مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
dr_md76 غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : dr_md76 المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

CHAPTER 4

As the serfs were loading up the large wagon with Christiana's things, along with the coveted journals and the *******s of her dowry, several guests had started to arrive at the castle. Most were dressed in elaborate costume and many were surrounded by knights and servant women. And all were more than a little put out at having missed the marriage ceremony. Lord William, however, was able to sooth there feathers with the promise of feast and wine. There was no doubt that food and drink, in this century was right up there on the 'important things in life' list right along side of friends and family.
Nan, Kristy soon learned, as well as four other women would be going with her to Greystone. It amazed her that one person needed five other people to see to their needs. And to think Kristy had thought herself extravagant when she had hired a cleaning lady to come to her apartment twice a week! She then thought of Christiana, and knew the girl was in for a few surprises!
Darian was making it quite clear to the servants that he wanted no more time to be wasted. He turned down Lord William's invitation to stay for the feast and informed him they would soon depart.
Lord William, Kristy thought, looked a little teary-eyed when he enveloped her within his large arms. Kristy felt sorry that she would not have time to get to know this kind man, as she returned his embrace and kissed him softly on his weathered cheek.
It was not going to be a pleasant trip. She should have realized that after she had said her good-byes to Lord William and had started to get in the wagon beside Nan. The moment she'd lifted one foot up, a loud barking voice that could only belong to her 'darling' husband, informed her that she'd be riding at his side. "At his side" of course meant riding on that stupid horse again, only this time there was the strangest saddle she'd ever seen laying across it's backside. A side saddle. And how long had he said the trip was? A half a days ride? That would be REAL comfortable!
She rolled her eyes and shut them for a moment as if to gain strength, then looked boldly up at Darian, fist clinched tightly at her side. "I'm NOT going to ride that horse. I want to ride in the wagon with Nan and the other women." She heard his knights draw there breaths sharply at her defiant words. No one, but no one talked to his earlship in such a way. Unless, of course, they were prepared to die for it.
His jaw was visibly clinched tightly and his nostrils flared at her words. But then something flickered in the depths of his steely gaze. Good God, if all the kings men had backbone such as she was now displaying they would be unbeatable! She, a woman! He did not forget the fact that her boldness was directed against him, mind you, but he could not help but admire her courage.
Then to the utter amazement of his men and to the ladies, he threw back his head and shouted a loud laugh. Then he swung from his stallion and stood before her, staring at her through narrowed lids, his great arms crossed over his chest.
Don't back down, she warned herself. Back down? She wanted to run and hide! Mustering up every scrape of courage that she possessed, she lifted her chin to meet his stare. She couldn't imagine what he would do. Would he hit her, curse at her...Kill...No! Surely not! Jubal! she silently pleaded.
But he didn't kill, hit, or even say one mean word to her, instead, he smiled. It was such a beautiful dazzling smile that for a moment Kristy couldn't seemed to breathe.
He reached for her hand and held it with a tenderness that she had no idea he possessed, and spoke with the refined tone of an English gentleman. "Let me then rephrase my words, my lady. It would me my most profound pleasure, if you would grace me with your lovely presence, at my side, on the long ride to our home."
Kristy didn't answer right away. She was too busy standing there gaping at his smile and his pretty words to utter anything coherent. And she wasn't immune to the large warm hand engulfing her own that seemed to send shock waves to her heart, either.
"Christiana?"
"Oh!" she gushed and then her cheeks reddened as she realized she been staring like an idiot. "I...uh...yes, I'll ride with you." she answered breathlessly. If he'd asked for the moon while smiling at her like that, she would have built him a rocket.
When she turned her back to walk to her horse, she missed the smug smile that thinned the earl's lips. All women were the same. Give them a smile and some tender words and you could bend them easily to your will. And this she-cat was no different. A part of him felt a little disappointment at his easy victory. He had expected and maybe even desired more of her fiery tenacity.
She let him help her mount the mare and after an awkward moment, she figured out just where one puts their legs on the offending sidesaddle. She turned and watched Darian mount also and immediately noticed that his hard-faced mask had been once again been pulled over his features. He looked at his men and didn't even bother to glance her way as he nodded to them to go ahead.
She knew right then what a fool she'd been taken for. Gee whiz, Kendrick! How could you be so dense? Hadn't she learned her lesson with Cory? Now she was stuck riding on a saddle that was clearly not meant for comfort, riding in unfamiliar clothes, draped with a heavy fur-lined cape and doing something she had not done in years - horse riding. All because she had been taken in by his false smile and deceiving words. She was disappointed in herself.
But three hours later, with her butt sore as all get out, her back aching and stiff, her stomach growling unmercifully, she was no longer disappointed.
She was down right angry! Angry not only at herself, but at the barbarian who hadn't so much as uttered two words to her the whole time they had been riding.
"Darian, I know you're in a big anxious hurry, but do you mind if we stopped to eat?" she asked tiredly.
His hooded gaze looked her over and then he replied with a grunt, "We cannot stop. If we are to reach Greystone by nightfall then we must keep moving." He then called out to one of his guard, "Tilden, see that Lady Christiana has something to eat."
The tall fair guard circled around and came riding up beside her as Darian rode on up ahead. "Milady, we have only but bread and cheese with us. I am sorry that it is not a fitting meal for a lady such as yourself but I do hope it will suffice," Tilden replied with a smile, while holding out the loaf and a hunk of aged cheese. He had taken off his helmet and Kristy noticed he was a nice looking guy. Kristy placed him about twenty-seven years of age.
She r turned his infectious smile and took the food he offered gratefully. "It will suffice just fine, er.. .Is it Sir Tilden?"
"You, milady, may call me Tilden. Not only am I one of the earls guard, I have also been a friend to your husband and his family for many years. 1 hope to we shall be friends also," he replied pleasantly.
The anger that she' d been harboring started dissipating. It was just SO nice to talk to a friendly human being. She had begun to think that they didn't exist in this century.
Still smiling, she nodded her head to him and said. "I believe we will be friends, then." After taking a bite of bread she looked back over to the knight and remarked, "So have you known Darian, all your life?"
"Aye, that I have, milady."
She wasn't one to beat around the bush and so she thought she' d get right down to the thing that had bothered her since this morning. "Then maybe you can tell me, Tilden, why is Darian so unhappy? Who was the one that hurt him so badly that he hides behind that mask of coldness and hardness?"
He looked for a moment as if he was surprised at what she asked. "1 am sorry, my lady, but you're words have taken me back a bit. You see, I am often asked how many has he slain, how many villages has he plundered, how many women has he ravished.... but none have ever seen him as being unhappy and hurt."
Kristy swallowed hard. Slain? Plundered? Ravished!? "Uh...Tilden? Does he...uh...ravish women?" she asked hesitantly.
Tilden laughed at her terrified expression. "No, tis only a rumor."
Kristy sighed with relief.
She looked ahead and studied her husband from the back. He was a real hunk-a-rama if she ever saw one. But a very complex one. She couldn't quite understand her intuition concerning him, but she did trust him. There was a goodness buried deep within him that was barely noticeable. But she could feel it, past all his coldness
She turned her attention back to Tilden and asked, "But he is hurting, isn't he?"
"Yes, that he is," his voice weary and filled with worry.
"Why?"
Tilden looked up to find Darian glancing back at him. It was a look that said 'Take your eyes off my wife and get your arse back up here!' A mischievous twinkle lit Tilden's eyes and with a crooked smile he took the soft hand of the new countess and placed upon it, a whisper soft kiss.
A kiss that did not go unnoticed by the earl nor did the pleased smile that lit his wife's pretty face.
Tilden answered her question softly, "That, my lady, is something Darian himself will have to tell you. Now I must return before he embarrasses himself with his jealousy." And with that he returned to his post beside the other guard, Vachel and after a few exchanged words, Darian looped back around to her side.
Without looking over to her he expressed in cold, clipped firmness, "I think that I should make it quite clear to you, Christiana, that you are mine. My property. I have shared many of my things with my men but you can be assured, my lady, that I will not share you." He turned his sharp gray glare to her and warned explicitly, "You would do well to pray to God that not even the thought of betraying me enters your mind. For if I find out that you have taken another man into your bed, you will sorely regret it."
She supposed that she should be quaking with fright as his threatening words but she was not.
What she was, was indignant. "'You will regret it,'" she mocked in a perfect Norman accent. "Is that all you can threaten me with? Surely you can be more creative than that. Let's see..." She paused while dramatically stroking her chin. "How about that you'll cut out my heart and slice it into quarter inch squares and feed it to the dogs. Oh! I know! You will throw me in the dungeon and let me starve to death, while the big rats nibble off my flesh." She smiled teasingly at him but he refused to acknowledge it.
From behind her she heard a choking cough that sounded strangely like a laugh coming from her maid. But the stone wall beside her remained as unreadable as a blank page.
He didn't respond to humor, but he would respond to her defiance. "Okay. If I am to remain faithful to you, then I will demand the same from you."
He snorted good and loud. "You are hardly in the position to demand anything of me. I will do bloody well what I please."
"Are you saying that you'll take up with other women if the urge happens to hit you?" she asked lividly.
"As I have told your father, Christiana, you will be well taken care of. You'll want for nothing. What I do should be no concern of yours. We hardly even no one another," he said with a shrug of his shoulders.
