منتديات ليلاس

منتديات ليلاس (https://www.liilas.com/vb3/)
-   الروايات الاجنبية (https://www.liilas.com/vb3/f282/)
-   -   Ten Things I Hate About M & B Romance Novels !!! (https://www.liilas.com/vb3/t90199.html)

UHU 10-09-08 11:32 AM

Ten Things I Hate About M & B Romance Novels !!!

Here are the ten things I hate about Mills and Boons Modern Romances

I hate them because they are hard to find and the way they busy the mind.

I hate the way some covers are, and how they make this a bigger hassle by far.

I hate it when I lend someone one of my own and then I realized later it’s forever gone.

I hate the way I must finish the novel, have to. Even though no real hurry is necessarily due.

I hate the way their heroine is always too big this too wide that and how suddenly BOOM the flaws turn to assets just because the hero says that! *

I hate it when the heroine has to be fascinated with a foreigner, let him be Italian, Greek, even vindictive Sicilian as long he is not from around the corner!

I hate how in one second the hero is faithless and bad and in the other he is so good and so in love, he is just about mad!

I hate it when they start describing the heroine cloths – sometimes her taking showers- out of nowhere and how this telling bit is eventually leading to somewhere!

I hate how M & B plots are usually predictable, and how that makes me feel terrible!

And finally I hate to admit this and how ironic it is, but I just love them !

UHU 10-09-08 12:05 PM

That was my list , care to share what you hate about Romance Novels? It doesn't have to be M&B , just what you find funny or upsetting. The star earlier refers to this:

We woman are sadly insecure if all we do is to wait for a guy to make us accept who we are. Tell me why can’t we accept compliments from a fellow woman, let’s say a sister or a mother or even friend if you are sensitive towards relative. Why does it have to be a guy for it to matter? Better yet why don’t we see it ourselves?

Lola Ali 11-09-08 03:14 AM

UHU: I used to like you before , but now I LOVE you because you put in lovely words" that rhyme" all the things that really made me like to read historical romances more. I agree1000000% with you that unfortunately we, women, tend to disbelieve complements coming from other women because we believe that they are only trying to please us. We really do wait for the approval of the men in our lives to feel good about ourselves> I said tooooooooo much, sorry:lol:

UHU 11-09-08 11:24 AM

أشكرك والله على هالمشاعر النبيلة يا لولا علي ،هذا و الله كل من ذوقك و أنا بعد كونك أول وحدة تردين على كتاباتي صارت لج منزلة عندي ، و عسى الله يديم المحبة. بس ما قلتي لي ما في شي غير يبط جبدك في هاي الروايات؟ نبي نسمع آراء أخرى.

Lola Ali 11-09-08 06:37 PM

والله اشياء كثيره تبط القلب فيها, مثلا لازم البطل داااااااااااائما يكون اغنى من البطله والا تراها تشوف نفسها عليه خخخخخخخخخخخخخخ , و اكره كمان لمن يكون البطل عربي, تصدقين ما اذكر اني قرات روايه فيها البطل عربي لاني احس ان الكاتبات يصورون العربي على انه بربري و A sex maniac

UHU 11-09-08 07:35 PM

Sweet Lola as to the guy being richer than the heroine in the story how very true!! Even if he started modestly improvised , somehow in the middle of the way , or at times towards the end , he miraculously become as rich as crosous ! How or why no one knows! I hope he can pop out of the story and tell me his secret, because I want to be rich too so I can have my pool filled with coins and dollar bills and dive in it like uncle scrooge - Donald Duck uncle in Duck tales - !!

:party0033::party0033::party0033:

Since most of those novels depict woman's fantasies and wants , I guess this particular fantasy can only be saying one thing : Woman are greedy and they like to think of guys as their providers. See even those in western countries who keep feeling sorry for us dependent Arab women, they still think as basically as we do! How ironic!

darla 11-09-08 09:52 PM

oh.... nice topic really

i totally agree with you

but .. recently i stopped reading any M & B novels

as you said before, they are very predictable and one more thing.. that i hate, the hero is

always workaholic, why ...?? i want a hero who can manage to have both personal and

proffesional benefits

darla 11-09-08 09:53 PM

dear UHU

i encourage you to post anything you like to share with us

we're almost like family here

UHU 11-09-08 11:13 PM

Welcome darla to my topic, you have honoured me with your visit and comments. To be honest, I don’t think of people in this forum as family, but much, much more because you don’t get to pick your family, but you get to choose your friends and that in my opinion adds more value to being part of this forum.

:liilas::friends::friends::friends: :liilas:

You know what, I don’t find the hero being workaholic in those novels that upsetting, because you get to do what you get to do and life is tough, I can understand that it must be hard when you miss somebody but believe me you don’t want to have that someone stuck 24/7 on your throat! That can be really annoying! Besides it’s going to be healthy to the relationship to miss this special someone and I think it can be fun also! What I don’t get is when people marry their partner at work, I mean it would be nice to have a breather now and then! :lol::lol:I guess some people think otherwise.

I believe that workaholism is not exactly what authors are aiming for. It is just their subtle way to portray the hero’s success. And here comes another issue why does women find success such an aphrodisiac? You don’t get to hear guys fantasizing about women’s success do you? :lol::lol:

And come on , don’t tell me all of women out there are smart enough that they would appreciate having challenging partners! SO IT’S THE MONEY ISSUE AGAIN! But this time it’s in disguise and not out in your face

UHU 11-09-08 11:18 PM

Just to be fair , I can never picture myself falling in love with a loser ! He will be tortured to
death

:lol::lol::lol:

UHU 12-09-08 09:06 PM

I just remember a funny one girls, Greek-lovers might not like me for saying this but it’s true, though no offence intended to them.

WHY, WHY and WHY is the chauffeur in a Greek- hero plot is always called Yannis! I rarely get a Greek-hero story with no Yannis driver! If god intended and I got to go to Greece, I can’t help looking for the Yannises to drive me around!

I don’t think their mom knew that they sealed their destiny with this name. They will never be able to be a M & B hero
!!

darla 12-09-08 09:40 PM

dear... Yannis is very common name in Greece

its the greek version of John

anyway, alot of M& B novels & Harlequin have nothing to do with Greece except for the hero Nationality, especially the new novels

darla 12-09-08 09:46 PM

UHU... NO OFFENSE

BUT

Your username is reminded me with a Glue name, do you intend that ??

see

http://www.liillas.com/up2//uploads/...338b27cc96.jpg

looooool

UHU 12-09-08 10:05 PM

heheheh you guess right ! I was gluing an art project when I joined the forum. I couldn't think further than the fume at the time and all the good names seem to be taken

Besides I don't think the Yannises are that lucky to be associated with the Johns. I don't know if a lot of people watched Sex and the City series staring SJP, even if you did not a lot of people know that Mr Big in the last episode finally got his name exposed and it was John

UHU 15-09-08 02:14 PM

I just remembered one, in M & B novels even if the heroes are not promiscuous, they are always surrounded or dating beautiful women of course! They would probably have the sophistication and raw sensuality of a model.

Where are the ugly ducklings from all of this? See, no matter if the heroines were not sure of their image and whether if they can measure up to their precedents, they somehow end up being pampered swans!

Can’t a hero fall in love with an ordinary looking woman? And we all know, guys fall in love with ugly ducklings all the time! This is one of the much loved and discussed topics in a wedding party: The groom is prettier than the bride

Lola Ali 16-09-08 12:58 AM

UHU: you are sooooooooooo right but do not forget the proverb"الجمال في عين الرائي" ,otherwise us" ARAB" girls would have stayed at our parent's because we face a huge competition all the time with the media and everything and you know how guys" especially coming from the Gulf area" have wandering eyes

UHU 16-09-08 12:36 PM

You are right كلامك عين العقل و أنا أصلا ما أومن بأن كل الجميلات لازم يتزوجون الوسيمين و اتطنز على اللي يقولون هذا الكلام في العروس و إلا على هالحسبة إنقسمت الدنيا نصين نص حلوين Superiors ما ياخذون إلا بعض و نص جياكر inferiors على نفس المنوال، إيشلون قولولي عيل بيتعدل نسل الجياكر ههههه

الله لين يرمي المحبة بين شخصين ليه أحكام

بس ودي أقول للبطل ايلي ما يصاحب إلا الحلوات كلام الشاعرة نوال الصباح في أغنية ماجدة الرومي اللي تقول:

فلماذا تهتم لشكلي ولا تدرك عقلي ?

new-me 20-09-08 02:46 AM

موضوع اكثر من رائع

i love mills n boon simply because it's like living a dream

Every woman dream is to find the perfect guy
Ok let's face it he's too perfect in romantic novel but whom I to object.
I hate it when the heroine is too submissive , but in general I like young , beautiful and poor heroine oh and hate when they have children or if there is a baby on the way , they don't sound or act like any children I know

Lola Ali 20-09-08 04:32 AM

اقتباس:

المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة new-me (المشاركة 1654149)
موضوع اكثر من رائع

i love mills n boon simply because it's like living a dream

Every woman dream is to find the perfect guy
Ok let's face it he's too perfect in romantic novel but whom I to object.
I hate it when the heroine is too submissive , but in general I like young , beautiful and poor heroine oh and hate when they have children or if there is a baby on the way , they don't sound or act like any children I know

New-me, I missed having you around:friends: and I think we are kindred spirits, because like you I hate submissive heroines , and you are right about children in the novels but MAYBE, just maybe they are like that in the West, but definitely not in the east:lol:

UHU 20-09-08 08:59 AM

Lola , new - me kids are kids everywhere unless they are from other planet like planet M & B ! Heheh , I too like it when the heroine is unattached. One thing I also wonder about is how guys are hunky and interesting in the heroine's workplace when in real life most people I work with are outdated and boring! Heheheh

UHU 20-09-08 10:07 AM

They call this Fictional Arabia

! Come and see

This map is outdated little bit , but isn't funny how those romantic readers view Arabia! The countries are named after what the authors called them . Check Quamar it is where Lynne Graham have her Arabian Marriage story

Go and visit the website and click at any country you fancy and you would get a synopsis of the story behind the country! It is really creepy what fans can do

http://www.sheikhs-and-desert-love.c..._location.html

I know we all hate the Arab heroes but I guess they have more than enough fans to make up for the loss. There are other funny website mainly blogs, I sometimes just peak and make fun of their comments

I am evil I know , but how stupid people can be. The irony of this is, Greek people might think the same of us when they read how we love their heros

sommanha 21-09-08 06:47 AM

Hello sweet

UHU غناتي

موضوعج يهبل أتفق معاج في كل اللي قلتيه

خاصة صعب أني الاقيهم في اي مكان

و إذا أحد أخذ من عندي رواية أقول لها باي باي ما راح أشوفها

و أنا أكره الروايات اللي البطل عربي تجيني حساسية في جسمي ما أقدر عليها

مرة غلطت و أخذت رواية البطل فيها عربي يوه كان يوم منيل بستين نيلة قعدت مضايقة

مع أن عندي روايات تهبل و حلوة غيرها لكن كل ما أفكر فيها ودي أشققها

و قرأتها على طشاش و لا الرواية النحيسة ما أحد استعارها مني عشان ما ترد

و لا حد يسألني عن أسمها لأني لحد الحين ماني عارفة أحداثها بالضبط

و ان كانت تدور في مصر

أكره في الروايات أن لازم فيها يكون واحد حقود يعني حنش أو تكون هناك حية

أو أن البطل ميت في البطلة و هي الخبلة أخر من يدري تعزز و تدلع بس لو البطل .........

عيب رقابة

ضحكتني الخريطة العربية صج ما درسناها فين تكون موقعها في العالم

ربي يسلمك على روح النكتة يا حلوة البحرين

http://www.liillas.com/up2//uploads/...39b6e5e013.gif

سوسو

UHU 21-09-08 09:40 AM

سوسو شهرزادي ضحكتيني يوم قلتي الرواية ايلي بطلها عربي محد يستعيرها. مسكينةحالها واقف مثل عانس يبون أهلها يتخلصون منها ... لو دروا عنك أصحاب الموقع يلي بيه الخريطة !!!!

أنا معاك البطلة الخبلة يلي ما تعرف ويش تبي غرقانة في العسل! ههههه! أصلا تشوفينها تتهيبل حق تاخذ زود !

و أما عن موقع الخريطة أتوقع إنها بالسما السابعة ويا الغيوم و الأحلام !

مشكورة على زيارتك لي شرفتيني

:friends::friends::friends:

ruba 22-09-08 02:29 AM

hey uhu..great topic...love the way you write..you have away with it!!..that mape....omg...ppl are so stupid...i agree that the heroen should be strong..or else..there wont be a story..or there would be a lame one!!soso..that was funny..the same happens with alot of ppl..the novels that i like the least are always there!!!
i have question for you..why do you hate to be the novel about an arab guy..i dont like it because its weird to imagine an arab doing al that and because i grow picturing foreign men in my mind..but wht about you? the same or do youhave other reasons?

UHU 22-09-08 11:49 AM

Ruba , Arabs in M B & novels are weird breeds. They have some
Irish blood or sometimes French because no one wants a fully blooded Arab character !! They talk and act like barbarians with nothing to promote them except their sensuality. They don't like brainy heroines and prefer to have them confined in luxury . They are incapable of saying honeyed words but they always know what presents to give. In other words tough love

The consistent theme in those stories is mostly kidnapping and concubines ! Yeah right, because there is no authorities and no angered families the girls go to later !! I don't like them because they have some freaky ideas and habits I don't know where the authors picked them and included them in the story ! Like giving his virgin bride a thorough washing himself in a bath tub before the marriage, who does that? Or worse, strange women enhancing the heroine beauty for the big day and covering a particular intimate body part of her with henna !! Yuk, I shall not list more

To conclude , because we live in the Arab world we know what a fib the story is , that's why we don't enjoy it

ruba 22-09-08 08:42 PM

uhu..i never knew that!! i never read novels from M&B with arab heros ..i just read some knew ones that has some weird stuff like kidnapping but thats it..the other stuff you mentioned i´ve never read..no wonder you dont like them!!..but still , without these creepy things..i really dont like the hero t be an arab..its just weird..and i dont think the authors have ever met an arab before or gone to an arab country for that matter

UHU 24-09-08 06:00 PM

Quoting from Sara Craven's one night with his virgin mistress

"once again his presence in a room seemed to make it shrink in some inexplicable way, making her feel as if she needed to edge round it, pressing herself flat against the units in order to avoid physical contact with him. Which was absurd."

Yeah sure it's absurd !! cause the room is not a shirt in a washing machine or even soaked in a warm water for it to shrink!! I am sick of the authors using this phrase again and again in their M & B stories that I sometimes feel like being in that fabric softner ad with the fabric characters in their fabric world !!

Ladies be creative ,please

teeto200 08-01-11 04:59 AM

like it thxxxxxxxxxxxx

fara.fara 02-05-11 03:28 AM

I have to agree :D

fara.fara 02-05-11 03:30 AM

and you forget to say, the fact that these stories will never happen to us :peace:

الساعة الآن 03:10 PM.