مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
dr_md76 غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

كاتب الموضوع : dr_md76 المنتدى : الارشيف
افتراضي

Chapter six

He turned the van north and found he was in front of Barbara's place. On sudden impulse, he pulled the van into the empty parking space and shut off the engine. Just because she had a thing for him didn't mean he had to behave badly, did it?
"Paul?" Barbara opened the door on his first knock. "You. I've been trying to get you over here for months and now you show up."
Jack stepped inside, muttering, "Do I have to hear Paul's name everywhere I go tonight?"
"What about Paul? Do you know where he is?" She examined Jack suspiciously as if he were the cause of her troubles.
"If you'll stop glaring at me, I'll tell you where Paul is."
"Oh, all right. I apologize. But admit it, you turning up here is a shocker."
He chose to ignore her remark, "Paul is with Monica. Seems he had something important he wanted to discuss with her. Any idea what that would be?"
"I might have known that he would go running to her," she said, turning away, but not before Jack saw the anger in her eyes.

Chapter Six: Part Two

"And you thought you would come here and make do with me. Is that right, Jack?" He ignored the outburst about Monica. After all, Monica was, well, Monica! There was no reason for it, but he could understand Barbara being jealous.
"Let's call a truce, shall we? I had no such thought in mind when I came here."
For the first time Jack noticed her red-rimmed eyes. "Look, Jack, I know I have behaved badly in the past. I guess after Roy left I just needed to feel that somebody cared, needed to feel attractive again." She stopped and gave Jack a resentful look before continuing, "Although you weren't much help on that score. But it really wasn't about you, Jack."
So much for his ego. Funny he always thought of her as bold and even hard, but to look at her now he could see how vulnerable she was. Made him ashamed that he had never taken the time to see the other side of her. If the rumors could be believed, her ex was a no-good louse.
"What about Paul? You dumped me for him, is that right?" He smiled to let her know that he was trying to make light of the situation.
She gave a snort. "By now he and Monica have probably reunited. Just as well, I guess."
She must have seen shock in his eyes because she said, "You didn't know, did you?"
"Know what, Barbara?" He felt like he was drowning in the blood that was pounding in his head. Barbara couldn't be saying...
"You didn't know that they were a serious item?"
Jack didn't know what he said to Barbara as he turned and left, fear and jealousy consuming him. Back at the van, staring at the softly falling rain, his fear was replaced by hope as he thought back over his times with Monica. So what if she and Paul had been an item. Than was then. This is now. She could never have responded to him the way she had if she still cared for Paul.
Then another thought came crashing down on him — don't be dense, Jack. She's an actress and a good one, pretending is what she does for a living.
Was Monica acting with him? Was Paul the man she really wanted?
As Jack drove aimlessly around Foggy Bluff, he wavered from optimism one minute to glum disappointment the next. Who was he kidding? When it came to dating and relationships, Monica was in the big leagues, and he was still playing Tee Ball.
"Didn't you know...?" Barbara's words haunted him, replaying over and over again in his mind. But Monica had responded so passionately to his kisses! Had he imagined the whole thing? Was he that rusty with the whole dating scene?
Monica's world was filled with glitzy nightclubs and exotic restaurants. Foggy Bluff's only night spot was the Foggy Grill, whose claim to fame was that their burgers were as big as the pot holes in the parking lot.

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 18-02-07, 02:49 AM   المشاركة رقم: 7
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
التسجيل: Jan 2007
العضوية: 20696
المشاركات: 305
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: dr_md76 عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 10

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter seven

The headlights of the minivan speared the rain-filled pot holes of the Foggy Grill after Jack decided the only way to clear his head was a cup of strong coffee. Warm light spilled out of large bay windows and Jack could see there was quite a crowd inside.
Tinny jukebox music greeted him as he stepped inside, relieved to be out of the cold rain. The usual din of voices, music, and plates clinking together was louder than usual tonight. Jack looked across the room, to find Monica and Paul cozily sitting next to each other, holding champagne glasses.
Jack's spirits sank at what had been right in front of him all along. Ready to brave the elements outside rather than face all the turmoil in his heart, it was only his name being called out that stopped him.
"Jack!" Monica rose, concern written on her face. She glided across the room, the crowd magically parting for her, the same way the liquid in her glass parted as the bubbles made their way to the top. "I was getting worried you hadn't gotten my note I left at the motel. Where have you been?"
Jack's first impulse was to take the champagne glass out of her hand and wrap her arms around his neck, bringing their bodies together in synchronicity with their lips. No! He would not be made a fool of again.
Monica failed to notice the mistrust in his eyes as she took his hand. "Come celebrate with us." She led him over to the table where Paul sat, grinning like a man in love.
"Celebrate?" Jack grated, feeling a strong dislike for the smug Paul.
"Yes!" said Monica gaily. "Paul is finally taking the plunge — he's getting married next month." The animation turned her cheeks rosy, her delicate hand raising the champagne glass for a toast.
"Married to who?" asked Jack suspiciously.
"Mallory Bennet," said Paul. "She's quite a gal, lives down in L. A."

Chapter Seven: Part Two

"Oh Paul, I'm so thrilled for you," exclaimed Monica, letting go of Jack and putting an affectionate arm around Paul's shoulders.
Bewildered, Jack looked from Monica to Paul, seeing only genuine happiness that true friends would share over good news.
"I thought..." Jack's voice trailed off as a tiny spark of new hope sprang to life.
Monica came to Jack, a smile of understanding lighting up her face. "Paul and I use to date a year or so ago, but we found we made better friends than anything else." She reached up to place a light kiss on Jack's cheek. Whispering just loud enough for Jack to hear, she said, "I think I was waiting for the real thing...and here it is."
The atmosphere remained noisy and festive as toasts were made and champagne flowed. Caught up in the revelry and the feel of Monica's warm body nestled close to him, Jack didn't notice Barbara's arrival. Her words brought a sudden hush to the crowd.
"You promised me a part in the show, Paul!" Rage mottled her face as she pointed an accusing finger.
"Now Barbara, you know how these things go," backtracked Paul, holding both hands up defensively.
All eyes were on Barbara as she advanced toward the table. Jack cringed, not sure what Barbara was capable of doing.
"Barbara," Monica's soothing voice broke in, "maybe I can talk the guys at corporate into giving you a cameo appearance. No promises, but it's worth a shot." It was enough of a promise to placate Barbara. Jack hoped Barbara would be able to let go of old disappointments but he also wondered how she would react when she learned of Paul's engagement.
"O.K., O.K. everyone! I have an announcement to make." Monica rose, pulling on Jack's hand until he stood beside her. The soft light created a halo around her silky hair and Jack wished fervently that they were alone.
"Jack and I...." Monica paused to create a dramatic effect, while everyone waited for the next words out of her rosy lips, "are thinking about becoming partners and buying the old movie house. We haven't finalized anything yet, but we both agree that it would make a great dinner house with live plays."
A cheer sounded from the crowd as Monica looked at Jack with jubilance. Jack was taken aback by the sudden announcement, preferring to discuss it privately and hammer out some of the details first. Did this mean that Monica was staying in Foggy Bluff for good? Was she committing to being business partners, or more?
The hour was late by the time things wound down at the Foggy Grill. Jack helped Monica into her floor-length wool coat as Barbara and Paul discussed new ideas for the show. Paul's engagement had come up, but Barbara had only smiled bitterly and said nothing.
"Long distance phone call for Monica Barkley," yelled out the bartender from behind the gleaming wood counter. Monica kissed Jack on the cheek as she left to take the call.
When she returned, all the color had drained from her face.
"What is it, what's wrong?" Jack asked.
"It was the corporate office. They've just canceled my contract and they want me back in L. A. — now." Shock was evident on Monica's face as she stared unseeingly at Jack.
His heart plummeted as he forced himself to ask the question. "Does that mean you're leaving?"
Monica Barkley To Replace Ailing Star In New James Bond Film.
Jack read the headline on the front page of The Oregonian's Entertainment Section and felt a sudden pall cover everything. She wasn't coming back.
Monica had left for L.A. two weeks ago and, except for a basket of California oranges sent to his parents to thank them for their hospitality, he hadn't heard a word from her. Of course, he hadn't called, either. She might construe that as applying pressure and as much as he'd come to care for her during her brief visit to Foggy Bluff, he couldn't believe she could give up Hollywood for him. And he didn't want her to think he expected that of her.
The show was being retooled because of a sudden drop in ratings. Monica, Kip Hamilton, and several others had been replaced. Allie's role had been cut even before her contract could be drawn up, and Jack had been replaced as writer.
Allie, reading over his shoulder, wrapped her arms around his neck. "You should have called," she said. He could hear the strain in her voice.
He patted her arm, then kissed it. "Monica and I weren't meant to be, Allie," he said gently. "It was just a little bit of Hollywood come to Foggy Bluff."
"She liked you. I know she did. And you liked her."
"Yes." He pulled her around to his side, pushed back his chair and got to his feet. She was on the brink of tears. He hated that. "Unfortunately, that doesn't always lead to happily-ever-after in the real world."
She sighed. "That bites the big one."
"Can't argue with you there." Jack grabbed his briefcase and put an arm around her shoulders. "Come on. You'll be late for school."
Jack's parents were in his office when he arrived, a paper cup of coffee in one hand, a bagel balanced on top of it.
"Hi," he said, rather than running in the other direction as he'd have preferred to do. He put the cup on his desk and his briefcase on the floor. "What's up?"
"You should have called," his mother said. She was sitting in his chair.
He picked up the stack of mail in the middle of his blotter and tried to look busy — too busy to talk. "I called you last —"
"She meant Monica," his father said. He was looking out the window, jingling the change in his pocket. He always did that when required to support his wife in any action against their son.
"She has enough to worry about," he explained patiently for the 10th or 11th time in two weeks, "without my pleading with her to come back."
His mother looked up at him, her dark eyes incisive. "Are you afraid to want her that much? Afraid to get in that deep all over again and... lose it? Like you lost Jeannie?"
He sank onto the edge of his desk, suddenly weak at the thought. "If it was just me," he said, losing focus as his memory placed an image of Monica in his mind's eye, all moonlight blond and smiling, "I'd take the chance that she could be happy here. But it's Allie, too. And I don't think she could lose a mother again and survive."
His mother's bottom lip quivered dangerously, and his father put a hand on her shoulder. "He's only being sensible, Millie," he said, his booming voice quieted to a whisper.
"I know," she said angrily, tears falling. "But I want him to be happy, not sensible!"
His father pulled her up out of the chair. "I know, Mill. But contrary to what you've always believed, you can't have everything you want. Come on. Jack has work to do."
"Dinner tonight?" his mother asked as she was bustled away.
"We'll be there," Jack promised.
Barbara pushed open his door a moment after it closed behind his parents.
"What?" he demanded crossly.
She stared at him in surprise, then to his complete and utter shock, burst into tears.
"What is it about me?" she asked, tearfully plaintive. "So, I'm strong and...maybe a little pushy.... Is that a reason for every man to run in the other direction? Or bark at me?"
Jack wrapped her in a quick hug. "I'm sorry, Barb, I'm just a little stressed. I'm supposed to be working on the theater story for the Weekend Section and I..."
Barbara held up a camera. "I came in to tell you that I'll shoot some interiors for you if you come along and tell me what you want. I know you're rushed and I'm not just a publisher, you know. I'm a good photojournalist." She sniffed and squared her shoulders. "I didn't mean to get hysterical. I'm just a little...you know. Weepy. I liked Paul."
Jack grabbed a notebook. "I know. Allie says real life bites the big one."

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 18-02-07, 02:49 AM   المشاركة رقم: 8
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

Chapter Eight: Part Two

"Smart Allie." She led the way out to her car.
It was a gorgeous old place, Jack thought as he directed Barbara to photograph the painted ceiling, the balustered balcony, the small, intimate balconies along the side. Tulip-shaped lights in the form of torches were placed at 10-foot intervals all around.
They were taking photos of the old-fashioned concession stand in the lobby when the front door opened. The blinding glare from outside made it impossible to see who'd arrived.
Jack stared, some sensory connection he'd made with Monica alerting him to her presence.
"Barbara?" a male voice said. A tall, broad form moved out of the glare and Kip Hamilton appeared before them, tan and smiling.
Barbara blinked at him. "Yes?"
"I saw your car out front," he said, turning a baseball cap over in his hands like a nervous suitor. "I...guess you've read about the show."
She nodded, clearly perplexed. "I did. I'm sorry."
He shrugged. "These things happen. I thought I'd come back here for a while, see what you're up to."
"You did?" Her voice was breathless.
"I like your style," he said, taking several steps closer to her. "See what you want and go for it. That's what I always do."
She continued staring at Kip like she'd never seen him before.
"Are you free for lunch?" he asked.
She didn't seem able to answer.
"She's free," Jack said, and pushed her gently in Kip's direction.
Kip smiled at him. "Thanks," he said, and taking Barbara's arm, led her out the door.
Jack watched them go, feeling emptier than he had since the day Jeannie was killed. Not only had he lost a second chance at happiness, he'd lost his mind. His emotional radar had been way off.
He wandered back into the theater and sat down in the back row, wondering if he'd have the guts to see the new James Bond movie when it was released. Probably not. It would hurt too much.
Lost in thought, he was unaware that he had company until a bag of popcorn was placed under his nose.
His first thought was that the concession was closed.
His second thought was that he knew that small, slender hand with the gold bangle bracelet. It belonged to...
"Ever neck in the back of a movie theater?" Monica asked.
She looked fresh and happy, her hair caught up in a loose, curly tumble, her blue eyes bright and full of...love.
His heart thundered. "Ah...no," he said. "In the balcony."
She smiled. "Want to go up there, then?" She took a bite of popcorn, then offered him the bag again. He noticed the candy store logo on it.
His mind was a muddle of questions. Before he could ask one, she said judiciously, "you should have called."
He groaned. "I didn't want you to think I was pressuring you."
A little pleat appeared between her eyebrows. "I wanted to know you missed me."
"I did. Believe me, I did." He caught her chin between his thumb and forefinger, needing to touch her and convince himself she was real. "What are you doing here?" he asked.
"Seducing you," she replied, her eyes, suddenly serious, devouring his face. "Is it working?"
It was. Big time. But he had a daughter, and therefore, a few concerns. "You start filming the Bond movie in Morocco day after tomorrow," he pointed out.
She shook her head. "My publicity people released that story when the offer was made. I turned it down. Kip overheard me making airline reservations to come back and asked if he could come along."
He frowned, unable to believe what that suggested. Or was she back because of the theater? "You came back because...?"
She sighed and touched his face. "Because I adore you and your daughter and your parents and this town and I think I could be really happy here in partnership with you — in the theater and in our lives. What do you say? Will you marry me?"
Jack looked into the loving sincerity in her eyes and thought in baffled wonderment, Monica Barkley just asked me to marry her. Real life be damned.
"Absolutely!" He kissed her soundly.
With a soft laugh, she looped her arms around his neck and leaned into him. "Shall we move to the balcony?"
"No," he whispered, nipping at her ear. "This is perfect."
The End

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 18-02-07, 02:50 AM   المشاركة رقم: 9
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
عضو راقي

البيانات
الجنس أنثى

االدولة
البلدEgypt

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

if u want more just ask for more

عرض البوم صور dr_md76  
قديم 19-02-07, 08:45 AM   المشاركة رقم: 10
المعلومات
الكاتب:
اللقب:
ليلاس متالق

البيانات
التسجيل: Dec 2006
العضوية: 20423
المشاركات: 668
الجنس أنثى
معدل التقييم: غيمة بيضاء عضو بحاجه الى تحسين وضعه
نقاط التقييم: 11

االدولة
البلدSaudiArabia

مدونتي

الإتصالات
الحالة:
غيمة بيضاء غير متواجد حالياً
وسائل الإتصال:

افتراضي

شكرا dr-md76 ألف شكر تسلمين and yes we are want more هههههههههه طماعه بعيد عنك خخخخخخخخخخخ

عرض البوم صور غيمة بيضاء  

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)
facebook

جديد مواضيع قسم الارشيف
أدوات الموضوع
مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع مشاهدة صفحة طباعة الموضوع
تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة