ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÍÏå ÝÇÖíå ÛíÑ ãÊæÇÌÏ ÍÇáíÇð
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ßÇÊÈ ÇáãæÖæÚ : æÍÏå ÝÇÖíå ÇáãäÊÏì : ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
Boxing

Nineteen
“No!” Mouse screamed again. Her footing stumbled as she raced towards the place where her husband had stood only moments before.
Ambray turned at the sound of her voice.
“Lady Winningham, what a surprise it is to see you. I am so glad that we’ve found you.” Ambray smiled fully. He looked much like a parody of himself, wearing a wide grin and bits of his hair sticking out at all angles. His disheveled appearance gave him a clownish look, a parody of his usually impeccable self.
“Michael!” She called out, ignoring Ambray, attempting to run past him. He still held the gun, though at an odd angle. As she neared him, he reached for her, grasping her arms and pulling her towards him.
“Here, here, Miranda. You must not go to close. You might fall!”
“Let go of me, you beast.” She struggled to loosen his hold. “You shot Michael.”
“I had no choice. He tried to kill me.”
Mouse’s chest tightened so that she could hardly breathe. “Liar. You killed him.”
“No, sweetness, I didn’t want to hurt him He would have shot us both! He was insane.”
Mouse’s struggles grew harder. “No. You’ve hated him all along. You poisoned him, you meant to kill him.”

Ambray shook her angrily. “Is that what you think? That I’ve hated him. He was my family. I loved Michael like a brother.” His hardened face twisted into a garish stone carving.
Mouse suddenly quieted. She knew she could do her husband no good as long as Ambray held her. There was a small chance he might be alive. Mouse remembered Michael telling her something about a ledge. If only she could get loose from Ambray. That was, if Ambray’s shot hadn’t been true.
“Of course, you did, Ambray,” she whimpered. “But, he might yet be alive, we’ve got to go for some help.”
“No, Miranda. There’s little hope of that. It’s best for me to get you back to the house now. We’ve plans to make, you and I.”
“Plans?” Mouse whispered. “What are you talking about?”
“I am speaking of you and I, dearest. What we shall tell your family and society.”
Mouse couldn’t help but stiffen. “What shall we tell them, Ambray?”
He smiled his angelic features returning to normal. Mouse noticed how he held himself as though he were preparing to attend a soiree.
“Why, of our impending marriage, of course.”
“Marriage?”
“Yes, Miranda. You and I shall be happily wed before the week is out. We’ll send for a special license.”
Mouse shook her head, “I’m already married—” she began.
“To a corpse, my love. With Michael now gone we have a chance for a real life together, you and I.”
Mouse shook her head and struggled once again to break free.
“No. I won’t marry you, Ambray.
“But you will,” his face darkened as he strengthened his grasp. “You will marry me and as soon as you dispense with the brat you are carrying, you will be prime to birth my children. Our offspring will take their rightful place in society.”
“No!” Mouse screamed, “Someone help me!” She managed to twist enough that she pulled from Ambray’s grasp. Turning quickly she ducked beneath his arms and began to run. She’d only made it a short distance when he was neatly on top of her.

“It was much easier with Katerina but I convinced her, as I shall convince you my sweet!”
Mouse screamed with every ounce of her energy. Though his hands held her tightly, she managed to scratch his face and kick out with her feet. Landing a few blows, Mouse knew that she was no match for him, but she continued to fight and would do so until her last breath.
~ * ~
Michael realized several things at once. At the edge of his vision, he’d seen a rushing figure coming towards them. A small, woman’s shape burst forth from the copse of trees. Mouse had found him at last.
In the next instant a shot rang out. Michael jerked backwards, an explosive burning in his left shoulder.
Hanging for what seemed an eternity, Michael balanced between life and death, sanity and madness.
In less than the span of a heartbeat, Michael tipped backwards, plunge downwards, the view of his half-brother and wife shorn from his sight. Tumbling out of control, he scrambled desperately, grabbing at the stone face of the cliff, tearing fingertips and hands on the jagged rock, trying to get some hold of the blessed earth. Ignoring the pain now spreading through his left side, the earl finally found an outcropping to grab onto. With a bone-jarring jerk, he managed to halt his fall to the sea, at least momentarily.
Hanging suspended between life and death, Michael began to feel the edges of darkness crowd around his vision. Not now. By force of will, the earl pushed away the encroaching darkness.
Suddenly, Mouse screamed above him. Frantic, Michael grappled with the cliff face. When he was a child, he’d scaled these rocks many times. It was a place that he’d gone for refuge when his father’s insults had been too fierce or his hand too heavy for a small boy.
As he continued to search the cliff, Michael heard the sound of his wife’s cries. He could barely make out Ambray’s voice, low and threatening, like a snake coiling around Mouse. With renewed determination, Michael managed a small foothold and began to

strengthen his position. It was then that he saw it. The tiny ledge which offered him hope of survival.
The only problem was that he needed to reach his right arm over about two feet and lean sideways while still holding onto the rock face with his left. The pain in his arm was increasing, and he knew he’d little chance of holding on for much longer. He examined the wound. It had been a clean shot through the left shoulder, and though it continued to bleed steadily, Michael was sure it wouldn’t be life threatening. The fall certainly would be. His only hope was to throw himself towards the small ledge and pray that his good right arm would carry his weight.
Breathing deeply, he managed to ward off the impending seizure, but knew well that it lay just around the corner of his mind. His heart beat rapidly and his body prepared for one final thrust onto the ledge.
Mouse screamed again, and with no further thought, Michael jumped. He knew only the few sparse seconds between life and death, a fall into abyss or the steady reassuring grasp upon solid earth. It was the earth that saved him. He shot onto the small ledge, nearly overstepping the ground but gaining enough momentum to make the leap clean and landing with a thump against the cliff.
For a few seconds, Michael merely breathed. Though his victory was a small one for a man’s life, it was also momentous. He’d managed to survive and the darkness had yet to overtake him. Now, at least there was a glimmer of hope that he would be able to rescue Mouse. And then the devil take him if he must, but Michael would at least accomplish that.
Breathing deeply twice more, he steeled himself for the climb back up to the cliff. Pushing against the rocks, he turned slightly and began searching for the path upwards that would get him to safety. Within moments he was scaling the rocks, slowly, painstakingly, and knowing full well that his weight might prove to loosen the age-old soil and send him to his death. But taking each hold with the grim determination and cool nerve that only came to one during times of true crises, he ascended. Propelled by the knowledge of his wife’s assault, Michael climbed steadily upward.

It seemed to Michael that hours had gone by, when in truth, only minutes had passed. Finally making the very edge of the outcropping, Michael began the final pull toward relative safety, toward his cousin and his wife.
~ * ~
Mouse was near to panic. Ambray now had her pinned beneath him. His mouth crushed hers. His right hand held her wrists above her head and his left tore at her clothing. All too aware of Ambray’s strength overpowering her, Mouse knew she could no longer fight him. Instinct told her if she was to stay alive she must surrender. And, yet, her thoughts echoed, did she really wish to live without her husband? Could she raise his child knowing that his enemy had beaten her so completely? Despair and remorse flooded through her. It wasn’t fair that she and Michael’s destiny would never be fulfilled. She would never have the chance to show her husband what a life of love and friendship was truly like.
As Ambray’s assault on her continued, Mouse began to feel lightheaded, as though she were riding a raft on a strong river current about to be plunged off a waterfall. Her strength giving out, she could no longer fight him. Her heart raged that at least her husband’s child would survive. Silently she swore she would have her own form of revenge on Ambray Kelton one day.
Her vision fading, she drew in a quick sob. Ambray’s hold on her loosened. For a moment, he pulled back, his eyes darting around quickly as if sensing that some threat loomed nearby. The change in his actions gave Mouse the chance to sob once. Feeling a faint come upon her, she welcomed the darkness that was now her only escape from her attacker. Just as her vision blurred, she became aware of another figure, looming over Ambray, moving slow but determined toward them. Before she knew what was happening, Mouse sank into the sands of unconsciousness.
~ * ~
Michael first saw the lump of tangled limbs and clothing on the ground, fifty feet from where he’d gained his footing on level earth. Stumbling forward he made uneven progress towards them. Mouse had been putting up a good fight, but as was their lot, women could

not defeat the enraged beast that was man. For half a moment Michael’s heart nearly burst for love of his wife. She fought like a lion and he knew she would continue to do so as long as she was able.
When he was barely ten feet from them, Ambray stopped his assault and quickly surveyed the night around him. Michael knew that his plans for a surprise attack were thwarted. Still, he did not let that deter him. Leaping forward, he landed upon his half-brother with all of his strength. Rolling sideways he saw that Mouse lay crumpled on the ground beside them, her pallor as white as a lily and her body looking much like a broken doll with its limbs all akimbo. A new anger rose within Michael seeing his wife in such a state, he was both incensed at Ambray’s treatment of her and his own inability to protect her from his half-brother.
When they were children, Ambray was always larger, older and stronger. Michael had been a quick study and had learned all of the lowland ways of hand to hand combat. Now, as grown men, the two were near to evenly matched on a good day. For Michael, this was not even close to a good day. His left arm burned like the devil had set fire to it and his hands suffered scrapes and bruising from climbing the rocks. He wasn’t sure how much blood he’d lost, but he knew that he’d need to finish the combat quickly for Ambray’s injuries were few and it was very likely that his half-brother would overtake him in a long engagement.
With all of his strength thrown into a single swing, Michael landed a right cross against the other man’s jaw. A stunning blow, it felt as if he’d thrown his entire shoulder out. But, such was not the case. Ambray, lying on the ground beside him, feinted back. Ambray’s fist slammed against Michael’s temple and knocked him backwards. A mixture of fear and panic pushed Michael to his feet, but when he regained full sight of his opponent, he saw that Ambray had produced a second pistol and was aiming the gun directly at Michael, very steady, showing every intention of using it.
In desperation, Michael lunged forward, locking the two of them together in an unholy embrace, their bodies pressing the gun between them. Struggling against each other, they again went to the ground, rolling like unruly schoolboys. Suddenly Ambray gained the better

hold, and his hand slipped upwards and into the trigger. Michael felt the difference in his opponent’s position. With a final push of energy, Michael rolled from under his adversary. At the same time, he felt his left arm knock into Ambray’s and the jarring shock of the gun’s discharge rocked them both.
Suddenly all movement stopped between them. Michael looked into Ambray’s shocked expression. Slowly the man’s eyes drifted downward to the weapon cradled against his chest and the large circle of blood that took shape on his shirt and grew to encompass the buttons and laces that had been all the rage that season. In the next seconds Ambray Kelton slumped forward, still clutching the pistol like a mother holding her newborn babe, and fell face first into the dirt.
~ * ~
For a few moments, Michael didn’t move. He half expected Ambray to rise, and give him the devil for acting so rashly. But one thing was clear as Michael sat back on his heels. He felt no guilt. The man who’d revealed himself as a half-brother, had lied about being a friend, about being his caretaker, now lay bleeding into the dirt and Michael felt no remorse. Suddenly gone from his heart was the pain of Katerina’s death. He realized that Ambray had been responsible for that, and perhaps for his father’s death as well. When he looked over to Mouse, lying so quiet on the ground beyond them, Michael felt only anger that she too almost fell prey to Ambray’s evil nature.
“Mouse.” The wind seemed to whisper her name around him. Michael quickly scrambled the few feet that lay between them. Quickly, he gathered her up in his arms, then unsteadily gaining his feet, he cradled her close to his chest and set off for the house. Though he was bruised and pistol shot, he felt none of the burden. He realized as he walked the uneven ground that she’d lost weight, that the combination of his absence and her motherly state had likely taken its toll on her. No longer did she carry the childish face, round and innocent of the world. She was a sharp beauty, but one that had matured in the months since they’d met. He felt a fierce pang of regret at having caused this change in her.

And yet, as he looked down at her, her complexion glowed, though still pale from her struggle with Ambray, she clearly was regaining some of her color. For that he was glad, and promised himself that he’d no longer be the cause of her distress.
Staggering, Michael finally made the side door of the house. He could hear the hounds baying in the distance. Surely the hunt for them was ongoing. Fear shot through him at the thought of Mouse being captured by Ambry’s henchmen. Taking a deep breath, Michael forced himself forward, clutching his wife in his arms, determined to get her to safety no matter what.
Realizing he wouldn’t make the stairs and be able to get Mouse to her bedroom, he made a side trip into the library. As he entered the huge room, he noted first that the usually spotless room had been left to ruin. Papers and books were strewn about as though someone had been searching for something important.
Settling Mouse on the settee, he sank down to the floor beside her. Cradling her hands in his own, Michael vigorously rubbed them to try and reduce the chill that had overtaken her. Mouse only sighed beside him. Leaning forward, he knelt before her and bent his head so that it rested next to hers.
“Oh, sweet Mouse. I am so sorry for all of this. You should have stayed in London. At least you would have been safe there.”
“Safe, perhaps,” a voice came from the door, “but pity the poor woman’s heart, for she couldn’t live without you.”
Michael’s grasp on Mouse’s hands tightened. He looked up to see Wexley standing in the doorway, Mauler hovering behind him, an evil shadow.
“Leave her be,” Michael growled, surprised at his tone. The threat of the general’s presence had filled him with a new energy.
“We have an arrangement, Michael. You’re wife’s folly and your own murderous intentions have changed nothing.”
Michael shook his head. “I am sorry, Wexley. Ambray is dead, so things must change. Sooner or later it will be found out that I killed him. When that happens, either I will be locked away or hung. Either way, I won’t be any value to you. You’d best pack it off and start your plans anew.”

“Nonsense, Michael. It’s clear that what happened between the two of you was in self-defense. In fact, you’ve relieved one complication for me. Ambray was beginning to wear. Now he’s gone, it clears the way for you and I.”
“Michael?” Mouse stirred beside him.
“It’s all right, darling, I’m here.” Michael leaned closer.
Mouse settled into his embrace. “Is that really you Michael?” She whispered. “I thought I saw…” Suddenly she came more awake. A look of both relief and panic took over her face. “I saw you go over the cliff! I saw Ambray shoot you!” Her arms scrambling, she quickly pushed him back, her hands spreading across his shirtfront as if to make certain he was real and not a ghost.
“I did get shot, and yes, I went over the cliff. Fortunately I caught a ledge and managed to pull myself back up.”
“But, what happened to Ambray? He thought you were dead, then he assaulted me! He was insane, Michael.”
“Yes, he was.” Michael dropped his head. “He will trouble us no more, Mouse. He’s dead. I didn’t mean for it to happen, but I couldn’t wrestle the pistol away, and when it fired, it killed him.”
“Oh, Michael,” she murmured, pulling him closer once again. “I am so sorry. It’s true I never trusted him, but he was your only family.”
“More than that, Mouse, he was my half-brother. A man cheated of his inheritance. I don’t blame him for hating me.”
“While this is all pleasant enough, Kelton, you and I have work to do. I’ll leave Mauler here to watch over your bride. You and I shall ride into the village. Our contact will be arriving tonight.”
Mouse looked up, seeing Wexley for the first time. “Michael, what’s going on here?” She demanded.
Michael found he couldn’t answer her. To do so would have made him a traitor. He looked away a moment before speaking.
“It doesn’t involve you, Mouse. I made an arrangement with General Wexley and now I must honor it.”
“Arrangement? Of what sort?”
“I agreed to help him secure the trade lines my father maintained during the war. It’s a smuggling operation, Mouse. One that supplied

weapons and ammunition to Napoleon’s forces. I am sorry, I cannot tell you more.”
He watched emotions play across her eyes. “And, what do you receive from him? I know it isn’t material wealth, Michael. You’ve no need for more money.”
“No, not money. Freedom. Freedom for you and the baby. You’ll get safely back to London and be left out of this.” He leaned closer, “and when I’m caught, you’ll have no guilt to stain you.”
Mouse shook her head. “No. I’ll not accept that, Michael. You are not a traitor. He is forcing you to do this.”
“I know it seems that way. I am not blameless, Mouse. I’ve known of my father’s business dealings for years. I just never realized the scope of his influence or the identity of his associates. So, you see, my love, I am as guilty as they.”
A loud blast shook the house.
Wexley ran towards the ************************************************************ **** “Gunfire. That must mean enemies approach. I left O’Malley to guard the front gates.”
“Someone’s shooting at the manse?” Mouse asked, confused.
“What it means, Mouse, is that most likely the Crown has discovered our dealings here and have come to arrest us.”
“How could they know? I’ve been discreet.” Wexley muttered, backing away from the window, pulling out his own pistol.
“One of your underlings has been sending missives to the palace. Betrayal or patriotism, would be my guess.” Michael smiled tiredly, the effects of his wounds and fatigue growing by the moment.
“It can’t be.” Wexley announced. “I was most careful choosing my staff. Except for Ambray. Could it be he was responsible?”
“I doubt it. Ambray wasn’t concerned with anyone’s well-being but his own.” Michael felt himself pitching forward. He heard Mouse call his name, and leaned into the sound.
“I’m here, my love.” He said resting in her arms.
Suddenly the door burst open and Timothy O’Malley stepped inside. “Hello, general.” Holding a cocked pistol and motioning four armed soldiers in the room beside him, he bowed formally to Mouse. “Lady Winningham.”

“O’ Malley? How dare you.” Wexley’s face mottled with anger as he lowered his weapon.
“I dare, sir. Very much so. I am here as a representative of the Prince Regent, to place you and Lord Winningham under arrest for treason and murder.”

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ æÍÏå ÝÇÖíå  
ÞÏíã 16-02-07, 07:22 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 27
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÚÖæ ããíÒ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Nov 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 17464
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 1,017
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: æÍÏå ÝÇÖíå ÚÖæ ÈÍÇÌå Çáì ÊÍÓíä æÖÚå
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 12

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏZimbabwe

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Twenty
The small parlor was filled with the scent of fresh cut flowers. Mouse sighed and traversed the length of the room for the hundredth time. She hated waiting like this. It was even worse than when she’d been confined to the sickbed the days following her return from Rosecliff.
Finally returned to full health, she’d managed to escape her sisters. Mouse hadn’t wanted company these last few days. She continued to pace the small room, waiting for word of her husband and the charges against him. From Rosecliff’s library they had been trundled off to London, in two separate carriages. She and O’Malley in one, and her husband and General Wexley under guard in the other. It turned out the men he was set to meet had been agents working undercover for the Crown. Wexley’s plan had been foxed from the start. The authorities were closing in upon the smuggling ring. They needed only the last few conspirators to finish the case. The General had long been suspected, however Michael was a newer wrinkle in the fabric.
Just as she was about to leave the room and find out what was going on, Arthur appeared at the door.
“Miranda, dear. How long have you been here?” The older man stepped forward to embrace her.
“Not long, Arthur. I slipped away from Merry and Cat while they were shopping for new fabrics. I can’t stand it! Please, you must tell me what’s going on!”

“I’ll tell you what I know, but you must first sit down and take some tea with me. You look absolutely dashed! You should have stayed home, Miranda.”
She shook her head. “If I’d stayed another minute, I’d be mad. I’ve written to Michael several times and he’s not answered my letters. Is he sick? Have they done something to him in that awful place?”
“Michael is fine. He’s being held in special custody on Langford Street. A third rate lodging, but relatively clean and secure.”
“I want to see him, Arthur. Please.” Mouse twisted her kerchief relentlessly.
“I wish that I could arrange it, Miranda. But the circumstances are rather tight. Michael is facing some severe charges. While we know him to be innocent, it’s going to take a bit to sort everything through. It’s best you go home and wait this out. There is nothing for you to accomplish here.”
Mouse tried to hold back her tears. “Those horrid men. Michael isn’t to blame for any of this. It is the worst torture to keep him from his family.”
Arthur reached across the sofa and took her hands in his. “Dear one, Michael is allowed visitors. I didn’t know how to tell you this, but I’ve been to see him twice.”
“What? But, I thought—”
“I know and it is my fault for misleading you. I didn’t want to hurt your feelings. The truth of it is that Michael requested not to allow your visits. He made it clear that you were not, under any circumstances to visit with him while he’s being held.”
“That can’t be.” Mouse turned away from him. “I’m his wife, Arthur. I love him.” As she spoke the last, her voice twisted in her throat.
“I know that and I suspect he does as well. This is all a terrible scandal and he is doing what he can to keep you from it.”
“There’s more, isn’t there?”
“Yes. Michael has been charged in the death of his cousin, but the Council seems to think that it is a superfluous charge at best. The other, and more pressing, concern is that of treason. Your husband has

knowledge of the whereabouts of a rather large cache of weapons. He is reluctant to share that information at the moment, knowing that the Crown may see him as a traitor after all. I don’t think that will be the case, though. There’s evidence a plenty that he was held by Ambray against his will, and that he was in no way connected with the piracy of the ship transporting the weapons, the conspiracy of men who planned to sell them to the French. But he did have knowledge of his father’s activities prior to his service in Spain and it looks as if he might have been Ambray’s accomplice. This could sway the court’s decision, thus there is a chance that he might be found guilty of treason.”
“And be hung.” Mouse could barely form the words.
“I am afraid so. Michael is trying to plan what would be the best course of action. It’s not an easy choice. Imprisonment if he doesn’t produce the merchandise or execution if he does.”
“Is there no way to help him?”
“Only if we can find someone to testify to his cousin’s activities. Someone who can prove that while he did know of his father’s storage facilities, he didn’t have knowledge of Ambray’s duplicity. Of course, wisely, the man didn’t take anyone into his confidence. There is no one who can prove or disprove Michael’s innocence.”
“What about General Wexley? He surely could testify on Michael’s behalf?”
“You would think so. The valiant officer was likely the biggest coward of all. He hung himself in his cell, two nights ago.”
“Oh!” Mouse fell back at his words. The air around her became suddenly thin, and she felt the nausea double in her stomach.
“Miranda! Are you ill? Should I fetch a physician?”
Arthur’s voice cut through her reverie like a hot knife through butter. “Arthur.! What did you just say?”
“I asked if you were sick. I will dispense one of my aides to find you a doctor immediately.” Her brother-in-law turned towards the door.
“No. Wait. I have it now. What a ninny I’ve been!” Mouse quickly ran to the table and pulled open a drawer. Taking out a piece of paper

and a pen from a nearby table, she quickly scribbled a name on the parchment.
“Here is the one man who can corroborate Michael’s involvement in all of this! The only man who knew Ambray’s aspirations from the start. In fact, he stood to gain the most from my husband’s malady.”
She quickly held the paper out to Arthur, who looked at it a brief moment before taking it. Upon seeing the name written there, his eyebrows flew up in surprise.
“Dear heavens, girl, I think you’re right!”
~ * ~
Michael fidgeted with his cravat one more time. He simply hated the damn things. Felt like he was strangling, like a noose was already around his neck. This was his judgment day and he’d no patience for the genteel wrappings of society. Damn it all, he wanted to be free of all propriety as he marched to his pronouncement of death. Was that too much for a man to ask?
The door to the courtroom creaked open. He noticed that it was a much sunnier day than his last appearance in these chambers. The oil lamps were left unlit, since the sunshine streamed through the halls, brightly adding life to the deep hued browns of polished wood floors and furniture.
“Lord Winningham,” A voice from across the room from him called loudly. Michael jumped at the sound of it. But it was friend and not foe, so his alarm settled down a notch in his breast.
“Your Grace,” Michael bowed towards Mouse’s brother-in-law.
“Here now, son, no time for titles today. We must hurry. I’ve come to bring you good news.”
“Sir?” Before Michael could ask more, the older man waved him down.
“Let’s hurry. You don’t want to miss this.” Arthur quickly ushered him down the long aisle, past the posted guards, right up to the main row of benches.
Michael sat, open mouthed at his benefactor’s cheery demeanor. “What’s this about, sir? I am to be pronounced today. Surely you cannot be so happy at my removal from your family? I know I am not the best husband for Miranda, but I do love her—”

“And so you should!” Arthur answered, but he was busy stretching his neck, looking towards the other entrance to the room. “Damn it all. They should be here by now.”
“Who?” Michael felt as if he were suddenly a stranger at his own funeral.
Arthur looked back at him sharply. “Who? You’ll see in a moment. I don’t want to spoil if for you. Miranda would have my head on a platter, you know.”
“About Miranda,” Michael began, the tone of his voice changing caused Arthur to lean forward slightly.
“Yes, what about Miranda?”
“I have something I want you to give her.” Michael reached inside his jacket pocket, producing a folded piece of parchment.
“Here,” Arthur began, “what’s this?”
“Papers for our divorce. I want you to give these to her to sign as soon as possible.”
The Duke looked as though someone had just shot him. “You mean to cut her loose do you?”
“Yes. I do. When I’m found guilty there will be nothing left to give her. I would have her receive all of my estates and accounts, except I fear the crown will have designs on that. I know that she has you and her sisters to care for her. That you would look after her and the child until she makes a suitable match.”
“What makes you so certain that you’re to be found guilty?”
“I am going to divulge the ************************************************************ **** of the arms. It’s the right thing to do, Arthur. Besides, it doesn’t matter. Even at the court’s mercy, with no one to act in my stead as guardian, I would be sentenced to a sanitarium at best. This way, I’ll have some say in my future.”
“Even if that future contained a walk to the gallows?”
Michael nodded, his throat too tight now to speak.
“Well. If you ask me, that’s the coward’s way out. It appears as if Wexley wasn’t the only half-oiled lamp in the pantry.” He thrust the paper back to Michael. “If you wish to give her up, sir, that is your business. I will not be your runner. You want to divorce her, then do so. But I will not be the one to deliver the blow that will break her heart.”

The judge’s gavel sounded as the proceedings began. Michael no longer cared about his own fate. He wanted only happiness for Mouse. She deserved it.
When he chanced to look up, a shadow fell upon him. Michael stared into the stone-like features of Winton Winthorp.
“My God,” he whispered.
“Lord Winningham.” The other man spoke stiffly. He then straightened himself and walked to stand before the podium.
Michael sat entranced by the other man’s testimony. The loud, boisterous tone of the physician’s voice filled the courtroom.
~ * ~
“Please tell us of your involvement with Ambray Kelton, Mr. Winthorp.”
“I first met Mr. Kelton when I was a medical student at Oxford. He proved to be most efficient in aiding my studies by procuring medical corpses for the college.”
“And later,” Arthur prompted.
“It was after he’d returned from Spain that he contacted me. He was concerned in finding proper care for his cousin, Lord Winningham.”
“And you were in a position to help him?”
Winthorp smiled, looking towards Michael. “Yes, I was. I have a small establishment in the town of Cadbury. I treat the mentally ill. Mr. Kelton was about to be given guardianship of his cousin. I was enlisted to treat him.”
“And that treatment involved what, Mr. Winthorp?”
“The usual management for the insane. I used the accepted practice of laudanum, bleeding and restraints to care for him.”
“Were your treatments successful?”
“I see his lordship seated with us now. That should be proof enough.”
“Indeed,” Arthur stated. “To your knowledge, was the earl in any condition to participate in the heinous activities of Mr. Ambray Kelton?”
“No. The earl was pretty much incapacitated, as I recall.”
“To what did you charge his condition? Was it his service in the war? Or, perhaps his abduction from the battlefield.”
“It was a malady from his childhood, I believe. Though, I’m sure those other circumstances intensified his illness.”
“Were you aware of any wrong-doings by Ambray Kelton?” Arthur asked pointedly.
Winthorp paused a moment. “I knew there was some knowledge that his lordship held which Kelton was interested in. The ************************************************************ **** of the caves that the late Lord Winningham had kept secret, I believe it was. But as I was engaged only to care for present Lord Winningham, it was of little import to me.”
“And when Mr. Kelton obtained that information? What was to become of Lord Winningham then?”
“He was to be placed in my care, in residence at the hospital in Cadbury.”
“Then, since your appearance before this court a full two years ago, it is your opinion that Michael Kelton, the fifth Earl of Winningham could not have been an accomplice to Ambray Kelton, or General Barton Wexley in the coveting of arms or conspiracy against the crown?”
“No, he wasn’t capable. In fact, I offer my services presently to his lordship for continued care, should he wish it.”
“Thank you, Mr. Winthorp. That will be all.”
~ * ~
Michael watched as the man stepped down. Of course, he knew that Winthorp had been as much a lackey to Ambray as Mauler and Horn. Just the same, he stood blameless in front of the court. Michael sighed as Arthur came to sit beside him.
“Damn fool. I intend to introduce a new investigation into medical practices to Parliament. We must root out such blatant malfeasance in the medical profession.”
Before Arthur could say more, the court was called to order. Lord Kensington stood to face the courtroom.
“It is the judgment of this court that his Lordship, the Earl of Winningham, Michael Kelton, in light of recent developments be found innocent of all charges of treason against the Crown of

England, as well as in the death of one Ambray Kelton. We believe that he acted in the need for self-preservation and only in self-defense. As an addendum to these proceedings, we further place Lord Winningham into the care of His Grace, Arthur Throckmorten, the Duke of Sutherly, from this day for no less than one year. At that time it will be determined if he is able to manage his own affairs. For now, gentleman, this court is adjourned.”
Michael could barely breathe. He glanced over to Arthur and was about to thank him. At that moment, an anguished sound touched at the edge of his hearing. He turned around in his seat, peering at the cause of so mournful a note. At the back of the courtroom stood Mouse. Dressed in a pale, yellow gown, she clutched her reticule in one hand, and a large, leather bound book in the other and looking very much as though she’d descended from the heaven itself.
~ * ~
Mouse couldn’t contain her emotions any longer. She let a cry of excitement escaped her lips, and she saw that it immediately drew her husband’s attention. As he gazed back at her, she met his stare openly. For a moment they were both transfixed by the other’s sight. Wordlessly, she watched as he slowly rose from his seat, ignoring the men who now milled around him. Step by agonizing step brought him closer, Arthur just behind.
“Beloved,” he said softly, taking her into a crushing embrace.
“Michael, I’ve missed you so!”
For a moment the world disappeared around them and for a time, to each only the other existed. Mouse inhaled his essence with her every breath,

“Dear Mouse,” Michael spoke, his voice low and coarse with emotion, “we must find a place to talk.”
~ * ~
Ensconced in a small sitting room, Mouse watched her husband thank Arthur, then close the door on her brother-in-law’s retreat. For a moment, Michael stood before her, his shoulders square, his body trembling slightly as he gathered whatever statements clouded his thoughts. She could see his lean figure, barely filling the tailored
black waistcoat and wool trousers. At least in the month that had passed, Michael had been fed, so that his captivity at Ambray’s hand seemed to have faded. When she looked close enough, Mouse could see the haunting sadness that darkened her husband’s eyes.
“Please, Michael. Come sit down.”
He turned to her then, his expression unreadable. “Mouse, there is something we must discuss. Our marriage.”
Mouse pulled in an unsteady breath. “I know we can make a good job of it, Michael. I love you!”
He knelt before her, taking her hands in his. Gently he rubbed them between his thumbs, making circles in her palms.
“And, I love you, Mouse. If that were all there was to it, I’d stay happily at your side for all of eternity!” He drew an unsteady breath. “But, I am not well, Mouse. I fear I never shall be.”
“That’s not true, Michael!”
“Yes, it is. That’s why you must agree to this. I can’t stay married to you, Mouse. You deserve much better than me. I will have Arthur draw up the proper papers. I’ll see to it that you and the child never want for anything!”
Mouse looked down at the crumpled paper he pulled from his suit pocket. “Why, Michael? Why throw it all away when happiness is in your grasp?”
He looked away from her. “I’ve told you, I can’t be married. Ever.”
“Why? You don’t believe all those lies that Ambray told you?”
“It isn’t a question of what I believe, Mouse. The facts cannot be refuted.”
She shook her head. “That’s not true. You only need some time and proper treatment.”
“Mouse, listen to me. I can’t be with you and the child because I might hurt you! I almost did that first night you stayed at Rosecliff. I could fall to the fits at any time. Don’t you see?”
Mouse backed away from him. “No. That’s not true. I won’t believe it. You didn’t know me then. You were ill and suffering from Winthorp’s care. Answer me this, have you had a fit since you left Rosecliff this time?”

He shook his head. “But that doesn’t mean I won’t. There is something that I haven’t told you, my love. There remains one unexplained death.”
Mouse stood her ground. “I know that you didn’t kill Elsbeth. Mr. O’Malley testified that Ambray had sneaked into her room that night. The two of them had argued. It was Ambray who killed her.”
Michael’s expression of sorrow deepened in the lines that cut into his face. “I know that. Once you asked me what it was that lay between Ambray and I. Why I both loved him and hated him. I loved him because he forgave me, Mouse.”
“I don’t understand.”
“He forgave me for the worst sin any man could commit. It was my fault Katerina fell to her death.”
“Michael, we’ve discussed this before. It was an accident. A terrible, tragic circumstance, but an accident none the less. If there was blame, it was for all three of you. Each of you had an equal part in the events, Ambray in his deceit, Katerina in her betrayal, and you for allowing them to stir your emotions beyond control.”
Michael gave her a bitter laugh. “You would think so, eh, Mouse? Except there was one more victim which Ambray and I kept secret. One other died that night. I didn’t know until Ambray told me later. And, believe me, I wish to God he hadn’t told me at all.”
“Nothing was said about another death, Michael, surely the authorities would have mentioned—”
“Katerina was pregnant!” Michael’s voice broke. “Of course, I knew it wasn’t my child. I had been unable to perform my husbandly duties since returning from Spain. It was when Ambray told me of their affair that I became enraged. I hated them both, but Katarina the most. Of course, I said terrible things and wished her dead. I never thought it would happen.”
“Michael, you can’t wish somebody dead. You didn’t kill anybody. I know you. You would never mean to harm anyone, especially a child.”
“The fact remains that whether I meant to or not, I caused a child’s death because of my insanity. That’s why I cannot stay with you. The dangers to you and the child are too great!”

“Oh, beloved. You can’t hold yourself to blame for this. Any number of things can happen to us. If I were to become hurt in a carriage accident or fall down a flight of stairs, those are things that cannot be predicted. Or, what if you were to be shot while hunting, or worse? The truth is we cannot predict the future. We mustn’t stop living our lives in fear of what might happen.”
“I don’t know,” he said quietly.
Mouse watched as his blue-green eyes sparkled with unshed tears. “Please, Michael. This time it will be different, I know it. When you’ve had a chance to heal, you will believe it, too. This time you will be in the arms of a loving family. There will be no laudanum to cloud your thinking or restraints to tie you down. I will be there, and so will Arthur, Cat, and Merry. And our children as well, Michael. Please, let us love you the way you deserve to be loved!”
She watched as the battle for his life played out on his expression. Clearly he struggled with her reasoning. But in the end, as his face slackened in surrender, he both won and lost the war for his logic.
“My God, Mouse, I find that I can refuse you nothing. I was a fool for ever believing so.”
“Never, my love. You are no fool, misguided a bit perhaps, but certainly nothing else.”
For a brief moment the two stared into each other’s eyes. Mouse waited, not daring to move for fear of shattering the fragile thread of emotion that formed a bridge between them. Then, she felt it. There was an almost palpable snap in Michael’s demeanor. For a second she thought he might toss her aside or run away. He did neither

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ æÍÏå ÝÇÖíå  
ÞÏíã 16-02-07, 07:23 PM   ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ ÑÞã: 28
ÇáãÚáæãÇÊ
ÇáßÇÊÈ:
ÇááÞÈ:
ÚÖæ ããíÒ

ÇáÈíÇäÇÊ
ÇáÊÓÌíá: Nov 2006
ÇáÚÖæíÉ: 17464
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 1,017
ÇáÌäÓ ÃäËì
ãÚÏá ÇáÊÞííã: æÍÏå ÝÇÖíå ÚÖæ ÈÍÇÌå Çáì ÊÍÓíä æÖÚå
äÞÇØ ÇáÊÞííã: 12

ÇÇáÏæáÉ
ÇáÈáÏZimbabwe

ãÏæäÊí

ÇáÅÊÕÇáÇÊ
ÇáÍÇáÉ:
æÓÇÆá ÇáÅÊÕÇá:

ÇÝÊÑÇÖí

Epilogue
“My goodness, Michael! You must calm yourself,” Merry stepped in front of her brother-in-law.
“How can I possibly be calm on a day like today?”
“Really, you must try,” Cat chided him cheerily, “for your own benefit, if no one else’s. Mouse is really quite done in and we must keep her in a quiet capacity. It’s for the best, you know. It was quite the ordeal.”
Michael hugged his two sister-in-laws, nearly tipping the three of them over. “I know, but I can’t wait any longer. It’s been hours. Surely you’ll give in to me, just this once?”
Arthur stepped into the morning room, an unlit cheroot in one hand, and a bottle of wine in the other. “Dear ladies, can’t you see what strife Michael has been thrown into? We cannot let him dangle—it would be torturous for him.”
Catalina stared open mouthed to her sister. Merry, threw her hands into the air. “Very well, Michael, but only this once. She must have quiet.”
Though Merry’s last words were spoken sternly, Michael couldn’t help but glimpse the smile on her face. In an instant he was gone from them, racing up the wide staircase to his wife’s room.
~ * ~
Cautiously, he pulled back the door. Peering inside, he could just make out the dim candles burning. Though it was an hour before noon, the drapes had been drawn and the room was set with a yellowish glow.
“Mouse, are you awake?”
“Yes, beloved. I am. Come in and meet your son.”
Michael entered as though he were treading on egg********************************ls. Before him, lying in the bed that they had shared the past six months, was his wife. In her arms a small, wriggling bundle.
“Is he really ours, Mouse?” He pulled back the soft fabric that kept his child warm.
“Yes, Michael. Come, sit with me. He won’t bite you, he hasn’t any teeth. At least not yet, thank heavens.”
Michael barely breathed. Reaching out a tentative hand, he gently touched the small, soft brow of the babe.
“I love you, Mouse. For now and always.” He leaned forward, and placed a gentle kiss upon her forehead, careful not to press on the child between them.
“I love you, Michael. Now, we must be practical. For your first duty as father, you must give your son a name.”
“I was afraid that duty would fall to me. Very well, how about Michael Arthur Ellerton Kelton, the sixth Earl of Winningham.”
“Very proper, my love. Very proper.”
“Who would have thought the Mad Earl would ever come to this?” Michael asked as he watched the two of them.
“Who indeed,” Mouse placed a gentle kiss on her son’s forehead.

The End~~~

ÚÑÖ ÇáÈæã ÕæÑ æÍÏå ÝÇÖíå  

ãæÇÞÚ ÇáäÔÑ (ÇáãÝÖáÉ)
facebook

ÌÏíÏ ãæÇÖíÚ ÞÓã ÇáÇÑÔíÝ
ÃÏæÇÊ ÇáãæÖæÚ
ÇäæÇÚ ÚÑÖ ÇáãæÖæÚ

ÊÚáíãÇÊ ÇáãÔÇÑßÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÖÇÝÉ ãæÇÖíÚ ÌÏíÏÉ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÇáÑÏ Úáì ÇáãæÇÖíÚ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÅÑÝÇÞ ãáÝÇÊ
áÇ ÊÓÊØíÚ ÊÚÏíá ãÔÇÑßÇÊß