear. “I lost it. I knew you were a virgin, and I still couldn’t stop.”
Her hands smoothed his dark, wavy hair. She looked up at the ceiling, vaguely aware of the cats moving around the room, of a breeze fluttering the curtains, of a distant car passing on the highway on the horizon. She’d never been so close to another human being. She knew, finally, what it was to be a woman. She’d never dreamed that it would be Blake who taught her how to make love.
He drew in a long breath and rolled over onto his back, bringing her over him so that he could look up into her wide blue eyes.
His hand went between them and came up with a faint trace of blood.
She blushed.
He searched her eyes for a long time. “I didn’t have the presence of mind to think about protection, either.”
She didn’t know what to say. She was still halfway in and halfway out of a new reality.
His hands slid down her body to her wide, soft hips. “Lift up,” he murmured sensuously.
She did, curious, until she saw his eyes go hungrily to her breasts. His hands slid up to them, cupping them softly. He eased her onto her back and his mouth made a meal of them, kissing and tasting until she rippled all over with renewed desire.
He groaned as his body responded with renewed arousal and sudden urgency. “Are you sore?” he asked roughly.
“I…well, I don’t…ouch!” she gasped when he touched her where the tissues were torn from their first intimacy.
He ground his teeth together. “Sorry,” he whispered.
She could feel how hungry he was. “You can,” she whispered back. “It’s okay.”
He felt those words to the soles of his feet. She would have let him, despite the pain. It humbled him to know that.
He bent to her mouth and kissed her softly, with exquisite tenderness. She tugged at his hips, but he didn’t respond.
“No,” he said softly, and he smiled at her. “Not unless you can take as much pleasure from my body as I take from yours.”
She was fascinated by the reply.
He kissed her again, very softly, and then rolled away from her. He tugged his clothes back on and stood up to finish the fastenings. He looked down at her as she pulled her discarded dress against her breasts and stared at him confusedly.
“I’ll make some coffee,” he said quietly, aware of her sudden embarrassment. “Then we’ll talk.”
He walked away. She struggled quickly back into her things, noting the curious stares of the twin Siamese cats, who probably had never seen such confusing behavior from their resident human pet. It made her self-conscious.
By the time he came back with a tray, she was sitting on the couch feeling waves of embarrassment and shame.
He sat down beside her, fixed a cup of coffee the way he knew she liked it, and handed it to her. He saw the tears she was trying not to shed.
He reached over for a tissue from the box he kept by the lamp and wiped her eyes with a tenderness that said more than words.
“I haven’t had a woman for over two years,” he said bluntly. “I’m sorry. I lost control the minute I started kissing you.”
“It’s all right,” she choked, sipping coffee. “I didn’t exactly fight for my honor.” Tears started rolling again, staining her cheeks while she tried not to let him see how upset she was.
He took the coffee away from her, tugged her into his arms, and dragged her over into his lap. He held her while she cried, rocking her in the silence of the room. He felt satiated. His body was more relaxed than it had been in years. He felt young, vital, full of fire. He smiled at the difference a few torrid minutes had made in their tumultuous relationship.
“I’m sorry,” she choked. “I’m acting like a child.”
He kissed her wet eyelids. “First times are traumatic,” he murmured, drying her eyes again with the tissue.
“Was yours?” she asked, curious.
He laughed. “The first time I tried to have sex, I was seventeen. I was dating an older girl and we were in the back seat of my parents’ car at a country drive-in, one of the last few in Texas,” he recalled. “We were going at it hot and heavy when my zipper stuck.”
She stared at him, fascinated.
He laughed again. “I couldn’t get it to budge. I couldn’t get my jeans off with it zipped. And if I broke the zipper, I’d never have gotten past my mother to my room.” He shook his head. “She was experienced, and furious. She called me a clumsy fool and said she couldn’t imagine why girls went out with me. I took her home and never phoned her again. She didn’t know it was my first time, which was all that saved my pride.”
“I can’t imagine you being clumsy,” she said, fascinated by him.
He kissed the tip of her nose. “We all start somewhere,” he mused lazily. He traced around her soft mouth. “But you were my first virgin,” he whispered, holding her eyes.
Her lips parted. “I was?”
He nodded. He pushed back her disheveled hair. “I wasn’t sure I knew enough to spare you the pain.”
“You did, though,” she whispered, and averted her eyes, flushing.
He’d noticed. He felt ten feet tall. He knew that she’d climaxed, and not just the one time. He’d given her fulfillment, despite the rough beginning. It made him proud.
He cradled her close, wrapping her up in his arms with her face in his warm throat. He rocked her hungrily, his body still tingling with remembered pleasure. “I’d forgotten how it felt,” he whispered. “I suppose I’ve been half-alive, without knowing it.”
“So have I,” she replied drowsily. She curled closer into his powerful body.
He kissed her hair. “I’m sorry I made you sore,” he whispered. “It was unavoidable.”
“I know.”
He sat holding her for a long time, so *******ed that he didn’t realize how late it was getting until the automatic lights outside began to come on.
“Goodness,” she exclaimed when she noticed, sitting up on his lap. “I have to get home. Mama will be worried.” She stopped, aghast when she remembered her mother and her responsibilities. She remembered what she’d done with Kemp and she felt self-conscious and uncomfortable.
He knew that. He could see it in her expression. He didn’t know what to say to make things right.
“If anything happens, we’ll handle it,” he said softly. “Don’t beat yourself to death worrying. Okay?”
We’ll handle it. Did he mean he’d pay for a termination? She felt sick at her stomach. What in the world had she been thinking? She’d just had sex with her former boss and he wasn’t a marrying man. He wasn’t going to start hearing violins if she turned up pregnant. He was going to suggest a practical solution. But she wasn’t going to be able to agree with that. It just wasn’t possible.
“I can see the thoughts in your mind, Violet,” he said abruptly. “Let’s not face problems before they appear.”
She swallowed. “You’re right, of course.” She got to her feet unsteadily, and looked around as if she didn’t quite know where she was.
Kemp got up, too. “Do you want me to follow you home, just in case?” he asked.
She looked up. “In case of what?”
“You don’t drive at night much,” he said. He scowled. “There are drunks on the roads at night around here.”
“I won’t have any trouble,” she assured him.
“Except when it comes to living with what just happened,” he remarked.
She picked up her purse and sweater and turned to look at him. “What?”
He shoved his hands into his pockets. “You’re a Puritan, Violet,” he said somberly. “You weren’t a virgin by accident.”
She colored. “I don’t date much…”
He waved away the rest of the reply. “You’re in love with me. I’ve always known it. There isn’t any other reason that would make you give yourself to a man without marriage.”
She glared at him. She hated being so transparent.
He moved closer, taking her gently by the shoulders. “You’ll work for me until we find out, one way or another, if there are going to be any consequences.”
“I should never have…!”
He kissed her mouth closed. “We’re both human.” He searched her eyes. “I love the way you were with me,” he added huskily. “It was the most exciting encounter of my life, Violet. I think I could live on it, if I had to. You were…extraordinary.”
“I didn’t know anything,” she blurted out.
“Instinct must go a long way, then.” He bent and kissed her again. “Try not to be ashamed of something so beautiful,” he added quietly. “We have a lot in common. I think we’ll find even more, as we go along.”
He was saying something incredible. She stared up at him, fascinated.
“I was happy being alone until you came along and shook up my life,” he murmured absently, watching her closely. “I can’t go back.”
“You can’t?”
He brought her soft palm to his mouth and kissed it hungrily. “In a few days, I think we might go and look at rings,” he said hesitantly, and his high cheekbones took on a ruddy color.
“Rings?”
His thumb rubbed over her ring finger. “Rings.”
She couldn’t manage a single word.
His blue eyes were somber. “Today was a beginning. Not the end.”
Her lips parted as she studied him, with love radiating from her face. He saw it, and felt humbled by it. He’d never been with a woman who was so violently in love with him. He felt cosseted, valued, possessed.
He drew her against him, aware that he became aroused the instant he felt her soft breasts against his chest. That hadn’t happened even with Shannon, when he was much younger. Violet lit fires in his body.
“Feel that?” he whispered as he bent to her mouth. “You arouse me so much that it hurts.”
She opened her mouth when she felt his lips on it. He built the kiss, lifting her free of the floor in his embrace. “I would still let you,” she whispered.
“I know,” he whispered back. “You’re part of me now. I’m part of you. Kiss me…”
The kiss was long, hard, passionate. When he finally put her down, she was trembling.
“Go home,” he said firmly, leading her to the door with her purse in his hand.
“Throwing me out?” she teased.
He chuckled. “Saving you,” he murmured wickedly. “I need a cold shower.”
She touched his chest with her hand, dizzy and aching with new sensations, new joy. “I know you already know it,” she said softly. “But I love you.”
He traced her mouth with his fingertip. The words bit into him, made him feel guilty. He wanted her, but he didn’t feel that emotion for her. Not yet. He just smiled. “Drive carefully. Call me when you get home.”
He didn’t say it, but he had to feel something powerful for her, she was certain of it. She beamed. “Okay. Good night.”
“Good night, angel,” he said softly.
He watched her walk away with feelings of utter self-contempt. He’d taken advantage of what she felt for him, lost control and put her at risk. Now he had to stand by and wait to find out if she became pregnant, knowing that if she did, he’d be forced to marry her to save her reputation. It wasn’t the best night of his life, despite the lingering pleasure that reminded him of the afternoon.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ nargis  
ÞÏíã 30-08-07, 07:21 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 12
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Jun 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 6878
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 209
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: nargis ÚÖæ ÈÍÇÌå Çáì ÊÍÓíä æÖÚå
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 16

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSweden

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
nargis ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter Six

Violet managed to slip into her house without being seen by her mother. She was disheveled and her hair was a mess. Her mother wasn’t blind or stupid, she’d know that something torrid had been going on. To prevent any uncomfortable questions, Violet had called to her and then went straight to her room without letting herself be seen.
From there, she went to the kitchen, trying not to let her mind wander to the afternoon. Then she remembered that she’d promised to bring her mother some trout. She groaned inwardly. She heated her mother a bowl of soup and crackers for supper.
“I’m sorry about the trout,” she began. But she was beaming and she couldn’t help it.
Mrs. Hardy grinned. “Never mind that. Soup is fine. You’ve got feathers on your lips, my darling cat,” she chided. “So what’s going on with you and that dishy man?”
So much for deterring her mother’s suspicions. Violet blushed, grinning back. “The boss man is talking about rings.”
Her mother gasped. “Darling!”
Violet laughed. “Can you believe it? And we were fighting and giving each other fits just last week!”
“He didn’t really know you before, though,” the older woman pointed out as she sipped soup from a spoon. “You were too shy to be yourself with him.”
“I was,” Violet agreed, vaguely ashamed of what had happened, just the same.
“Did he mention a date?”
Violet shook her head. “We’re going to take it one day at a time,” she replied.
Mrs. Hardy only smiled. She knew that when couples got to the ring stage, weddings very often came quickly. “I’ve only ever wanted to live long enough to see you married and secure,” she said absently.
“You’d better be around longer than that,” Violet chided. “I can’t do without you!”
“Bosh,” the other woman murmured. “You’ve got your own life to live. I’m just about done with mine.”
“Don’t you talk like that,” her daughter chided. “You’re not nearly done. You have so much to look forward to!”
“Such as?” Mrs. Hardy asked, her eyes lackluster.
“Grandchildren!” she replied, and blushed again, because she could already be pregnant.
The older woman sat very still. “Grandchildren. Why…I hadn’t thought…” She glanced at Violet. “Does he want children, then?”
“Of course,” Violet said, smiling.
“He must have changed his mind,” Mrs. Hardy mused to herself.
Violet felt a sinking sensation. “What do you mean?”
“Oh, it’s just something he mentioned that day he came over to talk to me, dear,” she said, sipping more soup. “He said that he’d never have a child.”
Violet felt sick. “Did he?”
Her mother hadn’t noticed Violet’s sudden lack of color and enthusiasm. She was thinking. “Men often think like that, until they have a child. But he was rather emphatic about it, just the same.”
“I wonder why,” Violet murmured aloud, uncomfortable.
Her mother glanced at her worriedly. “You mustn’t let on that I told you,” she said.
“Told me what, Mother?”
Mrs. Hardy grimaced. “Mr. Kemp is a very upright man these days, but he was young and irresponsible once. I’d heard something about the Culbertson girl, from a nurse I know. I asked him about it. He was shocked enough to tell me the truth about her. She was pregnant when she died. It was his child. He hadn’t known about it, although he would have married her sooner if he had. The coroner covered up her pregnancy, to spare her parents the embarrassment. But it affected him terribly. He lost not only his fiancée, but his child as well. He said that just the thought of a child gave him nightmares now, brought it all back to haunt him.”
Violet sat down, hard. It was worse than she’d imagined. Blake didn’t want children. She’d pushed him off balance and they’d had unprotected sex. He was making the best of things, but he’d never said that he loved her and he’d intimated that if she turned up pregnant, they’d have to make arrangements. Could that mean that he didn’t want a child, ever, after what had happened with his fiancée?
She felt sick to her soul. What was she going to do?
“Dear, what’s wrong?” Mrs. Hardy asked with a frown.
Violet forced a smile. “Nothing. I shouldn’t be jealous of a dead woman, should I?” she added, leading her mother right into the false conclusion that she was thinking about Shannon.
Mrs. Hardy relaxed. “Yes, dear. You shouldn’t.”
Violet changed the subject. But she didn’t sleep very much that night. She was sick with worry. How could she have been so blind and stupid? She was going to pay a high price for her one hour of passion. She’d thought it was worth anything at the time. Now, she wasn’t so sure.

She went to work Monday morning with uncertain feelings. She dreaded and anticipated seeing Blake again, both at once. Duke Wright smiled at her as he put her to work on new herd records, and he looked as if he might have known something about her day at Blake Kemp’s house. But he didn’t say anything.
Curt did. He grinned at her as he paused beside her desk. “I hear you were out at Kemp’s place over the weekend,” he murmured.
She gasped. “How…?”
“Jacobsville is a small town,” he said pleasantly. “Kemp’s driveway faces a major highway. Your car would stick out in a parking lot.”
She grimaced. “I didn’t think about that.”
“Stop looking so tragic,” he said gently. “You’re both free and single. Nobody’s going to make snide remarks to either of you about spending an afternoon together. Is it true about the cats?” he added quickly.
“What…about the cats?”
“That they’re so jealous of Kemp that visitors can’t get near him,” he replied.
“They weren’t so bad,” she confided. “Well, I did sort of get scratched by one of them. But it was just a little scratch.”
“The rumor is that the more Kemp likes someone, the worse the cats are,” he told her. “In which case, you’d better wear body armor if you go over there very much.”
“Siamese do tend to be temperamental, I guess,” she said, wondering how many people had seen her car at Kemp’s house.
“We had a dog once that hated Libby’s boyfriend, when she was about fourteen,” he recalled. “The dog sat and growled at him the whole time he was in the house. Then one day the boy brought him a beef bone. The next time he came over, the dog met him at the door and licked him half to death.”
She pursed her lips and smiled mischievously. “I wonder if Siamese like beef bones?”
He chuckled and went on out to work.

Violet had halfway hoped that she might hear from Blake during the day. After all, they’d been lovers. But he didn’t call. It was a disappointment, and her self-confidence took a nosedive. All her hopes began to drown in doubt. She went through her normal routine, answering the phone and taking messages, and typing letters for Duke Wright after he dictated them. It was a normal day. Nothing out of the ordinary. She could have cried.
Once, she almost picked up the phone and called his office. But that would never do. She couldn’t look as if she were chasing him. Perhaps he just needed breathing space, in order to get used to the changed relationship between them. Surely, it was just that.
By the end of the day, she was feeling dismal. She wondered if perhaps Blake had phoned while she was briefly out of the office, because she had to run to town for Duke Wright and pick up a special delivery letter he was expecting, at the post office.
She had the opportunity to ask him as she gathered her purse and sweater to go home. He walked in with a sealed letter that needed a stamp.
“Could you drop that by the post office for me on your way home, Violet?” he asked.
“Certainly.” She put on the stamp and gave him a shy glance. “Uh, there weren’t any, uh, messages for me while I was gone earlier…?” she faltered.
He cocked an eyebrow and grinned. “From your ex-boss, you mean?”
She flushed. “Well…”
“There’s a hard case, if ever there was one,” he said. “You’re taking a chance, Violet. A big one.”
“Sir?”
“We all know you were out at his house,” he replied easily. “News travels like wildfire around here. We’ve heard that those cats don’t like company at all.”
“They’re sort of antagonistic,” she confessed, without mentioning her scratches.
“Kemp took another lawyer home for supper one day and the man had to go to the emergency room. He was allergic to cat scratches.”
She cleared her throat. “They are sort of possessive,” she replied. “But I’m no threat. We’re just friends,” Violet said firmly. “He wanted to introduce me to his cats.”
“That explains everything,” Duke mused, grinning. “It’s the cats who are interested in you, then?”
Curt Collins poked his head in the door, shamelessly eavesdropping. “And of course, Kemp loves his cats, so he brings home strangers that he thinks they’ll like,” he added.
“You two!” Violet exclaimed, laughing at the absurdity of it all. “I’m leaving. See you tomorrow.”
They said their goodbyes and watched her go out the door.
She knew what they meant about the cats.
Mr. Kemp was a notorious loner. He never took women to his house. If he was entertaining Violet on the weekend, something was going on. She knew it was all over town if even Duke Wright knew about her visit. She wondered if the gossip had gotten back to Blake and that’s why he hadn’t phoned her. Of course, he could be feeling regret at his loss of control as well. She was feeling something similar. Her only excuse was that she loved him. Sadly, she knew it wasn’t the same with him. Desire wasn’t love.

Violet spent a sleepless night worrying about her lapse of judgment at Kemp’s house, and his avoidance of her. She couldn’t forget what her mother had said, about his attitude toward children. She hoped with all her heart that there wouldn’t be consequences. Surely, she couldn’t get pregnant from one brief interlude!
She went to work the next morning and found Duke Wright making coffee. He glanced up when she came in the door, and smiled at her.
“I’ve got to be out of town today. Think you can hold the office together until I get back?”
“I’ll do my best, sir,” she promised.
“If Kemp shows up, you can have a long lunch hour,” he added with a grin. “But don’t let him know I said that.”
“He’s not a bad man.”
“You don’t have my perspective on him,” Duke replied quietly.
She was aware of that. Duke’s divorce had been a messy one, and he blamed Kemp for his wife’s unreasonable demands. She didn’t say a word.
He shrugged. “Sorry. I have bad memories. I’ll see you tomorrow, Violet.”
“Yes, sir,” she said. “Have a safe trip.”
“I hope to.”
She watched him walk out with a sense of foreboding. She couldn’t shake the feeling that something was going on.

And it was. Kemp walked into his office and motioned Libby Collins back down the hall with him.
He told her the results of the state crime lab’s autopsy on her father, which was negative.
She was relieved, and showed it.
“But the opposite was true of Violet’s father,” he said quietly. “Don’t tell her, and don’t tell Curt until I’ve had time to get out to Wright’s ranch. I’m going to tell Violet in person and then take her home and help her break the news to her mother. It’s going to be an ordeal for them. If we can catch Janet Collins, we’ll charge her with first degree murder. Violet and her mother will both have to testify, and it will resurrect some terrible memories for old Mrs. Hardy. I’m not sure her heart will take it.”
“What can be done?”
He shrugged. “The only thing I know is to try and reach a plea agreement, if I can talk the D.A. into it. If Janet can expect something less than life in prison, she might confess. I’ll have to see. Right now, my priority is to make sure Violet doesn’t hear it on the six o’clock news. There were reporters sniffing around this afternoon.”
“Poor Violet,” Libby said sadly. “Please, tell her if she needs me, I’ll be there.”
“I will. But I’m sure she knows it already. Hold down the fort for me.”
“You bet.”

All the way to Duke Wright’s place, Kemp worried about Violet’s reaction. He was still aching from their brief interlude, and he was uneasy about facing Violet again. She was a shy, introverted woman who’d had no real experience with men. He’d taken advantage of that. She might hate him for it. Just the same, he had to do what he could for her and her mother. It wasn’t going to be easy for either of them to face the fact that Mr. Hardy had been murdered.

Violet was just finishing the last of the new cattle herd files when she heard footsteps coming into her office.
She looked up, and her heart jumped wildly as she saw Blake Kemp for the first time since their passionate afternoon. She colored furiously as he came into the room and paused just in front of her desk. He looked very elegant in a pale gray vested suit, not a hair out of place. His blue eyes were quiet and sympathetic as they met hers.
“Is something wrong?” she asked at once, uneasy because of the way he looked.
“Yes, Violet,” he replied. “We have to speak to your mother. Will Wright let you leave early?”
“He’s not here today,” she faltered. She stood up. “What’s happened?”
“We just got the results back on your father’s autopsy. He was poisoned, Violet. It wasn’t a natural death. It was murder.”
Murder. Murder. She felt the blood draining out of her face. Janet Collins had killed her father.
“That woman,” she bit off. “That damned, greedy woman killed my father!”
He moved around the desk quickly and pulled her into his arms, wrapping her up tight. “It’s all right,” he murmured softly at her ear, contracting his arms when she began to shiver. “We’ll make her pay for it. I swear we will.”
She’d felt shock and then anger. Now she felt grief well up in her like water behind a dam. She’d loved her father, despite his faults. How in the world was her mother going to react to the news?
“It will kill Mama,” she choked, sliding her arms around Blake’s waist.
“No, it won’t,” he assured her. “She’s stronger than she looks. But I think you and I should both break the news to her.”
“Yes. Thank you,” she added belatedly.
He drew in a long breath. Odd, how right she felt in his arms. He’d ached for her for the past few days. This was like coming home.
She loved the comfort of his embrace. Except for her mother, she’d had little real affection in her life. It was wonderful to melt into his muscular body and let him absorb all her worries, all her fears. He made her feel secure, protected.
His hand smoothed over her hair, enjoying its softness.
Footsteps interrupted them. Curt came into the room, stopped dead, and started to go back out again, faintly embarrassed.
Blake saw him and released Violet. “She’s had some bad news,” he told the other man. “It will be all over town soon enough, so you might as well know now. Her father was poisoned.”
“By my stepmother?” Curt asked miserably.
Blake nodded. “Very probably.”
Curt grimaced. “Violet, I’m so sorry.”
She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. They felt swollen and hot. “It’s not your fault, Curt,” she said sadly. “You and Libby have suffered because of her, too. We’re all victims.”
“And we can’t find her,” Curt muttered angrily.
“We will,” Blake said firmly. “I swear we will.”
“Is there anything I can do?” Curt asked.
Violet shook her head. “But thanks anyway. We’re going to tell Mama. I hope it isn’t going to be too much for her.”
Blake smiled faintly as Violet went to gather up her things. “I think you’ll find that your mother is going to want vengeance more than sympathy when she knows the truth.”
Violet smiled. “I hope so,” she replied. “I really hope that’s how she’s going to feel.”
Blake turned to Curt. “I’m going to follow Violet home. If Wright calls, can you tell him what’s going on?”
“He left his foreman in charge,” Curt replied. “I’ll make sure he knows. There’s nothing that can’t wait until tomorrow. Violet, if you need anything, all you have to do is tell us. I know Libby would tell you the same thing.”
“Thanks, Curt,” she replied, managing a smile as she joined Blake. “I’m ready when you are,” she told him.
“Let’s go.” Blake stood aside to let her go out the door first.

Mrs. Hardy looked up expectantly, and with faint surprise, when she saw Blake come in the door with her daughter. Both of them wore somber expressions.
She was propped up on the sofa with pillows. She gave them a wise look. “You have the results of the autopsy,” she guessed. “That floozie poisoned my husband, didn’t she?” she added, eyes flashing. “I want her drawn and quartered!”
Blake smiled at Violet. “Didn’t I tell you?” he mused.
Violet nodded. “Yes, you did.” She put down her things and went to sit beside her mother on the sofa and pull her close. “We’re going to find her and send her away for years and years,” she promised her mother. “It’s just a matter of time and evidence.”
“Evidence being the key word,” Blake agreed. “Fortunately, the criminalists who processed the scene did a thorough job. They couldn’t rule out homicide, so they did a good job of collecting trace evidence. There’s more than enough for a DNA profile. If Janet was in that room, we’ll be able to prove it. There’s also an eyewitness who saw her come out of the room shortly before your husband was discovered,” he added.
“Yes, but we don’t know where she is,” Violet murmured.
“Oh, that’s just a minor detail,” Blake said carelessly. “I have a private detective tracking her. It’s just a matter of time.”
“You didn’t say anything about that,” Violet remarked.
“Finding Janet is essential to Libby and Curt. They’re fighting to keep their ranch, and it’s not going well,” he said grimly. “Janet has done everything in her power to take it away from them. She’s absconded with all the money and tied up their finances so that they can hardly pay bills. They need her found, and quickly. So do both of you,” he added. “The longer this drags on, the worse it’s going to get.”
“How can a human being be so cold?” Mrs. Hardy wondered out loud, her delicate features drawn as she spoke. “Money isn’t that important.”
“To some people it is,” Blake replied. “I’ve seen men go to prison for life because they stole less than twenty dollars. A thief doesn’t know how much money his victim is carrying, as a rule. Sometimes the victim resists, and dies, and the thief ends up with pocket change and a life sentence. Greed is its own punishment.”
“I hope Janet Collins gets hers,” Violet said quietly, hugging her mother. She glanced at Blake. “I suppose it will be in all the papers?”
“Undoubtedly,” he agreed. He moved into the living room and dropped down into a comfortable armchair. “Personal tragedies have become popular entertainment. We’ve reached an all-time low in journalistic ethics.”
“Where do you think Janet Collins went?” Mrs. Hardy asked abruptly.
Blake crossed his long legs and leaned back in the chair. “At a guess, somewhere close by. She won’t want to let go of the ranch. Libby and Curt have had some threats already, probably at her instigation.”
“I’m sorry they’re having such trouble,” Violet said. “Libby’s the best friend I have.”
“I won’t give up until Janet is found,” Blake assured her. “I’ve got one of the best private investigators in Texas on the job.”
Mrs. Hardy was dabbing at her eyes. Anger had given way to grief. “I wondered about the coroner’s report, saying that he had a heart attack,” she murmured aloud. “He’d had all sorts of tests, and there was no trace of heart trouble.”
“From what the medical examiner told me, the poison paralyzes the heart. Essentially, it stops it dead. Since no one suspected foul play, they didn’t bother with an autopsy. But I credit those investigators in San Antonio with doing a great job of evidence gathering. When we finally catch Janet, we’ll have enough to hang her.”
Violet hugged her mother. “It will be all right,” she said, although she didn’t really feel it.
“The newspapers will have a field day, won’t they?” Mrs. Hardy asked suddenly, her face contorted.
“We’ll get through it,” Violet assured her. “We’re tough, aren’t we?”
Mrs. Hardy hesitated, then she smiled. “Yes, dear. We’re tough.”
“We’ll find a way around the publicity,” Blake told them. “First things first. We have to find Janet.”
“Thank you for coming with Violet to give me the news, Blake,” Mrs. Hardy told him gently. “It made it easier.”
“I thought it might,” he said gently. “I’m sorry it turned out this way,” he added.
“So are we,” Violet replied. “But we don’t get to choose our obstacles, do we?”
“How true,” Mrs. Hardy murmured. She looked toward Blake. “Would you like to come to dinner?”
Violet flushed. She knew her mother was trying to play matchmaker, but she wished she hadn’t. She was uneasy around Blake. She didn’t know what he expected of her. She didn’t know how she should behave.
Blake saw her indecision and averted his gaze to Mrs. Hardy. “Thanks,” he said, “but I’ve got a lot of work to get through tonight for a client.” The client was Libby Collins, but he wasn’t going to discuss that with the women.
“Another time,” Mrs. Hardy suggested.
“Another time,” he agreed pleasantly. “I’d better get on the road. If you need me, call,” he told Violet firmly.
“Of course, we will,” she said without looking directly at him, and with a forced smile.
“My interim secretary is getting married,” he remarked. “You might consider coming back to work. Libby and Mabel miss you.”
Violet was surprised, because he hadn’t been in touch with her since their dinner. She didn’t even know that he’d hired an interim secretary. He sounded as if he wanted Violet to come back. But he didn’t look desperate.
On the other hand, she missed seeing him every day. It was a wrench to work for Duke Wright. It guaranteed that she wouldn’t see Blake on a regular basis at all. Today had been a rare event.
“Think about it, at least,” Blake added quietly.
“Yes,” she replied. “I certainly will.”
He studied her for a few seconds too long, his eyes narrow and intent. She might mistake his invitation for something romantic, but that wasn’t the case at all. He felt guilty for what he’d let happen at his house. Violet could be pregnant. He didn’t dare keep his distance until he knew for sure. The woman hadn’t a clue about relationships, and she’d be in a hell of a fix if she really had become pregnant.
He had to keep her close so that he’d know, whatever her condition turned out to be. If there was going to be a child…
He stopped the thought dead. He wouldn’t think about that consequence. He had to look on the bright side. He wasn’t ready for marriage and a family. He might never be. Certainly, Violet was hardly the sort of woman he envisioned marrying. She was sweet and kind, but she wasn’t assertive. There were divisions between them that she didn’t understand. He couldn’t hurt her by pointing them out.
He had to bide his time until he knew for sure if there was going to be a child. That wasn’t her fault, either. He’d seduced her, out of loneliness and aching hunger. He still felt the need for her. It was why he’d avoided her for the past couple of days. He’d hoped to get it under control.
But it wasn’t. He looked at her and he wanted her. His body was already as taut as drawn rope, just from looking at her. He knew instinctively that if he touched her, he wasn’t going to be able to pull away. The pleasure she’d given him was exquisite. He wanted it again. And he didn’t dare have it.
“Violet, why don’t you walk Blake out?” Mrs. Hardy suggested when there was a brief silence.
“I can find my way out,” Blake said without making a big thing of Violet’s hesitation. He even smiled. “Think about the job,” he suggested. “We make a good team…you and me and Libby and Mabel,” he added just when she thought he was talking about the two of them.
She nodded. “I will think about it,” she promised.
“I’ll be in touch,” he replied. He didn’t say goodbye. He simply left.
“See, dear, he misses you!” Mrs. Hardy exclaimed when they heard his car start up outside. “He wants you back! You’ll do it, won’t you?”
“I have to change clothes and get supper started,” she interrupted to halt her mother’s speculation. “What would you like? How about pancakes?”
“Pancakes? For supper?” the older woman exclaimed.
“Why not? We love pancakes!”
Mrs. Hardy smiled. “Then pancakes it is. And coffee.”
Coffee reminded Violet of Blake and made her sad. She’d lost her job over coffee. But she didn’t let it show. “Decaf for you,” she teased, and went to change her clothes.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ nargis  
ÞÏíã 30-08-07, 07:25 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 13
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSweden

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
nargis ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter Seven

Blake spent the weekend working, trying to keep his mind off Violet. Monday morning, his private investigator called with some good news for Libby and Curt Collins. Their father’s priceless coin collection had been located at a dealer’s shop in San Antonio. There were bankbooks. There was also a copy of a new will, about which Blake had some suspicions. Blake phoned the dealer and arranged to drive up the following morning early and collect the coins and the [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]s. He told the dealer that he’d have Libby phone him as soon as she came to work—she could vouch for the fact that Blake was her attorney and authorized to handle her inheritance.
He didn’t know if Janet Collins was aware of the coin collection’s whereabouts and he considered that he might need backup.
He phoned the chief of police’s office and talked to Cash Grier, who agreed to drive up with him. Grier would intimidate most people with evil intentions, Blake thought humorously, even without a firearm.
He told Libby about the trip and also asked her to go by Violet’s house that afternoon with a pizza and cheer the women up. He also suggested that it wouldn’t hurt for Libby to mention how badly they missed her in the office, and how short-handed they were since the interim secretary, Jessie, had given notice and quit. Libby laughingly agreed.

Libby was surprised at Violet’s new look and her nervousness when she stopped by Violet’s house after work. She’d known Violet for a long time. She’d never known her to be anything except calm and collected.
“Mr. Kemp asked me to tell you how much we’re missing you,” Libby said, tongue-in-cheek.
Violet laughed softly. “Are you really, or are you just short-handed because Jessie quit without finishing out her notice?”
Libby’s eyes widened. “How in the world did you know that?”
Violet chuckled. “Mrs. Landers who works at the newspaper office,” she replied. “She’s the best gossip we have, and she thought I’d like to know that poor Mr. Blake was short a secretary. She saw the baby shower announcement that Jessie brought in and Jessie mentioned that she was leaving the job early because Mr. Kemp was hopeful that his old secretary might come back if she knew how hard-pressed he was for help.”
“Well!” Libby exclaimed on a laugh, showing her the box of hot pizza. “It’s all true, of course. I brought you and Mrs. Hardy a pizza.”
“You can have some, too, Libby, since you were nice enough to bring it,” Violet said, hugging the other woman. “It was sweet of you. Mama and I have had a bad day.”
“Mr. Kemp told me about it,” Libby replied. “I’m so sorry.”
Violet shrugged. “We all have hard times. We’ll get through ours. It’s just that it’s brought back so many terrible memories.”
“All my stepmother’s fault,” Libby said coldly. “Curt and I would love to get our hands on her!”
“Take a number and get in line,” Violet mused with morbid humor.
“I see your point.”
“Come on into the kitchen, and I’ll find some plates. Mama, Libby’s here, and she brought a pizza,” she called to her mother in the living room.
“Hello, Libby,” Mrs. Hardy called back. “That was sweet of you!”
“That’s just what I said, Mama,” Violet teased.
She led Libby into the kitchen.
“One way or another, my stepmother has made some terrible problems for all of us,” Libby said somberly. “But she messed up.”
“How?”
“My dad must have suspected something, because he made a new will and left it with a rare coin dealer in San Antonio,” Libby replied. “The coin collection he had is there, too. Mr. Kemp says Curt and I will be able to pay off our mortgage and get our livestock back.”
“Libby, that’s wonderful!” Violet exclaimed.
“Yes. Wonderful. But Julie Merrill has been making my life hell lately. She’s got her claws into Jordan and she won’t let go. He thinks I’m just jealous and trying to break them up. But it’s more than that,” she said grimly. “She’s dangerous. She’s been spreading all sorts of rumors about Calhoun Ballenger. He got Mr. Kemp to file suit against her for slander.”
“Good for Calhoun!”
Libby helped put pizza on plates. “I thought Jordan cared about me,” she said miserably. “But the minute Julie turned on the charm, he dropped me flat. He even let her insult me without saying a single word in my defense.”
“I’m really sorry,” Violet told her. “I thought Jordan was smart enough to see through her.”
“She’s pretty and smart and rich,” Libby murmured.
“And what are you, hideous?” Violet chided. “Your people were founding families of Jacobsville, and you’re a paralegal. You’re pretty, too. You’re worth two of Julie Merrill.”
Libby looked less stressed. She smiled. “Thanks, Violet. I really have missed you,” she added. “I don’t have anybody else that I can talk to, except my brother, and I couldn’t tell him how I really feel about Jordan.”
“Julie will fall into that deep hole she’s digging one day,” Violet told the other woman. “With any luck, Janet will fall into one just as deep!” She hesitated, remembering what Libby had said. “Mr. Kemp isn’t going to go up there alone to get those things, is he? I mean, Janet might have an accomplice…”
“Cash Grier is going with him,” Libby interrupted.
Violet laughed. “I’ll stop worrying right now. Nobody is going to mess with our chief of police.”
“That’s gospel,” Libby agreed. “Although you might remember that Mr. Kemp was an officer in the reserves until just recently. He’s no shrinking daisy.”
“I know,” Violet replied, smiling. “Remember those two men he threw out of our office?”
“I’m trying to forget!”
They both laughed.

The pizza was delicious. Violet walked out with Libby when she was ready to leave.
“Are you going to come back?” Libby asked the other woman seriously.
“Yes,” Violet said. “I dread having to tell Mr. Wright, though,” she added. “He was kind to me.”
“Duke’s nice. He won’t mind. He may not like Mr. Kemp, but he likes you,” she added with a smile. “I’ll bet he won’t even ask you to work a two week notice.”
“That would be nice.” She wrapped her arms around herself. The night was cool. “Has Mr. Kemp really missed me?”
Libby smiled. “He really has. He’s set new records for hostility and impatience. I think Jessie quit because she reached the end of her rope. She couldn’t please the boss no matter what she did. It seemed to Mabel and me that Mr. Kemp was trying to make her leave.”
Violet smiled delightedly. “I’ve missed him, too,” she confessed.
Libby hugged her. “We all know how you feel about him. I think you’ve got a good chance with him, Violet,” she said gently. “I wouldn’t encourage you to come back if I didn’t. I know too much about unrequited love.”
“You and Jordan are going to work out one day, too,” Violet assured her friend. “I’m sure of it.”
“Chance would be a fine thing,” Libby sighed. “Well, I’d better get home. Curt’s having a night out with the boys so I don’t have to worry about his supper, thank goodness.”
“Your brother’s a nice man.”
“He is, isn’t he?” Libby grinned. “I wouldn’t have minded you for a sister-in-law, you know. But you can’t get past love. I know. I’ve tried.”
“It will work out, Libby,” Violet told her.
“Somehow,” Libby agreed.
“Thanks for the pizza and the company.”
“You’re very welcome.”
“I’ll call Mr. Wright tonight,” Violet added, full of excitement.
“We’ll look forward to having you back whenever you can come,” Libby called on her way to the car.

Violet did phone Duke Wright, and he did waive her two weeks’ notice. He was sorry to lose her, he added, but a blind man could see how she felt about Kemp. Not that Kemp deserved her, he added wryly. Violet thanked him and hung up. She was going to be sitting at her desk when Mr. Kemp came in the next morning. She could hardly wait to see the look on his face!

Kemp and Cash Grier were on their way back from San Antonio after a stop at the coin dealer’s shop, a local attorney’s office, and a quick lunch. Kemp had salvaged more than enough of the late Riddle Collins’s assets to save Libby and Curt Collins from bankruptcy. They’d be able to pay off their outstanding loan and have plenty left over to put in the bank. The coin collection their father had left them was worth a fortune by itself. But in addition to it, Kemp had found two savings accounts and a new will that their late father had placed with the coin dealer in San Antonio. Apparently, he hadn’t trusted his wife, Janet, one bit, and had planned for her legal shenanigans after his death. He’d assured that his children wouldn’t be left penniless.
“Isn’t greed amazing?” Kemp murmured aloud, having told Grier the bare bones of the shameful way Janet had treated her stepchildren.
“It is,” Grier said. “I’ve never understood it. I like having enough to provide a roof over my head and the occasional night at the theater, but there are plenty of things I wouldn’t consider doing even to make myself rich.”
“Same here.” Kemp glanced at the older man curiously.
“Something bothering you?” Grier asked.
“I’m surprised at the way you’ve fit in here,” he replied with a faint smile. “You do know the whole town’s talking about your defense of your two patrol officers—the ones the mayor is trying to fire.”
“I like controversy if it’s in a good cause,” Grier said. He grinned. “I’m not letting them fire good officers for doing their jobs.”
“You’ve got some drug traffickers on the run as well,” Kemp mused. “You’re shaking up our little community. I like the changes. So do a lot of other people.”
“I’m glad, but I didn’t take the job to win a popularity contest.”
“Why did you?” Kemp asked evenly.
Grier sighed. “I’m tired of living on the run,” he confessed, gazing out the window while Kemp drove. “I’m feeling my age. I think I might put down roots here.”
“With Tippy?” Kemp fished.
Grier didn’t fly at him, as he’d expected. The older man frowned slightly. “She’s not what she seems,” he replied quietly. “I’ve misjudged her badly. I don’t know that she’d be willing to take me on, once she’s back on her feet and able to work again. In any case, I can’t let her far out of my sight right now. Not until that third kidnapper is in custody,” he added coldly. “If he turns up in Jacobsville and makes a try for her, he’d better carry life insurance.”
“It would take a stupid criminal to do that.”
“I’ve locked up a lot of guys who aren’t rocket scientists,” Grier said drolly, with a speaking glance at Kemp.
Kemp chuckled. “I’ve defended a fair number who weren’t, too,” he had to agree. “Which reminds me, if you want me to defend your patrol officers at the hearing, I’ll do it pro bono.”
“Thanks,” Grier told him. “But I’ve got a big surprise for the city council when they meet for that hearing.”
“I forgot. You’re related to the Hart boys, aren’t you?”
Grier grinned. “They’re my cousins.”
“And Simon Hart is our state attorney general,” he added, laughing. “Then I don’t need to offer my services. I won’t try to guess who you’re bringing with you.”
“You won’t need to guess,” Grier said. He stretched lazily. “I need a few days off. Once the election is over and the disciplinary hearing is decided, I’m going to take some time off. Tippy’s little brother is coming down here soon. He likes to fish. Maybe he and I can stake out a riverbank for a few hours and take some fresh fish home to Tippy for dinner.”
“Can she cook?” Kemp asked, surprised.
“Indeed she can,” he replied. “You’d be amazed at how domestic she is.” His eyes were soft. “She looks right at home in a kitchen. I could get used to seeing her across a table for the rest of my life.”
Kemp felt uneasy. Grier, an older and lonelier man than himself, was apparently thinking solemnly about a stable and shared future with a woman. Kemp thought of marriage and it made him uncomfortable.
“I’m not in the market for a wife,” Kemp said aloud. “I like my own space, my own company.”
Grier gave him a grin. “I used to be that way, too. There’s always the one woman who can change your mind.”
Kemp shrugged. “Not for me. I’ve been that route once. I never want to go over the same ground again.”
“Nothing wrong with being a loner,” Grier said. “Until recent days, I felt that way, too.”
“Tippy’s a beauty.”
“She’s got a good brain, and she’s a quick hand in an emergency,” Grier told him. “It’s not about looks.”
“Sorry,” Kemp said belatedly. “I was thinking out loud.”
“I hear your new secretary quit,” Grier mused.
“She couldn’t spell,” Kemp muttered. “It’s no loss.”
“What are you going to do, have Libby and Mabel double up on work again?”
“Violet might come back.”
Grier pursed his lips. “I thought she was keen on having you for a barbecue as the entrée.”
Kemp shrugged. “We’re speaking again.” He tried not to let it show that they were doing a lot more than that.
“If you say so.”
“I can get another secretary whenever I need one,” Kemp added doggedly.
“Does the employment agency know this?”
Kemp gave him a glare. “Just because they hung up on me doesn’t mean they don’t want my business.”
“I’m sure.”
“Anyway, if Violet comes back, all my problems will be solved,” he said. “And now that I’ve got Riddle Collins’s secret stash in that suitcase, Libby and Curt Collins will be out of debt and back in their own home again.”
“That won’t suit Julie Merrill,” Grier murmured coolly. “She’s hot after Jordan Powell’s money. Poor Libby.”
“Poor Julie, if you can get her where we all want her,” Kemp said.
“I’m working on that,” Grier assured him. “One way or another, I’m going to put the last of the drug cartel out of business in Jacobsville.”
“With my blessing,” Kemp replied, smiling.

Kemp came into his office early the next morning with Riddle’s stash and showed it to Libby, who’d come in early for the occasion. She was ecstatic as they went over the proof of her father’s love for her and Curt.
A few minutes later, Kemp started out for the courthouse to file the revised will Riddle had left. When he walked into the outer office, the first thing he saw was Violet, sitting at her desk.
His expression was enough to feed Violet’s hungry heart. She smiled, flushed and beamed up at him.
“You said I could come back,” she reminded him brightly.
“Yes, I did,” he replied, smiling. “Are you staying?”
She nodded.
“How about making a fresh pot of coffee?” he asked.
“Regular?”
“Half and half,” he replied, averting his eyes. “Too much caffeine isn’t good for me.”
He went out the door, leaving Violet with her jaw dropping.
“I told you he missed you!” Libby whispered mischievously as she followed the boss onto the sidewalk.

As the day went on, Kemp found himself looking for excuses to go to the front of his office. He went through two pots of coffee, because that was the best excuse he had. Violet was wearing a sassy blue dress that emphasized her nice, rounded figure. It was fairly low cut in front, and with her frosted dark hair and her improved use of makeup, she was enough to turn any man’s head.
Libby and Mabel noticed his sudden interest in the coffeepot with subdued humor. They didn’t want to embarrass Violet, who flushed every time the boss came close.
It was almost inevitable that Violet stayed just a few minutes longer than Mabel and Libby at the end of the day.
She tidied up her desk and slowly gathered her purse and sweater. Blake came out to the front office and stood, openly staring at her, with his hands in his pockets and an odd, intent look in the blue eyes behind his trendy spectacles.
“Are you in a rush to get home? Can you phone your mother and tell her you’ll be a few minutes late?” he added.
“Of…of course,” she stammered. The way he was looking at her made her tingle from head to toe. She fumbled the phone to her ear and dialed, her eyes eating her handsome boss all the while.
She told her mother she’d be a few minutes late, trying not to react obviously to her parent’s amusement.
Blake held out his hand. Violet dropped her purse and sweater on her chair and went to him, letting him lead her back to his office.
He closed the door and pulled her hungrily into his arms. She sighed with pure delight as his hard mouth found her lips and he lifted her into an even more intimate embrace.
“I’ve missed you,” he ground out against her responsive lips.
“I’ve missed you…too,” she whispered back.
“Come home with me,” he suggested huskily.
She knew what he was really suggesting, and it wasn’t supper. She wanted to go with him. She wanted to be with him. But she was hesitant.
He felt her hesitation. He let her slide down his hard body and he stared into her eyes hungrily. “Well?”
She swallowed. Her gaze was on his broad chest, because she couldn’t look him in the eye and refuse him.
“What are you offering me, Blake?” she asked quietly.
He scowled. “Are we bargaining for sex?”
She stared up at him, dumbfounded. “Is that all you want from me?”
He was confused. Usually logical and cool in his thinking, now he was like a young man on the brink of his first affair.
“I don’t want to get married, Violet,” he said gently. “You know that.”
She swallowed hard. “Yes. You’ve already said that. But I don’t want to be your mistress.”
His jaw tensed. “I don’t recall asking you to be.”
“What would you call it, then?” Violet asked sadly. “You want to sleep with me, with no ties, isn’t that the truth?”
He stuck his hands in his slacks pockets and let out a long sigh.
“My mother is old-fashioned,” she continued. “She raised me to think of sex as something that goes hand in hand with love and marriage. It would break her heart to have me settle for a purely physical liaison with any man, especially you.” She looked up at him miserably. “Jacobsville is a small town, Blake. Everybody would know.”
“I’m not a slave to public opinion,” he said harshly, feeling himself lose ground.
“Yes, but I am,” she replied. She stepped back, feeling a sudden coldness in his manner. It wasn’t what she’d expected when she came in here with him. She’d hoped that he might come to love her. They’d been so close at his house. Now they were like strangers.
He was furious. He was confused. This woman had caused him more inner turmoil than he’d known since the death of his fiancée, years before. He loved his freedom. But he hated the thought of losing Violet.
“Violet,” he began slowly, “I was engaged once. I loved her more than life. After I lost her, I didn’t want to go on living.” He frowned. “I…can’t go through that again.”
She looked up into his turbulent eyes. “Why would you have to? You don’t love me,” she said miserably. “You only want me.”
She turned and went to the door.
Before she could open it, his hand covered hers on the doorknob. “Wait.”
“I should never have returned here to work,” she said. “I’ll go back to Mr. Wright. You can get another temporary secretary to fill in until you replace me.”
“No!”
Tears blurred her blue eyes. She’d never been so miserable in her life. “Just let me go, please!”
He moved his hand. Seconds later, she was out the front door and gone. He stood alone in his office, feeling empty and cold. She wanted something he couldn’t give her. Why couldn’t women be like men, he wondered angrily, and just enjoy the present without asking for solemn vows of forever?
He went home in a snit and made supper for himself and the cats. They gave him odd looks, as if they sensed his inner turmoil.
He glared at them. “Don’t you start,” he muttered. Mee rubbed against his legs. Yow sat watching him with blue accusing eyes. “Great,” he muttered. “Now I’m talking to cats!”
He finished his meager supper and tried to get interested in a television program, but his body ached with thoughts of Violet in his arms. He wasn’t giving in, though. If she thought she’d get him in front of a minister by holding out physically, she was dead wrong.
He couldn’t forget their one time of intimacy, the beauty and joy of possessing her. It had been a perfect physical interlude.
Then he remembered something else he’d tried to forget. They’d had unprotected sex. What if Violet got pregnant?
He sat up straight, his eyes wide and stunned at just the thought. What would they do? He knew for a fact that Violet would never be able to go to a clinic. She’d insist on having the child. He had a horror of children. He’d never gotten over the fact that Shannon had been carrying his child when she died. It had warped his attitude toward pregnancy. He thought of children and he remembered how he felt when he knew his child had died with the woman he loved. It brought back nightmares of pain. Violet wouldn’t understand that. She wanted happily ever after. All he wanted was relief from the nagging physical hunger that was taking him over.
But if she was pregnant, he couldn’t desert her. Not only would it be unworthy of him as a man, it would reflect badly on his character in a town the size of Jacobsville. The gossip would ruin Violet’s reputation and the shame might well kill her mother, considering Mrs. Hardy’s fragile health.
He cursed under his breath. If he’d never invited Violet home with him, none of this would ever have happened. Why couldn’t he have just let her go and left it at that? He’d landed them in hell with his uncontrollable passion. He couldn’t blame that on Violet. All the same, he didn’t know what he was going to do.
But he couldn’t let her quit. Not until he knew about her condition. He picked up the phone and punched in her number.

Violet had managed to hide her misery from her mother. She knew that Blake wouldn’t mind if she quit again. It would probably be a relief to him. He wanted her and he couldn’t have her on his terms. Perhaps it would make things easier if she went back to work for Duke. She should pick up the phone and call him, right now…
The phone rang, making her jump. She picked it up without thinking.
“Hello?” she said.
“Don’t quit,” Blake said quietly.
Her heart jumped up into her throat. “Excuse me?” she stammered.
“Let’s take it one day at a time, Violet. All right?” he asked, and he actually sounded as if he was rethinking the future.
She felt reborn. Her spirit soared. She could hardly contain the happiness she felt. “All right,” she said on a soft laugh. “One day at a time!”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ nargis  
ÞÏíã 30-08-07, 07:30 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 14
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSweden

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
nargis ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter Eight
For days, Violet and Blake were hesitant around each other. He was the soul of courtesy. He didn’t curse or yell. He didn’t throw anyone out of the office. He seemed to be a changed man.
Violet loved the tenderness he showed her. He never raised his voice or made sarcastic comments about her work. But he wasn’t forward in any way, either, and he didn’t touch her. He seemed to be waiting for something, watching. Violet wondered why.
Julie Merrill was arrested for the attempted arson of Libby and Curt Collins’s house the following Saturday, and Cash Grier had a big surprise for the city council at the Monday disciplinary hearing. The patrol officers were exonerated and the mayor was embarrassed for trying to force them to retract drunk driving charges against his uncle, State Senator Merrill.
The next day was the primary elections. Calhoun Ballenger won the Democratic nomination away from Senator Merrill in a huge upset, and the mayor lost his job in a special election won by former mayor Eddie Cane. It was a great day for Jacobsville.
But on Wednesday morning, Violet lost her breakfast at the office. Blake, walking past the bathroom, heard her retching. He felt sick himself. Violet was healthy as a horse. If she was throwing up, there could only be one explanation. She had to be pregnant.
It was the end of the world. Blake went around for the rest of the day in a daze. So did Violet. He overheard Mabel and Libby murmuring about Violet’s bout of sickness and her upcoming doctor’s appointment. They clammed up immediately when Blake walked into the room. It didn’t take much to figure out that if Violet was pregnant, her boss was responsible. After all, who else had Violet been crazy about for a year? More importantly, who had she been alone with lately? It didn’t take a lot of guesswork.

Violet was panic-stricken after she lost her breakfast. She phoned Dr. Lou Coltrain’s office and made an appointment, all too aware that Mabel and Libby could hear her doing it. She told them she thought she had a virus and she was afraid of giving it to her mother. But they were suspicious and it showed.
She drove to Lou’s office after work, leaving Libby and Mabel to close up. She swore Dr. Coltrain to secrecy before she even mentioned her symptoms. Lou gave her a worried look as she had her nurse draw blood for a simple pregnancy test.
“One time,” Violet choked when Lou gave her the results of the test a few minutes later.
“One time is all it takes,” Lou said ruefully. “Oh, Violet.”
“What am I going to do?” the younger woman groaned, with her face in her hands. “I can’t even step on ants, Lou!”
The other woman patted her shoulder sympathetically. “I’m sure once Blake knows…”
Violet gave her a horrified look.
“Who else could it be?” Lou asked reasonably. “He’s the only man you care about, and you spent half a day at his house,” she added, smiling ruefully when Violet flushed. “Well, on the positive side, it won’t be difficult to find your due date.”
“He doesn’t want children,” Violet said. “He doesn’t even want anything permanent. He said so…!”
Lou eased her back down into the chair she’d bolted from. “Don’t panic.”
“My mother has already had a stroke! She raised me to be good…!”
“People are human,” Lou interrupted. “Your mother isn’t going to disown you or throw you out into the street.”
“Everyone will know,” Violet groaned. She drew in a shaky breath. “I could move up to San Antonio,” she began.
“That would make it even worse,” Lou assured her. “And leave Blake to face the music all alone.” She pursed her lips and her dark eyes flashed. “Maybe that’s not such a bad thing. I thought better of him. He’s intelligent enough to know about using protection. He couldn’t have thought you were experienced!”
The flush got worse. “Am I wearing a sign?”
“It’s a small town,” Lou pointed out. “You aren’t promiscuous.”
Violet drew in another breath. “I don’t know what to do.”
“Go home and eat healthy. I’ll prescribe vitamins. You need to be in the care of a good OB/GYN specialist as well. I know one in Victoria I can send you to,” she added when Violet looked even more terrified. “She’s discreet.”
Violet ground her teeth together. “This isn’t how I planned my life.”
“Life is what happens when you make other plans,” Lou quoted. She frowned. “I don’t remember who said that, but it’s absolutely true.” She gave Violet a long, smiling look. “You’ll make a wonderful mother.”
A mother! In the terror of the moment, Violet had lost track of things. But now she realized that there would be a miniature version of herself or Blake. She felt…odd. Her hands went to her flat stomach in wonder. There was a baby inside her!
“Now you’re getting the picture.” Lou laughed. “There’s nothing quite like the feeling a woman gets when she realizes there’s a tiny life inside her body. When I knew I was pregnant, I could hardly believe it,” she added. “I was excited, and then afraid, and then I walked around in a daze of daydreams.” Her eyes misted. “It was the happiest nine months of my life. I can hardly wait to do it all over again, but we wanted to wait until our little boy was older. It’s hard to handle a baby and a toddler and a profession, all at the same time.”
Violet smiled, feeling torn by emotions. “I’ve always wanted children. I just hoped…well, I’d have liked being married.”
“Tell Blake and you will be,” Lou suggested.
Violet shook her head. “I can’t tell him. Not now. Maybe not ever.”
“He has an obligation to help support his child, Violet,” Lou said firmly. “You didn’t get pregnant all by yourself. As for keeping it from him, that isn’t going to be possible. Not in a town this small. For one thing,” she said, “when you get this prescription filled, everybody in the pharmacy is going to know what’s going on,” she added, writing it out. “It’s for prenatal vitamins.”
Violet had that base covered, at least. “I’ll drive up to Victoria and get it filled,” she said doggedly.
“All right, ostrich, hide your head in the sand while you can,” Lou said amusedly.
“I can do this,” she said firmly.
“Sure you can,” Lou humored her. She handed Violet the prescription. “No heavy lifting for the first trimester. And get plenty of sleep.”
“Plenty of sleep. Right,” Violet muttered, foreseeing sleeplessness that might never end, from worrying about her condition and her mother’s health.
Lou patted her shoulder. “You won’t believe me, but in five or six months, you’re going to look back on this day and smile.”
“If I were a gambler, I’d take you up on that,” Violet said heavily. “But thanks, Dr. Lou.”
Lou watched her go with worried eyes that Violet didn’t see. She wondered how in the world Violet was going to manage.

Blake knew that Violet had been to see Lou Coltrain because he’d seen her coming out of Lou’s office on his way home from work. The visit, combined with the hunted look on Violet’s face when she came in to work the next day, told the whole story. He cursed himself for what he’d done to them both. If he’d kept his head, if he’d used protection, if, if, if…! Now he was going to be a father and he had to marry the mother of his child or disgrace himself and Mrs. Hardy as well as Violet. He hated the whole idea of giving up his freedom. He hated the idea of a child in his life. He wasn’t family man material.
But he was a responsible man and he had a conscience. He was going to have to act. He didn’t want Violet doing something desperate.
If he told her that he knew about her condition, she’d know that he was asking her to marry him out of duty and she’d refuse. So he had to hide his real feelings and pretend to have a change of heart while there was still time. He had a poker face. He could pull it off. After all, what choice did he have?
When it was quitting time, he went out to the main office. “Violet, how about a cup of coffee and a steak and salad at Barbara’s Café?” he asked carelessly. “You can take a salad home to your mother.”
Libby and Mabel hid delighted smiles, said their good-nights, and left at once to give the couple some privacy.
Violet stared at her boss curiously. “Supper? With you?” she stammered.
He forced a smile. “Supper with me. Are you game?”
“People will talk.”
He shrugged. “So?”
She felt a little better. At least he liked her enough that he wasn’t backing away from gossip. Maybe there was a little hope for the future after all. She smiled. “I’d love to!”
“Good. Call your mother and we’ll walk over to Barbara’s after we lock up.”
“I’ll do it right now!”

Barbara served three meals a day, and her café was always crowded after quitting time. Today was no exception. When Violet walked in with Blake Kemp, conversation muted at once and all eyes turned toward the couple in the buffet line.
They chose steaks and salads, and Violet placed an order to go for her mother. But she insisted on paying for her own order, to Blake’s dismay.
“Talk about independent women,” Blake murmured dryly as they sat down to eat.
“Mama raised me that way,” Violet said simply, smiling. “She said we need to depend on ourselves and not impose on other people.”
“I never thought of steak as an imposition,” he mused.
She laughed. “Thanks for the offer, anyway,” she replied.
He finished his salad in short order and started on his steak. He didn’t use condiments. He noticed that Violet didn’t, either.
“What sort of music do you like?” he asked abruptly.
She hesitated with a piece of steak halfway to her mouth. “I like country-western and classical. And some hard rock,” she added impishly.
He laughed. “Actually, so do I.”
“Do you like to read?”
He nodded. “I like ancient history and biographies.”
She smiled sheepishly. “I like women’s fiction and books about gardening and gourmet [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]ng.”
He searched her eyes. “Your mother said you like astronomy.”
“I do,” she agreed. “But I can’t afford a telescope.”
He leaned forward. “I have a twelve-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain.”
That was an expensive composite telescope, part refractor and part reflector. She’d dreamed of owning something so large and efficient. She gasped. “You do?”
He laughed. “I spend a lot of time outside at night. Since I live so far out of town, I don’t have problems with light pollution.”
“I’ll bet you can see the craters on the moon,” she sighed.
“I can see inside them,” he corrected.
She whistled softly. “I’d love to look through it.”
“We can arrange that. Think you could get used to two warlike Siamese cats?”
“I like Mee and Yow,” she replied, curious.
He stared down at his plate. “I’ve been giving a lot of thought to our situation,” he said finally. “Since you left and went to work for Wright, my priorities have changed. I’m not as happy being alone as I used to be.”
She put down her fork and sat just staring at him. Her heart was beating her to death. Could he mean…?
He lifted his eyes to hers. “I said that I wasn’t a marrying man. And at the time, I believed it. But I like having you around.” His gaze fell to her mouth and his eyes darkened. “In fact, I’d like having you around more than just at work.”
“I don’t understand,” she faltered.
He reached for her hand and curled her fingers into his. He looked into her blue eyes and felt as if he were drowning. “I think we might get engaged,” he said, trying to find the right words and failing miserably.
“You and me?” she exclaimed.
“You and me,” he agreed. He slid his fingers over hers. “Violet, we have a lot in common. I think we’ll find a lot more as we go along.” His voice lowered. “And physically, there’s no question of compatibility.”
She flushed softly. “But, you said you didn’t ever want to get married, and that you’d never want children…”
“A man says a lot of stupid things when he’s trying to hold on to a comfortable routine, Violet,” he replied. “I’m a loner. It’s been hard for me to even think about changing my life, in any way.”
“You don’t love me, though,” she blurted out.
He couldn’t pretend to. It would look like a lie. Violet was perceptive. His fingers curled around hers. “Friendship and affection can lead to it,” he said gently. “I can’t give you any guarantees about happily ever after. But I can promise you affection and companionship and respect. The rest will fall into place. I know it will. Give it a chance. Say yes.”
She hesitated. It didn’t sound genuine. He wasn’t pretending undying love, but he wasn’t promising much. She could get companionship and affection from a dog or a cat. What she wanted from Blake was much more. What sort of marriage would it be if he didn’t love her, as she loved him? He obviously enjoyed her physically, but everybody said that passion wore itself out eventually. After it was gone, what would Blake have left if he didn’t love her as well as want her?
“You’re thinking it to death,” he accused. “Listen to me. I’m tired of living alone. I’m willing to take a chance if you are. If things don’t work out, it’s no problem. We’ll go our separate ways.” He was already thinking ahead; if she turned out not to be pregnant, there was no reason to think he’d have to stay married to her. But he wasn’t about to admit that.
“You mean, we’d get a divorce,” she said.
He shrugged. “Sometimes things don’t work out. I’m not saying I think we wouldn’t make it, Violet. I’m offering you a way out, just in case.”
“Isn’t that sort of like having a fire engine stand by in case there’s ever a fire?” she fished.
He chuckled. “No. It’s not.” He studied her warmly. “Come on. Give in. You can have any sort of engagement ring you like, and I’ll even let you sign an ironclad agreement that you’ll never leave me to work for anyone else ever again.”
“Why would I sign such an agreement?” she exclaimed.
“For my peace of mind, of course,” he told her dryly. “You’d want me to be happy, wouldn’t you?”
She lost her apprehension and laughed with him. “That’s awful.”
“Give me time. I’ll get even worse with age,” he promised.
“What a horrible thought!”
“I’ll promise not to throw dictionaries at you,” he added.
“You’ve never thrown one at me,” she recalled. She hesitated. “You didn’t throw one at Jessie?”
“It was a thin one,” he assured her. “Paperback, and abridged.”
She burst out laughing. “No wonder she quit!”
“Oh, that wasn’t about the dictionary,” he said easily. “That was after I poured coffee over a brief she typed.”
She gaped at him, waiting for an explanation.
“It had two spelling errors per line. I wanted to make sure she knew to redo it.”
“You couldn’t have just asked?”
“Too demeaning,” he said. “My way worked much better.”
“Your way made her quit!”
“So you could come back,” he pointed out. “She wouldn’t have quit if I’d just asked her to retype the brief, would she?”
She really liked him. It was surprising how comfortable she felt with him, now, even though he excited her almost beyond bearing. It would be taking a chance, she supposed, to marry him. But she didn’t have enough willpower to refuse. Perhaps she could teach him to love her, if she worked at it. At the moment, she felt as if she could do anything. Her heart was soaring with delight.
Her free hand covered his. “I must save other women from you,” she said facetiously. “So I suppose I’ll have to marry you, after all.”
He felt funny in the pit of his stomach. He was willing to marry her out of a sense of duty, although she wouldn’t know it. But when she agreed to it, he felt suddenly lighter than air. He felt like the luckiest man alive. That was absurd. He didn’t love her. He wanted her. He remembered suddenly the feel of her eager, untried body under his on the living room carpet and his cheeks reflected a ruddy color.
“What is it?” she asked, curious.
“I was remembering my carpet.”
It took a minute, but she remembered, too. Her own face flushed.
He laughed softly, wickedly. “At least, in that department we’re very compatible, aren’t we, Violet,” he taunted.
“Devil!” she accused, glancing around to make sure nobody heard him.
“It’s okay. We’re alone on the planet,” he assured her in a mock whisper. “We’re invisible to the rest of humanity. That being the case, how do you feel about linoleum?” he asked with a speculative glance toward the floor.
“Blake Kemp!” she exclaimed, smacking him on the arm.
He grinned at her. It was a genuine smile. He’d never felt such pleasure in a woman’s company. Well, not since Shannon. The thought of Shannon wiped the smile from his face and left him haunted.
She saw that, and her face fell. “Something’s wrong, isn’t it?”
He couldn’t tell her the truth. “I was thinking about your mother,” he lied.
“Oh. Oh, dear!” She bit her lip. “Blake, I can’t leave her alone. I wouldn’t dare.”
“How would you feel about having someone stay with her, around the clock, if we visited her often?” he asked, looking for compromises.
“I don’t know…”
“We won’t get married in the next two days,” he said with a comforting smile. “We’ve got plenty of time to work something out.”
“Yes,” she murmured, but she was wondering what he meant about plenty of time. He didn’t sound as if he was expecting to marry her soon.
He let go of her hand and reached for his coffee cup. “Don’t borrow worries, Violet,” he chided gently. “Everything falls into place, given time.”
“I suppose so.”
“Want dessert?” he asked.
She grimaced. “Not really,” she confessed. “It’s too hard to work it off once I gain it.” Then she remembered that she was going to be gaining a lot of weight, soon, and her spirits drooped. Her hormones were already reflecting her pregnancy. She was going to go through a lot more changes in the near future.
“I like the way you look,” he said, his voice deep and soft.
She lifted worried eyes to his. “Do you, honestly?”
He nodded.
She finished her own coffee, just as Jan, the young woman who worked for Barbara, brought Mrs. Hardy’s supper in a bag for Violet.
“Should we tell Mama yet?” she asked Blake.
He hesitated. He was still getting used to the idea of having to get married. He didn’t want to tell anybody.
“We could wait, a few days, at least,” she suggested.
“Do you want to?” he replied, surprised.
“Yes,” she said firmly. “I need time to get used to the idea myself,” she confessed with a shy smile. She didn’t add that she didn’t think he was serious about getting married, and she didn’t want her mother to be disappointed in case he found a reason to back out of it. Maybe it had been an impulse, asking her to marry him, and he was already regretting it.
“If that’s what you want,” he agreed easily.

He walked her to her car. The parking lot was crowded and he wasn’t keen to give local citizens any more reason for gossip. He caught her hand and touched it to his lips. “I’ll see you in the morning,” he said.
“Right. I enjoyed supper,” she added with a shy smile.
“So did I. We’ll have to spend more time together. I don’t know much about you, do I?” he asked gently.
“I don’t know a lot about you, either.”
“All the more reason.” He checked his watch. “I’ve got to go. I’m expecting a phone call about a case, at home. It’s almost time. See you tomorrow.”
“Yes.” She would have said more, but he was already walking away. He didn’t break stride until he reached his car, and he didn’t look back.
Violet watched him drive away with an odd sense of foreboding. He didn’t act like a newly engaged man. He didn’t act like a man eager to marry, either. She got into her car and drove home. She was more determined than ever not to mention their so-called engagement to her mother.
The rest of the week dragged on, with Violet successfully hiding her morning sickness both from her mother and her co-workers, and Blake.
It worried her that Blake didn’t announce their engagement, or treat her any differently. She grew depressed, and it showed.
Blake noticed. Friday afternoon, he held Violet back after Mabel and Libby left. He locked the front door, drew her into his office and closed that door, too.
Sometimes, a sacrifice was called for. That was what he told himself when he drew Violet into his arms and bent to kiss her with forced enthusiasm.
But the minute he felt her soft mouth open under his, it stopped being a sacrifice. He lifted her body against his and deepened the kiss. She moaned under his lips. He caught his breath, his arms contracting hungrily. It had been a long, dry spell, and he was reacting badly to it. He felt himself go taut as the kiss moved into deeper, more urgent dimensions.
He bent to lift her, his mind no longer on pretense or fabrication. He had only one thought in his mind, to relieve the need that was drawing his powerful body as tight as a cable.
“Blake, we…shouldn’t…” she tried to protest when he laid her out on the sofa and melted down onto her.
His mouth stopped the halfhearted little protest. His hand was busy on fastenings. In seconds, she felt her bare breasts under his equally bare chest. It was so sweet that she couldn’t even manage a defense.
One lean leg inserted itself between both of hers under her skirt and he groaned harshly as he dragged her briefs down and found the fastenings of his slacks.
“I’m sorry,” he ground out into her mouth as his hips moved down and she felt him in growing intimacy. “I’m sorry, Violet,” he groaned, shivering. “I can’t hold it…!”
He was genuinely out of control. His body impaled hers with quick, deft movements that should have been uncomfortable. But she was hungry for him, too. She opened her legs with a shaken little sigh and arched her hips to encourage him.
Her hands found their way into his thick, wavy hair and caressed it while he moved on her in intense passion.
In some ways, it was far more exciting than a slow seduction. He was at fever pitch, and she was quickly following him into the fire. It made her feel oddly protective that he was that desperate for her. It was honest. No man could have pretended the passion she felt in him.
“Here,” he whispered urgently, shifting her leg with one lean, strong hand. “Lift it over…mine. Hurry. Yes. Yes!”
He pushed down against her, lifting his head so that he could see her face, her eyes. They were open, dark, almost shocked. But her body was encouraging him. He felt her lift to meet each deep, hard thrust. He felt her softness envelop him, cradle him, in that secret warmth. He was flying. He was burning alive. His whole body was one long, throbbing ache.
The tension built to insane proportions. He gasped with every hard thrust, his eyes blazing with desire, his body rigid, shuddering, with it.
His fingers contracted on her soft thigh, pulling her up to him. His teeth clenched as he looked into her wide, shocked eyes.
“I’ve never watched…with anyone else,” he managed in a deep, shaken whisper.
She couldn’t answer him. She was spiraling up with him into some dark, hot pleasure that built and built with no relief from the tension that strained her muscles and left her shivering with every movement of his lean hips.
“This is insane,” he managed harshly.
Her breasts pushed up against his chest, rubbing hard against it while her hands went between them and stroked down to his flat belly.
He groaned harshly and shuddered. “Yes,” he choked. “Yes, do that…do it!”
He arched up, feeling the throbbing pleasure like a knife in him. He couldn’t think. He could barely breathe. He hoped she was going with him, because he couldn’t stop, couldn’t stop, couldn’t…stop…!
He cried out, his voice hoarse and strained as his body convulsed over hers. She watched him, fascinated, feeling the deep throb inside her as he shivered and stiffened and then, suddenly, collapsed and gasped for breath.
She was still tingling, but he hadn’t given her enough time. She felt sad; cheated. She didn’t want to say anything. At least he needed her, if nothing more.
He managed to steady his breathing, although he was still fiercely aroused. He lifted his head and looked at her taut, drawn face. She hadn’t gone with him. She was still hungry.
He felt a tenderness toward her at that minute that he’d never felt in his life. She wasn’t even complaining. She loved him.
Loved him. The thought made him humble. He reached between them and touched her blatantly, his body controlling her when she jerked in protest.
“Oh, no,” he whispered softly, his hand moving gently until he found the place, and the pressure, that made her gasp and lift up. “No, I’m not stopping until you go as high as I did, no matter what it takes.” He bent and brushed his mouth slowly over her lips. She shivered as his touch became more insistent. “I’d do anything for you,” he whispered into her mouth.
“Blake,” she moaned, her fingers gripping his shoulders painfully as the pleasure grew.
“Yes, you’re ready now,” he whispered, lifting his head to look at her. “I’m going to watch you this time. I like the way your eyes go black when I take you over the edge. I like the way your breasts swell under my mouth. I like feeling you shiver, inside, and ripple around me when you feel that exquisite fulfillment.”
The words were as exciting as the way he was touching her. But she was far beyond answering him. Her body was lifting rhythmically, pulsing, her eyes fixed on his face as the pleasure grew so tight that she felt as if she might blow apart from the tension.
Her legs drew apart and she sobbed, her nails biting hard into him as the silvery delight suddenly became dark and throbbing and urgent. “Blake, now,” she pleaded, gritting her teeth. Her eyes closed on a wave of pleasure. “Now! Please, please, please…!”
He moved, thrusting deep inside her. The single, hard motion was enough to take her right into the sky. She arched up, shuddering again and again as the ecstasy rippled over her in savage waves. She couldn’t see him. She felt him in her body as she exploded like a meteorite.
“Yes,” he whispered, unbearably excited by her explosive climax. He ground his teeth together and moved harshly on her, driving for his own fulfillment. They strained together in a hot, fierce silence as the pleasure melted their bodies together for one long, aching instant of perfect communion.
She cried when it was over. The other time it hadn’t been so intense, so overwhelming. She cried and couldn’t stop.
Blake lifted his damp head and looked at her, his body still trembling faintly from the violence of their coming together.
She opened her eyes and looked into his, and saw something she never expected. She saw utter shock.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ nargis  
ÞÏíã 30-08-07, 07:33 AM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 15
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
áíáÇÓ ãÊÇáÞ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏSweden

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
nargis ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Chapter Nine

Violet struggled to breathe. She was suddenly aware of the closeness of their bodies joined together so intimately that she could even feel the faint pulsation of him inside her.
He propped himself on his forearms, still fighting to get his breath, and looked into Violet’s blue eyes. He’d never felt such a primitive urge to possess a woman, not even Shannon. His feelings for her had been tender, protective, almost passive. He’d never wanted to ravish her. But it was different with Violet. He felt an aching, violent hunger for her. It seemed to grow by the day in strength and power.
But even so, there was tenderness. Her body was soft and pliable, and he breathed in her faint perfume with delight. He traced her eyebrows with a long forefinger, his eyes searching over her face, her throat, her swollen breasts. He touched them tenderly. He thought about his child in her womb and shivered. Would she nurse the baby? he wondered, and he felt suddenly the magic and fear of creation. She was carrying his child. His child…
His breath caught. He bent and touched his mouth to her eyes, closing them tenderly. His fingers speared into her thick hair and tilted her face so that he could close his lips over her mouth.
Violet didn’t understand. It wasn’t like last time. He was different, suddenly.
He lifted his head and smiled at her. “So much for abstaining until the ceremony,” he murmured ruefully.
She flushed.
He laughed softly. “Embarrassed?” he teased. “You shouldn’t be. This is one of the most important parts of any marriage. I’ve seen couples who were compatible in every other way end up in divorce court because one couldn’t satisfy the other in bed.”
“We don’t seem to have that problem,” she agreed shyly.
He traced her cheek. “You should have told me that you weren’t satisfied,” he said softly. “I could see it, fortunately for you. But I don’t like thinking you’d let me leave when you were still aching for satisfaction.”
She studied him curiously. “I thought men were only concerned with their own pleasure.”
“Not this man,” he replied, his voice deep and soft. He smiled quizzically. “You enjoy me, don’t you?” he asked conversationally. “I’m glad. I thought you might have hang-ups because you’d abstained all your life.”
“So did I,” she confessed with a soft laugh. “I can’t think when we’re like this.”
“I noticed,” he replied. “You dive in headfirst and give it everything you’ve got.” He kissed her softly. “I love the way you are with me, Violet,” he said seriously. He drew away slowly, aware of her faint embarrassment. He smiled, because he liked that little sign of insecurity. He liked knowing he was her first man.
She fumbled her clothes back into place. When she finished, he was already opening the door.
“Your mother is going to be worried,” he said, glancing at the clock. “You should call her before we leave.”
She went to the phone and made the call, inventing a few letters that had to be done after hours. Her mother wasn’t worried, and sounded amused. Violet gave Blake a wry glance when she hung up.
“She didn’t buy it, did she?” he asked, amused.
“She was young, once.”
“So she was.” He drew her into his arms and held her for a long moment, his expression worried. He’d only just thought about the baby and how rough he’d been. It was a protective impulse that had just started. She was carrying his child…
“I didn’t mean to be that rough,” he said suddenly. “I just…lost it when I started kissing you,” he confessed quietly. “I didn’t hurt you, did I?”
“Of course not,” she said, and thought immediately of the baby. Would sex hurt her child? Surely not. Lou had said not to lift. She hadn’t said anything about sex. It would be all right. Of course it would.
She followed Blake silently to the front of the office and waited while he turned out the lights and locked up.
“Go straight home,” he said softly. “I’ll follow you to the turnoff.”
“You don’t have to do that,” she said, surprised by his concern.
“I know. Come on.”
He helped her into her car and then got into his. She saw him in her rearview mirror until she turned off on the short road that led to the house she shared with her mother. She felt warm and secure until she pulled into her driveway and remembered that he hadn’t said one word about seeing her again during the weekend.

He didn’t call, either. She drove up to Victoria Saturday to get her prenatal vitamins and spent the weekend making an afghan while she kept her mother company. She’d been sure that Blake would at least phone her. But he didn’t.
She felt oddly used by Sunday evening. He’d needed her Friday night. It had been sweet, but completely physical on his side. She could feel that he had no strong emotional bond with her. It was physical, and that wasn’t going to last. She wondered why he’d asked her to be engaged to him. He couldn’t know she was pregnant.
At least, that’s what she thought until Monday morning. Mabel and Libby were hard at work on [ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]s for court. Violet had gone back to Blake’s office to carry him a message from a caller, because he was on the other line and she didn’t want to interrupt him in what might have been a private conversation.
She hesitated outside the door, which had been left cracked. What she heard caused the written message to fall to the floor. It broke her heart.
“What else could I do?” he was asking someone in a heavy, hunted tone. “Her mother is in seriously bad health and she’s already upset about the manner of her husband’s death. If she knew that Violet was pregnant out of wedlock, it might kill her. Besides all that, it’s a small community and everybody knows us. There’s no way Violet would agree to a termination, so marriage is the only possible resolution.”
He paused for several seconds before he spoke again, obviously listening to the person on the other end of the line. “I know,” he said, and sounded worn. “I know. But she won’t find out. I’ll never tell her. I can give her enough to make her happy. She and her mother will never want for anything. After the child is born, we’ll make whatever decisions have to be made. I’ll make sure she’s taken care of, whether or not the marriage continues. Yes. Yes, I know.”
Violet bent to pick up the fallen piece of paper. His voice droned on. Whoever he was talking to seemed long-winded.
She turned and went back down the hall to the waiting room. She wasn’t thinking clearly at all. It was impossible to make any rational decision until she could sort out her priorities.
She sat down at the computer and put the phone call memo on top of a stack of papers beside the printer tray. She felt numb for the moment. That was good, because she was going to have hysterics when she could reason again.
The front door opened and Libby came in. She glanced at Violet and hesitated.
“Are you okay?” she asked at once. “You’re white as a sheet!”
Violet swallowed hard and then swallowed again. “I feel a bit woozy,” she confessed, feeling her forehead. “There’s some sort of bug going around. I’ll bet I’ve caught it.”
“Can I get you anything?” Libby asked, concerned.
“What’s wrong?” Blake asked, coming into the room, frowning.
“Violet’s feeling ill,” Libby said. “Maybe you should go home,” she told her co-worker.
“Not a bad idea,” Blake agreed. “Do you want me to drive you?” he added.
“I can drive,” Violet managed in a husky, soft tone. She didn’t meet his eyes. “I’m just a little sick. It’s nothing. Really.”
Blake helped her up and walked outside with her. “Call me when you get home,” he said firmly. He hesitated. “On second thought, I think I should go with you.”
“No, there’s no need for that,” she said at once. “I’m fine,” she repeated. “I just need to lie down.”
He looked uncertain, and he frowned. “You look pale.”
She had a good reason to look pale, but she couldn’t tell him what it was. “I’ll be fine tomorrow,” she replied.
“Violet…” he began softly.
“See you tomorrow, boss man,” she interrupted with a faint smile, and walked away.
Blake watched her go with odd twinges of guilt. If he’d been a proper fiancé, he’d have picked her up and carried her to his own car and driven her home. He’d have stayed with her, too. He didn’t understand his own nebulous feelings. He’d spent a miserable weekend trying to resolve them. The futility of his situation had made him moody. He resented the knowledge that Violet was pregnant. He resented the trapped feeling he’d had all weekend, which had kept him from phoning her, despite their passionate interlude in the office. The baby was as much his fault as hers, of course, but he wasn’t facing facts well. He was being selfish. It was just that his whole life had turned upside down. He was uneasy about being a husband, much less a father. He’d been alone for so long. But that was no reason to let Violet suffer for something that was his own fault. She was sick, and it was his responsibility to take care of her now.
Resolutely, he turned and started toward her car, but it was only in time to see her drive out of the parking lot. She was gone in a heartbeat and he felt like the world’s biggest louse. She was sick and he was letting her go home alone.
While he was debating his next step, and reaching into his pocket for his car keys, Libby stepped to the door to tell him he was wanted urgently on the phone. One of his clients had been arrested.
He went back inside, fate having decided the next move for him.

Violet cried all the way home. She’d hoped that Blake really cared about her, that he wanted her for keeps, that he’d be thrilled when he learned about the baby. But he already knew, God knew how, and he wasn’t thrilled. He was only marrying her for appearances. He felt trapped. He didn’t want Violet in any way at all, except perhaps physically. It was a harsh blow.
She stayed in her car until the tears stopped and she was able to act with some sort of normalcy. She checked her eyes in the mirror to make sure they weren’t red. She didn’t want to alarm her mother. About one thing Blake was right: her mother would be horrified if she knew about the baby.
With a forced smile, she called to her mother as she walked in. Mrs. Hardy looked up from her soap opera and waved and smiled absently, going right back to the action on the screen.
It was a reprieve. Violet went into her bedroom and changed into loose jeans and a sweatshirt. She did lay down for a few minutes, certain that her mother wouldn’t be moved by a hurricane until her program went off.
She had to make a decision, and quickly. She couldn’t hop on a bus and leave town. It would be impossible to move her mother right now, and not only because of the impending legal problems if Janet Collins was ever found and prosecuted for the death of Violet’s father. She couldn’t leave because her mother wouldn’t survive being uprooted. She loved Jacobsville.
That being the case, temporarily Violet had only one possible course of action. She had to get out of Blake’s office. She was uneasy about calling Duke Wright back and going to work for him again, but she didn’t have a list of potential employers. She wouldn’t be able to hide her pregnancy for a long time, but for several weeks at least she wouldn’t show. That gave her a little time to make decisions.
She picked up the phone and called her former boss.

Minutes later, she walked into the living room. The credits were rolling on Mrs. Hardy’s soap opera, and the elderly lady was drying her eyes.
“It was so sad,” she told Violet. “Harry had loved Eunice for years and years, and just when he asked her to marry him, he died of a heart attack.”
“Yes, that’s sad, all right.” She bent and kissed her mother gently. “How are you feeling?”
“I should be asking you that, dear,” she replied with a pointed stare. “You look very pale. Are you all right?”
“I think I’ve picked up a bug,” Violet told her. “I came home early. It was okay with the boss man,” she added with a forced smile. “I’m going to fix something nice for supper.”
“If you like,” Mrs. Hardy said, but she looked worried.
Violet wasn’t about to tell her the rest, that she’d just agreed to go back to work for Duke Wright. Her former employer hadn’t been able to replace her, and he was overjoyed that she was willing to come back.
The only bad thing was that she’d agreed to be in his office Monday. Now she had to tell Blake Kemp that she was leaving again, and why. It made her sick at her stomach even to contemplate it.
Blake phoned her as soon as he’d pacified his worried client, but Mrs. Hardy answered the phone and said she was sorry, but Violet had gone to bed with a headache. He hung up and went home. But he didn’t sleep.
All night long, his selfishness haunted him. Violet was sweet and kind, and she loved him. He could look for the rest of his life and never find a woman half as honest as she was. Ever since she’d come to work for him, she’d nurtured him, cared for him, to the extent that his heart lifted just at the sight of her in his office. Since they’d become intimate, his body ached for her night and day. He knew that he was her first man, that she wanted no one else. And now she was carrying his child under her heart. After all that, he’d proposed to her only because he felt an obligation, not because he wanted her or his child.
Now, with his mind finally functioning again, he realized what a lucky man he was. Why had it taken him so long to know it?
He got up before dawn and made himself a big breakfast. He was going to the most exclusive jewelry store in Jacobsville and he was going to buy Violet a diamond so big that it would blind her. Perhaps he’d felt trapped into proposing before, but he was only beginning to see what a wise thing he’d done. He was going to make Violet believe that she was the luckiest woman on earth. He’d bring her flowers, take her to the theater, buy her presents. He laughed at his own lightheartedness. He’d never felt so happy.

Violet sat down at her desk, somber and quiet on the following Monday morning. Her demeanor made her co-workers nervous. Especially when she started cleaning out her desk.
Blake walked in the door, smiling.
Violet looked up at him with an expression he couldn’t comprehend.
“What are you doing?” he asked suddenly, when he realized she was putting her things into a cardboard box.
“I’m going back to work for Duke Wright,” she said quietly.
He stood completely still, his mind not working at all as he stared at her, uncomprehending. “You’re quitting, again?” he exclaimed.
She glared at him. “Yes, I’m quitting!”
Mabel and Libby exchanged glances and rose at the same time from their desks. “We’re going over to the bakery for bear claws!” they announced, and ran for it.
“You just came back to work here!” Blake burst out, barely noticing the front door close behind the two women.
“And I’m just leaving!” she said, slamming down a stapler on the desk.
“Why?”
“Why?” she exclaimed. “How can you ask me that? You’re only marrying me because you know about the baby!”
His indrawn breath was all the confirmation she needed.
“Yes,” she said coldly, her anguish in her blue eyes as she looked up at him. “I know, Blake. I heard you talking on the phone.”
Talking on the phone. Talking…His mouth opened as he met her sad eyes. Dusky color tinted his high cheekbones and his teeth clenched. Damn fate for letting her overhear that indelicate conversation with Dr. Lou Coltrain. Why, why, hadn’t he closed the door?
Violet felt her last hope fly away as she saw his guilty expression. He had meant what he said, she thought. He was only marrying her to give their child a name and keep her mother from having a fatal stroke from the shame.
“A lot of marriages start with less than we have,” he said after a minute, choosing his words carefully.
“But we’d have been starting without what matters most, Blake,” she told him. “Love.”
He almost blurted out that she loved him and he knew it. But that would put the last nail in his coffin. He didn’t dare say it.
He drew in a long breath. “I won’t try to stop you,” he said quietly. “If this is what you really want. But I wish you’d reconsider.”
She shook her head. “I don’t want to stay here with you feeling sorry for me and everybody speculating on why.”
“If you leave, you’ll hear plenty of speculating,” he replied with visible impatience.
She turned back to her desk, feeling empty inside. “I can’t stay.”
“Well, don’t expect me to try to stop you,” he replied furiously. “If you’d rather go out there and tell the whole planet that you’re pregnant and you won’t marry the father of your child, be my guest!”
“And that lovely sentiment is exactly why I’m leaving!” she raged. “You aren’t concerned about me, you’re concerned about what people think! Your reputation might be ruined, isn’t that it? You might lose clients!”
His eyes blazed at her. “What about your mother, Violet?” he shot back, seeing the point hit home as she winced. “How is she going to feel when she finds out?”
She bit her lip. “Mama will understand.”
“Think so?” he replied sarcastically. “How about Duke Wright?”
“Excuse me?”
“When you start showing, what is he going to think? And his employees, not to mention his ex-wife!” He glowered at her numb expression. “They’ll think it’s his!”
She gasped. “They…won’t!”
“Bull!”
She glared at him. It was just too much, all at once. She didn’t want to believe what he was saying, but it was the truth. Her face grew redder by the minute.
He glared right back. His eyes narrowed on her thickening waist. His expression changed. He’d never thought of children. At least, not since Shannon’s death. Now, he began to wonder what a child of his might look like. Would it have dark hair like his and Violet’s? Would it have blue eyes? Would it be a boy, or a little girl?
“You look…odd,” she commented.
“I was thinking about the baby,” he said absently, his eyes still on her waist. “I never really thought about being a father. I’ve been alone most of my adult life.”
“So have I,” Violet confessed.
“What do you want?” he asked, meeting her eyes levelly.
She blinked. “I…haven’t thought about that. Not much anyway.”
He moved a step closer. “What would you like to have?”
She was lost in his eyes. “Little girls are nice,” she ventured. “I like to knit and crochet and quilt. I could…teach her.”
His breath caught. A little girl. He thought about Rey Hart’s little girl. The family had come to see him about a minor legal matter and Celina came with them. She was barely six months old, dark-haired and fascinating to Blake. He’d watched her like a hawk, noting that Rey was a pushover for his daughter, to his wife Meredith’s amusement. The same could be true of Judd Dunn and Christabel’s twins. Everyone in town was indulgently amused at how easily a tough guy like Judd Dunn was reduced to putty when he held those babies.
“Little girls are nice,” he agreed softly.
“But I wouldn’t mind a boy, either. I like baseball and soccer,” she continued. “I can still bat and catch and kick.”
He smiled. “So can I.”
Her face fell as reality came rushing back. “You don’t really want a child, Blake,” she said sadly. “You’re doing the right thing, offering to marry me. But it wouldn’t work.”
“You don’t know that,” he said. “A lot of couples start out with less than we have. I said some stupid things on the phone, and you heard them. But I’m still in the early stages of this. You’ve had time to think about the baby. I haven’t.” He stuck his hands in his trouser pockets. “I don’t react well to change,” he said flatly. “I have to have time to work through what it’s going to mean.”
Violet sighed worriedly. “Yes, but you’d feel trapped.”
He shrugged. “Honestly, maybe I do, a little,” he confessed. “But that’s temporary. I just need a little time, Violet.”
“I know that. So do I.” She turned and went back to her desk, to the box she was packing up. “Duke’s willing to let me come back. I’m going. In a few weeks, when you know what you want, we can talk.”
“In a few weeks, you’ll be showing, Violet,” he replied shortly.
She turned. “I’m plump,” she said without heat. “I won’t show for a while.”
“Plump.” He smiled gently. “Womanly is a better adjective. You look lovely.”
Her eyebrows arched.
“I’m not trying to win you over,” he said when he saw her expression. “I actually mean it. There are a lot of things about you that I like. Besides, the cats like you.”
“Does that win me points?” she ventured.
He chuckled. “They don’t like many people. And they attacked a pizza delivery guy one night, one cat climbing up each leg. I have to pay extra now to get him to come back. And I have to promise to lock up Mee and Yow before he pulls into the driveway.”
“Ouch.”
“It could have been the anchovies, I guess,” he said in hindsight. He eyed her quietly. “All right, if you’re determined to leave again, I won’t stand in the way. But you have to do some thinking yourself. The person we both need to consider is the baby. He, or she, has no choice at all about this.”
She grimaced. “I didn’t think about…precautions.”
He smiled slowly. “We were both a little preoccupied. Both times.”
She flushed.
He laughed. “It was very good. I imagine I could search for the rest of my life and never find a woman who suited me so well, physically.”
She shrugged. “I thought men could find pleasure with anybody.”
“So they say. But I’ve stopped looking.”
The way he was looking at her made her toes curl in her shoes. He seemed to be genuine about his feelings. But he didn’t love her. And she did love him. It would be a poor match.
“I plan to call you, often,” he said. “I’m giving advance notice. Don’t think because I’m agreeing to let you leave, that it means I’m giving up on you. I’m not.”
Her eyes widened. “Oh.”
“And I’d prefer it if you didn’t tell your mother we’re having problems,” he added. “She doesn’t need any more upsets.”
“Yes, I know. I won’t tell her,” she agreed, her head bent over the box.
“There’s a rumor that Duke’s wife may be coming down with their son, for a quick visit,” he added. “It may be for legal reasons, but I think she’s heard about the new lady vet who’s working for Wright.”
Her eyes twinkled. “Jealousy?”
“Who knows? But it would be nice if they could patch up their differences. A child needs two parents,” he added firmly, and he wasn’t talking just about the Wrights, Violet guessed.
“Yes. A child does need two,” she agreed.
He moved forward and picked up the box for her. His eyes were solemn. “I should have gone with you, the afternoon you left sick,” he said unexpectedly. “I was going after you when the phone rang and I had to placate a frightened client.”
“You were?” she exclaimed, surprised.
“I was. Open the door.”
She did, and he followed her through to the outside.

She eased her mother past the fact that she was going back to work for Duke Wright with a simple explanation—she and Blake weren’t getting much work done staring at each other, so she was solving their problem until they got married and settled down.
Her mother gave her an odd look, but she smiled and let it go.
True to his word, Blake called Violet every day. She was shy at first, but he related the day’s happenings and the office gossip, and after a couple of days, it was very nice to have someone to talk to who knew everything that was going on around town.

But then Janet Collins was arrested in San Antonio and charged with the murder of Violet’s father.
As he had when the autopsy results on Mr. Hardy came in, Blake didn’t phone Violet. He went to Duke Wright’s house and delivered the news in person.
Violet’s expression wasn’t easily read. “What now?” she asked slowly, her hands poised over the keyboard of the computer.
“Now she gets formally charged with first degree murder. She’ll be arraigned next Monday in San Antonio.”
“Should Mother and I go, do you think?” she wondered, hoping not. It would be an ordeal to have to see the woman who’d killed her father.
“That’s not necessary,” he replied. “Although your mother will probably have to testify at the trial in order for us to get a conviction.”
“What good will that do?” Violet asked miserably. “It will only upset her. She never saw Janet with my father, anyway.”
Blake held up a hand. “I’m afraid she did,” he replied, watching her expression turn from worry to shock. “She never told you, but she walked in on them in the motel, just before your father collapsed and was taken to the hospital.”
“That’s where police got the trace evidence that linked her to poison,” Violet recalled, still battling shock about her mother’s secrecy all these years.
“Yes, and it was fortunate for us that your mother did walk in on them, because she’s not only an eyewitness, but her very presence shocked Janet into running for her life. In the process, she left behind the glass the poison was in. Her fingerprints are on it,” he added, “although nobody knows that except the crime lab, the police, and me. And now you,” he amended. “There’s more than enough evidence to convict her of murder. Your mother will provide the motive and eyewitness identification that links Janet to the motel room, your father, his bank account and her penniless state. They’ll try to introduce evidence from the previous poisoning of a patient in a nursing home who left her his estate. The old man’s son is more than willing to testify.”
“You’ve been busy,” she exclaimed, when she realized that he’d been investigating the status of the case against Libby.
“I have, indeed.” He slid his lean hands into his slacks pockets, smiling slowly at Violet in a way that made her toes curl up in her shoes.
Harley Fowler walked in with Duke Wright, talking about a bull Harley’s boss, Cy Parks, had bought and sent Harley to transport, when they spotted Blake.
Duke’s big fists curled at his sides. “What are you doing in my house?” he demanded of Blake.
Blake glanced at him with a rueful smile. “Just talking to the mother of my child,” he said, dropping the bomb[ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ][ãÍÐæÝ]l. Just as well, he was thinking, to get two birds with one stone, especially since both men were temporarily single. No way was one of them going to mess around with his Violet.

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ nargis  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ ãÔÇåÏÉ ÕÝÍÉ ØÈÇÚÉ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÇáÑÏ Úáì ÇáãæÇÖíÚ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÑÝÇÞ ãáÝÇÊ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÊÚÏíá ãÔÇÑßÇÊß

BB code is ãÊÇÍÉ