She blinked a couple of times at him not believing what she was hearing. "I'll want for nothing? What if I happen to want a husband who is faithful to me? Do I get that?" He remained silent and she blew out a frustrated breath of air.
That was that. If he was going to be unfaithful to her, then she couldn't allow herself to fall in love with him. That wouldn't be hard, She thought sarcastically. There wasn't much there to love!
They rode side by side in silence for at least a mile, while she mulled over his words and their strange relationship. Then she looked over at his profile.
"I know that we are not in love, Darian, but you are my husband and that bonds us," she spoke softly after much thought. She turned away from his gaze, and lifted her chin with dignity. "I am asking that you remain faithful to me because I know how it feels when you find out that you've been betrayed. I'd rather not have to go through that again," she finished dully.
Darian looked at her skeptically, "You? What would you know of betrayal?"
She didn't miss the pain behind his otherwise flat words. "I know a great deal about it, although you are determined not to believe me. But you've known betrayal, haven't you?" The question was more of a statement of fact. She was surprised when he answered her.
"Aye. I've known it," came his grim reply.
She smiled bitterly. "And you are not going to even give me a chance, are you."
He wanted to. Oh, how he wanted to. He couldn't - wouldn't do it, though. "You are my wife. And I will protect you with my life, but that is all I can offer."
She looked at him with a touch of pity in her lovely blue eyes and whispered as soft as the breeze, "That's sounds real lonely, Earl Greystone."
Again he answered her with his cold silence.
She took a deep breath and spoke with a strong determination in her silky voice. "Well, Darian, the way I see it is that we are stuck with each other. We're not in love. We are total and complete strangers - in more ways than you could know. But we might as well make the best of this situation, and I for one am going to do just that." There. She had said it. The ball was going to be in his court from this point on.
Darian didn't like what he was feeling. It was the same feeling he felt as a boy. The need to want to believe. The need to trust in something.
It was that same need that always lead to hurt, always lead to disappointment.
And there was the other feeling that was coursing strongly through his body. It was desire. He couldn't remember a time when looking at a woman would almost make him break into a sweat. He ached with wanting her, and it was an ache that need not go unmet.
He reigned his horse nearer to her and reached out and cupped her chin in his palm. He gave her a searing look that made her tremble and spoke softly and assuredly, "Tonight, my wife, you will truly belong to me. And believe me when I tell you that there is no other woman that I wish to share my bed with this night. Only you. That is one promise that I intend on keeping... and enjoying." He then withdrew he hand and turned his attention back to the road.
Kristy tried her best not to look shocked but she was. Somehow she had unconsciously forgotten about that. She closed her eyes and tried to calm her nerves.
A twenty-year-old girl who was still a virgin, living in New York City, was a rare thing indeed. But Kristy's parents had brought her up with strong moral values. She had wanted to save her first sexual experience for the man she would marry. It, however, never occurred to her that she'd marry someone she didn't know, much less love. And what if she was did go back to the year 1999? Once she gave herself to this man would she be able to leave him forever?
But none of that really mattered. Tonight, whether she wanted it or not, she would share his bed. What Darian of Greystone wanted, he usually got. And Kristy had no doubt that he wanted her.
The brilliant orange sun had just fallen below the horizon, and the sky was beginning to dim as an array of fuchsia, violet and gold hues streaked upon Heaven's canvass. And there on in front of them on a raised plane, was the biggest, monstrosity of stone walls that Kristy had ever seen.
It was quite something for a gal from the good ole U.S. to behold. And this was now her home. She almost smiled when she thought of what Danni's face would look like if she could show her, her new 'house'. But then she remembered that she may never get to show Danni anything ever again and her joy faded.
When they rode into Greystone's vast lands they were met with a resounding cheer. For there all along the rode way were the peasants and serfs of the village all gathered to together in hopes of seeing their new countess and welcoming them home.
It reminded her of the last Macy's Christmas parade she had ridden in. And so she did what came natural and smiled and waved at their friendly faces.
Darian face noted surprise at his wife's actions. She was waving and greeting the serfs as if they were all long lost friends and, he noted, that they all wore expressions of complete awe of their beautiful countess. He nearly called out at her that she must not appear to friendly to the commoners but then he stopped himself.
He realized that she was not trying to be on their level, rather she was showing them that they were her people now and that she cared about them. He felt a shot of pride of his young bride. And it made him rest a little easier at having to leave her on the morrow. It would only be for seven days and he was sure that she would be all right.
When they reached the castle bridge, Darian dismounted and help her down from the mare. His firm touch at her waist spread awareness through her. But he didn't linger. As soon as she was on the ground he grasped her elbow and led her into the castle.
The great hall was somewhat similar to that of Cranbrook but on a larger more lavish scale. Yards of purple velvet edged with golden ropes draped elaborately on the castle walls. Great pieces of fur were strewn like rugs over the cold stone floors. Several large, wooden tables were placed strategically around the room to accommodate the many that dined and entertained there.
And there, hanging above them, was a large chandelier that contained so many candles that Kristy couldn't image how they accomplished lighting them all. The other source of light came from the fireplace at the back of the hall and hanging above it was the portrait of man that was devilishly handsome and looked remarkably like her new husband. Only there was something different about this man's face. There seemed to be a twinkle in his eyes and a mischievous grin danced about his full lips.
If the artists rendering of the gentlemen was a true one, this man had probably been quite the rogue, albeit a very happy and ******* one.
That's where Darian and the portrait differed. He possessed no happiness or *******ment. In their place was cold indifference.
"Darian!" came a happy, female cry from up above them. Kristy lifted her eyes to the top of the staircase that led into the hall and there she saw a golden haired young woman quickly descend the stairs, a wide smile lit her beautiful features.
She looked over to Darian and couldn't believe her eyes. She saw warm a smile on his face and his body relaxed its normal ridged stance.
"Sidra..." he murmured softly as the golden beauty threw herself into his arms and planted a kiss right on his lips.
Sidra leaned back and smoothed her dainty hand over Darian 's rough cheek and spoke lovingly to him, "Oh Darian, I didn't think I would ever so your handsome face again. When they told me you had come and gone before I arrived home, I was in tears!"
Darian clasped the hand that caressed his face and squeezed gently, "Did they not tell you that I would be gone but only for a day? King Richard himself could not stop me from seeing you, my Sidra. You should know that."
She looked at him doubtfully and retorted, "He kept you from me for two years!"
He folded her in his embrace once again and relented, "That is true, only it was also my wish to be there."
"Now tell me how have you been since Father and Aron's deaths. Were you here when the attack came? I thank God that you were not hurt also."
A sad expression crept into Sidra's light gray eyes and shook her head, "Nay, I was not here or I fear that I would not be here with you now. It has been difficult, but I am doing better every day that passes."
Kristy stood frozen where- she was as she witnessed this very touching scene between the woman and her husband. She didn't know whether to be outraged or not. Hadn't he told her that he wouldn't be faithful?
Sure. But she had never - in a million years - imagined that he had a mistress already set up in his castle, waiting for him. And how dare he flaunt her in front of his men and the servants!
Kristy folded her arms and cleared her throat as loudly as she could. If this woman was bold enough to throw herself at him while his new wife was standing right by him then she could darn, well let her know that she wasn't going to take it.
Sidra's head turned toward her at the sound of her cough and a shy smile arose on her lips. "Forgive me for my rudeness, my lady." the woman apologized much to Kristy's surprise. Then grasp her hand. "You must be Darian's new bride, Christiana. I am Sidra."
Kristy didn't do anything but stare at the woman for a few seconds with a dumbfounded expression. What kind of woman was this? Had she no shame? Her questioning gaze tore away from Sidra and sought out Darian's.
A sardonic eyebrow lifted as he started to understand just what was going through her mind and answered her confusion with a dry tone, "Christiana, Sidra is my sister."
Kristy's eyes widened and a pink tint began surfacing on her smooth cheeks. "Oh...Oh! I didn't know.... I mean...You have a sister?"
Sidra looked back at her brother with hands on hips and chided him, "Darian! What have you said to this poor girl that would make her even think that I could be anything other than your sister?"
He just shrugged and looked uninterested in her question. Sidra narrowed her eyes at him and then looked back to her sister-in-law. "I can well imagine that you have been exposed to my brothers 'charming' personality." She rolled her eyes at him then took Kristy's arm. "Just pay him no attention and don't let him scare you. His bark is much worse that that of his bite! Now let me show you up to your room and get you all settled in." They started up the stairs.
"Make sure that you put her in MY room, little sister. Christiana will share my bed, tonight and every night that I am here." he emphasized.
Sidra sent her brother a look and said, "I think we all well understand your point, Darian." Then to Kristy she laughed as she shook her head. "Men!" Then bounded on up the staircase.
After the ladies disappeared from sight Darian settled himself into a large arm chair and took a big gulp of ale from the fancy gold dipped mug. He turned his attention to the tall graying knight at his side. Will was one of the castle guards and had been present the night that Greystone was attacked.
"Will, have you had any news from the inquest you have made?"
The middle-aged guard looked thoughtful for a moment and replied carefully to his lord. "Lord Darian, the men have found something on the boundaries of your land that could prove to be the answer that we have been seeking."
Darian sat up quickly in his seat and looked expectantly at Will. "What have you found."
"This, my lord." Will took a folded black cloth from his tunic and carefully unfolded it to reveal within its folds a golden dagger. Darian took it carefully and ran his fingers along the blade and up onto the jewel encrusted hilt. When his finger and eyes reached the end they immediately stopped their search.
His eyes were like splinters of glass and his face, hardened as he quickly identified whose crest the dagger bore.
"Worthingham," came the chilling answer.
It now made sense. It made sense that even though his father and brothers were killed, along with a great deal of their guard that Greystone had not been captured, nor had anything been stolen. They were looking for something...someone. And Darian felt a dread in the pit of his belly as he realized just who Worthingham had been after.
His sister. Sidra.

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 15-03-07, 12:02 AM   المشاركة رقم: 7
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
التسجيل: Jan 2007
العضوية: 20696
المشاركات: 305
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: dr_md76 عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 10

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter 5

Sidra led Kristy into the large elegantly decorated room that was to be her new bedchamber. The furniture was large and bulky but the intricate carvings that were evident in every piece kept in from being gaudy.
"This was my father's chamber," Sidra told her with a little sadness lingering in her voice, "Darian has only recently moved into them, so I would imagine that you can change anything you would like to. in here."
Kristy smiled at her new sister and said, "I can't imagine what I would change, as it is a feel a little like Cinderella must have felt when she walked into that ballroom."
Sidra looked at her strangely, "Who's Cinderella?"
Kristy laugh, "No, I guess you wouldn't have heard of her, yet. Cinderella is a story that I read once.
"So, you were taught to read, also! Good. I have shall have someone to share my books with." she exclaimed sounding quite pleased at this new information. Then that strange light appeared once again in her eyes and she ask her a question, "Kristy, why do you have such a strange accent? I don't believe I have heard it before."
Oh, boy. Here we go, again! "Sidra, If I told you I'm not sure that you would believe me. No one else has, so far."
Sidra, who was always one for a mystery, looked at her anxiously with a gleam in her gray eyes, "Oh, tell me. I will believe you."
Kristy let out a sigh, walked over to the fur covered bed and plopped down wearily on it's softness as she thought out carefully just how she was going to explain her story. "Sidra, have you ever made a wish for something -maybe because you were feeling sad, and you wished you could be someone else?" she asked and saw Sidra nod her head sadly. It hadn't been too long ago.
"Well, that's just what I did, last night. And…my wish was granted," she said slowly and carefully. Hoping to make her understand.
She did. "Are you trying to tell me that you are someone other than Christiana of Cranbrook? But that's impossible!" She looked at her with unbelief.
Kristy looked at her intently, feeling a desperate need to make her believe. "I know it's sounds that way - I don't know if I could believe it if it were the other way around. But, Sidra, if I am not telling the truth may God strike me down !" She saw Sidra hesitantly lift her eyes, heavenward, thinking God would take her up on it. "I am from the future, the year 1999. I come from a country that no one in this century has discovered yet. I made a
wish that .1 could be someone else...someone's wife. Christiana made a wish that she could be someone else also, because she didn't want to marry your brother. Because we look alike, we were both granted our wishes. Now, I am here and she has taken my place."
Sidra wore a confused expression, her brows were knitted together as she pondered all that she had just been told. Was Darian's wife mad? Looking at her she didn't think so. Could she be making this up to get away from Darian? She didn't know. But she couldn't help feeling that this girl who was just two years younger than herself was telling her the absolute truth. But that truth was preposterous!
"Christiana...or what is your real name?"
"Kristy Kendrick."
"Er...Kristy..I truly want to believe you but I find it so hard to do...." her voice trailed off to a whisper.
Kristy got up from the bed, wearing a tired smile and went over to Sidra and took her hand. "Maybe you can believe me better, once you have gotten to know me. I can promise you I am not crazy or mad so please don't be afraid of me now that I have told you this." As she said this she could feel Sidra relaxing. "I have married your brother and though we are strangers I promise you that I will be a good wife to him. Maybe this is my destiny. Maybe I had to go back in time to find my real purpose in life. Whatever the reason, I am here. And I would like very much to be your friend." She chuckled to herself as she looked at her vast surroundings and replied with a mock gravity, "I think that I am going to need your help. How do you people clean this place, anyway!"
Sidra laughed and went over to hug her new friend. "Of course we shall be friends and as far as how the castle gets cleaned, I would not know. But together maybe we can figure it out!" She linked her arm though Kristy's and walked over to the trunks that had been brought up. "And mayhap you and I shall find some time for you to tell me about this strange place that you come from, eh?"
Kristy looked down at the petite lady and smile gratefully at her while giving her arm a squeeze. "I would very much like that." Then they called for Nan and began the process of moving her into her new home.
Darian wearily mounted the stairs on route to his chamber, his new found evidence laying heavily on his mind. He would have to deal with this matter as soon as possible, but how? He had been ordered to leave for London and he knew he there was no way around it. King Richard had heard that Prince John, his brother, had been stirring up trouble and Darian was to meet with the traitorous prince to make sure that all was well or, more to the point, make sure that he knew that he was being watched...closely.
His face grew grim when the King's huge frame filled his thoughts. He loved the king like a brother and would die to protect his liege lord, but he did not agree with Richard's constant absence from his throne. Not when his greedy brother was wielding every trick to gain the highest title. John would only bring England to ruin, that Darian was sure.
He sighed and ran a callused hand through his dark locks. Worthingham would have to wait. But with his sister here at the castle, she was surely in danger if Worthingham found out she was here. As much as he hated it, Tilden would have to stay behind to watch out for Sidra. He needed his friend on this journey into London but his trusted knight would serve a better purpose here. Tilden would see no harm came to her, that he was assured of.
There were other things, however, that he was not so assured of. He thought gravely as he reached his chamber door. And his wife was definitely high on that list.
He had been baffled by the jealousy flashing in her blue eyes, this evening when she had seen Sidra. And today on the journey she had sworn to him that she'd be a good wife to him. Why? All he had demanded was that she be faithful to him, yet she seemed insulted that he would not swear the same.
He never fully understood women, and this woman was most certainly a mystery to him. Christiana, with her strange accent and her defiant ways. She was unlike anyone he had ever met. And, by God, she showed no fear of him even when he had threatened her. Nay! Instead she had turned his warning around and teased him with it!
He shook his head and put his hand to the gold dipped handle on the chamber door. He hesitated. He, Darian of Greystone, the feared knight of the king, the one who had brought men to their knees with only a cold piercing look from his hard gray eyes, the one who hadn't thought twice about drive his blade through the heart of his enemy while staring unremorsefully in their eyes as they cried out for mercy. He, Darian the Barbarian, as his countess so aptly put it, was actually feeling uncertain about what waited him on the other side of the great door.
With an impatient breath he push open the door, letting it swing and give a mighty smack against the wall.
His gray stare met with his wife's wide startled ones as she sat in a chair with her maid behind her, in the middle of the room. Apparently she had just donned the silky, very revealing nightgown and Nan was plaiting her long dark hair.
Kristy quickly regained her composure and her blue eyes turned fiery. "Good Grief, Darian. Do you always enter rooms like that? Or do you just enjoy scaring the wits out of people?"
Darian stood still in the doorway and ran a heated gaze over the transparent nightshift. He look pointedly at Nan and rasped out, "Leave us."
Nan looked nervously down to the half-way finished braid and held it up helplessly while mumbling, "But, my lord, her hair....."

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 15-03-07, 12:07 AM   المشاركة رقم: 8
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

"''Tis not important. I ask you now, madam, to leave - NOW!" He grasped the door impatiently and held it while the frightened ladies maid quickly exited.
As he shut the door, Kristy stood up and planted her fist on her slim hips and huffed. "Was that necessary? Really, Darian, you're not very nice at times. You need to work on that!" she scolded him.
He gave her a searing look while he begin to remove his tunic and replied in a low tone. "The only thing that I want to work on this night, my lady, is you."
She felt herself pale at words and found she had no quick comeback. "Uh…oh!"
"Ah, you understand what I am asking for?" he asked huskily as he came and stood closely before her and began fingering the ribbon ties at her throat. "I want you and I will have you. I need not speak pretty words for that to happen. Nor do you need my words to make you want me in return, my lady. Do you..." he trailed off to a whisper as he ran his hand between the loosened laces and pressed them against her chest. He could feel the quickened beat of her heart and the fast rise and fall of her breath.
Kristy knew that she was trembling. Knew that HE knew. But she could not stop it. She couldn't move. Her mind willed it, but her body refuse to comply. It wanted his touch, it crave his warmness. Not even Cory had made her feel such abandonment.
She composed herself enough to squeak out, "Can we talk about this?" Her face wore a pleading, hopeful expression.
"Nay." The answer was short and to the point. No arguing that tone.
"Oookay," she drug out. Was it getting hot in here? His lips had moved to her lips.
She groan as she open her mouth under his and responded his to his movement, their tongues wielding together fervently. She had been kissed many times in her lifetime by a dozen of so guys but never, never like this.
She gave an impatient cry as he tore his lips from hers and gripped the sides of her face with his strong hands and forced her to look at him. His eyes narrowed and his voice was accusing. "Why is it that I do not doubt that you have done this before."
She at first didn't understand his sudden anger and she answered him, "Yes. I have kissed before..." but stopped when she saw his face harden and close. "Darian, I've kissed but I've never been with a man, not intimately," she replied honestly, hoping that he would believe her.
But Darian believed in no one. He lifted her up, non-too-gently, and dumped her on the furs that covered the massive bed. "We shall see if you tell the truth. We shall see, Christiana, whether I, indeed, married a lady or in truth a whore!" His voice was seething with malice. His countenance was even more cold, more grim, than it had been before.
She immediately scrambled out of his reach and out of the bed. Fire was blazing from her eyes as she rounded the bed and glared at him. "You just try to hurt me, buddy and I promise, you'll regret it!" she threatened in a low growl. She knew what she was doing…sort of. Now was the time to see if those judo lessons had been worth her money.
He came at her picture perfect. A class example if there ever was one. One moment he was standing up, the next, he lay flat on his back.
He could do nothing but blink at her in disbelief.
She swallowed and pretended that she was perfectly calm and cool. "I warned you."
For one terrifying moment she honestly thought he was going to get up and hit her. But the next moment, he started to laugh.
"By all that is holy, I have married crazy woman! I try to seduce her and she tries to kill me." He said almost to himself, in between chuckles.
She noticed he was moving stiffly as he got up from the floor and she felt guilty. "Did I hurt you?" she asked hesitantly.
He merely quirked an eyebrow at her. "You insult me, lady. The only reason that I ended up on my backside is that I underestimated you. Believe me that it will not happen again!" he said with assurance mixed with loads of arrogance.
She snickered. "Wanna make a bet?"
"Aye!" he said with a knowing smile. "What will I get if I win?"
She thought about that and then thought about the odds. "You get me."
He smirked. "I get you anyway."
"Willing and cooperative."
He thought about that and smiled. "And if by some miracle that you win…" he prompted.
"Then we wait." He frowned at that, but she went on. "We get to know one another first. You know, spend time with one another." He still frowned. The man was dense. "For at least a few days," she finished with a sigh.
He shrugged. "It matters not. I will win."
She took a deep breath. "So…come on and we will see!"
Kristy wasn't quite sure if she could do it, again. The man was huge, and he'd be ready this time. But she stayed focused and…
BAM! She did it!
Darian just shook his head in disbelief. "I cannot believe that you did it to me again."
Kristy breathed a sigh of relief. "I win."
He grimaced. "Aye, I suppose that you do," he grumbled as he pulled himself upright and off the floor. He let his eyes make a slow sweep down her body. His voice and eyes were full of regret when he next spoke. "Are you sure that this is what you want?"
With those smoldering eyes looking at her that way, she wasn't so sure! But no. She had to stick to her guns. It was better this way.
Although…there was this teeny tiny little voice…way deep down…that reminded her that they WERE married.
It's better this way, she scolded herself.
"Yes, it's what I want," she told him.
He studied her a moment more. "What I accused you of…earlier. Am I wrong?" he asked her with all seriousness. She knew that her answer was very important.
"Yes, you are wrong, Darian. I've never been with a man before. It was just you that made me react so," she assured him.
Suddenly his countenance grew dark again and he swung his eyes to the bed. "I like this arrangement, not," he stated grimly.
She folded her arms and smirked at him. "You'll get over it."
He glared at her. "Words are put together strangely, yet I kin their meaning quite clear. You speak much boldness for someone who is unmatched in every way."
She laughed (not a smart thing to do) and said, "It wasn't me who was thrown on the floor."
The next thing she knew she was flat on her back, lying on the bed, and the Incredible Hulk was atop of her. "Now, just who is on their backs, hmmm?"
"You win," she squeaked out. "Now get off."
"Nay!"
She blinked at his answer. Then blinked again when she felt his body respond to her. His eyes were no longer angry, but smoldering with desire. He was a hair's breath away from her lips. "This bargain was made with haste. Tell me I do not have to honor it."
Tell him, you nitwit! one part of her screamed. Heat enveloped her body and a yearning swept through her soul like never before. But she was not ready for this. She'd only claimed to be in love with another man just last night. Her body wanted him, her head told her to go for it, but her heart would not let it be so.
Regretfully, she shook her head. "I must insist that you honor the bargain, Darian. It is better this way."
He growled as he lifted his body from hers and stomped about the room gathering his clothing. "Be it that I was a more dishonorable man! Then what would you do, Christiana? Other men would have taken you and been done with it."
It was the testosterone that was talking, she tried to remind herself, as her irritation grew. But he did have a point. She was in a different time. A time that held none of the social morals of her society. She was his wife. He had every right to take her.
Thank God, she had taken those Judo classes!
"I do appreciate..." she started to say but was interrupted.
"Nay! I do not want your appreciation. It is not appreciation that will keep you warm on the nights that I will be away. We have only this night, yet you waste it with a useless bargain." He snorted and stared at her with a disgusted look. "How is it that you plan to keep me faithful, wife, when you give me nothing to keep my attentions at home."
With that last sentence, he stomped out of the room and slammed the door.
"Jubal" Kristy called out to the empty room. She wanted to leave. She hated it here in this dark, unreal world where nothing nor anyone was familiar. She hated the man who called himself her husband. She didn't want to share his life. And she most definitely did not want to share his bed!
But as she had a hard time falling asleep that night, because a constant voice kept ringing in her head saying, "LIAR!"

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 15-03-07, 12:08 AM   المشاركة رقم: 9
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter 6

Kristy awoke with the sounds of Nan busying about her chamber. The slowly sat up stretching arms and trying to get acquainted with her surroundings. Good grief! She was waking up in a different bed every morning! At least, this one was the one she went to bed in. She quickly looked over to the empty space beside her and wondered if Darian had joined her or had he slept elsewhere?
"Good morning, milady! I have your tea ready for you all nice and hot," Nan cheerfully greeted, pushing the cup of steamy liquid into Kristy's hands.
Kristy's nose scrunched up as she smelled the tea and almost gave it back to her. But on a second thought she remembered how it had helped calm her nerves the day before and downed it in a few scorching gulps.
"Uh, Nan… Do you know where the Earl is, this morning?" she asked trying to sound casual.
Nan's eyes grew round and bit down on her lower lip. "My lady… I… the Earl Greystone left for London at first light. I thought you knew!"
Kristy rolled her eyes in frustration. He wasn't kidding when he said he was leaving. What a jerk to just leave her in this strange place! With a frustrated sigh, she raked her fingers through her hair and threw back the furs. "Yes, I knew he would be leaving this morning. I just thought that as his wife, he'd have enough courtesy to wake me and let me know he was leaving, " The grumbled to the servant.
Nan gave her mistress a look of sympathy and tried to sooth her, "Now, now, milady. ''Tis only a short time that ye have been wed. I would expect he will become more attentive in the future."
Kristy snorted unladylike and gave Nan a skeptic look. "I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket! " she retorted sarcastically.
Nan pursed her lips. "I do not understand why, milady, you insist on using that horrid accent. 'Tis not the accent of a lady of your station."
Nan was right. She wasn't Kristy Kendrick anymore (at least not for a while), she was Christiana Maxwell and things might go a little smoother if she started acting like it. She dearly hoped she could pull it off convincingly.
Turning to Nan and smiling she relented as medieval English as possible, "Your right, Nan, sometimes I do get carried away with my theatrics."
"I dare say that I am used to it, milady! Now let's get you into your bath that I have prepared. The Lady Sidra has requested that you join her in the Great Hall this morn so that you may break your fast together," Nan said and led her to the huge tub filled with steaming, rose scented water.
Kristy went down into the great hall and was surprised to see Tilden sitting with Sidra. He got up and gallantly reached to kiss her hand and commented, "Good morning, my lady. I trust you slept well." His voice was pleasant and he gave her the most beautiful smile she'd had ever seen.
"Good morning, Tilden, Sidra. Yes, I did sleep well, thank you." she returned with a smile and sat down beside her sister-in-law.
"1 thought that I would show you around the grounds this morning. Tilden has been so kind as to act as our escort." Her last sentence was spoken sweetly, too sweetly. Kristy was sure that the words were meant to be sarcastic.
Tilden rose a golden eyebrow and gave her a teasing grin "'Tis not so bad to be in my company, Lady Sidra. I can be quite charming when I deem to be."
Sidra gave him a haughty look and snapped. "I have do doubt, but I do not understand the need for an escort. There is naught that could happen to us."
Tilden's handsome face lost it's smile and he said grimly, "Naught that could happen, my lady? 'Tis a short memory you seem to possess."
She let out an exasperated breath. "Indeed, I have not forgotten. But that has passed. Darian is too cautious."
"Darian is concerned for your ungrateful hide!" he growled.
"Then I am surprised that he didn't insist that you lock me in the castle!"
He looked at her humorlessly. "He did. You should be thanking me instead of fighting me, my lady. If I had not convinced him otherwise, you would indeed be a prisoner inside these walls."
She sniffed at him and his smile returned. "No? Ah! You wound my delicate heart, my Lady Sidra," he said mournfully while dramatically placing a hand over his heart.
"I doubt that any woman could do that, Sir Tilden," she threw at him acidly. They held each other's stare for a moment and Kristy was reminded of a showdown between two desperados she had seen in an old western once. The air practically sizzled between them.
"Is this a private war or can anyone join?" she asked, breaking their stare.
Sidra blushed a bit and quickly apologized, "I'm...I'm sorry Kristy. I...you do want me to call you Kristy do you not?"
"Oh, yes. Please do."
"I'm sure that you are completely confused to what we are talking about. You might not have realized that when you married in to this family, you walked right into the middle of our family problems," she said, regretfully and continued.
"When I was born, my father signed a betrothal agreement, binding me to Lord Worthingham's son, Fredrick. Their land borders ours and our families were once close. However, when I reached the age of eighteen, the age I was to marry, my father abruptly called the wedding off, at Darian and Aron's insistence. Fredrick, who was by now Lord of Worthingham, was outraged at the breech of promise. He vowed that he would avenge himself because we had dishonored him."
She stopped and fingered the linen napkin she held in her hands, nervously. "Darian has reason to believe that it was Worthington who murdered my father and brother. He… he thinks that Fredrick will come after me next." She held up her chin and a determined look hardened her features, much like that of Darian's, Kristy thought.
"I do not believe he will come. Surely such an action would be highly foolish for him to do. I am safe and I cannot understand why Darian or you, Tilden refusal to accept it!"
"It is your reasoning that is foolish, Sidra. Worthingham want's revenge and I would not want to find out how he plans to get his revenge once he gets his hands on you!" Tilden exclaimed in a forceful tone. He was angry, it was apparent.
Immediately, Sidra turned from his gaze and put her attention to Kristy. "Well, enough of that unpleasantness! Let me tell you of where I've just come from. My aunt's manor is positively lovely." And Sidra chattered on about her trip and her family. Kristy was disappointed that she didn't get to ask what Darian and his brother had found out, but it would have to wait. She could tell that the subject affected Sidra more than she let on, so she went along with the lady.
************************************************************ *********************************************
Rude awakenings happen to everyone, ever once in a great while. It's to be expected. Two in one day, however, could prove to be real nuisance.
And so it was to Kristy when she learned two important things. Number one: Life in the twelfth century was no picnic. Number two; being a countess in this century did not mean you lay around the castle all day eating bon bons, served from a silver platter.
Apparently Christiana had been taught her whole life of the runnings of a castle and it's estate. She would have been prepared when told the castle looms were not functioning properly, or when asked about the menu for the week and possibly even when a young thief was caught among the serfs and was brought before her.
Thank God, Sidra had been there. It wouldn't have looked too good to appear totally ignorant of the things they were asking of her. After all she was a countess... and should know countess things.
Sidra was now fully convinced that only a foreigner from another time and place would he this unlearned of such duties that were a mere way of life to everyone else,
Then there, of course, was the twelfth century lifestyle. A life that included no electricity, no running water, and for Heaven's sake, no disposable razors! She seriously considered talking the razor that Warrick used to shave Darian's face and risking it on her legs. And panties. The problem about that simple feminine garment was that there were none. They didn't wear them. Hadn't been invented. But itchy stockings had, unfortunately.
And Kristy really missed her toothbrush and her Close-up toothpaste. Not to mention her mouthwash, and the ever essential make-up! She remembered complaining to her sister about having to wear make-up once. Her sister had told her that if there was no such thing as make-up, no one would think you looked ghastly without it. That theory was now being put to the test. As for the toothbrush, she made do using a soft linen towel, water, and a mint leaf for good breath. It wasn't the same, but would have to do.
It all would have to do, until Jubal came and told her she could leave. Then she would resume her career. That is if this Christiana girl hadn't already ruined it by then, and live among all the twentieth century comfort that she had once taken for granted and live happily ever after. It wouldn't be a difficult decision to make. That was what she started the day with thinking, that is.
By the end of the day, and as the next day turned into the next, she wasn't so sure, anymore.
I was still hard and she didn't know how many times she had entered a room and tried to flip on the light switch, but this place was beginning to grow on her. She liked it, even.
Greystone was certainly not without it's charms. And it was hard to stay unattached to a place where the people looked at you as if you were their queen. And in a way she was. She found that she like going into the village and visiting with them, taking interest of the work that they did for the estate. At first they had been surprised at her interest and even a little standoffish. But soon they warmed to her, getting used to her familiarity with them, pleased when she could remember their names.
She had been dutifully informed, by her sister-in-law, that noble persons did not consort with those that were her lessor. That she should always show that she was their countess, carry herself with dignity. And she did, but not to the point of snobbery. She found the servants as well as the villagers did much better work when they were complimented on the skill or their task or spoken a kind word to. It had been the same method her father had used on their farm in Indiana. And as far back as she could remember he never had any trouble with those he employed.
The children, Kristy soon discovered were uneducated, unruly at times and made to work like adults. Whatever trade their parents had, they worked right along with them, their help often times essential to their welfare. Though their was nothing she could do to change this, there was something she could do to lighten it the load
In the mornings, she started gathering the children around her and told them fairytales, sang them songs or showed them how to count. After the first day, not one child missed the rest of the week. Even some of the adults would pause a few minutes to listen to her weave an enchanting story of love, dreams and wishes. They'd often smile to themselves, remembering their own childhood dreams and hopes.
The meals at the castle were surpassingly good. Lamb, venison and sometimes fish were the main courses. They also served a strange bird meat, that, frankly, Kristy was just to afraid to ask it origins!
Their cook was one of the best in England. The king himself had once tried to hire her away. Her combinations of herbs and made food culinary works of art that melted in your mouth.
Th afternoons were spent with Sidra and sometimes Tilden who watched over her sister-in-law like a hawk. Kristy had thought he was more protective of her than was called for, and wondered about his feelings for her. You surely couldn't tell there was an attraction between them on any other score, they quarreled like children over the littlest things.
At night she' and Sidra would sit by the fire in her chamber and she'd tell her of life in the twentieth century. By now Sidra believed her story but sometimes found it difficult to believe some of the things Kristy told her about such things as the airplane and the light bulb.
A big help on learning of the twelfth century, however, had been Christiana's journals. In them she found in precise detail, everything from weaving, to candle making, to the mixing of herbs for medicinal purposes. It seemed a little overwhelming, when she thought of all that she had to learn, but then again she thought just how difficult it was going to be for Christiana to adjust to the American life.
Most of Christiana's passages in her journals were witty and delightful to read. It wasn't until she read of her misgivings about her upcoming marriage that Kristy felt a pang of nervousness.
So far her life her at Greystone has been satisfyingly *******. But would it be that way once Darian return? Would he forever be the hard unfeeling man that kept his heart carefully bound and hidden? Or would he learn to open up and enjoy life again? Would he start to…love her?
Part of her didn't want him to come back, but a greater, deeper part of her missed him. He was due back any day now and she found herself glancing ever so often, towards Greystone's gates, looking for the exquisite gray stallion and the handsome knight that it would carry.
Kristy walked out into the cold crisp air and bound her cloak tighter around her. The young knight, Baldwin was at her side, acting as her escort this morning. Sidra has decided to sleep in and Tilden had business to tend to, so she went without them,
It was midmorning and Kristy perched herself on an old stump and the children gathered around her. There was anxious anticipation of the magic she would shower around them as she told them a fairy tale.
As she began her tale, she was so absorbed in her story that she didn't notice the tall dark man standing back behind the crowd.
************************************************************ ****************************************
When Darian arrived at the castle, he had been surprised to find out that his wife was in the village. Although, he had been met at the castle gate by a guard who spoke, high praises of his new bride and it hadn't stopped there. It seemed everyone had a glowing report or opinion of Christiana, to whom they referred as 'Lady Kristy'. He had been real surprised after Tilden had told of her whereabouts, and that he had the actual nerve to warn him to be understanding with her when he saw what she was about.
Just what was she about? he wanted to know. And just what did Tilden think that he would do to his own wife? My God, did everyone think him a monster?
As he stood behind the throng of peasants, watching his countess sit among those lesser than she, telling them a story of some sort, he still wondered, what the devil WAS she doing?
He shook his head in amazement as he saw the children fall under her spell, not one peep sounding from them. These were the dirty little noisy urchins that were normally screaming and running like wild little things all over Greystone?
Darian turned his eyes back to the one that everyone now called Lady Kristy. God help him if those delicate, refined features didn't fill his dreams at night and plague his mind in the daylight. Her rich dark hair was plaited in a single braid and hung over her shoulder. Wisp of curls had come a loose and framed her face. Her tunic was simple and unadorned in a pale shade blue, a darker blue cloak rested upon her shoulders. The simplicity of her garments only brought out her natural beauty and the blue colors making her eyes shine with exuberance.
He had been a fool to think that he could leave for a week and not give her a thought. He would have accomplished that if he had not held her in his arms. But now the memory of her sweet smell, the taste of her lips, were forever etched like engraved stone in his mind. The once vivid memory of Isabelle, his late wife, had even began to blur, not coming up very often, unclear when it did.
He'd turned down the wench that Prince John gave given him for the night. It wasn't another woman he wanted, needed, it was Christiana...only Christiana. He'd sent the wench away without so much as a look at what she offered. And that made him feel uneasy. He shouldn't let her make him feel this way. Christiana would no doubt crow like a rooster if she knew that he was staying faithful to her.
But it wasn't because he was failing in love with her, nay! He realized it for what it was. He just had to get her out of his system. She was like a mystery to him, a wild, untamed challenge. He would conquer her and tame her to be a quite docile wife. One who know her place and would stay out of his. And after awhile he would grow bored with her. Aye, that would be the way of it.
He saw her gesture with her hands as she spoke. Her voice was like silken thread that seemed to penetrate him to his very soul as she told the story of a beautiful maiden who was kept by a great beauty. How the girl called Beauty had fallen in love with the beast despite his mean countenance and gruffness. Despite the fact that he was frightening to look upon. And how that love had been strong enough to break the spell that bound him and transformed him into a handsome prince....
Love. The kind of love that she spoke of did not exist in real life. Did she think it did? Was this story really about them, she being the one who would break through his hard heart and change him into a new man? If so, then she was a fool and would do well to not even try it.
His bitter thoughts dissipated, however, the moment she lifted her head and met his eyes. For a moment she did nothing but stare, as if she were seeing an ghost. But slowly a smile spread across her face and she stood up and walked over to him.
When the villagers noticed their lord had returned and stood within there midst they quickly went back to their work, acting as if they'd never stopped, the children stood back and stared at him a little frightened. All of which did not go unnoticed by Darian nor Kristy.
"You're back," came her obvious reply as she came, with hands at her sides, looking up at him. She missed him, she realized at that moment. Impossible to comprehend, but she missed this stranger who was her husband.
He looked back at her with an unfathomable gaze and answered,
"Yes."
There was an electrifying silence that hung between them as they stared at one another.
She spoke first, "I'm glad you arrived safely."
"Why?"
"Why? Are you serious?"
He looked at her wide eyes and almost could believe she was sincere. "You could be a very rich women if something were to happen to me."
"You don't get it do you, Darian. 0r is it you just don't want to?" She shook her head at him, with a dry laugh. "I've been rich. Money doesn't make happiness, Darian, and it doesn't take the place of people." She turned away from him and started walking away from him.
For an instant he let her go. Then with a few long strides he was at her side and had a hand on her elbow.
"Tilden has told me you go down to the village everyday. What do you do down there besides tell them stories?" he asked evenly, leaving Kristy to wonder whether he was asking sincerely or not.
She shrugged her shoulders gracefully and answered, "I just visit with them, take an interest in what they are doing. I thought since they do work for us I should at least let them know that I am aware of it and that I am here to help if I can." She was surprised at his next words.
"You have done well." His words were few but she could hear that he was pleased.
She stopped and stared at him, mouth a'gape in mock astonishment. "What? Did you just give me a compliment?"
He looked at her coolly and shrugged, "It was a mere observation."
She began to walk again and he continued beside her. "Of course it was. We wouldn't want it to get out that you were being nice, would we?" she teased and heard him snort in reply.
She kept on smiling despite his coolness. She could feel ho wanted to laugh. There had been just a split second when that ridged mouth has twitch slightly, but she had seen it.
She allowed her gaze to discretely glide over his body as they walked. He was dressed in a dark gray tunic. The laces untied and slightly open at the neck. Underneath he wore a lighter gray under tunic, and his golden mantle flowed from his shoulder, it's edges trim with ermine. Her eyes trailed down and took in his bulging legs covered with the tight hose in the same dark gray as the tunic, his feet and calves clad with black leather boots. The beautiful golden sword swung from his waist, ready for action if the occasion arose.
It was true that if she had seen a man dress as he was, walking down Park Avenue in New York, she would definitely laugh at the sight. But here, in his mode of dress, in this savage century, he fit. And looked darn good, too! She tried to image him in a Dior suit, sipping champagne while mingling at a society party. At that she did laughed! It was way too tame a setting for him!
He glanced at her when he heard the sound of her laugh. "What is it that you have suddenly found so amusing. Christiana?"
"I was trying to picture you in a suit and tie."
He looked at her as if she'd gone mad and she just laughed some more. "You had to he there, I guess!" She spotted Sidra waving at her from the castle door and ran on ahead of Darian to greet her.
Darian watched as she ran to his sister, her dress and cloak billowing out from behind her. Sunshine. The woman was like a ray of sunshine. Laughing at silly things, teasing him, trying to make him smile, playing with children...the list went on and on. He even liked her odd little accent. And it all made him extremely uncomfortable. He didn't want to think of her at all! But he did. God help him, he did.
************************************************************ ********************************************
The day progressed and except for meals spent in the hall, they did not see one another. Darian was please to see that Christiana and his sister had become friends. They seemed to spend much of their time together while seeing over the household duties.
He sat looking into the depths of the ale he held in his hands, Tilden, Vachel and three of his most trusted guards sat around him. The problem of Worthingham weighed heavily on his thoughts, as it had the entire week he had been away. He was immediately relieved to find that Sidra was still safe, that Worthingham had not yet made his move. But he would. And this time Darian would bloody well, be ready.
Tilden spoke, "There is no way to be sure when Worthingham will attack - or if indeed he will attack. Mayhaps he will not risk it. Mayhaps his revenge has been met." He knew that he was hoping against the wind, but they had to consider all angles.
"He will attack," Darian declared with grave certainty. "I've always know the man to be a little mad, irrational at times.... He will not stop until he gets what was promised to him. He will come for Sidra!" He banged his hand on the table, driving home his point, leaving no opening to refute it.
"Then we must plan. He was too clever the last time. The guards never saw him coming. How will we be able to get out the warning soon enough? We cannot keep an army in a constant state of waiting, in the chance that he will attack. He may choose to wait months, maybe even years, as he did before." Vachel reasoned. The usually quiet spoken knight always came alive at the hint of battle. He had a brilliant mind for strategy, and his knowledge and instinct had saved Darian's hide as - well as his men, more than once. Darian trusted him without with his life. If there was a way, Vachel would think of it.
"You have, a plan." Darian knew the look that was in his knight's eyes. He also knew from that look that it involved danger.
Vachel hesitated. "Yes, but I fear that this is one plan you may not heed to… It is dangerous and it is odds are high that something could go awry.
"Stop giving me excuses and tell me the bloody plan!" Darian growled impatiently at the guard.
His eyes never wavered from his lord's eyes and his voice spoke in even tones. "It would involve Sidra acting as our bait…"
"NO!" Darian thundered, coming to his feet. "Have you gone mad! You cannot think that I would risk her life!"
Vachel stood up and confronted him and reasoned, "Her life is already at risk, my lord. There is no other way..."
"There must be another!"
"Aye, there is the plan where we wait. Wait like sitting ducks, not knowing when he will strike. Hoping, praying that we will be ready when he does." He stopped and looked pointedly at Sidra, where she sat in the corner, laughing at something her sister -in- law had told her. "The choice is, of course, yours, my lord." Then he sat down, resigned.
Darian continued to look over to his sister. She looked up, saw him staring at her and smiled at him before turning away. He swore under his breath. What would he do? What was the right choice to make? But, in his heart, he knew.
Sitting back down he looked at Vachel and ordered grimly, "Tell me."

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 15-03-07, 12:12 AM   المشاركة رقم: 10
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter 7

Vachel's plan was unfolded to him. It was of his usual brilliant style - calculating, thorough, detailed. But this time his usual foolproof plan contained a point of concern for Darian…they couldn't be sure of Sidra. How would she react under pressure?
Darian knew that his sister was a strong person, but she was still a woman, with a woman's emotions. Could he count on her to maintain her composure and control?
They had no other choice. That much was clear.
Their plan was a simple one. But dangerous. They would find among their serfs, someone who had family and friends at Worthingham. 'Twould not be difficult since their lands bordered. They would then have the serf spread it about that Lady Sidra would be traveling to London. There was only one road leading there from Greystone, and Worthingham would know it. Soldiers would be following them discreetly and acting as lookouts. But Vachel felt certain that Lord Worthingham would not attack until they made camp between Sherwood Forrest and Bosworth Field.
There, they would wait for him. There, Darian vowed to himself that he would skewer Fredrick Worthingham though with the blade of his sword and enjoy every last cry he made for mercy. There, his father and brother would be avenged.
It was well past the midnight hour when their meeting convened. Christiana had long since retired to their chamber and he knew he would find her asleep. Silently, he let himself into the room and a chill suddenly caught him. He looked over the bed and saw his wife tucked in a shivering ball, the furs around her ankles.
The fire. He saw that there were a few live coals still glowing amidst the ashes, it didn't take long to coax them back to vibrant licking flames, slowly burning the fresh logs he had just added to the hearth.
He padded over to his wife's side of the bed and gently pulled thick furs over her chilled thinly wrapped body. When his fingers grazed her arm, she seemed to relax and turning towards him, she wiggled a little, snuggling deeper into the furs.
Looking down at her features, lightened softly by the firelight, Darian felt an involuntary sigh escape him. His hands at his sides clenched tightly, then unclenched, as if he fought them to not do what they wanted so much to do.
He wanted to touch her. Why was it so overwhelming? Why did his resolve vanish when in her presence? Why in heavens name was he bothering with this unreasonable bargain that she set between them? He must surely be a mad man!
He made a growling noise from under his breath, forcibly turning himself away from her sleeping form. There was, within him, a fight raging. A fight between a heart that he thought was dead and his ever logical brain.
His heart said "Trust her." But his brain warned him not to. And what Darian knew must be the devil whispered in his ear, Trust her not, but there is no reason for you to stay away from her. Her body is yours, you need not deprive yourself of it. She was his, his property. A mere object to use when he pleased and the bearer of his children. By God, he would allow her to be nothing more.
He stripped down to nothing and slid between the covers. As it she sense his presence. She turned her now warmed body toward him and draped a bare arm across his torso and a leg across his leg. She snuggled against him as she had done with the furs just moments ago and he held himself ridged against her softness. But only for a heartbeat. His arms came around her, as if they were meant to, and held her to him.
She meant nothing to him. Nothing…were his last thoughts as he drifted off into a satisfyingly pleasant slumber. In his sleep he didn't know that his hands gently caressed her back or that his lips lightly grazed her forehead or that the hardness was no longer etched on his features, but in it's place there was *******ment and even a little smile.
But she meant nothing to him. Nothing at all.
************************************************************ *****************************
Kristy stirred as the morning light pricked gently at her eyelids, then burrowed deeper into her pillow wishing the morning away. But then she felt another sensation, only this time it wasn't the sunshine.
And she wasn't alone.
It was definitely male, and he was holding her from the back in a spoon position. Upon further investigation, she saw that a huge hairy arm was wrapped across her middle. Think! She urged herself. But how was a gal supposed to think with all this body heat?
She should try to get out of the bed. Yes. That was definitely the first thing she should so. So…she wiggled a little trying to inch her way towards the edge of the bed, but the arm that began to tighten and she found herself closer to him than before!
Okay, she thought, Plan B. Did she really want a Plan B? a little voice seem to chirp in her ear. Well, no…YES. She HAD to get out of this bed before…well…before IT happened! It was too soon!
It called for a plan of action. She would simply remove his arm and get out of the bed. It would wake him up, but so what. They had a bargain. He would honor it…she hoped.
So, she picked the arm up and it clamped right back down. She tried it again. Same thing. She tried a third time, and she couldn't even move it.
She sighed. "You're awake, aren't you."
"Yes."
Great! "Uh…Can you move your arm? I need to get up."
"No."
A man of flowery words, he was not.
"I have to go to the bathroom," she said, trying a different tactic.
"What is a bath room?" he asked, lazily as he began to kiss her shoulder.
"Well, it's a room that you bath in and…you know…go to," she answered feebly. The lips were getting to her.
"Hmmm," he grunted and took her ear between his teeth.
She took a deep breath and tried to breathe normally. "Well…um…as I was saying…I need to get up to…you know…go!"
"Hmmm." His hand began to creep up in dangerous territories!
Panic made her push against his arm again. This time, she caught him off guard and was able to slide off the bed. Quickly she readjusted her gown.
He sighed and rolled on his back. "Christiana, you cannot be so cruel! You are my wife!"
"I am a stranger to you as you are to me! And we had an agreement, you scoundrel! How dare you slip into my bed and…" She stopped for a moment, because her eyes drifted over his torso and beyond to where the bed covers started and realized the full extent of his plans. "You're naked! You were deliberately trying to seduce me!"
He sat up and ran a hand through his dark tresses. "I do not have to seduce my own wife! If I want you, I'll take you!" he raged through gritted teeth.
She opened her mouth to retort, but then closed it. With a smile she asked, "Then why didn't you?"
Darian frowned. "I was trying."
She looked over the bed. "From the looks of it, you slept here all night. What stopped you from just waking me up and having your wicked way, hmmm?"
Darian did not like where this conversation was headed. So he said nothing. He just glowered.
She came around the bed to his side with his arms folded smugly. "I think that you remembered our agreement, and you were too honorable to break it."
"I have always surmised that women think too much."
But he didn't look so irritated anymore. He'd relaxed against the pillows.
"So," she began, "what can we do, today?"
He lifted an eyebrow. "We are doing nothing. I have lands and people to see to. I shall be busy with those most of the morning, then in the evening, I will train with my guard."
"Okay. I'll go with you. It will help me get to know you better," she said happily.
"Nay. You will only be in the way."
"No, I won't she said, as she went to her trunk and began sifting through it, while humming a tune.
A tune that was grating on his nerves. "I will forbid it!"
She didn't even turn around. "Yeah, sure. Whatever."
Somehow, Darian found himself with company, despite his threats and glares. She was not intimidated as she should be. What was wrong with the woman? Did she not know that all women are subject to their husbands. That every word was to be obeyed without question?
Yet, here they were. Strolling over his land together. And despite her promise, she asked question after question, keeping him talking the whole morning. It disturbed him mightily, not that she was talking so much, but that he didn't mind answering her questions.
Together they visited the craftsmen, the smith, and the miller. Then they drifted to one of the cottager's land to settle a problem there.
To Kristy it was such a wonderful morning. She was discovering that her gruff husband, was a man of fairness and honor. The way that he talked to his people, let her know that he was a man who cared deeply for those under his command. He even showed protectiveness towards her. When a dog came running up to her, Darian quickly stepped in its path, shielding her from harm. It had been instinctive and immediate. She wondered if he realized what he had done.
They rested by the lake, during the noon hour and ate their lunch that one of the servants had packed them. There was a nice breeze blowing off the water and Kristy thought that it was the most beautiful she'd ever seen. She also sent a prayer of thanks that she was enjoying it with a man that was becoming less and less a stranger to her, and more and more a friend.
"Well, Christiana, what do you think of Greystone now that you've been here a few days?" Darian asked, once they had finished eating.
She leaned back against a tree. "It's awesome!"
"It's what?"
She looked at him and smiled. "It means that I am in awe."
He studied her for a moment. "You say that as if you've never seen such lands, yet Cranbrook is even more grander than Greystone."
Kristy felt like she was walking in a minefield! "Uh…well…each place is beautiful…you know…in it's own way."
"Hmmm," he answered. He kept his gaze on her, and she tried not to squirm. "You are a strange girl. I don't believe I've ever encountered a woman that displayed such theatrics or boldness as you do."
Stick to what you know, she urged herself, as she answered carefully. "Well, I must take after my mother. She was Scottish and bold as brass!"
"I understood your mother was French," he said evenly. Why was she lying to him again? Would he ever be able to trust her if she'd lie about such trivial matters as this?
She gulped. "Uh…yeah, that's right. She died when I was young. I forget these things. Maybe I always wanted her to be Scott."
He was taken aback. "Why would you want your mother to be kin to those barbarians from the North?"
That hole she was digging was getting deeper and deeper! "Oh, enough about me, let's talk about you," Kristy said with a hopeful expression.
He looked bored and laid back, looking at the sky. "'Tis nothing to tell. I was born at Greystone, fostered at D'Arbenville and have served my king in various parts of the world," he recited.
She looked down at his hard features. "I heard that the crusades were a terrible thing to witness."
"They were even worse to participate in," he said quietly, and Kristy heard the pain in his voice. "By the end, I wasn't even sure that we were fighting for a just cause. But you can't stop to wonder or question when you are in the battle. Stopping will cause your death."
She waited for him to continue, but he didn't. She knew that he'd shared much more than he'd wanted to. So to lighten the mood, she asked, "You know, I've heard stories that a man name Robin Hood lives around these parts. Ever heard of him?"
He looked sharply at her. "How came you to know of this man?"
Jealously was rearing it's green head. Kristy loved it! "I heard stories about him stealing from the rich and giving to the poor."
He relaxed again and shrugged his shoulders. "I've heard something of a bandit that's been stealing from the landowners, recently. But whether, he is giving his proceeds to the poor is a matter that seems entirely unlikely."
"That's just too cool!" Kristy said, thinking that she might be able to see the actual Robin Hood!
"If you are cold, there is a blanket in the bottom of the basket," he murmured, as his eyes drifted closed.
Kristy just shook her head and smiled as he drifted off to sleep. He was truly the most gorgeous man she'd ever seen. Especially in his sleep, since he wasn't frowning or glowering at her. Beside him, Cory, her ex, would look like a wimp…which he was. And Darian was making her forget all about what's-his-face. She couldn't believe that she actually thought that she loved him. Especially when she found herself falling in love with her husband.
And the feelings that she felt for him were so powerful and unlike any other, it left her stunned.
************************************************************ **************************
It was late afternoon and the servants were clearing the dishes from the table. Darian and his men were once again huddled together looking at some sort of map and this time they had asked Sidra to join them.
Kristy cast a glance over at the group and sighed to herself, feeling a little left out. The warm fuzzy feeling that she'd felt with Darian fizzled out the moment they stepped back into the castle and he because the Barbarian, once again.
What were they discussing and how come she couldn't be in on it, too? She thought about trying out that needlepoint that Sidra had been teaching her lately but decided she wasn't in the mood to tackle that. Would she ever be in the mood for such mundane entertainment? It was time such as these that she wished she had her television. A radio would even be nice! She'd been a big fan of country music and missed getting to listen to it everyday.
She got up from her chair and stretched her arms out. She eyed the side door that was slightly ajar. Maybe a little fresh cool air would do her good.
She walked past her husband and was going to tell him where she was off to, but when he didn't so much as lift his head and acknowledge that she stood by him, she sniffed and walked on past him and out the doors. There was a breeze blowing but not too terribly cold so Kristy decided to walk the short distance to the herb garden, beside the tower.
She had only been out there a few minutes, sitting a stone bench, when she heard someone approach. Since she was sitting in the shadows, Percy, Darian's squire and another youth didn't see her, as they strolled along the garden's path.
The youth spoke, "I heard that Prince John was very generous with his gift giving this trip." He snickered. "Too bad his generosity didn't extend to squires."
Percy sent him a sharp look and defend, "Oh, he would have if my lord had not refused it for me." He sighed and went on. "It seems I am never to know what it's like to be with a woman."
"Nay, twill happen. As sure as the sun rises or the flowers grow." They stood in silence a minute longer then Percy chuckled,
"What I would not have given to bed the wench that Darian was given. Oh, she was a beauty for sure. 'Tis no wonder that he looked so tired the next morn!"
As she heard his words. Kristy froze, and for a moment couldn't seem to breath. A pain was forming in her chest and she just barely choked back a sob.
"What a life a nobleman has, eh, Percy? A wife who's beauty outshines that of the moon and the stars, there for whenever he chooses to take her, and women all over England to satisfy him when he is away from the nest. That is the life!" the young man exuberantly exclaimed stretching his arms wide, making his point.
Percy laughed and agreed and together they disappeared within the castle walls.
It was a few moments more before Kristy decided to move from her seat. Her hand pressed against her chest as her breath came rapid and heavy. How dare he. How dare he!
Sure, he had not promised her that he would be faithful. But
part of her would not accept it. How could he be with someone else after just marrying her? Was he that desperate to sleep with someone?
Fool. Fool. Fool! Dear Lord, how could she be so stupid! Angrily she stood up and strode back into the castle doors. Darian still did not even look up, so she brushed past him and up the stairs. There she ran into Warrick, Darian's manservant.
"Warrick, I want all my things moved out of the Earl's chamber and into another room." she commanded him defiantly.
"Mi…milady, I...I cannot! My lord would have my head for such a task..." he stammered, clearly uneasy at her requested.
"Am I not the mistress of this house?" she stormed at him.
"Aye. milady....But..but I cannot. I am sorry, Lady Kristy..." he bowed his head and cowardly retreated down the hall.
She practically growled after him, she was so mad. She went to the chamber and started grabbing up her belongings and stuffing them into a trunk.
Nan came into the room, startled when she saw her mistress furiously throwing things around the room. "Milady! What are you about in such a state?"
Her head came up and a look of relief came into her eyes as she saw Nan. "Nan! Please you've got to help me gather my things. I'm moving out of here and into another room."
"My lady! But...why?"
She twirled around and held up a comb that she had clutched in her hand and waved it around as she spoke. "Because my husband is a no good, unfaithful, adulterous cheat! Now will you please help me?"
So she found out! Nan thought bleakly. "Aye, milady. Just try and calm down. I will have you moved out of this room in no time!" She quickly jumped into action.
Darian looked seriously at his sister and told her, "Sidra, this is a very dangerous thing for us to ask of you. If you do not want to do this, then we will not do it."
She placed a small hand on her brother's arm. "No, Darian. I fully understand and I want to do this. He killed our father and brother, and he must not be allowed to get away with such a dreadful crime. This is the only way."
Darian let out a slow resigned breath and agreed. "Aye, 'tis the only way. But know this Sidra, we will protect you. No harm will come to you if I have to put my life on the line!" he firmly swore to her.
She smiled at him and said, "I know that, Brother, but it will not come to that." She arose and looked around the table at them all, "Now if you will please excuse me, 1 will retire."
Tilden watched her walk out of the great hall and hurriedly dismissed himself also.
He caught up with her in narrow stairwell. "Wait! Sidra!"
She turned seemed surprised that he had followed her. She folded her hands across her chest and said wearily, "What is it, Tilden. I am not in the mood to spar cross words with you this night."
He stood on the step below her causing them to be on the same head level. He took her arm softly and looked at her like she'd never seen him do. "Don't do this, Sidra. Tell Darian to find a decoy and keep you out of this."
She looked at him questioningly and ask, "Why Tilden? What should it matter to you!"
Her eyes widen and her breath became short when he lifted a hand to softly caress her cheek. "It matters, my Lady Sidra. It matters…" His lips fastened on hers, tender yet forceful.
Sidra was frozen with shock. Finally she began to regain her wits and push him away. "Tilden, you must not! I did not know..."
"That I felt this way about you? Nay, I cannot believe that if you would think about us, how we've been whenever we were in each other's company, that you could deny knowing the truth." His hand was still caressing her cheek.
A touch that seemed to make her tremble. "But we've done nothing but fight..."
"We spark, my lady. Can you not see that our arguing only stems from our frustration that we are not doing what we long to do? And that is to be in one another's arms." His voice was low and raspy. His eyes seemed to be looking into her very soul.
"No!" she tried to retreat further up the stairs.
"Yes!" he answered catching her hand and hauling her into his arms. His lips crushed upon hers once again, coaxing, urging her to respond.
And respond, she did. Kissing him, she realized, is what she'd always wanted to do. That spark that always sizzled when they were together, grew into a full blown flame as they touched. Why, why had she not seen it…realized it before?
But maybe, she had known and refused it because their loving each other simply could not be.
"No!" she cried and wrenched her lips away. "Oh, Tilden. We cannot! I can never belong to you!"
He folded her back into his arms, clutching her cheek to his chest. "I know that, my lady. But my feelings could not be hidden any longer. Not when you may be walking into danger." He pull her from him so that he could look into her face. "I love you, Sidra. I have loved you since you were ten and six, maybe even earlier. I could not bear it if something was to happen and you ended up in the clutches of Worthingham. Please, my lady, please tell Darien you cannot go," he pleaded.
Tears formed in her eyes and she closed them tightly. She felt torn, confused. "I have to, Tilden. This is something that I must do," she stated firmly, then opened up her eyes and looked into his, allowing the tears to flow openly. She brought her palm up to his face and cradled his jaw. "Why Tilden? Why did you have to make me aware of your feelings…aware of my own, it was easier when we just ignored what we felt. How can we go on as if nothing has happened?"
"I know not, my Sidra. I know not..." This time it was she who sought his lips. It was like tasting of forbidden fruit, she knew, but she could not help herself, it was unfair that she a daughter of an earl, would not be permitted to marry a landless knight. So unfair.
Footsteps within the stairwell broke them apart. "It's Darien!" she whispered frantically.
He pushed her gently away from him and nudged her up the stairs, "Go, 'tis alright."
Tilden turned and retreated down, meeting Darien close to the bottom. "Tilden!" he said in a surprised tone. "Is something amiss?"
Tilden evaded his curious stare and replied quickly. "No, tis a matter that I had to discuss with the Lady Sidra, that is all."
Darien cocked an eyebrow, wondering whether that was a flush on Tilden's face or the light from the torch mounted along the wall. "I see." He really didn't.
"Well…goodnight, Darien.." he brushed past him, as if he were trying to escape him.
Now Darien was really curious. "Goodnight..." he answered but Tilden was already out of sight.
Shrugging his shoulders he climbed the rest of the steps and pushed open his chamber door, tired but eager. He thought about all the time he'd spent with her. Surely that was enough! Surely the bargain was fulfilled and she would, at last, come to his bed!
He suddenly stopped. "What the devil..." he swore in puzzlement as he looked at the room that was in disarray. He looked over to the bed and found it empty. "Christiana!" he growled and went over to the dressing room and yanked opened the door.
Empty. This time it was louder, "CHRISTIANA!" He slammed the door and stormed out into the hallway.
"Warrick!" he bellowed, his voice practically shaking the castle walls.
The skittish servant appeared quickly and stammered, "Yes…Yes, milord?"
"Where is she? Where is my wife?" he yelled at the man gripping his arm painfully.
"I suppose she has move..moved into a..another room, mylord. She…she asked for my help, but I, of course, refused!" he explained rapidly gaining confidence at the end.
Darian shoved his way past the servant and went to search for her, himself. He went to the first closed door he found and started banging on it. "Christiana, open this door!"
No answer.
"By God, woman you open this door or I'l1 knock it down. You will not lock me out!"
No answer.
No woman was going to gain the upper hand on Darien Maxwell! And she better bloody well start realizing it!
He backed away from the door and then charged toward it nearly knocking it off it's hinges. He pushed his way into the darkness and realized he couldn't see a thing. Retreating back into the hall he grabbed a candle from the wall and stomped back into the chamber.
It was empty. Nothing but sheets draped the furniture, the bed was stripped, the room cold.
He had burst into the wrong room,
From the end of the hall he heard a discreet little cough. He turned towards the sound and found his wife in the doorway of another chamber, arms folded across her chest, a droll expression on her face.
"Looking for something, Darien? Me, perhaps?" came her taunting reply.
He set his lips into grim line and, his jaw clenched tightly. "What is the meaning of all this? What game are you playing now, Christiana?" he barked at her.
She smiled bitterly and gave him a cold look. "I'm not sure. Right now all I see is a mean, lowdown, dishonorable, scheming, adulterous BARBARIAN!" And with that, she slammed the door in his stunned, gaping face.

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة